HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 27
Re: Highschool Football 2013
Posted by: RootBoy ()
Date: October 23, 2013 06:40PM

RydellRoad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who are you all kidding? South County runs that
> hurry up offense that is aided to a great extent
> by the refs. Those old and overweight refs hustle
> so hard to get the ball spotted for SoCo they
> don't even have time to check men on the field,
> illegal formations and motion. SoCo is frequently
> snapping the ball with multiple players moving at
> the line of scrimmage or not set and it is never
> called. I think the refs are afraid of Panonni -
> I've seen line judges way out of position when the
> ball was snapped because they are in such a hurry
> aid Soco to quick snap.

Actually you are wrong on that. SC does run an uptempo offense (which frequently tires out a defense - Chantilly D was panting with hands on knees at times in that game), and it is often ready and waiting at the line of scrimmage for the umpire to set the ball and the ref to blow the whistle. I've seen illegal motion with SC maybe once or twice this season. The refs actually slow them down many times. What I have seen them have problem with is holding, especially on the back side of a play. If they can teach their OL line to engage properly and let go when the play has gone by, they will be alright. Even with all these penalties, they score a lot. They SHOULD have won the TC game (but by a lot larger margin), and they SHOULD have won the Chantilly game. I would love to see a rematch with Chantilly in the playoffs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Thatguy ()
Date: October 24, 2013 12:26AM

To anyone who still cares about WS, well we're doing about as well as can be expected for a team who lost at least 3 D1 athletes last year and left little to no one behind. As far as I can tell, we have some decent kids but that keeps getting overshadowed by the fact that almost every team we've played so far has had one or two amazing players on top of an already well rounded team. It would also help if the coaches could make decisions about anything, half the time they're either yelling at the kids for something another coach said or yelling at each other. Honestly I just can't wait for the season to be over, at least we wont have to worry about it going longer than usual, though knowing us we'll find a way to lose to Woodson just in case we ever thought we had a chance.

Posted by: PAYK ()
Date: October 24, 2013 07:44AM

The only reason soco lost the chantilly game was the fact that soco had lost 3 of their top four runningbacks to injury, one who plays defense

Posted by: A coach ()
Date: October 24, 2013 09:27AM

The refs are the only sane one's out there. At least they are getting paid.

And before you jump on that, yes, I know, coaches get paid as well. My first year I think it worked out to 37 cents an hour. Ooooh, I think I can retire now.

As for SoCo, they get flagged a lot because they commit a lot of penalties. It's cause and effect. They also have been "Braddockized" in that they see no issue with throwing deep or going for two when they are up 35-40 points. That type of stuff tends to linger long in coaches memories and paybacks will be sweet . . .

Posted by: ?????? ()
Date: October 24, 2013 10:59AM

When has soco done that this year?

Posted by: random football question ()
Date: October 24, 2013 11:13AM

I have daughters so while I go to a lot of HS football games I don't have kids directly involved in it. For all the HS football experts out there I was wondering in general how much of an indicator of future success is the success of HS freshmen and JV football teams?

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: October 24, 2013 11:39AM

There's not really a translation some schools bring up their best players from those grades and play varsity and others just dominate on fresh/jv

Date: October 24, 2013 08:17PM

PAYK Wrote:
> The only reason soco lost the chantilly game was
> the fact that soco had lost 3 of their top four
> runningbacks to injury, one who plays defense

The SC secondary also got beat several times on critical plays during Chantilly's comeback in the 4th qtr. Most of the game, SoCo was dominating on the ground and controlling the ball, even with two of the three starting running backs out. SoCo still could have won the game with a field goal on their final drive, except the ref did not call an obvious offsides foul by a blister, who blindsided the SC QB for a fumble. The calls were definitely mostly one-sided in that game.

Date: October 24, 2013 08:19PM

blitzer

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: October 24, 2013 10:07PM

RootBoy Wrote:
> PAYK Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The only reason soco lost the chantilly game
> was
> > the fact that soco had lost 3 of their top four
> > runningbacks to injury, one who plays defense
>
> The SC secondary also got beat several times on
> critical plays during Chantilly's comeback in the
> 4th qtr. Most of the game, SoCo was dominating on
> the ground and controlling the ball, even with two
> of the three starting running backs out. SoCo
> still could have won the game with a field goal on
> their final drive, except the ref did not call an
> obvious offsides foul by a blister, who blindsided
> the SC QB for a fumble. The calls were definitely
> mostly one-sided in that game.

These South County excuses are comical. Chantilly's starting running back didn't play in the game either, it's all about who was there. Then that offside sack-fumble was not an offside, go back and look at the Gameday Magazine Top 10 plays for that week and there is video evidence that play was clean as anything.

I look forward to the excuses next week when you get steam-rolled by Lake Braddock.

Posted by: nat4lee ()
Date: October 24, 2013 10:13PM

So what this new playoff thing means, in the simplest language I can give you, is that the 6A North group will hold a 4-week long, 16-team, single-elimination playoff and crown a 6A North champion (although there is NO regional trophy given for this win?!!) and then that winner will play the 6A South champion in the state title game. Under this plan, the 6A North group and the 6A South group title games are essentially the state semifinals. The same deal goes for the 5A North and South title games.

The rounds have been given silly names. Here goes for 5A North and 6A North:

First round (Sixteen Teams) -- Nov. 15, 2013
Second Round (Eight Teams) -- Nov. 22, 2013
Third Round (Region Quarterfinals) -- Nov. 29, 2013
VHSL State Semifinals (i.e., Region Final) -- Dec. 6, 2013
VHSL State Championships -- Dec. 14, 2013 at UVA in Charlottesville

If your head hurts, don't read any further. Mine does too. I will now start talking about the playoffs for the teams outside the Fairfax area.

In the 5A and 6A South Regions, The football teams have been playing in assigned conferences (the only teams in the state to do so?!!), of which only the top EIGHT teams will be going to a shortened 3-week playoff (i.e., they have one less game to play than our teams in the north to reach the title game against us). Annoying, yes?

The group 4A teams, north and south, will have the same 16-team playoff I described in the beginning. Moving on.

The 1A, 2A, and 3A teams will play a modified 16-team playoff with a catch. The cross bracket semifinals means that, for example, the 16-team 3A East playoffs will not crown a 3A East champion but when two teams remain, they will then face the final two teams from 3A West in the semifinals. Under this plan a state final could include two teams from 3A East.

I think that covers everything.

Date: October 24, 2013 10:17PM

steve k2 Wrote:
> RootBoy Wrote:
> -----
> > PAYK Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > The only reason soco lost the chantilly game
> > was
> > > the fact that soco had lost 3 of their top
> four
> > > runningbacks to injury, one who plays defense
> >
> > The SC secondary also got beat several times on
> > critical plays during Chantilly's comeback in
> the
> > 4th qtr. Most of the game, SoCo was dominating
> on
> > the ground and controlling the ball, even with
> two
> > of the three starting running backs out. SoCo
> > still could have won the game with a field goal
> on
> > their final drive, except the ref did not call
> an
> > obvious offsides foul by a blister, who
> blindsided
> > the SC QB for a fumble. The calls were
> definitely
> > mostly one-sided in that game.
>
>
> These South County excuses are comical.
> Chantilly's starting running back didn't play in
> the game either, it's all about who was there.
> Then that offside sack-fumble was not an offside,
> go back and look at the Gameday Magazine Top 10
> plays for that week and there is video evidence
> that play was clean as anything.
>
> I look forward to the excuses next week when you
> get steam-rolled by Lake Braddock.

The Chantilly player was in the neutral zone when the ball was snapped. Whatever. It's high school football. You take what you get, with the players you have on the field, the refs you have on the field, bad calls included. We'll see who gets steamrolled bright boy.

Posted by: tonight's fun ()
Date: October 25, 2013 08:14AM

I'll be driving up to watch Chantilly play against Yorktown tonight, I think that will be the most interesting and fun to watch game in the area, although you might make a case for Lake Braddock and T.C. Williams.

What great games are people going to watch tonight?

Posted by: Yorktown Fan ()
Date: October 25, 2013 08:41AM

MJ Stewart is a game time decision and without him Chantilly should win easily.

Posted by: sat ()
Date: October 25, 2013 09:06AM

tonight's fun Wrote:
> I'll be driving up to watch Chantilly play against
> Yorktown tonight, I think that will be the most
> interesting and fun to watch game in the area,
> although you might make a case for Lake Braddock
> and T.C. Williams.
>
> What great games are people going to watch
> tonight?

The LB and TC game is Sat at 3pm

Posted by: trey ()
Date: October 25, 2013 10:53AM

no MJ & the game costs $6? anndddd it's gonna be cold? ill pass..

Posted by: spartanjoke ()
Date: October 25, 2013 11:36AM

The WS supporters- and more importantly and sadly the players are victims of vapid leadership in the admin at WS- from the DSS to the 'coaches'. They have had good freshmen coaches and teams but when they get to the jv and varsity 'coaches' they disappear. Kids only have 4 years to play high school football and the clowns that do not want to (can't) improve the environment at WS will continue to miss out on great experiences. Wins and losses are a small part of the problem- leadership and character are sorely lacking. Getting thrown out of a jv game you are not even coaching in? Really? Should have been fired on the spot. Didn't think the principal could be less effective than the last but it is much worse. Until FCPS steps in and makes changes people will have to hear 'what the hell is happening to West Springfield?' everywhere they go.

Posted by: a coach ()
Date: October 25, 2013 12:00PM

"Getting thrown out of a jv game you are not even coaching in?"

What and when was this?

Posted by: marshall at new low ()
Date: October 25, 2013 07:18PM

Someone check my math, but isn't this 20 losses in a row for that sorry excuse for a team over at Marshall? It seems they have found a way to hit rock bottom and still keep digging.

Posted by: TJ FAN2 ()
Date: October 25, 2013 08:32PM

Wow, this Langley-TJ game is getting very out of hand. 48-0 early in the 2nd. TJ is a 4-3 football team, with a couple 40 point wins of their own. Didn't expect them to be very close against Langley, but they're getting drubbed.

Posted by: TVGTY ()
Date: October 25, 2013 09:56PM

Chantilly falls to Yorktown without MJ Stewart, 30-28. Tough loss for the Chargers who finish with red hot Robinson and Westfield.

The win would have given them a considerable jump in power points, now, very realistically they may be looking at a 13-16 seed in the playoffs.

Posted by: Off Week ()
Date: October 25, 2013 10:13PM

Not looking to be one of stevek2's better weeks in terms of predictions or spreads.

Posted by: NR Fanatic ()
Date: October 25, 2013 10:17PM

steve is the man, we all have off weeks.

Posted by: TheFan ()
Date: October 25, 2013 11:27PM

South County's secondary is absolutely horrible. Couldn't even stop a pathetic Woodson offense that consisted of quick fades and slants. This needs to be fixed or they'll have no shot at lake Braddock next week

Posted by: football ()
Date: October 25, 2013 11:33PM

did soco win?

Posted by: Hs ()
Date: October 25, 2013 11:33PM

The Refs hate soco

Posted by: G-4 ()
Date: October 25, 2013 11:34PM

Yeah 42-17

Posted by: Chuck Bable ()
Date: October 25, 2013 11:36PM

Can easily agree with that, but once again offensively they dominated the ball.If south county has any sense they will invest in using some of their athletes in the deffensive back field. Once again one of the worst officiated games I have seen. The referees continue to just tack on ridiculously absurd penalties. But still a very solid showing from south county. Next week will be a great game
To watch

Posted by: Itk ()
Date: October 25, 2013 11:39PM

#2 on soco got injured the 2nd drive and he is their best db

Posted by: ????? ()
Date: October 25, 2013 11:42PM

What were scores????

Posted by: Jagneck ()
Date: October 26, 2013 12:05AM

Falls Church beats Edison 49-26, the Jags are now 6-2!!!!

Posted by: Someone ()
Date: October 26, 2013 06:41AM

The refs penalized sc because they came out late because the ref had told them that they had 5 more minutes at halftime

Posted by: Stallion not Italian ()
Date: October 26, 2013 08:56AM

SOCO did not impress this scout. LB should win next week in a romp... something like 55 - 21. SOCO has issues on defense. Need to improve against the pass. LB will pass & score at will. LB will shut down SOCO option pitch sweep (WTW did not). SOCO will most likely hurt themselves with holding penalties (I lost count against WTW); not to mention the many uncalled holding and crack back block penalties. SOCO has serious player and coach composure issues (from coach to player for all to hear: "Get your a-- off the field!!!) As a result, several personal fouls called against them. SOCO lacks a coherent passing game. LB will have a pick six for sure. SOCO's offense is no huddle/muddle, and it wore down WTW which plays many players both ways. LB will not be stressed. SOCO goes for it most times on 4th and under ten. Will backfire against a good team. SOCO has a solid kicking game... low kicks to goal line and kicker will make 40 and under FGs. SOCO plays man to man tight coverage on the outside, thus can be beat on flys, fades, and back shoulder throws. Also can be beat on quick slant. Pass rush is OK, but d-line weak against QB draw/delay/scramble.

On a side note, I was surprised by overall lack of Friday night football sprit/enthusiasm at SOCO. Last reg season home game on Senior Night and the home stands were half full (and its a smallish bleacher). You'd think a 7 - 1 team with a recent history of success would have more support.

Posted by: Woodson Fan ()
Date: October 26, 2013 01:19PM

I see a lot of SOCO hate on this board. We (woodson) are not a very good team but we have a good wide receiver and our QB just was doing quick 1 or 3 step drops and throwing with some success in 1st half.. Caught soco off guard a little in first half. in 2nd half SOCO pressed receivers and completely shut us down. We only had 3 completions in the 2nd half and like 11 yards passing in the 2nd half. SOCO also shut down our run and dominated us in the 2nd half. SOCO does have a couple good DBs but it look like they were playing inside with those guys in the 1st half to stop the wing t. There 1 CB that covered our best WR in 2nd half is legit. I think all of the neg talk about how bad soco is may help Lake braddock take them lightly. Looking forward to hearing how that game turns out. If braddock wins no big deal they are favored.

Posted by: Ludwig ()
Date: October 26, 2013 01:32PM

Need scores?? Can't wait?? Well here ya go...........

http://www.maxpreps.com/scoreboard/football/state/virginia.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 01:32PM by Ludwig.

Date: October 26, 2013 04:18PM

Here's a list of game finals from Friday the 25th (last night).

Battlefield 14, Osbourn Park 10
Briar Woods 43, Park View 0
Broad Run 55, Potomac Falls 0
Centreville 53, Washington-Lee 7
Clarke County 33, Manassas Park 6
Fairfax 51, Marshall 22
Falls Church 49, Edison 26
Forest Park 49, Gar-Field 0
George Mason 42, William Monroe 26
Hayfield 40, Mount Vernon 16
C.D. Hylton 34, Freedom-Woodbridge 0
Kettle Run 35, Brentsville 13
Langley 62, Jefferson 7
Loudoun County 17, John Champe 0
Loudoun Valley 41, Heritage 0
McLean 42, Madison 7
Robinson 41, Oakton 21
South County 42, W.T. Woodson 17
Stone Bridge 41, South Lakes 13
Stonewall Jackson 21, Osbourn 7
Stuart 41, Wakefield 7
West Potomac 51, Lee 38
West Springfield 17, Annandale 14
Westfield 62, Herndon 28
Woodbridge 27, Potomac 0
Woodgrove 38, Dominion 0
Yorktown 30, Chantilly 28

Posted by: Joe Gibbs ()
Date: October 26, 2013 04:19PM

Here's an honest question for all those local HS football fans. Will the WTW Head Football Coach get fired after this season? How often do coaches have 3 straight 1-9 or 2-8 seasons and still keep their job as football coach? 5 wins TOTAL in 3 seasons is bad even for WTW... So the question is - Does he stay or does he go at the end of the season???

Posted by: The General ()
Date: October 26, 2013 04:50PM

nat4lee Wrote:
> Here's a list of game finals from Friday the 25th
> (last night).
>
> Battlefield 14, Osbourn Park 10
> Briar Woods 43, Park View 0
> Broad Run 55, Potomac Falls 0
> Centreville 53, Washington-Lee 7
> Clarke County 33, Manassas Park 6
> Fairfax 51, Marshall 22
> Falls Church 49, Edison 26
> Forest Park 49, Gar-Field 0
> George Mason 42, William Monroe 26
> Hayfield 40, Mount Vernon 16
> C.D. Hylton 34, Freedom-Woodbridge 0
> Kettle Run 35, Brentsville 13
> Langley 62, Jefferson 7
> Loudoun County 17, John Champe 0
> Loudoun Valley 41, Heritage 0
> McLean 42, Madison 7
> Robinson 41, Oakton 21
> South County 42, W.T. Woodson 17
> Stone Bridge 41, South Lakes 13
> Stonewall Jackson 21, Osbourn 7
> Stuart 41, Wakefield 7
> West Potomac 51, Lee 38
> West Springfield 17, Annandale 14
> Westfield 62, Herndon 28
> Woodbridge 27, Potomac 0
> Woodgrove 38, Dominion 0
> Yorktown 30, Chantilly 28

Thanks for this. Looks like those who thought the Chantilly-Yorktown game would be one of the best games yesterday were right.

Surprised that Langley, McLean and Stuart all won by such big margins last night.

Posted by: TC Williams v LB? ()
Date: October 26, 2013 04:56PM

Score for TC Williams v Lake Braddock?

Posted by: Saturday Afternoon Fan ()
Date: October 26, 2013 04:56PM

At the TC LB game. Second Half just started. 31-0
LB. Gerry Panoni is here a few rows away, and he's shitting a
brick.

Posted by: Barry Newman ()
Date: October 26, 2013 06:04PM

Does anyone know whats going on with Mount Vernon and their season? (if anyone even cares lol) as a mv alumni and being away from the community for awhile i just want to know why my team keeps losing, 40-16 Loss vs hayfield wow

Posted by: DC76 ()
Date: October 26, 2013 06:35PM

Thanks for the sportsmanship from the Langley coaches who continued to play Casso into the 4th quarter with a 50+ point lead

Posted by: EasternVaFan ()
Date: October 26, 2013 06:39PM

Modarn Man Wrote:
> Ocean Lakes football team is half black half
> white. Kellam is like 2/3 white. Cox is mostly all
> white. No one up here knows anything about the
> beach schools except that they are good. really
> good. And that's the truth.

Your back up is right here--proud to be from the beach and have come to love the football up here, too. Schools are bigger up here but you see a lot of players from both places on college rosters. Saw Yorktown beat SoCo in last year's D5 playoffs and it reminded me of a typical game at the beach. Speed and intensity comparable. Phoebus was down last hear but I was still surprised to see Lake Taylor spank them and beat Stone Bridge at UVA. This year, I saw LB up here beat Westfield and can see why people like LB's O.

Date: October 26, 2013 06:47PM

newgatedenizen Wrote:
> Oscar Smith Wrote:
> -----
> > Ain't no way these high schools up here are
> going
> > to beat one of those high schools from the
> Beach
> > area.
>
> Why would you say that? A "Beach" team has only
> won 3 of the last 17 state titles. During that
> same time period "NOVA" teams have won 12.

So u aren't counting Phoebus and its titles? Ask Stone Bridge about Phoebus. Then take a look at who plays in college and how well they do. The beach schools are smaller but still play good FB. It's stupid for anybody to say that teams from NOVA or the beach can't play.

Posted by: Harry D ()
Date: October 26, 2013 06:53PM

LB 44, TC Williams 0 - Can't believe LB shutout a very talented and athletic TC team even though I knew LB was going to win

And Mount Vernon is actually not that bad. Their only losses have came against quality teams.

Posted by: OWH73 ()
Date: October 26, 2013 07:14PM

DC76 Wrote:
> Thanks for the sportsmanship from the Langley
> coaches who continued to play Casso into the 4th
> quarter with a 50+ point lead

Langley was up 55-0 at the half and the second half was 7-7. So I'd say Langley does deserve good sportsmanship credit for dialing it back in the second half against TJ.

Date: October 26, 2013 07:31PM

Football Fever Wrote:
> So if South County gets their defense fixed and
> the refs stop calling all bad games on them, they
> could win it all.
>
> South County has played 5 sub-500 teams and lost
> to one of the two over-.500 teams and probably
> should have lost to the other. I will say that
> they score immensley on each team but their
> defense, which got them to the state finals two
> years ago, will fail them this year. Doubt they
> will make it to Thanksgiving weekend
>
> Next week, Lake Braddock is the test. LB has 4
> shutouts to 2-5 teams or worse. While impressive,
> they gave up many points to a quality WF team.
> That will definitely be the game of week 10.

Soco's state final team was right after the team moved from D6 to D5. SoCo has never had success in D6 playoffs. What about this year? Good so far, but they did lose to Chantilly, which just lost to Yorktown even though Stewart sat. SoCo is on the way up but will probably struggle with LB. Then again, who wouldn't?

Date: October 26, 2013 09:01PM

Barry Newman Wrote:
> Does anyone know whats going on with Mount Vernon
> and their season? (if anyone even cares lol) as a
> mv alumni and being away from the community for
> awhile i just want to know why my team keeps
> losing, 40-16 Loss vs hayfield wow

Mount Vernon is poised to probably finish the season at a respectable 4-6 (they are 3-5 now) and that record is good enough for them to comfortably enter into the Group 5A North playoffs as a double-digit seed. There is nothing atrociously bad about the team, and a loss to neighboring school and rival? Hayfield is nothing to cry over.

Posted by: Lies ()
Date: October 26, 2013 09:47PM

that is not true casso came out at after one drive in the 3rd quarter, not the coachs fault T.J. let 55 points in the first half

Posted by: ryan ()
Date: October 26, 2013 09:53PM

since 10/31/08 Marshall has won 4 games....yes 4.. wow lol

Posted by: Barry Newman ()
Date: October 26, 2013 09:57PM

Assuming mount Vernon loses to Yorktown and they beat Wakefield , they will make playoffs?

Posted by: Secretary of Defense ()
Date: October 26, 2013 10:05PM

You best believe Braddock is for real dawg!

Posted by: football ()
Date: October 26, 2013 10:19PM

centreville will kill lake braddock in the playoffs

Date: October 26, 2013 10:29PM

Here are the official district standings for the teams in the Fairfax area through week nine of the season, with just two weeks of play left on the regular season schedule.

Cardinal District **CHAMPION UNDETERMINED**
-----------------------------------------------

#1. Cecil D. Hylton (Woodbridge, 6A-South) -- 7-1 district, 7-1 overall
#2. Forest Park (Woodbridge, 6A-South) -- 6-2 district, 6-2 overall
#3. Patriot (Nokesville, 6A-North) -- 6-2 district, 6-2 overall
#4. Battlefield (Haymarket, 6A-North) -- 6-3 district, 6-3 overall
#5. Woodbridge (Woodbridge, 6A-South) -- 5-3 district, 5-3 overall
#6. Stonewall Jackson (Manassas, 6A-North) -- 5-4 district, 5-4 overall
#7. Potomac (Dumfries, 5A-North) -- 3-5 district, 3-5 overall
#7. Freedom (Woodbridge, 5A-North) -- 3-5 district, 3-5 overall
#9. Osbourn Park (Manassas, 6A-North) -- 2-6 district, 2-6 overall
#9. Osbourn (Manassas, 6A-North) -- 2-6 district, 2-6 overall
#11. Gar-Field (Woodbridge, 6A-South) -- 0-8 district, 0-8 overall

Commonwealth District **CHAMPION: MASSAPONAX**
----------------------------------------------------

#1. Massaponax (Fredericksburg, 5A-North) -- 5-0 district, 9-0 overall
#2. North Stafford (Stafford, 5A-North) -- 3-2 district, 7-2 overall
#3. Mountain View (Stafford, 5A-North) -- 2-2 district, 5-3 overall
#4. Colonial Forge (Stafford, 6A-South) -- 2-2 district, 5-3 overall
#5. Riverbend (Fredericksburg, 6A-South) -- 1-3 district, 5-3 overall
#6. Brooke Point (Stafford, 5A-North) -- 1-3 district, 2-6 overall
#7. Stafford (Fredericksburg, 6A-South) -- 1-3 district, 1-7 overall

Concorde District **CHAMPION UNDETERMINED**
-------------------------------------------------

#1. Centreville (Clifton, 6A-North) -- 3-0 district, 8-0 overall
#2. Westfield (Chantilly, 6A-North) -- 2-1 district, 6-2 overall
#3. James W. Robinson (Fairfax, 6A-North) -- 2-1 district, 6-2 overall
#4. Chantilly (Chantilly, 6A-North) -- 2-1 district, 5-3 overall
#5. Oakton (Vienna, 6A-North) -- 0-3 district, 4-4 overall
#6. Herndon (Herndon, 6A-North) -- 0-3 district, 1-7 overall

Liberty District **CHAMPION UNDETERMINED**
------------------------------------------------

#1. Stone Bridge (Ashburn, 5A-North) -- 5-0 district, 6-2 overall
#2. Langley (McLean, 6A-North) -- 4-1 district, 6-2 overall
#3. Fairfax (Fairfax, 6A-North) -- 4-1 district, 6-2 overall
#4. McLean (McLean, 6A-North) -- 3-2 district, 4-4 overall
#5. South Lakes (Reston, 6A-North) -- 2-3 district, 4-4 overall
#6. Thomas Jefferson (Alexandria, 5A-North) -- 2-3 district, 4-4 overall
#7. James Madison (Vienna, 6A-North) -- 0-5 district, 0-8 overall
#7. George C. Marshall (Falls Church, 5A-North) -- 0-5 district, 0-8 overall

National District **CHAMPION UNDETERMINED**
-------------------------------------------------

#1. Yorktown (Arlington, 6A-North) -- 5-0 district, 7-1 overall
#2. Washington-Lee (Arlington, 6A-North) -- 5-0 district, 6-2 overall
#3. Falls Church (Falls Church, 5A-North) -- 3-2 district, 6-2 overall
#4. Hayfield (Alexandria, 6A-North) -- 3-2 district, 3-5 overall
#5. Mount Vernon (Alexandria, 5A-North) -- 2-3 district, 3-5 overall
#6. Thomas A. Edison (Alexandria, 5A-North) -- 1-4 district, 2-6 overall
#6. J.E.B. Stuart (Falls Church, 5A-North) -- 1-4 district, 2-6 overall
#8. Wakefield (Arlington, 5A-North) -- 0-5 district, 2-6 overall

Patriot District **CHAMPION UNDETERMINED**

#1. Lake Braddock (Burke, 6A-North) -- 5-0 district, 8-0 overall
#2. South County (Lorton, 6A-North) -- 5-0 district, 7-1 overall
#3. Thomas C. Williams (Alexandria, 6A-North) -- 3-2 district, 5-3 overall
#4. West Potomac (Alexandria, 6A-North) -- 2-2 district, 3-5 overall
#5. West Springfield (Springfield, 6A-North) -- 2-3 district, 3-5 overall
#6. Wilburt T. Woodson (Fairfax, 6A-North) -- 1-3 district, 1-7 overall
#7. Robert E. Lee (Springfield, 5A-North) -- 1-4 district, 2-6 overall
#8. Annandale (Annandale, 6A-North) -- 0-5 district, 1-7 overall

Potomac District **CHAMPION UNDETERMINED**

#1. Briar Woods (Ashburn, 5A-North) -- 2-0 district, 7-1 overall
#2. Broad Run (Ashburn, 5A-North) -- 2-1 district, 6-2 overall
#3. Tuscarora (Leesburg, 5A-North) -- 1-1 district, 7-1 overall
#4. Potomac Falls (Sterling, 5A-North) -- 1-2 district, 4-4 overall
#5. Freedom (South Riding, 5A-North) -- 0-2 district, 1-7 overall

Posted by: Steven P ()
Date: October 26, 2013 10:31PM

After watching both LB and South County play, it is clear to me it will be a fantastic game. The offenses are pretty even in terms of talent, but I would certainly give the edge to SOCO. Lake Braddock's Defense is a lot more sound, however TC's receivers were getting behind the LB defense with ease....just didnt have accurate throws. I expect a high scoring game. LB could easily have 1-3 losses if it wasn't for an injured Joe Wilson (Robinson) and 2 game winning drives. SOCO has had problems getting up for games against weak opponents so that wont be a problem vs LB. SOCO was up 21-0 vs TC very early, but lost focus. LB is a lot more discipline than South County. If SOCO can cut out the penalties and the sloppy play vs LB, I like their chances.

Date: October 26, 2013 11:18PM

Here are the official playoff standings through week nine as posted by the Virginia High School League just a couple of hours ago.

Group 6A North Playoff Standings
--------------------------------------

Winner of the 6A North playoff will play winner of the 6A South for state title.

#1. Centreville (8-0) -- Rating: 34.75
#2. Lake Braddock (8-0) -- Rating: 33.63
#3. Westfield (6-2) -- Rating: 31.38
#4. Langley (6-2) -- Rating: 30.88
#5. South County (7-1) -- Rating: 30.00
#6. Yorktown (7-1) -- Rating: 30.00
#7. Washington-Lee (6-2) -- Rating: 29.50
#8. Patriot (6-2) -- Rating: 29.38
#9. Thomas C. Williams (5-3) -- Rating: 27.88
#10. Battlefield (6-3) -- Rating: 27.56
#11. Chantilly (5-3) -- Rating: 27.50
#12. Fairfax (6-2) -- Rating: 27.50
#13. James W. Robinson (6-2) -- Rating: 27.25
#14. Stonewall Jackson-Manassas (5-4) -- Rating: 26.44
#15. South Lakes (4-4) -- Rating: 25.50
#16. Hayfield (3-5) -- Rating: 24.50
----------------------------------------------
TOP 16 TEAMS ADVANCE TO REGIONAL PLAYOFFS
#17. Oakton (4-4) -- Rating: 24.25
#18. McLean (4-4) -- Rating: 24.13
#19. West Potomac (3-5) -- Rating: 24.13
#20. West Springfield (3-5) -- Rating: 22.88
#21. Osbourn Park (2-6) -- Rating: 22.25
#22. Osbourn (2-6) -- Rating: 22.13
#23. Wilburt T. Woodson (1-7) -- Rating: 20.63
#24. Herndon (1-7) -- Rating: 19.63
#25. Annandale (1-7) -- Rating: 19.38
#26. James Madison (0-8) -- Rating: 18.88

If the 6A North playoffs started today, here are the games:

#16 Hayfield (3-5) at #1 Centreville (8-0)
#15 South Lakes (4-4) at #2 Lake Braddock (8-0)
#14 Stonewall Jackson-Manassas (5-4) at #3 Westfield (6-2)
#13 James W. Robinson (6-2) at #4 Langley (6-2)
#12 Fairfax (6-2) at #5 South County (7-1)
#11 Chantilly (5-3) at #6 Yorktown (7-1)
#10 Battlefield (6-3) at #7 Washingtin-Lee (6-2)
#9 Thomas C. Williams (5-3) at #8 Patriot (6-2)

Group 5A North Playoff Standings
-----------------------------------

Winner of the 5A North playoff will play winner of the 5A South for state title.

#1. Massaponax (9-0) -- Rating: 33.11
#2. Tuscarora (7-1) -- Rating: 31.38
#3. Briar Woods (7-1) -- Rating: 29.50
#4. Stone Bridge (6-2) -- Rating: 29.25
#5. North Stafford (7-2) -- Rating: 29.11
#6. Broad Run (6-2) -- Rating: 27.63
#7. Falls Church (6-2) -- Rating: 27.63
#8. Mountain View (5-3) -- Rating: 27.50
#9. Albemarle (5-3) -- Rating: 27.00
#10. Freedom-Woodbridge (3-5) -- Rating: 24.63
#11. Potomac (3-5) -- Rating: 23.00
#12. Thomas Jefferson-Alexandria (4-4) -- Rating: 22.75
#13. Mount Vernon (3-5) -- Rating: 22.50
#14. Potomac Falls (4-4) -- Rating: 21.63
#15. Robert E. Lee (2-6) -- Rating: 21.13
#16. Brooke Point (2-6) -- Rating: 20.63
TOP 16 TEAMS ADVANCE TO REGIONAL PLAYOFFS
#17. Thomas A. Edison (2-6) -- Rating: 20.38
#18. J.E.B. Stuart (2-6) -- Rating: 19.50
#19. Patrick Henry-Ashland (2-6) -- Rating: 19.38
#20. Wakefield (2-6) -- Rating: 19.38
#21. Orange County (1-7) -- Rating: 18.13
#22. Freedom-Loudoun (1-7) -- Rating: 16.88
#23. Halifax County (1-7) -- Rating: 16.75
#24. George C. Marshall (0-8) -- Rating: 16.63

If the 5A North playoffs started today, here are the games:

#16 Brooke Point (2-6) at #1 Massaponax (9-0)
#15 Robert E. Lee (2-6) at #2 Tuscarora (7-1)
#14 Potomac Falls (4-4) at #3 Briar Woods (7-1)
#13 Mount Vernon (3-5) at #4 Stone Bridge (6-2)
#12 Thomas Jefferson-Alexandria (4-4) at #5 North Stafford (7-2)
#11 Potomac (3-5) at #6 Broad Run (6-2)
#10 Freedom-Woodbridge (3-5) at #7 Falls Church (6-2)
#9 Albemarle (5-3) at #8 Mountain View (5-3)

Posted by: football2 ()
Date: October 26, 2013 11:36PM

football Wrote:
> centreville will kill lake braddock in the
> playoffs

haha right, centreville will lose to robinson.

right it down
take a note

Posted by: IAmJericho ()
Date: October 26, 2013 11:52PM

nat4lee Wrote:
> Here are the official playoff standings through
> week nine as posted by the Virginia High School
> League just a couple of hours ago.
>
>
>
> Group 6A North Playoff Standings
> --------------------------------------
>
> Winner of the 6A North playoff will play winner of
> the 6A South for state title.
>
>
> #1. Centreville (8-0) -- Rating: 34.75
> #2. Lake Braddock (8-0) -- Rating: 33.63
> #3. Westfield (6-2) -- Rating: 31.38
> #4. Langley (6-2) -- Rating: 30.88
> #5. South County (7-1) -- Rating: 30.00
> #6. Yorktown (7-1) -- Rating: 30.00
> #7. Washington-Lee (6-2) -- Rating: 29.50
> #8. Patriot (6-2) -- Rating: 29.38
> #9. Thomas C. Williams (5-3) -- Rating: 27.88
> #10. Battlefield (6-3) -- Rating: 27.56
> #11. Chantilly (5-3) -- Rating: 27.50
> #12. Fairfax (6-2) -- Rating: 27.50
> #13. James W. Robinson (6-2) -- Rating: 27.25
> #14. Stonewall Jackson-Manassas (5-4) -- Rating:
> 26.44
> #15. South Lakes (4-4) -- Rating: 25.50
> #16. Hayfield (3-5) -- Rating: 24.50
> ----------------------------------------------
> TOP 16 TEAMS ADVANCE TO REGIONAL PLAYOFFS
> #17. Oakton (4-4) -- Rating: 24.25
> #18. McLean (4-4) -- Rating: 24.13
> #19. West Potomac (3-5) -- Rating: 24.13
> #20. West Springfield (3-5) -- Rating: 22.88
> #21. Osbourn Park (2-6) -- Rating: 22.25
> #22. Osbourn (2-6) -- Rating: 22.13
> #23. Wilburt T. Woodson (1-7) -- Rating: 20.63
> #24. Herndon (1-7) -- Rating: 19.63
> #25. Annandale (1-7) -- Rating: 19.38
> #26. James Madison (0-8) -- Rating: 18.88
>
>
> If the 6A North playoffs started today, here are
> the games:
>
> #16 Hayfield (3-5) at #1 Centreville (8-0)
> #15 South Lakes (4-4) at #2 Lake Braddock (8-0)
> #14 Stonewall Jackson-Manassas (5-4) at #3
> Westfield (6-2)
> #13 James W. Robinson (6-2) at #4 Langley (6-2)
> #12 Fairfax (6-2) at #5 South County (7-1)
> #11 Chantilly (5-3) at #6 Yorktown (7-1)
> #10 Battlefield (6-3) at #7 Washingtin-Lee (6-2)
> #9 Thomas C. Williams (5-3) at #8 Patriot (6-2)
>
>
>
> Group 5A North Playoff Standings
> -----------------------------------
>
> Winner of the 5A North playoff will play winner of
> the 5A South for state title.
>
>
> #1. Massaponax (9-0) -- Rating: 33.11
> #2. Tuscarora (7-1) -- Rating: 31.38
> #3. Briar Woods (7-1) -- Rating: 29.50
> #4. Stone Bridge (6-2) -- Rating: 29.25
> #5. North Stafford (7-2) -- Rating: 29.11
> #6. Broad Run (6-2) -- Rating: 27.63
> #7. Falls Church (6-2) -- Rating: 27.63
> #8. Mountain View (5-3) -- Rating: 27.50
> #9. Albemarle (5-3) -- Rating: 27.00
> #10. Freedom-Woodbridge (3-5) -- Rating: 24.63
> #11. Potomac (3-5) -- Rating: 23.00
> #12. Thomas Jefferson-Alexandria (4-4) -- Rating:
> 22.75
> #13. Mount Vernon (3-5) -- Rating: 22.50
> #14. Potomac Falls (4-4) -- Rating: 21.63
> #15. Robert E. Lee (2-6) -- Rating: 21.13
> #16. Brooke Point (2-6) -- Rating: 20.63
> TOP 16 TEAMS ADVANCE TO REGIONAL PLAYOFFS
> #17. Thomas A. Edison (2-6) -- Rating: 20.38
> #18. J.E.B. Stuart (2-6) -- Rating: 19.50
> #19. Patrick Henry-Ashland (2-6) -- Rating: 19.38
> #20. Wakefield (2-6) -- Rating: 19.38
> #21. Orange County (1-7) -- Rating: 18.13
> #22. Freedom-Loudoun (1-7) -- Rating: 16.88
> #23. Halifax County (1-7) -- Rating: 16.75
> #24. George C. Marshall (0-8) -- Rating: 16.63
>
>
> If the 5A North playoffs started today, here are
> the games:
>
> #16 Brooke Point (2-6) at #1 Massaponax (9-0)
> #15 Robert E. Lee (2-6) at #2 Tuscarora (7-1)
> #14 Potomac Falls (4-4) at #3 Briar Woods (7-1)
> #13 Mount Vernon (3-5) at #4 Stone Bridge (6-2)
> #12 Thomas Jefferson-Alexandria (4-4) at #5 North
> Stafford (7-2)
> #11 Potomac (3-5) at #6 Broad Run (6-2)
> #10 Freedom-Woodbridge (3-5) at #7 Falls Church
> (6-2)
> #9 Albemarle (5-3) at #8 Mountain View (5-3)

Is Hayfield D6 this year? I was under the impression that they stayed at D5

Also, does anyone know whos mathematically eliminated from playoff contention or can come up with scenarios for the #1,2,3 seeds as well the last few seeds left. I know it would require someone with knowledge of schedules and understanding of the power points but if anyone could itd be cool thanks.

Posted by: Atoms ()
Date: October 26, 2013 11:54PM

Annandale will rise again

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: October 27, 2013 02:31AM

football2 Wrote:
> football Wrote:
> -----
> > centreville will kill lake braddock in the
> > playoffs
>
>
> haha right, centreville will lose to robinson.
>
> right it down
> take a note

Would not surprise me a bit. EVERY year they seem to overlook someone on their schedule and loses a game that should have been won. And, yes, Robinson would love to be the team to ruin a wonderful year for CVille.

Posted by: bill ()
Date: October 27, 2013 04:13AM

Falls Church is scary good this season. They should be 7-1 but got screwed on a KO return for TD against Yorktown, that got called back. Fc's defense is one the best in the region and they have athletes everywhere ! They just spanked Edison 49-26 without one of their best players; dupont who has a mild injury. watch out!

Date: October 27, 2013 06:52AM

IAmJericho Wrote:
>
> Is Hayfield D6 this year? I was under the
> impression that they stayed at D5

Hayfield is a Group 6A team. Take a look at my recent post on the district standings if you want to know in which playoff group each of the local teams is competing in.

Posted by: D5 Guy ()
Date: October 27, 2013 08:50AM

Can anyone share with us how power points are determined this year?

For the life of me I have no idea how a Tuscarora team is so much higher than Briar Woods, for example.

By the way, Falls Church fan, they have no chance to win more than one playoff game this year. None. They still play a very soft schedule and will get their helmets handed to them by any of the top 4 Loudoun schools, never mind North Stafford and Massoponex.

Posted by: power pts ()
Date: October 27, 2013 09:33AM

D5 Guy Wrote:
> Can anyone share with us how power points are
> determined this year?
>
> For the life of me I have no idea how a Tuscarora
> team is so much higher than Briar Woods, for
> example.
>
> By the way, Falls Church fan, they have no chance
> to win more than one playoff game this year. None.
> They still play a very soft schedule and will get
> their helmets handed to them by any of the top 4
> Loudoun schools, never mind North Stafford and
> Massoponex.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/fb-2013-football-rating-scale.pdf

Tuscarora is losing points for beating Div 3 teams teams while Briar Woods is gaining points for beating D6 team. That seems to be the biggest difference.

Posted by: D5 Guy is a bitch ()
Date: October 27, 2013 09:33AM

In the playoffs, the best teams don't always win. its the teams who are healthy and on a roll.

Date: October 27, 2013 10:00AM

Here is an excerpt from the football guide I publish every year for a couple Alexandria schools:

First, an introduction: A school competes in one of six statewide groups based on the current student enrollment at the school, with group 1A including the smallest schools and group 6A comprising the largest, which ensures a competitive parity among schools of similar size. Since 1986, Virginia high school football teams have advanced to the playoffs based on the following table:

Group ranking: 6A - 5A - 4A - 3A - 2A - 1A
For winning against: 26 - 24 - 22 - 20 - 18 - 16
For losing against: 14 - 12 - 10 - 8 - 6 - 4

In addition, school get bonus points depending on the number of games their opponent wins during the entire season, so this total is continuously updated as the season progresses. In victory, a team gets two points for each of its opponent's wins all season, and in defeat, one point for each of the opposition's wins. Also, bonus points are awarded to higher group teams for playing lower group teams (i.e., a 6A team playing a 5A team). Two bonus points are awarded per classification for an in-district game, and one for an out-of-district game.

The calculation of the power ratings occurs by totaling the game and bonus points and dividing that total by the number of games played. For example, if Lee finished a ten-game season with 225 points, it's power point rating would be 22.5.

Date: October 27, 2013 10:23AM

Steven P Wrote:
LB could easily have
> 1-3 losses if it wasn't for an injured Joe Wilson
> (Robinson) and 2 game winning drives. SOCO has had
> problems getting up for games against weak
> opponents so that wont be a problem vs LB. SOCO
> was up 21-0 vs TC very early, but lost focus. LB
> is a lot more discipline than South County. If
> SOCO can cut out the penalties and the sloppy play
> vs LB, I like their chances.

Joe Wilson played the first half of the Lake Braddock-Robinson game and Lake Braddock was in control. Then you're going to say they could have easily lost to Westfield and Stone Bridge... Well duh. Those are three very quality wins. You know how many quality teams South County has beat this year? How about zero, they have played just one team with a 12 seed or higher in either division, and squeeked out a win against TC Williams who Lake Braddock just destroyed. South County is okay, but a huge imposter with their schedule and they will get exposed against Braddock.

The last 5 games, Lake Braddock has outscored their opponents 271-0; I can't recall that last time I've seen 5 consecutive shutouts. This speaks somewhat to how bad the Patriot District is, but at the same time, highlights Lake Braddock's defensive abilities. Lake Braddock will be tested as early as the second round of the playoffs, but not by a Patriot District team.

The early line is... South County @ Lake Braddock (-28.0)

Posted by: NEVER ()
Date: October 27, 2013 10:49AM

Atoms Wrote:
> Annandale will rise again

As long as soco and lb remain at the top of the patriot district then no other team has a chance especially an 0-7 team

Posted by: ?? ()
Date: October 27, 2013 10:59AM

I would love to see LB go against West Po with a healthy Demornay

Posted by: MR Question ()
Date: October 27, 2013 11:07AM

Would you rather have a great offense/average defense or a great defense/average offense?

Posted by: D5 guy ()
Date: October 27, 2013 01:40PM

Thank you, power points, for sharing the formula.

I remain baffled - even you noticed that Briar Woods has played a more difficult schedule than Tuscarora, yet Tuscarora seems to be way ahead in points.

I guess a lot of that will change when Briar destroys Tuscarora.

Bottom line is teams with real weak schedules and conferences ( like So Co and Falls Church) look bright and shiny until you put them under some intense lights.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: October 27, 2013 01:44PM

ryan Wrote:
> since 10/31/08 Marshall has won 4 games....yes 4..
> wow lol

Do they get paid extra to be everyone's Homecoming opponent? Can't imagine wanting to go there. Poor saps.

Posted by: hammerhawk ()
Date: October 27, 2013 01:50PM

as a hayfield alum I would be very surprised if they lose to falls church.

even in down years, we never lose to falls church.

plus, hayfield needs to win every game if they want to make the playoffs.

hayfield over falls church by 6-10

Posted by: Power pts ()
Date: October 27, 2013 04:13PM

D5 guy Wrote:
> Thank you, power points, for sharing the formula.
>
> I remain baffled - even you noticed that Briar
> Woods has played a more difficult schedule than
> Tuscarora, yet Tuscarora seems to be way ahead in
> points.
>
> I guess a lot of that will change when Briar
> destroys Tuscarora.
>
> Bottom line is teams with real weak schedules and
> conferences ( like So Co and Falls Church) look
> bright and shiny until you put them under some
> intense lights.

Yes Briar Woods has played a tougher schedule by playing up and by playing less lower classifications, but Tuscarora's opponents have won 42 games and Briar Woods opponents have only won 32 games. This is the reason Tuscarora is ahead. Briar Woods beating Tuscarora won't necessarily mean they will advance past them. The good news for Briar Woods is next week, they will pickup the wins from Potomac Falls (currently 4) while Tuscarora picks up the wins from Freedom (currently 1). That should close the gap a little.

Posted by: Justathought ()
Date: October 27, 2013 05:39PM

Watching SoCo's defense, I would agree that can loose focus and discipline during the course of the game but they do possess quite a few athletes in the back 7. If SoCo can shore up the defense in preparation for LB I think it will be one of the more exciting games of the season. I know there's a lot of bad blood between those two schools.

Posted by: Chuck Bable ()
Date: October 27, 2013 06:37PM

Looks like to me, this is going to be one of the best games in the northern region this year. Two good teams, two GREAT offenses, it's going to be one for the books. Projected 5,000 people already goin to be attending. You should make a point to attend this game. It's going to be one of the best atmospheres you can get for 5$ in a highschool football game.

Posted by: NovaFB ()
Date: October 27, 2013 07:04PM

Hey Stevek2 where's your post game point spread analysis?

Posted by: HS Football rules ()
Date: October 27, 2013 07:48PM

football2 "right it down"

Son - stay in school

Posted by: bobobobobob ()
Date: October 27, 2013 08:52PM

Spreads for this week?

Date: October 27, 2013 09:00PM

bill Wrote:
> Falls Church is scary good this season. They
> should be 7-1 but got screwed on a KO return for
> TD against Yorktown, that got called back. Fc's
> defense is one the best in the region and they
> have athletes everywhere ! They just spanked
> Edison 49-26 without one of their best players;
> dupont who has a mild injury. watch out!

FC choked va Yorktown like they always do and don't forget that TD Yorktown had called back. Scary good you say? Who have they beaten?

Posted by: Steve K2 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 09:18AM

Not as bad a week as people were saying, did miss a few though. The big spreads are intended to make pickers really think about the game. Centreville-Washington Lee for example, anyone would take Centreville, spot Washington Lee 49 points though and it becomes a harder pick. With the cold weather, comes less explosive offense, that’s a consideration for cold weather games in the future, I made these picks a week prior and wasn’t expecting 30 degree weather either. Next set coming momentarily.

Annandale @ West Springfield (-14.0)
*West Springfield won 17-14, did not cover the spread. West Springfield is worse than I thought, and I wasn’t thinking much of them.

Centreville (-49.0) @ Washington Lee
*Centreville won 53-7 and did not cover the spread. 46 point margin was close though.

Chantilly (-7.0) @ Yorktown *Game of the Week
*Yorktown won 30-28, in what was the game of the week. Yorktown missing their star had others step up, making it a big time win for them and a big loss for the Chargers. Chantilly finds itself in a must win game now if they want to avoid seeds through 16.

Fairfax (-42.0) @ Marshall
*Fairfax won 51-22, Fairfax did not cover the spread.

Falls Church (-20.0) @ Edison
*Falls Church won 49-26 and covered the spread.

Herndon @ Westfield (-23.0)
*Westfield won 62-28 and covered the spread.

Jefferson @ Langley (-20.0)
*Langley went off and won 62-7. They’re very good, was expecting more fight from a decent winning football team in TJ.

Lee (-6.5) @ West Potomac
*West Potomac won 51-32. Never know which West Po team will show up, but Lee’s defense has shown to be hard pressed stopping anybody.

Madison @ McLean (-7.0)
*McLean won 42-7; Madison is 0-8 and playing with no heart. Unacceptable product on the field for a school of their status and size in a weak district.

Mount Vernon @ Hayfield (-24.0)
*Hayfield won 40-16. Spot on with that spread!

Oakton @ Robinson (-10.0)
*Robinson won 41-21. Good win for the Rams. Cougars are now 0-3 in the Concorde, called them as pretenders long ago.

South Lakes @ Stone Bridge (-40.0)
*Stone Bridge won 41-13 and did not cover the spread.

Woodson @ South County (-31.0)
*South County won 42-17 and did not cover the spread. They were losing for a large portion of this game, my point exactly why they’re going to get smothered against Braddock.

Wakefield (-6.0) @ Stuart
*Stuart won 41-7; I was flat wrong on this one, sorry I haven’t made it out to a Stuart or Wakefield game with such great football in the area.

Lake Braddock (-28.0) @ TC Williams
*Lake Braddock won 44-0. They have outscored their last 5 opponents 271-0; it shows out weak the Patriot District is, but at the same time, 5 shutouts in a row is amazing and I don’t remember the last time I saw that.

Posted by: Steve K2 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 09:36AM

Here are this week's preliminary spreads.

Annandale @ West Potomac (-21.0)

Edison (-10.0) @ Stuart

Falls Church @ Hayfield (-6.0) *Upset pick and a game of the week
*This is a great matchup on paper and I feel if you’re in the Springfield area this will be a good football game to go see.

Herndon @ Centreville (-45.0)

Langley (-28.0) @ Madison

Lee @ Woodson (-6.5)

McLean (-14.0) @ Jefferson
*We’ll see how TJ responds to their drubbing last week. For playoff seeding purposes this is a big game in D5.

Robinson @ Chantilly (-7.0) *Game of the Week
*SoCo and Braddock is getting a lot of the media hype, but this is a must win for Chantilly and a chance for Robinson to get a quality win. Robinson had a very weak out of district schedule with the exception of LB which they lost by a few touchdowns; but then has looked impressive in Concorde play taking Westfield down to the final possession and crushing Oakton. Chantilly has lost to 3 quality teams in Lake Braddock, Yorktown, and Langley, but has two quality wins against South County and Oakton in a much tougher schedule. With Westfield next week, Chantilly needs this one to avoid a very low playoff seeding and a likely first round exit. This could go either way, and I may regret this pick, as I think Robinson may come in angry remembering getting crushed in the playoffs last year against Chantilly. Then historically the past few years I don’t like Chantilly in high pressure must win games; but I’ll take the Chargers by a touchdown.

South County @ Lake Braddock (-28.0)
*Patriot District Championship Game so it does deserve some hype for sure. I think South County will break Lake Braddock’s 21 scoreless quarter streak, but won’t score that much. My arguments for why Braddock is so heavily favored are posted above in some comments. This will be the best atmosphere of the week by far which is always a major consideration when picking a game to attend, but I think if you want a close football game with high playoff implications, Robinson @ Chantilly is the one to be at.

South Lakes (-31.0) @ Marshall

Stone Bridge (-28.0) @ Fairfax

TC Williams (-28.0) @ West Springfield

Washington Lee (-20.0) @ Wakefield

Westfield (-21.0) @ Oakton

Yorktown (-24.0) @ Mount Vernon

Posted by: Football2013 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 10:08AM

These sites always crack me up!! Centreville and Lake Braddock are going to run the show all the way to states! Ask Oscar Smith and Battlefield what they think about that Centreville and Braddock fans.

There are a lot of people out there doubting South County this Friday against Lake Braddock, Lake Braddock kids talking all kinds of crap on Twitter about how they are going to crush South County. That is okay because sites like these are made for ignorant people with nothing else to do but talk crap about a team they know nothing about. South County likes being in the shadowns of your ignorant comments, and will be ready to play this Friday against Lake Braddock.

Everyone out there is focusing on the wrong things. This is a championship game against two rival schools. You can throw records, scoring, and comments out of the window. This game is going to come down to who wants it more, and who is willing to sell out during the week in practice. All that talking, and not one of you have probably ever strapped on pads and a helmet and actually played a football game. Please keep talking because all you are doing is adding fuel to the fire. South County will be ready to play against Lake Braddock Friday night, you can count on that!!

Let the kids play, and keep your ignorant comments to yourself!!

SoCoPride!!

Posted by: Disgusted Vienna Resident ()
Date: October 28, 2013 11:27AM

Steve K2 Wrote:
> Madison @ McLean (-7.0)
> *McLean won 42-7; Madison is 0-8 and playing with
> no heart. Unacceptable product on the field for a
> school of their status and size in a weak
> district.
>
If McLean beat Madison by 35, Langley should beat them by at least 45, if not more.

It's strange that a school that is known for worshipping athletes, while ignoring other kids or treating them like trash, would have such a bad team. The mindset there seems to be, if you're not the best, don't even bother competing.

Posted by: Jay Rob ()
Date: October 28, 2013 12:15PM

Chantilly over Robinson? Robinson is red hot. Chantilly is starting to fizzle out kinda like they did back in 2011.

Posted by: oakton fan ()
Date: October 28, 2013 03:20PM

Robinson and Chantilly should be a close game. Having just seen Oakton lose to both, I think Robinson is the more balanced team. While Chantilly has some good players, it's pretty clear that Raeshawn Smith is far and away their best player, and if Robinson can control Rae on offense and special teams, they should be in a good position. (Robinson won't throw the ball in his direction on defense).

Robinson has some decent weapons on offense (no longer Joe Wilson = 45 carries), and their D is decent. They are also bigger than Chantilly up front (Jake Pinkston is a beast).

Oakton could have competed with both, but stupid turnovers on the wrong end of the fields and horrific O-line play in between the tackles, contributed to Oakton losing to both. It will be a long offseason unfortunately for the boys on Sutton Road.

Date: October 28, 2013 05:35PM

Football2013 Wrote:
> These sites always crack me up!! Centreville and
> Lake Braddock are going to run the show all the
> way to states! Ask Oscar Smith and Battlefield
> what they think about that Centreville and
> Braddock fans.
>
> There are a lot of people out there doubting South
> County this Friday against Lake Braddock, Lake
> Braddock kids talking all kinds of crap on Twitter
> about how they are going to crush South County.
> That is okay because sites like these are made for
> ignorant people with nothing else to do but talk
> crap about a team they know nothing about. South
> County likes being in the shadowns of your
> ignorant comments, and will be ready to play this
> Friday against Lake Braddock.
>
> Everyone out there is focusing on the wrong
> things. This is a championship game against two
> rival schools. You can throw records, scoring,
> and comments out of the window. This game is
> going to come down to who wants it more, and who
> is willing to sell out during the week in
> practice. All that talking, and not one of you
> have probably ever strapped on pads and a helmet
> and actually played a football game. Please keep
> talking because all you are doing is adding fuel
> to the fire. South County will be ready to play
> against Lake Braddock Friday night, you can count
> on that!!
>
> Let the kids play, and keep your ignorant comments
> to yourself!!
>
> SoCoPride!!

Am hoping for another good game between these rivals. LB has won 6 of 7:
2012: 36-21
2911: 7-10 SoCo win
2010: 13-6
2009: 27-3
2008: 31-14
2097: 21-17
2006: 7-0

Saw SoCo play TC; they have a good QB and team speed and look to be much better than last year's team that got blown out by Yorktown in playoffs. I don't know if they can hang with LB, but I am going Fri expecting to see a good game. It's stupid to say that SoCo can't play given what the team already has done this year.

Posted by: high school ref ()
Date: October 28, 2013 08:39PM

Eastern VA fan wrote Am hoping for another good game between these rivals. LB has won 6 of 7:
2012: 36-21
2911: 7-10 SoCo win
2010: 13-6
2009: 27-3
2008: 31-14 wrong hereXXXXXXX
2097: 21-17
2006: 7-0

Correction 5 of 7 SOCO also won in 2008 32-27

Posted by: Lake braddock ()
Date: October 28, 2013 09:50PM

I've already paid the refs off to give us great calls HAHAHAHHAHA SOCO sucks

Date: October 29, 2013 05:57AM

high school ref Wrote:
> Eastern VA fan wrote Am hoping for another good
> game between these rivals. LB has won 6 of 7:
> 2012: 36-21
> 2911: 7-10 SoCo win
> 2010: 13-6
> 2009: 27-3
> 2008: 31-14 wrong hereXXXXXXX
> 2097: 21-17
> 2006: 7-0
>
> Correction 5 of 7 SOCO also won in 2008 32-27

Thanks, high school ref--my bad. It turns out LB has won 6 of 8. It won 31-14 in 2007, 21-17 in 2006 and 7-0 in 2005. If I just look at the one game I saw (win v. TC) and SoCo's records over time, this year's 7-1 team is one of its best:
2012: 6-6
2011: 11-4 (year moved from D6 to D5)
2010: 4-6
2009: 7-5
2008: 6-5
2007: 6-5
2006: 6-4
2005: 1-9
I'm not sure SoCo can hang with LB this year, but am going because SoCo has a good QB and good team speed. Against TC, they looked MUCH improved over the team Yorktown beat in playoffs last year. Then again, LB's shutout streak is amazing and it has to be considered the favorite by many. Can't wait to see this one.

Posted by: Critic ()
Date: October 29, 2013 09:17AM

Socos running back comes off an injury that he suffered on the bye week of chant illy. Lake Braddock May not be ready for him to go off.

Posted by: ..... ()
Date: October 29, 2013 01:32PM

Lake braddock Wrote:
> I've already paid the refs off to give us great
> calls HAHAHAHHAHA SOCO sucks

Its not like you even had to do that based on the past month. The refs HATE SOCO

Posted by: Jimmy Womble ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:39PM

Will Madison win a game in 2013? It doesn't look good for them.

Posted by: elelel ()
Date: October 29, 2013 08:17PM

Most likely not. Madison has a Sophomore QB that is somewhat carrying the offense. Cant blame Madison they lost half of their squad and at least 9 of them were All-Liberty district (one 2nd team and 2 northern regions).

Posted by: Really...talent ()
Date: October 29, 2013 08:23PM

You can blame Madison and should. They have a bunch of youth league coaches running the program into the ground. They suck because those guys they did lose played both ways. You don't lose 8 you lose 16. They have enough kids and talent to be better. Blow it up and start over.

Date: October 30, 2013 11:29AM

Jimmy Womble Wrote:
> Will Madison win a game in 2013? It doesn't look
> good for them.

Well ofcourse they will win a game, they play Marshall next week and will win by 3 touchdowns.

That being said at a school like Madison this season is unacceptable, and people should and will be fired. I usually say give coaches 3 years, but a season this bad can dismantle a football program and set it back years.

Posted by: The man ()
Date: October 30, 2013 10:19PM

Don't be so sure Madison beats Marshall. Marshall can actually run the ball and can control the clock. Better line and more speed at the skill spots believe it or not. It will be a close game. Madison has a terrible senior class and Marshall is better-coached than the VYI coaches at Madison.

Date: October 30, 2013 11:12PM

Marshall hasn't won a game in like 2 years, nor been within 20 of anyone. Madison has played a MUCH tougher schedule (3 concorde schools) and is a bigger school. Trust me it won't be a good game. Marshall has an excuse though, Madison does not, seniors or not at a school of Madison's size they should be competing on a weekly basis in a weaker football district. I don't do spreads a week in advance, but feel pretty safe putting a lock at Madison as a 20 point favorite.

Posted by: Long time observer ()
Date: October 30, 2013 11:14PM

The man Wrote:
> Don't be so sure Madison beats Marshall. Marshall
> can actually run the ball and can control the
> clock. Better line and more speed at the skill
> spots believe it or not. It will be a close game.
> Madison has a terrible senior class and Marshall
> is better-coached than the VYI coaches at Madison.

Marshall is fielding probably the worst team that's been in the region for a decade. Madison will still beat them by 3-4 touchdowns, for its only win of the year.

Posted by: Falls Church alumn ()
Date: October 31, 2013 01:23AM

My jaguars will beat Hayfield. The jaguars have uplifted the Falls Church community so much. This years team has so much athleticism and talent everywhere! Daly,Coneys, Dupont, Mulumba, Mejia, Khalek and Gray have all taken their game to the next level this year.

Pages: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 27

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.