HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 27
Re: Highschool Football 2013
Posted by: nat4lee ()
Date: November 12, 2013 12:07PM

Here are the first-round games of the 5A North playoffs that will take place, along with the now announced dates and times.

#16 Thomas A. Edison (3-7) at #1 Massaponax (10-0) to be played on Friday night the 15th at 7:00 p.m. in Fredericksburg.
#15 Robert E. Lee (2-8) at #2 Stone Bridge (8-2) to be played on Friday night the 15th at 7:00 p.m. in Ashburn.
#14 Potomac Falls (4-6) at #3 Briar Woods (9-1) to be played on Friday night the 15th at 7:00 p.m. in Ashburn.
#13 Mount Vernon (3-7) at #4 Tuscarora (8-2) to be played on Friday night the 15th at 7:00 p.m. in Leesburg.
#12 Thomas Jefferson (4-6) at #5 North Stafford (8-2) to be played on Friday night the 15th at 7:00 p.m. in Stafford.
#11 Potomac (4-6) at #6 Mountain View (7-3) to be played on Friday night the 15th at 7:00 p.m. in Stafford.
#10 Freedom (4-6) at #7 Broad Run (7-3) to be played on Friday night the 15th at 7:00 p.m. in Ashburn.
#9 Albemarle (6-4) at #8 Falls Church (7-3) to be played on Friday night the 15th at 7:30 p.m. in Falls Church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WestfieldFan ()
Date: November 12, 2013 12:34PM

herndon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Congrats to Lamik Bumbrey @ToTheTop_28 for making
> 1st Team All-Concorde District RB and for leading
> the Concorde District in Rushing!
>
> Retweeted by Gameday Nation

Glad to see that - he was impressive against Westfield. After Westfield scored 4 TD's in the 1st quarter (up 27-0) they pulled their defensive starters for the first Herndon series in the 2nd quarter. Westfield's 2nd/3rd string could not contain Bumbrey and Westfield had to put their starters back in at the beginning of the 3rd quarter to make sure the game stayed in hand. He like 230+ yards...

Actually Westfield began the game with a 2-3 defensive starters on the sideline. Couple players were just back from injury so coaches eased them into the game since it was Herndon. The first 3 quarters were a mix match of 1st and 2nd string players. If you saw the Oakton game the following week all the starters were back in the lineup. None the less Bumbrey had an awesome game against Westfield, great combo of power and speed, he was certainly impressive.

Posted by: cydv7 ()
Date: November 12, 2013 01:51PM

THE JAGUARS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wffan ()
Date: November 12, 2013 02:03PM

Bumbrey is a good player. well deserved.

Heard through grapevine that Oakton placed 2 kids on the second team: Connor Fagan and Jarrett Bacon. If not mistaken, that makes only 2 offensive players on the entire Oakton team got 1st or second team. Can't remember that ever happening. Paging Kyle Downer. . . . .

Posted by: Fuck W&L ()
Date: November 12, 2013 07:07PM

where do you find out who made 1st team and stuff like that?

Posted by: Tony Dungy ()
Date: November 12, 2013 09:16PM

Anybody get Axed yet?

I'm sure there are several schools out there that will be looking for new coaches after this year!

Posted by: jaguar ()
Date: November 13, 2013 12:04AM

I heard Adam Daly only got honorable mention, is this true? How is that possible he put up tremendous numbers and lead Falls Church to one of its best seasons ever. Who in his conference (comprised of JEfferson, Wakefield, Marshall, Edison, Lee, Stuart, and Mt. Vernon) is better than him? He had 37 completions in one game, that is amazing

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: November 13, 2013 09:42AM

Well, WP stats are incomplete on some QB's but there were a couple of other QB's that put of decent numbers:

Player (School) Comp-Att % Yds TD Int. Rate
Harrison Dandridge (Edison) 142-271 52 2201 20 9 77.90
Adam Murray (Lee) 125-201 62 1677 12 11 76.34
Adam Daly (Falls Church) 159-276 58 1965 19 11 73.59
Sam Appel (W-L) 154-296 52 1793 15 8 65.96

Posted by: girlsdontknownothingboutfootball ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:03AM

As well as Demorney played - and he did play well especially considering he played about of position all season - give credit to others on the team. The O-line gave Demorney time enough to wash his car and finish his homework from last year. And let's not forget that Pickett kid who played both ways and in only 5 games at running back, made the All Met/Patriot top 20. The team would have faired better with better coaching and playing these young men to their strengths. And as far as the TC game goes - since when is this a huge rivalry? Oh yeah. Since Maxpreps needs Maxpress. The eff'ing ref'ing in that game looked a lot like cheating to me. But what do I know? Girls don't know nothing about football

Posted by: datflipdoe ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:25AM

I have to agree with girlsdontknow. Demornay is a great athlete, and will undoubtedly get recognition - but he is not a quarterback. Sure he did a pretty good job, but was unable to overcome his lack of height and his desire to make the big plays over making the right play. When he did run the ball, it was obvious the other teams were prepared for him. West Potomac has a potential QB in Preston Jones - and I think we would have seen that had he not been sidelined most of the season with an injury. In fact, West Potomac lost a lot of talent early due to injury: Giamphi, Carter, Toft, Nail, to name a few. As for the reaming members of WP, Harkless, Saldana, Alexander and Williams are standout players, that helped Pierson-El look better at QB than he is. And oh, yeah, that Pickett kid, was something else - made his own holes, blocked for himself, and was pretty damn hard to take down without 4 or 5 opposing players on his back - stout and surprisingly fast - and should have been playing running back before mid-season.

Posted by: Devin ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:52AM

Does anyone have a link to the all district teams?

Posted by: jones ()
Date: November 13, 2013 11:01AM

have not seen any links to all district teams. I'd check the twitter accounts of the players, and see if they said anything.

As for DeMornay, he was the best athlete I saw all year, and I go to a Concorde school. I saw no one with his speed and moves. If he were on Centreville, he'd be a Parade All-American with that supporting cast. No surprise he was so heavily recruited by FBS schools.

Date: November 13, 2013 11:06AM

No one is saying Pierson isnt an outstanding athlete...or that he isnt one of the best. I think that an earlier statement by inquisitive said he was the entirety of the WP team. That there were no other players of merit. And that is just BS.

Posted by: LBSwag ()
Date: November 13, 2013 11:14AM

Caleb Henderson got All Conference Player of the Year and 1st team QB - D$$ got 2nd team QB, 1st team KR/PR - which was a stretch cause he didnt return anything this year.

I hear West Poor has 4 All American Rugby players on their team. Is that true?

Posted by: Jones ()
Date: November 13, 2013 11:54AM

Okay, I have no insight into the West Po team. I was simply commenting on D$$. If he keeps his sh*t together at Nebraska and develops, would not be surprised to see him playing on Sundays one day.

Posted by: girlsdon'tknownothingboutfootbal ()
Date: November 13, 2013 12:04PM

West PO has 4 players going to the All American Rugby camp and 1 is a returning All American - that Pickett kid.

Posted by: LBSwag ()
Date: November 13, 2013 12:15PM

Seriously? That rugby shit is no joke.

Posted by: datPICKdoe ()
Date: November 13, 2013 12:59PM

Sounds like you didn't watch the last 5 games or so ~ the LAST game with TC was a game WP was not designed to win in ANY way, cheap shots, bad calls (REALLY bad calls) and non calls. Coaching finally got smart near the end of season and sent Pickett into the fight and they came out winning, he has super acceleration and legs that won't quit!! He will go far, interceptions, recoveries, tackles, and returning the ball ~ he has talent AND heart. He plays EVERYWHERE. Let's not forget, football TEAM sport, Josh Ransom had key tackles, smelling the runner out ~ ALSO going places. Kris Sheckles also a very key player. These young men also happen to be rugby stars, making all-star teams as well.

Posted by: girlsdontknownothingboutfootball ()
Date: November 13, 2013 01:16PM

Right on datPICKdoe. Ransom and Sheckles had outstanding seasons. The whole team did well - considering. Bright futures all the way around!

Date: November 13, 2013 01:49PM

It is insulting to say that Demornay - or D$$? - is the backbone of the West Po team - the only standout. He may have talent...but he cant win games on his own - that was proven this season. And to imply as much would warrant that he alone is the reason WP is not in the playoffs. Does he have the character to shoulder both possibilities? And does anyone that discounts any one of the Wolverine Varsity have the character to accept that as well?

Posted by: beauty ()
Date: November 13, 2013 06:40PM

Well as a fan that has been at every game this year. With many of the teams key players hurt early in the season the team started to come together. But with dmoney not sharing the ball things got hard. adding to that that pickett kid averaged 6.7 yards per carry. and both backs cannot gain any yards with there help from the offensive line. they had many players make all conference team. and did not utilize the players they had.

Posted by: colorful ()
Date: November 13, 2013 06:50PM

The wolverines had many talented players in the wrong position. On top of that the coaching staff lacked in there play calling ability offensively and defensively. Why would you call a run play on 3rd and 5 on tc's 10 yard line? Also with that Jones kid i think placing a player who plays the position of a QB would have been smarter making d money play his actual position which is a wide receiver, last time I checked thats what hes goin to nebraska as.

Posted by: hsfballfan ()
Date: November 13, 2013 09:36PM

Repeat after me.....

(1) None of this stuff about West Potomac matters.....

(2) The only two teams that matter in the Northern Region are Centreville and Lake Braddock....

(3) I will not waste my time thinking about other teams....

Date: November 13, 2013 09:37PM

And by the way the only one team that really matters is Centreville which will be representing NOVA in the State finals this year and probably next as well....

Posted by: Yorktown ()
Date: November 13, 2013 09:44PM

nat4lee Wrote:
> Here are the first-round games of the 6A North
> playoffs that will take place, along with the now
> announced dates and times.
>
> #16 South Lakes (5-5) at #1 Centreville (10-0) to
> be played on Friday night the 15th at 7:30 p.m. in
> Clifton.
> #15 Chantilly (5-5) at #2 Lake Braddock (10-0) to
> Burke.
> #14 Hayfield (5-5) at #3 Westfield (8-2) to be
> played on Friday night the 15th at 7:30 p.m. in
> Chantilly.
> #13 Stonewall Jackson (6-4) at #4 Washington-Lee
> (8-2) to be played on Friday night the 15th at
> 7:30 p.m. in Arlington.
> #12 Battlefield (6-4) at #5 Langley (8-2) to be
> McLean.
> #11 James W. Robinson (7-3) at #6 Patriot (8-2) to
> Nokesville.
> #10 Fairfax (7-3) at #7 Yorktown (8-2) to be
> Fairfax.
> #9 Thomas C. Williams (6-3) at #8 South County
> (8-2) to be played on Friday night the 15th at
> 7:30 p.m. in Lorton.

I will be attending one of the games this Friday to enjoy some high school palyoff football. Wondering if there is any game particularly worth going to and also you wrote the the Fairfax/Yorktown is "at Yorktown" but played in "Fairfax"? I thought yorkotwon was an Arlington school.

Posted by: hardplay ()
Date: November 13, 2013 09:45PM

oh yeah Centreville all the way boyyyyyy....

Date: November 13, 2013 09:46PM

You are quite correct. A typo on my part.

Posted by: Football Fever ()
Date: November 13, 2013 09:46PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> And by the way the only one team that really
> matters is Centreville which will be representing
> NOVA in the State finals this year and probably
> next as well....

Huge CVille fan here but all it takes is one game where they underestimate the opponent or beat themselves..... Don't forgot, the juniors are experienced but still young. Love hearing all of the hype but still have to play the games.

Oakton 2012 is a perfect example.

Date: November 13, 2013 09:51PM

Yorktown HS is nowhere near Fairfax. Nor is it the beach team from Yorktown as I have gotten so many times from ignorant locals. It is indeed in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Arlington, and that is where the game will be held.

Date: November 13, 2013 09:52PM

Reasonable point Football Fever but last year they were all sophomores, this year the juniors have shown great talent and great discipline. Next there is strong senior leadership at QB and middle linebacker. Next they have homefield advantage throughout. Next from all accounts the coach has their collective heads on straight and they are not taking anything for granted. Henderson at Braddock is good but Centreville is just way deeper overall and has a better defense. Additionally Cville is much more balanced this year running and passing the ball and has tremendous team speed. Of course funnier things have happened but I will turn in my high school football fan jabbering if they do not at least make it to the state finals. There it will be anyone's game as the teams down south - Oscar Smith and Ocean Lakes - are nasty too.

Date: November 13, 2013 09:59PM

Plus look at joint opponents....Lake Braddock barely beat Westfield something like 28-24 whereas Centreville thoroughly dominated Westfield 28-0. Plus Braddock beat South County by three touchdowns so if Centreville gets South County in the second round logic would dictate a relatively easy win....

Posted by: Football Fever ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:13PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> Plus look at joint opponents....Lake Braddock
> barely beat Westfield something like 28-24 whereas
> Centreville thoroughly dominated Westfield 28-0.
> Plus Braddock beat South County by three
> touchdowns so if Centreville gets South County in
> the second round logic would dictate a relatively
> easy win....

I agree with you on all points. Everything on paper and results looks like a CVille win. But LB has a chip on their shoulder as #2 in the area and 3 straight losses to CVille including a close 2011 playoff loss and a last minute defeat last year. We have the taste of Oakton's defeat in ours. Are they the better team -yes-, if we had our worst game of the year playing them, could we lose, absolutely. Henderson has a lot to play for as a senior and i am sure thier coach understands if they don't win this year, they will definitely not beat us next year

Date: November 13, 2013 10:42PM

Well let us pray for no injuries or other craziness and let the cards fall where they might. Without the injuries or craziness I like Centreville's chances. Cannot wait to watch Cville linebacker Chad Wiggins spying on Henderson and sacking him a few times!!!

Posted by: FanMan ()
Date: November 14, 2013 08:34AM

so, who will be the new coach at Annandale after they fire Scott for his meltdown?

Posted by: stevek3 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:02AM

They should go after either the Falls Church coach or the Wakefield coach. Both are small school that had some success with some young coaches. I think FC might have beaten AHS.

Posted by: i hate Chantilly ()
Date: November 14, 2013 11:28AM

I have no love for Chantilly, but let's not assume that LB will simply roll all over them. It's a very intriguing Seed 2 - Seed 15 matchup. Stranger things have happened, although I agree LB is a heavy favorite.

Posted by: 757 swag ()
Date: November 14, 2013 11:42AM

I am not sure why people are sleeping on Braddock, offense is pretty much like the Beach teams, very athletic, a QB who can throw and run, receivers who can go get the ball. Looks like they added a running game this year.Defense looks pretty solid, 5 shutouts, not sure they can hang with the south.

Centreville is like most of the teams that come out of North, great running game, some very good athletes. But, when you shut down the run, which the South teams will do, the QBs can never throw consistant enough to win.
Most of the NR teams run that Wing offense and the QB only throws 10-12 times a game, if that. I just dont see the QB being athletic enough to withstand the pressure he will get with the South teams. In 2011 the QB had the same type stats and was supposed to be all that, look what happened to him against OS.
Defense looks good, and they say they have all these athletes, come to the beach,let see.

Either team is fine, but will not beat the south

Posted by: Col. Legget ()
Date: November 14, 2013 11:46AM

The Wakefield coach will not leave to coach at Annandale. He moved from an assistant coaching position at Yorktown to the head coaching position at Wakefield to build up a strong program there.

Sad about Annandale. 20 years ago they were winning back to back state football championships. The most recent meltdown with the band is rock bottom for that once proud program. What happened...

Posted by: annandale? ()
Date: November 14, 2013 11:51AM

What happened at Annandale? What melt-down? Is this a publicized story?

Posted by: Cpt. Morgan ()
Date: November 14, 2013 02:25PM

Please leave all things Annandale football vs. Band in the thread about it that has popped up on this website. Leave this thread to football!

Anywho's...

Looking at the top three seeds, who has the best chance between the three of them to play in the regional championship? I see a lot of people say C-ville and Braddock but what about Westfield? Granted after watching them play I wasn't very impressed however they did host the previous two regional titles and it could happen again.

Date: November 14, 2013 02:42PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> Plus look at joint opponents....Lake Braddock
> barely beat Westfield something like 28-24 whereas
> Centreville thoroughly dominated Westfield 28-0.

Westfield had everyone pretty much healthy for LB game. Not so much at Centreville.

Date: November 14, 2013 04:14PM

Leave it to the Westfield fans to look for excuses. Centreville has been down a few key players all year long and wiped the field with everyone including Westfield. Think Westfield is longing for the glory days, they simply are not as good this year and the talent is not as strong coming up either. Would not be surprised if Westfield loses by the second round and does not even get to face Braddock again. Sorry you're run is over, should have done something with those undefeated seasons while you had the chance....

Posted by: hardplay ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:51PM

Agree Westfield is da bunch of whiners. Win the important ballgames then pop off.

Posted by: EasternVaFan ()
Date: November 14, 2013 05:41PM

757 swag Wrote:
> I am not sure why people are sleeping on Braddock,
> offense is pretty much like the Beach teams, very
> athletic, a QB who can throw and run, receivers
> who can go get the ball. Looks like they added a
> running game this year.Defense looks pretty solid,
> 5 shutouts, not sure they can hang with the
> south.
>
> Centreville is like most of the teams that come
> out of North, great running game, some very good
> athletes. But, when you shut down the run, which
> the South teams will do, the QBs can never throw
> consistant enough to win.
> Most of the NR teams run that Wing offense and the
> QB only throws 10-12 times a game, if that. I just
> dont see the QB being athletic enough to withstand
> the pressure he will get with the South teams. In
> 2011 the QB had the same type stats and was
> supposed to be all that, look what happened to him
> against OS.
> Defense looks good, and they say they have all
> these athletes, come to the beach,let see.
>
> Either team is fine, but will not beat the south

I saw LB-SoCo. LB looked tough--good passing game, QB ran whenever he wanted, and its D has athletes. Haven't seen C'Ville this year but saw that 2011 game at UVA. O. Smith's D dominated C'ville's OL. C'Ville lost its star early but its LBs and DBs were beaten all day. See You Tube. This year is different. C'Ville has been crushing everybody and LB had 5 straight shutouts. Whoever comes out of the North will be tough. I saw O. Smith wax defending D5 champ Lake Taylor 42-2 in the opener. Yet I remember how good those 2 Westfield teams that titled were and have much respect for the North now that I live here and see the play.

Date: November 14, 2013 05:53PM

Tons of respect for 2011 Centreville team but this one is better - deeper and faster across the board. QB is bigger, good runner and passer, they go 5-6 deep RBs who can all put 100 yards on the opponent, surprisingly good passing game with about 12-15 passes a game that are very effective to keep teams on their toes with at the same time an almost unstoppable running game, good beef on both lines so no one will get pushed around, have stopped other teams like 60 times in backfield and that is in addition to sacks, LB's run in the 4.6 and 4.7 range, DBs and safeties in the 4.4 and 4.5 range. This is not the 2011 situation. Of course any of the top four teams (CVille, Braddock, Oscar Smith, Ocean Lakes) can win but I feel really good about Cville's chances. Cannot wait to get started with playoffs this Friday!

Posted by: 4.4? ()
Date: November 14, 2013 06:43PM

The DBs and safeties run a 4.4? Did you personally time them? How do you know? If Tutt and Turner ran 4.4s, they would be 5 star athletes getting D'Shawn attention. They are not. They are good and fast, but let's not get crazy. They don't have Demornay's hops, and it's reported that he runs a 4.4.

The only thing that can stop Centreville are themselves. If their athletes start jawing and mouthing off to the Eastern teams that they'll face in the final, they may risk penalties and flags. I saw similar stuff during their Concorde run this year, and they should just do their talking on the field and STFU. Until they hoist the state trophy in the air, they have won nothing yet worthy of their talent. I suspect the coaching staff is keeping them grounded.

Posted by: football ()
Date: November 14, 2013 07:24PM

AJ and Tutt do run 4.4s the only reason they aren't getting looks like D'Sawn is cause theyre juniors

Posted by: Nova football ()
Date: November 14, 2013 08:05PM

757 swag Wrote:
> I am not sure why people are sleeping on Braddock,
> offense is pretty much like the Beach teams, very
> athletic, a QB who can throw and run, receivers
> who can go get the ball. Looks like they added a
> running game this year.Defense looks pretty solid,
> 5 shutouts, not sure they can hang with the
> south.
>
> Centreville is like most of the teams that come
> out of North, great running game, some very good
> athletes. But, when you shut down the run, which
> the South teams will do, the QBs can never throw
> consistant enough to win.
> Most of the NR teams run that Wing offense and the
> QB only throws 10-12 times a game, if that. I just
> dont see the QB being athletic enough to withstand
> the pressure he will get with the South teams. In
> 2011 the QB had the same type stats and was
> supposed to be all that, look what happened to him
> against OS.
> Defense looks good, and they say they have all
> these athletes, come to the beach,let see.
>
> Either team is fine, but will not beat the south

Centreville QB has shown all year he is capable of winning games with the pass if needed. Playing in only the first half of 90% of the games this year, he has thrown over 20 TD passes and run for 5 more and has thrown for over 1100 yards completing close to 80% of his passes (according to the Post). That is one of the big differences between the 2011 team and this team, the QB can throw with anyone in the state, he just plays in a Wing T offense. Centreville will be fine against any team it faces.

Posted by: Hmmmmmm ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:06PM

Turner and Nickens-Yzer most definitely run 4.4. Tutt has great hands and quickness, but is not as fast as the other two, and has no size which will limit his offers significantly. None will be in the class of Dashawn Hand.

Posted by: 757 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 11:04PM

Nova football Wrote:
> 757 swag Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I am not sure why people are sleeping on
> Braddock,
> > offense is pretty much like the Beach teams,
> very
> > athletic, a QB who can throw and run, receivers
> > who can go get the ball. Looks like they added
> a
> > running game this year.Defense looks pretty
> solid,
> > 5 shutouts, not sure they can hang with the
> > south.
> >
> > Centreville is like most of the teams that come
> > out of North, great running game, some very
> good
> > athletes. But, when you shut down the run,
> which
> > the South teams will do, the QBs can never
> throw
> > consistant enough to win.
> > Most of the NR teams run that Wing offense and
> the
> > QB only throws 10-12 times a game, if that. I
> just
> > dont see the QB being athletic enough to
> withstand
> > the pressure he will get with the South teams.
> In
> > 2011 the QB had the same type stats and was
> > supposed to be all that, look what happened to
> him
> > against OS.
> > Defense looks good, and they say they have all
> > these athletes, come to the beach,let see.
> >
> > Either team is fine, but will not beat the
> south
>
> Centreville QB has shown all year he is capable of
> winning games with the pass if needed. Playing in
> only the first half of 90% of the games this year,
> he has thrown over 20 TD passes and run for 5 more
> and has thrown for over 1100 yards completing
> close to 80% of his passes (according to the
> Post). That is one of the big differences between
> the 2011 team and this team, the QB can throw with
> anyone in the state, he just plays in a Wing T
> offense. Centreville will be fine against any team
> it faces.

When has the Centreville QB shown he can pass when needed? Like you said they have blown everyone out. Again, his stats are the same or close as the 2011 QB, you saw what happened when he had to throw the ball. There is a big difference for a QB when the running game is working well anyone can look like a QB hero. When forced to throw, Centreville QBs have always failed, I see this year being no different.

Also, if he can throw with anyone in the state, where is he going to school at next year? The best QBs in the state are going to UVa, Vt, UNC, NC St.

Date: November 14, 2013 11:31PM

Watch and learn about the Centreville QB over the next few weeks. No disrespect to the QB two years ago who admittedly was a game manager type, this current one is a quality athlete who can run, pass, guide the broader offense....

Good luck to other teams, they will need it.

Posted by: ?? ()
Date: November 15, 2013 08:37AM

steve2k what are the spreads?

Date: November 15, 2013 08:40AM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> Leave it to the Westfield fans to look for
> excuses. Centreville has been down a few key
> players all year long and wiped the field with
> everyone including Westfield. Think Westfield is
> longing for the glory days, they simply are not as
> good this year and the talent is not as strong
> coming up either. Would not be surprised if
> Westfield loses by the second round and does not
> even get to face Braddock again. Sorry you're run
> is over, should have done something with those
> undefeated seasons while you had the chance....

Your insecurities and inferiority complex are showing – I guess a 3-11 record against Westfield does that - so it’s sort of understandable . But where you came up with that uncalled-for-rant out of my two short sentences I don’t know. Centreville is without question a superior team to Westfield this year and I’ll be rooting for the Wildcats when Westfield is out of the playoffs. Not everyone thinks like you so chill out.

Posted by: hmmmmm ()
Date: November 15, 2013 08:43AM

I agree 100% with hsfballfan on this, there is a HUGE difference between CVHS QB situation from 2011 and the present. Walter is a tremendous athlete and can run and pass very well. He isn't going to get big time college looks, and part of that is the run-first offense he is in. State semi's and finals should be fantastic to watch.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: November 15, 2013 09:30AM

Here are my revised spreads. Having not seen a lot of these teams in region play, it makes it very difficult to make one for several of these games.

Division 6
(16) South Lakes @ (1) Centreville (-49.0)

(9) TC Williams @ (8) South County (-21.0)
*This will be a good game, I think in Lorton though, South County will be able to have a fairly easy win.

(13) Stone Wall Jackson (-14.0) @ (4) Washington-Lee *Upset Alert
*Don’t know SWJ, just going off some things I’ve read about this team, may be completely wrong.

(12) Battlefield @ (5) Langley (-6.0) *Awesome game… I think
*I haven’t seen Battlefield this year, but know they’re a fairly successful program in past postseason play. Very tough draw for Langley, wouldn’t be surprised if Battlefield leaves with the W. Tough to have teams in here that haven’t played Northern Region teams… weird.

(15) Chantilly @ (2) Lake Braddock (-20.0)
*An awesome 15 seed, which played the toughest schedule in the region and played most teams right down to the wire. Unfortunately losing by 1, 2, and 3 the last 3 weeks to 3 really good teams sunk them down to 15 where they’re not going to be able to do any damage against Lake Braddock. Still sucks for Braddock though, who I am sure would kill to play Hayfield instead.

(10) Fairfax @ (7) Yorktown (-21.0)

(11) Robinson (-7.0) @ (6) Patriot *Another awesome game!
*I think Patriot is good too, but I’m going with the known team.

(14) Hayfield @ (3) Westfield (-24.0)

Division 5
(16) Edison @ (1) Massaponax (-35.0)
*Who the hell has seen Massaponax?

(9) Albermarle @ (8) Falls Church (-14.0)
*Same goes for Albermarle

(13) Mount Vernon @ (4) Tuscarora (-20.0)

(12) Jefferson @ (5) North Stafford (-28.0)
*North Stafford may be the dark house in this region, have seen tape of them, and they’re pretty legit.

(15) Lee @ (2) Stone Bridge (-45.0)
*2-8 Lee should forfeit. That being said I do commend them on playing a tough schedule.

(10) Freedom Woodbridge @ (7) Broad Run (-14.0)

Posted by: observer of concorde ()
Date: November 15, 2013 09:38AM

The reason Walter will not get FBS looks is because he does not have Caleb's measurables (height and weight) or his mechanics. He's a great player no doubt, but not a top level QB college prospect.

No disrespect in that; if he wants to play football at the next level, he certainly can - it just won't be at an FBS school. QB is the toughest position to get recruited as colleges offer their QB prospects early, and schools only take 1-2 QBs a year.

I am not a Westfield fan, but Centreville partisans should not dismiss Westfield so easily in the coming years. While it is true CVille has the talent this year, kids graduate, and teams rise and fall with that natural evolution.

On another note, I saw every Concorde team play this year, and with the exception of Westfield (which had its usual 80 kids on the sideline), I was startled by how few kids Oakton, Chantilly, Robinson, and Centreville had on their sideline. I wonder if there are fewer kids going out for football (with the concussion fears and the pressure for some kids to focus on one sport - baseball, lacrosse - as early as middle school). If this is the start of longer-term trend, it will be difficult for schools to field competitive teams in the coming years if they have a smaller pool to draw from. Until I see something different in the Concorde, I will give Westfield the advantage given their uncanny knack to attract so many kids to their program.

Posted by: RootBoy ()
Date: November 15, 2013 09:53AM

Someone posted on VA Preps that both Yorktown RB MJ Stewart and QB Will Roebuck will not play tonight against Fairfax due to injuries.

Date: November 15, 2013 10:16AM

I have not heard that. But even without Stewart, Yorktown should beat Fairfax.

Posted by: tidewater football ()
Date: November 15, 2013 10:41AM

I agree with 757baby:

Braddock's offense is better suited to play against the 757 teams,they can pass and run good balance. Centerville is run first, only pass when you have to.

Braddock have 3 or 4 good size receivers with speed and a pretty good rb. One of the top Qbs in the country, going to UNC.

Centerville's offense is run first, run second, throw only when you have too. The running game they have is very good 2 or 3 rb that are very fast, maybe one of the top running games in the state. Not so sure the receivers are much and the QB is average. They will have to pass against the 757 teams to win and at this point the jury is still out.

Both have strong defenses.

If they play. Braddock looks to be the team, but the 757 teams would want Centerville.

Posted by: Ballfan ()
Date: November 15, 2013 10:58AM

observer of concorde Wrote:
> The reason Walter will not get FBS looks is
> because he does not have Caleb's measurables
> (height and weight) or his mechanics. He's a
> great player no doubt, but not a top level QB
> college prospect.
>
> No disrespect in that; if he wants to play
> football at the next level, he certainly can - it
> just won't be at an FBS school. QB is the
> toughest position to get recruited as colleges
> offer their QB prospects early, and schools only
> take 1-2 QBs a year.

Walter was all-region in baseball last year and supposedly that's what he is looking to play in college.

Posted by: Mssr. Degraw ()
Date: November 15, 2013 11:46AM

steve k2 Wrote:
> I have not heard that. But even without Stewart,
> Yorktown should beat Fairfax.

I agree. Especially after the loss to W-L, Yorktown will more than motivated. Easy win for Yorktown.

Date: November 15, 2013 12:02PM

Catching up on a few posts.

For Westfield, no doubt they were better five years ago but tide has turned. Will be same result next year as this year with Cville big win and by the way the CVille Freshman team went 9-0 again this year including beating Westfield. I "ranted" because in the previous post the author seemed to lay the loss to CVille this year to having a few Westfield players out. No dice! Again CVille has been playing multiple games without key players, makes no difference. Would be happy to play Westfield again in the playoffs and beat them by 3 or 4 touchdowns but they won't get past Patriot or Braddock, etc.

To the Beach teams wanting CVille, better think twice about what you ask for. I hope too they expect that they will face the same team from two years ago. Plus CVille does!!! have the best rushing attack in the state. Plus it has a very viable passing game that can be pulled out at any time. Henderson is fine but he too much in love with his arm and makes real hard throws just to impress. And its rushing attack will not hold up to a defense the quality of CVille. Mark it down here first - a two touchdown or more win against Braddock and then a tight toss up anyone can win game against Oscar or Ocean.

Date: November 15, 2013 12:29PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> I "ranted" because in the previous post the author
> seemed to lay the loss to CVille this year to
> having a few Westfield players out.

I was only referring to margin of victory. No, I don't think Westfield is good enough to beat Centreville. If they had real QB it could be a little more competitive.

Date: November 15, 2013 12:56PM

Ok I will let you off the hook. CVille is better than Westfield now, I also admit a few years ago Westfield was better. I do believe though that the talent pool is shifting more toward CVille and the two Region losses (CVille two years ago and Oakton last year) deflated their balloon a bit. We will see if they can get back on stride...

Posted by: observerofConcorde ()
Date: November 15, 2013 12:58PM

Good for Walter that he's choosing baseball. If he can ever play professionally, there's far more $$ in baseball!

Posted by: luckydeucetwo ()
Date: November 15, 2013 12:59PM

Westfield not so good, Lake Braddock not so good, Centreville not so bad!!!!!

Posted by: mysteriomaco ()
Date: November 15, 2013 02:06PM

I have seen all of the important teams in the Northern Region and Centreville is a big notch above. Think they also have a strong chance against the Beach teams. Many people are saying Centreville is best team from the Northern region since at least the 2007 Westfield state championship team. I believe them. Personally not sold on Lake Braddock, they will be exposed as a good but not great team. Just the way it is.

Posted by: EasternVaFan ()
Date: November 15, 2013 10:34PM

Mssr. Degraw Wrote:
> steve k2 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have not heard that. But even without
> Stewart,
> > Yorktown should beat Fairfax.
>
>
> I agree. Especially after the loss to W-L,
> Yorktown will more than motivated. Easy win for
> Yorktown.

Yorktown won 12-7 on a late TD drive but #2 from FFX looked good. Decent game between 7 and 10 seeds. Was hoping to see Stewart but he and the QB didn't play.

Posted by: KDTrey ()
Date: November 15, 2013 11:18PM

Any update on final scores? What are the projected match ups for next week?

Posted by: Soco ()
Date: November 15, 2013 11:21PM

Soco won 51/27

Posted by: football observer ()
Date: November 15, 2013 11:29PM

From Virginia Preps:

6A NORTH

(1) Centreville 35 (16) South Lakes 0
(2) Lake Braddock 56 (15) Chantilly 31
(3) Westfield 33 (14) Hayfield 12
(13) Stonewall Jackson (Manassas) 42 (4) Washington-Lee 34
(5) Langley 28 (12) Battlefield 21
(11) Robinson 35 (6) Patriot 13
(7) Yorktown 12 (10) Fairfax 7
(8) South County 51 (9) T.C. Williams 27

5A NORTH

(1) Massaponax 60 (16) Edison 22
(2) Stone Bridge 55 (15) R.E. Lee (Springfield) 7
(3) Briar Woods 57 (14) Potomac Falls 0
(4) Tuscarora 35 (13) Mount Vernon 27
(5) North Stafford 43 (12) Thomas Jefferson (Alexandria) 7
(6) Mountain View 21 (11) Potomac 7
(7) Broad Run 35 (10) Freedom (PW) 6
(8) Falls Church 24 (9) Albemarle 23

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: November 16, 2013 03:09AM

Westfield just warming up, baby!

Posted by: wildcatrunsupport ()
Date: November 16, 2013 08:35AM

mysteriomaco Wrote:
> I have seen all of the important teams in the
> Northern Region and Centreville is a big notch
> above. Think they also have a strong chance
> against the Beach teams. Many people are saying
> Centreville is best team from the Northern region
> since at least the 2007 Westfield state
> championship team. I believe them. Personally
> not sold on Lake Braddock, they will be exposed as
> a good but not great team. Just the way it is.

totally ridiculous. that westfield team had an NFL quarterback and had a massive roster that dwarfed Centreville. Teams like that dont sprout up out of the ground. That 2007 team was a byproduct of a tremendously well run program. I am a wildcat fan, and think this is the best team they have ever had, but please...

Posted by: Maybe ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:09AM

This is an opportune time to play cville for soco. A lot of key injuries

Posted by: Georgefour ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:18AM

Who is injured

Posted by: ........ ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:21AM

Georgefour Wrote:
> Who is injured

AJ Turner

Posted by: Georgefour ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:24AM

What is his injury is he out and how long?

Posted by: ........ ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:26AM

Georgefour Wrote:
> What is his injury is he out and how long?

I've heard it's an mcl injury

Posted by: Yo ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:27AM

Yeah that might be an interesting game for cville

Posted by: concernedparent11 ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:29AM

I was at the Lee-stonebridge game and was beside myself. The stone bridge offense did whatever they wanted, and defensively they stifled out any hopes for anything good to happen on offense. I swear the coaches don't know how to use all the athletes they have at lee. its so frustrating week after week to see the same mistakes made by terrible coaches over at lee.

Posted by: regionfan ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:44AM

excited to see the soco-centreville game. the stallions couldnt hang with the big boys at braddock, so will be interesting to see if they can get even by playing another region power. I expect the wildcats to win, but could be closer then the experts think...

Date: November 16, 2013 09:51AM

Not the best week with the spreads, but all game selections based off my spreads were correct! On to next week.

(16) South Lakes @ (1) Centreville (-49.0)
*Centreville won 35-0; did not cover spread

(9) TC Williams @ (8) South County (-21.0)
*South County won 51-27; good spread

(13) Stone Wall Jackson (-14.0) @ (4) Washington-Lee *Upset Alert
*SWJ with the seed upset 42-34.

(12) Battlefield @ (5) Langley (-6.0) *Awesome game… I think
*Langley won 28-21; pretty much nailed that spread

(15) Chantilly @ (2) Lake Braddock (-20.0)
*Lake Braddock won 56-31; Chantilly’s O came to play against a pretty decent LB offense, but couldn’t stop their vaunted passing attack.

(10) Fairfax @ (7) Yorktown (-21.0)
*Yorktown won 12-7, a lot closer than I expected

(11) Robinson (-7.0) @ (6) Patriot *Another awesome game!
*Robinson won 35-13; sets up a rematch with Westfield which was a 1 point game a few weeks ago.

(14) Hayfield @ (3) Westfield (-24.0)
*Westfield won 33-12.

Division 5
(16) Edison @ (1) Massaponax (-35.0)
*Mass won 60-22; good spread

(9) Albermarle @ (8) Falls Church (-14.0)
*Falls Church won 24-23

(13) Mount Vernon @ (4) Tuscarora (-20.0)
*Tuscarora won 35-27.

(12) Jefferson @ (5) North Stafford (-28.0)
*North Stafford won 43-7.

(15) Lee @ (2) Stone Bridge (-45.0)
*Stone Bridge won 55-7; great spread

(10) Freedom Woodbridge @ (7) Broad Run (-14.0)
*Broad Run won 35-6.

Posted by: tossweep ()
Date: November 16, 2013 10:05AM

concernedparent11 Wrote:
> I was at the Lee-stonebridge game and was beside
> myself. The stone bridge offense did whatever they
> wanted, and defensively they stifled out any hopes
> for anything good to happen on offense. I swear
> the coaches don't know how to use all the athletes
> they have at lee. its so frustrating week after
> week to see the same mistakes made by terrible
> coaches over at lee.

Clearly a delusional parent. Everyone knows that murray, brooks, and shaker and great coaches that know what they're doing. Sometimes you dont have the players. I also question where all these "great athletes" are at roberto e lee high school...

Posted by: beach matchups ()
Date: November 16, 2013 10:13AM

Does anyone know what happened down in the eastern region playoffs last night?

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: November 16, 2013 10:44AM

concernedparent11 Wrote:
> The stone bridge offense did whatever they
> wanted, and defensively they stifled out any hopes
> for anything good to happen on offense.

They were 2-8 for a reason. Why would this game have been any different?

Posted by: theskyisfalling ()
Date: November 16, 2013 10:53AM

concernedparent11 Wrote:
> I swear
> the coaches don't know how to use all the athletes
> they have at lee. its so frustrating week after
> week to see the same mistakes made by terrible
> coaches over at lee.

to concernedparent11:

I coached against Lee this season and it was a pain in the ass to prepare for their offense. The offensive coaches there scored alot of points when they were at west potomac with similar athletes.

This seems to be a theme in northern virginia across several schools in this region. "if my little johnny doesn't play, its all the coaches fault." Its bullshit. Teach your kids some accountability for once. At least its not baseball parents.

Posted by: LB/Cville? ()
Date: November 16, 2013 12:02PM

who is more likely to go 11-1 LB or CVILLE

Date: November 16, 2013 12:07PM

Neither - they are on a crash course to play in the state semis and will both be 13-0 at that point. So question should be who is more likely to go 13-1?

Posted by: brad dock ()
Date: November 16, 2013 12:17PM

LB going to the state finals baby!

Date: November 16, 2013 12:19PM

Not so sure about Lake Braddock. I have posted before analysis as to why Centreville will beat them and go to the state finals.

Posted by: The Kicker ()
Date: November 16, 2013 12:40PM

Before anyone freaks out, especially Cville fans, AJ Turner was hurt last night. I've heard that it was a neck strain. He should be good to go next week.

Posted by: Cville injured players ()
Date: November 16, 2013 01:40PM

The Kicker Wrote:
> Before anyone freaks out, especially Cville fans,
> AJ Turner was hurt last night. I've heard that it
> was a neck strain. He should be good to go next
> week.

What about Nickens-Yzer? I heard he re-aggravated his shoulder injury and might be out for a couple of weeks? If true, not good...

Date: November 16, 2013 01:49PM

That is correct, I was at the CVille game last night. Did appear that AJ Turner had a neck strain/sprain, not an MCL injury like some errant post from above stated. Good news it does not appear to be much worse than that. In any event, best of luck in recovery Mr. Turner, you are a great player and CVille Nation is looking forward to seeing you in upcoming weeks (and next year too!!)

Date: November 16, 2013 01:50PM

Not clear how bad Nickens-Yzer is hurt

Posted by: Wildcat Fan ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:08PM

What was the halftime score of the Centreville-South Lakes Game?

Was it a blow out like the first 10 games?

I know 35-0 is till a lopsided game but I was expecting much worst!

Posted by: WTF happened in Ashburn last nig ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:08PM

147-14.

That is the combined score for the three Ashburn teams ( Stone Bridge, Briar Woods, and Broad Run ), all of whom won easily.

Why is Ashburn so good in football? Any reason?

Date: November 16, 2013 02:16PM

For CVille game it was 21-0 at half. Typical, sloppy first playoff game where one team much better than the other. Then scare with AJ Turner injury and so the game became more of going through the motions and just getting it done with no real serious injuries. Not to worry, CVille is still as good as advertised, just need to stay healthy.

Date: November 16, 2013 02:18PM

Excuse me it was 28-0 at half.

Posted by: WildcatNation ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:24PM

CVille certainly controlled the game last night but South Lakes came to play! They had a TD called back and the QB overthrew 2 or 3 other wide open TDs. Score could have been 35-14 or 35-21. There was a lot of respect between the 2 coaching staffs after the game. I think Haddock left off the gas in the 2nd half

Date: November 16, 2013 02:38PM

Not so much what South Lakes did but what CVille did not do. Yes there were a few missed assignments but that will be good film fodder for the coaches to keep the pressure on the team in practice. Touchdown would not have been a touchdown without the holding call. Plus if South Lakes had scored the gas would not have been let off and it would have been 52-14 or whatever...

But your broader point is well taken - cannot take anything for granted in the playoffs because it is one and done.

Pages: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 27

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.