HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 27
Re: Highschool Football 2013
Posted by: SLFAN ()
Date: November 16, 2013 03:18PM

Centreville had some problems with South Lakes passing game, they had people open, just didnt get it to them. They won easily, but, You can say whatever you want, if they play like that against South County or Lake Braddock, they will be turning in the equipment. Going through the motions will not get it for Centreville.

The playoffs are a new season, Centreville can be beat!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hsfballfan ()
Date: November 16, 2013 03:55PM

Sure, reasonable opinion but again I think just some confusion on two plays in pass coverage last night for Centreville. Congratulations to South Lakes for almost scoring points......

Simply a good wake up call and Centreville will make adjustments. Problem with beating every team by 30-40 points is a few mistakes get amplified. I do not expect Centreville to beat South County and then Langley/SJackson and then Lake Braddock by 30-40 points but I do expect them to beat them. Remember Centreville demolished Chantilly 42-0 and Chantilly put up 31 points on Lake Braddock last night. There is a difference between can be beat and will be beat.

Posted by: mysteriomaco ()
Date: November 16, 2013 04:04PM

Centreville will not lose to SOCO or LB

Posted by: brad dock ()
Date: November 16, 2013 04:17PM

we will see about that baby - LB all da way

Posted by: SOCO FAN ()
Date: November 16, 2013 04:19PM

Centreville WILL lose to SOCO. Mark it down.They played WF in the rain and lucked out.

Date: November 16, 2013 04:28PM

I like "luck" when it is based on a 28-0 win over Westfield who by the way took Lake Braddock to the brink losing only by 4 or something like that. And by extension Braddock disposed of SOCO so not sure where your logic suggests SOCO will beat Centreville. Lake Braddock might make a game out of it with CVille but SOCO will be overmatched when it plays a solid overall team like CVille. Best of luck to your team, you will need it.

Posted by: coach ()
Date: November 16, 2013 05:04PM

Just a few points I want to go over so please forgive me for the novel I'm about to write.

Have seen Centreville play this year, it definitely will be a shock if they are not the 6A North representative for the state championship. As noted in several of these posts they have tremendous athletes but so do a lot of the Concorde teams. What sets Centreville apart is their coaching staff, hands down best in the 6A North.

The Westfield-Lake Braddock game should have been won by Westfield, one of their MLB's intercepted Henderson with under 2 minutes left in the game. The referee closest to the play, but with the worst angle, ruled it an incompletion. The replay for Gameday Magazine and photos from the game show it was clearly an interception. The very next play is when Henderson threw the winning TD pass.

My personal opinion is that if a Centreville-Lake Braddock game does wind up transpiring for the 6A North title Centreville will win big. It will be close for the first half, maybe into the 3rd quarter. However, Lake Braddock has a few players that play both sides of the ball and against Westfield those young men certainly looked gassed by the 4th quarter. Think Centreville will wear them down and pull away by at least 2 TD's. But that's just my opinion of course.

All teams go through injuries throughout the season, difference is the deep teams can keep plugging along. Please don't think I'm making excuses but Westfield did have 2 starting OL's and 6 defensive starters out for the Centreville game.

Do I think that would have made a difference in the outcome, absolutely! Do I think that means that Westfield would have won, I doubt it. Centreville is just to strong, hardest team to prepare for because they have no weaknesses or tendencies that show on film. Once again, that's all about coaching.

I also don't think Westfield's run of anything is over. They've been around for what, 13 years? With the exception for the last 2 seasons Verbanic was there they typically win 8-10 regular season games every year. Byproduct of a school that has 2,700 or so kids, bound to be a few good football players in the mix.

Centreville has a very good chance to not only win the 6A title this year but next year too. However, anything can happen, especially in the postseason, Westfield certainly is a great example of this over the past 2 postseason runs.

Good luck to all the teams still playing, should be some good games over the next few weeks.

Date: November 16, 2013 05:07PM

Well reasoned analysis. Thanks for bringing some additional well thought out posting to this site.

Posted by: retardonomics ()
Date: November 16, 2013 05:26PM

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> What sets Centreville apart is
> their coaching staff, hands down best in the 6A
> North.

HAHA. Most ridiculous statement ever put on this website.

Date: November 16, 2013 05:30PM

Would you like to suggest some alternative choices?

Posted by: NOVA observer ()
Date: November 16, 2013 05:37PM

Anything can happened in the playoffs and it usually does.
Regular season doesnt really matter now, lose one and your done.

Centreville had a great regular season, but to say they they cant be beat....see Westfield 2011, 2012 undefeated both years.As a matter of fact, there are times the best team doesnt win the region.

The northern region is down this year, it makes Braddock and Centreville look better then they are. Most games were blow outs in the first half.I cant remember it being as bad as this.

I give both teams credit for a great regular season, but be aware, both can be beat.

Didnt Centreville beat Oakton last year in the regular season, then lost to them in the playoffs. Braddock lost in the first round to Oakton last year.

Neither team is invincible.

Date: November 16, 2013 05:53PM

Of course no team is invincible (and that includes CVille and Braddock). In fact from here on any of the teams left "could" win out as teams get hot, there are injuries, bad weather, what have you. I personally am just saying I have seen all of the teams play this year and my thought is CVille and Braddock will win out there sides of the bracket and then CVille will win by about 10-14 points against Braddock. If some other team upsets this prediction I will be the first to offer my congratulations and support down in Charlottesville. It is simply not right for other posters to say this team is going to win or whatever but there is never any analysis to support that conjecture. If you make a claim, show a bit of thought process....otherwise we could all just say a team that is 0-10 is somehow going to magically make the playoffs and beat the contenders...

Stay classy NOVA.

Date: November 16, 2013 05:57PM

Also do not think that Northern Region football is that down compared to previous years - it is just that CVille and Lake Braddock are a notch above. If you read other sites you will see the same happening down south where Oscar Smith and Ocean Lakes are a notch above the competition down there as well.

Posted by: NRWatcher ()
Date: November 16, 2013 06:07PM

My observations after watching both LB and Centreville. I have no bias toward either team. I think it would be a great game.

Here is the comparison:

Offense

QB LB Size arm strength, running, passing, LB much better as they are geared for pass

RB Centreville both have very good running games, Centreville may be a little better as the offense is geared for run but not much

WR LB big tall fast receivers who get to the ball and can run after the catch

OL LB they have the size strength can run and pass block as good as I have seen this year.

Defense

DL Centreville they are very good up front
LB LB they play down hill and are very good in coverage
DB Centreville very good secondary will be tested against LB tho

Who will win .....LB in a very close game

Posted by: football ()
Date: November 16, 2013 06:08PM

to change the subject, TC got a 15 yard penalty Friday night for running through SOCOs inflatable tunnel. they are sooo stupid

Posted by: Jack Cooked Kent ()
Date: November 16, 2013 06:11PM

WTF happened in Ashburn last nig Wrote:
> 147-14.
>
> That is the combined score for the three Ashburn
> teams ( Stone Bridge, Briar Woods, and Broad Run
> ), all of whom won easily.
>
> Why is Ashburn so good in football? Any reason?

Used to be Redskins training camp, so lots of people with current or former association with the team

Full of middle-management types who work 9-5 jobs and spend their spare time coaching their kids

Small schools so they play crap teams like Marshall, Lee and Park View, rather than big schools like Centreville and Lake Braddock

Date: November 16, 2013 06:22PM

First to the TCWilliams tunnel thing that is why teams like that are not in the playoffs any longer (smile). I understand that just pissed SOCO off to play even better than they are.

To the CVille/LBraddock analysis - well thought out, thanks again for upping the level on this site. A few quibbles though (reasonable people can differ):

QB - Of course Henderson is better than Walter but not by as much as you might think. Walter can run very well, is very athletic and strong, and has been very efficient in the 15 of so passes per game he is asked to throw.

Running - big edge to Centreville not just slight edge. Theirs is the best pure running attack I have seen at the high school level in some time. Braddock's running attack has worked against lesser competition but will not hold up to Centreville D which has something like 70 stops for losses against opposing offenses.

Linebackers - no one in Braddock or the Northern Region for that matter is better than Chad Wiggins at CVille. If I am coaching I would have him spying on Henderson all game long. Henderson will not be able to scramble out of messes like he has against lesser competition.

Finally, I think the big difference is Offenses could be thought of as a wash -the Braddock passing plus some running vs CVille running plus some passing. Even with that I will take the running on a cold December day anytime than the spread offense. However I do think that Cville's defense is a true notch above that of Lake Braddock's. We have seen that all year with CVille for instance blanking Westfield but Braddock giving up 24 against them and CVille blanking Chantilly but Braddock giving up 31 (yikes - that is quite a bit, no disrespect to Chantilly but it is simply not as good as a Centreville this year). Defense will rule.

Final piece - not always a big deal but it will be in a state semis- Centreville has home field advantage. Crowd will make a difference here and there.

Again here is my prediction CVille 35 Lake Braddock 24

Posted by: Ashburn Glory ()
Date: November 16, 2013 07:05PM

You guys with your Fairfax superiority complex crack me up.

Ashburn teams are all under 2000 kids. They play schools of similar size... and typically destroy Fairfax schools of similar size.

Stone Bridge almost beat Lake Braddock this year, and didn't play well against Westfield, but have beat them in the past.

And don't say it is just Stone Bridge, because Briar Woods is going to knock off SB in two weeks.

Add 800 - 1000 kids to any of the Ashburn schools and it would be that team playing Centreville for trip to the state finals.

Hell, a .500 Broad Run team beat Herndon by 30 last year, and Broad Run crushed South Lakes in a full scrimmage right before season started.

Poster was right about middle management types taking off to coach their kids.

Nothing wrong with that, however.

Posted by: Reminds me of ()
Date: November 16, 2013 07:12PM

This SC/CVille game reminds me of sc/sb a couple of years ago

Posted by: ahhh...opinions ()
Date: November 16, 2013 07:48PM

hsfballfan...nice commentary and quite refreshing to hear legit opinions rather than the vitriol most like to serve as insight on this site...

Why don't we look at the washington post and see what it says about stats and head to head because, really at the end of the day, that's about all we have until LB plays Cville. but before...a little background.

Cville runs a wing t - a 4 back offense. each back and series compliments the other. their offensive line is arguably one of the best. huge, gaping holes to run through. their backs are fast, athletic, quality through and through. Each player is a compliment to the other and the entire offense is about using fakes and deception. REALLY good HS rushing offense. Their pass game is built off their run game. they don't truly throw to throw. they throw because you're overplaying some aspect of their run game which gives you lots of one on one throws. Walter is really good at faking and finding the kid he needs to throw to.

LB runs a zone read offense. 2 backs with the qb and running back each connected to the bigger play. they don't run the old 5 wide stuff like they used to...they actually run the ball and they block very effectively. No FB in their system, not a lot of faking, just hit the dive and read the play. They use their throw game to set up their run game. stop the run and the ball goes to the receivers...overplay the receivers and the ball goes to the rb or qb.

seen both play and it's a toss up as to who runs the ball better. it's just different and it's all personal preferences and who you like and where you live as to who runs the ball or passes the ball better or not.

as far as passing the ball, I think I'd go with LB if I had to drive the field. that's what henderson did to westfield when they needed it. Can Centreville do that with 2 minutes left in the game? running play action is not the same as pushing the ball downfield. Just isn't.

how about some stats?

common opponents as found on WashPost -

chantilly - passing

Walter was 3-7 for 70 yards with no TDs.
henderson was 13-22 166 with 3 TDs and 1 INT

chantilly rushing -

CV 28 rushes for 307 yards - 4 players each had about 80 yards a piece, great balance
LB 36 rushes for 307 yards - lee had 196 and henderson 111

robinson - passing

walter - 10-15 158 with 2 TDs
henderson 14-25 201 with 3 TDs and 1 INT

robinson rushing -

CV 19 rushes for 95 yards...can't believe that's true but that's what they had...CV scored on some unusual plays - turner had a TD pass? Punt return by Tutt. Turner had 64 rushing yards, Walter had 31.
LB 33 rushes for 200 yards - O'Brien had 57 and Henderson 112

TC williams rushing -

CV Turner went nuts - 6 for 142 2 TDs. walter no stats.
LB 35 rushes for 355 yards. obrien had 118 2tds and henderson 120 2 tds.

TC williams passing -

walter - 12-14 206 and 3 TDs
henderson - 11-26 182 and 2 TDs.

so what can we say from all of this?

both run their schemes effectively. both throw the ball effectively. CV helps their defense by grinding out teams. LB does no favors running 5 plays in 30 seconds then back goes the defense...

when they both play I say it will be an epic game. Kinda like the region championship two years ago between WF and CV.

CV will grind out yards and keep the LB defense on the field. LB will score quick and on big plays. I guess it might come down to kicking...I'd go with huddleston from LB.

what the hell, who knows...let's just see and enjoy the game.

Posted by: SLParentz ()
Date: November 16, 2013 07:50PM

Broad Run "Crushed" South Lakes?

Broad Run beat South Lakes 7-0. When they put the JVs in Broad run scored another TD.

Get a Life!

Posted by: nat4lee ()
Date: November 16, 2013 07:57PM

Here are the games on tap next week:

Class 6A Playoffs -- Second Round

November 22 and 23, 2013
(Dates and times announced Monday)

North

#8 South County (9-2) at #1 Centreville (11-0) in Clifton.
#13 Stonewall Jackson (7-4) at #5 Langley (9-2) in McLean.
#7 Yorktown (9-2) at #2 Lake Braddock (11-0) in Burke.
#11 James Robinson (8-3) at #3 Westfield (9-2) in Chantilly.

South (Eastern)

#4 Grassfield (9-2) at #1 Oscar Smith (11-0) in Chesapeake.
#3 Western Branch (10-1) at #2 Ocean Lakes (11-0) in Virginia Beach.

South (Western)

#5 Forest Park (8-3) at #1 Varina (9-2) in Henrico.
#3 Colonial Forge (8-3) at #2 C.D. Hylton (10-1) in Woodbridge.

Date: November 16, 2013 07:58PM

Here are the games on tap next week:

Class 5A Playoffs -- Second Round

November 22 and 23, 2013
(Dates and times announced Monday)

North

#8 Falls Church (8-3) at #1 Massaponax (11-0) in Fredericksburg.
#5 North Stafford (9-2) at #4 Tuscarora (9-2) in Leesburg.
#7 Broad Run (8-3) at #2 Stone Bridge (9-2) in Ashburn.
#6 Mountain View (8-3) at #3 Briar Woods (10-1) in Ashburn.

South (Eastern)

#4 Hampton (7-4) at #1 Salem (9-2) in Virginia Beach.
#3 Maury (8-3) at #2 Green Run (8-3) in Virginia Beach.

South (Central)

#5 Hermitage (9-2) at #1 L.C. Bird (11-0) in Chesterfield.
#3 Douglas Freeman (10-1) at #2 Atlee (10-1) in Mechanicsville.

Date: November 16, 2013 07:59PM

Thanks ahh...Opinions for the compliment and right back at you - good analysis. The only thing I think you need to consider further is relative ability of defenses. Again I think the offenses might wash and the difference will be the defenses in this matchup. We could go to yards against and stuff but I look first at points allowed against common opponents - see my earlier post about what Chantilly and WField put up against Braddock (quite a bit) and what they did not put up against Centreville (i.e. 0).

Also want to make something clear - of course I am a CVille fan and I think they will win. But I am also a football fan. I truly hope we have those two teams meet in reasonably good weather in the state semis. 10,000 fans in Centreville stadium for a game like that standing room only - will be a great atmosphere for any northern region high school fan.

Posted by: EasternVaFan ()
Date: November 16, 2013 08:21PM

Ashburn Glory Wrote:
> You guys with your Fairfax superiority complex
> crack me up.
>
> Ashburn teams are all under 2000 kids. They play
> schools of similar size... and typically destroy
> Fairfax schools of similar size.
>
> Stone Bridge almost beat Lake Braddock this year,
> and didn't play well against Westfield, but have
> beat them in the past.
>
> And don't say it is just Stone Bridge, because
> Briar Woods is going to knock off SB in two weeks.
>
>
> Add 800 - 1000 kids to any of the Ashburn schools
> and it would be that team playing Centreville for
> trip to the state finals.
>
> Hell, a .500 Broad Run team beat Herndon by 30
> last year, and Broad Run crushed South Lakes in a
> full scrimmage right before season started.
>
> Poster was right about middle management types
> taking off to coach their kids.
>
> Nothing wrong with that, however.

Loudoun has great FB but:
1) How does SB do when it goes to states?
2) Who did BW beat in playoffs that had < enrollments? See VHSL figures.
3) Would BW have beaten a team such as Phoebus all those years?
4) SB has 2 losses this year to FFX County Teams.

D6 teams from the North have done well at states--just look at those 2 Westfield title teams. From what I can tell, both counties have some good FB.

Date: November 16, 2013 08:27PM

Well... you are having this discussion on the FAIRFAX underground... there's bound to be a little hometown bias.

Date: November 16, 2013 08:46PM

Reminds me of Wrote:
> This SC/CVille game reminds me of sc/sb a couple
> of years ago

Agreed in that SoCo is a big underdog with an O that is quick, deceptive and blessed with a smart QB. SoCo upset SB 2 years ago with a dominating D that held Phoebus in check at UVA before losing 20-10 on the bombs to Deloatch. Ever since then, SoCO's D hasn't been very good when it counts most. Last year the D was beaten off the field in playoffs by Yorktown, 48-28. This year, it gave up 37 to TC, 34 to Chantillu, 45 to LB, and 21 to Hayfield. Anything can happen next Friday --but the D must stand tall if SoCo is to pull the upset.

Date: November 16, 2013 08:51PM

Exactly (on the point of SOCO's D needing to stand up). Folks I will say it again. The reason why CVille will beat SOCO, then Stonewall (or Langley) and then even Braddock is because Centreville's defense is really good and the defenses for these other teams while competent not as good. Centreville WILL score with all those teams but will those teams put up the same numbers they are used to against lesser competition against Centreville's D? I for one do not think so. Going way back to the post about Centreville missing a few assignments against South Lakes, I realize Centreville is not going to shut these teams out. But they will win games like 35-21 against all three because the other teams are simply not going to put 40 points on CVille at CVille.

Date: November 16, 2013 08:55PM

In fact I hope CVille wins against SOCO something like 35 to 21 so we can get past this "oh my god" Centreville gave up a few points. In playoff ball we should not continue to expect them to shut out opponents and then freak if they don't. It is about winning and I would be perfectly happy with games with a 35 to 21 style score consistently....all about winning three more games to go to states, nothing more nothing less.

Posted by: Football Fever ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:06PM

ahhh...opinions Wrote:
> hsfballfan...nice commentary and quite refreshing
> to hear legit opinions rather than the vitriol
> most like to serve as insight on this site...
>
> Why don't we look at the washington post and see
> what it says about stats and head to head because,
> really at the end of the day, that's about all we
> have until LB plays Cville. but before...a little
> background.
>
> Cville runs a wing t - a 4 back offense. each
> back and series compliments the other. their
> offensive line is arguably one of the best. huge,
> gaping holes to run through. their backs are
> fast, athletic, quality through and through. Each
> player is a compliment to the other and the entire
> offense is about using fakes and deception.
> REALLY good HS rushing offense. Their pass game
> is built off their run game. they don't truly
> throw to throw. they throw because you're
> overplaying some aspect of their run game which
> gives you lots of one on one throws. Walter is
> really good at faking and finding the kid he needs
> to throw to.
>
> LB runs a zone read offense. 2 backs with the qb
> and running back each connected to the bigger
> play. they don't run the old 5 wide stuff like
> they used to...they actually run the ball and they
> block very effectively. No FB in their system,
> not a lot of faking, just hit the dive and read
> the play. They use their throw game to set up
> their run game. stop the run and the ball goes to
> the receivers...overplay the receivers and the
> ball goes to the rb or qb.
>
> seen both play and it's a toss up as to who runs
> the ball better. it's just different and it's all
> personal preferences and who you like and where
> you live as to who runs the ball or passes the
> ball better or not.
>
> as far as passing the ball, I think I'd go with LB
> if I had to drive the field. that's what
> henderson did to westfield when they needed it.
> Can Centreville do that with 2 minutes left in the
> game? running play action is not the same as
> pushing the ball downfield. Just isn't.
>
> how about some stats?
>
> common opponents as found on WashPost -
>
> chantilly - passing
>
> Walter was 3-7 for 70 yards with no TDs.
> henderson was 13-22 166 with 3 TDs and 1 INT
>
> chantilly rushing -
>
> CV 28 rushes for 307 yards - 4 players each had
> about 80 yards a piece, great balance
> LB 36 rushes for 307 yards - lee had 196 and
> henderson 111
>
> robinson - passing
>
> walter - 10-15 158 with 2 TDs
> henderson 14-25 201 with 3 TDs and 1 INT
>
> robinson rushing -
>
> CV 19 rushes for 95 yards...can't believe that's
> true but that's what they had...CV scored on some
> unusual plays - turner had a TD pass? Punt return
> by Tutt. Turner had 64 rushing yards, Walter had
> 31.
> LB 33 rushes for 200 yards - O'Brien had 57 and
> Henderson 112
>
> TC williams rushing -
>
> CV Turner went nuts - 6 for 142 2 TDs. walter no
> stats.
> LB 35 rushes for 355 yards. obrien had 118 2tds
> and henderson 120 2 tds.
>
> TC williams passing -
>
> walter - 12-14 206 and 3 TDs
> henderson - 11-26 182 and 2 TDs.
>
> so what can we say from all of this?
>
> both run their schemes effectively. both throw
> the ball effectively. CV helps their defense by
> grinding out teams. LB does no favors running 5
> plays in 30 seconds then back goes the defense...
>
> when they both play I say it will be an epic game.
> Kinda like the region championship two years ago
> between WF and CV.
>
> CV will grind out yards and keep the LB defense on
> the field. LB will score quick and on big plays.
> I guess it might come down to kicking...I'd go
> with huddleston from LB.
>
> what the hell, who knows...let's just see and
> enjoy the game.

Let's take this a bit further. Special Teams can be an important part of the games. How would you rank them?

In addition, like mentioned, 'ahhh...opinions' did not take into account defense and seems to think LB can score on any.

Finally, you are comparing numbers from a Cville team that rarely plays in the 2nd half and often not even into halftime. Their defense keeps the other team from moving so their offense often plays a short field.

Date: November 16, 2013 09:09PM

Good question.

For special teams....

Kicking Lake Braddock has edge as that kid booms kicks into the end zone religiously.

Punting - I think about even

Returns - I cannot tell you how many times Tutt or Turner have returned punts this year, too many times to mention. I have only seen Braddock a few times so do not know how many they have but would be hard pressed to believe any better on punt returns than Centreville.

So a bit of a wash...

On the numbers game you are absolutely right - if Centreville had kept their starters in most games the numbers would have been 70-7 instead of 40s and 50s.

Date: November 16, 2013 09:15PM

And I forgot to answer your question about defense. Centreville has the best defense in the Northern Region. Simple as that. If SOCO or LB or anyone thinks they are going to put up 40-50 points on them (or maybe even above 20 or 30), I have some Ocean front property to sell you in Wyoming.

Date: November 16, 2013 09:16PM

Repeat after me football fans

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!

Plus it is nice to have an explosive offense like CVille does as well just for fun....

Date: November 16, 2013 09:17PM

you da man hsfballfan, you know da truth!!!!!!!

Date: November 16, 2013 09:22PM

Well thank you MACO but not really....just years of myself learning the hard way being enamored by fancy high powered offense style teams that did not perform in crunch time due to insufficient defenses.....(and meeting up with other teams that did have sufficient defenses)

Posted by: Fairfaxfootball ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:26PM

Laugh at it all you want, but I'm calling Langley vs. South County for the state semifinal.

Date: November 16, 2013 09:30PM

No laughing here, everyone entitled to their opinion. However, those two could not play in the state semis as they are on same side of bracket. CVille plays SOCO and Langley plays Stonewall Jackson. Winners of those two games play then for right to go to semis. On other side you have Braddock, Ytown, Robinson, Westfield.....

Posted by: football ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:30PM

Fairfaxfootball, sorry but you are a FOOL

Date: November 16, 2013 09:34PM

Hey Fairfaxfootball, you want to throw 2-9 Lee into that finals matchup while we're making impossible predictions?

Date: November 16, 2013 09:38PM

How about the Vienna 100lb league team ha ha

Posted by: Really?? ()
Date: November 16, 2013 10:03PM

Let's see if centerville's d can stop socos offense as no one has been really able to shut them down

Date: November 16, 2013 10:12PM

If Lake Braddock can hold SOCO to 21 points I am comfortable that CVille will hold them to 21 or less. Can you say the same about SOCO's defense against Cville's offense?

Posted by: Really?? ()
Date: November 16, 2013 10:16PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> If Lake Braddock can hold SOCO to 21 points I am
> comfortable that CVille will hold them to 21 or
> less. Can you say the same about SOCO's defense
> against Cville's offense?

Pretty sure in that game sc put up like 600 yards of offense. But I am confident that this sc team will give up at least 40 Pts

Posted by: ahh...opinions ()
Date: November 16, 2013 10:40PM

I am astounded that a pretty reasonable conversation has broken out in FFXUND...

for poster Really?? As far as yards I'd say that SOCO was used to hitting big plays and having them end as touchdowns...watching the gameday video, the lee kid hawking down deuce deuce was breathtaking...they scored later but extra plays gives you more yards. Give LB credit for not letting them get the big plays they were used to. There is also a big difference between running 55 offensive plays and 95. I would say that LB's 55 were far more effective and explosive than SOCO's 95. The WashPost has LB at 600 yards and SOCO at 690. total plays LB has far less than SOCO. when you score fast and only take 4, 5, 6 plays to drive the field it can be pretty devastating but doesn't show in the box score. It will be interesting to watch SOCO against CVille. CVille gambles and sends lots of pressure. I'd like to see if SOCO can pop through the chaos up front. If they can, it could be interesting. I also think Symmes can get the ball downfield and make plays with his arm. He's really good and could be the type of player CVille has problems against.

Now, onto my new friend hsfballfan...while I'm no fan of any particular team, I do like good football and I appreciate well coached football teams. I think penalties will make a huge difference as we get closer to the finals. SOCO commits LOTS of penalties...so does LB. CVille not so much. keep those down and don't fumble and you give yourself a better chance at victory.

Finally defense...I know the old axiom that defense wins championships held favor in 1974. HS offenses have become fairly sophisticated and scoring points is easier in this era than in previous eras...rule changes, trends in offense have all make scoring points much easier.

I think it comes down to Jimmys and Joes and not necessarily Xs and Os. If you run a sound offense and defense, you can buy some victories. When your offense and defense compliment each other like Cville then you get 10-0. When your offense scores fast and allows a defense to bend and not break, then you get LB 10-0. What if LB kept CVille in front of them and kept CVille from cracking huge runs? Big IF but couple that with an offense that has gotten better each week and it gets interesting.

Looking at the box scores, it appears that both Cville and LB scores happen in early quarters. Look at SOCO and you get them all over the game. Both CVille and LB haven't played their starters past 3rd quarter. Did I hear correctly that WT Woodson left after the third quarter rather than tee it up after a lightning delay versus LB? I've also noticed that CVille has been able to find other kids to step in for the injuries they've gone through. Either way, you've got some interesting matchups.

Hey this is fun...

Date: November 16, 2013 10:51PM

Good stuff ahh...

You have hit on the key in your statements. Centreville does not need to break big runs even though they can and will. What is deadly about them is they will go on an 80 yard drive with plays that go 6, 10, 4, 7, 8, 4, 11, 5, 11 yards, etc. They keep pounding (think of it as 8 yards and a pile of dust instead of 3) and will in my opinion control enough of the clock that the high octane Braddock offense (or SOCO this week) will only have a certain number of chances on offense themselves. So of course both teams will score on some of those chances but they better convert on all of their chances if they want to win because I do not believe they will have nearly the same number of overall possessions that they are used to.

Make sense?

Date: November 16, 2013 11:06PM

hsfballfan...it does, to a point. So if Cville gets the ball and goes 75 yards and scores a TD and LB gets the ball and takes 5 plays to score a TD which is what the stats bear out, we are in for a really good football game.

What team did Cville play that threw the ball? sending 7 and locking up man knowing that the other team really can't throw through blitz is not necessarily a gamble.

My point is that SOCO could have an answer to the riddle.

The Cville defense is built on throwing pressure after pressure. Find a team that can handle that and you've figured out the riddle.

the poster who commented about how South Lakes had people open is a red herring. If you can't get the ball there, who cares if you got folks running free. QBs can't throw on their backs.

I think what we all will find with 6A South teams are matchup issues and teams willing to pump the ball downfield. There's a reason why the 757 is heavily recruited by the top 20 BCS teams.

but at the end of the day, it's about good, stimulating conversation that doesn't hinge on name calling and personal attacks. HSFBALLFAN keep up the good work.

Date: November 16, 2013 11:13PM

Agreed on staying classy and no name calling.

By the way I watched the tape of CVille and South Lakes on Gameday Network again. There were two plays of any note in the passing game for South Lakes. First there was one tight end that got loose because the CVille Lbackers miscommunicated who would take him. He was overthrown but still a mistake but not one of ability or whatever just an ad hoc mistake. Very correctable by Cville.

Then there was one more where the South Lakes receiver went down field about 20 yards well covered but dropped the ball.

Rest assured I am not concerned about any erstwhile issues in Cville's pass defense.

Anyway, I am done for the night, time to get off for awhile. Looking forward to SOCO....talk to everyone later.

SMILE

HSFBALLFAN OUT!!!

Posted by: The Kicker ()
Date: November 16, 2013 11:27PM

AhhOpinions--
W-L threw the ball all over the field against Centreville. They only ran maybe 7 times the entire game. Yet, the Centreville defense stood tall. You have to remember, Tutt is an elite cover corner (Raeshawn Smith might be the only one better than him in the region) and Turner is also in the secondary. That's why, for the most part, they can get away with rushing six and just manning up across the board. Most of the time, the blitz will at least pressure the quarterback if not get to him, especially when you have Wiggins and Love, among others.

Date: November 16, 2013 11:34PM

Hello Kicker...

Cville is a great defense. All respect on that. I'd also say that W&L had a great year and did great things in their district...Coach Shapiro should get a medal for turning that program into a winner. W&L is no SOCO and as we found SOCO is no LB. Cville players are outstanding, Wiggins et al are very, very good. SOCO has good players as well and so does LB. But that's the fun of football over other sports like baseball or basketball. You don't get the immediate gratification of the match up. You have to wait, ponder and post onto FFXUND until it gets settled at the game.

PEACE

Posted by: Really...talent ()
Date: November 17, 2013 02:52AM

To Ashburn Glory:
Your argument about Asburn schools doesn't make sense. FFX schools must compete with students that are registered to attend (by boundary or pupil placement policy). Asburn and Loudon schools can attend anywhere due to over crowding of schools. The really good schools are all-star teams. This is why there are so many really bad teams. The Concorde district is full of the best football teams and coaching in NOVA. Stone Bridge had the opportunity to join a few years ago and refused. Playing that schedule each year is killer. On a normal season the district produces 4 playoff teams and in recent years it has been 5 of 6 schools making the playoffs. That is impressive.

Posted by: Ashburn Programs ()
Date: November 17, 2013 07:38AM

Loudoun does not allow you to go to whatever school you want. Where did you see that?

No, Briar Woods would not have defeated Phoebus in the day - NO ONE, D6 teams included, would have.

How does Stone Bridge do in states? They do very well, getting to several finals only to have Phobus get in the way. Last year, they were the only team that hung with Lake Taylor, who mashed Phoebus last year.

Considering enrollments, the football is just better.

THAT is why Stone Bridge chose to stay and play Fairfffffax D5 schools. He wants a district championship every year, and playing Fairfax schools he is guaranteed that.

Tuscarora is a new D5 school who could also handle the D5 teams from Fairfax. Falls Church is the best D5 school in Fairfax County, and they would finish 5th or 6th if they played in a Loudoun district.

Oh, and Stafford area also would dominate Fairfax schools. Massoponex and North Stafford are just as good as Stone Bridge and Briar Woods.

By the way, didn't Caleb Henderson transfer to Braddock so he could play on a contender?

Why yes, yes he did!

Posted by: 6JTT4 ()
Date: November 17, 2013 10:54AM

Why are we talking about Ashburn and D5, look at the teams that play D5... Not impressive at all. Stone Bridge lost by 25 to Westfield for God's sake. Now I'll give you they've had some fantastic teams, but this year's version would have finished 5th in the Concorde.

D5 has gotten considerablly worse this year. Falls Church may be the best D5 Fairfax team and did have a fantastic year, but can you imagine them against the D6 powers... Dominating D5 is nothing to be proud of in football, we'll talk during basketball season though, where I think D5 is better than D6.

Posted by: Football Fever ()
Date: November 17, 2013 11:24AM

Really?? Wrote:
> hsfballfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If Lake Braddock can hold SOCO to 21 points I
> am
> > comfortable that CVille will hold them to 21 or
> > less. Can you say the same about SOCO's
> defense
> > against Cville's offense?
>
>
> Pretty sure in that game sc put up like 600 yards
> of offense. But I am confident that this sc team
> will give up at least 40 Pts

Kind of proved the point. 600 yards and 21 points. Tells me SC defense let the other team score, in LB's case, 5 TD's and 3 FG's then have to start deep and SC cannot sustain a drive.

The more I think about it, LB's scoring strength and strong kicker, put defenses on their own 20 which is a great way to start defending a drive. Making LB punt and getting the ball around the 35 or 40 can change things. That being said, they did give up 21 to SC and 31 to Chantilly although not sure how long LB kept their starters in.

Posted by: It always funny this time of ()
Date: November 17, 2013 12:07PM

year it the same old SB Bullshit

The SB loses to 757 teams all the time so they must not be good, SB stays in the Liberty to win championships every year. SB should be in the Concorde is all BS...Let's start with the Liberty BS first SB moved up to D5 when their enrollment reached the level where they should no longer play D4 and they moved up immediately even though they could have delayed it. Unlike the pussies at Broad Run and then the ultimate pussies at Briar Woods who stayed in D4 as long as they could to be the big fish in a little pond and win championships when they were by far the largest D4 programs in the state. In Briar Woods case they have had D6 enrollment for years now including this year. Hell Loudoun Valley moved from D5 to D6 after only being D5 one year a few years ago when their enrollment got that high, but Briar Woods hides behind the time lag of when VHSL enforces rules. Briar Woods is full of shit every championship they have is full of shit, even winning this year would still make them full of shit because they have D6 enrollment. This week will be Briar Woods first D5 playoff last week they beat Potomac Falls who is the smallest D5 from Loudoun oh and by the way PF moved up as soon as they had to. SB did not join the Loudoun district this year because they were worried it would fall apart they will wait and see if the pussies from BW and BR stay D5 before they leave the old Liberty. Many reasons for that but I wont get into that detail here.Get over the SB belongs in the Concorde crap because its just that crap SB does not have Concorde enrollment period. But I do agree they would have sucked in the Concorde this year, but most years since 2005 they would have won the Concorde.

For an earlier post by EasternVa Football Fan - SB does tend to shit the bed at states both players and coaches alike and have lost games that they should have won on more than one occasion. But that does not mean another Ashburn team is better because they won in the same years SB lost. I already went into that above. I hear BW is very one dimensional on offense this year and can't stop the ground and pound game can anyone say North Stafford. I hear BW is also more hype than real this year. Even with hearing that this is one of SB's worst teams in a few years but 2-3 years ago when they finally played BR after years of not playing each other, BR came to SB with a far better team and still lost. The same can happen to BW. On paper and in the dumb ass media hype they seem to be the better team but many supposedly better teams have shown up at SB field the day after Thanksgiving and left thoroughly beaten. Liberty in 03, Louisa in 04, Edison and Matoaca in 05, Phoebus in 07, I could go on. Bottom line is SB usually shits the bed in the championships not at home in the regional championships and state semis.

By the way this year for the first time despite what idiots from Fairfax think about what made Ashburn teams good in the past, Loudoun kids can now choose to go to whatever school they want to go to. There are many caveats to the rule but it does exist now, go read it if your from Loudoun I won't educate you here. However it never effected movement from one high school to another the Ashburn teams are winning on their own enrollment merits and they are not all star teams heaven help the entire state if they were. The concorde teams would be a joke to play if Ashburn had only 2 high schools instead of three and soon to be five.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: November 17, 2013 12:16PM

Here are the preliminary spreads for the quarterfinals. Should be a number of really fun game to watch!

(8) South County @ (1) Centreville (-25.0)
*South County's defense does not have a prayer at stopping Centreville; and Centreville's defense will be by far the toughest South County has faced. This spread is conservative, only because I think Centreville will take more of a playing the clock approach with a big lead and trying to stay healthy for next week.

(13) Stonewall Jackson @ (5) Langley (-7.0)
*Langley draws a Prince William school for the second consecutive week. Once again this should be a great game and don't sleep on Langley's O-line.

(11) Robinson @ (3) Westfield (-7.0)
*Played a 1 poiint game 3 weeks ago. A Robinson win would not suprise me as I have not been impressed by Westfield at all this year, but I will take the safe pick at home.

(7) Yorktown @ (2) Lake Braddock (-35.0)
*With injuries, I believe Yorktown is the weakest team remaining in the D6 field.

D5
(8) Falls Church @ (1) Massaponax (-20.0)
*Falls Church should be incredibally proud of their season, unfortunately it will be a rough trip to Fredricksburg to end it.

(5) North Stafford (-14.0) @ (4) Tuscarora
*North Stafford will be in the region final... Calling it now.

(6) Mountain View @ (3) Briar Woods (-20.0)

(7) Broad Run @ (2) Stone Bridge (-20.0)
*Get to see a battle of Ashburn here, and winner will take on Briar Woods for Ashburn supremacy. The Stone Bridge-Briar Woods game the following week which I feel real comfortable calling will be a phenominal atmosphere.

Posted by: Really...talent ()
Date: November 17, 2013 02:05PM

Got the info from their website. Also from coaches and parents. Coaches can go get kids by using the system.

School Assignment

1. Instructional Suitability: Students may be reassigned to a school other than their regular school of assignment at the discretion of the school division for the purpose of providing students a more appropriate instructional program that better meets their individual educational needs and in accordance with established policies. Special programs, such as special education, have separate procedures for the placement of students. Students reassigned due to instructional suitability are entitled to transportation services provided by the school division according to established transportation policies and procedures, unless specified otherwise.
2. Relieving Overcrowding: Students may be reassigned to a school other than their regular school of assignment at the discretion of the school division for the purpose of relieving overcrowding (also called “overflow”), if the regular school of assignment or a particular grade level at an elementary school of assignment is overcrowded. In such a situation, the student may be reassigned to another school in which suitable capacity exists, with transportation provided by the school division. Effort will be made to reassign an overflow student to the closest possible school with suitable capacity, and to return the student to his or her regular school of assignment at the start of the next school year in which the overcrowding situation no longer exists at the regular school of assignment.
Special Permission: A student may request to attend a school of his or her choosing by special permission of the school division for one academic year provided the following conditions are met:
A. Sufficient capacity exists at that school (or grade level in the case of elementary schools, or in special education programs or classes at any school level) for the student to do so without causing or exacerbating overcrowding or an overflow situation, or potentially incurring additional cost to the school system.There is a commitment of the student’s parent or legal guardian to provide a means of reliable transportation for the student to and from the school, as transportation of the student may/may not be provided by the school division;

Posted by: ???????????????????????????????? ()
Date: November 17, 2013 02:32PM

steve k2 Wrote:
> Here are the preliminary spreads for the
> quarterfinals. Should be a number of really fun
> game to watch!
>
> (8) South County @ (1) Centreville (-25.0)
> *South County's defense does not have a prayer at
> stopping Centreville; and Centreville's defense
> will be by far the toughest South County has
> faced. This spread is conservative, only because
> I think Centreville will take more of a playing
> the clock approach with a big lead and trying to
> stay healthy for next week.
>
> (13) Stonewall Jackson @ (5) Langley (-7.0)
> *Langley draws a Prince William school for the
> second consecutive week. Once again this should
> be a great game and don't sleep on Langley's
> O-line.
>
Who do you got if it is langley v centerville?

Posted by: football observer ()
Date: November 17, 2013 02:55PM

The Loudoun school choice thing just started this year. It doesn't have anything to do with the previous success of Ashburn schools.

Posted by: Dr.Lipp ()
Date: November 17, 2013 04:17PM

The spread is conservative? You got to be kidding me! How much better do you think Centreville is on D than TC? How many Tarheels do they have on D? The thing that scares them is TC blitzes just like Centreville, and Soco gashed them. Braddock's D is as good as Centreville's and Soco gashed them. If Symmes doesn't throw those 2 picks in the first half it's 24-21 Soco. Soco will win. Turner is OUT,neck and knee. Too much speed for Centreville. Centreville is a pretender. Concord is down, nothing but boobs over there.

Posted by: Mr. Dr. Lipp ()
Date: November 17, 2013 04:25PM

Centreville uses the Tubby Raymond bible on wing T, Just running plays to run them. Haddock is a tard, can't adjust or call plays. If it wasn't for Neff and Mathie, He would be nothing. Just another dork coach from northern Virginia. Nice tie tool box.

Posted by: Leatherneck ()
Date: November 17, 2013 04:39PM

Dr. Lipp, thanks for proving wrong earlier posters that there were no dickheads left on this forum.

Posted by: Douchie VonDouchington ()
Date: November 17, 2013 04:54PM

this is getting old - Ashburn Program - henderson moved. legit move. righteous move. they moved. Why would the old man stay at WP? Why would anyone stay at WP? any questions, stop by their house...in burke. So they moved...alright? Do you get it? One more time - why would anyone live in that armpit of the universe? Why would anyone go to WP? Why would the family stay in that community? Why not go somewhere else? They moved. I'd be madder if they stayed.

Posted by: Coach ()
Date: November 17, 2013 05:16PM

"The spread is conservative? You got to be kidding me! How much better do you think Centreville is on D than TC? How many Tarheels do they have on D? The thing that scares them is TC blitzes just like Centreville, and Soco gashed them. Braddock's D is as good as Centreville's and Soco gashed them. If Symmes doesn't throw those 2 picks in the first half it's 24-21 Soco. Soco will win. Turner is OUT,neck and knee. Too much speed for Centreville. Centreville is a pretender.Concord is down, nothing but boobs over there."

You must be speaking from the heart because you certainly don't have much knowledge when comparing TC and Centreville. If I'm not mistaken Centreville absolutely destroyed TC earlier this year, 44-16. Centreville doesn't have future Tarheels on defense, you're correct, however that would probably be because most of the starters are juniors. TC has 2 kids going D1 I believe, next year at this time Centreville will have more than that. Love, Tutt, and Turner easy, maybe more. TC's defense isn't even in the same category as Centreville's. This was an intelligent football thread until you joined!!

Please, for all of those "Concorde is just down this year" experts, seems like there are 3 teams form the district advancing to this weeks round. Pretty impressive representation if you ask me.

Date: November 17, 2013 05:21PM

Oh yes, I also forgot, no disrespect to Lake Braddock but their defense is not as good as Centreville's. Lake Braddock gave up 24 points to Westfield, that's with a sure TD reception dropped by a wide open Bulldog just before half. Centreville gave up zero points and a total of 3 first downs to Westfield.

I'm done!!

Date: November 17, 2013 06:00PM

It always funny this time of Wrote:
> year it the same old SB Bullshit
>
> The SB loses to 757 teams all the time so they
> must not be good, SB stays in the Liberty to win
> championships every year. SB should be in the
> Concorde is all BS...Let's start with the Liberty
> BS first SB moved up to D5 when their enrollment
> reached the level where they should no longer play
> D4 and they moved up immediately even though they
> could have delayed it. Unlike the pussies at Broad
> Run and then the ultimate pussies at Briar Woods
> who stayed in D4 as long as they could to be the
> big fish in a little pond and win championships
> when they were by far the largest D4 programs in
> the state. In Briar Woods case they have had D6
> enrollment for years now including this year. Hell
> Loudoun Valley moved from D5 to D6 after only
> being D5 one year a few years ago when their
> enrollment got that high, but Briar Woods hides
> behind the time lag of when VHSL enforces rules.
> Briar Woods is full of shit every championship
> they have is full of shit, even winning this year
> would still make them full of shit because they
> have D6 enrollment. This week will be Briar Woods
> first D5 playoff last week they beat Potomac Falls
> who is the smallest D5 from Loudoun oh and by the
> way PF moved up as soon as they had to. SB did not
> join the Loudoun district this year because they
> were worried it would fall apart they will wait
> and see if the pussies from BW and BR stay D5
> before they leave the old Liberty. Many reasons
> for that but I wont get into that detail here.Get
> over the SB belongs in the Concorde crap because
> its just that crap SB does not have Concorde
> enrollment period. But I do agree they would have
> sucked in the Concorde this year, but most years
> since 2005 they would have won the Concorde.
>
> For an earlier post by EasternVa Football Fan - SB
> does tend to shit the bed at states both players
> and coaches alike and have lost games that they
> should have won on more than one occasion. But
> that does not mean another Ashburn team is better
> because they won in the same years SB lost. I
> already went into that above. I hear BW is very
> one dimensional on offense this year and can't
> stop the ground and pound game can anyone say
> North Stafford. I hear BW is also more hype than
> real this year. Even with hearing that this is one
> of SB's worst teams in a few years but 2-3 years
> ago when they finally played BR after years of not
> playing each other, BR came to SB with a far
> better team and still lost. The same can happen to
> BW. On paper and in the dumb ass media hype they
> seem to be the better team but many supposedly
> better teams have shown up at SB field the day
> after Thanksgiving and left thoroughly beaten.
> Liberty in 03, Louisa in 04, Edison and Matoaca in
> 05, Phoebus in 07, I could go on. Bottom line is
> SB usually shits the bed in the championships not
> at home in the regional championships and state
> semis.
>
> By the way this year for the first time despite
> what idiots from Fairfax think about what made
> Ashburn teams good in the past, Loudoun kids can
> now choose to go to whatever school they want to
> go to. There are many caveats to the rule but it
> does exist now, go read it if your from Loudoun I
> won't educate you here. However it never effected
> movement from one high school to another the
> Ashburn teams are winning on their own enrollment
> merits and they are not all star teams heaven help
> the entire state if they were. The concorde teams
> would be a joke to play if Ashburn had only 2 high
> schools instead of three and soon to be five.

Many good points about SB in particular. It's stupid to argue that Loudoun doesn't have good football. The top teams there can play and put players in D1, too. SB is still a mystery--won the old D5 NR almost every year. Last year's team is a good example with Allen, Burns, Mizell, etc. The game plan at UVA was so conservative that Lake Taylor got up by 20 in the first half and won, 20-14. Re BW, it has mostly beaten schools with lower enrollments in playoffs and at states. Since BW hasn't played the big tough schools in NR, there is no way to know how good those title teams really were. Maybe they really were that good--I don't know and wish we could have seen them play some old D5s. This year Bird, Hermy and Salem are around so it will be fun to see what happens.

Posted by: FFXfootball ()
Date: November 17, 2013 06:36PM

Wanna get back to TC Williams running through South County Tunnel. How did this happen? I am surprised a huge fight didn't break out, if an opponent tries to run through my tunnel, there is going to be a huge problem. Just shows how classless TC is. Keep that shit down in the hood, where you have to play on Saturday afternoons.

Posted by: Pat riot fan ()
Date: November 17, 2013 06:57PM

Coach Wrote:
> Oh yes, I also forgot, no disrespect to Lake
> Braddock but their defense is not as good as
> Centreville's. Lake Braddock gave up 24 points to
> Westfield, that's with a sure TD reception dropped
> by a wide open Bulldog just before half.
> Centreville gave up zero points and a total of 3
> first downs to Westfield.
>
> I'm done!!

Centreville gave up 16 points to TC Williams LB gave up zero.

Whats does that mean? it doesnt mean squat, its a new season.

All the Centreville people on here talk about how the starters only played in the first half of a lot of games...Guess what? So did LB starters.
By that measure according to all the Centreville fans....Looks like LB will be good next year too. How about that!

Posted by: was there ()
Date: November 17, 2013 07:04PM

soco was not on the field yet when TC ran through the tunnel - they were still walking from the building to the stadium. I was standing at that end zone at the time - best part was a TC player in the middle of the pack, who looked all of about 80 pounds, tripped and fell as he started through the entrance.

Posted by: Cville Student ()
Date: November 17, 2013 07:18PM

Coach Wrote:
TC has 2 kids going D1 I believe, next
> year at this time Centreville will have more than
> that. Love, Tutt, and Turner easy, maybe more.
> TC's defense isn't even in the same category as
> Centreville's.

Not to mention Chad Wiggins who already has offers from Richmond and Wake forest and Nickens-Yzer who is being recruited heavily by Mississippi State, VA Tech, UVA and Pittsburgh..

Date: November 17, 2013 07:32PM

CVille Student - do you also know who has been contacting/interest in Turner, Tutt, others? I would assume very strong interest even as juniors....

Date: November 17, 2013 07:40PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> CVille Student - do you also know who has been
> contacting/interest in Turner, Tutt, others? I
> would assume very strong interest even as
> juniors....

The most serious recruiters are:

Turner - Boston College, Penn State
Tutt - ODU, UVA

Date: November 17, 2013 07:42PM

thanks, bet that list for both will increase over the next year!!

Posted by: Cville Studen ()
Date: November 17, 2013 07:43PM

Correction on Wiggins, He has offers from Richmond, Bucknell and just got another offer from Iowa.

Date: November 17, 2013 07:48PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> thanks, bet that list for both will increase over
> the next year!!

Most Definitely!!

This site is awesome. I cant believe Im just finding out about it now. I'll try to keep you updated with Cville recruiting as I hear it.

Date: November 17, 2013 07:50PM

Btw, there are currently 9 cville players being recruited by D1 schools.

Date: November 17, 2013 07:57PM

Recently I and others have been trying to keep this football site as real as possible (with mixed luck, trying to dismiss the comments that are just self serving or downright nasty). So can I ask how do you know that 9 are being recruited, is this an inside tip or is there some other public source/website that has this info. Of course do not give up more than you are comfortable with but we do want to ensure credibility!

Date: November 17, 2013 08:01PM

Lets just say I'm a friend of the football team. :)

Date: November 17, 2013 08:02PM

Got it, thanks! Go CVILLE!

Date: November 17, 2013 08:05PM

247 sports is currently updating player profiles for 3 of the 9 players which will include their recruiting status. I will post here as soon as it's available.

Posted by: novafootball ()
Date: November 17, 2013 08:09PM

Great to hear the Cville is attracting interest at the next level. Concorde has been getting more looks lately. Oakton last year had 7 kids go Division 1.

Who at Westfield (other than Thrasher-Walker) has gotten offers? Anyone on the line?

How about Robinson? Can Pinkston play in college or is he too short?

Other than Rae Smith, who is being recruited at Tilly?

Even Oakton, in a down year, has 4 seniors getting serious looks from schools.

Nice to see the Concorde is respected at the next level.

Coach Wrote:
>
> I'm done!!

Centreville gave up 16 points to TC Williams LB gave up zero.

All the Centreville people on here talk about how the starters only played in the first half of a lot of games...Guess what? So did LB starters.
By that measure according to all the Centreville fans....Looks like LB will be good next year too. How about that!

13 of those points were late 4th quarter, JV players on the field. Not sure what your point is about Lake Braddock being good next year because their starters this year didn't play a lot in the second half of games. How they'll do will depend on how many returning starters are back. Btw, Henderson will be in North Carolina, few other key seniors gone. Centreville has 16 returning starters coming back. Unlike Lake Braddock, they don't rely on just one kid to carry the offense like Henderson does for the Bruins. What do you think LB's chances would be if Henderson wasn't playing right now, slim to none would be the answer.

Please also don't think I'm a Centreville fan either, I'm a local high school coach, would rather not mention my affiliation because I don't want my players getting the wrong impression. I speak from knowledge of the game, the teams, and the players, not my heart. My original post was merely to point out the Lake Braddock's defense is not as good Centreville's. And please don't point to all those shutouts, most of them were weaker teams. Centreville is ranked #1 in 6A North because they played a tougher schedule than Lake Braddock.

One final thought, seems like most posts seem to think 6A North Final will be two of the three teams, Centreville, Lake Braddock, South County. I would not sleep on Westfield, one of the areas best defenses, and Thrasher-Walker, Gray, and Burns on off we at skill positions. Saw film on them where they were running the wildcat with Burns at QB, that's scary. Also, don't forget Westfield's only two loses were to the #1 & #2 seeds!

By the way catching up on some previous posts from today. Of course Langley and SOCO cannot play in the state semis even if they both win, they would play in the game before the state semis. For reasons laid out in posts over last few days however I believe CVille will beat SOCO due to the quality of the CVille vs SOCO defense. On the other hand I think Langley will beat Stonewall on the strength of their overall team but do not snooze on Greg Stroman of SJackson - great athlete. If Langley were to play CVille I predict a few touchdown CVille win. Why? Because Langley's strength is its line and its patient offensive attack. That has worked well against lesser competition. However in my book CVille has the best D in the Northern Region so the Langley line is not going to spook CVille. Also do not see Langley stopping CVille offense to any great extent.

Again I still see a CVille Lake Braddock state semis. Happy to hear the opinions of others. Read posts though over the past few days so we do not need to backtrack again over some of the basic arguments one way or another....smile

One final note - TC Williams should be ashamed running through SOCO's tunnel at SOCO's field. What a disgrace, who do they think they are? Glad SOCO wiped them up in that game.

Date: November 17, 2013 08:14PM

Coach Wrote:
>
> I'm done!!

"Centreville gave up 16 points to TC Williams LB gave up zero.

By that measure according to all the Centreville fans....Looks like LB will be good next year too. How about that!"

Yes, and 13 of those points were late 4th quarter, JV players on the field. Not sure what your point is about Lake Braddock being good next year because their starters this year didn't play a lot in the second half of games. How they'll do will depend on how many returning starters are back. Btw, Henderson will be in North Carolina, few other key seniors gone. Centreville has 16 returning starters coming back. Unlike Lake Braddock, they don't rely on just one kid to carry the offense like Henderson does for the Bruins. What do you think LB's chances would be if Henderson wasn't playing right now, slim to none would be the answer.

Please also don't think I'm a Centreville fan either, I'm a local high school coach, would rather not mention my affiliation because I don't want my players getting the wrong impression. I speak from knowledge of the game, the teams, and the players, not my heart. My original post was merely to point out the Lake Braddock's defense is not as good Centreville's. And please don't point to all those shutouts, most of them were weaker teams. Centreville is ranked #1 in 6A North because they played a tougher schedule than Lake Braddock.

One final thought, seems like most posts seem to think 6A North Final will be two of the three teams, Centreville, Lake Braddock, South County. I would not sleep on Westfield, one of the areas best defenses, and Thrasher-Walker, Gray, and Burns on offense at skill positions. Saw film on them where they were running the wildcat with Burns at QB, that's scary. Also, don't forget Westfield's only two loses were to the #1 & #2 seeds!

Date: November 17, 2013 08:22PM

Interesting thought on Westfield. We will see if the change to more wildcat will make a different. No disrespect to the QB but we have not seen the same quality QB play from Westfield this year. If they can mitigate that of course they can be a challenger....heck they almost beat Braddock at Braddock during the regular season.

Posted by: why ridiculous? ()
Date: November 17, 2013 08:42PM

wildcatrunsupport Wrote:
> mysteriomaco Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have seen all of the important teams in the
> > Northern Region and Centreville is a big notch
> > above. Think they also have a strong chance
> > against the Beach teams. Many people are
> saying
> > Centreville is best team from the Northern
> region
> > since at least the 2007 Westfield state
> > championship team. I believe them. Personally
> > not sold on Lake Braddock, they will be exposed
> as
> > a good but not great team. Just the way it is.
>
>
> totally ridiculous. that westfield team had an NFL
> quarterback and had a massive roster that dwarfed
> Centreville. Teams like that dont sprout up out of
> the ground. That 2007 team was a byproduct of a
> tremendously well run program. I am a wildcat fan,
> and think this is the best team they have ever
> had, but please...

Not ridiculous at all. According to VHSL, The 2013 wildcats are very similar to the 2007 Bulldogs. See below:

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/similar2013_list.cfm

Date: November 17, 2013 08:46PM

Interesting find, thanks for the research

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: November 17, 2013 08:46PM

Coach,

Thanks for your insight and making the obvious argument about Centreville's defense being better than Lake Braddock. Another example is Chantilly scoring 31 on Lake Braddock and 42 on South County and being shut out by Centreville. I too have no affiliation with either of these teams and actually do hope we get some exciting games, but I am going to enjoy seeing some of these delusional Patriot District folks when they see Centreville on the opposite sideline for the first time.

As mentioned above, maybe I caught them at two bad games, and I know they played Braddock down to the wire, but I really do not think they have enough of a passing threat to knock off Lake Braddock and if they somehow did, I really do not think they can be competitive against Centreville despite the first game being played in a down pour throughout. I feel real confident in saying Centreville will play Lake Braddock in the state semi. That being said, assuming my predictions play out this Friday, I do think Langley would give Centreville one of their closest games on the year, and Westfield-Braddock would be a pretty close game too.

Posted by: Just saying ()
Date: November 17, 2013 08:59PM

> (8) South County @ (1) Centreville (-25.0)
> This spread is conservative, only because
> I think Centreville will take more of a playing
> the clock approach with a big lead and trying to
> stay healthy for next week.

CVille will most likley end up with at least a couple of banged up guys after this week because soco has a physical defense

Date: November 17, 2013 09:02PM

Do explain, I have seen SOCO a few times this year and I would not characterize SOCO a physical defense. In fact, have to keep it real - there defense is not very good. Giving up 30+ or whatever points a game. Their offense is very good but defense is fair to middling at best.

Date: November 17, 2013 09:04PM

Watch their junior highlights and tell me these aren't D1 players. They can play at any D1 school in the country! BTW, all three players run 4.45 40's...

AJ Turner
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1719973/

Charles Tutt
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1719926/

Xavier Nickens-Yzer
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1719933/

Date: November 17, 2013 09:09PM

Actually to keep my own stats real, just looked on MaxPreps, looks like they are giving up about 24 points a game....not exactly bruising

Posted by: fan1 ()
Date: November 17, 2013 09:09PM

Will AJ Turner play next week against Soco. I heard he suffered a neck sprain against South Lakes.

Posted by: Just saying ()
Date: November 17, 2013 09:10PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> Do explain, I have seen SOCO a few times this year
> and I would not characterize SOCO a physical
> defense. In fact, have to keep it real - there
> defense is not very good. Giving up 30+ or
> whatever points a game. Their offense is very
> good but defense is fair to middling at best.

When they played LB they injured Hendo and their midget

Date: November 17, 2013 09:11PM

No one knows so no basis to speculate. I was at the game when he was hurt. Do not think it is a long term thing but again I have no inside info. Honestly do not think SOCO will beat CVille even if he does take a week off. CVille extremely deep....

Posted by: just wondering ()
Date: November 17, 2013 09:13PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> No one knows so no basis to speculate. I was at
> the game when he was hurt. Do not think it is a
> long term thing but again I have no inside info.
> Honestly do not think SOCO will beat CVille even
> if he does take a week off. CVille extremely
> deep....

Didnt someone else get injured?

Date: November 17, 2013 09:14PM

Nickens Yzer came out, not sure of his status

Posted by: also ()
Date: November 17, 2013 09:15PM

also when sc played lb they didnt have #2(Gerald) who started both ways

Date: November 17, 2013 09:17PM

SOCO fans I wish you the best and hope you give CVille a good game. But here is the rub - SOCO offense works well because good team speed. But CVille has excellent team speed too and not just Turner, etc. SOCO cannot expect to put up the same offensive numbers it has put up on some teams. But can you expect CVille to put up less points than 24 a game? Likely not.

Date: November 17, 2013 09:19PM

fan1 Wrote:
> Will AJ Turner play next week against Soco. I
> heard he suffered a neck sprain against South
> Lakes.

Yes he is okay. SoCo better be ready for him.

Date: November 17, 2013 09:22PM

That is great news about Turner. I am going to assume your "friend of the CVille program" status gives you insight into latest medical news too. SMILE

Pages: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 27

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.