HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...117118119120121122123124125126127...LastNext
Current Page: 122 of 189
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: navy - going to Oakton ()
Date: February 28, 2008 09:58PM

Don't believe it !! The Navy amendment did not pass because the vote was a tie !!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 09:59PM

Dang, failed 6 to 6. Another win for Stu. Navy goes to Oakton, fewer seats at Oakton for pupil placement. No wonder Stu has been so happy all night and Kathy Smith is miserable. Stu is going to get everything he wants.

Hone has introduced an amendment to leave Madison Island out of this. Another 10 to 2 vote coming up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: FME Mom ()
Date: February 28, 2008 09:59PM

I have Directv, so I can't watch this circus. So if Navy if left out, none of the original purposes of this farce will be met. Oh, well, a whopping 150 kids will be removed from Westfield and Oakton will be sucked dry. I can't believe they are actually going to go through with this crap.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: word ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:02PM

What scenario are they going to go with> If Navy is left out does that mean a Stu or Kathy option? Otherwise how ironic that the most overcrowded school is left untouched...lyin sacks of s.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:02PM

navy - going to Oakton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't believe it !! The Navy amendment did not
> pass because the vote was a tie !!

Of course all of this was agreed to before the meeting. No wonder Kathy has been so upset all night. She's losing the most, while Stu gets everything he wants.

Tina is talking about AP and IB and how AP benefits poor kids. yeah! That's been my argument from the beginning! Stu is busy ignoring Hone and talking to Kaye Kory. Kathy Smith got up and left.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Anonymous ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:02PM

Neen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dang, failed 6 to 6. Another win for Stu. Navy
> goes to Oakton, fewer seats at Oakton for pupil
> placement. No wonder Stu has been so happy all
> night and Kathy Smith is miserable. Stu is going
> to get everything he wants.
>
> Hone has introduced an amendment to leave Madison
> Island out of this. Another 10 to 2 vote coming
> up.


who were 6 against?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Anonymous ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:05PM

word Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What scenario are they going to go with> If Navy
> is left out does that mean a Stu or Kathy option?
> Otherwise how ironic that the most overcrowded
> school is left untouched...lyin sacks of s.


Main motion (staffs) is still the default

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:05PM

word Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What scenario are they going to go with> If Navy
> is left out does that mean a Stu or Kathy option?
> Otherwise how ironic that the most overcrowded
> school is left untouched...lyin sacks of s.

Navy has to go. The amendment to leave them out was defeated, 6 to 6.

Hone is talking about the lack of due process from the beginning of this process. She's also saying how the people have lost faith in the schools. She says she never got a clear answer as to why all of Madison and Langley was not included in this study.

Stu looks bored with Hone and now with Raney.

Stu could at least pretend to care since he knows he's getting everything that he wants tonight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Anonymous ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:08PM

I think Stu knows this is the beginning of the end of him politically.

His reign of terror on the school board is over

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Which Option ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:09PM

Which of the 4 boundary options will they vote for? 1-2-3 or 4 I just tuned in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: SLVerity ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:09PM

Tina Hone is a self-serving, self-centered politician. This is all about her and her grandstanding. She could give a rats ass about MI, except for maybe any money they threw her way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:10PM

Anonymous Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Dang, failed 6 to 6. Another win for Stu. Navy
> > goes to Oakton, fewer seats at Oakton for pupil
> > placement. No wonder Stu has been so happy all
> > night and Kathy Smith is miserable. Stu is
> going
> > to get everything he wants.
> >
> > Hone has introduced an amendment to leave
> Madison
> > Island out of this. Another 10 to 2 vote
> coming
> > up.
>
>
> who were 6 against?

Kathy, Stu, Janie, Tessie, Kory, and I've forgotten the last one.

Janie is supporting leaving Madison Island out, so this will be a 9 to 3 vote instead of 10 to 2.

Only Stu seems to be happy tonight, everyone else looks pretty miserable. Now he's talking about redistricting elementary schools in Reston in coming years if Sunrise is over crowded. They could send those kids to Terraset and send others to Dogwood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:11PM

SLVerity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tina Hone is a self-serving, self-centered
> politician. This is all about her and her
> grandstanding. She could give a rats ass about
> MI, except for maybe any money they threw her way.

So which school board member isn't that way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Anonymous ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:12PM

Neen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anonymous Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Neen Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Dang, failed 6 to 6. Another win for Stu.
> Navy
> > > goes to Oakton, fewer seats at Oakton for
> pupil
> > > placement. No wonder Stu has been so happy
> all
> > > night and Kathy Smith is miserable. Stu is
> > going
> > > to get everything he wants.
> > >
> > > Hone has introduced an amendment to leave
> > Madison
> > > Island out of this. Another 10 to 2 vote
> > coming
> > > up.
> >
> >
> > who were 6 against?
>
> Kathy, Stu, Janie, Tessie, Kory, and I've
> forgotten the last one.
>
> Janie is supporting leaving Madison Island out, so
> this will be a 9 to 3 vote instead of 10 to 2.
>
> Only Stu seems to be happy tonight, everyone else
> looks pretty miserable. Now he's talking about
> redistricting elementary schools in Reston in
> coming years if Sunrise is over crowded. They
> could send those kids to Terraset and send others
> to Dogwood.


Janie's political CYA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Tyrone ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:12PM

Well, is we gettin a whole bunch of new white bitches over here at SLHS or what?
I cant wait to bang em.


I can't follow all this bulljive on tv. Are we winning?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: word ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:12PM

slverity - crawl back in your hole

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:12PM

Most likely they will vote on staff's original proposal and it will pass 10 to 2.

Hone is nailing Stu again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Hone ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:12PM

She makes the most sense of them all !!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: SLVerity ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:13PM

She is the only one grandstanding tonight.

Neen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SLVerity Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tina Hone is a self-serving, self-centered
> > politician. This is all about her and her
> > grandstanding. She could give a rats ass about
> > MI, except for maybe any money they threw her
> way.
>
> So which school board member isn't that way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:14PM

>>>Janie's political CYA<<<

Of course.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Anonymous ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:15PM

SLVerity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She is the only one grandstanding tonight.
>
> Neen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > SLVerity Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Tina Hone is a self-serving, self-centered
> > > politician. This is all about her and her
> > > grandstanding. She could give a rats ass
> about
> > > MI, except for maybe any money they threw her
> > way.
> >
> > So which school board member isn't that way?


Center, Storck and Bradsher have been through the boundary fiasco last year and know better.

Kathy is wondering why she let janet run for the 37th last year

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:15PM

Wow, Moon surprised me, vote for leaving Madison Island out failed by 8 to 4.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:16PM

Neen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > who were 6 against?
>
> Kathy, Stu, Janie, Tessie, Kory, and I've
> forgotten the last one.

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Anonymous ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:17PM

Neen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, Moon surprised me, vote for leaving Madison
> Island out failed by 8 to 4.


are we back to main amendment yet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:18PM

Brad Center is introducing the main motion. He's saying that this isn't a democracy but a representative democracy. They have to have public comment but they don't have to listen to them. He and Stu agree that sometimes the process works, sometimes it doesn't. People who think the process isn't fair are those who aren't getting what they want.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: yesitis ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:22PM

Neen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brad Center is introducing the main motion. He's
> saying that this isn't a democracy but a
> representative democracy. They have to have
> public comment but they don't have to listen to
> them. He and Stu agree that sometimes the process
> works, sometimes it doesn't. People who think the
> process isn't fair are those who aren't getting
> what they want.


you could say the opposite is true also...that those that got what they wanted think it is fair

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:23PM

So, will Moon vote against this? Will the vote be 9 to 3, not 10 to 2?

Brad is telling us how much they all care. And he's sorry that some people don't trust the board when they are all caring and their motives are always pure. UGH. He feels compelled to do something. It's not a programmatic issue it's a capacity issue. This issue is taking too much of their time so they must do it tonight. UGH again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: who'schoice ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:24PM

the elitist on the school board have the choice and not the public

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: ss ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:25PM

SLVerity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tina Hone is a self-serving, self-centered
> politician. This is all about her and her
> grandstanding. She could give a rats ass about
> MI, except for maybe any money they threw her way.


and you are a self-serving, self-centered house frau.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:29PM

Liz Bradsher is spouting the usual junk about how ALL our schools are good. She's saying that some people have an entitlement attitude when they don't want to go to South Lakes. She is also saying that there is no school choice in FCPS. UMMMM.......she's mentioned public forums that have criticized her fellow board members. Would that be this forum?

Looks like Stu has Liz's support. She's whining about her kids and how she went sent her kids to a diverse school and they learned alot about treating others well. I guess she couldn't teach her children that at home.

Liz's speech is awful, really being nasty about those who oppose being sent to South Lakes. What a nasty crab.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: ARE ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:30PM

SLVerity....you are angry because Hone makes all the sense.

Like someone said before, go crawl back into your hole.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: word ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:33PM

are the idiots going to vote soon? is this the final grandstanding? Liz - KMA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:38PM

who'schoice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the elitist on the school board have the choice
> and not the public

True. Liz Bradsher says that those who oppose this are elitist and have an entitlement mentality.

Phil is saying that he is offering his best judgment and wants to be held accountable. He's supporting a flawed process with a flawed outcome. Sheeze.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: poobah ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:39PM

word Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> are the idiots going to vote soon? is this the
> final grandstanding? Liz - KMA

Word, at this point it is fairly obvious what is going to happen. Now the fun whoopty frickity dog dooo begins.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:39PM

word Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> are the idiots going to vote soon? is this the
> final grandstanding? Liz - KMA

Yes, they will vote after this round of speechifying.

The only question, will the vote be 10 to 2 or 9 to 3?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:41PM

Raney is talking about costs saying that no one knows what the costs will be and no one cares. He's right. They don't care what the programs they support cost. Costs are only used as excuses to not do things they don't want to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Option Map ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:45PM

Which option is the main option they are voting on...

1-2-3 or 4.

On the fcps website there is the base map and then 4 other options.

Which one are they voting on so I know which map to look at.

thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: fm/c/o parent ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:45PM

My tv/cable stopped showing channel 21 about 15 minutes ago when Hone was talking. What a coi-nky-dink. Anyway, it's too depressing. Just wondering, can the rest of you still see it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:47PM

Ok, Moon is supporting it. My original prediction, 10 to 2 will be right.

Moon is saying that it doesn't matter which school a child attends. Oh really? Then why are his children at TJ?

Once again, Moon screws Asians. I'll never understand why they continue to support him. He does nothing for them, or any other student.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Anyone ?? ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:49PM

Which option is the main option they are voting on...

1-2-3 or 4.

On the fcps website there is the base map and then 4 other options.

Which one are they voting on so I know which map to look at.

thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:49PM

Yes, I can still see the board on Cox.

Kathy Smith is saying that process isn't flawed and there was lots of time for community feedback. She says the process is fine but she would like to change it in the future. Sheeze, she makes NO sense.

Storck says it's just a hard process and they aren't perfect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: samggee ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:51PM

Anonymous Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Stu knows this is the beginning of the end
> of him politically.
>
> His reign of terror on the school board is over


Really? all the dems will vote for him again like the lemmings they are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:51PM

They are voting on the main staff proposal, Fox Mill, Madison Island, and part of Floris to South Lakes, and part of Navy to Oakton.

Storck is droning on about what a good job they've all done on the board and how hard they've worked.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:52PM

samggee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anonymous Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think Stu knows this is the beginning of the
> end
> > of him politically.
> >
> > His reign of terror on the school board is over
>
>
> Really? all the dems will vote for him again like
> the lemmings they are.

Of course.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:53PM

10 to 2. What a surprise. NOT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Which Map ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:53PM

Which map on the fcps website will be the new boundary?

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/westcoboundary/index.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: what'snext ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:53PM

what's next for those who lost?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Fair Oaks Estates ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:55PM

Will the Navy community of Fair Oaks Estates and Century Oak go to Oakton?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: herb ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:55PM

What a motley crew! The aging vamp (Kory), the younger battleax (Bradsher), the windbag (Center), the reject from a rozerem commercial (storck), etc. But, I am sure they will keep getting reelected.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Baffled ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:56PM

Well well well looks like the main motion is being carried on with staff's original option..now the real question is will this redistricting actually work for South Lakes? The sb didn't really say much about one of the main issues ..the ap vs ib programs..my prediction is the aftermath of the redistricting. Its gonna flop. Oh boy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: bringthewalletsout ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:56PM

What a bunch of woozess!

My deepest condolences to you all....now is time to bring out your wallets and star the process of suing the Board...that would be the only way to stop this madness.

SLVERITY: go to hell!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: muppets ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:57PM

10:2

arrogant muppets

vote for a few amendments for show and then link arms and blow kiss-offs to the audience

Done deal upfront

Stu was appalling - basically admitted that no-one wants to go to SLHS but scr*w you, you're all racists and bigots and I know best

Janie did exactly as expected - a temporary show for her constituents then a final push under the bus

I loved the student with the lemons and lemonade quote - even he couldn't bear to stay

lots of platitudes but real shortage of backbone

lots of 'its a flawed process but we've not got the courage to back down'

a farce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:57PM

Which Map Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which map on the fcps website will be the new
> boundary?
>
> http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/westcoboundary/in
> dex.htm

Staff scenario 1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: word ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:01PM

could someone post the names of the 2 who voted against this - they rock! it still ain't over

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: herb ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:02PM

Comparing South Lakes HS to lemons - is that what the yes-man, student rep meant to say? Umm, ummm, every other word, what an intellect!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Esquire ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:02PM

What's next someone asked? Why, the lawsuit, of course!

It's going to cost millions, too bad all these months were wasted on here instead of fundraising. If any of you have any equity in your houses, please contact your lenders tomorrow!

This is war! This will not stand!

Give 'til it hurts to the StopRD legal fund!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:02PM

muppets Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 10:2
>
> arrogant muppets
>
> vote for a few amendments for show and then link
> arms and blow kiss-offs to the audience
>
> Done deal upfront
>
> Stu was appalling - basically admitted that no-one
> wants to go to SLHS but scr*w you, you're all
> racists and bigots and I know best
>
> Janie did exactly as expected - a temporary show
> for her constituents then a final push under the
> bus
>
> I loved the student with the lemons and lemonade
> quote - even he couldn't bear to stay
>
> lots of platitudes but real shortage of backbone
>
> lots of 'its a flawed process but we've not got
> the courage to back down'
>
> a farce

I have to agree that Stu was nasty and arrogant even when he knew he had won. He can't even be nice in victory but has to get in his last shots at his constituents who opposed his plan. How is that helpful to South Lakes? He continues to insult the people who he is trying to force to go to South Lakes. Does he think that will encourage warm feelings toward his school and the people in it? He's only antagonizing people more and making them more determined to get out of going to his school by whatever means necessary. His nasty speech has ensured that the failure of this redistricting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:03PM

word Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> could someone post the names of the 2 who voted
> against this - they rock! it still ain't over

Hone and Raney, of course.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: samgee ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:05PM

In a perfect world, Hone and Raney (two class acts) would be the SB Chairman and Vice-Chairman - heck, i would like to write their names in in November.
Move over, Obama.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Stu Gibson seems gay ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:06PM

Stu Gibson seems gay
Watch out for him in the mens room

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:07PM

What a shame that Stu, and the others, made no effort to reach out to those who have just been screwed. Nothing conciliatory at all. Even I am surprised by that. I really thought that Stu would be nice about it, and offer some bone, talk about offering AP, or something. He essentially said that South Lakes is great and screw you bigots who disagree. He offered them NOTHING. What a terrible way to begin. This is dismal. It will never work now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: fm/c/o parent ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:07PM

Well Neen, I was hoping you would be wrong for once, but I guess you called it. Maybe I'll see some of you tomorrow night at the community center.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: sir/madam, have you no shame? ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:09PM

Neen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> word Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > could someone post the names of the 2 who voted
> > against this - they rock! it still ain't over
>
> Hone and Raney, of course.


Hone and Raney did well

The others should all resign in shame - although stu looked as if he might go postal in the interim

Storck made me laugh - hundred of phone calls, hundreds of face-face, thousands of emails - yup and you ignored them all - bravo

I hope they all watch the video and see how craven they all looked - what was the quote about Mcarthy "Sir, have you no shame"


Janie sold the island out good and proper - smooooothly done - I was impressed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Full of shit ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:11PM

Why would the scores of the students already attending SLHS go up just by having additional students attending. Makes no sense. They are masking the real problem with new students whose scores would be higher anyway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: hang together ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:12PM

the 10 clearly decided "better to hang together than hang alone"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:13PM

Phil just made, and the SB just passed, a motion to lock in IB at SL until full implementation of the RD.

So IB stays at SL for at least the next 5 years.

Those of you who don't like IB just got an extremely sharp stick in the eye.

Phil wants a better sales job on IB undertaken.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: I vote to expel the the people on the ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:14PM

I vote to expel the the people on the school board who voted for this farce !!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:14PM

I was hoping that at least they would try to put in an AP program at South Lakes. Or delay this for a year, or something. The offered nothing to the redistricted people, other than insults. How very, very, sad.

Maria Allen was just on television, channel 9. And other parents saying that they will continue to fight.

Other than Maria Allen and Stu, everyone seemed rather sad tonight. I'm pretty sure that Kathy was crying and Janie looked grim. I suspect that most board members know that this won't work. I do wish that Stu could have risen to the occasion and done something other than praise SL PTSA President and insult his constituents. It might have helped, at least a bit. It might have done something other than reinforce the determination of those redistricted to not go to SL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:21PM

Thomas More Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phil just made, and the SB just passed, a motion
> to lock in IB at SL until full implementation of
> the RD.
>
> So IB stays at SL for at least the next 5 years.
>
> Those of you who don't like IB just got an
> extremely sharp stick in the eye.
>
> Phil wants a better sales job on IB undertaken.

Oh my gosh, are you serious?!!! Did that really happen? I can't believe this, they just continue to add insult to injury! They've just stuck in the nail in the coffin for SL. Parents will NOT send their children there without AP. It's over for SL.

Why is it Phil's job to lock in any program at South Lakes? That's not his district, and his constituents don't attend South Lakes. Should the SL's community make the decision on AP and IB? Obviously not.

How many more people will be hired to sell IB? They've been trying to do that for at least 8 years and it hasn't worked yet! Why do they continue to beat this dead horse? Do they think that people in the county are just stupid and that they can eventually convince them to love IB? How much more money must we waste on this program and the selling of this program that cannot be sold?

Why on earth did they vote to force IB on the community for the next 5 years? Who voted for that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: sleepy ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:21PM

Thomas More Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phil just made, and the SB just passed, a motion
> to lock in IB at SL until full implementation of
> the RD.
>
> So IB stays at SL for at least the next 5 years.
>
> Those of you who don't like IB just got an
> extremely sharp stick in the eye.
>
> Phil wants a better sales job on IB undertaken.

We just got a ticket out. whew hoo, Phil, and all the other nincompoops that don't understand what they just voted for, cuz they got sleepies in their eyes!

What a laugh, now they want everyone to fill out their census forms so they can get more money. ha-ha. you won't see these from new recruits.

and now they are getting their super hero certificates. little do they know that the super heroics haven't nearly begun. snaazzzzzzyyyyyyy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Secret plan ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:26PM

Neen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thomas More Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Phil just made, and the SB just passed, a
> motion
> > to lock in IB at SL until full implementation
> of
> > the RD.
> >
> > So IB stays at SL for at least the next 5
> years.
> >
> > Those of you who don't like IB just got an
> > extremely sharp stick in the eye.
> >
> > Phil wants a better sales job on IB undertaken.
>
> Oh my gosh, are you serious?!!! Did that really
> happen? I can't believe this, they just continue
> to add insult to injury! They've just stuck in
> the nail in the coffin for SL. Parents will NOT
> send their children there without AP. It's over
> for SL.
>
> Why is it Phil's job to lock in any program at
> South Lakes? That's not his district, and his
> constituents don't attend South Lakes. Should the
> SL's community make the decision on AP and IB?
> Obviously not.
>
> How many more people will be hired to sell IB?
> They've been trying to do that for at least 8
> years and it hasn't worked yet! Why do they
> continue to beat this dead horse? Do they think
> that people in the county are just stupid and that
> they can eventually convince them to love IB? How
> much more money must we waste on this program and
> the selling of this program that cannot be sold?
>
>
> Why on earth did they vote to force IB on the
> community for the next 5 years? Who voted for
> that?


There must be a secret plan underway-to fill some of the empty seats at Herndon HS AP. That is the only rationale thing I can think of.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:26PM

Neen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Who voted for that?

Unanimous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: NavyDoesNotGet Out ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:28PM

NavyGetsOut,

Well, what happen? You all forfeiting your agreement to pay for Kathy's post-vote shrink visit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Forum Reader ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:30PM

Thomas More Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phil just made, and the SB just passed, a motion
> to lock in IB at SL until full implementation of
> the RD.
>
> So IB stays at SL for at least the next 5 years.
>
----------
He did NOT want to lose so many students from Oakton. This move will promote AP pupil placement requests back to Oakton as well as to Herndon. I can't see how it could help South Lakes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Baffled ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:30PM

Like I said, this is gonna flop..the IB being locked in for the next 5 frigging years? This is utterly insane..utterly oh boy......

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Next Step ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:33PM

SLVerity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tina Hone is a self-serving, self-centered
> politician. This is all about her and her
> grandstanding. She could give a rats ass about
> MI, except for maybe any money they threw her way.


She's running for County Supervisor. Announces tomorrow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: word ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:35PM

Neen - how did Kathy Smith vote on the amendment to exempt Navy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Go Away ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:35PM

SL.....aren't you supposed to be back under your rock !!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: For Shame ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:36PM

This is a low moment for the South Lakes community. I live here, I don't want IB, and no one listens. SL won the battle but lost the war. The kids will not come because they will be able to pupil place.

Meanwhile, IB supporters in SL were telling AP supporters in SL to keep their mouth shuts until after redistricting and raise all the points then, and now we don't even get a chance. Count on SL pyramid folks pupil placing out, too.

Not everyone in SL Pyramid supports IB, and having a muzzle placed on us during this process by people in our own Pyramid gained us nothing. They got everything they wanted, and we will be left holding the bag.



Thomas More Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Who voted for that?
>
> Unanimous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Against ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:36PM

Kathy voted "against" the Navy amendment

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: word ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:45PM

Recommendations for SL:

1 - shut up
2 - get rid of ib - put in ap
3 - join the concorde district
4 - apologize for your behaviour
5 - lose your reston heritage, rename the school (eg west potomac)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Baffled ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:48PM

word Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Recommendations for SL:
>
> 1 - shut up
> 2 - get rid of ib - put in ap
> 3 - join the concorde district
> 4 - apologize for your behaviour
> 5 - lose your reston heritage, rename the school
> (eg west potomac)


Need to add 3 more to add up to the 8 criteria used in a boundary study. What are the three next ones?

Nice suggestion about getting rid of IB but the vote just locked it in for FIVE years...FIVE..does that sound arbitrary anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:48PM

word Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neen - how did Kathy Smith vote on the amendment
> to exempt Navy?

She voted against it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Baffled ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:51PM

So with the IB being locked in for the next five years, will the AP Human Geography still be offered or what?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Forum Reader ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:53PM

For Shame Wrote:
> ... IB supporters in SL were telling AP
> supporters in SL to keep their mouth shuts until
> after redistricting and raise all the points then,
> and now we don't even get a chance. Count on SL
> pyramid folks pupil placing out, too.

Good point. The motion will help the students who don't want to move into South Lakes. It can only hurt those already there, some of whom have been posting here, who prefer AP.

Even if the majority at South Lakes clearly state they want AP, their only hope now is to pupil-place out. They should not have to leave their base school any more than the rest of us. This motion created a whole new set of School Board "victims."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:59PM

Baffled Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So with the IB being locked in for the next five years, will the AP Human
> Geography still be offered or what?

It was offered but it is not known if enough kids signed up for it for the class to go forward in September.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Hone and Rainey are no good ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:00AM

Clearly these two members are the least experienced in SB dealing with public school issues. They offer critiques but no concrete solutions. They are elected to server our children not playing spoilers.

Hone is confused with her own position. She supports the goals of the study, recognizes SL needs more students, but doesn't want to do anything. She criticizes the process, but can't offer a process she thinks is good. I kept hearing this process is flawed, but no one can point out what the flaws are. The only thing I heard tonight was no community involvement in setting up the goals for the study. Do we really community involvement on everything the SB does? How can the SB function effectively, if every little thing must have a public hearings on it? Even Tina supports the goals for this study, Rainey is the only one questioning the need of balancing the enrollment. This process has worked before.

Hone is kinda annoying sometimes. She talked about rule of laws, constitution, torture, supporting burning the flag, blah blah. What was her point? By LAW the school board has the authority to do the boundary study. The process is the RULE. The SB are democratically elected. If you don't like the rule or law, there is a process to change it. But don't screaming that this is not democratic.

And what the hell does she being an African American have to do with any of these? I am tired of hearing on TV, local or national, "as an African American, I know the injustice and blah blah". Being an African American doesn't give you a free pass to call others racist.



Next Step Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SLVerity Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tina Hone is a self-serving, self-centered
> > politician. This is all about her and her
> > grandstanding. She could give a rats ass about
> > MI, except for maybe any money they threw her
> way.
>
>
> She's running for County Supervisor. Announces
> tomorrow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Old Timer ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:11AM

Here is the actual text of the motion by Phil N. E. after the boundary vote. It was passed unanimously but is not "locking" in IB for 5 years regardless of what TM says.


Direct the Superintendent—in conjunction with implementing the South Lakes High School's (SLHS) and related boundary adjustment— to report to the School Board at the October 2008 work session on efforts to further strengthen SLHS’s advanced academic opportunities for its students through its International Baccalaureate (IB) program and through individual IB and Advanced Placement (AP) courses. In addition to reporting on these efforts, the SLHS Advanced Course Report shall also provide:

1. the communications strategy used by SLHS and Langston Hughes Middle School (LHMS) to introduce IB to Western Fairfax middle school and high school families who may wish to pupil place their child into the IB Middle Years Programme, or the IB high school program;
2. the process by which SLHS will help facilitate opportunities for students taking IB courses to secure AP credit by preparing for, and taking, the AP examination for similar course content areas;
3. a time frame for engaging the SLHS/LHMS community in a discussion about advanced curricular opportunities offered, and to be offered, at SLHS and LHMS as the schools reach their maximum estimated enrollment.

Further direct the Superintendent to monitor and report to the Board about pupil placement into and out of SLHS during each of the next five years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: sssl ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:13AM

So Sad South Lakes.....CAPs party favors = pupil placement forms. bring your pens. the real reason the party is in Reston, is so folks can drop their pp-forms off at SL on their way home.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: TMo is a Ho ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:14AM

Don't believe everything you read here. Do your own research and don't rely on others for your info. You'll get burned every time if you do. That was the problem of so many in this process. They relied on CAPS and others to tell them what to say, and they were given a bum steer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: SLVerity ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:17AM

Thanks, Old Timer. As the poster above just said, don't rely on others for your info.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: done deal from the beginning ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:17AM

Well, the sb tried to tell us from the beginning that this was not a done deal yet here we stand right now with the exact first proposal that slimy Stu and the SL PTA presented. How can the SB sleep at night knowing what liars they are?

Baffled Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well well well looks like the main motion is being
> carried on with staff's original option..now the
> real question is will this redistricting actually
> work for South Lakes? The sb didn't really say
> much about one of the main issues ..the ap vs ib
> programs..my prediction is the aftermath of the
> redistricting. Its gonna flop. Oh boy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: noAPe ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:18AM

Old Timer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is the actual text of the motion by Phil N.
> E. after the boundary vote. It was passed
> unanimously but is not "locking" in IB for 5 years
> regardless of what TM says.
>
>
> Direct the Superintendent—in conjunction with
> implementing the South Lakes High School's (SLHS)
> and related boundary adjustment— to report to the
> School Board at the October 2008 work session on
> efforts to further strengthen SLHS’s advanced
> academic opportunities for its students through
> its International Baccalaureate (IB) program and
> through individual IB and Advanced Placement (AP)
> courses. In addition to reporting on these
> efforts, the SLHS Advanced Course Report shall
> also provide:
>
> 1. the communications strategy used by SLHS and
> Langston Hughes Middle School (LHMS) to introduce
> IB to Western Fairfax middle school and high
> school families who may wish to pupil place their
> child into the IB Middle Years Programme, or the
> IB high school program;
> 2. the process by which SLHS will help facilitate
> opportunities for students taking IB courses to
> secure AP credit by preparing for, and taking, the
> AP examination for similar course content areas;
> 3. a time frame for engaging the SLHS/LHMS
> community in a discussion about advanced
> curricular opportunities offered, and to be
> offered, at SLHS and LHMS as the schools reach
> their maximum estimated enrollment.
>
> Further direct the Superintendent to monitor and
> report to the Board about pupil placement into and
> out of SLHS during each of the next five years.


It is clear the AP will not be at SL any time soon or ever. Call the above what you want, but we are not deceived.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:21AM

What bum steer was that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: kathy smith despiser ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:22AM

She will need lots of therapy to assist her in her flagrant absence of a Conscious. She sold out the Navy Community under a bus all for what?

NavyDoesNotGet Out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NavyGetsOut,
>
> Well, what happen? You all forfeiting your
> agreement to pay for Kathy's post-vote shrink
> visit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Taormina ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:23AM

SLVerity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tina Hone is a self-serving, self-centered
> politician. This is all about her and her
> grandstanding. She could give a rats ass about
> MI, except for maybe any money they threw her way.


Was I the only person watching who nearly swallowed their fork when she said that she was African-American? I find it really hard to believe that she suffered as a result of racist behavior. My guess is that she benefited from being able to claim minority status growing up and through college. Reminds me of a neighbor with Irish heritage whose children got a full ride to an expensive private college as a result of being 1/16 Native American.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:26AM

Old Timer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is the actual text of the motion by Phil N.
> E. after the boundary vote. It was passed
> unanimously but is not "locking" in IB for 5 years
> regardless of what TM says.
>
> Direct the Superintendent—in conjunction with
> implementing the South Lakes High School's (SLHS)
> and related boundary adjustment— to report to the
> School Board at the October 2008 work session on
> efforts to further strengthen SLHS’s advanced
> academic opportunities for its students through
> its International Baccalaureate (IB) program and
> through individual IB and Advanced Placement (AP)
> courses. In addition to reporting on these
> efforts, the SLHS Advanced Course Report shall
> also provide:
>
> 1. the communications strategy used by SLHS and
> Langston Hughes Middle School (LHMS) to introduce
> IB to Western Fairfax middle school and high
> school families who may wish to pupil place their
> child into the IB Middle Years Programme, or the
> IB high school program;
> 2. the process by which SLHS will help facilitate
> opportunities for students taking IB courses to
> secure AP credit by preparing for, and taking, the
> AP examination for similar course content areas;
> 3. a time frame for engaging the SLHS/LHMS
> community in a discussion about advanced
> curricular opportunities offered, and to be
> offered, at SLHS and LHMS as the schools reach
> their maximum estimated enrollment.
>
> Further direct the Superintendent to monitor and
> report to the Board about pupil placement into and
> out of SLHS during each of the next five years.

If the SB were going to have a discussion any time soon which was open to switching SL to a full AP anytime in the next 5 years, why the need for the annual report on out placement for 5 years.

If the SB were going to have a discussion any time soon which was open to switching SL to a full AP program, why the need for strategy to introduce IB to the western County (i. e., IB propaganda sales job)

If the SB were going to have a discussion any time soon which was open to switching SL to a full AP program, why set a discussion for the Fall of 2008 to set a later discussion at some indefinite time in the future for a discussion in the SL community about AP/IB after "the time SL reach their MAXIMUM ESTIMATED ENROLLMENT (which because of grandfathering won't happen for 4 years).

It's all so clear now. Not.

It's all there in "whole language" English but Phil can explain this convoluted nonsense for himself.

I stand by my statement IB is locked into SL for at least another 5 years.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2008 12:35AM by Thomas More.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: DoNotLikeGreenEggs ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:26AM

Honestly, I wish they could have at least donned their stupid little "Cat In the Hat" hats while they were taking the vote. That would have been the icing on the cake for this farse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: word ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:27AM

according to my CAPS sources an injunction is being field on Monday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: MeThinksItStinks ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:45AM

Thomas More Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Old Timer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Here is the actual text of the motion by Phil
> N.
> > E. after the boundary vote. It was passed
> > unanimously but is not "locking" in IB for 5
> years
> > regardless of what TM says.
> >
> > Direct the Superintendent—in conjunction with
> > implementing the South Lakes High School's
> (SLHS)
> > and related boundary adjustment— to report to
> the
> > School Board at the October 2008 work session
> on
> > efforts to further strengthen SLHS’s advanced
> > academic opportunities for its students through
> > its International Baccalaureate (IB) program
> and
> > through individual IB and Advanced Placement
> (AP)
> > courses. In addition to reporting on these
> > efforts, the SLHS Advanced Course Report shall
> > also provide:
> >
> > 1. the communications strategy used by SLHS and
> > Langston Hughes Middle School (LHMS) to
> introduce
> > IB to Western Fairfax middle school and high
> > school families who may wish to pupil place
> their
> > child into the IB Middle Years Programme, or
> the
> > IB high school program;
> > 2. the process by which SLHS will help
> facilitate
> > opportunities for students taking IB courses to
> > secure AP credit by preparing for, and taking,
> the
> > AP examination for similar course content areas;
>
> > 3. a time frame for engaging the SLHS/LHMS
> > community in a discussion about advanced
> > curricular opportunities offered, and to be
> > offered, at SLHS and LHMS as the schools reach
> > their maximum estimated enrollment.
> >
> > Further direct the Superintendent to monitor
> and
> > report to the Board about pupil placement into
> and
> > out of SLHS during each of the next five years.
>
> If the SB were going to have a discussion any time
> soon which was open to switching SL to a full AP
> anytime in the next 5 years, why the need for the
> annual report on out placement for 5 years.
>
> If the SB were going to have a discussion any time
> soon which was open to switching SL to a full AP
> program, why the need for strategy to introduce IB
> to the western County (i. e., IB propaganda sales
> job)
>
> If the SB were going to have a discussion any time
> soon which was open to switching SL to a full AP
> program, why set a discussion for the Fall of 2008
> to set a later discussion at some indefinite time
> in the future for a discussion in the SL community
> about AP/IB after "the time SL reach their MAXIMUM
> ESTIMATED ENROLLMENT (which because of
> grandfathering won't happen for 4 years).

It will be far more than 4 years for maximum estimated enrollment. Neen is correct, it just isn't going to happen like the SB and SLPTSA coffee club think.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: PreviousFirst...117118119120121122123124125126127...LastNext
Current Page: 122 of 189


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **     **  **     **        **   ******   **    ** 
 **     **  ***   ***        **  **    **   **  **  
 **     **  **** ****        **  **          ****   
 **     **  ** *** **        **  **           **    
 **     **  **     **  **    **  **           **    
 **     **  **     **  **    **  **    **     **    
  *******   **     **   ******    ******      **    
This forum powered by Phorum.