HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...147148149150151152153154155156157...LastNext
Current Page: 152 of 189
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: May 20, 2008 01:06AM

Neenologist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I am telling you what people who live in Fox
> Mill
> > have told me. LOTS of homes went up for sale
> > after the redistricting was complete.
> >
> > Of course I am sympathetic to people who have
> to
> > move so that they can send their children to
> the
> > school that the chose for them when they bought
> > their house. Isn't everyone? Other than you?
>
> If you are sympathetic, why do you keep suggesting
> in your posts that certain schools (South Lakes,
> Marshall, and God knows what you want to do with
> Falls Church) should be closed. If any of them
> were closed, the redistricting would make this
> year's changes look like a warm-up scrimmage.

We have over 4,000 empty seats in our high schools, what do you think should be done?

If South Lakes was closed, and students sent to Oakton, Madison, and Langley, do you really think that outcry would have been as great as it was during this redistricting?

If Marshall was closed, would people object to being sent to Madison, McLean, and Langley? If Marshall was closed, how many millions would FCPS make on THAT piece of property?

In 1995 students were redistricted from Herndon to Langley. Can anyone recall objections? People don't usually object to being sent to better schools.

Yes, I feel sorry for people who chose a home based on a school only to have their choice negated by the school board.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yeah but... ()
Date: May 20, 2008 08:43AM

Neen Wrote:
>
> We have over 4,000 empty seats in our high
> schools, what do you think should be done?
>
> If South Lakes was closed, and students sent to
> Oakton, Madison, and Langley, do you really think
> that outcry would have been as great as it was
> during this redistricting?
>
> If Marshall was closed, would people object to
> being sent to Madison, McLean, and Langley? If
> Marshall was closed, how many millions would FCPS
> make on THAT piece of property?
>
> In 1995 students were redistricted from Herndon to
> Langley. Can anyone recall objections? People
> don't usually object to being sent to better
> schools.
>
> Yes, I feel sorry for people who chose a home
> based on a school only to have their choice
> negated by the school board.

If SL, Marshall, FC, etc were closed down then parents probably wouldn't mind sending their kids to Oakton, Madison, Langley, etc. Do you really think parents with kids currently in those "better schools" would have no objection to welcoming kids from the closed schools? In the case of Madison, where would you put them, it's over capacity as it is?

Posted by: Congrats SB ()
Date: May 20, 2008 09:31AM

NOTICE

The boundary Fu, I mean Thank You part will be held at SL tonight. Punch provided by Jerry Jones. Ex Lax brownies provided by SLPTSA.

Posted by: Neen is Bringing.... ()
Date: May 20, 2008 09:47AM

...a side dish of crow, and eating it, too!

Did you notice how Madison is losing some of its luster - it has dropped below several other schools in the Newsweak ranking.

Posted by: it is so obvious ()
Date: May 20, 2008 10:10AM

To the moron giving the SB credit for the high rankings of SOME of our schools-you need a reality check.

How ironic that the SB is more than willing to take credit for the accomplishments but when it comes to the failures and the underperforming schools and students =they point the finger at the parents.

Which is SB Lovers??? Which scenario do the parents get the credit or the blame??

The stupidity of some astounds me.

Someone please tell me an area in FCPS that has shown an improvement in the last 5 years? Point to a statistic where FCPS is higher ranked than they were relative to other schools in the last 5 years. Open your eyes, we are slipping in ranks-not gaining. We are being passed by school districts who spend a fraction of what we spend.

If I am a high school track coach and I am given the 3 fastest runners in the state-what can I possibly take credit for?

I am yet to see a SLHS supporter respond to the questions of drop outs and IB?SAT participation. Kinda weird, huh?

Posted by: sherman's march ()
Date: May 20, 2008 10:21AM

Congrats SB Wrote:
> NOTICE
>
> The boundary Fu, I mean Thank You part will be
> held at SL tonight. Punch provided by Jerry
> Jones. Ex Lax brownies provided by SLPTSA.

Ohhhh. That's a good one, Mr.Veedle. But then you obviously have first-hand knowledge of being full of sh*&.

Posted by: Boundary warrior ()
Date: May 20, 2008 10:23AM

sherman's march Wrote:
> Congrats SB Wrote:
> -----
> > NOTICE
> >
> > The boundary Fu, I mean Thank You part will be
> > held at SL tonight. Punch provided by Jerry
> > Jones. Ex Lax brownies provided by SLPTSA.
>
>
> Ohhhh. That's a good one, Mr.Veedle. But then you
> obviously have first-hand knowledge of being full
> of sh*&.

And drinking that AP/Anti-RD, whining, kicking and screaming Kool-Aid.

Calling all daycare centers! Take away the crayons.

Posted by: Having Fun With Numbers ()
Date: May 20, 2008 10:32AM

55 Langley
73 Woodson
93 Lake Braddock
97 McLean
103 Oakton
104 Centreville
122 Chantilly
139 South County Secondary
141 Herndon
144 Westfield
148 James Madison

Want to REALLY get people peeved and insulted? Let's really dig into this! Why is Westfield, being so huge (but nobody cares), so far down on the list? With so many genius students there, why aren't they loading up on APs and slamming the other schools with its brilliance? And Herndon -- that Title-I filled school, beat it! Ha ha! Herndon wins! It beat Westfield and Madison! I'll bet Floris is truly sorry it didn't fight to get redistricted North, now! Ha!

Oh, and it is telling that a limited and highly flawed ranking is generating so much hand-wringing about genetics and blame and credit and failure. Very productive.

Posted by: Neenologist ()
Date: May 20, 2008 10:34AM

Neen Wrote:
> Neenologist Wrote:
> -----
> > If you are sympathetic, why do you keep
> suggesting
> > in your posts that certain schools (South
> Lakes,
> > Marshall, and God knows what you want to do
> with
> > Falls Church) should be closed. If any of them
> > were closed, the redistricting would make this
> > year's changes look like a warm-up scrimmage.
>
> We have over 4,000 empty seats in our high
> schools, what do you think should be done?
>
> If South Lakes was closed, and students sent to
> Oakton, Madison, and Langley, do you really think
> that outcry would have been as great as it was
> during this redistricting?
>
> If Marshall was closed, would people object to
> being sent to Madison, McLean, and Langley? If
> Marshall was closed, how many millions would FCPS
> make on THAT piece of property?
>
> In 1995 students were redistricted from Herndon to
> Langley. Can anyone recall objections? People
> don't usually object to being sent to better
> schools.
>
> Yes, I feel sorry for people who chose a home
> based on a school only to have their choice
> negated by the school board.

If your primary concern is excess capacity you should have objected a bit more to the Langley addition. You might also address whether the county should be plowing forward with more schools in the SE part of the county where many of the extra seats are.

Your response as to the impact of closing SL or Marshall (FC you overlooked) is far too easy, and you know it. If South Lakes closes, Langley might take a few, Herndon can take a good chunk, and Madison Island maybe can go to Marshall. But some students probably would have to go to Oakton and Madison, which in turn forces some Oakton kids to Westfield or Chantilly and some Madison kids to Marshall. If those parents think like you, they won't be happy with that result. We'll have a fresh round of comparisons between Oakton and Chantilly SAT scores and Newsweek rankings, not to mention a scintillating discussion of AP (Madison) vs. IB (Marshall). And, there might be some Reston parents who feel as strongly about South Lakes' importance as a community anchor in Reston as you do about Madison, and would hate to have to send their kids elsewhere. Maybe we should just fast-forward to page 600 of this thread now and see how well your plan is received.

On the other hand, if Marshall closes, McLean or Langley theoretically could pick up a few students (raises some thorny pyramid issues), but the bulk would go to Madison and Falls Church, which in turn sends more Madison kids to South Lakes (hmm, how would that be received), and will make the Marshall parents whose kids are sent to Falls Church no happier than Westfield and Oakton parents whose kids have just been sent to South Lakes. Moreover, RD'ing the higher-income Marshall neighborhoods that are close to Madison to Madison will make Madison even more less diverse than it is now, while redistricting the more economically diverse Marshall neighborhoods closer to Falls Church could drive up the percentage of ESOL/free-lunch students at a school that is already high in these categories. Best idea since McNair to South Lakes!

Hey, maybe the better solution would just be to close Madison, and send its students to South Lakes, Marshall and Falls Church. Madison currently shares a border with each, and all those schools are projected to have extra seats in five years - particularly South Lakes and Falls Church. If Madison was closed, how many millions would FCPS make on THAT piece of property?

In fact, I don't want Madison closed any more than you do. It would be great, though, if you could stop insulting other schools and tossing out what you claim would be easy solutions to difficult challenges that would prove every bit as disruptive as the recent RD.

Posted by: Marshall Plan ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:34AM

> On the other hand, if Marshall closes, McLean or
> Langley theoretically could pick up a few students
> (raises some thorny pyramid issues), but the bulk
> would go to Madison and Falls Church, which in
> turn sends more Madison kids to South Lakes (hmm,
> how would that be received), and will make the
> Marshall parents whose kids are sent to Falls
> Church no happier than Westfield and Oakton
> parents whose kids have just been sent to South
> Lakes. Moreover, RD'ing the higher-income
> Marshall neighborhoods that are close to Madison
> to Madison will make Madison even more less
> diverse than it is now, while redistricting the
> more economically diverse Marshall neighborhoods
> closer to Falls Church could drive up the
> percentage of ESOL/free-lunch students at a school
> that is already high in these categories. Best
> idea since McNair to South Lakes!
>
Madison does not want a boundary shift. Why not just close Marshall and send the students to South Lakes and Falls Church?

Neen - would this work and keep Madison safe?

Posted by: Redeem Yourself ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:43AM

Why TJ Takes a Pass on Top Achievers List
By Jay Mathews
Thursday, March 10, 2005; Page VA06

Dear Extra Credit:

At the end of each school quarter, The Washington Post publishes a list of high school top achievers. This is usually a list of the students on the "All A Honor Roll." It is wonderful that we recognize the hard work of these students. On the March 3 list were students from most Fairfax county public and private high schools. One exception was Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in the Alexandria area.

Why are the "top achievers" at TJ omitted?

I have been asking this question of school administrators for years and have never received a satisfactory explanation. The academic achievements of TJ students are no less important, and no less worthy of recognition, than those of any other hardworking student in Fairfax County.

Jeanine Martin

Vienna

Parent of Thomas Jefferson
and Madison high school graduates

I thought I knew nearly everything about Thomas Jefferson's unique culture. Here is something I need to add to the list: The school's policy is that they don't want the credit in the paper.

Fairfax County schools spokesman Paul Regnier said the Jefferson school administration has declined to send in a list of top scholars for The Post list. Principal Elizabeth Lodal told me that the issue has not come up in her five years there, but she would be happy to hear from students, parents and teachers on whether the school should submit names.

"I know that the school has, from its beginning, a history of not trumpeting our students' many accomplishments since it assumes that they will be successful in this unique place," Lodal said. "It also acknowledges that, while achieving good grades is an important goal for each student, an all-A report card is not a school goal. We frequently remind our students and parents that TJ is a very difficult school, and that a B or B+ is a very respectable grade in our demanding courses. We know that our students feel a lot of stress. So we constantly look for ways to lesson the pressure on students where we can without lowering our standards."

The list may not be relevant in a school where you aren't admitted in the first place unless you are an A student. I welcome comment from anyone inside or outside the Jefferson community.

- Jay Matthews
____

Some people really, really, really, really, really care about rankings, don't they?

Posted by: Floris Mom ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:44AM

to Having Fun With Numbers:

Jay Mathews scoring was based on the number of kids taking AP classes compared with the TOTAL population of the school. Westfield has a very large and very diverse population, including (yes) a large segment of kids from a lower socio-economic standing. Many many kids at Westfield choose NOT to take AP, nor Honors for that matter. Westfield also has one of the largest Special Education programs at the high school level AND a very large ESOL Program. All the groups, who do not participate in AP, were factored into Westfield's standing. However, this does not negate the fact that those students who DO choose an AP curriculum do exceedingly well. And yes Floris kids tend to take AP classes. This is why Floris is particularly upset with the RD. Since the Floris kids are good students we were hand selected by SL and Stu to come in and raise SL's scores. Since there wasn't room for ALL the Floris kids, our community was screwed AGAIN. And yes we would have been much happier to have been redistricted to Herndon, where they have a comparable AP curriculum.

Posted by: your point? ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:49AM

it is so obvious Wrote:

>
> If I am a high school track coach and I am given
> the 3 fastest runners in the state-what can I
> possibly take credit for?
>
> I am yet to see a SLHS supporter respond to the
> questions of drop outs and IB?SAT participation.
> Kinda weird, huh?

And if you are a high school academic teacher and are given the best students (Langley and McLean etc due to socioeconomic factors that equate into typically higher performing students) - what can you possibly take credit for? You seem to be bashing SLHS for not providing those stats, when you so clearly know those stats in your atheletic example depend on what "you get"

Posted by: Jeanine Does, for Sure ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:49AM

Methinks she didn't get enough recognition as a young lass, so she has to live through the accomplishments of her kids and her neighborhood to feel good about herself. She is nothing without those rankings. Too bad Madison is tanking in the SAT and Newsweak department.

Posted by: You Get What You Get ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:52AM

You make South Lakes' point for them. If you are making excuses for Westfield then you should also acknowledge that SL has a far larger share of socioeconomically disadvantaged and ESOL kids.

Floris Mom Wrote:
> to Having Fun With Numbers:
>
> Jay Mathews scoring was based on the number of
> kids taking AP classes compared with the TOTAL
> population of the school. Westfield has a very
> large and very diverse population, including (yes)
> a large segment of kids from a lower
> socio-economic standing. Many many kids at
> Westfield choose NOT to take AP, nor Honors for
> that matter. Westfield also has one of the largest
> Special Education programs at the high school
> level AND a very large ESOL Program. All the
> groups, who do not participate in AP, were
> factored into Westfield's standing. However, this
> does not negate the fact that those students who
> DO choose an AP curriculum do exceedingly well.
> And yes Floris kids tend to take AP classes. This
> is why Floris is particularly upset with the RD.
> Since the Floris kids are good students we were
> hand selected by SL and Stu to come in and raise
> SL's scores. Since there wasn't room for ALL the
> Floris kids, our community was screwed AGAIN. And
> yes we would have been much happier to have been
> redistricted to Herndon, where they have a
> comparable AP curriculum.

Posted by: keep in mind ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:56AM

Floris Mom Wrote:
>

That this same principal applies to IB schools, and since as many have pointed out, only a few take advantage of IB, their numbers are in a sense even more skewed. Typically (at least at Stuart) it is only the senior IB students taking the IB exams as they tend to say even those in SL courses in their junior year should wait till senior year to take all 6 of their IB exams..so you have a smaller portion of students being represented in the testing grouping than you typically do in AP schools (where you have in addition to seniors, juniors, sophomores and in some cases freshman taking AP exams)..and as has been pointed out, most of the IB schools (excluding Robinson) have high ESOL numbers etc. like apparently Westfield does.

Date: May 20, 2008 12:09PM

I was just responding to Have Fun With Numbers, who was gloating that Westfield's scores weren't higher. I'll bet if you divided the number of AP classes Floris kids take by the total number of Floris kids at Westfields the scores would be VERY HIGH. I am very proud to brag about the kids from Floris. They are very good students with very involved parents. The issue is that the AP opportunities, which many Floris kids want and which I personally like, have been taken from us, AND our community was split in half. We got the double screw from the SB. AND our kids were hand selected to improve a school with a curriculum we don't care for. Do we need any other reason to be upset?

Posted by: more data ()
Date: May 20, 2008 12:48PM

Neen Wrote:
> Congrats SB Wrote:
> -----
> > The only way to even out this disparity is to
> > redistrict, which the board is doing.
> >
> > In top 2 percent with schools is amazing for
> one
> > schools system!! WOWEE!
> >
> > We should throw a party for our school board,
> > administrators, and teachers.
> >
> > I haven't done the math, but certainly this
> shows
> > that our school board is one of the best in the
> > US! That can't be argued or debated with the
> > Newsweek rankings.
>
> Hahahahaha...........
>
> PSSSSTTTT........don't tell, but it's the parents,
> not the schools. Parents at the best schools send
> their kids to school with the brains (genetics,
> you know) and educate them at home after school,
> with tutors, Kumon Math, science competitions,
> summers at Johns Hopkins CTY, math camps, etc.
>
> It's hilarious to see FCPS try to take credit for
> this. It's funny until you look at the scores of
> the poorest students in our county. FCPS doesn't
> educate those who need it the most. FCPS only
> looks good because of the parents in the county,
> parents with enough brains and money to educate
> their children despite what happens in school.
> Smart parents produce smart kids. It's not in the
> schools, it's in the genes, and money.

Of course, it's about the parents and what happens at home. Achieving, educated parents frequently have achieving educated children. But, that's too easy: many great people in American history (Abe Lincoln for one) were self-educated and achieving. Poverty shouldn't be a forever anchor. But that's where the schools should try to shine. How many children living in poverty (and w/o dads) are succeeeding? I don't think FCPS can pat itself on the pat when referring to it's neediest students

Did you see articles in Newsweek and the Post this week? Newsweek's the Trouble with Boys is all about the growing achievement gap between girls and boys (and girls winning by a widening margin). But today's Post's article says that it's not about "boys falling behind" it's about children living in poverty falling behind--and it's backed by 40 years of data.

Crisis For Boys In Schools, Study Says
Academic Success Linked to Income
By Valerie Strauss
Washington Post Staff Writer

Date: May 20, 2008 01:01PM

The charges by Stu Gibson and the SLers that the anti-RDers are elitist should definitely be addressed in this post. As I stated before WHS is VERY diverse. There is a HUGE ESOL segment and a HUGE segment from lower socio-economics. So Westfield is really a very well balanced school. And on a large scale, which it was built for. It is preparing our kids to live life as it exists among people from many backgrounds. WE ARE NOT ELITISTS; if we were we would not be sending our kids to Westfield. And anyone who charges residents of Floris as being elitists is WAY OFF BASE. Our population is wonderfully diverse. This is why Stu Gibson's "plow" speech at the hearings still rings in my ears. If you really think that redistricting is the only way to balance out schools' diversity then Langley should most definitely been included in this RD study. Why in the world disrupt Floris AGAIN and yank half of our kids to so-call balance out SL? Floris is balanced already; WHS is balanced already. If SL needs a little balancing out, over-crowded Langely would have been a perfect solution.

Posted by: WWMRD? ()
Date: May 20, 2008 01:07PM

I wonder what DC School Chancellor Rhee would do? I like her slash and burn mentality as opposed to our SB's skirting the real issues.

Posted by: floris_victims ()
Date: May 20, 2008 01:11PM

Floris Mom Wrote:
>

Very well said!!

Basically we got screwed because a few folks from Fox mill wanted to go to South Lakes for whatever reason and tagged in Floris with them.

We are also mad the way the RD was handled, I have yet to meet a parent whose concerns were addressed by Stu. Countless emails went unanswered.

Like someone said, all this will result in is quick AGING of affected Floris areas. People will move eventually where they can get the schools and curiculum they want. Education is too important to be taken lightly for us.

Posted by: sherman's march ()
Date: May 20, 2008 01:39PM

Floris Mom Wrote:
> The charges by Stu Gibson and the SLers that the
> anti-RDers are elitist should definitely be
> addressed in this post. As I stated before WHS is
> VERY diverse. There is a HUGE ESOL segment and a
> HUGE segment from lower socio-economics. So
> Westfield is really a very well balanced school.
> And on a large scale, which it was built for. It
> is preparing our kids to live life as it exists
> among people from many backgrounds. WE ARE NOT
> ELITISTS; if we were we would not be sending our
> kids to Westfield. And anyone who charges
> residents of Floris as being elitists is WAY OFF
> BASE. Our population is wonderfully diverse.
> This is why Stu Gibson's "plow" speech at the
> hearings still rings in my ears. If you really
> think that redistricting is the only way to
> balance out schools' diversity then Langley should
> most definitely been included in this RD study.
> Why in the world disrupt Floris AGAIN and yank
> half of our kids to so-call balance out SL?
> Floris is balanced already; WHS is balanced
> already. If SL needs a little balancing out,
> over-crowded Langely would have been a perfect
> solution.

I concur that Westfield is a HUGE school, comparatively. Most definitely.

Date: May 20, 2008 02:05PM

Westfield High School, approved and built by our favorite SB for 3200 students. Currently at 3171, UNDERCAPACITY.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: May 20, 2008 02:08PM

Floris Mom Wrote:
> Jay Mathews scoring was based on the number of kids taking AP classes compared with the TOTAL population of the school. < <

You all are taking this hack Mathews way too seriously.

He knows his rankings are biased against IB schools yet his insists on publishing them any way, even though he is a IB propagandist. (Has anyone check to see if he's on its payroll.)

He admits that colleges don't give IB the same credit as AP yet his solution is to campaign to get 3,400 college admissions directors to change their ways instead of getting the few hundred American IB high schools to return to AP.

He's been told innumerable times by college applicants and their parents that FCPS grading scale hurts FFX kids in college admissions process yet repeats Tessie Wilson's dismissal of the issue like he's drinking Jonestown Kool Aid.

His book says that the Ivies are overrated and not a good value for the money but doesn't tell you that his child went to Cal Berkeley - one of the "Public Ivies."

He long ago lost all credibility with me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2008 02:13PM by Thomas More.

Posted by: Rhee has her priorities straight ()
Date: May 20, 2008 02:23PM

I think what is most attractive about Rhee is that her loyalty is to the kids and parents. She knows they have been f**ked by the "school system" and is going to do all in her power to make things better. And she doesn't make excuses. God, I am sick of all the excuses from schools.

She closes school, fires principals, fires teachers. I am sure she has made enemies along the way-but she is doing the dirty work that those before her didn't have the balls to do.

We could use a few like her in our school district.

Date: May 20, 2008 02:24PM

To Thomas More:

I couldn't agree more. I don't think Jay Mathews rankings mean too much. There are too many variables. We shouldn't waste our energies debating them. As far as Floris is concerned the main points are: we should have been left alone, united with the rest of our community, at WHS, a well-balanced school with the AP curriculum which we want, currently undercapacity, which was promised as our "future" by the School Board seven years ago when we were yanked out of Oakton in the last redistricting.

Posted by: 6th grader ()
Date: May 20, 2008 02:44PM

Floris's drug problem is growing

Posted by: this is too low ()
Date: May 20, 2008 03:43PM

Standard pro-RD defense? Next you may say MS-13 is recruiting kindergarteners in Floris?

Date: May 20, 2008 04:14PM

this is too low Wrote:
> Standard pro-RD defense? Next you may say MS-13 is
> recruiting kindergarteners in Floris?

No. We are learning from the masters of disinformation (the Anti-RDers) who have used such tactics. But we have standards and will not sink to those depths.

Thank you.

Date: May 20, 2008 05:36PM

You are acting like children, or are you?????? We should not trivialize the issues at hand. They are huge and significant. Forced busing; School Board deceit and underhandedness; split communities; Stu Gibson's lack of respect and disparaging comments; using Floris AGAIN and AGAIN to open or improve a school; Jack Dale not saying one word at the hearings; the charade of the hearings; the predetermined outcome of the RD. It's disgusting! I for one had Cristine Arakalian's sign in my front lawn during the last election. It is our responsibility to elect representatives who will act fairly and ethically. FairfaxCAPs is absolutely correct. . . this School Board is out of control. I have absolutely no respect for them. We have let them manipulate us for too long. Please donate to FairfaxCAPs.

Posted by: Not Kevin James ()
Date: May 20, 2008 08:55PM

Floris Mom Wrote:
> You are acting like children, or are you?????? We
> should not trivialize the issues at hand. They
> are huge and significant. Forced busing; School
> Board deceit and underhandedness; split
> communities; Stu Gibson's lack of respect and
> disparaging comments; using Floris AGAIN and AGAIN
> to open or improve a school; Jack Dale not saying
> one word at the hearings; the charade of the
> hearings; the predetermined outcome of the RD.
> It's disgusting! I for one had Cristine
> Arakalian's sign in my front lawn during the last
> election. It is our responsibility to elect
> representatives who will act fairly and ethically.
> FairfaxCAPs is absolutely correct. . . this
> School Board is out of control. I have absolutely
> no respect for them. We have let them manipulate
> us for too long. Please donate to FairfaxCAPs.

They are and have been huge and significant issues, and the fact that your side has lost at every turn and in every event of a representative democracy seems not to have dissuaded you and your side from thinking that if you say things loud enough and often enough, that will make you right and just. You had your opportunities to make your case and you did not persuade (a) enough voters to elect representatives who share your view, (b) enough school board members to share your view, or (c) soon to see, a court of law to see the merits of why the elected representatives of the people should not have their decisions respected.

Posted by: word ()
Date: May 20, 2008 09:01PM

The reason these folks could not elect the opponents of Stu, Kathy and others is that only a few were targeted - we knew who was going all along, just needed to fill in the justification. If this had been county wide - there would have been a wholesale turnover.

In the end, people will vote with their feet - either running to pupil place, private school, or moving. Those with younger kids are in the best shape, they can wait for the market to rebound.

Posted by: gibson conspires against the few ()
Date: May 20, 2008 09:23PM

That was by Stu Gibson design. He knew to divide the community, pit neighbour against neighbour. He timed it perfectly - just after elections. All the people he screwed, will move out by next election time and the new families will vote him in again. And then he will screw those new families again. Only way out is to throw the bum out by the recall petition.

word Wrote:
> The reason these folks could not elect the
> opponents of Stu, Kathy and others is that only a
> few were targeted - we knew who was going all
> along, just needed to fill in the justification.
> If this had been county wide - there would have
> been a wholesale turnover.
>
> In the end, people will vote with their feet -
> either running to pupil place, private school, or
> moving. Those with younger kids are in the best
> shape, they can wait for the market to rebound.

Posted by: say what ()
Date: May 20, 2008 10:56PM

word Wrote:
> The reason these folks could not elect the
> opponents of Stu, Kathy and others is that only a
> few were targeted - we knew who was going all
> along, just needed to fill in the justification.
> If this had been county wide - there would have
> been a wholesale turnover.
>
> In the end, people will vote with their feet -
> either running to pupil place, private school, or
> moving. Those with younger kids are in the best
> shape, they can wait for the market to rebound.

"...wait for the market to rebound".

What are you smoking? Crack? LOLOL

You'll never see the housing prices of '05-'06 boom again. They are going to drop to early '90s levels. The shenanigans that enabled those prices have brought our financial system to the brink of collapse. Bear Stearns was just the first to go.

And without liar loans, people can't pay a million bucks for a crappy McMansion on an eighth acre.

Posted by: cuts deep ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:29PM

That is why this RD is so much more worse. For all these families to move out of Fox Mill and Floris areas to migrate to other areas, they have to sell at a loss. Some that have bought in peak of 2004-06 are sitting on hundreds of thousands of loss. With South Lakes as the high school there will be few buyers - only families with no kids will buy. This whole thing sucks. I have never met these school board members like Stu Gibson, but it is amazing how insensitive they can be.

>
> "...wait for the market to rebound".
>
> What are you smoking? Crack? LOLOL
>
> You'll never see the housing prices of '05-'06
> boom again. They are going to drop to early '90s
> levels. The shenanigans that enabled those prices
> have brought our financial system to the brink of
> collapse. Bear Stearns was just the first to go.
>
> And without liar loans, people can't pay a million
> bucks for a crappy McMansion on an eighth acre.

Posted by: all this for what? ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:38PM

There have been less than 200 students in the last 7 years who got an IB diploma from South Lakes. No one else benefits other than this small group. All this crap for the benefit of so few...

cuts deep Wrote:
> That is why this RD is so much more worse. For all
> these families to move out of Fox Mill and Floris
> areas to migrate to other areas, they have to sell
> at a loss. Some that have bought in peak of
> 2004-06 are sitting on hundreds of thousands of
> loss. With South Lakes as the high school there
> will be few buyers - only families with no kids
> will buy. This whole thing sucks. I have never met
> these school board members like Stu Gibson, but it
> is amazing how insensitive they can be.
>
> >
> > "...wait for the market to rebound".
> >
> > What are you smoking? Crack? LOLOL
> >
> > You'll never see the housing prices of '05-'06
> > boom again. They are going to drop to early
> '90s
> > levels. The shenanigans that enabled those
> prices
> > have brought our financial system to the brink
> of
> > collapse. Bear Stearns was just the first to
> go.
> >
> > And without liar loans, people can't pay a
> million
> > bucks for a crappy McMansion on an eighth acre.

Posted by: get real ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:41PM

Stu Gibson's own children are/were in IB diploma at South Lakes. So he will try to do the best for them..

all this for what? Wrote:
> There have been less than 200 students in the last
> 7 years who got an IB diploma from South Lakes. No
> one else benefits other than this small group. All
> this crap for the benefit of so few...
>
> cuts deep Wrote:
> -----
> > That is why this RD is so much more worse. For
> all
> > these families to move out of Fox Mill and
> Floris
> > areas to migrate to other areas, they have to
> sell
> > at a loss. Some that have bought in peak of
> > 2004-06 are sitting on hundreds of thousands of
> > loss. With South Lakes as the high school there
> > will be few buyers - only families with no kids
> > will buy. This whole thing sucks. I have never
> met
> > these school board members like Stu Gibson, but
> it
> > is amazing how insensitive they can be.
> >
> > >
> > > "...wait for the market to rebound".
> > >
> > > What are you smoking? Crack? LOLOL
> > >
> > > You'll never see the housing prices of
> '05-'06
> > > boom again. They are going to drop to early
> > '90s
> > > levels. The shenanigans that enabled those
> > prices
> > > have brought our financial system to the
> brink
> > of
> > > collapse. Bear Stearns was just the first to
> > go.
> > >
> > > And without liar loans, people can't pay a
> > million
> > > bucks for a crappy McMansion on an eighth
> acre.

Posted by: You Are So Wrong ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:56PM

Stu hasn't had a child at South Lakes for three years. None of his children did the IB diploma. Don't say things that aren't grounded in fact. It makes you look stupid.

Posted by: You Are So Wrong ()
Date: May 20, 2008 11:57PM

I should have said 4 years.

Posted by: Keep on Moving ()
Date: May 21, 2008 12:33AM

Any word of how the SLPTSA party for the supporters of the redistricting went? I couldn't miss the two DAVES on American Idol.

Posted by: word ()
Date: May 21, 2008 06:55AM

> say what - "crappy McMansion on an eighth acre."

Like the other SL supporters, you have no idea what you're talking about. I wouldn't call any of the RD'd homes McMansions...they are regular middle class neighborhoods. You and your idiot friends like to polarize people along the lines of class and race.

Posted by: Baffled ()
Date: May 21, 2008 07:09AM

You Are So Wrong Wrote:
> Stu hasn't had a child at South Lakes for three
> years. None of his children did the IB diploma.
> Don't say things that aren't grounded in fact. It
> makes you look stupid.

According to a recent newspaper article, Stu mentioned his daughter participated in the IB program and was enriched with it. However, it was not clear to me if his daughter was an IB diploma student, meaning taking two years of the IB program before receiving the diploma.

Posted by: get real ()
Date: May 21, 2008 10:31AM

Well then why is he only focussing on a group of 200 students over 7 years, rather than the good of the whole school. There has to be some bias or motivation for him to push IB diploma over the greater good for all

You Are So Wrong Wrote:
> Stu hasn't had a child at South Lakes for three
> years. None of his children did the IB diploma.
> Don't say things that aren't grounded in fact. It
> makes you look stupid.

Posted by: middle class ()
Date: May 21, 2008 10:50AM

These fox mill houses are 2000 sq ft or less mostly. These are middle class neighbourhoods. The McMansions of North Reston and Langley were protected by Stu Gibson. Gibson is on record saying that North Reston does not want to go to South Lakes and so he is not going to include them. In any case the school board or Gibson will never mess with rich folks. It does not make political sence and Gibson is first of all a politician

word Wrote:
> > say what - "crappy McMansion on an eighth
> acre."
>
> Like the other SL supporters, you have no idea
> what you're talking about. I wouldn't call any of
> the RD'd homes McMansions...they are regular
> middle class neighborhoods. You and your idiot
> friends like to polarize people along the lines of
> class and race.

Posted by: Gibson lies exposed ()
Date: May 21, 2008 10:53AM

"A lot of people choose where to live based on the high schools where they live. It has been suggested before that all of Reston should go to South Lakes. North Point Village doesn't want to go to South Lakes. I love South Lakes. I have a daughter who went there and another that is going to graduate from there, but North Point Village doesn't want to go there," said Stuart Gibson (Hunter Mill). "If someone wants to go out in the community and float the idea of a boundary change, go ahead, but I for one will not be supporting that measure."

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?archive=
true&article=14732&paper=65&cat=106

He is one slimy liar.

middle class Wrote:
> These fox mill houses are 2000 sq ft or less
> mostly. These are middle class neighbourhoods. The
> McMansions of North Reston and Langley were
> protected by Stu Gibson. Gibson is on record
> saying that North Reston does not want to go to
> South Lakes and so he is not going to include
> them. In any case the school board or Gibson will
> never mess with rich folks. It does not make
> political sence and Gibson is first of all a
> politician
>
>
> word Wrote:
> -----
> > > say what - "crappy McMansion on an eighth
> > acre."
> >
> > Like the other SL supporters, you have no idea
> > what you're talking about. I wouldn't call any
> of
> > the RD'd homes McMansions...they are regular
> > middle class neighborhoods. You and your idiot
> > friends like to polarize people along the lines
> of
> > class and race.

Posted by: Not So Obvious ()
Date: May 21, 2008 11:04AM

Gibson lies exposed Wrote:
> "A lot of people choose where to live based on the
> high schools where they live. It has been
> suggested before that all of Reston should go to
> South Lakes. North Point Village doesn't want to
> go to South Lakes. I love South Lakes. I have a
> daughter who went there and another that is going
> to graduate from there, but North Point Village
> doesn't want to go there," said Stuart Gibson
> (Hunter Mill). "If someone wants to go out in the
> community and float the idea of a boundary change,
> go ahead, but I for one will not be supporting
> that measure."
>
> http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?ar
> chive=
> true&article=14732&paper=65&cat=106
>
>
> He is one slimy liar.
>
> middle class Wrote:
> -----
> > These fox mill houses are 2000 sq ft or less
> > mostly. These are middle class neighbourhoods.
> The
> > McMansions of North Reston and Langley were
> > protected by Stu Gibson. Gibson is on record
> > saying that North Reston does not want to go to
> > South Lakes and so he is not going to include
> > them. In any case the school board or Gibson
> will
> > never mess with rich folks. It does not make
> > political sence and Gibson is first of all a
> > politician
> >
> >
> > word Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > > say what - "crappy McMansion on an eighth
> > > acre."
> > >
> > > Like the other SL supporters, you have no
> idea
> > > what you're talking about. I wouldn't call
> any
> > of
> > > the RD'd homes McMansions...they are regular
> > > middle class neighborhoods. You and your
> idiot
> > > friends like to polarize people along the
> lines
> > of
> > > class and race.

Jane Strauss is exactly of the same ilk. If anything, she's worse, because she has a calm manner and is not transparently ridiculous like Gibson. She makes public statements that no one could possibly expect Langley residents ever to be redistricted, and then is part of 10-2 vote to send Westfield/Chantilly/Madison families to South Lakes.

Conclusion: these board members are used to doing back-room deals and talking freely out of both sides of their mouths. Thanks to CAPS and others on this forum for pointing this out, and to Google for making it possible to expose the inconsistencies.

Posted by: Westfield ESOL ()
Date: May 21, 2008 11:16AM

Floris Mom Wrote:
> The charges by Stu Gibson and the SLers that the
> anti-RDers are elitist should definitely be
> addressed in this post. As I stated before WHS is
> VERY diverse. There is a HUGE ESOL segment and a
> HUGE segment from lower socio-economics. So
> Westfield is really a very well balanced school.

Typing in all caps doesn't make something true.

From FCPS.edu

Westfield Limited English 8.70%
Herndon Limited English 14.72%
South Lakes Limited English 16.42%

Westfield FRL 11.47
Herndon FRL 18.16
South Lakes FRL 33.12

Westfield ESOL 3.5%
Herndon ESOL 7.83%
South Lakes ESOL 8.85%

Date: May 21, 2008 11:23AM

middle class Wrote:
> These fox mill houses are 2000 sq ft or less
> mostly. These are middle class neighbourhoods. The
> McMansions of North Reston and Langley were
> protected by Stu Gibson. Gibson is on record
> saying that North Reston does not want to go to
> South Lakes and so he is not going to include
> them. In any case the school board or Gibson will
> never mess with rich folks. It does not make
> political sence and Gibson is first of all a
> politician
>
>
> word Wrote:
> -----
> > > say what - "crappy McMansion on an eighth
> > acre."
> >
> > Like the other SL supporters, you have no idea
> > what you're talking about. I wouldn't call any
> of
> > the RD'd homes McMansions...they are regular
> > middle class neighborhoods. You and your idiot
> > friends like to polarize people along the lines
> of
> > class and race.

I think it was a bit more complicated than that. Madison Island is, in fact, full of higher-income families in big houses on large lots, but Gibson concluded he could mess with them because his political base is in Reston and Strauss would go along so long as Langley was untouched. As soon as anyone from MI objected, Gibson could label them as elitist or worse.

Posted by: Baffled ()
Date: May 21, 2008 11:24AM

Not So Obvious Wrote:
> Gibson lies exposed Wrote:
> -----
> > "A lot of people choose where to live based on
> the
> > high schools where they live. It has been
> > suggested before that all of Reston should go
> to
> > South Lakes. North Point Village doesn't want
> to
> > go to South Lakes. I love South Lakes. I have a
> > daughter who went there and another that is
> going
> > to graduate from there, but North Point Village
> > doesn't want to go there," said Stuart Gibson
> > (Hunter Mill). "If someone wants to go out in
> the
> > community and float the idea of a boundary
> change,
> > go ahead, but I for one will not be supporting
> > that measure."
> >
> >
> http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?ar
>
> > chive=
> > true&article=14732&paper=65&cat=106
> >
> >
> > He is one slimy liar.
> >
> > middle class Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > These fox mill houses are 2000 sq ft or less
> > > mostly. These are middle class
> neighbourhoods.
> > The
> > > McMansions of North Reston and Langley were
> > > protected by Stu Gibson. Gibson is on record
> > > saying that North Reston does not want to go
> to
> > > South Lakes and so he is not going to include
> > > them. In any case the school board or Gibson
> > will
> > > never mess with rich folks. It does not make
> > > political sence and Gibson is first of all a
> > > politician
> > >
> > >
> > > word Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > > say what - "crappy McMansion on an eighth
> > > > acre."
> > > >
> > > > Like the other SL supporters, you have no
> > idea
> > > > what you're talking about. I wouldn't call
> > any
> > > of
> > > > the RD'd homes McMansions...they are
> regular
> > > > middle class neighborhoods. You and your
> > idiot
> > > > friends like to polarize people along the
> > lines
> > > of
> > > > class and race.
>
> Jane Strauss is exactly of the same ilk. If
> anything, she's worse, because she has a calm
> manner and is not transparently ridiculous like
> Gibson. She makes public statements that no one
> could possibly expect Langley residents ever to be
> redistricted, and then is part of 10-2 vote to
> send Westfield/Chantilly/Madison families to South
> Lakes.
>
> Conclusion: these board members are used to doing
> back-room deals and talking freely out of both
> sides of their mouths. Thanks to CAPS and others
> on this forum for pointing this out, and to Google
> for making it possible to expose the
> inconsistencies.

May I also point out about Gibson's quote..please read his first statement about how a lot of people choose to live based on the high schools. Pretty contradictory to how Bradsher steamed with her words telling how the schools belonged to the SB and not the public. Again my argument still stands, we do have a choice of schools and where to live based on these schools! Thanks to the SB for doing a great job being inconsistent and dishonest.

Posted by: Context ()
Date: May 21, 2008 11:55AM

Baffled Wrote:
> You Are So Wrong Wrote:
> -----
> > Stu hasn't had a child at South Lakes for three
> > years. None of his children did the IB diploma.
>
> > Don't say things that aren't grounded in fact.
> It
> > makes you look stupid.
>
> According to a recent newspaper article, Stu
> mentioned his daughter participated in the IB
> program and was enriched with it. However, it was
> not clear to me if his daughter was an IB diploma
> student, meaning taking two years of the IB
> program before receiving the diploma.

You are so wrong, Catching someone in an oversight or technicality makes YOU look stupid...and mean too. Clearly, Stu gives heavenly praise to IB because his daughter had success with it--whether she did IB Diploma or not really isn't important in this context. I certainly hope you never make a misstep here...but if you do I hope others will eat your bones.

Posted by: quantum ()
Date: May 21, 2008 04:55PM

Westfield ESOL - - aren't you being a little harsh? Given Westfield's size (more than double the number of students than at SLHS), Westfield has well over 300 FRL kids (not up to SLHS' number of nearly 500 - but still a meaningful amount to assert "diversity") - and likely more, in terms of raw numbers, more limited English kids. Just because Westfield doesn't prevail over SLHS in the battle of the victicrats percentage-wise does not detract from Floris Mom's point that Westfield is plenty diverse - and maybe even more so than the statistics proffered suggest because of Westfield's Asian population - a group that doesn't "count" in the eyes of many
progressive apparatchiks, but counts in terms of practical diversity experience. I take your point as a reminder that SLHS has it "worse" - and thus is part of an ongoing effort to assert or justify a moral imperative for redistricting, because I don't see where Floris Mom's conclusion is invalid.

Posted by: ESL kids ()
Date: May 21, 2008 05:10PM

I think to arbitrarily label kids ESL can be a bit misleading. FCPS wants everyone to believe that they are positively overwhelmed with all these kids who don't understand a word of English.

My understanding is that there are 5 levels of ESL proficiency. FCPS brags that kids always move from one level to the next each year-so after 5 years they should be at the "achieveing english proficiency level". For example, at South Lakes HS in June 2005 (sorry data is a bit old) there were 5 students in the Developing literary skills level. 5 out of 1486 students-hardly an overwhelming amount. There were 47 at beginning, 35 at intermediate, 61 at advanced and 92 at the "achieving English proficiency".

Perhaps I am boring the crowd with this information, but I think it is important for everyone to understand that this ESL label includes kids who are advanced and achieving proficiency. Most kids in the school wouldn't even know some of these kids fall under the ESL label.

Frankly I think FCPS uses the figures to their benefit by leading people to believe that all these kids labeled ESL don't speak English.

Posted by: edna ()
Date: May 21, 2008 05:19PM

ELS Kid raises several good points. Aren't the schools with high numbers of ELS kids also the schools that scored well on SOLs in english and reading. A major question is why are the kids doing so poorly in the math and science field?

ESL kids Wrote:
> I think to arbitrarily label kids ESL can be a bit
> misleading. FCPS wants everyone to believe that
> they are positively overwhelmed with all these
> kids who don't understand a word of English.
>
> My understanding is that there are 5 levels of ESL
> proficiency. FCPS brags that kids always move
> from one level to the next each year-so after 5
> years they should be at the "achieveing english
> proficiency level". For example, at South Lakes
> HS in June 2005 (sorry data is a bit old) there
> were 5 students in the Developing literary skills
> level. 5 out of 1486 students-hardly an
> overwhelming amount. There were 47 at beginning,
> 35 at intermediate, 61 at advanced and 92 at the
> "achieving English proficiency".
>
> Perhaps I am boring the crowd with this
> information, but I think it is important for
> everyone to understand that this ESL label
> includes kids who are advanced and achieving
> proficiency. Most kids in the school wouldn't even
> know some of these kids fall under the ESL label.
>
> Frankly I think FCPS uses the figures to their
> benefit by leading people to believe that all
> these kids labeled ESL don't speak English.

Date: May 21, 2008 06:31PM

Thank you Quantum,

I was just trying to make a point that Westfield is very diverse. I was including in ESOL kids who have limited English proficiency, and may not be in the actual ESOL program there. If you don't believe me then I invite you to visit WHS. Go when school lets out. You will see a very diverse student population at Westfield. There are rich kids, poor kids, middle class kids, kids of every color and nationality. Percentage of free lunches does not indicate how diverse a school is. Go up right before school lets out and you will see the special ed kids, including many Down Syndrome children, being helped on their busses. My point is that the charges that WHS and Floris are racist and elitist are absolutely off the mark. Floris does not want to go to South Lakes because: a) We like AP; b) We are a tired community, tired of seven redistrictings in the past ten years; c) We feel used; we were used seven years ago to open up Westfield and now we are feeling used again to boost the scores at South Lakes; d) We actually were very happy at Oakton and were redistricted into WHS seven years ago and now another high school; e) There are some families in Floris with three children who will actually have three different high school diplomas (would you want that for your family); f) Our community is now split in half!!!

Posted by: lawsuit ()
Date: May 21, 2008 08:38PM

The SBMs dont care what people think or what is fair. The lawsuit is the only way to make them listen and even notice our objections. Support the lawsuit...

Posted by: donate to caps ()
Date: May 21, 2008 11:01PM

Donate to CAPS. Or help in their fund raiser. Only way out of this mess.

lawsuit Wrote:
> The SBMs dont care what people think or what is
> fair. The lawsuit is the only way to make them
> listen and even notice our objections. Support the
> lawsuit...

Posted by: Newbie ()
Date: May 21, 2008 11:45PM

How do I donate to CAPS?

donate to caps Wrote:
> Donate to CAPS. Or help in their fund raiser. Only
> way out of this mess.
>
> lawsuit Wrote:
> -----
> > The SBMs dont care what people think or what is
> > fair. The lawsuit is the only way to make them
> > listen and even notice our objections. Support
> the
> > lawsuit...

Posted by: donate to caps ()
Date: May 22, 2008 12:17AM

Go to http://www.fairfaxcaps.org/html/donation.html
www.fairfaxcaps.org/html/donation.html

If you dont want to do it online, email them and mail a check.

Newbie Wrote:
> How do I donate to CAPS?
>
>
> donate to caps Wrote:
> -----
> > Donate to CAPS. Or help in their fund raiser.
> Only
> > way out of this mess.
> >
> > lawsuit Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > The SBMs dont care what people think or what
> is
> > > fair. The lawsuit is the only way to make
> them
> > > listen and even notice our objections.
> Support
> > the
> > > lawsuit...

Date: May 22, 2008 12:38AM

Marshall Plan Wrote:
> > On the other hand, if Marshall closes, McLean
> or
> > Langley theoretically could pick up a few
> students
> > (raises some thorny pyramid issues), but the
> bulk
> > would go to Madison and Falls Church, which in
> > turn sends more Madison kids to South Lakes
> (hmm,
> > how would that be received), and will make the
> > Marshall parents whose kids are sent to Falls
> > Church no happier than Westfield and Oakton
> > parents whose kids have just been sent to South
> > Lakes. Moreover, RD'ing the higher-income
> > Marshall neighborhoods that are close to
> Madison
> > to Madison will make Madison even more less
> > diverse than it is now, while redistricting the
> > more economically diverse Marshall
> neighborhoods
> > closer to Falls Church could drive up the
> > percentage of ESOL/free-lunch students at a
> school
> > that is already high in these categories. Best
> > idea since McNair to South Lakes!
> >
> Madison does not want a boundary shift. Why not
> just close Marshall and send the students to South
> Lakes and Falls Church?
>
> Neen - would this work and keep Madison safe?

It would be great to get the Vienna kids back from Marshall who were sent there in the mid 1980's. Obviously that redistricting didn't work either. But if we look at the numbers it makes sense to send the students at Marshall who want IB to South Lakes and those who want AP to Falls Church.

If the school board cared about saving money they would consolidate the IB program into one or two high schools and let the rest be AP. It not only saves money, it gives people what they want, more AP and less IB. Seems like a win-win.

Date: May 22, 2008 12:44AM

County Dad Wrote:
> Well looks like Langley is once again the top
> school in the County. Is everybody now moving to
> Langley?

Too late, McLean schools are very overcrowded. Many people new years ago that McLean has the best schools and they moved there. People who value education are willing to pay the premiums for good school districts.

But you all know that.

Date: May 22, 2008 12:48AM

it is so obvious Wrote:
> To the moron giving the SB credit for the high
> rankings of SOME of our schools-you need a reality
> check.
>
> How ironic that the SB is more than willing to
> take credit for the accomplishments but when it
> comes to the failures and the underperforming
> schools and students =they point the finger at the
> parents.
>
> Which is SB Lovers??? Which scenario do the
> parents get the credit or the blame??
>
> The stupidity of some astounds me.
>
> Someone please tell me an area in FCPS that has
> shown an improvement in the last 5 years? Point to
> a statistic where FCPS is higher ranked than they
> were relative to other schools in the last 5
> years. Open your eyes, we are slipping in
> ranks-not gaining. We are being passed by school
> districts who spend a fraction of what we spend.
>
> If I am a high school track coach and I am given
> the 3 fastest runners in the state-what can I
> possibly take credit for?
>
> I am yet to see a SLHS supporter respond to the
> questions of drop outs and IB?SAT participation.
> Kinda weird, huh?

ALL good questions. Don't hold your breath waiting for answers.

Date: May 22, 2008 12:54AM

Context Wrote:
> Baffled Wrote:
> -----
> > You Are So Wrong Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Stu hasn't had a child at South Lakes for
> three
> > > years. None of his children did the IB
> diploma.
> >
> > > Don't say things that aren't grounded in fact.
>
> > It
> > > makes you look stupid.
> >
> > According to a recent newspaper article, Stu
> > mentioned his daughter participated in the IB
> > program and was enriched with it. However, it
> was
> > not clear to me if his daughter was an IB
> diploma
> > student, meaning taking two years of the IB
> > program before receiving the diploma.
>
>
> You are so wrong, Catching someone in an oversight
> or technicality makes YOU look stupid...and mean
> too. Clearly, Stu gives heavenly praise to IB
> because his daughter had success with it--whether
> she did IB Diploma or not really isn't important
> in this context. I certainly hope you never make
> a misstep here...but if you do I hope others will
> eat your bones.

It is YOU who appears to lack reading comprehension. Stu says ONE IB English teacher changed things for one of his daughters. He praises that ONE teacher who apparently was a great teacher. That has little to do with the IB program as a whole. That teacher would have been equally effective teaching AP English, or any English course. It was the teacher, not the program, who Stu praises. One great teacher can change a student's life. Ask any TJ student who had Vern Williams for math in middle school. He has changed the lives of many students, taught them to excel at math and to love it.

What difference does it make that Stu's children didn't do the IB program? Shouldn't he be making program decisions based on what is good for FCPS students, not just his children?

Posted by: Donate to Caps now. ()
Date: May 22, 2008 07:21AM

donate to caps Wrote:
> Donate to CAPS. Or help in their fund raiser. Only
> way out of this mess.
>
> lawsuit Wrote:
> -----
> > The SBMs dont care what people think or what is
> > fair. The lawsuit is the only way to make them
> > listen and even notice our objections. Support
> the
> > lawsuit...

If we do not stand up to this SB now, when? Donate now and save our school system.

We need to make sure that drop out rates go down, SAT scores go up, less schools fail NCLB,and fair boundary studies.

Posted by: donate? for what? ()
Date: May 22, 2008 07:47AM

Donate to Caps now. Wrote:
> donate to caps Wrote:
> -----
> > Donate to CAPS. Or help in their fund raiser.
> Only
> > way out of this mess.
> >
> > lawsuit Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > The SBMs dont care what people think or what
> is
> > > fair. The lawsuit is the only way to make
> them
> > > listen and even notice our objections.
> Support
> > the
> > > lawsuit...
>
> If we do not stand up to this SB now, when? Donate
> now and save our school system.
>
> We need to make sure that drop out rates go down,
> SAT scores go up, less schools fail NCLB,and fair
> boundary studies.

And the CAPS plans for lowering drop out rates, raising SAT scores, passing NCLB and undergoing fair boundary studies ARE ???????????????

I can think of a million better ways to spend my "spare" pennies.

Posted by: 169,000 STUDENTS ()
Date: May 22, 2008 08:09AM

donate? for what? Wrote:
> Donate to Caps now. Wrote:
> -----
> > donate to caps Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Donate to CAPS. Or help in their fund raiser.
> > Only
> > > way out of this mess.
> > >
> > > lawsuit Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > The SBMs dont care what people think or
> what
> > is
> > > > fair. The lawsuit is the only way to make
> > them
> > > > listen and even notice our objections.
> > Support
> > > the
> > > > lawsuit...
> >
> > If we do not stand up to this SB now, when?
> Donate
> > now and save our school system.
> >
> > We need to make sure that drop out rates go
> down,
> > SAT scores go up, less schools fail NCLB,and
> fair
> > boundary studies.
>
>
> And the CAPS plans for lowering drop out rates,
> raising SAT scores, passing NCLB and undergoing
> fair boundary studies ARE ???????????????
>
> I can think of a million better ways to spend my
> "spare" pennies.

No, it is not a million. Rather it is 169,000 students in the FCPS.

If you do not care about the students, hold on to your pennies.

Posted by: Edna ()
Date: May 22, 2008 09:18AM

Good articles by Chandler in the today's WP, Metro Section.

Seems there are some school board members who are intent on moving the Graham School to another site. I bet if one were to lift the pages, the move is not in the best interest of the families/children but to be an excuse to get a new administration headquarters for the School Board Administration.

The Board says they are overcrowded and need more space. Well a remedy would be to put some of those high salaried folks back in the school room. Maybe they could replace the classroom assistants that are being cut because of budget issues. I guess that answer is too simple.

Does anyone know to find out the number of school board administrative staff?

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: May 22, 2008 09:34AM

Neen Wrote:
>
> It is YOU who appears to lack reading
> comprehension. Stu says ONE IB English teacher
> changed things for one of his daughters. He
> praises that ONE teacher who apparently was a
> great teacher. That has little to do with the IB
> program as a whole. That teacher would have been
> equally effective teaching AP English, or any
> English course. It was the teacher, not the
> program, who Stu praises. One great teacher can
> change a student's life. Ask any TJ student who
> had Vern Williams for math in middle school. He
> has changed the lives of many students, taught
> them to excel at math and to love it.
>
> What difference does it make that Stu's children
> didn't do the IB program? Shouldn't he be making
> program decisions based on what is good for FCPS
> students, not just his children?

That may all be true, except Stu absolutely DOES praise the IB program, on numerous occasions. I just heard him do it again about 2 weeks ago at one of their televised SB meetings.

Posted by: Marshall Booster ()
Date: May 22, 2008 10:57AM

Neen Wrote:
>
> It would be great to get the Vienna kids back from
> Marshall who were sent there in the mid 1980's.
> Obviously that redistricting didn't work either.
> But if we look at the numbers it makes sense to
> send the students at Marshall who want IB to South
> Lakes and those who want AP to Falls Church.
>
> If the school board cared about saving money they
> would consolidate the IB program into one or two
> high schools and let the rest be AP. It not only
> saves money, it gives people what they want, more
> AP and less IB. Seems like a win-win.

Neen - Your information is outdated. I understand the Marshall redistricting may have been disruptive and rejected by some parents in the past. However, many of us - including your Vienna neighbors - are more than happy with Marshall. The enrollment is up almost 200 students compared to levels in the mid-90s. Test scores are up as well, with Marshall ranking 5th out of the 25 county high schools on SOL scores per the recent CAPS study and 9th in SAT scores. This would be admirable under any circumstances, but is particularly so given the significant numbers of ESOL/FRL students at the school. To be sure, there are some parents in our area who send their kids to private schools, but there are also families in Langley district that pick private schools as well.

There is no way that, if Marshall were closed, all of the parents will readily agree to send their kids to South Lakes or Falls Church. Much of the current attendance area is far closer to Madison and Oakton than to either of those schools. We would not quietly accept far longer bus rides for our kids while others were not affected at all. In other words, closing Marshall would - as others have noted - have big ripple effects that many parents would not view as part of a "win-win" solution.

It seems to me that, from an RD perspective, we are good neighbors. We are happy with our school, pleased with the teachers and current administration, and proud of our students. No other school in the county has a better track record with the IB program. We are not working behind the scenes to add other neighborhoods to our attendance area and disrupt others' lives. We would appreciate a long-overdue renovation of the facility, but have made no effort to leapfrog ahead of other schools. Given all this, criticizing the school or calling for its closure seems bizarre.

Posted by: IB vs AP question ()
Date: May 22, 2008 11:14AM

I know people are sick about this IB/AP comparison but I do have a question/comment. My 2 kids attend an IB school. Because of their sports/SGA, etc committments they were not able to committ to the full IB diploma program. I like the idea that they coordinate the topics between the classes. For example, if they are studying Chinese history early 1900s in OB History, then in IB English they will be reading a book during that same time period. It seems to reinforce what they are learning on different levels-which I like.

What I find troubling is the part time IBers. It seems the a la carte choosing of AP classes works better than the "IB Program". I think if you are in it 100% the programs are equal, but for the kids who just want a few upper level classes, the AP system might work better.

I would like to see participation rates at IB/AP schools to see which one the kids/parents are embracing at a higher percentage-particularly for our minority students.

I am in no way an expert on the topic-I just wanted to hear from an IB "expert" on some of these questions.

Posted by: Remember the Cavaliers? ()
Date: May 22, 2008 11:51AM

IB vs AP question Wrote:
> I know people are sick about this IB/AP comparison
> but I do have a question/comment. My 2 kids
> attend an IB school. Because of their sports/SGA,
> etc committments they were not able to committ to
> the full IB diploma program. I like the idea that
> they coordinate the topics between the classes.
> For example, if they are studying Chinese history
> early 1900s in OB History, then in IB English they
> will be reading a book during that same time
> period. It seems to reinforce what they are
> learning on different levels-which I like.
>
> What I find troubling is the part time IBers. It
> seems the a la carte choosing of AP classes works
> better than the "IB Program". I think if you are
> in it 100% the programs are equal, but for the
> kids who just want a few upper level classes, the
> AP system might work better.
>
> I would like to see participation rates at IB/AP
> schools to see which one the kids/parents are
> embracing at a higher percentage-particularly for
> our minority students.
>
> I am in no way an expert on the topic-I just
> wanted to hear from an IB "expert" on some of
> these questions.

Also - does someone know when and how Woodson parents persuaded School Board to bring back AP and drop IB? It seems as if, once the IB program is introduced at a school, it is very hard to change. Would Stuart Gibson try and block a change at an IB school other than South Lakes or does Gibson only care about what happens at SL?

Posted by: gibson and ib ()
Date: May 22, 2008 12:34PM

Stu Gibson will never allow AP in South Lakes. To get AP in SL we first need to recall him, and get someone in SB who wants to do really improve SL. Remember Stu Gibson said south lakes is not broken and his only fix is to get other students to statistically improve the score. None of these SBMs were interested in improving the acadamics in SL by bringing in AP

Remember the Cavaliers? Wrote:
> IB vs AP question Wrote:
> -----
> > I know people are sick about this IB/AP
> comparison
> > but I do have a question/comment. My 2 kids
> > attend an IB school. Because of their
> sports/SGA,
> > etc committments they were not able to committ
> to
> > the full IB diploma program. I like the idea
> that
> > they coordinate the topics between the classes.
>
> > For example, if they are studying Chinese
> history
> > early 1900s in OB History, then in IB English
> they
> > will be reading a book during that same time
> > period. It seems to reinforce what they are
> > learning on different levels-which I like.
> >
> > What I find troubling is the part time IBers.
> It
> > seems the a la carte choosing of AP classes
> works
> > better than the "IB Program". I think if you
> are
> > in it 100% the programs are equal, but for the
> > kids who just want a few upper level classes,
> the
> > AP system might work better.
> >
> > I would like to see participation rates at
> IB/AP
> > schools to see which one the kids/parents are
> > embracing at a higher percentage-particularly
> for
> > our minority students.
> >
> > I am in no way an expert on the topic-I just
> > wanted to hear from an IB "expert" on some of
> > these questions.
>
> Also - does someone know when and how Woodson
> parents persuaded School Board to bring back AP
> and drop IB? It seems as if, once the IB program
> is introduced at a school, it is very hard to
> change. Would Stuart Gibson try and block a
> change at an IB school other than South Lakes or
> does Gibson only care about what happens at SL?

Posted by: Remember the Cavaliers ()
Date: May 22, 2008 12:58PM

gibson and ib Wrote:
> Stu Gibson will never allow AP in South Lakes. To
> get AP in SL we first need to recall him, and get
> someone in SB who wants to do really improve SL.
> Remember Stu Gibson said south lakes is not broken
> and his only fix is to get other students to
> statistically improve the score. None of these
> SBMs were interested in improving the acadamics in
> SL by bringing in AP
>
>
> Remember the Cavaliers? Wrote:
> -----
> > IB vs AP question Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I know people are sick about this IB/AP
> > comparison
> > > but I do have a question/comment. My 2 kids
> > > attend an IB school. Because of their
> > sports/SGA,
> > > etc committments they were not able to
> committ
> > to
> > > the full IB diploma program. I like the idea
> > that
> > > they coordinate the topics between the
> classes.
> >
> > > For example, if they are studying Chinese
> > history
> > > early 1900s in OB History, then in IB English
> > they
> > > will be reading a book during that same time
> > > period. It seems to reinforce what they are
> > > learning on different levels-which I like.
> > >
> > > What I find troubling is the part time IBers.
>
> > It
> > > seems the a la carte choosing of AP classes
> > works
> > > better than the "IB Program". I think if you
> > are
> > > in it 100% the programs are equal, but for
> the
> > > kids who just want a few upper level classes,
> > the
> > > AP system might work better.
> > >
> > > I would like to see participation rates at
> > IB/AP
> > > schools to see which one the kids/parents are
> > > embracing at a higher percentage-particularly
> > for
> > > our minority students.
> > >
> > > I am in no way an expert on the topic-I just
> > > wanted to hear from an IB "expert" on some of
> > > these questions.
> >
> > Also - does someone know when and how Woodson
> > parents persuaded School Board to bring back AP
> > and drop IB? It seems as if, once the IB
> program
> > is introduced at a school, it is very hard to
> > change. Would Stuart Gibson try and block a
> > change at an IB school other than South Lakes
> or
> > does Gibson only care about what happens at SL?

I assumed that is the case at South Lakes and have read all about how an IB course transformed his daughter's life for the better, etc. But what about those of us with kids slated to attend other IB schools who just think targeted AP courses would be better than the full IB program? Is our only option to move or pupil place?

Posted by: woodson ()
Date: May 22, 2008 12:59PM

Remember the Cavaliers? Wrote:
> >
> Also - does someone know when and how Woodson
> parents persuaded School Board to bring back AP
> and drop IB? It seems as if, once the IB program
> is introduced at a school, it is very hard to
> change. Would Stuart Gibson try and block a
> change at an IB school other than South Lakes or
> does Gibson only care about what happens at SL?

AP never left Woodson; for two years they tried IB alongside AP and then the community voted on AP. They were allowed to do that because there had been some miscommunication when they voted to try IB..they thought they would have both programs. When told by the new principal at the time, Mr. Elliott, that they wouldn't have both they set up the trial phase and then voted.

Posted by: Neenologist ()
Date: May 22, 2008 01:47PM

Marshall Booster Wrote:
> Neen - Your information is outdated. I understand
> the Marshall redistricting may have been
> disruptive and rejected by some parents in the
> past. However, many of us - including your Vienna
> neighbors - are more than happy with Marshall.
> The enrollment is up almost 200 students compared
> to levels in the mid-90s. Test scores are up as
> well, with Marshall ranking 5th out of the 25
> county high schools on SOL scores per the recent
> CAPS study and 9th in SAT scores. This would be
> admirable under any circumstances, but is
> particularly so given the significant numbers of
> ESOL/FRL students at the school. To be sure,
> there are some parents in our area who send their
> kids to private schools, but there are also
> families in Langley district that pick private
> schools as well.
>
> There is no way that, if Marshall were closed, all
> of the parents will readily agree to send their
> kids to South Lakes or Falls Church. Much of the
> current attendance area is far closer to Madison
> and Oakton than to either of those schools. We
> would not quietly accept far longer bus rides for
> our kids while others were not affected at all.
> In other words, closing Marshall would - as others
> have noted - have big ripple effects that many
> parents would not view as part of a "win-win"
> solution.
>
> It seems to me that, from an RD perspective, we
> are good neighbors. We are happy with our school,
> pleased with the teachers and current
> administration, and proud of our students. No
> other school in the county has a better track
> record with the IB program. We are not working
> behind the scenes to add other neighborhoods to
> our attendance area and disrupt others' lives. We
> would appreciate a long-overdue renovation of the
> facility, but have made no effort to leapfrog
> ahead of other schools. Given all this,
> criticizing the school or calling for its closure
> seems bizarre.

Don't worry. Phil Niedzielski-Eichner has promised Marshall parents that the renovation will go forward, and Dean Tisdadt said during the RD hearings that the school may even be expanded to accommodate expected growth in Tysons area. It's hard to see how new apartments in Tysons Corner will result in a lot of new K-12 students, but it gives you some idea of the current thinking.

It's also unlikely that Vienna students at Marshall would be sent to Madison without sending all of the current Madison area west of Hunter Mill to South Lakes. I don't think the School Board really wants to take on that battle after the last RD - people would claim Stu Gibson is closing Marshall to get even more Madison kids into South Lakes. Falls Church has many more open seats, and the School Board probably will address that by redrawing the Annandale-Falls Church boundaries in a year or two.

Posted by: Huh? ()
Date: May 22, 2008 01:59PM

Neen Wrote:
> County Dad Wrote:
> -----
> > Well looks like Langley is once again the top
> > school in the County. Is everybody now moving
> to
> > Langley?
>
> Too late, McLean schools are very overcrowded.
> Many people new years ago that McLean has the best
> schools and they moved there. People who value
> education are willing to pay the premiums for good
> school districts.
>
> But you all know that.

The McLean area schools are hardly bursting at the seams. Many of the neighborhoods are both older and expensive, so it's not always easy for young parents to find something they like and can afford. McLean HS, which is small, is slightly over-enrolled now; the junior high (Longfellow) is not. Some of the feeder elementary schools are crowded now; others are not. Same thing could be said for many other pyramids in the county.

Posted by: Fight the SB now ()
Date: May 22, 2008 02:19PM

How long will the taxpayers of Fairfax County allow this school board to give them the shaft? I say fight them now.

Ilryong Moon, At Large;
Kathy Smith, Vice Chairman and Sully District;
Elizabeth Bradsher, Springfield District;
Tessie Wilson, Braddock District;
Jane Strauss, Dranesville District.
Stuart Gibson, Hunter Mill District;
Kaye Kory, Mason District;
Dan Storck, Chairman and Mount Vernon District;
Brad Center, Lee District;
James L. Raney, At Large;
Martina Hone, At Large;
Phillip Niedzielski-Eichner, Providence District.

Posted by: SLHS cut in line?? ()
Date: May 22, 2008 02:23PM

Given the 2.4 year backlog on general repairs, given the inadequate staffing for maintenance due to budget issues, given the 10 year waiting period for schools for renovations, how the @@%$** did South Lakes get renovated ahead of TJ, Marshall, Edison and West Springfield???

Does anyone have any docs dating back to when that decision was made? It confounds me.

Date: May 22, 2008 02:51PM

SLHS cut in line?? Wrote:
> Given the 2.4 year backlog on general repairs,
> given the inadequate staffing for maintenance due
> to budget issues, given the 10 year waiting period
> for schools for renovations, how the @@%$** did
> South Lakes get renovated ahead of TJ, Marshall,
> Edison and West Springfield???
>
> Does anyone have any docs dating back to when that
> decision was made? It confounds me.

Typical Anti-RDer: Assumes that South Lakes got the gravy from its "close-knit" relationship with the SB. Har-dee-har-har.

Open your mind, and go back to listen to Ridge Loux, the long-time SL PTSA President, when he spoke at the RD hearings earlier the year.

Then you'll get a little factual foundation, and perhaps understand why most of the SLHS community laugh when we hear how "well" we've been treated over the years by FCPS and the School Board:

-- with boundary decisions for the SL Pyramid that made no geographic sense (except when viewed as to which communities really have political "juice"),
-- Principal hirings/firings and lack of input therein,
-- getting pushed back in the line for a long-overdue renovation and then getting the budget and scope slashed when it actually finally got approved...again with no input from the SLHS community,
-- etc.

Then join the truly confounded.

"Cut in line", my eye.

Posted by: Typical ()
Date: May 22, 2008 03:03PM

The above post suggests a SL supporter. Typical. Older schools should be entitled to their renovations first. SL could have waited their turn.

Date: May 22, 2008 03:11PM

SLHS cut in line?? Wrote:
> Given the 2.4 year backlog on general repairs,
> given the inadequate staffing for maintenance due
> to budget issues, given the 10 year waiting period
> for schools for renovations, how the @@%$** did
> South Lakes get renovated ahead of TJ, Marshall,
> Edison and West Springfield???
>
> Does anyone have any docs dating back to when that
> decision was made? It confounds me.

Weren't there some fairly compelling arguments that the original design of South Lakes was less than stellar and that renovations were needed? The current list of priority high school - Woodson, Edison, Marshall and TJ - also makes sense. West Springfield is not identified in the current CIP, but it is also a school in need of repairs and should added to the list.

Let's not allow the School Board to divert funds for these needed renovations to pet projects of Jane Strauss, Liz Bradsher or other individual SB members.

Posted by: SLHS are habitual liars ()
Date: May 22, 2008 03:40PM

I swear if these SL folks told me it was raining outside I wouldn't believe them:

Marshall HS built in 1962 Additions in 1967 and 1983 1350 kids
Jefferson built in 1964 Additions in 1966 and 1988 1800 kids
West Springfld built in 1966 Additions in 1990 2240 max

Drum roll....please......

South Lakes built in 1978 Renovated in 2005 1425 kids

Why in hells bells would we renovate SLHS which is 16 years newer than Marshall, 14 years newer than TJ and 12 years newer than WSHS?

I am so sick of these school board members and their corrupt "bridge to nowhere" projects. PORK, PORK, PORK-we need to slaughter these pigs.

Date: May 22, 2008 03:49PM

SLHS are habitual liars Wrote:
> I swear if these SL folks told me it was raining
> outside I wouldn't believe them:
>
> Marshall HS built in 1962 Additions
> in 1967 and 1983 1350 kids
> Jefferson built in 1964 Additions
> in 1966 and 1988 1800 kids
> West Springfld built in 1966 Additions
> in 1990 2240 max
>
> Drum roll....please......
>
> South Lakes built in 1978 Renovated
> in 2005 1425 kids
>
>
> Why in hells bells would we renovate SLHS which is
> 16 years newer than Marshall, 14 years newer than
> TJ and 12 years newer than WSHS?
>
> I am so sick of these school board members and
> their corrupt "bridge to nowhere" projects. PORK,
> PORK, PORK-we need to slaughter these pigs.

You are misguided --- aside from the fact that you use the phrase "Hells bells" without the possessive -- but your figures show that each of the older schools had significant capital improvements more recently than South Lakes. Marshall's was the furthest back, in 1983; West Springfield the most recent in 1990.

If we had called it an "addition" or "expansion"......oooops, that's what we already were accused of getting numerous times earlier in this thread, and not a renovation.....would you still consider us to be a "liar", habitual or not?

Oink, oink. You're the pig in the poke.

Date: May 22, 2008 04:09PM

Edna Wrote:
> Good articles by Chandler in the today's WP, Metro
> Section.
>
> Seems there are some school board members who are
> intent on moving the Graham School to another
> site. I bet if one were to lift the pages, the
> move is not in the best interest of the
> families/children but to be an excuse to get a new
> administration headquarters for the School Board
> Administration.
>
> The Board says they are overcrowded and need more
> space. Well a remedy would be to put some of those
> high salaried folks back in the school room.
> Maybe they could replace the classroom assistants
> that are being cut because of budget issues. I
> guess that answer is too simple.
>
> Does anyone know to find out the number of school
> board administrative staff?

You can only get that answer if you ask Dr.Dale directly and phrase the question correctly. He will say that we have about 22,000 employees (not counting bus drivers, janitors, cafeteria workers and others who are on a separate budget). Of those 22,000 he will claim about 14,000 are teachers. When questioned more closely, he will admit that about half of the 14,000 are in the classroom. They count in the 14,000 psychologists, audiologists, social workers, and lots of other jobs that are not teaching in a class room. If we use 7,000 as the number of teachers, the math works pretty well, the average class size being about 23.7. Of course very few children are ever in a class that small but included in the 7,000 are special ed classes, reading teachers, GT specialists, etc.

Posted by: gibson and ib ()
Date: May 22, 2008 04:17PM

Pupil place or move are the options. The only other option is to stay back and fight back against Gibson. We have to stand up a viaable candidate against Gibson and boot him out. The whole hunter mill district is screwed up by Gibson. In reality most people interested will move out of FM and no one will turn out to vote Gibson out

Remember the Cavaliers Wrote:
> gibson and ib Wrote:
> -----
> > Stu Gibson will never allow AP in South Lakes.
> To
> > get AP in SL we first need to recall him, and
> get
> > someone in SB who wants to do really improve
> SL.
> > Remember Stu Gibson said south lakes is not
> broken
> > and his only fix is to get other students to
> > statistically improve the score. None of these
> > SBMs were interested in improving the acadamics
> in
> > SL by bringing in AP
> >
> >
> > Remember the Cavaliers? Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > IB vs AP question Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > I know people are sick about this IB/AP
> > > comparison
> > > > but I do have a question/comment. My 2
> kids
> > > > attend an IB school. Because of their
> > > sports/SGA,
> > > > etc committments they were not able to
> > committ
> > > to
> > > > the full IB diploma program. I like the
> idea
> > > that
> > > > they coordinate the topics between the
> > classes.
> > >
> > > > For example, if they are studying Chinese
> > > history
> > > > early 1900s in OB History, then in IB
> English
> > > they
> > > > will be reading a book during that same
> time
> > > > period. It seems to reinforce what they
> are
> > > > learning on different levels-which I like.
> > > >
> > > > What I find troubling is the part time
> IBers.
> >
> > > It
> > > > seems the a la carte choosing of AP classes
> > > works
> > > > better than the "IB Program". I think if
> you
> > > are
> > > > in it 100% the programs are equal, but for
> > the
> > > > kids who just want a few upper level
> classes,
> > > the
> > > > AP system might work better.
> > > >
> > > > I would like to see participation rates at
> > > IB/AP
> > > > schools to see which one the kids/parents
> are
> > > > embracing at a higher
> percentage-particularly
> > > for
> > > > our minority students.
> > > >
> > > > I am in no way an expert on the topic-I
> just
> > > > wanted to hear from an IB "expert" on some
> of
> > > > these questions.
> > >
> > > Also - does someone know when and how Woodson
> > > parents persuaded School Board to bring back
> AP
> > > and drop IB? It seems as if, once the IB
> > program
> > > is introduced at a school, it is very hard to
> > > change. Would Stuart Gibson try and block a
> > > change at an IB school other than South Lakes
> > or
> > > does Gibson only care about what happens at
> SL?
>
> I assumed that is the case at South Lakes and have
> read all about how an IB course transformed his
> daughter's life for the better, etc. But what
> about those of us with kids slated to attend other
> IB schools who just think targeted AP courses
> would be better than the full IB program? Is our
> only option to move or pupil place?

Posted by: big difference ()
Date: May 22, 2008 04:18PM

Huge difference between renovation and addition- folks.

Addition can be a small wing, even a portable classroom dropped into the parking lot.

Renovations include those little insignificant things like bringing a building up to safety code specs, removing asbestos, duct work which adheres to EPA recommendations for air flow, etc.

To suggest that a renovation and an addition are the same thing is just plain stupid.

South Lakes should have been behind Marshall, Edison, TJ and West Springfield-their continued sense of entitlement to more than their fair share is frankly galling.

Date: May 22, 2008 04:21PM

SLHS are habitual liars Wrote:
> I swear if these SL folks told me it was raining
> outside I wouldn't believe them:
>
> Marshall HS built in 1962 Additions
> in 1967 and 1983 1350 kids
> Jefferson built in 1964 Additions
> in 1966 and 1988 1800 kids
> West Springfld built in 1966 Additions
> in 1990 2240 max
>
> Drum roll....please......
>
> South Lakes built in 1978 Renovated
> in 2005 1425 kids
>
>
> Why in hells bells would we renovate SLHS which is
> 16 years newer than Marshall, 14 years newer than
> TJ and 12 years newer than WSHS?
>
> I am so sick of these school board members and
> their corrupt "bridge to nowhere" projects. PORK,
> PORK, PORK-we need to slaughter these pigs.

Well........South Lakes had to be renovated because it was yet another failed educational experiment. It was built during the hay day of schools without walls or doors. It was another silly liberal idea, 'Open Schools". It never worked and was a disaster for teachers trying to teach while the classroom next door also had a teacher trying to teach and the students could hear both because, you see, there were no real walls and no doors to close. Students saw and heard everything happening in the hall outside the classrooms. The walls were only temporary partitions. Teachers tried to make their own doors, out of shower curtains and beads. It made learning and teaching very difficult, with constant distractions from the other classrooms and the halls. South Lakes was renovated so there were classrooms with walls and doors. It was also renovated to put in some natural light as it was built open on the inside but without windows to the outside. I hear the library now has skylights. And walls! Classrooms have doors! Very cool.

Don't liberal educrats EVER get sick of being wrong? Their silly fads never work, but that never stops them from embracing and advancing any silly educational fad that comes down the pike. That's how our kids got stuck with Whole Language, Everyday math, Hawaiian Algebra, Schools without walls, history without dates, never ending art projects in academics, and IB, among so many others.

Date: May 22, 2008 04:24PM

Boundary warrior Wrote:
> SLHS are habitual liars Wrote:
> -----
> > I swear if these SL folks told me it was
> raining
> > outside I wouldn't believe them:
> >
> > Marshall HS built in 1962
> Additions
> > in 1967 and 1983 1350 kids
> > Jefferson built in 1964
> Additions
> > in 1966 and 1988 1800 kids
> > West Springfld built in 1966
> Additions
> > in 1990 2240 max
> >
> > Drum roll....please......
> >
> > South Lakes built in 1978
> Renovated
> > in 2005 1425 kids
> >
> >
> > Why in hells bells would we renovate SLHS which
> is
> > 16 years newer than Marshall, 14 years newer
> than
> > TJ and 12 years newer than WSHS?
> >
> > I am so sick of these school board members and
> > their corrupt "bridge to nowhere" projects.
> PORK,
> > PORK, PORK-we need to slaughter these pigs.
>
>
> You are misguided --- aside from the fact that you
> use the phrase "Hells bells" without the
> possessive -- but your figures show that each of
> the older schools had significant capital
> improvements more recently than South Lakes.
> Marshall's was the furthest back, in 1983; West
> Springfield the most recent in 1990.
>
> If we had called it an "addition" or
> "expansion"......oooops, that's what we already
> were accused of getting numerous times earlier in
> this thread, and not a renovation.....would you
> still consider us to be a "liar", habitual or not?
>
>
> Oink, oink. You're the pig in the poke.

Typical once again. I just went to the SLHS website to check on the renovation progress. Boundary Warrior, can you please explain to me whether SLHS was getting an addition or just a renovation and an addition? Some of the pictures from the site suggested SLHS was getting an addition as well as a renovation (foundation being dug out as to make an addition).

Date: May 22, 2008 04:26PM

big difference Wrote:
> Huge difference between renovation and addition-
> folks.
>
> Addition can be a small wing, even a portable
> classroom dropped into the parking lot.
>
> Renovations include those little insignificant
> things like bringing a building up to safety code
> specs, removing asbestos, duct work which adheres
> to EPA recommendations for air flow, etc.
>
> To suggest that a renovation and an addition are
> the same thing is just plain stupid.
>
> South Lakes should have been behind Marshall,
> Edison, TJ and West Springfield-their continued
> sense of entitlement to more than their fair share
> is frankly galling.

Are you saying that Stu is better at getting things/money for South Lakes than other school board members are at getting things done in their districts? Are you saying that he's better at bringing home the bacon for his district? He's a better politician? Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. Janie's pretty good at it too. Both of them usually get what they want for their districts. Both of them are smart enough, and Stu is annoying enough, to get what they want for their districts. Janie's the absolute best rep on the board, imo. She cares about her people and she gets done what they want.

Posted by: Frank Galling ()
Date: May 22, 2008 04:38PM

big difference Wrote:
> Huge difference between renovation and addition-
> folks.
>
> Addition can be a small wing, even a portable
> classroom dropped into the parking lot.
>
> Renovations include those little insignificant
> things like bringing a building up to safety code
> specs, removing asbestos, duct work which adheres
> to EPA recommendations for air flow, etc.
>
> To suggest that a renovation and an addition are
> the same thing is just plain stupid.
>
> South Lakes should have been behind Marshall,
> Edison, TJ and West Springfield-their continued
> sense of entitlement to more than their fair share
> is frankly galling.

Nice try.

How kind to suggest that SLHS has suggested that a renovation and an addition are the same thing. Not.

The very thing that its opponents have long alleged SLHS to have gleaned unfairly from big daddy FCPS was an "addition", not a renovation of a crappy design and facility -- when it was underpopulated. We suggested no such thing.

And nice attempt at snarky sleight of hand by suggesting that all additions are a mere dropping of a portable classroom or two, vs. the bigger ticket Renovations.

Is that why everyone is screaming so loud about Langley's addition...just a portable classroom being added there?

We simply note that the FCPS’ capital improvement program (CIP) includes new schools, renovations, and additions. And that -- as you note -- the other schools have received more recent infusions under CIP, than SLHS had in the 30 years since it was first built.

So quit your moaning.

Posted by: talk to a building engineer ()
Date: May 22, 2008 04:45PM

I have a client who is an angineer and does business with Howard and Montgomery Counties.

If parents at Marshall, TJ, WSHS and Edison knew the crap in the walls and ceilings at their school-they would home school.

That crap has been in there for over 40 years and the kids breathe it in every day.

Next time you see a school nenovation taking place take note that the workers have the space suits and masks on for a reason.

But, by golly, South Lakes needed doors and brighter work areas.

Date: May 22, 2008 04:48PM

>
>
> Typical once again. I just went to the SLHS
> website to check on the renovation progress.
> Boundary Warrior, can you please explain to me
> whether SLHS was getting an addition or just a
> renovation and an addition? Some of the pictures
> from the site suggested SLHS was getting an
> addition as well as a renovation (foundation being
> dug out as to make an addition).

From the FCPS website about why South Lakes got a renovation:

"Answer: The School Board did not approve an expansion to South Lakes: the Board approved a renovation. When completed, the capacity for South Lakes will be slightly reduced from 2150 to 2100 as reported in the 2008-2012 CIP.

The South Lakes High School renovation planning funds were approved in the 1999 Bond Referendum with construction funding approved in the 2003 Bond Referendum. South Lakes High School was originally built in 1978 and this is the first major renovation project for the school."

Posted by: Another Lurker ()
Date: May 22, 2008 04:55PM

C'mon folks, SL was a horrible structure -- as someone here put it, "a failed experiment". If you'd ever been in it before the reno, you'd know that. I'm sure anyone could make arguments pro or con wrt ANY of the work, and some arguments have indeed been made on this forum about whether SLHS should have been renovated, razed, or repurposed, but IF you accept as a premise that the building was going to continue to be used for its previous purpose with more kids added, the renovation was a no-brainer. If you don't accept that premise (and many of us don't), then it's still a different argument, not "it should have been queued behind xxHS".

ObAnecdote: The original design had big pairs of wooden doors to the cafeterias, with no way to lock them. Since they needed to be locked, huge chains with equally huge padlocks were looped through the doors. Coupled with the overall design of the school, which was bizarre in the extreme, the prevailing rumor was that it had originally been built as a prison. Given how many kids feel about high school, that was all too apt an image...

Prisondoor460.jpg

Date: May 22, 2008 05:02PM

Another Lurker Wrote:
> C'mon folks, SL was a horrible structure -- as
> someone here put it, "a failed experiment". If
> you'd ever been in it before the reno, you'd know
> that. I'm sure anyone could make arguments pro or
> con wrt ANY of the work, and some arguments have
> indeed been made on this forum about whether SLHS
> should have been renovated, razed, or repurposed,
> but IF you accept as a premise that the building
> was going to continue to be used for its previous
> purpose with more kids added, the renovation was a
> no-brainer. If you don't accept that premise (and
> many of us don't), then it's still a different
> argument, not "it should have been queued behind
> xxHS".
>
> ObAnecdote: The original design had big pairs of
> wooden doors to the cafeterias, with no way to
> lock them. Since they needed to be locked, huge
> chains with equally huge padlocks were looped
> through the doors. Coupled with the overall
> design of the school, which was bizarre in the
> extreme, the prevailing rumor was that it had
> originally been built as a prison. Given how many
> kids feel about high school, that was all too apt
> an image...
>
>

Fair enough.

Date: May 22, 2008 05:09PM

Boundary warrior Wrote:
> >
> >
> > Typical once again. I just went to the SLHS
> > website to check on the renovation progress.
> > Boundary Warrior, can you please explain to me
> > whether SLHS was getting an addition or just a
> > renovation and an addition? Some of the
> pictures
> > from the site suggested SLHS was getting an
> > addition as well as a renovation (foundation
> being
> > dug out as to make an addition).
>
>
> From the FCPS website about why South Lakes got a
> renovation:
>
> "Answer: The School Board did not approve an
> expansion to South Lakes: the Board approved a
> renovation. When completed, the capacity for South
> Lakes will be slightly reduced from 2150 to 2100
> as reported in the 2008-2012 CIP.
>
> The South Lakes High School renovation planning
> funds were approved in the 1999 Bond Referendum
> with construction funding approved in the 2003
> Bond Referendum. South Lakes High School was
> originally built in 1978 and this is the first
> major renovation project for the school."

I saw one of the pictures of the renovation of the foundation being dug out as if it was going to be expanded (or an addition). Looks like a major renovation/addition overall to the school. I still feel older schools with renovation needs should be paid attention to first.

Posted by: don't shoot the messenger ()
Date: May 22, 2008 05:10PM

Montgomery County MD residents are fortunate enough to have a Legislative Oversight Office. They act as a watchdog for the average citizen and they put out pretty comprehensive reports about all types of things going on in the county-many addressing issues about the schools. Just recently they put out a report on the impact of smaller class sizes. Last year they issued something about the progress on the minority achievement gaps and one called "Review of MCPS Facilities-Compliance with Environmental Laws and Regulations".

The report is 200 pages in length and quite detailed. It is unfortunate we in Fairfax County don't have access to similar data-we would have to spend thousands of dollars on FOIA requests and wait months or years for the data. They do all the work for their residents.

Pages 30 plus deal with asbestos. In September 2007 half of Montgomery County schools have asbestos-containing materials-most is contained in floor tiles. They spend over one million dollars per year in asbestos abatement.

One would have to assume that FCPS is in the same boat as MOCO. Renovations are needed not just to look pretty but there are some SERIOUS safety issues involved. These projects need to take priority over any "remodeling" issues and certainly ahead of any construction of new schools that we don't need (SOCO).

Posted by: pennies for students, not CAPS ()
Date: May 22, 2008 06:23PM

Edna,

You seem to think that giving money to FairfaxCAPS is the same as giving money to FCPS students. You couldn't be more wrong.

Every time I read these requests for money sent to CAPS I wonder about you people. Better to go support your local PTA by buying some fundraising product.

Not throwing my money toward a foolish lawsuit. Why don't all you people go do something productive like run for school board?

Posted by: caps is good for fcps students ()
Date: May 22, 2008 06:40PM

How wrong you are. This school board has a 2 billion dollar budget that they squandar away on their personal political gain. eg 10 million addition to Langley rather than using space at SL, a 10 million wasted addition at Westfield when they send those students from WF to SL instead of Langley to SL. Thats 20 million right there. Your giving small money to CAPS will provide a effective watchdog and will send a message to these corrupt school board members like Gibson that the FCPS budget is for students and not for their political games. So the students do in fact benefit much more when you give to watchdog organizations like CAPS.

pennies for students, not CAPS Wrote:
> Edna,
>
> You seem to think that giving money to FairfaxCAPS
> is the same as giving money to FCPS students. You
> couldn't be more wrong.
>
> Every time I read these requests for money sent to
> CAPS I wonder about you people. Better to go
> support your local PTA by buying some fundraising
> product.
>
> Not throwing my money toward a foolish lawsuit.
> Why don't all you people go do something
> productive like run for school board?

Posted by: Sign Me Up ()
Date: May 22, 2008 06:42PM

pennies for students, not CAPS Wrote:
> Edna,
>
> You seem to think that giving money to FairfaxCAPS
> is the same as giving money to FCPS students. You
> couldn't be more wrong.
>
> Every time I read these requests for money sent to
> CAPS I wonder about you people. Better to go
> support your local PTA by buying some fundraising
> product.
>
> Not throwing my money toward a foolish lawsuit.
> Why don't all you people go do something
> productive like run for school board?

Uh, that would be a three-year wait. Better to have CAPS support a Stuart Gibson recall, so there's an election before 2011, than spend money on a lawsuit.

Posted by: south lakes photos ()
Date: May 22, 2008 07:04PM

South Lakes needed renovation and more natural light. If the big cafeteria doors were a problem, it could have been fixed just like if you have double doors on your house and fill the opening with sidelights and a regular door. I liked those big doors. Looking at photos it appears the floor was dug out and I see clear evidence of additional square footage. FCPS could have added square footage and decreased overall capacity based on educational uses and specifications. Why add square footage? What was the purpose of the big dig?
Attachments:
sl.JPG

Posted by: where is the gibson recall? ()
Date: May 22, 2008 07:05PM

Where is it?

Sign Me Up Wrote:
> pennies for students, not CAPS Wrote:
> -----
> > Edna,
> >
> > You seem to think that giving money to
> FairfaxCAPS
> > is the same as giving money to FCPS students.
> You
> > couldn't be more wrong.
> >
> > Every time I read these requests for money sent
> to
> > CAPS I wonder about you people. Better to go
> > support your local PTA by buying some
> fundraising
> > product.
> >
> > Not throwing my money toward a foolish lawsuit.
>
> > Why don't all you people go do something
> > productive like run for school board?
>
> Uh, that would be a three-year wait. Better to
> have CAPS support a Stuart Gibson recall, so
> there's an election before 2011, than spend money
> on a lawsuit.

Pages: PreviousFirst...147148149150151152153154155156157...LastNext
Current Page: 152 of 189

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.