HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 189
Re: high school redistricting
Date: December 02, 2007 05:43PM

"f they were smart, since they will probably be moved anyway, they would be joining efforts to make sure that the outcome is to their liking (e.g., their wish that Crossfield or part of Floris would come with)."

They are joining efforts in support of Option 1. I plan on abstaining from supporting any option, although we'll see how much good that does those of us who object to the screwed up way this is being done.In the end, my plans for non-violent protest might be crushed, and I'll feel forced to make a choice, but I prefer not to. To use the phrase of a few weeks ago, I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, although I wouldn't mind that much seeing Langley go ballistic if it were part of one of the options. Can you imagine? "I paid 5 million $$ for this house and my kids are going WHERE to high school?" I say extend the SL boundary across Rt. 7 and watch the fun!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imabulldog ()
Date: December 02, 2007 05:47PM

foxmill/carson/oakton parent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "f they were smart, since they will probably be
> moved anyway, they would be joining efforts to
> make sure that the outcome is to their liking
> (e.g., their wish that Crossfield or part of
> Floris would come with)."
>
> They are joining efforts in support of Option 1. I
> plan on abstaining from supporting any option,
> although we'll see how much good that does those
> of us who object to the screwed up way this is
> being done.In the end, my plans for non-violent
> protest might be crushed, and I'll feel forced to
> make a choice, but I prefer not to. To use the
> phrase of a few weeks ago, I don't want to throw
> anyone under the bus, although I wouldn't mind
> that much seeing Langley go ballistic if it were
> part of one of the options. Can you imagine? "I
> paid 5 million $$ for this house and my kids are
> going WHERE to high school?" I say extend the SL
> boundary across Rt. 7 and watch the fun!

...Wow. I do think Langley should be in this study, though. Of course the county isn't going to include them. :/

Posted by: WestfieldMom ()
Date: December 02, 2007 05:50PM

>
> And, what do you mean, exactly, by "sacrifice?" We
> are not asking the kids who now benefit from your
> high schools to sacrifice anything. They will stay
> put. We are asking for enrollment from kids who
> haven't even gone to high school yet -- and who
> are going to have to work to retain friends from
> their current school no matter where they go.

I personally mean sacrifice as our neighborhood is spliced into yet another high school. People are still pupil placing their kids into Oakton after the last redistricting when Westfield opened and they wanted our kids as "filler" for the new school. Families were split between two high schools. Some families will now get to experience 3 high schools while living in the same home, since our kids are now wanted as filler for South Lakes. Then there will be more development in Reston. South Lakes will get too full and they will notice that we don't live in Reston. We'll probably be needed to fill up Herndon by the time my next kid hits high school.

If my 8th grader is forced to go to South Lakes next year, he will miss the one year he could be in the same school with his brother. He will miss being with the kids a year of two older from our community. He will also miss the Honors and AP courses. He has been going to Westfield events for the last 3 years. He has never even see South Lakes.

Community and family are important to us even though they mean nothing to FCPS.

Date: December 02, 2007 05:55PM

WestfieldMom Wrote:
> I personally mean sacrifice as our neighborhood is
> spliced into yet another high school. People are
> still pupil placing their kids into Oakton after
> the last redistricting when Westfield opened and
> they wanted our kids as "filler" for the new
> school. Families were split between two high
> schools. Some families will now get to experience
> 3 high schools while living in the same home,
> since our kids are now wanted as filler for South
> Lakes. Then there will be more development in
> Reston. South Lakes will get too full and they
> will notice that we don't live in Reston. We'll
> probably be needed to fill up Herndon by the time
> my next kid hits high school.

Yeah, for some reason they just keep on picking on our area of the county. It's not fair and it's not right. Langley kids would be perfectly suitable as a "filler" for South Lakes and Herndon, so why aren't they involved in the study? I still don't think anyone should be moved, but it's sickening how they keep picking on this one area.

Date: December 02, 2007 05:56PM

Oh, another thing that FME parents are worried about is that we will lose Carson next. If Fox Mill is the only complete school to go to SL, would we then move to Hughes in a few years? Even parents who can accept SL (if there are any left)don't want to trade Carson for Hughes.

Date: December 02, 2007 05:59PM

> Oh, another thing that FME parents are worried
> about is that we will lose Carson next. If Fox
> Mill is the only complete school to go to SL,
> would we then move to Hughes in a few years? Even
> parents who can accept SL (if there are any
> left)don't want to trade Carson for Hughes.

I don't think they'd lose Carson since someone said in this earlier that the county isn't looking to redistrict middleschool. However, Carson would become a worse feeder than it right now since it'd then potentially feed to Chantilly, Westfield, Oakton, South Lakes, Herndon and TJ (for those who get in).

Posted by: SubmissiveWiiRNot ()
Date: December 02, 2007 05:59PM

> "f they were smart, since they will probably be
> moved anyway, they would be joining efforts to
> make sure that the outcome is to their liking
> (e.g., their wish that Crossfield or part of
> Floris would come with)."
>
> They are joining efforts in support of Option 1.

So I guess Fox Mill doesn't want the McNair kids either. AS you said earlier, "Poor McNair, it seems that no one is eager to have those kids."

Since FM moves in two out of 4 scenarios, wouldn't they be smarter to support a modified Option 2 or 3, with FM + East Floris coming to SL? They have a greater chance of winning that scenario.

Date: December 02, 2007 06:00PM

SubmissiveWiiRNot Wrote:
> foxmill/carson/oakton parent Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "f they were smart, since they will probably be
> > moved anyway, they would be joining efforts to
> > make sure that the outcome is to their liking
> > (e.g., their wish that Crossfield or part of
> > Floris would come with)."
> >
> > They are joining efforts in support of Option 1.
>
>
> So I guess Fox Mill doesn't want the McNair kids
> either. AS you said earlier, "Poor McNair, it
> seems that no one is eager to have those kids."
>
> Since FM moves in two out of 4 scenarios, wouldn't
> they be smarter to support a modified Option 2 or
> 3, with FM + East Floris coming to SL? They have
> a greater chance of winning that scenario.

If they have to redistrict, they'd be better off keeping all of the Carson kids together and just redistrict all of them.

Date: December 02, 2007 06:03PM

imabulldog Wrote:
> SubmissiveWiiRNot Wrote:

>
> If they have to redistrict, they'd be better off
> keeping all of the Carson kids together and just
> redistrict all of them.

I agree, though we'd have to run the numbers.

Posted by: Clarifier ()
Date: December 02, 2007 06:04PM

Westfield Mom: Why don't you let your son, who hasn't "even seen" South Lakes, go there a couple times? I assume, to be fair, that you have seen it? Just a thought.

I do sympathize with multiple changes -- Were any of your kids sent from one high school to another? That would be upsetting.

I believe this: Because there is an immediate need and an immediate opportunity for South Lakes, we support redistricting NOW for this corner of the world. But given the comments on this thread, and the momentum, perhaps we should all join together to fight for a better boundary process for the future for the entire county. I think we would have mutual agreement on many points on that score.

Correction: I don't see Mosby Woods on the most recent Title I list. Only McNair, Hutchison, and Dogwood. My question hasn't been answered really. Is it fair to send McNair to schools that already have a Title I school, and that have FRL kids from a level of subsidized housing that doesn't exist in the other pyramids?

I know the problem with subsidized housing issue is historically because the Board of Supervisors kept allowing it to happen here in the north, and denying it where it made sense around metro stops, but that doesn't mean we can't balance things out a little and as best we can NOW.

Date: December 02, 2007 06:08PM

SubmissiveWiiRNot Wrote:
> imabulldog Wrote:
> -----
> > SubmissiveWiiRNot Wrote:
> >
>
>
> >
> > If they have to redistrict, they'd be better
> off
> > keeping all of the Carson kids together and
> just
> > redistrict all of them.
>
> I agree, though we'd have to run the numbers.

Carson has about 1200 kids overall, so about 600 kids in 8th grade and 600 kids in 7th grade. If the county decided to redistrict anyone that goes to Carson, they should keep them together. I'm still opposed to redistricting as a whole, but I'm saying that if they county has to do it and they decide to take from the Carson district, they should bump them all together instead of splittling them, causing the feeder to worsen.

Date: December 02, 2007 06:11PM

Sub wrote:
"Since FM moves in two out of 4 scenarios, wouldn't they be smarter to support a modified Option 2 or 3, with FM + East Floris coming to SL? They have a greater chance of winning that scenario."

Hmm -- If all of McNair could go to Westfield under this scenario, then wouldn't Carson go to the same number of high schools as now? And we'd unite McNair. Maybe Navy could be united, too, and go to Oakton to make up for FM. A few families in Floris would be redistricted yet again -- I understand -- but the total result would be the fewest disruptons for the greatest benefit.

Date: December 02, 2007 06:16PM

Clarifier Wrote:
> Sub wrote:
> "Since FM moves in two out of 4 scenarios,
> wouldn't they be smarter to support a modified
> Option 2 or 3, with FM + East Floris coming to SL?
> They have a greater chance of winning that
> scenario."
>
> Hmm -- If all of McNair could go to Westfield
> under this scenario, then wouldn't Carson go to
> the same number of high schools as now? And we'd
> unite McNair. Maybe Navy could be united, too, and
> go to Oakton to make up for FM. A few families in
> Floris would be redistricted yet again -- I
> understand -- but the total result would be the
> fewest disruptons for the greatest benefit.

Option 3 as it is now out of all of the options makes the most sense. It moves the students who are closest to the schools into their districts, aside from Navy who is united in this option by part of the Navy district getting redistricted from Chantilly to Oakton. That would cause the fewest disruptions in all of the options.

Posted by: oakton kid ()
Date: December 02, 2007 06:17PM

There is no way my parents will let me to to South Lakes. no way, it is not a good school. I know my parents are furious, on the phone with all the neighbors. Everyone here is ready for a big showdown tomorrow. I might go, maybe. Its so upsetting to see my parents so angry, but I agree with them. i wouldn't want to go to South lakes. Like my parents said, if they wanted us to go there, they would have bought a house there. And, we know some people who do live there, but they send their kids to private schools because SL is not a good school.

Date: December 02, 2007 06:22PM

Oakton Kid: I'm sorry, but I have to wonder if your parents' virulence has infected you. How do you really KNOW it's "not a good school?" Really know? Apart from minor score differentials and rankings that reasonable adults know to be quite flawed when it comes to telling the whole story -- and that really are minor differentials?

Did you know, for example, that South Lakes "ranks" in the top 2.5% of all schools in the US?

Date: December 02, 2007 06:24PM

oakton kid Wrote:
> There is no way my parents will let me to to South
> Lakes. no way, it is not a good school. I know my
> parents are furious, on the phone with all the
> neighbors. Everyone here is ready for a big
> showdown tomorrow. I might go, maybe. Its so
> upsetting to see my parents so angry, but I agree
> with them. i wouldn't want to go to South lakes.
> Like my parents said, if they wanted us to go
> there, they would have bought a house there. And,
> we know some people who do live there, but they
> send their kids to private schools because SL is
> not a good school.

Do you already go to Oakton? If so, you won't be moved. Lots of parents choose private school. Even parents in the Oakton district choose private school. That does not mean Oakton is bad, just that they choose private education over public.

I would not judge SL if you have never visited. Both of my kids loved South Lakes and both go to very highly ranked colleges. If you and your parents take a look, you might just find out that it's not as bad as you think.

Date: December 02, 2007 06:26PM

Oakton kid - I know you've heard bad rumors about South Lakes, so have I (I go to Westfield, we probably went to middleschool together, you and me). I don't think it's a bad school, though. I know your parents are scared and just want the best for you, but they really have to look at this situation from every point of view before deciding on what's necessarily "bad" and what's necessarily "good". However, you should come to the meeting tomorrow to show that you are involved and aware of this because the redistricting directly affects you, not your parents.

Posted by: PAL ()
Date: December 02, 2007 06:26PM

Carson has about 1200 students. SLHS needs approx 600 students and leave open 150 buffer spots for local growth.

Date: December 02, 2007 06:28PM

imabulldog Wrote:
>
> Option 3 as it is now out of all of the options
> makes the most sense. It moves the students who
> are closest to the schools into their districts,
> aside from Navy who is united in this option by
> part of the Navy district getting redistricted
> from Chantilly to Oakton. That would cause the
> fewest disruptions in all of the options.

Why do we have to accept any of these options in total? Each could be modified slightly to please more people.

Date: December 02, 2007 06:30PM

PAL Wrote:
> Carson has about 1200 students. SLHS needs approx
> 600 students and leave open 150 buffer spots for
> local growth.

Though I think 150 is a little high, considering that Reston is built out, except for the Town Center area, which is not a family area.

Posted by: navyes ()
Date: December 02, 2007 06:30PM

Clarifier Wrote:
> What do you think about UNITING schools,
> finally, under some scenarios? Say, Navy? And
> keeping McNair together and in their current
> school? Would you be willing to trade two unitings
> for one split?

I think the whole "UNITING Navy" is ridiculous. Take a look at those boundaries. That boundary is 1/4 of a mile from Chantilly. Why would anyone take students who walk to Chantilly and bus them over 9 miles to Oakton? How about uniting Navy at Chantilly, since more students go there than Oakton. Regarding the McNair split, let's face it that's where the new Coppermine ES is going to come from McNair and Floris.

Date: December 02, 2007 06:32PM

PAL - Yes, Carson has 1200 students, with about 600 per grade. So, if they do redistrict anywhere from the Carson district, I'd suggest keeping them together in order to attempt to eliminate the split feeder. I'm not exactly sure how many kids Franklin has, but they shouldn't be split in this process either.

SubmissiveWiiRNot - We don't. I'm just saying, without modifications, that option makes the most sense. Who knows if the county will opt to modify these options, anyway?

Date: December 02, 2007 06:58PM

Navyes:

"I think the whole "UNITING Navy" is ridiculous. Take a look at those boundaries. That boundary is 1/4 of a mile from Chantilly. Why would anyone take students who walk to Chantilly and bus them over 9 miles to Oakton? How about uniting Navy at Chantilly, since more students go there than Oakton. Regarding the McNair split, let's face it that's where the new Coppermine ES is going to come from McNair and Floris."

It seems that some at Fox Mill are fine with busing them 10 miles to Oakton instead of 3- miles to South Lakes.

Wondering, though, does anybody at Navy want to unite that school? If not, is it simply because of proximity to Chantilly? If not, is it because they're OK with a split feeder? If so, then why are other parents so anxious about split feeders?

Date: December 02, 2007 07:02PM

High Schoolers: You WILL NOT be sent to South Lakes. You will be grandfathered in. If this affects you, it's probably because you have a wonderful sense of family and want to make sure your kid brothers and sisters get to have the great experiences you had at your school. I think that's commendable.

Posted by: iambulldog ()
Date: December 02, 2007 07:08PM

Clarifier Wrote:
> High Schoolers: You WILL NOT be sent to South
> Lakes. You will be grandfathered in. If this
> affects you, it's probably because you have a
> wonderful sense of family and want to make sure
> your kid brothers and sisters get to have the
> great experiences you had at your school. I think
> that's commendable.

That's why I'm against it - for my brother. I want him to have the same opportunity I did, and be able to experience the same kind of high school situation I currently am, along with his current friends.

Date: December 02, 2007 07:09PM

Bulldog: Would you be ok with him being pupil-placed so he can have this?

Posted by: Parent Pissed ()
Date: December 02, 2007 07:17PM

What the hell is going on here?

Forget the STUpid options. This entire redistricting process has been a joke. If it proceeds it will benefit a few people while harming alot of others. The board members who own property in the area will gain financially, while the rest of us lose.

This has nothing to do with helping the children going to South Lakes, because, it WON'T help the kids at South Lakes. What an absolute pack of lies.

South Lakes, go home and educate your kids. School board liars and crooks, keep your dirty, stinking hands off my kids. You rotten crooks.

Date: December 02, 2007 07:21PM

Clarifier Wrote:
> Bulldog: Would you be ok with him being
> pupil-placed so he can have this?

With me being pupil-placed or for him to be pupil-placed? Well, personally, my brother wouldn't ask me to leave Westfield, and if any pupil placement happened in my family, he'd be the one to have it happen to. I wouldn't have a problem driving him to school if the county won't let him ride the bus, just as long as he was going to the school that he wants to go, whether it be South Lakes or Westfield. However, if we don't get redistricted, then he'd be going to Westfield anyway. If we do get redistricted, he'd be going to South Lakes with his friends unless he decided he wanted to go to Westfield with his other friends, in which case I'd drive him. However, all kids that could be affected by this and that have older siblings at Westfield, Chantilly, and Oakton probably all won't get pupil placement depending on how the lines get redrawn. It just depends how the county decides to draw the lines, and that affects my brother's decision.

Date: December 02, 2007 07:26PM

Bulldog: If your brother goes to South Lakes, he goes with his neighborhood and Carson friends...Maybe not all of them, but he wouldn't go with all of them anyway. I know you probably wanted him to be in school with you, but don't you think he could make a new and different and successful high school life for himself at any school? Why does he have to follow in your footsteps? My two boys went to different high schools. They kept many MS friends, and, in fact, my youngest son made good friends with the friends of his older brother -- at a different school! The two have their own wonderful unique experiences and the two have wonderful joint experiences.

BTW, if anyone would like the rationale -- yet again -- for having more kids at South Lakes, preferably middle-class so as not to further disadvantage current FRL kids, and why it would benefit the school and the county without harming any families, please go back to some earlier posts. But we can address it again if people need to hear it.

Posted by: collegeboy ()
Date: December 02, 2007 07:27PM

Thanks god i'm out of sl!!!!! Well, at least Mr. Butler is trying to do the right thing: Get rid of bad students (wanna be gangsters, drug dealers) and teachers (Mr. Donovan, a teacher who sold drugs to a seniors students; Mr. Keating, a teacher who had dirty pictures in his pc and who is white and likes African-American teenage girls; Mr.Holmes who was excessive flirting with the studnets.)

Posted by: PAL ()
Date: December 02, 2007 07:28PM

Navyes,
Preventing split feeders at the elementary school level was a huge concern because elemenary boundaries "most" define true communities. Sure there are exceptions but citizens did not want the school board to split up neighborhoods. Again, this was a priority for the clear majority thru the many sessions leading up to the Nov. 12 meeting. I do think they took this into consideration with the exception of Floris...but as if "west Floris" goes to Coppermine then ultimately these four scenarios have no split feeders.

I do not recall split feeder middle schools being mentioned as a concern. Many of these early concerns are reflected on the Nov 12 meeting notes available on the FCPS web site.

Date: December 02, 2007 07:30PM

Clarifier Wrote:
> Bulldog: If your brother goes to South Lakes, he
> goes with his neighborhood and Carson
> friends...Maybe not all of them, but he wouldn't
> go with all of them anyway. I know you probably
> wanted him to be in school with you, but don't you
> think he could make a new and different and
> successful high school life for himself at any
> school? Why does he have to follow in your
> footsteps? My two boys went to different high
> schools. They kept many MS friends, and, in fact,
> my youngest son made good friends with the friends
> of his older brother -- at a different school! The
> two have their own wonderful unique experiences
> and the two have wonderful joint experiences.
>
> BTW, if anyone would like the rationale -- yet
> again -- for having more kids at South Lakes,
> preferably middle-class so as not to further
> disadvantage current FRL kids, and why it would
> benefit the school and the county without harming
> any families, please go back to some earlier
> posts. But we can address it again if people need
> to hear it.

I didn't say he had to go to the same high school as I did, I said I wanted him to have the opportunity to be in the same situation I currently am. That would be, going to a high school where some of my friends from middleschool are. That's why I said it depends on how the lines are redrawn and which of my brother's friends get redistricted and which don't for his decision in attending a high school to be formed. If a lot of his friends are going to South Lakes, and he chooses to go there, fine that's his decision. If his friends are split, and he's redistricted, and for some reason chooses to go to Westfield, I'd step in and drive him there and back everyday.

Date: December 02, 2007 07:35PM

imabulldog quotes ( only 3 of many many many today and this evening.)

Carson has about 1200 kids overall, so about 600 kids in 8th grade and 600 kids in 7th grade. If the county decided to redistrict anyone that goes to Carson, they should keep them together. I'm still opposed to redistricting as a whole, but I'm saying that if they county has to do it and they decide to take from the Carson district, they should bump them all together instead of splittling them, causing the feeder to worsen.

I don't think they'd lose Carson since someone said in this earlier that the county isn't looking to redistrict middleschool. However, Carson would become a worse feeder than it right now since it'd then potentially feed to Chantilly, Westfield, Oakton, South Lakes, Herndon and TJ (for those who get in).

Option 3 as it is now out of all of the options makes the most sense. It moves the students who are closest to the schools into their districts, aside from Navy who is united in this option by part of the Navy district getting redistricted from Chantilly to Oakton. That would cause the fewest disruptions in all of the options.

###

Bulldog, so you're a kid just sitting home doing your homework while gazing up at this forum and posting your thoughts. Can't imagine how you're getting too much homework done, with all this posting and researching.....

Posted by: VaDriver ()
Date: December 02, 2007 07:39PM

Wow, the South Lakes people are really busy here!!!

See all of you tomorrow! Behave.....that means no ganging up. Opps...didn't mean to say gang!

Moratorium, YES.

Date: December 02, 2007 07:39PM

Parent Pissed Wrote:
> imabulldog quotes ( only 3 of many many many
> today and this evening.)
>
> Carson has about 1200 kids overall, so about 600
> kids in 8th grade and 600 kids in 7th grade. If
> the county decided to redistrict anyone that goes
> to Carson, they should keep them together. I'm
> still opposed to redistricting as a whole, but I'm
> saying that if they county has to do it and they
> decide to take from the Carson district, they
> should bump them all together instead of
> splittling them, causing the feeder to worsen.
>
>
> I don't think they'd lose Carson since someone
> said in this earlier that the county isn't looking
> to redistrict middleschool. However, Carson would
> become a worse feeder than it right now since it'd
> then potentially feed to Chantilly, Westfield,
> Oakton, South Lakes, Herndon and TJ (for those who
> get in).
>
>
> Option 3 as it is now out of all of the options
> makes the most sense. It moves the students who
> are closest to the schools into their districts,
> aside from Navy who is united in this option by
> part of the Navy district getting redistricted
> from Chantilly to Oakton. That would cause the
> fewest disruptions in all of the options.
>
> ###
>
> Bulldog, so you're a kid just sitting home doing
> your homework while gazing up at this forum and
> posting your thoughts. Can't imagine how you're
> getting too much homework done, with all this
> posting and researching.....

I didn't have to research most of it, I already knew that information considering the fact that I've been paying attention to this whole redistricting issue since it began back when I wasn't even in high school. It's acquired over the years, of course.

Personally, I'm quite a good multi-tasker, and I have been getting all of my homework done. However, my homework is not your concern, it's mine. I'm currently in the midst of writing AP world papers, if you'd like to know.

Date: December 02, 2007 07:45PM

bulldog, I think you are full of shit.

Date: December 02, 2007 07:47PM

Parent Pissed Wrote:
> bulldog, I think you are full of shit.

Then why are you talking to me, eh? Do you honestly have nothing better to do than to single out high school students since you obviously aren't being considerate of their opinions?

Date: December 02, 2007 07:55PM

imabulldog Wrote:
> Parent Pissed Wrote:
> -----
> > bulldog, I think you are full of shit.
>
> Then why are you talking to me, eh? Do you
> honestly have nothing better to do than to single
> out high school students since you obviously
> aren't being considerate of their opinions?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you have fun today South Lakes?

What a fraud.....one of many to come!!

At least, on the bright side....this one wasn't illegal.

Date: December 02, 2007 07:55PM

VADriver:

ha, 'ganging up'

Date: December 02, 2007 07:58PM

At least I'm not being negative toward anyone, Parent Pissed. I don't care what you say, it's your opinion. You should have the decency to respect other peoples opinions.

Date: December 02, 2007 08:02PM

Bulldog. Bullshit.

You are not a high school student.

Date: December 02, 2007 08:04PM

PP: We at South Lakes have students who are as knowledgable and write as eloquently as Bulldog, so please don't make assumptions.

Date: December 02, 2007 08:07PM

Parent Pissed Wrote:
> Bulldog. Bullshit.
>
> You are not a high school student.

Uh, I definitely am a high school student. Just because I'm not being ridiculous or saying vulgar things like some parents think high school students would do on something like this, doesn't mean I'm not one. How else would I know that there are 3 entrances to the cafeteria at Westfield, and 2 (two sets of doors on either side of it) into the gym, like I said in one of my statements?

Date: December 02, 2007 08:15PM

Clarifier Wrote:
> PP: We at South Lakes have students who are as
> knowledgable and write as eloquently as Bulldog,
> so please don't make assumptions.

Thank you, by the way. More students should be involved in this issue, anyway, no matter what school they go to - their opinions deserve to be heard.

Posted by: 22180 ()
Date: December 02, 2007 08:20PM

Just a point of clarification on whether or not Mosby Woods counts as a Title I school feeding Oakton HS. The reason Mosby Woods isn't listed as a Title I school any more is that FCPS did a boundary study a few years back, announced that Mosby Woods was a GT center, built a large modular out behind the school, and imported GT students from Vienna and Fairfax City. The influx of middle class students dropped the school below the percentage-based cutoff for Title I designation, but the number of low-income kids hasn't really changed much.

Only the kids who live in the base school boundary for Mosby Woods will continue on to Oakton. The GT kids from Fairfax City and Vienna go back to Fairfax HS and Madison. So even though Mosby Woods isn't listed as a Title I school anymore, it still sends pretty much the same demographic mix to Oakton.

Posted by: Oakton Kid ()
Date: December 02, 2007 08:24PM

Clarifier.

Here is what I know. south Lakes is a bad school. Newsweek put South Lakes at 859 out of 1351. Oakton was 103 on that list. My parents and nieghbors say you are using us. I can see what they mean.

Posted by: Pissed Parent ()
Date: December 02, 2007 08:31PM

Here you are again, BullShit Dog,

Okay... well, the "Eliminate Attendance Islands" obviously isn't met in Option #1 since Madison Island isn't getting redistricted in that option. 'Eliminates or Reduces Split Feeders'... actually, all of the scenarios except for Option #3 make the feeder schools worse than they currently are. As for the other things listed on the criteria, I can see the logic behind them, but I can also see oppositions for them.

Tommy, great acting, NOT

Posted by: Charger Mom ()
Date: December 02, 2007 08:32PM

I've been following posts for quite awhile now and we've finally gotten around to some thought provoking questions about the distance kids travel. I believe that SLHS kids deserve the same chances as other kids but I've got problems with scenarios that triple or quintuple the distance students commute to high school. My CHS student is 2.4 miles from school and yet 2 options send my rising freshman 5.5 miles out rte 50W to WHS and another sends my child 10.10 miles on I-66 to OHS. For these reasons I believe even more than ever that the study is flawed. No students' transportation times and distance should increase to backfill schools. We need a better comprehensive study so that we do this right not fast. Change will happen it will be painful but what concerns me is It appears that because FCPS appears to be focused on one primary goal they've lost sight of the big picture.

Date: December 02, 2007 08:37PM

Pissed Parent Wrote:
> Here you are again, BullShit Dog,
>
> Okay... well, the "Eliminate Attendance Islands"
> obviously isn't met in Option #1 since Madison
> Island isn't getting redistricted in that option.
> 'Eliminates or Reduces Split Feeders'... actually,
> all of the scenarios except for Option #3 make the
> feeder schools worse than they currently are. As
> for the other things listed on the criteria, I can
> see the logic behind them, but I can also see
> oppositions for them.
>
> Tommy, great acting, NOT

Uh, I did say that even though it's true? Madison Island isn't involved in the first option, and feeders DO get worse in each of the scenarios. What are you getting at?

Who's Tommy?

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: December 02, 2007 08:38PM

i think mosby got a gtcenter so it lost title 1 money. did anyone add up the numbers on the scenarios? i did and it seems the counts for 2012 for floris are incorrect on scenario 4 ...yet the maps match.

If this is an error, it is distressing that it would occur at all in a major piece of work distributed to the public. also, when you look at the cip and trailer counts, why are they exceeding numbers at schools where trailers are in place for 2012?

private school, gt center, etc might be excluded. Westfield is supposed to be reduced for a large academy but the numbers vary by about 200. Confusing and insulting.

Posted by: SLgirl917 ()
Date: December 02, 2007 08:42PM

I have been reading this thread from time to time on Sunday nights and I was horrified by this post by collegeboy:

Thanks god i'm out of sl!!!!! Well, at least Mr. Butler is trying to do the right thing: Get rid of bad students (wanna be gangsters, drug dealers) and teachers (Mr. Donovan, a teacher who sold drugs to a seniors students; Mr. Keating, a teacher who had dirty pictures in his pc and who is white and likes African-American teenage girls; Mr.Holmes who was excessive flirting with the studnets.)

I am on the South Lakes Cross Country and Indoor Track team, so Mr. Donovan was my Cross Country coach for my freshmen and sophomore year and Mr. Holmes was my track coach for both of those years as well. I knew them both and niether of these descriptions fit them (I never knew Mr. Keating though). Coach Donovan took the Varsity girls to New York and all of the girls team to West Virginia and there were no drugs involved (not any mention of them). There is also a rule that the coach cannot leave until all of athletes have left, and I was among one of the last people to leave on most of the days. I knew him very well, and he does not do or sell drugs. I was very upset when I found out that he wasn't being allowed to coach this season. As for Coach Holmes, I also knew him fairly well and he never flirted with me or anyone on the team. When he worked at the school in the special ed department, people frequently went up to him in the hallways because he was a popular coach and a really funny person. Coach Holmes was building up the indoor track program; we had a sponsorship from Puma and six runners compete in the Nike indoor National meet. He is an amazing person and there was a reason why the team was upset when they found out that he was no longer coaching us.

This post also gives a very bad picture of South Lakes. I have never seen any drugs at South Lakes in over two years or had any problems with the teachers. I have been having a great experience at South Lakes and I am very glad that I chose not to apply to TJ.

As for the meeting tomorrow, I cannot go because my dad will be out of town and my mom does not want to drive that far at night, but I know that South Lakes will be represented as well.

Posted by: imaseahawk ()
Date: December 02, 2007 08:42PM

There's a rumor going around our school; I just thought I would warn everyone that a rather large group of gang members and affiliates from the community plan to attend the boundary meeting tomorrow, so BEWARE!!!!!

Apparently they will be disguised as middle-aged, irate adults, but they will still "represent" by wearing their colors, as expected. I think you can identify these potential threats by their double-parked SUVs and code-language that manifests as mutterances about "Stu Gibson." FYI: That means they're about to jump someone. Thank me later.

Posted by: navyes ()
Date: December 02, 2007 08:43PM

Clarifier Wrote:
>
> Wondering, though, does anybody at Navy want to
> unite that school? If not, is it simply because of
> proximity to Chantilly? If not, is it because
> they're OK with a split feeder? If so, then why
> are other parents so anxious about split feeders?

These have been Navy's HS boundaries for many years. Most are fine with it, or really don't give it much thought, since no neighborhoods are actually split. Navy ES draws from over 10 different subdivisions and its boundaries are pretty irregular. So it's not necessarily a "neighborhood" issue. I think some families, while they are in elementary school, like the idea of "uniting", but then realize once they get to middle school that it doesn't really matter that much.

Posted by: Oakton Parent ()
Date: December 02, 2007 09:02PM

One note about moving a whole middle school, e.g. Carson...

Carson has around 600 students in each grade. If it was moved to feed one high school, it would more than fill up one standard size high school all by itself with the 600 * 4 = 2400 students it would supply

In order to add 600 students to South Lakes, they need about 150 / grade. That's about two elementary schools, or a fraction of a middle school. This means the redistricting will split at least one middle school more than that school already is split.

Date: December 02, 2007 09:03PM

Today's math problem:

851 is what percent of 18,000+ public high schools?

So maybe I was off -- a little.

To bandy about rankings like this with any credibility means having a full understanding of the criteria and their limitations. The Newsweek rankings have been challenged. So have the new USN&WR rankings. And neither report purports to address all the important criteria for choosing a school -- they themselves admit it. No one has them right.

But if you want to go to a school solely based on these rankings, be my guest. You'd end up in TJ (lotas luck; it was ranked #1 by Jay Matthews, go figure -- as if it were not an elite and selective school as was fully 5% of all his "top" schools) or in Texas.

Posted by: truth seeker ()
Date: December 02, 2007 09:04PM

Original email sent and unedited response from Mr. Butler:

Dear anonymous citizen - Thanks for your message and questions. I personally do not advocate that anyone use cyber posts such as the "underground" because one never knows who is who and what is real; they also foster the morally vacant opportunity for people of all ages to attack others without personal accountability for their statements Obviously no one at SLHS or at any school in our area advocates that student use instructional time to send blog postings. If you think this issue is unique to SLHS than you are mis-informed. Every high school in FCPS struggles with a set of very bright and tech savvy students that desire to use technology resources for their own interests as opposed to those of their instructors. What kids do while home sick I have little influence over.

You jump to some giant and unfair assumptions regarding what I or our faculty actually condone. Your message tonight is the first I have heard about this concern. Is it possible that several of my 120 teachers told their students (who had finished their work) that they could continue to work on computers? Yes it is. Is it possible that when teachers see kids typing and composing that they may not know that it is in response to a blog question? Yes it is. Is it possible that a very caring and professional teacher would permit a student to respond to a fair question about their school? Yes it is possible, especially in light of the inaccurate and racist invective that has surfaced in the last month from adults that have never set foot in our building. Have I asked students to do so? I never have and never will.

My guess is that the postings are coming from classes that are technology driven in which students spend the entire 90 minute block on a computer.

I truly do not understand your "shame" statements, such a strong condemnation of our kids, my entire faculty, and me personally, does not seem to fit with the students' untimely communication. I do thank you for letting me know that some kids are responding to the blogs at inappropriate times. I will do everything I can to prevent this beginning tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to write, I recommend that you visit our school and spend some time with our teachers and students. Observing our faculty and students will provide you with a much more accurate perception of our daily instructional life as opposed to the generalizations you have drawn from the day time postings of a handful of students. Thanks

Bruce Butler
Principal
South Lakes High School

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:29 PM
To: Butler, Bruce A
Subject:

Dear Sir,

I am wondering if you are aware that you have a number of students who are posting on the Fairfax Underground url throughout the entire school day.

These "students" post under the names of SLHS Contra-Slander, JaZZy Jeff, SL Student N, Emily, JF920, Katy, Leanne, Stephanie, staced (and the list goes on). I invite you to see for yourself by visiting the high school redistricting thread on http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/. For ease, start at the last page and work backward from there.

These students claim that teachers are encouraging them to do this and that they have the right to do this, especially after they have completed their work at school. Some of these posters also claim "to be sick" and are at home, so they can do whatever they want. That is probably true. But let me ask you, is this what you advocate your students do during the school day?

What are parents to think when teachers and or a principal actually condone this activity during the school hours on school computers?

What are taxpayers to think? What about prospective students and families who have been caught up in this boundary study?

This type of activity completely unravels all of the PR work you and your PTSA have undertaken in an effort to relieve concerns about redistricting. If these activities are in fact those of your students, then shame on them and shame on you. Students should do this on their own time (probably not at home sick) on their own computers. And if these students desire to upkeep their school's reputation (which is the reason they claim they must post during the school day, at teacher's request), I would suggest that this is not the appropriate forum or manner.

If this is indeed your students, please put a stop to this and if you can't then I will ask the FCPS IT department to get involved.

Thank you,
A concerned Fairfax County Citizen and Parent.

Posted by: brian ()
Date: December 02, 2007 09:08PM

bulldog, you just need to realize that adults dont think students are capable of speaking in a calm, on-point manner.

why do you think for the most part, adults can't muster negative responses to either of us? it is because we are right. at least you get the thought-provoking discussions; i am given the cold shoulder because i support the process

Posted by: CHS Parent ()
Date: December 02, 2007 09:08PM

Navy has no strong movement to be united to Oakton as the earlier posts have stated WE ARE VERY HAPPY WHERE WE ARE...there are so many neighorhoods, it seems both sides are fine with the split ....those of us who go on to Chantilly are very happy with that. Our kids are doing great at CHS. The teachers and staff are wonderful. Our kids don't have to take a bus at 6:15. We want to stay where we are.

We understand the other high schools are very good - we are just very happy with our great high school community and don't want to leave or split our families to two different high schools.

Date: December 02, 2007 09:09PM

Ooops. Math problem is really percent that 851 is of 27,500 high schools.

Date: December 02, 2007 09:17PM

brian Wrote:
> bulldog, you just need to realize that adults dont
> think students are capable of speaking in a calm,
> on-point manner.
>
> why do you think for the most part, adults can't
> muster negative responses to either of us? it is
> because we are right. at least you get the
> thought-provoking discussions; i am given the cold
> shoulder because i support the process

Hah, I guess you're somewhat right. That's sort of funny, considering the fact that the students are the ones that are directly affected by any means of redistricting, and we're discussing calmly, whereas some parents aren't. I've gotten negative responses, too, but not necessarily the cold shoulder... it's understandable that you support the process, may I ask where you attend high school?

Oh golly, another correction to my earlier post (I'm not sure how to go back and edit) -- Jay Matthews admitted that 20%, not 5% of the top schools are selective -- that is, that you have to meet academic standards to get in -- so they aren't, in fact, "public."

Posted by: The Real Truth Seeker ()
Date: December 02, 2007 09:24PM

Truth Seeker,

I have no idea why you re-posted that Mr. Butler thing. Weird. But, ok........
You must have missed where the real Mr. Butler responded to the fake.

The Real Mr. Butler (IP Logged)
Date: November 28, 2007 02:03PM

The parent or student who is posing as the principal of South Lakes High School needs to cease and desist. This is unacceptable conduct and you are doing a disservice to our school. Parents, you are not helping when you lower yourselves to that of a child. What kind of example are you for your children and our school.

Whoever impersonated me should have known I would never have written that tripe.

Date: December 02, 2007 09:29PM

I just gotta respond to this -- Mr. Butler would never post on this blog, period. While the person last posing as Mr. Butler in this case maybe wanted to stand up for him, I can assure you the real one would never write here. Can any of you imagine your own principal saying a single word here, expecially as "the real John Banbury" or "the real Tim Thomas?" Amusing.

Date: December 02, 2007 09:29PM

A South Lakes student just posted something rather disturbing. There is a rumor going around at his school that some gang members were planning some type of disruption at tomorrow night.

I hope the local police are aware of this.

Date: December 02, 2007 09:37PM

Parent Pissed, are you referring to the following post?

imaseahawk Wrote:
> There's a rumor going around our school; I just
> thought I would warn everyone that a rather large
> group of gang members and affiliates from the
> community plan to attend the boundary meeting
> tomorrow, so BEWARE!!!!!
>
> Apparently they will be disguised as middle-aged,
> irate adults, but they will still "represent" by
> wearing their colors, as expected. I think you
> can identify these potential threats by their
> double-parked SUVs and code-language that
> manifests as mutterances about "Stu Gibson." FYI:
> That means they're about to jump someone. Thank
> me later.

If you are, I don't know how good you are at recognizing sarcasm. He/She is referring to the parents who are upset about this issue, considering the fact that it says 'middle-aged, irate adults', I doubt that the South Lakes student is referring to actual gang members. However, I could be entirely wrong. I'm just taking it as sarcasm. If there is actually a gang disturbance, there is a police station located right next to Westfield and police will be at the meeting, so don't worry.

Posted by: BirdLover ()
Date: December 02, 2007 09:45PM

Well, as long as we are now posting old stuff.../...

Exibit A

Proud SL Senior
Date: November 27, 2007 03:20PM

I am here because I CARE about my school. Wow, what a concept! Young people caring about issues that affect them?? Golly wolly!

Exhibit B

Posted by: Clarifier

Oh golly, another correction to my earlier post..............

Date: December 02, 2007 09:48PM

Yes, I agree with Parent Pissed....

We are law abiding down here....so I'm not sure what "South Lakes" was going for? We don't know what gang "code language" is!!

Citizens of Oakton, Westfield, Chantilly & Herndon don't want to know anything about your gang issues up there. Unless, of course, Stu Gibson forces our kids to go there...then, we'll catch up quickly. Survival instincts.

Please, South Lakes... no more threatening posts...even, if you think its funny. Its not. Gang violence has caused much harm to the South Lakes community and to many communities.....enough already!!

Posted by: Cricket ()
Date: December 02, 2007 10:00PM

SubmissiveWiiRNot Wrote:
>>
> Boy Cricket, you are clearly very angry, and
> getting more so with each passing day. I
> understand that you are frustrated, but please
> don't impugn our efforts to help our community
> school. You should be grateful that parents who
> care exist. They help make your school what it
> is.
>
> BTW, about that response from Bruce Butler?

No angrier than the first day. Except it is sort of bothersome to view options that completely galvanize our school community and then watch the merry rats (from certain high schools) follow the Pied Piper School Board into the town hall meetings, touting their brand new "school districts" like "East Floris." So to you...don't impugn our efforts to stay intact as a community. And by the way, McNair's split has been there from the start so it is what it is. I don't think anyone went into this believing that they would further carve up elementary schools. But whoa-ho, guess what...fortunately most neighborhoods narrowly escaped that except for the one elementary school that has seen more changes in the last 7 years than any other in this study.

I don't know about the Bruce response. I didn't waste my time. Like I said, our community has lots of research to catch up on, since we have soooo many options and high schools to choose from, now.

Posted by: Truth Teller ()
Date: December 02, 2007 10:13PM

VaDriver Wrote:
> Yes, I agree with Parent Pissed....
>
> We are law abiding down here....so I'm not sure
> what "South Lakes" was going for? We don't know
> what gang "code language" is!!
>
> Citizens of Oakton, Westfield, Chantilly & Herndon
> don't want to know anything about your gang issues
> up there. Unless, of course, Stu Gibson forces our
> kids to go there...then, we'll catch up quickly.
> Survival instincts.
>
> Please, South Lakes... no more threatening
> posts...even, if you think its funny. Its not.
> Gang violence has caused much harm to the South
> Lakes community and to many communities.....enough
> already!!

VaDriver, did you see this article posted earlier regarding possible gang and other activity at Oakton?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/30/AR2006053001016.html

Posted by: Lil Scrappy ()
Date: December 02, 2007 10:13PM

Of course I remember sgt. Keating, He is a real pervert. Sgt. Keating’s famous predilection for the black girls was so obvious.
Coach Holmes was slightly touching the hair of the students when he was flirting and he didn't care if somebody saw him.
Donovan? I think that I remember him. He was the rocker wannabe who taught history?

Date: December 02, 2007 10:15PM

Cricket Wrote:

>
> I don't know about the Bruce response. I didn't
> waste my time. Like I said, our community has
> lots of research to catch up on, since we have
> soooo many options and high schools to choose
> from, now.

Well, I hope you will take Bruce up on his invitation to visit South Lakes. We are a very welcoming community.

Date: December 02, 2007 10:19PM

Parent Pissed Wrote:
> A South Lakes student just posted something rather
> disturbing. There is a rumor going around at his
> school that some gang members were planning some
> type of disruption at tomorrow night.
>
> I hope the local police are aware of this.

Glad to know you are on the case. You might want to watch your mouth at the meetings, especially when addressing the students. Talk to them like you talked to our canine poster and you may well be hauled off to that convenient police station next door.

Posted by: Old Timer ()
Date: December 02, 2007 10:20PM

imabulldog Wrote:
> Parent Pissed, are you referring to the following
> post?
>
> imaseahawk Wrote:
> -----
> > There's a rumor going around our school; I just
> > thought I would warn everyone that a rather
> large
> > group of gang members and affiliates from the
> > community plan to attend the boundary meeting
> > tomorrow, so BEWARE!!!!!
> >
> > Apparently they will be disguised as
> middle-aged,
> > irate adults, but they will still "represent"
> by
> > wearing their colors, as expected. I think you
> > can identify these potential threats by their
> > double-parked SUVs and code-language that
> > manifests as mutterances about "Stu Gibson."
> FYI:
> > That means they're about to jump someone.
> Thank
> > me later.
>
>
> If you are, I don't know how good you are at
> recognizing sarcasm. He/She is referring to the
> parents who are upset about this issue,
> considering the fact that it says 'middle-aged,
> irate adults', I doubt that the South Lakes
> student is referring to actual gang members.
> However, I could be entirely wrong. I'm just
> taking it as sarcasm. If there is actually a gang
> disturbance, there is a police station located
> right next to Westfield and police will be at the
> meeting, so don't worry.

ROTFLMAO - ohmygod only the kids "get it!" That was so damn funny - adults dressed in their "colors" with their suvs double parked.

If that is indeed a kid, you are truly witty.

Please oh please, help us all! We're surrounded by idiots disguised as adults!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2007 10:21PM by Old Timer.

Date: December 02, 2007 10:21PM

Well gosh, golly, wolly, gee willakers! It's nice to know that Detective Bird, post-buster extraordinaire, is on the case too. Will you be in uniform tomorrow night, or undercover.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: December 02, 2007 10:23PM

Clarifer,
You said "we are not talking about high-performing kids, but middle of the road kids. We don't have enough of them at SL."

What does that mean? Kids who don't take IB courses but don't take regular ed classes either? Who are they and what do courses do they take? Why do you need more of them?

Date: December 02, 2007 10:24PM

Old Timer Wrote:
> ROTFLMAO - ohmygod only the kids "get it!" That
> was so damn funny - adults dressed in their
> "colors" with their suvs double parked.
>
> If that is indeed a kid, you are truly witty.
>
> Please oh please, help us all! We're surrounded
> by idiots disguised as adults!

Haha, wow. If some of the adults didn't really understand that as sarcasm, though, I can't even imagine what they'll say at the meeting tomorrow night. Granted, the ones I was in a classroom with at the Chantilly meeting were understanding and polite, so I'd hope the parents at the meeting are like that tomorrow, as well.

Date: December 02, 2007 10:31PM

Truth Teller Wrote:
> VaDriver Wrote:
> -----
> > Yes, I agree with Parent Pissed....
> >
> > We are law abiding down here....so I'm not sure
> > what "South Lakes" was going for? We don't
> know
> > what gang "code language" is!!
> >
> > Citizens of Oakton, Westfield, Chantilly &
> Herndon
> > don't want to know anything about your gang
> issues
> > up there. Unless, of course, Stu Gibson forces
> our
> > kids to go there...then, we'll catch up quickly.
>
> > Survival instincts.
> >
> > Please, South Lakes... no more threatening
> > posts...even, if you think its funny. Its not.
> > Gang violence has caused much harm to the South
> > Lakes community and to many
> communities.....enough
> > already!!
>
> VaDriver, did you see this article posted earlier
> regarding possible gang and other activity at
> Oakton?
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic
> le/2006/05/30/AR2006053001016.html

back at you...u want to go there!!!

Google:South Lakes High School arrests May 2007

http://www.wusa9.com/video/player.aspx?aid=43891&sid=58229&bw=

Date: December 02, 2007 10:33PM

Clarifier said
>>>South Lakes has been working to get parity for the 18 years I have been involved. The IB program, a new principal, a model campus with Langston Hughes -- all these things have been the result of hard labors of love for this school<<<

You actually fought for these things? Do you now realize that your 'love' was misdirected? That you would have been better off fighting to improve the elementary schools in Reston, fighting for an AP program, and not letting them stick South Lakes with the IB program?

What is a 'model campus'? Has it made Hughes a school where parents want to send their children?

Date: December 02, 2007 10:35PM

Neen Wrote:
> Clarifer,
> You said "we are not talking about high-performing
> kids, but middle of the road kids. We don't have
> enough of them at SL."
>
> What does that mean? Kids who don't take IB
> courses but don't take regular ed classes either?
> Who are they and what do courses do they take?
> Why do you need more of them?

Neen, that was me. I just meant average kids. Not every kid is a high-performer (e.g., IB diploma or full AP load), but just want to take a sprinkling of high-level classes. We just don't need more Title I kids - we have enough, and SL has to work hard to give them the chance they deserve.

Date: December 02, 2007 10:37PM

>>>>the minority of FME parents who were either in favor of going to SL or sort of apathetic about it are FURIOUS about the 4 options. For some reason, it seems that they were under the impression that if Fox Mill would go to SL, so would Crossfield, Floris, or some other combination of similar elementary schools. Obviously the numbers didn't ever justify that presumption, but at any rate the slim support that redistricting ever had in my neighborhood has disappeared. There are phone banks, fliers, emergency meetings going on this weekend. Too bad more of them weren't reading this message board for the last month<<<

They have reason for concern. There needs to be more high performing students going to South Lakes for this redistricting to work. Fox Mill parents are simply not enough to get more AP courses, more higher level math, etc.

Date: December 02, 2007 10:38PM

Neen Wrote:
> Clarifer,
> You said "we are not talking about high-performing
> kids, but middle of the road kids. We don't have
> enough of them at SL."
>
> What does that mean? Kids who don't take IB
> courses but don't take regular ed classes either?
> Who are they and what do courses do they take?
> Why do you need more of them?

Neen,

You know what Clarifier meant - you're too smart for this.

We're not looking to fill our school with IB diploma candidates/valedictorian types to boost test scores, but of course those students are always welcome as are ALL students.

What we need at South Lakes are regular (NoVA regular which means high achieving) students who will take IB courses but maybe not go for the whole diploma, students who will participate in all those activities that define high school from the yearbook, dance team, orchestra and band, to the football, lacrosse, cross country, soccer, softball and baseball teams. They'll come to all the football games and cheer on their school. They'll join the chess team and participate in car washes. They'll be in the talent show or be part of the dramatic performances. Their parents will volunteer along with the rest of us for band boosters and academic boosters and the numerous fundraisers that go along with FFX County schools.

We need a community of students and their families who will work with us to ensure that this high school continues it's upward rise.

Date: December 02, 2007 10:43PM

>>>>If Fox Mill is the only complete school to go to SL, would we then move to Hughes<<<

Yes, of course. It would be an easy move for the school board.

Posted by: Truth Teller ()
Date: December 02, 2007 10:45PM

VaDriver Wrote:

> Oh Truth teller...what are you some kind of
> freakin Indian with that STUpid name...oh man of
> great wisdom......
>

> back at you...u want to go there!!!
>
> Google:South Lakes High School arrests May 2007

Wreckless Driver, you never miss an opportunity to bash the people of South Lakes, do you?

From your last post: "We are law abiding down here....so I'm not sure what "South Lakes" was going for? We don't know what gang "code language" is!!"

You entirely miss the point. Much has been discussed about the nature of the news report and the fact that it was determined not to be gang related. Have you ever heard of sensational news reporting?

You should not throw stones because the same type of thing could be going on right under your nose as the Wash Post article points out.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/30/AR2006053001016.html,

If you are so naive as to believe that nothing ever happens at schools like Oakton, them you are beyond reasoning.

Date: December 02, 2007 10:47PM

>>>a modified Option 2 or 3, with FM + East Floris coming to SL?<<<

Where is that option?

Would these be options 5 and 6? When will those options be presented? Between the meeting tomorrow night and the meeting on the 19th?

Can everyone present more options tomorrow night?

Date: December 02, 2007 10:48PM

What's wrong with this option (besides I don't want to move my kid) analytically and geographically? Why wasn't it suggested by facilities staff?

Madison Island to SLHS
Fox Mill to SLHS
Floris (east of 28) to SLHS
Navy to Oakton

Helps SL, keeps McNair where they are best served, reduces Fox Mill and Floris commutes, reduces overcrowding at Westfield and Chantilly. Floris west of 28 and the western portion of McNair will probably become Coppermine eventually.

I know some Chantilly folks don't want to move, but if not Navy or Oak Hill out of Chantilly then who?

Date: December 02, 2007 10:49PM

Old Timer Wrote:
That means they're about to jump someone!
Thank me later.
Old timer writes..... Rotfllololololololololol,taxpayers dressed in their
"colors" with their suvs double parked.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Timer....what, did Sunrise living let you out of the Puzzle room for a few minutes in the "computer room"???

Don't get in trouble now!

Glad you are participating...this is good for you...keep active!

Date: December 02, 2007 10:49PM

Ah, Neen, Neen, where have you Been?

Date: December 02, 2007 10:51PM

VaDriver Wrote:
> Old Timer Wrote:
> -----
> That means they're about to jump someone!
> Thank me later.
> Old timer writes.....
> Rotfllololololololololol,taxpayers dressed in
> their
> "colors" with their suvs double parked.
> ----------------------------
> Old Timer....what, did Sunrise living let you out
> of the Puzzle room for a few minutes in the
> "computer room"???
>
> Don't get in trouble now!
>
> Glad you are participating...this is good for
> you...keep active!

Thanks - try to keep those brain cells clicking away. I see that all your posts are productive as well.

Date: December 02, 2007 10:52PM

>>>preferably middle-class so as not to further disadvantage current FRL kids,<<<

How do middle class students help prevent further disadvantage to disadvantaged students? Will they be used as tutors to help get those students up to grade level? Will they force elementary schools to educate them so that they are ready for high school? Will they make them richer? Will they provide them with free SAT prep? Will they make their parents more involved with their lives and with their education? Or something else?

Or will higher performing kids really only help other higher performing kids? And do nothing for the kids who are not performing at grade level?

Date: December 02, 2007 10:56PM

Old Timer Wrote:
> What's wrong with this option (besides I don't
> want to move my kid) analytically and
> geographically? Why wasn't it suggested by
> facilities staff?
>
>
> Madison Island to SLHS
> Fox Mill to SLHS
> Floris (east of 28) to SLHS
> Navy to Oakton
>
>
> Helps SL, keeps McNair where they are best served,
> reduces Fox Mill and Floris commutes, reduces
> overcrowding at Westfield and Chantilly. Floris
> west of 28 and the western portion of McNair will
> probably become Coppermine eventually.
>
> I know some Chantilly folks don't want to move,
> but if not Navy or Oak Hill out of Chantilly then
> who?

I'd like to say that I'm equidistant in between South Lakes and Westfield, as is my neighbors. I actually live closest to Chantilly, yet my district is Westfield. Why can't they wait to do this whole redistricting thing until Coppermine is built, and they have redistricted elementary school kids into there? It seems senseless to do it now if another school is going to be involved in the near future.

Date: December 02, 2007 10:57PM

>>>Uh, I definitely am a high school student<<<

Bulldog, of course you are. Please ignore the nasty South Lakes parents who aren't used to articulate high school students. Your AP program, and your parents, have served you well.

Date: December 02, 2007 10:58PM

Golly gee willakers, Clarifier.... Sounds like you missed neen.

Date: December 02, 2007 10:59PM

Neen Wrote:
> >>>Uh, I definitely am a high school student<<<
>
> Bulldog, of course you are. Please ignore the
> nasty South Lakes parents who aren't used to
> articulate high school students. Your AP program,
> and your parents, have served you well.

Thanks, Neen. My AP program, though it's good for me, is still annoying due to the workload... oh well. I've heard IB is more rigorous than AP, though. Is that true?

Date: December 02, 2007 10:59PM

>>>Why do we have to accept any of these options in total? Each could be modified slightly to please more people.<<<

Exactly! Each could be modified to accept some Langley students. Each could include a magnet that would definitely attract more high performing students.

Date: December 02, 2007 11:04PM

Neen Wrote:
> >>>>If Fox Mill is the only complete school to go
> to SL, would we then move to Hughes<<<
>
> Yes, of course. It would be an easy move for the
> school board.

I hope that people bring that up tomorrow night. Fox Mill parents are becoming more united about this, and nothing will get their attention more than the thought of losing Carson. Right now the FME parents that I've spoken with are feeling sort of like a tiny voice compared with Herndon HS, which has a lot to lose if any changes are made to their enrollment. Even the HHS parents who wouldn't be moved see that losing Aldrin and Armstrong hurts their school. We worry that the rest of the Oakton parents (non FME) have sighed with relief and moved on. Don't throw us under the bus! Get your friends to suport NO redistricting. We Shall Overcoooome. Crossfield, you could be next.

Date: December 02, 2007 11:08PM

>>>>Oakton Kid: I'm sorry, but I have to wonder if your parents' virulence has infected you. How do you really KNOW it's "not a good school?" Really know? Apart from minor score differentials and rankings that reasonable adults know to be quite flawed when it comes to telling the whole story -- and that really are minor differentials?

Did you know, for example, that South Lakes "ranks" in the top 2.5% of all schools in the US?<<<

So what? Shouldn't the decision still be the parent's decision? Kids don't decide where they are educated, parents do.

Date: December 02, 2007 11:09PM

[www.wusa9.com]

Hey, Old Timer,

Glad to see you're back. The last time we met, you were bumping into walls. I see that's all cleared up. Good.

Date: December 02, 2007 11:10PM

> Neen Wrote:
> -----
> > >>>>If Fox Mill is the only complete school to
> go
> > to SL, would we then move to Hughes<<<
> >
> > Yes, of course. It would be an easy move for
> the
> > school board.
>
>
> I hope that people bring that up tomorrow night.
> Fox Mill parents are becoming more united about
> this, and nothing will get their attention more
> than the thought of losing Carson. Right now the
> FME parents that I've spoken with are feeling sort
> of like a tiny voice compared with Herndon HS,
> which has a lot to lose if any changes are made to
> their enrollment. Even the HHS parents who
> wouldn't be moved see that losing Aldrin and
> Armstrong hurts their school. We worry that the
> rest of the Oakton parents (non FME) have sighed
> with relief and moved on. Don't throw us under the
> bus! Get your friends to suport NO redistricting.
> We Shall Overcoooome. Crossfield, you could be
> next.

I'm actually surprised Crossfield wasn't involved in the redistricting options. Since they have such a big district, and because they're in between Chantilly and South Lakes, and closer to those two schools than where they currently go, Oakton. Does anyone happen to know why Crossfield doesn't get affected by the options? I'm just curious.

Date: December 02, 2007 11:12PM

Neen Wrote:
> >>>preferably middle-class so as not to further
> disadvantage current FRL kids,<<<
>
> How do middle class students help prevent further
> disadvantage to disadvantaged students? Will they
> be used as tutors to help get those students up to
> grade level? Will they force elementary schools
> to educate them so that they are ready for high
> school? Will they make them richer? Will they
> provide them with free SAT prep? Will they make
> their parents more involved with their lives and
> with their education? Or something else?
>
> Or will higher performing kids really only help
> other higher performing kids? And do nothing for
> the kids who are not performing at grade level?

Well, what do they do with the AA students at TJ that you spoke of earlier?

Neen, instead of preaching to us about how to educate these kids - and please tell us how your experiences on the GT committee and in homogeneous Vienna have helped you with low income kids - why don't you instead approach the principals of the low performing schools that have you so upset and offer your services and advice. Your kids are grown and I'm sure the schools could use your help. Unless of course you are too busy with the gifted kids who are so needful of help with their 'uniqueness.'

Posted by: Cricket ()
Date: December 02, 2007 11:18PM

Old Timer Wrote:
> What's wrong with this option (besides I don't
> want to move my kid) analytically and
> geographically? Why wasn't it suggested by
> facilities staff?
>
>
> Madison Island to SLHS
> Fox Mill to SLHS
> Floris (east of 28) to SLHS
> Navy to Oakton
>
>
> Helps SL, keeps McNair where they are best served,
> reduces Fox Mill and Floris commutes, reduces
> overcrowding at Westfield and Chantilly. Floris
> west of 28 and the western portion of McNair will
> probably become Coppermine eventually.
>
> I know some Chantilly folks don't want to move,
> but if not Navy or Oak Hill out of Chantilly then
> who?

It creates a McNair island.

Pages: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 189

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.