HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567891011All...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12
Re: Ghosts/hauntings in around Fairfax County
Posted by: Outraged ()
Date: May 20, 2012 11:52PM

Haunted Woodbridge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many years ago off of Route 1 in Woodbridge,
> Virginia were several houses that belonged to old
> families who would adopt orphans as a way of life.
> The problem is that big corporal companies came in
> to build over the houses and so the families were
> evicted.

Damn those big corporal companies!

Options: ReplyQuote
Old Gaol in Warrenton VA
Posted by: Jeannie Lewis ()
Date: October 30, 2012 09:17PM

Went to the old 1804? and 1824 Old Gaol. The oldest bldg. was the jail's keeper's house--no spooks there. Now, the 1824 addition, that's another story. We were the only ones in the building. The first room on the right made me nauseas for some reason. Went into the hall...no more nausea. BUT my sis-in-law and I heard a metal bang, fairly light, upstairs where they keep cells. Went upstairs and discovered the small round, metal opening (to pass food, I guess) made the exact same sound! Went back downstairs and did a test by going back in the front room. Got nauseas again, left, felt fine.

Asked the lady who worked there why. She said that was where Civil War soldiers were taken for surgeries! There would be a lot more fear and pain in that room than in the cells. I would imagine.

Makes one wonder.

Posted by: Random Hills Resident ()
Date: November 25, 2012 08:39AM

Has anyone heard of paranormal activity near Random Hills Road? I live in the area and have heard people talk about unusual happenings, but have not experienced anything of the sort myself. In fact, when I was a kid I rode my bike in the area, when it was all woods and fields, and never had anything odd happen. Still, I'd be interested if anyone has had any experiences.

Posted by: old schools ()
Date: January 27, 2013 12:22AM

Green Acres Elementary, Fairfax Cit

Posted by: Bumpy gal ()
Date: May 19, 2013 08:49PM

I was in a house off Roberts Road beyond GMU a few weeks ago. I saw something that looked like a nurse.... Yet she was rag gy looking.

Any hauntings along the older part of rbts rd?
> > murder. Anyone got any sources of info on it?
> ==================================================
> =====
> not much info..but at least something..
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic
> le/2007/04/14/AR2007041401319_3.html

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: May 20, 2013 01:02AM

This happened way outside Fairfax County but it actually happened.

When I was in college I went home to visit my folks, and after church (my parents insisted, and it's their house) I was stopped by Father Bill, who wanted a word. I never much cared for Bill, who was a bit of a dick and liked to body build with a few of the young male parishioners. I never found out for sure if he was a closet case buy I always assumed it - his business. Anyway, a year or two earlier we'd had a visit from a priest who'd retired to the area, who was an actual demonologist (another story there) with whom I'd had a rather interesting discussion, and Bill had been there. This guy had moved away and Bill had recently gotten an odd call, which he wanted to talk about.

Apparently a family who'd moved to the area where experiencing a rather frightening and prolonged disturbance in their home. Knocking, strange power surges, and appliances had turned themselves on and off right in front of them. Mom, dad and the two kids took to sleeping in the master bedroom together, and when they woke up one morning to find all the furniture in the living room piled against one wall, they called the local catholic church.

Bill was scared pretty shitless. He'd gone to visit and heard some things, saw a few things move a bit, said a quick prayer and skedaddled. It didn't help. The family begged him to come back but Bill was reluctant to do it, and the diocese thought the whole thing unworthy of investigating. So Bill asked me to have a look.

So we went to visit, nice little house, nice family and obviously scared as shit. They were pretty sure they were being visited by a demon, and had laid in a few crosses and whatnot. We had some tea and I didn't see too much, although a few things fell off the mantlepiece while we were there and a bit of lemon slice I had absolutely would not stay on the table next to me. Several times I put it back on my saucer, minute or two later it was on the ground. Weird.

Bill was fucking useless - these poor folks were desperate for assurances and Bill was reluctant to help them he said because, no shit, they weren't parishioners. They also weren't catholic for that matter but that's still no reason for Bill to be a douche about it. So I told them that, from what I'd read, this seemed more like a poltergeist activity than anything evil, and that this is usually associated with adolescent children. It's not their fault, it's not a spirit invading or anything, and it'd probably run its course in a month or two.

That was it. They seemed relieved and it did tail off about a week later. They called Bill to thank him but declined to join the church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2013 01:04AM by abelard.

Posted by: Ghostwalker ()
Date: May 22, 2013 07:47AM

Date: May 22, 2013 07:50AM

abelard Wrote:
> This happened way outside Fairfax County but it
> actually happened.
>
> When I was in college I went home to visit my
> folks, and after church (my parents insisted, and
> it's their house) I was stopped by Father Bill,
> who wanted a word. I never much cared for Bill,
> who was a bit of a dick and liked to body build
> with a few of the young male parishioners. I
> never found out for sure if he was a closet case
> buy I always assumed it - his business. Anyway, a
> year or two earlier we'd had a visit from a priest
> who'd retired to the area, who was an actual
> demonologist (another story there) with whom I'd
> had a rather interesting discussion, and Bill had
> been there. This guy had moved away and Bill had
> recently gotten an odd call, which he wanted to
> talk about.
>
> Apparently a family who'd moved to the area where
> experiencing a rather frightening and prolonged
> disturbance in their home. Knocking, strange
> power surges, and appliances had turned themselves
> on and off right in front of them. Mom, dad and
> the two kids took to sleeping in the master
> bedroom together, and when they woke up one
> morning to find all the furniture in the living
> room piled against one wall, they called the local
> catholic church.
>
> Bill was scared pretty shitless. He'd gone to
> visit and heard some things, saw a few things move
> a bit, said a quick prayer and skedaddled. It
> didn't help. The family begged him to come back
> but Bill was reluctant to do it, and the diocese
> thought the whole thing unworthy of investigating.
> So Bill asked me to have a look.
>
> So we went to visit, nice little house, nice
> family and obviously scared as shit. They were
> pretty sure they were being visited by a demon,
> and had laid in a few crosses and whatnot. We had
> some tea and I didn't see too much, although a few
> things fell off the mantlepiece while we were
> there and a bit of lemon slice I had absolutely
> would not stay on the table next to me. Several
> times I put it back on my saucer, minute or two
> later it was on the ground. Weird.
>
> Bill was fucking useless - these poor folks were
> desperate for assurances and Bill was reluctant to
> help them he said because, no shit, they weren't
> parishioners. They also weren't catholic for that
> matter but that's still no reason for Bill to be a
> douche about it. So I told them that, from what
> I'd read, this seemed more like a poltergeist
> activity than anything evil, and that this is
> usually associated with adolescent children. It's
> not their fault, it's not a spirit invading or
> anything, and it'd probably run its course in a
> month or two.
>
> That was it. They seemed relieved and it did tail
> off about a week later. They called Bill to thank
> him but declined to join the church.

That's fairly typical of the Catholic church back prior to 2000. Pope John Paul, instituted a training course for all the different faiths in the early 2000's because the church wasn't doing what it was supposed to do, oppose this sort of evil. The course taught them how to do excorcisms, various prayers, etc. This activity you encountered will probably not go away for good, burning sage and praying along the property line, inside the house, etc. will drive off a harmful spirit. If you do some investigation on the house or the family living there you might find a connection there. (persons in the family with some trauma, psychic abilities, etc.) Those attract spirits too.

Date: May 22, 2013 08:02AM

This might not be your cup of tea, but I put it here anyway...

UFOs in Fairfax
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/474563/1180920.html#msg-1180920

Six mysterious lights in the sky, UFO's or helicopters seen tonight believed to be over 236 near intersection with Guinea Road.
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1103349/1104636.html#msg-1104636

UFO Chased By Military Jets - Seen By Multiple People In Fairfax County - 2nd Large Sighting
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/584570/1089745.html#msg-1089745

Posted by: demonology ()
Date: May 23, 2013 09:07AM

I swear there are spirits in cub run stream area.

Date: May 23, 2013 09:09AM

demonology Wrote:
> I swear there are spirits in cub run stream area.

Go on, tell us more!

Date: May 24, 2013 12:08AM

>This activity you encountered will probably not go away for good, burning sage and
>praying along the property line, inside the house, etc. will drive off a harmful
>spirit.

Far as I know nobody did any of that although who knows - the family was pretty desperate. I'd never heard of smudging a house at that point or I might have suggested it.

It's been a while but I don't remember there being anything personal or malevolent about the whole thing. If anything, the activity was almost playful, albeit alarming. Also kinda unfocused. I'd read Malachi Martin's Hostage to the Devil by that time and I remember looking for any signs of intent or pattern. Nothing. I do know it stopped - they sent me a thank you card months later.

Posted by: Spirit of '76 ()
Date: May 24, 2013 07:11AM

When I went to Gunston Hall (George Mason's house in Lorton) for the Revolutionary War Re-enactment, one of the tour guides mentioned ghosts being seen there from time to time in period clothing. I would love to go explore that place at night.

Date: May 25, 2013 04:36PM

Ghost Trackers Takes You Into The Dark of Night
This is what I wanted to do last year but didn't make it...

Visit a 200-year-old house in the dark of the night on Saturday, December 29, 2012 as the Park Authority ends the year with things that go bump in the night. This could be creepy fun as you track the ghosts of Walney’s past at Ellanor C. Lawrence Park. Hear chilling local historic and folklore tales from 9 to 10 p.m.

Participants must meet at the Walney Visitor Center. Only those ages 16 and older will be allowed on this spine tingling program. The cost is $15 per person. Register online, but hurry before all the spooky spots are taken. Register at Parktakes Online or call 703-222-4664. For information contact the site at 703-631-0013.

Date: May 25, 2013 04:37PM

New Park Program Tracks Ghosts of Centreville’s Past
http://fairfaxnews.com/2012/07/new-park-program-tracks-ghosts-of-centrevilles-past/

Incorporated into an old stone wall at Ellanor C. Lawrence Park is a mysterious gravestone with a cryptic inscription which reads, “All ye that are about him, bemoan him; and all ye that know his name, say, How is the strong staff broken, and the beautiful rod!”

Was this ambiguous message, a quote taken from Jeremiah 48 and used in 19th century eulogies, meant as praise or a subtle condemnation? The mason who placed the stone said there was no name on it and that it had probably marked a slave’s grave. No one really knows, but one can speculate….

Find the ghosts

Ghost Trackers, a new program offered by the Fairfax County Park Authority at Ellanor C. Lawrence Park’s Cabells Mill in Chantilly, Va., explores the area’s local history and folklore.

Participants age 16 and older will hear chilling tales as they make a rubbing of the enigmatic gravestone and visit the 200-year-old miller’s house in the dark of night. They may hear the crying ghost or see one of the benevolent presences associated with the site. Or, perhaps they will meet the maintenance poltergeist responsible for the recent loss of air-conditioning.

The program begins at 10 p.m. on Friday, August 3, 2012 , and lasts one hour. The cost is $15 per person. Materials for rubbings will be provided. Registration is available via Parktakes Online.

E.C. Lawrence Park is located at 5040 Walney Road in Chantilly. For more information about this program, call 703-631-0013.
Attachments:
centreville-ghosts.png

Posted by: JillHamilton ()
Date: May 28, 2013 06:28PM

Go to Trummer's On Main. It's a restaurant in clifton. go to the bar and have a drink. Ask the bartender about the ghosts. Interesting stories and good drinks.

Date: May 30, 2013 06:59AM

JillHamilton Wrote:
> Go to Trummer's On Main. It's a restaurant in
> clifton. go to the bar and have a drink. Ask the
> bartender about the ghosts. Interesting stories
> and good drinks.

Here's their website and address...

Trummer's
http://trummersonmain.com/
7134 Main Street, Clifton, Virginia

History:
Where New York Meets Main Street

George Washington and Lord Fairfax hunted here; the Confederates and the Union met up here throughout the Civil War; the first electricity in Virginia began here; the first New York restaurateurs to bring a restaurant to Clifton opened here in 2009. Located on Main Street in a historic town born out of the Civil War, Trummers on Main, formerly the Hermitage Inn, is a creation of husband and wife restaurateurs Stefan and Victoria Trummer. They have relocated to Victoria’s hometown to “combine small town charm with fabulous food and attentive service generally found in big food cities.”

Located just 25 miles from Washington DC, Clifton is a quaint destination with its working Virginia railway driven directly through the center of it all. Following the Civil War, noted Clifton developer Harrison Otis built a hotel in the heart of this quiet town upon frustration with his vineyard. The hotel is the original building structure of Trummers on Main. As history begins to unfold, the historic building dates back to 1869, when it opened as The Clifton Hotel.

General Robert E. Lee and Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant, who came thru Clifton during wars and administrations, greet you upon stepping inside via their painted portraits. Other visitors included Presidents Rutherford B. Hayes and Teddy Roosevelt, who once hung their hats here at The Clifton Hotel.

A fresh coat of paint on the exterior and shutters, the Trummers have completely rebuilt the interior. The restaurant space boasts three floors enveloped by warm reds and oranges with soft creams. The ‘Winter Garden,’ an addition added during the Hermitage days, is both a dining room and ideal for private events. This glass-enclosed room has a view of the serene flagstone waterfall behind the restaurant and the outdoor seating patio. The main feature in this room is the set of four paintings based on the Trummer’s logo. Commissioned specifically for Trummer’s On Main, artist Buck Nelligan has incorporated the logo into the four seasons of a tree through winter, spring, summer and fall.

The ‘Gallery’ is the third floor dining room featuring local artist paintings available for sale to guests. These will rotate every two months. Also off this space is the elegant bridal suite. The second floor dining room featuring exposed brick and two working fireplaces is aptly named ‘The Loft’ and is located directly off the ‘Winter Garden.’ One fireplace features its historic refurbished mantel centered prominently and the second located near the back in a corner with raised river rock. Plaster painted walls in cream and contemporary styled, vibrant chairs complete the design. Restaurant seating will accommodate 210 guests, complete with textured chairs of red and orange contemporary design and tabletops of a butcher block-blend.

The bar and lounge on the first floor feature dark cherry wood, a honey-colored translucent granite bar top, prominent lighting and textured stones on the bar wall, and columns wrapped in amber ledge stone. A fireplace in the lounge is flanked by painted portraits of cocktails. Here, Master Mixologist Stefan Trummer’s hand-crafted cocktails will be both seasonal and innovative libations.

A wine tasting room is glass enclosed for wine tasting only, complete with a communal tasting table and a view of the wine cellar room located directly next to it. The wine cellar will hold up to 8,000 bottles of wine.

The Trummers come with a collective service, food and beverage background comprised of Citarella Restaurant, Bouley, ‘upstairs’ at Bouley, Masa, Restaurant RM and Compass in New York. Stefan’s mixology lends a large element; a skill honed for years as a consultant for 202 Restaurant and Ultra Club in New York, L2 Lounge in Georgetown, DC, and Hangar 7 in Austria, his native country.

A destination near to Washington DC and the Blue Ridge Mountains, Clifton has been a main thoroughfare for centuries. Today, Trummer’s On Main reignites Main Street with a culinary adventure of historic proportion.

Posted by: old mike ()
Date: May 30, 2013 07:16AM

I was born and raised in Fairfax Station VA. Our house was located where bloody battles took place during the Civil War. Many strange sightings and sounds occurred when I was just a young child. Doors opened and closed by themselves.

I could hear someone walking up the stairs in our home. When I would look to see who was there, there was no one. I used to play a ''penny game'' that I made up at age four. I would place a penny under the carpet runner on the stairs leading to the second floor.

The next day I would check go see if my penny was still there. It was along with two more pennies. Have never told anyone about that until now fifty one years later!.

Posted by: hh ()
Date: May 30, 2013 07:19AM

My ex and I used to have an apartment in Vienna on gosnell road right in the heart of tyson's corner. We'd always believed in ghosts or spirits or whatever you wish to call them. Small things would happen a lot like the light from one of our floor lamps would start going dim when I approached it but would return to normal as I moved further away.
I always tried to use logic and debunk whatever I could. However one night when we were laying in bed we both
heard a crash. It sounded like glass breaking. It was loud enough to make both of us sit up immediately.
Neither of us asked if the other heard the noise because the look on our faces was enough proof that we had. The sound was
so loud that I swore someone had just broken in so I told her to stay in the bedroom while I went to check it out.
I checked the entire place. No windows were broken. Our back door (we were on the ground level) was a sliding glass door and it was normal. Locked and intact. I checked the kitchen to see if a glass had fallen.
Nothing there either. I got her up and told her to look around to see if she could find any broken glass anywhere. We searched for about 30 minutes and neither of us found anything. To this day we still have no explanation.

Posted by: john in vienna ()
Date: May 30, 2013 07:21AM

This isn't a sighting I had but my friend did. He was in a car with a few friends and they were driving through a neighborhood when all of a sudden a random little girl started biking in the street. They thought it was a normal girl but as they got closer they noticed she was white and glowing.

When they got even closer they noticed that her arms and legs were broken and her hair was up like if she was laying on the ground. Then she turned and disappeared under a Streetlight. About an hour later when they went home they were talking in the middle of the street when all of a sudden one of them keeled over in pain.

Then when he lifted his shirt up he had gashes all over his back. Now we constantly feel like we're being watched. Freaky stuff. I didn't believe in the supernatural up until now.

Posted by: Maritza ()
Date: May 30, 2013 07:25AM

I lived in a apartment on the basement floor on Troy Street here in Arlington, VA. I loved the place until really scary things were happening like the doors would open and close by themselves, the drawers would open and the microwave would turn on by itself.

Posted by: jane1 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 07:26AM

The forest in Bluemont Park where frisbee golf is has had stories of ghosts for 100's of years. Lots of wiccans do spells at an ancient tree in the forest called the dancing tree. I've heard storys of a slave being murdered in those woods in the 1700's.

My friends and I went there one night when nobody was there we hiked uphill to the ghost tree and right in front of us came a really loud scream we were to scared to move so we stood there for a minute there was nobody else there so we ran.

Posted by: Guillmero ()
Date: May 30, 2013 07:28AM

I live over in the townhouse behind the park where Hidden Oaks Nature Center is and at night when my friends and I are hanging out in the park we sometimes see what looks like a cloudy mist moving along the top of the old Manassas Gap railroad bed, not every night just some.

The staff at the nature center don't seem interested in ghosts when I asked one old person there. I think they are worried about reporters showing up maybe.

Posted by: John1 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 07:29AM

I was walking one night down rolling road intersection it was around 2:30 pm about 1 year ago... I was mad at my bf n I stopped the car n I started walking not knowing that my bf was mad too n had driven away leaving me there all alone...As I was walking this figure which seemed like a boy but I am not sure cuz I couldn't tell what it was all I know that it was a figure of a human who was on a bike it passed right by me with a speed n as it passed me it slowed down all I felt was a cold chill very icy...
It still gives me goose bumps.... It took me a while to figure out what it was n as it passed me in just a minute it disappeared... I couldn't believe what I had seen... I started asking
for a lift and luckily I got one...

And went home... It was really creepy... Later when I told my friends they all laughed at me but they all went there again I cudn't face it so I didn't go but they did and they saw the same
thing...
They were all creeped out too...

Posted by: kevins ()
Date: May 30, 2013 07:31AM

John1 Wrote:
> I was walking one night down rolling road
> intersection it was around 2:30 pm about 1 year
> ago... I was mad at my bf n I stopped the car n I
> started walking not knowing that my bf was mad too
> n had driven away leaving me there all alone...As
> I was walking this figure which seemed like a boy
> but I am not sure cuz I couldn't tell what it was
> all I know that it was a figure of a human who was
> on a bike it passed right by me with a speed n as
> it passed me it slowed down all I felt was a cold
> chill very icy...
> It still gives me goose bumps.... It took me a
> while to figure out what it was n as it passed me
> in just a minute it disappeared... I couldn't
> believe what I had seen... I started asking
> for a lift and luckily I got one...
>
> And went home... It was really creepy... Later
> when I told my friends they all laughed at me but
> they all went there again I cudn't face it so I
> didn't go but they did and they saw the same
> thing...
> They were all creeped out too...

Were you on Annandale Rd around Roundtree Park? There are stories about that place. I don't know what happened there, all I know is that there are shrieks that come out of that place!.

Posted by: Tina McLean ()
Date: May 30, 2013 07:32AM

We lived in a house on Hazel Lane in Mclean. It was a '60s contemporary house. We would hear footsteps coming up the stairs on numerous occasions. Whoever the footsteps belonged to they showed a light around the top of the steps.
The bathroom light in my parents' bathroom would turn on at random times. They had an electrician come out and he found nothing wrong with the electrical system. The recreation room was the creepiest.

You could sit on the couch and feel the chilliest presence. My brother lived on the first floor bedroom and would see shadows Thank goodness we were only living there until we moved back into our permanent home in Mclean.

Date: May 31, 2013 12:41PM

This didn't happen in Fairfax so apologies there, but when I was in high school I too had an odd 'footstep' encounter. I used to run at night because it was cooler, and I'd stop for a breather at my half-way point along a road. There was nothing particular about this road - it had houses, streetlights, and a nice gentle hill. One night as I sat there I heard what I swore was a footstep on the loose gravel not 100 feet away. Then another, and now I was absolutely sure it was a footstep. I stood up and could see the entire road for a 100 meters in either direction, plenty of streetlights. Nothing. The next one was closer, then again closer still. I stood there flipping between 'this can't be happening' and 'there it is again' until the last step was, I swear, right in front of me. No way it could have been a person and not be visible, but I'd heard enough and shuffled back quickly, listening intently. Nothing. Stayed there a good ten minutes but it was gone.

About a year later I passing this section of road and (not for the first time) thinking about that night. Nothing had happened again before, but this night I heard a crunching again, steady, like a rolling car. I turned around and it was a rolling car - the one I'd just run past was now moving slowly down the slight incline. I'd not touched it but I had the presence of mind to open the driver's door, get in and put on the brakes. There was nobody there and it occurred to me that I'd just as soon not try to explain what I was doing in somebody else's car, so I put on the parking brake and skedaddled.

That was it - no odd re-occurances, no weird history for that section of road, nor mysterious or tragic events or battles nearby that I know of. Just two odd things in the same place.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2013 12:47PM by abelard.

Posted by: Enrico Palazzo ()
Date: May 31, 2013 03:16PM

John1 Wrote:
> I was walking one night down rolling road
> intersection it was around 2:30 pm about 1 year
> ago... I was mad at my bf n I stopped the car n I
> started walking not knowing that my bf was mad too
> n had driven away leaving me there all alone...As
> I was walking this figure which seemed like a boy
> but I am not sure cuz I couldn't tell what it was
> all I know that it was a figure of a human who was
> on a bike it passed right by me with a speed n as
> it passed me it slowed down all I felt was a cold
> chill very icy...
> It still gives me goose bumps.... It took me a
> while to figure out what it was n as it passed me
> in just a minute it disappeared... I couldn't
> believe what I had seen... I started asking
> for a lift and luckily I got one...
>
> And went home... It was really creepy... Later
> when I told my friends they all laughed at me but
> they all went there again I cudn't face it so I
> didn't go but they did and they saw the same
> thing...
> They were all creeped out too...

John I smell bullshit. Your boyfriend?

Posted by: leesburg ()
Date: June 01, 2013 06:51AM

Sorry, this happened in Leesburg not Fairfax, but I wanted to share this story.

This picture was taken 10 / 31/09 at around 10:45 pm in Leesburg, VA. The church I was attempting to capture was the St. James' Episcopal church. I tried twice to get a decent picture of the church, but was unable to get anything that clearly showed the beauty of this church.

Upon uploading the pictures to my computer I noticed that the two photos I managed to take of the church had a ghostly image in the bottom right hand corner of the picture. Bear in mind that I used my cell phone for the pictures I took that night, but these two were the only ones to show this human shaped mist in the picture.

There were no people near me at the time these pictures were taken.
Attachments:
102979_9773s.jpg

Posted by: Rae ()
Date: June 02, 2013 05:18AM

It was around ten o'clock in the morning I got into the shower. The water was strangely cold. I thought it was just cold because of my brother using all of the hot water but he had had is shower a half an hour before me.

I stood in the shower for three minutes shivering from head to toe. Then I turned my head to look through the clear glass shower stall and saw to my amazement a blurry outline of a small girl with her arms wrapped around my waist as if she were hugging me.

My waist was freezing. After I got out the whole room was filled with steam yet it felt like I was in an icebox. I have seen the little girl once since then and would like to know who she is.

Sometimes I have heard in my house when I am alone my name faintly several times. But lately things have become more and more bizarre. I was talking to my mom about what to pack for a trip and I mentioned a pair of white tie dye shorts.

I then threw a pair of blue shorts and a brown shirt in my suitcase and thought I would pack the shorts later. I went downstairs for something and when I returned I found the shorts in my suitcase.

My mother does not pack my suitcase and I remembered the brown shirt clearly on top of the blue shorts. Then I heard pounding on my door while taking a shower I turned off the water and asked my father if my brother wanted to take a shower and he said that my brother was in the other bathroom.

I feel nerves and tense sometimes in this house and I desperately would like to find out who this girl is.

On another day I was in my brothers room on his laptop making a video. During the video a strange silver orb appeared on screen. I turned of the recording and tried to make another video. I started talking like before then the orb appeared again on screen.

I stopped the video then started a new one. It happened again. A few seconds after I began to speak it appeared. I thought it was the light from my locket reflecting the sun so I moved it but the orb did not follow it's movements.

The only thing that I can think is that it is a ghost. Because after I turned off the camera I began to feel scared and tense. Then a mans laughter came from the hallway outside my brothers rooms door.

I was home alone. No one was in the house but me. It's been sometime since I've felt or heard something. But I still think that there is something here.

Posted by: Tracey ()
Date: June 02, 2013 05:43AM

Leehigh Drive Fairfax Virginia.. Lived there for 11 years 1981-1992 - lots of activity. Every time I go home to visit I drive by and wish I had the nerve to ask the owners if they have had any encounters... But afraid to ask.

Posted by: Sorry I voted for Obama ()
Date: June 02, 2013 06:08AM

There's no such thing as ghosts.

Posted by: Chelsea ()
Date: June 02, 2013 10:44AM

Rumors floods around the meadows of Chantilly tralier Park that if you go to the old Park at 10 and say this little girl named emily's name 5 times then she'll appear sliding and playing saying come play with me.

She is rumored to have died from a plane crash here in meadows of Chantilly. I have personally seen here but if you don't believe me just come find out for yourself.

Posted by: haunted commonwealth ()
Date: June 02, 2013 11:10AM

Walney Road - Chantilly, Virginia
http://hauntedva.blogspot.com/2010/05/walney-road-chantilly-virginia.html

The state of Virginia has numerous haunted roadways throughout the Commonwealth but none are as interesting as Walney Road in Chantilly, Virginia.

The story began back before this windy road was paved when one night, a passing vehicle ran over a man out for a leisurely night stroll, killing him instantly. Afraid of what might happen, the driver fled the scene and police were never able to determine who the killer was.

Since then, the road has been paved and homes have been built along the stretch of road. However, interesting and rather creepy sightings have been recorded for many years by those who travel this road frequently. Legend has it that if you're driving down this road at night you may see the ghost of this man, frantically seeking out help on the side of the road. If you drive by, you will see the figure twice more and if you don't pull over to help, the man will appear inside your car and force you off the road.

Perhaps this is a true story and it's definitely one worth checking out if you're brave enough to drive down this road during the night. However, to me, it sounds like a rumor that spread rapidly due to the high amount of accidents that occur on this road every year. The road is windy and dimly lit, which can cause cars to loose control if they are traveling at too high of speeds.

But who am I to say. The people who live around this area certainly believe it and I guess its best to say you should stay clear of driving on this road after the sun goes down.

Want to hear more about this story? Check out this book at Amazon.com now.
http://www.amazon.com/Weird-Virginia-Jeff-Bahr/dp/1402739427?ie=UTF8&tag=Hokie-20&link_code=bil&camp=213689&creative=392969

Posted by: So sorry I voted for Obama ()
Date: June 02, 2013 11:39AM

I do believe in ghosts. I do. I do I do believe in ghosts.

Posted by: Chessie? ()
Date: June 02, 2013 11:47AM

No necessarily Fairfax county but what about Chessie? I remember watching ABC news back in the 70's, and they showed a video taken from a helicopter of Chessie swimming. It had to be about 30 feet long and looked like a giant swimming black snake!

Chessi is a legendary sea monster said to live in the midst of the Chesapeake Bay. Over the years there have been many alleged sightings of a serpent-like creature with flippers as part of its body. Most sighting reports describe it as a long, snake-like creature, from 25 feet (7.6 m) to 40 feet (12 m) long. It is said to swim using its body as a sine curve moving through the water. There were a rash of sightings in 1977 and more in the mid-1980s.

Although there are alleged photographs of Chessie, there is no genuine evidence of its existence. Speculation to explain sightings has included a "mutant eel" theory, large river otters, prehistoric zeuglodons, and South American anacondas escaping from 18th and 19th century sailing ships.

Sightings

According to Matt Lake in Weird Maryland, two perch fishermen, Francis Klarrman and Edward J. Ward, in 1943 spotted something in the water near Baltimore.

This thing was about 75 yards away, at right angles from our boat. At first it looked like something floating on the water. It was black and the part of it that was out of the water seemed about 12 feet long. It has a head about as big as a football and shaped somewhat like a horse’s head. It turned its head around several times—almost all the way around.”[1]

A photograph of an unknown sea creature taken by Trudy Guthrie in 1980 was later identified as a manatee from Florida. Manatees are unusual this far from Florida. A manatee nicknamed “Chessie” was rescued from the Chesapeake's chilly water in October 1994 and returned to Florida, but has revisited the Chesapeake several times since then. It was photographed in the Patapsco River in 2010 (unconfirmed) and near the shore of Calvert County on July 12, 2011. The more recent photograph was confirmed by U.S. Geological Survey biologists. Unlike the reports of a serpentine creature, manatees do not swim undulating from side to side.[2][3][4]

In 1982 Robert and Karen Frew supposedly videotaped Chessie near Kent Island. Their video shows a brownish object moving side to side like an aquatic snake.[1]

The last notable sighting of the beast was in 1997, off the shore of Fort Smallwood State Park, very close to shore. The legend of "Chessie" is very similar to, and was likely inspired by, that of "Nessie", the Loch Ness Monster.

Watch video here:
Doctor Greg : Episode 1 ( Chessie the Sea Monster)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gi0NoZKsso

Sea Monster?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4cNLRHdNZ28

Posted by: Chessie? ()
Date: June 02, 2013 11:49AM

Chessie, The Chesapeake Bay Monster
http://livingdinos.com/2011/07/chessie-the-chesapeake-bay-monster/

Ever since this country was young, a strange creature has been sighted in the Chesapeake Bay. This creature, unofficially known as Chessie, is said to be a dark tubular or snake-like animal averaging 20- 30 feet long and capable of swimming up to 10 MPH. Chessie is known to be sometimes curious of nearby humans and is not afraid by those who work and live on the Bay, and who might therefore chance upon it. The creature is still seen intermittently. concentrations of sightings occur in May through September most likely because that is when the Bay is most populated with boaters and swimmers. Chessie has been sighted most often are Love Point at Kent Island, the mouth of the Potomac, and the Eastern Bay.

Chessie was by all accounts not your typical Longnecked, Humpbacked, Plesiosaur-shaped sea monsters. Instead, Chessie seemed to be truly serpentine and traveled along in a serpentine motion, in broad horizontal sine-curves or closer-knit sets of squiggles.

In May of 1982, the first hard evidence of Chessie’s existence arrived. While at their Kent Island home, the Frew family, along with friends, believed they spotted Chessie and they made a videotape. Mr. Frew and his wife were looking out at the bay when they noticed a large snake-like creature. Frew and his wife spotted the creature in shallow, clear water about 200 yards from the house. The Frews grabbed their camera and started recording. That video tape was later analyzed by people at the Smithsonian. It was determined that the creature taped was a living animal. Frew video taped the creature as it swam toward a group of swimmers. It dove beneath the swimmers and reappeared on the other side of them. The creature they saw was about 25-30 feet long, 1-2 feet in diameter, dark brown with aa undulating back. In 1978, a retired CIA employee, Donald Kyker, also reported seeing Chessie and 3 others about 75 yards off shore. His neighbors, the Smoots’, also witness the creatures. They gave descriptions of a 30 ft, sleek, dark gray creature swimming about 7-8 miles per hour.

In the summer of 1982, the Smithsonian had a mini-symposium to determine if the videotape was indeed evidence of Chessie’s existence. Along with the video, there was a photograph taken by a woman who was previously afraid to bring it to public attention. The officials concluded that the object was definitely alive, but they did not conclude what it was. The creature in the Bay was left Unidentified.

Although a manatee was discovered to frequent Chesapeake bay and frequently migrated to and from it, the descriptions of the manatee do not match the creature and there is virtually no chance that the manatee is responsible for any of the sightings, still photos or video footage.

[On the other hand, every now and then a sighting in the more typical Plesiosaur mode also pops up. At the beginning of the Wikipedia's entry on Chessie, it states:
"Chessie is a legendary sea monster said to live in the midst of the Chesapeake Bay. Over the years there have been many alleged sightings of a serpent-like creature with flippers as part of its body. According to Matt Lake in Weird Maryland, two perch fishermen, Francis Klarrman and Edward J. Ward, in 1943 spotted something in the water near Baltimore.
“This thing was about 75 yards (69 m) away, at right angles from our boat. At first it looked like something floating on the water. It was black and the part of it that was out of the water seemed about 12 feet (3.7 m) long. It has a head about as big as a football and shaped somewhat like a horse’s head. It turned its head around several times—almost all the way around.”1
(-After which the Wikipedia emphasizes a snakelike creature swimming by horizontal undulations-DD )
1.^ a b Lake, Matt: Weird Maryland, page 68. Sterling Publishing, 2006. ISBN 1402739060.
Attachments:
chessie-chesapeake-bay-serpent2.jpg

Date: June 02, 2013 11:51AM

(I don't really believe in ghosts)

Posted by: jennus ()
Date: June 02, 2013 12:28PM

Back when I was a young, broke college student, a friend and I thought we had stumbled upon the deal of a lifetime: A huge 5 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms for dirt cheap rent. The house was in a kind of out of the way place in Virginia, but it suited our needs and the rent was unbelievably cheap. Let me preface this by saying that in the Commonwealth of Virginia, there are no disclosure laws in real estate, meaning that the buyer/renter is not entitled to know the history of the house before signing on the dotted line.

Within a month of moving into this house, odd things began happening. The electricity didn't work very well. At first we attributed this to the fact that the house was very old, built in the early 1900's and the most recent re-wiring of the house had been done in the 50's. Also, the main breaker for the house was located outside in a barn that stood about 20 yards from the house itself and was connected by several crude-looking overhead wires. Whenever the breakers tripped (which was at least 4 times a week) we'd have to get the flashlight and go to the barn to flip them back on. The electricity wasn't the only problem. We had an answering machine that never recorded any messages. Sometimes the light would be blinking and when we'd push play, it was nothing but static. This was before DVR and we worked a lot of nights, so we would try to record our shows, but it never worked. Just static and white noise. We also found it odd that pictures never turned out in or around the house. We went though 13 rolls of film before finally giving up.

The first time we realized that we were dealing with more than just bad wiring was approximately 4 weeks after we moved in. As we were heading to the garage (which was only accessible through the door in the kitchen or the heavy old automatic door outside) we came to a dead stop. There was a man standing in our garage! He just stood there and was completely oblivious when we screamed. My friend slammed the door and locked it and called out to the man that we had a gun and were calling the cops. She retrieved the said gun and we opened the door again. The man was gone. Just poof, vanished. As previously stated, there were only 2 ways in - door through kitchen or automatic door outside. The automatic door was very noisy, so we would have heard it open and we had been in the kitchen all morning so there was no way he got in that way. We were baffled, but went about life like normal. That incident seemed to open the floodgates, because after that it really became obvious we were dealing with something not of this world.

We used to hear the sound of a baby crying, followed by the sound of a rocking chair up in the attic. We investigated and found nothing. Certain spots would always remain cold. Cold is not something you come across in Virginia in the summer. Numerous times we woke up to find all the contents of the pantry on the floor. There were dozens of other odd things that happened, but I'm just highlighting some of the more bizarre occurrences.

As things began to escalate, we got more and more nervous. The pinnacle was when we were sitting in the kitchen one evening, playing cards and waiting for some guests to arrive. Naturally, the lights went out, so we went out to trip the breaker. When we came out of the barn, we saw our friend running up the steps of the porch with a baseball bat. When we asked what he was doing, he told us that he saw a man standing in our living room then walk up the stairs! Scared, we crowded behind him and searched the house with the bat and a gun. Nothing!

About 2 weeks after that, my roommates boss asked her why she never returned his call about switching a shift. She said that she hadn't gotten any messages and he proceeded to tell her about the man that answered the phone and told her we were out! Upon further investigation, we discovered that several other people had the same experience when they called! We were thoroughly freaked out by this time, so we decided to ask some of the town's resident's about the house.

We found out that the house was always vacant within 6 months of it being rented out. Although we were scared, we still stayed because of how cheap it was.

One evening, we were in the living room watching TV. When we heard a huge thud against the basement door. When I say thud, I mean the whole wall shook and the door frame came loose. The door was locked, but we were scared and put a chair against it. We could hear growling on the other side and claws on the door, so we again got the gun. We figured at first that a wild animal must have gotten in there, so we went outside to check the entrance. It was bolted shut. We even checked the tiny windows, nothing broken.

We finally went back into the house and opened the basement door. Nothing there! I've never seen claw marks like that before or since. It was as if whatever had done it only had 3 toes! Besides, nothing that was indigenous to the area was 3 toed or could have gotten in there without opening the door or breaking the window! Not to mention, none of the local animals, say a bear, could have exerted that much force to warp a door frame! We moved a week later.

We could never really come up with any idea of what happened in that house or why. To this day, it remains a mystery. And to this day, nobody lives there for more than 6 months before leaving.

Posted by: BlackKitty7 ()
Date: June 02, 2013 03:53PM

This is something that happened 8 years ago. I haven't thought much about it, until recently that I read someone posting a question regarding a knocking ghost on answer.yahoo.com.

Anyway, I was living alone in a small studio in Falls Church, Virginia. I may have been living there for some months (probably weeks), when I started to notice some sort of noises coming from the ceiling in the middle of the night. That may not have been a problem, except that I was living on the 3rd floor, and above me was the roof. As for the noise, it was like some scratching, and even a knocking sound. I am not very good at locating sound, but I was pretty sure that it came from the studio corner, up in the wall toward the ceiling, just above my bed (and my head). It would just wake me up. I would turn up the lights to see where the sound was coming from, and it would temporarily stop. After I'd turn the lights off, it would resume after a while.

I tried to convince myself that it was some chipmunks, or other kind of animals making that noise... Although, what animal would be up in the middle of the night making that?

Other than that, I have never felt any kind of weird thing going on in that studio. However, I had never been very comfortable living there either. Probably I was also lonely and homesick (I was a foreign student working on a Master degree). I remember going to the bathroom at night, and walking directly to the toilet trying not to look at anything else (like the closet, the bathtub, and especially not to look at the bathroom mirror).

I remember the noise would come and go. One day I got pretty uncomfortable, and decided to get a pet for companion. I got a ferret from a pet store. A week later, some neighbour kids found some stray kittens, and I took a black one with me. I think since then, I stopped hearing the noises. I also felt more comfortable with the cat around me.

Posted by: alex's ()
Date: June 02, 2013 06:26PM

Everyone in northern Virginia has heard the legend of the Bunny Man Bridge and me being a teenager decided to go with some friends at night. It was about 11 pm when we got there, it was very creepy and spooky.

Driving up the bridge I put the high beams up so I could see everything. Me and my friends got out of the car and went on the bridge which has a railroad on it. We were there looking at our surroundings which were illuminated by the full moon. Out of now where we heard screaming, not yelling but screaming.
It was so scary we though someone was pulling a prank on us but we were the only ones there. Me and my other friend ran off the bridge while our third friend stayed on.

She soon came after us saying she saw something across from her. We got in the car and it wouldn't start. It was like straight out of a horror movie. We finally get it to start and drive away looking out onto the bridge searching for anyone or anything and saw nothing.

After 5 minutes we came back to the bridge and saw a train go by where we were standing. At first we thought it was a railroad warning sign going off but then realized why would there be one if there was no intersection on the railroad because the car road was below the bridge while the railroad was on the bridge.

Date: June 02, 2013 07:13PM

Are you serious? C'mon. Get real.

Posted by: Who Ya Gonna Call? ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:06AM

Who Ya Gonna Call?

Puzzling paranormal activity is heating up down in Occoquan, a town that's getting quite the reputation as a ghost capital of sorts. First there was the Rockledge Mansion and now they even have ghost tours. Spooky! Turns out the town even has its own "ghost buster," Kay Pietrewicz.

Apparently Pietrewicz, whose official title is paranormal investigator, keeps pretty busy. She recently investigated incidents at Puzzle Palooza, where Donna Carleton reported a possible ghostly presence. Turns out a ghostly child, a boy named Tad, may be haunting the shop, Pietrewicz surmised.

Puzzle Palooza opened earlier this year and sells puzzles of all kinds. Since opening the shop in February, Carleton and her business partner Holly VandenHeuvel said they observed many incidents that they chalk up to paranormal activity. We also hear Tad is pretty good at puzzles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Puzzle Palooza Owner Reports Possible Ghostly Presence in Occoquan
She brought in local paranormal investigator Kathleen "Kay" Pietrewicz to determine the nature of the possible haunting.

http://lakeridge.patch.com/articles/puzzle-palooza-owner-reports-possible-ghostly-presence-in-occoquan

A ghostly child may be haunting Puzzle Palooza in Occoquan, according to owner Donna Carleton and local paranormal investigator Kay Pietrewicz.

Puzzle Palooza opened earlier this year and sells puzzles of all kinds. Since opening the shop in February, Carleton and her business partner Holly VandenHeuvel have observed many incidents that they chalk up to paranormal activity.

Carleton met with Pietrewicz to ask her to communicate with this possible ghost.

A couple weeks after they opened, Carleton called VandenHeuvel's son and suggested that he close up shop early that day, since it was a rainy day.

"The first words out of his mouth were, 'We have a ghost!'" Pietrewicz said. "He went on to say that the lights kept flickering on and off. She dismissed this as just the effects of the stormy weather. Then he told her the internet kept going in and out. He then told her about the door coming open several times."

Pietrewicz asked if they had a back door, to determine whether one door could have opened from the draft from another door. However, the son insisted he had closed the door properly, and that it kept opening anyway.

"While she was on the phone with him she heard a bang in the background," Pietrewicz said. "She said, 'What was that?' He said a puzzle had just fallen of the shelf. Once again, there could be a logical explanation, but it made her question whether there might, in fact, be something paranormal happening."

VandenHeuvel also reported a strange encounter. After coming in to work one day, she put her lunch in the refrigerator in the back room. At noon, she came back to get her lunch, and noticed that there were four puzzle boxes set end to end just in front of the refrigerator door, so close that she would have disturbed the boxes had they been there when she had put her lunch into the refrigerator that morning, Pietrewicz said.

"Donna was very much intrigued by the events, so one day she left a floor puzzle out with a couple of pieces left to the side. When she came in the next day, she noticed a piece of the puzzle had been completed and that some towels she had put in the back had been left on top of the pile," Pietrewicz said. "Donna decided to try leaving another puzzle out on the bench. When she came in again, not only was the puzzle completed, but it was moved to another part of the bench."

After pulling out her TASCOM DR-05 recorder and dowsing rods, Pietrewicz set out to try to communicate with this reported ghost. From the recording and activity, Pietrewicz said that the building is haunted by a 7-year-old boy named Tad who was an only child. His father worked in Occoquan, and he did not have the use of his left arm.

Have you experienced any activity that you believe to be paranormal? Find out more about Haunted Occoquan at haunted-occoquan.com.
Attachments:
a2544730f33daf3c28066feedfacb40b.jpg

Posted by: Oakton - October 2007 ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:29AM

I was lying in bed, waiting to fall asleep. The blinds were open, so I looked outside, towards the north and east. Through the branches of a tree in my front yard, I saw three lights in a triangle formation, bouncing/jumping around in place. Honestly, it looked like something off TV, so I immediatly thought "aliens." I froze at first, then freaked out, panicked, and kind of lost it. I couldn't just close the blinds because if it was extraterrestrial it was too late to "hide." So I jumped out of bed, took my phone, started to leave my room, but went back to the window to check. It was still there. So I ran to my parents' room, where I eventually slept, after becoming extemely paranoid and almost hysterical. I shivered, hiding under the covers for almost another hour. I live right near I66, so every time a car went down the highway it sounded like a space craft to me. Before I made my dad close the blinds in their room, I saw a light in the wooded area behind my house, which could have just been from the street behind those woods, but I don't really know. The trees were still pretty dense as it wasn't quite winter yet.The experience was so strong that I'll NEVER forget the date or time or how paranoid I felt. Since then I sometimes get panic attacks when I'm the last one up, and trying to fall asleep. Every little noise makes me jump. The last big panic attack was Christmas Eve. I sleep with my cell phone and a stuffed animal and even a nightlight. I'm not prone to believe wild stories, or ghosts or aliens, but this experience has had a big impact on me. Even though I only saw the thing for a few seconds, it was how I felt that will really stick with me.

Date: June 04, 2013 07:56AM

Here's a place for you...

A Haunting Revisited
Self-proclaimed ghost hunter recalls her childhood living in Aspen Grove
http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/articles/a-haunting-revisited#photo-6827181

The ghost legend of Aspen Grove has been covered by the Washington Post, NBC, and a 2007 episode of HGTV’s “If These Walls Could Talk,” but never quite like it has been recently by author, medical transcriptionist, and ghost hunter Sharon Day.

In a three-part series on her blog GHOST THEOR1E5, Day relives her childhood in Aspen Grove, including details of relic discoveries, commentary on memorable events, as well as the effect the spirits may have had in the death of her family members after they moved away.

“I ask a lot questions of the field of the paranormal,” she said. “I talk about my experiences and invite the readers in for discussions that go back and forth and inspire new lines of thought.”

She got the idea for the blog in 2008 from her son, Alex, while bedridden from an Achilles tendon surgery. It's a “forum for the odd folk, paranormal theories, horror, humor; a real mind carnival," she said.

For Day, 48, that carnival began when she was 2 years old. She was the youngest of five children to move onto the estate. Her father worked for the postal office in Washington D.C. and her mother was an artist and historian who deeply loved the house for its illustrious past. As a child, Day roamed the property with a metal detector, finding old relics including bullets, cannonball fragments and, her favorite, a buried row of small tin soldiers.

Built in 1750, the Aspen Grove Estate was used by the Sagar family as a station in the Underground Railroad, before being fought over as a hospital by both sides during the Civil War.

The ghost might have been one of the many soldiers that died on the front lawn. Legend has it a barefoot Union soldier was killed on the lawn in the middle of the night. He's been looking for his boots ever since.

In her blog, Day recounts the first time she saw the chandelier begin to shake, causing the Waterford Crystal to jingle. She couldn't explain it away in a home with no heat or central air. Day said this incident was what made her want to gather equipment and ghost hunt as an adult, something now she does every month.

Day goes on to recount hearing sounds similar to people pulling out chairs, slamming fists on the table, running up and down the stairs, and even arguing.

“I grew up thinking the things you heard or caught glimpses of were normal,” she explained. “When you're a baby growing up with phenomena, it's a part of 'normal' physics, like when a kid throws a ball in the air and it comes back down. They don't ask why. Well, a couple times I saw things move on their own and it seemed normal. I didn't question it. I was older when I realized it was unusual.”

The strange incidents didn't stop, even after the family moved out of the estate. Her father, brother and sister died in a span of 11 years, all under bizarre circumstances. Oddly enough, the new tenants insisted that they saw her father at an outdoor dinner party while he was physically lying on his deathbed in an Arizona hospital.

Day isn't the only one with stories to tell.

Former owner Joanne McGregor told the Burke connection: “He’s a good ghost, just a little clumsy."

Bob Garfield published an article in an 1996 edition of the Washington Post about his time on the estate, claiming the ghost stories were the creaks and groans of an old house. But he couldn’t offer a very plausible explanation as to how a set of cabinets were ripped out of the wall with only his young daughter as a witness.

Today, the house is inhabited by realtor Betsy Rutkowski, who in 10 years has only heard the occasional footstep on the stairs. Twice the overhead light in the master bedroom turned on in the middle of the night, she said. Oddly enough, both Rutkowski’s stepdaughters and Sharon Day felt the same sensation of a “ghost” touching them on the feet in their sleep.

“We found out about the ‘ghosts’ after we made the offer,” she said. “I loved the house so much, I told myself we would live amongst ‘them’ and would not bother ‘them’ if they did not bother us.”

Although Rutkowski has yet to read the blog, she occasionally exchanges emails with Day, who likes to check in on the ghosts of her past. She believes her deceased family is now there in spirit.

“My ultimate dream,” Day wrote. “Is to go there (Aspen Grove) for a hunt with my team, the right equipment and a film crew to document a hunt like no other; a predetermined hunt with spirits waiting and willing to make contact.”

It seems Day will have to wait to fulfill this desire, as Rutkowski wants no part in the exploration.

“I am open to folks visiting the house for history’s sake and appreciation,” she said. “But I would absolutely not like the idea of conjuring up spirits, ghosts… I would not want to disturb any peaceful souls.”
Attachments:
10e092a5f555785c64c8bd8b645b4cde.jpg
8c80c0cfdde8f6f10a0d61f68364d55c.jpg
c3fe2bed3dff2591dd1d8f0db7ad9c92.jpg
cf8924c1445cc270b11834b922c174d4.jpg
d7b3f6ec75d8f24c45fbcbf8b720bec2.jpg

Posted by: sally's ()
Date: June 05, 2013 07:59AM

In a house in Centreville (my house) there are at least 10 to 15 ghosts and spirits. The house looks normal inside and outside but if you are a medium or physic like me... You are in for a suprize. This home is filled with spirits you hear noises day and nite! If you knock twice...They knock twice back! I even have a recording of their voices! My friends are afraid of my house! :o I have many experiences with these ''dead friends'' of mine :) ! Have you?.

Posted by: Anonymous1 ()
Date: June 05, 2013 08:04AM

While flying towards the Dulles airfield from the west there appeared an air force jet at a nearby distance close to the right wing of the commercial airliner and disappeared within sight. This happened over a mountainous area as the airliner was approaching its landing destination.

Posted by: Cliff was ()
Date: June 05, 2013 08:36AM

Back in the early 90s when the Manasses Mall had the movie theater my girlfriend whom I married went there to see Spawn. While sitting in the theater and we were the only two there my girlfriend looked over to her right and saw a black shadow walking up the isle. I was sitting on the right side of her and you may think I am going to say she was imagining things. However how could she imagine that a black shadow was walking up the Isle and I saw it too?

The scary part was that I was closest to it.

Posted by: Josh1973 ()
Date: June 05, 2013 09:24AM

I've lived in my parents house in Manassas VA for 25 years. They still live there. I finally moved out and down the road a mile. Anyways my parents are the original owners of the house. It is off parkstreet .

I remember the neighborhood where Confederate trail is was a big field. Now it's all houses. I was a little kid and thought my mom came home but it was not her. Well my wife was showing a friend of ours her house and they went downstairs into basement and turned the corner and a woman with long dress hair up . She said she felt like she walked in on her by accident. She freaked out and rran.

Posted by: Josue in Man asses ()
Date: June 05, 2013 10:52AM

One night me and my friend decided to sneak out and run away from stuff. We decided to go and walk the railroad tracks in older town to my house. As we got further into the tracks it would get darker. To the point were no human nor lights were to be seen for a while. Out of the blue we here a woman scream the scream was so close we started running and we heard the scream one last time then a gunshot. There were no news stories of a woman being shot the next day. Could there be the spirit of young woman still lurking the tracks?

Posted by: The Bunnyman Cometh! ()
Date: June 05, 2013 07:19PM

Beware the Bunnyman!
Attachments:
tumblr_kx50ruFzy21qzmopno1_400.gif

Posted by: Javier ()
Date: June 06, 2013 07:04AM

I am posting this for the janitor in my building. He claims that there is a ghost that talks to him and bangs on stuff in one of the empty offices. The ghost also turns lights on and he also can feel a presence when he enters the office.
I went with him the other day and I too felt it and also got major goose bumps. He just wants to know what the ghost wants so he can help him. This is in the Fairbrook Drive building in Herndon.

Posted by: Franklin Farm Ghosts ()
Date: June 06, 2013 07:12AM

I lived in franklin farms. During my 2 years there our home had many occurrences. The bathroom light fixture flew off the wall. Not straight down but flew to the other side of the wall during a family birthday party.

I came home one night and heard a growl in my ear. No one else was home. My daughter came flying down the stairs in a panic one night. Our TV in the bedroom kept going on and off. But what really got her was when my wedding picture flew off the side bedstand!

My neighbor across the street was woken by a Civil War solder standing at the foot of her bed. Her daughter in law also saw this on a seperat occation. From reserching the area framklin farms was the scene of a Civil War battlefield.

Posted by: neighbor ()
Date: June 06, 2013 07:24AM

Franklin Farm Ghosts Wrote:
> I lived in franklin farms. During my 2 years there
> our home had many occurrences. The bathroom light
> fixture flew off the wall. Not straight down but
> flew to the other side of the wall during a family
> birthday party.
>
> I came home one night and heard a growl in my ear.
> No one else was home. My daughter came flying down
> the stairs in a panic one night. Our TV in the
> bedroom kept going on and off. But what really got
> her was when my wedding picture flew off the side
> bedstand!
>
> My neighbor across the street was woken by a Civil
> War solder standing at the foot of her bed. Her
> daughter in law also saw this on a seperat
> occation. From reserching the area framklin farms
> was the scene of a Civil War battlefield.

I have a close relative that lives in Herndon VA Franklin farm development on thorngate Dr. For years I've know the house haunted. My many visits to to house and I have also resided there for the last few years.

My experience has been shared with other family member. First case once I was in the house alone about 19 years ago as I sat in the family room I hard loud and clear someone heavy footsteps come up out of the basement into the foyer and open the front door. I yelled out expecting a reply and no one did. I got up and search front door was locked. I was so scared I wanted to leave then and there. Second occurrence was I conversing with two relatives in the kicten and one the owner of the house and suddlenly a huge 30lb picture slammed from the dining room wall now the picture hung over a a credenza which had a lot of glassware, and wine decantors the huge picture was found by myself lying on the dining room floor flat on it's face between the dining table and the credenza not a single glass item broken. It was though something had slammed it down. I also witnessed a wedding picture hurl from a bookshelf mid air to the floor third event my child and her cousin witness a tall dark shadow floating from the upstairs to the living during a thanksgiving dinner prayer. At night I hear and see the hall light go out and also footsteps

Posted by: bathory313 ()
Date: June 06, 2013 07:32AM

This happened to me about a month or so ago, and I have posted it in a couple of places; one place for entertainment of others, and one place to try to find some answers to this encounter.

I have been having ghost experiences since I was very young; I am now 39 and quite seasoned at ghostly contact. I have seen and heard them, and also felt them touch me. I have had one encounter with an animal ghost, and a couple of encounters with shadow ghosts. This last experience, though, seems to have combined the two, and has left me a bit frightened.

I had JUST laid down in bed, and was facing my bedroom windows; lying on my right side. I am in the third town home from the corner; there is a streetlight on the corner, which affords a bit of light into the bedroom. I also have a 2-ft black light in the bedroom, which burns constantly. I was lying there, and noticed what I thought was my Papillon, with this forepaws up on the mattress, appearing to look at me intently. I stared at "him" for awhile, and I noticed that his figure wasn't moving... This is uncharacteristic of a 2-year old Pap, so I began examining the shadow a bit more in depth. I noted that the shadow was really, really dark... Darker than a normal shadow of an animal should have been. The "thing" also did not have my boy's butterfly ears; it appeared to be more the size and shape of a large house cat. I wanted to reach out to touch it, to see if it was real, but something told me I dare not do that.

I suddenly became very afraid (this thing was about 6 inches from my face, since I tend to sleep toward the very edge of the mattress) I squeezed my eyes shut for about a minute, and then reopened them to see the thing still there. I kept staring at it, angry and scared, and it began doing this weird motion with its head. Picture a cat moving its head in an "infinity" symbol shape; like a sideways '8'. I became VERY scared at this point, it was almost as if it wanted to hypnotize me. I closed my eyes again for a minute, and when I looked again the thing was gone.

Whatever this was, I feel it was very ancient, but lower-level, spiritually. As strange as this is going to sound, I feel that it was trying to get me out of my physical body to go on a journey that I did NOT want to take. I don't know if this was a shadow ghost (I usually see them as very dark, fast-moving shadows on the floor around my feet) or if this was some kind of psychic attack. I do know that this thing felt very malevolent and sinister... I did not like the way its essence or energy felt to me.

This has disturbed me since it happened. I was only able to bring myself to write about it a few nights ago! I came here searching for answers, perhaps someone knows what this could have been?

This has bothered me more than any old human spirit ever could... This thing was NOT HUMAN, and never was.

Ideas, comments, suggestions? Thanks in advance for reading this!

Posted by: Jessyness646 ()
Date: June 06, 2013 07:39AM

Helllllll yes I believe in ghosts. And by the way, just to point it out, don't they sometimes call the Holy Spirit the Holy Ghost? Anyway. I have lived in numerous haunted places where creepy things have happened and my mother and sister have seen ghosts. I actually saw a ghosts years ago, no lie, running around my friend's yard. We were all playin outside and we saw this guy running like dressed in prison garb, it was like a gray suit i think, and we start chasing this guy because ya know we were little and dumb and we're like why's this guy running around our yard? AND THEN HE DISAPPEARS. AND THEN HE REAPPEARED. It was freaky man, he just kept disappearing, and reappearing.

Ok, maybe we were all hallucinating. I doubt it, but possibly. But Now I actually have a picture of a ghost. We took two pictures, or my sister did, of me sitting on my ex's lap and we were facing eachother, making funny faces, it was a mad funny picture. My cat was sitting between us. First picture, there's a couple red blurs, a small one to the right of us, a huge one to the left, and if you look at the one on the left, you can totally see it's the shape of a man wearing like 1800 clothes with long hair and his fists clenched just staring down at us, and my cat is totally freaking out in this pic. Then, in the next pic, absolutely nothing, and my cat's like asleep. You'd have to see it to believe it, it's so detailed, it's creepy.

Also, if you look up Norwich Hospital, in Norwich, Ct, there's some crazy ghost stories about that place too. So I went there and crawled through a window once, in the day because i'm a wuss, and it was just creepy. I didn't see a ghost, but I had this all around creepy bad feeling. Not even a scared feeling, just bad, like something bad had happened there or was going to. i had to get out, it was so freakin scary. But I totally believe in ghosts, all the way, I know they exist. I also used to hear them running around in my attic....and no it wasn't a racoon or something, way too big to be that....I KNOW they exist.

Posted by: Like a good neighbor... ()
Date: June 06, 2013 07:55AM

neighbor Wrote:
> Franklin Farm Ghosts Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I lived in franklin farms. During my 2 years
> there
> > our home had many occurrences. The bathroom
> light
> > fixture flew off the wall. Not straight down
> but
> > flew to the other side of the wall during a
> family
> > birthday party.
> >
> > I came home one night and heard a growl in my
> ear.
> > No one else was home. My daughter came flying
> down
> > the stairs in a panic one night. Our TV in the
> > bedroom kept going on and off. But what really
> got
> > her was when my wedding picture flew off the
> side
> > bedstand!
> >
> > My neighbor across the street was woken by a
> Civil
> > War solder standing at the foot of her bed. Her
> > daughter in law also saw this on a seperat
> > occation. From reserching the area framklin
> farms
> > was the scene of a Civil War battlefield.
>
>
> I have a close relative that lives in Herndon VA
> Franklin farm development on thorngate Dr. For
> years I've know the house haunted. My many visits
> to to house and I have also resided there for the
> last few years.
>
> My experience has been shared with other family
> member. First case once I was in the house alone
> about 19 years ago as I sat in the family room I
> hard loud and clear someone heavy footsteps come
> up out of the basement into the foyer and open the
> front door. I yelled out expecting a reply and no
> one did. I got up and search front door was
> locked. I was so scared I wanted to leave then and
> there. Second occurrence was I conversing with two
> relatives in the kicten and one the owner of the
> house and suddlenly a huge 30lb picture slammed
> from the dining room wall now the picture hung
> over a a credenza which had a lot of glassware,
> and wine decantors the huge picture was found by
> myself lying on the dining room floor flat on it's
> face between the dining table and the credenza not
> a single glass item broken. It was though
> something had slammed it down. I also witnessed a
> wedding picture hurl from a bookshelf mid air to
> the floor third event my child and her cousin
> witness a tall dark shadow floating from the
> upstairs to the living during a thanksgiving
> dinner prayer. At night I hear and see the hall
> light go out and also footsteps

I lived in Franklin Farm with my parents for about 10 years, right off Franklin Farm Road itself. My house was haunted per se, but we did have some unusual things that happened in our house, in our guest bed room. One time we heard strange sounds coming from that room, that would disappear into a small closet in there. Never found out what it was, but it was gone shortly after it started. It felt like there was always someone in the room, there was that warmth of presence in there always. (A nice family warmth). We filled that room with a lot of my grandparent’s furniture, so maybe it attracted them to that room in the house, I don’t know. We never really saw anything.

As for Franklin Farm itself, I used hear a lot of ghost stories around there, with people seeing strange things on the path. I myself saw a gigantic snake on the path there near the community center/pool near the front entrance of Franklin Farm off of West Ox Road. I was about 15 years old at the time and this snake had to have been about 40 plus feet long, and probably something like an anaconda or python because its head was about 2-3 times the size of my hand. A friend and I ran into this thing when we were moving a TV from my house to his on the paths, he lived over on Dower house road and I lived down at the last house on the side of Franklin Farm road just before the group of ponds. We ran into the snake when it was almost dark and I mistook it for some kind of strange log or tree limb that was on the path. I went to move it out of the way, and I nearly touched the snake’s head thinking it was the end of a branch or something. When it moved (head and then body) we then realized it was a freaking huge snake. We were so scared that when we ran, we knocked over the TV and the rolling stand it was on, and destroyed it (pieces all over the path). Later on we heard about the snake being seen around the pond, and one night I ran over it when it was crossing the road near the community center/pool. I think I killed it with my Ford Escort.

Posted by: restonites ()
Date: June 06, 2013 07:59AM

In about 1970 my cousin and I were driving to the town lake from Springfield where we lived. At that time the area around the lake was all that had any kind of houses that were close together. On the way we saw a mist that was approximately four feet high and three wide floating from out of the woods on one side of the road and it proceeded across the road to the woods on the other side of the road.

Neither one of us mentioned the episode until we were about five miles further down the road and then it was just to acknowledge that we each saw the same thing. We didn't speak of it again for years.

Posted by: believers ()
Date: June 06, 2013 08:00AM

Jessyness646 Wrote:
> Helllllll yes I believe in ghosts. And by the way,
> just to point it out, don't they sometimes call
> the Holy Spirit the Holy Ghost? Anyway. I have
> lived in numerous haunted places where creepy
> things have happened and my mother and sister have
> seen ghosts. I actually saw a ghosts years ago, no
> lie, running around my friend's yard. We were all
> playin outside and we saw this guy running like
> dressed in prison garb, it was like a gray suit i
> think, and we start chasing this guy because ya
> know we were little and dumb and we're like why's
> this guy running around our yard? AND THEN HE
> DISAPPEARS. AND THEN HE REAPPEARED. It was freaky
> man, he just kept disappearing, and reappearing.
>
> Ok, maybe we were all hallucinating. I doubt it,
> but possibly. But Now I actually have a picture of
> a ghost. We took two pictures, or my sister did,
> of me sitting on my ex's lap and we were facing
> eachother, making funny faces, it was a mad funny
> picture. My cat was sitting between us. First
> picture, there's a couple red blurs, a small one
> to the right of us, a huge one to the left, and if
> you look at the one on the left, you can totally
> see it's the shape of a man wearing like 1800
> clothes with long hair and his fists clenched just
> staring down at us, and my cat is totally freaking
> out in this pic. Then, in the next pic, absolutely
> nothing, and my cat's like asleep. You'd have to
> see it to believe it, it's so detailed, it's
> creepy.
>
> Also, if you look up Norwich Hospital, in Norwich,
> Ct, there's some crazy ghost stories about that
> place too. So I went there and crawled through a
> window once, in the day because i'm a wuss, and it
> was just creepy. I didn't see a ghost, but I had
> this all around creepy bad feeling. Not even a
> scared feeling, just bad, like something bad had
> happened there or was going to. i had to get out,
> it was so freakin scary. But I totally believe in
> ghosts, all the way, I know they exist. I also
> used to hear them running around in my
> attic....and no it wasn't a racoon or something,
> way too big to be that....I KNOW they exist.

I was at a party by a pond at 10 pm when I decided to take a break with my sister on a gazibo on a pond. We hung out for a while when my sister needed to go back to the party to get something so I was by myself in the dark. I looked back to the path going towards the party to see if my sister was coming back and I saw a white figure walking on the path going towards the party. My sister came back and she asked if I saw it. She claimed she saw a woman dressed in all white. My sister tried to say hello but the woman wouldn't respond. I'm still kind of creeped out by it.

Posted by: Hunters Woods ()
Date: June 06, 2013 08:21AM

Reston VA corner of Park glen court and north shore Dr. It's a dead end! There's nothing but a downward drop into the woods if you were to keep going. It was night time coming back home with my two of my friends and my younger brother.

I was driving at the end of N. Shore there's a culdesac and a Street light at the end of glen court. I was making u-turn at the end of N. Shore. The street light was blinking and no one was around as I made my turn to go back out a lady in a red dress appears out of nowhere on the corner of glen CT.
It happened so fast everyone in the car jumped and yelled. After I passed by I stopped the car turned my head and she was gone. I can't explain it I was in shock. No one got out of the car for another 15mins!.

Reston hunters woods area I have experienced many events over the years in my townhouse. I have had items disappear only to be found months later in the same spot they disappeared from. Lights blink for no reason appliances turn themselves on.

My neighbor has had similar experiences at her home. I have seen a ghostly woman in wearing 19th century clothes and a young African American girl attired similarly. My cat would sit for hours just staring at the same spot.

Posted by: Curious One ()
Date: June 06, 2013 08:23AM

Javier Wrote:
> I am posting this for the janitor in my building.
> He claims that there is a ghost that talks to him
> and bangs on stuff in one of the empty offices.
> The ghost also turns lights on and he also can
> feel a presence when he enters the office.
> I went with him the other day and I too felt it
> and also got major goose bumps. He just wants to
> know what the ghost wants so he can help him. This
> is in the Fairbrook Drive building in Herndon.

Javier, what does the ghost say to the janitor? Does he see the ghost a lot?

Posted by: Ruritan ()
Date: June 06, 2013 08:25AM

This didn't take place in Fairfax, but I thought everyone would like to to read it anyway!

The occurrence took place in Sterling, VA, Ruritan road.. The old spot where you go play bingo
and get some good ol' country food. Mmm. I lived right by it, 10 ft away. One night a summer night
I was out letting out some steam, I remember clearly that I was Indian position on the floor and I
was on a dirt one way road.

Very isolated area. When I saw a black slave woman with dirty old clothes on messed up hair and shackles.
She was just walking away down the road. Out of nowhere.. Like I just felt a overwhelming sadness and laid
back and cried. The second I closed my eyes she was gone and a big cold air blew and I just stood there stuck.
Shocked. I couldn't believe she was like right there for a good 45 seconds. In her 20s. I've worked in the
Ruritan and I've heard strange noises and my daughter running to me a few times. It was crazy.

Posted by: Alex2013 ()
Date: June 06, 2013 08:26AM

One day I was doing homework in my room on my desk with my back turned towards the door and my brother walks in and ask me if I want to go to the mall with him and mom. I say no and hear the door slam as they leave.
Someone (who I assumed was my brother) walked into my room and left quickly. I soon realized that my mom and brother had left and my dad was at work. I called my brother scared and he said he left a while ago and hadn't been home since.

It was so scary knowing someone I didn't know came into my room. Also one day I came home from school put a microwaveable soup in the microwave and took out a spoon from the cupboard. I distinctly remember closing the drawer.
I go change and come back and all the drawers a open perfectly half way, each and every one of them. Also on one occasion me and my brother both woke up ( we share a room and have bunk beds) at the exact same time in the middle of the night because we could feel someone in our room but our room was too dark to see anything and we were even afraid to talk to each other. .

Posted by: ghost of my neice ()
Date: June 06, 2013 08:29AM

It's been two weeks ago that my niece died and she has already been back to let me know she's alright. Because the light in my bedroom was flickering.
She smoked to because the next day I found a cigarette in the guest bedroom .

I asked the rest of my family did they put it there and they said no. Then the next day myself and one of my family members smelled cigarette smoke.
Than I went back to the guest bedroom to see if the cigarette was still there and it was gone .

She had come back to get her cigarette . She was such a beautiful person and a very special aura about her . I miss her so . I love you sweetie .
Where ever you are. Wish you were still here with me . You will always be my bff .

Posted by: poltergeist ()
Date: June 06, 2013 08:29AM

We have a poltergeist that lives in our walk-in closet we have named matilda. She is so disruptive we have to be sure we shut the closet door each night - and do it faithfully to get some peaceful sleep.

Recently we were awakened when our cats were crying loudly at 2:00 am. We heard the cats but couldn't find them. After a search we found both cats were locked in the walk-in closet. We have no explanation how the cats got into the closet.

Posted by: Sugarland/Sterling ()
Date: June 06, 2013 08:31AM

Ruritan Wrote:
> This didn't take place in Fairfax, but I thought
> everyone would like to to read it anyway!
>
> The occurrence took place in Sterling, VA, Ruritan
> road.. The old spot where you go play bingo
> and get some good ol' country food. Mmm. I lived
> right by it, 10 ft away. One night a summer night
> I was out letting out some steam, I remember
> clearly that I was Indian position on the floor
> and I
> was on a dirt one way road.
>
> Very isolated area. When I saw a black slave woman
> with dirty old clothes on messed up hair and
> shackles.
> She was just walking away down the road. Out of
> nowhere.. Like I just felt a overwhelming sadness
> and laid
> back and cried. The second I closed my eyes she
> was gone and a big cold air blew and I just stood
> there stuck.
> Shocked. I couldn't believe she was like right
> there for a good 45 seconds. In her 20s. I've
> worked in the
> Ruritan and I've heard strange noises and my
> daughter running to me a few times. It was crazy.

It was in the summer of last year . When I went for a walk on the walking path in sugarland in Sterling . I saw this girl standing by a tree she was crying and holding a suit case . Than as I got closer to her she walked up to me and said I'm running away from home .

I said I'm sorry to hear . I looked up the walking path to see where she went and she was gone. I asked someone that has lived here for many years . And they told me the little girl is nine years old she got mad at her parents .

And she was running away than she changed her mind and was headed back home and a drunk driver had hit her and killed her . I could tell she was a ghost she was pale and had the look of a nine year old back in the seventies.

Posted by: store/sterling ()
Date: June 06, 2013 09:30AM

In a store, a noise comes out from the room - a glass bottle on the floor. We, four people in the waiting
room, come inside to see who in there. But we don't see anyone or anything on the floor. One day, we see a
wax from a candle on the wall and the floor. At night before we go home, we turn off all light. But in the
morning, all lights are on. It is happening at Sterling area.

Posted by: creepy smoking man ()
Date: June 06, 2013 10:03AM

There's a story of a man that walks at night he wears a long black coat and he smokes a cigarette.
One night when my brother went out to the garage he said he saw a man walking up the street and he
was smoking a cigarette and he got two houses down from ours and he disappeared when I started asking
some people in the other neighborhoods someone told me that man got hit by a car many years ago he
was walking home that night and someone hit him so he's still trying to go home to this day. He's a
tall man about six foot tall because I've seen him too.

Posted by: Haunted Virginia ()
Date: June 06, 2013 12:14PM

Virginia is supposed to be one of the most haunted states in the United States. Believe it or not but Virginia has all kinds of spooky paranormal things going on including a few ghosts and a vampire or two. If you take a few minutes to read the stories below you'll read all about the more famous ghost stories from all over the great state of Virginia.

Arlington Cemetery is supposed to be one of the most haunted locations in the state of Virginia. It is the Old Post Chapel at Arlington Cemetery that is supposed to be a hot bed of paranormal activity. Thousands of military men's funerals were held in the Old Post Chapel and it appears a few of them weren't quite ready for eternal rest. Soldiers on duty in and around the Old Post Chapel report that locked doors will be found open and open doors will be closed and locked. A woman crying loudly is often heard just inside the front of the chapel. A beautiful dark haired Spanish woman in black mourning clothes is often seen setting in the chapel but when she is approached she vanishes. Many soldiers on guard duty late at night have reported loud organ music coming from the locked Old Post Chapel. A small boy is quite often seen running through the chapel but he vanishes as quickly as he appears.

Over in Fairfax at the George Mason University there is a gazebo near the campus lake and a young man with water dripping off of him is quite often spotted in the gazebo. People who approach him say he is very sad looking and looks to be crying. There is said to also be water dripping off of him. It is reported that around 1920 that a young man did in fact leave a suicide note in the gazebo and then he drowned himself in the campus lake.

In Manassas Virginia their is a ghost called Lucy who is said to haunt the Old Town Inn and that she is both a playful spooky ghost and a ghoulish one also. It is said that she will appear to people at first as quite normal but then she will deteriorate right in front of people and look and smell like a rotting female corpse.

Colonial Williamsburg is supposedly a hot bed of paranormal activity with ghosts around every corner. Bacon's Castle is supposed to be Virginia's oldest home dating back to 1665 is home to several ghosts and plenty of mysteries. A ball of blue light is often spotted both inside and outside the house and it has been seen by many many people over the years. Some people have claimed the ball of blue light has been seen to roll across the yard , up the outside wall of the house and then it seems to perch at the highest point of the roof. A black woman's head is seen floating around the property with a white turban on. People quite often see it and freak slap out.

Items in the Bacon Castle are said to be quite often thrown around and books will be found thrown off shelf's and furniture over turned when the house is opened up in the morning. A ghost cat is said to live in the house. It is said to be a large yellow cat of around 20 pounds and its said that the cat will walk across the room , leap up on someones lap and vanish.

A horse and buggy is often heard riding up outside the house but no house and buggy is ever seen. The house has even been heard to neigh and its said you can hear the horses hoofs on the ground.

Posted by: weasal ()
Date: June 06, 2013 02:07PM

I went to stay over at a friend’s place last year when his parents went out of town. There were 6 of us there and I was the only one who didn’t drink or smoke weed (strict teetotaller here)

Anyway, when we get there (new house) our friend informs us that the place is haunted and ‘freaky stuff’ had been happening. His parents even hired a few Hindu priests to exorcise the place with certain pujas and rituals to cleanse the place of unexplainable activity (even though his dad is a dyed in the wool atheist/rationalist with two PhDs, he still decided to cover all the bases when weird things began to happen).

At first the night was going well. We were having fun, the guys were slowly getting drunk and high, while I stayed sober. It only took a turn for the weird when we heard a noise and upon investigating, realized that someone locked my friend’s sister’s room while we were all sitting together in the hall.

The others were freaking out but I borrowed a set of keys to unlock the door and investigate by myself. Looked at every nook and cranny of the place and didn’t find anything suspicious. Called my friend in and he saw nothing was wrong either. We then decided to call the 4 other friends into the room.

When we returned a few seconds later, I shit you not, every goddamn shelf, drawer and cupboard in the room (even the ones too high to be reached unless you stand on a chair/are 7 feet tall) had been opened in the brief amount of time we stepped out of the room.

By now everyone was pretty terrified and high and having a bad trip, and they kept asking me for reassurance figuring that I should have a reasonable explanation (being the sober one). I don’t and we all go to my friend’s bedroom and decide to pass time by watching anime till the sun comes up.

As we were watching an episode of ‘Bleach’, one of my friends who was unfamiliar with the show asked ‘what’s the story about?’ before i casually said “oh, it’s about Gods of death who help souls cross over to the next world and..”
Before I could finish my sentence, all the taps in the bathroom switched on (the bathroom door was open and in our line of sight) and water gushed forth violently for a few seconds before it switched itself off.

Everyone freaked. We didn’t sleep a wink and went home at first light.
This is where the story ended but then a week later, when my friend’s family returns to town, his older sister (who is mentally challenged and is very child like) spends all day talking to herself in her room. He doesn’t let it bother him till she walks up to him and says “You had a party here with your friends when we were gone. You were drinking whiskey.”

When my friend freaked wondering who told her that, she just replied “My new friend. I was speaking to him in the room just now.”
Needless to stay, none of us stayed over there again.

Posted by: Stories Told At Sea ()
Date: June 07, 2013 06:46AM

background, I am a warfare officer in the Australian Navy and I drive warships. The easiest way to describe my job is the person who pilots the ship for 4 hour shifts, and when the Captain walks onto the bridge, he often takes control of the ship off me, if he requests it. As such, I often have a team of about 3-4 on the bridge at any one time consisting of a helmsman (who physically drives and controls the engines on my behalf), a more senior ‘quarter master’ (QM…whose job is to make sure the admin of the bridge happens while i am busy navigating/talking to the operations room) and another junior warfare officer under training to learn my job, if we have a few of them onboard. ‘Watches’ are 4 hours long, with the usual rotation being 4 hours on, 8 hours off. As such, one of the +most bemoaned watch rosters is being the person who gets the afternoon (12-4pm)-graveyard shift (Midnight-4am), also known in Navy slang as the ‘Arvo and Guts Watch’. This watch is hated as it gives you the most broken sleep, as everyone onboard normally has to be up and about at 6:45am to start the day. I digress.

What this means, is that if you are unlucky enough to get the midnight-4am watch, you need to stay awake. Being up on the bridge of a warship, you need to have everything dark so as to not ruin your night vision out the windows and into the sea beyond. 80% of the ship is asleep, and I personally enjoy the quiet ‘downtime’. Weird conversations happen, and more often than not, people start talking about weird things that have happened to them. I will never forget the one night I was on a patrol boat in the middle of the Arafura Sea in northern Australia, and the story two of the sailors told me.

A patrol boat is smaller then normal warships, so I only had a helmsman on watch with me. We were hundreds of miles in the middle of the ocean, and were just having a coffee and a laugh while we sat in the dimly red-lit dark of the bridge, the muffled thrum of the ship’s engines, the sound of our bow cutting through the dark water and the muted static of our VHF radio scanning empty channels being the only sounds. Every now and then the wind would pick up and you’d hear the howl before it deposited a thin spray of salt water into our bridge windows. Hopefully I have set the scene and made you feel what it is like to be in the middle of nowhere late at night.

One of the senior engineers had wandered up to the bridge for a coffee and he was sitting on the stairs that led up to the upper deck from the bridge, and I had just finished telling my story about our old house to the sailor on the helm, who was a bit freaked out! The helmsman then told me his story….and needless to say, it in turn freaked me out. And I generally like a good ‘unexplained story’. His story really re-enforced my wariness of ouija boards/seances, as this was the prime factor behind the weirdness of the afore-mentioned house I lived in as a toddler. His story is as follows….

THE HOSPITAL SEANCE
To begin with, the sailor told me how before joining the Navy, he used to work as a wardsman at the Royal Brisbane Hospital in early 2001. He said it was a great place to work, with other young wardsmen for company, and as he put it ‘heaps of hot young nurses.’ A few of the girls were into seances and a few of them were living on the hospital grounds in accommodation while they did their internships. One of the girls suggested that one night they go into an abandoned ward and conduct a seance, because as anyone who works in a long-established hospital will tell you, they are normally hotbeds of weird activity. (My mother is a 30 year midwife and she has some things she said she can’t explain…like mothers reporting a ‘smiling, kindly old matron with a weird hat who came and checked on me in the middle of the night and patted my baby to sleep’…despite there only being 2 young nurses on that shift all night, but I again digress). Thinking it sounded like fun, he said yes, and a few nights later after work, a few of them (plus a few nurses he hadn’t met before) all went up to the disused ward and set up the ouija board.

He said they started the seance and the glass started to move as they had ‘apparently’ contacted a spirit. He scoffed and thought it was a joke, as the glass was moving randomly with everyone putting a finger on it. Of course he thought that the others were moving the glass. He said someone was given a pen and a paper and told to scribe anything that happened. Little did he know that their innocent night was about to get really weird…

Apparently someone asked this spirit, ‘What is your name?’ The glass moved and spelled out ‘N-I-G-E-L.’ They all laughed and someone else asked, ‘Are you Good or Evil?’ (I have goosebumps as I type this) and the glass moved over to ‘EVIL.’ Still scoffing, the sailor said some other questions were asked, but they got back a lot of jibberish. Suddenly, about 2 mins later he said the glass started going absolutely nuts, and some people started goetting uneasy. Despite this, it seemed to be following a pattern so someone told the guy scribing to write down what the glass was moving to. He got something like the following, and slowly it started making words. Apparently it read, ‘I-L-L-B-A-B-Y-C-A-S-S-I-K-I-L-L-B-A-B-Y-C-A…..’ After a few more repetitions the guy scribing went, ‘Kill baby Cassi…..oh, Cassi kill baby? What the hell does that mean??’ (I joke you not here when I tell you this, the sailor telling me the story said this screwed/disturbed him for quite a while) One of the girls in the circle turned pale, held her hand to her mouth and ran from the room sobbing hysterically, like a wailing cry of utter terror. He said one of the guys went ‘Haha what’s up with her?’.

One of the other nurses went outside to console her, and the story came back as such. The girl who ran outside confessed to the other girl that she had had a secret abortion 3 weeks prior after finding out she was pregnant. She told NO ONE about the abortion, not her parents, not even her own boyfriend. Her name? You guessed it, was Cassie. That pretty much wrapped up the night, and horrified, the rest of them finished the seance and swore never to do it again.

After he finished telling me this, I was pretty freaked out, but the other older sailor (he was in his 40s) just sat there and said nothing, and drank his coffee. Trying to lighten the mood, I said ‘that was a good story, but what about you Chief (his rank), surely you have a good one you have heard?’ I noticed he was looking really uncomfortable so being a great people manager/officer (lol), I decided to go for the jugular and shame him into telling it. ‘C’mon chief, tell us!’, I jibed. I probably should have left it there, but he decided to tell us. I don’t know if it was true or not, but in hindsight, judging how reluctant he was to tell the two of us, and how freaked out he looked when he told us, it’s inclined to make me think.

HIS STORY
To set it up, this guy was/is (as I mentioned) in his 40s. He’s been in the Navy for over 20 years working in the engine room as the Chief Engineering sailor, so he’s not a weak-willed guy prone to getting scared. From his posture, and the look on his face, I could tell he was really reluctant to tell his story. I’ve heard sailors tell stroies before (and I’ve heard some good ones) and you can tell when someone is pulling your leg. This guy was flat out scared. I almost felt bad that I tried to conjole the story out of him.

Anyway, his story started when he was 6. He said he was in Grade 2 of what some of you American readers would know as Elementary School. They had to make paper-maiche dolls for Mother’s Day, and he said he ended up making a clown marionette/puppet that was suspended on strings. He said his mother loved it immediately, and loved the fact that it was probably the first really creative thing he had made at school and prior that at kindergarden. She insisted he hang this doll off the curtain rail above his bed, as she loved seeing it hung up ion his room for ‘extra colour’.

Now being 6 years old, he said the novelty of having a clown puppet hanging over his head in bed at night started getting out of hand. After a year or so, he said he actually began to really resent the clown being there. He said he especially hated waking up in the middle of the night and seeing it leering down at him….after a while he started to realise that he hated the clown, and his imagination probably made it worse, as he felt like he was being ‘watched’ of a night time, or whenever he was in his room. He told his mother that he didn’t want it hung up above his bed anymore, but he said he could tell she really hurt by the diea of taking it down, as she really loved it being there. (I would have thought she should have hung it above HER bed, but I held my tongue!) One day, after freaking out in his sleep once too often, he took it down and threw it in the rubbish in the kitchen. He said he made sure he put some other rubbish on top of it so that his Mum wouldn’t find it. he went to bed early that night, and said he felt happy knowing it wasn’t above his head anymore on the curtain rod.
Next day he woke up to find the clown puppet back above his head. He said he cursed under his breath and thought that his Mum must have found it, gotten upset, and put it back in his room late that night/early that morning when he was sleeping. He decided not to say/ask anything about it of his mother, as he thought he’d get in trouble for trying to throw it out to begin with. A few weeks later he took it to the wheelie bin outside the house and threw it under some bottles and cans. He then placed a large bag of rubbish from the kitchen on top of it and wheeled the bin out for collection by the garbage men the next day. He woke up the next morning to find the bloody clown BACK above his head and hanging from the curtain rod.

As you can imagine he said he was upset by this point (and in real life, myself and the helmsman both realised that he was visibly shaken from telling us this) and he confronted his mother about it. He said to her, ‘Mum, why did you take that clown of the bin and put it back in my room?’ ‘James, what are you talking about? id you try and get rid of the doll? Why would you do that, you know how much that means to me, it was one of the first things you made!’ ‘Mum, I really don’t want it anymore, it scares me.’ ‘James that’s nonsense. It’s paper-maiche!’ He was upset, and assumed that his Mum was ‘onto him’ and had retrieved the doll from the rubbish.

He left it at that, but decided he would get rid of it once and for all a week later or so. One day when his Mum was out and his Dad was in the garage fixing the car, he took the puppet up the backyard and put it in the incinerator. (Australian readers will probably remember most people seemed to have one of these cicular brick areas in their backyards when they were younger for gardening/mulch etc) He said he lit the match and covered the doll in paper and dried grass. Afte ra few minutes, it was completely charred and had burned to ashes. Giddy with delight, he confessed to his mother what he had done later that day when she got home, confident in the fact that she now couldn’t do anything about it after the fact. He got grounded (and smacked!) for playing with fire, but he said his mother got over her dissappointment and moved on, with nothing more being said about it. Or so he thought.

That night he said he dreamed that he woke up, his bedroom door opened slowly, and that the clown, now on fire and in flames walked into his room and said to him, ‘You thought you could get rid of me didn’t you? Well one day you’re going to pay for what you did!’ He said he woke up screaming which brought his paretns running. He was crying but they assured him it was a bad dream. He quickly put it behind him, although he said his parents were quite concerned for a few days.
Years later, when he was 16 he had another dream. He dreamed (and now people, I can FEEL the goosebumps running up my legs!) the same clown doll walked into his room on fire and said ‘You thought I forgot didn’t you James? Well I haven’t forgotten, and trust me, one day you will pay.’ He woke up screaming again, and he told his mother about the dream. His grandmother, (who by his account was one of those hippie types who liked ‘alternate lifestyles’ etc) suggested that he see a clairvoyant/mystic/gypsy woman she knew for a card/palm reading. He thought it couldn’t hurt, and he went along and did it, despite his scepticism of such ‘rubbish’. He said the woman blanched a little when she read his cards and said ‘something or someone very bad wants to hurt you…have you offended anyone lately or in your life?’ He broke down and told her the story of the clown, and how it appeared in his dreams when he was younger and again when he was 16. She said to him ‘James, this is very bad. If you ever see that clown again, something terrible might happen and you need to be prepared.’ At this point we were quiet on the bridge. I was letting it all sink in, and I couldn’t help but notice that this sailor was shaking. I realised I shouldn’t have puhed him to tell the story, and that is was evidently something he was seriously scared of, and had been his entire life.

The helmsman, after a minute of silence blurted out what I had been thinking. ‘So Chief, have you seen it since?’. The Chief looked at us both and said ‘I have never seen it since, and I live in fear of the day that I end up dreaming I see it again.’

And that ladies and gentlemen, ended our few hours of telling stories. I went and pretended I was checking the radar and chart while the helmsman looked ahead and pretended to check the autopilot. The Chief finshed his coffee, came and looked over my shoulder at my nav-plan on the chart to see where we were, and bid us goodnight.

After the bridge door shut the helmsman and I looked at each other and uttered a rather prolonged, unified expletive. Whether it was true or not, it is the freakiest story I have ever heard. If he was pulling our leg, it was an Oscar award winning performance. The fact that he was so visibly shaken while telling it (his voice breaking at parts) led me to believe it probably wasn’t….if anything, it was real to him.

Another guy I was on watch with said he had a really freaky dream one night (wasn’t a true story, but his dream was freaky as hell) at sea. He said he dreamed he woke up in his bunk on the ship and no one was around. He dreamed he got dressed to go on watch, and all he could hear was the ship creaking and the dull sounds of waves outside the hull. He said he walked up to the bridge and found the ship on autopilot, with no one up there. Thinking it was weird, and hearing the creaking, he kept looking around. He said the worst part of the dream was that he opened a cargo hold in the lower part of the ship and found the whole ship’s company, some 56 people swinging by their necks from ropes hung from the roof of the hold, the creaking being the ropes swinging with the rock of the ship.
Weird. We laughed about it, but he said the dream freaked him out. Funny what the human mind can come up with while asleep!

Posted by: Clifton native ()
Date: June 07, 2013 07:03AM

One night I was babysitting a 2 y/o girl who was adopted from Russia. We were playing on her living room floor when she abruptly looked away from me, up and to her right. She stared into space for a few seconds and then smiled and said, “hi.” Thinking she was just being a kid, I said, “hi,” back to her, but she just looked back at me like, wtf? (clearly not talking to me) and then looked back to her right/up. She stared for another few seconds, and then looked back at me again, pointed to where she had been staring and said, “blood.”

Posted by: planafuneral ()
Date: June 07, 2013 07:21AM

A few years before I was born my brother Tom had some really scary stuff happen to him. This occurred in the late 1970s in the winter months. My father told me about this, and recently my brother confirmed it.

One night my mother and her friend were playing with a Ouija board when my father was out working. They were having a few drinks and just relaxing. They got spooked and put it away. No big deal.

About two nights later a ghost of a boy visited my brother demanding to be friends, scared the shit out my brother. The kid wouldn’t let up, sometimes he wouldn’t appear to my brother visually but only audibly. Well Tom tried ignoring him, and my parents though it was just your usual imaginary friend stuff. That was until the my brother started showing bruises, scratches, and clumps of his hair missing. He started wetting the bed, at age 8 and he’d never done it before. My mother would be out of the room and hear him having conversations with this ghost saying stuff like “leave me alone” and “I’m not your friend, go away” and my brother would be really insistent that this apparition should fuck off. Getting really kid angry at it.

Well one day my mother was cleaning his room and she saw a perfect noose hanging from his closet rail where you hang shirts. She was freaked out and demanded to know why Tom had made it. Tom said “I keep telling you mom, HE did it”. They moved out the next day. From that point on my brother never had a problem with the ghost again. A few years later after I was born my mom ran into somebody at an art class who knew who the original owners were. She explained that a murder suicide happened there in the 1950s a few years after it was built.

I forgot to say the freakiest part of all the noose was made with my brother’s own clothes! Can’t believe I forgot that part.

Posted by: is it James? ()
Date: June 07, 2013 08:11AM

This is a pretty long story of the scariest thing that ever happened to me in my life, I hope you guys never have an experience as bad as mine.

I recently moved into a new house and now live alone. The house is near a small town, maybe 2 miles away. The house itself in the middle of a nicely wooded area in a smaller town, which is perfect for me, I love the serenity of the woods, being untainted by urban life. The idea of having a barn thrilled me, with all of the possibilities of what I could turn it into.

My parents recently gave me this house as a graduation gift. The house was given to them by my grandparents, which is strange because we didn’t live in this house growing up. In fact, my parents never mentioned it to me until I graduated college, admitting that they much preferred the city life over living in the middle of nowhere. My mother lived in the house briefly until she was around 7, when my grandparents decided to pack up and move one day. They never sold the house, they said there were too many memories and at the very least my parents could use it as a vacation home. They never did.

The house was in a slight state of disrepair, however I couldn’t care less. I was a homeowner! Mowing the lawn and clearing the branches was the easy part, the real work began within the house. Dusting old furniture, clearing cobwebs and throwing away old canned food. It took me about 2 weeks of cleaning until I decided it was sanitary enough to move into.

I decided to take a few weeks to just relax, I was tired of partying and I didn’t want to start searching for a job just yet. I spent my first day at the house hiking near the creek, fishing on a small pond and meeting folks in town. That night however I was restless, there was no tv and I didn’t have any books other than text books. I needed something to do after it got dark out, so I started exploring the house. In the attic to my surprise was filled with random furniture, toys and trinkets from my mothers childhood. I found baseballs cards, jump ropes, a little football helmet, action figures, a doll house, board games, ect. This was fascinating to me. I then found an antique dresser, which I found my mothers diary. Jackpot! I can read this at night until I fall asleep.

Not this night however, I was tired and decided to go to sleep in my new bedroom in my beautiful new house. Sleep came fast, however I was woken by creaking from the stairs and attic. This was to be expected living in an old house, I was sure I’d get used to it. The next day I decided to check out the barn, I’d decided to turn it into a hobby lounge where I could do woodworking or whatever my wavering enthusiasms desired. The barn was in fact in pristine condition, aside from a pile of cigarette butts in the corner and a musky smell which hung in the air. The smell was the only thing that bothered me, I am a nonsmoker I hate cigarettes, the stench they give off makes me want to vomit. There was a very unstable looking ladder leading up to the loft, which I decided not to use, the last thing I needed was to break my neck in the middle of nowhere. There didn’t appear to be anything up there aside from some hay creeping over the edge. After picking up the butts, I realized that I had more free time than I planned, since I assumed I would spend the day cleaning the barn.

I decided to explore the attic more, as I could not find my car keys to drive to town. Oddly enough I swore that I left them on the kitchen table next to my wallet, as this is what I have always done with any set of car keys I own. Asides from an old mirror and a pile of old cloths, I couldn’t find anything of much interest. As I left I noticed that there were less dolls than I had remembered, and I could swear one of them was not there before. Whatever, I decided to just read my mothers diary.

Lying in my bed I read through the diary, laughing at the entries of the diary. Several of them mentioned her older brother “James” throwing tantrums for no apparent reason, punching himself in the face or trying to fling his baseball bat into a tree. My mother must have had a very overactive imagination as a child, she had no siblings and grew up a single child.

I marked the page I was on and went downstairs to get a snack, growing more annoyed by the constant creaking in the attic. I decided to go to town the next morning and find someone who could fix it. Remembering I had lost my keys, I decided to retrace my steps so I could leave for town early in the morning.
The sun was beginning to set, a dull orange peaking over the horizon, so I decided to check the barn before it became to dark to see. I brought a flashlight just in case it did become too dark. I couldn’t find my keys, however I did find a few cigarette butts in the corner which I had apparently missed from earlier. I set down the flashlight and scooped them up and threw them away. After an unsuccessful search, I glanced up towards the loft and noticed there was a doll propped up against the wall. I could have sworn the doll was in the attic yesterday, so against my better judgment I climbed the rickety ladder to the loft. There was nothing up here aside from from an old hammer, the doll and a pile of hay. I picked up the doll and climbed down and walked towards my house. When I entered the front door I noticed my keys on the ground, only the car ignition key was mangled and bent.

Annoyed that I somehow must have stepped on the key to bend it, I decided to go to bed and walk to town in the morning. Before going to sleep I cracked open my mothers old diary to read. She was surprisingly articulate for a 7 year old, and I became so entranced by the story that the old house’s creaking no longer bothered me.

The diary’s entries became disturbing however. “James” began cutting himself in front of the family and starting fires, the story was becoming very morbid for a 7 year old’s imagination. The most disturbing entry, James had tried to kill my grandfather with a knife and ran off into the woods after stabbing him, my mother bearing witness to the entire scene. After returning from the hospital, James had not returned. Dead animals started appearing outside the front door and messages were being written on the house with blood. She wrote how her grandparents have been whispering among themselves for a week now and no longer allowing her out of the house alone. She also frequently wrote how much she missed James. The diary ended here, with no mention of when or why they moved, it just stopped.

My heart was racing, my pupils dilated and my heavy breathing silent. I didn’t want to stay here anymore, true or not the diary chilled me to the bone. I was aware of everything due to my adrenaline rush, the wind blowing outside and every little creak the house made. Wait, the house was no longer creaking, it was dead silent. I pushed my bed against the door barricading myself in the room. I moved my dresser in front of the window, knocking over my lamp and only light source. The blanket of darkness covered the room, the only source of light coming from the tiny keyhole in the door. Determined to stay awake until sunrise, I sat with my back against the wall next to the bed. The floor began creaking down the hallway, stopping right outside my door and then stopping. The light seeping in through the keyhole went dark, I tried to listen over the deafening sound of air entering and exiting my lungs, what was worse was my the constant thumping of blood entering and leaving my heart. A few minutes after soul crushing fear, light returned through the keyhole followed by more creaking. I refused to look through the keyhole to confirm my worst fear.

After what seemed like days, morning finally came. When light creeped around my dresser blocking the window, I moved it and waited until sunlight saturated the whole forest. Cautiously I moved my bed and bolted down the stairs outside. I didn’t need a car, I was going to run to town. I ran into the barn to quickly grab my heavy mag flashlight as a blunt weapon if I needed it. I plucked it from the pile of cigarettes it was hiding under and ran down the dirt path into town. I called my parents to come and pick me up from a greasy spoon diner, making sure to sit in a booth which was against a wall and not a window.

Aftermath: I did call the police who insisted they found nothing out of the ordinary and both my mother and grandparents deny any existence of a family member named James. I returned to the house, with several friends and my parents mind you, to retrieve my belongings, I was not living in this damned house. There were blank pages from the diary stacked nicely on the nightstand, however we couldn’t find the diary no matter how much we searched. My mother vehemently denied ever having one and scolded me for smoking in the barn and littering the ground with cigarette butts and having such an “active imagination”.
No, it’s all completely true. I decided it was already too long to include the after aftermath of the story, but there is more. I lived in a hotel for a while after the ordeal and a few days after it happened, I decided to drop by my parents house. I walked in on my mother and my grandparents having an explosive argument, while my father sat silently looking with his mouth gaping wide open. The argument, obviously ceased the second I walked in and they muttered something about the topic being politics. Not long after my mother admitted herself into a mental health hospital for a few weeks for “stress of losing money in the stock market”. She’s seemed different since her stay at the hospital, but it’s probably due to the heavy medication they put her on. She does see one for anxiety problems and recently moved to New York, she likes areas crowded with people. We don’t talk about what happened anymore.

The way I see it there are only three posibilities of what happened.
First is that I went psychotic and I bent my own keys, smoked all of the cigarettes and moved the dolls around. Then after a few days of my psychotic break, I decided to run to town and make up a story about what happened. I don’t believe this option at all, although I’d like to believe this one the most.
Second is that some ghost or spirit was trying to tell me its story. I don’t really believe this one at all either, a ghost smoking cigarettes? I don’t really believe in the supernatural like ghosts anyways, but I sure do believe in deranged maniacs.

Third is that the James really did exist, and was living in the barn/house. He bent my keys and was smoking, he was what walked down the hall and looked into my room through the keyhole. I guess my grandparents believed him to be gone when they gave me the house. I assume that what happened scared my mother for life and she doesn’t talk about it. I believe this 100%, but I refuse to go back to the house to confirm it.

Posted by: pecan groves ghost ()
Date: June 07, 2013 10:05AM

Long story, but this really did happen.

When I was a kid I lived in a town with a lot of pecan groves on the outskirts of town. Weird things would happen down in those groves – people would get killed, go missing, get lost, see weird stuff, etc. I always thought the stories were a bunch of b.s. and didn’t pay much attention. I went to school in the city and didn’t have much occasion to even go to the groves very much.

Later in life I made friends with some people who had gone to elementary school at a school that was right next to some of the groves. They claimed that when they were on the playground, they would occasionally see this weird guy in a long coat, dark hat and dark glasses watching them from the groves. He would never come to the fence or talk, and they would see him and then the next time they looked over he would be gone. Again, I thought this was all b.s. and that they were either making it all up, or this guy was some old pedophile that hung around the school, and they should have told their parents or teachers about it, not made up a bunch of stupid crap about an evil spirit or whatever.

Then, one night when we were in high school, we were coming back from a party at the river. Getting home necessitated driving through the pecan groves close to the elementary school my friends had attended. The party had sucked and we hadn’t even been drinking. We’re being teenagers, screwing around, laughing, not watching the road, etc. All of a sudden out of nowhere, a guy is standing in the middle of the road about 20 feet away from the car. There’s no way we’ll be able to stop in time and not hit him. My friend who was driving stands on the brakes and we come to a screeching halt. There’s no way we haven’t hit this guy, yet we don’t hear an impact and we don’t see him in the road anymore. The girl in the passenger seat gets out of the car to look in the road. At about that same time, the girl sitting next to me in the backseat starts freaking out and screaming about how we have to get out of there. I look out her window and there was the guy, standing in the trees on the side of the road. We booked it out of there as fast as we could.

I never drove in the groves at night again, and years later none of us can really even talk about this story without getting totally creeped out. I never believed much in ghosts before that, but I do now.

Posted by: Backward-leg-man ()
Date: June 07, 2013 11:02AM

Our house is pretty old, and it was formerly a pig slaughter house. When we renovated it when found six doors, no windows aside from the ones we have. It’s a small, one floor house with an unfinished basement. I have grown up in the house, and I’ve had my share of weird ass shit happen. Typically your normal ghosty business: items misplaced, strange noises, voices, doors opening, etc. Our basement was never the creepy part though, it was the hallway leading to my bedroom. I hate that fucking hallway. It’s a straight shot, teen feet deep from the kitchen, I suppose. Nothing to bat an eye at. But I’ve always been terrified of it.

I was probably twelve or thirteen, still in middle school. At the time I had a desktop computer that I was ALWAYS on. I spent hours on it, constantly. I was up until four on it, then got up at seven for school, etc. One night I noticed I kept hearing weird noises in my hallway. Like stomping, I guess, but not loud. My door handle jiggled a bit, but nothing too creepy ( for me, anywho ). I assumed it was my dad or something. After a while I had to pee so I got up and opened the door, silence. Okay, cool. Whatever. I flipped on the hall light and went to the bathroom. After I was done I opened the door and looked into the kitchen. Our kitchen is really small with a island-table in the middle of it. Behind that I saw a figure there. I thought maybe it was my mom crouched down picking something up, so without thinking I call out to her.

No answer. Now I’m a little on edge, so I say ‘Mom?’ again a little louder. The figure shifted and came into the light of our security light shining through the window. It wasn’t my mom. It was a figure on all fours. His elbows were bent backwards, and his legs looks backwards too. He didn’t have hands, but feet. He didn’t have a face that I can remember, I just see it as a blur in my mind’s eye. I was terrified, but I was stuck. I couldn’t move. He moved towards me slowly and suddenly there was this noise to my left. Before I could turn to look at it I was pushed back into the bathroom and the door slammed shut. Instantly I heard my parents door open and I jumped out of the bathroom. Every single light was on in our house, including the basement and garage.

I’ve never been able to explain it. I’ve tried to pull it off as too much caffeine, not enough sleep. Could a power surge have turned on the lights? But… The flashlights were on too. That was the strange part. My dad, a huge skeptic, refuses to talk about it and blames it on me as a prank.

Another weird happening was just a month ago I was home from college and I had JUST gone to bed. I instantly heard some weird noises and I muted my TV. Suddenly my door slammed, like something had lunged against it. I didn’t go outside at all that night, nor did I sleep. In the morning I found a huge scratch on it. We do have a dog, but I give you my word that that scratch was not there before that night. Our dog knows better than to do that. She has never jumped up on a door before.

PIC – Of the scratches that I took and sent to my friend the morning it happened. I talked to my mom about it, and she said she has no idea what could have done that. We tried to think of a time we might have scratched it while carrying the vacuum or something, but nothing came up. My mom has mentioned seeing some things, but not nearly what I have experienced. She thinks it’s just the old house playing tricks… But I don’t think that’s it at all.
Attachments:
ZZY1Z.jpg

Posted by: There’s a man in the room ()
Date: June 07, 2013 01:24PM

Not my house…but somewhere I was sleeping. Hopefully you’ll forgive the length.

We were traveling from western Kentucky to Florida for vacation. After a long day of driving, we ate waffles and other breakfast miscellany at one of those all-night-breakfast places and were looking for somewhere to sleep for the night, but everywhere was full.

When we finally saw a hotel lacking a lit-up “No Vacancy” Sign, it was a Days Inn in Dothan Alabama. I needed to stretch my legs, and my Game Gear had died, so I went into the front office with my dad to get the room.

The woman, tired and barely contained by her hotel employee’s uniform, told us “We’re all booked up.” But her coworker said something like, “What about 229?” and she paused for a second, looked at me, and then at my dad and said, “Well yeah, I guess you could take 229. Would you like 229?”.
“Well yeah..why not? Sure”. And so began the strangest night I’ve ever experienced.

We settled in for bed almost instantly. My brother and I in one, my parents in the other. Something seemed off about the room, but we were too tired to care.
At around 2:30 in the morning I woke up to my mom screaming, and my dad sitting straight up in bed.

“There’s a man in the room! HEY, HEY. Who are you? What are you doing in here?“
We all woke up, and there was this dark figure of a large man in the room, standing over my parents bed. My brother dove for the lightswitch and the room came into this sudden, quiet focus.

I remember thinking later about what might be a more appropriate or effective thing to say when you’re encountered by a large dark figure standing at the foot of your bed. But in the moment, nothing was there. Just a shitty TV, a mini fridge, and a mirror.

We all sat there for a moment trying to figure out what just happened. My dad said, “We’re leaving.” And we were back on the road as fast as we fell asleep.
Later on, my parents discussed it. My mother apparently only saw a man. My father also saw a man and a dog. I just remember seeing shapes. We scoured the internet to see if anything weird had happened in the hotel that year. I even tried calling the hotel years later, but it had since gone under new management. From time to time we always wonder what happened in that room.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: June 07, 2013 05:06PM

Those who know the legend of Old Greg, don't go out on Burke Lake at night.
Attachments:
Old_Gregg.jpg

Posted by: markj7 ()
Date: June 08, 2013 07:58AM

Being a native Virginian in Civil War country, I have been lucky to have a few encounters and this is my favourite.

It was the fall of 1988; I was driving in the northern part of Fauquier County Virginia approx. 45 minutes outside of Upper vile. I was in a very remote area where the hills rolled gently and there were no homes, barns, fences, riding trails or other motorist. I was really enjoying the scenery when I drove around a curve and there on the left side of the road about half a mile ahead was a horse with a rider. This is pretty common in Fauquier County but this was a bit different. Again, I was in the middle of nowhere. Once I drove closer to the horse and rider, I noticed what the gentleman was wearing, a full Confederate uniform with sleeve markings indicating a high rank officer. His uniform consisted of the grey in colour pants, jacket, and full belt dressing with sword, a side arm, black hat, riding gloves and riding boots. As I drove past slowly, I waved and he tilted his hat. I will never forget the expression on his face. It was one of confusion and interest.

Being a Civil War enthusiast, I was very surprised and enjoyed the sight. This person and his horse seemed as real as I am. I could not understand why someone would be dressed in this fashion in the middle of nowhere. He appeared to be dirty enough for me to notice from about 20 feet away. His beard looked unkept and his hair was longer than the hat would cover. That's when I decided it must be a ghost. This is the only thing that is logical to me. Once I found a place to make a u-turn, I drove back and there was no trace of the person.

Please give me your opinions and views on this sighting. This occurred in the middle of the week, my day off at the time was Wednesday. Weather was cool and clear.

Posted by: Troubled Life ()
Date: June 08, 2013 08:28PM

This probably not the place for this, but for the past few weeks, I've been going through some very strange events. I think there is a ghost or demon attached to me or something. Whatever it is, I know it's following me. Two or three weeks ago, my mom saw a shadow person in our house. Then, her cross was thrown across the room towards her. It almost hit her. We have seen other objects moving without either one of us touching them. I have heard people talking when there was nobody around.

It's hard to talk about, but my mom was even choked by whatever was/is in our house. At that point I tried to get in my room which locked on the side I was already on. I could not unlock the door no matter how hard I tried. I have had screwdrivers, glass, and other objects thrown at me. I don't even know what threw them at me. I have noticed that five of our pets have died in freak accidents in the past year. I have had my hair pulled by someone that wasn't even there.

A couple of days ago, I was taking pictures of myself hoping to catch someone else in the pictures. I succeeded in two pictures. In one, I caught what appears to be an old Native American man behind me. In the other one, I caught what is definitely a little boy straight behind me, looking at me.

Also, when I was very little my sister and I saw what we believe to be a demon coming up out of the floor tile. I think that is the demon that is after me. I have seen things nobody should ever have to see. In elementary school, I happened to look up at the ceiling and saw a dog hanging there. I looked again, it was gone. One day, I was sitting on a swing and I felt something like a cold chain wrap around my neck. I turned to see who was trying to choke me. There was no one there. I also saw a boy covered in blood and I noticed he had a knife wound. He even told me his name. I assure you, all this stuff really happened.

I think tomorrow I am heading off to church and pray this all ends soon.
Attachments:
native-american-man.jpg
little-boys-face2.jpg

Posted by: Mystery Inc. ()
Date: June 08, 2013 08:35PM

Troubled Life Wrote:
> This probably not the place for this, but for the
> past few weeks, I've been going through some very
> strange events. I think there is a ghost or demon
> attached to me or something. Whatever it is, I
> know it's following me. Two or three weeks ago, my
> mom saw a shadow person in our house. Then, her
> cross was thrown across the room towards her. It
> almost hit her. We have seen other objects moving
> without either one of us touching them. I have
> heard people talking when there was nobody around.
>
>
> It's hard to talk about, but my mom was even
> choked by whatever was/is in our house. At that
> point I tried to get in my room which locked on
> the side I was already on. I could not unlock the
> door no matter how hard I tried. I have had
> screwdrivers, glass, and other objects thrown at
> me. I don't even know what threw them at me. I
> have noticed that five of our pets have died in
> freak accidents in the past year. I have had my
> hair pulled by someone that wasn't even there.
>
> A couple of days ago, I was taking pictures of
> myself hoping to catch someone else in the
> pictures. I succeeded in two pictures. In one, I
> caught what appears to be an old Native American
> man behind me. In the other one, I caught what is
> definitely a little boy straight behind me,
> looking at me.
>
> Also, when I was very little my sister and I saw
> what we believe to be a demon coming up out of the
> floor tile. I think that is the demon that is
> after me. I have seen things nobody should ever
> have to see. In elementary school, I happened to
> look up at the ceiling and saw a dog hanging
> there. I looked again, it was gone. One day, I was
> sitting on a swing and I felt something like a
> cold chain wrap around my neck. I turned to see
> who was trying to choke me. There was no one
> there. I also saw a boy covered in blood and I
> noticed he had a knife wound. He even told me his
> name. I assure you, all this stuff really
> happened.
>
> I think tomorrow I am heading off to church and
> pray this all ends soon.

I see a few other faces that are not circled in the first picture. One is lower and to the left of the circled one, then the other one is over your right shoulder, (the left hand side of the picture).

Have you tried any means of expelling them before?

Posted by: ?????????????????? ()
Date: June 08, 2013 08:55PM

All I see is a fat introverted kid with to much time on his hands. Get your fat ass out of that house and play in the yard. If there are any ghosts or demons in that house trying to scare you is because your FAT ASS IS SITTING ON THEM!
Attachments:
motivational-poster-mcdonalds-fat-kid-flubber.jpg

Posted by: Eric/Alexandria ()
Date: June 10, 2013 06:51AM

My wife and I were walking down N. Fayette away from king St. Around 7:45 pm when we noticed only one of the two swings in the Helen Miller Park was swinging rather violently. We were a block away when we first noticed the swing.We looked around and there was no one close it was actually oddly deserted. We watched the swing for several minutes because it continued at it's violent pace. We got creeped out enough and walked to our car which was 20 feet away.When we pulled up to the park the swing was dead still. No one could have stopped the swing without us seeing or hearing the chains rattle. Very strange.

Posted by: Spencer ()
Date: June 10, 2013 06:59AM

I recently moved into the rolling Valley subdivision in Springfield bordering hidden pond Park and often walk over there in the early morning with my dog. One morning around 6:30 am I saw what appeared to be a young girl skipping along the pathway which leads from the pond up toward the nature center.I thought it odd because she was in a long old fashioned dress with a red bow in her hair she also didn't appear to have any shoes on. My dog growled and barked the girl stopped turned and stared at me. I continued to walk and she turned and went on her way. She was about 40 feet from me and I was going up the same steps she just went up and when I reached the top I didn't see her figured she had run
on into the neighorhood.

Weird thing was as I looked up into the open meadow area-I saw a misty/fog shape moving along and vanish midway into the meadow. It seemed very odd. Not sure if this were a ghost or not just thought I would report it.

Posted by: A Fireman in Springfield ()
Date: June 10, 2013 07:17AM

I bought my house about 5 years ago. At first I would hear footsteps going up and the down the steps. A couple of times I woke to the sound thick moan in my ear. There were times when I was having a good sleep and I'd wake up for no reason with this eerie feeling that I was not alone so I ended up staying up late watching television to shake it off. I told friends and family about this and most just told me that it was all in my mind. So that's what I believed. But things began to get worse. Without ever talking to my roommate (who lived in the basement) he one told me that weird things were happening in the basement as well. Things in his bathroom were falling off the shelves and some toys that he sells were turning on by theirselves... At first we all laughed about it eventhough we were all creeped out. Hoping that it was all just coincidence.

Later worse things that I couldn't ignore began to occur. I began to wake up in the middle of the night to a dark shadow that yelled all while keeping me paralyzed to my bed or couch. I was paralyzed to the point of not being able to breath scream or even shut my eyes.
The creepy sound of someone going up the stairs followed someone going into my brother's room and turning on the light and blasting the stereo. The incident that led me to take action was when one day I was on the computer and on the room next door (the kitchen) I heard a really loud sound of pots glass utensils all hit the floor. It startled me but I had to see what it was. There was no way of ignoring the noise. I figured somehow my cabinet broke but there
was nothing out of place. I had told my friend who is from Laos and has family members who don't quickly dismiss these type of events as just being overly superstitious.

Well I was told by one his family members that I needed to bless the house. I told my mom who normally in Catholic tradition has houses blessed. Mine wasn't. So we did and I also have this large frame picture of Jesus in my living room.
6 months and there was nothing. I have had the most peaceful sleeps. Maybe a little too much sleep some would say ;) I cheerful told people about my experience and how I had found the solution. So I thought..
A few days ago I woke up again in my room to that familiar eerie feeling. I repeatedly told myself ''just sleep it off just sleep it off'' Fortunately I did. Then it happened again a few days later downstairs as I slept in the couch.

Not even my guinea pigs moved for a few minutes to ease the tension. As I'm typing this up I can still remember yesterday's event. I took my guinea pigs to my parents house to play with the new puppy that they just got.
When I came back around 10:30 pm my roommate looked at me with a shocked look in his face. I looked at him and said ''hi what's up? '' the first thing that he asked was ''you weren't in the house? '' and I replied ''no I'm just coming in from my parent's place'' he looked even more shocked and asked me to swear to god that I was not home.He mumbled and cursed as he closed the door to the basement. I later asked him out of curiousity ''why all the questioning? '' he told me that he heard running around upstairs and the television on.

Here we go again... It's all in my head right? :/.

Posted by: Hidden Pond Park Ghosts ()
Date: June 10, 2013 07:47AM

I sometimes house sit some houses that back up to that Park mentioned called hidden pond in Springfield VA.
One night while relaxing with my girlfriend halley on the deck I could see moon's reflection on the pond at
the park suddenly halley dropped her bowl of Carmel popcorn and said ''luis look over on the other side by
the center! '' I look and we both see the figure of a glowing woman sort of floating along the shore line.

She vanished then suddenly we saw her on our side she was just gliding along the ground. Halley screamed
and the ghost woman stopped turnned and looked up at us. I said to halley let's get out of here. We ran into
the house and as we locked the back porch door we could see the ghost standing at the bakyard fence looking
right at us. We ran out the front door I locked it and we got in my car and drove off. I am not going back
to that house sit there again!!!

Posted by: Lorelei - hidden pond ()
Date: June 10, 2013 07:55AM

Hidden Pond Park Ghosts Wrote:
> I sometimes house sit some houses that back up to
> that Park mentioned called hidden pond in
> Springfield VA.
> One night while relaxing with my girlfriend halley
> on the deck I could see moon's reflection on the
> pond at
> the park suddenly halley dropped her bowl of
> Carmel popcorn and said ''luis look over on the
> other side by
> the center! '' I look and we both see the figure
> of a glowing woman sort of floating along the
> shore line.
>
> She vanished then suddenly we saw her on our side
> she was just gliding along the ground. Halley
> screamed
> and the ghost woman stopped turnned and looked up
> at us. I said to halley let's get out of here. We
> ran into
> the house and as we locked the back porch door we
> could see the ghost standing at the bakyard fence
> looking
> right at us. We ran out the front door I locked it
> and we got in my car and drove off. I am not going
> back
> to that house sit there again!!!

I know about the hidden pond ghost while walking home through the park with my bag of groceries (I'm a vegan) and I shop at the nearby health food store. I was in the park at twilight and encountered what I thought was a mist rising up from the swamp but it became the shape of a woman-who looked at me then turned and walked away from me toward the old house near the center.

I reported the affair to Park ranger doug galwinn(not sure of the name) and he said the place is full of spooks ghosts and old bats. I am not sure about that ghost bear but the ghost woman-because I am here to say I saw her!.

Posted by: hidden pond park ghosty ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:00AM

There are reports of hidden pond Park being haunted by the ghost of a woman in white or light gray dress.
Old period clothing circa 1800's.

I recently moved into the rolling Valley subdivision bordering hidden pond Park and often walk over there
in the early morning with my dog. One morning around 6:30 am I saw what appeared to be a young girl skipping
along the pathway which leads from the pond up toward the nature center.I thought it odd because she was in
a long old fashioned dress with a red bow in her hair she also didn't appear to have any shoes on. My dog
growled and barked the girl stopped turned and stared at me. I continued to walk and she turned and went
on her way. She was about 40 feet from me and I was going up the same steps she just went up and when I
reached the top I didn't see her figured she had run on into the neighorhood. Weird thing was as I looked
up into the open meadow area-I saw a misty/fog shape moving along and vanish midway into the meadow. It
seemed very odd. Not sure if this were a ghost or not just thought I would report it.

Posted by: native2area ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:22AM

Back in the old days there used to be some wild animals kept on the grounds of the barker estate
one was a tamed bear named old Casey the ghost of this bear was seen by Park workers at hidden pond
Park (the old barker estate lies within the grounds of the present day park) according to workers
Davie waltz, and Kyle Gunter the pair witnessed the bear ghost near an old swamp in the park grunting
at them and walking on all 4's the apparition vanished when Gunter gave chase.

Posted by: kioto ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:29AM

In the intersection of old Keene mill Rd and huntsman Boulevard many car accidents occur (almost weekly). It is said that that intersection is haunted and it claims souls (that's why so many accidents occur in there). It is also said that the ghost of a woman is sitting in the sidewalk of that intersection at late night or dawn.

Posted by: Xavier2b ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:44AM

More on the ghost lady of hidden pond, I found out there used to be an old farmhouse where the park is,
it was built in 1700's. The ghost lady has been seen before, some reports say she was seen before the place
was ever a park. Anyway, I found out others have seen her too. She has been seen in the day and at night.

Posted by: haymarket ()
Date: June 10, 2013 09:01AM

This is not Fairfax but out in Haymarket VA. It was around 1968 I think and my girlfriend and I had been on a date. We stopped at the driveway entrance to her folks place to do what most healthy teenagers were doing back in the day. I was about sixteen and so was she and I had just gotten my driver's license.We had stopped at the bottom of the long driveway that led up to the old farmhouse her folks were renting. I think the man who owned it was named shell but don't quote me. The house stood about a hundred yards up the steep driveway and we were making out before going up. As we kissed and played both of us were alarmed when a billowy looking mass of thick white fog (or so it seemed) slowly drifted through the field and in front of us. Then it just stopped and I knew this was no patch of fog at all! It seemed to have a life force in it and when I turned on the headlights of the old dodge polara I became very frightened because the mass reflected the headlights. Then I saw more in the field and they were changing directions and heading straight for us. I started the old car and floored the gas pedal.

I flew up the driveway and to the front of the house. I told her see ya and she jumped out and ran inside only to leave me there alone realizing i had to go back down the drivewat to get on the road(catharpin road) and head home. Well if the white billowy masses were still there I did not see them this time as I flew down the hill with my eyes looking straight ahead lest I see the things again. I didn't slow down when I hit the road either.

I just slid around and floored it and went straight home. Through the years this memory has come to me now and then and I know what I saw was alive. It had a spirit or perhaps was spirits from the Civil War or whatever. I just know it had a real living p resence about it. Within a few months my girlfriend and I weren't together and although sometimes I think of my youth and the good old days this is one memory I still to this day haven't figured out. It may be silly to some but I know I was in the presence of spirits there that warm August night. I still recall the cold chills that went up my spine.

Posted by: samantha ()
Date: June 10, 2013 09:32AM

I worked for a restaurant in old town on queen Street. This part of queen Street was the old red light of Alexandria. Part of my job was to make bread every morning on this particular day I had my little experience.

There was a little flour on the table next to the mixer I had to step away for a minute and when I came back there where small hand prints either a female's or a child's in size in the flour. I told the owner and he kind of laughed and said something to the extent of so you've had your first sighting here. Join the club.

Posted by: toms ()
Date: June 10, 2013 09:40AM

When I was little we attended grace episcopal church in alexandria. One evening I was there with my family. I remember looking up and seeing a man standing near the altar but he just as quickly vanished. Seems like it was a ghost but it all happened so quickly hard to know.

Posted by: samathas ()
Date: June 10, 2013 10:38AM

samantha Wrote:
> I worked for a restaurant in old town on queen
> Street. This part of queen Street was the old red
> light of Alexandria. Part of my job was to make
> bread every morning on this particular day I had
> my little experience.
>
> There was a little flour on the table next to the
> mixer I had to step away for a minute and when I
> came back there where small hand prints either a
> female's or a child's in size in the flour. I told
> the owner and he kind of laughed and said
> something to the extent of so you've had your
> first sighting here. Join the club.

I worked at a store on king Street a couple of blocks up from the river. I was told by someone it was an old Union barrik. So that's what I told most of the tourist that came in. I did most of the purchasing for the store and one night I was researching Civil War merchandise when a brass belt buckle flew across the room. I didn't fall it came out of the shelf and landed about six feet away from where it was. It was a Confederate belt buckle. I guess they wanted to make sure they corrected me.

Date: June 10, 2013 11:11AM

Over the years, I've gotten numerous requests from people coming to visit the Old Dominion that want to know where they can visit or lodge at that is known to be haunted. I've decided to finally compile a list of the haunted places in Virginia that are open to the public. Happy Ghost Hunting!

"The state of Virginia is undoubtedly one of the most historic of all of the originial American thirteen colonies. It has given birth to presidents, generals and perhaps even American liberty itself. During the years of the Civil War more battles and fighting took place in Virginia than anywhere else. Perhaps this long record of historical events has given rise to the many ghost stories and haunted places of the state."

NORTHERN VIRGINIA

Ramsay House/Alexandria Visitor's Center, Alexandria, VA
221 King Street @ Fairfax--across from City Hall; (703)838-4200
This is the headquarters of the Alexandria Convention and Visitor's Bureau in Old Town. It is said to be haunted by Alexandria's founder and spirits in 1700s clothing have been seen. They offer Old Town ghost tours Mar.-Nov. at 7:30 & 9 on Fridays & Sats., and @7:30 on Sundays weather permitting. Buy your ticket by 7 for either tour and it starts from the garden. Ages 12 & up: $6, 7-12: $4 and children 6 & under, free

Town of Occoquan, Occoquan, VA
South of D.C.
This 200 year old town has a ghost for just about every building. What's best about this town are the shopkeepers who LOVE to talk about "their ghosts". Check out the history page to see a complete list and address of the local "haunts".
http://www.occoquan.com/History/HistoryFrm.asp

Gadsby's Tavern & Museum, Alexandria, VA
134 & 138 North Royal St.@Cameron St.; (703)838-4242; (Tavern: (703)548-1288)
A young woman in 1800s period clothing has been seen at this museum/tavern in Old Town, built in 1770 and 1792 respectively. The Tavern, one of the few remaining 18th c. taverns, is open 7 days a week for lunch, brunch & dinner. The museum's general hours are 11-4 Tues-Sat., 1-4 Sun. Museum admission is $4 adults, $2 students 11-17, and free for children under 11 w/a paying adult.

Woodlawn Plantation, Alexandria, VA
9000 Richmond Highway (Off of Rte. 1, near Mt. Vernon); (703)780-4000
This beautiful mansion (completed in 1805) was part of George Washington's Mount Vernon estate and given as a present to his foster daughter. 18th and 19th century ghosts still roam the premises (inc. Washington himself) as well as the spirits of former owners and guests. When a well in the basement is capped, it has been documented that spirit activity there is said to dramatically increase.

Roundtree Park, Falls Church, VA
3220 Annandale Road
This community park is rumored to be haunted by the ghost of a woman with a baby.

Gunston Hall Plantation, Fairfax, VA
Mason Neck, VA, off of Rte. 1; (703)558-9220
Built between 1755-1760 for George Mason--whose ideas were influential in the development of the new U.S. government and other international consitutions--visitors to this 550-acre Georgian estate have seen who is believed to be Mr. Mason in mirrors and footsteps have been heard when there is no one present.
Hours: 9:30 am-5 pm everyday, except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.

Walney Road, Chantilly, VA
This road is said to be haunted by the ghost of a lost little girl who lost her family in a fire.

Bull Run/Manassas Historic Battlefield, Manassas, VA
Spirits of Civil War soldiers have been seen in this area, inc. crossing Cobblestone Bridge.

Old Town Inn, Manassas, VA
9503 Main Street; (703)368-9191
A spirit named "Miss Lucy" is said to like to play pranks such as turning on faucets, messing up the beds and unplugging appliances. She haunts room 52, but roams from 50-54.

Old Town Hall, Manassas, VA
9025 Center Street; (703)257-8230
Built in 1914, this building is said to be haunted by the spirit of a 1930s prisoner who had committed suicide. Doors open and close/slam shut. Workers there are often locked in.

Arlington House/Custis-Lee Mansion & Arlington Cemetery, Arlington, VA
G.W. Parkway@Arlington Cemetery; (703)557-0613
The Custis-Lee family, many of whom were descendants of George Washington, haven't quite left their 19th c. mansion on the grounds of the Arlington Nat'l Cemetery. You can also hear "Taps" being played in the Garden in the middle of the night. As for the cemetery itself, c'mon...it IS a cemetery after all!

Potomac Overlook Regional Park, Arlington VA
2845 N. Marcey Road; (703)528-5406
The spirits of Native Americans who used to live in the area can be heard swimming in the Potomac River and still go through the trails here.

Weems-Botts House, Dumfries, VA
300 W. Duke Street; (703)221-3346
A 1974 restoration of this historic house seems to have stirred up some spirits. The beds don't stay made, curtain rods don't stay put, and a Confederate soldier has been seen there.

Historic Occoquan, Occoquan, VA
Off I-95, Exit 160
From a friendly ghost who leaves petals everywhere and rearranges merchandise to one who waits behind the counter at closing time, the section of this historic town (est. 1758) @ Mill & Washington Streets is home to the majority of a large number of spirits.

Cork St. Tavern, Winchester, VA
8 W. Cork Street; (540)667-3777
The east side of this 1830s built Tavern (stop through for some food and drink) is haunted by a couple, who just might be responsible for people slipping around table L-6.

Posted by: Alexandria INOVA hospital ()
Date: June 10, 2013 12:17PM

Alexandria INOVA hospital is built on the site of the Vauxcleus mansion an ante-bellum plantation mansion. During the Civil War a Confederate soldier was seen and shot dead by a Union picket while sneaking up the ravine to visit a girl friend in the Vauxcleus mansion. Since it is said you can see his ghost moving through the woods on moonlit nights.

Posted by: David Huzzard ()
Date: June 10, 2013 02:19PM

Ghost Stories of Northern Virginia: Walney Road
http://supernovarealty.blogspot.com/2012/03/ghost-stories-of-northern-virginia.html

Northern Virginia is a place filled with history. Being so close to the capital of the United States and part of one the first states will do that, and as a place filled with history there are plenty of ghost stories. There are your run of the mill Civil War ghost stories like seeing Civil War soldiers crossing a bridge near Bull Run battlefield, but then there are the real interesting ones. Take for instance this one out of Chantilly, Virginia.

Down route 50 right before the exit to 28 lies Walney Road. It is an unassuming road like man that will be found in Northern Virginia. It has an Anita's on the corner and leads down to an industrial park, but it wasn't always part of a built up area. There was a time before Chantilly was built up that Walney road didn't lead to the Dulles Expo center and wasn't even paved.

Walking down an unpaved road on a bleak night is safer than walking down the middle of 95 but it still comes with dangers, and one dark night a man found out this lesson. He had somewhere to go and a place to be or else he wouldn't have been hitchhiking. Hitchhiking can be dangerous enough under street lights or in daytime but under the cover of night far from civilization does nothing but increase the dangers.

When a car finally does come the hitchhiker must have been overcome with a mixed feeling of joy and urgency. If this car didn't stop it could be morning before another car comes along. This since of urgency combined with the driver's surprise at seeing a person out this far and this late must have lead to the accident.

It is unknown when this person was killed or who they were but now if a person drives down Walney Road late at night and sees a hitchhiker they are given three chances to pick them up. If they do not then a mysterious car will come out of nowhere and make them wish that they had stopped. Or at least that is how the legend goes.

There are even more fascinating stories of ghosts and supernatural happenings in Northern Virginia and as a Realtor in the area it is useful to know them. What person doesn't like a good haunted tale every now and then, and who knew there was a haunting along Walney Road in Chantilly, Va
Attachments:
solarlites_7071.jpg

Posted by: Where's Larry? ()
Date: June 10, 2013 02:57PM

I used to work in a state inst for developmentally disabled. We were temp relocated to another
building for remodeling of our bldg. Anyways...I was working one nite, 2nd shift. We had a locked
pica unit. I saw one of the residents walking down the hall. Very distinct gait and very distinct
yellow t-shirt w/ a happy face on it. I went into the ward to let staff know that they had an escapee.
This was a serious situation because this particular resident, Larry, would ingest absolutely anything
(from clothing to pens to belts to *ugh* a bird's head)...literally anything. He was also very reluctant
to go back to his home ward (hence why I didn't bring him back myself...he needed two escorts). When
we got back into the hall, less than 15 secs later, Larry was gone!! We searched the entire building!
Outside, downstairs, all wards...he was NO WHERE to be found!!! This whole search lasted last than
10 mins because I had all extra staff looking for him. I was just about to call the house supervisor
to let her know that we "lost" someone when out from the bathroom walks Larry w/ one of the staff.
He had been getting his bath in the bathroom for the last 30 mins or so. Kind of freaky! I absolutely,
without a doubt, saw Larry in the hallway. I never would've short-staffed the wards like I did if I
hadn't seen him! Like I said, very distinctive gait, look, clothing. I took a lot of razzing that nite!
They all thought that I was crazy. Anyways, come to find out the next day, after the story goes around
that I am crazy (haha, gigglegiggle, funnyfunny)..............Larry had an identical twin brother who
died in that building 10 yrs previously.

Posted by: betty ()
Date: June 10, 2013 03:54PM

I work as a CNA in long term care. We had one resident "Betty" who was totally independant, all ADL's were done on her own and she did fine on her own, never had an incident. The only time she wanted help was showers and then she only wanted you around to make sure she didn't slip and fall. Betty came down with pneumonia and had to be hospitalized. When she came back she was too weak to do things on her own but too stubborn to ask for help. The last thing the CNA told her before going to bed was "If you want to get up, hit your call light. I'll come help you." Of course she didn't, got rid of the bed alarm, climed out of bed and fell. Betty died from the fall. No one has been moved into her bed.

The following week the call light for the room went off at night. Thinking it was the resident in bed B I walked down the room to see what she wanted. I walked into the room only to see the call light for bed B and A off, the call light for bed C (Betty's unoccupied bed) was on. My eyes filled up with tears, I backed out of the room and made someone else turn the call light off.

It happened a week later. I want to see if it happens this week too.

Pages: Previous1234567891011All...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.