HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567891011All...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 14
Re: Lake braddock girls basketball
Posted by: BigMac ()
Date: January 01, 2012 10:24AM

Totally disagree that 2 years as asst. at Madison is enough to become a head coach. Harris also was only a asst. at Marshall before becoming head coach at LB. both coaches have had the same problems and it all comes from no exsperiance at being a head coach with all the responsibilities. It takes years to be able to understand all the problems you will encounter. But parents need to back off and let her be the coach. They are not seeing what the coaches see 6days a week. They only see the games. Players earn play time in practice

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fuller ()
Date: January 01, 2012 10:30AM

You can coach for 30 years and still encounter new problems. If the coach has a vision for the program she is fine, as she obviously knows her x's and o's. There is no rule that says be an assistant for 10 years before you become a head coach. When problems do arise, hopefully she has built a relationship with her former coaches where she can seek guidance from them, almost like a mentor role. There are also countless coaching discussion forums on the web to exchange experiences.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 01, 2012 11:20AM

The problem is that she is young and inexperienced, with only 2 years as an assistant she doesnt know how to prepare for a practice, game plan, deal with player problems, all necessary skills in running a program. Most assistants in high school programs, work with a position group in practice, then take stats at the game.

Sure, she can have more experienced coaches as mentors, thats how we all learn, however, this is something she should have done, prior to taking over a program.
I think most in the basketball community were very surprised she got this job with very little experience and it doesnt look like she had a plan to be able build a program.

She has problems dealing with the players and parents as evident to the large number of player turnover.

If you can not get the players to buy into what you are doing in the program, then you will never be able to motivate them to give their best.

She is in way over her head, sinking fast, the program and the players are suffering. I see no way that this can continue.

Posted by: not Rocky ()
Date: January 01, 2012 12:05PM

+1

Posted by: Crazy ()
Date: January 01, 2012 01:04PM

As i read all of this, it sounds like a lot of people are frustrated. Im sure the athletic director at the school will take action. Well in my opinion should. Hopefully all will work out for this school.

Posted by: lb fan ()
Date: January 01, 2012 03:07PM

I just find it so pathetic that about 70 of these 90 posts are from one parent saying the same thing with different names. There is always growing pains putting a new system in place, coach is fine and Lake Braddock will soon be competitive.

If you watch them play, they do lack talent. This garbage about having talent on the team is just parents who think their kids are good. Talent does come in waves and Lake Braddock has been losing long before this coach took over.

Posted by: makeadifference ()
Date: January 01, 2012 04:04PM

The most pathetic thing about this is the person who said kids suck on the team. How can you have any kind of morale or program if someone close to the team is willing to say that? It makes me sick. And it is a sympton of a larger and more serious issue. There is obviously a problem. And I do not think it is simply a parent or two. I do agree that the coach and administration has an obligation to fix it. They cannot ignore it and play blame game.I repeat what I said yesterday to the person who said some of kids suck. Shame on you. If you are closely connected to program please leave. You obviously dont have the best interests of all kids at heart.

Posted by: LB Alum ()
Date: January 01, 2012 05:42PM

lb fan sounds like the coach or a member of the staff.

Blame the parents, or that they have no talent, that is always a easy out for the staff.They excepted the position, except the responsibility.

I do understand that you will have parents that think their kids are superstars and they are not. An experienced coach will know how to handle that, without upsetting the balance of the team.

A good coach will develope the talent they have and try to recruit within the school, others, to fit around them and move forward, not make excuses.

I disagree, they do have some talent, watch them play.

It does take some time and there is a certain amount of growing pains in having a new system and coach in place. However, this is the second year and you should be seeing results, but they are still not even competitive. That my friend points to the coaching.

Date: January 01, 2012 05:58PM

The coach must of thought that all the kids are good or they would not be on varsity. So you lb fan must have a child on the team that you think is the best. Sorry that is just what it sounds like.

Posted by: LB Fan ()
Date: January 01, 2012 08:36PM

Crazy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The coach must of thought that all the kids are
> good or they would not be on varsity. So you lb
> fan must have a child on the team that you think
> is the best. Sorry that is just what it sounds
> like.

Think a little bit, LB has to field a varsity team, it's the 12-15 best girls that tryout, it doesn't mean there is 12-15 varsity caliber players, realisticaly there is 6 or 7 players that are of a varsity caliber, and only 1 that is an above average varsity player.

The results may not be to everyones satisfaction so far, but lets face it not everyone wins, there are losing teams. The number 1 purpose of a high school coach is to develop student athletes into adults. The winning and losing is really second nature but people fail to acknowledge that. The VHSL Mission Statement even states this.

Oh and to the poster above it's *accept not except, I usually don't correct grammar but you make Lake Braddock look real bad after acknowledging your an alum.

Posted by: Enough already ()
Date: January 01, 2012 08:36PM

"Real" Varsity Starters are at PVI, in the halls at LB and Butler.

Coach and Staff needs to coach AAU if they truly want to succeed.

No one on the Staff does it, no one. LB Administration knows this and chooses to sit and watch.

JV Coach should be on the bench. Time for some changes....Earn your way, or exit.

Team will stillwin 7 games a year regardless of Staff, at least have a plan.

Date: January 01, 2012 08:42PM

They did not NEED to field Varsity, could have all done JV instead if VHSL mission is goal. Regardless, stll better than Falls Church HS and LB already beat Lee.

Posted by: LB Fan ()
Date: January 01, 2012 08:45PM

Staff coaching AAU is pointless. For one you're only allowed to coach like 3 players from your high school, and just encouraging players to play AAU is all a coach really should do. AAU does make players better by playing year round, but at the same time is shady as hell.

Why should the jv coach be on the bench? It never makes any sense when you see a school with more than 4 coaches on the bench, it should just be varsity and her staff. What does an extra coach bring to the table but a distraction?

Date: January 01, 2012 09:04PM

I understand that they have to field a team but even second string has to have potential to make varsity. So what your saying is only six players should play and nobody else? If thats the case then just have a team of six! I understand about practice players but some on that team could have been left on jv to get more experience not to be on the bench not getting the game experience.

Date: January 01, 2012 09:11PM

LB Fan

I would be careful quoting VHSL mission here. I still dont think W vs L is the total issue. Talk to the kids that did not return. The issues run deeper. If as you say the goal is to develop student athletes into adults then the examples set by the staff are the most important issue of all. And all the kids on the team deserve opportunities to develop. If the goal is to win no matter what then that is different.

Experience is almost always a huge asset. If the team has struggled and will continue to do so then it seems developing thw kids should be short term goal. And no one can deny that experience helps in that realm. Experience is something you have to earn.

What bothers me is that no one seems to appreciate the time and hard work all the kids put in to create a team. You cannot practice with six kids. To say that the others dont belong there is not nice. Unfortunately there will be no real success for either goal until there is trust. Coaches must earn that.

Date: January 01, 2012 09:19PM

And coaches see talent differently. No two coaches would agree who shoukd play on that team with the exception of the two captains. All would agree on their talent. The real truth is all the others have their strenghts and weaknesss. And who is to say they can't develop if they are given chance.

Posted by: LB Alum ()
Date: January 01, 2012 09:39PM

LB Fan Wrote:
> Crazy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The coach must of thought that all the kids are
> > good or they would not be on varsity. So you lb
> > fan must have a child on the team that you
> think
> > is the best. Sorry that is just what it sounds
> > like.
>
>
> Think a little bit, LB has to field a varsity
> team, it's the 12-15 best girls that tryout, it
> doesn't mean there is 12-15 varsity caliber
> players, realisticaly there is 6 or 7 players that
> are of a varsity caliber, and only 1 that is an
> above average varsity player.
>
> The results may not be to everyones satisfaction
> so far, but lets face it not everyone wins, there
> are losing teams. The number 1 purpose of a high
> school coach is to develop student athletes into
> adults. The winning and losing is really second
> nature but people fail to acknowledge that. The
> VHSL Mission Statement even states this.
>
> Oh and to the poster above it's *accept not
> except, I usually don't correct grammar but you
> make Lake Braddock look real bad after
> acknowledging your an alum.

Thanks Coach, if you just had that attention to detail when developing these players, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Date: January 01, 2012 10:03PM

Im not trying to be smart! Im asking if that is what you are saying? The coach obviously thinks all the girls have at least varsity potential right? Maybe only one with d-1 chance but two or 3 POSSIBLY with low level d-3 chance. I thought high school basketball is suppose to be for fun? A chance to have a memory and experience that will last forever. I do agree it is supposed to also teach kids how to be adults. So we do agree on a few things! But if girls are not having fun what does it matter? Lets be real here no college coaches are going to come out to see any girl who plays for this school. My apologies maybe only one. Most college coaches see girls through AAU.

Posted by: Red Auerbach ()
Date: January 02, 2012 12:12AM

Girls basketball is not important at LBSS. Soccer, field hockey, and lacrosse rule. Better athletes focus on these sports. AD could help here, but girls basketball is not a winning tradition for him to support. (Varsity football wasn't either, but a few blue-chip athletes changed that losing history.) Boys basketball doesn't have a winning tradition either, but a good coach ekes out enough wins each season and stays competitive with his stall-ball offense.

Posted by: GrammarCheck ()
Date: January 02, 2012 03:15AM

Funniest thing in this 2 page thread : "Oh and to the poster above it's *accept not except, I usually don't correct grammar but you make Lake Braddock look real bad after acknowledging your an alum."... I usually don't correct grammar either but it's "you're" not 'your' (conjugation of 'you are' !!..but good point on the 'accept' instead of 'except').

Date: January 02, 2012 09:30AM

Now immature adults are resorting to grammar checks? By the way lb fan "look real good" it should be really. I would be safe in saying you never went to lb since "you're" grammar is poor.

Posted by: tc student ()
Date: January 02, 2012 10:01AM

Be tedious all you want but accept vs except is just comical. The your, you're error is far more common. You dig?

Date: January 02, 2012 10:31AM

The AD knew what he was getting when they hired the coach. She is not going anywhere this season so you should show her your support then she can concentrate on getting the team better. Coaching AAU would help her to give her more exsperiance at coaching. Her asst. coach also does AAU. If you look at the player honestly there are no D-1 players. Natilie might get there but only because of her size not from her talent. She is getting better but right now she is not D1- level. I guess she could get there with time. Has only played AAU for 2years. The two small guards did not even play county basketball.

Natilie tried to transfer to Robinson over the summer but LB AD saw her playing with Robinson at summer team camp at VCU and then she was not transferring. I'm sure she would have had to sit a year if she did

Posted by: hoopsandmore ()
Date: January 02, 2012 10:46AM

Problem is there are multiple AAU players who are barely playing. These kids all have some skills and game experience and could contribute to this team. No they are not college bound. This happened last year. It does not make any sense to exclude them. This season needs to be about this season. The kids who work hard six days a week deserve this.

Date: January 02, 2012 10:47AM

AAu play of course does to ensure someone will be good but it gives experience. We are back to that word again

Date: January 02, 2012 10:53AM

Big Mac. It sounds like you would make good coach

Posted by: aau insider ()
Date: January 02, 2012 02:06PM

hoopsandmore Wrote:
> AAu play of course does to ensure someone will be
> good but it gives experience. We are back to that
> word again

That's the thing, playing AAU will undoubtedly make you better, but anyone can play AAU and just getting better does not necessarily mean they are good enough. There's a lot of AAU players that will never make a varsity team on the guys side, I admit I don't know as much about AAU on the girls side though.

Date: January 02, 2012 06:10PM

Most successful teams have many girls doing AAU

Posted by: ABU ()
Date: January 02, 2012 08:27PM

No way Lake Braddock has AAU players out there with that awkwardness. We saw them play. Give em time. Maybe we are wrong but if they play AAU must be against more nobodies.

Date: January 02, 2012 08:33PM

That is the point. AAU players on the bench. Why

Date: January 02, 2012 09:25PM

Several players play AAU. Three on the same team and they have play together for many years. The best player on the team is hurt and will not play this year. All the top players on girls high school varsity teams play AAU. But many players do not play AAU and many high school team have these players also because there is not enough players to fill your team. So almost all girls high school teams have both players that do play AAU and players that do not.

Date: January 02, 2012 09:33PM

From what my son said there are four from same AAU team. One is hurt. They have played together in hundreds of games. And he said at least 3 others have played a year or so of AAU.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: January 03, 2012 12:47AM

Why is your son talking to you about the girls and their AAU experience? The reality is there are thousands of AAU players that are not good, just because someone does AAU does not make them better than the starters on Lake Braddock. Trust the coaches that see them 6 days a week at practice.

Date: January 03, 2012 08:00AM

LB coach must have seen these AAU players play, if they have played 100's of games together. Obviously some of them are not very good, otherwise they would be on the floor. The parent jealousy is a bit much.
When "the talent" does not play this week and LB wins, what next ?
Wonder if this much time is spent if the kid does not have good grades.
Is the AAU coach on the bench, or in the program ?

Posted by: Hilarious Stuff ()
Date: January 03, 2012 09:07AM

Man, it's not hard to see that 90% of this thread is ONE whining parent. Here's a clue: just because a kid was on an AAU team does NOT mean the kid is bound for glory.

Posted by: MakeanExcuse ()
Date: January 03, 2012 09:42AM

Seems like there is more than just parents here.
And where there is this much smoke there is fire.
It is possible that the coach does not play the right people.
Not saying that is true or not true but it happens all the time.

Posted by: In the Building ()
Date: January 03, 2012 10:42AM

A lot of theories here, but some missed points.

Martino gave this coach a shot because she was his daughter's AAU coach. Its who you know sometimes.

While Rocky has his faults, he would have been a better choice to get something out of the very little talent pool. Say what you want, but the kids love him.

Just because LB has 2500+ students doesn't mean that the halls are bleeding with talent (on the boys side either) I would say that only a handful that could help are not playing.

The transfers did hurt them, and they left because of issues with the staff, one previous, and one current.

Let's not get it twisted, Lb is not a hot bet for basketball, boys or girls, but since we are talking girls, it's not Oakton, TC or West Springfield.

An earlier poster had a point, youth league feeders do have some baring on the player's development. At one point in time, BRYC was among the top in the county league which produced kids that had some talent. It by no means is the only factor, but it plays a role. Interaction with your feeder system via camps, clinics etc. can go a long way towards helping the future of your program.

AAU - just because you are on a AAU/Showcase team, it doesn't mean that you are good. One would think so, but we all know that there are some political picks in there. Now there should be a correlation with a standout AAU player that is working on their skills in the offseason that shows itself in the winter.

While I am not for or against the staff, but no staff is perfect and has to learn and grow. We live in a microwave society where we want instant results. While it may not make some parents happy, but its not a sprint, its a marathon and it takes time to get to the top. I think the question here is, is LB a stepping stone for those that may go on to be better somewhere else, or does it want to position itself to be a contender in the Northern Region, or even just in the Patriot.

If you are a parent, and you feel that your child has not been given the opportunity to show what she can do, then continuously voice your opinion, (if its valid) to both the coach and the DSA. Also, make sure you do everything in your power to help your daughter improve, and that doesn't always mean going out and hiring a shooting coach. We don't spend the required time with our kids really to help them improve on the fundamentals. (I know this sounds like a coaches response, but I can assure you I am not her) How many hours have you logged in rebounding for her? My point is they assistance outside of practice to improve their fundamentals.

Now, to answer the original question, the turnover has been more recent: Harris did not have much to work with, and parents did not see it that way and did what they could to get him out. He's now doing decently at North Stafford. What will happen with the current coach, who knows, but we all know that winning cures all ills!

Posted by: out of the building ()
Date: January 03, 2012 11:36AM

In the building, I think you made some valid points
Here are a few more.

The handful of players that are not playing, could possibly help them be more competitive and start the building of the program.

LB has some very good girls sport teams, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, and Track are always very competitive in the region. So they have the atletes in the school. They could be coached up and be developed into role players. I do relize that all are not basketball players, but they are atheltic enough that they could be utilzed to help the program. This would allow more competition during try-outs and bring the best out of all players.

At WS and Oakton, they have some superstars, but they also have athletes around them to help in a support role.

Most feel that this program should be competing for the Patriot distict title every year, as they do in other sports.

Posted by: Flip ()
Date: January 03, 2012 11:41AM

What is wrong with all of you ppl? Everyone has good theories but the fact of the matter is, the talent is just not there. Even the big tall chick is horrible but she is just bigger than everyone else, so that is getting her over. There is not talent on the bench, there is no talent in the other levels. I know that may sound mean to some of you parents but that is the truth. I know everyone thinks their kids are good because they was good in youth league or on an AAU team but that is different than high school hoop. I don't think a lot of you know anything about hoop, I think a lot of you are speaking from emotion because you want your child on the floor more. If your child is not playing there is a reason, this lady has NO TALENT i say again. You guys are expecting her to work a miracle, turn shit into chicken salad, but you have to honest with yourselves and your children.

Maybe there is more she could be doing,or maybe she is doing all she can with the poor talent she is working with. You can teach as much as you want but if the kids can't physically do what you ask it's not on her as the coach. You guys act like there is so many issues as being a coach, the main issue is parents trying to live through their kids. Just because you was good as an athlete doesn't mean our child is going to be good. Parents need to relax, enjoy the ride and joy your child is having as a player. If the kids are not doing that or think they can do better then hey MOVE!!! Take them somewhere else, I will bet my pay check they either get cut or not play a minute somewhere else. AGAIN, PARENTS RELAX AND ENJOY!!! Her experience has nothing to do with it, I don't care who you get to run the program they will be terrible...better yet if the job comes open i say all you know it all's need to put your name in the hat as the next coach. Then let's see how much better you can be with the group of ladies at LB.

Posted by: Pat Summitt ()
Date: January 03, 2012 12:02PM

Everyone take a chill pill. LB basketball is not a force to be reckoned with...never has been...never will be. Anybody with REAL talent will find their way to West Springfield or some other traditional powerhouse. The lack of a winning history dissuades girls from selecting b-ball over other sports. The local youth programs are all about participation and parent-coach preferential treatment. Do not expect this to continue at the varsity high school level. Typical of FFX COUNTY, so many youth athletes play AAU/travel/select/showcase b-ball that it is no longer representative of elite (best of the best) talent -- same way the AP/Honors curriculum has been dumb downed to accommodate all the "above-average" students. The AAU program is paid for by parents and pimped out by the coaches/assistants/trainers who lure each parent (player) into thinking their kid is the next Sue Bird or Candace Parker. PARENTS: KNOW YOUR ROLE -- Support the team, watch the games, encourage the players. That's all, folks.

Posted by: Old House Coach ()
Date: January 03, 2012 03:00PM

Memo to almost all parents:

Your kid's not that good. Seriously. Trust me, if your kid was a serious prospect, you would NOT be whining about her PT in high school, because she'd be playing. The pyramid gets REAL steep. Sure, maybe your kid can play JV at some D-III school; it'll be a valuable experience for them. But stop complaining.

Sheesh.

Posted by: MakeanExcuse ()
Date: January 03, 2012 03:09PM

Seriously anyone who cannot admit that "politics" often plays a major role in hs sports has NEVER been involved in it.

This is MORE TRUE in this county than any other.

Posted by: Moveon ()
Date: January 03, 2012 04:20PM

I think EVERYONE on here needs to stop slandering.

Posted by: Pat Summitt ()
Date: January 03, 2012 11:10PM

Leave the lady coach alone. She's doing the best with what she has on that bench -- which ain't much, but her players play hard and compete. That's all you can ask for. Parents are delusional in FFX CO. If your kid ain't going pro, have a beer, kick back, and watch the game on videotape. You mad, bro?

Posted by: Rocky Carter ()
Date: January 04, 2012 05:15AM

Yes this is Rocky Carter, teacher and assistant boy's basketball coach at Lake Braddock.

I was initially told about this thread by a friend of mine this Saturday in which Leigh Janis ( Kampman) our Girls Basketball Coach, was being slammed by people. I didn’t pay attention to it. Didn’t care about people and their opinions on message boards.

Then yesterday I was greeted at 7:30m by a teacher also telling me about the same thread, but this time I was told about how my name was brought up and why I wasn’t hired, and how there were more qualified candidates than Leigh, how she is a bad coach, and just otherwise ripping her apart. The teacher also implied it looked as though I posted things on there. That really bothered me as I don’t post on FFU and stopped posting on VA Preps sometime back.

I went to my AD and told him what I was told. I gave him my word as a man I have never, nor would I ever, say anything to, or about, anyone on some message board. I had already told him I was very disappointed in how Leigh was being treated before I even knew of this thread. I said I was going to look at the thread later and probably respond. He was very much against my doing so.

What has been written about Leigh, in my opinion ONLY, is both not true and absolutely UNFAIR to her and her players. It isn’t right. I hurt for Leigh in how she is being what I consider slandered by parents/coaches/applicants, etc. It doesn’t matter who they are. It is just plain wrong. She is the same age as my own daughter.

Having an opinion about someone is fine. But I want to make sure the truth regarding me and LB basketball is known:

I work for whom many consider one of the best basketball coaches around in Brian Metress and I am having a complete blast, and have done so for the past (6) years. I have not been involved girl’s basketball since 2005, except for training a young lady in the summer for free in 2009.

Yes I applied for, yet did not get the GBB coaching job at LB. And yes there were others who did the same, and they too did not get the job. Yes I was disappointed. So what? It wasn’t the first time, and it surely will not be the last, I was disappointed in someone’s decision about me with what I wanted to do. It happens. I’ve moved on.

Sadly, parents from the LB girl's BB team few years ago wanted to get rid of then-coach Carl Harris, who I consider a great man and mentor of kids. They blasted him constantly to my AD. Unfortunately my AD made the decision to release Carl from coaching. He then hires another coach and now a different group of people is upset and wants that coach out. Frankly I don’t understand it.

Leigh Janis is going to be a very good coach. Just last night they beat WT Woodson. They are getting better. Anyone can see it. I personally think she is great for these kids. She has great passion. I honestly told her just a few weeks ago that it was my hope she coaches just how she played; aggressive and with passion. And she is doing just that. I am proud she is our coach. She deserves the chance to be successful. I promise, if she is given that chance - and I know she will be given that chance by administration and others – she will do great things for Lake Braddock Girl's Basketball.

I ask everyone to please stop posting such nasty things about her here. At the very least she deserves the respect of having people tell her face-to-face instead of saying it anonymously on some message board. She has no way to defend herself, nor should she want to on such a forum.

Again, she is doing her very best for your kids. She wants to, and expects to, win every game. She absolutely deserves each parent’s support, along with the community’s. She has my unwavering support, though she doesn’t need it nor has she asked for it. She has some great young ladies on that team who, if they are just left alone and given the support from everyone around them, will become very good basketball players and have fun in the process.

Remember this – Leigh was not responsible for Carl getting fired. Leigh was not responsible for me or any other applicant not getting hired. She applied just like everyone else and was the one chosen, period. Besides, who’s to say things would have been any different had myself, Dave McRae, Crenshaw, or any of the other applicants been hired? No one knows what would have happened.

Leigh is a very capable and good coach. She deserves the opportunity succeed, and she will, with or without people’s support, though it would be much more fun if she had it. She deserves it.

Let men pose this question: What if it was your daughter in her shoes? How would you feel? What if it was you?

I just ask that you take a step back and reflect. Is this fair?

If you have any questions, please don’t put it on here. Email me at tarheelsaaubasketball@ live.com as I won’t respond to FFU.

Rocky Carter

Posted by: Longtime Hoops Fan ()
Date: January 04, 2012 09:24AM

For those concerned about the kids and kids at LB who are not getting to play, this is an incredible opportunity and life lesson. If your child or you are a child that is sitting the bench or not a favorite of the coach, hard work can change that.

I have had (3) kids play High School sports in Fairfax County, I played HS sports in Fairfax County. We have had some good coaches and some less experienced coaches, all turned into good experiences because we participated and encouraged our kids to work through the impediments. They are now successful adults in large part because of the experiences they gained as HS athletes and the work ethic it requires to participate.

Supporting the LB Girls basketball program and coaching staff and taking the steps to become better through hard work is the answer, not whining and complaining, whether through an annonomous blog or directly to the AD, Consider the incredible energy a young, talented coaching staff can bring to a school and team and maximize your upside. Stop whining and get to work!

Posted by: history lesson ()
Date: January 04, 2012 09:50AM

I laugh at the people who say "Lake Braddock was never a force in girl's basketball" on this thread.

The '88-'89 team went undefeated and won a state title and had numerous D-1 stars on it. Karen Jenkins went to AU and Laura Teter played at Mason. Also, soccer start Collette Cunningham (Mary Washington/NC State) was the PG on that team. They lost the state final in '88 and went 30-0 in '89 to win states.

So there's that....

Posted by: Joe Gibbs ()
Date: January 04, 2012 10:17AM

Dear History Lesson: The current year is 2012. The Redskins also had great teams in the 80's. What have they done lately?

Posted by: Supporting Parent ()
Date: January 04, 2012 10:20AM

Mr. Carter: Thanks for the sincere input and offering stand-up comments to an out-of-control thread of rumor, innuendo, and pettiness on the part of a few. Good parents support their teams and coaches, regardless of their daughter's or son's playing time.

Posted by: Moveon ()
Date: January 04, 2012 10:59AM

Cant everyone just let this go already. The bad mouthing and name calling is a bit much. I am a parent and am very tired of it!

Date: January 04, 2012 12:24PM

Well said Rocky. Please read his post above.
This program needs the support of the parents and players. Rocky is right, no matter who got the job it might be the same, you never know. Got rid of Harris but not much has changed so maybe it's not the coach.
Leigh has lot's of basketball exsperience and she played at a high level. I think that was a big factor to her getting the job, so she could share that with these players and show them what it takes to get there also.
All she needs is a chance so give it to her. Even Billy Gibson and Fred Prister had to have their first years at coaching and I sure parents were upset with them at times.

Posted by: Don't Bring him Up ()
Date: January 04, 2012 12:32PM

BigMac Wrote:
> Well said Rocky. Please read his post above.
> This program needs the support of the parents and
> players. Rocky is right, no matter who got the job
> it might be the same, you never know. Got rid of
> Harris but not much has changed so maybe it's not
> the coach.
> Leigh has lot's of basketball exsperience and she
> played at a high level. I think that was a big
> factor to her getting the job, so she could share
> that with these players and show them what it
> takes to get there also.
> All she needs is a chance so give it to her. Even
> Billy Gibson and Fred Prister had to have their
> first years at coaching and I sure parents were
> upset with them at times.

Don't mention Fred Priester on here, the only thing he figured out how to do was recruit girls through his summer camps.

Posted by: ex-coach ()
Date: January 04, 2012 01:51PM

No matter how many times I see Fred Preister and Basketball in the same sentence I can't help but LMAO.

Ask girls that played at Oakton, to them he is a clown.

And, no, I was not a girls basketball coach.

Posted by: Ancient Bruin ()
Date: January 04, 2012 01:59PM

history lesson Wrote:
> I laugh at the people who say "Lake Braddock was
> never a force in girl's basketball" on this
> thread.
>
> The '88-'89 team went undefeated and won a state
> title and had numerous D-1 stars on it. Karen
> Jenkins went to AU and Laura Teter played at
> Mason. Also, soccer start Collette Cunningham
> (Mary Washington/NC State) was the PG on that
> team. They lost the state final in '88 and went
> 30-0 in '89 to win states.
>
> So there's that....

Class of '89 here. You need to go back and read page 1 of this thread as I had already posted this information.

And to the person posting as "Joe Gibbs" who gave my pal "history lesson" a hard time about this being 2012 and the Bruins were state champs back in '89 well, "Joe Gibbs" was responding to the people who said "Lake Braddock was NEVER a force in girls basketball". Are they a force NOW? No. Have they EVER been a force? Yes. These are 2 seperate issues though.

Posted by: Change ()
Date: January 04, 2012 10:01PM

Be the Change you Wish to See in the World.
Ghandi

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: January 07, 2012 05:35PM

BigMac Wrote:
> Totally disagree that 2 years as asst. at Madison
> is enough to become a head coach.

It's Madison Time!

Fairfaxunderground rules: Lilliputions, not ok. Midgettville ok. I got it now.

Posted by: BigMacsRight ()
Date: January 09, 2012 02:30PM

BigMac Wrote:
> Totally disagree that 2 years as asst. at Madison
> is enough to become a head coach

(Cute Madison dance video..BUT..) Big Mac is right. This is not Orange or Culpepper Va or Podunk where someone with two years Asst coach experience can take over a program to get their feet wet and learn the ropes with their own program: to learn how to work with colleges, parents and the girls as well as the feeder programs (very valid point that other high schools have this and it is ignored at LB). This is Fairfax Va. with one of the most populated schools and largest school systems in the country. This is especially true as some of the parents at LB who had girls playing the year the new coach was to come, contacted parents of players at Madison (two starters as these parents knew each other from their girls playing AAU) Those Madison parents stated, and I quote, "Oh yes, she is the pretty one who knows how to call time outs." Their daughters never interacted with her (but spoke highly of Katie). The new coach never sent out a bio or letter of introduction and with no other real coaching background they were trying to find out something.
Nice to say parents need to back off and let her be the coach, nice sentiment but does not address the issue at hand of coach turnover because inexperienced coaches being hired. This one was the third Vogues coach in a row by the way (this one just one year for a 12 year old Regional team she took over from the current Lake Braddock Athletic Director who coached the same team with his daughter on it the previous year! Oh what a tangled web we weave. I will give you time to let that sink in

Posted by: BigMacsRight ()
Date: January 09, 2012 03:09PM

The Rocky Carter posting states she deserves the respect to have it said face to face. Two seniors and one junior who had played most of their young lives tried that preseason, they asked for a meeting, they sat in her office and shared their concerns and she shut them down and told them this was her program and they had no input into anything. All three quit afterwards (and the fourth senior decided to not even try out after last year). Not much respect for that, who is to know if someone else was hired that the outcome would have been different?? If I was a betting man I would say I am 99% sure if you or any of the other seasoned coaches were hired they would have handled this differently. More seasoned coaches would not be dropping the F bomb on them numerous times during practice either...key word Experience...not for a AAA division VI team. Bring in your Vogues transplants on Freshmen or JV but this was one anymore!

Posted by: Scouts ()
Date: January 10, 2012 10:30PM

All this energy in here and no one scouted Annandale!!!.

Posted by: LB Destroyed ()
Date: January 11, 2012 02:34PM

What happened last night 60-33 is what was supposed to happen when a good well coached team plays Lake Braddock when the other teams starters are not out injured or sick. South County, Lee and West Potomac on a different level than West Springfield, Annandale, TC Williams, (Robinson). It is the coach who should have had someone tape annandale or scout herself and draw up plays accordingly, not whatever alumni , teachers, parents or concerned spectators are posting on here. Key word: Experience

Posted by: in news ()
Date: January 13, 2012 07:16PM

LB in news a lot on here

Posted by: slow learners ()
Date: January 13, 2012 10:05PM

Some people never ever learn

Posted by: the winner ()
Date: January 20, 2012 11:51AM

Who will win
WS or LB

Posted by: redskns ()
Date: January 20, 2012 03:30PM

Is this like a Steelers and Redskins match up

Posted by: JimmyTheGreek ()
Date: January 23, 2012 11:30AM

maybe a Steelers vs 1990 Patriots//
Unless The West Springfield starters sit out to assure no injuries for their college scholarships, not like it will be a rough game though, lets just take bets on the point spread of how wide the defeat margin will be on the West Springfield over Lake Braddock game. ///
BTW 'BigMacsRight' I want to hear more about that AD and coaches Vogues inside connection. What is the story there? she had NO AAU experience nothing other than asst Madison till HE gave her his team and then he hired her in over all those experienced coaches after padding her resume? so sad for all those girls and parents who put in all the work and time

lolMadison parents got it right, she IS pretty though

Posted by: JimmyTheGreek ()
Date: January 23, 2012 12:11PM

Oh Jimmy the greek would bet WS wins by 17, Guess they Played Friday already.

Posted by: Nigglets ()
Date: January 23, 2012 02:59PM

Cuz thos bitches be ugly

Posted by: The Cold Hard Reality ()
Date: January 24, 2012 10:46AM

The cold hard truth is this is what sports has become at the high school and the youth level.

It as political as this election. I guess the good news is the kids learn a hard lesson about life at a young age. Nothing is fair. And it won't ever change til the parents learn to take a stand. For those blaming the parents on this blog, you could not be more wrong.

Go watch a game. Watch the screaming and yelling. Talk to the players both past and present --but don't talk to the ones being given opportunities they have NEVER earned and still don't earn. They think it is great. Listen to what the college scouts in the audience are saying.

Talk to people who are really "in the know." and what you find out will shock you.

Posted by: entertainment ? ()
Date: January 24, 2012 11:37AM

I have seen them play and like the part where the girl runs with the ball prior to dribbling.

Posted by: entertainment x 2 ()
Date: January 24, 2012 12:15PM

Hey, that is the coach's favorite player. Will the LB administration be smart enough to do anything about this coach? The temper tantrums? Inability to assess talent? Not setting the right example for young girls?

Posted by: embarrassed ()
Date: January 24, 2012 05:21PM

Seeing varsity starters run with the ball is no laughing matter. That is what second graders do. It is shameful. Not funny at all.

Posted by: Humor ()
Date: January 24, 2012 08:00PM

What coach would take varsity players on a team that have never played? I also want to know more about the hiring of the LB coach. Very intriguing i must say.

Posted by: no Humor ()
Date: January 24, 2012 08:17PM

One with an agenda to keep a job she should never have been given.

Posted by: no Humor ()
Date: January 24, 2012 08:18PM

Shame on LB administration

Posted by: keep on defending her ()
Date: January 24, 2012 09:42PM

Two technicals in two games. What a great role model those coaches are. Keep on defending her.

Posted by: same thng ()
Date: January 24, 2012 10:46PM

Hey maybe this post on the LB admin one in the same

Posted by: AnswerYou ()
Date: January 24, 2012 11:13PM

She was head coach one season for a Vogues regional team. Madison assistant which i have no clue for how long.

Posted by: ThanksAnswerYOU ()
Date: January 25, 2012 11:15AM

I think it has been clearly established on this blog that this person should have never been hired for this job. Will LB admit their mistake or continue to treat fans to poorly coached games, so-called varsity players who run with the ball and play like house players -- not to mention to what others are saying in the stands. The coach should resign.

Posted by: derrr ()
Date: January 25, 2012 11:36AM

ThanksAnswerYOU Wrote:
> I think it has been clearly established on this
> blog that this person should have never been hired
> for this job. Will LB admit their mistake or
> continue to treat fans to poorly coached games,
> so-called varsity players who run with the ball
> and play like house players -- not to mention to
> what others are saying in the stands. The coach
> should resign.

i think whats been "clearly established" is that you are a typical helicopter parent. Too much of a wimp to address the situation head on, you resort to anonymous postings on a "blog" (really?) to rabble rouse and accuse.

Oh, and the reason your kid is on the bench? Because she's not any good. Period.
your internet priviledges should be revoked.

Posted by: Whatever2 ()
Date: January 25, 2012 11:48AM

I am not a parent.
And you dont know what you are talking about

Posted by: Hilarrrious ()
Date: January 25, 2012 04:06PM

Y'all enjoy your little circle of whine. Coaches will coach; players will play; parents of players who can't play will complain.

Posted by: whatever3 ()
Date: January 25, 2012 06:02PM

And administrators will continue to cover up behaviors that violate basic principles. News flash: Sometimes complants, whether by parents, players, former players, College scouts etc. are valud.

Posted by: inExperience ()
Date: January 25, 2012 07:23PM

Who ever the parent or non parents are on here it does not matter because it appears to be the only place anyone can vent or try to get the truth (and I do not dispute many of these things are the truth coming directly from the girls, or are able to be verified on the internet) out which is always swept under the rug by the AD and the school board , as the AD is in collusion with his hand picked, resume padded Vogues picks as stated a few times above. I googled it after reading that. It seems everyone knows , I have a child that graduated lake Braddock. I have friends who still have kids there, I still live in the community and like to attend games from time to time but it is difficult to watch anymore. My family and I used to go to their Friday night home games, both Girls and boys. Not anymore for the girls, Lake Braddock girls are hard to watch They are so poorly coached. Their big-Natalie would have been better off to go to a private school cause she is getting no development there.( in fact, probably more harm than good even if stats look good) I did hear from one of the parents of a player currently on the girls team (who DOES get playing time, not that it matters in what I am raising here) who told me according to the girls, this coach yells at the players to "GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES",more than once, then gets yet another technical screaming at the refs, after not going into the locker room at halftime last night telling the girls she did not want to see their faces,great example of maturity and teaching your girls to pout and stomp your feet when you dont get your way. Lee was actually neck and neck with them. pretty sad. I just might go to a game again just to count the turnovers of the 2 new freshmen I watched twice (one played a season of travel basketball and the other never played except for her church for fun) and record it. The coaches and people in the stands all talk about it. I am sure their parents would disagree but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck , well lets call it like it is. If the coach reads this blog she ought to know people talk, LB has a reputation now of not caring about the girls basketball program. It is clear by the experience and maturity level of this new hire. but once again nobody, parents-wise, will say anything because if you speak up their kids pay with playing time, it is how LB has ALWAYS been So they suffer through unless they take their kids to private schools, the AD will not approve any transfers either cause I know that big girl over at PVI with all the D-1 offers tried to transfer to Robinson. That mom sat in meetings with the AD and the principal with all the experienced applicants' resumes she brought along with her because she knew all the applicants and she told me she was told they were going to '""try someone who is more relatable, who has been there, played in college, a girl". comical it is so pathetic. I think Natalie tried as well, it is so sad, look how far she has come in a couple years and imagine if she had an experienced coach! I spoke to people at one of the boys games who said there are players on the girls team who could not even initially run a three on three drill in practice. HUH What? Varsity? now I read all the seniors and a junior quit cause the coach would not give them the respect to listen . Not her fault? If given a chance she will be a great coach? again let us call a duck a duck. The AD should not have this degreee of unchecked power to continuously bring in his inexperienced Vogue picks. The girls, their parents, the school and the community deserve better.

Posted by: Amen ()
Date: January 25, 2012 11:10PM

Amen inexperience

Posted by: dodo ()
Date: January 25, 2012 11:28PM

Big girl will develop in AAU, private training or her daddy, not Coach Hothead. It is obvious lot of her rebounds are from her own players airballs.

Date: January 26, 2012 12:13AM

If everyone only knew the truth. Hmmm maybe one day they will.

Posted by: hoot ()
Date: January 26, 2012 12:45AM

me thinks all that hootin and hollerin might just be about this here thread. she's gotta be wondering which snot nosed kid or parent started it.

Posted by: dodo is funny ()
Date: January 26, 2012 12:52AM

..""not Coach Hothead. It is obvious lot of her rebounds are from her own players airballs.""

Read that about an hour ago and had to sign back in to tell you I have been laughing ever since. WHat is sad is how true it is ! ROFL

Posted by: A Duck is a Duck ()
Date: January 26, 2012 08:59AM

Amen! Amen! Amen!

There are players on that team who should have been played ALL ALONG over those freshman. They could NOT do any worse. That is why so many QUIT. They had spent years playing and what someone referred to as "Coach Hothead" benched them. And I was personally told by a parent that her child was benched because she spoke up last year. Ditto for this year. It has happened to AT least two players this year too that I know of because I follow this sport. And don't anyone dare come on here and say they suck. Don't blame the kids or parents.
I can't even imagine how the parents and the girls must feel. The whole high school system is talking about it.

People come here because LB DOES NOT LISTEN!!!!!!

Posted by: Circle of Whine ()
Date: January 26, 2012 09:42AM

Y'all keep complaining. I read this, and then looked up their record -- 6-10 overall, 5-4 in conference. Not great; not bad; certainly not worse than LB girls have been doing for a while. Just because the self-appointed coaching society/whining parents league isn't happy doesn't mean she doesn't know her business. The dogs bark on this board; the caravan moves on.

Posted by: A Quacking Parent Whining ()
Date: January 26, 2012 10:17AM

A Duck is a Duck Wrote:
> Amen! Amen! Amen!
>
> There are players on that team who should have
> been played ALL ALONG over those freshman. They
> could NOT do any worse. That is why so many QUIT.
> They had spent years playing and what someone
> referred to as "Coach Hothead" benched them. And
> I was personally told by a parent that her child
> was benched because she spoke up last year. Ditto
> for this year. It has happened to AT least two
> players this year too that I know of because I
> follow this sport. And don't anyone dare come on
> here and say they suck. Don't blame the kids or
> parents.
> I can't even imagine how the parents and the girls
> must feel. The whole high school system is
> talking about it.
>
> People come here because LB DOES NOT LISTEN!!!!!!

They QUIT. As in, they dont play anymore. As in, other kids were better, not snot-nosed and lazy.
Just because the quitter's parents cant watch little Suzie dribble off her foot anymore, doesn't require any action whatsoever from the LB coach or administration. And the whining from some fat-assed helicopter-mom who wouldn't know a basketball from a football doesn't make it "right".
And you whiners come here to rabble rouse, pure and simple. If your kids knew what you were writing on a public message board, they'd be EXTREMELY embarrassed.

Date: January 26, 2012 10:17AM

Hey circle of whine bet if you were a parent there and knew the whole truth things i have not seen brought up on here you would be pissed off too. I think it is much deeper than playing time much much deeper. So until you know the whole truth maybe you need to keep your opinions to yourself. Better yet go watch a game i have and its awful. So with that being said you enjoy your day.

Posted by: Circle of Whine ()
Date: January 26, 2012 10:39AM

Amen Wrote:
> Hey circle of whine bet if you were a parent there
> and knew the whole truth things i have not seen
> brought up on here you would be pissed off too. I
> think it is much deeper than playing time much
> much deeper. So until you know the whole truth
> maybe you need to keep your opinions to yourself.
> Better yet go watch a game i have and its awful.
> So with that being said you enjoy your day.

If you've got something to say, say it. Don't darkly say, "Oh, if you only knew what I know." Say it. Or shut your fucking trap. Oh, and you enjoy YOUR day, gutless. Don't tell me to keep my opinions to myself. I've seen this team play, thank you very much. Quitters quit.

Date: January 26, 2012 10:58AM

Guess what i just did tell you to keep your opinions to yourself so maybe you can use some more cuss words. I guess if your child saw the language your using they would be embarrassed oh wait the apple doesnt fall far from the tree now does it. Grow up troll! You are useless on this site nobody cares to hear you calling people names or using your bad language. Guess you must be watching a diffrent game then all others. So if you have seen games then you wouldnt need to look up record now would you.

Posted by: Secret Boy ()
Date: January 26, 2012 11:19AM

Shhhhhh . . . Amen has secrets about the coach . . . he's going to keep his secrets . . . but they're bad . . . real bad . . . ooooooh.

Posted by: Some things you dont post ()
Date: January 26, 2012 11:21AM

Unlike some people on this blog who call people names and trash kids, some people have more class than to put certain things on the internet. So Circle of Whine is a friend of the coach, a coach or some parent who does not know basketball. Maybe one of these days someone will post "the whole story."

Wins and Losses are not the only measure of a good program. Ok, sports crazies, go ahead and slam me now. But some things are MUCH more important than basketball --- like setting a good example (what did the earlier poster say about stomping off at a game) not using bad language (and I don't care that professional coaches do this it is hs) and other things that are blatantly wrong but do not belong on here. YES PEOPLE I SAID IT. Some things matter more than winning.

This is the fault of LB adminstration pure and simple.

Date: January 26, 2012 11:37AM

Maybe i do maybe i dont secret boy. Why do you care are you involved in this nope. So go where someone actually cares or were you the unsocial kid in school who nobody gave two craps about. Im just laughing at those on here that are trolls i think its funny. To have a blogger with that kind of temper. The name calling etc.... Just shows how some cant control tempers haha. I love to piss people off and guess what i just did that exact thing haha.Im enjoying this joke of a website its keeping me laughing.

Posted by: Oldest Trick In the Book ()
Date: January 26, 2012 12:20PM

Oh, so you DON'T have any secret knowledge about the program and the coach?

Well, well. Nice spinning mid-air 180 there.

I guess what we see is what we get.j

If there's a whole story, post it. But you cowards don't have the stones.

Date: January 26, 2012 12:40PM

Coward haha your funny you idiot i said maybe maybe not. If you want continue this argument im not backing down so keep on im finding enjoyment in your posts. I love a challenge please please keep on with your nonsense. Wow this fun im enjoying it haha.

Posted by: Amen, Not A Man ()
Date: January 26, 2012 01:01PM

Here's what you said:

Hey circle of whine bet if you were a parent there
> and knew the whole truth things i have not seen
> brought up on here you would be pissed off too. I
> think it is much deeper than playing time much
> much deeper. So until you know the whole truth
> maybe you need to keep your opinions to yourself.
> Better yet go watch a game i have and its awful.
> So with that being said you enjoy your day.

"Maybe maybe not" came later. When you threw it into reverse. Because you are a coward. If you're so concerned about the LB girls' coach, how about letters to the principal? The athletic administration? The newspaper? But you don't have the guts.

Pages: Previous1234567891011All...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 14

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.