HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 189
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Margie ()
Date: December 15, 2007 12:27AM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 03:57PM by Margie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BirdLover ()
Date: December 15, 2007 02:27AM

margie,

You are so out there.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: December 15, 2007 03:09AM

Margie must be a South Lakes parent. They love to tell people what they must do.

Posted by: VaDriver ()
Date: December 15, 2007 08:34AM

Neen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >>>A Christmas present for SLV...<<<
>
> How nice. Hasn't this same person, Erika, written
> several letters to the editor praising South
> Lakes? Can't they find anyone else?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=191492

I thought her name sounded familiar...

Erika Castro said the following while being interviewed by NBC ....."South Lakes High School needs 690 ADVANTAGED children"....that is what is going to make the school GREAT".

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 15, 2007 08:45AM

Neen wrote:
Attachments:
neen.jpg

Date: December 15, 2007 09:12AM

To everyone wishing everyone Merry Christmas:

Not so fast. The County has chosen the last and most important meeting for Dec 19 at Oakton High School. The County School Board and South Lakes advocates want everyone to move on to decorating a Christmas Tree and forget about redistricting. We can mutitask.

And,by the way,at South Lakes (IB)....

the Christmas greeting would be ..Have a Global, environmentally green sustainable, Holiday experience.

Posted by: SLHS Padre ()
Date: December 15, 2007 09:54AM

VaDriver Wrote:
> Neen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > >>>A Christmas present for SLV...<<<
> >
> > How nice. Hasn't this same person, Erika,
> written
> > several letters to the editor praising South
> > Lakes? Can't they find anyone else?
> -----------------------
> http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=191492
>
> I thought her name sounded familiar...
>
> Erika Castro said the following while being
> interviewed by NBC ....."South Lakes High School
> needs 690 ADVANTAGED children"....that is what is
> going to make the school GREAT".

She's been there; she's seen it; now, THEY've got her. Free Erika. She made up her own mind.....(with kudos to Neen).

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Feliz Navidad.

Posted by: Cricket ()
Date: December 15, 2007 10:01AM

SLVerity Wrote:
> Well Cricket, you and I go way back, to around
> page 25 I think, and I genuinely hope that
> everything works out for you and your family. I
> just want people here to know that South Lakes is
> not the bad place that they some have made it out
> to be. I am not saying it's perfect either, it's
> just not bad. I totally understand that you don't
> want to move and if you have any children already
> in high school I am sure that they will stay
> there. But SL is a nice place and the kids are
> genuinely great. I hope that if you are moved you
> will give it a try. I encourage you to show your
> children the Class Speech for 2006. It's on the
> SLPTSA website. It will give you and them a great
> idea about the school.
>
>
Things don't work out well when a community is split apart. I am sure you understand this, also.

Date: December 15, 2007 10:48AM

SLHS Padre Wrote:
VaDriver Wrote:
http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=191492

I thought her name sounded familiar...

Erika Castro said the following while being
interviewed by NBC ....."South Lakes High
School
needs 690 ADVANTAGED children"....that is what
is
going to make the school GREAT".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Padre wrote:
She's been there; she's seen it; now, THEY've got
her. Free Erika. She made up her own
mind.....(with kudos to Neen).

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Feliz Navidad.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stockholm syndrome is a psychological response sometimes seen in an abducted hostage, in which the hostage shows signs of loyalty to the hostage-taker, regardless of the danger (or at least risk) in which the hostage has been placed.

Date: December 15, 2007 11:39AM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 03:56PM by Margie.

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: December 15, 2007 12:20PM

VaDriver Wrote:

>
> the Christmas greeting would be ..Have a Global,
> environmentally green sustainable, Holiday
> experience.

With a footnote reminder -

*The Reston(r) Association specifies that residents may have a "Holiday Tree" (Tree) provided that such Tree is Forest Green and decorated with fruits and nuts for the birds and squirrels.

Report any violators using "The Complaint Form" available at http://www.reston.org/Property_Maint_Use/images/PDF/COMPLAINT_Form.pdf. And, as always, use recycled paper.

Date: December 15, 2007 02:13PM

>>>You'all have turned an intelligent conversation into marathon of degrading comments.<<<

Then perhaps you would like to bow out.

Buh-bye.

Date: December 15, 2007 02:16PM

>>>>The Reston(r) Association specifies that residents may have a "Holiday Tree" (Tree) provided that such Tree is Forest Green and decorated with fruits and nuts for the birds and squirrels.

Report any violators using "The Complaint Form" available at [www.reston.org]. And, as always, use recycled paper.<<<<

HAHAHAHA...........I am assuming that's a joke and it's darn funny!

Does the RA have rules about Christmas lights?

Oops, sorry, I meant to say 'holiday lights'.

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: December 15, 2007 02:47PM

To all of us who wind up in SL territory;
It would behoove us all and our children to commit ourselves to being active participants in SL school activities. We can raise morale, inspire, generate esprit de corps and motivate. We must have courage and abandon our fears if we are going to be a positive influence in our shared community. Our children feed off of our behavior, and we can teach them to be a part of the solution, or a part of the problem. What do you think they deserve?

To all of you from South Lakes;
I promise, that if my family winds up in SL, that we will be VERY active participants in school life. We will motivate, inspire, and raise up around us as many people as possible to build a better school. You will get to know us VERY well.

=^)

Merry Christmas to you all!

Posted by: Ghost of Christmas Past ()
Date: December 15, 2007 02:49PM

Date: December 15, 2007 03:09PM

REQUEST FOR REVIEW BY COVENANTS COMMITTEE

Complaint regarding:

Property/Street Address
114 Globalization Lane

Property Owner (if known)
Mrs. Rebel

Nature of Complaint:

1. non-compliance with Rule 3a, Addendum iii: Decoration of Winter Tree.

2. Illegal use of pinecones.

3. Failure to provide sustenance for squirrels.

I, Charlotte Clarity, witnessed Mrs. Rebel decorate her winter tree with lights bought from CVS. Lights were suspiciously similar to those used before AG (pro annus globe) One of the lights actually blinked.

Rebel then removed 3 pinecones from sacred forest in center of cul-de-sac and tied them with red string to tree.

Rebel did hang mini feeders for birds but refused to provide sustenance for squirrels. Rebel often expresses her disdain for our squirrel friends when she refers to them as rats, which are, of course, also our friends. Rebel hates rats. Rebel is a hateful person, as we all know.

Name of Initiator: Charlotte Clarity

Address: 177 Citizen Grove

Telephone Home: Exploded from overuse Work: creating global citizens

Signature: Clarity

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: December 15, 2007 03:14PM

Ghost of Christmas Past Wrote:
> http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/
> 7/30/161530.shtml

I now remember that...Gibson is works for The Justice Dept which might be an entity that pursues situations about assigning students to schools not closest to residences on racial basis.

Date: December 15, 2007 03:59PM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 03:56PM by Margie.

Date: December 15, 2007 04:41PM

Berdhuis Wrote:
> To all of us who wind up in SL territory;
> It would behoove us all and our children to commit
> ourselves to being active participants in SL
> school activities. We can raise morale, inspire,
> generate esprit de corps and motivate. We must
> have courage and abandon our fears if we are going
> to be a positive influence in our shared
> community. Our children feed off of our behavior,
> and we can teach them to be a part of the
> solution, or a part of the problem. What do you
> think they deserve?
>
> To all of you from South Lakes;
> I promise, that if my family winds up in SL, that
> we will be VERY active participants in school
> life. We will motivate, inspire, and raise up
> around us as many people as possible to build a
> better school. You will get to know us VERY well.
>
> =^)

You're a man? A single parent dad............RIIIIIGHTTTT............

At least you're nice in this persona. We can all be thankful for that.

Posted by: SueBonnetSue ()
Date: December 15, 2007 04:48PM

Ghost of Christmas Past Wrote:
> [archive.newsmax.com]

He always gets away with it. Democrats must run our Justice department.

Posted by: SueBonnetSue ()
Date: December 15, 2007 04:50PM

Date: December 15, 2007 06:07PM

Neen Wrote:

> You're a man? A single parent
> dad............RIIIIIGHTTTT............

Does this....scare you? Does this.....pull your mind outside of your box?

Date: December 15, 2007 06:15PM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 03:55PM by Margie.

Date: December 15, 2007 06:18PM

Berdhuis, the father of 3 boys, lost his job. Things got so tough, he sold his house. As much as we admire this fine gentleman, we must allow him to seek employment. Afterall, he has 3 hungry mouths to feed.

Chatting here about South Lakes in his ---- aw shucks, don't know if I really want my kids going there, but, well OK, you're all such nice folk, and those other people are selfish, so, HERE WE COME!!!--- persona, only distracts him.

We'd hate to see him sitting on a street corner, unshaven and disheveled, holding a sign..... Hey, fella, Could you spare a dime?

Posted by: Floris Parent ()
Date: December 15, 2007 06:55PM

As a parent living in the Floris area for 15 years, and having been moved multiple times at the whim of a reckless School Board, I think that it is time to stop. It is clear that the SB has targeted the areas that they feel cannot offer any resistance to this boundary study. I have nothing against SL, but having been moved out of Oakton HS to Westfield HS, and now being asked (told) that we will be shipped into SL HS, I would ask any of you what the upside is? This entire study has been a joke, and obviously the "Public input" carries no weight. The latest proposal offered up by the SB is clearly a divide and conquer tactic to pit the Floris community against our neighbors. There is no such thing as an "EAST Floris and a WEST Floris". Can you imagine Rachel Carson Middle School feeding to 4 High Schools? What other school pyramid is being asked to split neighborhoods like this?

Since when does a PTSA (SL) get to select the schools and families that they want to uproot? I was under the impression that the last meeting at Westfield was to offer up opinions on the 4 boundary options as presented by the FCSB. We were not offered the option of bring our own proposal. Did Stu G. suggest that the SL PTSA present the option#5?

I cannot believe that this boundary shift is going to move forward based on the overwhelming public outcry for no changes

It is clear that many deals have been cut, and we can only hope that someone conducts an investigation to determine if any criminal issues are present in this entire process.

Date: December 15, 2007 06:55PM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 03:54PM by Margie.

Posted by: Floris Parent ()
Date: December 15, 2007 07:08PM

Here is an article posted on the Observer from December 7th. It is interesting that the SL PTSA vice president refers to the McNair kids as poor.

I guess what SL wants is not just to fill the school in order to be able to offer more programs etc. They want different kids.

Four Options Proposed for High School Boundary Study
By Rebecca Plevin
Observer Staff Writer
Parents and students from six west county high schools met with county representatives to discuss four possible redistricting solutions Monday night at Westfield High School. The meeting was the second of three community forums designed to give parents and students an opportunity to voice their opinions on the county's plan to address overcrowding at Chantilly and Westfield high schools and under-enrollment at South Lakes High School.
Dean Tistadt, chief operating officer for facilities and transportation services for Fairfax County Public Schools, said the county developed the four plans to show the potential impact to all of the areas studied, but said none of the plans represented a likely solution. He said he would be surprised if one of the options ended up being the county's final proposal.
"I personally did not think any of the four represented the best possible work that could be done," he said in a phone interview Tuesday. "I think they all needed work. None of them got us quite where we needed to go."
In the first boundary change option, students from McNair Elementary School, south of the Dulles Toll Road and west of Centreville Road, and students at Floris Elementary School, east of Sully Road and west of Centreville Road, would transfer from Westfield to Herndon. Additionally, portions of McNair and Floris, south of the Dulles Toll Road and east of Centreville Road, would be moved from Westfield to South Lakes. Oak Hill Elementary School would shift from Chantilly to Westfield.
In the second boundary option, McNair students south of the Dulles Toll Road and west of Centreville Road would relocate to Herndon high and those east of Centreville Road would transfer to South Lakes. Additionally, South Lakes would receive students from the Fox Mill attendance area and the Madison "island," which includes portions of Wolftrap Elementary School. Oak Hill Elementary School would move from Chantilly to Oakton.
Movement of Fox Mill, McNair and Wolftrap elementary students is identical in the third option. Instead of transferring Oak Hill Elementary to Oakton, the county proposes relocating students in the Navy Elementary School attendance area from Chantilly to Oakton.
In the final options, students would relocate from Herndon to South Lakes with the Aldrin and Armstrong attendance areas changing boundaries, and McNair students south of the Dulles Toll Road and east of Centreville Road and Floris students east of Centreville Road would transfer from Westfield to Herndon. South Lakes would receive the Madison "island" students and Oak Hill would shift from Chantilly to Westfield. This is the only option that recommends removing students from Herndon's current boundaries.
At Monday's meeting, county officials asked participants to list one advantage and one disadvantage for each plan. Tistadt said county officials would review comments from the meeting and present one or two potential scenarios at the next meeting, scheduled for Dec. 19 at Oakton High School. He said he had not yet reviewed the comments from the second meeting.
Elizabeth Gibson, Herndon High School's PTSA boundary committee chairman, said Herndon parents are mainly opposed to the fourth plan, which would move Herndon feeder schools Buzz Aldrin and Armstrong elementary schools to the South Lakes district. All four plans would move Westfield students to Herndon, and Gibson said Herndon is open to accepting additional students.
South Lakes PTSA vice president Maria Allen said she thought all the plans needed revision. She said South Lakes opposed the first three plans, which moved students from Westfield feeder school McNair elementary to South Lakes. That plan is, "basically taking low-income kids out of a school that can better support them and putting them in schools that already have very high percentage low-income kids," she said.
Both Gibson and Allen said parents from many schools were concerned about students traveling long distances to get to school. Long commutes, often on congested highways, are "a cost concern to the county and families, both in dollars and time," Gibson said.
Allen said South Lakes has developed their own "option five" plan, which would allow Fox Mill Elementary School families to attend South Lakes, instead of traveling a longer distance to Oakton High School. Their plan would also transfer the Madison "island" and possibly the eastern section of the Floris elementary district to South Lakes. The plan would leave McNair students at Westfield, Allen said.
A number of South Lakes students attended the meeting, including junior Brian Stout. Stout said he supports South Lake's proposed option because "I think that works out better from the whole county perspective."
"I think I should represent the school as best I can," said Stout, explaining why he attended the meeting. "On the whole, South Lakes is getting a better image because we're getting out there."

Copyright © 2003 The Herndon Publishing Company

Date: December 15, 2007 07:53PM

Floris Parent Wrote:
> Here is an article posted on the Observer from
> December 7th. It is interesting that the SL PTSA
> vice president refers to the McNair kids as poor...

So the Herndon and South Lkaes PTA's did the boundary plan. Tisdadt is not pleased with any individual scenario. I thought we were all paying his dept to come out with and present plans for discussion at public meetings that cost the school ystem money plus individuals attending who had to drive all the way to Westfield. Some took off early from work paid baby sitters bought take out to fed themselves and their families. Herndon rented a bus - hope that is out of their pockets.

Date: December 15, 2007 08:29PM

Spleen Wrote:
> You're a man?
> We can all be thankful for that.

Damn right.

Posted by: An Unconcerned Parent ()
Date: December 15, 2007 08:45PM

Couldn't resist adding this editorial from the Examiner.

Editorial: Junk the Fairfax school redistricting plan

The Washington DC Examiner Newspaper , DC Editorial
Dec 14, 2007 3:00 AM by The Washington DC Examiner Newspaper

WASHINGTON (Map, News) - Hmmm, it seems Fairfax County Public School (FCPS) officials are a tad defensive these days. How else to explain their decision to have the cops remove county resident Bruce Bennett out of the “town hall meeting” he was videotaping, a clearly legal activity under Virginia law? Bennett was among the estimated 2,000 mad-as-hornets Fairfax County parents who swarmed a Dec. 3 meeting demanding a moratorium on a controversial school redistricting plan. That plan is designed to fill 700 empty desks at Reston’s South Lakes High School by changing its geographic boundaries. We understand why these parents are upset, but instead of demanding a moratorium that won’t fix a seriously flawed process, it makes more sense to junk it and start over.

Fairfax education officials were already practicing Russian-style democracy before Bennett got the heave-ho. Stung by criticism at a meeting right after the November election, FCPS required Dec. 3 attendees to submit questions in advance — before they saw the official presentation on the redistricting plan. And attending parents had to meet in small groups chaired by FCPS “facilitators.” Such clumsy attempts to suppress public opinion fuel suspicions that the major decisions were made before the Dec. 3 meeting.

School redistricting is traumatic under the best of circumstances and must be done with the highest degree of transparency. FCPS officials failed on both counts. Dean Tistadt, FCPS’s facilities and planning head, reportedly admitted that “strictly from a capacity and facility standpoint,” there was “no compelling reason for the boundary study” in the first place. Six high schools were covered by the Western Boundary study used to justify the redistricting plan. Those six schools have irregular boundaries that look like artificial, politically gerrymandered constructs, which is exactly what they are. Most striking is the so-called “Madison Island” enclave, directly north of the Dulles Access Road. Students there attend Madison High School in Vienna, despite its being almost completely engulfed by the South Lakes district. They are also much closer geographically to the Reston school. Also, why does the boundary study exclude Madison and Langley High School in McLean, both of which are overcrowded and directly adjacent to the underenrolled South Lakes?

School officials are trying to force boundary changes on communities that have already been redistricted five times in nine years. One mother told The Examiner that her three daughters will have diplomas from three different high schools, even though the family hasn’t moved since 1991. It’s time for a new approach. As for Bennett, school board Chairman Daniel Storck owes him an official apology. The Examiner has asked Storck when that apology will be made.
__

Isn't great to live in a democracy?

Date: December 15, 2007 08:54PM

Margie Wrote:
> BIRDLOVER...THANK-YOU FOR SHARING THIS
> INFORMATION...

Thanks Margie, you are a very kind woman. Don't take BerdLover too seriously, though. She's only jealous, because:

1. BerdLover doesn't have MY children
2. BerdLover doesn't have MY freedom from material possessions
3. BerdLover doesn't get enough attention from moi
4. BerdLover is imprisoned in the fantasy world of "conservatives and liberals"
5. BerdLover cannot seem of offer any constructive ideas in this forum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2007 09:08PM by Berdhuis.

Date: December 15, 2007 09:02PM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 03:53PM by Margie.

Posted by: margie/meeper/birdhuis ()
Date: December 15, 2007 09:10PM

Attachments:
monuments2.jpg

Date: December 15, 2007 09:28PM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 03:52PM by Margie.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 15, 2007 09:29PM

lol. this thread is finally getting on track.

Date: December 15, 2007 09:29PM

>>I cannot believe that this boundary shift is going to move forward based on the overwhelming public outcry for no changes<<<

Why would the School board care about that? SL PTA loves this new option and Stu does too. No one else needs to concern themselves about their choices.

Move along now. It's over.

Sorry. :(

Date: December 15, 2007 09:42PM

>>>>We will motivate, inspire, and raise up
> around us as many people as possible to build a
> better school. You will get to know us VERY well.
>
> =^) <<<

Doesn't this just warm your heart? An unemployed, single father of three, is going to devote himself to raising South Lakes from the ashes. That is just so darn touching. It's wonderful to see a single parent with that much time available, and that much dedication to a cause. Work can wait! We're on a mission!

We just have to hope that his kids can get jobs to keep them going while he's busy motivating and inspiring the masses, raising them up to make South Lakes the best it can be, gosh darn it! He'll have that whole school singing and dancing in no time!

Love his cute little face thingie too. I love it when men get in touch with their cutesy side.

Date: December 15, 2007 09:52PM

" BET YOUR CHILDREN ARE REAL PROUD OF THIS!
A GREAT "POSITIVE ROLE MODEL".

One can only hope.

Date: December 15, 2007 10:01PM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 03:52PM by Margie.

Date: December 15, 2007 10:21PM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 03:51PM by Margie.

Date: December 15, 2007 10:30PM

Neen Wrote:

> He'll have that whole school singing and dancing
> in no time!

Damn right.
Attachments:
JR.jpg

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: December 15, 2007 10:32PM

...this is the thread that will not end.... it just goes on and on my friend..... some people started posting to it, not knowing what it was..... and they will continue posting to it forever just because...

Posted by: Diversity ()
Date: December 15, 2007 10:49PM

Diversity is good.... sometimes!

Liberal hippies note: This picture isn't advocating violence against people. Please don't throw Columbine or Virginia Tech in anyone's faces (again).
Attachments:
guns.jpg

Date: December 15, 2007 10:51PM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 03:50PM by Margie.

Posted by: Margie. ()
Date: December 15, 2007 11:05PM

To myself.

Stop using caps. It makes me look stupid.

Date: December 15, 2007 11:20PM

Larry Hagman sings and dances?

Who knew?

Date: December 15, 2007 11:22PM

Margie,
Do you have kids?

Pssstttt..........Tomorrow is Sunday.

Date: December 15, 2007 11:24PM

>>>IT'S GREAT!!!!I WISH MORE PARENTS PUT THIER CHILDREN BEFORE MATERIAL POSSESSIONS!!!<<<

EVERY parent cares more about their children than anything else. duh.

Date: December 15, 2007 11:30PM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 03:49PM by Margie.

Date: December 15, 2007 11:39PM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 04:01PM by Margie.

Posted by: Satellites ()
Date: December 16, 2007 12:02AM

CHINA TO MARGIE:

We all heard you, loud and clear.

Date: December 16, 2007 12:05AM

INDIA TO MARGIE:

WE HEARD YOU HERE ,TOO

Date: December 16, 2007 12:09AM

MADAGASCAR TO MARGIE:

WE'RE GETTING YOUR SIGNAL. BIT FUZZY BUT WE GET IT!!

Date: December 16, 2007 12:19AM

Belfast, Ireland

Hey, Margie... Keep those limey bastards in line, will ya, love.

Date: December 16, 2007 12:20AM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 04:01PM by Margie.

Date: December 16, 2007 12:25AM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 04:02PM by Margie.

Date: December 16, 2007 12:35AM

We, Irish, are a quiet, peace loving people. We would never use caps to make a point. We NEVER lose our tempers.

Date: December 16, 2007 12:48AM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 04:02PM by Margie.

Posted by: GOD ()
Date: December 16, 2007 01:03AM

Ah, Margie..... Sister Megan is here to put you to bed. Goodnight now.....say three Hail Marys...and one Our Father.

Posted by: wth??? ()
Date: December 16, 2007 01:41AM

look, all u who are trash talking about south lakes, why don't you take a day off ur busy schedules and go visit the school? just please, cut the "i'm scared for my kid's education" and ...........we know where this is going: diversity and racism. people aren't always going to think like you (i know it's a sad fact) but LIVE WITH IT.. DIVERSITY RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted by: KIDS , Listen UP ()
Date: December 16, 2007 01:41AM

Remember....liberals will never protect you. Make sure you are armed. The next time one of them opens fire, take him out.

Posted by: wth???????? ()
Date: December 16, 2007 01:46AM

South Lakes IB kids. Just getting high.

Posted by: KIDS , Listen Up ()
Date: December 16, 2007 02:01AM

KIDS

If you are a female, learn how to use a gun.

Posted by: KIDS, Listen Up ()
Date: December 16, 2007 02:06AM

KIDS......no liberal will ever come runnng to your rescue.

Posted by: GottaLoveMargie ()
Date: December 16, 2007 08:00AM

Marge, What a great sense of humor! You really know how to get a laugh, I love it. Keep it coming.

Posted by: Johm ()
Date: December 16, 2007 08:05AM

It appears that the School board is formulating their redistricting plan based on economic backgrounds and ethnicity of certain people. Their latest proposal will affect mainly people living in apartment complexes, town-homes and small single family homes. However, there are many rich neighborhoods that are very close to South Lakes high school, but they are not targeted by this School Board. Should not we all have the same rights irrespective of our incomes and ethnicity? If this is true under our constitution, why is the Board targeting only areas that are less affluent or mainly populated by immigrants. I am hoping to get the attention of one true investigative journalist, who will get to the bottom of this unfair practice. It will not take much investigative work to realize that there may be other motives behind this unfair practice. There are a lot of rumors and I have no idea if they are true or false but it needs to be investigated by independent agencies and journalists.

Posted by: John Anderjaska ()
Date: December 16, 2007 08:07AM

It appears that the School board is formulating their redistricting plan based on economic backgrounds and ethnicity of certain people. Their final proposal will affect mainly people living in apartment complexes, town-homes and small single family homes. However, there are many rich neighborhoods that are very close to South Lakes high school, but they are not targeted by this School Board. Should not we all have the same rights irrespective of our incomes and ethnicity? If this is true under our constitution, why is the Board targeting only areas that are less affluent or mainly populated by immigrants. I am hoping to get the attention of one true investigative journalist, who will get to the bottom of this unfair practice. It will not take much investigative work to realize that there may be other motives behind this unfair practice. There are a lot of rumors and I have no idea if they are true or false but it needs to be investigated by independent agencies and journalists.

Date: December 16, 2007 08:11AM

Johm..Can't you see,Noone cares about that anymore, we have moved onto better things. Get over it and keep up with the rest of us!!!

Posted by: Zinni ()
Date: December 16, 2007 08:24AM

KIDS, Listen Up Wrote:
> KIDS......no liberal will ever come runnng to your
> rescue.

Call front-line heroes/stand-up guys like Cheney, Bushie, Wolfie, and Rummy, and Feith, and Rove....they'll send someone to help you.

Date: December 16, 2007 08:29AM

John, Repeating yourself won't help. As Margie would put it "NOONE CARES ABOUT THAT ANYMORE". The high school redistricting issue is over. Get a life or go find someone that cares.

Posted by: Sharon ()
Date: December 16, 2007 08:47AM

GottaLoveMargie Wrote:
> John, Repeating yourself won't help. As Margie
> would put it "NOONE CARES ABOUT THAT ANYMORE".
> The high school redistricting issue is over. Get a
> life or go find someone that cares.

John,

What you wrote bears repeating. Dont let the fascists on this board tell you what you cannot think or say. I bet these cowards would never tell you the same
to your face.
You go John.

Date: December 16, 2007 09:12AM

John Anderjaska Wrote:
> It appears that the School board is formulating
> their redistricting plan based on economic
> backgrounds and ethnicity of certain people. Their
> final proposal will affect mainly people living in
> apartment complexes, town-homes and small single
> family homes. However, there are many rich
> neighborhoods that are very close to South Lakes
> high school, but they are not targeted by this
> School Board. Should not we all have the same
> rights irrespective of our incomes and ethnicity?
> If this is true under our constitution, why is the
> Board targeting only areas that are less affluent
> or mainly populated by immigrants. I am hoping to
> get the attention of one true investigative
> journalist, who will get to the bottom of this
> unfair practice. It will not take much
> investigative work to realize that there may be
> other motives behind this unfair practice. There
> are a lot of rumors and I have no idea if they are
> true or false but it needs to be investigated by
> independent agencies and journalists.

You are correct. I believe in using facilities but I do not believe in some areas having multiple changes [ie Floris] while others have none for 10, 15, 20 years! That is simply poor planning on the part of FCPS -- staff??? no. Board??? yes.

IMHO Tisdadt has as much as said his dept can't do their job and it's in the paws of the School Board. Why have the meetings?

No one really believes Tisdadt and anyone in Chevalier's job are allowed to do their jobs. Anybody think they like running busses to Langley or Oakton from 10 plus miles away? The CIP doesn't have "potential boundary change" stuff for some schools even when people know darn well there could be changes/dominoes.

The US Justice Dept is possible the entity that ultimately deals with situations where a school division does not assign residences based on proximity to homes due to race. Stu G works there - perhaps some of the mess here is due to the proximity to DC [more VIP's get in the mix than in Loudoun - more like a regular county ]. Besides the Justice Dept what if a case on education ever wound it's way up to the Supremes? Don't some live in FXC?

There's a good blog -Restonian. It has a section on low and highs for Reston real estate on the market. A low had to be a cash sale [mold?] . I checked the FCPS boundary site - low at South Lakes - high at Langley.

Date: December 16, 2007 09:15AM

Great news John! Sharon still cares. How about you post your phone number,so you and Sharon can commiserate together.

Date: December 16, 2007 09:49AM

Comment removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2008 04:03PM by Margie.

Posted by: Stu G ()
Date: December 16, 2007 09:52AM

To all Fairfax County Taxpayers,

You voted me in, remember? I know it may appear I have numerous conflict of interests concerns....but who cares..I have the power.

And I work for the Department of Justice, so, I've got great backing! I think I can keep them out of the EEOC issues. And, once the redistricting goes through....since I live in Reston, my property value will soar and you'll all see me driving around in a brand new Mercedes-Benz S550! I've had my eye on that one for a while!

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Date: December 16, 2007 10:41AM

let's play guess the elementary and high school for what you see on the link

http://www.restonpaths.com/GreatFallsCrossing/index.htm

once there - go on the pictorial tour.

Posted by: Winston ()
Date: December 16, 2007 11:24AM

My guess is the only political clout that the East Floris/Fox Mill lobby has is to turn the pressure up on the Langley/Strauss deal and proximity of 1/2 distance to Herndon High of the Langley elemenary border combined with Aldridge/Aldrin (sp?) located in Reston.

As is, scenario 5 will not change unless attention can be diverted to the north, which one could make a reasonable argument as to why they should go.

Posted by: Sharon ()
Date: December 16, 2007 11:38AM

GottaLoveMargie Wrote:
> Great news John! Sharon still cares. How about you
> post your phone number,so you and Sharon can
> commiserate together.

I am shocked that you can spell commiserate. Really!

Date: December 16, 2007 12:52PM

The Washington DC Examiner Newspaper , DC Editorial
Dec 14, 2007 3:00 AM by The Washington DC Examiner Newspaper

WASHINGTON (Map, News) - Hmmm, it seems Fairfax County Public School (FCPS) officials are a tad defensive these days. How else to explain their decision to have the cops remove county resident Bruce Bennett out of the “town hall meeting” he was videotaping, a clearly legal activity under Virginia law? Bennett was among the estimated 2,000 mad-as-hornets Fairfax County parents who swarmed a Dec. 3 meeting demanding a moratorium on a controversial school redistricting plan. That plan is designed to fill 700 empty desks at Reston’s South Lakes High School by changing its geographic boundaries. We understand why these parents are upset, but instead of demanding a moratorium that won’t fix a seriously flawed process, it makes more sense to junk it and start over.
Fairfax education officials were already practicing Russian-style democracy before Bennett got the heave-ho. Stung by criticism at a meeting right after the November election, FCPS required Dec. 3 attendees to submit questions in advance — before they saw the official presentation on the redistricting plan. And attending parents had to meet in small groups chaired by FCPS “facilitators.” Such clumsy attempts to suppress public opinion fuel suspicions that the major decisions were made before the Dec. 3 meeting…………………………
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I salute Bruce Bennett…..

The Westfield County “town meeting“ was a charade, a waste of our tax dollars, and a thorough waste of our time. Obviously, the School Board is proceeding forward with its redistricting plan come hell or high water. I now accept the reality the Board has no accountability to Fairfax County Citizens. It has bent over backwards to accommodate the South Lakes PTSA community.
The 55 million dollar renovation has made South Lakes High School one of the best equipped schools in the County. …

The only remaining problem….it needed 700 “ADVANTAGED” children. And, nevermind about that little matter regarding the Langley High School addition fraud. I'm
certain if any law were broken, surely an investigation would have been initiated by now, right?

Date: December 16, 2007 04:39PM

>>>>IMHO Tisdadt has as much as said his dept can't do their job and it's in the paws of the School Board. Why have the meetings?<<<

I have asked that question to the staff. Of course I got no response. The meetings are supposed to make the community think that they have some input. It didn't work this time because too much information is readily available online and people are too smart to fall for this charade.

Dean Tisdadt is limited by what the school board dictates. He has the meetings because the school board tells him to have the meetings. He can't expand the scope of the 'study' because the school board sets the parameters.

I suppose staff and school board think the public would be even more angry if they simply adopted the SL PTA scenario 5 in the beginning, and skipped all the community meetings. I am not sure they are correct since the public knows the end result is the same and the public resents being jerked around like this.

Date: December 16, 2007 04:41PM

>>>>I salute Bruce Bennett….. <<<<

I do too. It's disgusting that our school board has resorted to such gestapo tactics against a citizen in a PUBLIC building who was breaking NO law. It only proves, once again, how little they value public discourse and free speech of citizens.

This is downright frightening.

Date: December 16, 2007 04:43PM

Winston Wrote:
> My guess is the only political clout that the East
> Floris/Fox Mill lobby has is to turn the pressure
> up on the Langley/Strauss deal and proximity of
> 1/2 distance to Herndon High of the Langley
> elemenary border combined with Aldridge/Aldrin
> (sp?) located in Reston.
>
> As is, scenario 5 will not change unless attention
> can be diverted to the north, which one could make
> a reasonable argument as to why they should go.

That won't work as the school board has made it clear that no one in Langley can be touched, ever. It's a one way valve, students can go INTO Langley, they can never be taken OUT of Langley.

Date: December 16, 2007 04:45PM

taxpayer Wrote:
> let's play guess the elementary and high school
> for what you see on the link
>
> http://www.restonpaths.com/GreatFallsCrossing/inde
> x.htm
>
> once there - go on the pictorial tour.

Ok, I give up. What are we seeing?

Posted by: SLHS Padre ()
Date: December 16, 2007 06:44PM

Neen Wrote:
> taxpayer Wrote:
> -----
> > let's play guess the elementary and high school
> > for what you see on the link
> >
> >
>
> > x.htm
> >
> > once there - go on the pictorial tour.
>
> Ok, I give up. What are we seeing?

The light, at long last.

Date: December 16, 2007 06:45PM

Neen Wrote:
> taxpayer Wrote:
> -----
> > let's play guess the elementary and high school
> > for what you see on the link
> >
> >
>
> > x.htm
> >
> > once there - go on the pictorial tour.
>
> Ok, I give up. What are we seeing?

A nice area on the same side of Baron Cameron bounded by Rt 7 and Wiehle. School attendance areas =Forest Edge AND Aldrin. Nice paths for walking and you don't even cross a big street.

Posted by: Seahawk12 ()
Date: December 16, 2007 06:46PM

I am a graduate of South Lakes High, I am currently attending a Military College and carrying out the plans for my life that I have had since I was a little girl. I thank South Lakes and the opportunties that it gave me. And to get me to where I am today.

South Lakes High was a wonderful 4 year experience one that I would never trade. It gave me all it had to offer, I feel that I graduated knowing everything that South Lakes could have given me from an academic and street-smart manner.

A major issue to some people is the diversity. But because South Lakes population is so diverse it has allowed me to come acustom to working with people of a different race. Which seems to be one our our societies faults. People are extremely racist. South Lakes has helped thousands of students get over that barrier of color or religion. We (the students/alumni) understand a wide variety of cultures and thier differences. I did not really relize it was that big of a deal until I was outside of the Reston area. It definetly makes for a better working enviroment later on in life.

To the parents that are hesitant about the redistricting:

You are lucky to have you child go to any of the FCPS schools. Every school has its downfalls. South Lakes is a smart choice for any parent. I know I would let my child go to SL if I remian in Reston.

Date: December 16, 2007 08:00PM

>>>South Lakes is a smart choice for any parent.<<<

I'm sure there are many parents who would agree with you but also many who like the schools in their district. Choice, ya know? Choice is nice.

Please, don't speak for our whole society just because you have known many racist people. (I am assuming that you mean our SOCIETY'S fault, singular possessive, rather than societies fault, plural SOCIETIES, not just our society.) Perhaps that was true in your environment in Reston, or in your family, but MOST people in America are NOT like that. Surely you've found that to be true now that you are in a different environment away at college. MOST people don't pay a bit of attention to anyone's color. Everyone in NOVA works with people of many races and from multiple countries. Everyone goes to high school with those students too. It's nothing unique to South Lakes. I am sorry that you grew up thinking that so many people are racists. That's a shame. Glad you are out of that environment!

>>>I am currently attending a Military College and carrying out the plans for my life that I have had since I was a little girl.<<<<

You wanted to be a soldier since you were a little girl? That's fairly unusual, isn't it? I wanted to be a ballerina, or a Princess.

Anyway, I am happy for you that you are living out your dreams and have learned that most people in America are NOT racists, despite what you learned growing up.

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: December 16, 2007 09:31PM

Most people in America are racist. They just don't realize it becuase it is not overt. Sorry to burst your bubble. Look it up in some sociology journals.

Date: December 16, 2007 10:22PM

Sociology journals?! hahahahahaha..........

Posted by: YaYaMaMa ()
Date: December 16, 2007 10:26PM

Seahawk12 Wrote:
> I am a graduate of South Lakes High,
> A major issue to some people is the diversity. But
> because South Lakes population is so diverse it
> has allowed me to come acustom to working with
> people of a different race.

Define diversity. Which race is the same and which is different?

Usually, when people say "diverse" they mean not checking the box that says white on government forms. So the lower the percentage of white people in a school, the more diverse the school is. Is this how you see it?

Have you looked at the demographics of the other schools? If not, where is the diversity judgement coming from?

Here you are from fcps.edu (in no particular order):

School % white
South Lakes 45%
Westfield 60%
Oakton 67%
Herndon 57%
Chantilly 62%
Madison 74%
Langley 73%

Elementary Schools donating advantaged children
Fox Mill 62%
Floris 46%

What meaning to draw from these numbers? I don't know. What does it mean to South Lakes?

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: December 16, 2007 10:34PM

Those from Fox Mill opposed to transferring South Lakes might want to consider proposing the following:

The most susceptable aspect of the Alternative Option is that it substantially overenrolls South Lakes High School.

It’s not immediately obvious since the 2012 enrollment is projected to be 2056 and capacity is 2100.

But this projection ignores the the evaluations the FCPS staff has already made of the various developments in the pipeline for construction in Reston Town Center and elsewhere in Reston.

According to the memoranda prepared by FCPS staff for use by the Planning Commission and the Board of Supervisors in the consideration of those land use applications, 4251 new multi-family dwelling units will be built on either side of the Toll Road plus 154 new single family houses in the Madison Island.

Thus, based on FCPS’s own methodology, SL will have an enrollment of 2200-2380, i.e. an overenrollment of 100-280.

The proponents of the Alternate Option (aka Option 5) will make much of a recent trend at SL in which the number of students at South Lakes each year is 50-70 less than might be expected based on enrollment at SL feeder elementary schools. No one has produced a verifiable explanation for this recent shortfall in yield. Without that explanation, it is impossible to assume that this recent trend will continue.

A tweak that serve purposes of those at Fox Mill who oppose attending South Lakes would have:

Madison Island and East Floris goes to South Lakes, as currently proposed by the Alternative Option with Aldrin.

McNair (but not Coopermine) goes to Herndon

Fox Mill stays at Oakton, Navy stays at Chantilly.

Westfield’s enrollment is reduce by 550.

The numbers work for total enrollment and FRL at each school.

Call it anything you want: Option Omega, Option 6.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2007 10:37PM by Thomas More.

Date: December 16, 2007 10:47PM

Thomas More Wrote:
-
>
> Madison Island and East Floris goes to South
> Lakes, as currently proposed by the Alternative
> Option with Aldrin.
>

Wow. Score again for the South Lakes Predators!

Did you know that there is no such school as East Floris? And no such thing as West Floris? There is one elementary school named Floris.

Posted by: Noislands ()
Date: December 16, 2007 10:47PM

Wouldn't this make East Floris an Island?

Date: December 16, 2007 10:58PM

Noislands Wrote:
> Wouldn't this make East Floris an Island?

As shown on the Alternative Option map, East Floris abuts Dogwood's attendance area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2007 10:58PM by Thomas More.

Date: December 16, 2007 11:06PM

YaYaMaMa Wrote:
> Did you know that there is no such school as East
> Floris? And no such thing as West Floris? There
> is one elementary school named Floris.

Ma'am I'm just trying to communicate that the same portion of Floris which Alternative Option proposes to send to SL would also go there under Option 6.

Part of Floris is likely to be shifted to Coopermine when it opens. The balance has been referenced on this fourm as "East Floris." It is a term of art for ease of communication.

Given the connotation associated with "predator" and "children", if you use that term to refer to me ever again, I can and will subpoena your identity from the operator of this forum and sue you for defamation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2007 11:12PM by Thomas More.

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: December 16, 2007 11:08PM

Neen Wrote:
> Sociology journals?! hahahahahaha..........

Yes. Sociology Journals. You know...the place where acedemics with doctorate degrees in the subject publish their research. Or do they not tell you that in AP...

Date: December 16, 2007 11:18PM

YaYaMaMa Wrote:

> Wow. Score again for the South Lakes

On the other hand, if you want to refer to the redistricting process as the "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers", I'm perfectly fine with that.

Date: December 17, 2007 02:19AM

nocomment Wrote:
> Neen Wrote:
> -----
> > Sociology journals?! hahahahahaha..........
>
>
> Yes. Sociology Journals. You know...the place
> where acedemics with doctorate degrees in the
> subject publish their research. Or do they not
> tell you that in AP...

You mean people with degrees in useless, silly, subjects like sociology? Or feminist studies? Not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed.

Date: December 17, 2007 06:53AM

Thomas More Wrote:
> YaYaMaMa Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Wow. Score again for the South Lakes
>
> On the other hand, if you want to refer to the
> redistricting process as the "Invasion of the
> Bodysnatchers", I'm perfectly fine with that.

Deal.

Pages: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 189

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.