HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...23456789101112AllNext
Current Page: 7 of 12
Re: Ghosts/hauntings in around Fairfax County
Posted by: anne ()
Date: August 06, 2013 08:47AM

My friend and I were sitting in my sisters room on a blow up mattress because we had just been moving in. I was talking to my friend saying there might be a ghost in my house I said I wasn't really afraid of the ghosts except....
Then the door slammed shut then I said ''that'' (''that'' being the door slamming and a possibility we couldn't get out) I quikly grabbed the back of her shirt. Then I started talking to the ghost saying things like ''hello'' and ''who are you'' then the door knob turned and opened said lets get out of here and we left.

And before she came over my stepdad went upstairs and walked by the attic and noticed the door was open and the lights are on he came back downstairs
and asked if me or my sister turned the lights on and opened the door we said no and he said ''well we might have a ghost in our house.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: churut-faktor ()
Date: August 06, 2013 04:10PM

Fairfax is really a good place to do paranormal and abnormal research, the best thing about fairfax is that you don't have to wait until night to start your research, even you can do it during 12 pm noon. This whole fucking place is goddamn haunted and even living people look like ghosts during the day.

good luck with your research !!

Posted by: Barry Odell Mountain Ridge ()
Date: August 06, 2013 04:14PM

Our group was in the mountains of Hiwassee checking out a story of a man that was hanged a long time ago. We were shooting video and caught a Confederate soldier, tried to debunk it several times couldn't.

Hiwassee is one awesome place to experience the paranormal.

Posted by: Pittstown road ()
Date: August 07, 2013 07:07AM

I live in a mobile home right next to a hill on Pittstown road. The other night I heard some noises
and I looked out and saw that the whole hill was up in flames. There was a huge fire right behind my
home so I scrambled for my phone to call 911.

It took me a few seconds to find the phone and when I found it I glanced outside again before making
the call and saw that there was no fire at all. I was very confused and went outside to look. I saw no
trace of a fire.

I hiked up on the hill and when I got about halfway up I felt this intense heat hit me in the face and
heard screams but no fire in sight. I ran back home. There must have been a big fire on that hill some
time in the past that has left a haunting behind.

Posted by: Evan ()
Date: August 08, 2013 05:02AM

My dad has seen on Sumerduck Road the last small bridge before 17 or the first bridge from 17 a girl with a big gown walking on or to the side of the road late at night. Well last night around 10:00 when I was in the car about halfway across the bridge in the fog I could see a girl like figure taking a step from one side of the road to another then vanish, it was very strange.

Boogie Lights
Posted by: Sharyn ()
Date: August 09, 2013 04:37AM

I grew up and went to school in Richmond, VA graduating in 1964. Most everyone in school had heard about the West Point Boogie Lights as we called them. One night a few of us got together and went to West Point to check it out. After sitting quietly for a while the light appeared and moved up and down the tracks. At that time (prior 1964) there would be quite a few cars present and only when things were quiet would the light appear, like a lantern moving back and forth on the tracks.

It was also told that someone had hanged themselves from a tree near where the cars would park and there was a rope hanging there but I never heard the story about that, nor saw anything unusual concerning it. People have contributed the Boogie Light to swamp gas gathered on the tracks but if you have seen it you would say it was not anything gaseous but a direct light, like from a lantern.

Posted by: grace ()
Date: August 09, 2013 08:29AM

I was sitting in the living at my house in Toms Brook on Hahns Lane and I was on the laptop looking something up when from my right ear
I heard someone say ''I'm sorry'' coming from the hallway. It sounded like an older gentleman's voice but not so deep as you would expect
from an older gentleman. It didn't sound angry... Just sad.

I walked down my hallway and asked ''Anybody here?''.... No answer. Now I believe in ghosts but I prefer to have confirmation if my hearing
or eyes are playing tricks on me by asking a friend who can see them for some confirmation.

I asked a friend if what I was hearing was all in my head. They replied ''Oh, so you've met him! :D'' .... I was like ''O_O what?''...
Apparently, he's attached to the land. I can't blame him. Shenandoah Valley is a beautiful place once you appreciate the nature in it,
what the mountains can do, and the history that lies between the mountains. My question still to this day is why he told me he was sorry.
I wish I knew. Wish I could simply sit down with him like a living person and ask him why he said he was sorry and I want to hear his
story. I know I would like to hear it and I know it would help him. :)

Posted by: LGR ()
Date: August 11, 2013 11:25AM

When I was a young girl I was playing at my friend's house next door. When I returned home my parents had left a note that they all left me and went to the movies. I was home alone. I heard something upstairs and my first thought was that my brother was at home.

I had three brothers and two of their bedrooms was in the attic. I ran up the stairs to talk to him and turned around to see his mattress being shaken as if you were shaking out a sheet. It was jumping in the air!! I screamed to the top of my lungs and ran down the stairs and out the door and sat until my mom and brothers came home!

Posted by: Historic Huntley ()
Date: August 11, 2013 02:22PM

Historic Huntley
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/huntley-meadows-park/historic-huntley.htm

The house that was built for Thomson Francis Mason, is now open to the public. Thomson Francis Mason was the mayor of Alexandria, D.C. from 1827-30 and a grandson of George Mason, author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights. He used the federal period villa, which was built for him in 1825, as a summer retreat.

The 19th century architectural gem is located at 6918 Harrison Lane in Alexandria, near the main entrance to Huntley Meadows Park . Historic Huntley is on the National Register of Historic Places, the Virginia Landmarks Register and the Fairfax County Inventory of Historic Sites. Since the Park Authority obtained the house and its surrounding 2.5 acres in 1989, it had been open only during semiannual events and for school and scout tours until undergoing recent renovation. Now the buildings are open for scheduled programs and tours, as well as Saturday tours between the months of April through October.

Over the years, Historic Huntley was used as a summer retreat, grain farm, encampment for the troops of the 3rd Michigan Infantry during the Civil War, and eventually converted to a dairy farm. It changed ownership several times, and in later years, after being abandoned, it suffered considerable vandalism.

The renovation got a boost from a $100,000 grant from the National Park Service's Save America's Treasures program, created by NPS to preserve significant historic properties and collections. The grant helped fund the site's extensive structural restoration work. Additionally, through two Park Bond programs, the Park Authority provided several million dollars towards preservation and redevelopment of the site.

In the coming years the staff of Huntley Meadows Park will expand the historical and cultural program offerings at the house. Efforts are also underway to install exterior interpretive signs. Finally, thanks to the passage of the Park Bond during the 2012 election, monies have been set aside to preserve and restore the Tenant House
Attachments:
image6.jpg

Posted by: SalJebson ()
Date: August 11, 2013 02:47PM

Sorry guys, my story may not be as conclusive as a lot of the earlier ones but I just thought maybe someone here would have some answers or similar experiences:

It started when my brother asked me to house-sit for him when he was out of town, he lived near Lake Accotink Park in Springfield (VA). He recently bought the house (4 months prior) and I hadn't had the chance to see it before. It was supposed to be a nice house on a decent sized parcel of land (about 3 acres).

I came straight from work after a long day and got there around 7:30 PM with my suitcase of stuff and McDonald's dinner in tow. The house looked creepy from the outside while I sat in the car and ate my now semi-cold food. It was a 2 story house with 3 bedrooms, 2 larger bedrooms upstairs and one bedroom downstairs along with the kitchen and everything else. As I was sitting there looking at the house, I swear I could see the light from the side window of the house coming on and off. I didn't think too much of it because it was an old house and maybe that light just had some faulty wiring.

As I get inside, I sit down and burn two hours playing Candy Crush and at this point, its about 10 PM and dark outside. I start to unpack my things into the dresser they had in the guestroom on the main level when I hear someone walking around upstairs. At first, I am paralyzed but then I think maybe it's a trespasser, my brother has had to chase away vagrants that would stay in the small tree grove he had on the backside of his property when he first moved in. I grabbed a sharp knife from the kitchen and went upstairs.

As I go upstairs, I see someone or something in white quickly walk into the second bedroom from the corner of my eye. Thinking it was an intruder still, I darted after it. As I entered the room, my eyes immediately went to the far side window where there was a woman dressed in early 1900s dress. I froze because she was almost translucent. Then she turned around and to this day, I swear I saw no eyes in her sockets, I could see her mouthing words but there were no sounds coming out. Then there was only one thing that came to my mind, this ghost bitch is getting raped. Little did this phantasmal whore know I just got out 3 years ago from a 10 year prison stint for raping my then wife. In fact, I just came home from a construction job that hired ex-felons. I worked for a guy that was so dumb and made so much more money than me, all I could think of the whole day was violence and lo, this clear-complexioned skank is giving me a free pass, she's even role playing. Long story short, I banged that evaporated bucket of cum for hours even fulfilling a eye-socket fantasy I had. I remember passing out and waking up in my bed the next morning. I came back the next day hoping to see her again but unfortunately, I haven't seen anything ever again. A few days later though, I felt guilty (as people who engage in my past time do) and wondered if I got her pregnant. I need to know if there's a piece of me in the great beyond? Maybe someone can help me and let me know if life carries over to the other side? Has someone had a similar experience?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Posted by: The Ghost of Dr. Ruth ()
Date: August 11, 2013 04:11PM

SalJebson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry guys, my story may not be as conclusive as a
> lot of the earlier ones but I just thought maybe
> someone here would have some answers or similar
> experiences:
>
> It started when my brother asked me to house-sit
> for him when he was out of town, he lived near
> Lake Accotink Park in Springfield (VA). He
> recently bought the house (4 months prior) and I
> hadn't had the chance to see it before. It was
> supposed to be a nice house on a decent sized
> parcel of land (about 3 acres).
>
> I came straight from work after a long day and got
> there around 7:30 PM with my suitcase of stuff and
> McDonald's dinner in tow. The house looked creepy
> from the outside while I sat in the car and ate my
> now semi-cold food. It was a 2 story house with 3
> bedrooms, 2 larger bedrooms upstairs and one
> bedroom downstairs along with the kitchen and
> everything else. As I was sitting there looking
> at the house, I swear I could see the light from
> the side window of the house coming on and off. I
> didn't think too much of it because it was an old
> house and maybe that light just had some faulty
> wiring.
>
> As I get inside, I sit down and burn two hours
> playing Candy Crush and at this point, its about
> 10 PM and dark outside. I start to unpack my
> things into the dresser they had in the guestroom
> on the main level when I hear someone walking
> around upstairs. At first, I am paralyzed but
> then I think maybe it's a trespasser, my brother
> has had to chase away vagrants that would stay in
> the small tree grove he had on the backside of his
> property when he first moved in. I grabbed a
> sharp knife from the kitchen and went upstairs.
>
> As I go upstairs, I see someone or something in
> white quickly walk into the second bedroom from
> the corner of my eye. Thinking it was an intruder
> still, I darted after it. As I entered the room,
> my eyes immediately went to the far side window
> where there was a woman dressed in early 1900s
> dress. I froze because she was almost
> translucent. Then she turned around and to this
> day, I swear I saw no eyes in her sockets, I could
> see her mouthing words but there were no sounds
> coming out. Then there was only one thing that
> came to my mind, this ghost bitch is getting
> raped. Little did this phantasmal whore know I
> just got out 3 years ago from a 10 year prison
> stint for raping my then wife. In fact, I just
> came home from a construction job that hired
> ex-felons. I worked for a guy that was so dumb
> and made so much more money than me, all I could
> think of the whole day was violence and lo, this
> clear-complexioned skank is giving me a free pass,
> she's even role playing. Long story short, I
> banged that evaporated bucket of cum for hours
> even fulfilling a eye-socket fantasy I had. I
> remember passing out and waking up in my bed the
> next morning. I came back the next day hoping to
> see her again but unfortunately, I haven't seen
> anything ever again. A few days later though, I
> felt guilty (as people who engage in my past time
> do) and wondered if I got her pregnant. I need to
> know if there's a piece of me in the great beyond?
> Maybe someone can help me and let me know if life
> carries over to the other side? Has someone had a
> similar experience?
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for
> reading.

I would suggest you read this book...
Attachments:
9780709089902 bigger.PNG

Walking tours explore D.C.'s darker side
Posted by: Ghostwalker ()
Date: August 12, 2013 07:56AM

Walking tours explore D.C.'s darker side
http://www.wtop.com/109/3417273/DCs-Darker-Side

WASHINGTON - Lafayette Square, behind the White House, plays host to a typically Washington bustle of high-powered staffers and tourists circulating through the park, heading to meetings and holding impromptu photo shoots among the statues.

But two walking-tour guides in the city feel darker resonances among the monuments.

Carolyn Crouch, of Washington Walks, runs various tours of the city, including the Most Haunted Washington tour; Carol Bessette, a retired Air Force intelligence officer, leads Spies of Washington tours, one of which centers on the square as well.

Crouch calls the haunted-Washington tour "one of our more popular ones." Bessette says her tours draw up to 20 people at a time. Both say the real appeal of a walking tour, for the audiences and the guides themselves, lies in the stories. And at two hours-plus for each tour, each guide tells dozens of fascinating tales.

"I want the American public to watch the evening news and put it in perspective," Bessette says. Crouch calls her tour "a nice combination of an entertaining evening walking through Lafayette Park, but when you go away, you've actually learned something that you hadn't known."

Both tours stop at the east end of the park, at what is now the U.S. Court of Claims. Crouch tells of Henry Adams and the ghost of his wife, Clover, who went unmentioned in Adams's memoirs and whose ghost would be seen in the nearby Hay-Adams House, rocking in a chair and sobbing. A copy of the Adams memorial is in the courtyard.

Meanwhile, Bessette talks about the attempt on the life of President Lincoln's Secretary of State, William Seward. He was living in what is now the courthouse on the night Lincoln was killed, and he was saved from a would-be assassin's knife by an upper-body cast he was wearing after a horse-and-carriage accident.
On the west side of the park, Crouch tells of Henry Rathbone, the Army officer who was staying at what is now 712 Jackson Place when he and his fiancee went to Ford's Theatre with the president and Mary Todd Lincoln. Rathbone's career and life fell apart afterward, and he eventually killed his wife in Germany and spent the rest of his life in an institution. His wife's spirit is said to haunt the Jackson Place site, and it was considered bad luck to walk past the building for many years.

And Bessette uses the west end to tell the story of a succession of Civil War spies, including Thomas Nelson Conrad, a Confederate sympathizer who would simply sit in the park, slowly reading a newspaper and listening to the young officers heading from one headquarters to another.

Rose Greenhow, another spy, used sexism in her favor - on both sides, women and blacks were thought not smart enough to serve as spies - to run a ring of female spies who felt their smuggled maps and documents were safe under their hoop skirts. She was put under house arrest, which merely inspired her to employ her daughter, who would act as a courier by not-so-inadvertently leaving a doll or a ball with a document in it in the park. The elder Greenhow eventually drowned on the way back from Europe, weighed down by $2,000 in gold coins for the Confederacy.

Crouch's tour also includes the Octagon - the building a few blocks from the square that President James Madison and First Lady Dolly Madison lived in after the White House was burned during the War of 1812, and the site of the signing of the Treaty of Ghent, which ended the war.

Crouch says the house was the subject of numerous ghost stories regarding the family of Col. John Tayloe, who built the house, mostly circulating around the four-story spiral staircase and any number of Tayloe daughters who supposedly plummeted from it during passionate arguments: "Sort of a succession of falling female bodies," Crouch says with a laugh.
None of the legends are true - none of the Tayloe children died in the house - but it didn't stop people from telling the stories about the house, which at the time, Crouch explains, was built at an eerie remove from the square, the "mover and shaker place" in Washington until the early 20th century.

Still, she says, some staffers of the American Institute of Architects, the current tenants, who don't want to be the last person left in the building at night.

Bessette uses the Post Office Plaza to tell the story of Michael Straight, a friend and confidant of Jacqueline Kennedy who fed information to the British spy ring known as the Cambridge Five before he headed the National Endowment for the Arts, first headquartered in the Post Office building. Her tour also stops by the FBI building to discuss Robert Hanssen, who fed information to the Soviets and Russians for more than 20 years before his arrest in 2001.

Both say that Washington is a fertile setting for the stories they tell.

"There's always been a certain amount of jockeying for power, tension, disagreements. ... And a ghost is someone who is not at rest, who has had a very troubled or even violent death, and they're not able to move on to where they need to move on to," Crouch says.

Bessette, who says she likes to explore what could lead someone to betray their country, simply says, "I could probably be para-dropped blindfold anyplace in downtown Washington, take the blindfold off and start telling spy stories."

A copy of the Henry Adams memorial sits in the courtyard of the U.S. Court of Claims in downton D.C. Adams' wife, Clover, went unmentioned in his memoirs and local lore says her ghost can be seen in the nearby Hay-Adams House, rocking in a chair and sobbing. The site is along one of several walking tours that feature the tragedy and intrigue of Washington's past. (WTOP/Rick Massimo)
Attachments:
303257.jpg

Walking tours explore D.C.'s darker side (Continued)
Date: August 12, 2013 07:57AM

Civil War spy Rose Greenhow. (Courtesy Carol Bessette)
Attachments:
303250.jpg

Posted by: susan/hunters woods ()
Date: August 12, 2013 08:48AM

Reston hunters woods area I have experienced many events over the years in my townhouse. I have had items disappear only to be found months later in the same spot they disappeared from. Lights blink for no reason appliances turn themselves on. My neighbor has had similar experiences at her home. I have seen a ghostly woman in wearing 19th century clothes and a young African American girl attired similarly. My cat would sit for hours just staring at the same spot.

Posted by: LBJ ()
Date: August 12, 2013 09:04AM

susan/hunters woods Wrote:
> Reston hunters woods area I have experienced many
> events over the years in my townhouse. I have had
> items disappear only to be found months later in
> the same spot they disappeared from. Lights blink
> for no reason appliances turn themselves on. My
> neighbor has had similar experiences at her home.
> I have seen a ghostly woman in wearing 19th
> century clothes and a young African American girl
> attired similarly. My cat would sit for hours just
> staring at the same spot.

I have also seen some pretty creepy things in that area, Deepwood neighborhood in particular....

Posted by: kindful ()
Date: August 12, 2013 06:36PM

no such thing as ghosts.

Date: August 12, 2013 09:07PM

kindful Wrote:
> no such thing as ghosts.

Then why are these ghost threads so long?

Posted by: Dawn ()
Date: August 16, 2013 08:07AM

I used to live in Aquia Harbour on Pinta Cove. My mother Jody has made comments on this site as well. Let me tell you.. We moved into a newly built home in the 90s and the weirdest things would happen and no one believed me.

I was an only child at the time. When I would fall asleep something would pet my head. Eventually I started to sleep with my head under the blanket and the covers clutched in my hand during the night only to wake up in the middle of the night freezing with the creepiest feeling in the room. My bed covers had been peeled off me and neatly laid on the floor below my bed. My sister was born soon after and my parents came home from a weekend vacation. My mom went upstairs to lay my sister down in her crib and her mobile started going around and playing music.

No one was in the house the entire weekend. Another time my sister was in her crib and my mom heard a man's voice singing a lullaby to her over the baby monitor. She said it was in a different language. She researched it and someone told her the Irish Brigade had been stationed in Aquia Harbor several hundred years ago. My brother's Matchbox car also floated in midair off the kitchen counter in front of everyone. I also used to have dreams about bodies buried under the basement. Maybe that's why there are no cemeteries. The houses were built on top of them.

Posted by: nothing ()
Date: August 19, 2013 02:12PM

I stay late at the J. J. Kelly High School (now called central), but I'm always in the auditoriums
sound booth. Me and the other lighting tech girl were operating lights when we heard crashing in the
catwalk above us.

Although no one was up there the crashing continued. The kids were rehearsing on stage and they heard
the noise too. Soon later we heard footsteps in the lobby. I walked out there to see nothing. Then in
the men's restroom in the lobby we heard everything being thrown around even though it was locked.

The students on stage saw the shadow of a male walk right behind the sound booth then dart towards the
stage! I know for a fact that this place is haunted.

Posted by: cbcorysgirl ()
Date: August 20, 2013 07:57AM

When I was in high school I dated a guy who lived on a very haunted farm, in Virginia. This farm was a multi-million dollar horse farm where they bred and trained show and race horses. There are a least ten barns on the farm, used for various reasons.

One of the barns held about 20 old antique carriages. These carriages are old and big to move them takes a crane. There are guards that worked for the farm that made nightly rounds around the farm to make sure everything was fine. No one could get in the gate without them knowing. The barn with carriages was used for tours; each carriage had a plaque explaining the history. One morning one of the guards went into the carriage barn. All of the carriages had been moved around and put in the wrong places. Needless to say the guard was very freaked out; it is not possible to move all the carriages in one night, and especially without anyone knowing.

The guards have also shared with me some of their scary experiences doing their rounds. One night we'll call him 'Buddy', was doing his rounds checking on all the barns... He noticed a light on in one of them that weren't supposed to be on. A light was on in the room where they have a TV and a microwave; there is a room like this in every barn. Buddy went into the barn and hung out for a minute watching TV, there was no one in the barn, and he would have seen them. He hung out for a little while and then left, he shut off all the lights and soon as he shut the door to the barn every light in the barn came on! Needless to say he ran for his truck and got out of there!

Posted by: t3h_h0bbitz ()
Date: August 20, 2013 04:52PM

What's the history of the farm? I don't blame "Buddy". I would have hightailed it out of there if al the lights came on!

Posted by: cbcorysgirl ()
Date: August 20, 2013 05:47PM

t3h_h0bbitz Wrote:
> What's the history of the farm? I don't blame
> "Buddy". I would have hightailed it out of there
> if al the lights came on!

I'm not quite sure of the history of the farm. Unfortunately, it is no longer a horse farm. It has been donated to a school, which makes me very unhappy (I'm not unhappy for the school, just bummed about the horses!) I'm not sure how many of the original barns are still there. I do know the main house and a few of the other houses have been around since the civil war. I also don't speak to my ex anymore, so I'm not sure I can give you any more information. I will try to do some more research on my own!

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: August 21, 2013 02:09AM

I once experienced an 'early arrival', although I'm still not sure what to make of it.

When I was in high school I was the only one of my friends with a pool, so we swam in it on many a balmy night. It was surrounded by a fence to keep out little kids, but my dad had inexpertly hung the main wooden gate. Turns out it weighed too much for the post holding it up, and it sagged onto the bolt that locked it closed. Opening it was a chore - you had to lift the gate (which made a loud creaking noise) while pulling the bolt back, which invariably slid suddenly and clacked open like minor gunshot. It was a distinctive series of noises you could easily hear from inside the house, so you could always tell when someone was headed for the pool.

One night Brad was running late and we all waited to abuse him roundly for, no doubt, touching himself and forgetting the time. We finally heard a car pull up on my street but were only really sure it was him when we heard his stupid flappy sandals coming down the driveway. Everyone started to say something to him and I got out of the pool as the gate lifted and the bolt clacked, but due to the placement of a floodlight, I couldn't see him till I got to the gate itself, maybe a second or two later. There was nobody there. I figured he was crouched down on the other side playing around so I looked over the gate - nothing. No only that, there was nobody in sight (which was impossible because there was nowhere to hide) and, even more odd, the gate was actually still bolted. I unbolted it and checked the street - no sign of Brad's car.

It would be a better ending to the story if Brad had been in an accident right about the time of the false arrival, but the truth is, nothing happened. He arrived about 15 minutes later while we were still discussing how we all heard the gate open and how it was absolutely impossible to fake this. We heard him flip-flip-flip down the driveway and we all stood silently as he opened the gate, and found us gawping at him.

I honestly don't know what happened here. There was no crisis, nothing weird about the house that I know about, and it never happened again. We all heard exactly the same thing at the same time, and at no more than 30 feet, even closer for me. Probably not ghost stuff, but bizarre.

Posted by: Buddy ()
Date: August 26, 2013 02:44PM

That's pretty intense

I mean, people can claim experiences and things that can be explained, but flat out breaking the laws of physics is pretty impressive.

Wish I could've been a fly on the wall!

Ghost video
Posted by: cori81 ()
Date: August 26, 2013 07:40PM

Our company has been located at our Richmond, Virginia office building for almost 15 years. For years (as long as we can remember), we've felt a "presence" in the office -- especially at night time. We heard all of the creepy sounds of someone walking around, the banging noises, etc. We've seen the lights flicker on and off, and someone thought they spotted an "orb". We've "felt" someone in the room before... Even had an experience where it felt like someone got "grabbed" from behind.

We have two doors on the front of our building. One we use as our main entrance. The other door we keep dead-bolted. It never gets unlocked.

On Sunday, December 2, 2012, I came into the office early to get some work done. I left around 11:30am, and received a phone call from my boss at 3:30pm. He told me he just came into the office and wanted to know why the door (that always stays dead bolted) was opened... Wide open. I told him I was over by that particular door (the coffeepot is next to it), but never touched the door. My boss did a perimeter run to make sure that no one had broken in (there was a break-in several months back), but he didn't see any signs of anything being taken, etc.

He then pulled up one of our cameras that we have angled at that door. Around 2:52pm, the dead bolted door did open... But not with anyone's help. We can't explain it. We've zoomed in and reviewed the video several times. This door opened... And there was no one there.

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zsf3qZTpOg&feature=g-upl

Posted by: Ghost in Centreville ()
Date: September 01, 2013 09:29AM

I live in Centreville and have had issues with unwelcome house guests of the spiritual kind. I moved in and gave birth to my first child and was spending a lot more time in the house after that. My husband and I always explained away happenings because we live in a townhouse.

Then our daughter would start following someone with her eyes and laugh at seeming nothing. It was fine until it attacked my husband, literally pushing him down the stairs. I have to cleanse my home 3 times a year.

Posted by: Casper Luver ()
Date: September 01, 2013 10:12AM

Ghost in Centreville Wrote:
> I live in Centreville and have had issues with
> unwelcome house guests of the spiritual kind. I
> moved in and gave birth to my first child and was
> spending a lot more time in the house after that.
> My husband and I always explained away happenings
> because we live in a townhouse.
>
> Then our daughter would start following someone
> with her eyes and laugh at seeming nothing. It was
> fine until it attacked my husband, literally
> pushing him down the stairs. I have to cleanse my
> home 3 times a year.

What part of Centreville are you in? I have had a similar experience in my townhouse. I wonder if the civil war has anything to do with this. I am on the border of Clifton.

Also, I work in the county bldgs. after hours. I have had quite a few experiences in the schools, especially the new ones on the old prison grounds.

Posted by: Ghost in Centreville ()
Date: September 01, 2013 10:33AM

Right near Walney Road. we've seen shadows and things moving out of the corners of my eye. Things get lost or moved around. My daughter looks and laughs at things we cannot see.

Date: September 01, 2013 10:34AM

Casper Luver Wrote:
> What part of Centreville are you in? I have had a
> similar experience in my townhouse. I wonder if
> the civil war has anything to do with this. I am
> on the border of Clifton.
>
> Also, I work in the county bldgs. after hours. I
> have had quite a few experiences in the schools,
> especially the new ones on the old prison grounds.

Wow, tell us more and don't spare the details. I'd love to hear the stories.

Posted by: Centreville history ()
Date: September 01, 2013 11:07AM

Old of the oldest towns in Fairfax County, Centreville was chartered in 1792. Buildings remaining in the Centreville Historic District include the Mount Gilead House, the Old Stone Church, St. John's Church and cemetery. The area around the old town include Sully Plantation, Walney and the Ox Hill Battlefield sites.

Sully Historic Site is a Virginia Landmark. Built in 1794 by Richard Bland Lee, Northern Virginia's first representative to Congress, the house is furnished with antiques dating back to the federal period. View additional information at Fairfax County Park Authority's Sully Historic Site. Though it may seem distant from Centreville today, when Lee lived at Sully, Centreville was the largest nearby town and Mr. Lee was a participant in some of the town's activities.Mount Gilead

Although some say that the Mount Gilead home was built prior to 1750, there is currently no documentation supporting this theory. The home was most likely built around 1785 by Joel Beach who operated it as an ordinary, or inn "at the Sign of the Black Horse," until 1789.

Francis Adams owned the house after that with his wife Ann, who lived there many years after his death. Mr. Adams owned a number of other town properties, including a tanyard.

Mount Gilead became the home of the Malcolm Jamesson family in 1837. Mr. Jamesson operated a tannery nearby. Mount GIlead remained in the hands of Jamesson family members until the 1930s. It is believed that during the Civil War, Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston, Commander of the Department of Northern Virginia, resided at Mount Gilead. His operational headquarters were nearby, at Four Chimney House (it stood near where Wiloughby Newton Drive is today). Almost 40,000 Confederate troops were quartered in the Centreville area. Remains of Confederate breastworks can be found on the property adjacent to the Jamesson family cemetery.

Old Stone Church

Now the home of the Church of the Ascension, the church was first built in 1854 to house the Centreville Methodist Episcopal Church. During the Civil War the church was used as a hospital to treat men following the First and Second Battles of Manassas. Little more than the walls remained at the war's end and the church was rebuilt on the original foundations in 1872.

Following the Second World War, returning soldiers built a parish hall onto the church of matching stone. In 1973 the Church of the Ascension bought the building from the Centreville United Methodist Church. In celebration of the church's history the Methodist tradition of spare interior decor is maintained.

A Civil War Trails sign stands in front of the church today, at the point where Union soldiers turned from Braddock Road and headed west toward the first Manassas battlefield in July 1861. A grant from the Centreville Community Foundation funded the sign. Text and graphics were compiled by the Friends of Historic Centreville with assistance of the Civil War Trails program.

Mount Gilead, the Old Stone Church, and St. John's Church are all located in the Centreville Historic District located around Braddock Road and Mt. Gilead Road, between Lee Highway and I66.

Posted by: Kayla1 ()
Date: September 02, 2013 06:52AM

I live in Gate City Virginia, I lived right below my mamaw's house and during the weekdays I would walk up to her house and stay with her. One night I was laying in my bed room that my mamaw let me stay in, I was trying to go to sleep when I kept seeing shadows on the walls. I would always just ignore it until one night I was laying there and I kept hearing my name being called. I simply thought it was my mamaw calling for me so I jumped out of my bed and went in to the living room were my mamaw was sitting and asked her what it was she wanted. She replied by saying what are you talking about I never called for you?

So I went bad to my bed room and as I looked into the mirror I saw a man staring at me, his eyes were so cold and dark and that was the last time I had ever stayed all night in that house and I never go into that room. There has been a lot more since this but this is the only person or thing I've seen face to face.

Date: September 03, 2013 12:26PM

susan/hunters woods Wrote:
> Reston hunters woods area I have experienced many
> events over the years in my townhouse. I have had
> items disappear only to be found months later in
> the same spot they disappeared from. Lights blink
> for no reason appliances turn themselves on. My
> neighbor has had similar experiences at her home.
> I have seen a ghostly woman in wearing 19th
> century clothes and a young African American girl
> attired similarly. My cat would sit for hours just
> staring at the same spot.

We live in the Deepwood area. I was driving home one rainy night. There was a man in short sleeves and what looked to be khakis standing by a sign. (this was in December 2012) I was a few hundred feet from him. When I drove by he wasn't there. There was nowhere he could have possibly gone in that short amount of time.

Date: September 03, 2013 12:42PM

Posted by: anymoose ()
Date: September 09, 2013 11:17AM

One day when I was gardening I heard a little girl laughing in my house. I have heard the same laugh 2 separate occasions prior to this event I've never been so scared in my life. The third time it happened I ran into my bedroom and called my ex wife crying. This is a true story.

Posted by: Not in Fairfax but a good story ()
Date: September 13, 2013 10:25AM

Shortly before my dad died, when we knew he was living on borrowed time, I once told him to come back and tell me he was okay after he was dead. I was like, "Tell me what happens!" and he said he wouldn't, because then I wouldn't have to have faith. So I was like, "Then just let me know you're okay!" and he laughed and said he'd give it a go.

Two days after his funeral, we were still at my parents' house on the coast of Oregon. We were stuck there because there was a massive, four-day windstorm that knocked out all the power for days and made traversing any of the bridges on 101 totally impossible. (Interesting to note: The town has not lost power since this storm, which began the day of Dad's funeral.)

It was the middle of the night, and something woke me up. I sat up in the bed I was sharing in the guest room with H, and I saw what looked like a flashlight flickering over the walls. At first I figured it was probably my sister lighting her way to the hall bathroom, which was next to our room, but the floors are super creaky and I didn't hear anything. The light sort of fluttered around the room for a minute and then blinked out entirely. I got up and looked into the hallway and nobody was there. I checked the other guest room and my sister was asleep. I was the only one awake in the house.

To this day I'm convinced it was my father, just letting me know he was okay, but in an ambiguous enough way that I'd still have to have faith.

Posted by: evil doll ()
Date: September 13, 2013 01:51PM

My mother [...] had a large Shirley Temple doll when she was little whose eyes she says followed her, literally. She hated that doll, and it ended up buried somewhere, only to resurface when she was much older. She would not tell me the rest of the story until I begged her, and made me promise not to ask my aunt about it, and to not mention it again after she told me.

She gave the doll to my cousin. Why she did this, I can't imagine. She says that she had convinced herself that she was imagining things as a child herself, but seriously?

Anyway, my cousin is playing with the doll one day, when my aunt comes in and finds the doll TALKING to my cousin. So, she promptly freaks the fuck out, and takes the doll away. My uncle buried it, in pieces, as it continued to laugh up a storm.

That shit is evil.

I asked my aunt about it (against my mom's wishes), and she simply said, "I don't want to talk about it."
Attachments:
5003052857_167f55e90c_z.jpg

Posted by: my story ()
Date: September 13, 2013 03:14PM

My dad was dating a woman (let's call her Anne) in Rochester, NY. She lived in an old farm house. I don't even know where to begin with this place. Let's bulletpoint it out:

1) The basement looked like the basement in Stir of Echoes. Most of it was cement, except for "the scary room" which was a mound of dirt and sand. Weird and scary things would result if anything happened in that room, like having to run wires through it. Anne placed a chest-high piece of wood in the door frame to keep her animals from getting in there. It's worth noting that while her cat would go into the basement, her extremely loyal dog could not be made to go down the steps. That's when you know something's wrong. Anyway, Anne kept her cat's food dish on the top step to the basement. One day, she noticed a few pieces of the cat's food laying a couple steps down from the dish. Thinking nothing of it, she let it be. The next day, the food had moved down a step in the exact same pattern. Next day, same thing. Again and again until the food disappeared. Anne tried not to go into the basement as a matter of course, but had to soon thereafter to do laundry. She saw the cat food in the same pattern in the scary room. Blaaaagh.

2) Before my dad lived with her, she had a nightly routine. She would get in bed and read and then would turn on the t.v. (which was directly across from the bed) and fall asleep. Her dog would lie on the floor by her side. One night, she was reading and her dog jumped up and started barking at the t.v. Since her dog was generally hyper, she thought nothing of it—didn't even look up. But when the barking persisted, she looked at the t.v. The t.v. was off, but there were black and white images on the screen. They kept changing every minute or so—a church, a skull, etc. While she had experienced many scary things in her house, this freaked her out badly. She called my dad, panicking, and asked what to do. He said, "Take pictures!" She did. I've seen them. That t.v. was most definitely off and there were most definitely images on it. You can bet that when I stayed in their guest room for a Thanksgiving visit, I made sure the t.v. across from my bed was unplugged (not that it would've made a difference, but it made me feel better!), the lights stayed on, and the blanket was over my head all night.

3) Anne had a ghost travel with her to visit my dad one time. While it wasn't a mean-spirited ghost or anything, I still find that unbelievably creepy....so Paranormal Activity-ish.

4) I asked my dad what the scariest thing was that happened to him while living in that house and he said that one day, he was making a sandwich in the kitchen (which adjoined to the basement stairs, btw) and felt something hit his back and then heard it drop to the floor. It was a penny. "Weird," he thought. He started walking to the living room and something hit has back again. Same. Penny. Not cool, ghost. Not cool.

Posted by: old man ghost ()
Date: September 13, 2013 04:50PM

My mother worked in a daycare that had taken over the wing of an old school and the building is notoriously haunted with the ghost of the school's name-sake and founder, Colonel Walker. The attic of the building was used as storage for the daycare and many people reported small, fairly unobtrusive events while being up there, things like boxes shifting around behind you, drawers opening on the other side of the room where you were, curtains suddenly moving, the feeling of someone else being in the attic with you. But the kids were the most in tune it seems. I know that lots of the kids talked about "the old man" at the daycare (which was staffed entirely by women), and I have definitely seen the kids react by all at once looking to the door as if someone entered the room when no one had. Personally, I always felt as if someone was walking directly behind me whenever I had to go from one end of the hallway to another and sometimes I would hang out in the kitchen waiting for my mom to finish up work for the day while I finished my homework or something, I often felt like someone was there with me (I spent a lot of time there, especially in the summer when school was out, helping around the daycare). The most famous piece of evidence of Colonel Walker's ghost was a picture taken at Halloween of all the kids in their costumes. Right in the back, standing behind the children and looking straight at the camera, is the watery and somewhat blurred face and upper body of an older man. Like, you don't even have to squint or tilt your head to make out that it is there. Now I know that it could have been some bleed from some other photos or something, but I think, given all the other evidence it seems they got the Colonel on camera.

Posted by: Charlotte ()
Date: September 13, 2013 05:49PM

When I was 8, my family moved into an old Colonial that was built in 1810. My father still lives there. Until I was 17, every before I feel asleep, I would feel pressure next to me as if someone sat down on the bed next to me. This would always be accompanied with a feeling of increased pressure in the air. Although I knew this probably didn't happen to everyone, I didn't think about it much.

Until I got a cat. He was a present for my twelfth birthday. Each night, he would sack out on the bed near my feet. Each night, he would bolt from a dead sleep and glare at something in the doorway before hightailing it out of there. A few moments later, the pressure would return.

Again, while this was a weird thing to happen, I didn't really question it. Maybe the cat was just neurotic. I didn't talk about this nightly occurrence to anyone. However, I did refer this feeling/presence/what have you as "Charlotte." I don't know why.

So one day in the summer when I was thirteen, an elderly man and his middle-aged daughter pull up to our house and explain that the father lived in the house with his aunt while he was a boy and that he raised his family there for a few years. They had been visiting family in the neighborhood, and they wondered if they could take a tour for old times' sake. My mom said sure. She, my sister and I led them around the house, and they recalled different memories.

Afterward, my mom asked them if they remembered strange occurrences or stories about the house. "Like ghosts?" the old man asked and chuckled. His daughter became very quiet and said firmly, "It's not funny, Dad." The man explained that everyone who slept in one bedroom felt a little unsettled, and his daughter interrupted to say that she always felt as if someone sat on the edge of the bed and she tried to go to sleep. Her father said they used to joke that it was just his aunt looking out for them—his Aunt Charlotte.

This confirmed what I had never admitted to myself. I had a freaking ghost that basically tucked me in at night for the previous five years.

Still, going to bed was never freaky or scary. I just tried to ignore the feeling when it came.

Until one night when I was 16. My parents had been going through a weird patch in their marriage, I was feeling depressed, and in general, it was a weird year. I went to bed; after about 20 minutes the cat took his typical bolting exit from the bed, and I felt the familiar pressure on my side.

Then I felt a hand brush through my hair.

Then I ran straight downstairs to the living room where my mom was dozing. She woke up when I burst in the room, saw my face, and asked what was wrong. I told her I had a nightmare and left it at that.

I spent a week sleeping in the guest room. When I got the nerve to go back to my room, I was nearly asleep when I realized I didn't feel the pressure next to me. I did feel pressure in the air. I rolled on my back and saw the figure of a woman in her 60s, wearing a housedress, her hair pulled back in a bun, with her arms folded. She was looking right at me, very concerned. When I found my voice, she disappeared. I said out loud, "I don't care if you stay, but I can NEVER, EVER, EVER see you again." I never did.

However a few years later, after my parents divorced and my dad moved in his girlfriend and her 4 year old son, I wasn't really surprised when she told me her little boy said a lady named Charlotte told him stories at night.

Posted by: lady in the bathroom ()
Date: September 13, 2013 08:12PM

About ten years ago my 3 year old son and I moved into a new house. Well, it was new to us, but it was actually a very old house. The inside of the house always seemed to be just a little darker and a little colder than it should be. I had noticed that the first time I went to view the house but as it was summer I figured it would save on cooling costs.

Soon after we moved in a friend of mine came by. We were sitting and talking for a few minutes but she seemed uncomfortable the whole time. Then I saw in her face that something in the other room caught her attention. Her eyes got big. She said "I have to go." I asked her what was wrong but she said she didn't want to tell me. I kept after her because her reaction was kind of freaking me out. On her way out the door she finally said "This house is haunted" but she wouldn't tell me what made her think so. Still to this day ten years later she refuses to tell me what she saw.

About a week after that night my 3 year old son casually asked me who the old lady in the bathroom was.

One day I was leaving for work but once I got to the car I realized I needed to run back in the house to get something. I walked in to the house and as soon as I got inside this framed photo on the wall shot off the wall. Now, I don't mean it fell because of some issue with the nail or anything like that. It shot horizontally away from the wall, not vertically down. And it landed on a mosaic table with enough force to break some of the tiles off of it. I felt like whatever was in the house was pissed that I came back in after it thought I had left for the day!

After living in the house for about six months, I noticed a weird square cut into the boards on the deck. There was no handle but I was able to pry it up. The hole was just big enough to fit through, and there was a ladder going down. For some reason I went down and found myself in what looked like a homemade basement. It was basically just a room dug out of the earth, no constructed walls or stone supports or anything like you would expect if it was a basement that was built with the house. It was very dark but I could see over in the corner a suspicious-looking large stone. It looked like one of those light-colored 100+ year old headstones that you see in old cemeteries. Just then some camel crickets started jumping at me so I got my ass out of that "basement" as fast as I could and never went back.

Now, this is the part that affected me most and the reason we left the house. One night I was in bed but not yet asleep, laying on my stomach. I heard someone walk into the room. I heard footsteps come from the doorway over to my bed. I didn't realize until later that the fact that I heard the footsteps was weird because the room was carpeted. When the footsteps reached my bed, I felt someone put their hands on my back. Two hands, just gently laid flat on my back and kept there. I assumed it was my son. I said "What are you doing?" but no one answered. I looked up and no one was there. I got up and checked my son's bedroom but he was in bed asleep.

We moved out soon after that.

Posted by: Melinda ()
Date: September 14, 2013 04:54AM

I looked up hauntings and found this... I am searching because last night My children, kitten, and I all clearly heard my husband come in and then mess around in the cupboards and stove and such perhaps checking for food so I thought I had better go check, however I then realized he never turned on the light. Now mind you I live in a new trailer... Not an old house. I went to call out to my husband but he did not answer me. I thought perhaps he came home drunk and went to lay down on the living room floor so I turned on the light... Nothing.

I went back to my room and later hear the other door clearly slam shut. I went to check half worried as I had no weapon and my child was on
my skirt tails. I checked the doors and soundly closed and locked.

Tonight I head a bang on the top of my trailer and I assumed it fell from the tree... Later I heard creeks on the drier (still hearing them as I type... But lessening) which prompted me to think and realize... The tree that drops nuts of some sort is clear on the other end of my (long) trailer. I live on Dutchman Rd off of 29 N.

Posted by: Crazy Cat ()
Date: September 15, 2013 05:03AM

My house has never been haunted, but I do have a bit of a habit of being a weirdness magnet.

For example, when I was really young (Like maybe two or three), I had twins as "imaginary friends". We would do everything together, until one day they left. A few days later, my twin cousins were born.

This summer I brought a ghost home from Savannah. He wasn't malicious or anything. He messed with our computers (like playing with the touch screen) mostly. However, right before I started college, I was telling my mom that I needed and oven mitt.

Later the same night, I get up from my computer to go into the kitchen to get a snack. I spent maybe five minutes away from my computer. When I came back, the oven mitt from the kitchen was draped over the computer monitor.

My parents were in their bed. I have no siblings.

*shrugs*

Since I've come to Savannah, the activity in the house has stopped. I dunno if the ghost will join us for winter break.
Attachments:
ku-medium.gif

Posted by: Love Always ()
Date: September 15, 2013 03:00PM

My great-grandmother was very close to my mom and was apparently an incredible woman. She died before I was born, but my mom tells us a lot of stories about her. From the time my little sister was born, she's had a very strong resemblance to old pictures of my great-grandma and her whole side of the family. Once, when my sister was a baby just beginning to learn to speak, my mom was holding my sister on her lap, talking and playing with her. My sister reached up and took my mother's face in her hands (like my great-grandmother used to do to my mom when she was alive), looked her in the eye, and very clearly said, "You always were such a beautiful baby." My mother was shocked, but my sister, who was not yet speaking in full sentences, had gone back to making her typical baby sounds.

My mom told this story at dinner when my sister was about six or seven. This was the first time my sister ever heard the story, and she was a little freaked out. As soon as my mom finished telling the story though, my sister's eye twitched, as if she were winking.

Posted by: shallyriaU ()
Date: September 15, 2013 06:06PM

The only time where I am pretty certain that I saw a ghost/something supernatural was on a church youth group trip I took in early high school. It was an all-girls trip where we stayed at a beach house in Wilmington, NC for the weekend. In the middle of the second night we were there, I woke up to one of the other girls staying in the room screaming in her sleep. I sat up, looked over, and saw a girl standing over her bed and right by where she was sleeping. At first, I thought it was just a girl who stayed in another room at first, but once I looked more closely, it wasn't. I was definitely wide awake and laid back down as I watched her walk around the bed. I noticed that there was what looked like a red and whited striped towel on the wall (which was not there when we went to sleep), and the thing that really freaked me out was that the mirror facing the two beds was pitch black. Even in darkness, you can still see somewhat of a reflection in a mirror, but not this one, it was completely black. No reflection. The girl noticed that I was looking at her — she turned around and made the nastiest, snarliest face at me. I still remember the slits of her eyes giving me that evil glare. My entire body ran cold and I began to shake, as I start screaming that there's a ghost. This doesn't wake up the girl who was shouting in her sleep, but it does wake up the other 2 girls in the room, who say go back to sleep. The ghost-girl doesn't disappear. She stands there placidly at the end of the other bed and watches us as one girl tells me to calm down. I start crying and hide under the covers until I manage to fall asleep. In the morning, I was so relieved to wake up and see the mirror back to normal and no towel hanging on the wall. Of course, I am all "ghost! ghost! there was a ghost!" in the morning, to which I receive rolled eyes and chidings of "Christians don't believe in ghosts, and you shouldn't either" (eff that, you need a better reason than that). One of the girls who I woke up starts laughing, saying she thought it was so silly of me. I run through my story - creepy girl, black mirror, red and white towel on the wall. At the mention of the towel, she stops and gives me a funny look, a look that clearly said to me that she did see something when I woke her up. I didn't say anything, but after that, if [my ghost] was brought up, she quickly changed the conversation.

Posted by: lil long ()
Date: September 16, 2013 03:45AM

Nothing happened when I was younger, but in my early teens I started to notice weird occurrences (and since then I've read that it's "common" for things to start around teenage girls' adolescences. . .). The very first thing happened my freshman year of high school when I had a sleepover, and several girls brought cameras and took pictures. When they got their photos back, there were pictures in two separate rolls which seemed to have white vortex shapes swooping across me, obscuring my face and upper body.

Immediately after this, an odd tapping began coming from my bedroom walls. At first I thought nothing of it because it's obviously a very old house and they creak. But as I heard it more frequently I started realizing that it had some very strange characteristics. First of all, it only ever seemed to happen as I got into bed when I was in that receptive almost-asleep stage. (I had my desk in there, too, where I would spend many long hours doing homework, so I would have noticed if they had come at other times.) Also, they alternated walls; they would rapidly switch from one to another, and sometimes they'd go simultaneously on two opposite walls, then switch suddenly to the other two opposite walls.

Then something even more dramatic happened. In childhood and up until I was 17 I had bunk beds, which were actually great since I was always having friends spend the night (my house was where we all hung out due to size, location, and how well my parents got along with everyone). One night I was had just gotten into bed on the top bunk, when suddenly the sheets were jerked sharply towards the wall, pulling partially off me. It was almost as if someone were in the bottom bunk, playing a trick on me or trying to get my attention. So that was very strange, but felt almost playful, so I didn't feel too scared by it. But it was VERY odd, nonetheless.

When I was 17 I got a new bed so we started dismantling the bunk bed, and first gave away the top mattress to our neighbors who had a young son, so for a little while I used the top bunk as a sort of shelf (but it still had the solid railing so it was boxed in on all sides). One day I put a pile of textbooks and magazines on the top bunk in some boxes I had sitting there, and was on the computer on the other side of the room typing something up, my back turned. Suddenly there was a loud series of quick crashes and I whirled around just in time to see my last textbook sliding over the side of the top bunk and cascade to the floor on top of the others books. Since the railing is about ten inches high on all sides and the boxes were about the same AND the pile was not that tall, they would have had to have somehow ‘jumped' over the both the side of the box and then the side of the bed!

The creepiest experience was when a friend was spending the night, and we were getting ready for bed, and my cat (who is the most docile, sweet, and gentle cat I've ever known), was curled up on my lap purring loudly. My friend switched off the light and he continued to purr warmly, but not ten seconds later he drastically changed on the turn of a dime. His body suddenly stiffened, all his fur rose up completely on end, he dug his claws deep into my thigh (enough to draw blood!), and started to growl loudly. The growls quickly escalated into horrible piercing noises, like shrieks, at the top of his lungs that I have NEVER heard any cat make. The whole time his entire body was rigid and tense also. Even aside from that, there was a general off feeling in the room, and my friend quickly rushed up to turn the light back on. Almost immediately the claws pulled out from my skin, and he relaxed and settled down, but still seemed unsettled. That only happened once in his whole life, but it remains extremely disconcerting to me, to this day.[...]

Then last year, one of the strangest things yet happened to me. I was home from London on break, and though nothing of note had happened for years, that changed. I was alone because my parents were at work, but out of habit I locked the bathroom door anyway when I went to take a shower. Nothing was noticeably amiss in there; everything seemed in order. I laid my clothes down on the floor and stepped straight into the bathtub where I took a really long shower. After a long time I opened the curtain back up and I immediately and strongly felt like someone had been in there unnoticed while I was showering, but I checked the lock (which is an old-fashioned latch on the inside) and it was still fastened. I grabbed a towel, stepped out, then noticed something really strange.

The bottle of baby powder (which we never use, it's typically on the bottom shelf in a basket) was not only out but lying open right in the very middle of the bathroom floor, with its contents scattered everywhere in the entrance area. Footsteps led through it and onto the dark yellow bathmat, stopping short of the tub. At first I though, "That's strange, I REALLY don't remember it being there but I guess I must have walked through it to get here." I was almost positive that it hadn't been there since it was so clearly right in the middle of where I would have walked, and such an obvious mess, but it was the only thing I could think of as an explanation. But then I noticed that one of the footsteps was half on the mat, half on my jeans, and that there was another obvious footprint on my jeans after that. Then I thought (though even more skeptically), that I must have stepped ON my jeans somehow before getting in, even though I was convinced that I had stepped straight out of them and gotten directly in. Still, it was the only explanation I could think of. However, when I looked more closely at the prints, I couldn't convince myself of anything; they were significantly smaller than mine, almost like a child's.

After that day and in retrospect everything that has happened almost seems like something a child would do; they're all fairly playful or something your younger sibling would do.

Posted by: lisam1120 ()
Date: September 16, 2013 09:01PM

I live in Centreville, and apparently our house along with several others was built on what use to be a large stretch of land that belonged to a farmer. A few months after we moved in and got to know all of our neighbors, we were told that in the wooded area directly behind our house is the now unmarked gravesite to two little girls. So I was curious and had one of the neighbors show me where this was. I was a bit taken back at how close this area was to my backyard fence, Approx 40 feet. Sure enough, surrounding several large & very old tree's, was a makeshift fence that the farmer had used to encircle where he had buried his two daughters next to these tree's. What was creepy about the whole thing was, he had used burnt pieces of wood that was left over from the house fire that killed his two little girls to make this fence. There were two headstones that either he made or had them made for him, but a couple of years prior to us buying the house, vandals made they're way back there and had smashed the headstones, leaving approx. 50% of the burnt fence left standing. Over the years our family has really cleaned up the area, removing all of the dead branches and brush and getting rid of any trash and debris around the burial site. During the spring and summer now, it really looks nice with lots of new growth around this circular area that the girls are in and not as dreary and dark like it use to look. I felt it was very disrespectful the way it looked, all overgrown with weeds and ivy and rotting logs and branches that covered the ground, not allowing any sunlight in to get any green growth or wild flowers, so I felt the need to clean it up and make it as nice as possible. Nobody comes to visit these two little girls, they are just tucked back into a wooded area and forgotten, so I felt the least I could do, is give them a bright and clean resting place. We have a pool in our backyard and I always use to say to our kids and neighbors, that if they ever hear two little girls laughing and splashing around during the early morning hours, not to worry, its probably just the little girls having some fun. I can happily say that, in the 10 years we have lived here, that we have NOT experienced any hauntings..... yet.

Posted by: Local Historian ()
Date: September 17, 2013 06:55PM

lisam1120 Wrote:
> I live in Centreville, and apparently our house
> along with several others was built on what use to
> be a large stretch of land that belonged to a
> farmer. A few months after we moved in and got to
> know all of our neighbors, we were told that in
> the wooded area directly behind our house is the
> now unmarked gravesite to two little girls. So I
> was curious and had one of the neighbors show me
> where this was. I was a bit taken back at how
> close this area was to my backyard fence, Approx
> 40 feet. Sure enough, surrounding several large &
> very old tree's, was a makeshift fence that the
> farmer had used to encircle where he had buried
> his two daughters next to these tree's. What was
> creepy about the whole thing was, he had used
> burnt pieces of wood that was left over from the
> house fire that killed his two little girls to
> make this fence. There were two headstones that
> either he made or had them made for him, but a
> couple of years prior to us buying the house,
> vandals made they're way back there and had
> smashed the headstones, leaving approx. 50% of the
> burnt fence left standing. Over the years our
> family has really cleaned up the area, removing
> all of the dead branches and brush and getting rid
> of any trash and debris around the burial site.
> During the spring and summer now, it really looks
> nice with lots of new growth around this circular
> area that the girls are in and not as dreary and
> dark like it use to look. I felt it was very
> disrespectful the way it looked, all overgrown
> with weeds and ivy and rotting logs and branches
> that covered the ground, not allowing any sunlight
> in to get any green growth or wild flowers, so I
> felt the need to clean it up and make it as nice
> as possible. Nobody comes to visit these two
> little girls, they are just tucked back into a
> wooded area and forgotten, so I felt the least I
> could do, is give them a bright and clean resting
> place. We have a pool in our backyard and I
> always use to say to our kids and neighbors, that
> if they ever hear two little girls laughing and
> splashing around during the early morning hours,
> not to worry, its probably just the little girls
> having some fun. I can happily say that, in the
> 10 years we have lived here, that we have NOT
> experienced any hauntings..... yet.

By any chance do you know the name of the family? And the little girls?

Date: September 18, 2013 12:27AM

Local historian....
I don't know anything about them, but have wanted to learn more about what happened since I found out about them. Some of my neighbors say that its just the two little girls buried back there, but another neighbor who has lived here since these houses were built tells me that its not just the two daughters, but its also the mother as well who supposedly also died in the fire. I would love to be able to find out who they are, so that a proper headstone can be placed with them. It saddens me that there is nothing to identify the young girls and possibly the mother. I didn't know this family but they still deserve to be acknowledged. Does anyone know, how I could go about finding out who this family was?

Date: September 18, 2013 04:48AM

lisam1120 Wrote:
> Local historian....
> I don't know anything about them, but have wanted
> to learn more about what happened since I found
> out about them. Some of my neighbors say that its
> just the two little girls buried back there, but
> another neighbor who has lived here since these
> houses were built tells me that its not just the
> two daughters, but its also the mother as well who
> supposedly also died in the fire. I would love
> to be able to find out who they are, so that a
> proper headstone can be placed with them. It
> saddens me that there is nothing to identify the
> young girls and possibly the mother. I didn't
> know this family but they still deserve to be
> acknowledged. Does anyone know, how I could go
> about finding out who this family was?

You could check with the county to find out who owned that lot of property, they keep records on such things. Once you get the name, our boy Chuck Hoffman here on FFU, will probably have information on the family.

Date: September 18, 2013 12:39PM

local historian.....
Ok, I will see what I can find out through the county records and get back with the information that I find. Thank you

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: September 21, 2013 07:49PM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 10:13PM by chuckhoffmann.

Date: September 22, 2013 11:12AM

Thanks Chuck!

Date: September 22, 2013 02:41PM

Thank you Chuck, this is very interesting. I don't see my street or the cross street where it should be. The main street that the unmarked grave sits off of in the woods is Poplar Tree. The road starts as Westfields Blvd, turns into Poplar Tree for a short distance and then turns into Stone Rd. Its a wooded area that the County owns and takes care of, however the area that the gravesite sits, nobody ever goes back there to maintain it as its just a wooded area. Its very close to our back fence though, so we have kept the area as clear as possible of dead branches and debris. I'm not sure if this additional information may help. Is it possible that the farmer didn't report that this is where he buried his family? I'm not sure how things worked back then as far as people being buried on personal property.

I found it very fascinating with the locations you provided, as it sounds like many of them are in peoples backyards or under the house they live in. They sound like a regular home address that you are giving. Do some of these locations have headstones? Its just so bizarre to me, that they aren't in a real cemetery so to speak.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. I have attached a couple of pictures of the area, one of the gravesite and one of how close it sits to Poplar Tree Rd. The first picture is where the girls are buried with the fencing surrounding them & the tree's, I tried to get a picture of how close the area was to Poplar Tree Rd which is the 2nd picture. I know they aren't that good, but the camera kept focusing in on the tree's making it hard to see the road. Sorry.
Attachments:
gravesite2.jpg
gravesite.jpg

Posted by: Hmmmmmm ()
Date: September 23, 2013 05:01AM

Very creepy, sounds like the farmer buried them out there and never told the county.

­
Date: September 23, 2013 07:11AM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 10:16PM by chuckhoffmann.

­
Date: September 23, 2013 07:45AM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 10:17PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Hmmmmmm ()
Date: September 23, 2013 12:24PM

That is incredibly sad, but good research work Chuck.

Date: September 23, 2013 07:03PM

Chuck.....

WOW.... I am so incredibly greatful for your help with this. You have managed to bring tears to my eyes today. For 10 years I have wanted to know who these little girls were that laid just feet from my backyard, to be able to have names, instead of always saying "two little girls" and to be able to know the real story about what happened to them, instead of rumors. A lot of people may not understand why this has touched me so much, but everyday I look out my window and see a broken down, makeshift fence that I knew surrounded two little girls, yet I knew nothing about them and what bothered me the most was, nobody ever came to see them, they are just forgotten in a wooded area, with lots of dead branches & debris. I thought about how the father of these children would feel, knowing that his two daughters burial site was never taken care of and that nobody would ever have known that they were buried there because any headstones that were there, no longer exsist.

My family and I have done all that we can to keep the area picked up and now more than ever I want to be able to give both "Daisy" and "Ella" something everyone should have, which is acknowledgment at they're resting place. I am going to try my hardest to find a way to provide a headstone for them. Maybe I can find a shop that would be willing to donate a headstone or even just a name plaque for them. I know that there is a store out in Manassass that makes funeral items. The anniversary of they're death is coming up and it would be wonderful to be able to give them acknowledgment.

Again, I cant thank you enough, you've put closure to 10 years of wondering and not knowing how to find out who they were. Thank you for giving them a name. :)

Lisa.

Posted by: Broad Run high Ghosts ()
Date: October 21, 2013 08:09AM

I've had a few encounters at Broad Run high. The first one occurred sometime in 2012 in room 205. I was sitting in the back of the room reading a book. Then suddenly I felt this harsh cold air like someone was blowing air directly on my neck. I was sitting against the wall so obviously no one was sitting behind me. The source was coming directly out of the wall (no vents were on said wall). It occurred for about 30 seconds then stopped.

The next one occurred on the last day of the same school year. It happened in the bathroom of room 9. I knocked to use the bathroom when I hear this very faint ''someone's in here''. I turned around for 10 seconds, then got suspicious of how quiet it sounded. I opened the door no one was in there and the lights were off. It couldn't have been anyone else it the room playing tricks. I heard it directly on the other side of the door. The room is small so if someone was in there I would have seen them walk out.

Posted by: Nico ()
Date: October 21, 2013 08:21AM

Chad Wrote:
> GHOST IN GREAT FALLS Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was staying at my boyfriends house for a
> couple
> > of weeks last summer and a lot of strange
> things
> > took place in the time I was
> > staying there. First 2 nights while I was
> sitting
> > outside with him and his sister we heard bells
> /
> > chimes at the house.
> >
> > The first time it was around the house but
> there
> > was a party at a house in the neighborhood so
> we
> > thought the sound was coming from
> > there. The second night we heard it the bells
> > started coming closer and closer to the house
> like
> > it was charging to us. That week a
> > kept waking up at 3:33 every night and would
> here
> > tapping all around me as well as his sister.
> Also
> > in his sisters room this door going
> > to the pipes in her closet kept falling off
> every
> > night when no one was in there.
> >
> > At the beginning of the week I couldn't find my
> > phone so I checked his entire room and suddenly
> > the phone dropped from the vent on the
> > ceiling and was freezing cold. After that I was
> we
> > heard all these creepy noises around the house
> > every night and the door in his sisters
> > closet kept falling.
> >
> > Finally on the last night before I left I went
> > shopping at Tyson's real late and I had a bunch
> of
> > things in the back of my car. I started
> > driving back to his house and heard this huge
> slam
> > on the back of my car. I looked on the road
> near
> > his house to see if I had hit anyone
> > or too see what the sound was but no one was
> > there. I called him to come out of the house
> > before I pulled in his driveway and told him
> what
> > I heard and as I went to show him where I heard
> > the sound there was a handprint on the inside
> of
> > my car at the same spot.
> >
> > That night I was very scared of what happened
> so
> > we all slept in his sisters room. That night
> > around 4 in the morning I woke up to see a
> > farmer with a bald head and red beard staring
> at
> > me smiling at the side of the bed.He seemed
> > friendly but he had a giant wound on his head
> > that was bleeding. His sister woke up because
> she
> > felt a presence too and as she woke up the man
> > disappeared. I told them what I saw and the
> > next day the door in her closet was placed
> > perfectly to the side and no one had been in
> there
> > since the last night when she put it back up.
>
>
> My friend and I were doing some work in an
> unoccupied house one day in Great Falls. We headed
> upstairs to the master bedroom
> to do some work in the bathroom. As we got within
> 3 or 4 feet of the bathroom door it slammed shut
> in our faces. We left right
> away to another level of the house. A few days
> later I was back at the house to finish working. I
> was standing in the kitchen
> waiting for my helper to arrive at the house. All
> the sudden a door that led to the basement that
> was wide open slammed shut
> right in front of me with extreme force it
> startled me to the point where I ran out of the
> house.
>
> There is something in that house that seemed angry
> with my presence. I've been back in the house
> since then and had no other
> experiences but I do believe on some level there
> is someone still there.

I was in Great Falls this weekend and I was crossing a bridge. I looked down and I saw a little girl in an old style dress with a red ribbon and looking at the ground. She was all alone and no one was in sight.

Everything look dead down there and I could not wrap around what I saw. Anybody know where this place is or seen the same thing. It was around the hours of 5-530.

Posted by: Need HELP from CHUCK HOFFMAN! ()
Date: October 21, 2013 10:39AM

Nico Wrote:
> Chad Wrote:
> -----
> > GHOST IN GREAT FALLS Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I was staying at my boyfriends house for a
> > couple
> > > of weeks last summer and a lot of strange
> > things
> > > took place in the time I was
> > > staying there. First 2 nights while I was
> > sitting
> > > outside with him and his sister we heard
> bells
> > /
> > > chimes at the house.
> > >
> > > The first time it was around the house but
> > there
> > > was a party at a house in the neighborhood so
> > we
> > > thought the sound was coming from
> > > there. The second night we heard it the bells
> > > started coming closer and closer to the house
> > like
> > > it was charging to us. That week a
> > > kept waking up at 3:33 every night and would
> > here
> > > tapping all around me as well as his sister.
> > Also
> > > in his sisters room this door going
> > > to the pipes in her closet kept falling off
> > every
> > > night when no one was in there.
> > >
> > > At the beginning of the week I couldn't find
> my
> > > phone so I checked his entire room and
> suddenly
> > > the phone dropped from the vent on the
> > > ceiling and was freezing cold. After that I
> was
> > we
> > > heard all these creepy noises around the
> house
> > > every night and the door in his sisters
> > > closet kept falling.
> > >
> > > Finally on the last night before I left I
> went
> > > shopping at Tyson's real late and I had a
> bunch
> > of
> > > things in the back of my car. I started
> > > driving back to his house and heard this huge
> > slam
> > > on the back of my car. I looked on the road
> > near
> > > his house to see if I had hit anyone
> > > or too see what the sound was but no one was
> > > there. I called him to come out of the house
> > > before I pulled in his driveway and told him
> > what
> > > I heard and as I went to show him where I
> heard
> > > the sound there was a handprint on the inside
> > of
> > > my car at the same spot.
> > >
> > > That night I was very scared of what happened
> > so
> > > we all slept in his sisters room. That night
> > > around 4 in the morning I woke up to see a
> > > farmer with a bald head and red beard staring
> > at
> > > me smiling at the side of the bed.He seemed
> > > friendly but he had a giant wound on his head
> > > that was bleeding. His sister woke up because
> > she
> > > felt a presence too and as she woke up the
> man
> > > disappeared. I told them what I saw and the
> > > next day the door in her closet was placed
> > > perfectly to the side and no one had been in
> > there
> > > since the last night when she put it back up.
> >
> >
> > My friend and I were doing some work in an
> > unoccupied house one day in Great Falls. We
> headed
> > upstairs to the master bedroom
> > to do some work in the bathroom. As we got
> within
> > 3 or 4 feet of the bathroom door it slammed
> shut
> > in our faces. We left right
> > away to another level of the house. A few days
> > later I was back at the house to finish working.
> I
> > was standing in the kitchen
> > waiting for my helper to arrive at the house.
> All
> > the sudden a door that led to the basement that
> > was wide open slammed shut
> > right in front of me with extreme force it
> > startled me to the point where I ran out of the
> > house.
> >
> > There is something in that house that seemed
> angry
> > with my presence. I've been back in the house
> > since then and had no other
> > experiences but I do believe on some level
> there
> > is someone still there.
>
>
> I was in Great Falls this weekend and I was
> crossing a bridge. I looked down and I saw a
> little girl in an old style dress with a red
> ribbon and looking at the ground. She was all
> alone and no one was in sight.
>
> Everything look dead down there and I could not
> wrap around what I saw. Anybody know where this
> place is or seen the same thing. It was around the
> hours of 5-530.

Chuck Hoffman has all sorts of information on the area, perhaps he can find a connection between the girl and that area. Chuck?

­
Date: October 21, 2013 11:00AM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 04:46PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Hmmmm.... ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:13AM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
> Need HELP from CHUCK HOFFMAN! Wrote:
> -----
> > Nico Wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > I was in Great Falls this weekend and I was
> > > crossing a bridge. I looked down and I saw a
> > > little girl in an old style dress with a red
> > > ribbon and looking at the ground. She was all
> > > alone and no one was in sight.
> > >
> > > Everything look dead down there and I could
> not
> > > wrap around what I saw. Anybody know where
> this
> > > place is or seen the same thing. It was
> around
> > the
> > > hours of 5-530.
> >
> > Chuck Hoffman has all sorts of information on
> the
> > area, perhaps he can find a connection between
> the
> > girl and that area. Chuck?
>
> I have no immediate knowledge, and there's not
> really enough information to do research and
> possibly tie this event to a specific person or
> circumstance.

How about any missing or deceased (accidents) children from say the 19th or early 20th Century in that area?

Posted by: GHOST GIRL HAUNTS DIFFICULT RUN? ()
Date: October 21, 2013 12:29PM

I saw a post from "ThePackLeader" about a girl that haunts Difficult Run. That is in Great Falls Park I believe.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/354056.html

Posted by: reston_gurl ()
Date: October 22, 2013 07:59AM

Just about 2 weeks ago, after recently moving into my moms house after a lay off, I had been in my room watching TV for the evening with my dog Frankie. I became tired so I switched off the lights and TV and rolled over onto my right side. About 5 minutes later I heard Frankie becoming agitated, very low growling and huffing, I roll over to turn on the lights to see what is going on, and that's when I saw it. What I thought was a man standing at the foot of my bed, I didn't see a face just a shadow of what appeared to be a man. So I screamed "oh my god, oh my god!" because I thought it was a rapist or something, so I threw my blanket at the "man" to confuse him so I could run out. Well the blanket went right through it and that's when I panicked and jumped up and switched on the lights. Frankie had his head down and his tail between his legs, I personally couldn't stop shaking, nor can I now sleep with the lights off.

Has anyone ever had these experiences with you before? What does it mean?

­
Date: October 22, 2013 09:22AM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 04:50PM by chuckhoffmann.

­
Date: October 22, 2013 09:37AM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 04:09PM by chuckhoffmann.

Date: October 22, 2013 11:08AM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
> Hmmmm.... Wrote:
> -----
> > chuckhoffmann Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I have no immediate knowledge, and there's
> not
> > > really enough information to do research and
> > > possibly tie this event to a specific person
> or
> > > circumstance.
> >
> > How about any missing or deceased (accidents)
> > children from say the 19th or early 20th
> Century
> > in that area?
>
> I could do this, but it's going to be a lot of
> research and news reports of that time are often
> frustrating because they refer to locations that
> were clear to readers of the time, but have long
> since changed or become obsolete.
>
> Also, a ghost story just isn't as much fun when
> you read the unembellished facts of the story; it
> often becomes tragic and depressing rather than
> spooky and mysterious.
>
> This is probably why you never hear stories about
> things like the ghost of Patty Moore, who
> disappeared on July 15, 1970 from near her home in
> Clifton and whose partially disarticulated
> skeleton was discovered three months later in
> Woodbridge.
>
> The reality of a young child who went out to play
> and was kidnapped, likely raped or otherwise
> sexually abused, then strangled to death doesn't
> give you an oogie thrill of mystery, it makes you
> sad and angry because the evil fucker who did it
> got away with it.

Yes, I see your point. Do you at least have any information on the ghost of the girl that is said to haunt Difficult Run or Great Falls? Anything like that on file?

Posted by: very popular site ()
Date: October 22, 2013 11:26AM

Posted by: jh ()
Date: October 22, 2013 12:26PM

I grow up in Springfield and the neighbor across the street from me had an inground pool installed when the house was built in the mid 60's. They uncovered a grave site when they dug the pool and I was told many years later that the house was haunted by a little girl. It was never spoke about when I lived there, I only heard about it later in life, no one in the house would acknowledge there was something going on in the house. I always wanted to go back and ask the current occupants if they ever had any experiences

Date: October 22, 2013 12:30PM

jh Wrote:
> I grow up in Springfield and the neighbor across
> the street from me had an inground pool installed
> when the house was built in the mid 60's. They
> uncovered a grave site when they dug the pool and
> I was told many years later that the house was
> haunted by a little girl. It was never spoke about
> when I lived there, I only heard about it later in
> life, no one in the house would acknowledge there
> was something going on in the house. I always
> wanted to go back and ask the current occupants if
> they ever had any experiences

What sort of things would happen there?

Posted by: Old MCI Bldg on Old Gallows Rd ()
Date: October 22, 2013 01:36PM

I used to work at MCI off Gallows road next to the 7-11 (see picture below). The building became haunted after a homeless guy was found dead either in one of the dumpsters behind our building (stories vary it might have been the dumpster behind 7-11 or the pet store/Mattress store. This was before we moved out to Ashburn, so I'm guessing it was about 2006. There had never been any issues in the building that we had none about, and we had been there for about 4 years. At this particular time, MCI had been on several floors of the building and had just begun transitioning people out to Ashburn. Some co-workers and I were outside talking, when one of them mentioned the "Turets guy" had died behind the building either in or around the dumpster. This was a skinny old white guy that would hang around outside 7-11 and try to bum cigarettes off of people. He had been around there for at least a few years prior to this.

Anyway, the 6th floor of the building was now empty and it was the best place to go to eat lunch or take a relaxing crap in the bathroom there. I went down there one day, and was taking a crap when suddenly a black shadowy figure walked by my stall door from the wall towards the door to the restroom, and punched the door. I quickly opened the door, and no one was there. It freaked me out all day and I went back up the 7th floor, and asked if my co-workers had ever had something like that happen. None did.

After that, I steered clear of the 6th floor for a few weeks, but went back down there to eat lunch. I was friends with the cleaning supervisor in that building and I had asked him about the 6th floor. Even though no one was on the 6th floor anymore, they had continued to clean the bathrooms each night during the week (because the MCI employees still used it). The cleaners had stopped doing it, because they had begun to have problems with hearing and seeing things on that floor. Not long after this many people that used to hang out on that floor stopped and MCI management sent out an email telling us not to go there anymore.

The Cleaning supervisor told me a few more stories of the problems they had. Lights coming on and going off, strange noises of a man in the men's restroom, strange sounds of things being "punched" (doors, walls, and the cleaning lady's cart thing for cleaning bathrooms).

Eventually it the cleaning supervisor brought in someone who performed some ceremony in the 6th floor men's room to drive off the "evil spirit". Supposedly after that, she had told the cleaning supervisor that it was a the spirit of a man that had become "trapped" in the building. I had always thought it was that homeless guy, because no one else that we knew of had died in or near the building other than him.
Attachments:
Old MCI building on Old Gallows Road next to 7-11.png

Posted by: jh ()
Date: October 22, 2013 04:50PM

Lots of sightings of a little girl. Sometime floating above the pool, at the tops of the stairs. One women that was friends with the family told me many years later about answering the door one night and a little girl was at the front door. She turned around to tell the family that lived there that there was a little girl at the front door then looked back and she was gone.

Date: October 23, 2013 06:53AM

jh Wrote:
> Lots of sightings of a little girl. Sometime
> floating above the pool, at the tops of the
> stairs. One women that was friends with the family
> told me many years later about answering the door
> one night and a little girl was at the front door.
> She turned around to tell the family that lived
> there that there was a little girl at the front
> door then looked back and she was gone.

That's pretty creepy. Is this by any chance near Hidden Pond Park?

Posted by: Windover ()
Date: October 23, 2013 09:19AM

Andrea Wrote:
> I'm also really into the paranormal, so anyone's
> stories would be awesome to hear. I live in Vienna
> and was wondering if there are any hauntings
> around here? I can only imagine that maybe the
> Freeman Store or that caboose ((sp?)) has some
> sort of something going on!
>
> But anyways, any detailed stories would be awesome
> to hear. Also locations! ((No bunnyman bridge
> thanks...everyone knows that one and knows that
> the Clifton kids will go fuck with you there))
>
> lol the thing from ghostsofamerica.com ... I read
> something on there a long time ago saying a
> "headless" woman has been seen drinking gasoline
> out of pumps or whatever, but it just seems like
> people would send the most ridiculous thing they
> could think of and then see if it got posted, and
> it did.

We have a ghost who comes and goes over the past 15 years. Recently heard a crash at the front door - like a brick was thrown or something. It was 7 p.m. and my wife and I just look at each other. Then I opened the front door and.....NOTHING!. Shit happens off and on. 10 years ago a young black male child about 10 years old would move run around the house around 3 a.m, laughing. I did not see him so much as I felt his presence. Then we had a house fire that could not be explained - torching the entire upper level on Sept. 12 when we were not home. Then we remodeled, added on and things quieted down until recently.

Our house sits on land that was part of the Windover Plantation prior to the end of the Civil War. The plantation house on elm was razed a couple years ago and a McMansion was put in it's place. Our house, however is 53 years old, and located in the plantation's orchard. Weird shit happens and things go missing all the time. There is a book out there on Virginia Ghosts that addresses Windover.

Posted by: Windover ()
Date: October 23, 2013 09:21AM

Forgot to point out that Windover is in NW Vienna

Posted by: Linda ()
Date: October 23, 2013 11:49AM

Where specifically in Great Falls?

Posted by: Nico ()
Date: October 23, 2013 12:33PM

Linda Wrote:
> Where specifically in Great Falls?

on a small bridge crossing a crek near the park

Posted by: Question? ()
Date: October 23, 2013 12:37PM

Windover Wrote:
> Andrea Wrote:
> -----
> > I'm also really into the paranormal, so
> anyone's
> > stories would be awesome to hear. I live in
> Vienna
> > and was wondering if there are any hauntings
> > around here? I can only imagine that maybe the
> > Freeman Store or that caboose ((sp?)) has some
> > sort of something going on!
> >
> > But anyways, any detailed stories would be
> awesome
> > to hear. Also locations! ((No bunnyman bridge
> > thanks...everyone knows that one and knows that
> > the Clifton kids will go fuck with you there))
> >
> > lol the thing from ghostsofamerica.com ... I
> read
> > something on there a long time ago saying a
> > "headless" woman has been seen drinking
> gasoline
> > out of pumps or whatever, but it just seems
> like
> > people would send the most ridiculous thing
> they
> > could think of and then see if it got posted,
> and
> > it did.
>
> We have a ghost who comes and goes over the past
> 15 years. Recently heard a crash at the front
> door - like a brick was thrown or something. It
> was 7 p.m. and my wife and I just look at each
> other. Then I opened the front door
> and.....NOTHING!. Shit happens off and on. 10
> years ago a young black male child about 10 years
> old would move run around the house around 3 a.m,
> laughing. I did not see him so much as I felt his
> presence. Then we had a house fire that could not
> be explained - torching the entire upper level on
> Sept. 12 when we were not home. Then we
> remodeled, added on and things quieted down until
> recently.
>
> Our house sits on land that was part of the
> Windover Plantation prior to the end of the Civil
> War. The plantation house on elm was razed a
> couple years ago and a McMansion was put in it's
> place. Our house, however is 53 years old, and
> located in the plantation's orchard. Weird shit
> happens and things go missing all the time. There
> is a book out there on Virginia Ghosts that
> addresses Windover.

As I recall reading some years back, there was a slave’s quarters or house on that property for the Windover Plantation, that was later turned into servants quarters. I don’t think that building exists anymore though. What was the cost of the damage from the fire?

Date: October 24, 2013 06:26AM

Nico Wrote:
> Linda Wrote:
> -----
> > Where specifically in Great Falls?
>
> on a small bridge crossing a crek near the park

Near Great Falls Park? Can you be more specific? Georgetown Pike area? Beach Mill? There are a few bridges in GF.

Thx!

Posted by: nico ()
Date: October 24, 2013 07:26AM

i took a right at the stop sign b4 the road going to the park (I saw the sign). Passed over a small bridge some miles down the road. not sure what that that road is calld i dont usually go that route

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: October 24, 2013 09:30AM

Nico you numb fuck. What is the name of the park? Are you fucking retarded?

Posted by: nico ()
Date: October 24, 2013 09:36AM

496 Wrote:
> Nico you numb fuck. What is the name of the park?
> Are you fucking retarded?

great falls park

sorry englis not so gud

Posted by: Sig ()
Date: October 24, 2013 12:08PM

Does anyone know about the ghost on Pleasant Valley Rd ?

I experienced this many, many years ago.....around 1989.

Most recently, two weeks ago.... a family friend mentioned the same ghost and stated that it's a well known story but I have not been able to find any mention of it.

Scared me then (24 yrs ago) and amazed me to hear someone talk about it recently and have extremely similar details to what I had experienced in the distant past (and only spoke of once or twice since).

Anyone know anything about it ???

Posted by: Hmmmm..... ()
Date: October 24, 2013 12:49PM

Sig Wrote:
> Does anyone know about the ghost on Pleasant
> Valley Rd ?
>
> I experienced this many, many years ago.....around
> 1989.
>
> Most recently, two weeks ago.... a family friend
> mentioned the same ghost and stated that it's a
> well known story but I have not been able to find
> any mention of it.
>
> Scared me then (24 yrs ago) and amazed me to hear
> someone talk about it recently and have extremely
> similar details to what I had experienced in the
> distant past (and only spoke of once or twice
> since).
>
> Anyone know anything about it ???

No, do tell.

Posted by: Wants to know ()
Date: October 25, 2013 07:17AM

Have there been any more sightings of Margaret A. Febrey?

The Ghost of Little Girl "Margaret" seen at Community Pool construction site
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/876023/876541.html#msg-876541

or the Ghost of Eva?

Seeking more info on the ghost of Eva
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/969228.html

Date: October 26, 2013 07:52PM

nico Wrote:
> i took a right at the stop sign b4 the road going
> to the park (I saw the sign). Passed over a small
> bridge some miles down the road. not sure what
> that that road is calld i dont usually go that
> route

Thank you. To those insulting Nico, I knew the park. I was looking for what he told me above.

Thank you Nico.

A Haunting Revisited
Posted by: A Haunting Revisited ()
Date: October 27, 2013 05:19AM

A Haunting Revisited
Self-proclaimed ghost hunter recalls her childhood living in Aspen Grove.
http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/groups/editors-picks/p/a-haunting-revisited

The ghost legend of Aspen Grove has been covered by the Washington Post, NBC, and a 2007 episode of HGTV’s “If These Walls Could Talk,” but never quite like it has been recently by author, medical transcriptionist, and ghost hunter Sharon Day.

In a three-part series on her blog GHOST THEOR1E5 http://www.ghosthuntingtheories.com/, Day relives her childhood in Aspen Grove, including details of relic discoveries, commentary on memorable events, as well as the effect the spirits may have had in the death of her family members after they moved away.

“I ask a lot questions of the field of the paranormal,” she said. “I talk about my experiences and invite the readers in for discussions that go back and forth and inspire new lines of thought.”

She got the idea for the blog in 2008 from her son, Alex, while bedridden from an Achilles tendon surgery. It's a “forum for the odd folk, paranormal theories, horror, humor; a real mind carnival," she said.

For Day, 48, that carnival began when she was 2 years old. She was the youngest of five children to move onto the estate. Her father worked for the postal office in Washington D.C. and her mother was an artist and historian who deeply loved the house for its illustrious past. As a child, Day roamed the property with a metal detector, finding old relics including bullets, cannonball fragments and, her favorite, a buried row of small tin soldiers.

Built in 1750, the Aspen Grove Estate was used by the Sagar family as a station in the Underground Railroad, before being fought over as a hospital by both sides during the Civil War.

The ghost might have been one of the many soldiers that died on the front lawn. Legend has it a barefoot Union soldier was killed on the lawn in the middle of the night. He's been looking for his boots ever since.

In her blog, Day recounts the first time she saw the chandelier begin to shake, causing the Waterford Crystal to jingle. She couldn't explain it away in a home with no heat or central air. Day said this incident was what made her want to gather equipment and ghost hunt as an adult, something now she does every month.

Day goes on to recount hearing sounds similar to people pulling out chairs, slamming fists on the table, running up and down the stairs, and even arguing.

“I grew up thinking the things you heard or caught glimpses of were normal,” she explained. “When you're a baby growing up with phenomena, it's a part of 'normal' physics, like when a kid throws a ball in the air and it comes back down. They don't ask why. Well, a couple times I saw things move on their own and it seemed normal. I didn't question it. I was older when I realized it was unusual.”

The strange incidents didn't stop, even after the family moved out of the estate. Her father, brother and sister died in a span of 11 years, all under bizarre circumstances. Oddly enough, the new tenants insisted that they saw her father at an outdoor dinner party while he was physically lying on his deathbed in an Arizona hospital.

Day isn't the only one with stories to tell.

Former owner Joanne McGregor told the Burke connection: “He’s a good ghost, just a little clumsy."

Bob Garfield published an article in an 1996 edition of the Washington Post about his time on the estate, claiming the ghost stories were the creaks and groans of an old house. But he couldn’t offer a very plausible explanation as to how a set of cabinets were ripped out of the wall with only his young daughter as a witness.

Today, the house is inhabited by realtor Betsy Rutkowski, who in 10 years has only heard the occasional footstep on the stairs. Twice the overhead light in the master bedroom turned on in the middle of the night, she said. Oddly enough, both Rutkowski’s stepdaughters and Sharon Day felt the same sensation of a “ghost” touching them on the feet in their sleep.

“We found out about the ‘ghosts’ after we made the offer,” she said. “I loved the house so much, I told myself we would live amongst ‘them’ and would not bother ‘them’ if they did not bother us.”

Although Rutkowski has yet to read the blog, she occasionally exchanges emails with Day, who likes to check in on the ghosts of her past. She believes her deceased family is now there in spirit.

“My ultimate dream,” Day wrote. “Is to go there (Aspen Grove) for a hunt with my team, the right equipment and a film crew to document a hunt like no other; a predetermined hunt with spirits waiting and willing to make contact.”

It seems Day will have to wait to fulfill this desire, as Rutkowski wants no part in the exploration.

“I am open to folks visiting the house for history’s sake and appreciation,” she said. “But I would absolutely not like the idea of conjuring up spirits, ghosts… I would not want to disturb any peaceful souls.”
Attachments:
GUWG Cover JPG.jpg

Halloween storytelling night spotlights local lore in Fairfax
Posted by: George Mason events ()
Date: October 28, 2013 08:55AM

Halloween storytelling night spotlights local lore in Fairfax
George Mason event offers chance to share a scary story
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20131025/NEWS/131029408/1064/halloween-storytelling-night-spotlights-local-lore-in-fairfax&template=fairfaxTimes

Beware walking by Mason Pond, or you might be beckoned by the resident ghost.

Local lore tells of a heartbroken student at George Mason University who walked into the campus pond and drowned. Now his ghost beckons unsuspecting passersby into the water.

“Only at night,” reassured Debra Lattanzi Shutika. Lattanzi Shutika, professor of Folklore Studies at the university, said this tale has become a perennial favorite at the program’s annual Halloween storytelling night.

This year, “Spooky Stories” will be held from 8 to 10 p.m. Wednesday in the Gold Room at the Johnson Center on George Mason’s Fairfax campus. While the free event is hosted by the student-led Folklore Roundtable, all are encouraged to come, armed with their own scary tales.

Of course, some prefer just to listen, but most attendees decide to share, according to Lattanzi Shutika. Some tell well-known short stories by authors such as Edgar Allen Poe, but most weave their own, whether based on a local legend or a more personal supernatural encounter.

Fairfax County locals enjoy sharing the story of the Bunny Man, which has been retold at every Halloween event. However, each year brings a different twist, according to Kerry Kaleba, a native of Burke and 2012 graduate of the master’s program in folklore.

“It’s the one thing that Fairfax County has, and it always comes up,” Kaleba said. “It’s something that I remember from high school, and no one seems to keep the story straight.”

People usually agree that the Bunny Man lives by an eerie railroad overpass in Clifton often called “Bunny Man Bridge.” But the legend earned his moniker in different ways, depending on the teller. Some say he leaves dead rabbit skins by the overpass; others say he wears a large bunny suit and wields a hatchet.

However, while stories such as the Bunny Man or the ghost of Mason Pond may have a tenuous — or nonexistent — basis in reality, that does not stop people from telling them.

“It might not be completely true, or true at all, but to the community it makes sense and people accept it,” said Kim Stryker, a current student in the folklore master’s program. “It’s not about whether something is true or correct or accurate in some empirical way. It’s about for the person telling the story.”

Getting together to tell scary stories has a rich tradition, according to Stryker. When people would stay out late reaping the harvest, or churning apple butter at orchards, they often would stoke bonfires and take turns spinning yarns.

These events connect with people, according to Joy Fraser, a professor in the Folklore Studies program, because it allows them to test the boundaries between the real world and the unexplained. But whether the attendees talk about a dorm room poltergeist or a specter of a deceased relative, they also are taking a risk.

“It’s quite a brave thing to do, because you don’t know how people are going to respond,” Fraser said. “What do people think? Do they look at you like you’re mad? But usually at the event, other people are quick to jump in with their own experiences.”

“Spooky Stories” often becomes an interactive, collaborative experience. Rather than have one person in the role of storyteller, here the audience chips in.”

Because of the unique atmosphere provided at these storytelling events, Kaleba has not been able to stay away, even after graduating.

“You want something other than pumpkins and candy around Halloween,” Kaleba said. “It’s really nice to have a moment around Halloween to talk about things that are actually scary.”

Posted by: Liz_1 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 12:18PM

This is a picture taken from the Virginian Review several years ago. Excuse the graininess, I tried to get original but couldn't. This is a house in Iron Gate, VA about 20 or so miles from Covington. About 4 hours drive from Fairfax.

See if you can detect any images for I can see an old woman holding a baby, a ''dark'' boy in the yard, part of a man's suit, a dog laying on porch and something looking out the window.

Judge for yourself.
Attachments:
103957_3212s.jpg

Posted by: ???? ()
Date: October 28, 2013 01:29PM

Liz_1 Wrote:
> This is a picture taken from the Virginian Review
> several years ago. Excuse the graininess, I tried
> to get original but couldn't. This is a house in
> Iron Gate, VA about 20 or so miles from Covington.
> About 4 hours drive from Fairfax.
>
> See if you can detect any images for I can see an
> old woman holding a baby, a ''dark'' boy in the
> yard, part of a man's suit, a dog laying on porch
> and something looking out the window.
>
> Judge for yourself.

I just see a shitty old house. :)

Posted by: I ()
Date: October 28, 2013 10:34PM

Posted by: Christina_1 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 07:24AM

My brother lives in an apartment on Church Street in Staunton and has recently told me about his apartment being haunted by an evil presence. This ghost has shown itself to 4 different people now and has become physical with my brother's girlfriend. Covering her mouth and pinning her down when she is trying to sleep. They have even spoken with a professional medium and he has told them not to stay there at night anymore if they don't have to.

Needless to say my brother has plans on moving ASAP.

Posted by: LoKick ()
Date: October 29, 2013 10:59PM

Why has no one mentioned Squirrel Hill in Oakton, VA?! Built circa 1700, it's the oldest continuously lived in property on the East coast. Apparently it was a farmette owned by George Washington himself. It's said to be haunted by a young girl who had lived and died there named Pearl Kitchen. The property is pretty cool, it backs up to Wayland Street Park. There's currently major renovations being done but you can still see the original house.
Attachments:
Squirrel Hill.jpg

Date: October 30, 2013 08:35AM

LoKick Wrote:
> Why has no one mentioned Squirrel Hill in Oakton,
> VA?! Built circa 1700, it's the oldest
> continuously lived in property on the East coast.
> Apparently it was a farmette owned by George
> Washington himself. It's said to be haunted by a
> young girl who had lived and died there named
> Pearl Kitchen. The property is pretty cool, it
> backs up to Wayland Street Park. There's currently
> major renovations being done but you can still see
> the original house.

Thanks, I've lived here all my life and never had even heard of this place before.

I found this online from Nancy Kitchen, who was looking for information about her relatives. http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=719&p=surnames.kitchen

Look what someone posted...

Hi I live at Squirrel Hill in Oakton, at the turn of the 20th century it was called Kitchen's Place. Are you familiar with the House? I beleive your ancestor's lived here, after marrying into the Waples family. If your interested in seeing the place please email me at squirrel.hill@hotmail.com. Just thought you would be interested. My friend bought this place from a Lady named Mary Kitchen I believe, it is supposedly haunted by little Pearl Kitchen. -Myke

Posted by: Michael99 ()
Date: October 30, 2013 08:42AM

My parents live on a farm in Purcellville, VA. People that have stayed there say they have heard a baby cry in the house and have seen figures of people dated from back in the civil war walking around outside at night.

Posted by: HL1991 ()
Date: October 31, 2013 07:40AM

Not in Fairfax anymore, I now live downtown in the White Rock section of Lynchburg. We bought our home last year. Of course our home is a fixer-upper and when we started remodeling things started happening. My two-year-old's bedroom was in my current office till I got his room painted and while in my office he would tell me that Grandpa came to see him last night, asking him where did grandpa go he would point to the closet and say there.

Other things have happened in our home, we can walk into the office and step into a strong perfume scent that you can tell an older woman would wear. We have heard footsteps up and down our hallway at night. I've had my husband come out of the bathroom mad at me because he said I was banging on the door and wouldn't answer him when he asked me what!

I had to explain to my husband that it wasn't me and that I had been sitting on the sofa the whole time. Also had tons of things happen in the kids room. After getting it remodeled and getting my boys moved in it there is a metal baby gate at the door, I've heard the gate rattle like someone didn't see it and ran into it. Thinking that it's my oldest climbing it I've told him to go to bed and a few minutes later I'll hear him scream and cry out in the night. Go to see what's wrong and he's ok.

On the same night I heard the gate rattle again, again I tell my son to go to bed and a few minutes later he screams out again. As I go check on him this time one of his toys went off and said goodbye. Now this toy hasn't worked in months because the batteries are dead. I've also had other random toys of theirs go off.

Had my oldest son tell me grandma or grandpa comes to play with him. So yes we do have a ghost or two, they don't really bother us, we see them as family and they tend to enjoy playing with our boys. I have had to ask them to come back and play with them during the day and not late at night because the boys sleep at night and the ghost seems to understand and they don't bother the boys at night that often. I enjoy them here and I'll randomly talk to them when no one is here and I feel that my ghost are.

Ghosts of Centreville
Posted by: craigtmonroe ()
Date: October 31, 2013 08:20AM

Ghosts of Centreville
http://craigtmonroe.wordpress.com/category/history-of-centreville-va/

Thousands of Civil War soldiers died in Centreville from disease and wounds.
The historic preservation community is aware of several unmarked graves.
The Union soldier shown in this picture was removed from the McDonalds on Route 28,
at roughly where the drive through sign is today.
Erosion in the yards of homes in Centreville is always revealing historical artifacts.
Some artifacts date back to PaleoIndian times.
Should you find anything of a historic nature, please contact me, or anyone with the Friends of Historic Centreville.
Attachments:
civilwarsoldiers.jpg

Re: A Haunting Revisited
Posted by: Jon222 ()
Date: November 01, 2013 12:14PM

I lived right by the back entrance to Hidden Pond which is the end of Greeley Boulevard from 1975 until 1984. That park was the stomping grounds for my friends and me day and night. There used to even be a dilapidated pier there over by the open brick house with the fireplace. During the summers we were there almost every day and night. We made tree forts, ground forts, and spent many nights camping out all over the park/pond avoiding the ranger from the parks office/museum. We roamed all the trails on our dirt bikes which went all the way back past Pohick Creek by the cliffs near Orange Hunt even under the Old Keen Mill Road Bridge to Rolling Valley Mall. It is safe to say I know the place.

In 1975 there was a gravel road which started on Rolling Road almost at a 45-degree angle from the Rolling Road Mobil Station (the next right turn is Rivington Road) called Morris Road. It ended right by Hidden Pond Park. This is now called Kenwood Avenue. There were two shack-like houses at the end, one up the hill on the left which was demolished and one intact at the very end of the road at the bottom of a steep hill. My friends and I used to play around there and hunt for cool old stuff and found old photos, knick knacks, cone top beer cans, and things. We heard many creepy strange sounds coming from that house when it was occupied and after it was abandoned. We NEVER saw the occupants, only this mean dog whom we would run from. I do not know if anyone remembers this place but if you do please respond. Older kids would be in the woods there partying at night, and we would spy on them from afar. Then we noticed other people around watching them too. We thought they were parents or nosy neighbors, but they were all different sizes and seemed too oblivious of one another. We never heard a twig or leaf crunch as they moved. One night we tried to follow a few of them, and they either disappeared into the woods or at the edge of the park by the house at the end of Morris Road.

Posted by: annie in annandale ()
Date: November 03, 2013 05:28PM

This was in 1985 - I was walking on Americana Drive near the ped bridge to Wakfield and I noticed strange lights and heavy mist coming from the woods - I remember walking across the bridge and hearing screams - I afraid yet needed to figure out what was going on. I was young and rather stupid... I crept on my belly and watched as see through people (ghosts) were fighting with each other. I got up and ran back home... This all happened at around 2 am. I really wondered what I saw that night - but that curtailed my night walks.

Pages: PreviousFirst...23456789101112AllNext
Current Page: 7 of 12

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.