HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567All
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Official 2011 Capitals Thread - Dale Hunter Era
Posted by: Olie the Samoli ()
Date: April 29, 2012 10:17AM

Bottom line, defense fell apart and Holtby couldn't save them as he had an average night. Gonna be a short series if the D plays like their asleep like they did yesterday. let's hope Hunter can get this ironed out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: April 29, 2012 10:23AM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Gordie Howe, Mark Messier, Bobby Orr, Joe Sakic,
> Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky and Steve Yzerman
> were considered great players not only becuase of
> their stats but because at multiple points in
> their careers, they put their teams on their backs
> and laid down a performance that carried the game,
> the series and eventually the Cup. Ovechkin either
> needs to step up and start dominating the game
> with multiple goals and controlling the pace or
> the hype machine needs to STFU when it comes to
> trying to convince us how good he is.

Yzerman's last Cup in 2002 - he was playing on one leg. His knee was basically out of alignment, bone on bone and all kinds of shit.

Date: April 29, 2012 02:04PM

Yesterday felt like old times. The defense left Holtby on an island to get massacred by the Rangers. It would be nice if they could finally get over this second round playoff choke shit, but it's looking doubtful based on yesterday's dismal performance in the 3rd Period.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Caps Jihadist ()
Date: April 29, 2012 03:22PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Gordie Howe, Mark Messier, Bobby Orr, Joe
> Sakic,
> > Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky and Steve Yzerman
> > were considered great players not only becuase
> of
> > their stats but because at multiple points in
> > their careers, they put their teams on their
> backs
> > and laid down a performance that carried the
> game,
> > the series and eventually the Cup. Ovechkin
> either
> > needs to step up and start dominating the game
> > with multiple goals and controlling the pace or
> > the hype machine needs to STFU when it comes to
> > trying to convince us how good he is.
>
>
>
> Yzerman's last Cup in 2002 - he was playing on one
> leg. His knee was basically out of alignment,
> bone on bone and all kinds of shit.

Yup, the word warrior comes to mind for sure.

Remember 1997???...Yzerman steals the puck from Gretzky in double overtime and rips a slapper past Jon Casey to beat the Blues. (Ok, so clearly that was Yzerman's game and series to put on his back and win and not Gretzky's apparently...)

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: April 30, 2012 07:45AM

Olie the Samoli Wrote:
> Bottom line, defense fell apart and Holtby
> couldn't save them as he had an average night.
> Gonna be a short series if the D plays like their
> asleep like they did yesterday. let's hope Hunter
> can get this ironed out.

this definitely looks like its going to be another tight defensive series and if its going to be low shooting who ever scores first will win the game. Also, Holtby might be in trouble. I think the guy is little high strung and performs better in high shooting intense games. If the Rangers are going to be eeking out 14 shots a game, the dude is going to be unfocused from boredom. Yeah, the D could've done more to support him, but he should've had those.

The refs really blew the tripping call on the rangers in the first. The offending Ranger's stick never touched the puck Johansson clearly had his feet taken out by the play. Looked like a no brainer and NOT only did the refs miss the call they moved the face off to outside the zone, wtf? I don't get it.... If it had been Penalty shot, or even power play the Caps could've been first on the board and the whole dynamics of the game change.

The analysts are annoying. Since halfway throughout the Boston series they kept saying, along with Caps Jihadi that (during the very low scoring Boston series) that Backstrom and Ovie needed to step up and that 4th liners needed to step to score more goals. Ok, fine but it was low scoring series but the caps got it done. It seemed to me the goals were spread out as evenly as possible given how few of them there were.

WTL is right, it felt like the old choke fest because statistically the Caps out played the NYR except where it counts the most. Green, semin, and Ovie all had chances to be heros but choked when given the opportunity. Hopefully that was just the 1st game jitters and the guys are more focused tonight. Hunter should bench semin for the game after the stupid penalty's.

Again, whoever scores first, has the momentum and probably wins the game. If the Caps go into Verizon down two games in the series i think they lose this thing in 5. Which sucks, because the NYR are a surprisingly underwhelming team. They don't really impress me other then Lundqvist, who is solid but thats about it.

Date: May 01, 2012 07:20AM

They found a way to win, Holtby stood on his again making key saves and especially the breakaway on Krieider. For some reason I wasn't surprised to see that happen with the way the D has been playing.

Instead of Semin acting the fool Mike "Boner" Green stepped up to fill the role.

Who is running their conditioning program? The Caps are terrible when its 4 on 4 and in general it seems like they are always half a step behind. I can't even remember when the last time a Capital was able drive the puck around and circle the opponents net. I used to think they were a fast skating team but it just seems like they're out hustled more times then not.

It would be nice if the Caps can protect home ice and win 3 straight before ending the series.

Date: May 01, 2012 08:05AM

Caps steal another one. Outskated and relying on Holtby is going to make for a nerve-racking series. The Caps spend way too much time in their own zone (and have throughout the playoffs). How many times can they clear the puck and it ends up 2 feet from Holtby right in front of the crease and still get a win? Luck is with the Caps because their play isn't cutting it from what I'm seeing (other than Holtby). Still, good to see Ovie hit with that wicked wrist shot. An ugly win, but a win nontheless.

Date: May 01, 2012 09:35AM

Well, the Caps played well enough to win once again and nothing more. And frankly, they got lucky...and I don't mean that to sound negative. There aren't many goaltender's that give up a 55ft. wrister and Lundqvist would be near the bottom of that list. And yet, Ovechkin scored it.

I agree that Mike Green looked horrible AGAIN last night. He was well into his fourth shift before he even completed a pass up-ice. He is also trying to make too many home-run passes up the gut instead of keeping the puck wide. One of his attempts nearly clicked off someone's heel into the Caps net. My 8 year old nephew clears the zone better than 52.

I've never thought that a game 2 in a 7 game series could be defined as must win but that's what the Caps had last night. A 2-0 NYR advantage would have been devastating. I will say that one of the benefits to winning so ugly and so tightly is that it's much harder for the losers to "put the loss behind them". NYR was the better team last night and they have got to be shaking their heads, as the Bruins still are over their series, that they lost that game.

Kudos to Mike Knuble for the goal AND for the overall hustle. There was a play where Del Zotto had the angle and a jump and Knoobs still beat him to the puck to negate icing. Mike Knuble is 39 years old. Mike Del Zotto was born 6/24/90.

I don't like how the Caps are playing (shocker...I know) but, I guess it doesn't matter. They are winning and I can't deny them their due. In closing, I'm tired of hearing about Ovechkin's ice time. He hasn't played well. Dale Hunter has made it clear that if you don't play well...well, you don't get to play. This should not be news to fans. I'm sure it's not news to players.

Date: May 01, 2012 10:43AM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> Well, the Caps played well enough to win once
> again and nothing more. And frankly, they got
> lucky...and I don't mean that to sound negative.
> There aren't many goaltender's that give up a
> 55ft. wrister and Lundqvist would be near the
> bottom of that list. And yet, Ovechkin scored it.

True but the caps have two skaters in Ovie and Semin who have the shots to pull it off more then once. He caught Lunqvist moving around in a screen to find the puck and threaded the shot between the elbow and body.

>
> I agree that Mike Green looked horrible AGAIN last
> night. He was well into his fourth shift before he
> even completed a pass up-ice. He is also trying to
> make too many home-run passes up the gut instead
> of keeping the puck wide. One of his attempts
> nearly clicked off someone's heel into the Caps
> net. My 8 year old nephew clears the zone better
> than 52.

I don't get it, he looked really sharp the first few games in round one, going end to end now he's back to being Boner. I think he's thinned skinned and few hit early on gets him off his game.

>
> I've never thought that a game 2 in a 7 game
> series could be defined as must win but that's
> what the Caps had last night. A 2-0 NYR advantage
> would have been devastating. I will say that one
> of the benefits to winning so ugly and so tightly
> is that it's much harder for the losers to "put
> the loss behind them". NYR was the better team
> last night and they have got to be shaking their
> heads, as the Bruins still are over their series,
> that they lost that game.

Call me crazy but with Holtby style in between the pipes, the Caps are almost better off being out shot by a handful. Just dont give up break aways, excess oddman rushes and the D needs to clear out the trash.

> Kudos to Mike Knuble for the goal AND for the
> overall hustle. There was a play where Del Zotto
> had the angle and a jump and Knoobs still beat him
> to the puck to negate icing. Mike Knuble is 39
> years old. Mike Del Zotto was born 6/24/90.

I agree nice to see a grizzly vet beat a young buck in a foot race. Hamrlik, PAY ATTENTION!!!

>
> I don't like how the Caps are playing (shocker...I
> know) but, I guess it doesn't matter. They are
> winning and I can't deny them their due. In
> closing, I'm tired of hearing about Ovechkin's ice
> time. He hasn't played well. Dale Hunter has made
> it clear that if you don't play well...well, you
> don't get to play. This should not be news to
> fans. I'm sure it's not news to players.

+ 1. Give Ovie less ice time, perhaps he'll make better use of that ice time???? Also, i think Ovie dives a lot when breaking for the net and its really getting old and tired. He's a big dude, just drive to the F'ing net without falling.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: May 01, 2012 11:18AM

It's frustrating as hell. As soon as the Caps have a lead, they sit on it and play defense. Eventually, it starts to look like they are on a power play even though it's 5 on 5. Soon thereafter, a goal is scored by the opposing team. Then, the Caps break out the 1st/2nd line again and try to score. It works, but barely and good god is it tough to watch! Especially when it goes to OT!

Hope the Caps can step it up, make some adjustments and take the series in 5 or 6. With all the shots they’re blocking, hits they’re taking, and games they’re playing they may be starting to lose steam (well, except for old man Knuble!).

Let’s go Caps!

Date: May 01, 2012 11:39AM

To add one more thing... Dale Hunter has already done better than Bruce Boudreau did a year ago. The Caps are already ahead of the game from where they were last season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1167679-nhl-playoffs-2012-dale-hunter-is-on-his-way-to-securing-the-caps-coaching-job

Date: May 01, 2012 11:49AM

I could be wrong but can't help think Hunter is a Boom then Bust coach at best. If not for the early success of Boudreau's win streak this season, the Caps probably wouldve missed the playoffs. As of now Hunter came in with the right change of direction at the right time.

He needs to go all the way this year to be considered successful. Othwerwise I can see them struggling around .500 in the next up coming regular season with him at the helm. His style is hard to sustain wins for an 82 game season and painfull to watch to boot.

Date: May 01, 2012 12:48PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> I could be wrong but can't help think Hunter is a
> Boom then Bust coach at best. If not for the early
> success of Boudreau's win streak this season, the
> Caps probably wouldve missed the playoffs. As of
> now Hunter came in with the right change of
> direction at the right time.
>
> He needs to go all the way this year to be
> considered successful. Othwerwise I can see them
> struggling around .500 in the next up coming
> regular season with him at the helm. His style is
> hard to sustain wins for an 82 game season and
> painfull to watch to boot.

This may be true for a couple of reasons as I see it..

#1 Nine times in nine games the Caps have been up by a goal and failed to hold on. Thankfully, they've managed to bounce back (like last night). I agree that while it seems to be working in the playoffs, it’s not a good recipe for (regular season) success. God forbid they get down by two goals, they cannot come back from that like they did under B.B.. The Caps are offensively challenged, have been all year.

#2 I think to really maximize success, Hunter needs personnel more suited to this style of play.

That said, defense wins championships and they are playing lots of it. They are 2nd in the playoffs with blocked shots. That says a lot for this team.

Date: May 01, 2012 01:07PM

More Complete Wrote:
>
> #1 Nine times in nine games the Caps have been up
> by a goal and failed to hold on. Thankfully,
> they've managed to bounce back (like last night).
> I agree that while it seems to be working in the
> playoffs, it’s not a good recipe for (regular
> season) success. God forbid they get down by two
> goals, they cannot come back from that like they
> did under B.B.. The Caps are offensively
> challenged, have been all year.
>

Yeah I'm really getting tired of the excuses for lack of offense.. "Is Ovie still hurt (for the 3rd straight season)"......"Green needs to get his game back"...."Semin just hasn't had his break out game yet but shows flashes"..."Backstrom still suffering from hit (this might be true)".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 01:25PM by Hay Zeus.

Date: May 01, 2012 01:37PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Yeah I'm really getting tired of the excuses for
> lack of offense.. "Is Ovie still hurt (for the 3rd
> straight season)"......"Green needs to get his
> game back"...."Semin just hasn't had his break out
> game yet but shows flashes"..."Backstrom still
> suffering from hit (this might be true)".

I believed a lot of this sort of thing before the playoffs. I even said so in this thread "They need Backstrom back", "Wait till Green gets healthy", so on, and so forth.

Granted, they've been better since everyone got healthy, but they don't blow anyone away offensively and it's apparent that it's mainly due to the “defense first” "Hunter Hockey".

It's weird because I read so much about his team in London, Ontario being a goal scoring powerhouse when he was coach.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: May 01, 2012 01:42PM

The Rangers forwards are flying past our defensmen making them cry and eating their ice chips. look at the wrap around on Green. Holtby has a flaw in his game not sticking to the post. If the rangers see that and exploit it its bad news. Our slow as fuck D cant keep up with the Rangers speed. Those two things need to be addressed by back checking by the forwards. Alex O is playing less minutes cuz he stands around and watches plays develope and tries to skate down the left, cut to the middle and use the D as a screen to shoot. Well the rangers and everyone else figured that out a long time ago and defend him. he needs to get another move in his playbook and fast.

Date: May 01, 2012 02:02PM

More Complete Wrote:
>
> Granted, they've been better since everyone got
> healthy, but they don't blow anyone away
> offensively and it's apparent that it's mainly due
> to the “defense first” "Hunter Hockey".
>
> It's weird because I read so much about his team
> in London, Ontario being a goal scoring powerhouse
> when he was coach.

I don't know of anything from Hunters club in Ontario as i was never much of a scholar but I think its easier to be successful at the lower levels with run and gun offenses. Especially if there is a good off ice training/conditioning program. Find raw players and develop them. Sometimes coaches just get lucky with that kid who can daggle like Hendricks with the speed of Ovie and can literally dominiate the ice.

At the pro-level and especially the NHL its harder to create a talent gap from your opponet. Perhaps Hunter figured it would be futile to come in with another high scoring offense and concluded logically to go with a defensive style.

The Caps are getting beat more times than not in foot races, which is why there might be an issue with the trainers and conditioning programe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 02:04PM by Hay Zeus.

Date: May 01, 2012 03:37PM

ferfux Wrote:
> The Rangers forwards are flying past our defensmen
> making them cry and eating their ice chips.

I don’t think anyone on the Caps roster was crying last night. Rags fans? Yes. Capitals players? No.

> look at the wrap around on Green.

Green played terrible last night. The Rangers were targeting him early and often and it worked. It’s no secret, hit Green repeatedly and he wilts.

> Holtby has a flaw in his game not sticking to the post.

Holtby had a good game but it was not his best. He owes the pipes a beer or two. You know what really matters though? The result.

> Alex O is playing less minutes
> cuz he stands around and watches plays develope
> and tries to skate down the left, cut to the
> middle and use the D as a screen to shoot.

Yes, he’s a cherry picker. That’s nothing new. Say what you want about Ovi’s ice time, look at his shot total, look at the G column in the stats. Again, results are what matter.

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> I don't know of anything from Hunters club in
> Ontario as i was never much of a scholar but I
> think its easier to be successful at the lower
> levels with run and gun offenses. Especially if
> there is a good off ice training/conditioning
> program. Find raw players and develop them.

Make sense.

> The Caps are getting beat more times than not in
> foot races, which is why there might be an issue
> with the trainers and conditioning programe.

Perhaps but it looked to me the real issue was that the Rags were playing a two-man forecheck that was keeping the Caps frustrated in their own zone. It was similar to what Tampa did to sweep out the Caps last year. Tortorella is no dumby.

Date: May 02, 2012 07:25PM

I like our odds if winning this game 3 more then I did vs Boston. With that said, I won't be disappointed with a loss......unless it's a blow out.

Date: May 03, 2012 12:10AM

Go figure

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 12:17AM by Hay Zeus.

Posted by: TheNorthman ()
Date: May 03, 2012 12:19AM

yeah that one sucks.

Date: May 03, 2012 08:40AM

Wait...an overtime home game in the playoffs and they lose? Shocker...

Those Washington Capitals...they're like the PLO, you know? They just NEVER miss an opportunity to MISS an opportunity. Yeah, yeah...I know, I know...as a jihadist I should be saying things like, "Well, in the grand scheme of the series, this is just one game. One very LONG game that the Capitals lost but still it's just one game." Except that it's the Washington Capitals and it's never about just one playoff game. It's about repeated, systemic, epic and preventable playoff failures. How do you break our hearts? Let us count the ways...

Alexander Semin is the most undisciplined professional hockey player the globe has ever seen. Who the fuck has the puck stripped and then slashes the opposing player RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE REF...IN THE PLAYOFFS...IN OVERTIME?!?!? I'm sure even the ref was thinking, "Holy shit, you idiot Cossack...thanks for making me pull my whistle out of my pocket..." Alexander Semin, that's who.

Let's not forget...he's played nearly SEVEN full seasons in the NHL and is still pulling this crap, always at critical moments. The thing of it is, one used to be able to overlook it because he once scored 40 goals in a season but, not anymore. What an epic fucking turd...

Some would say the series is over. While I admit my disappointment, I still feel victory is possible. However, if they lose game 4 and send the series back to NYC at 3-1, they're done. I also think this playoff scheduling is horseshit. It used to be games 1 and 2 were on back to back nights, then a day off for travel, then games 3 and 4 were on back to back nights, then another day off for travel, then game 5, travel day, game 6, travel day and game 7.

Now, because NBC wants as many games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday...there's two days of rest between games 3 and 4? Perhaps the Rangers can all go on a DC Ducks Tour and drown...I understand this is a business decision to drive ad revenues to weekend broadcasts of what is still considered a regional sport by most of America in order to off-set rising broadcast licensing fees but, at this rate, playoff games will only be played on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Date: May 03, 2012 09:43AM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> Wait...an overtime home game in the playoffs and
> they lose? Shocker...

They were great in the 1st OT, pretty much dominated but crumbled more and more each one there after. After 5min into the 2nd OT it was really felt as though we were waiting as the Caps were saying a few final words before the beheading and drawing them out.

>
> Alexander Semin is the most undisciplined
> professional hockey player the globe has ever
> seen. Who the fuck has the puck stripped and then
> slashes the opposing player RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE
> REF...IN THE PLAYOFFS...IN OVERTIME?!?!? I'm sure
> even the ref was thinking, "Holy shit, you idiot
> Cossack...thanks for making me pull my whistle out
> of my pocket..." Alexander Semin, that's who.

I dunno, the refs haven't exactly been consistent on what is "tripping". I thought he was trying to play the puck. He didn't exactly use the blade of his stick and yank the guys leg. But yeah Semin had earned the reputation of being a shit head like that.

>
> Let's not forget...he's played nearly SEVEN full
> seasons in the NHL and is still pulling this crap,
> always at critical moments. The thing of it is,
> one used to be able to overlook it because he once
> scored 40 goals in a season but, not anymore. What
> an epic fucking turd...
>
> Some would say the series is over. While I admit
> my disappointment, I still feel victory is
> possible. However, if they lose game 4 and send
> the series back to NYC at 3-1, they're done. I
> also think this playoff scheduling is horseshit.
> It used to be games 1 and 2 were on back to back
> nights, then a day off for travel, then games 3
> and 4 were on back to back nights, then another
> day off for travel, then game 5, travel day, game
> 6, travel day and game 7.

Agree that its not over, but will be if they lose 2 at home. The one thing they have going for them are the 2 days off until the next time. To lose like that has to be emotionally draining.

>
> Now, because NBC wants as many games on Friday,
> Saturday and Sunday...there's two days of rest
> between games 3 and 4? Perhaps the Rangers can all
> go on a DC Ducks Tour and drown...I understand
> this is a business decision to drive ad revenues
> to weekend broadcasts of what is still considered
> a regional sport by most of America in order to
> off-set rising broadcast licensing fees but, at
> this rate, playoff games will only be played on
> Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I was thinking about that, wonder if the Rangers just went back to NY? If it was late Saturday game, it would definitely make sense but who knows....

Date: May 03, 2012 10:12AM

They faught hard. Hell of an effort by both teams. Would have been epic if they won, they didn't. Heartbreaking. For a loss, I'm not feeling that terrible.

Posted by: capsfan ()
Date: May 03, 2012 10:37AM

"Perhaps the Rangers can all go on a DC Ducks Tour and drown..."

LOL +100

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: May 03, 2012 10:52AM

More Complete Wrote:
> They faught hard. Hell of an effort by both teams.
> Would have been epic if they won, they didn't.
> Heartbreaking. For a loss, I'm not feeling that
> terrible.

This. We lost, but it doesn't feel that way after being treated to 110 (or so) minutes of edge of your seat hockey.

Date: May 03, 2012 12:55PM

Gonads & Strife Wrote:
> More Complete Wrote:
> -----
> > They faught hard. Hell of an effort by both
> teams.
> > Would have been epic if they won, they didn't.
> > Heartbreaking. For a loss, I'm not feeling that
> > terrible.
>
>
> This. We lost, but it doesn't feel that way after
> being treated to 110 (or so) minutes of edge of
> your seat hockey.

Its one thing to comeback from being down 3 goals or more OR be down 1 goal for most of the game THEN force a game into multiple overtime periods losing in the 3rd OT. However, If you're a Capital and the game was even for almost 6 solid periods and to lose tight close game like that, i think you're emotionally drained for 48-72 hours.

Date: May 03, 2012 10:33PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/someone-threw-catfish-nashville-ice-girl-scooped-her-023304778.html

I know...not about the Capitals but, since they're off today and tomorrow, I thought I'd post the above link to share and discuss. I've always thought the octupus on the ice tradition in Detroit was one of the strangest events in sports. Cool but, strange. But, of course, too much of a good thing and they ruined it. It used to be it was only to be thrown out on the first Red Wing goal of the first home game. Now they come out all the time...

And now, Nashville has gotten into the act with catfish. However, as if that's not enough it's one of the ice girl's jobs to retrieve it. What is a Nashville Predator Ice Girl you ask? Well, you'll have to watch the video but, off-hand I'd say Ted has some re-tooling to do when it comes to our Red Rocker chicks...

Date: May 05, 2012 03:31PM

The Capitals indeed gutted out another must win game today reducing the series to a best of 3 with at least one more game on home ice. Too much of the game is still being played in their end, their shotblocking was superb and it was nice of the 52 to finally decide to show up.

Date: May 07, 2012 01:52PM

The game Saturday was great with Ovi, Backtrom, and Green getting the goals. Backstrom's goal was fantastic, I could watch it 100 times.

They seem to have trouble winning more than one game in a row though so I fully expect a loss tonight.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: May 07, 2012 01:55PM

best moment of the game Backstrom See Anisimov coming at him in the corner. Backstrom Elbow checks that bitch to the ICE and SCOOOOOOORES.

Date: May 07, 2012 02:40PM

ferfux Wrote:
> best moment of the game...

Exactly. That was awesome.

Date: May 07, 2012 10:33PM

If i were Holtby, i'd walk off the ice and kick the shit out of ward.

.....I can't take it anymore, these games are to painful to watch and there are to many of them....just end it already...

Posted by: fcit ()
Date: May 07, 2012 11:09PM

Ward...I just don't even know what to say. So fucking stupid. Dumb bitch costs two goals in two minutes, one with six seconds left. Fuck this team. I'm not watching on Wed. Fuck this.

Date: May 07, 2012 11:14PM

C'mon everyone sing along...I know you know this one..."Cock-suckers...heartbreakers...THE CAPS!"

Holy Christ...how many fucking ways is this team going to break its fans hearts? I'll post the results in a few weeks but, I'm working on a carefully researched essay on the team and the city which has experienced the most professional sports failure. The Buffalo Bills and the Cleveland Indians are up there but, I have to believe our Washington Capitals are going to take the cake.

Right before Ward took that double-minor I was thinking..."Wow...you can't even enjoy the games they win because they play it so close to the vest..."

Once again, where were Semin, Backstrom, Ovechkin and Green tonight? Ovie had an assist but offensively, the Caps failed to close the game out on 2 separate odd-man rushes both involving Ovechkin. The first was the 2-on-1 with Semin where everyone in the building knew Semin was going to pass and Girardi caught a piece of it and the second was the 3-on-1 where Ovechkin grabbed Carlson's stick off the bench. Both of those rushes should have been goals.

As for Mike Green...he is playing scared. Perhaps I would be too after his concussions but, there was a play near the end of the game where instead of fundamentally skating through the puck and getting it out, he jams on the breaks (makes the play) and got rocked on his ass. He's tentative, passive and largely ineffective.

Holtby and the PK are the only things keeping the team on life support. They now have to beat the best team in the East and the best goalie twice. Fortunately, game 6 is a home game. Lundqvist's catching glove is suspect. He's given up 2 goals in this series off the leather.

If they had to lose tonight and if they had to lose in OT, it's best that it happened early and wasn't another multiple OT loss. They need to keep the youth of NYR from getting the game to OT.

And just so I'm clear now and not mis-quoted later...a loss by this Caps team in this series is not a choke. They are a 7 seed playing a 1 seed and they never lead in the series, merely matched victories. There were (or should not have been) no expectations from this team other than, "Well, they squeaked into the post-season...let's see what they can do..."

Date: May 08, 2012 08:00AM

This one has to rest squarely on Ward. No excuse for that penalty with less than a minute to go. Swingly wildly and then going high. What an a-hole. Hero one series, goat the next.

Wideman still sucks royally. Even when he decides to actually try and go after someone, they easily skate around him. Ovie playing decent defense so kudos to him for stepping up.

Defense standing arond on the game winner. No one was even on a man. Pathetic. NY steals a game they should have lost. That's been the Caps MO the entire playoffs. Winning two is going to be hard, but not impossible.

Still think the refs are favoring NY, but not enough to cost the Caps the game. Ward's still an a-hole.

Date: May 08, 2012 10:49AM

Jesus that hurt.

Posted by: flainlag ()
Date: May 08, 2012 07:46PM

OK, I think we'll lose. Sure, we're fucking chokers and Joel Ward is a gooddamn idiot. But what if we win tomorrow. We can definitely win two in a row. Shit, we almost did. So let's win this thing tomorrow. We can do this.

Date: May 08, 2012 09:20PM

flainlag Wrote:
> OK, I think we'll lose. Sure, we're fucking
> chokers and Joel Ward is a gooddamn idiot. But
> what if we win tomorrow. We can definitely win two
> in a row. Shit, we almost did. So let's win this
> thing tomorrow. We can do this.

Yeah, what he said!

Date: May 09, 2012 07:03AM

NJ bests Philly 3 games to 1.

Not that the Caps would have beat Philly but proves my point of how VERY beatable Philly was going into the second round.

Date: May 09, 2012 09:49AM

More Complete Wrote:
> They seem to have trouble winning more than one
> game in a row though so I fully expect a loss
> tonight.

Even my reverse psychology juju couldn't save the Caps. That was one of the most devastating losses I’ve experienced as a sports fan in some time. Payback is a bitch.

Date: May 09, 2012 10:28AM

More Complete Wrote:
> More Complete Wrote:
> -----
> > They seem to have trouble winning more than one
> > game in a row though so I fully expect a loss
> > tonight.
>
>
> Even my reverse psychology juju couldn't save the
> Caps. That was one of the most devastating losses
> I’ve experienced as a sports fan in some time.
> Payback is a bitch.

Well this is where i say i usually like the Caps, whith their backs up against the wall. However, i'm not so sure this time. Joe Ward better turn into John Druce and score a fucking hatrick to redeem himself for what he did on monday.

I think whoever wins this series will go to the Cup finals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 10:41AM by Hay Zeus.

Date: May 09, 2012 11:10AM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Well this is where i say i usually like the Caps,
> whith their backs up against the wall. However,
> i'm not so sure this time. Joe Ward better turn
> into John Druce and score a fucking hatrick to
> redeem himself for what he did on monday.
>
> I think whoever wins this series will go to the
> Cup finals

Well we'll all find out soon enough. They tend to bounce back well but I'll be watching the game at a friend house and every time I've watched a game there the Caps have lost. I'm trying to find a polite way to tell him that he and/or his house has bad juju.

I really, really want the Caps to win this one and take it to game 7. No one wants to lose a series on home ice, that just sucks.

Date: May 09, 2012 04:22PM

Well, I must be insane but...I'm headed down to see the "handshake" in person tonight...And hey hockey fans, good seats are still available.

Here's my game day perspective...As mentioned above, Holtby has not lost back to back games this postseason. Additionally, from NYR's perspective if the Caps win tonight, game 7 is a formality and the Caps will take the series. If you are NYR, you've had to win a game in 3-OT's and a game in which you scored with :06 left in regulation and another goal in OT and your opponent is still here.

Lundqvist was quoted as saying after game 5 that he looked up with :10 left and thought, "Well, we'd better get ready to face these guys down 3-2..."

NYR won game 5 on a HUGE error by Ward. Yes, they had to go out and score two goals but if Ward doesn't take that penalty NYR loses. Go Caps!

Date: May 09, 2012 04:46PM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> Well, I must be insane but...I'm headed down to
> see the "handshake" in person tonight...And hey
> hockey fans, good seats are still available.
>
> Here's my game day perspective...As mentioned
> above, Holtby has not lost back to back games this
> postseason. Additionally, from NYR's perspective
> if the Caps win tonight, game 7 is a formality and
> the Caps will take the series. If you are NYR,
> you've had to win a game in 3-OT's and a game in
> which you scored with :06 left in regulation and
> another goal in OT and your opponent is still
> here.
>
> Lundqvist was quoted as saying after game 5 that
> he looked up with :10 left and thought, "Well,
> we'd better get ready to face these guys down
> 3-2..."
>
> NYR won game 5 on a HUGE error by Ward. Yes, they
> had to go out and score two goals but if Ward
> doesn't take that penalty NYR loses. Go Caps!

Awesome. I like the attitude. Also, I expect you to lose your voice. ;)

Date: May 09, 2012 05:13PM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> Well, I must be insane but...I'm headed down to
> see the "handshake" in person tonight...And hey
> hockey fans, good seats are still available.
>
> Here's my game day perspective...As mentioned
> above, Holtby has not lost back to back games this
> postseason. Additionally, from NYR's perspective
> if the Caps win tonight, game 7 is a formality and
> the Caps will take the series. If you are NYR,
> you've had to win a game in 3-OT's and a game in
> which you scored with :06 left in regulation and
> another goal in OT and your opponent is still
> here.
>
> Lundqvist was quoted as saying after game 5 that
> he looked up with :10 left and thought, "Well,
> we'd better get ready to face these guys down
> 3-2..."
>
> NYR won game 5 on a HUGE error by Ward. Yes, they
> had to go out and score two goals but if Ward
> doesn't take that penalty NYR loses. Go Caps!

When did you become the optimist and me the pessimist?

Date: May 09, 2012 10:25PM

Holtby really deserved that shut out after Monday night, but its a Win!

Posted by: TheNorthman ()
Date: May 09, 2012 10:40PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Holtby really deserved that shut out after Monday
> night, but its a Win!

Still too close for comfort.

Tortorella is, once again, an absolute charmer with the media.

Date: May 10, 2012 08:26AM

@Hey Zeus: By rotating through the optimism/pessimism circle of hell, it keeps karma guessing...

MY OH MY! What a fine evening at the good ol' hockey game we had last night, boys and girls! As Mrs. Potts would say, "There's something there that wasn't there before..." (What can I say, Jihadist, Jr. enjoys her some "Beauty and the Beast"...)

FWIW, in my lifetime of fandom, that ranks right up there as one of the best games I was in the barn to see in person. I don't know what the NYR Jihadists were saying on the NBC Sports Network but, from where I was sitting this game appeared to have the most opportunities with respect to passing, skating and shooting. I don't know if Hunter directly told them to open it up or if the game just evolved that way. After seeing Hunter's conservative style now for nearly 2 full series, it's clear the guys with a hockey stick for the letter T on their sweaters are committed to team defense. Especially when they have a lead and with mixed results as we've seen. It's even harder to watch in person.

I have been critical of Beagle but, I'm just not sure what Jeff Halpern gives you now in his career that we don't get from 82. Perhaps some experience...Oh sure, Halpern's the local kid, former captain that we brought back on a one year deal...but, this series is just too close to make a change like that on the basis of an intangible like giving the hometown boy some ice time. He certainly didn't make a positive argument for his experience with a...GULP!...Joel Ward-ian double minor for cutting Mitchell with a high stick.

I've also been critical of 44, however checking the stats last night Hamrlik leads the NHL in the post season in +/- at +8. I honestly don't know how he's done that given some of the poor decisions he's made and lack of legs but there you have it.

When they've lost in these playoffs, I've tried to say, "It's just one game..." and THEN ripping them so, it's only fair to also say after this win, "It's also just one game and they've won nothing...". A game 6 loss by the team leading a series means they've missed at least one opportunity to eliminate the opposition. Momentum is fully with the Caps now and they have to carry that into Saturday. They've been riding Holtby for a long time, perhaps too long...I'd really like to see an offensive explosion from the likes of Semin, Ovechkin, Green and Backstrom with some of those guys having 2+ points at the end of game 7.

It's been a few years since I was last at the Verizon Center...WTF? Are there no big beers on the 4th level? I went to 3 different stands last night and they were all pouring 12 ouncers. If I can't get a big beer on the 4th level, can I get a big beer anywhere? Ridiculous...at least they serve Molson Canadian.

Oh yes, I almost forgot...Chimera and not Brouwer is an ancient Canadian word that means "John Druce"...

Date: May 10, 2012 10:22AM

Can anyone tell me what Marcus Johansson does besides make drop passes after skating one stride past the blue line?

The guy has completely dissapeared

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2012 10:23AM by Hay Zeus.

Date: May 10, 2012 11:05AM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> @Hey Zeus: By rotating through the
> optimism/pessimism circle of hell, it keeps karma
> guessing...

I like your style.

> FWIW, in my lifetime of fandom, that ranks right
> up there as one of the best games I was in the
> barn to see in person.

It was a great night to be a Caps fan. I’m jealous.

> When they've lost in these playoffs, I've tried to
> say, "It's just one game..." and THEN ripping them
> so, it's only fair to also say after this win,
> "It's also just one game and they've won
> nothing...". A game 6 loss by the team leading a
> series means they've missed at least one
> opportunity to eliminate the opposition. Momentum
> is fully with the Caps now and they have to carry
> that into Saturday.

Agreed.

Date: May 10, 2012 11:14AM

God, I hope they win Saturday. I really would hate to see these fuckers collapse in game 7. I just want to be in a town with a FUCKING WINNER.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: May 10, 2012 11:34AM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what Marcus Johansson does
> besides make drop passes after skating one stride
> past the blue line?
>
> The guy has completely disappeared

It's weird. While his stats are pretty consistent, it's almost like he's playing scared. He's young, not very big, and Swedish, I don't think he likes to get hit.

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> God, I hope they win Saturday. I really would hate
> to see these fuckers collapse in game 7. I just
> want to be in a town with a FUCKING WINNER.

Join the club. I’m just trying to enjoy the win. If I think about Saturday, I start to get nervous.

Here is something cool… the Caps are the first team in NHL history to come back from 4 straight OT losses with wins in the playoffs. There is one thing even the casual observer can see about this Caps team, they don’t give up, and they don’t quit.

Date: May 10, 2012 11:38AM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> @Hey Zeus: By rotating through the
> optimism/pessimism circle of hell, it keeps karma
> guessing...

Part of my pessimisim is because I missed Game 4 while at Gold Cup. So really, in my own little world, i saw two heart breaking losses back to back and its skewed my perception of the momentum.

Clearly the Caps have out played the rangers the last two games, the NYR haven't scored an even strength goal since 1st period of game 5. All have them have been with 6th man, or Power Play.

Lundqvist drops his glove and its clear the caps recognize it.

>
> Oh yes, I almost forgot...Chimera and not Brouwer
> is an ancient Canadian word that means "John
> Druce"...

Chimera has really elevated his game this series. He simply doesn't look like a guy with speed and he might have usurped Marcus spot on 1st line, rightfully so.

Mike Emmerick has a hard on for Gaborick. His voice haunts me in my sleep now "ITS GABORIK!!", "gab..ORIK!" "GAB-RIK!!".

Its getting really annoying how clean shot that tips off the Lundqvist glove into the net was "bad luck for Rangers" yet the only goal for the Rangers,scored by Gaborik, with 30sec left in the game, which hits off the back of a Capital and redirected into the net, is "great shot" or something...wtf?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2012 11:48AM by Hay Zeus.

Date: May 10, 2012 02:56PM

I just heard a sobering statistic...NYR has never lost a game 7 on home ice. Well, there's a first time for everything...

@HeyZeus: Thanks, your style has grown on me too, pal. On Mo-Jo, More Complete is correct...he's young and Swedish and nervous. His role has changed. He handles the puck well, gets it up ice and makes good passes. None of which appears on the scoresheet. Nick needs to have him over for meatballs before Saturday and tell him he needs to go to the net more. Defensively he's a liability...and his -6 illustrates that. Speaking of +/-...Wideman -7, Schultz -7...OY!

I misspoke earlier...shocker, I know...Emrick was the voice of NJD previously and not NYR. However, he's lived in NYC a long time, the league's offices are there and the league likes him and he likes NYR. Whenever NYR is the national game, he's the lead. He's considered a classy guy away from the mic and has won every prestigious award a broacaster can win and will likely end up in the HOF. But, he's biased and really what media personality isn't anymore? My only regret when we win Saturday night will be that we'll still have to listen to him as we go on to beat NJD.

@WTL: We got a winner in this town...he lives with Michelle and their kids in a nice house downtown.

In closing, they've ridden Holtby too long and too hard. I want to see the stars on this team step it up and have huge games. A win's a win but I'd like to see GOALS from 8, 52, 28 and 19 and two or more points from ALL of those players. Do to NYR what PIT did to the Caps in 2009. Blow them out early and let Caps nation fully enjoy one of these games.

Date: May 10, 2012 03:08PM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
>
> @WTL: We got a winner in this town...he lives with
> Michelle and their kids in a nice house downtown.
>
Don't digress

Date: May 10, 2012 03:09PM

Good all around game for the Caps. Following the new DH formula of playing Ovie early, letting him score and then sitting on the lead for 2½ periods. I like it. Wideman acutally hit folks last night for the first time in the playoffs. Matt Hendricks is a frickin monster!! Kudos to him for another steady game. Too bad we don't 4 more of him. Caps didn't steal this one, they actually won it. Good game.

Carlson sucks raw eggs. That guy needs to sit down. Ovie plays better D than this jackass.

Date: May 10, 2012 03:19PM

Olie the Samoli Wrote:
>
> Carlson sucks raw eggs. That guy needs to sit
> down. Ovie plays better D than this jackass.

They don't really have one solid D-man each one has fatal flaw, whether its a bone head, age, or stupid passes.

Would it really hurt them to find one solid defenseman to compliment each one of knuckle heads?

Date: May 10, 2012 03:20PM

Olie the Samoli Wrote:
> Good all around game for the Caps. Following the
> new DH formula of playing Ovie early, letting him
> score and then sitting on the lead for 2½
> periods. I like it. Wideman acutally hit folks
> last night for the first time in the playoffs.
> Matt Hendricks is a frickin monster!! Kudos to
> him for another steady game. Too bad we don't 4
> more of him. Caps didn't steal this one, they
> actually won it. Good game.
>
> Carlson sucks raw eggs. That guy needs to sit
> down. Ovie plays better D than this jackass.

I never really paid that much attention to how Ovie plays Defense, but unless he has a chance to steal a puck, he really doesn't do much except try to get in the way of the guy he's defending against. I can see why Hunter has been sitting him when the Caps have a lead.

Date: May 10, 2012 03:33PM

>
>
> I never really paid that much attention to how
> Ovie plays Defense, but unless he has a chance to
> steal a puck, he really doesn't do much except try
> to get in the way of the guy he's defending
> against. I can see why Hunter has been sitting him
> when the Caps have a lead.

Its hard to notice whats not on camera.

When the puck transitions to the Defense way he's lollygaggling it back down from the other way and is off camera or peels off for a line change. So yeah....you or anyone else would never notice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2012 03:33PM by Hay Zeus.

Date: May 11, 2012 12:12PM

Why the pressure is on the NYR to win game 7

1. They are #1 seed
2. They are @ home, lost game 2 @ home and barely won game 5 @ home
3. The Caps beat the #2 seed (defending chaps) @ home in a game 7
4. They're the bigger market team with more eyeballs

Why the pressure is on the Caps to win game 7

1. Barry Melrose is favoring them again

edit:per MoreComplete completing my inaccurate info

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2012 01:19PM by Hay Zeus.

Date: May 11, 2012 12:59PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Why the pressure is on the NYR to win game 7
>
> 1. They are # 2 seed
> 2. They are @ home, lost game 2 @ home and barely
> won game 5 @ home
> 3. The Caps beat the #1 seed @ home in a game 7
> 4. They're the bigger market team with more
> eyeballs
>
> Why the pressure is on the Caps to win game 7
>
> 1. Barry Melrose is favoring them again

I believe the Rags are the #1 seed. Caps already beat the #2 seeded (and Cup winning) Bruins.

The Rags have never lost a game 7 at home.

In other news, Holtby just became a father. His fiancé gave birth to a baby boy yesterday. His name? Benjamin Hunter Holtby. Hope #70 can get some sleep. He's going to need it.

Date: May 11, 2012 01:26PM

More Complete Wrote:
>
> The Rags have never lost a game 7 at home.

NYR beat Ottawa, at home in a game 7, other then that different teams from different years.

Caps beat a very good Bruins in Boston in a game 7. I say its a wash.

If it were Cups finals, game 7 and the NYR won 2 other series in a game 7 at home then i'd consider it a meaningful stat.

The Caps
>
> In other news, Holtby just became a father. His
> fiancé gave birth to a baby boy yesterday. His
> name? Benjamin Hunter Holtby. Hope #70 can get
> some sleep. He's going to need it.

Its his Fiance NOT his wife....of course he got some sleep.

Date: May 11, 2012 01:31PM

@ MoreComplete

I was thinking back to our conversation about Hunter being a viable successful regular season coach after the post season ends.

We don't give the guy enough credit. He knows hockey and has to be cognizant that a shot blocking air tight D system cant be sustained throughout the regular season.

If he hangs around for next season it will be interesting to see if he brings out a more balanced or slightly more offensive focused system.

Date: May 11, 2012 01:45PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> NYR beat Ottawa, at home in a game 7, other then
> that different teams from different years.
>
> If it were Cups finals, game 7 and the NYR won 2
> other series in a game 7 at home then i'd consider
> it a meaningful stat.

Good points.

> Its his Fiance NOT his wife....of course he got
> some sleep.

Lol. I don’t know man, having a kid is a high like no other, especially the first one. Hopefully, that energy works in his favor.

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> @ MoreComplete
>
> I was thinking back to our conversation about
> Hunter being a viable successful regular season
> coach after the post season ends.
>
> We don't give the guy enough credit. He knows
> hockey and has to be cognizant that a shot
> blocking air tight D system cant be sustained
> throughout the regular season.
>
> If he hangs around for next season it will be
> interesting to see if he brings out a more
> balanced or slightly more offensive focused
> system.

I think you’re on to something here. They weren’t blocking shots at this rate throughout the season. They were however learning a defense first strategy and it seemed to affect their ability to score goals. That said, you have to also remember how long Backstrom was out, I thought that had a lot to do with the offensive struggles.

To me, the best thing Hunter has done as coach is to mature these guys mentally. They seem much more focused and less ho-hum attitude wise the way they were under Bruce. It’s noticeable both on and off the ice and I think it has/will go a long way to making them a better team. In the end, you’ve got to give Hunter another year but like I said, he would benefit from a few more players who fit better into his system.

Date: May 11, 2012 02:00PM

More Complete Wrote:
>
> Lol. I don’t know man, having a kid is a high
> like no other, especially the first one.
> Hopefully, that energy works in his favor.
>
If it were me i'd remind her "I'm only on the hook for child support NOT alimony"
>
>
> I think you’re on to something here. They
> weren’t blocking shots at this rate throughout
> the season. They were however learning a defense
> first strategy and it seemed to affect their
> ability to score goals. That said, you have to
> also remember how long Backstrom was out, I
> thought that had a lot to do with the offensive
> struggles.
>
> To me, the best thing Hunter has done as coach is
> to mature these guys mentally. They seem much more
> focused and less ho-hum attitude wise the way they
> were under Bruce. It’s noticeable both on and
> off the ice and I think it has/will go a long way
> to making them a better team. In the end, you’ve
> got to give Hunter another year but like I said,
> he would benefit from a few more players who fit
> better into his system.

From all the interviews of players, the team responds well to his calm, cool and in control demeaner.

Thinking back as much as fans like to see the flippant emotionally out of control coach on the sidelines or behind the bench, the most successfull coaches appear calm and in control during the games like a Belichek, Bowman, or Jackson. I'm not saying Hunter is at that level but if it worked for them it can work for Hunter.

Date: May 11, 2012 05:26PM

Damn, I'm not getting any work done thinking about this game...and chatting with you "clowns"...

Congratulations to Braden Holtby and his fiancee on the birth of their son. I would've thought she'd wait on "pulling the goalie" though until after the season had ended...I'm also surprised at the lack of outrage by the media about an athlete fathering a child out of wedlock but then, most media don't know what hockey is, Holtby's white and she is his fiancee.

Lawker was on the radio today saying the only thing he'd change is the shot blocking scheme. He thought the Caps needed to reign in the shotblocking and let Holtby see more shots and mentioned the goal off a deflected block attempt that fooled Holtby. I like Craig and I miss not hearing him on the TV broadcasts but, I just think he's looking for something to talk about. I thought I heard Melrose say the Caps lead the league this playoffs in blocked shots. Regardless, it's game 7 tomorrow night and in 13 playoff games this season, they've had one shot go in off of a deflected block attempt...why would you think changing the scheme and letting Holtby see even more shots is the way to go?

And honestly, Hunter has spent the ENTIRE playoffs getting guys to play his system and lay their bodies out there to block shots...why would you un-do all the good faith you've built in your players and suddenly abandon that which got you to another game 7 this season?

Finally, Beagle is being reported as having a lower body injury and is a game time decision and Halpern is ready to go. I do not think he is injured but is being benched for motivational purposes. Then again, if he's being benched for motivational purposes there's other guys in front of him on that criteria (Marky-Mark Johansson...I'm looking at you). Thoughts on this?

Date: May 11, 2012 06:09PM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> Damn, I'm not getting any work done thinking about
> this game...and chatting with you "clowns"...
>
> Congratulations to Braden Holtby and his fiancee
> on the birth of their son. I would've thought
> she'd wait on "pulling the goalie" though until
> after the season had ended...I'm also surprised at
> the lack of outrage by the media about an athlete
> fathering a child out of wedlock but then, most
> media don't know what hockey is, Holtby's white
> and she is his fiancee.

He's also Canadian. This is a typical arrangement in Moosejaw Canada.

>
> Lawker was on the radio today saying the only
> thing he'd change is the shot blocking scheme. He
> thought the Caps needed to reign in the
> shotblocking and let Holtby see more shots and
> mentioned the goal off a deflected block attempt
> that fooled Holtby.

While in principal I agree with Locker about allowing Holtby to see more shots but the GAA are insanely low. So if it aint broke, dont fix it. So it "backfired" once, its got us this far.

> I like Craig and I miss not
> hearing him on the TV broadcasts but, I just think
> he's looking for something to talk about. I
> thought I heard Melrose say the Caps lead the
> league this playoffs in blocked shots. Regardless,
> it's game 7 tomorrow night and in 13 playoff games
> this season, they've had one shot go in off of a
> deflected block attempt...why would you think
> changing the scheme and letting Holtby see even
> more shots is the way to go?

Again if the games were 3-4, 4-3, 3-1 ok i see Lockers point, but their not. Leave well enough alone

>
> And honestly, Hunter has spent the ENTIRE playoffs
> getting guys to play his system and lay their
> bodies out there to block shots...why would you
> un-do all the good faith you've built in your
> players and suddenly abandon that which got you to
> another game 7 this season?
>
> Finally, Beagle is being reported as having a
> lower body injury and is a game time decision and
> Halpern is ready to go. I do not think he is
> injured but is being benched for motivational
> purposes. Then again, if he's being benched for
> motivational purposes there's other guys in front
> of him on that criteria (Marky-Mark
> Johansson...I'm looking at you). Thoughts on this?

There isn't anything Beagle has done or didn't do off the top of my head to warrant a benching. If he isn't 100% just sit him, Halpern played fine and the team didn't seem to miss him.

Date: May 11, 2012 09:44PM

Halpern played fine? Why do you say that? Because his stupid double minor didn't cost us the game the way Ward's stupid double minor did?

Date: May 12, 2012 08:27AM

We interrupt this thread to bring you tonight's pre-game speech from Herb Brooks...

"Great moments are born from great opportunity. And that’s what you have here tonight boys. That’s what you’ve EARNED here tonight. One game…
We’ve played ‘em six times and they’ve won three. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we skate with ‘em. Tonight, we stay with ‘em and we shut them down because we can! Tonight, we are the best hockey team in the world.
You were born to be hockey players…every one of ya’. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time…is done. It’s over.
I’m sick and tired of hearing what a great hockey team New York has. Screw ‘em! This is your time. Now go out there and take it!"

Date: May 12, 2012 08:46AM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> Halpern played fine? Why do you say that? Because
> his stupid double minor didn't cost us the game
> the way Ward's stupid double minor did?

Good Morning,

I kind of forgot about that.

Although I think the double minors are little excessive

Date: May 12, 2012 09:58AM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> -----
> > Halpern played fine? Why do you say that?
> Because
> > his stupid double minor didn't cost us the game
> > the way Ward's stupid double minor did?
>
>
> Good Morning,
>
> I kind of forgot about that.
>
> Although I think the double minors are little
> excessive

Well if it's a high stick that makes contact or doesn't make contact but is adjudged dangerous by the ref (see Avery comma Sean), it's 2:00. If it draws blood it's 4:00. That, in my view, is not excessive.

What IS excessive in my view is that it's classified as a double minor meaning a goal scored in the first two minutes by the team with the man advantage means they still get an additional two minutes on the power play. I'd like to see the rule revised to say 4:00 fine, but if there's a goal in the first two minutes then that's it...no more power play.

Of course, refs would likely just find a way to tack on another 2:00 thus protecting the final minutes of the PP but, the potential for two PP goals (and it happens with enough frequency on those 4:00 calls) when a guy gets cut, patched up and is back on the next shift is ridiculous. Now if the guy's eyeball and optical nerve are dangling from the end of someone's stick...that's another story...

Date: May 12, 2012 10:06AM

Don't want to sound like a homer, but I've said it in a previous post, the refs are tilting slightly to NYR IMO. Certainly no more than a 60/40 tilt. Not horrible, but noticable. So once a game, a tripping against the Caps will be incidental for the Rangers, or a double minor for the Caps will be just a minor for NY. Bigger media market and a Battle of the Hudson is what the league wants.

Date: May 12, 2012 11:10AM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
>
> What IS excessive in my view is that it's
> classified as a double minor meaning a goal scored
> in the first two minutes by the team with the man
> advantage means they still get an additional two
> minutes on the power play. I'd like to see the
> rule revised to say 4:00 fine, but if there's a
> goal in the first two minutes then that's it...no
> more power play.

Agree

@ Olie

It is naive to think that Leagues don't have a preference for game match ups because some match ups do create better expose and that means more stacks and stacks of cold hard cash. At the end of the day its a business not a pure sport governing body.

A LA vs NY Cups finals would be good exposure. Two large cities from each coast with different types of fan bases. Also the NHL wouldn't mind seeing Phoenix win a cup either and get top dollar offloading the franchise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2012 11:11AM by Hay Zeus.

Date: May 12, 2012 08:16PM

1st period update: I hope the scorers give Carlson an assist on Richards goal. He impeded Holtby's glove. Along with Green, the two biggest losers for the Caps so far in the series.

Date: May 12, 2012 08:19PM

Stay Cool, Staaaay cool!

Date: May 12, 2012 10:02PM

FUCK!!!!!!!

Posted by: hay ()
Date: May 12, 2012 10:03PM

at least you still have a black president

Date: May 12, 2012 10:05PM

Watch the Rangers win the Cup....DAMN IT!

Its been great talking to ya'll....see ya next season

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2012 10:29PM by Hay Zeus.

Date: May 12, 2012 10:06PM

Fucking fuckers made me care. That makes it worse. Fuck!!!!

Date: May 12, 2012 10:34PM

> Fucking fuckers made me care. That makes it worse.
> Fuck!!!!

Thats right, the Capitals are like the girl that WTL didn't know he loved until after she dumped him

Posted by: Fucking Shit Fuck ()
Date: May 12, 2012 10:48PM

I like how Alex Ovechkin is considered a superstar but does dick tonight, except give up our second goal. Thanks, Ovie! You shithead! Are you some sort of KGB agent to bring down the Caps. Superstar my ass.

Posted by: wait til next year ()
Date: May 13, 2012 12:31AM

Attachments:
universal-choking-sign.jpg

Posted by: FusilliJerry ()
Date: May 13, 2012 01:51AM

All the top Euro players loafed a good bit during the series at times. Backstrom had a shitty back check on a couple goals, just as bad as Ovechkin tonight. Even Semin, who had been having a decent series was loafing in the corners tonight. When you get beat to pucks, you are going to lose games more than you win them, like the 4 games they lost.

At some point McPhee has to be held accountable for the team and it's inability to play and wind in the playoffs. He has been here far too long and with very little to show. Add on top some bust, big dollar contracts like Wideman, Hamerlik, and I would start adding in Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin as well after the last couple years.

Date: May 13, 2012 09:01AM

FusilliJerry Wrote:

> At some point McPhee has to be held accountable
> for the team and it's inability to play and wind
> in the playoffs. He has been here far too long
> and with very little to show.

"Very little to show"? The team went to the Cup finals in 1998 under GM GM. That's farther than anyone else has taken the team as a GM. I'm not saying he should be GM for life but, to say there's been very little to show is simply inaccurate.

@wait til next year You can troll the thread all you like with your choke pics but, this wasn't a choke.

When you consider where the Caps were at when Hunter took over, and the fact that most people did not expect them to qualify for the playoffs and the fact that they didn't do so until the final week of the regular season and the fact that they knocked off last year's Cup champs and Conn Smythe trophy winner and the fact that Neuvirth got hurt at the end of the year and they had to go with rookie, Holtby well...last night was a tough loss but it had a low devastation factor.

In a seven game series, you know when it's over that the best team won. A seven game series doesn't come down to one shift, one play, one penalty, one bad call, one goal or one save. The Caps didn't lose this series, they were beaten. They didn't hand it away, they made NYR earn it.

What's disappointing this season is that if they could've beaten NYR they would've laid waste to NJD in 4 or 5 games. It was a perfect path to the Cup finals.

Priorities for next season include:
1) Stripping the "C" from Ovechkin. Leadership and skill are mutually exclusive. Besides, he doesn't even speak English how can he be expected to communicate with officials and non-Russian teammates as a captain?
2) Benching players who loaf or are otherwise disinterested
3) Adding a "Cam Neely" power forward or coaching up someone currently to crash the net consistently
4) Adding a "Chris Pronger" stay at home defenseman who can clear the net. Goals scored on the first shot are the goalie's fault. Goals scored off of rebounds are the defense's fault for not clearing the puck/man.

Date: May 13, 2012 09:47AM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
Not a choke but disappointing none the less. They were a Joel Ward double minor from moving on, i don't care what anyone says.

>
> Priorities for next season include:
> 1) Stripping the "C" from Ovechkin. Leadership and
> skill are mutually exclusive. Besides, he doesn't
> even speak English how can he be expected to
> communicate with officials and non-Russian
> teammates as a captain?

I've been on that bandwagon for years. But who on the team? It doesn't make sense bring someone in who hasnt been on the team for at least a season.

> 2) Benching players who loaf or are otherwise
> disinterested

You mean the Europeans? Yeah European hockey players make great accessories but not whole outfits....not in this league.

> 3) Adding a "Cam Neely" power forward or coaching
> up someone currently to crash the net
> consistently

Amen, almost every NYR goal was from the result of man being on top of the crease.

> 4) Adding a "Chris Pronger" stay at home
> defenseman who can clear the net. Goals scored on
> the first shot are the goalie's fault. Goals
> scored off of rebounds are the defense's fault for
> not clearing the puck/man.

Or coach up Mike Greene

Date: May 13, 2012 03:41PM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:

>
> Priorities for next season include:
> 1) Stripping the "C" from Ovechkin. Leadership and
> skill are mutually exclusive. Besides, he doesn't
> even speak English how can he be expected to
> communicate with officials and non-Russian
> teammates as a captain?
> 2) Benching players who loaf or are otherwise
> disinterested
> 3) Adding a "Cam Neely" power forward or coaching
> up someone currently to crash the net
> consistently
> 4) Adding a "Chris Pronger" stay at home
> defenseman who can clear the net. Goals scored on
> the first shot are the goalie's fault. Goals
> scored off of rebounds are the defense's fault for
> not clearing the puck/man.

Disagree with #1. There's no one better on the team and he's still the best player they've got. Yeah, he doesn't speak English very well, but he got this by leading with his play. Ovie is an emotional player. Strip him of his C and he'll cave.

Disagee with #2 (SOMEWHAT). Cut 'em. DH got to see who he can count on to play and who's loafing. Time to get some DH-style players and get rid of the window dressing (Backstrom, Semin to start)

Totally agree with #3. Brouwer looked like he could be that guy, but he'd get the biscut right in front with no one around but the goalie and........ pass it out to Ovie who'd put it over the net. Knuble is too old and Laich has lost his touch. Hendricks can create havoc, but doesn't look to score enough IMO.

Agree with #4. They need a Chara type player who just skates around kicking butt as well (but doesn't take the penalties in critical times). Is there anyone on the Caps that the opponents really fear is going to clean their clock? Not anymore. And that's DH style play.

An above average defense and the Caps would have won the cup this year for sure.

Date: May 13, 2012 04:29PM

@HeyZeus: Obviously, I'd have to have the benefit of seeing day-to-day how the roster interacts but, based on what we've seen since he's been here I like Jason Chimera as the captain.

Despite the fact that I am racially biased against European players, I was not singleling them out specifcally with respect to loafing/benching. They were the biggest offenders but, I'd like to see equal opportunity benching of loafers, regardless of tenure and/or salary.

You can't coach size so, a guy like Mike Green will never be able to sweep the crease. Perhaps Chris Pronger is the wrong model since he has BOTH the physicality AND the puckhandling/shooting. Chara is the better model. A big, strong stay at home defenseman who let's it known that there's a price to pay for camping in front of our net. And yes...avoidance of the stupid penalties would also be a requisite. Mark Tinordi was a guy from the past that would also serve as a model for that roster spot.

@Olie: Just because Ovechkin is the most skilled player on the team and has a big contract and has been here awhile does not qualify him to be captain. There's a lot of intangibles that go with being a captain that don't show up on the scoresheet. I do think he showed a lot of character in having his ice time reduced while publicly putting on a good face about it. The team needs more from a captain. He would still wear an "A" were I coaching.

LMFAO! Yes, I should have also made it clear that if the Caps can get value for 19, 52, 28, 6 or even 90 they should be traded. Knuble had a nice run here. He's done. Laich, too.

Date: May 14, 2012 01:53PM

Hunter out as head coach. Who's next I wonder.

Date: May 14, 2012 02:01PM

Crossing my fingers for Reggie Dunlop

Date: May 14, 2012 02:03PM

Oops, didn't see there was another thread on this...

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/40/908168.html

I'm with you HZ.

Pages: Previous1234567All
Current Page: 7 of 7

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.