HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Official 2011 Capitals Thread - Dale Hunter Era
Posted by: Caps Jihadist ()
Date: January 18, 2012 01:53PM

I also read in the Post where Hunter was quoted as saying he is encouraging Sieve-koun to handle the puck more...

Perhaps this is good advice if your team is averaging lots of goals for and you're looking for a bump on that however, mistakes by a goaltender handling the puck typically lead to goals against.

A goaltender's #1 job is puck stoppage. Once Vokoun demonstrates that CONSISTENTLY...THEN and ONLY THEN can we look at ways he can help the defense with moving the puck in, around and out of their own end.

Fundamentally, this group of hi-strung millionaires shockingly needs to get back to fundamental (read: NORTH AMERICAN-style) hockey. Right now, they aren't impressing or scaring anyone. Certainly not the Boston Bruins...but hey, we'll keep rockin' that fuckin' red won't we, Ted?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: January 18, 2012 02:13PM

I think what it comes down too is lack of locker room leadership not enough guys are motivated.

There is enough talent on this team that any run of the mill system should be fine so that everyone is on the same page.

If they fail to get into the playoffs this year then blow the whole thing up.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: January 18, 2012 04:04PM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also read in the Post where Hunter was quoted as
> saying he is encouraging Sieve-koun to handle the
> puck more...
>
> Perhaps this is good advice if your team is
> averaging lots of goals for and you're looking for
> a bump on that however, mistakes by a goaltender
> handling the puck typically lead to goals
> against.
>
> A goaltender's #1 job is puck stoppage. Once
> Vokoun demonstrates that CONSISTENTLY...THEN and
> ONLY THEN can we look at ways he can help the
> defense with moving the puck in, around and out of
> their own end.

Disagree. Veteran goalies are all about reacting to situations they have seen thousands of times, they don’t need to think. I don’t want him reinventing the way he plays. He shouldn’t be thinking “don't play the puck, don't play the puck” it gets him off his game and may explain his shaky first few months.

I like that Hunter has given him the reigns and ended the competition with Neuvy, it helps his confidence. He was brought in to be the starting goalie. Trying to have a goalie competition when Neuvy was coming off 4 straight playoff loses wasn’t a good way to start the year.

In any case, he can’t bail the Caps out of every game. Even in the home games they’ve won team just isn’t putting enough shots on goal.

I’ll watch the game tonight just too see some payback on Bourque for the Backstrom hit. Erskine should be in and there will be a guaranteed fight tonight. They need to goon it up, I’m talking a bench clearing brawl!!!

Date: January 18, 2012 04:13PM

http://deadspin.com/5877241/the-hockey-gods-will-have-their-bloody-vengeance

The Hockey Gods Will Have Their Bloody Vengeance

Earlier this month, Calgary winger Rene Bourque gave a dirty elbow to the head of Washington's Nicklas Backstrom. The Caps' leading scorer has been out ever since with a concussion, and Bourque was suspended five games by the league. But that's not justice. That's The Man's justice. The Capitals demand street justice, the only justice there is.

"It was head shot. It was kind of on purpose," Alex Ovechkin said. "If I had got a chance to get on the ice I would have said something to [Bourque]," John Erskine said.

Troy Brouwer lamented that the Caps don't have another game against the Flames until next season: "It's one of those things where it kind of sucks because we're not able to play them again this year."

But wait: the Hockey Gods are cruel, and they are kind. Last week the Canadiens shipped malcontent Mike Cammelleri to Calgary, in exchange for you-know-who. So tonight, Rene Bourque and Montreal will be paid a visit by a very angry Capitals team.

"Hopefully, there's nothing residual," said Habs coach and foolish man Randy Cunneyworth. There will be blood. And bloody residue.

Posted by: Coke Zero ()
Date: January 18, 2012 04:20PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> I think what it comes down too is lack of locker
> room leadership not enough guys are motivated.
>
> There is enough talent on this team that any run
> of the mill system should be fine so that everyone
> is on the same page.
>
> If they fail to get into the playoffs this year
> then blow the whole thing up.

It's really hard to score when you're pinned in your own end for 70% of the game. It doesn't matter how motivated they are if they're not strong enough to hold on to the puck. If the team isn't turning it over on Rex Grossman style passes, they're getting knocked off the puck by rampaging tumbleweeds. By this point, it almost seems like they're afraid of the puck. As soon as they get it, they're throwing it somewhere else...

Until they figure out how to actually control it, they're not going to be able to do anything...

Date: January 18, 2012 05:50PM

Coke Zero Wrote:
> Hay Zeus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think what it comes down too is lack of
> locker
> > room leadership not enough guys are motivated.
> >
> > There is enough talent on this team that any
> run
> > of the mill system should be fine so that
> everyone
> > is on the same page.
> >
> > If they fail to get into the playoffs this year
> > then blow the whole thing up.
>
> It's really hard to score when you're pinned in
> your own end for 70% of the game. It doesn't
> matter how motivated they are if they're not
> strong enough to hold on to the puck. If the team
> isn't turning it over on Rex Grossman style
> passes, they're getting knocked off the puck by
> rampaging tumbleweeds. By this point, it almost
> seems like they're afraid of the puck. As soon as
> they get it, they're throwing it somewhere
> else...
>
> Until they figure out how to actually control it,
> they're not going to be able to do anything...

Its all about personal motivation, its about grit. It about digging into your fucking corner and coming out with the puck almost every time. Its about rushing to keep a puck in the zone even though you know you're going to rocked, its about holding onto the puck right before getting the snot knocked out you. Its about stopping hard and not gliding around.

Do that every time and you will win more games then you will lose.

Hockey is game with lots of small games going on.

Date: January 18, 2012 06:44PM

More Complete Wrote:

> In any case, he can’t bail the Caps out of every
> game. Even in the home games they’ve won team
> just isn’t putting enough shots on goal.

Ok, now this here...is EXACTLY the kind of fundamental hockey I'm talking about. This team is entirely too good (theoretically) to need a goalie to steal games for them. If the opponent scores 8, the Caps should score 9. Hunter needs to break out Edmonton Oilers footage from their 1986-87 season.

Date: January 19, 2012 10:00AM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> Ok, now this here...is EXACTLY the kind of
> fundamental hockey I'm talking about. This team is
> entirely too good (theoretically) to need a goalie
> to steal games for them. If the opponent scores 8,
> the Caps should score 9. Hunter needs to break out
> Edmonton Oilers footage from their 1986-87 season.

Agree. Hunter seems entirely content to settle in and play nothing but defense with a 1 goal lead. That isn't going to cut it.

Glad to see them finally get a convincing win on the road. However, I still get the feeling it’s a house of cards unless changes are made.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: January 19, 2012 01:01PM

They won last night. Played with real energy. They staved off a 6 man power play. If thats not playing with grit then I dont know what is. The new guys scored goals which is good sign for the future. Borque was taken care of. ALthough he handily won that fight at least there was retribution of a sort. Id like to see him get rocked for real. If the new guys and Ovi are scoring goals and Micheal N is shutting out the other team its all good. At least it was the Caps on this side of a 3-0 game rather than losing the the Islanders 3-0. Those games against teams outside the playoffs gotta get all the 2 points they can to keep pace with Flo-rida.

Date: January 19, 2012 01:32PM

They must have read my post and were inspired.

Posted by: My Name ()
Date: January 19, 2012 02:37PM

ferfux Wrote:
> They staved off a 6 man power play.

Considering you're allowed a total of six players on the ice when at full strength, I have no clue how you'd kill off a 6 man power play... All your players would be on the bench... The other team could leisurely skate in and put the puck into the empty net and nobody would be able to stop them.

That being said, the Canadiens power-play is pretty bad. I could see them being so inept that they couldn't score even without the opposing team on the ice.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: January 19, 2012 03:47PM

I think they meant a 6 attackers power play against their 4...but I didn't watch the game so I don't know.

Date: January 19, 2012 04:55PM

More importantly, the Caps killed off all seven Montreal power play chances on the night, including an ultra-rare triple-minor to John Erskine early in the third and a phantom delay of game call on Ovechkin near the midway point of the final frame.

“Especially that six-minute penalty kill,” begins Neuvirth, in lauding the Caps’ shorthanded outfit tonight. “It was a long time. But the guys did an outstanding job blocking shots and play the price, and that’s what it takes to win hockey games sometimes.”

Date: January 21, 2012 12:47PM

Terrible effort last night. No energy, sloppy passing, skating, etc. They looked like they didn't care. One of the most pathetic efforts I've seen from this team. As if the lack of offense wasn't bad enough, their fundamentals are starting to slip.

Date: January 22, 2012 03:00PM

If these turds can pull a road win vs the Pens then anything is possible as long as they can limp their way into the post season.

Date: January 22, 2012 03:10PM

Damn it!

Date: January 22, 2012 07:24PM

first period was a bust, but I thought we played better in the 2nd and third...a little pissed at the lack of defense and continued inability to clear the puck without icing it every time.

Date: January 23, 2012 08:46AM

Yeah first period sucked, good energy in the 2nd and 3rd. Missing Backstrom and Green, I'll take the point on the road.

Date: January 24, 2012 07:09AM

Two roster moves the caps should make over the all star break is cut Roman Hamrlik and dare i say...Mike Knuble.

Mike Knuble is turning 40 this year and has a -9 which is second worst on the team and overall procduction is way down from last year. I think age age finally caught up with.

Roman Hamrlik is another older guy on the team, i don't understand why they signed him this year and never thought he brought anything to the team. He is one of the biggest draft flops in the NHL,is true journeyman, non native english speaker and am suspect of the "veteran leadership" he's supposed to bring. I'd like to see a real blood guts defenseman take his place.

Date: January 24, 2012 10:16AM

Not a fan of the Hmerlik signing but he's played better the last few weeks. I like Knuble okay though, he was strong last year in the playoffs.

Ovi suspended 3 games for illegal hit during Sunday's game. Wonder if he'll go to the all star game.

Date: January 24, 2012 11:09AM

I agree Knuble was good in the playoffs...last year. At his age, its hard to attack the puck in the corner on a consistant basis, which is what Hunter is looking for more of.

Posted by: Alex Ovechkin ()
Date: January 24, 2012 02:21PM

I suspended from regular season, I feel suspended from All Star Game.

Instead of Ottawa, I get dick sucked in Cancun.

Enjoy cold, bitches!

Date: January 24, 2012 03:54PM

The Caps will not win the Cup this season. Of course, given how high our expectations have been since 8's arrival and watching them time and again shit the bed so many beautiful ways, perhaps having such low expectations now means this is EXACTLY the kind of team that could indeed put it together finally...

Nah...the Caps will not win the Cup this season.

Either way...I'm still down at that fucking "phone booth" watching...

Date: January 24, 2012 04:05PM

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=613276

Here's the video of Ovechkin's hit...(sorry, my embedding skills suck)

Based on what I see and the way the rules are written, I have no issue with a 3 game suspension.

What I do have an issue with is that the league does not CONSISTENTLY enforce this rule (and MANY others). I see this kind of hit typically 2-3 times per game and sometimes more and the only time it's ever called a penalty or a suspension is typically given out is when the receiving player is injured.

I don't care how they enforce it. You wanna' call it tight? Fine. You wanna' let things go? That's fine, too. 1 league...1 set of rules. And that's the same set of rules for minute 1 of period 1 to start the regular season and the final minute of a game seven Cup final overtime.

Date: January 24, 2012 05:11PM

Agree Caps Jihadist. The other problem I have with the Ovi suspension is this: Repeat offender status goes away after 15 months, per the CBA. The NHL can’t reference Ovi's history if it has been longer than 15 months since his last reprimand, which it has. Based on the CBA, Ovi should have been treated as a first time offender. B. Shanahan overstepped his bounds, and alluded to Ovi being a repeat offender in his reasoning for the suspension. Ovi should file a NHLPA grievance. This may be the reason Ovie is not taking part in the All-Star game: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=613450

Anyway, I fully expect the Caps to get destroyed by Boston tonight. :(

Posted by: BrandonGMU ()
Date: January 24, 2012 05:15PM

George McPhee doesn't deserve to have a career in the NHL. He only hangs around because Ted is too big of a pussy to fire either of that kike Abe's gm hires.

Date: January 24, 2012 05:17PM

The Caps will not get destroyed by Boston tonight. Damnit.

Date: January 24, 2012 05:30PM

ferfux Wrote:
> The Caps will not get destroyed by Boston tonight.
> Damnit.

A true fan speaks! Damn it! I take it back! Screw Boston!

Date: January 24, 2012 09:35PM

More Complete Wrote:
> ferfux Wrote:
> -----
> > The Caps will not get destroyed by Boston
> tonight.
> > Damnit.
>
> A true fan speaks! Damn it! I take it back! Screw
> Boston!

5-3 ; )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 09:36PM by ferfux.

Date: January 24, 2012 09:37PM

Gotta love any win over a New England team in any sport. Chowder guzzling faggots.

Date: January 24, 2012 09:48PM

Oddly enough their next home again is also against the Bruins on Super Bowl Sunday.

Date: January 25, 2012 09:42AM

No Ovi, No Backstrom, No Green, No problem! Atta boy Perrault!

:)

Date: January 25, 2012 10:06AM

I was having similiar thoughts today. It will be interesting to see how they play the next two road games without Ovie and Backstrom, but more so without Ovie.

Give other players an opportunity to step up.

Two more wins without Ovie, on the road, one of them at the Panthers would be a nice surprise.

Date: January 25, 2012 10:10AM

The Red Head Cody Eaken started the scoring then sloppy defensive play springs Perrault for the hat trick. Sweet. Notice Ovechkin didnt show much emotion in his box while watching. He was just kind of impassive. Had a straight face the whole time while his team was knocking off the Bruins.

Date: January 25, 2012 10:23AM

ferfux Wrote:
> The Red Head Cody Eaken started the scoring then
> sloppy defensive play springs Perrault for the hat
> trick. Sweet. Notice Ovechkin didnt show much
> emotion in his box while watching. He was just
> kind of impassive. Had a straight face the whole
> time while his team was knocking off the Bruins.

Eaken scored a goal in his first NHL appearence earlier in the season, a real nice one to, hopefully he will develop into a solid player.

Russians don't smile. Although Ovie did give Perrault a cream pie to the face.

Date: January 31, 2012 11:48AM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Russians don't smile.

Yakov Smiernoff does! ;)

Caps call up Joel Rechlicz.

As the American Hockey League’s leader in penalty minutes this season (184) and with 41 fights (AHL and NHL) in the past three regular seasons, according to Hockeyfights.com, Joel Rechlicz doesn’t need much of an introduction.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/dale-hunter-joel-rechlicz-gives-the-team-some-more-toughness/2012/01/30/gIQANqw9cQ_blog.html

Uh who?

Back at it tonight away vs the Lightning. They really need to get Backstrom back.

Date: January 31, 2012 02:15PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:

> Russians don't smile.

I guarantee you that when Ovechkin is going five hole on Natasha Slutskaya...he's smilin'.

Date: January 31, 2012 04:51PM

Looks like a psycopath to me.

A grinder and fighter aren't the same thing. They need a grinder not a hot head. This could just be asking for trouble.
Attachments:
imagesCADVBI18.jpg

Date: January 31, 2012 08:37PM

Has anyone ever chained a goalie to the net...? vokoun refuses to stay inside the crease.

Date: January 31, 2012 08:44PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Has anyone ever chained a goalie to the net...?
> vokoun refuses to stay inside the crease.

Been saying that for months. Hate that fucking guy and hope he gets let go at the end of the season.

Date: January 31, 2012 08:53PM

No need to hate, guy.

Date: January 31, 2012 08:55PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> No need to hate, guy.

I beg to differ, boss.

Date: January 31, 2012 09:05PM

I think you should grab a guitar and sing " vokoumb by ya" with me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 09:06PM by Hay Zeus.

Date: January 31, 2012 09:12PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> I think you should grab a guitar and sing "
> vokoumb by ya" with me.

I'll bring the Mike Green Tea

Date: January 31, 2012 10:25PM

Meh. I'll take the point.

Date: February 01, 2012 07:43AM

During the OT i kept thinking "what the fuck are they are doing".

Offensively, they didn't bother set up a break out and just made long passes across the ice.

Defensively, they acted like they were on a Penalty letting TB skate through the neutral zone without pressure.

The psychopath only played 1 min in the 1st period. Wonder if he's getting sent back to Hershey.

But really its the same story as always, they come out flat in the 2nd period, get into a hole, then have to fight back in the 3rd.

Posted by: Shrimp Fried Rice ()
Date: February 01, 2012 11:13AM

Jesus, pucks are to Carlson as sputum is to a tuberculosis patient, he keeps coughing them up.

I'm hoping he'll spend some time hanging out with Ovie in the press box tonight. He was on the ice for all four Lightning goals last night and none of the Caps goals. If that's not someone that needs a break, I don't know who does.

Date: February 01, 2012 01:03PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Has anyone ever chained a goalie to the net...?
> vokoun refuses to stay inside the crease.

Yes. The fat kid in the Mighty Ducks film was tied to the goalposts. Of course, that was so he would get over his fear of being hit by the puck and not because he roamed to far away from it.

Date: February 01, 2012 10:30PM

Considering Neuvy was scored on from center ice.....they deserved to lose to the Panthers.

Date: February 02, 2012 01:35PM

Neuvy didn't make the best of his start. This is why Vokoun is the goalie heading into the stretch.

Date: February 04, 2012 02:31PM

HA! Wicked knuckle puck by Wideman. Straight out of the Mighty Ducks 2

Date: February 04, 2012 02:47PM

...really tired of the dump and chase on the PP. I hope they eventually address their continued inability to carry a puck through center ice into attack territor

Date: February 05, 2012 01:47PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/penguins-brooks-orpik-launches-daniel-paille-massive-hit-205048441.html

I'll likely burn in hell for posting a Penguins highlight within a Caps thread and perhaps twice burn since I don't know how to embed it but...

Hey Ovechkin, this is how you lay a hit on someone in open ice. It's too bad Orpik plays in the East because this is EXACTLY the kind of player the Caps need but, they'll never trade him here. He takes his share of dumb penalties, but when you need a hit doled out to gather momentum in a game, he's the guy you send out there.

Date: February 07, 2012 11:20PM

Awesome effort tonight. Vokoun gets the shut out, Ovi scores twice and they go from a 9th seed to a 3rd if playoffs started today.

Still, they need to get 19 back on the ice and make some moves before the deadline.

Date: February 09, 2012 02:02PM

It will be interesting to see if they can back up that statement game with another solid outing against the Jets tonight. If they are going to make the playoffs, they have to start playing like it. This solid one game, crappy the next stuff has to stop. They need to play well consistently.

Bad news on Backstrom. “I hope I will be ready for the playoffs” doesn’t inspire much confidence. At this point, we’ll see Green on the ice before Nick.

http://www.japersrink.com/2012/2/9/2786769/nicklas-backstrom-i-hope-i-will-be-ready-for-the-playoffs

Really, this is terrible for the Caps. Backstrom still leads the team in points and he hasn’t played since the first week of January! I’m thinking GMGM has to get another center before the deadline. Has to. I’d bet money on it.

Date: February 10, 2012 11:24AM

Fluke loss. I hate the shoot out. It would be nice if this team could put together convincing wins back to back.

Posted by: Chokingdogs ()
Date: February 10, 2012 12:30PM

this is rapidly approaching a lost season. a lot if messageboard venom is getting pointed at hunter, at times unfairly, as he inherited a dysfunctional team, not to mention the key injuries.

but the injuries have exposed the weaknesses that had been in place long before hunter arrived. just think how this team would be faring W/O wideman? LOL with green out and carlson crapping the bed so far....yeesh.

at the end of the day though, they'll probably squeak into the post season by virtue of ( yet another glorious ) S/E title.

Date: February 10, 2012 12:52PM

Chokingdogs Wrote:
> this is rapidly approaching a lost season. a lot
> if messageboard venom is getting pointed at
> hunter, at times unfairly, as he inherited a
> dysfunctional team, not to mention the key
> injuries.
>
> but the injuries have exposed the weaknesses that
> had been in place long before hunter arrived.
> just think how this team would be faring W/O
> wideman? LOL with green out and carlson crapping
> the bed so far....yeesh.
>
> at the end of the day though, they'll probably
> squeak into the post season by virtue of ( yet
> another glorious ) S/E title.

This is really their last year with this roster to make it happen. Next year's realignment will find them with fewer cupcakes in the division. Some say it will improve the Caps playing against better opponents next season but, they need to focus on closing out this season strongly and figuring out a way to play consistent hockey.

Frankly, I hope Mike Green stays on IR. What has he EVER done for this team in the post-season and why would you want a player like that taking a roster spot in the playoffs from some one who has been grinding it out game after game. He's talented for sure. But, he's not the kind of player who gets healthy and immediately starts contributing. Keep him on IR and trade him in the off-season...please, Ted.

Posted by: Welcome to February! ()
Date: February 10, 2012 01:54PM

Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> This is really their last year with this roster to
> make it happen. Next year's realignment will find
> them with fewer cupcakes in the division. Some say
> it will improve the Caps playing against better
> opponents next season but, they need to focus on
> closing out this season strongly and figuring out
> a way to play consistent hockey.

Um, you must not keep up with NHL news... The NHL Players Association refused to consent to the realignment, killing it for next year...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610343

This info is over a month old...

Date: February 10, 2012 02:27PM

Welcome to February! Wrote:
> Caps Jihadist Wrote:
> -----
> > This is really their last year with this roster
> to
> > make it happen. Next year's realignment will
> find
> > them with fewer cupcakes in the division. Some
> say
> > it will improve the Caps playing against better
> > opponents next season but, they need to focus
> on
> > closing out this season strongly and figuring
> out
> > a way to play consistent hockey.
>
> Um, you must not keep up with NHL news... The NHL
> Players Association refused to consent to the
> realignment, killing it for next year...
>
> http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610343
>
> This info is over a month old...

Thank you for the update. As for your remarks...I'm sure if we looked closely enough we find something that you too have missed within the NHL universe...

Date: February 13, 2012 07:21PM

Caps seem to win, lose, win, lose. Does that mean they win tonight?

Holtby called up to start tonight. Hope he does well.

Date: February 13, 2012 07:29PM

Dale Hunter didn't want to coach in DC, reluctantly agreed after being cajoled, negotiated a one-season out-clause, and now you are seeing the results. Leonsis needs to find a hungry young coach who is out to prove something. Dale Hunter doesn't want or need this gig and the team is playing like it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Date: February 13, 2012 07:36PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> Dale Hunter didn't want to coach in DC,
> reluctantly agreed after being cajoled, negotiated
> a one-season out-clause, and now you are seeing
> the results. Leonsis needs to find a hungry young
> coach who is out to prove something. Dale Hunter
> doesn't want or need this gig and the team is
> playing like it.

Where are you getting this? Just making stuff up again?

Date: February 13, 2012 07:59PM

One of my buddies ran into Hunter at Osullivans, apparently Dale really enjoys throwing them back

Date: February 13, 2012 08:06PM

Fucking eh, how many caps goaltenders are going to get scored on from center ice!!!

Last time I checked home ice wasn't at Fairfax Ice Arena

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 07:52AM by Hay Zeus.

Date: February 13, 2012 08:15PM

Don't all hockey guys throw em back? Lol.

That goal was a bad bounce. Holtby has looked strong to far.

Date: February 13, 2012 08:25PM

Sure we do, after games but ole Dale might be getting a head start.

Date: February 13, 2012 08:33PM

Hmmmm, his cheeks do look a little red tonight.

Date: February 13, 2012 09:48PM

Well, now they're consistent. Suck on the road and at home

Date: February 13, 2012 09:49PM

You're a better man then me, i turned the game off.

Date: February 13, 2012 11:01PM

More Complete Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> -----
> > Dale Hunter didn't want to coach in DC,
> > reluctantly agreed after being cajoled,
> negotiated
> > a one-season out-clause, and now you are seeing
> > the results. Leonsis needs to find a hungry
> young
> > coach who is out to prove something. Dale
> Hunter
> > doesn't want or need this gig and the team is
> > playing like it.
>
> Where are you getting this? Just making stuff up
> again?

It's an established fact that Dale Hunter did not want to coach in the NHL and had to be sold on it by Leonsis. It's also an established fact that Hunter opted not to take a long-term deal so he would have the flexibility to get out after this season if things didn't work out. He is a lame duck head coach. He isn't hungry to prove himself as a head coach in the NHL. The players see this and are responding accordingly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 11:02PM by WashingTone-Locian.

Date: February 14, 2012 07:29AM

If its such a well established fact then how come no else on this thread has ever heard anything about it?

Date: February 14, 2012 07:52AM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> If its such a well established fact then how come
> no else on this thread has ever heard anything
> about it?

I don't know. Because you don't read?

http://mobile.dc.sbnation.com/washington-capitals/2011/12/21/2653620/dale-hunter-contract-washington-capitals-coach#bmb=1

It's been all over the DC sports press for months.

Date: February 14, 2012 07:52AM

If Anyone doesn't think the Caps don't have a goaltending problem then watch each of the three get scored on from the NEUTRAL ZONE. Time for a new goalie coach who can get these guys to focus.

Unacceptable.

Feb 1 2012 Neuvy vs Panthers:

Feb 9th 2012 Vokoun vs Jets:

Feb 13 2012 Holtby vs Sharks:

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 08:02AM by Hay Zeus.

Date: February 14, 2012 10:20AM

>
> I don't know. Because you don't read?
>
> http://mobile.dc.sbnation.com/washington-capitals/
> 2011/12/21/2653620/dale-hunter-contract-washington
> -capitals-coach#bmb=1
>
> It's been all over the DC sports press for months.

No, beacuse you make stuff up and post as if it were an "established fact" lol. We can read. Problem is, you are "reading" too much into things and throwing your opinion around as the truth.

It's been known that Dale only had a one year contract since the day he was hired. That is not news.

You can speculate all you want about why that is, but this "he didn't want the job" and "isnt' hungry" stuff is just you connecting your own dots. Not fact.

Backstrom and Green being out has more to do with their record than the coach IMHO. Many players have performed better under Hunter.

Date: February 14, 2012 10:29AM

More Complete Wrote:

>
> No, beacuse you make stuff up and post as if it
> were an "established fact" lol. We can read.
> Problem is, you are "reading" too much into things
> and throwing your opinion around as the truth.
>
>

It's an established fact that Dale Hunter did not want to coach in the NHL. He was approached by several teams but was having so much success in the OHL that he rebuffed everyone. How is that not a fact?

It's an established fact that Dale Hunter has a one-season contract giving him the flexibility of leaving on his own terms.

There's only one reason anyone would want a contract like that...they aren't 100% committed to being the team's long-term coach. He probably feels he is helping out the Caps in a time of crisis, but his passion is with his OHL team. If the Caps don't make the playoffs, I think it's about 90% certain he won't return. I think the only thing that makes a sure bet he returns is the team making it to the Final.

Date: February 14, 2012 10:54AM

> It's an established fact that Dale Hunter did not
> want to coach in the NHL. He was approached by
> several teams but was having so much success in
> the OHL that he rebuffed everyone. How is that not
> a fact?

Hunter had been pursued as a NHL coach in the past, but would only accept coaching for one team, the Caps. He watched every Caps game since he retired as a player. That he didn’t “want” the Caps coaching job is a real stretch and not a fact.

You go on to state that this untruth is the reason the Caps aren’t playing well, which also a stretch.

Dale Hunter's one-year contract 'irrelevant' to Capitals players

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/capitals-watch/2011/dec/22/dale-hunters-one-year-contract-irrelevant-capitals/

Caps players: Hunter's one-year contract not an issue

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/loose-pucks/2011/12/caps-players-hunters-one-year-contract-not-issue/153496

> There's only one reason anyone would want a
> contract like that...they aren't 100% committed to
> being the team's long-term coach. He probably
> feels he is helping out the Caps in a time of
> crisis, but his passion is with his OHL team. If
> the Caps don't make the playoffs, I think it's
> about 90% certain he won't return. I think the
> only thing that makes a sure bet he returns is the
> team making it to the Final.

Could be, but there is more than one reason to have a one year contract. That Dale was the one who wanted/requested the one year deal is pure speculation. To me the one year contract may very well say as much about GMGM as it does Dale. I can see both of them being gone if this team misses the playoffs. That Hunter doesn’t want to be here makes for good radio fodder, and that’s about it.

Date: February 14, 2012 10:56AM

> More Complete Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > No, beacuse you make stuff up and post as if it
> > were an "established fact" lol. We can read.
> > Problem is, you are "reading" too much into
> things
> > and throwing your opinion around as the truth.
> >
> >
>
> It's an established fact that Dale Hunter did not
> want to coach in the NHL. He was approached by
> several teams but was having so much success in
> the OHL that he rebuffed everyone. How is that not
> a fact?
>
> It's an established fact that Dale Hunter has a
> one-season contract giving him the flexibility of
> leaving on his own terms.
>
> There's only one reason anyone would want a
> contract like that...they aren't 100% committed to
> being the team's long-term coach. He probably
> feels he is helping out the Caps in a time of
> crisis, but his passion is with his OHL team. If
> the Caps don't make the playoffs, I think it's
> about 90% certain he won't return. I think the
> only thing that makes a sure bet he returns is the
> team making it to the Final.

The NHL is not the NFL and teams can be rebuilt/retooled quickly.

Unlike the NFL or NBA there is no shortage of qualfied hockey coaches capabable of coaching at different levels.

Unlike the NFL NBA or NCAA with a smaller pools of coaching talent that doesn't seem to adjust well at different levels of the game leaving only a few big names among many organizaions, there arent NHL organizations lining up just waiting to pounce on Dale Hunter after his contract expires so why bother sigining him to multi year when there isn't a demand for him? Seems like good business sense to me.

Also there is nothing in that article mentioning Dale having his arm twisted to coach the Caps. If that were the case i don't think Ted would have hired him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 10:58AM by Hay Zeus.

Date: February 14, 2012 11:00AM

The players may say it doesn't matter, but it does. If there's a chance a guy won't be back next year, it's a factor. As for Dale Hunter's desire to coach the Caps, he retired in 2000. Seems to me there were a couple of opportunities in those 11 years for Hunter to jump after what you believe is his dream job. Finally, it's simply not Leonsis's MO to offer a one-and-done deal like that. Look at how long he held onto Boudreau. I don't think you go from one extreme to another overnight.

Date: February 14, 2012 11:10AM

> The players may say it doesn't matter, but it
> does. If there's a chance a guy won't be back next
> year, it's a factor. As for Dale Hunter's desire
> to coach the Caps, he retired in 2000. Seems to me
> there were a couple of opportunities in those 11
> years for Hunter to jump after what you believe is
> his dream job. Finally, it's simply not Leonsis's
> MO to offer a one-and-done deal like that. Look at
> how long he held onto Boudreau. I don't think you
> go from one extreme to another overnight.

So players just go from retirement to head NHL coach overnight right? Lol. Got it.

You are also incorrectly assuming Leonsis is running the show, and picking/firing the coaches. Hello? That is GMGM's job. Pay attention.

Speaking of GMGM, the problem I have with him is that he has hired 4 coaches in a row with ZERO NHL coaching experience. That doesn't tend to work out well many times. Not sure what his aversion to hiring an experienced coach is but it may be end up being his biggest downfall.

Date: February 14, 2012 11:14AM

> The players may say it doesn't matter, but it
> does. If there's a chance a guy won't be back next
> year, it's a factor. As for Dale Hunter's desire
> to coach the Caps, he retired in 2000. Seems to me
> there were a couple of opportunities in those 11
> years for Hunter to jump after what you believe is
> his dream job. Finally, it's simply not Leonsis's
> MO to offer a one-and-done deal like that. Look at
> how long he held onto Boudreau. I don't think you
> go from one extreme to another overnight.

You can waste your time speculating all you want. Neither one of us knows whats in Dales heart. I just assume the contract deal is mutually beneficial for one reason or another.

It really doesn't matter to the players a whole lot. Its not like the NFL where players are brought in and sold on a "sytem" that is going to be established. Hockey is a very fluid sport and many players get dropped up and down from the minors or traded from one team to another.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 11:18AM by Hay Zeus.

Date: February 14, 2012 11:27AM

Whatever the case, there is no doubt that something is wrong with the Caps. This has been evident in the playoff failures over the years. Something was wrong before Dale got here.

GMGM built a team around the individual play of his 4 stars. Dale now has 2 of them. The other two are out of the lineup. I’ve been saying this since December, a trade or two needs to be made before the deadline. Otherwise, we can expect more of the same and possibly missing the playoffs. Especially since Backstrom doesn’t look like he’ll be back anytime soon and Green is made of glass.

Date: February 14, 2012 11:32AM

Yeah one of the analysts was saying the same thing last night as well (not Jones, i think).

Ovechkin has no support and cant be expected to beat 4 opponets game in and game out.....and goaltenders can't keep getting scored on from the neutral zone.

The big question is, who do they trade for?

Date: February 14, 2012 01:24PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Yeah one of the analysts was saying the same thing
> last night as well (not Jones, i think).
>
> Ovechkin has no support and cant be expected to
> beat 4 opponets game in and game out.....and
> goaltenders can't keep getting scored on from the
> neutral zone.
>
> The big question is, who do they trade for?

That is the question. Another good question is what/who do you give up? I heard this morning that Green may be able to play as soon as this weekend. I imagine they are trying to get him back ASAP so they can see what they have before the deadline. I also heard that the flyers are interested in Erskine and that Wideman may be on the block.

GMGM is on it but there is no telling what he’ll do.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/02/jets-under-winnipegs-microscope-30-thoughts.html

Apparently, no GM is burning up the phone lines more than George McPhee. The Capitals face Canadian-franchise-level pressure to succeed.

I keep hearing the Blue Jackets Jeff Carter being mentioned in various trade rumors. Not sure he’d be a fit with the Capitals because of his contract. That, and I don’t care for the guy.

The problem is, there aren’t a lot of good Centers or fast defensemen available for trade. Many Caps fans are in the “Sell” camp thinking they should just retool for next year, figuring a cup is out of the question. My guess is that GMGM will try desperately to keep his job.

Here is a recent quote: “I still think if we get our guys back and if we can add something here in the next couple of weeks we’re good enough to win the Stanley Cup,” McPhee said. “Then again, a lot of teams are looking to add something right now, too.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/capitals-vs-sharks-gm-george-mcphee-has-a-lot-of-moves-he-could-make-before-trade-deadline/2012/02/13/gIQAWj2JCR_story.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 01:31PM by More Complete.

Date: February 16, 2012 06:19PM

A lot of drama this week.

First Knuble spouts off about getting playing time and/or wanting to leave. Then GMGM says he's not going anywhere.

Then Kolzig says Ovi's problem is that he is too wrapped up in the "rock star thing".

Then GMGM agrees with said statements, then Ovi makes some snarky comments about Kolzig...

“Yeah I just want to look like him. He is a rock star, so — actually he was a rock star. Right now he’s in retirement,” Ovechkin said. “It’s no situation. I don’t think you guys have to give lots of attention about what he said.”

Then Ovi and Wideman scrap in practice.

WTF is going on over there? Lol.

Date: February 16, 2012 06:47PM

Maybe this is meltdown to rock bottom they need before unleashing the fury?

To bad Kolzig isn't playing for us now in his prime...anyways, its not his place as a goalie coach to comment on Ovie.

As far as Ovie goes...yeah thats what you get when you sign a star to a 10 year 10million dollar deal.

Date: February 17, 2012 10:34AM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Maybe this is meltdown to rock bottom they need
> before unleashing the fury?

Or maybe it’s a sign of an organization that isn’t run well and it’s starting to show. Tonight and the upcoming road games will tell the story. I hate to say this but I’m starting to think the chances of a playoff appearance may be dwindling. :(

Date: February 17, 2012 11:27AM

I think you're right, this road trip will make or break the season. If they lose out all the games then its probably over.

DAMN IT!!.....its going to be a loooooooong summer without caps playoff hockey.

Date: February 17, 2012 12:07PM

Agree. They need to win AT LEAST two of the next four. Otherwise, season may be over. Hope they can pull it out.

Date: February 17, 2012 10:10PM

Ovi and Semin get it done. Huge win. They needed that. Hope they can follow it up with another win tomorrow.

Date: February 19, 2012 08:38AM

Nope, winning two in a row on the road is too much to ask from this bunch.

Date: February 19, 2012 08:39AM

Best case scenario is that the Caps limp into the playoffs with a Division championship and either get swept or win one in the first round. Not an improvement.

Date: February 19, 2012 02:46PM

they are NOT going to survive the Road Trip in March wherein they have to win at Chicago, Detroit and Flyers. Those three losses ALONE will put the final three nails in their coffin.

Date: February 20, 2012 01:03PM

It's too early to say how big that March road trip will be. They could lose all three and still win the division. Florida is starting to implode and while the Jets passed the Caps for 2nd place they are 3 games ahead and only 1 point. Plus, both the Jets and Panthers have more OTL, so the Caps would beat both in a tiebreaker.

WTL is right, best case is to win the division and hope they don't get humiliated.

This is all if Backstrom doesn't come back, which it doesn't look like he will. :(

Also, let's not forget the trade deadline coming up. Could get interesting.

Caps need a win tonight.

Date: February 20, 2012 01:05PM

NHL is to unpredictable in the post season. Maybe limping into the playoffs with low expectations is what they need?

Date: February 20, 2012 01:12PM

caps are going to be sellers at the trade deadline and GM GM is going to lose his job at end of season.

Date: February 20, 2012 01:18PM

ferfux Wrote:
> caps are going to be sellers at the trade deadline
> and GM GM is going to lose his job at end of
> season.

It's because his job is on the line that GMGM will be buying. That's my guess anyway. However, I'm well aware of all the Caps fans that think sell, sell, sell AND fire GMGM is the way to go.

Date: February 20, 2012 01:30PM

The Caps transition on the turnover and breakaway goal by Tampa was pathetic. They left the goalie on a fucking island. They may not have been able to stop it, but it would have been nice to see one Cap in the fucking area. It looked like a Goddamn shoot out.

Posted by: ugly man ()
Date: February 20, 2012 02:03PM

> The Caps transition on the turnover and breakaway
> goal by Tampa was pathetic. They left the goalie
> on a fucking island. They may not have been able
> to stop it, but it would have been nice to see one
> Cap in the fucking area. It looked like a Goddamn
> shoot out.

Nobody cares what you think, asshole. So, STFU already. You must be one ugly sonofabitch.

Date: February 20, 2012 03:07PM

More Complete Wrote:
> ferfux Wrote:
> -----
> > caps are going to be sellers at the trade
> deadline
> > and GM GM is going to lose his job at end of
> > season.
>
> It's because his job is on the line that GMGM will
> be buying. That's my guess anyway. However, I'm
> well aware of all the Caps fans that think sell,
> sell, sell AND fire GMGM is the way to go.

those last minute trade aquisitions never work out. Come on now. Chemistry amongst team players is more important than getting that final piece at the trade deadline. Unless there is an injury issue, which with the Caps there is at center, its NOT going to work out. Colombus has a center but his price tag is WAY too high. His salary is terrible burden to the team getting it. GM GM would have to work magic on those numbers to get him.

Pages: Previous1234567AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 7

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.