HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 28
Re: High School Football 2016
Posted by: numbersdemographics ()
Date: December 31, 2015 02:05PM

So is it enrollment, demographics, athletes in the system or coaching? Or combination of all of the above. Seems everyone wants to discount winning programs with large enrollments. It's not that simple.

Lake Braddock 2772, 11-2
Chantilly 2693, 6-6
Robinson 2653, 9-4
Westfield 2608, 14-1
Centreville 2472, 4-7
West Potomac 2466, 8-4
Woodson 2446, 4-7
South Lakes 2436, 9-3
Fairfax 2414, 1-9
Oakton 2412, 5-6
Herndon 2264, 2-8
West Springfield 2218, 6-5
South County 2186, 13-1
Annandale 2158, 5-6
Madison 2123, 9-2
McLean 2089, 1-9
Marshall 2036, 6-5
Hayfield 1975, 6-5
Stuart 1973, 1-9
Mount Vernon 1972, 2-8
Langley 1967, 3-7
Edison 1934, 3-7
Falls Church 1867, 4-6
Thomas Jefferson 1823, 0-10
Lee 1764, 3-7

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Reasons why they are bad ()
Date: December 31, 2015 02:34PM

Chantilly - I don't think that they are a football school
Centreville - Just had a down year
Woodson - Idek
Herndon - Probably coaching or demographics, they aren't that big either in all honesty.

Posted by: GoTribe754 ()
Date: December 31, 2015 03:33PM

Based on the enrollment figures and records, I really hate to admit it but Panonni should be coach of the year. Look what he does with the low enrollment they have at SoCo.

Chokes of the year, LB (1st) and Chantilly (2nd). A perfect example that at some point coaching does matter.

Posted by: Simmons is COY ()
Date: December 31, 2015 03:53PM

GoTribe754 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Based on the enrollment figures and records, I
> really hate to admit it but Panonni should be
> coach of the year. Look what he does with the low
> enrollment they have at SoCo.
>
> Chokes of the year, LB (1st) and Chantilly (2nd).
> A perfect example that at some point coaching does
> matter.

Panonni as COY? I see where you are coming from but I believe Simmons should be COY. There was so much going on with the players on that team whether it was suspensions or injuries. Yet they dominated everyone in the post season without their best player on defense (Clancy)and their best RB (Pearson) who didn't play the whole year. As for the game they lost in Week 2 against SOCO, do you think any other team could lose 6 starters and still be that competitive versus SOCO?

Posted by: nufan ()
Date: January 01, 2016 10:05AM

Can't base everything on enrollment. Demographics play a huge roll. For WF, Pearson never plate a big role. He's a los person who needs to right his ship.

Posted by: unknown fan ()
Date: January 01, 2016 12:00PM

Simmons is COY Wrote:
> GoTribe754 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Based on the enrollment figures and records, I
> > really hate to admit it but Panonni should be
> > coach of the year. Look what he does with the
> low
> > enrollment they have at SoCo.
> >
> > Chokes of the year, LB (1st) and Chantilly
> (2nd).
> > A perfect example that at some point coaching
> does
Disagree I think Madison guys gets it
> > matter.
>
>
> Panonni as COY? I see where you are coming from
> but I believe Simmons should be COY. There was so
> much going on with the players on that team
> whether it was suspensions or injuries. Yet they
> dominated everyone in the post season without
> their best player on defense (Clancy)and their
> best RB (Pearson) who didn't play the whole year.
> As for the game they lost in Week 2 against SOCO,
> do you think any other team could lose 6 starters
> and still be that competitive versus SOCO?

Posted by: GoTribe754 ()
Date: January 01, 2016 11:48PM

There is no way that anyone can argue the fact that Simmons did a FANTASTIC job at WF. You are correct in that not many teams who lose 6 starters could still be that competitive with Soco in week 2. Having a student population of 2600 doesn't hurt. It would be a lot tougher for Soco to lose 6 starters and have to battle a well coached team like WF.

WF will no doubt be the consensus preseason #1 in NOVA next season.

Posted by: JIm Patrick ()
Date: January 04, 2016 09:30AM

I got the Fairfax job bitches!!!!!!!!!1
My dad is helping too, so watch out suckers!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Watch out!! ()
Date: January 04, 2016 02:09PM

Rumor has it that Soco is having a Green Day practice Saturday!! Looks like they're still hungry and ready to work towards the next season!! This is a dangerous program that is not afraid to get after it.

Posted by: HEMP ()
Date: January 04, 2016 02:28PM

is this Green Day you speak of being Hosted by their Former Center...?

Posted by: MV4 ()
Date: January 05, 2016 11:58AM

Mount Vernon new coach how long do we have to wait?

Posted by: Good stuff ()
Date: January 05, 2016 01:37PM

HEMP Wrote:
> is this Green Day you speak of being Hosted by
> their Former Center...?

Hosted by their center, and drinks will be provided by the Westfield Beer Pong Chmpions!!

Posted by: NR football fan ()
Date: January 05, 2016 02:00PM

MV4 Wrote:
> Mount Vernon new coach how long do we have to
> wait?

You'll have to wait for the more desirable coaching jobs to be filled before the Mt. Vernon job can be filled. Check back after an official announcement of the new Fairfax coach.

Posted by: CYA FAN ()
Date: January 05, 2016 05:27PM

Again until they get rid of Lalli Chantilly WILL CONTINUE TO BE A 5-5 CLUB EVERY YEAR -NOBODY WANTS TO PLAY FOR him - they have 2700 students , they have a great feeder program with CYA and good facilities and good kids and its they same shit every year - freshmen teams get 70 kids out and by the time they are seniors there are 10 kids left - doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he is holding the program back

Posted by: Dietician ()
Date: January 05, 2016 06:34PM

A little inside information, the Westfield kids Didn't drink beer, that's why they Won States, it was Wine Coolers .... Duh!

Posted by: Savages ()
Date: January 06, 2016 08:46AM

Those Westfield kids worked hard and played hard no question about it. They said we can Dixie cup, and still win states. A group of savages that got it done on and off the field!

Posted by: 7jXFy ()
Date: January 06, 2016 08:53AM

CYA FAN Wrote:
> Again until they get rid of Lalli Chantilly WILL
> CONTINUE TO BE A 5-5 CLUB EVERY YEAR -NOBODY WANTS
> TO PLAY FOR him - they have 2700 students , they
> have a great feeder program with CYA and good
> facilities and good kids and its they same shit
> every year - freshmen teams get 70 kids out and by
> the time they are seniors there are 10 kids left -
> doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that
> he is holding the program back

This is just simply not true. He is a very popular coach and figure at Chantilly and he knows how to coach as well as anyone. One of these years they will be headed to STATES again. It's only a matter of time.

Posted by: Um no ()
Date: January 06, 2016 08:55AM

Herndon will go to states before chantilly. Sarcastic but probably not that far off.

Posted by: Ball sport ()
Date: January 06, 2016 11:58AM

when you can walk the Halls of a High School and put together a team of players (not playing Football) that would annihilate the team that you are putting on the field Friday Night(s), there is a major Problem, sure its easy enough for the Coach to Blame the Kids, in this instance, ITS the Coach! Chantilly has as much if not more talent than most schools in the Northern Region their short-coming is Coaching!

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: January 06, 2016 06:43PM

Chantilly's roster had 25 seniors, 21 juniors, and 16 sophomore. A team of players that aren't on the team annihilating the team itself? I call BS. Chantilly just doesn't have enough talent. They just need a talented group of kids which they will probably get soon due to the youth programs in the area. For those who are saying that Chantilly is losing players cause of the coaches need to look at their freshman teams. Last year they were average and this year they got demolished by Westfield and Centreville! That's right... Centreville! And some other schools too probably... The Chantilly area might just be down this year but the issue isn't the coaches, it's the talent for sure.

Posted by: yes really ()
Date: January 06, 2016 09:32PM

Really -it is the coaching - I know the Chantilly program well and they have plenty of talent -again 2700 kids - a great youth program and plenty of lax players [state champs as sophomores and state finalist in 2015] who quit playing football because the coach is a douche and the program is in shambles - look at the top of this page and you will see most schools with 2500-2900 students do much better than a 500 record every year - cya youth sports has had excellent football programs in all age groups -and they get to high school and now are average - doesn't make sense - time for a coaching change -poll the Chantilly community and they will tell you the same

Posted by: Really don't know ()
Date: January 06, 2016 09:41PM

Look at Chantillys Freshmen program, a revolving door of coach's totally disconnected from the rest of the Football program, compliments of poor Leadership at the top. Regardless of the quality football players the youth/feeder programs provide...the downfall begins at freshmen and most do not make it to their Junior/senior year in football, while wearing rings from other sports....keep believing what you want and keep settling for 5-5 seasons! While your neighbors 3 miles south and 3 miles west win the big prize...

Posted by: Tilly ()
Date: January 07, 2016 05:06AM

For anyone to say that there are not athletes or its a down year at Chantilly you keep trying to defend Lalli - in the last couple of years the lacrosse program is like 60-10 with appearances in 2 state finals , the golf team has won a state championship , so has the cross country team and the baseball team has won the region and been in the finals twice recently - the girls soccer team has been strong as has been track and field - 2700 kids and the football team should be much better than there typical 5-5 or 6-4 season that they seem to be every year . I work in the building - I know the dissension in the football program and have spoken to many talented student athletes who do not want to play football and Lalli and the morale of the program is a major reason

Posted by: spoiledpeople ()
Date: January 07, 2016 08:45AM

What does LAX or other program success have to with anything? Westfield LAX is not that good and yet they are always good at football. Golf? Really? No school is always good in every sport every year no matter the size. How you think Westfield BB will fare next season without Scanlon and Francis? Suddenly then they will have a bad coach? Stop with it.

Posted by: Analytics ()
Date: January 07, 2016 10:04AM

Tops 7 HS populations went (56 and 31) bottom 7 went (16 and 54). little easier to win with big schools. Centreville just had a down year after several at the top.

Posted by: Cookie Monster ()
Date: January 07, 2016 03:54PM

I highly doubt a team of kids who don't play football at Chantilly could annihilate the actual team. I doubt they have that much talent.

Posted by: Tilly ()
Date: January 07, 2016 04:45PM

Spoiled one - the point is simple -Chantilly has 2700 students , a great feeder youth program and have been very good in many sports .The football should be better than 5-5 every year . Class of 2015 had 20 -30 kids who walked away from football because of Lalli - I know because I saw it happening and spoke to there parents > I failed to mention that the wrestling team is ranked 7th in the DC AREA - The point is lots of those lax players , track athletes and wrestlers veered away from football because of the screwed up program - this all began when a nimrod said there just isn't talent at the school . Coaching does matter and Tilly needs to move on from Lalli - I know pointing out a golf championship has little to do with football but the other sports do -finally I disagree that the kids who walked away from football would anniliate the actual team but many would have contributed /been solid players and would have added needed depth and made any team better

Date: January 10, 2016 04:43PM

Which school loses the most talent?

Posted by: Verpanic ()
Date: January 12, 2016 11:20PM

Big Jim is coming..... Rebels

Posted by: RumorMill... ()
Date: January 13, 2016 07:32AM

Jim Patrick (former Mclean Coach) will be the new Fairfax Coach... Great snatch for Rebel Nation

Clarence Martin (former Lee Coach) is the lead candidate for Mount Vernon

Annandale Assistant coach ??? will land the Stuart job

And I have no clue who lands the Jefferson job. rumor is they have a long time assistant who will take over.

Posted by: What about the red and blue ()
Date: January 13, 2016 09:22AM

Any word on the TC job? Matthie is out for sure but I haven't heard of any in house promotions or names outside the school floating around.

Date: January 13, 2016 10:21AM

RumorMill... Wrote:
> Jim Patrick (former Mclean Coach) will be the new
> Fairfax Coach... Great snatch for Rebel Nation
>
> Clarence Martin (former Lee Coach) is the lead
> candidate for Mount Vernon
>
> Annandale Assistant coach ??? will land the Stuart
> job
>
> And I have no clue who lands the Jefferson job.
> rumor is they have a long time assistant who will
> take over.

I think you are referring to the Annandale DC. By the way, if this is the same individual, he also was a semi-finalist for the Fairfax Job. If Stuart can get him, he would be a great hire.

Posted by: TitanPride ()
Date: January 13, 2016 10:22AM

I'm hearing that Martin (former Lee Coach and TC d coordinator) will take over at TC.

He may be in the running at Mount Vernon too. However, I think he would take the TC job before he would take MV.

Date: January 13, 2016 10:32AM

TitanPride Wrote:
> I'm hearing that Martin (former Lee Coach and TC d
> coordinator) will take over at TC.
>
> He may be in the running at Mount Vernon too.
> However, I think he would take the TC job before
> he would take MV.

That would make sense. I think the TC job is more attractive than the Mt. Vernon job.

Here's how I would rank the open coaching positions, from best to worst:

1. Fairfax
2. TC
3. Mt. Vernon
4. Stuart
5. TJ.

Don't be surprised if the positions are filled in this order. I've heard that the official announcement from Fairfax will be coming this week.

Posted by: VHSL realignment 2017 ()
Date: January 13, 2016 05:19PM

Looks like Madison may move out of the Liberty District and will join the Concorde. Never would've imagined that. Herndon will move to the Liberty. Conferences will be eliminated.

Posted by: Vhsl nutz ()
Date: January 13, 2016 05:31PM

Madison has already petitioned to change that District switch...they do not like the idea of Going 0-5/1-4 in District play every Year..they become the New Herndon!

Posted by: Sucks for Madison ()
Date: January 13, 2016 05:41PM

They are guaranteed pretty much 4 loses every year in the district. Idk how to feel about this. I feel like South Lakes would be a better fit.

Posted by: realignment ()
Date: January 13, 2016 08:24PM

Sucks for Madison Wrote:
> They are guaranteed pretty much 4 loses every year
> in the district. Idk how to feel about this. I
> feel like South Lakes would be a better fit.

Why would South Lakes be a better fit for the Concorde than Madison? Madison would have a tougher time in the Concorde but they wouldn't be as bad as Herndon. Herndon's demographics are rapidly tilting towards soccer success but that's not the case w/madison. I've tended to think that Madison could do better with a change of coaching, they have enough talent to do well in Liberty but they always lose early in regional playoffs.

Posted by: TRP ()
Date: January 13, 2016 10:22PM

I've seen how the VHSL proposes to realign the regions, but I haven't seen anything published regarding the alignment of the districts within the regions.

In 6A, Region #1 and Region #2 have a total of 20 schools (12 for Region 1 which is based in the Tidewater), and 8 in Region 2 which is based around Richmond. Regions 3 and 4, which are PWC, Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria have a total of 35 schools. I really don't understand how that's fair. If the four region champs in football are going to the state playoffs, that means that the Region 2 representative only has to beat out 7 other teams, but the region 3 champ has to beat out 16 other teams.

I get that southern PWC didn't want to be lumped in a region that extended all the way down to the Tidewater. Four regions would automatically ensure that doesn't happen. I would take the six southern PWC schools and place them in Region #2 with Richmond. That would create a region big enough to support two districts. One of those would be Richmond, and the other would be southern PWC. Region 3 and 4 would be reduced to 28 total schools, which can then be split between the two regions.

Posted by: Concorde and Liberty ()
Date: January 13, 2016 10:31PM

TRP Wrote:
> I've seen how the VHSL proposes to realign the
> regions, but I haven't seen anything published
> regarding the alignment of the districts within
> the regions.
>
> In 6A, Region #1 and Region #2 have a total of 20
> schools (12 for Region 1 which is based in the
> Tidewater), and 8 in Region 2 which is based
> around Richmond. Regions 3 and 4, which are PWC,
> Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria have a total of
> 35 schools. I really don't understand how that's
> fair. If the four region champs in football are
> going to the state playoffs, that means that the
> Region 2 representative only has to beat out 7
> other teams, but the region 3 champ has to beat
> out 16 other teams.
>
> I get that southern PWC didn't want to be lumped
> in a region that extended all the way down to the
> Tidewater. Four regions would automatically
> ensure that doesn't happen. I would take the six
> southern PWC schools and place them in Region #2
> with Richmond. That would create a region big
> enough to support two districts. One of those
> would be Richmond, and the other would be southern
> PWC. Region 3 and 4 would be reduced to 28 total
> schools, which can then be split between the two
> regions.

Districts to be revealed very soon. Washington post had the inside scoop on the Liberty and Concorde.

Posted by: realignment ()
Date: January 14, 2016 10:11AM

Concorde and Liberty Wrote:
> TRP Wrote:
> -----
> > I've seen how the VHSL proposes to realign the
> > regions, but I haven't seen anything published
> > regarding the alignment of the districts within
> > the regions.
> >
> > In 6A, Region #1 and Region #2 have a total of
> 20
> > schools (12 for Region 1 which is based in the
> > Tidewater), and 8 in Region 2 which is based
> > around Richmond. Regions 3 and 4, which are
> PWC,
> > Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria have a total
> of
> > 35 schools. I really don't understand how
> that's
> > fair. If the four region champs in football
> are
> > going to the state playoffs, that means that
> the
> > Region 2 representative only has to beat out 7
> > other teams, but the region 3 champ has to beat
> > out 16 other teams.
> >
> > I get that southern PWC didn't want to be
> lumped
> > in a region that extended all the way down to
> the
> > Tidewater. Four regions would automatically
> > ensure that doesn't happen. I would take the
> six
> > southern PWC schools and place them in Region
> #2
> > with Richmond. That would create a region big
> > enough to support two districts. One of those
> > would be Richmond, and the other would be
> southern
> > PWC. Region 3 and 4 would be reduced to 28
> total
> > schools, which can then be split between the
> two
> > regions.
>
> Districts to be revealed very soon. Washington
> post had the inside scoop on the Liberty and
> Concorde.

Here's the article referred to above, https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/virginia-high-school-league-to-revert-to-former-district-and-region-format/2016/01/12/e2979cb0-b95b-11e5-829c-26ffb874a18d_story.html

From the article,

"The VHSL will release the new district breakdown following Wednesday’s appeals meeting. The proposed districts will not entirely mirror their previous makeup. Madison is requesting to move from its newly assigned district with Concorde District/Conference 5 stalwarts Centreville, Chantilly, Oakton and Westfield to another within Class 6A Region 4 including Herndon, Langley, McLean, South Lakes, Washington-Lee and Yorktown. After Wednesday’s meeting, the proposed plan will then go to the executive committee for final approval in February."

So I guess Robinson would move to the Patriot, which kinda makes geographical sense having them play the likes of SoCo and LB but putting Madison in the Concorde just seems sort of random. Madison's enrollment is right around 2k, just big enough to be in D6 but not in the 2.4-2.6 range of most Concorde schools and they have no history/rivalry with Concorde schools other than Oakton. Fairfax would seem to make more sense as they were most recently moved from the Concorde to Liberty and they are more in line with Concorde schools in terms of geography and enrollment. I know Fairfax wanted out of the Concorde years ago for a lot of the same reasons Herndon wants out now. What a mess!

Posted by: New ()
Date: January 14, 2016 12:30PM

realignment Wrote:
> Concorde and Liberty Wrote:
> -----
> > TRP Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I've seen how the VHSL proposes to realign
> the
> > > regions, but I haven't seen anything
> published
> > > regarding the alignment of the districts
> within
> > > the regions.
> > >
> > > In 6A, Region #1 and Region #2 have a total
> of
> > 20
> > > schools (12 for Region 1 which is based in
> the
> > > Tidewater), and 8 in Region 2 which is based
> > > around Richmond. Regions 3 and 4, which are
> > PWC,
> > > Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria have a
> total
> > of
> > > 35 schools. I really don't understand how
> > that's
> > > fair. If the four region champs in football
> > are
> > > going to the state playoffs, that means that
> > the
> > > Region 2 representative only has to beat out
> 7
> > > other teams, but the region 3 champ has to
> beat
> > > out 16 other teams.
> > >
> > > I get that southern PWC didn't want to be
> > lumped
> > > in a region that extended all the way down to
> > the
> > > Tidewater. Four regions would automatically
> > > ensure that doesn't happen. I would take the
> > six
> > > southern PWC schools and place them in Region
> > #2
> > > with Richmond. That would create a region
> big
> > > enough to support two districts. One of
> those
> > > would be Richmond, and the other would be
> > southern
> > > PWC. Region 3 and 4 would be reduced to 28
> > total
> > > schools, which can then be split between the
> > two
> > > regions.
> >
> > Districts to be revealed very soon. Washington
> > post had the inside scoop on the Liberty and
> > Concorde.
>
> Here's the article referred to above,
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/
> virginia-high-school-league-to-revert-to-former-di
> strict-and-region-format/2016/01/12/e2979cb0-b95b-
> 11e5-829c-26ffb874a18d_story.html
>
> From the article,
>
> "The VHSL will release the new district breakdown
> following Wednesday’s appeals meeting. The
> proposed districts will not entirely mirror their
> previous makeup. Madison is requesting to move
> from its newly assigned district with Concorde
> District/Conference 5 stalwarts Centreville,
> Chantilly, Oakton and Westfield to another within
> Class 6A Region 4 including Herndon, Langley,
> McLean, South Lakes, Washington-Lee and Yorktown.
> After Wednesday’s meeting, the proposed plan
> will then go to the executive committee for final
> approval in February."
>
> So I guess Robinson would move to the Patriot,
> which kinda makes geographical sense having them
> play the likes of SoCo and LB but putting Madison
> in the Concorde just seems sort of random.
> Madison's enrollment is right around 2k, just big
> enough to be in D6 but not in the 2.4-2.6 range of
> most Concorde schools and they have no
> history/rivalry with Concorde schools other than
> Oakton. Fairfax would seem to make more sense as
> they were most recently moved from the Concorde to
> Liberty and they are more in line with Concorde
> schools in terms of geography and enrollment. I
> know Fairfax wanted out of the Concorde years ago
> for a lot of the same reasons Herndon wants out
> now. What a mess!

They need to make a power conference and let the big dogs fight each other all season, and put all the awful teams with each other. Madison in the Concorde is a joke and Fairfax in the Patriot is bad too.

Would love to see Robinson stay and add Soco, Braddock, or both to the mix. Get Herndon out because they're awful and let everyone else get after it!! Now that would be fun!!

Posted by: Offseason ()
Date: January 14, 2016 12:35PM

Interested in everyone's opinion on the off season, and how important it is to a high school football teams success. Are teams like WF, Robinson, Soco, and Braddock putting a ton of time into the off season, or are they flying by with good coaching and athletes?

What are that bad teams doing? Are they even touching the weight room? Is a team like West Springfield or Cville for example doing anything to replicate a WF, Robinson, Soco, or Braddock in the off season to compete with them in season?

Just interested in logical opinions...we all know everyone hates Cville, Soco, and Braddock so leave that BS out of this please!!??

Posted by: Football ()
Date: January 14, 2016 01:05PM

The good programs are lifting right now 3-4 times a week. Most of the good programs develop a few kids over the course of their time in the program and those players often start for the 1st time as Seniors. That is why some teams always seem to reload rather than rebuild.

Posted by: Ditto ()
Date: January 14, 2016 01:13PM

^^^^The above statement is 100% correct. Every now and then those programs have a 5 star athlete to go along with a solid off season program which turns them into world beaters but by and large the work in the off season leads to consistent success in the fall.

Date: January 14, 2016 01:26PM

Madison to the Concorde (or whatever they will call that district) makes no sense. Madison's enrollment doesn't justify putting them in with schools that are in some case 1/3 larger than they are. Except for Oakton, they don't have any natural rivalries with those schools, and they will always schedule Oakton anyway.

The VHSL needs to go back to the drawing board with their region and district lineup for 6A. Here's what I would change

- put five southern PWC schools in District 2. That would be Hylton, Woodbridge, Forest Park, Freedom, and Gar-field. For the districts in this region, add Riverbend to this group for one district, then the Richmond area schools can be another. This gives 13 teams in this group. It wasn't necessary to move these five into District 3 or District 4; the main objection they had to the current lineup was traveling to Tidewater, but having four districts solves that problem; they only have to go to Richmond for Districts, which isn't too bad.

- Put the new PWC school, Colgan, in a district with the other five PWC schools. The biggest problem with old Conference 8 was that with five schools, it was too small and therefore, not fair to other Northern region schools some of whom played in 8 team conferences. Colgan partially solves this problem. They are located in PWC where they could easily fit with either the northern PWC schools or the southern ones. THeir enrollement will be taken primarily from Hylton (South) and Osborne Park (north).

- The remaining schools in Fairfax an Arlington would be divided into three districts. After the three districts are identified, one district is paired with northern PWC to form one Region, and the remaining two are paired with each other to form the other. Here is how I would form the districts among these schools:

-- Concord: Existing Concorde schools, minus Herndon(their wish is granted), but add Lake Braddock. That puts the six biggest and most competitive schools in one district -- LB, Robinson, Centreville, Westfield, Chantilly, Oakton.

-- Patriot: To Replace Lake Braddock, and get this group to 8, add either Hayfield or Fairfax. Hayfield makes geographic sense (it doesn't make geographic sense for them to be in Liberty). Fairfax makes some geographic sense, and it also pairs them with Woodson. The lineup would be: SoCo, Mt. Vernon, TC, WS, West PO, Annandale, Woodson and Fairfax/Hayfield.

-- Liberty: Herdon gets moved into Liberty, as they wish, which pairs them up with South Lakes. The resulting district is Herndon, South Lakes, Madison, McLean, Langley, Washington-Lee, Yorktown, and Fairfax/Hayfield.

Region 1 would have 12 schools, Region 2 would have 13, and Regions 3 and 4 would each have 14. It's not perfectly balanced, but it's not bad.

Posted by: How ()
Date: January 14, 2016 01:55PM

TRP Wrote:
> Madison to the Concorde (or whatever they will
> call that district) makes no sense. Madison's
> enrollment doesn't justify putting them in with
> schools that are in some case 1/3 larger than they
> are. Except for Oakton, they don't have any
> natural rivalries with those schools, and they
> will always schedule Oakton anyway.
>
> The VHSL needs to go back to the drawing board
> with their region and district lineup for 6A.
> Here's what I would change
>
> - put five southern PWC schools in District 2.
> That would be Hylton, Woodbridge, Forest Park,
> Freedom, and Gar-field. For the districts in this
> region, add Riverbend to this group for one
> district, then the Richmond area schools can be
> another. This gives 13 teams in this group. It
> wasn't necessary to move these five into District
> 3 or District 4; the main objection they had to
> the current lineup was traveling to Tidewater, but
> having four districts solves that problem; they
> only have to go to Richmond for Districts, which
> isn't too bad.
>
> - Put the new PWC school, Colgan, in a district
> with the other five PWC schools. The biggest
> problem with old Conference 8 was that with five
> schools, it was too small and therefore, not fair
> to other Northern region schools some of whom
> played in 8 team conferences. Colgan partially
> solves this problem. They are located in PWC
> where they could easily fit with either the
> northern PWC schools or the southern ones. THeir
> enrollement will be taken primarily from Hylton
> (South) and Osborne Park (north).
>
> - The remaining schools in Fairfax an Arlington
> would be divided into three districts. After the
> three districts are identified, one district is
> paired with northern PWC to form one Region, and
> the remaining two are paired with each other to
> form the other. Here is how I would form the
> districts among these schools:
>
> -- Concord: Existing Concorde schools, minus
> Herndon(their wish is granted), but add Lake
> Braddock. That puts the six biggest and most
> competitive schools in one district -- LB,
> Robinson, Centreville, Westfield, Chantilly,
> Oakton.
>
> -- Patriot: To Replace Lake Braddock, and get
> this group to 8, add either Hayfield or Fairfax.
> Hayfield makes geographic sense (it doesn't make
> geographic sense for them to be in Liberty).
> Fairfax makes some geographic sense, and it also
> pairs them with Woodson. The lineup would be:
> SoCo, Mt. Vernon, TC, WS, West PO, Annandale,
> Woodson and Fairfax/Hayfield.
>
> -- Liberty: Herdon gets moved into Liberty, as
> they wish, which pairs them up with South Lakes.
> The resulting district is Herndon, South Lakes,
> Madison, McLean, Langley, Washington-Lee,
> Yorktown, and Fairfax/Hayfield.
>
> Region 1 would have 12 schools, Region 2 would
> have 13, and Regions 3 and 4 would each have 14.
> It's not perfectly balanced, but it's not bad.

How are you not considering Soco as a top competitive schools in football?

Posted by: GAU ()
Date: January 14, 2016 02:07PM

A couple of unresolved issues:

Albermale (Charlottesville), Henry (Roanoke), Massaponax (Fredricksburg), and Stafford may move up to 6A. I'm not sure who they would then bump, but all would probably go to that central region, Region 2.

I don't know why they are doing this now when the numbers aren't final. This doesn't take effect until 2017. Should be done this time next year.

Date: January 14, 2016 02:49PM

>
> How are you not considering Soco as a top
> competitive schools in football?

They are, and they would fit the competitive profile (probably better than Oakton, by the way), but I also also looking to make the districts geographically continuous. LB borders on Robinsson, which is part of the reason I placed them in Concorde with Robinson, and the others.

I guess the other thing you could do is move both LB and SoCo to Concorde, move Oakton out of Concorde into Liberty (giving them a rivalry with Madison), and place both Fairfax and Hayfield in Patriot.

Date: January 14, 2016 03:41PM

How about making Concorde WF, CVile, Tilly, Robo, SOCO, LB, Oakton, & SL?

Posted by: graceland ()
Date: January 14, 2016 03:44PM

Ditto Wrote:
> ^^^^The above statement is 100% correct. Every now
> and then those programs have a 5 star athlete to
> go along with a solid off season program which
> turns them into world beaters but by and large the
> work in the off season leads to consistent success
> in the fall.

Titles are won when no one is in the stands.

Posted by: Rebelman ()
Date: January 14, 2016 03:50PM

It's now official. Jim Patrick has been named as the new head football coach at Fairfax. He was introduced to returning players at a meeting that just concluded.

Welcome to Fairfax, Jim, we're glad to have you.

Posted by: At least try to make some sense ()
Date: January 14, 2016 05:55PM

Ball sport Wrote:
> when you can walk the Halls of a High School and
> put together a team of players (not playing
> Football) that would annihilate the team that you
> are putting on the field Friday Night(s), there is
> a major Problem, sure its easy enough for the
> Coach to Blame the Kids, in this instance, ITS the
> Coach! Chantilly has as much if not more talent
> than most schools in the Northern Region their
> short-coming is Coaching!

Wow....a few facts to back it up would be a good start. I think somebody's little boy is not playing enough and he or she is bitter.

Chantilly did have great skills players this year. Stats say they scored 2x last years team and were a lot more competitive in games they lost (by far). Was in the top 3 scoring teams of the last 15 years. Tied w/SB in the fourth on the road. BWoods. OT loss on the road. Lost to Robinson 2x in very good games. Last one with a few seconds left. Absolutely true that they got handled by Cent and WF.... they thumped the liberty darlings in their place in the playoffs.

They were far undersized on both lines. Good rushing teams really pushed them around. So Tilly parent, without naming names b/c they are kids, think about who would have been better receivers (2 sport players), running backs (Studs and one or two plays 2 sports) , QBs (2 sport player, linebackers (two two sport starters), TE (two sport) safety (two sport player), kicker (two sport player), corners (two sport players) that could have competed with them...just silly. Tilly had multiple all conf in these positions. Now about the lines...maybe one baseball player (quit to focus on baseball...had no coaching issues) could have started. Lax...not one junior or senior was good enough to start anywhere. Wrestling...I think the best wrestler over 170lbs played football. Basketball....at least 3 linemen play varsity or JV basketball. No other basketball players could have helped where they needed help, or are better than those out there. Golf? Nope. Soccer? Check..kicker..anyone else? at what position?

A few kids out there could have helped with depth....but maybe one starter is not playing and that's not b/c of coaching. Are they kids who are not playing any sports?

Get real man....

Posted by: Football ()
Date: January 14, 2016 07:11PM

Why should all the good football teams be in the same district and region? To me it makes sense to spread them out so the best teams advance.

Posted by: Because ()
Date: January 15, 2016 12:42PM

Football Wrote:
> Why should all the good football teams be in the
> same district and region? To me it makes sense to
> spread them out so the best teams advance.

In my mind for two reasons: One being the level of play every Friday night, and how interesting and competitive these match ups would be. Second being the higher caliber teams would be able to compete more than once a year, making the playoffs more competitive and entertaining.

Spreading them out is really just denying the inevitable, that the good teams will beat the bad team 9 out of 10 times, so why not let them play each other.

Also need to get ride of 16 teams making the playoffs. The eight charity teams that make it are really a joke!!

Posted by: Because v2 ()
Date: January 15, 2016 01:14PM

Because Wrote:
> Football Wrote:
> -----
> > Why should all the good football teams be in
> the
> > same district and region? To me it makes sense
> to
> > spread them out so the best teams advance.
>
> In my mind for two reasons: One being the level
> of play every Friday night, and how interesting
> and competitive these match ups would be. Second
> being the higher caliber teams would be able to
> compete more than once a year, making the playoffs
> more competitive and entertaining.
>
> Spreading them out is really just denying the
> inevitable, that the good teams will beat the bad
> team 9 out of 10 times, so why not let them play
> each other.
>
> Also need to get ride of 16 teams making the
> playoffs. The eight charity teams that make it
> are really a joke!!
-----------------------
Whoa.

Good teams will beat "bad" most of the time, but your point about the lower 8 as "charity" and "joke" is dead wrong. When good play really good every week as the schedule set up this year with good ffx and good louden teams playing..this was week one of the playoffs.....I don't think madison (lost), robinson (won on fg with a few seconds left), South Lakes (21 points in last 7 minutes to win), or springfield (got blown out) would say their opponents were charity or a joke. In week 2, Robinson scored with a few seconds left to escape the 13 seed.

This is not an anomaly...happens every year...that's why the power point system, while flawed in some respects, is ok...it allows good to play good and not get screwed from advancing. Those were great games.

(13)Chantilly vs. (4)James!Madison 27-19
(12)Centreville vs (5) James!Robinson 21-24
(11)Oakton vs (6)South!Lakes 28-35
(10)Hayfield vs(7) Battlefield 21 -36
*(9)West!Potomac vs.(8) West!Springfield 40-19

I announce some of these games and can tell you that many of the "second 8" are quality teams deserve to play in the post season.

Posted by: True...But ()
Date: January 15, 2016 01:22PM

Because v2 Wrote:
> Because Wrote:
> -----
> > Football Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Why should all the good football teams be in
> > the
> > > same district and region? To me it makes
> sense
> > to
> > > spread them out so the best teams advance.
> >
> > In my mind for two reasons: One being the
> level
> > of play every Friday night, and how interesting
> > and competitive these match ups would be.
> Second
> > being the higher caliber teams would be able to
> > compete more than once a year, making the
> playoffs
> > more competitive and entertaining.
> >
> > Spreading them out is really just denying the
> > inevitable, that the good teams will beat the
> bad
> > team 9 out of 10 times, so why not let them
> play
> > each other.
> >
> > Also need to get ride of 16 teams making the
> > playoffs. The eight charity teams that make it
> > are really a joke!!
> -----------------------
> Whoa.
>
> Good teams will beat "bad" most of the time, but
> your point about the lower 8 as "charity" and
> "joke" is dead wrong. When good play really good
> every week as the schedule set up this year with
> good ffx and good louden teams playing..this was
> week one of the playoffs.....I don't think madison
> (lost), robinson (won on fg with a few seconds
> left), South Lakes (21 points in last 7 minutes to
> win), or springfield (got blown out) would say
> their opponents were charity or a joke. In week 2,
> Robinson scored with a few seconds left to escape
> the 13 seed.
>
> This is not an anomaly...happens every
> year...that's why the power point system, while
> flawed in some respects, is ok...it allows good to
> play good and not get screwed from advancing.
> Those were great games.
>
> (13)Chantilly vs. (4)James!Madison 27-19
> (12)Centreville vs (5) James!Robinson 21-24
> (11)Oakton vs (6)South!Lakes 28-35
> (10)Hayfield vs(7) Battlefield 21 -36
> *(9)West!Potomac vs.(8) West!Springfield 40-19
>
> I announce some of these games and can tell you
> that many of the "second 8" are quality teams
> deserve to play in the post sea

Some aspects are true, but for the most part these teams are sneaking into a overpopulated playoff region. Take South County for example, they played two teams in the first round that they beat previously in the year in their district. It's just a little repetitive, and maybe charity case is the wrong way to discuss it, but it is what it is.

Who's to say their isn't a defeat that surprise everyone, but I would much rather see that from a top 8 team if you ask me. You're taking the competitiveness out of the game when you can make the playoffs at 4-6 or lower. Just no need for the everyone gets a chance approach that's been taken here.

There are some good teams left out, but sometimes that's what you get when you're simply not good enough...

Posted by: RebelGuy ()
Date: January 15, 2016 01:35PM

So how long before Fairfax becomes relevant again?

Posted by: Hmmm12maybe ()
Date: January 15, 2016 02:08PM

True...But Wrote:
> Because v2 Wrote:
> -----
> > Because Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Football Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Why should all the good football teams be
> in
> > > the
> > > > same district and region? To me it makes
> > sense
> > > to
> > > > spread them out so the best teams advance.
> > >
> > > In my mind for two reasons: One being the
> > level
> > > of play every Friday night, and how
> interesting
> > > and competitive these match ups would be.
> > Second
> > > being the higher caliber teams would be able
> to
> > > compete more than once a year, making the
> > playoffs
> > > more competitive and entertaining.
> > >
> > > Spreading them out is really just denying the
> > > inevitable, that the good teams will beat the
> > bad
> > > team 9 out of 10 times, so why not let them
> > play
> > > each other.
> > >
> > > Also need to get ride of 16 teams making the
> > > playoffs. The eight charity teams that make
> it
> > > are really a joke!!
> > -----------------------
> > Whoa.
> >
> > Good teams will beat "bad" most of the time,
> but
> > your point about the lower 8 as "charity" and
> > "joke" is dead wrong. When good play really
> good
> > every week as the schedule set up this year
> with
> > good ffx and good louden teams playing..this
> was
> > week one of the playoffs.....I don't think
> madison
> > (lost), robinson (won on fg with a few seconds
> > left), South Lakes (21 points in last 7 minutes
> to
> > win), or springfield (got blown out) would say
> > their opponents were charity or a joke. In week
> 2,
> > Robinson scored with a few seconds left to
> escape
> > the 13 seed.
> >
> > This is not an anomaly...happens every
> > year...that's why the power point system, while
> > flawed in some respects, is ok...it allows good
> to
> > play good and not get screwed from advancing.
> > Those were great games.
> >
> > (13)Chantilly vs. (4)James!Madison 27-19
> > (12)Centreville vs (5) James!Robinson 21-24
> > (11)Oakton vs (6)South!Lakes 28-35
> > (10)Hayfield vs(7) Battlefield 21 -36
> > *(9)West!Potomac vs.(8) West!Springfield 40-19
> >
> > I announce some of these games and can tell you
> > that many of the "second 8" are quality teams
> > deserve to play in the post sea
>
> Some aspects are true, but for the most part these
> teams are sneaking into a overpopulated playoff
> region. Take South County for example, they
> played two teams in the first round that they beat
> previously in the year in their district. It's
> just a little repetitive, and maybe charity case
> is the wrong way to discuss it, but it is what it
> is.
>
> Who's to say their isn't a defeat that surprise
> everyone, but I would much rather see that from a
> top 8 team if you ask me. You're taking the
> competitiveness out of the game when you can make
> the playoffs at 4-6 or lower. Just no need for
> the everyone gets a chance approach that's been
> taken here.
>
> There are some good teams left out, but sometimes
> that's what you get when you're simply not good
> enough...

-----------

So you view the one extra game as dangerous or a waste of time? To who? Who that played in, performed at, or watched the above games do you think thought that? Or are you saying it too costly to play the extra game? The extra games produce incremental net revenue. Not sure I understand your objection. I think most think its fun...for the kids...

If the only goal is to find out who is number 1, and you think we can get that from viewing regular season, why not just take the top 2..or even top 4 in the state. Only two teams from outside the top 4 have made it to the state final (oakton in '12 and woodbridge in 07). And they didn't win. So maybe we need 2 or 4 teams in the playoffs?

I could see 12 teams with top 4 getting buys as viable, but your 9-12 as worthless or bad games is not borne out by the data unless we are just thinking about ultimate winner...then we don't even need anything past top 2 in region almost all the time. Pretty boring.

Date: January 15, 2016 02:14PM

If there are only 16 teams in a region, then 8 in playoffs is plenty. That keeps the season the same length too (4 regions of 8, vs. 2 regions of 16).

Posted by: Conf 7 guy ()
Date: January 15, 2016 03:42PM

> I could see 12 teams with top 4 getting buys as
> viable, but your 9-12 as worthless or bad games is
> not borne out by the data unless we are just
> thinking about ultimate winner...then we don't
> even need anything past top 2 in region almost all
> the time. Pretty boring.

byes - at the high school level - are bullshit.

Date: January 15, 2016 03:50PM

Yes they are. With 7-9 teams in a District and 16-17 in a region, all sports except football will have an all-in District tournament with the top 4 teams going to the region. Football top 8 for the whole region.

Date: January 15, 2016 03:52PM

What grinds my gears is PWC threw a royal FIT about being split, but now are still split, they just don't have to play Stafford and Fredericksburg schools (boohoo!).

Fairfax/Arlington should make up two regions, PWC and Stafford/Fredricksburg another, and everybody else in the fourth.

Posted by: RydellllRoad ()
Date: January 17, 2016 12:02AM

TRP Wrote:

> In 6A, Region #1 and Region #2 have a total of 20
> schools (12 for Region 1 which is based in the
> Tidewater), and 8 in Region 2 which is based
> around Richmond. Regions 3 and 4, which are PWC,
> Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria have a total of
> 35 schools. I really don't understand how that's
> fair. If the four region champs in football are
> going to the state playoffs, that means that the
> Region 2 representative only has to beat out 7
> other teams, but the region 3 champ has to beat
> out 16 other teams.

This is how it would look.
Attachments:
VHSL 6A.jpg

Posted by: Not so fast ()
Date: January 17, 2016 07:30PM

Before the 2017 season and the new 4 region setup, there's the 2016 season to be played in which, bold prediction, west Springfield will represent the northern region in its final year of existence.

Posted by: Future is here ()
Date: January 17, 2016 08:13PM

Damn. Madison appeal unanimously rejected. Not good for football. Not good at all. At least the other former Liberty teams will have a crack a baseball district titles now.

The future districts according to the Washington Post:

"Madison requested to move from its newly assigned district in Wednesday’s meeting, but the committee voted 0-12 to reject the request. The committee asserted that Madison’s proposed move would “create a greater imbalance between the districts affected by the change” and that it “received minimal support from the respective districts schools.”

Herndon and Robinson, meanwhile, are slated to depart their Concorde brethren in 2017. Herndon will join traditional Liberty District teams in District 2, while Robinson will join traditional Patriot District teams in District 4.

Each of the six classifications breaks down into four regions, replacing the current North and South divisions. Here’s a look at how the districts break down in 6A Region 3 and 6A Region 4, the two regions comprising the biggest schools from Northern Virginia, as well as the rest of the schools in The Post’s coverage area.

6A Region 3

District 3: Annandale, Hayfield, Mount Vernon, T.C. Williams, West Potomac

District 4: Fairfax, Lake Braddock, Robinson, South County, West Springfield, Woodson

6A Region 4

District 1: Centreville, Chantilly, Madison, Oakton, Westfield

District 2: Herndon, Langley, McLean, South Lakes, Washington-Lee, Yorktown

5A North/West regions

District 5 will comprise Edison, Falls Church, Jefferson, Lee, Marshall, Stuart and Wakefield in the Class 5A North region. The Potomac District (currently District 14) will remain intact with Loudoun’s five largest schools — Briar Woods, Broad Run, Potomac Falls, Stone Bridge and Tuscarora — as part of the 5A North region.

Potomac, which will play with fellow Prince William schools in the Cardinal District, is in the 5A West region alongside Stafford County schools."

Posted by: new districts ()
Date: January 17, 2016 08:14PM

Posted by: Competition ()
Date: January 17, 2016 09:20PM

West Springfield....may challenge the likes of SOCO and LB, they won't sniff the Concorde...until then keep the pipe fired up!

Posted by: Little Brother Madison ()
Date: January 17, 2016 10:57PM

How sad that LITTLE BROTHER Madison has to play against big, bad Oakton Cougars!! No wonder they try petitioning out of a conference with actual competition, cause they Know that they will get shit on every year by their big brothers, the OAKTON Cougars. Oakton OWNS them in FOOTBALL, Oakton DESTROYED them last year in BASEBALL, and CRUSHED them in BASKETBALL. Madison=Oakton LITTLE BROTHER, NO DENYING, you cute little "war"hawks!!

Posted by: It's about profit ()
Date: January 18, 2016 11:43AM

Doesn't make much sense. Wasn't Madison a charter member of the Liberty District back in 1995? At least the future District 2/Liberty preserves the other high school rivalries. And now South Lakes and Herndon can have an end of season rivalry game. These new districts are more about maximizing ticket sales for the VHSL after the terrible idea to switch to conferences.

Date: January 18, 2016 12:26PM

I'm sure that Oakton is the least of Madison's worries.

Posted by: NotBrynRenner ()
Date: January 18, 2016 01:45PM

Not so fast Wrote:
> Before the 2017 season and the new 4 region setup,
> there's the 2016 season to be played in which,
> bold prediction, west Springfield will represent
> the northern region in its final year of
> existence.

Other than Muskett and Robertson - who else does WS have returning? They did not exactly seem to be loaded to me.

Posted by: Northern region fan ()
Date: January 18, 2016 02:02PM

Cookie Monster Wrote:
> I'm sure that Oakton is the least of Madison's
> worries.

With where they got slotted, Oakton would be the least of Madison's worries. I'm sure, however, they'll be scheduled as a season-ending "rivalry" game, which will decide last place in that district.

Posted by: WhyThe MadisonHate ()
Date: January 18, 2016 02:07PM

Its clear to me that Madison can compete with Oakton and Chantilly. I would also argue that this years Madison team would have beaten Centreville. I think Madison can compete with those teams. I bet right now, Madsion beats at least 2 of those teams next year.

The winner in all of this is South Lakesz Stone Brisge left the Liberty last year and now Madion and Hayfield will be leaving. I'd expect SL to run the conference for years to come.

Date: January 18, 2016 02:10PM

>
> 6A Region 3
>
> District 3: Annandale, Hayfield, Mount Vernon,
> T.C. Williams, West Potomac

West Potomac has to love this alignment. I really don't see any of these teams mounting a serious challenge to them in football

>
> District 4: Fairfax, Lake Braddock, Robinson,
> South County, West Springfield, Woodson

This is a real powerhouse district. I can see any of LB, Robo and SoCo winning this annually. WS might challenge occasionally. Sucks to be Fairfax or Woodson in this district.

>
> 6A Region 4
>
> District 1: Centreville, Chantilly, Madison,
> Oakton, Westfield

Westfield should cruise in this one. I'd say that Centreville would challenge them, but Centreville doesn't look to be strong in the Next few years. Oakton and Madison will bring up the rear.

>
> District 2: Herndon, Langley, McLean, South Lakes,
> Washington-Lee, Yorktown

South Lakes should be dominant in this district. Their toughest competition probably would be Langley

>
> 5A North/West regions
>
> District 5 will comprise Edison, Falls Church,
> Jefferson, Lee, Marshall, Stuart and Wakefield in
> the Class 5A North region. The Potomac District
> (currently District 14) will remain intact with
> Loudoun’s five largest schools — Briar Woods,
> Broad Run, Potomac Falls, Stone Bridge and
> Tuscarora — as part of the 5A North region.
>
> Potomac, which will play with fellow Prince
> William schools in the Cardinal District, is in
> the 5A West region alongside Stafford County
> schools."

Date: January 19, 2016 10:20AM

I'm not really understanding the need for the districts. Half of your schedule becomes non-conference, when two of them together could fill the schedule. Also, how will Cardinal District (PWC) decide which teams move on to the Region in everything besides football, since they are split among two regions? How do regions where the districts don't match the region determine which teams to take?

Date: January 19, 2016 03:02PM

Wish I could just edit to add to my post but a few more thoughts:

Football playoffs is easy because they use a point system to seed teams.

I'm curious to see how other sports with brackets will work since there are essentially three district in each region, which makes bracketing difficult.

Posted by: BHFR ()
Date: January 19, 2016 03:37PM

Enough with this playoff talk...

Jim Patrick officially named Head coach at Fairfax.

What's the latest on TC, MV, Stuart, and TJ

Posted by: Quick Question ()
Date: January 19, 2016 04:19PM

How long until Centreville becomes dominant again? How were their freshmen teams last year and this year? I'd assume that Westfield will be the best in the district over the next 2-3 years, but what do you guys think?

Posted by: footballobserver2 ()
Date: January 19, 2016 04:45PM

I don't foresee anything that would indicate Centreville will return to dominance anytime soon. They will remain a solid program but they have lost some key personnel for the second consecutive year. I expect them to be competitive against the best 6A North has to offer. But dominant? Nope.

Posted by: Wffan ()
Date: January 20, 2016 10:45AM

WF is losing a huge part of their success. Big time coaching change

Posted by: Interesting... ()
Date: January 20, 2016 10:56AM

Do you care to enlighten us?

Date: January 20, 2016 12:08PM

BHFR Wrote:
> Enough with this playoff talk...
>
> Jim Patrick officially named Head coach at
> Fairfax.
>
> What's the latest on TC, MV, Stuart, and TJ

There was a rumor posted here that the Annandale DC was the lead candidate for the Stuart job. However, I've heard that he isn't pursuing that position.

Posted by: ch-ch-changes ()
Date: January 20, 2016 12:16PM

Wffan Wrote:
> WF is losing a huge part of their success. Big
> time coaching change

Wakefield or Westfield?

Posted by: West Dogs ()
Date: January 20, 2016 12:59PM

It's Westfield, supposedly loosing their DC to small d-3 college.

Posted by: Bulldog Booster ()
Date: January 20, 2016 01:21PM

Wffan Wrote:
> WF is losing a huge part of their success. Big
> time coaching change

West Dogs Wrote:
> It's Westfield, supposedly loosing their DC to small d-3 college.

He's a good coach, the last couple years rumors floating about him leaving for various destinations. However, Westfield was successful long before he arrived and will be long after he's gone.

The coaches are a big part but the success of the program has been that it's run identical to how it was when the school opened and Verbanic was in charge. If you go back through the past 16 seasons, since its inception, the program has only had 4 seasons they failed to win 8 or more regular season games. The first two years the school was open and the last two Verbanic was there.

A few of the players from the final two years Verbanic coached had mentioned how his passion had seemed to fade. Most probably due in part to the AD position he so desperately wanted, and unfortunately did not receive, at Westfield.

In short, the program has been able to develop or bring in quality coaches when vacancies arise. All the while maintaining decent success, doubt Everett leaving will change that. leaving will

Posted by: Wffan ()
Date: January 20, 2016 03:39PM

Everett is going to Bridgewater. He was the biggest part of their success in my opinion.

Posted by: Smart ()
Date: January 20, 2016 03:46PM

Westfield 12-10 two seasons before Everett. 61-8 in the 5 years he was there. He was the difference, don't kid yourself. That's with no NFL players. None of the guys on this years team are going to play college football.

Date: January 20, 2016 03:54PM

Westfield is 61-8 under Simmons, they went 12-10 the two seasons with Verbanic. Westfield's middle linebacker Jack Clancy is going to play D1 in college. Petrillo & Aiello (DPOY) could also play D1 but are interested in different sports. Westfield clearly has talent and it wasn't all Everett. Although he will be missed, Westfields coaching staff is not much different from their roster. They've always had the next man up kind of mentality.

Posted by: Bulldog Booster ()
Date: January 20, 2016 04:26PM

Westfield is 61-8 under Simmons, they went 12-10 the two seasons with Verbanic. Westfield's middle linebacker Jack Clancy is going to play D1 in college. Petrillo & Aiello (DPOY) could also play D1 but are interested in different sports. Westfield clearly has talent and it wasn't all Everett. Although he will be missed, Westfields coaching staff is not much different from their roster. They've always had the next man up kind of mentality.

Don't forget Scanlon, definitely could play football in college but basketball is his sport of choice. Also, the original comment was "None of the guys on this years team are going to play college football". I'm pretty sure there are a couple that will play at the D2 or 3 level, Leo seems to have that potential.

As I stated previously, Westfield has proven that they can pretty much be considered a team to be in the mix year in and year out. Definitely the epitome of a next man up program, coach or player.

Posted by: Novafballfan ()
Date: January 20, 2016 05:01PM

If you really look at centreville in the 21st century, aside from having an ungodly amount of talent in the class of 2015, they have been an average program at best. Unless lightning strikes twice I don't see them rising to prominence like that again anytime in the near future.

Posted by: Agreed ()
Date: January 20, 2016 05:08PM

I doubt there will ever be a class as talented as Centreville's '15 class in NOVA. Westfield's '19 class seems to be the best that they've had in quite a while tho. Check them out.

Posted by: Rumor mill ()
Date: January 20, 2016 11:53PM

Rumor is there are a lot of multisport guys at Westfield who may not play football next year due to Everett leaving. Will be interesting to see how things shake up.

Posted by: Simmons Sucks ()
Date: January 21, 2016 06:47AM

Simmons was in charge of the D when they went 12-10. If he so good, why didn't he stop the bleeding. What position is Scanlon playing in college? Too slow to play WR. Aiello too small. Petrillo also too slow. Face it Westfield is 6-4 next year. Back to there "that's what we do" pompous crap. Everett challenged them and coached on a different level.

Posted by: Westfield Follower ()
Date: January 21, 2016 07:15AM

Listen, Rob just took over DC duties in 2013. He certainly didn't make Westfield into what they are so that needs to stop. Westfield will be fine without him. Oh, the DC that Simmons has lined up has a state title to his name too. Westfield will be fine!

Posted by: Play Ball ()
Date: January 21, 2016 08:21AM

Rumors are for the un-informed, Football is the Dominate Sport at Westfield, All the multi-sport kids will be right back on the Field Come August. Westfield Returns 7-8 kids on each side of the Ball that either started Last year or saw significant playing time...The DC job, if not filled in-House will be easily filled with Quality from the outside. Westfield's mediocre performance in Verbanics last two years was more Talent related than anything else. the Westfield Staff is top-notch and the Talent on-board the next few years is better than most...Your Region Favorites will be right where they need to be next November, getting ready to defend that 6A Title!

Posted by: Poor Baby ()
Date: January 21, 2016 08:28AM

To the Cry-Baby Above aka "Simmons Sucks", the New England Patriots Roster is full of Super Bowl Champions that were told all their Life that they were To Slow, or To Small...so STFU! There are Major D-1 Programs begging, some of these to slow, to small guys to consider an offer...What do you know ? more than a Guy making $4-$6 million a year that Knows work ethic and Heart trumps Lazy Speed and Size!

Posted by: Simmons Sucks ()
Date: January 21, 2016 08:55AM

Where are the Football offers. Good players get offers to persuade them to choose. No offers for the basketball, lacrosse and wrestling kids. Don't give me that they love their first sport crap. Again, they had Royster, Royal, and Glennonx2. Those guys played on Sunday. Everett has been running the show since he got there, regardless of his title. Who is coaching at Bridgewater next year? Not Simmons. Westfield does nothing in the off season, don't talk about work ethic.

Posted by: Poor Baby ()
Date: January 21, 2016 09:13AM

the Offer(s) are there, some Parents/Athletes aren't nearly as pompous as you, needing to publicly Gloat to offset some other short comings in their Life..

Yes Bridgewater Carries the Title of College-D3, it might actually be a demotion in every aspect other than adding D-3 College to your resume!

Everitt definitely will help their losing ways, he might miss the 3-5 thousand additional fans in the stands he was accustomed to on Friday Night though!

A Good Leader, lets competent people around him Lead, that's what builds success! kudos to Simmons for recognizing Everitts talents and getting out of his way!

The Work Ethic that is brought forth in the off-season is an Individual effort, if you were even close to the program, you would know who those individuals were/are and the just Rewards they have garnered as a result...

Keep drowning your sorrows on the south side of rte. 29 we understand your dilemma!

Posted by: Bulldawgs ()
Date: January 21, 2016 09:34AM

@simmons sucks, you're telling me Kevin petrillo didn't play just as good if not better than Clancy? Petrillo could pursue football at the division one level no question. And Scanlon may be too slow to play receiver but that didn't stop Virginia tech, UVA and Jmu from offering him. As much as it kills you northern region football lovers some kids don't want to play football past 12th grade.

Pages: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 28

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.