HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 28
Re: High School Football 2016
Posted by: the end could be near ()
Date: August 01, 2016 05:08PM

If taxes go up too much more (including the meals tax) then residents will vote in a whole new leadership team. One thing that team might do is eliminate football. Football, for better or worse, is expensive and exclusionary (girls can't play), and other school districts have abolished it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Old taxpayer ()
Date: August 01, 2016 05:31PM

If you ever get the chance to read the school budget I suggest you take a look at. All athletics expenses are less than 2% of the budget. Football is not even the most expensive sport. Swimming is much more expensive. The money saved each year from cutting football might buy each FFX County taxpayer a cheeseburger at McDonalds. I think that money is much better spent giving some kids a chance to be apart of something that may make a difference in their lives. I know I'd gladly support all athletic and club expenses. For a lot of kids they get much more of of those than any class.

Posted by: 757 ()
Date: August 01, 2016 05:53PM

Simmons is about the least optimistic coach at the beginning of the season that I've heard. Sounds like he thinks they're rebuilding, not reloading in 2016. NOVA Teams must be lickin their chops to get at them!

Date: August 01, 2016 06:13PM

August 12th Scrimmage: South County vs Western Branch in Chesapeake, VA. The Bruins nearly beat Smith last year!

Date: August 01, 2016 06:13PM

I still like the Beach and Tidewater teams and I still have a little penis

Posted by: Bulldog Booster ()
Date: August 01, 2016 06:40PM

Simmons is about the least optimistic coach at the beginning of the season that I've heard. Sounds like he thinks they're rebuilding, not reloading in 2016. NOVA Teams must be lickin their chops to get at them!

Have you ever seen him speak before? He's like that week in and week out, year in and year out. He could have the players DeMatha has and still carry himself that way. He's just low key, all the time, unusual for a football coach. He's got plenty of talent, his offense will be much better than last year. Defense might not be as good but will still be one of the best in the Region. Think they'll be just fine....

Date: August 01, 2016 07:07PM

August 12th Scrimmage;South County vs Western Branch in Chesapeake, VA. The Bruins nearly beat Smith last year!

Posted by: Bulldog Booster ()
Date: August 01, 2016 08:22PM

Remember all you Westfield players - we still have room for the dixie cup fun this weekend at the secret location you all know about.....no worries - still way too early in the season so even if you get caught won't make any difference as a little slap on the wrist never hurt anyone.

JOIN IN ON THE DIXIE CUP FUN - A WESTFIELD TRADITION LIKE NO OTHER

Posted by: Westfield RULEZ ()
Date: August 01, 2016 08:36PM

Funny post - yep we do get away with a lot. But winning is the only thing that matters, does not matter if we have some transgressions along the way.

WINNING!!!!

Posted by: Many are back ()
Date: August 01, 2016 08:50PM

Aren't many of the dixie cuppers from Westfield back again this year? Wonder what type of shit they will pull this year now that they think they are all that because the Westfield parents are licking their butts for them.

Posted by: minor problem ()
Date: August 01, 2016 10:03PM

Old taxpayer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you ever get the chance to read the school
> budget I suggest you take a look at. All
> athletics expenses are less than 2% of the budget.
> Football is not even the most expensive sport.
> Swimming is much more expensive. The money saved
> each year from cutting football might buy each FFX
> County taxpayer a cheeseburger at McDonalds. I
> think that money is much better spent giving some
> kids a chance to be apart of something that may
> make a difference in their lives. I know I'd
> gladly support all athletic and club expenses.
> For a lot of kids they get much more of of those
> than any class.

Explain football to my daughter, who is not allowed to play. Since she's completely cut out for some stupid reason, I'll take the cheeseburger instead of subsidizing football for boys.

Posted by: Observation ()
Date: August 02, 2016 08:15AM

Remember all you Westfield players - we still have room for the dixie cup fun this weekend at the secret location you all know about.....no worries - still way too early in the season so even if you get caught won't make any difference as a little slap on the wrist never hurt anyone.

JOIN IN ON THE DIXIE CUP FUN - A WESTFIELD TRADITION LIKE NO OTHER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny post - yep we do get away with a lot. But winning is the only thing that matters, does not matter if we have some transgressions along the way.

WINNING!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aren't many of the dixie cuppers from Westfield back again this year? Wonder what type of shit they will pull this year now that they think they are all that because the Westfield parents are licking their butts for them.

It's a shame, this used to be a decent spot to discuss high school football until you morons showed up.

Can't wait for school to start so you little ones might be preoccupied enough with homework to stay of this thread.

Date: August 02, 2016 08:23AM

Explain football to my daughter, who is not allowed to play. Since she's completely cut out for some stupid reason, I'll take the cheeseburger instead of subsidizing football for boys.

Why can't she play? There have been a couple local schools who have had female players in recent years past. I'm thinking maybe Centreville and Robinson, not 100% on the schools but I know there have been a few. Plus, the majority of the football programs in this area raise more money than any of the sports at their respective schools. There are far more players in a high school football program than any other program, each one of those kids raise $'s through some form of sponsorship. Throw in ticket sales, concessions, and booster programs some of these more successful programs make a nice chunk of change for their respective schools.

Posted by: Current Page: 8 of * ()
Date: August 02, 2016 08:29AM

minor problem Wrote:

> Explain football to my daughter, who is not
> allowed to play. Since she's completely cut out
> for some stupid reason, I'll take the cheeseburger
> instead of subsidizing football for boys.

That's odd. I saw a girl play in a game for Chantilly last season.

Anyway, if your daughter wants to play football all she has to do is go out for the team. I guarantee you if she really wants to play and is a team player and dedicated to the team and willing to work hard even if she doesn't get playing time - most coaches would find a place for her.

Posted by: daughter wants to play ()
Date: August 02, 2016 09:19AM

I can share my experience here. My daughter wanted to play as well. I was told that since there are no college football scholarships for girls she would be taking away a slot from a boy.

This is a crap argument but I didn't want her hassled. She plays soccer instead and does quite well at it.

I don't want to get into the discussion of budgets but I do think that they ought to give equal priority to boys and girls who want to play sports. By that I mean each sport should have the same prestige. After all, around the world, it is the soccer players who are the celebrities.

Date: August 02, 2016 09:42AM

I by the way will provide the dixie cups for this year's bash.

Posted by: A coach ()
Date: August 02, 2016 09:59AM

Current Page: 8 of * Wrote:
> minor problem Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Explain football to my daughter, who is not
> > allowed to play. Since she's completely cut out
> > for some stupid reason, I'll take the
> cheeseburger
> > instead of subsidizing football for boys.
>
> That's odd. I saw a girl play in a game for
> Chantilly last season.
>
> Anyway, if your daughter wants to play football
> all she has to do is go out for the team. I
> guarantee you if she really wants to play and is a
> team player and dedicated to the team and willing
> to work hard even if she doesn't get playing time
> - most coaches would find a place for her.

That's too bad. I'm a football coach and have coached girls in the past, it's no big deal. They often bring a better level of big picture understanding that their classmates don't have yet.

If she is still seeking that sort of activity, though, you might have her check out rugby. We have some fantastic girls rugby programs in this area.

Date: August 02, 2016 10:16AM

daughter wants to play Wrote:
> By that I mean each sport should have the
> same prestige. After all, around the world, it is
> the soccer players who are the celebrities.

Basically you are a communist. How can you enforce the "same prestige" on a voluntary participatory and attended and viewed sport???? JFC!

Posted by: comrade no 9 ()
Date: August 02, 2016 10:36AM

Comrade Citizen, your presence is required at the girls volleyball game tonight to equal the attendance with the football game. You will not attend the football game. It is for the good of the party.

Posted by: some people are really stupid ()
Date: August 02, 2016 10:41AM

Prestige is not the same as attendance.

Why is football/homecoming such a big thing? Why not volleyball/homecoming?

One of the big ideas here would be to make girl athletes feel as valued as the male athletes. Unless and until the sports they play get more prestige, that will not happen.

Posted by: Pharmacist ()
Date: August 02, 2016 10:43AM

We all decided that this year we would only have Fruit-Salad Parties at Westfield, you know where we steal all the prescription drugs from the medicine cabinets of all the families who's kids don't play sports...then dump them in a big bowl, mix them up and every one down a handful...going to be a lot of dysfunctional moms at Oakton, south county, west Springfield, Centreville, Robinson et. al.

Date: August 02, 2016 11:21AM

some people are really stupid Wrote:
> Prestige is not the same as attendance.
>
> Why is football/homecoming such a big thing? Why
> not volleyball/homecoming?
>
> One of the big ideas here would be to make girl
> athletes feel as valued as the male athletes.
> Unless and until the sports they play get more
> prestige, that will not happen.

What about the other 9 male sports that don't have football homecoming? Everyone gets a senior night - what you complaining about?

But to answer your question - football homecomings have been a time-honored American tradition for well over 100 years. I suppose to libs like you that's reason enough to get rid of them. All historic American traditions must be eliminated. We get it.

Posted by: traditions and history ()
Date: August 02, 2016 11:28AM

100 years ago (well, 96 actually) women could not vote. Times change.

The fact that you say "male sports" says that you are probably living in the past, and people like you are a BIG problem.

Date: August 02, 2016 11:50AM

traditions and history Wrote:
> 100 years ago (well, 96 actually) women could not
> vote. Times change.
>
> The fact that you say "male sports" says that you
> are probably living in the past, and people like
> you are a BIG problem.

^^^^^

There you have it folks. Since this is a football thread I'm going to drop the discussion and no longer reply/continue this line of inquiry. I will say that this individual is BIGOT and has not granted me an appropriate safe place for my opinions by dismissing me as a "BIG problem." That is wrong and hurtful.

Date: August 02, 2016 12:05PM

traditions and history Wrote:
> The fact that you say "male sports" says that you
> are probably living in the past, and people like
> you are a BIG problem.

What reality are you living in? Are you aware that the VHSL has "Boys" and "Girls" classifications?
Attachments:
binaryhorror.jpg

Posted by: 757 and Bulldog Booster ()
Date: August 02, 2016 12:11PM

We both like to watch our teams cheat and get away with it, and we both have small penises.

Date: August 02, 2016 12:34PM

Posted by: 757 and Bulldog Booster ()

Date: August 02, 2016 12:11PM

We both like to watch our teams cheat and get away with it, and we both have small penises.

That statement speaks volumes of the individual you are and what this thread has become. Unfortunately it's riddled with juvenile insults, that's awesome, think it might be time for your nap!

With that I'm out, think I'll subscribe to Rivals and read the threads there about Virginia high school football. They actually seems to stick to the topic instead of random name calling and idiotic threads by children....

Date: August 02, 2016 12:46PM

Aug 19th Preseason scrimmage: South County vs Western Branch. In Chesapeake, VA.... The Bruins almost beat Oscar Smith least year. Come on down if your Mom will let you... Then stay at the Beach for the weekend and run up your parent's credit cards!

Posted by: frequentwatcheroffootball ()
Date: August 02, 2016 12:51PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcl7NaVUEQw

A mildly interesting discussion of coaching legend Tom Verbanic (and Francis Dall).

Date: August 02, 2016 02:23PM

I know that I am an ostrich and I refuse to admit that the 757 teams are cheaters, that Westfield has a dark underbelly to its supposedly good program, that anything is wrong with the state of VHSL football. I know I should root for a program like Herndon or Marshall to beat the shit out of these pompous teams but I won't because winning is everything....

WINNING!!!!!!

Posted by: Another reason to vote yes ()
Date: August 02, 2016 02:28PM

Will the meals tax help the football programs?

Date: August 02, 2016 02:29PM

I know that the piece on Verbanic is only "mildly interesting" to Westfield parents who have drunk the kool-aid and many other forms of beverage with the players and who lick the coaches butts and don't mind tossing out a few rules here and there for the vaunted Westfield program. I hope one of the low level teams on their schedule beats them good - karma will come to roost at some point.

WINNING!!!!!!!

Posted by: Herndon hurrah ()
Date: August 02, 2016 02:30PM

Go Hornets baby

Posted by: Herndon Hurrah ()
Date: August 02, 2016 02:34PM

I agree, tired of the traditional programs around VHSL football - go Herndon, Marshall, Mt Vernon, Stuart, Jefferson, and the like.

WINNING!!!!

Posted by: bellcurvedenier ()
Date: August 02, 2016 02:51PM

Sure, let's hope schools that don't support football, that don't have active boosters, that hire crappy coaches because they know a friend of the principal, that have liberal parents that hate football because it is too masculine, that make fun of football because soccer is so much more worldly and sophisticated win against teams that actually support football.

After all, we all know winning at football just happens by accident.

Posted by: bellcurvedenier ()
Date: August 02, 2016 02:58PM

Sorry and I forgot to mention at the end of my post ... Dixie Cups will be green this year instead of red for a little variety. Hope all current and former Bulldogs will be there. And I also have a little penis.

Posted by: WINNING! ()
Date: August 02, 2016 03:04PM

WINNING IS EVERY THING, THE ONLY THING, AND I WILL SUPPORT MY WINNERS NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO OFF THE FIELD. BULLDOGS WINNING!!!!!

Dixie cups to be imprinted with state championship logo this year, not green or red, just black and gold baby.

Date: August 02, 2016 03:07PM

I refuse to support the lower teams, they are not good enough, they are not seen as worthy in our good Lord's eyes, there is a reason why Herndon, Mt Vernon, others are losers. They are not Winners. WINNING!!!!!!

Westfield Bulldogs are winners. Yes God believes so and so do I. God allows winners to do stuff outside of the game and still be winners.

WINNING!!!!!

Date: August 02, 2016 03:12PM

Westfield deserves to win more than SOCO, is better than Robinson, always beats Braddock in the end, has Centreville's number again, will always beat Chantilly.

WINNING!!!!!

WINNING!!!!!

We are the lord's children, we are the best, don't point out our flaws, they are unseen in God's eyes.

WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember to buy your special logo dixie cups - only $4.99 a cup - before the dixie cup fest this weekend.

Posted by: LOSING!! ()
Date: August 02, 2016 03:29PM

Ah you libs from the other teams are just pansies. Westfield is good ole down home conservative repubs and we know how to win in the eyes of the Lord and Donald Trump. Go Bulldogs.

Posted by: Ha Ha Losers ()
Date: August 02, 2016 03:52PM

I agree, everyone else losers. Westfield only best team, only winners. Yippeee....Westfield are champs!

Posted by: 66jwF ()
Date: August 02, 2016 04:56PM

What we have here is a lame-ass 12 year old troll who doesn't know how. You are boring, incompetent, repetitive and have no imagination. Go do some reading and research on the internet as to HOW to be an effective and interesting troll.

Posted by: i am 11 ()
Date: August 02, 2016 05:23PM

EFF YOU ASSWIPE, Westfield sucks, go Patriot District

Posted by: smart kid ()
Date: August 02, 2016 05:35PM

Good job kid, you are right - Westfield has gone bad from the inside.

Date: August 02, 2016 06:16PM

Hey, guess what, South County is coming down to Chesapeake for a scrimmage against Western Branch August 19th. It should be a tough match up for each team & good prearation for the season.

Besides the DeMatha vs Westfield scrimmage, what are the other intriguing preseason games are scheduled?

Date: August 02, 2016 06:21PM

By the way, beware that 757 teams cheat even in scrimmages and I still have a small penis.

Date: August 02, 2016 06:28PM

Who will be the favorite between South County & Westfield? Both could easily lose their preseason scrimmages Aug 19th.

Date: August 02, 2016 06:37PM

I ask but know this is a worthless question because Oscar Smith and VHSL already have the outcome cooked with all the players landing there this year and moving the state championship game to Hampton, etc. It is all a big fix. And I still have a small penis.

Date: August 02, 2016 06:46PM

Hey you punk stop using my name. It is all about winning, something your team probably has never figured out. Go 757, just win baby.

Date: August 02, 2016 06:49PM

EFF you old man, you know 757 is cheataz land

Date: August 02, 2016 06:49PM

screw you punk

Date: August 02, 2016 06:59PM

757 Cheats I know it, I know it, I really know it. I am sorry for their sins and mine.

Date: August 02, 2016 07:00PM

And I know I can't get over it but I still have a small penis

Date: August 02, 2016 07:12PM

Just a reminder:

VaPreps.com Class 6A Preseason Top Ten

Rank Team 2015 Record
1 Oscar Smith 13-1
2 Westfield 14-1
3 South County 13-1
4 C.D. Hylton 9-3
5 Lake Braddock 11-2
6 Centreville 4-7
7 Colonial Forge 9-2
8 Battlefield 9-3
9 Woodside 7-4
10 Robinson 9-4

Date: August 02, 2016 07:26PM

I bring this poll up to again show that the 757 cheats and Westfield has now started to turn out like the 757 teams with transgressions that don't get punished and under the table BS with parents and team.

Date: August 02, 2016 07:27PM

And I still have a small penis

Date: August 02, 2016 07:27PM

My job this year is to root for the lower division teams to rise up and beat the big power teams.

Date: August 02, 2016 08:26PM

Underdogs never win anything but Winners can & do lose occasionally. Underdogs just keep losing. You're getting used to losing & that's a terrible habit! I feel sorry for you!

Date: August 02, 2016 08:41PM

Mommy never taught me the difference between winners and cheaters.

Date: August 02, 2016 08:41PM

But I do still have a small penis.

Date: August 02, 2016 08:46PM

You little libs have not figured out it is all about WINNING. WINNING is everything, the only thing, does not matter how you get it done.

WINNING!!!!!

Date: August 03, 2016 06:07AM

VHSL Patriot District Rankings
1 SOCO
2 Braddock
3 WePo
4 West Springfield
5 W.T. Woodson
6 T.C. Williams
7 Annandale
8 Mount Vernon
9 R.E. Lee

Date: August 03, 2016 06:09AM

VHSL National District Rankings
1 Wakefield
2 George Marshall
3 Falls Church
4 Thomas Edison
5 J.E.B. Stuart
6 Thomas Jefferson(A)

Date: August 03, 2016 06:11AM

VHSL Liberty District Rankings
1 South Lakes
2 James Madison
3 Hayfield
4 Washington-Lee
5 Langley
6 Yorktown
7 Fairfax
8 McLean

Date: August 03, 2016 06:13AM

VHSL Dulles District Rankings
1 Woodgrove
2 Champe
3 Loudoun V
4 Dominion
5 Heritage
6 Loudoun C
7 Rock Ridge
8 Freedom
9 Park View
10 Riverside

Date: August 03, 2016 06:16AM

VHSL Peninsula District Rankings
1 Hampton
2 Phoebus
3 Woodside
4 Bethel
5 Heritage
6 Kecoughtan
7 Denbigh
8 Gloucester
9 Warwick
10 Menchville

Date: August 03, 2016 06:18AM

VHSL Concorde District Rankings
1 Westfield
2 James Robinson
3 Centreville
4 Chantilly
5 Oakton
6 Herndon

Date: August 03, 2016 06:19AM

VHSL Commonwealth District Rankings
1 Massaponax
2 Colonial Forge
3 North Stafford
4 Brooke Point
5 Mountain View
6 Riverbend
7 Stafford

Date: August 03, 2016 06:21AM

Cardinal District Rankings
1 Hylton
2 Battlefield
3 FP
4 Woodbridge
5 Patriot
6 Potomac
7 Freedom
8 Osbourn
9 SJ
10 Osbourn Pk
11 Gar-Field

Date: August 03, 2016 06:24AM

NFL Alumni by Virginia High School
Hampton 12. 757
EC Glass 10
Highland Springs 9
GW-Danville 9
Deep Creek 8. 757
Huguenot 7
BT Washington 7. 757
Warwick 7. 757

Date: August 03, 2016 06:28AM

VHSL REFERENCE

If you WIN your FIRST GAME.
You make the PLAYOFFS 80% of the time.

If you LOSE your FIRST GAME.
You make the PLAYOFFS 40% of the time.

Date: August 03, 2016 07:38AM

If you root for 757/Beach teams odds are you have a small penis (trust me I know)

Date: August 03, 2016 07:57AM

Colman HS Football has their 11st Practice yesterday...

Predictions for 2016?

Date: August 03, 2016 08:12AM

InsideNOVA List of PreSeason Scrimmages...

Predictions & what else is scheduled.

BATTLEFIELD

Aug. 12 at Brooke Point, 6 p.m.

Aug. 18 at Madison, 6 p.m.

BRENTSVILLE

Aug. 11 vs. Stonewall Jackson/Gar-Field at Patriot HS, 9 a.m.

Aug. 19 Rock Ridge/George Mason, 6 p.m.

COLGAN

Aug. 23 Battlefield, 5 p.m. _ X

GAR-FIELD

Aug. 11 vs. Stonewall Jackson/Brentsville at Patriot HS, 9 a.m.

Aug. 18 Stuart, 6 p.m.

FOREST PARK

Aug. 12 at Potomac, 6 p.m.

Aug. 19 Massaponax, 7 p.m.

FREEDOM

Aug. 12 at Falls Church Jamboree (Freedom, Falls Church and Park View), 6 p.m.

Aug. 19 at Yorktown, 7 p.m.

HYLTON

Aug. 11 vs. Henrico at Potomac HS, 7 p.m.

Aug. 19 at Centreville, 7 p.m.

MANASSAS PARK

Aug. 11 at Riverside, 5:30 p.m.

Aug. 18 Freedom-South Riding, 7 p.m.

OSBOURN

Aug. 12 at Broad Run, 6 p.m.

Aug. 18 Robinson, 6 p.m.

OSBOURN PARK

Aug. 12 Avalon School (Md.), 6 p.m.

Aug. 18 at Friendship Collegiate (D.C.), 5 p.m.

PATRIOT

Aug. 11 Colonial Forge, 6 p.m.

Aug. 18 at Stone Bridge, 6 p.m.

POTOMAC

Aug. 12 Forest Park, 6 p.m.

Aug. 18 at Colonial Forge, 6 p.m.

STONEWALL JACKSON

Aug. 11 vs. Brentsville and Gar-Field at Patriot HS, 9 a.m.

Aug. 18 at Tuscarora, 6 p.m.

WOODBRIDGE

Aug. 12 Petersburg and Caroline County, 6 p.m.

Aug. 19 at Bishop Sullivan, 6 p.m. (benefit game)

Date: August 03, 2016 08:31AM

The game of football is under attack. (Juvenile Troll)

We see it every day in the headlines and on the news. The medical concerns are pressing. The game has taken its share of criticism. President Barack Obama said that if he had boys he wouldn’t let them play football. Even LeBron James has publicly said no football in his house.

The question is asked over and over: Why would anyone want to play football? And why would anyone let their kids play?

Here’s my answer: I believe there’s practically no other place where a young man is held to a higher standard.

Football is hard. It’s tough. It demands discipline. It teaches obedience. It builds character.

Football is a metaphor for life.

This game asks a young man to push himself further than he ever thought he could go. It literally challenges his physical courage. It shows him what it means to sacrifice. It teaches him the importance of doing his job well. We learn to put others first, to be part of something bigger than ourselves. And we learn to lift our team mates – and ourselves – up together.

These are rare lessons nowadays.

Football has faced challenges like this before.

In 1905, there were 19 player deaths and at least 137 serious injuries. Many of these occurred at the high school and college levels. Major colleges said they were going to drop football because the game had become too violent.

That’s when President Teddy Roosevelt stepped in to call a meeting with coaches and athletic advisers from Harvard, Princeton and Yale. He wanted to find a way to make the game safer. They made significant changes, introducing new rules like the forward pass and the wide receiver position. Those changes turned football more into the game we know it as today.

We made progress. Rules changed. Society evolved. The game advanced.

We’re at another turning point in our sport. The concussion issue is real and we have to face it.

We have to continue to get players in better helmets. We have to teach tackling the right way, and that starts at the NFL level. Change the rules. Take certain things out of the game. It’s all the right thing to do.

But even with all of that, the importance of football hasn’t changed. In some ways, it’s more important than ever.

And I believe the most critical place for football is at the youth and high school levels. For 97 percent of football players, the pinnacle of their careers is the high school game. Few players ever go on to the college level. Even less make it to the pros.

For a lot of these kids, it’s not until it’s all said and done, and they look back on it several years later, that they realize the difference the sport made in their lives. They are proud of playing the game. Have you ever met anybody who accomplished playing four years of high school football, and at the end of that run said, ‘Man, I wish I wouldn’t have played’? It doesn’t get said.

We know that football players aren’t perfect. Nobody is. But millions of former players, one by one, can recount the life-altering principles they learned from football.

They know the value of football is the values in football.

That’s why high school football – and particularly high school coaches – play such a vital role in our society. Our football coaches are on the front lines of the battle for the hearts and minds of the young men in our society. The culture war is on and we see it every day. These young men are more vulnerable than ever.

How many youth and high school coaches serve as a father figure to their players? How many mothers look to the coaches of their son’s football team as the last best hope to show their son what it means to become a man – a real man? More than we’ll ever know.

Coaches teach our young people the lessons of life that very often they learn from no one else. Coaches have the kind of influence in our schools, and with our young people, that is difficult to come by.

Billy Graham once said, “One coach will influence more people in one year than the average person will do in a lifetime.” My dad also says all the time that it just takes one person to believe in a young man or young woman to change their lives. I couldn’t agree more.

Our culture teaches us to judge an activity by how it’s going to make us feel right now. But football doesn’t work that way. The game challenges and pushes us. It’s often uncomfortable. It requires us to be at our best.

Isn’t that what we want in our society?

Football is a great sport. Football teams can be, and very often are, the catalyst for good in our schools and our communities. Millions of young men have learned lessons in football that they could only learn through playing this game. Football has saved lives.

That is why football matters.

Date: August 03, 2016 08:46AM

I am a dumb shit because I fail to realize that other people on this site like football too. I also fail to realize that after all that wonderful church going sentiment above I still root for 757 teams that are know cheaters. I must be schizophrenic. And I have a small penis.

Date: August 03, 2016 08:46AM

known cheaters

Date: August 03, 2016 09:11AM

Cardinal District Rankings
1 Hylton
2 Battlefield
3 FP
4 Woodbridge
5 Patriot
6 Potomac
7 Freedom
8 Osbourn
9 SJ
10 Osbourn Pk
11 Gar-Field

-------

I have to rank Battlefield #1. They are returning practically their entire Northern Region semi-final team that nearly knocked off LB. I think they are a dark horse to represent 6A North in the state championship. I boldly predict they will go undefeated in the regular season. 10-0.

Posted by: 757() ()
Date: August 03, 2016 09:35AM

2016 Schedule: Battlefield (2015: 9-3)

Fri. 8/26 - at Hylton, 7 p.m.

Fri. 9/2 - vs. Gar-Field, 7 p.m.

Fri. 9/9 - vs. Woodbridge, 7 p.m.

Fri. 9/16 - vs. Riverbend, 7 p.m.

Fri. 9/23 - at North Stafford, 7 p.m.

Fri. 9/30 - at Potomac (Va.), 7 p.m.

Fri. 10/7 - at Osbourn Park, 7 p.m.

Fri. 10/14 - vs. Osbourn, 7 p.m.

Fri. 10/28 - at Stonewall Jackson, 7:30 p.m.

Fri. 11/4 - at Patriot, 7 p.m.

Looks Like the 8/26 battle vs C.D. Hylton will be the big test, but the Cardinal District has had a rough time in the play-offs lately. Battlefield has had success in years past but it's been a while. Are the same coaches in place & the same systems? Y'all need to play tougher competition during the year. The Beach District has the same problem!

Posted by: 757() ()
Date: August 03, 2016 09:43AM

frequentwatcheroffootball :: I am definitely a Smith Homer & Our SouthEastern District has been too soft too. I believe Battelfield & Smith have battled in the past. Hope y'all make a deep run into late November and into December!

Posted by: (757) ()
Date: August 03, 2016 09:53AM

Per Washington Post:

Fairfax County. Here are some of the most intriguing rematches this fall:

Sept. 16: Centreville at Broad Run (Broad Run won last year’s installment, 56-21)

Sept. 23: Tuscarora at Centreville (Tuscarora won, 49-42)

Sept. 23: Westfield at Stone Bridge (Westfield won, 28-7)

Oct. 7: Westfield at Briar Woods (Westfield won, 36-0)

Oct. 7: Stone Bridge at Robinson (Robinson won, 27-20)

Battlefield at Hylton, Aug. 26

Hylton junior Ricky Slade will be out for revenge in this Prince William County showdown. The five-star tailback, who missed much of last season with an injury, gained just 36 yards on 13 carries during the Bulldogs’ 28-0 loss to Battlefield in last year’s season opener.

Westfield at South County, Sept. 9

Tuscarora at Stone Bridge, Oct. 21

Posted by: Football is Overrated! ()
Date: August 03, 2016 09:55AM

757 Wrote:
> The game of football is under attack. (Juvenile
> Troll)
>
> We see it every day in the headlines and on the
> news. The medical concerns are pressing. The game
> has taken its share of criticism. President Barack
> Obama said that if he had boys he wouldn’t let
> them play football. Even LeBron James has publicly
> said no football in his house.
>
> The question is asked over and over: Why would
> anyone want to play football? And why would anyone
> let their kids play?
>
> Here’s my answer: I believe there’s
> practically no other place where a young man is
> held to a higher standard.

What about young women?

>
> Football is hard. It’s tough. It demands
> discipline. It teaches obedience. It builds
> character.
>
> Football is a metaphor for life.
>

If that's true, explain how life managed to go on for millennia before football was invented, how life goes on in most of the world-where football is not played.

> This game asks a young man to push himself further
> than he ever thought he could go. It literally
> challenges his physical courage. It shows him what
> it means to sacrifice. It teaches him the
> importance of doing his job well. We learn to put
> others first, to be part of something bigger than
> ourselves. And we learn to lift our team mates –
> and ourselves – up together.
>
> These are rare lessons nowadays.
>
> Football has faced challenges like this before.
>
> In 1905, there were 19 player deaths and at least
> 137 serious injuries. Many of these occurred at
> the high school and college levels. Major colleges
> said they were going to drop football because the
> game had become too violent.
>
> That’s when President Teddy Roosevelt stepped in
> to call a meeting with coaches and athletic
> advisers from Harvard, Princeton and Yale. He
> wanted to find a way to make the game safer. They
> made significant changes, introducing new rules
> like the forward pass and the wide receiver
> position. Those changes turned football more into
> the game we know it as today.
>
> We made progress. Rules changed. Society evolved.
> The game advanced.
>
> We’re at another turning point in our sport. The
> concussion issue is real and we have to face it.
>
> We have to continue to get players in better
> helmets. We have to teach tackling the right way,
> and that starts at the NFL level. Change the
> rules. Take certain things out of the game. It’s
> all the right thing to do.
>
> But even with all of that, the importance of
> football hasn’t changed. In some ways, it’s
> more important than ever.
>
> And I believe the most critical place for football
> is at the youth and high school levels. For 97
> percent of football players, the pinnacle of their
> careers is the high school game. Few players ever
> go on to the college level. Even less make it to
> the pros.
>
> For a lot of these kids, it’s not until it’s
> all said and done, and they look back on it
> several years later, that they realize the
> difference the sport made in their lives. They are
> proud of playing the game. Have you ever met
> anybody who accomplished playing four years of
> high school football, and at the end of that run
> said, ‘Man, I wish I wouldn’t have played’?
> It doesn’t get said.
>

Have there been empirical studies done to support this claim.

> We know that football players aren’t perfect.
> Nobody is. But millions of former players, one by
> one, can recount the life-altering principles they
> learned from football.
>
> They know the value of football is the values in
> football.
>
> That’s why high school football – and
> particularly high school coaches – play such a
> vital role in our society. Our football coaches
> are on the front lines of the battle for the
> hearts and minds of the young men in our society.
> The culture war is on and we see it every day.
> These young men are more vulnerable than ever.
>

Once again-young men-the gender-exclusionary nature of football is a problem!

> How many youth and high school coaches serve as a
> father figure to their players? How many mothers
> look to the coaches of their son’s football team
> as the last best hope to show their son what it
> means to become a man – a real man? More than
> we’ll ever know.
>
> Coaches teach our young people the lessons of life
> that very often they learn from no one else.
> Coaches have the kind of influence in our schools,
> and with our young people, that is difficult to
> come by.
>
> Billy Graham once said, “One coach will
> influence more people in one year than the average
> person will do in a lifetime.” My dad also says
> all the time that it just takes one person to
> believe in a young man or young woman to change
> their lives. I couldn’t agree more.

It is nice, I guess, that he said that, but is there support for this claim? One might argue that the same claim could be made for teachers-and they help BOTH boys and girls!

>
> Our culture teaches us to judge an activity by how
> it’s going to make us feel right now. But
> football doesn’t work that way. The game
> challenges and pushes us. It’s often
> uncomfortable. It requires us to be at our best.
>
> Isn’t that what we want in our society?
>
> Football is a great sport. Football teams can be,
> and very often are, the catalyst for good in our
> schools and our communities. Millions of young men
> have learned lessons in football that they could
> only learn through playing this game. Football has
> saved lives.
>
> That is why football matters.

Football excludes girls. Football is expensive. Football has engendered a pernicious rape culture.

If you want your kids to play football, sign them up for an athletic club.

Date: August 03, 2016 10:08AM

Sorry to bust your LIBTARD Bubble, Football is Overrated:

2015 Wilson TD pass could be 1st thrown by girl in Va. High School League history!
Attachments:
tmp-cam--2077762794.jpg

Posted by: 757 needs to pay attention ()
Date: August 03, 2016 10:21AM

(757) Wrote:
> Sorry to bust your LIBTARD Bubble, Football is
> Overrated:
>
> 2015 Wilson TD pass could be 1st thrown by girl in
> Va. High School League history!

Why did we have to wait until 2015 for this to happen? If you admit that girls can play football, why do you keep saying "young men" in your post?

Date: August 03, 2016 10:44AM

Definition of a politically correct Libtard. Ask people to "conform to your use of terminology despite the fact that less than 1% of the time should gender neutrality be utilized.

Find were VHSL denies females to play football.......

Girls have the ability to form their own leagues. They have the same opportunities to learn and grow from football if they have the ability to compete as anyone else does. No one prohibits females from playing football. The above article celebrates that player's accomplishment & for You to assume that 2015 was the first year girls played football dishonor her accomplishment! You need to do your research.

I realize you have to keep your job as a paid liberal Troll on message boards, I am just calling you out on your BS! The premise of your argument is weak, just like your principles!

Posted by: Feel sorry for 757 ()
Date: August 03, 2016 10:49AM

(757) Wrote:
> Definition of a politically correct Libtard. Ask
> people to "conform to your use of terminology
> despite the fact that less than 1% of the time
> should gender neutrality be utilized.
>
> Find were VHSL denies females to play
> football.......
>
> Girls have the ability to form their own leagues.
> They have the same opportunities to learn and grow
> from football if they have the ability to compete
> as anyone else does. No one prohibits females from
> playing football. The above article celebrates
> that player's accomplishment & for You to assume
> that 2015 was the first year girls played football
> dishonor her accomplishment! You need to do your
> research.
>
> I realize you have to keep your job as a paid
> liberal Troll on message boards, I am just calling
> you out on your BS! The premise of your argument
> is weak, just like your principles!

Can you read? Go up a few posts. A girl was denied a spot on a football team because it was argued that "since girls did not get football scholarships, she would be taking a space from a boy." That's just wonderful.

Let's keep going. How about disabled students? What does football have to offer them?

Posted by: purenonesense ()
Date: August 03, 2016 11:14AM

Football is Overrated! Wrote:

> What about young women?

You are using a passe term - "women." You are BIG problem. You are living in the past to use such exclusionary and oppressive nomenclature. Any sports a non-gendered person participates in can provide this type of learning environment. It is not exclusive to football but football is an important tool.

> If that's true, explain how life managed to go on
> for millennia before football was invented, how
> life goes on in most of the world-where football
> is not played.

This is a classic straw-man argument. No one has made the claim that life cannot go on without football.

> Have there been empirical studies done to support
> this claim.

Who really cares? Anyone with personal experience knows this is largely true. Why would there need to be a study done?

> Once again-young men-the gender-exclusionary
> nature of football is a problem!

You have already been disproven on the gender-exclusionary point. And secondly, it is a BIG problem that you keep using the word "gender." There is no such thing and it is oppressive of you to keep trying to make such a distinction.

> It is nice, I guess, that he said that, but is
> there support for this claim? One might argue that
> the same claim could be made for teachers-and they
> help BOTH boys and girls!

I don't understand your comment at all. What are you trying to say other than that you keep pushing your passe "boys and girls" gender distinctions. What kind of totalitarian monster are you?

> Football excludes girls. Football is expensive.
> Football has engendered a pernicious rape
> culture.
>
> If you want your kids to play football, sign them
> up for an athletic club.

There you go with the "girls" thing again. You are a real bigot. Where is your empirical study that football has a pernicious rape culture? Other than hysterical platitudes from liberal rags? Funny how you accept the word of anonymous poster ("scholarships") but you demand empirical studies where common sense suffices.

Posted by: Football Rape Culture ()
Date: August 03, 2016 11:23AM

http://chronicle.com/article/We-Write-the-Violence-Out/237340

Football rape is a real problem. I say, remove it from schools, relegate it to athletic clubs.

And yes, some coaches do have an impact. Just look at Jerry Sandusky and Joe Paterno. Their legacies will live forever.

Posted by: LdvHk ()
Date: August 03, 2016 11:39AM

Football Rape Culture Wrote:
> http://chronicle.com/article/We-Write-the-Violence
> -Out/237340

Other than hysterical platitudes from liberal rags. Strike one.

> Football rape is a real problem.

No. It is not. Nothing more needs to be said.

Posted by: it is a respected publication ()
Date: August 03, 2016 11:41AM

What's wrong, Biff, that job hauling cars at Target doesn't pay enough for you to put your brats into an athletic club, so you expect people to subsidize your vicarious football fantasy?

Get real, and if you dent my car, I'll dent you.

Posted by: MPcet ()
Date: August 03, 2016 11:50AM

it is a respected publication Wrote:
> What's wrong, Biff, that job hauling cars at
> Target doesn't pay enough for you to put your
> brats into an athletic club, so you expect people
> to subsidize your vicarious football fantasy?
>
> Get real, and if you dent my car, I'll dent you.

You are so funny. I guess you don't realize that there are over 15,000 high school football teams in the USA and that there are over a million kids that play high school football. I think your perspective is warped and not really worthy of intelligent discussion. But I am bored therefore the comments.

Re: High School Football 2016 Top 10 RB's in Northern Region
Posted by: Dorian Jackson ()
Date: August 03, 2016 11:56AM

Who barbers top RB's in the northern region?

top RB's in the region
Posted by: Skip Bayless ()
Date: August 03, 2016 12:04PM

Who are the top RB's in the region this season?

Date: August 03, 2016 12:45PM

If girls were interested in playing football, there is Zero blocking them from starting their own league or asking VHSL from allowing them to start their own programs. Girls have & do participate in VHSL Football.

Trying to make the accusation that just because someone plays football that they rape is weak and discriminatory and suggests of racism. In our urban areas, football is a powerful tool for minorities to utilize for pulling themselves out of poverty and the lower middle class. Simply put, removing football has a definite tone of racial discrimination! You would deny some one football that teaches kids to persevere through hardship and to set and maintain their goals for achievement and success?

Football is much more than 11 vs 11, a ball, and 120 yards of grass. It's clear you don't understand that. Football is a symptom of our Great America & you likely want us to be more like another nation instead of whom we are!

Posted by: 757 failed English ()
Date: August 03, 2016 01:28PM

(757) Wrote:
> If girls were interested in playing football,
> there is Zero blocking them from starting their
> own league or asking VHSL from allowing them to
> start their own programs. Girls have & do
> participate in VHSL Football.
>
> Trying to make the accusation that just because
> someone plays football that they rape is weak and
> discriminatory and suggests of racism. In our
> urban areas, football is a powerful tool for
> minorities to utilize for pulling themselves out
> of poverty and the lower middle class. Simply put,
> removing football has a definite tone of racial
> discrimination! You would deny some one football
> that teaches kids to persevere through hardship
> and to set and maintain their goals for
> achievement and success?
>
> Football is much more than 11 vs 11, a ball, and
> 120 yards of grass. It's clear you don't
> understand that. Football is a symptom of our
> Great America & you likely want us to be more like
> another nation instead of whom we are!

If football is the key to a nation's success, how is it that America was founded before football even existed?

It seems to me that you should have paid more attention in both civics and English. You are a very poor ambassador for football. I think you need to head back out into the parking lot and get the carts.

Date: August 03, 2016 01:29PM

I still have a small penis

Posted by: purenonesense ()
Date: August 03, 2016 01:36PM

757 failed English Wrote:

> If football is the key to a nation's success, how
> is it that America was founded before football
> even existed?

You are a pathetically inept troll. No one is claiming that football is a key to the nation’s success. That is you making that claim.

> It seems to me that you should have paid more
> attention in both civics and English. You are a
> very poor ambassador for football. I think you
> need to head back out into the parking lot and get
> the carts.

Again. You don't even make any sense. No one is claiming they are an ambassador for football. That is you.

Posted by: illiterate football fan ()
Date: August 03, 2016 01:42PM

purenonesense Wrote:
> 757 failed English Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > If football is the key to a nation's success,
> how
> > is it that America was founded before football
> > even existed?
>
> You are a pathetically inept troll. No one is
> claiming that football is a key to the nation’s
> success. That is you making that claim.
>
>
> > It seems to me that you should have paid more
> > attention in both civics and English. You are a
> > very poor ambassador for football. I think you
> > need to head back out into the parking lot and
> get
> > the carts.
>
> Again. You don't even make any sense. No one is
> claiming they are an ambassador for football.
> That is you.

Whatever-"757" writes very, very poorly. If that's what football can do for you, I think I'll pass.

Date: August 03, 2016 01:49PM

I am sorry, what do you expect - I root for cheataz and have a small penis. I can't help it if I also can't write good.

But Oscar Smith will win the state title this year.

WINNING!!!!!!!

Date: August 03, 2016 02:06PM

Civics lesson? Where do you think football originated?

How about addressing your racist bent against America's most favorite professional sport?

You are on a message board focused on High School Football. It's a source of great, inexpensive entertainment for me and millions of us in the USA. There is absolutely nothing your liberal, narrow minded brain can produce that will change those facts. I love winners and everything it takes to be one. You are jealous & petty and deserve no more of my time!

Pages: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 28

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.