HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123456AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: FCPS destroys another life
Posted by: tubby ()
Date: March 22, 2009 07:39PM

Thomas More Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ty Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > thank you Thomas More, thank you.
> >
> > Now how do we change the polices in place?
>
> We have to change the SB. This SB is broken and
> dysfunctional. We can only change it by changing
> the way we choose SB candidates.
>
> For the foreseeable future, the school board will
> be controlled by those endorsed by FCDC. FCDC has
> got to stop looking at SB as the minor leagues in
> which to groom people to run for "higher" office.
>
> The SB and FCPS controls 57% of the County budget,
> the last time I checked. Now that the County is
> built out it may well be that the BOS is the minor
> leagues.
>
> FCDC has got to change the endorsement process to
> be open and transparent for 2011.
>
> FCDC has got to create a committee focused on
> FCPS, the local issues committee which rarely
> meets cannot serve this function.
>
> Endorsement of district school board members has
> to be made by the district committees of FCDC who
> better know what's going in local schools.
>
> FCDC should only endorse the at large candidates
> who have been vetted by a FCPS committee of FCDC.
>
>
> BTW,participation in PTAs and PTOs is not a
> prerequisite to SB qualification. Personnel and
> curriculum discussions are generally off limits to
> PTA/PTOs. Yet these are the very issues that are
> at the heart of running a school system. Too many
> PTA/PTO people I have encountered over the last 25
> years of dealing with them are sycophants to
> administrators. The comedic stereotype is based in
> reality. That's a broad generalization and doesn't
> apply to every PTO/PTA officer but at the very
> least it creates a rebutable presumption on any
> PTO/PTA person who seeks SB position to show their
> willingness to criticize the current
> administration and do something different.
>
> Just some initial thoughts on changing a failing
> system.

Yeah Tom, it's those goddamned democrats again....always too dumb to vote for what's good for them...

I say we return to an appointed School Board and let Thomas More make the appointments! Any seconds?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: March 22, 2009 07:54PM

tubby Wrote:
> Yeah Tom, it's those goddamned democrats again....always too dumb to vote for what's good for them...< <

I am a "goddamned democrat."

> > I say we return to an appointed School Board and let Thomas More make the appointments! Any seconds?< <

No, thanks. After 21 years, I'm almost done with FCPS.

Posted by: guesswho ()
Date: March 22, 2009 09:27PM

watchinyou must be a FCPS administrator

Don't you think? Ever done anything wrong miss watchinyou? hypocritical through and through

Thomas More Wrote:
> watchinyou Wrote:
> -----
> > Stop the whining and move on, Cant be a
> productive member of Society because they moved
> you to
> > another high school??? Please! Believe me if
> thats
> > the biggest roadblock you encounter in life ,
> you
> > are lucky,,,
>
> I am so sick of your misanthropic bovine
> excrement. Go read another blog or thread if you
> have nothing to contribute except hatred and bile.

Posted by: Huter ()
Date: March 22, 2009 09:35PM

Some have referenced apeals administrator Dana Scanlon and it is true, she is the filth of the earth. Scanlon is a grotesque stupid, miserable, petty tyrant. And a gutless coward.

Posted by: me- ()
Date: March 22, 2009 09:44PM

Huter ()
Date: March 22, 2009 09:35PM

Some have referenced apeals administrator Dana Scanlon and it is true, she is the filth of the earth. Scanlon is a grotesque stupid, miserable, petty tyrant. And a gutless coward.

hey thats exactly how i feel.... oh and watchinyou, even if u do enough research to find out who I am i could really care less what any fairfax county official thinks of me. Dana is a peice of shit - i dont know any other fcps officials but if their employing Dana Scanlon they deserve to be fired

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: March 22, 2009 10:23PM

Dana Scanlon and Paul Reigner are people I would like to see get hit by a bus.

Posted by: =) ()
Date: March 22, 2009 10:27PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Dana Scanlon and Paul Reigner are people I would
> like to see get hit by a bus.

CHA-CHING + 1 x 1,000,000,000,000 thats one trillion!

Posted by: what is this costing us? ()
Date: March 22, 2009 10:51PM

Holy cow-how much money are we spending on this Hearings Office?? I thought I read $1 million was the budget for this BS. I am all for kicking out dangerous students but these people define "dangerous" too broadly.

Mt Vernon HS had over 1000 suspensions last year. A letter gets mailed out that someone has to prepare, the administrators must spend half their day on reactive policies. Where are the Positive Behavior Programs? Oh, I forgot, we killed all these programs in the last budget cycle.

These people are positively moronic.

Date: March 22, 2009 10:59PM

1,000 x .34 = $340 x 25 high schools = $8500. We could save a bit of money not mailing out just suspension letters.

Posted by: very dangerous ()
Date: March 22, 2009 11:54PM

FCPS would love for the parents to think that all this time and money wasted on this Zero Tolerance crap is to protect our kids from a Columbine massacre.

How many expulsions were there last year exactly in the high schools?

The expulsions are SUPPOSED to be the really serious cases-gangs, drug dealing, assault on the teachers, etc.

So, guess how many expulsions we had for the $1 million plus we spend on ZT?

1000? no.
100? no.

There were 9 expulsions in the 25 high schoools last year.

Since we just learned that the kid from South Lakes who took his life was expelled for pot smoking, we have an idea of the dangerous kids we are talking about.

Posted by: just a thought ()
Date: March 23, 2009 12:08AM

my question is, why are they focusing so much on these "dangerous" pot smokers, and less on the REALLY dangerous high school students who are going to bring a gun to school one day and shoot our children. maybe if dana scanlon focused a little more of her time on these ticking time bombs and less on her self-promoting crusade to persecute every child who steps in front of her, regardless of their "crime," our schools would REALLY be a little safer.

Posted by: Biggest money wasters ()
Date: March 23, 2009 12:12AM

Let's run some numbers.....

We spend about $13,000 per student for 181 school days. So, the taxpayers shell out about $72 per day per student.

FCPS uses the following catagories:

expulsion
modified expulsion to suspension-usually 20 days of no school
long term suspension: 10 days of no school
short term suspension: 3 days of no school

Let's look at Mt Vernon HS and how they are spending the taxpayer money:

2007-08 school year:

22 modified expulsions=440 lost school days= $31,680
29 long term suspensions=290 lost school days= $20,880
845 short term suspensions=2535 lost school days= $182,520

One high school WASTED $235,000 in one school year.

Look at the drop out data for this school, SAT take rates, IB participation rates....I bet they SUCK.

And FCPS wonders why. 3265 LOST SCHOOL DAYS. No instruction-yet all the staff gets paid-for what??????

If I was on the Board of Supervisors, I would be asking for some of this money back.

Posted by: VAViking ()
Date: March 23, 2009 01:38AM

Watchinyou wrote:

>amazing how you could be present in 3 different high schools to watch individual cases all go through the system with completely different results. And as far as "its a >pretty good assumption that they are doing it on school property" , that is about as valid as the cop coming to your house and arresting you for something he assumes >you are doing. That completely contradictes the very fairness of due process you are ranting about. Come around and look at the real world, as long as they are >humans involved, every case will not be a carbon copy of the other.

Lets look at certain facts. The following was pulled either from the Virginia Department of Education website or the FCPS website. This is not "bad info" as you sneered at in another post, but information reported by FCPS to the State as required by law:

Alcohol, Tobacco and other drug offenses (ATODO) (All), Time Element (All).

The first number is the total number of incidents at the school for ATODO. The second number represents "no disciplinary action" taken by the school for ATODO. The percentage compares the "no action taken" to the total number of incidents for ATODO. I pulled three years for comparison purposes. But first, lets look at the high schools...

Per FCPS website - 2007/2008 enrollment figures.
McLean - 1,561
Mt. Vernon - 1,402
Westfield - 2,728

Alcohol, Tobacco and other drug offenses (ATODO) (percentages are rounded)
07/08: McLean 65, 57, 88% / Mt Vernon 33, 7, 21% / Westfield 24, 9, 38%
06/07: McLean 70, 43, 61% / Mt Vernon 18, 6, 33% / Westfield 32, 17, 53%
05/06: McLean 21, 11, 52% / Mt Vernon 28, 16, 57% / Westfield 41, 17, 41%

Totals:
McLean - out of a total of 156 incidents, no action was taken on 111 cases or 71% of the time.
Mt. Vernon - out of a total of 79 incidents, no action was taken on 29 cases or 37% of the time.
Westfield - out of a total of 97 incidents, no action was taken on 43 cases or 44% of the time.

Interesting, isn't it Watchinyou? Lets add some more facts to the pot.

McLean is one of the richest areas in Fairfax County. Homes there go for $750,000 and up. Families there have MONEY. Lots and lots of money.

Assumption: Families in McLean have the cash to a.) donate to the political campaigns of politicians running for the Board of Supervisors and b.) to hire lawyers to sue the shit out of the FCPS if they dare try to suspend or expel their darling little brats. Fact - 71% of the time they take no action. I ASSUME that the only way you can get busted in McLean is if they catch you red-handed with a blunt in your locker.

Mt. Vernon isn't as wealthy, not by a long shot. I ASSUME that's why FCPS took action 63% of the time on ATODO incidents.

Westfield is also interesting. The school is almost twice as large as McLean or Mt. Vernon and yet they only had two thirds the number of reported incidents. As an accountant and financial analyst, I find that statistically odd. Also, some of the families in Westfield have MONEY, don't they Watchinyou? Home prices in the 20120 zip code are way up there. Home prices in Sully Estates, The Ridings and Braddock Downs can reach one million or more, even in today's market. Plus, they are helicopter parents as well. That must be a bitch, isn't it Watchinyou? Wealthy parents who can hire lawyers and who donate to political campaigns and probably have Bulova and Connely on speed dial must be a real pain. I ASSUME that's why Westfield looks the other way most of the time.

Neither I nor anyone else needs to be in three different high schools to follow these cases through the system. All we have to do is pull the numbers. So you can sneer and blow smoke up everyone's ass, but it doesn't change the numbers or the facts. FCPS does not enforce it's policies evenly or equally. As I said before, you get a slap on the wrist at McLean, busted at Mt. Vernon and ignored at Westfield.

One other thing Watchinyou. I vote. I vote in every election. I voted for Cook and my mom did as well. I then drove a bunch of my neighbors to the polls and they voted for him as well. I know all the old farts around here, the ones who vote in EVERY single freaking election. It wouldn't be all that hard for me to walk around my neighborhood and collect at least 100 signatures of REGISTERED VOTERS WHO VOTE IN EVERY FREAKING ELECTION and deliver them to Cook. Yep, I'd get at least five minutes with the man.

I also helped Pat Herrity as well. He and I went to the same high school a long time ago, back when West Springfield had a student smoking section. We graduated in different years, but we still are Spartans. I helped his campaign as well. I didn't work for him officially, but I did talk him up with all the old farts who live in his district when he first ran for office. I know a lot of them. "Yep," I said, "Pat would do a good job for Springfield. Remember, he lived here." And they listened to me, at least some of them did, the ones that vote IN EVERY SINGLE ELECTION. I drove some of them to the polls as well. Just being neighborly. It wouldn't be that hard for me to give him a list of a hundred or so names of the old fart brigade. Yep, I think I could get at least five minutes with him as well.

I'd probably be able to get five minutes with Bulova as well. She knows the score in Fairfax County. She know all about the old fart's brigade. They're the ones who put her in the Chairman seat. They are the "gold votes" as it is called.

You see Watchinyou, Fairfax may have a million plus residents, but only a small portion vote in all these little by-elections. Politics in Fairfax is local, very local. All it really takes is one man walking around whispering in the right ears, "that school bond issue isn't for the kids. It's for those fat cat administrators to have bigger digs at Gateway II," and all of a sudden the next school bond issue goes down in flames come election time. It's not just those millionaire helicopter parents FCPS has to worry about, they also have to worry about the old fart's brigade as well. And they are pissed Watchinyou. They are really, really pissed. It wouldn't take much to set them off. Just the right word in the right ear at the right time. That's how politics works in Fairfax County.

So you might want to choose your words more carefully in the future. Just a friendly warning. In fact, you might want to get your supervisor over at FCPS to review your posts. Just a suggestion. It's little flame wars like this that just might bite the FCPS right in the ass. It's happened before.

Posted by: azzz ()
Date: March 23, 2009 06:08AM

PresaCanario Wrote:
> Actions have consequences.

suck my balls, you're telling me that you never once as a teenager drank under the age of 21? cause if you did, you broke the law. Now think about doing a drug that is far less destructive to your mind and body.

Posted by: azzz ()
Date: March 23, 2009 06:15AM

WashingTone Locian Wrote:
> I'm very skeptical that a one-time offense would
> result in this kind of treatment. Also, the kid
> must have had a bunch of other issues in addition
> to this if he would hang himself. God forbid
> friends or family could have played a role. Right?

When has FCPS ever not kicked someone out for a first offense on drugs? There were no second offenses needed. And in terms of "having a bunch of other issues if he would hang himself", i dont think any other issue is needed when you think about how, A.) he was made a pariah to his whole social community and his friends, B.) his academic life and hope for going to a good college/having a future was ruined. When you're 16 years old and something like this happens, it would be hard to see the sunny side of things, as far as you know in your short time on this earth, your life is over.
I guess im just tired of the hypocracy that goes on in this nation, getting drugs on the street is immoral and illegal, yet going to your doctor to get those same drugs is very acceptable.

Posted by: watchinyou ()
Date: March 23, 2009 07:02AM

losers are so easy to fire up....use your free time to learn some new put downs, you have plenty of it now

Posted by: me the "loser" haha ()
Date: March 23, 2009 07:34AM

watchinyou Wrote:
> losers are so easy to fire up....use your free
> time to learn some new put downs, you have plenty
> of it now

haha umm if this was directed towards me explain how i have plenty of free time

Posted by: parent ()
Date: March 23, 2009 07:47AM

VAViking--

Great post. You got it exactly right.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 23, 2009 07:51AM

azzz Wrote:
> And in terms of "having a bunch
> of other issues if he would hang himself", i dont
> think any other issue is needed when you think
> about how, A.) he was made a pariah to his whole
> social community and his friends, B.) his academic
> life and hope for going to a good college/having a
> future was ruined. When you're 16 years old and
> something like this happens, it would be hard to
> see the sunny side of things, as far as you know
> in your short time on this earth, your life is
> over.

+1, I can easily see how a person that age would see no hope. There is a lot of pressure in our area of country to succeed, move on to college, etc. It is sad, but the school system is certainly taking this consequence on as a known and acceptable risk when they expel a student for having MJ residue in their car or something.

Date: March 23, 2009 08:39AM

VAViking Wrote:
> Watchinyou wrote:
>
> >amazing how you could be present in 3 different
> high schools to watch individual cases all go
> through the system with completely different
> results. And as far as "its a >pretty good
> assumption that they are doing it on school
> property" , that is about as valid as the cop
> coming to your house and arresting you for
> something he assumes >you are doing. That
> completely contradictes the very fairness of due
> process you are ranting about. Come around and
> look at the real world, as long as they are
> >humans involved, every case will not be a carbon
> copy of the other.
>
> Lets look at certain facts. The following was
> pulled either from the Virginia Department of
> Education website or the FCPS website. This is
> not "bad info" as you sneered at in another post,
> but information reported by FCPS to the State as
> required by law:
>
> Alcohol, Tobacco and other drug offenses (ATODO)
> (All), Time Element (All).
>
> The first number is the total number of incidents
> at the school for ATODO. The second number
> represents "no disciplinary action" taken by the
> school for ATODO. The percentage compares the "no
> action taken" to the total number of incidents for
> ATODO. I pulled three years for comparison
> purposes. But first, lets look at the high
> schools...
>
> Per FCPS website - 2007/2008 enrollment figures.
> McLean - 1,561
> Mt. Vernon - 1,402
> Westfield - 2,728
>
>
> Alcohol, Tobacco and other drug offenses (ATODO)
> (percentages are rounded)
> 07/08: McLean 65, 57, 88% / Mt Vernon 33, 7, 21% /
> Westfield 24, 9, 38%
> 06/07: McLean 70, 43, 61% / Mt Vernon 18, 6, 33% /
> Westfield 32, 17, 53%
> 05/06: McLean 21, 11, 52% / Mt Vernon 28, 16, 57%
> / Westfield 41, 17, 41%
>
> Totals:
> McLean - out of a total of 156 incidents, no
> action was taken on 111 cases or 71% of the time.
> Mt. Vernon - out of a total of 79 incidents, no
> action was taken on 29 cases or 37% of the time.
> Westfield - out of a total of 97 incidents, no
> action was taken on 43 cases or 44% of the time.
>
> Interesting, isn't it Watchinyou? Lets add some
> more facts to the pot.
>
> McLean is one of the richest areas in Fairfax
> County. Homes there go for $750,000 and up.
> Families there have MONEY. Lots and lots of
> money.
>
> Assumption: Families in McLean have the cash to
> a.) donate to the political campaigns of
> politicians running for the Board of Supervisors
> and b.) to hire lawyers to sue the shit out of the
> FCPS if they dare try to suspend or expel their
> darling little brats. Fact - 71% of the time they
> take no action. I ASSUME that the only way you
> can get busted in McLean is if they catch you
> red-handed with a blunt in your locker.
>
> Mt. Vernon isn't as wealthy, not by a long shot.
> I ASSUME that's why FCPS took action 63% of the
> time on ATODO incidents.
>
> Westfield is also interesting. The school is
> almost twice as large as McLean or Mt. Vernon and
> yet they only had two thirds the number of
> reported incidents. As an accountant and
> financial analyst, I find that statistically odd.
> Also, some of the families in Westfield have
> MONEY, don't they Watchinyou? Home prices in the
> 20120 zip code are way up there. Home prices in
> Sully Estates, The Ridings and Braddock Downs can
> reach one million or more, even in today's market.
> Plus, they are helicopter parents as well. That
> must be a bitch, isn't it Watchinyou? Wealthy
> parents who can hire lawyers and who donate to
> political campaigns and probably have Bulova and
> Connely on speed dial must be a real pain. I
> ASSUME that's why Westfield looks the other way
> most of the time.
>
> Neither I nor anyone else needs to be in three
> different high schools to follow these cases
> through the system. All we have to do is pull the
> numbers. So you can sneer and blow smoke up
> everyone's ass, but it doesn't change the numbers
> or the facts. FCPS does not enforce it's policies
> evenly or equally. As I said before, you get a
> slap on the wrist at McLean, busted at Mt. Vernon
> and ignored at Westfield.
>
> One other thing Watchinyou. I vote. I vote in
> every election. I voted for Cook and my mom did
> as well. I then drove a bunch of my neighbors to
> the polls and they voted for him as well. I know
> all the old farts around here, the ones who vote
> in EVERY single freaking election. It wouldn't be
> all that hard for me to walk around my
> neighborhood and collect at least 100 signatures
> of REGISTERED VOTERS WHO VOTE IN EVERY FREAKING
> ELECTION and deliver them to Cook. Yep, I'd get
> at least five minutes with the man.
>
> I also helped Pat Herrity as well. He and I went
> to the same high school a long time ago, back when
> West Springfield had a student smoking section.
> We graduated in different years, but we still are
> Spartans. I helped his campaign as well. I
> didn't work for him officially, but I did talk him
> up with all the old farts who live in his district
> when he first ran for office. I know a lot of
> them. "Yep," I said, "Pat would do a good job for
> Springfield. Remember, he lived here." And they
> listened to me, at least some of them did, the
> ones that vote IN EVERY SINGLE ELECTION. I drove
> some of them to the polls as well. Just being
> neighborly. It wouldn't be that hard for me to
> give him a list of a hundred or so names of the
> old fart brigade. Yep, I think I could get at
> least five minutes with him as well.
>
> I'd probably be able to get five minutes with
> Bulova as well. She knows the score in Fairfax
> County. She know all about the old fart's
> brigade. They're the ones who put her in the
> Chairman seat. They are the "gold votes" as it is
> called.
>
> You see Watchinyou, Fairfax may have a million
> plus residents, but only a small portion vote in
> all these little by-elections. Politics in
> Fairfax is local, very local. All it really takes
> is one man walking around whispering in the right
> ears, "that school bond issue isn't for the kids.
> It's for those fat cat administrators to have
> bigger digs at Gateway II," and all of a sudden
> the next school bond issue goes down in flames
> come election time. It's not just those
> millionaire helicopter parents FCPS has to worry
> about, they also have to worry about the old
> fart's brigade as well. And they are pissed
> Watchinyou. They are really, really pissed. It
> wouldn't take much to set them off. Just the
> right word in the right ear at the right time.
> That's how politics works in Fairfax County.
>
> So you might want to choose your words more
> carefully in the future. Just a friendly warning.
> In fact, you might want to get your supervisor
> over at FCPS to review your posts. Just a
> suggestion. It's little flame wars like this that
> just might bite the FCPS right in the ass. It's
> happened before.

, thanks for the lesson, ranting and list of your friends in high places, but as I recall it is still a free country and as a taxpayer am still entitled to my own opinion...unless the old farts, whoever or whatever that really is, get together and decide against it

Posted by: more money wasted ()
Date: March 23, 2009 10:19AM

Biggest money wasters Wrote:
> Let's run some numbers.....
>
> We spend about $13,000 per student for 181 school
> days. So, the taxpayers shell out about $72 per
> day per student.
>
> FCPS uses the following catagories:
>
> expulsion
> modified expulsion to suspension-usually 20 days
> of no school
> long term suspension: 10 days of no school
> short term suspension: 3 days of no school
>
> Let's look at Mt Vernon HS and how they are
> spending the taxpayer money:
>
> 2007-08 school year:
>
> 22 modified expulsions=440 lost school days=
> $31,680
> 29 long term suspensions=290 lost school days=
> $20,880
> 845 short term suspensions=2535 lost school days=
> $182,520
>
> One high school WASTED $235,000 in one school
> year.
>
> Look at the drop out data for this school, SAT
> take rates, IB participation rates....I bet they
> SUCK.
>
> And FCPS wonders why. 3265 LOST SCHOOL DAYS. No
> instruction-yet all the staff gets paid-for
> what??????
>
> If I was on the Board of Supervisors, I would be
> asking for some of this money back.

Top High Schools in money wasted on ZT:

Mt Vernon $235,080
Hayfield $145,152
Annandale $113,616
South County $94,392
Stuart $82,944
Lake Braddock$83,520

TOTAL: $754,704 in just 6 of 25 high schools. I haven't even touched the middle/elementary school data.

What an unbelievable waste of money for trivial offenses.

Lost School Days:

Mt Vernon 3265
Hayfield 2016
Annandale 1578
SOCO 1311
Stuart 1152
Lake Brad 1160

Why aren't they dealing with these kids in school???

They are home playing video games no learning anything!!!

For what??

Beacause they are "dangerous"?

Posted by: HH is wise man ()
Date: March 23, 2009 11:43AM

HebrewHammer Wrote:
> The kid killed himself because he got sent to a
> different school and didn't have any friends?
> Are you shitting me?
>
> The all-powerful FCPS was able to cut off all
> contact from his friends? Have you even seen how
> teenagers communicate? They don't talk to each
> other directly, they don't look each other in the
> eyes, they text and send IM's to each other, and
> leave messages on facebook. FCPS could have sent
> him to Alaska, and he wouldn't have noticed the
> difference.
>
> He'd have found another reason to off himself if
> he was that unstable.
>
> FCPS didn't kill him. They probably saved dozens
> of lives by keeping him out of school before he
> showed up at Langley with a trench coat and an
> AK-47, or graduated, went to college, couldn't
> make any friends there and went on a shooting
> spree.

Hebrew Hammer is oh so wise. What a prepostorous claim that FCPS's actions might have contributed to this kid's decision to take his own life.

So what if a 16 year old is booted out of school and banished from any FCPS school-toughen up a bit.

But wait, I forgot to mention the result of the 2008 Fairfax County Youth Survey.

3.5% of students who responded attempted suicide.

14.7% seriously considered attempting suicide

30.8% felt sad or hopeless almost every day for weeks or more in a row that they stopped doing some usual activities.

I guess I could quote stat over stat about the dangers of teen suicide, but clearly FCPS would be bored by the topic.

It is morally reprehensable for FCPS to ignore the consequences of their actions.

Date: March 23, 2009 11:49AM

Thomas More Wrote:
> watchinyou Wrote:
> -----
> > Stop the whining and move on, Cant be a
> productive member of Society because they moved
> you to
> > another high school??? Please! Believe me if
> thats
> > the biggest roadblock you encounter in life ,
> you
> > are lucky,,,
>
> I am so sick of your misanthropic bovine
> excrement. Go read another blog or thread if you
> have nothing to contribute except hatred and bile.

Wow somebody learned something except how to smoke dope!

Posted by: SKool ()
Date: March 23, 2009 02:11PM

WatchinYou should eat a bottle of pain pills, drink a fifth of vodka and drive him and his entire brood off a steep cliff in his stupid Prius. You sir are the carbuncle on the asshole of society.

Date: March 23, 2009 03:57PM

Wow that struck a nerve, why do you keep changing your screen name throughout this thread??, you are not anonymous ..carbuncle,,nice touch

Posted by: Skooly D ()
Date: March 23, 2009 04:06PM

please who are you trying to scare? I wish you would come to my house You stupid internet thug.

Date: March 23, 2009 04:48PM

Aw... the old schoolyard challenge, very mature

Posted by: watchingyou ()
Date: March 23, 2009 04:56PM

Don't mind me, I'm really just a hateful know-nothing idiot.

Posted by: wondering ()
Date: March 23, 2009 05:19PM

does anyone know if any kid who was ever placed at Mountainview ever left and went back to a regular fcps?

Posted by: wondering-- ()
Date: March 23, 2009 06:15PM

i was placed at Mountainview and they SAID in one year i could request/apply if i was good and out of trouble i could possibly come back. i will never know tho cuz i moved far far away.

does not really answer but just some input

Date: March 23, 2009 06:18PM

watchingyou Wrote:
> Don't mind me, I'm really just a hateful
> know-nothing idiot.

you really should check the spelling, but then again most rocket scientists on this thread wouldnt notice the difference in the poster's name...

Date: March 23, 2009 06:30PM

I would agree that the FCPS is very afraid of being sued, since they (pretend to be) are poor. It makes sense that a student could avoid getting in to trouble by threatening a lawsuit.

Posted by: watchingyou ()
Date: March 23, 2009 08:01PM

I'm toopit,,,

Posted by: BobW ()
Date: March 23, 2009 08:40PM

eyy all i know is dana scanlon sucks d and takes it up the butt. << Fact.

Posted by: Fur ()
Date: March 23, 2009 08:59PM

BobW is correct...

Posted by: s seagal ()
Date: March 24, 2009 10:33AM

Apparently she shoves it up others butts

Posted by: sseagal ()
Date: March 24, 2009 10:35AM

Evidently, we're shoving it up her butt

Posted by: umm hello? ()
Date: March 24, 2009 10:39AM

i poop with my shirt off

Posted by: last laugh ()
Date: March 24, 2009 01:14PM

sseagal Wrote:
> Evidently, we're shoving it up her butt

ya from a school she put you at

Posted by: Laughing Last ()
Date: March 24, 2009 02:39PM

Ya, from the desk in the whoor's office....

Date: March 24, 2009 04:58PM

FCPS personnel aren't the only one intent on destroying young lives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/us/24savana.html

These authoritarian school officials need to be brought under control.

Posted by: Trace ()
Date: March 24, 2009 05:12PM

They do indeed. In our own county, Eileen Grattan and Dana Scanlon are the worst of the stupid, miserable, nazi wretches with whom we have to contend.Both are ugly, nasty, despicable human beings.

Posted by: Bong Hits for Jesus ()
Date: March 24, 2009 05:41PM

Any parent who does not think that the schools are trying to control our kids even OFF of school property should google "bong hits for Jesus" and read about the Supreme Court decision.

The pendulum has swung too far to the point of insanity. The schools have gotten carried away by what they consider "dangerous" and are spending way too much time and money on trivial offenses.

Everyone wants safe schools but this idea of kicking kids out of school for doing what 30% of kids are doing is just plain moronic.

BTW, anyone hear anything about the Lake Braddock girls soccer team? I heard there was a co-ed sleep over with booze. If these nuts at FCPS had their way, I am sure they would kick all these girls out of school.

Posted by: VA DOE ()
Date: March 24, 2009 06:26PM

From the VA Department of Education, "An introduction of Effective Schoolwide Discipline in Virginia":

Evidence exists that imposing negative consequences for unacceptable behavior can increase antisocial acts, school vandalism, terdiness and truancy, and the dropout rate.

Suspension provides little more than a respite from the student's academic or behavior problems.

Students typically do not return to school with a more positive attitude or increased enthusiasm toward learning.

With each suspension, the probability increases that the student will fall further behind academically, which only serves to trigger more misbehavior to escape further classroom frustration or failure.

I guess nobody within FCPS bothered to read this report.

BTW, I graduated from FCPS in the 1980s. One of my classmates came to school a couple of times high as a kite. He is now a principal at one of our high schools throwing kids out of school for what he did as a kid. How ironic.

Date: March 24, 2009 06:27PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> FCPS personnel aren't the only one intent on
> destroying young lives.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/us/24savana.html
>
>
> These authoritarian school officials need to be
> brought under control.

That is outrageous...
a quote from the article

“They didn’t even look at my records,” she said. “They didn’t even know I was a good kid.”

The school district does not contest that Ms. Redding had no disciplinary record, but says that is irrelevant.

“Her assertion should not be misread to infer that she never broke school rules,” the district said of Ms. Redding in a brief, “only that she was never caught.”

See the problem with the school system in total is that you are GUILTY UNTIL YOU PROVE YOU ARE INNOCENT. That is the exact opposite of the foundation this country was built on.
The school system is abusing all the power they have and taking it too far.

Date: March 24, 2009 06:32PM

VA DOE Wrote:

>
> BTW, I graduated from FCPS in the 1980s. One of
> my classmates came to school a couple of times
> high as a kite. He is now a principal at one of
> our high schools throwing kids out of school for
> what he did as a kid. How ironic.

Damn.... that is a shame. Sounds pretty hypocritical, just does not make sense

Posted by: Me and my sob story ()
Date: March 24, 2009 07:22PM

BobW Wrote:
> VA DOE Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > BTW, I graduated from FCPS in the 1980s. One
> of
> > my classmates came to school a couple of times
> > high as a kite. He is now a principal at one
> of
> > our high schools throwing kids out of school
> for
> > what he did as a kid. How ironic.
>
>
> Damn.... that is a shame. Sounds pretty
> hypocritical, just does not make sense

Then its probably bullshit, Deliver a name

Date: March 24, 2009 07:33PM

Me and my sob story Wrote:
> BobW Wrote:
> -----
> > VA DOE Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > >
> > > BTW, I graduated from FCPS in the 1980s. One
> > of
> > > my classmates came to school a couple of
> times
> > > high as a kite. He is now a principal at one
> > of
> > > our high schools throwing kids out of school
> > for
> > > what he did as a kid. How ironic.
> >
> >
> > Damn.... that is a shame. Sounds pretty
> > hypocritical, just does not make sense
>
> Then its probably bullshit, Deliver a name

...true

Posted by: FCPS is in the stone ages ()
Date: March 26, 2009 09:53AM

I thought as a society now, we treat drug users with treatment programs and compassion. I must have missed the shift in public thinking that states we throw kids out of school so that they can fall even further into a hole of destruction.

Holy cow who in FCPS is making this call because this makes me angryas hell.

Drug use is quite common in high school these days so if we have a policy that says drug users are denied an education-we are going down a dangerous path.

Someone on the School Board better step up to the plate on this one. We cannot have another tragedy like this happen to our kids again.

Posted by: Mr Blue ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:17AM

They arent denied an education, they get sent to another school you dumbass, posting without facts, it nevers ends..

Posted by: Mr. Red ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:32AM

They are denied an education, they get sent to substandard alternative school you ignorant dumbass, posting without facts, it nevers ends..

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:36AM

As sad and tragic this wasted loss of life is, I think there's a lot of barking up the wrong tree in blaming the school system. I wouldn't have favored an expulsion or a transfer in this case, but there had to have been some seriously overlooked mental issues with the deceased that an event like this would trigger a suicide. That nobody saw it coming is the tragedy- teachers,parents friends- I can't lay this at the feet of FCPS.

I went to HS in Arlington in the early 80's, my friends in Fairfax and ALexandria had similar expereinces- drug testing was non-existent. There were "smoking courts" at schools, "open campuses" where we could leave basically at will and of course just before Reagans "Just Say No" there were plenty of people who'd say pot was completely harmless and probably even good for you. We would go to class buzzed out of our minds- no one cared about reaking or using Visine. I remember one kid getting drunk at school and being sent to the nurse, but basically we all got away with murder as far as dope stuff went.

What we seem to have now is the generation that saw and maybe participated in the drug excesses of the 70's and early 80's in charge and doing things completely differenty. It's all a swing of the pendelum and though a big change from what I expereinced as a student, it's hardly draconian.

And btw even though I don't smoke anymore and I think drugs are a stupid choice, I am in favor of decriminalization and all that. THis kid was mental, the story sad and the school system is just being scapegoated.

Posted by: An excuse is already at the ready ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:41AM

And the county spends more per pupil on these miscreants than those who are not on their 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances to get it right,,,, fact... Its the same diploma , again uninformed...theres more sour grapes on this thread than a Wegmans

Posted by: A Tailor Made Excuse ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:45AM

These filthy souless nazi scum FCPS administrators are cowardly, hypocritical bullies; nothing more. There is more empty pass-the-buck excuses coming from these lazy reprobates than there are stars in the sky.

Posted by: blue is a genuis ()
Date: March 26, 2009 11:03AM

Mr Blue Wrote:
> They arent denied an education, they get sent to
> another school you dumbass, posting without facts,
> it nevers ends..

Thanks Mr. Blue, for your intelligent thought provoking comments. We all become better human beings thanks to your insightful comments.

Now, let's examine these "wonderful" alternative schools (janie Strauss likes to refer to them as wonderful).

Bryant Alternative School-300 students-109 dropped out last year (36%)
Pimmit Hills Alternative-250 students-53 dropped out last year (21%)
Mountain View Alt School-250 students-65 dropped out last year (26%)

Yes, siree, that young man would have been blessed to go to these schools. He would have thrived at these schools.

Posted by: blues clues for the clueless ()
Date: March 26, 2009 12:27PM

once a loser always a loser, easier just to give up I guess, really helping themselves out there

Posted by: bluess clues for the clueless ()
Date: March 26, 2009 12:51PM

once a nazi always a nazi, easier just to terrorize I guess, really helping the students out there

Posted by: motivated not ()
Date: March 26, 2009 01:21PM

I guess the other 75 % of the students just decided to make the best of THEIR mistakes and move on. If you or your chilren couldnt deal with it, then you are like some of the other posters here that really didnt have it in them to finish what they started to begin with.

Posted by: not motivated ()
Date: March 26, 2009 01:25PM

I guess the other 99 % of the judicialm (including those pursuant to the U.S. Constitution) just decided to trash the stoopid tyrannical idea of "zero tolerance" and move on. If you or your fellow nazis couldnt deal with it, then you are like some of the other posters here that really didnt have it in them to finish what they started to begin with.

Posted by: THEIR Mistakes ()
Date: March 26, 2009 01:27PM

I wonder if "THEIR" mistakes is a reference to the adult deviants, pedophiles and dopers within the FCPS system.

Posted by: Soos comments ()
Date: March 26, 2009 02:31PM

Zero Tolerance Kills Wrote:
> I do not hesitate for a moment to say that FCPS
> has played a direct role in the death of one of
> our students.
>
> Last week, a junior at South Lakes High School
> hanged himself. He was a fine young man who
> played football at Langley High School but he did
> something that many FCPS students do. He smoked
> pot. FCPS caught him and threatened to expel him
> from school. They kept him out of school for
> weeks while the ZT police did all they could to
> destroy this young man. Then they pulled him from
> his friends and sent him to another school. And
> told him if he ever screwed up again they would
> throw him out of school forever.
>
> FCPS never acknowledges that the majority of our
> students experiment with drugs and alcohol. There
> is no drug testing of FCPS employees so we do not
> know how many employees use drugs. When a kid
> does it, makes a mistake, FCPS makes sure that
> they destroy the student emotionally.
>
> I am sickened by this school district. Every
> parent out there needs to know that this could be
> your kid. We must make sure that this does not
> happen again.
>
> Zero Tolerance is destructive. It lacks
> compassion and humanity and it kills our youth.
>
> Let's all say a prayer for this family and hold
> FCPS accountable.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did FCPS let the above student redeem himselve?

Did FCPS allow the above student to do the work in order for him to earn back their trust?

Every two weeks the SB and Dale expell students with no chance to redeem themselves.

Sounds like we have different rules for different students.

"As quick as we are to punish kids for poor decisions that they make, we also need to provide them with opportunities to redeem themselves," Soos said. "If they choose to do the work to redeem themselves, if they choose to do the work to earn back the trust, then I'm all for it."

Posted by: nazi?political party I think ()
Date: March 26, 2009 02:54PM

not motivated Wrote:
> I guess the other 99 % of the judicialm (including
> those pursuant to the U.S. Constitution) just
> decided to trash the stoopid tyrannical idea of
> "zero tolerance" and move on. If you or your
> fellow nazis couldnt deal with it, then you are
> like some of the other posters here that really
> didnt have it in them to finish what they started
> to begin with.

Self pitying self serving whiner, not an advocate for anyone but themselves, go ahead and copy and paste since originality wasnt taught at the alternative school/....

Posted by: just the facts maam ()
Date: March 26, 2009 03:07PM

Soos comments Wrote:
> Zero Tolerance Kills Wrote:
> -----
> > I do not hesitate for a moment to say that FCPS
> > has played a direct role in the death of one of
> > our students.
> >
> > Last week, a junior at South Lakes High School
> > hanged himself. He was a fine young man who
> > played football at Langley High School but he
> did
> > something that many FCPS students do. He
> smoked
> > pot. FCPS caught him and threatened to expel
> him
> > from school. They kept him out of school for
> > weeks while the ZT police did all they could to
> > destroy this young man. Then they pulled him
> from
> > his friends and sent him to another school.
> And
> > told him if he ever screwed up again they would
> > throw him out of school forever.
> >
> > FCPS never acknowledges that the majority of
> our
> > students experiment with drugs and alcohol.
> There
> > is no drug testing of FCPS employees so we do
> not
> > know how many employees use drugs. When a kid
> > does it, makes a mistake, FCPS makes sure that
> > they destroy the student emotionally.
> >
> > I am sickened by this school district. Every
> > parent out there needs to know that this could
> be
> > your kid. We must make sure that this does not
> > happen again.
> >
> > Zero Tolerance is destructive. It lacks
> > compassion and humanity and it kills our youth.
> >
> > Let's all say a prayer for this family and hold
> > FCPS accountable.
> ----------------------------
> Did FCPS let the above student redeem himselve?
>
> Did FCPS allow the above student to do the work in
> order for him to earn back their trust?
>
> Every two weeks the SB and Dale expell students
> with no chance to redeem themselves.
>
> Sounds like we have different rules for different
> students.
>
>
>
> "As quick as we are to punish kids for poor
> decisions that they make, we also need to provide
> them with opportunities to redeem themselves,"
> Soos said. "If they choose to do the work to
> redeem themselves, if they choose to do the work
> to earn back the trust, then I'm all for it."

Again bad info, as is most of the hearsay posted on here ,,,,,, , Students can reapply the next school year after being moved, most who reapply go back and have that chance to "redeem" themselves. What they do with that chance is up to them, if they feel their lives are over its because their dyfunctional parents dont do their job by helping them move forward with the first of many adversities in their lives.

Posted by: nazi?political party i think ()
Date: March 26, 2009 03:19PM

"I guess the other 75 % of the students just decided to make the best of THEIR mistakes and move on. If you or your chilren couldnt deal with it, then you are like some of the other posters here that really didnt have it in them to finish what they started to begin with."

Self pitying self serving jack-booted whining nazi scumbag, not an advocate for anyone but themselves, go ahead and copy and paste since originality wasnt taught at the Gestapo alternative school you flunked out of....

Posted by: just the fact maa'm ()
Date: March 26, 2009 03:22PM

gain bad info, as is most of the hearsay posted on here ,,,,,, , Nazi administrators can destroy more innocdent students the next school year after destryoing many this year, most nazis adminisrtators never "redeem" themselves. Why they don't do with that chance is up to them, if they feel their lives are over its because their dyfunctional nazi compatriots dont do their job by helping them move forward with the first of many adversities in their lives.

Posted by: dover ()
Date: March 26, 2009 04:22PM

I heard somewhwere that Delaware has some nice schools but run by a facist regime...

Posted by: delaware ()
Date: March 26, 2009 06:27PM

dover Wrote:
> I heard somewhwere that Delaware has some nice
> schools but run by a facist regime...

haha they are nice... pretty easy though i have yet to catch onto any fascism, i was texting in the cafeteria and a head teacher caught on but didn't see my phone, so he said " what makes you think you can text in MY cafeteria" scared me a little bit.

Posted by: gimme a break ()
Date: March 26, 2009 06:38PM

delaware Wrote:
> dover Wrote:
> -----
> > I heard somewhwere that Delaware has some nice
> > schools but run by a facist regime...
>
>
> haha they are nice... pretty easy though i have
> yet to catch onto any fascism, i was texting in
> the cafeteria and a head teacher caught on but
> didn't see my phone, so he said " what makes you
> think you can text in MY cafeteria" scared me a
> little bit.

Well dont be frightened little boy, if you are just have mommy complain loudly

Date: March 26, 2009 06:58PM

gimme a break Wrote:
> delaware Wrote:
> -----
> > dover Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I heard somewhwere that Delaware has some
> nice
> > > schools but run by a facist regime...
> >
> >
> > haha they are nice... pretty easy though i have
> > yet to catch onto any fascism, i was texting in
> > the cafeteria and a head teacher caught on but
> > didn't see my phone, so he said " what makes
> you
> > think you can text in MY cafeteria" scared me a
> > little bit.
>
> Well dont be frightened little boy, if you are
> just have mommy complain loudly

hahah,,, Young man or teenager would suit me better than little boy. I'm not scared of anything and i don't live with my momma

Posted by: gimme A break ()
Date: March 26, 2009 07:25PM

haha they are nice... pretty easy though i have
> yet to catch onto any fascism, i was texting in
> the cafeteria and a head teacher caught on but
> didn't see my phone, so he said " what makes you
> think you can text in MY cafeteria" scared me a
> little bit.

Don't be scared at all, just kick his useless gutless ass. School administrators are all cowards anyway.

Date: March 26, 2009 08:05PM

nah nah nah! u guys are getting it wrong. the dude was cool. he said since i was new he would let me off this time. initially he was scary. Delaware school officials are not useless and gutless and cowardly like FCPS offices -- fact

Posted by: answer the phone ()
Date: March 26, 2009 08:48PM

delaware Wrote:
> gimme a break Wrote:
> -----
> > delaware Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > dover Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > I heard somewhwere that Delaware has some
> > nice
> > > > schools but run by a facist regime...
> > >
> > >
> > > haha they are nice... pretty easy though i
> have
> > > yet to catch onto any fascism, i was texting
> in
> > > the cafeteria and a head teacher caught on
> but
> > > didn't see my phone, so he said " what makes
> > you
> > > think you can text in MY cafeteria" scared me
> a
> > > little bit.
> >
> > Well dont be frightened little boy, if you are
> > just have mommy complain loudly
>
>
>
> hahah,,, Young man or teenager would suit me
> better than little boy. I'm not scared of anything
> and i don't live with my momma

Oh I must be mistaken, I swore I saw in a previous post the big bad policeman wouldnt let you call your mommy, must have been some other student hmm

Date: March 26, 2009 09:36PM

that was me... and the po-po and the principal wouldn't let me call my mom.. i had to move away to go to another school instead of mountain view..

Date: March 27, 2009 12:31AM

WingNut Wrote:
> THis kid was mental,

You're worse than Bill Frist, who thought he could diagnose a brain dead women by videotape.

You never met this kid but know he was mental.

You're not just wrong, you're an idiot.

This kid was happy, popular and highly regarded by college coaches.

His fall into hopelessness was sudden, unexpected and entirely avoidable had the vice principal been more interested in helping him make good choices instead of destroying kids.

I've dealt with this assistant principal for 6 years. He has no business around high school kids. The sooner he leaves education the better off our nations youth will be.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: March 27, 2009 01:41AM

let me sum this thread up...

file.php?2,file=4701

great, now move on.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: mommeee ()
Date: March 27, 2009 05:37AM

Should our students "get in trouble" at school, the school administrators do not allow them to call their parents. If you are an adult and arrested, you can make at a phone call. Not so in FCPS. Instead the vice principals and school cops bully, threaten, or promise that call to the parents in order to get the answers you want.

While waiting to speak to another vice-principal at one of our best high school, I saw a staff member leave one of the offices. He announced to the entire lobby (2 secretaries and at least one student present) that the "tough guy" was crying for him mommy and that soon he would "give it all up". Then he could call his mommy.

Needless to say, should my kids get in any type of trouble they have been counseled not to say anything to anyone until they have had the opportunity to speak to a parent. They should just put their head on a desk or table and nap until someone gets there.s

Posted by: Graviis ()
Date: March 27, 2009 08:54AM

let me sum Gravis and his post up: "baawww boo-hoo boo-hoo, waa waa waaa they're pickin on my nazi friends..stop it, pwiddy pwiddy,pwiddy pwease stop..."

Great, now keep this thread rockin'

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: March 27, 2009 08:57AM

Graviis Wrote:
> let me sum Gravis and his post up: "baawww boo-hoo
> boo-hoo, waa waa waaa they're pickin on my nazi
> friends..stop it, pwiddy pwiddy,pwiddy pwease
> stop..."

please tell me which one of these tards is my nazi friends.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Tard ()
Date: March 27, 2009 09:02AM

Remeber, you're anti-infant, not pro-choice

Posted by: Good riddance Gravis ()
Date: March 27, 2009 09:15AM

Gravis Wrote:
> let me sum this thread up...
>
>
>
> great, now move on.

Gravis-

When you leave this earth, I will be the first to dance on your grave.

We will be richer without mean-spirited jerks like you in the world.

Posted by: makes no sense ()
Date: March 27, 2009 09:18AM

hey Mr. Blue...first they are suspended and sit home for weeks doing nothing, many unattended, that makes no sense....then if they are expelled they do get kicked out of FCPS and ARE denied an education..so where do they end up then...FCPS are hurtung these kids more than helping them.

Posted by: ZT has gone off the deep end ()
Date: March 27, 2009 10:12AM

MSNBC.com

Girl posts nude pics, is charged with kid porn
New Jersey teen may have to register as a sex offender
The Associated Press
updated 9:01 a.m. ET, Fri., March. 27, 2009
TRENTON, N.J. - A 14-year-old New Jersey girl has been accused of child pornography after posting nearly 30 explicit nude pictures of herself on MySpace.com — charges that could force her to register as a sex offender if convicted.

The case comes as prosecutors nationwide pursue child pornography cases resulting from kids sending nude photos to one another over cell phones and e-mail. Legal experts, though, could not recall another case of a child porn charge resulting from a teen's posting to a social networking site.

MySpace would not comment on the New Jersey investigation, but the News Corp.-owned company has a team that reviews its network for inappropriate images. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children tipped off a state task force, which alerted the Passaic County Sheriff's Office.

'Very explicit'
The office investigated and discovered the Clifton resident had posted the "very explicit" photos of herself, sheriff's spokesman Bill Maer said Thursday.

"We consider this case a wake-up call to parents," Maer said. The girl posted the photos because "she wanted her boyfriend to see them," he said.

Why are we holding 14 year olds to adult standards as far as exercising good judgement?

I don't understand this thinking....having a 14 year old regsiter as a sexual offender.

At some point, we need to stop the madness.

Posted by: on and on.... ()
Date: March 27, 2009 10:16AM

KMBC.com
Related To Story

Video: Pink Hair Gets Seventh-Grader Suspended

Pink Hair Gets Seventh-Grader Suspended
Girl Says She Died Hair To Honor Father Who Died Of Cancer

POSTED: 11:51 am CDT August 21, 2008
UPDATED: 9:08 pm CDT August 21, 2008

MOUNTAIN GROVE, Mo. -- A southern Missouri school district has suspended a pink-haired seventh-grader.

Mountain Grove Middle School student Amelia Robbins said she dyed her hair pink to honor her father, who died of cancer when she was 6 years old. She said that to her, pink is the cancer color.

The 12-year-old said that when she finished 6th grade with pink streaks in her hair, school administrators warned her not to continue wearing the color. But with her mother's permission, Amelia dyed all of her hair pink, and her school year ground to a halt just days after it started.

She doesn't think her hair color is a distraction.

The school handbook said administrators have the authority to decide whether a student is causing a distraction. Officials declined to discuss specifics of Amelia's case.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or

This is one of my all-time favorites....

Posted by: FCPS Hall of Shame ()
Date: March 27, 2009 10:21AM

MSNBC.com

School enforces strict no-touching rule
Strict no-contact rule, meant to stem violence, has some pushing for change
The Associated Press
updated 6:40 p.m. ET, Mon., June. 18, 2007
VIENNA, Va. - A rule against physical contact at a Fairfax County middle school is so strict that students can be sent to the principal's office for hugging, holding hands or even high-fiving.

Unlike some schools in the Washington area, which ban fighting or inappropriate touching, Kilmer Middle School in Vienna bans all touching — and that has some parents lobbying for a change.

Hugging was Hal Beaulieu's crime when he sat next to his girlfriend at lunch a few months ago and put his arm around her shoulder. He was given a warning, but told that repeat missteps could lead to detention.

"I think hugging is a good thing," said Hal, a seventh-grader. "I put my arm around her. It was like for 15 seconds. I didn't think it would be a big deal."

But at a school of 1,100 students that was meant to accommodate 850, school officials think some touching can turn into a big deal. They've seen pokes lead to fights, gang signs in the form of handshakes or girls who are uncomfortable being hugged but embarrassed to say anything.

"You get into shades of gray," Kilmer Principal Deborah Hernandez said. "The kids say, 'If he can high-five, then I can do this.' "

Hernandez said the no-touching rule is meant to ensure that all students are comfortable and crowded hallways and lunchrooms stay safe. She said school officials are allowed to use their judgment in enforcing the rule. Typically, only repeat offenders are reprimanded.

'Making out goes too far'
But such a strict policy doesn't seem necessary to 13-year-old Hal and his parents, who have written a letter to the county school board asking for a review of the rule. Hugging is encouraged in their home, and their son has been taught to greet someone with a handshake.

Hal said he feels he knows what's appropriate and what's not.

"I think you should be able to shake hands, high-five and maybe a quick hug," he said. "Making out goes too far."

His parents said they agree that teenagers need to have clear limits but don't want their son to be taught that physical contact is bad.

"How do kids learn what's right and what's wrong?" Henri Beaulieu asked. "They are all smart kids, and they can draw lines. If they cross them, they can get in trouble. But I don't think it would happen too often."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19293872/?GT1=10056

MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2009 MSNBC.com

Let's promote this principal to a policy maker.... we need more deep thinkers like this.

Posted by: our kids are safe from harm ()
Date: March 27, 2009 10:32AM

At McLean School, Playing Tag Turns Into Hot Potato

By Michael Alison Chandler
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 15, 2008; A01

A playground pastime is getting a timeout this spring at a McLean elementary school.

Robyn Hooker, principal of Kent Gardens Elementary School, has told students they may no longer play tag during recess after determining that the game of chasing, dodging and yelling "You're it!" had gotten out of hand. Hooker explained to parents in a letter this month that tag had become a game "of intense aggression."

The principal said that her goal is to keep students safe and that she hopes to restore tag (as well as touch football, also now on hold) after teachers and administrators review recess policies.

The decision has touched off a debate among parents. Some call the restriction an example of overzealous rulemaking that fails to address root problems and undermines children's development; others say it's best to err on the side of caution.

"We are regulating the fun out of normal childhood activity," said Jan van Tol, father of a Kent Gardens sixth-grader. "In our effort to be so overprotective, we are not letting children be children."

Gerri Swarm, secretary of the school's Parent-Teacher Association, said she was glad the principal was taking seriously student concerns about being pushed or shoved. "In this day and age, you can't dismiss this as something not to worry about," she said.

Many schools nationwide have whittled down playground activities in response to concerns about injuries, bullying or litigation. Dodge ball is a thing of the past in many places, and contact sports are often limited at recess.

The Fairfax County schools' office of risk management maintains a list of activities that are prohibited at any school-sponsored events. In addition to bungee-jumping and scuba diving, students are not permitted to break dance or play dodge ball or tug-of-war.

Restrictions on tag are less common. Officials at several suburban Washington school systems said they were not aware of any schools that had banned the game outright.

In most places, principals have considerable leeway to decide what is appropriate or safe recess behavior as they sometimes manage large numbers of students in small spaces. Kent Gardens, with more than 900 students, is over capacity. Hooker said the playground can get crowded when there are four or five classes there at one time.

Over the past couple of months, she had noticed that tag was taking up too much space and sending too many students to the nurse's office.

"This is not the old-fashioned tag, where you could use two fingers and you would be it and move on to someone else," Hooker said. The game, she said, has become much more aggressive. "I call it the nouveau tag."

This tag involves grabbing people who do not necessarily know they are playing and possibly bumping them to the ground. "Then the kids do 'pyramiding' or 'towering.' They pile on each other. [Sometimes] they call it 'jailhouse' or 'jailbreak,' " because the child has to break out, she said.

Since the prohibition began early this month, physical education teachers have begun a "chasing, fleeing and dodging" unit in first through fifth grades. Students essentially play variations of tag, and the teachers remind them about safety rules and point out the athletic skills they can transfer to other sports, said Sue Straits, a PE teacher.

Stephanie Sullenger, president of the Kent Gardens PTA, said she supports the principal. Sullenger said she suspects that children are acting out because of "spring fever," and that as their behavior improves, tag will be restored.

In the meantime, she said, "children are very resilient and creative, and I'm sure have moved on to find wonderful things to do on the playground."

Other parents said that slips and falls are part of growing up and that restricting games is not the right solution.

Chris Delta, a Kent Gardens mother, said she knows "life's not going to breeze" for her children. She wants them to learn how to cope with difficulty.

Her own daughter has been injured on the playground, she said. Once she was pushed off a jungle gym and had the wind knocked out of her, and another time she got a goose egg when a student threw a rock in the air and it landed on her head.

"I didn't expect because of these two instances that the equipment would be banned or all the rocks or pebbles or stones would be taken away," Delta said.

Michael Haaren, a father, said that if some children are being too aggressive, they should be disciplined. Limiting the activity is a "draconian" measure, he said.

He is concerned that schools are on a bad trajectory. "Where are we headed here? The elimination of recess altogether? It has happened in other schools. Will we eliminate 'duck duck goose' because kids are being touched?" he asked.

Dozens of parents turned out for a PTA meeting to hear the principal explain the decision. Many opposed the plan.

Hooker said the resistance surprised her. "I did not know that tag was so sacred," she said.

But many talk about the game in a tone tinged with nostalgia.

no comment needed-you guys are getting the idea.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: March 27, 2009 10:34AM

Yeah! Kids should be able to use drugs freely, without fear of repercussion! How dare the insensitive school board punish children for breaking the rules, especially when the kid knew it was illegal when he did it!

Don't get caught, or take your punishment like a man.

LIMITED SYMPATHY.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Date: March 27, 2009 10:53AM

Thomas More Wrote:
> WingNut Wrote:
> -----
> > THis kid was mental,
>
> You're worse than Bill Frist, who thought he could
> diagnose a brain dead women by videotape.
>
> You never met this kid but know he was mental.
>
> You're not just wrong, you're an idiot.
>
> This kid was happy, popular and highly regarded by
> college coaches.
>
> His fall into hopelessness was sudden, unexpected
> and entirely avoidable had the vice principal been
> more interested in helping him make good choices
> instead of destroying kids.
>

I feel ANYONE who committs suicide ( barring some untreatable disease etc) is mental. I think it's a horrible tragedy and I feel baed for the kid,parents and friends , but this kid was not forced into a some corner by the "nazi's at FCPS". A fucking transfer to another school is a big deal enough to check out permanently about? Please tell me you think this was a rational reaction, because obviously that's what you are saying. It's hard to say this while still trying to respect the dead, but this kid must have been awfully fragile to react as such. What do you imagine would have happened had he faced a real tragedy or hardship?
If you're spouting this weak-ass "blame the school" shit, I feel bad this young man didn't have some stronger peers around he could have picked up some good coping skills from.

> I've dealt with this assistant principal for 6
> years. He has no business around high school
> kids. The sooner he leaves education the better
> off our nations youth will be.

I'm sorry you've been in HS for 6 years and haven't learned anything

Posted by: another senseless act ()
Date: March 27, 2009 11:01AM

Zero tolerance gone awry in the Katy Independent School District
Less than zero
As told to Richard Connelly
published: July 05, 2007
By now you may have heard about 12-year-old Shelby Sendelbach, who attends Mayde Creek Junior High in the Katy school district. After all, a Japanese television network is filming her as a case study in how not to discipline students.
This weekÂ’s episode of the Zero Tolerance Unit, ZTU: Katy.
Subject(s):
zero-tolerance enforcement, "better" cable serviceSendelbach took a Sharpie and wrote "I Love Alex" in three-quarter-inch letters on a school bleacher. For this she now faces three months in an alternative school. Anyone who knows what alternative schools are like in Texas knows that getting three months in one for three words of graffiti is like getting ten years for running a red light.
Shelby's been diagnosed with ADD. "This could really damage her," says her father Stu. "We're afraid she'll get so far behind and won't be able to catch up."

Her story's not unique — that's the state of things in Texas schools these days. So we are introducing what is bound to be — with the never-ending cooperation of ham-fisted school officials — a regular feature.

Last year, I remember SB member Liz Bradsher joking about how old the dess were at West Springfield HS. She joked that one of the desks still had the grafitti that her sister had marked on it years ago.....hahahah...

Did Bradsher's sister get 3 months at Mountain View for her actions. I get a lot of FCPS students get the book thrown at them for "vandalism".

Posted by: lots of fragile students out there ()
Date: March 27, 2009 11:06AM

>
> So what if a 16 year old is booted out of school
> and banished from any FCPS school-toughen up a
> bit.
>
> But wait, I forgot to mention the result of the
> 2008 Fairfax County Youth Survey.
>
> 3.5% of students who responded attempted suicide.
>
> 14.7% seriously considered attempting suicide
>
> 30.8% felt sad or hopeless almost every day for
> weeks or more in a row that they stopped doing
> some usual activities.
>
> I guess I could quote stat over stat about the
> dangers of teen suicide, but clearly FCPS would be
> bored by the topic.
>
> It is morally reprehensable for FCPS to ignore the
> consequences of their actions.

READ THE DATE ON SUICIDES< idiots.

Kids are fragile and ripping them from their confort zone to satisft the masochistic needs of a shrew like Dana Scanling is criminal.

Posted by: the juvenile justice system is effective ()
Date: March 27, 2009 11:12AM

Judges Accused of Jailing Kids for Cash
With Corrupt Judges, Kids' Lives Hang in the Balance
By FRANK MASTROPOLO
March 27, 2009—

Luzerne County sits in the heart of Pennsylvania's struggling coal country; Wilkes-Barre is the county seat, a hardscrabble, blue-collar city that knew hard times even before this latest recession.

Watch the story on "20/20" tonight at 10 p.m. ET

People there were shocked in January when federal prosecutors announced that respected county judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan had pleaded guilty to tax evasion and honest services fraud, the result of a lengthy investigation by the Internal Revenue Service and the FBI. Yesterday the Pa. State Supreme Court overturned hundreds of convictions of low-level offenders, ruling that all juveniles who had appeared in Ciavarella's courtroom without lawyers between 2003 and 2008 had not been adequately informed when they waived their right to counsel.

It's not over, however, for all of the other kids Ciavarella sent to jail. Chief Justice Ronald Castille said in a statement that Thursday's decision wasn't intended to be "a quick fix."

"It's going to take some time, but the Supreme Court is committed to righting whatever wrong was perpetrated on Luzerne's juveniles and their families," he said.

"They sold their oath of offices to the highest bidders and engaged in ongoing schemes to defraud the public of honest services that were expected from them," Deron Roberts, chief of the FBI's Scranton office, said at a late January news conference announcing the charges.

The arrests shed light on a mystery in Luzerne County: Why were so many kids getting sent directly to juvenile detention after seeing Judge Ciavarella in his Wilkes-Barre juvenile court? And why were those kids sent away in such a rush?

'I Had No Clue What to Say'
Eric Stefanski had never been in trouble before he found himself in front of Ciavarella, who took office in 1996.

"I was 12 years old when I got locked up. I had no clue what to say when he asked me how do I plead," Eric told "20/20" correspondent Jim Avila.

"I was 12 years old. I didn't know too much about the court system."

His offense? He went joyriding with his mom's car and ran over a barrier, smashing the undercarriage. No one was hurt, not even Eric, but in order get her insurance to pay for the damage, his mom, Linda Donovan, had to file a police report. Donovan even thought an appearance before a judge would be good for her son, give him a little scare. She wasn't prepared for what happened when Eric came before Ciavarella.

"He read me my charges and said, 'How do you plead?' And I didn't know what to say, so I looked at my mom, and I guess she didn't know I was looking, and I said, 'Guilty,'" Eric said.

"That's when I turned around, I looked at my mom and she started crying."

'The Most Egregious Abuse of Power'
Eric was locked up for two years. He was not represented by an attorney, his mom said, because she didn't think he needed one.

"His first offense, he's so young, I just didn't think that it was necessary," Donovan said.

It's not supposed to be like this in juvenile court, where incarceration is considered the last resort, legal experts said. But Marsha Levick, deputy director of the Juvenile Law Center, a public-interest law firm in Philadelphia, said she noticed a frightening pattern in Ciaravella's courtroom.

"I think what we have here in Luzerne County is probably the most egregious abuse of power in the history of the American legal system," Levick said.

And she had the evidence to back it up.

"The numbers of children going into placement in Luzerne County tended to be two to three times higher than in other counties," she said.

Levick said kids were being locked up for minor infractions. "A child who shoplifted a $4 bottle of nutmeg," she said. "A child who was charged with conspiracy to shoplift because he was present when his friend was shoplifting. A child who put up a MySpace page, taunting her school administrator."

Levick turned her findings over to the FBI, and the outcome rocked the Pennsylvania justice system.

Ciavarella and Conahan, who face up to 7 years in prison, had devised a plot to use their positions as judges to pad their pockets. They shut down the old county-run juvenile detention center by first refusing to send kids there and, then, by cutting off funds, choking it out of existence. They then replaced the facility with a cash cow -- a privately owned lockup built by the judges' cronies -- and forged a deal for the county to pay $58 million for a 10-year period for its use. At the time Conahan was serving as president judge of the Luzerne County Common Pleas Court, a position that allowed him to control the county-court budget. Ciavarella was the Luzerne County juvenile court judge.

The judges entered plea agreements in federal court in Scranton in February admitting that they took more than $2.6 million in payoffs from the private youth detention center between 2003 and 2006.

Prosecutors said the judges attempted to hide their income from the scheme by creating false records and routing payments through intermediaries. The Pennsylvania Supreme Court removed them from their duties after federal prosecutors filed charges Jan. 26. The investigation is ongoing.

"The defendants engaged in fraud by taking millions of dollars in connection with the construction, operation and expansion of juvenile detention facilities here in Luzerne County," U.S. Attorney Martin Carlson said.

And, according to state statistics, Ciavarella's incarceration rates of juveniles jumped after the privately owned juvenile detention center opened.

"The information alleges that the judges ordered juveniles into these detention facilities, the facilities in which they had a financial interest, and on occasion that those orders were done despite the recommendation of juvenile probation officers that the child not be detained, not be imprisoned," Carlson said.

Ciavarella denies having sentenced kids for cash.

"We came to a plea agreement because we would never agree that [the kids' sentencing] was improper. And that's why in the plea agreement you don't see any of the language," Ciavarella said. "I'm not pleading guilty to anything relative to cash for kids, embezzlement, extortion, quid pro quo. Absolutely not."

Losing Faith in the Justice System
Dave Janoski, projects editor of the Citizens Voice newspaper of Wilkes-Barre, said, "You could see that at the very moment, when they could make the most money, that's when the number of kids spiked."

Wilkes-Barre residents exploded with anger when they heard that men they elected, and trusted to judge their children, had profited from their incarceration.

"There's been a lot of outrage," said Terrie Morgan-Besecker, staff writer for the Times Leader newspaper in Wilkes-Barre.

"I think a lot of them have lost faith in the system of justice ... that they went in there blindly thinking that they were going to talk to the judge, he was going to listen to them and hand down an appropriate punishment ... and they're just yanked away from their parents and put in shackles," she said. "It just left them absolutely stunned and not believing that this could happen."

Many people wanted to know who was looking out for the kids as they worked their way through the judicial system.

"I think that we had a conspiracy of silence going on in Luzerne County," Levick of the Juvenile Law Center said. "There were officers of the court, there were members of the district attorney's office, members of probation, private lawyers, public defenders, who were in the courtroom every day. And they had to know what was happening and whether it was by virtue of intimidation or an unwillingness to get involved. The fact remains that nobody stood up."

When Ciavarella was asked about families' complaints of his rapid-fire brand of justice and trials that lasted only minutes with even first-time offenders sent to detention centers, he told "20/20." "You take a look at their file and you look to see if this was the first time they had a run-in with the law. It might have been the first time they're in front of me. You may be surprised that it's not going to be as clear-cut as they would like you to think."

'The Judge is Incorrect'
But Arthur Grim, a Pennsylvania juvenile judge himself, who was assigned to review Ciavarella's cases, said Ciavarella is wrong.

"Kids were in there for relatively minor first-time offenses and ended up being placed," Grim said. "The judge is incorrect.

"I'm seeing cases which seem to take in the neighborhood of a minute and a half to three minutes. ... That simply is not the way to do business."

Chief Justice Ronald Castille of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court asked Grim to examine the juvenile cases, which could mean expunging the records of as many as 2,500 children sent into detention by Ciavarella.

"We have told Judge Grim, take it wherever it goes," Castille said. "And I think my court would be willing to expunge the record of every one of those juveniles if we can't eliminate the specter of taint from what Judge Ciavarella did in treating them."

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

And we are here talking about all the "bad kids" out there.

maybe it is the adults in the system that we should be worried about.

Posted by: who can u trust these days ()
Date: March 27, 2009 11:22AM

the juvenile justice system is effective Wrote:
> Judges Accused of Jailing Kids for Cash
> With Corrupt Judges, Kids' Lives Hang in the
> Balance
> By FRANK MASTROPOLO
> March 27, 2009—
>
>
> Luzerne County sits in the heart of Pennsylvania's
> struggling coal country; Wilkes-Barre is the
> county seat, a hardscrabble, blue-collar city that
> knew hard times even before this latest recession.
>
>
> Watch the story on "20/20" tonight at 10 p.m. ET
>
> People there were shocked in January when federal
> prosecutors announced that respected county judges
> Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan had pleaded
> guilty to tax evasion and honest services fraud,
> the result of a lengthy investigation by the
> Internal Revenue Service and the FBI. Yesterday
> the Pa. State Supreme Court overturned hundreds of
> convictions of low-level offenders, ruling that
> all juveniles who had appeared in Ciavarella's
> courtroom without lawyers between 2003 and 2008
> had not been adequately informed when they waived
> their right to counsel.
>
> It's not over, however, for all of the other kids
> Ciavarella sent to jail. Chief Justice Ronald
> Castille said in a statement that Thursday's
> decision wasn't intended to be "a quick fix."
>
> "It's going to take some time, but the Supreme
> Court is committed to righting whatever wrong was
> perpetrated on Luzerne's juveniles and their
> families," he said.
>
> "They sold their oath of offices to the highest
> bidders and engaged in ongoing schemes to defraud
> the public of honest services that were expected
> from them," Deron Roberts, chief of the FBI's
> Scranton office, said at a late January news
> conference announcing the charges.
>
> The arrests shed light on a mystery in Luzerne
> County: Why were so many kids getting sent
> directly to juvenile detention after seeing Judge
> Ciavarella in his Wilkes-Barre juvenile court? And
> why were those kids sent away in such a rush?
>
>
> 'I Had No Clue What to Say'
> Eric Stefanski had never been in trouble before he
> found himself in front of Ciavarella, who took
> office in 1996.
>
> "I was 12 years old when I got locked up. I had no
> clue what to say when he asked me how do I plead,"
> Eric told "20/20" correspondent Jim Avila.
>
> "I was 12 years old. I didn't know too much about
> the court system."
>
> His offense? He went joyriding with his mom's car
> and ran over a barrier, smashing the
> undercarriage. No one was hurt, not even Eric, but
> in order get her insurance to pay for the damage,
> his mom, Linda Donovan, had to file a police
> report. Donovan even thought an appearance before
> a judge would be good for her son, give him a
> little scare. She wasn't prepared for what
> happened when Eric came before Ciavarella.
>
> "He read me my charges and said, 'How do you
> plead?' And I didn't know what to say, so I looked
> at my mom, and I guess she didn't know I was
> looking, and I said, 'Guilty,'" Eric said.
>
> "That's when I turned around, I looked at my mom
> and she started crying."
>
>
> 'The Most Egregious Abuse of Power'
> Eric was locked up for two years. He was not
> represented by an attorney, his mom said, because
> she didn't think he needed one.
>
> "His first offense, he's so young, I just didn't
> think that it was necessary," Donovan said.
>
> It's not supposed to be like this in juvenile
> court, where incarceration is considered the last
> resort, legal experts said. But Marsha Levick,
> deputy director of the Juvenile Law Center, a
> public-interest law firm in Philadelphia, said she
> noticed a frightening pattern in Ciaravella's
> courtroom.
>
> "I think what we have here in Luzerne County is
> probably the most egregious abuse of power in the
> history of the American legal system," Levick
> said.
>
> And she had the evidence to back it up.
>
> "The numbers of children going into placement in
> Luzerne County tended to be two to three times
> higher than in other counties," she said.
>
> Levick said kids were being locked up for minor
> infractions. "A child who shoplifted a $4 bottle
> of nutmeg," she said. "A child who was charged
> with conspiracy to shoplift because he was present
> when his friend was shoplifting. A child who put
> up a MySpace page, taunting her school
> administrator."
>
> Levick turned her findings over to the FBI, and
> the outcome rocked the Pennsylvania justice
> system.
>
> Ciavarella and Conahan, who face up to 7 years in
> prison, had devised a plot to use their positions
> as judges to pad their pockets. They shut down the
> old county-run juvenile detention center by first
> refusing to send kids there and, then, by cutting
> off funds, choking it out of existence. They then
> replaced the facility with a cash cow -- a
> privately owned lockup built by the judges'
> cronies -- and forged a deal for the county to pay
> $58 million for a 10-year period for its use. At
> the time Conahan was serving as president judge of
> the Luzerne County Common Pleas Court, a position
> that allowed him to control the county-court
> budget. Ciavarella was the Luzerne County juvenile
> court judge.
>
> The judges entered plea agreements in federal
> court in Scranton in February admitting that they
> took more than $2.6 million in payoffs from the
> private youth detention center between 2003 and
> 2006.
>
> Prosecutors said the judges attempted to hide
> their income from the scheme by creating false
> records and routing payments through
> intermediaries. The Pennsylvania Supreme Court
> removed them from their duties after federal
> prosecutors filed charges Jan. 26. The
> investigation is ongoing.
>
> "The defendants engaged in fraud by taking
> millions of dollars in connection with the
> construction, operation and expansion of juvenile
> detention facilities here in Luzerne County," U.S.
> Attorney Martin Carlson said.
>
> And, according to state statistics, Ciavarella's
> incarceration rates of juveniles jumped after the
> privately owned juvenile detention center opened.
>
>
> "The information alleges that the judges ordered
> juveniles into these detention facilities, the
> facilities in which they had a financial interest,
> and on occasion that those orders were done
> despite the recommendation of juvenile probation
> officers that the child not be detained, not be
> imprisoned," Carlson said.
>
> Ciavarella denies having sentenced kids for cash.
>
>
> "We came to a plea agreement because we would
> never agree that was improper. And that's why in
> the plea agreement you don't see any of the
> language," Ciavarella said. "I'm not pleading
> guilty to anything relative to cash for kids,
> embezzlement, extortion, quid pro quo. Absolutely
> not."
>
>
> Losing Faith in the Justice System
> Dave Janoski, projects editor of the Citizens
> Voice newspaper of Wilkes-Barre, said, "You could
> see that at the very moment, when they could make
> the most money, that's when the number of kids
> spiked."
>
> Wilkes-Barre residents exploded with anger when
> they heard that men they elected, and trusted to
> judge their children, had profited from their
> incarceration.
>
> "There's been a lot of outrage," said Terrie
> Morgan-Besecker, staff writer for the Times Leader
> newspaper in Wilkes-Barre.
>
> "I think a lot of them have lost faith in the
> system of justice ... that they went in there
> blindly thinking that they were going to talk to
> the judge, he was going to listen to them and hand
> down an appropriate punishment ... and they're
> just yanked away from their parents and put in
> shackles," she said. "It just left them absolutely
> stunned and not believing that this could happen."
>
>
> Many people wanted to know who was looking out for
> the kids as they worked their way through the
> judicial system.
>
> "I think that we had a conspiracy of silence going
> on in Luzerne County," Levick of the Juvenile Law
> Center said. "There were officers of the court,
> there were members of the district attorney's
> office, members of probation, private lawyers,
> public defenders, who were in the courtroom every
> day. And they had to know what was happening and
> whether it was by virtue of intimidation or an
> unwillingness to get involved. The fact remains
> that nobody stood up."
>
> When Ciavarella was asked about families'
> complaints of his rapid-fire brand of justice and
> trials that lasted only minutes with even
> first-time offenders sent to detention centers, he
> told "20/20." "You take a look at their file and
> you look to see if this was the first time they
> had a run-in with the law. It might have been the
> first time they're in front of me. You may be
> surprised that it's not going to be as clear-cut
> as they would like you to think."
>
> 'The Judge is Incorrect'
> But Arthur Grim, a Pennsylvania juvenile judge
> himself, who was assigned to review Ciavarella's
> cases, said Ciavarella is wrong.
>
> "Kids were in there for relatively minor
> first-time offenses and ended up being placed,"
> Grim said. "The judge is incorrect.
>
> "I'm seeing cases which seem to take in the
> neighborhood of a minute and a half to three
> minutes. ... That simply is not the way to do
> business."
>
> Chief Justice Ronald Castille of the Pennsylvania
> Supreme Court asked Grim to examine the juvenile
> cases, which could mean expunging the records of
> as many as 2,500 children sent into detention by
> Ciavarella.
>
> "We have told Judge Grim, take it wherever it
> goes," Castille said. "And I think my court would
> be willing to expunge the record of every one of
> those juveniles if we can't eliminate the specter
> of taint from what Judge Ciavarella did in
> treating them."
>
>
> Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures
>
>
> And we are here talking about all the "bad kids"
> out there.
>
> maybe it is the adults in the system that we

> should be worried about.

absolutely!!!, all 12,000 school employees are vile devils who should be drawn and quartered. and then we move onto the lawyers, congressmen and govt contractors.

Posted by: MrsMephisot ()
Date: March 27, 2009 11:43AM

Yeah! The school administrators should be able to punish toddlers for taking cough drops! How dare the insensitive little ones sooth their scrathcy throats, especially when the kid knew it was perfectly legal when he did it!

Don't get taking lemon drops caught,and if you do roll over and play dead for the nazi administrators so they can abuse the next tooddler.

Posted by: Nutwing ()
Date: March 27, 2009 11:47AM

If you're spouting this weak-ass "blame the kid" shit, I feel bad this young man did have some nazi FCPS administrators around him

Posted by: make it end ()
Date: March 27, 2009 12:14PM

High School Student Suspended For Talking To His Mother in Iraq
A high school student in Georgia was suspended for refusing to end a cell phone call with a soldier in Iraq—a soldier who just happens to be his mother. At Spencer High School in Columbus, Georgia, the students are allowed to have cell phones in school, but they are forbidden from using them during school hours. According to the assistant principal at Spencer, Alfred Parham, "They're not supposed to use them for conversing back and forth during school because if they were allowed to do that, they could be text messaging each other for test questions."

Kevin Francois, a 17-year old junior, was at school with his cell phone when he received a phone call from his mother, who is a soldier in Iraq. He was excited to hear from her, so he went outside the school building to get better reception so he could enjoy the conversation. "This is our first time separated like this," said Francois, whose father was killed when he was 5 years old. Since his mother’s deployment overseas, Francois has been living with a guardian in Columbus. His mother, Sgt. 1st Class Monique Bates, left in January for a one-year tour. She serves with the 203rd Forward Support Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, doing her duty to support our country in the war on terrorism.

The call came at 12:30 p.m. which Francois said is his usual lunch break, so he went outside to take the call. A teacher happened to see him talking on his cell phone and told him to hang up. He refused, telling the teacher, "This is my mom in Iraq. I’m not about to hang up on my mom." At that point the teacher tried to grab the phone, with Francois desperately trying to hang onto it. and the teacher accidentally hitt a button that caused it to hang up abruptly. The teacher then marched Francois to the school’s office to surrender his phone. His mother called again at 12:37, but by then the phone was turned off and she had to leave a message scolding her son for hanging up on her, and telling him that he is supposed to answer the phone when she calls.

According to the assistant principal, "Kevin got defiant and disorderly" when he was asked to end the call. Parham said the suspension was based on Francois’ reaction to the teacher when he was asked to give up his phone. "When a kid becomes out of control like that they can either be arrested or suspended for 10 days. Now being that his mother is in Iraq, we're not trying to cause her any undue hardship; he was suspended for 10 days." Apparently they didn't mind causing Kevin any hardship, though. He was suspended for the rest of the school year, resulting in him having to make up the entire semester just for talking to his mother, a soldier serving in harm’s way to protect his right to talk to her on a cell phone in the first place. But after the story made national headlines and drew sharp criticism from the public, the school district reduced the suspension to three days instead of ten, which will allow Francois to return to school on Monday, and he will not have to make up the entire semester.

Apparently the fact that Francois was on his lunch break (not in class) and he was talking to his mother in Iraq (not chatting with a friend) wasn’t important enough for the school system to lift the suspension entirely. It took great public outcry for them to even reduce it to three days instead of ten. What kind of school system would allow school policy to take precedence over common sense?
By Buzzle Staff and Agencies
Published: 5/8/2005

Ads by Google

Date: March 27, 2009 12:22PM

Junior probably could have used some stronger friends. Can you imagine what would have happened if he had suffered a real misfortune ( parent killed, loss of home, health issue)? If you were in his inner circle and you were belly aching about a school transfer like it was some kind of war crime, maybe your wuss attitude was a contributing factor?

The kid was transferred from one school to another, it's not like he was sent to Devils Island or something.

I'm sure the adnin that transferred him was a prick, but he didn't "kill him".
Grow up.

Posted by: Nutwing ()
Date: March 27, 2009 01:11PM

Our nazi FCPS administrator Little Miss Eva Braun, probably could used her nazi friends. Can you imagine what would have happened if she had to confront a real meance to society ( al-quada terrorist, MS-13 or SSL ang member)? If you were dealing with real dangers and watched her belly aching about a lonely teen like he was some kind of war deadly criminal, she might realize that it is her despicable bullying attitude that was the only factor?

The nazi was transferring an inncent loneley teen from one school to another just to be a nasty nazi bully; it's not like she was out there defending the country.

I'm sure the kid was a brat,, but he didn't kill anyone. Grow the phuk up.

Posted by: think about it ()
Date: March 27, 2009 02:16PM

Hey Wingnut

What you fail to Obviousy understand is that these are teenagers (can you remember that far back??) and being ripped from your school IS a major ordeal, that is their life. I think you are pretty arrogant to say that this kid had a mental issue. There are a million ways (cheap ways) to discipline these kids that doesn't involve ripping them out of their schools, what does that solve?? Make them do a year of community service on weekends,that would set them straight and it would get the message out to all of their friends that are doing the same thing too, but didn't get caught!

Posted by: funniest post by far ()
Date: March 27, 2009 02:49PM

See what 50 years will do.

Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1959 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.

2009 - School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

++++++++++++++++++++++
Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1959 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

2009 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scenario: Jason won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1959 - Jason sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still in class.

2009 - Jason given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jason has a disability.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.

1959 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.

1959 - Mark shares headache medicine with Principal out on the smoking dock.

2009 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1959 : Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2009 : Pedro's cause is taken up by state democratic party. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak English.

+++++++++++++++++++++
Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed

1959 - Ants die.

2009 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

+++++++++++++++++++++
Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary, hugs him to comfort him.

1959 - In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison.

Posted by: every parent should be angry ()
Date: March 27, 2009 04:18PM

A letter from Josh's mom-the South Lakes student who took his life.

I blame the Fairfax County School Board's policies that dictated their treatment of Josh that led to his death.

These policies must take into consideration the fact:

- that these are immature kids in a harsh world and

- that there is a difference between dealing drugs and stupid teen use and

- that great damage is done when you yank a kid out of the community that loves them and

- that when you expel a kid and take away the opportunity to participate in an activity in which they excel and derive a lot of self-esteem and confidence from (in Josh's case, football), you are taking away a part of their heart, soul and passion which kills them on the inside and

- that it is tough enough for our kids to compete for college admission spots and when you expel a child, you effectively make that goal exponentially more difficult to obtain and in the case of Josh, more than he could bear and

- that the county should do everything they can to make sure that every kid who wants to go to college, despite their mistakes, should be able to do so and

- that those who have never smoked pot in their HS/college years should cast the first stone.

Josh wrote two sentences on the note that we found. I believe the first is directed to FCPS and I would like to know the answer.

"Why does it have to be like this?"
Posted by Josh's mom at 1:33 PM

Posted by: Is this what we have become? ()
Date: March 27, 2009 04:26PM

Our School Board Hearing Experience
This post is from Josh's Dad & Mom:

We have been so moved by the comments from all of you and are blown away by the number of people who are reading this blog. Our intent in this post is one of education - for those who have never gone through the suspension/expulsion process within Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS). It is also to share our experience with those who have or are currently going through the process as we'd like to hear what your experience has been.

Langley HS (LHS)
On March 3, 2008, the Assistant Principal (AP) was monitoring the lunch period and noticed that Josh took food from the lunch line without paying for it. Josh was taken to another AP's office at which time a search was conducted of his backpack to see if there was any other food taken. They found an oval-shaped piece of screen and a small baggie containing substance that appeared to be marijuana. The School Resource Officer (SRO) took possession of the baggie and performed a field search and confirmed it was marijuana.

We were called and told that Josh was caught with possession of marijuana on school grounds which was a serious violation of the rules of conduct which meant an immediate ten-day suspension with a recommendation to the School Board for expulsion. (As you can imagine, we were both in complete shock). We went to the school and had a meeting with the AP, Josh and SRO. At first, Josh denied that the pot was his. He then amended his statement which I have posted below. He was allowed to get his belongings from both the school and gym locker, and then we left. I (Sue) took him immediately to an Urgent Care in Herndon for a drug test. The results of this test were negative, which means that he could not have used marijuana for the past 30-40 days as this is how long the drug stays in a person's system.

"I took a sandwich and milk from the cafeteria lunch without paying because at the time I had the idea and didn't tell myself not to. I deeply regret ever doing that; it was the wrong thing to do, and all just for a couple of bucks? When no one's looking I always still need to do the right thing. The bag of pot I bought from a guy after him and I hadn't finished smoking it about two weeks ago. The metal screen I had cut of somebody's glasses case with the intent of using it on a smoking device but I have never used it. Now more than anything I wish I hadn't bought it from that guy or smoked with him at all. I've been taking all the things in my life for granted, and now that it's all taken away: lacrosse, school, my friends, I'll do anything to get it back. It was the worst feeling walking out of my school knowing I might never come back; I wished that it wasn't happening to me, that it wasn't me taking that walk, but it was. All of these series of events are my fault and I have to take responsibility for every last bit of it. That comes with changing who I am; I have to have integrity and make the right choices, and I know I can if I'm given a second chance." Joshua Anderson

We received a letter from the Hearing Officer for the Superintendent that was dated March 11th that informed us that the hearing was to take place on March 24, 2008 at the FCPS administrative building, 21 days after the incident.

In the meantime, we were shuttling homework back and forth from LHS. They allowed quizzes and tests to come home so that he could take them under our supervision. The math teacher also recommended two students who came to our home and helped Josh keep up with the math work. (These two students came to our home after finding out about his death; I was so grateful to see them).

The hearing was attended by two Hearing Officers for the Superintendent, the AP who caught Josh, and the three of us. We were told that the hearing officers really do not like it when the family brings an attorney, so we didn't do this. The "expulsion packet" was what was in front of the officers and used as a basis for their questions. This packet consisted of the following items:

- one page student information form
- letters from the principal with the recommendation for expulsion
- photographs of the baggie with marijuana and screen as well the the contents of his backpack
- detailed incident report
- report from the other AP
- two of Josh's statements (initial and amended)
- attendance record
- grade report
- standardized test results
- Student Progress Report for Teachers Disciplinary Hearings (one for each teacher)
- Signed Student Responsibilities and Rights form (SR&R). Signed at the beginning of the school year.

We would like to share what is asked on the form that is filled out by the teachers.
- Academic strength and weaknesses
- Behavior
- Work habits
- Attitude and motivation
- Peer and adult relationships
- Disciplinary and academic interventions

We would like to the School Board to answer this question: Why aren't teachers asked this additional question: "Is this student a threat to the well-being of the school community?"

For those who have never been to a hearing, it is an experience that I wish you and your child would never have to endure. The AP did not say much except to relay the facts of the incident. We were told that the hearing officers would be asking Josh many questions and if he was slow to respond, or quiet, or non-communicative, it would not go well for him. This concerned us greatly as Josh was not a verbose young man; in fact, in front of any adult, including ourselves, he really mumbles and is quite difficult to understand.

The questioning started out in a reasonable way but as the meeting progressed and Josh was not showing forth the type of responses they wanted, it became more and more confrontational, which caused him to shut down even more. We did not feel good about Josh's chances after this meeting. In fact, Tim called one of the hearing officers the next day and said that he did not think they got the correct impression of Josh since he was so intimidated by the entire situation. The response back was basically that once Josh was caught on school property with marijuana, it was a done deal. So we take this to mean that it didn't matter what Josh said or did in the meeting; he was either going to another HS or he would be expelled.

On April 9th, over one month after the event, we received a letter saying that he would be allowed to attend South Lakes HS as a probationary student. There were several terms he was expected to adhere in this status, but I would like to post the paragraph that explained the extent of his relationship with LHS.

"Unless and until readmitted, Josh shall not be on the property or in the buildings of, or in the attendance of any activity (including, without limitation, social, athletic, or graduation-related), wherever located, involving Langley HS without the specific prior written permission of the Hearings Office. Any violation of this particular provision may lead to the imposition of further sanctions by the school administration or the filing of trespassing charges, or both. The proscriptions contained in this paragraph shall be applicable until such time as Josh reached 22 years of age or graduates from the high school, whichever shall last occur."

South Lakes HS (SLHS)
Josh began as a student at SLHS and was embraced by the administration and students. His football coach was particularly instrumental in ensuring that Josh was introduced to a number of teammates, which we appreciated so much at that time. He began a drug treatment program through the county and for various reasons, we made the move to a privately run program. He graduated from this program in November of 2008. He also successfully completed the SAFE program that was prescribed by the Juvenile Hearing Officer.

Unfortunately, almost a year to the date of the previous incident, Josh left school grounds with another student to have lunch at Taco Bell. They smoked a joint in the car on the way back, and were questioned by the AP while in the parking lot as to why they left school during regular hours. Upon exiting the car, the AP smelled marijuana and the SRO was called to assist. After searching their person, they conducted a search of the car and found a small container of pot, rolling paper and a piece.

Once again, we were called to get Josh as he was immediately suspended. His statement of this incident is below:

"I was found in the parking lot by the AP during lunch and because of the smell he decided to search the car and us and found weed and a piece. And I have been working hard at this, I can't believe I'm putting my parents through this now. They don't deserve this at all. I can't believe how selfish and stupid I've been. I really have been working on this I've been through the private counseling group and I've seen a psychiatrist regularly. I got extremely lazy and stupid. I've fully realized what has happened and what we are going to have to go through and I'm honestly going to try my hardest to fix this, help my parents, they haven't raised me to be like this in any way, I'm so scared for the future, this wasn't worth any of it at all. I've only recently been thinking I could make college football and I've gotten so excited about it and now everything's ruined and it wasn't worth it in any way. I've come to enjoy South Lakes. I was actually liking my teachers and classes and my coach. He helped welcoming me here at the beginning of football and made it more enjoyable. He's there so much for me and I can't believe I'm doing this to him as well. I had gotten it from someone who graduated from here last year I met one night and I'm not distributing marijuana or selling it, I was only sharing it with a friend. " Josh Anderson.
As last year, once Josh was suspended, he was grounded from everything; cell phone, car use, computer, I Pod, video games. He could only watch TV with us. We are parents who strongly believe that kids should have consequences for their behavior. We only allowed his girlfriend to visit each day.

We had decided to visit a lawyer that had experience with the County and the expulsion process. This meeting was on Monday, March 16th as the hearing was scheduled for Thursday morning, March 19th. We brought a copy of the expulsion packet that was sent to the Hearing Office by SLHS. The attorney asked Josh a few questions and basically told us that he would most likely be expelled from the County completely. If not, it would be the alternative school or the computer based learning program. She did not feel that he would be able to go back to SLHS or any other HS in the county. We then discussed other alternative for him; she suggested looking into private schools or a military school, which we just began doing. We also talked about the GED route, but in our minds, this would be only as a last resort. Another option we were pursuing but it probably would've been a dead end, was going to another county and enrolling him in school there. We did not have much hope for this as we heard that VA schools have the option and tend to uphold any suspension/expulsion decision from other VA School Boards. He rode back home with me and it was a quiet ride. He just put his seat back and looked out of the window. In hindsight, I should have told him, "no matter what, we will get through this." Why didn't I do this?

We never got to see what the County's decision would be as he took his life the day before the hearing.

This is our experience and we have many feelings about it. As mentioned in another post, the two people who are conducting the hearing had never met Josh before the first incident. The person in attendance from the school did not speak to Josh's character, overall behavior, or whether he was a threat to other students. Forgive me, but we thought this was the purpose of expulsion - to remove students that pose a real and genuine threat to the school community.

The fact that the hearing officer basically admitted that Josh's fate was sealed once he was found with marijuana in his possession begs this question: if this is the case, why the whole charade of the hearing? Why put parents and kids in this situation?

We have three older children that have successfully gone through FCPS; two are TJ graduates and one graduated from LHS. This situation was completely new to us and we were doing our best to navigate it by asking as many people as we could the same questions: what can we expect, how can we be best prepared for the hearing, what will it be like, etc. There was not one resource given to us by the county to help not only us, but our son with this process. It felt as if we had been placed on this fast moving train and we could not do anything to stop it. We felt completely helpless and at the mercy of, in our opinion, a very large, bureaucratic organization, with little or no compassion or concern for the well-being of our son.

Josh has violated the rules of conduct, we do not dispute this. However, he was treated as if he were a hard-core drug dealer. Why aren't there varying degrees of consequences for those that yes, make very poor decisions but would be clearly open to help, if given, by those in their school community?

Why isn't there an intermediate step before a child goes before the Hearing Officer for the Superintendent? As mentioned in a previous post, we would suggest that there should be a hearing with members of the school community: administrators, teachers, counselors, SRO's, etc. The child should have consequences: suspension, placed on probation, community service within the school, mandatory meetings with the counselor/school psychologist, meetings with the parents, etc. If the student had violated probation, then it would go to the School Board for consideration for transfer to another school or potential expulsion.

If a student exhibits a desire to attend college and is not a threat to the school community, we feel it is the County's responsibility not to expel the child, but to work with them and the parents so that they can succeed and have an opportunity for a future.

Now that he is gone, we write this in hopes that the Fairfax County School Board will look at their policies and consider what role their treatment of Josh may have had on his decision to take his own life.
Posted by Josh's mom at 1:35 PM

Pages: Previous123456AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 6

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.