HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 1234567AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 7
FCPS votes on Clifton Elementary's future 7/ 8/2010
Posted by: herewegoagain ()
Date: July 07, 2010 10:24PM

The FCPS School Board is scheduled to vote on whether or not to close Clifton Elementary on Thursday, July 8, 2010.

The School Board is going to make a decision on the fate of Clifton Elementary even though there is no plan in place as to where those student's will go once their school is closed.

There is absolutely no benefit to the Clifton Community or to the taxpayer's of Fairfax County if the school is closed. In fact, closing Clifton Elementary will likely cause more problems with overcrowding and additional expense to taxpayer's in the long run.

Fairfax County created the Clifton community when they deemed this area to be a low population/low density area in order to preserve the Occoquan Water Shed, and that plan included a school to serve this community. Now the School Board wants to disregard that plan and close that community's school? An award winning school, in a community that clearly does not want expensive renovations?

What is wrong with this picture????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS votes on Clifton Elementary's future 7/ 8/2010
Posted by: CheekyMonkey ()
Date: July 08, 2010 09:05AM

Does this topic really need ANOTHER thread?

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/364156.html

No sympathy from me on this...it would be nice for everyone to have a small, semi-private school in their neighborhood, but I just don't buy that there is NO economic benefit to closing Clifton Elementary. Also, prove to me that having these children go elsewhere will provide a sub-standard elementary education.

Posted by: tehee ()
Date: July 08, 2010 09:36AM

Nearly every notice put out by this group has had errors; funny when it's in support of an educational facility. To whomever is putting these out--you don't use an apostrophe to designate a plural.

"There is absolutely no benefit to the Clifton Community or to the taxpayer's of Fairfax County if the school is closed."

From the one they sent out this morning:

It is really anyone's guess at this point as to how the Board member's are going to vote, and it would be nice to reinforce our support to keep Clifton Elementary OPEN before they each raise their hand.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 08, 2010 10:08AM

CheekyMonkey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Also, prove to me that having these
> children go elsewhere will provide a sub-standard
> elementary education.

While that is always the underlying idea, as it was with the South Lakes boundary adjustment, I think their main concern about sending the kids elsewhere is that they will lose their sense of community. There was also a terrible article in the Centreview that claimed several businesses in the area would have to close if the school was closed.

There is a town meeting hall adjacent to the fire station. Why is this not the center of the community?

Posted by: CheekyMonkey ()
Date: July 08, 2010 10:16AM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> CheekyMonkey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Also, prove to me that having these
> > children go elsewhere will provide a
> sub-standard
> > elementary education.
>
>
> While that is always the underlying idea, as it
> was with the South Lakes boundary adjustment, I
> think their main concern about sending the kids
> elsewhere is that they will lose their sense of
> community. There was also a terrible article in
> the Centreview that claimed several businesses in
> the area would have to close if the school was
> closed.
>
> There is a town meeting hall adjacent to the fire
> station. Why is this not the center of the
> community?

The arguments around sense of community, breaking friendships and sports are not very compelling. Children are resilient and I am pretty sure that there are plenty of studies to show that they adapt pretty well to change. This is not the death of a parent...they are simply changing schools. Seriously, show me a more transient area in the country...are you going to tell me that the children of military families are irreparably harmed as a result of every PCS? I know that it happens in some cases, but if it was a universal problem we would hear more about it.

Plus, what businesses are we talking about here? Petersen's ice cream shop? Please! The Town of Clifton does not live and die based on the existence of an elementary school.

Date: July 08, 2010 10:41AM

Sorry your white Johnny is going to have to sit next to black Malcolm or brown Jose or yellow Lee next year, but those are the breaks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: herewegoagain ()
Date: July 08, 2010 03:39PM

Too many decisions being made with the tone of "We know best", not enough sharing of data.

http://files.connectionnewspapers.com/PDF/current/McLean.pdf

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: July 08, 2010 06:50PM

herewegoagain Wrote:
> Too many decisions being made with the tone of "We
> know best", not enough sharing of data.
>

The problem with the opinion article is that it assumes that there's data to be shared. From my experience with Floris' far too many redistrictings, the fact is, there's very little data, and what data there is is highly suspect.

Posted by: say ()
Date: July 08, 2010 10:42PM

With the RE taxes they pay down there, they should have been allowed to keep their local school.

Date: July 09, 2010 07:02AM

This is pretty typical. People bitch about government spending too much, and then they bitch even more when government tries to cut spending. Grow the fuck up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: IMBY ()
Date: July 09, 2010 07:35AM

So did SB vote to close Clifton? If so, by what vote and who opposed?

Posted by: say ()
Date: July 09, 2010 08:21AM

IMBY Wrote:
> So did SB vote to close Clifton? If so, by what
> vote and who opposed?

Yes, Clifton ES is finished.

Opposed were Hone and Evans. Hone even introduced an amendment to just do nothing for now. It failed. She rightfully said that there was no urgency in deciding Clifton's fate before the upcoming boundary study even begins.

Posted by: CliftonRed ()
Date: July 09, 2010 10:52AM

You can thank heartless bitches like Liz Bradshaw and Kathy Smith for this mess. They have destroyed and torn apart a community, closed down a historic institution, and above all (especially in Bradshaw's case... who mind you is supposed to represent the district of Clifton as well as West Springfield, voted to close Clifton down) misrepresented the people of her district.

This really is a sad day. While there are some valid arguments as to why Clifton should be closed down, the "fixable solution" to the problem (that does not require closing the school), has been drowned out by majority of the school board's failed ability to see beyond the statistics and papers, and into the gravity of the real life circumstances. These people have torn apart a community, that has always been anchored down by its school.

In spite of all the negative talk and circumstances, I do want to extend a very large thank you to Ms. Hone, the school board member who with all her might defended Clifton Elementary and proposed a well-thought out amendment that could benefit all Fairfax County Schools as well as Clifton Elementary. Sadly, majority of the school board was too stubborn and too heartless to listen to Ms. Hones and what she had to say, and for that matter failed to listen to the Clifton Community as a whole.

Date: July 09, 2010 10:59AM

The woman's name is Liz Bradsher not Bradshaw. I made a mistake with the spelling. Anyhow, she is the woman who betrayed her community and voted for Clifton Elementary to close.

Posted by: The Truth for Freedom ()
Date: July 09, 2010 11:06AM

I didn't follow the story closely, but it exemplifies a situation that has gone on for far too long now with politics:

Politicians ignoring the constituents that voted them into office, and caring only about what they want to do, rather than be the true "voice" of the people who elected them.

How can this Bradsher who apparently represents the Clifton district vote against what the vast majority of her constituents wanted?

It makes zero sense, and that is not what this country was founded to do. Government is supposed to be "of the people, by the people, for the people".

If other school board members disagree, so be it. But the school board member elected to represent those people must DO HER DUTY.

Posted by: Disgusted ()
Date: July 09, 2010 11:39AM

Liz Bradsher wants to run for County Supervisor. Often Board of Education Members next step on the ladder is County Supervisor.

Surely people can see that this was as much about political posturing as anything else.

If you watched last night, you would see how they brought up the current County Supervisors several times and specifically mentioned Pat Herrity (who would be Liz Bradsher's opponent when she runs for that office). Did you also hear West Springfield HS mentioned and the question as to WHY it was mentioned since there are other schools ahead of it? Well here is the real answer - WSHS is IN Liz Bradsher's District! She would need their vote to become County Supervisor and beat Pat Herrity.

Hopefully WSHS will see through this political nonsense and how it has now irreperably damaged another community. My children were CRYING this morning when we had to tell them that the Board voted to close the school. Would WSHS wanted to have to tell their children that? Clifton didn't want a renovation and would have been more than happy to give their slot on the queue to WSHS. They could have gone to #1 in the queue versus just being bumped up a couple of years if Liz had really supported it. They are the Board Members and can vote for whatever they want.

Shame on Liz Bradsher! She shouldn't be a Board of Education Member and should NEVER become a County Supervisor.

Posted by: k ()
Date: July 09, 2010 12:48PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> Sorry your white Johnny is going to have to sit
> next to black Malcolm or brown Jose or yellow Lee
> next year, but those are the breaks.

So Clifton residents are racist because they want to keep open a school that's actually performing well? I don't get the connection.

Posted by: CliftonParent ()
Date: July 09, 2010 12:57PM

k Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> -----
> > Sorry your white Johnny is going to have to sit
> > next to black Malcolm or brown Jose or yellow
> Lee
> > next year, but those are the breaks.
>
>

First of all, Clifton is not all "white Johnnys". Secondly, we had hoped more students would be able to come to the school and said so many times and would have very much welcomed it.

Haven't you posted this same comment on other boards before? What is up with that?

Posted by: boooohooo ()
Date: July 09, 2010 01:10PM

It went through so get over it.

Posted by: wtf ()
Date: July 09, 2010 06:25PM

boooohooo Wrote:
> It went through so get over it.

STFU. It must be nice to be blissfully ignorant and not care about how the FCPS School Board is screwing Fairfax County and wasting your money.

Clifton wanted nothing, asked for nothing, demanded nothing. The Board said the water is contaminated in the beginning this BS a year ago as the main excuse to close Clifton. But then they fixed the water, which made that obsolete as an excuse to close the school.

So suddenly the main excuse was there's no fire sprikler system, it's unsafe! The fire sprinkler system was shown to be an easy fix, for a much lower dollar amount that originally predicted by the School Board's Staff (imagine that!!!).

So suddenly the school's enrollment is dropping! BASED ON WHAT???? Housing records and birth rates from 2008 for zip code 20124. What the hell happened to the other two zip codes that attend Clifton Elementary??? If those two zip codes, which coincidentally include 2 of the most heavily populated neighborhoods in the Clifton attendance area had been included in the projection, the projected enrollment would have been much higher, and certainly more accurate.

And for those of you screaming that the School Board is saving tax dollars by closing the school.....how much do you think they spent over the last year putting on this dog and pony show called the SW Regional Planning Study? How much was spent fixing the "contaminated" well just 1 month ago? Which was fixed, and the water was fine. How much was spent on the Feasibility Study in the very beginning of this? How much was spent on 2 different property appraisals in the last two years?? How much $$$$ have they wasted to decide to close a school?? $2 million? $3 Million? That would have been more than enough to fix the so-called "safety" issues at Clifton. So that's $$$$$$$ down the drain to close a school?? How does that save taxpayer money?

Liz Bradsher played this community like a fiddle... Bravo, Liz!!! It was a fine performance! You should be proud, and also know that you haven't fooled everyone. There will be an election next year, and I think I can safely speak for the entire Clifton Community when I say, We CAN'T WAIT to vote against YOU!

Date: July 09, 2010 06:46PM

I couldn't agree more with the post above. Completely true!

Date: July 09, 2010 06:52PM

wtf Wrote:
> boooohooo Wrote:

>
> Liz Bradsher played this community like a
> fiddle... Bravo, Liz!!! It was a fine
> performance! You should be proud, and also know
> that you haven't fooled everyone. There will be
> an election next year, and I think I can safely
> speak for the entire Clifton Community when I say,
> We CAN'T WAIT to vote against YOU!

Wow, the entire town of clifton wont vote for her.... How many is that 100 people? Quit crying like a little girl booohooo booohooo

Date: July 09, 2010 06:53PM

The district of Clifton has far more than 100 people. Maybe you could use a little elementary school education yourself.

Date: July 09, 2010 06:57PM

CliftonRed Wrote:
> The district of Clifton has far more than 100
> people. Maybe you could use a little elementary
> school education yourself.

I would go to clifton ES but apparently there will not be a elementary school their anymore.. Where shall I go big red?

Date: July 09, 2010 07:04PM

boooohooo Wrote:
>
> I would go to clifton ES but apparently there
> will not be a elementary school their anymore..
> Where shall I go big red?

Go to Asbestos Elementary School which they are eventually going to push on taxpayers and build next to Liberty Middle!

Posted by: OMG!!! ()
Date: July 09, 2010 07:07PM

CliftonParent Wrote:
> boooohooo Wrote:
> -----
> .
> >
> > I would go to clifton ES but apparently there
> > will not be a elementary school their anymore..
> > Where shall I go big red?
>
>
> Go to Asbestos Elementary School which they are
> eventually going to push on taxpayers and build
> next to Liberty Middle!

Asbestos?? Are you serious. OMG did you get the blueprints to the place? Do the BP say where they are going to put the Asbestos

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: July 09, 2010 07:32PM

The utter shock of [spoiled] folks not getting what they wanted for once is quite telling in these Clifton threads. It does make one wonder what the fear is with losing this school. Clifton isn't diverse, and I do think WTL may be on target with his assertion.

Census: The racial makeup of the town was 98.92% white, 0.54% Asian, 0.54% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.54% of the population.

Posted by: OMGisRIGHT ()
Date: July 09, 2010 07:44PM

It is in the ground. Well documented too. When they dig it up in order to build the new school the fibers become airborne. Hope you don't have any children attending Liberty Middle or playing on the fields over there while fibers are floating through the air. Asbestos can cause cancer. The Board kept mentioning their concern for the 'safety' of children at Clifton. If they obviously knew about the asbestos in the ground and are so concerned about safety than why was there EVER a proposal to build a new school next to an existing school known to have asbestos in the first place? Things that make you go hmmm.....

Now that they have now closed Clifton and since there is so much GROWTH on the other side of 29 with no place left to build, eventually they will have to build there AND YOU will get to pay for it! You, Fairfax County parents, are fools and are going to get cornered into this.

You won't be the first ones though that have to deal with asbestos.
http://www.asbestosnetwork.com/news/nw_061705_eldorado.htm

Date: July 09, 2010 07:53PM

Dane Bramage Wrote:
> The utter shock of folks not getting what they
> wanted for once is quite telling in these Clifton
> threads. It does make one wonder what the fear is
> with losing this school. Clifton isn't diverse,
> and I do think WTL may be on target with his
> assertion.
>
> Census: The racial makeup of the town was 98.92%
> white, 0.54% Asian, 0.54% from other races.
> Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.54% of the
> population.

Spoiled? That's rich (no pun intended). FCPS says the school does not have a fancy enough stage or a media center that has the fanciest equipment, should have better this and better that and Clifton says they don't want it - give it to somebody else! Then you come on this thread with nothing but comments about RACE and calling Clifton spoiled. That's downright hilarious. Maybe you need to look inward.

Posted by: OMG!! ()
Date: July 09, 2010 08:11PM

OMGisRIGHT Wrote:
> It is in the ground. Well documented too. When
> they dig it up in order to build the new school
> the fibers become airborne. Hope you don't have
> any children attending Liberty Middle or playing
> on the fields over there while fibers are floating
> through the air. Asbestos can cause cancer. The
> Board kept mentioning their concern for the
> 'safety' of children at Clifton. If they
> obviously knew about the asbestos in the ground
> and are so concerned about safety than why was
> there EVER a proposal to build a new school next
> to an existing school known to have asbestos in
> the first place? Things that make you go
> hmmm.....
>
> Now that they have now closed Clifton and since
> there is so much GROWTH on the other side of 29
> with no place left to build, eventually they will
> have to build there AND YOU will get to pay for
> it! You, Fairfax County parents, are fools and
> are going to get cornered into this.
>
> You won't be the first ones though that have to
> deal with asbestos.
> http://www.asbestosnetwork.com/news/nw_061705_eld
> orado.htm

You have no facts, try again. You posted your source from a webiste in CA.

Posted by: Big bite ()
Date: July 09, 2010 08:17PM

OMGisRIGHT Wrote:
> the fibers become airborne.

Where are the documents? high concentrations of Asbestos is in the ground all over virgina because it is naturally occuring

Date: July 09, 2010 08:37PM

Big bite Wrote:
> OMGisRIGHT Wrote:
> -----
> > It is in the ground. Well documented too.
> When
> > they dig it up in order to build the new school
> > the fibers become airborne.
>
>
> Where are the documents? high concentrations of
> Asbestos is in the ground all over virgina because
> it is naturally occuring

FCPS website. Environmental Assessment Map, Liberty Site.
http://www.fcps.edu/news/swcountyschls.htm

It's all about COST of removal and SAFETY. If they have done this before right next door to an existing school containing children in classes and playing on the open fields while they are doing it, please let us know where.

Posted by: Fairfax_longtime ()
Date: July 09, 2010 08:41PM

CliftonParent Wrote:
> Dane Bramage Wrote:
> -----
> > The utter shock of folks not getting what they
> > wanted for once is quite telling in these
> Clifton
> > threads. It does make one wonder what the fear
> is
> > with losing this school. Clifton isn't diverse,
> > and I do think WTL may be on target with his
> > assertion.
> >
> > Census: The racial makeup of the town was
> 98.92%
> > white, 0.54% Asian, 0.54% from other races.
> > Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.54% of
> the
> > population.
>
> Spoiled? That's rich (no pun intended). FCPS
> says the school does not have a fancy enough stage
> or a media center that has the fanciest equipment,
> should have better this and better that and
> Clifton says they don't want it - give it to
> somebody else! Then you come on this thread with
> nothing but comments about RACE and calling
> Clifton spoiled. That's downright hilarious.
> Maybe you need to look inward.

The Clifton school should have been closed ten years ago. The upper middle class locals have fought this for years. The same kind of stuff went on in the late 60's / early 70's when the Fairfax county schools were forced to give up the seperate but equal plan. This closure may help some of the private schools in the area just like it did back then.

Posted by: Springfield ()
Date: July 09, 2010 08:42PM

Why don't all you Cliftonites get together and incorporate as a city? Then you can have your own school board, like Fairfax City.

Date: July 09, 2010 08:44PM

BTW, it is our understanding that the building of the new school is now off the table. It seems like common sense to ask, though, since they have now decided to close Clifton Elementary and there is crowding by 29 and there are no other properties owned by FCPS, where do you think they are going to eventually build? Hmmm......

Posted by: taxpayer47 ()
Date: July 09, 2010 09:03PM

OMGisRIGHT Wrote:
> BTW, it is our understanding that the building of
> the new school is now off the table. It seems
> like common sense to ask, though, since they have
> now decided to close Clifton Elementary and there
> is crowding by 29 and there are no other
> properties owned by FCPS, where do you think they
> are going to eventually build? Hmmm......

Did you guys see the little kids on the news tonight?? Its one thing to be a snobby racist yourself but quite another to whore your kids out on the television news. I know these Clifton bitches will burn in hell forever.

Posted by: saxon ()
Date: July 09, 2010 09:11PM

My heart goes out to all Cliftonites. This is a travesty.

But I must ask, how did you let this happen? Politicians all have their price, and you should have been writing checks for years before this happened. You don't have to buy the entire board, just a majority!

The school board wouldn't have even dreamt of closing one of our community (Great falls) schools, let alone do it. Same with redistrictings, they wouldn't dare.

Tying red ribbons on sign posts is a cute gesture, but totally ineffective. All these people understand is cold, hard cash!

Date: July 09, 2010 09:23PM

CliftonParent Wrote:
> Then you come on this thread with
> nothing but comments about RACE and calling
> Clifton spoiled. That's downright hilarious.
> Maybe you need to look inward.

It seems that I have struck a chord with the census facts. Not very far from the truth, am I?

Look, I have no problem with your town's sense of entitlement, but the effort of the merry band of KKKliftonites was an epic fail due to the fact that this school had to be closed for fiscal responsibility and stewardship of county funds.

Posted by: In the Know ()
Date: July 09, 2010 09:28PM

OMGisRIGHT Wrote:
> the fibers become airborne. Hope you don't have
> any children attending Liberty Middle or playing
> on the fields over there while fibers are floating
> through the air. Asbestos can cause cancer. The
> Board kept mentioning their concern for the
> 'safety' of children at Clifton. If they
> obviously knew about the asbestos in the ground
> and are so concerned about safety than why was
> there EVER a proposal to build a new school next
> to an existing school known to have asbestos in
> the first place? Things that make you go
> hmmm.....
>
> Now that they have now closed Clifton and since
> there is so much GROWTH on the other side of 29
> with no place left to build, eventually they will
> have to build there AND YOU will get to pay for
> it! You, Fairfax County parents, are fools and
> are going to get cornered into this.
>
> You won't be the first ones though that have to
> deal with asbestos.
> http://www.asbestosnetwork.com/news/nw_061705_eld
> orado.htm

You're a scaremongering idiot. Do some research. The entire Clifton/Centreville/Fairfax area is rife with natural asbestos rock and guess what? That land gets developed. All the time. Oak Marr, Little Rocky Run, Random Hills, all that crap along 29 from Jermantown to Holly Avenue, that new ballfield off of Braddock right off of the Parkway, etc., etc.

It's not the same asbestos that you put into buildings and it's not even regulated by the EPA or Virginia. However, the Fairfax County Health Department has two directives that govern how to work in these types of areas. It's perfectly fucking safe. After the site work is completed they need to put 3"- 6" of "clean" soil on the site when done. Your little snowflake isn't going to get lung cancer. The original Clifton Elem. building probably has a ton of lead paint and real asbestos in it.

Date: July 09, 2010 09:55PM

Lots of cussing and assertations, but where are your facts In the Know? Here are some actual facts: The EPA report notes that the risk of contracting an asbestos disease increases based on several factors: higher levels of asbestos fibers in the air, higher frequency of asbestos exposure, longer duration of exposure, and the time that elapses after asbestos exposure. Since children have a longer life expectancy than adults, a child exposed to asbestos may have a greater risk of developing an asbestos disease than does an adult.

Again, In the Know, where has FCPS disturbed the asbestos with children immediately adjacent and playing out in the fields and in school? Where? When? We would really like to know.

http://www.asbestosnetwork.com/news/nw_061705_eldorado.htm

Posted by: OMGisRIGHTisSTUPID ()
Date: July 09, 2010 10:29PM

OMGisRIGHT Wrote:
> Lots of cussing and assertations, but where are
> your facts In the Know? Here are some actual
> facts: The EPA report notes that the risk of
> contracting an asbestos disease increases based on
> several factors: higher levels of asbestos fibers
> in the air, higher frequency of asbestos exposure,
> longer duration of exposure, and the time that
> elapses after asbestos exposure. Since children
> have a longer life expectancy than adults, a child
> exposed to asbestos may have a greater risk of
> developing an asbestos disease than does an
> adult.
>
> Again, In the Know, where has FCPS disturbed the
> asbestos with children immediately adjacent and
> playing out in the fields and in school? Where?
> When? We would really like to know.
>
> http://www.asbestosnetwork.com/news/nw_061705_eldo
> rado.htm

Maybe it's a different soil type. Maybe they didn't put 6" of clean dirt on top of it. Maybe El Dorado CALIFORNIA doesn't have any regulations whatsoever and developers can do whatever the heck they want to. Maybe you should do some more research into their situation before making an apples to apples comparison.

Furthermore, FCPS isn't going to disturb the asbestos rock themselves. Their contractor is, if they encounter it at all. That stuff could be 20 feet below the ground. Of course, it could also be 6" underground. Big deal. Developments have been going on in these areas of FFX Co. for decades, some right next to established neighborhoods. Nobody is dying of asbestos related lung cancer from Ryan Homes digging a sewer trench 30 yards away.

Grasp at those straws. Grasp at anything that can keep your lily white, Norman Rockwell existence in place and your children away from those pesky brown people.

Date: July 09, 2010 10:30PM

OMGisRIGHT Wrote:
> elapses after asbestos exposure. Since children
> have a longer life expectancy than adults, a child
> exposed to asbestos may have a greater risk of
> developing an asbestos disease than does an
> adult.
>

Time to condemn Little Rocky Run.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 09, 2010 10:39PM

OMGisRIGHT Wrote:
> elapses after asbestos exposure.

Technically true, but unless your children are mining raw asbestos or combating the recession by removing old pipe insulation for some fly by night contractor, they'll be fine.

Posted by: Dell ave. ()
Date: July 10, 2010 07:27AM

taxpayer47 Wrote:
> OMGisRIGHT Wrote:
> -----
> > BTW, it is our understanding that the building
> of
> > the new school is now off the table. It seems
> > like common sense to ask, though, since they
> have
> > now decided to close Clifton Elementary and
> there
> > is crowding by 29 and there are no other
> > properties owned by FCPS, where do you think
> they
> > are going to eventually build? Hmmm......
>
>
> Did you guys see the little kids on the news
> tonight?? Its one thing to be a snobby racist
> yourself but quite another to whore your kids out
> on the television news. I know these Clifton
> bitches will burn in hell forever.

The new fight song of the save clifton school movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4toJ7yaTbI&feature=related

Posted by: FairTax ()
Date: July 10, 2010 12:42PM

This decision has everything to do with a continuing spat between the School Board (angry teenager) and the Board of Supervisors (Mom and Dad). When Mom and Dad don't cough up money in the volumes requested by the teenager, the teenager takes out their rage on the family belongings (aka Clifton Elementary). Now it will be interesting to see how Mom and Dad react. I'm betting it isn't going to be by writing fat checks to the teenager....and unfortunately this childish spat will continue until the School Board realizes who really is in charge around here.

Posted by: interested observer ()
Date: July 10, 2010 08:18PM

Dear Clifton Community,

As I have previously posted, I watched with interest (and heartbreak) the farce the other night on cable. My heart goes out to you. As I had (unfortunately) predicted, BRADSHER was a traitor. While elected to represent you (and WSHS), she only advocates for her South County "Stepford Wives" community. COMMUNITY . . .what an interesting word. Bradsher was willing to move heaven and earth to support a "COMMUNITY SCHOOL" in SOCO . . .witness the SOCO Middle School (a totally new school vice an add-on to SOCO Secondary because her little darlings "DESERVE"--their words, a middle school). Witness Laurel Hill. (another COMMUNITY school . . .what a UNIQUE concept). Spend those taxpayer dollars, Lizzie, for YOUR COMMUNITY SCHOOLS, but who cares about the rest of the COMMUNITY that you SUPPOSEDLY represent??!! I bet you don't even have the courage to read these posts!!!
"
I also laughed (as many of you did) when her "brilliant daughter" sent her a text re: water quality issues at Clifton which she then presents as "fact." A SOCO student (a qualified expert, of course) relaying facts about Clifton's water issues.

TIME TO CASHIER BRADSHER! (and again, I don't have a kid in this fight). I am just an "interested observer" who has been watching Bradsher's hypocrisy of SOCO support vice Clifton and WSHS . . .(or as Lizzie might say . . .CLIFTON AND WSHS WHO??????) What happened to representing the interests of the people you represent, Lizzie? Kudos to Tina Hone!!!!!

Posted by: Bradsher needs to go ()
Date: July 10, 2010 08:23PM

I love all the hatred flowing through this thread about "rich white people" and how they whine and complain about their school closing down. Fuck you all. It doesn't matter if the people are rich and white. Anyone, including all the people who comment on this thread that has nothing to do with them, would gripe about their school closing.

Don't make the jealous rants of "hahahaha you rich fuckers got what you deserved" simply because you dont have money or a good enough school to be districted to. I'm sorry to all the lifeless computer zombies, dull and pitifully insignificant suburban posters and bloggers who will amount to nothing in life... that these "rich white people" got somewhere (unlike you) and they deserve to bitch about whatever they please.... after all guess who pays more in tax money then your sorry suburban mediocre asses.... all those "rich white people". Next time try leaving your tiny shithole of a house, or let's make baby steps... your computer.... not go to a fucking joke of a school... get some motivated and succeed in life. Being a "regular" or a "troll" on Fairfaxunderground is nothing to be proud of, it's simply something to pity.

Posted by: Bradsher needs to go ()
Date: July 10, 2010 08:24PM

*motivation

Posted by: This is too funny ()
Date: July 10, 2010 08:27PM

God forbid there be a school filled with majority white children...no that makes it segregated. God forbid one elementary school isn't flooded with illegal immigrant children.

Posted by: Dell ave ()
Date: July 10, 2010 10:06PM

Bradsher needs to go Wrote:
> I love all the hatred flowing through this thread
> about "rich white people" and how they whine and
> complain about their school closing down. Fuck you
> all. It doesn't matter if the people are rich and
> white. Anyone, including all the people who
> comment on this thread that has nothing to do with
> them, would gripe about their school closing.
>
> Don't make the jealous rants of "hahahaha you rich
> fuckers got what you deserved" simply because you
> dont have money or a good enough school to be
> districted to. I'm sorry to all the lifeless
> computer zombies, dull and pitifully insignificant
> suburban posters and bloggers who will amount to
> nothing in life... that these "rich white people"
> got somewhere (unlike you) and they deserve to
> bitch about whatever they please.... after all
> guess who pays more in tax money then your sorry
> suburban mediocre asses.... all those "rich white
> people". Next time try leaving your tiny shithole
> of a house, or let's make baby steps... your
> computer.... not go to a fucking joke of a
> school... get some motivated and succeed in life.
> Being a "regular" or a "troll" on
> Fairfaxunderground is nothing to be proud of, it's
> simply something to pity.

Have you ever gotten anyone to give a shit about anything youve had to say before?

Posted by: MommyLion ()
Date: July 11, 2010 02:10AM

Too funny -
To boooohooo, CheekyMonkey, OMG, Dan Bramage, taxpayer47, IntheKnow -
Hi Liz, we know it's you - enjoying this?
Don't you have some baby seals to beat to death?

Oh - OMGisRIGHTisSTUPID - Hi Stu - how are you puppetmaster? Proud of your protege?

To Warhawk -
The taxpayers would mine asbestos - it's called construction you dolt. Tisdadt is a liar (what word is worse than liar?) - 'we didn't find any asbestos when we built Liberty' - guess what, chief? Core samples from the build are publicly available...and yeah, it's been built on - just not with kiddies over the decontamination wall on all sides - up to 300 meters needed for buffer so Johnny, Janie, Javier, Josephina and Jamal don't SUCK it every day at Liberty and the christian school & church across the street.

Oh, if they don't build there - just spent a year and $2M taxpayer bucks - yup, that's you WashingTone Locian.
Fraud, incompetence or negligence? Dunno, take your pick.

Date: July 11, 2010 02:27AM

Sorry - IntheKnow - on a reread, hi Stu.

Hope you are having fun.

taxpayer47 - the folks in Clifton whored out their kids, Liz? how about dragging your daughter into your little well water fight - a new low, clap clap - congrats for a new record. PS - report's in - water's fine...unlike the koolaid you are dishing out.

BTW, if you'd both throw out the 2000-2500 illegals that PW had the guts to kick out, plus all the ones already in FC choking us to death with our budget, we could do what we needed for the children of taxpayers in our county...that's what, 3 - 4% of the entire student enrollment? Someone call ICE.

Posted by: NoWhitiesNeedApply ()
Date: July 11, 2010 03:03AM

WashingTone-Locian

hey, superlib - buy a house in ffx station or clifton...it's a free country. last i heard, real estate agent's are happy to make money off anyone - it's all green baby, all green.

just don't hope you have any kids - whatever color - b/c there's no place for them to go to school.

other than that...

Posted by: SayWHAT?! ()
Date: July 11, 2010 05:19AM

a picture's worth a 1,000 words
Attachments:
My Pretty.jpg

Posted by: Bitchwitch ()
Date: July 11, 2010 05:44AM

SayWHAT?! Wrote:
> a picture's worth a 1,000 words

Now Liz the BITCH has another name that she can use, Liz the WITCH.

Posted by: ShameOnLiz ()
Date: July 11, 2010 07:50AM

She needs to get doused with water during the next election so she can melt away from ever holding public office again. Clifton's single biggest mistake was actually believing her campaign promises. Shame on Liz!

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: July 11, 2010 08:41AM

Will Liz get the Republican endorsement next year?

Date: July 11, 2010 09:59AM

MommyLion Wrote:

> To Warhawk -
> The taxpayers would mine asbestos - it's called
> construction you dolt. Tisdadt is a liar (what
> word is worse than liar?) - 'we didn't find any
> asbestos when we built Liberty' - guess what,
> chief? Core samples from the build are publicly
> available...and yeah, it's been built on - just
> not with kiddies over the decontamination wall on
> all sides - up to 300 meters needed for buffer so
> Johnny, Janie, Javier, Josephina and Jamal don't
> SUCK it every day at Liberty and the christian
> school & church across the street.

You clearly have no clue. In The Know's post was pretty much spot on. But I guess we can't let facts get in the way of ruining your little bitchfest. Enjoy your new school!!!

Posted by: WarhawkNOT ()
Date: July 11, 2010 12:37PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> MommyLion Wrote:
> -----
>
> > To Warhawk -
> > The taxpayers would mine asbestos - it's called
> > construction you dolt. Tisdadt is a liar (what
> > word is worse than liar?) - 'we didn't find any
> > asbestos when we built Liberty' - guess what,
> > chief? Core samples from the build are publicly
> > available...and yeah, it's been built on - just
> > not with kiddies over the decontamination wall
> on
> > all sides - up to 300 meters needed for buffer
> so
> > Johnny, Janie, Javier, Josephina and Jamal
> don't
> > SUCK it every day at Liberty and the christian
> > school & church across the street.
>
>
> You clearly have no clue. In The Know's post was
> pretty much spot on. But I guess we can't let
> facts get in the way of ruining your little
> bitchfest. Enjoy your new school!!!

And Warhawk is an expert because he saw some dirt get blown up while playing with Playstation 3.

Date: July 11, 2010 12:38PM

Warhawk deserves a photography award for his artistic talents! That picture of Liz Bradsher is hilarious!

Date: July 11, 2010 12:39PM

Sorry Warhawk didn't post that, but whoever did is completely correct on the portrayal of the wicked witch.

Posted by: no to Bradsher ()
Date: July 11, 2010 12:56PM

I agree that the posts about "rich white" people wanting their own school are ridiculous. A couple of years ago the board decided to close Graham Road Elementary School---ostensibly because the grounds were not big enough or it wasn't safe or whatever. That school is overwhelmingly Hispanic and Asian and those people did not want to move to another school because their school is part of their COMMUNITY. They enjoyed walking their kids to school and being close to their school (what?---poor brown people want a community school too?). This has nothing to do with being rich or poor or brown, black or white. It has everything to do with community---and this is not just about the kids. Schools create community for the ADULTS too. All kinds of events at school bring neighbors together (clubs, music programs, scouts, sports leagues, carnivals, etc.) Also the school board did not tell people where these kids will be going to school (and it sounds like it will be divide and bus).

I don't live in Clifton and I don't have elementary aged children, but I did grow up in a rural setting (whose elementary school has since been closed). All I can say is that the Clifton voters can make a difference in an election with Liz Bradsher. Those elections often don't have big turnouts---and the Clifton voters can and should make a difference.

Date: July 11, 2010 01:05PM

The folks in Clifton have only themselves to blame. For years they have tried to keep Clifton exclusive by zoning large parcels and keeping VRE out. Now you have an aging population, housing that is too expensive for young families resulting in too few kids to justify an Elementary school. Good job.

Date: July 11, 2010 01:06PM

I've read the articles, editorial and letters in the Fairfax County Times, plus the posts here and do not see a factual or compelling reason why Clifton should remain open. The tone of the posts is generally senseless anger like the one below, and beside "we don't want to close because our kids go there", there doesn't seem to be a reason why it shouldn't close.

I also think that the town of Clifton and the sparsely populated area that surrounds the town will be hard pressed to garner enough votes to oust Bradsher if in fact she does have the support of the rest of her district.

Only time will tell.

Bradsher needs to go Wrote:
> I love all the hatred flowing through this thread
> about "rich white people" and how they whine and
> complain about their school closing down. Fuck you
> all. It doesn't matter if the people are rich and
> white. Anyone, including all the people who
> comment on this thread that has nothing to do with
> them, would gripe about their school closing.
>
> Don't make the jealous rants of "hahahaha you rich
> fuckers got what you deserved" simply because you
> dont have money or a good enough school to be
> districted to. I'm sorry to all the lifeless
> computer zombies, dull and pitifully insignificant
> suburban posters and bloggers who will amount to
> nothing in life... that these "rich white people"
> got somewhere (unlike you) and they deserve to
> bitch about whatever they please.... after all
> guess who pays more in tax money then your sorry
> suburban mediocre asses.... all those "rich white
> people". Next time try leaving your tiny shithole
> of a house, or let's make baby steps... your
> computer.... not go to a fucking joke of a
> school... get some motivated and succeed in life.
> Being a "regular" or a "troll" on
> Fairfaxunderground is nothing to be proud of, it's
> simply something to pity.

Date: July 11, 2010 01:53PM

> The folks in Clifton have only themselves to
> blame. For years they have tried to keep Clifton
> exclusive by zoning large parcels and keeping VRE
> out. Now you have an aging population, housing
> that is too expensive for young families resulting
> in too few kids to justify an Elementary school.
> Good job.

Do you even know what you are talking about??

"For year they have tried to keep Clifton exclusive by zoning large parcels and keeping VRE out."

Clifton residents had nothing to do with the zoning that keeps Clifton from building on anything less than 5 acres. You can thank the Fairfax Co. Zoning Dept. for that when the created the Occoquan Watershed to protect the public water supply.

"Now you have an aging population, housing that is too expensive for young families resulting in too few kids to justify an Elementary school."

Again, clearly you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. Yes, there is an aging population in Clifton, that is true. However, as that "aging population" moves on to retirement homes and prices in Clifton have dropped due to the current housing market, and with rates historically low, more and more young families are moving into Clifton because it is affordable to them now. Myself included in that. And believe me, I am far from wealthy.

Liz Bradsher is done. Clifton does have the voting power to vote Liz out of office next year. There are over 2200 homes in the Clifton Elementary attendance area, and Clifton historically has the highest voter turn out in the entire Springfield district. So while this area may be sparsely populated as one poster mentioned, this sparsely populated area has a ton of voting power.

Date: July 11, 2010 06:26PM

Facts associated with Clifton Elementary closure (for Dane Bramage):

FCPS Staff cited water, costs and enrollment as their key reasons for closing Clifton (only once did safety EVER come up and that was in regard to the driveway access to the school.

The water issue was magically resolved in an email from Dean T. (COO FCPS) to the School Board AFTER the Board Meeting on Thursday had started (post 7:15 PM). Quite interesting that the school system sat on the data until after the meeting had started considering he received the data himself earlier in the day (2:30 PM).

The cost issue was discussed and resolved by the community challenging the need for Johnny and Shameka to have 3 different physical rooms to enjoy strings, band and chorus (in elementary schools) when the teachers of those courses were only at the school 2 out of 5 days during the week and the space could have remained shared. That is just one issue. Did you know that the art classroom was noted as inadequate because the kiln for art was "in a room across the hallway" instead of contained within the art classroom? And no, these requirements were not demanded by the "rich white folk" in Clifton, they were established by FCPS themselves and the people in Clifton said "WE DON'T WANT OR NEED DOLLARS SPENT ON THOSE THINGS." If you can get to FCPS Web site and watch the recording of the meeting from Thursday, you will hear Dr. Raney state that he is now wondering if FCPS does not have a "Gold plated educational specification" when we can no longer afford it. So bottom line here, the Clifton community DID NOT WANT to spend dollars on things that made no sense to have in the first place given the current curriculum at the school.

And to declining enrollment. With the vote on Thursday this one has potentially become a self-fulfilling item as few may move to the Clifton school area until a direction for the students of the school is defined. Yes, right now Clifton has no idea where their children will attend school following this academic year and to add to that, they have no idea WHEN THEY WILL KNOW that information. This could be the last year for classes at the school or it could be 5 years out. Did you know that less than 12 months ago FCPS projected Clifton Elementary to be overcrowded in the 2013-2014 school year and now they are expecting underenrollment by 2015-2016. Someone is cooking the books.

So, water data coming in after the meeting started, expenditures that no one wanted and enrollment figures that few believe were used as a basis to close the school.

The reality is the School Board is in a pissing match with the Board of Supervisors and wanted to show them who was boss by closing Clifton Elementary due to "lack of funding for Capital Improvement Projects". Napoleon Gibson (AKA Stu) whined about Montgomery County's funding level for their school construction projects. Hey Stu, here's a newsflash, most of us don't WANT to live in Maryland because the fricken taxes are through the roof! Oh, and the State of Maryland provides a significant portion of the funds to cover school construction. Virginia provides FCPS with $2 million a year. Yep, that's right $2 million. The remainder ($153 million) comes out of the county coffers.

WAKE UP FAIRFAX AND VIRGINIA!!! OUR SCHOOL BOARD SHOULD BE STRIPPED OF FIDUCIARY RESPONSIBILITY AND HAVE IT HANDED TO THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS. OTHERWISE THIS CRAP IS GOING TO CONTINUE AND MORE COMMUNITIES WILL BE DESTROYED AS A "LESSON" TO THOSE WHO HOLD THE ULTIMATE PURSESTRINGS.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 11, 2010 06:41PM

FairTax Wrote:
> Facts associated with Clifton Elementary closure
> (for Dane Bramage):
>
> FCPS Staff cited water, costs and enrollment as
> their key reasons for closing Clifton (only once
> did safety EVER come up and that was in regard to
> the driveway access to the school.
>
> The water issue was magically resolved in an email
> from Dean T. (COO FCPS) to the School Board AFTER
> the Board Meeting on Thursday had started (post
> 7:15 PM). Quite interesting that the school
> system sat on the data until after the meeting had
> started considering he received the data himself
> earlier in the day (2:30 PM).
>
> The cost issue was discussed and resolved by the
> community challenging the need for Johnny and
> Shameka to have 3 different physical rooms to
> enjoy strings, band and chorus (in elementary
> schools) when the teachers of those courses were
> only at the school 2 out of 5 days during the week
> and the space could have remained shared. That is
> just one issue. Did you know that the art
> classroom was noted as inadequate because the kiln
> for art was "in a room across the hallway" instead
> of contained within the art classroom? And no,
> these requirements were not demanded by the "rich
> white folk" in Clifton, they were established by
> FCPS themselves and the people in Clifton said "WE
> DON'T WANT OR NEED DOLLARS SPENT ON THOSE THINGS."
> If you can get to FCPS Web site and watch the
> recording of the meeting from Thursday, you will
> hear Dr. Raney state that he is now wondering if
> FCPS does not have a "Gold plated educational
> specification" when we can no longer afford it.
> So bottom line here, the Clifton community DID NOT
> WANT to spend dollars on things that made no sense
> to have in the first place given the current
> curriculum at the school.
>
> And to declining enrollment. With the vote on
> Thursday this one has potentially become a
> self-fulfilling item as few may move to the
> Clifton school area until a direction for the
> students of the school is defined. Yes, right now
> Clifton has no idea where their children will
> attend school following this academic year and to
> add to that, they have no idea WHEN THEY WILL KNOW
> that information. This could be the last year for
> classes at the school or it could be 5 years out.
> Did you know that less than 12 months ago FCPS
> projected Clifton Elementary to be overcrowded in
> the 2013-2014 school year and now they are
> expecting underenrollment by 2015-2016. Someone
> is cooking the books.
>
> So, water data coming in after the meeting
> started, expenditures that no one wanted and
> enrollment figures that few believe were used as a
> basis to close the school.
>
> The reality is the School Board is in a pissing
> match with the Board of Supervisors and wanted to
> show them who was boss by closing Clifton
> Elementary due to "lack of funding for Capital
> Improvement Projects". Napoleon Gibson (AKA Stu)
> whined about Montgomery County's funding level for
> their school construction projects. Hey Stu,
> here's a newsflash, most of us don't WANT to live
> in Maryland because the fricken taxes are through
> the roof! Oh, and the State of Maryland provides
> a significant portion of the funds to cover school
> construction. Virginia provides FCPS with $2
> million a year. Yep, that's right $2 million.
> The remainder ($153 million) comes out of the
> county coffers.
>
> WAKE UP FAIRFAX AND VIRGINIA!!! OUR SCHOOL BOARD
> SHOULD BE STRIPPED OF FIDUCIARY RESPONSIBILITY AND
> HAVE IT HANDED TO THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS.
> OTHERWISE THIS CRAP IS GOING TO CONTINUE AND MORE
> COMMUNITIES WILL BE DESTROYED AS A "LESSON" TO
> THOSE WHO HOLD THE ULTIMATE PURSESTRINGS.

Fire sprinklers, dumbass. The school is unsafe.

Posted by: ugh, again? ()
Date: July 11, 2010 07:56PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:

>
> Fire sprinklers, dumbass. The school is unsafe.

Again, I ask, is Clifton Elementary the ONLY school in FCPS without fire sprinklers? If not, are they planning to close those schools also? They are clearly "unsafe".

Clifton Elementary was perfectly safe until the School Board ran out of other excuses to close the school. When the lack of a fire sprinkler system was too lame as an excuse by itself, the School Board had to fabricate a "declining enrollment".

This whole thing with Clifton has been manipulated by the School Board from the beginning.

Besides KeepOnTruckin, as an employee of the FCPS School Board, I fully expect you to take their side.

Posted by: dell ave ()
Date: July 11, 2010 08:33PM

taxpayer47 Wrote:
> OMGisRIGHT Wrote:
> -----
> > BTW, it is our understanding that the building
> of
> > the new school is now off the table. It seems
> > like common sense to ask, though, since they
> have
> > now decided to close Clifton Elementary and
> there
> > is crowding by 29 and there are no other
> > properties owned by FCPS, where do you think
> they
> > are going to eventually build? Hmmm......
>
>
> Did you guys see the little kids on the news
> tonight?? Its one thing to be a snobby racist
> yourself but quite another to whore your kids out
> on the television news. I know these Clifton
> bitches will burn in hell forever.

I dont think that they should burn in hell but the closure of the school will benefit these kids in the long run. The next generation will learn that wealth does not mean shit. Some of these poor kids may be too far gone already but most of them will benefit. The crybayby parents deserve to be able to voice their opinions but the school must be closed. I am glad that FFXU brought this situation to my attention. The school MUST be closed.

Date: July 11, 2010 08:49PM

FairTax Wrote:
>

Any sense of your facts being true were lost by the rant above.

Here is the way most of the county sees it.

Clifton ES is old and in need of costly repairs. The integrity of it's wells are questionable.

Other schools in proximity to Clifton are overcrowded, and action needs to be taken to alleviate the overflow.

The most cost effective solution for the long term is to close Clifton and build a new school and consolidate Clifton students with the overflow students.

Clifton residents don't want this. People are resistant to change, there is a sense of entitlement, and they rail against the closure with emotional arguments using words like 'rip the heart out', 'destroyed community' and calling the school board member a witch, a bitch, and other names that show their immaturity.

Y'all may not agree with the vast majority of FFX County residents, but that is how we see it.

Perhaps it is time for Clifton to secede from the county, or for parents to consider private or home school options.

Posted by: GoingDownhillAnyway ()
Date: July 11, 2010 10:49PM

FairTax Wrote:
> Facts associated with Clifton Elementary closure
> (for Dane Bramage):
>
> FCPS Staff cited water, costs and enrollment as
> their key reasons for closing Clifton (only once
> did safety EVER come up and that was in regard to
> the driveway access to the school.
>
> The water issue was magically resolved in an email
> from Dean T. (COO FCPS) to the School Board AFTER
> the Board Meeting on Thursday had started (post
> 7:15 PM). Quite interesting that the school
> system sat on the data until after the meeting had
> started considering he received the data himself
> earlier in the day (2:30 PM).
>
> The cost issue was discussed and resolved by the
> community challenging the need for Johnny and
> Shameka to have 3 different physical rooms to
> enjoy strings, band and chorus (in elementary
> schools) when the teachers of those courses were
> only at the school 2 out of 5 days during the week
> and the space could have remained shared. That is
> just one issue. Did you know that the art
> classroom was noted as inadequate because the kiln
> for art was "in a room across the hallway" instead
> of contained within the art classroom? And no,
> these requirements were not demanded by the "rich
> white folk" in Clifton, they were established by
> FCPS themselves and the people in Clifton said "WE
> DON'T WANT OR NEED DOLLARS SPENT ON THOSE THINGS."
> If you can get to FCPS Web site and watch the
> recording of the meeting from Thursday, you will
> hear Dr. Raney state that he is now wondering if
> FCPS does not have a "Gold plated educational
> specification" when we can no longer afford it.
> So bottom line here, the Clifton community DID NOT
> WANT to spend dollars on things that made no sense
> to have in the first place given the current
> curriculum at the school.
>
> And to declining enrollment. With the vote on
> Thursday this one has potentially become a
> self-fulfilling item as few may move to the
> Clifton school area until a direction for the
> students of the school is defined. Yes, right now
> Clifton has no idea where their children will
> attend school following this academic year and to
> add to that, they have no idea WHEN THEY WILL KNOW
> that information. This could be the last year for
> classes at the school or it could be 5 years out.
> Did you know that less than 12 months ago FCPS
> projected Clifton Elementary to be overcrowded in
> the 2013-2014 school year and now they are
> expecting underenrollment by 2015-2016. Someone
> is cooking the books.
>
> So, water data coming in after the meeting
> started, expenditures that no one wanted and
> enrollment figures that few believe were used as a
> basis to close the school.
>
> The reality is the School Board is in a pissing
> match with the Board of Supervisors and wanted to
> show them who was boss by closing Clifton
> Elementary due to "lack of funding for Capital
> Improvement Projects". Napoleon Gibson (AKA Stu)
> whined about Montgomery County's funding level for
> their school construction projects. Hey Stu,
> here's a newsflash, most of us don't WANT to live
> in Maryland because the fricken taxes are through
> the roof! Oh, and the State of Maryland provides
> a significant portion of the funds to cover school
> construction. Virginia provides FCPS with $2
> million a year. Yep, that's right $2 million.
> The remainder ($153 million) comes out of the
> county coffers.
>

Fairfax is waking up. Good teachers are starting to leave the County. The hard working taxpayers that came here for education are also trying to split because they can see the direction the School Board is going in and can't stand afford to have their taxes hiked up anymore. Eventually this will just be a big sinkhole for people like Taxpayer47 and Dane Bramage to wallow in.

Posted by: AverageParent ()
Date: July 11, 2010 11:58PM

If you are after some specialty like foreign immersion or you want focus on ESOL, than Fairfax is the place to be. For the average parent that just wanted their kids to have a good education, Fairfax is no longer the place to be. It has really changed in the last 20 years. Everything is being dummied down, short-changed or stripped away just to be able to pay for the other programs.

Posted by: NoToLiz ()
Date: July 12, 2010 01:26AM

Thomas More Wrote:
> Will Liz get the Republican endorsement next year?

Apparently she has ticked off a lot of Republicans, even outside of Clifton, just because she turned against her own campaign slogan regarding Community Schools when she voted to close Clifton. Shame on Liz!

http://www.novacommonsense.com/2010/07/10/liz-bradsher-in-her-own-words-there-is-no-substitute-in-this-county-for-a-community-school/

There are a lot of Dems in Clifton. They probably aren't going to want her either.

Date: July 12, 2010 05:43AM

doncha just throw up at his 'no hate' button? stu - look up 'irony' - it's not how your shirt feels fresh from the drycleaners, you stuffed shirt.
Attachments:
SGEVIL.jpg

Date: July 12, 2010 07:08AM

GoingDownhillAnyway Wrote:
> The hard working taxpayers
> that came here for education are also trying to
> split

lol, where they going, Prince William County?

People may be in a FFX location for schools, but they are in the DC metro area for jobs.

I suppose Loudoun or Montgomery county are possibilities...

Date: July 12, 2010 09:30AM

wtf Wrote:

>
>
> Do you even know what you are talking about??
>
> "For year they have tried to keep Clifton
> exclusive by zoning large parcels and keeping VRE
> out."
>
> Clifton residents had nothing to do with the
> zoning that keeps Clifton from building on
> anything less than 5 acres. You can thank the
> Fairfax Co. Zoning Dept. for that when the created
> the Occoquan Watershed to protect the public water
> supply.
>

Zoning is approved through the Town Council in Clifton. Yes, it needs to comply with the Chesapeake Watershed, but so does ALL development in Fairfax County. You don't see five acre parcels all over Burke. The fact is Clifton could have more density if they wanted to. They don't want to. I have no problem with that, but if the town chooses that path, they have nothing to bitch about when it comes to closing elementary schools.

> "Now you have an aging population, housing that is
> too expensive for young families resulting in too
> few kids to justify an Elementary school."
>
> Again, clearly you don't have a clue as to what
> you are talking about. Yes, there is an aging
> population in Clifton, that is true. However, as
> that "aging population" moves on to retirement
> homes and prices in Clifton have dropped due to
> the current housing market, and with rates
> historically low, more and more young families are
> moving into Clifton because it is affordable to
> them now. Myself included in that. And believe
> me, I am far from wealthy.
>

Take a look around Clifton! You have a bunch of people in their 40s, 50s and 60s who aren't going anywhere soon who do not have elementary school-aged kids.

> Liz Bradsher is done. Clifton does have the voting
> power to vote Liz out of office next year. There
> are over 2200 homes in the Clifton Elementary
> attendance area, and Clifton historically has the
> highest voter turn out in the entire Springfield
> district. So while this area may be sparsely
> populated as one poster mentioned, this sparsely
> populated area has a ton of voting power.

You can make this gal the villain, but obviously a lot of people support this move or it wouldn't have happened. Besides, do you want your kids going to school in an unsafe building? God forbid they should have to take a school bus.

Posted by: CliftonResident ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:36AM

The Clifton town council has absolutely zero say about the 5 acre zoning requirements. The town council regulates only the town itself, which is about 1/2 mile square. All of the five acre lots sit outside of town and are controlled by Fairfax County. And it's not the Chesapeake Watershed that is the issue, but the Occoquan Watershed.

> Zoning is approved through the Town Council in
> Clifton. Yes, it needs to comply with the
> Chesapeake Watershed, but so does ALL development
> in Fairfax County. You don't see five acre parcels
> all over Burke. The fact is Clifton could have
> more density if they wanted to. They don't want
> to. I have no problem with that, but if the town
> chooses that path, they have nothing to bitch
> about when it comes to closing elementary
> schools.

Date: July 12, 2010 09:43AM

1) Fairfax County down-zoned the area in/near Clifton, not the Town of Clifton. The Town of Clifton has to live by the County regulations too. Get your facts straight as the down-zoned area covers parts of Fairfax Station and Fairfax as well. Oh, and Ms. Bradsher sits on the Occoquan Watershed Coalition, one would think she would understand why that area of Fairfax is zoned the way it is.

2) The latest proposal from FCPS has no mention of building a new school at Liberty, which at this point the folks from Clifton likely would come out in some level of support for given the alternative of scattering students to up to 5 area schools. FCPS has NEVER closed a school at scattered students to 5 other facilities. They typically move the entire student population to another facility (either new or expanded).

3) Hone, Evans, Moon and Raney were the only ones to vote to delay any action until all the data was in. Smith tried to shut each of them up as they spoke at the meeting against going forward with the closure vote. Smith did nothing to clam up Stu Gibson and his blithering stupidity. The gang of 4 (Gibson, Smith, Wilson and Bradsher) are Jack Dale and FCPS Staff's best buds.

4) Someone please tell me how the education of these students from Clifton or any of the surrounding areas is going to improve based on this decision? Bradsher never sold anyone on what the added value was to closing this school for the students that attend the school. And that is what this is about, the education of students.

5) Clifton Elementary families DID NOT and WERE NOT asking for funds to be spent on renovating the school to the "Gold standard" that FCPS had established.

Again, wake up and smell the crap pile folks. Corrupt and bullying government is alive and well in Fairfax County.

Posted by: Senior ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:52AM

> wtf Wrote:
> -----

> Take a look around Clifton! You have a bunch of
> people in their 40s, 50s and 60s who aren't going
> anywhere soon who do not have elementary
> school-aged kids.
>

This is not true. Seniors no longer want to pay the ever increasing property taxes and are starting to move away to other areas. They don't care about the strength of the job market here eiher. With 54% of the taxes going to the school, there is no reason to be here.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: July 12, 2010 10:08AM

Dane Bramage Wrote:
> Clifton ES is old and in need of costly repairs.
> The integrity of it's wells are questionable.
>
> Other schools in proximity to Clifton are
> overcrowded, and action needs to be taken to
> alleviate the overflow.
>
> The most cost effective solution for the long term
> is to close Clifton and build a new school and
> consolidate Clifton students with the overflow
> students.
>
> Clifton residents don't want this. People are
> resistant to change, there is a sense of
> entitlement,

Luckily the proper decision for the county was made. If those in Clifton REALLY feel they need that school then offer to buy the property from the county and open a charter school. Otherwise STFU you entitlement bastards. You are as bad as podunk towns with the highest-paid person being the underutilized postal service boss at the post office that services three people a day. Gotta close those too, sorry.

Posted by: NoToLiz ()
Date: July 12, 2010 10:14AM

NoToLiz Wrote:
> Thomas More Wrote:
> -----
> > Will Liz get the Republican endorsement next
> year?
>
>
> Apparently she has ticked off a lot of
> Republicans, even outside of Clifton, just because
> she turned against her own campaign slogan
> regarding Community Schools when she voted to
> close Clifton. Shame on Liz!
>
> http://www.novacommonsense.com/2010/07/10/liz-brad
> sher-in-her-own-words-there-is-no-substitute-in-th
> is-county-for-a-community-school/
>
> There are a lot of Dems in Clifton. They probably
> aren't going to want her either.

Another interesting site to look at:
http://rednova8.com/wordpress/?p=2505

Here is just one of SEVERAL things it says:

"In an interview, Bradsher stated that one of her reasons for her vote was “…it was quite expensive to renovate…”. Okay, understandable, right? Wrong. Liz Bradsher has voted for every major funding increase in recent memory and at the last meeting voted to pilfer the Virginia Retirement Systems reserve funding by millions to fund some untested new pilot program for Jack Dale".

Date: July 12, 2010 12:25PM

GoingDownHillAnyway:
No point to verbal slapfight Liz, aka Taxpayer47 and Dane Bramage (or should we wave hi, Ms. Casie Eatman?)...

WashingTone-Locian:
> "do you want your kids going to school in an unsafe building? God forbid they should have to take a school bus."

You are possibly the most uneducated poster here - and your wife acts so smart...can't you act too? How are they getting to school now, you mook?

> "needs to comply with the Chesapeake Watershed, but so does ALL development in Fairfax County. You don't see five acre parcels all over Burke. The fact is Clifton could have more density if they wanted to. They don't want to. I have no problem with that, but if the town chooses that path, they have nothing to bitch about when "

Yeah - it's the town that just decided to move itself to the Chesapeake Watershed and have 5+ acres - again, you mook, it's the Occoquan Reservoir Watershed. Maybe you need to go to a big box school in FC and get yourself some edumacation - FC sets zoning laws, mook mook mook. And, you're welcome for the water you drink, cook, wash +++ with for the rest of your life.

Date: July 12, 2010 12:40PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:

>
> Fire sprinklers, dumbass. The school is unsafe.

I guess they shouldn't send their kids to school this coming year!
Sounds like the parents in Clifton have a lawsuit! If the School Board says it isn't safe for the kids to go there...and they are 'so committed' to a safe environment, why is the Kathy Smith 'negligence squad' intentionally operating an unsafe school??

COOL! Thanks, Mr. KeepON Truckin aka FCPS employee!!!
Attachments:
FireMarshallBill.jpg

Date: July 12, 2010 01:09PM

I'm tired of hearing that Clifton residents have a "sense of entitlement" with nothing to back up that phrase. They do not want their local ES closed and the kids split up and sent to other schools in the area. What is "entitled" about this? Also, Dane Bramage, you cite census statistics as some kind of "proof" that Clifton residents are racist. So you're implying that white people are all racist since the majority of the population in Clifton is white?

Another poster said that the children would benefit from going to the other schools...OK, how?

Date: July 12, 2010 01:12PM

Evil is as Evil does...FC parents beware - they terrorized the parents over in Clifton and they are coming for our kids next! Boundary 'study' is coming this Sept to your neighborhood - and if you think it isn't already predestined what they are going to do to us...wrong wrong wrong!
Attachments:
School Board image.jpg

Date: July 12, 2010 02:26PM

sayWHAT? - Thanks for the hilarious group shot - tee hee.

I smell a new blogsite!
Guess there is no chance of FCPS using this to update their website?

Posted by: MollyCorbin ()
Date: July 12, 2010 03:59PM

hey - screen time for the good too - hope what we hear isn't true (she's done with all the crazies) - hope she hangs in, because she is definitely going to get some better compatriots!
Attachments:
THangel.jpg

Posted by: no angel ()
Date: July 12, 2010 05:21PM

Hone is no angel. From what I have read, it seems she has a huge problem with TJHSST's existence and would love to see it dissolved.

Everyone on the FCPS has their favorite issues, it seems. When will the SLEEP proposal come up again under Evans?

Storck has permitted parents at Waynewood Elem. to run that school. One teacher's aide had a tantrum when a kindergarten student cut out the wrong part of the paper. Told the little kid: "Well, look what you did! You RUINED it!" This woman also belittled my daughter for the clothes she wore to school (knit capris from Target on a third grader). A very disturbing environment.

Posted by: no new school ()
Date: July 12, 2010 06:04PM

good thing they are now saying they won't build a new school next to Liberty Middle School, or the residents around Union Mill Rd. and Compton Rd. will likely sue the school board.

http://www.asbestos-news.org/

Date: July 12, 2010 06:28PM

k Wrote:
> I'm tired of hearing that Clifton residents have a
> "sense of entitlement"

Then don't read this thread!

Actually, I am done trying to talk sense with you children, and will leave you to play with your crappy Photoshop pictures.

Have fun.

Date: July 12, 2010 06:54PM

Dane Bramage Wrote:
> k Wrote:
> -----
> > I'm tired of hearing that Clifton residents have
> a
> > "sense of entitlement"
>
> Then don't read this thread!
>
> Actually, I am done trying to talk sense with you
> children, and will leave you to play with your
> crappy Photoshop pictures.
>
> Have fun.

+1

If you don't want to be seen as having a "sense of entitlement," quit acting like you do.

Date: July 12, 2010 06:59PM

> Dane Bramage Wrote:
> -----
> > k Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I'm tired of hearing that Clifton residents
> have
> > a
> > > "sense of entitlement"
> >
> > Then don't read this thread!
> >
> > Actually, I am done trying to talk sense with
> you
> > children, and will leave you to play with your
> > crappy Photoshop pictures.
> >
> > Have fun.
>
>
> +1
>
> If you don't want to be seen as having a "sense of
> entitlement," quit acting like you do.

Typical. You say bullshit you can't back up, or you're just plain WRONG (i.e. zoning, watershed, etc.) and then you come back with "then don't read this thread". Very good. You've proven my point. Neither of you has anything other than your opinion. The same as everyone else. You just think yours is "right".

I'd like to know what I have done to act as if I have a "sense of entitlement", but I know you won't give a real answer. Because you don't have anything besides the same pablum you are continually spitting out.

Date: July 12, 2010 07:14PM

k Wrote:

>
> I'd like to know what I have done to act as if I
> have a "sense of entitlement", but I know you
> won't give a real answer. Because you don't have
> anything besides the same pablum you are
> continually spitting out.

Maybe that you think you are above everyone else in the county? This isn't the first time a school has been closed or a district changed. Do you think the elected officials enjoyed doing this? Or that they did it for shits and giggles? They did this to save taxpayer dollars. When government cuts spending, someone has to lose. I commend them for having the courage of doing it instead of sticking with the status quo and letting the budget get out of hand. Did anyone at these meetings go up to the elected officials and offer to pay more property taxes to keep the school open?

Date: July 12, 2010 07:28PM

>
>
> Maybe that you think you are above everyone else
> in the county? This isn't the first time a school
> has been closed or a district changed. Do you
> think the elected officials enjoyed doing this? Or
> that they did it for shits and giggles? They did
> this to save taxpayer dollars. When government
> cuts spending, someone has to lose. I commend them
> for having the courage of doing it instead of
> sticking with the status quo and letting the
> budget get out of hand. Did anyone at these
> meetings go up to the elected officials and offer
> to pay more property taxes to keep the school
> open?

WTL, you continue to show your ignorance on this subject. Closing Clifton is NOT going to save taxpayers any money. Do some research on the subject, other than the spin that the School Board has put on this topic, and then maybe you can form an intelligent argument.

It's sad really, the level of trust you have in the School Board. Not to mention scary as hell. It's people like you that make me glad that I do make an effort to informed, with the truth, and then I make sure to vote.

Posted by: CliftonResident ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:05PM

WTL should look up what the average Clifton resident pays in property tax compared with the rest of Fairfax County.

wtf Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> >
> > Maybe that you think you are above everyone
> else
> > in the county? This isn't the first time a
> school
> > has been closed or a district changed. Do you
> > think the elected officials enjoyed doing this?
> Or
> > that they did it for shits and giggles? They
> did
> > this to save taxpayer dollars. When government
> > cuts spending, someone has to lose. I commend
> them
> > for having the courage of doing it instead of
> > sticking with the status quo and letting the
> > budget get out of hand. Did anyone at these
> > meetings go up to the elected officials and
> offer
> > to pay more property taxes to keep the school
> > open?
>
>
>
> WTL, you continue to show your ignorance on this
> subject. Closing Clifton is NOT going to save
> taxpayers any money. Do some research on the
> subject, other than the spin that the School Board
> has put on this topic, and then maybe you can form
> an intelligent argument.
>
> It's sad really, the level of trust you have in
> the School Board. Not to mention scary as hell.
> It's people like you that make me glad that I do
> make an effort to informed, with the truth, and
> then I make sure to vote.

Posted by: Safe ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:24PM

SayWHAT?! Wrote:
> KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
>
> >
> > Fire sprinklers, dumbass. The school is unsafe.
>
>
What about the others schools that don't have fire sprinklers? Aren't they unsafe?

Posted by: Hahaha ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:35PM

See guys, this is why you don't buy your houswife a computer. They just go on, and bitch that a fucking tiny ass school is closing. Instead of bitching, do what Manassas Park did. Now, you should get off the computer and bake a cake.

Date: July 12, 2010 09:53PM

Safe Wrote:
> SayWHAT?! Wrote:
> -----
> > KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > Fire sprinklers, dumbass. The school is
> unsafe.
> >
> >
> What about the others schools that don't have fire
> sprinklers? Aren't they unsafe?

According to this article, in 2000 HALF the schools in Fairfax County did not have sprinklers. But county school officials stressed that "even schools without sprinklers fully meet fire codes and regulations and are safe for students."

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-67631375.html

Date: July 12, 2010 10:03PM

Read this article too:

"School board members and school system staff had for months underscored Clifton Elementary's contaminated well water as the primary justification for closing the school." ...

"Both of those statements now appear to have been misleading."

"Dean Tistadt, facilities chief for Fairfax's public schools, e-mailed new water test results to the school board just minutes before its members voted 9-2 to close Clifton. Those tests showed Clifton's water was safe, but the e-mail came too late to change the school board's vote."

"At-large school board member Martina Hone questioned the timing of Tistadt's e-mail. "I believe [FCPS] staff knew the water was not contaminated before 7:40 [Thursday] night,"

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Parents_-officials-_appalled_-at-decision-to-close-Clifton-school-98135544.html

Date: July 12, 2010 10:23PM

> Maybe that you think you are above everyone else
> in the county? This isn't the first time a school
> has been closed or a district changed. Do you
> think the elected officials enjoyed doing this? Or
> that they did it for shits and giggles?

These whiners need to be quiet. It could be worse. A lot worse. My cousin lives in the Gainesville area and his neighborhood switched elementary schools 4 times, until finally settling down 3 years ago. But they're on the block for moving AGAIN in the '11-'12 school year. They've switched middle schools 3 times and next year they'll switch high schools for the 3rd time as well.

Pages: 1234567AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 7

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.