HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 27
Re: Highschool Football 2013
Posted by: Interesting ()
Date: November 23, 2013 05:33PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Coach, Interesting, CVille Student, others
> what did you think of the game last night (CVille
> vs SOCO). Were you there, interested to hear your
> thoughts if so?

I was there and hats off to South County. They really outplayed Cville for a large portion of the game. Yes, the refs made some horrible calls, but that doesn't change the fact that SoCo controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball in the 1st half. SoCos fast paced offense kept Cville's defense on their heels. I would love to see the time of possession in the 1st half. Cville only had 13 offensive plays compared to SoCo 65ish offensive plays. If SoCo game plan was to keep Cville's high powered offense off the field, they did that well, successfully converting on-side kicks, fake punts, and sustaining long drives (one was 99.5 yards!)

Down 21-0, Scotty Walters deserves a game ball for throwing 2 TDs in 4 plays with about 3 minutes remaining in the 1st half, and then running a 30 yard TD in the 1st drive of the 2nd half to tie the score 21-21. After being mostly shutdown in the 1st half, Turner and Boose had tremendous 2nd half outings.

With Cville up by 7 in the 4th Q, Cville gave SoCo a taste of their own medicine when they converted a fake punt from the 50ish yard line on 4th and 7. Boose rumbled for about 20 yards and that play put the nail in the coffin. It only took AJ Turner 1 additional run to put the ball in the end zone.

As you said, it was definitely a wake-up call for Cville, but I think they are up the the challenge.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Centreville fan ()
Date: November 23, 2013 05:41PM

Please don't bring the refs into it. Centreville had 24 penalties called on the vs how many on south county. South county was a test and only a test. After their excitement died down. They were out played 55-14. South county had the game at 21-0. There is no reason to let a team score 14 points with less the 3 mins in a half. The momentum changed then. No disrespect to south county players and coaches, I thought they played on hell of a game. But still at the end of the day, centreville won by 20, and showed their dominance once again. That doesn't happen by accident in d6 playoffs. This could have been the worse thing that could happen to the remaining teams left. Centreville is battle tested, and will most likely not come out flat again and overlook teams.

Posted by: hsfballfan ()
Date: November 23, 2013 05:45PM

Hey Steve K2 no disrespect. A number of us just have found a bit of community together on this site over the last few weeks and so I thought it would be fun to recognize that....of course who am I to say over the longer haul....if there has been consistent, well reasoned posters over the longer term including yourself that is great and hope you will accept our relatively new conversations.

The thing that has just kept us interested I think is interesting and fun analysis based talk not just "my team is better than your team." We try to back up our statements...

Here is to an even bigger community of hs football lovers!

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: November 23, 2013 05:54PM

Centreville fan Wrote:
> Centreville
> had 24 penalties called on the vs how many on
> south county.

WP has it:
South County: 10-55
Centreville: 14-125

Interesting stats. SC had 23 first downs and over 500 yards vs. Centreville 16 first downs and over 400 yards. South County had 5 turnovers? I wasn't at the game but -5 in the turnover category would seem to be the key to the game right there.

Posted by: Centreville fan ()
Date: November 23, 2013 06:07PM

Absolutely right newgate. Centrevilles defense got several key turnovers in the second half. One qb strip, fumbled pitch on an option, and and int to seal the game.

Posted by: EasternVaFan ()
Date: November 23, 2013 06:08PM

You have good FB up here, period.
Fairfax County D6 teams have arguably been VA’s best over time.
A few of those teams standout, e.g., that Westfield team with Glennon (sp?).
Your D5 have been good, too, dominated by SB.
But in 2011-2012 SoCo and Yorktown were good, too; the 2012 NR final SB-Yorktown was fun to watch.
Here’s a somewhat contentious point but I’ll make it anyway.
Having seen BW play once in 2012, that team would have done well in D5.
And those SB teams would have done well in D6 most years.
They probably wouldn't have made it to UVA, but only 2 teaam do in class.
Sure, BW was beating much smaller schools in winning its titles.
But I know FB well enough to know a good team when I see one.
I'm not saying BW could beat C'ville, LB or Westfield, though.

These are just my opinions.

Date: November 23, 2013 06:10PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> Hey Steve K2 no disrespect. A number of us just
> have found a bit of community together on this
> site over the last few weeks and so I thought it
> would be fun to recognize that....of course who am
> I to say over the longer haul....if there has been
> consistent, well reasoned posters over the longer
> term including yourself that is great and hope you
> will accept our relatively new conversations.
>
> The thing that has just kept us interested I think
> is interesting and fun analysis based talk not
> just "my team is better than your team." We try
> to back up our statements...
>
> Here is to an even bigger community of hs football
> lovers!
----------------
Totally agree--and Steve K2 has amazed me with his spreads.

Posted by: RootBoy ()
Date: November 23, 2013 06:23PM

Centreville fan Wrote:
> Props to south county for throwing several
> haymakers to go up 21-0 at centreville. But let's
> talk facts, south county's up tempo offense was
> impressive. Centreville was extremely flat to
> start the game (probably because they haven't
> faced a true test this year like south county).
> South county was able to run the football and keep
> centrevilles high powered offense off the field.
> That being said, south county had several 4th
> down conversions that most people would have
> punted on(I understand it worked, so props to
> them). They needed a fake punt, two onside kicks
> the centreville had there hands on, and a fake
> field goal for a touchdown. Once centreville was
> able to get their offense on the field south
> county luck ran out. Centreville proceeded to
> emphatically score 55 points (with 3 touchdowns
> called back). South county had zero answer, and
> learned why centreville one of the two best teams
> in this area. AJ turner is the best football
> player this area has seen in a long time. He
> completely dominated the game. Their defense
> started to settle down and read the option offense
> better. Long story short, south county pull off
> several trick/lucky plays the most teams wouldn't
> try. They were not able to keep up the trickery
> and Ucentreville proved why they are so unique and
> dominate. Good luck to both teams in the future.

Wrong. So why couldn't stop the on sides kicks and fake punts? First three scores by SoCo they drove right down the field. No trick plays. So they go for it on 4th down. So what. They want to keep the ball and score. Centreville could not stop them. SoCo had 21-0 on the scoreboard before CV even got a first down. First three possessions by CV were three and out. Most of the game they moved the ball at will. One of their later drives they went 99 yards from their 1 yard line and drove down the field to score. It was smash-mouth football at its best. Their QB rushed for 194 yards and on a couple plays manhandled Chad Wiggins with a stiff arm and made others look silly. SoCo put up 35 points on the vaunted, dominant Centreville defense, which was supposed to be so scary SoCo should just lay down and quit. CV defense got exposed. We knew that the SoCo defense was likely to give up some big plays, but their early stops were impressive. The difference in the game was the SoCo turnovers. Without those they probably win it. Especially if they had gone in to score and go up 14 after the recovered kickoff fumble by CV. Turns out CV gets it right back with a SC fumble and they go down and tie the game, which changed all the momentum. But hand it to CV. They did what they had to do and earned the win handily.

Posted by: Novafbfan ()
Date: November 23, 2013 06:39PM

Couldn't agree more with you Rootboy

Date: November 23, 2013 06:44PM

We see it over and over in sports - if you want to win big games your star players need to play like stars. After the admittedly horrible start, Walter, Wiggins, Boose, and especially AJ Turner played like stars. Hope they keep it up....

Posted by: Very suspect ()
Date: November 23, 2013 06:44PM

It's crazy how adults who aren't even football coaches obsess over HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. It's almost scary. Y'all need to re-evaluate your lives. I mean high school football is interesting but y'all OBSESS over it.

Date: November 23, 2013 06:46PM

Interesting perspective RootBoy but do not be surprised if CVille turns around and holds SJackson to 14 points. This was indeed a wake up call and they will make adjustments.

Date: November 23, 2013 06:48PM

Actually I am a 13 year whiz kid who finds school boring so do film study and my other football obsessing in my free time. Nice to meet ya....

Seriously, this is better than obsessing over some of the things that other people obsess over (power, alcohol, money, etc.)

Date: November 23, 2013 06:51PM

And Very-Suspect is your own obsession coming on to sites like this to see how much other people obsess about other topics (smile)

Posted by: just shut up ()
Date: November 23, 2013 06:58PM

hsfballfan, being the "great" reporter on this site that you are, you should know that your biased analysis skews what actually happened in the game and gives people the wrong impression. have some integrity and quit bullshitting other people that want to know what actually happened

Posted by: Sc football player ()
Date: November 23, 2013 06:58PM

The reason we lost was when we recovered the onside kick and fumbled the first play

Date: November 23, 2013 07:11PM

Hey "Just Shut Up" please explain how I have biased any reporting. Would be happy to hear from an expert such as yourself, especially with that very descriptive name. I know I talk too much, I know I am a blowhard, heck I know I am a homer, but definitely not biased (and quite frankly if you look across posts the last few weeks I will compare my breadth (D6, D5, North/South, individual players, individual games, etc.) and depth of posts with just about anyone.....

And by the way, although I do not have to do this I will submit that my trying to help moderate some of the discussions on this site has made it more informative and wide ranging for everyone. This is not nearly saying I have all the answers, of course I do not. In fact I just about had to call myself a dumbshit in front of everyone the way the CVille was going the first half. However, before when I have come on this site perhaps there were good individual posts (sounds for instance like Steve K2 has been a prominent poster) but that was just it - a bunch or unrelated posts with no feel of community.

If others want me to shut up, sound off but I have no plans to do such as this point based on your concern. Free country dude.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: November 23, 2013 07:13PM

I think most of the GOOD teams in the northern region can hold stonewall jackson to 14

Date: November 23, 2013 07:15PM

And by the way maybe you and Root Boy can start your own site (however sneaking suspicion you might be same person)

Posted by: Just my opinion ()
Date: November 23, 2013 07:18PM

Lb
CVille
Soco
Westfield
Robinson
Stonewall
Langley
Yorktown

Posted by: "just shut up" ()
Date: November 23, 2013 07:19PM

you have even admitted you are a cville fan and proceeded to write questionable analysis/prediction on their games. for example, bitching about the refereeing (which is a poor excuse often times) I think most people on this forum would say you are a biased opinion….except for maybe cvillefan, cat dad, and cvillestudent of course. Sorry if my original post came off as insulting

Posted by: just shut up ()
Date: November 23, 2013 07:20PM

"Free Country Dude"

Posted by: Viking ()
Date: November 23, 2013 07:21PM

Just some comments.

Thorough analysis RootBoy, but believe your conclusion is wrong. The turnovers were inevitable, given the SOCO QB's tendency to fumble the pitch and his loose handling of the ball as seen in many previous games. Once he figures out how to pitch (in particular to his left) and secure the ball when he is in traffic, he will be a good, but not great, QB. (Would help if he got some coaching on his throwing as well.)

To me the key difference between the two teams came down to conditioning and depth. C'Ville had both and SOCO didn't. This was even early into the 4th quarter, but the SOCO players were simply gassed. Many were playing both ways, and the O-Line in particular looked dead on their feet at the end. They gave it a great, nearly herculean, effort, but C’Ville just had to much in the end.

Neutral_fan,

Saw your post earlier on the "holding" by the C'Ville TE during the fake punt. Recommend you review the films. I've seen it a dozen times. #11 was the TE and he blocked down on the DT, not the DE. The DE was kicked out by a pulling tackle. No holding at all from any of the two angles I've seen. And none of the refs visible in any frame have their hands anywhere near their flags.

Officiating was probably the worst I’ve seen in many years, but frankly this year has been the worst overall. Understand the crew was being evaluated yesterday. Most, particularly #104 (who, while 15yds away, was looking at a trapped ball ‘reception’ and couldn’t see the ball on the ground with the receivers hands on top them) should be canned.

I've seen the interception called back due to the "phantom holding" call. When viewing the various angles, the C'ville DBs were playing off the receivers (another post on that later) by at least 2-3 yards. Unless they had 6-9 foot arms they couldn’t have held anything, because they were to far off.

Lots of cheap shots by SOCO and a few by C’Ville. To bad. If they want to be thugs they should go to basketball. There’s no honor in that in football. But at least no one on the field was as dirty as McManus from Washington-Lee. Now that kid is a punk.

Enough for now.

Date: November 23, 2013 07:24PM

No insult taken and I will talk on. If you look at the posts I refrained from excusing the CVille start on refereeing (although did concur with many other posters later who brought up a number of suspicious calls), was the first to hand it to SOCO for their great early game plan, have talked and provided info on many other topics, and strongly believe that this past weekend was an aberration - heck CVille still won by 20 points even given all of the craziness in the first half.

What is your opinion on anything in addition to disliking me? I am game to talk about just about anything....

Posted by: nordic ()
Date: November 23, 2013 07:27PM

Viking, I think some errant pitches and turnovers are inevitable and are "given" with the type of offense SOCO runs. There is something called "pitch-relationship" which is between the rb and qb and it looked like they just weren't on the same page often times.

Posted by: "just shut up" ()
Date: November 23, 2013 07:29PM

was only commenting on a few of your posts that I read hsfballfan, don't sweat it I love you

Date: November 23, 2013 07:33PM

no sweat "just shut up" - I love myself too (smile)

one of these days you and others are going to really "get me" and why I do the things that I do....you can think I am a dick but cannot say I am not at least interesting....and have a few well thought out posts here and there..

GO WILDCATS GO ALL THE WAY TO STATES!!!!

I WILL PREACH ON!!!!!

Date: November 23, 2013 07:36PM

And by the way faithful listeners where in the heck is "Coach" - think he has provided real top notch analysis the last few weeks. Coach we miss ya buddy and what you thought about CVille SOCO last night.

Come back to us, come back to us....

Posted by: joe schmo-ronovich ()
Date: November 23, 2013 07:42PM

Hey "Just Shut Up" cool it and leave HSFBALFAN alone I think this posting place has been better with him than before!

Date: November 23, 2013 07:43PM

Well thank you Joe but I am a big boy, can handle it. Think Just Shut Up and I understand each other well enough.

Date: November 23, 2013 07:45PM

And by the way that is hsfballfan not hsfbalfan....big difference (smile)

Date: November 23, 2013 07:46PM

OK. Now I can’t stop.

Nordic,

Absolutely concur. The triple takes immense concentration and practice to do it well. That’s why teams that specialize in it tend to be one dimensional, as they don’t have the time to work other options (pun intended). The amount of time and practice necessary to get the pitch right during games is far greater than between a QB and his receivers.

On another point. Not sure why C’Ville had their DEs crashing down on the dive aspect of the triple option. Makes no sense to me. I played the triple, and coached against it. Our first rule of thumb was in the 4-3, the DE, or in the 3-5, the OLB take the QB. The DT, in the 4-3, hits the guard, shucks and goes for the FB. (In the 3-5, the NG does the same for the 0-1 holes.) The MLB or ILBs fill. The point was to close off the dive aspect, and also force the QB to pitch. At that point, the triple option becomes just another pitch play. The best DEs are able to string the QB out laterally, but not allow a cutback, to allow the LBs, CBs and safety to move into position to support and cover the pitch.

Why didn’t C’Ville do that? Can’t say. The films show the DEs doing that all the way through the 3rd qtr, then they started adjusting. It was ridiculous watching a DE run past the QB, who had the ball, all the way across the back side of the line of scrimmage to hit the FB from behind doing a fake dive on the other side of the line. Once they adjusted, they started closing down the triple. Plus, once C’Ville got up by a touchdown, SOCO changed it’s game plan, to more passing. Might have hurt them more than helped, as SOCO was still getting a lot out of the triple. Although as I noted earlier, the SOCO players were exhausted. Great game. Would have been different if they only played three quarters.

I’ve heard a great deal about the coaching at C’Ville, but the defensive scheme, particularly given Neff’s tenure at SOCO, did not seem very coherent to me.

Date: November 23, 2013 07:54PM

Viking thanks for those notes. The other thing that struck me watching last night was why all of the defense could not tackle. This was on short bursts but also in the open field, they looked like deer in headlights, giving them way too much cushion. Took Wiggins and a few others to make a couple of pops to get the others to follow suit.

Date: November 23, 2013 07:59PM

Sc football player,

The fumble was not the reason you lost, so please don’t get down on yourself, the player who fumbled, or the team. C’Ville is an unusually talented team. You guys played a great game. You did what no other team has done before against C’Ville. Be proud of yourselves.

Date: November 23, 2013 08:08PM

Hsfballfan,

Agreed. The C’Ville tackling was atrocious. They were hitting a college level QB in the chest or around the shoulder pads and trying to wrestle him down. And he just decided he wouldn’t go down. Some wrapping on the tackles, but not much. Unfortunately, that is the state of tackling at all levels today. Fundamentals are not taught, or are apparently taught wrong. I almost want to avert my eyes on open field tackles, as I know the tackler will try to hit with their shoulder and bump the runner down, vice trying to get some type of a wrap.

C’Ville was also not adjusting to the running style of #22, fast, shifty and with great speed. A couple of good tackles on him, but many times he left them grasping at air. (He’s also a great blocker. Very impressive, overall.)

Date: November 23, 2013 08:32PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> Actually I am a 13 year whiz kid who finds school
> boring so do film study and my other football
> obsessing in my free time. Nice to meet ya....
>
> Seriously, this is better than obsessing over some
> of the things that other people obsess over
> (power, alcohol, money, etc.)

You actually bring a nice, light-hearted approach to the discussion, and I apologize for my earlier hostile statements I made to you, hsfballfan. The Friday Night Lights experience is a lot of fun to discuss.

Date: November 23, 2013 08:38PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> And by the way maybe you and Root Boy can start
> your own site (however sneaking suspicion you
> might be same person)

No.

Date: November 23, 2013 08:41PM

Very suspect,

My day job is preventing nuclear war, so high school football is nice way to unwind. Thanks.

Date: November 23, 2013 08:46PM

No worries Rootboy or Just Shut Up love ya both too...keep on pushing me to be better or (worse). Smile

Date: November 23, 2013 08:49PM

Viking Wrote:
> Just some comments.
>
> Thorough analysis RootBoy, but believe your
> conclusion is wrong. The turnovers were
> inevitable, given the SOCO QB's tendency to fumble
> the pitch and his loose handling of the ball as
> seen in many previous games. Once he figures out
> how to pitch (in particular to his left) and
> secure the ball when he is in traffic, he will be
> a good, but not great, QB. (Would help if he got
> some coaching on his throwing as well.)
>
> To me the key difference between the two teams
> came down to conditioning and depth. C'Ville had
> both and SOCO didn't. This was even early into
> the 4th quarter, but the SOCO players were simply
> gassed. Many were playing both ways, and the
> O-Line in particular looked dead on their feet at
> the end. They gave it a great, nearly herculean,
> effort, but C’Ville just had to much in the
> end.
>
> Neutral_fan,
>
> Saw your post earlier on the "holding" by the
> C'Ville TE during the fake punt. Recommend you
> review the films. I've seen it a dozen times.
> #11 was the TE and he blocked down on the DT, not
> the DE. The DE was kicked out by a pulling
> tackle. No holding at all from any of the two
> angles I've seen. And none of the refs visible in
> any frame have their hands anywhere near their
> flags.
>
> Officiating was probably the worst I’ve seen in
> many years, but frankly this year has been the
> worst overall. Understand the crew was being
> evaluated yesterday. Most, particularly #104
> (who, while 15yds away, was looking at a trapped
> ball ‘reception’ and couldn’t see the ball
> on the ground with the receivers hands on top
> them) should be canned.
>
> I've seen the interception called back due to the
> "phantom holding" call. When viewing the various
> angles, the C'ville DBs were playing off the
> receivers (another post on that later) by at least
> 2-3 yards. Unless they had 6-9 foot arms they
> couldn’t have held anything, because they were
> to far off.
>
> Lots of cheap shots by SOCO and a few by
> C’Ville. To bad. If they want to be thugs they
> should go to basketball. There’s no honor in
> that in football. But at least no one on the
> field was as dirty as McManus from Washington-Lee.
> Now that kid is a punk.
>
> Enough for now.

Oh please. The CV defense was gassed. They were getting up slowly and had their hands on their hips waiting for the inexorable no huddle to come right back at them. They couldn't stop it.

Date: November 23, 2013 09:00PM

Viking Wrote:
> Just some comments.
>
> Thorough analysis RootBoy, but believe your
> conclusion is wrong. The turnovers were
> inevitable, given the SOCO QB's tendency to fumble
> the pitch and his loose handling of the ball as
> seen in many previous games. Once he figures out
> how to pitch (in particular to his left) and
> secure the ball when he is in traffic, he will be
> a good, but not great, QB. (Would help if he got
> some coaching on his throwing as well.)
>
> To me the key difference between the two teams
> came down to conditioning and depth. C'Ville had
> both and SOCO didn't. This was even early into
> the 4th quarter, but the SOCO players were simply
> gassed. Many were playing both ways, and the
> O-Line in particular looked dead on their feet at
> the end. They gave it a great, nearly herculean,
> effort, but C’Ville just had to much in the
> end.
>
> Neutral_fan,
>
> Saw your post earlier on the "holding" by the
> C'Ville TE during the fake punt. Recommend you
> review the films. I've seen it a dozen times.
> #11 was the TE and he blocked down on the DT, not
> the DE. The DE was kicked out by a pulling
> tackle. No holding at all from any of the two
> angles I've seen. And none of the refs visible in
> any frame have their hands anywhere near their
> flags.
>
> Officiating was probably the worst I’ve seen in
> many years, but frankly this year has been the
> worst overall. Understand the crew was being
> evaluated yesterday. Most, particularly #104
> (who, while 15yds away, was looking at a trapped
> ball ‘reception’ and couldn’t see the ball
> on the ground with the receivers hands on top
> them) should be canned.
>
> I've seen the interception called back due to the
> "phantom holding" call. When viewing the various
> angles, the C'ville DBs were playing off the
> receivers (another post on that later) by at least
> 2-3 yards. Unless they had 6-9 foot arms they
> couldn’t have held anything, because they were
> to far off.
>
> Lots of cheap shots by SOCO and a few by
> C’Ville. To bad. If they want to be thugs they
> should go to basketball. There’s no honor in
> that in football. But at least no one on the
> field was as dirty as McManus from Washington-Lee.
> Now that kid is a punk.
>
> Enough for now.

The SC QB pitches and passes just fine. It's an option offense and the ball has to carried loosely. Hard to pitch it with it tucked under your arm. A ball gets bobbled or a pass floats once in a while. It's high school, and it even happens in college sometimes! But he (and the other SC backs) certainly ran all over the studs in the dominant CV defense. And the real irony here is that this was his last football game. He will go on to play for Army Lacrosse at West Point next year.

Posted by: yo ()
Date: November 23, 2013 09:11PM

Cville's defense got exposed last night by south county. They didn't look good at all but they made big plays and turnovers in crunch time. Symmes, Kargbo and Davis had there way with the triple option. Cville has a lot of work to do before you crowned them region champs. just my thought..

Posted by: Would've been different ()
Date: November 23, 2013 09:20PM

If Soco had #3 not out for the majority of the season they would be the powerhouse in 6A north. #8 wouldn't be playing so much offense and he is a big part of the defense and him being gassed most of the second half became a huge factor in Cvilles big plays. Excited to see what #3 has in store for next year as he could go all region.

PS.
He played in two games and made 2nd team all patriot conference.

Date: November 23, 2013 09:36PM

Would've been different Wrote:
> If Soco had #3 not out for the majority of the
> season they would be the powerhouse in 6A north.
> #8 wouldn't be playing so much offense and he is a
> big part of the defense and him being gassed most
> of the second half became a huge factor in Cvilles
> big plays. Excited to see what #3 has in store for
> next year as he could go all region.
>
>
> PS.
> He played in two games and made 2nd team all
> patriot conference.

I don't disagree with your statement per se, and having had #3 in there all season would have added even more fire power to the SC triple-option blockbuster. But had the SC defense been more solid they would have gone to the state championship with the offense they had even without #3. With the SC defense frequently giving up the big plays, and so many times for very quick scores, it's unrealistic to have seen them getting past most of the better offensive teams in the playoffs. But if the SC defense had been able to tighten up and hold good teams to say 24-28 points in a game, their offense should usually win it for them. Gotta be solid on both sides of the ball.

Posted by: Mysterious12345 ()
Date: November 23, 2013 09:36PM

As my team , SoCo, went down this week I look to the future. Who's going to be good next year? Any stud athletes ready to break out? Or will many teams decline as talented seniors graduate? Thoughts?

Posted by: VA Sports ()
Date: November 23, 2013 10:02PM

I know this has already been asked, but does anyone know where I could find all-district listings?

Most specifically the Concorde district?

Date: November 23, 2013 10:16PM

I too have been looking for the All Districts lists but to no avail.

Centreville (sorry, I know) will return about 15-16 starters include AJ Turner, Charles Tutt, Taylor Boose, X. Nickens-Yzer, Tyler Love, Devante Wright, Christian Brooks, Justin Skule, etc. Plus they have plenty coming up in the current Frosh and Sophomore classes. Will be right up there again.

Date: November 23, 2013 10:19PM

Oh Coach oh Coach, where art thou dear Coach? Want to hear from you directly with your analysis (I feel your presence even now.....)

Date: November 23, 2013 10:36PM

It's crazy how adults who aren't even football coaches obsess over HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. It's almost scary. Y'all need to re-evaluate your lives. I mean high school football is interesting but y'all OBSESS over it.

This just in....

All points bulletin out on "Very Suspect" for crimes against football obsessors, composite sketch looks like Ms. Crabapple, everyone's third grade teacher...grey hair in a bun, horned rim glasses.....

Posted by: ...... ()
Date: November 23, 2013 10:38PM

Mysterious12345 Wrote:
> As my team , SoCo, went down this week I look to
> the future. Who's going to be good next year? Any
> stud athletes ready to break out? Or will many
> teams decline as talented seniors graduate?
> Thoughts?

Doubt next years soco will be as good as this one as they graduate almost their entire offense

Posted by: We can say the same ()
Date: November 23, 2013 11:06PM

Would've been different Wrote:
> If Soco had #3 not out for the majority of the
> season they would be the powerhouse in 6A north.
> #8 wouldn't be playing so much offense and he is a
> big part of the defense and him being gassed most
> of the second half became a huge factor in Cvilles
> big plays. Excited to see what #3 has in store for
> next year as he could go all region.
>
>
> PS.
> He played in two games and made 2nd team all
> patriot conference.

We can say the same thing about Nickens-Yzer. Unfortunately due to injury he only played in 5 games total and still made 2nd team all conference. What's your point?

Date: November 23, 2013 11:09PM

Hey "We can say the same" where are the lists?

Posted by: History ()
Date: November 24, 2013 11:03AM

This soco offense is one of the best in history

Posted by: hmm ()
Date: November 24, 2013 11:53AM

Seems like south county beat themselves on the offensive side of the ball, considering only 2-3 of the turnovers were actually forced by cville. There were a couple fumbles forced by wiggins however props to him. The botched pitch and interception(s) are all user error and was south county shooting itself in the foot. Would have been a way different story without turnovers. South County never got lucky in this game. In my opinion muddle formations should now be second nature among teams, especially in the northern region, everyone runs it. on the muddle formation field goal cville had it perfectly defended except wiggins missed a tackle and south county capitalized on a corner that was caught staring at the qb. If south county got lucky off of fake punts then so did cville on their's. Cville won because they capitalized off of south county's mistakes. It also helps that their offense and defense are top 5 in the state.

Posted by: hmm ()
Date: November 24, 2013 11:55AM

As for the onside kicks being "lucky", aren't you taught how to receive/kick them in practice? I don't think it is really a matter of luck. It's about having a quick special teams and a kicker that can get a good bounce.

Posted by: "Nordic" ()
Date: November 24, 2013 12:02PM

Yes, the teams that tend to defend the triple option best are the ones with D-ends that provide the qb with a "shaky" read and feather down the line. Cville went straight for dive every single time, even the mlb would be consumed by every play-fake. They need to fix that.
ON another note
Cville is 5x better and more athletic than braddock, if they get into a rhythm no one can stop them, especially on offense. Lake Braddock no longer has Lomax either so their edge has been weakened a bit,.

Date: November 24, 2013 12:38PM

History Wrote:
> This soco offense is one of the best in history

No way. SoCo’s O self-destructed when it counted most.
What did it do with the game on the line vs. C’Ville, LB and even 5-6 Chantilly?
Here is what it did: turnovers, fumbles, one-dimensional and unable to rally by passing..
This year, a number of VA teams have “better” O’s
Example 1: Bird is unbeaten and averaging 50
Example 2: Smith is unbeaten and averaging 49
Example 3: LB is unbeaten and averaging 49.
Example 4: C’Ville--2 longTD passes on SoCo to close Q2 + 3 long TDs runs in Q4 when it counted.
Prior years:
Example 5: 2012, Lake Taylor; 50 ppg, went 15-0, beat Phoebus 54-0 and SB at UVA.
Example 6: 2011 Smith averaged almost 40 vs. tough teams and titled with 47 on C’ville
Example 7: 2007 Westfield. Did the same thing as the 2011 Smith team.
See these rankings of O’s by year:
http://www.vhsl-reference.com/ratingsmainpage_off_gy.cfm?GY=2007

SoCo's O was good this year, and it's 9-3 record reflects that.
Having seen SoCo play twice, I give it the eye test.
In the end, it lived and died by the option.
Putting 50s on weak teams doesn't make history.
Performing when the game is on the line does.

Posted by: KeepitRealll ()
Date: November 24, 2013 01:41PM

Soco is returning most of their Defense which will be improved, obviously. Their best offensive player (#3) will be back, as well as the entire receiving core, and half of the O-Line. The Sophomore and Freshman class at Soco are VERY impressive and with the off-season workouts and meetings Pannoni has the team doing all year, they will surely be a contender for at least the next 3 years. Talking to their coaches, there off-season schedule is no joke, hard to find another school in the state who works harder than them.

Posted by: It can happen... ()
Date: November 24, 2013 03:06PM

KeepitRealll Wrote:
> Soco is returning most of their Defense which will
> be improved, obviously. Their best offensive
> player (#3) will be back, as well as the entire
> receiving core, and half of the O-Line. The
> Sophomore and Freshman class at Soco are VERY
> impressive and with the off-season workouts and
> meetings Pannoni has the team doing all year, they
> will surely be a contender for at least the next 3
> years. Talking to their coaches, there off-season
> schedule is no joke, hard to find another school
> in the state who works harder than them.

Don't be surprised if Soco is a contender for the state title in the next few years. One of the great programs and has one of the great coaches in Virginia.

Date: November 24, 2013 03:34PM

Eastern Va Fan thanks for the strong info. Should remind us all that to be considered great you really have to get deeper in the playoffs.

Date: November 24, 2013 03:55PM

Agreed, Nordic. Other teams are watching this game, and will look for any Centreville weaknesses.

Hmm,
I think the QB and pitch man needed more work on the pitch. It is very difficult to do right every time, which is what you have to do in a game. Accepting fumbles was nothing my coaches seemed really keen on, in practice or in a game. Or at least they left that impression with me courtesy of a number of laps for me and everyone else in the backfield for each miscue. Did keep us in shape though. Of course, I’m from Ohio, and the coaches there tend to be Neanderthals.

The Centreville kickoffs on both sides of the ball need a lot of work. These have been iffy since the beginning of the season.

Despite the muddle formation, there is no reason a receiver should ever be 5 yards free end running away from a DB in the end zone in any situation. It points to Centreville’s most significant weakness – coverage. They highlight reel interceptions, but don’t cover well against good receivers and QBs.

I still believe the game came down to South County being out of gas in the 4th quarter. Capitalizing on and causing some turnovers definitely helped, but South County’s switch to the pass and Centreville finding its rhythm in the 4th quarter were also key issues. Most of the turnovers were in the 4th quarter and I think exhaustion was a factor. Not knocking South County at all, although some here will suspect that in any case.

Posted by: Love the forum, but... ()
Date: November 24, 2013 04:26PM

we really need some posters who are not completely biased in their outlook. I mean, Centreville fan and SoCo fan are obviously knowledgable and passionate, but see everything through glasses completely colored by fierce loyalty for their respective teams.

We don't have any truly dominant programs around here, which is a good thing. Teams pop up here and there and are great, but different teams knock them off sometimes, until they, themselves get knocked off their perch.

Let's try our best to keep this from becoming a Centreville suck fest.

Just my two cents....

Date: November 24, 2013 05:00PM

Love the forum, but..

My kids played for another Concorde District school years ago. I think the Concorde District plays the best quality football in the northern region, and I think C’Ville has the best chance to beat the Beach schools. To me, the focus should be on getting the best representative to the state championship to accomplish that goal. Centreville seems to be the best, but isn’t flawless by any stretch. I think they would be a better representative than Lake Braddock or Westfield, but the region championships will decide.

If you want to change topics, then who do you think will be the best Concorde QB next year? My money is on Jake Rowlett at Robinson, although McLaughlin at Herndon could be a big factor for them, particularly given Day’s track record in producing high quality QBs.

Posted by: Ramette ()
Date: November 24, 2013 05:15PM

> If you want to change topics, then who do you
> think will be the best Concorde QB next year? My
> money is on Jake Rowlett at Robinson, although
> McLaughlin at Herndon could be a big factor for
> them, particularly given Day’s track record in
> producing high quality QBs.

I agree Rowlett will be all-dist next year... and he better be, 'cause the Rams have no RBs in the stable. Wilson and Johnson will be gone, and there's no speed/power runner to fill the void. Rowlett will probably be the Rams; biggest running threat. It looks like a one-man show nest season.

Date: November 24, 2013 05:29PM

Viking Wrote:

>
> I still believe the game came down to South County
> being out of gas in the 4th quarter. Capitalizing
> on and causing some turnovers definitely helped,
> but South County’s switch to the pass and
> Centreville finding its rhythm in the 4th quarter
> were also key issues. Most of the turnovers were
> in the 4th quarter and I think exhaustion was a
> factor. Not knocking South County at all,
> although some here will suspect that in any case.

No more out of gas than Centreville, and honestly less so. The CV D line was gasping in the 2nd qtr with their hands on their hips, and looking very bewildered at being down 21-0 to a team they were supposed to crush. The SC off season training is very rigorous, and they have gone up tempo all season, so they are pretty used to it. Overall a pretty well conditioned group. None of the SC linemen went both ways and the only skill guy that would consistently go both ways was #8 Kargbo. I could see he was getting a little tired toward the end. I think what finally collapsed the SC lead and momentum was the offense knowing that the defense would not be able to hold onto it for them, and that they had to make something happen. CV defense adjusted to pressure the option a little better later in the game, but they never really stopped it. The SC offense stopped themselves with the turnovers, and when they got behind they went to the pass, which is not their strength. The SC receivers sometimes seemed to give up on their routes and/or not go up and get the ball, or at least knock it down and prevent the pick if the pass floated up there, which it did a couple times. Some of the long SC go routes in the 4th qtr seemed ill-advised, and more swing passes or slants/drag routes underneath would probably have worked better. If they had taken care of the ball better they would have won the game, simple as that.

Date: November 24, 2013 06:44PM

Ramette,

I’d agree next year could be tough for the Rams. Losing Wilson, Johnson, Ackermann, Pinkston, and a host of other starters will make their road back to the playoffs difficult indeed. Rowlett will have to step up mightily for them to have a shot, however, his passing ability continues to improve. Denham may come through, but don’t think he can replace Wilson or Johnson by himself.

Part of the reason I think Rowlett will be a stand-out is because he will have to carry so much of the load, and he’s shown toughness when Wilson was out.

RootBoy,

Respectfully disagree on the exhaustion, but concur largely with your analysis. #8 was one of the players I was watching, as he was a key part of the SOCO defense. Completely concur that the C’Ville D-line was confused. The adjustments later in game had an effect. Also saw the same thing you did with the SOCO receivers, but I thought they looked a little confused on some of their routes. At one point they had two receivers running the same route next to each other covered by one C’Ville DB. Make that pass, and that could have changed the game. But there were many other events throughout the game that could have resulted in a different outcome.

I didn’t understand why SOCO, switched to the pass when it was tied. I thought the way they had been driving using the triple option was still effective. And when they switched is was almost a complete switch. Mixing the triple with the pass, to me, would have been more effective. But the coaches were probably seeing things differently and apparently had a different perspective on the game situation.

Posted by: Yasss ()
Date: November 24, 2013 07:10PM

This Friday Gerry Pannoni showed us all why he is the best coach in the NR this year

Date: November 24, 2013 07:17PM

To the earlier poster, of course there are CVille (including me of course) and SOCO homers but we are an open bunch....waiting for the Braddock, Westfield and other crowds to weigh in more deeply. All good.

Viking - thanks for the strong posts and the participation. Quality reminds me of some other strong posters who have been on this site. Keep the quality up....

Date: November 24, 2013 07:52PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> Eastern Va Fan thanks for the strong info. Should
> remind us all that to be considered great you
> really have to get deeper in the playoffs.

IMHO, the FB up here is competitive and unforgiving.
In a typical year, you have 2-3 teams capable of titling + a hot team.
Hot team in 2011: SoCo with its D; in 2012 it was Oakton's run in NR playoffs.
You regularly knock off teams with good reg seasons: Westfield 2011, 2012; SB 2011 and others.
That balance and unpredictability is one reason why NR is so fun to watch.
Yorktown comes out of nowhere to go 9-2, 12-1, 12-1, and 9-3.
Falls Church wins +7 games this year.
Langley goes to playoffs with its OL and decent RB.
Herndon is improving.
TC had some strong games.
SoCo had good O.
C'Ville 2012 struggles to beat MtV and Hayfield--now this year goes on a tear.
LB emerged as a balanced O power with a good kicker too.
I could go on and on...the point is your teams constantly ebb and flow.
So to make it to UVA, you have to PERFORM in elimination games
That means DICTATING to the other team and not folding when you get behind or give up a few big plays.

Date: November 24, 2013 07:55PM

Eastern VA Fan so help me understand the 757 a bit better. In years past there seem to me more breadth now it all about OSmith and OLakes. What givens, why the consolidation in just two major teams in the D6 down there?

Posted by: YASSS WHAT ()
Date: November 24, 2013 08:00PM

Yasss Wrote:
> This Friday Gerry Pannoni showed us all why he is
> the best coach in the NR this year

How by losing to Centreville by 20 instead of 40?

Posted by: mysteriomaco ()
Date: November 24, 2013 08:06PM

All this talk about SOCO being best is a bunch of BS. Lost to Lake Braddock, lost to Centreville, lost to Chantilly. Sorry you cannot be best. Play a full game and have a full team and then come back and talk your smackety smack smack.

Maco out!

Posted by: SECEAST ()
Date: November 24, 2013 08:15PM

Yasss Wrote:
> This Friday Gerry Pannoni showed us all why he is
> the best coach in the NR this year

His team had a good season and he gets much credit.
But he is not NR coach of the year.
In reg season, he lost to 5-6 Chantilly.
The D was bad, giving up 34 to Chantilly and a combined 100 to C'Ville and LB.
He is supposed to coach the D, too, right?
The ball handling Fri nigh was a re-run of the LB loss. You fix that in practice and that's coaching.
Most important, his team looked sleepy in q4 Fri and got outscored 27-0.
Going 9-3 gets a big congrats but coach of the year?

Posted by: SoCo ()
Date: November 24, 2013 08:29PM

If the defensive secondary improves then next years team should be dominant. The offense should be just as good, as #3 will be back, the receivers come back, and the backup, #18, did great when symmes went down against lee, scoring two tds. The offense must become much more balanced with a passing game, way too one dimensional with the triple option. But with the way pannoni works those boys they should be primed for a great year next year. GO STALLIONS!

Date: November 24, 2013 08:30PM

"just shut up" Wrote:
> you have even admitted you are a cville fan and
> proceeded to write questionable
> analysis/prediction on their games. for example,
> bitching about the refereeing (which is a poor
> excuse often times) I think most people on this
> forum would say you are a biased opinion….except
> for maybe cvillefan, cat dad, and cvillestudent of
> course. Sorry if my original post came off as
> insulting

I have to admit that CV fans complaining about the officiating is comical to me after watching some of the most atrocious calls and no-calls against South County most of the season, especially in the Chantilly game, with some horrendous pass interference calls against SC. South County also was flagged 13 times for 135 yards in the first TC Williams game. Really? They did earn a few but not nearly that many. Just horrible. I am not saying the refs got every call perfect in the SC-CV game, but it was far better than I have seen in the regular season. I was actually looking for any illegal motion by the SC offense during the game, and they were set for at least a second every time the ball was snapped except for twice, which were good calls.

Posted by: Yasss ()
Date: November 24, 2013 08:46PM

he outcoached haddock and got down all of the special teams calls.
And he does not coach defense, Taylor does

Date: November 24, 2013 08:53PM

Ok folks all good but after a flurry of craziness where CVille admittedly looked horrible, SOCO got outscored 55-14. Don't bronze the hall of fame statue too quickly for Pannoni and SOCO. They are sitting home now twiddling thumbs, CVille plays on....

One time I walked near Brad Pitt, does not mean I look like him

Date: November 24, 2013 08:57PM

Yasss Wrote:
> he outcoached haddock and got down all of the
> special teams calls.
> And he does not coach defense, Taylor does

C'mon, his team fumbled all night and gave up 55 points.
It was the same thing vs. LB.
You don't "outcoach" somebody and get beaten 27-0 in the fourth quarter.

Date: November 24, 2013 09:00PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> Eastern VA Fan so help me understand the 757 a bit
> better. In years past there seem to me more
> breadth now it all about OSmith and OLakes. What
> givens, why the consolidation in just two major
> teams in the D6 down there?

Here, you just have more balance in a typical year.
So many different D6 teams have titled, and that excludes the good LB teams of a few years ago.
In D6, it’s hard to stay at the top. See Landstown.
This year Western Branch was ok but big gap after that.
We’ve seen more prolonged runs among smaller schools.
Here, SB dominated D5 for 10 years, with SoCo and Yorktown doing well in 2011, 2012. .
Down there, you had Hampton teams in the late 1990s followed by the Phoebus runs.
Now,it’s LT, followed by Phoebus this year (which lost Fri and to LT last year by 50+).

I saw LT beat SB at UVA last year and saw Smith wax LT 42-2 this year.
I can’t believe Smith can play this well the entire year w/o having one bad game.
We’ll see this weekend.

Posted by: coach ()
Date: November 24, 2013 09:42PM

hsfan is a weird ass old guy..

Date: November 24, 2013 09:48PM

Et tu coach, et tu....?

I am hurt.

Posted by: The Kicker ()
Date: November 24, 2013 09:56PM

hsfballfan Wrote:
> Et tu coach, et tu....?
>
> I am hurt.

My first thought: imposter...
Coach has always said you're his favorite. Just a thought

Date: November 24, 2013 09:58PM

Thanks to you The Kicker - another wall of famer. Maybe it is an impostor coach, maybe not. I think we may have found our Ms. Crabapple....search is over.

Date: November 24, 2013 10:00PM

Will the real Coach please come back to us. We miss you even though you are close.

Posted by: cOach ()
Date: November 24, 2013 10:09PM

meeeeee

Date: November 24, 2013 10:32PM

Coach, hoping you are the real Coach....miss ya man, think there are impostors on this site using your moniker. Knew you were not too far away and would come back when the chips were down. You da man, we need no impostors any which way they happen.

What a few days - whew.

Centreville down 21-0 in first half
Root Boy and Just Shut up telling me to shut up and then apologizing
Ms. Crabapple my third grade teacher accusing all of us with obsessing about football
SOCO fans saying SOCO is the best even though they are sitting home now
Cold as Minnesota here in DC in so many ways
Coach, my # 1 fan, calling me what he did (but alas now finding out there is likely an impostor coach...)

Is this an episode of Lost on ABC television.

Oh yes CVille will right the ship and bring sanity back with a shellacking of SJackson this weekend.....

Posted by: ?><? ()
Date: November 24, 2013 10:52PM

wait hsfballfan, why are we forgetting the other 21 points? Maybe we should forget the 55 cville scored on soco because that was when soco looked "horrible" as well.

Date: November 24, 2013 10:55PM

You know I think the world of the Cats, just was scared the first quarter and a half. Got to be straight with everyone, no BS. But hey as I have said of course they they unleashed the fury and outscored SOCO 55-14. The ship will be righted this weekend.

Posted by: langleysax ()
Date: November 24, 2013 11:05PM

hsfballfan i've got to say you are getting a tad bit annoying with your failed attempts at humor. And judging by recent posts you will probably get butthurt over this very post and start calling people "soco fans" because they are centreville's latest victim/test. The hypocrisy is real. you can't criticize other people's opinions because they are "soco fans" when you are analyzing the game as a centreville fan.

Posted by: Soco football player ()
Date: November 24, 2013 11:05PM

Personally I think lake Braddock is better than centreville

Date: November 24, 2013 11:13PM

hsfballfan, do you run this forum? I appreciate your attempts at moderating somewhat civil conversation but can you spare us of all the other bs (which includes your crappy coaches, hypocritical behavior/analysis, and stupidity quite honestly). please stop acting like everyone wants to the unceasing horseshit that is spewing out of your mouth/keyboard. yeah it's a "free country" like you posted earlier to "just shut up" but it doesn't mean people don't deserve to read better stuff on this site.

Date: November 24, 2013 11:16PM

sorry meant "jokes" not "coaches"

Date: November 24, 2013 11:19PM

Ok now the Langley Saxon fans giving me a dose of medicine even though they similarly sit home as one of the vanquished. Or maybe another impostor who knows. No real Coach left to talk this all through intelligently, only a fake Coach in more ways than one, no more joy of the community, Steve K2 pissed off at me as a newcomer, old friends not online as much as before, many people clearly using multiple aliases and not being true to themselves or the community.

Good luck (or maybe bad luck to some) to all. I sign off now never to grace this posting place again. I will take my biased analysis, my blowhardiness, my talk too muchedness away and be gone. Good luck going back to where it was before, stray posts - my team's colors are better than yours, SOCO SOCO SOCO GO, etc. No moderation, no anchor, no direction, no fun.

Sometimes people are just not understood or appreciated.

Peace out and go Wildcats!

Date: November 25, 2013 06:38AM

All of you that don't like me are sitting at home and my team that I follow is still playing and we are one of the greatest ever. Unless your team is still playing don't tell me how good they or their coaches are.

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: November 25, 2013 07:44AM

Soco is graduating more than half the line and the other two guys that rotated in on the o-line

Posted by: 757 ()
Date: November 25, 2013 07:44AM

How can you guys expect to beat a team that has a freshman with 7offers

Posted by: Langleysax ()
Date: November 25, 2013 07:51AM

Thank you hsfballfan. Much obliged. But hurt as usual lmao. Boohoo no one appreciates me boohoo. unfortunately we all know you'll be back

Posted by: Braddock vs Cville ()
Date: November 25, 2013 08:14AM

Take it from someone that has played both teams and Braddock will beat centreville... A much better team. You can talk about the talent centreville has all you want but Braddock is a lot more well rounded than centreville.

Posted by: ...... ()
Date: November 25, 2013 08:58AM

If you tell me David Symmes shouldn't be going D1 quarterback there's something wrong with you... Imagine if he actually cared more about football than lacrosse and how much better of a quarterback he would be.

Posted by: .......... ()
Date: November 25, 2013 08:59AM

Pages: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 27

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.