HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 189
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: hmmm07 ()
Date: November 01, 2007 10:33AM

South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hmmmmm07,
> I agree that the school board should help people
> to relax by making statements about grandfathering
> definitively, not wishy washy. I don't think
> there is any reason why they would grandfather
> existing high schools students, especially because
> kids would not be able to make the switch to IB
> that easily. It just wouldn't make sense to do
> this. Also, community input will make a
> difference, as in the Rachel Carson case.
>
> What I heard at the SL PTA meeting was that we
> would start with ninth graders. This would also
> give time for AP to kick in. This is the only
> thing that makes sense.

I agree that it is the only thing that makes sense. But making sense is not what the current school board has done very well the last several years and therein lies the problem. I'm cynical enough at this point to realize that I just can't trust this current school board with that decision. I'll definitely vote against my incumbent and take a good hard look at the at large seats. I want someone without an agenda.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 01, 2007 10:43AM

How under capacity are schools like Falls Church, Marshall, JEB Stuart, Wakefield, Mt Vernon or Fairfax? Is South Lakes the only school that is currently under capacity that the school board feels the need to "fix?" If they do the right thing and phase in the students starting with ninth graders, and go on to do the right thing again by grandfathering siblings (which makes sense...splitting families is just not reasonable) then how long will it take for South Lakes to get the 600 students it wants? I'm fairly certain that the stuff I've read and the maps I've seen the last few days indicate that enrollments at both Westfield and Chantilly will have stabilized to at or under capacity and Oakton has never had the problem anyway. So I just don't get why they need to disrupt SO MANY kids in an effort to fix one particular school when there are other schools in the county with the same issues?

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: November 01, 2007 10:50AM

SLVerity Wrote:

> Then meet with him and convince him of that. If
> your arguments are good, he will respond.

Trying to get Bruce to listen can be a very frustrating experience.

Linda Jones is the new DSA and former head women’s basketball coach whom Bruce appointed DSA despite the concerns of the community. The objections were at least threefold 1) her passive personality would put SL kids at a disadvantage in the Northern Region 2) her disparate treatment of people of a different color and 3) her sexual orientation.

Each of these concerns deserve it own posting so this will be a three parter.

1) During Linda’s tenure as head basketball coach hers was one of the few high schools teams that had no one from its staff actively participating in the AAU spring/summer basketball program. Since this is where college coaches scout players, and since all the other high school coaches participated in and gave preferential treatment to players going to their own high schools, but were respectful of the interests and players of other high school coaches who participated in the same AAU program, the players from SL were at a competitive disadvantage both for spots on AAU teams and for playing time on those teams.

Further during her time as head basketball coach, Linda’s was one of the few teams in the Northern Region not to film games. Thus, even when a player was able to attract the attention of a college coach, the player was unable to provide game tape to the coach. Nor did Linda ever advise players’ parents who didn’t know any better that they should be taping for their daughter’s benefit.

This is important because women’s basketball is one of just four women’s college sports in which 15 full scholarships are available at each of the over 300 D-I schools and 8 full scholarships are available at another 300 D-II schools.

Thus, Linda’s lassitude cost families real money and her player's opportunities.

More Later

Posted by: Cricket ()
Date: November 01, 2007 11:19AM

> >
> > I believe the board already stated that they
> would
> > not move students already in high school.
>
> This is news to me. I have not heard that.
> Acutally, I have heard the opposite, that Stu
> Gibson has said that he can't guarantee ANY
> grandfathering. The issue is such a hotbed that
> he has said if they begin grandfathering, it will
> never end and the purpose of the redistricting
> will be defeated.

We had this discussion about 10 pages ago. Again, Grandfathering is on the agenda. It is not a done deal for anyone (meaning no one has been guaranteed a grandfathering). It is imporatant that you speak your piece if necessary at the Town Hall Mtgs.

Date: November 01, 2007 11:28AM

Old Timer Wrote:
> South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Old Timer,
> > I agree that the school board should help
> people
> > to relax by making statements about
> grandfathering
> > definitively, not wishy washy. I don't think
> > there is any reason why they would grandfather
> > existing high schools students, especially
> because
> > kids would not be able to make the switch to IB
> > that easily. It just wouldn't make sense to do
> > this. Also, community input will make a
> > difference, as in the Rachel Carson case.
> >
> > What I heard at the SL PTA meeting was that we
> > would start with ninth graders. This would
> also
> > give time for AP to kick in. This is the only
> > thing that makes sense.
>
>
> Agree with all above.
>
> I personally will go to the meetings with the goal
> of providing analytical measured comments such as
> starting with 9th graders, ramping up to add AP
> classes to supplement IB, marketing the school's
> successes, and adding a parents' committee to the
> implementation process comprised of current SLHS
> and transferred parents where grievances/concerns
> could be discussed in a rational manner.
>
> I've also thought about a process for the
> transferred incoming freshman to have
> mentors/buddies from currrent students but then
> realized that the students will be fine. It's the
> parents who need the support :)
>
> The "hell no we won't go" attitude is not going to
> work. We've all heard the groups of
> parents/communities mobilizing to attend the
> meetings in community or school colors. I think
> if they approach this irrationally, their
> fears/claims will be dismissed as whining and
> self-serving.

Are you all suggesting rising 9th graders or existing 9th graders?

Date: November 01, 2007 11:31AM

> Grandfathering:
>
> It seems people may be using two definitions of
> grandfathering. One is that anyone above ninth
> grade; the other is for siblings.
>
> From what I understand, siblings will not be
> grandfathered. This is what Stu was referring to
> when he said no grandfathering.
>
> The other is grandfathering kids who already
> started high school. These kids would be
> grandfathered, from what I understand.

And when Stop-RD is successful next Tuesday, we won't have to worry about Stu's vaporous promises!

Posted by: word ()
Date: November 01, 2007 11:33AM

Is South Lakes the only school that is currently under capacity that the school board feels the need to "fix?"

I think the board feels this one is worth saving. Most of the others they have given up on and/or they are surrounded by other problem schools so there is no out.

Date: November 01, 2007 11:59AM

Cricket,

Grandfathering existing ninth graders-- rising ninth graders will go to SL. At the SL meeting it was stated that, because SL is an existing school, there is no rush to "fill" it, so it will start with rising ninth graders.

Of course, this is subject to constructive community input. If the community has concerns that can reasonably be addressed (and "we aren't going" is not included here).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2007 12:00PM by South Lakes Pyramid parent.

Posted by: Old Timer ()
Date: November 01, 2007 12:01PM

Cricket Wrote:
> > I personally will go to the meetings with the
> goal
> > of providing analytical measured comments such
> as
> > starting with 9th graders, ramping up to add AP
> > classes to supplement IB, marketing the
> school's
> > successes, and adding a parents' committee to
> the
> > implementation process comprised of current
> SLHS
> > and transferred parents where
> grievances/concerns
> > could be discussed in a rational manner.
> >
> > I've also thought about a process for the
> > transferred incoming freshman to have
> > mentors/buddies from currrent students but then
> > realized that the students will be fine. It's
> the
> > parents who need the support :)
> >
> > The "hell no we won't go" attitude is not going
> to
> > work. We've all heard the groups of
> > parents/communities mobilizing to attend the
> > meetings in community or school colors. I
> think
> > if they approach this irrationally, their
> > fears/claims will be dismissed as whining and
> > self-serving.
>
> Are you all suggesting rising 9th graders or
> existing 9th graders?

Rising 9th graders.

I haven't heard from anyone who would want to move EXISTING high school students. As a parent, I think siblings should be kept in the same school as well.

Date: November 01, 2007 12:04PM

> At the SL meeting it
> was stated that, because SL is an existing school,
> there is no rush to "fill" it, so it will start
> with rising ninth graders.

Stu didn't say that Marie Allen a parent and former PTA officer did. Stu did not respond.

More Later

Date: November 01, 2007 12:05PM

Or maybe the school board could agree to pupil place siblings of a certain age (at least 7th grade or something like that). This could drag out forever if siblings younger than that were grandfathered, and I have no idea how the bussing would be able to be handled then.

Plus, younger kids might be mored concerned about being with their friends in the neighborhood than to go where their older sibs went.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2007 12:15PM by South Lakes Pyramid parent.

Date: November 01, 2007 12:11PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:
> -----
> > At the SL meeting it
> > was stated that, because SL is an existing
> school,
> > there is no rush to "fill" it, so it will start
> > with rising ninth graders.
>
> Stu didn't say that Marie Allen a parent and
> former PTA officer did. Stu did not respond.

I thought his non-response was a tacit agreement. He did not object to that statement. When questioned further, he did say that siblings would not be grandfathered. But again, I think this is negotiable and should be brought up at the meetings. I can't imagine why we would not allow grandfathering if it would make people happi(er). Why would he care?

Date: November 01, 2007 12:12PM

>
> Rising 9th graders.
>
> I haven't heard from anyone who would want to move
> EXISTING high school students. As a parent, I
> think siblings should be kept in the same school
> as well.

Well, I agree with you. My guess is that younger siblings will most likely have to request a pupil-placement. But regardless, there have been differing things suggested by a number of different board members and county planning officials (Stu's words, heard at the mtgs. referred to above, are not in tune with what his peers are suggesting). Again, I wrote about this in previous posts. And I will add that grandfathering left a bitter taste in the FCPS transportation office after the Oakton/Chantilly/C-ville shift to Westfield. Because of this, folks should be prepared to speak up about grandfathering.

Posted by: IB Good ()
Date: November 01, 2007 12:18PM

Thomas
Calculus is Calculus whether you get AP or IB credit. Why would Bruce have 2 separate classes? If you really THINK about what Bruce says you'll understand.
I'm not sure why you hate the administration so much - I don't think you know why either.
Whatever your problem is you aren't helping

Date: November 01, 2007 12:21PM

How many SL parents would be opposed to rethinking the whole IB thing? I know I wouldn't, but I don't have kids in high school yet.

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: November 01, 2007 12:35PM

...this is the thread that will not end.... it just goes on and on my friend..... some people started posting to it, not knowing what it was..... and they will continue posting to it forever just because...

Posted by: resource allocation-later start times ()
Date: November 01, 2007 12:45PM

Grandfathering is difficult [uses more busses] and I think South Lakes and Hughes should share busses. But, Stu G isn't matching up the middle and high schools. Other than the GT center, is there anyone at Hughes who does not currently feed to South Lakes?

With less grandfathering and a relatively concise boundary SOUTH LAKES SHOULD HAVE LATER START TIMES coordinating with the feeder elementary schools.

The IB/ AP issue is a problem - how many actually get the IB diploma historically? If it's less than 50 who are in-boundary for South Lakes they can get bussed to Marshall [add a stop to the TJ shuttle].

South Lakes has 55 at other schools now for AP [44]and curriculum [9] with 43 placed at South Lakes for IB [26 herndon,2 langley, 3 madison, 1 chantilly, 3 westfield, 8 oakton]. I wonder how many of the pupil placements are diploma candidates or get the diploma in any school year. South Lakes has an IB pupil placement at Marshall...odd.

Posted by: spanky ()
Date: November 01, 2007 12:55PM

To SL Parents (Parity/Padre/whatever),
How about talking your neighbors into attending SLHS instead of letting them go to private schools? Face it. We have a sorry excuse for a Fairfax County Public School, and for you to be posting on a message board instead of actually DOING SOMETHING for the past 10 years is a real shame. Its no wonder you want to cherry pick from the better surrounding elementary schools. Those parents and students might actually affect a change. And it would make our lives easier by letting someone else handle our burden.

Yeah, I know. I live in Reston. But there's NO WAY I would let my children attend SLHS. Better start checking for when those entrance exams are for private school!

Date: November 01, 2007 01:10PM

IB Good Wrote:
> Thomas
> Calculus is Calculus whether you get AP or IB
> credit.

Have you just ignored the last 25 pages or skipped over alll of them. There's a question whether the material in IB Calculus covers as much as the material in AP Calculus. At least one highly regarded math teacher at SL who was familiar with both said IB covered less.

There's a question whether the IB Calculus class will even allow you to advance place out of the college Calculas requirement at the college you want go to. Have you checked that out yet.

Even if that college accepts IB credits, there's a question as to whether the score from the IB Calculus test will be reported in time to your college to get the advanced placement.

There's a question whether the homework burden in IB is less or more than AP. At least 30 kids at Robinson dropped out of the IB program because the work load was too heavy. Those 30 kids now have to take a freshman history course. In 11 years with kids in high school, I've never heard of that at an AP program.

There's a questioin as to why IB was imposed on SL without community consultation.

These are legitimate issues. They are legitimate reason for parents from AP pyramids to want not to go to SL. If they are not addressed the opposition to the redistricting will only get louder. Pupil placement by those opposed to IB will be greater in numbers.

Anyone with aspirations for college ought to be able to summarize these issues and realize its not about hating any one or anything.

More Later

Date: November 01, 2007 01:10PM

Spanky--most of my neighbors do send their kids to SL or plan to.

What are YOU doing?

Posted by: won'tgo ()
Date: November 01, 2007 01:21PM

Already checked out the private schoools - the question is, how many others have done the same thing? Is there going to be anyone left to attend a school that they don't want to attend? Do you have any idea how many people are going to try to pupil place out of SL? The school board is giong to cut off that option once people start doing that in droves.

Regardless, the bottom line is if parents really don't want their kids to go there they won't be going there. So for you who said, "we won't go won't work", yes, actually, it will, if people are left with no other choice.

Date: November 01, 2007 01:23PM

> South Lakes has 55 at other schools now for AP [44]

This number would increase 10 times that amount if an AP program is not put in place along with redistricting.

Date: November 01, 2007 01:24PM

SRE Wrote:
> ...this is the thread that will not end.... it
> just goes on and on my friend..... some people
> started posting to it, not knowing what it
> was..... and they will continue posting to it
> forever just because...

thanks, Lamp Chop

Date: November 01, 2007 01:26PM

I did what any responsible parent in the SLHS pyramid would do - either move or send my children to private school, like roughly half of my neighbors.

Don't get me wrong - I like Reston, but SLHS is a boil.

Date: November 01, 2007 01:32PM

I thought you just said we should convince our neighbors to not go, bear our burden, but you are unwilling to take your own advice.

You are partly the reason we are in this predicament of being underenrolled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2007 01:44PM by South Lakes Pyramid parent.

Posted by: IBgood ()
Date: November 01, 2007 01:49PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> IB Good Wrote:
> -----
> > Thomas
> > Calculus is Calculus whether you get AP or IB
> > credit.
>
> Have you just ignored the last 25 pages or skipped
> over alll of them. There's a question whether the
> material in IB Calculus covers as much as the
> material in AP Calculus. At least one highly
> regarded math teacher at SL who was familiar with
> both said IB covered less.
>
> There's a question whether the IB Calculus class
> will even allow you to advance place out of the
> college Calculas requirement at the college you
> want go to. Have you checked that out yet.
>
> Even if that college accepts IB credits, there's a
> question as to whether the score from the IB
> Calculus test will be reported in time to your
> college to get the advanced placement.
>
> There's a question whether the homework burden in
> IB is less or more than AP. At least 30 kids at
> Robinson dropped out of the IB program because the
> work load was too heavy. Those 30 kids now have
> to take a freshman history course. In 11 years
> with kids in high school, I've never heard of that
> at an AP program.
>
> There's a questioin as to why IB was imposed on SL
> without community consultation.
>
> These are legitimate issues. They are legitimate
> reason for parents from AP pyramids to want not to
> go to SL. If they are not addressed the
> opposition to the redistricting will only get
> louder. Pupil placement by those opposed to IB
> will be greater in numbers.
>
> Anyone with aspirations for college ought to be
> able to summarize these issues and realize its
> not about hating any one or anything.

I have taken the IB math courses while in Europe and have a degree in mathematics. I also was offered a full scholarship at Mich State to do a PhD in Math without completing my Masters.
I don't believe the IB program has been "dummed" down for the Americans so I believe that colleges do honor and accept it. I tutored students in Math while in grad school - don't even try and tell me that AP is superior.

Frankly if those 30 kids dropped out it is because they are lazy and the parents aren't committed to helping them.

The scared AP parents must do their due diligence and truly learn about the program. Everything I am reading from these AP parents is that they are haters and are using IB as an excuse to sequester their children in all white affluent "elite-class" community.

BOTTOM LINE - learn about the program and make choices based on fact not fear

Date: November 01, 2007 01:54PM

Sorry to put you and other SL Parents in this predicament. My children's education is far more important than "the better good" of a public school, particularly SL.

My point is if you can't convince your neighbors in Reston to go to the public school, what makes you think you can convince outsiders to do the same?

Believe me, I wish I could have saved the private education tuition.

Be careful what you wish for SL parents. You might get it. Then your children will be the bottom performers scholastically and athletically.

And call IB or what any program will be at SL - lipstick on a pig.

Nuff said.

Date: November 01, 2007 01:57PM

Parents are looking for ways to keep their kids in the schools that they are currently attending for a variety of reasons. AP / IB (pupil placement) is one of the ways that is supported by county policy. That does not make them anit-diversity or elite or any of that other trash you like to spew.

The fact of the matter is that whites in Reston have abandoned the school in droves, while populations of African Americans, Hispanics and Asians have either remained the same or increased. So who is anti-diversity?

Posted by: SLVerity ()
Date: November 01, 2007 02:08PM

> South Lakes has an IB pupil placement at
> Marshall...odd.

Not really, the student was expelled from SL.

Date: November 01, 2007 02:12PM

> I thought you just said we should convince our
> neighbors to not go, bear our burden, but you are
> unwilling to take your own advice.
>
> You are partly the reason we are in this
> predicament of being underenrolled.

Well put, SLPP.

Date: November 01, 2007 02:18PM

IB Good,
You think you were tutoring the smart ones???

hahahaha
You are all morons. I'll have to tell my children not to hire your dumb a$$ when/if you graduate with your "IB learnin" diploma.

Thankfully we have lots of restaurants in Reston to hire the SL grads.

See you redistricted folks at Prep!

Date: November 01, 2007 02:23PM

word Wrote:

>
> The fact of the matter is that whites in Reston
> have abandoned the school in droves, while
> populations of African Americans, Hispanics and
> Asians have either remained the same or increased.
> So who is anti-diversity?

I guess that would be the people who left.

Word, one thing that you don't get is that most middle class (not white) families of younger children in Reston fully intend to send their children to South Lakes, particularly because of the renovation, new leadership at SL and LH, and a generally more positive attitude in the community about the school.

You and others (e.g. Thomas More) can't keep dredging up old news as a way to argue against redistricting. You simply must understand that things have changed. If families are now committed, does that not tell you something?

With regards to pupil-placing, I was under the impression that in order to pupil place to an AP school, one must commit to getting the AP diploma. Can anyone confirm that and if it is true, just how many of those students looking to take just a handful of AP classes will qualify to be pupil placed?

I am not sure that your theory about pupil placing really holds much water. This same threat was made when the board decided that Fox Mill Woods would stay in the South Lakes pyramid. At first there were a flurry of home sales and pupil placements, but things have settled down and many, many children from that neighborhood go to South Lakes.

Posted by: We are all one county ()
Date: November 01, 2007 02:23PM

Really, I thought the pupil placement to Marshall was my kid's friend who wanted to take a language that is offered at Marshall that isn't at SL.....

Date: November 01, 2007 02:28PM

spanky Wrote:
> IB Good,
> You think you were tutoring the smart ones???
>
> hahahaha
> You are all morons. I'll have to tell my children
> not to hire your dumb a$$ when/if you graduate
> with your "IB learnin" diploma.
>
> Thankfully we have lots of restaurants in Reston
> to hire the SL grads.
>
> See you redistricted folks at Prep!

Real nice, 'panky. Tell me, is that private tuition really worth it? Actually, if your children learn to rit and cipher better'n you, then I guess it will have been.

Date: November 01, 2007 02:30PM

We are all one county Wrote:
> Really, I thought the pupil placement to Marshall
> was my kid's friend who wanted to take a language
> that is offered at Marshall that isn't at SL.....

Perhaps there are two. I definitely 100% know one is there because of expulsion.

Date: November 01, 2007 02:33PM

SLVerity Wrote:
> We are all one county Wrote:
> -----
> > Really, I thought the pupil placement to
> Marshall
> > was my kid's friend who wanted to take a
> language
> > that is offered at Marshall that isn't at
> SL.....
>
> Perhaps there are two. I definitely 100% know one
> is there because of expulsion.

Confusion solved. I just remembered that the student had been at SL as a pupil placement from Oakton, so his placement to Marshall would be on Oakton's records, not SL.

Date: November 01, 2007 02:38PM

Hey I believe there are alot families of all colors that want to support the school and I think that's great.

The main point about pupil placement is if you all would only implement AP this problem will go away. But there seems to be some religous committment to IB that prevents it from happening, and I don't understand that. I posted the link to pupil placement a few pages back. It is allowed. You could even be pupil placed for non AP courses like Sign Language or Japanese.

Date: November 01, 2007 02:48PM

IBgood Wrote:
------
> I have taken the IB math courses while in Europe
> and have a degree in mathematics. I also was
> offered a full scholarship at Mich State to do a
> PhD in Math without completing my Masters.
> I don't believe the IB program has been "dummed"
> down for the Americans so I believe that colleges
> do honor and accept it.

Our research to date suggests that IB is not universally accepted at US universities and may be quite restricted. Getting a straight answer from the IB website has been daunting given the natue of the entries. but you'd know that if you had read the prior pages in this thread.

I tutored students in Math
> while in grad school - don't even try and tell me
> that AP is superior.

I'm not but a SL math teacher who already had their PhD is. Again if you had read the prior pages you'd know that.

> Frankly if those 30 kids dropped out it is because
> they are lazy and the parents aren't committed to
> helping them.

You have no basis to cast aspersions on these kids or their parents. How dare you! Is this the kind of smug condescension for all things American that IB in europe taught you? Is IB a curriculum or a religion like scientology? Because that's certainly the response of a zealot. It also a great advertisement for the open mindedness developed by participation in IB that the IB website spends paragraphs and pages promoting.

> The scared AP parents must do their due diligence
> and truly learn about the program. Everything I am
> reading from these AP parents is that they are
> haters and are using IB as an excuse to sequester
> their children in all white affluent "elite-class"
> community.
>
> BOTTOM LINE - learn about the program and make
> choices based on fact not fear

We have and that's the source of these questions. Ignore them if you wish. But an advocate responds to issues and doesn't engage in ad hominem attacks on the questioners.

Posted by: resource allocation ()
Date: November 01, 2007 02:52PM

SLVerity Wrote:
> ...Confusion solved. I just remembered that the
> student had been at SL as a pupil placement from
> Oakton, so his placement to Marshall would be on
> Oakton's records, not SL.

Oakton shows 4 at Marshall for IB. That kid should be under other administrative placement if it was an expulsion - perhaps the expulsion period is over.

I think Falls Church is the most pupil placed out [5 in, 88 out]of school in the county and most likely has low numbers feeding out to privates. That thing is so under populated they could have tweaked boundaries, moved the Jackson kids into it, and called it a secondary school. Instead they built an addition on it and Stu G allowed Vienna GT kids to be shipped to Jackson.

Date: November 01, 2007 02:59PM

SLVerity Wrote:

> You and others (e.g. Thomas More) can't keep
> dredging up old news

Its relevant if the people who created that "old news" are still there.

> as a way to argue against
> redistricting.

I want redistricting. I want Aldrin. I want all of Reston's kids to go to Reston's high school: SL. And I want a South Lakes that's worthy of the kids that are sent there now. The current school is not. Until there is a massive upgrade in the instructional and administrative staff that Railly left us, it won't be.

Don't tell me to wait until the redistricting is fully implemented in 2012 and everything will be perfect. I've been putting up with it for 11 years and my kids will be long gone by then.

More Later

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2007 03:00PM by Thomas More.

Posted by: Old Timer ()
Date: November 01, 2007 03:03PM

SLVerity Wrote:

> Word, one thing that you don't get is that most
> middle class (not white) families of younger
> children in Reston fully intend to send their
> children to South Lakes, particularly because of
> the renovation, new leadership at SL and LH, and a
> generally more positive attitude in the community
> about the school.

Yep, that's me and my neighbors. We've seen how the older neighborhood kids are succeeding at SLHS. They're the National Honor Society students, the cheerleaders, the band "geeks," the baseball/football/lacrosse players, and they're all doing swimmingly. None have seen "gangs" or violent behavior. They've been around diversity longer than we have - they have no racial prejudices and have friends from all walks of life and every color spectrum. They're the ones who are quick to point out that no one has black skin, it's actually brown.

Neighbors didn't want to go to the elementary school either because there weren't enough "blonde" kids. Funny how everyone was in parochial school or other private schools. They're all in our elementary school now and LOVE IT! And amazingly, both parents and children learned important life lessons like "poor" isn't a disease that you catch and not everyone lives in big homes with two+ cars.

> I am not sure that your theory about pupil placing
> really holds much water. This same threat was
> made when the board decided that Fox Mill Woods
> would stay in the South Lakes pyramid. At first
> there were a flurry of home sales and pupil
> placements, but things have settled down and many,
> many children from that neighborhood go to South
> Lakes.

There are some people not worth responding too - spanky sounds a little bitter...That private school tuition must be putting a dent in the budget!

Plus all that phone time making playdates with "school friends" and car time driving to and from activities far away activities while all the other kids in the 'hood are outside playing together probably makes one a little bitter...

Date: November 01, 2007 03:25PM

SLVerity Wrote:
>
> Real nice, 'panky. Tell me, is that private
> tuition really worth it? Actually, if your
> children learn to rit and cipher better'n you,
> then I guess it will have been.

have to giggle at this. this board, by far, beats sudoku addiction.

Date: November 01, 2007 03:26PM

I have a friend whose neighbor had her daughter at pupil placed at Crossfield, and was steadfast about not sending her to Hughes. The daughter is now at Hughes and is the "happiest she's ever been". The neighbor is now "eating crow", according to my friend.

Yes, an inclusive environment can be better for anyone's child, not just black or asian. Many white children aren't "cookie cutter" and might benefit from a more tolerant environment.

Date: November 01, 2007 04:47PM

Cricket Wrote:
> SLVerity Wrote:
> >
> > Real nice, 'panky. Tell me, is that private
> > tuition really worth it? Actually, if your
> > children learn to rit and cipher better'n you,
> > then I guess it will have been.
>
>
> have to giggle at this. this board, by far, beats
> sudoku addiction.

See how fun we SL parents can be?

Date: November 01, 2007 04:57PM

Dear Tom,

We agree on several things, and one of them is that North Reston kids should never have been moved to Herndon. There are many who think Reston is a failed social experiment and they base that on their opinions of South Lakes; however, if South Lakes had the students from N. Reston, then the socioeconomic balance would be pretty near perfect. Unfortunately, our community has been partitioned and I don't think the redistricting decisions will restore it. At least I can suggest and hope.

Incidentally, Cathy Hudgins lives in North Reston and she has never done or said anything to restore the rift. I have had numerous frustrating conversations with her about the schools, glut of affordable housing in South Reston, etc. She is all about adding affordable housing south of Baron Cameron, but I have only seen her propose a handful of units in North Reston. I guess she wants to protect her investment while she throws us under a bus. I hope many of you are considering supporting Marie Huthala (forgive the spelling). She would be a welcome change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2007 04:59PM by SLVerity.

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: November 01, 2007 05:09PM

SLVerity Wrote:
> Dear Tom,
>
> We agree on several things, and one of them is
> that North Reston kids should never have been
> moved to Herndon. There are many who think Reston
> is a failed social experiment and they base that
> on their opinions of South Lakes; however, if
> South Lakes had the students from N. Reston, then
> the socioeconomic balance would be pretty near
> perfect. Unfortunately, our community has been
> partitioned and I don't think the redistricting
> decisions will restore it. At least I can suggest
> and hope.
>
> Incidentally, Cathy Hudgins lives in North Reston
> and she has never done or said anything to restore
> the rift. I have had numerous frustrating
> conversations with her about the schools, glut of
> affordable housing in South Reston, etc. She is
> all about adding affordable housing south of Baron
> Cameron, but I have only seen her propose a
> handful of units in North Reston. I guess she
> wants to protect her investment while she throws
> us under a bus. I hope many of you are
> considering supporting Marie Huthala (forgive the
> spelling). She would be a welcome change.

Is Hudgins in boundary for Langley, South Lakes, or Herndon? Forest Edge is near Aldrin and people in it's attendance area are closer to Langley than some of those bussed to Langley ... send the Edge to Langley? Is that any more absurd than the current bussing?

Date: November 01, 2007 05:13PM

> I thought his non-response was a tacit agreement.
> He did not object to that statement.

What's ironic is that Robert Bolt in his play about my namesake, A Man for All Seasons, has him say precisely that, but in Latin:

Qui tacit consentire videtur, ubi tractatur de ejus commodo - he who is silent is considered as assenting, when his interest is at stake.

Unfortunately for us in these circumstances that ancient principal of Roman law was overridden by our 5th Amendment which states that a person cannot be compelled to testify against themselves.

Thus, unless Stu affirmatively agreed, you have nothing to rely upon.

More Later

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2007 05:13PM by Thomas More.

Date: November 01, 2007 05:34PM

SLVerity Wrote:
> Dear Tom,
>
> We agree on several things

Yes, we do, more often than not.

> Unfortunately, our community has been
> partitioned and I don't think the redistricting
> decisions will restore it.

What makes you write that?

> At least I can suggest
> and hope.

and pray.

I could content myself with just Aldrin.

Has anyone put the RA boundaries over the Aldrin & Armstrong attendance areas to see how much of each is in and out of Reston. I'm thinking most of Armstrong is outside Reston's boundaries but all of Aldrin is in Reston.

If Reston were a town, the School division would never think of partitioning Reston's kids.

> Incidentally, Cathy Hudgins lives in North Reston

Nomenclature inquiry: Is North Reston north of the Toll Road or North of Baron Cameron.

I've always referred to North Reston as the part between the Toll Road and Baron Cameron and North Point as the part of Reston north of Baron Cameron. How do other people desingate these areas?

Date: November 01, 2007 05:47PM

Cricket

Following up on our bus counting from McNair south of the Toll Road exchange of a few days ago.

Only saw two buses this morning. Not doubting your veracity, just want to make sure we have the right count. Did you have a source for the 8 buses mentioned earlier?

One bus that I saw had 48 seats and was half full. Another had 36 seats and was 2/3 full.

If all 8 buses held 48 seats and were totally full its 384 to Westfield from that part of McNair. So obviously we looking at less than that number.

Still waiting to find out how many of them are free lunch. SLPP any luck on that?

More Later

Posted by: ibnutz ()
Date: November 01, 2007 05:50PM

Ive always considered north of the toll road north reston, but north of baron cameron is like north NORTH reston, i think that feeling comes mostly because it is in the herndon district.

Date: November 01, 2007 06:02PM

I guess technically people lump Lake Ann in with North Reston, so I will refer to North of Baron Cameron as North Point. ALL of Aldrin is in RA and about 50% of Aldrin.

The bonus of having those two schools in SL would be that Reston Youth Leagues would be better. Lots of NP kids currently play sports in Herndon, since they will be going there for HS. The partition not only hurt SL, but also youth sports leagues.

The problem with respect to redistricting is that moving those two schools will have more of a domino effect. However, McNair and Floris could move to Herndon, which would relieve Westfield. Incidentally, I believe Armstrong has Stuart Woods apartments, which house some lower income students.

Hudgins is Board of Supervisors, not School board, but she could have had some sway in uniting the community over the years, and she never did. Her kids went to Herndon. She made many housing decisions that did not directly impact her neighborhood or schools at all.

Date: November 01, 2007 06:26PM

ibnutz Wrote:
> Ive always considered north of the toll road north
> reston, but north of baron cameron is like north
> NORTH reston, i think that feeling comes mostly
> because it is in the herndon district.

Its still part of hunter mill district and not dranesville like the town of hendon and dranesville road.

there is of course no right answer. How people refer to places says more about them than the place I guess.

Posted by: ibnutz ()
Date: November 01, 2007 06:28PM

by herndon district i meant herndon high school, not board of supervisors/school board.

Date: November 01, 2007 06:58PM

SLVerity Wrote:
> ALL of Aldrin is in RA
> and about 50% of Aldrin.

I'm sure you meant 50% of Armstong. right?

> The bonus of having those two schools in SL would
> be that Reston Youth Leagues would be better.
> Lots of NP kids currently play sports in Herndon,
> since they will be going there for HS. The
> partition not only hurt SL, but also youth sports
> leagues.

Having coached/parented etc.in Rston Little League ("RLL") since 1989, it's actually the other way around. Families from North Point sign up for tee-ball with RLL because North Point is part of RLL's franchise area. The parents go to opening day at the Town Center Ice Rink/Pavillion thinking their kids will later become the South Lakes players who also march in the opening day parade. Only later did I break the news to them that they'd be going to Herndon High. They were uniformly disappointed. A few would later sign up with Herndon Optimist's Cal Ripken league but the vast majority stayed with RLL. What hurt these kids later was when they tried out for the Herndon high school team, the Herndon coaches hadn't heard of them but would know the kids from the Cal Ripken league teams. The North Point kids were treat like aliens at Herndon. Even the kids who played for HOYS CaL Ripken league were treated as "others" by the "townies" of Herndon.

As kids progressed in RLL, if the manager's son was going to HHS, the SL kid got sent to the outfield and sat the bench except for the minimum number of at bats at the bottom of the order. If the manager's son was going to SL the reversed happened. It was sad and we have Lou Zone to thank for it.

> The problem with respect to redistricting is that
> moving those two schools will have more of a
> domino effect. However, McNair and Floris could
> move to Herndon, which would relieve Westfield.

And if we can establish that the Westfield potion of McNair has low free lunch numbers, as I suspect it does. Then moving the balance of McNair into Herndon improves Herndon and moving Aldrin into South Lakes reunifies Reston. A win-win for both Herndon and Reston.

More Later

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2007 07:07PM by Thomas More.

Date: November 01, 2007 07:06PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> Cricket
>
> Following up on our bus counting from McNair south
> of the Toll Road exchange of a few days ago.
>
> Only saw two buses this morning. Not doubting
> your veracity, just want to make sure we have the
> right count. Did you have a source for the 8 buses
> mentioned earlier?
>
> One bus that I saw had 48 seats and was half full.
> Another had 36 seats and was 2/3 full.
>
> If all 8 buses held 48 seats and were totally full
> its 384 to Westfield from that part of McNair. So
> obviously we looking at less than that number.
>
> Still waiting to find out how many of them are
> free lunch. SLPP any luck on that?

My source is from the Westfield Bus Schedule. I don't think you can watch all 8 leave from one vantage point. They are scattered around Clock Tower, Woodland Park, throughout the communities on the Dulles side of Centreville Road and along Fox Mill Rd.

Date: November 01, 2007 07:20PM

Cricket Wrote:

> My source is from the Westfield Bus Schedule. I
> don't think you can watch all 8 leave from one
> vantage point. They are scattered around Clock
> Tower, Woodland Park, throughout the communities
> on the Dulles side of Centreville Road and along
> Fox Mill Rd.

Thanks I thought as much. I'll scout around some more tomorrow.

More Later

Date: November 01, 2007 08:02PM

Thomas,
Have not heard back from the powers that be about McNair south of the toll road. Wouldn't that be a nice solution for balance--Aldrin and Armstrong back in SL, and Herndon gets (the higher socioeconomic part of) McNair and Floris.

I guess we'll see about McNair.

SLVerity--Yes, vote for Maria! I'm tired of Hudgins and her predictably idealistic view that Reston should provide all of the county's affordable housing, and all will be wonderful. I'm worried that Maria and Spike will split the anti-Hudgins vote and allow her to win.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2007 08:06PM by South Lakes Pyramid parent.

Date: November 01, 2007 08:07PM

Cricket,
Which specific neighborhoods do you think are affordable housing?

Date: November 01, 2007 08:26PM

Regarding the scenario where Herndon picks up McNair and South Lakes picks up Aldrin and Armstrong...(and disregarding the politics of such a move)

Basically McNair compensates for both Aldrin and Armstrong. Floris not involved

McNair = 941 students / 134 avg class size (/7) / 538 HS 4yr class size (*4)
Armstrong = 460 / 66 / 263
Aldrin = 550 / 79 / 314

HS 4yr class size
McNair = 538
Armstrong + Aldrin = 577

Herndon population would decrease by 39 seats. Since Herndon has some of the McNair students already, it may decrease a bit more (my guess 50 more).

South Lakes would pick up 577 seats. South Lakes currently has 657 available seats. If you add in the Madison Island (approx 30) you're basically done with 50 to spare.

Posted by: VOTER ()
Date: November 01, 2007 08:39PM

hey folks my parents say
just vote next tuesday

get kathy smith out
no one will need to pout

get a newbie in
and we all win

you say IB
we say AP

you make me a seahawk
and i'll take a long walk

herndon/chantilly/oakton/westfield stick together
and we will weather
this storm.

take note...
get out the vote

NO SMITTY
would be no pity!!!

Date: November 01, 2007 08:54PM

word Wrote:
> Regarding the scenario where Herndon picks up
> McNair and South Lakes picks up Aldrin and
> Armstrong...(and disregarding the politics of such
> a move)
>
> Basically McNair compensates for both Aldrin and
> Armstrong. Floris not involved
>
> McNair = 941 students / 134 avg class size (/7) /
> 538 HS 4yr class size (*4)
> Armstrong = 460 / 66 / 263
> Aldrin = 550 / 79 / 314
>
> HS 4yr class size
> McNair = 538
> Armstrong + Aldrin = 577
>
> Herndon population would decrease by 39 seats.
> Since Herndon has some of the McNair students
> already, it may decrease a bit more (my guess 50
> more).
>
> South Lakes would pick up 577 seats. South Lakes
> currently has 657 available seats. If you add in
> the Madison Island (approx 30) you're basically
> done with 50 to spare.

Great work.

Date: November 01, 2007 09:51PM

And now for a little bedtime reading, the saga of Linda Jones continues:

2) At the end of Linda’s second to last season as head coach, as the season was coming to an end, a black parent of a black junior player turned to one of his white friends who was also the parent of another player and asked, in kindness and sincerity “Do think Linda’s a racist?” The white parent hemmed and hawed and finally said “ya I think she has a problem. She clearly has given preferential treatment to the Jones girls. I can’t imagine her putting up with that act from a white parent and girls for three years.” The inquiring black parent subsequently moved his family so his younger daughter could play for Westfield instead of SL.

A few games before, as SL had a 30 point lead on a team at the start of the 4th quarter, [yes, there was a time when SL girls had thirty point leads on teams in the Concorde District at the end of the third quarter] Linda cleared the beach. One by one the juniors were put into the game until only two guards were left on the bench: a white junior and the only sophomore, a black girl. At the next time out, the black sophomore was sent into the game. As the game wound down and the white junior was the only one left in her warm ups, the moms of the other players asked the white junior’s parents if she was hurt. “No, she’s fine.”, her mom answered. The question went around the parents “What’s wrong with [the junior]?” Finally, a black father’s voice was heard from the back “wrong color.” As the parents heads turned to see the Dad of the starting senior center, he was shaking his head, “I’m really sorry Linda’s like that but what are you gonna’ do.”

Whether this bias is conscientious or not, I cannot say, but the kids caught on faster than the parents. Over the last 6 years of her tenure, 3 blond blue eyed centers quit on Linda. All three would have started at any other high school in FFX. The last one went on to play college ball after sitting out her high school senior year.

But the Jones family fiasco tops it all. In 1996 Virginia Jones entered SL as a freshman joining her older sister, Candy. Both were short black girls with an assessment of their own ability that exceeded everyone else’s except their father’s. Virginia was immediately placed on the varsity ahead of several sophomores and juniors. Though more slender, Linda Jones had also been a short guard at SL. She was not related to these girls.

When the Jones girl’s were not given all of the playing time during an early season non district game that first year, Dad stormed into the girls locker room and chewed out Linda, loud enough for it to be heard in the corridor outside. This type of behavior continued for three years.

The Jones girls passed the ball principally to each other even when other girls on the team were open. These teammates of the Jones sisters included five girls who played or were offered scholarships to D-I programs. They didn’t need the Jones sisters to carry them. They needed the Jones girls to get them the ball.

The Jones girls had one particular competitor for playing time. X was a team player and a superior guard, certainly superior to either of the Jones sisters. Those two sisters made this poor kid’s life a nightmare with trash talk and physical abuse. She was white and during high school she lost her father under very tragic circumstances. The Jones girls never let up on the abuse and Linda did nothing to stop it.

Finally, in the third year of this horror show, Mr. Jones went too far. He went to court and accused Linda of assaulting one of his daughters. The charges were bogus. The parents of the other players unamimously stood up for Linda despite their suspicions about her racism. Usually charges against a teacher are heard in juvenile court behind closed doors. Judge Roush took the unusual step of holding the trial in open court. After rebuking the Jones strenuously for bringing false charges, she exonerated Linda.

The next day all of the parents, black and white, said to each other “Do you think this would have gone on for three years if the Jones girls had been tall blond centers instead of short black guards?”

The girls lost every game the next year and, eight years later, girls basketball at SL has yet to recover to the levels of achievement it attained before Linda decided to give Virginia and Candy preferential treatment.

I think Bruce was at SL during the Jones sisters fiasco. He was certainly there the next year when he sat on the screening committee to pick Linda’s successor as head basketball coach and many of the issues of Linda’s tenure came up during those meetings.

Maybe he just forgot all this history seven years later when he promoted Linda to DSA. Maybe he hoped we had forgotten but the players and parents who experienced those three seasons from hell will never forget.

Date: November 01, 2007 10:46PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> Cricket Wrote:
>
> > My source is from the Westfield Bus Schedule.
> I
> > don't think you can watch all 8 leave from one
> > vantage point. They are scattered around Clock
> > Tower, Woodland Park, throughout the
> communities
> > on the Dulles side of Centreville Road and
> along
> > Fox Mill Rd.
>
> Thanks I thought as much. I'll scout around some
> more tomorrow.

Your effort is admirable and I don't discourage the research. However, I do caution you (and others) not to spend too much time sitting at the curb or doing "back of the napkin" enrollment calculations. What is McNair today, is not necessarily what will be McNair tomorrow. And because of this, it would be unwise for the communities surrounding McNair to let it go anywhere without a fight. These same communities will face yet another boundary study in 08-09 with the opening of Coppermine. The make up of all schools surrounding McNair (Hutchinson, Dogwood, Floris, Fox Mill) could change in a year. What looks ideal to some, today, may not be the same tomorrow. Not saying it will be any less ideal, just not the same. Communities on the Dulles side of Ffx. Pkwy. will not have their blinders on when it comes to McNair. A good position at the end of this study does not lead to stability for very long. It just never ends and this is one reason why many people in these communities are pissed off. You would think that the county would be wise and tackle this boundary at the same time, since there is so much at stake. But then again, that is too smart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2007 10:47PM by Cricket.

Date: November 01, 2007 10:52PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> word Wrote:
> -----
> > Regarding the scenario where Herndon picks up
> > McNair and South Lakes picks up Aldrin and
> > Armstrong...(and disregarding the politics of
> such
> > a move)
> >
> > Basically McNair compensates for both Aldrin
> and
> > Armstrong. Floris not involved
> >
> > McNair = 941 students / 134 avg class size (/7)
> /
> > 538 HS 4yr class size (*4)
> > Armstrong = 460 / 66 / 263
> > Aldrin = 550 / 79 / 314
> >
> > HS 4yr class size
> > McNair = 538
> > Armstrong + Aldrin = 577
> >
> > Herndon population would decrease by 39 seats.
> > Since Herndon has some of the McNair students
> > already, it may decrease a bit more (my guess
> 50
> > more).
> >
> > South Lakes would pick up 577 seats. South
> Lakes
> > currently has 657 available seats. If you add
> in
> > the Madison Island (approx 30) you're basically
> > done with 50 to spare.
>
> Great work.

Glad you all got this figured out. And why would Oakton and Chantilly be included in this study?

Date: November 01, 2007 11:05PM

Cricket Wrote:
> Your effort is admirable and I don't discourage
> the research.

You are kind.

> These same communities
> will face yet another boundary study in 08-09 with
> the opening of Coppermine.

Does anyone know anything about this new school at Coopermine?

More Later

Date: November 01, 2007 11:05PM

Cricket Wrote:

> Glad you all got this figured out. And why would
> Oakton and Chantilly be included in this study?

Floris has to go somewhere.

Date: November 01, 2007 11:07PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> Cricket Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Glad you all got this figured out. And why
> would
> > Oakton and Chantilly be included in this study?
>
> Floris has to go somewhere.

To Westfield.

Date: November 01, 2007 11:12PM

What I left off the above scenario was this. Since Westfield would be losing 500+ students they would pick up some 250+ from Chantilly because they are overcrowded. Thereby bringing them both in line. These would have to come from the west edge of Chantilly TBD.

There will be scenarios that involve Oakton as well. Stay tuned.

Date: November 01, 2007 11:15PM

Date: November 01, 2007 11:18PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> Cricket Wrote:
> -----
> > Your effort is admirable and I don't discourage
> > the research.
>
> You are kind.
>
> > These same communities
> > will face yet another boundary study in 08-09
> with
> > the opening of Coppermine.
>
> Does anyone know anything about this new school at
> Coopermine?

Ask your developer friends, they should have some idea. And then ask Stu, cuz he does too.

Date: November 01, 2007 11:22PM

word Wrote:
> Coppermine -
> http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?ar
> chive=true&article=80209&paper=66&cat=104
>
> Note the reference to South Lakes.

Except the article has it wrong. The discussion doesn't start until next Fall (2008).

Date: November 01, 2007 11:27PM

Cricket Wrote:

> Ask your developer friends, they should have some
> idea.

How would the developers know anything about an elementary school? Developers often give the land and money for schools but they don't build schools

More Later

Date: November 01, 2007 11:41PM

since developers are giving land and money for schools, I think they know something about the elementary school. if nothing else they are the most familiar with whatever deal they cut with the county/school board. Oh yeah, and don't they help dream up some of those silly numbers the county uses to calculate future enrollments (I could be wrong) at impacted schools. You weren't too specific with your question. So possibly the article that word gave link to above has the best recent information. or google it.

Date: November 01, 2007 11:45PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> Cricket
>
> Following up on our bus counting from McNair south
> of the Toll Road exchange of a few days ago.
>
> Only saw two buses this morning. Not doubting
> your veracity, just want to make sure we have the
> right count. Did you have a source for the 8 buses
> mentioned earlier?
>
> One bus that I saw had 48 seats and was half full.
> Another had 36 seats and was 2/3 full.
>
> If all 8 buses held 48 seats and were totally full
> its 384 to Westfield from that part of McNair. So
> obviously we looking at less than that number.
>
> Still waiting to find out how many of them are
> free lunch. SLPP any luck on that?

so the rest are driving their nice cars to Westfield, right?

Date: November 01, 2007 11:55PM

Cricket Wrote:
> since developers are giving land and money for
> schools, I think they know something about the
> elementary school. if nothing else they are the
> most familiar with whatever deal they cut with the
> county/school board.

Typically, the school division tells the developer it wants a school site from the land the developer is rezoning. There may be some negotiation over the precise location of the school parcel within the rezoning but once there's an agreement, the developer deeds the land to the County simultaneously with the plat for the main roads, like Coopermine, being approved and recorded. After that it's up to the School division to do the rest of the construction on their schedule.

The money gets paid into the County with each building permit in the residential project. When and how the School division uses the money is unknown to the developer.

> Oh yeah, and don't they help
> dream up some of those silly numbers the county
> uses to calculate future enrollments (I could be
> wrong) at impacted schools.

No. The School division establishes those ratios and the resulting impact projections which have been consistently higher than the actual numbers county wide over the last ten years.

More Later

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2007 12:09AM by Thomas More.

Date: November 01, 2007 11:57PM

Cricket Wrote:

> so the rest are driving their nice cars to
> Westfield, right?

That's one explanation that could be tested by finding out where the student parking permit holders at Westfield live.

More Later

Date: November 02, 2007 12:12AM

Cricket Wrote:

> > Floris has to go somewhere.
>
> To Westfield.

If current Westfield students are grandfathered, what's wrong with sending Floris to Chantilly.

More Later

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2007 12:13AM by Thomas More.

Date: November 02, 2007 01:01AM

Thomas, don't you get it? The folks you are debating would love to throw McNair into South Lakes. Did you ever stop to think that everyone posting on this site who is anti-SL (and doesn't live in the SL community) can't wait to get rid of McNair? Does that not tell you something?

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: November 02, 2007 02:02AM

>>>My experience is that he listens very politely and then ignores you.<<<

Isn't that what they've all been trained to do? They are usually very nice when they tell you whatever you want is impossible or very nice and then ignore what you've said. The point, is they're very nice. Just like the phone lady.

Date: November 02, 2007 02:04AM

hmmm7,
What do you mean someone without an agenda? Someone running who has no thoughts about what to do for our students? I seriously doubt that anyone would run without an agenda. What would be the point?

Date: November 02, 2007 02:11AM

Thomas, it's perfectly fine in FCPS to be racist if one is racist against whites and has racial preferences for blacks. I am surprised that you were not aware of this. It is VERY apparent on the school board, and throughout staff. Affirmative action for Blacks, and whites can sit down and shut up. No teacher or coach will EVER be disciplined for prejudice against whites. It's very PC in FCPS.

Date: November 02, 2007 02:19AM

>>>Is South Lakes the only school that is currently under capacity that the school board feels the need to "fix?"<<<

Yes. There are at least two other high schools more under used than South Lakes, but there are no plans to redistrict at either Falls Church (692 empty seats) or Mount Vernon (792 empty seats) or Hayfield (543 empty seats). West Potomac has 219 empty seats.

As anyone heard that the CIP shows money for a new high school in the Dulles area? Apparently CIP shows money allocated for it, $90 million, so far. So why is South Lakes being redistricted now? Because Stu wants it? So it would appear.

One wonders why school board members don't care about redistricting Falls Church or Mount Vernon or Hayfield? Why is it that only Stu's high school must be redistricted, right this minute?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2007 02:23AM by Neen.

Date: November 02, 2007 02:37AM

Spanky said
>>>My children's education is far more important than "the better good" of a public school, particularly SL.<<<

I think that's exactly what many parents in this thread are saying. They won't permit their children to go to South Lakes. Period. Our school board should have known that would happen when they went down this road and prepared for it. Simply forcing people into South Lakes won't work. It simply won't. We'll be back here in 3 years when SL is still 500 under enrolled and still hasn't brought up the scores of the most vulnerable students.

Are people aware that only 75% of Blacks who enroll in 9th grade in FCPS actually graduate? Worse, only 50% of Hispanics graduate. While 92% of Asians graduate and 88% of whites. (Source is MSAOC report June 2007.) FCPS hides these numbers by only counting dropouts as students who drop out in their senior year, not all four years of high school. Putting more whites and Asians into south Lakes will help to mask the problems of low graduation rates for Blacks and Hispanics, but won't do a thing to help those kids who aren't graduating.

Date: November 02, 2007 02:45AM

>>>Stu G allowed Vienna GT kids to be shipped to Jackson.<<<

There seems to be a pattern here, Stu Gibson flat out doesn't care what his constituents want AND he has no problem wasting taxpayer money. Some 'representative' he is!

Date: November 02, 2007 02:52AM

It seems that the dissatisfied democrats will vote for Marie while the unhappy republicans, and those who are sick of hearing about transit and want ROADS, will vote for Spike Williams. That will allow Kathy to sneak through once again, with her goals of more 'affordable housing' for Reston. I was shocked that even as late as today's Post, Kathy is still has more low income housing as her number one goal. It sure makes me glad that I don't like in Reston. I do feel for families who have to live there. It's obvious that Kathy and Connelly don't care a wit about you.

Go Spike!

Date: November 02, 2007 03:10AM

This from StopRD:

>>> 21,000 flyers have been hand-delivered since October 27th<<< WOW!!! People REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, care about this issue!
That should cut into Stu and Kathy's votes on Tuesday.

Posted by: Sick n tired ()
Date: November 02, 2007 04:30AM

Spanky,

Which island do you live on? I dont know a single kid in my neighborhood who is not going to SLHS or whose family is moving to avoid that. Run away but quit shouting *fire`

Date: November 02, 2007 06:54AM

SLVerity Wrote:
> Thomas, don't you get it? The folks you are
> debating would love to throw McNair into South
> Lakes. Did you ever stop to think that everyone
> posting on this site who is anti-SL (and doesn't
> live in the SL community) can't wait to get rid of
> McNair? Does that not tell you something?

What does it tell you?

More Later

Date: November 02, 2007 08:14AM

Thomas More Wrote:
> Cricket Wrote:
> -----
>
> > > Floris has to go somewhere.
> >
> > To Westfield.
>
> If current Westfield students are grandfathered,
> what's wrong with sending Floris to Chantilly.

There's no reason and there's no room. Why don't we just keep Chantilly and Westfield and Herndon and Oakton as is? We are all pretty happy letting the Reston folks figure out their own fix within their own boundaries and leaving the rest of us out. It really is pretty annoying watching you all figure out the ideal scenario at the sake of all of the other West County Schools.

Date: November 02, 2007 08:41AM

Cricket Wrote:
> Thomas More Wrote:
> -----
> > Cricket Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > > > Floris has to go somewhere.
> > >
> > > To Westfield.
> >
> > If current Westfield students are
> grandfathered,
> > what's wrong with sending Floris to Chantilly.
>
>
>
> There's no reason and there's no room. Why don't
> we just keep Chantilly and Westfield and Herndon
> and Oakton as is? We are all pretty happy letting
> the Reston folks figure out their own fix within
> their own boundaries and leaving the rest of us
> out. It really is pretty annoying watching you
> all figure out the ideal scenario at the sake of
> all of the other West County Schools.

Just as it is annoying to watch you all talk about magnets for South Lakes and other ideal scenarios for you that throw South Lakes under the bus. Works both ways.

Date: November 02, 2007 09:06AM

Neen Wrote:
> hmmm7,
> What do you mean someone without an agenda?
> Someone running who has no thoughts about what to
> do for our students? I seriously doubt that
> anyone would run without an agenda. What would be
> the point?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was that I don't want someone in there who already has their mind made up that x school is moving to South Lakes while y school is moving to Oakton and z school is moving.....etc. I want someone who will actually listen to what people have to say at the town meetings.

Date: November 02, 2007 09:09AM

SLPP,

Right, and I get my turn to say it.

And even better from you and so, so ironic is that you suggest that sending McNair to South Lakes or Herndon is throwing them under the bus. Ha-Ha!

I can see and understand why SL parents and the Reston community are excited and invigorated by a change they see on the horizon.

Most of us are not. Change has been the status quo.

So yes, McNair might be thrown under the bus. Other schools will be thrown under the bus by other schools, other neighborhoods by other neighborhoods, half of a neighborhood by the other half. This will happen in your community too. I know I sound like a squeaky wheel, but I don't think you get it. If I can understand your elated spirits, then you can understand our community's bitterness.

It has happen far too many times in our area. No one in our area forgets the turmoil, the lost friends, the lost neighbors. There are still families who don't talk to each other. Still neighborhoods that send students to both Oakton and Westfield. More studies are on the horizon. There really is no way of getting out of a boundary study for a new school. So, we have more change to NOT look forward to in a year. Most of us would prefer to sit this one out. It is not complicated or ill-hatred towards South Lakes. I don't understand why you don't get that.

Date: November 02, 2007 09:09AM

Neen Wrote:
> Spanky said
> >>>My children's education is far more important
> than "the better good" of a public school,
> particularly SL.<<<
>
> I think that's exactly what many parents in this
> thread are saying. They won't permit their
> children to go to South Lakes. Period. Our school
> board should have known that would happen when
> they went down this road and prepared for it.
> Simply forcing people into South Lakes won't work.
> It simply won't. We'll be back here in 3 years
> when SL is still 500 under enrolled and still
> hasn't brought up the scores of the most
> vulnerable students.
>
> Are people aware that only 75% of Blacks who
> enroll in 9th grade in FCPS actually graduate?
> Worse, only 50% of Hispanics graduate. While 92%
> of Asians graduate and 88% of whites. (Source is
> MSAOC report June 2007.) FCPS hides these numbers
> by only counting dropouts as students who drop out
> in their senior year, not all four years of high
> school. Putting more whites and Asians into south
> Lakes will help to mask the problems of low
> graduation rates for Blacks and Hispanics, but
> won't do a thing to help those kids who aren't
> graduating.

I anticipate enormous numbers showing up at these town meetings. I wonder if the current school board actually thought they could sneak this thing through without quite the uproar that it has caused. I believe it is Herndon that is bringing people to Chantilly by the busload. Unfortunately, there is no such unified effort at Oakton, but some people are working to fix that. At any rate, I think it is going to be so much bigger than Stuart Gibson could ever have imagined.

Date: November 02, 2007 09:11AM

Neen Wrote:
> This from StopRD:
>
> >>> 21,000 flyers have been hand-delivered since
> October 27th<<< WOW!!! People REALLY, REALLY,
> REALLY, care about this issue!
> That should cut into Stu and Kathy's votes on
> Tuesday.

With more flyers to come! I think this is going to be a big weekend for flyer distribution.

Date: November 02, 2007 09:14AM

> Cricket Wrote:
> -----
> > Thomas More Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Cricket Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > >
> > > > > Floris has to go somewhere.
> > > >
> > > > To Westfield.
> > >
> > > If current Westfield students are
> > grandfathered,
> > > what's wrong with sending Floris to
> Chantilly.
> >
> >
> >
> > There's no reason and there's no room. Why
> don't
> > we just keep Chantilly and Westfield and
> Herndon
> > and Oakton as is? We are all pretty happy
> letting
> > the Reston folks figure out their own fix
> within
> > their own boundaries and leaving the rest of us
> > out. It really is pretty annoying watching you
> > all figure out the ideal scenario at the sake
> of
> > all of the other West County Schools.
>
>
> Just as it is annoying to watch you all talk about
> magnets for South Lakes and other ideal scenarios
> for you that throw South Lakes under the bus.
> Works both ways.

How is putting a great magnet school program into South Lakes throwing it under the bus?

Date: November 02, 2007 09:24AM

Cricket--I do get what you are saying. I feel for you that you have to go through this again and again. I don't feel at all elated that I have to worry about this, on top of the everyday worries about my kids, job, etc. That is more than enough. I don't like this at all.

But, you let all your frustrations at the school board out on South Lakes, like this is somehow our fault, like we alone created this situation. You all continually trash our school to get people riled up for your own political and PR purposes. You gather other schools against South Lakes, because that meets your politicaly purpose. Why do you care about Herndon, who actually has some Reston schools? You do only inasmuch as they are a political ally. You'd be happy to throw them under the bus if it meets your goals later. You are a phony to pretend you care about anyone but yourself.

We are frustrated at the school board too, but we are also mad that this is how you treat us. We all just want good schools for our kids. We've been attempting to find solutions that will work, that's all.

And I don't see any conflict with liking the diversity that we have at South Lakes and yet not wanting another underperforming school. I don't believe that underprivileged population should be overrepresented at any school. Maybe that's not black and white enough for you, but it is possible to have both viewpoints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2007 09:32AM by South Lakes Pyramid parent.

Date: November 02, 2007 09:30AM

All of you StopRD folks: Please stop saying that SL needs to fix its own problems without affecting any of you. None of our problems were created by us, but rather by this and past school boards. Get it!!!!! You have benefited from some of the fixes.

Herndon benefited! Westfield benefited! Oakton benefited!

We had no input when North Point was pulled and sent to Herndon.
We had no input when Sycamore Lakes was pulled and sent to Westfield.
We were ignored in debate over Crossfield.
We had no input on the hiring of the prior horrible principal.
We had no input on IB being brought to SL.

We have had more change than you Cricket. Quit trying to act so put upon. Sorry, I'm not feeling the sympathy this morning.

Despite it all, South Lakes is a good school and we have taken a lot of actions the past two years that are resulting in trends in a very positive direction. You all don't know what it means to be invested in a school. I promise you. We do. And we intend to see additional improvements.

I'm not even going to bring the R word into the discussion, but I'm feeling it this morning on this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2007 09:35AM by SLVerity.

Date: November 02, 2007 09:34AM

hmmm07 Wrote:

>
> How is putting a great magnet school program into
> South Lakes throwing it under the bus?

Because its better for the community if we are pulling students from a permanent cohesive boundary. They and their families will be more invested in the school. Period. Get it?

Date: November 02, 2007 09:39AM

Neen Wrote:
> Spanky said
> >>>My children's education is far more important
> than "the better good" of a public school,
> particularly SL.<<<
>
> I think that's exactly what many parents in this
> thread are saying. They won't permit their
> children to go to South Lakes. Period.

Neen, you've slipped and finally revealed your true colors. You don't want your children to go to SL even if they offer every program you want, right? It does not matter, obviously. Your POV is set and intransigent, and I think you just let us all know why.

Date: November 02, 2007 09:48AM

We representing SL are constantly asked not to bring emotion into the argument by posters on this thread, but what I see displayed here in the wee hours of the morning is pure emotion:

We are sick of change.
We are tired of the process.
Leave us alone.
Leave us out of any fixes.
We don't want to move.
Yada, yada, yada.

If you are all as can do as you say you are, and if you all believe in hard work and self-driven destiny like you say you do, then stop acting like victims. Do you really think your children would not do well at SL? Are they that fragile? Are they so unadaptable that they wouldn't make the best of the situation wherever they are? Would they not add many talents and perspectives to the SL community? Would they not bring their own values and study habits and work ethics? Would they not in time come to love their school?

Listen to yourselves.

I prefer this thread when the discussion is civil.

Today I am just angry.

Pages: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 189

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.