HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 189
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Seahawk ()
Date: November 15, 2007 11:34AM

Question for Neen:

If you are so supportive of students attending their community schools, as you are about Madison, do you support North Point Reston kids being returned to SL from Herndon? If not, then why not, assuming that AP courses are added?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high school redistricting-More Detail on AP/IB Math Analysis
Posted by: APorIBMom ()
Date: November 15, 2007 11:44AM

Professor David Klein was asked by Fordham to analyze the IB SL Math and AP Calc AB curricula, and rate them. He submitted a draft to Fordham that rated AP Calc AB as slightly better than IB SL Math:

http://www.csun.edu/~vcmth00m/IBAP.html

Fordham changed his ratings of the IB and AP math classes without significantly changing the underlying analysis.

Note, also, that the Fordham report did not analyze HL Math or AP Calc BC.

Date: November 15, 2007 11:47AM

AP or IB mom,
Do you have the link for the AP vs. IB document discussed at the PTSA meeting last night? Sounds very detailed and would probably answer most people's questions.

Date: November 15, 2007 11:57AM

I'm sorry, but I'm not in the South Lakes pyramid so I don't know what document you are referring to. If you explain more about what people said about it, perhaps I could help.

Posted by: nappy ()
Date: November 15, 2007 12:01PM

Seahawk,
Thanks. I agree it should be about the academics. It would be a shame however to lose out on participating in some high school sports or activities that help create fond memories if you chose to pupil place.

Date: November 15, 2007 12:01PM

nappy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SLPP,
> Say I want to pupil place for IB. I do not live
> in an area (at least I don't think I do) that will
> be affected by this boundary change. My concern
> would be that if I do this for the academics/IB
> program, would my child give up the ability to
> participate in scholastic sports offered by SL?
>
> I saw that there were some schools in PG county
> that had to forfeit football games because some of
> the team members did not live within the school
> boundary.

Sounds like you got your answer...I don't really know too much about sports.

Posted by: SL Student ()
Date: November 15, 2007 01:43PM

UHMM OUR SCORES HAVE GOTTEN MUCH BETTER AND ALL OF YOU PARENTS WHO DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AT SOUTH LAKES AND LISTEN TO MEDIA ALL THE TIME NEED TO REALIZE ITS JUST HYPED STUFF YOU [WHITE] PEOPLE NEED TO STOP BEING SO JUDGEMENTAL AND IGNORANT AND REALIZE YOUR ACTING LIKE CHILDREN.

Date: November 15, 2007 01:53PM

South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:
> FCO Parent,
> Pupil placing clearly has downsides--no
> transportation, your child is going to a different
> school than the rest of the neighborhood, etc.
> That's why most people don't pupil place. Also
> sounds like limited sports participation. Believe
> it or not, there are probably people in your
> neighborhood that want to go to SL, but are afraid
> to say so in front of the bullies at STOP RD. I
> know at least a few. They should have a voice
> too.

Yes, I realize it has downsides. I'm just pointing out that it would allow the people who want to go there to do so without all the disruption to the rest of the communities. I just hope that IF boundary changes are put on hold, those who wanted to change to SL will go ahead and do it, providing their own transport as needed. I know that a lot of seniors and some juniors drive themselves to school anyway. Another issue is breaking up friendships, but that happens anyway around here. Carson goes to three different high schools, Franklin at least two. I don't seriously think that enough people would pupil place to fill up SL, but whenever anyone says that they would like to go to SL, I feel like saying, "Go ahead!" If I didn't already have a kid at Oakton and have the worries about the math IB, I'd consider it myself. I believe that academic kids at SL probably have a better chance for college admissions and it sounds like a decent enough place. However, for me and my family, I'd rather keep Oakton all things considered.

Posted by: SL STUDENT ()
Date: November 15, 2007 01:58PM

Oakton Parent Wrote:
> Wow...
>
> "I am a South Lakes parent who was open to the
> idea of redistricting for the purpose of relieving
> overpopulated schools by bringing more students
> (and their families) to our South Lakes HS
> "community." However, after attending Monday
> night's boundary meeting at Chantilly HS, I have
> decided that I do not want my, soon-to-be, South
> Lakes children exposed to the immature, selfish,
> uppity, narrow-minded, ranting parents that I
> witnessed at that meeting. Please, do all you can
> to keep yourselves and your children as far away
> as possible from our extremely intelligent,
> diverse, talented, open-minded, and global
> thinking South Lakes students. If you are, heaven
> forbid, forced to come to South Lakes, I'd hate to
> think of the negative impact that your bullying
> personalities would have on our children. Oh, and
> echoing a question that I heard several times at
> the meeting, "WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO MY PROPERTY
> VALUES!?!?!"
>
> Your kids will never come into contact with most
> of these parents, since only a few of them can be
> parents of kids moving to South Lakes. Feel
> better now?
>
> However, any kids who DO go to South Lakes will
> "be exposed" to you, since you'll be around right?
> Not assigning blame, just an observation. How
> does this motivate those parents whose kids could
> be moved to feel their kids will be going to a
> good environment?
>
> A lot of people expressed a strong preference for
> "overcrowding" vs. redistricting. They also
> expressed that if the South Lakes boundary area
> needs to be enlarged, it should be done looking at
> all schools around South Lakes, including e.g.
> Madison, which is forecast to be overcrowded in
> the future.

You moron westfield, oakton, langley, and madison are both "around" South Lakes how about you look at the districting make before you open your ignorant ass mouth...geez! what the hell is wrong with you people you need to think before you say shit!

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: November 15, 2007 02:32PM

SL STUDENT Wrote:

>
> You moron westfield, oakton, langley, and madison
> are both "around" South Lakes how about you look
> at the districting make before you open your
> ignorant ass mouth...

Anyone get the feeling that this shows the level of education one can get from South Lakes? I will spend the rest of my day trying to figure out how 4 things can "both" be something... (not really, it is almost happy hour!)

> geez! what the hell is wrong
> with you people you need to think before you say
> shit!

Maybe SL STUDENT should review before posting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2007 02:32PM by SRE.

Posted by: justamom ()
Date: November 15, 2007 02:32PM

SL STUDENT Wrote:
>> You moron westfield, oakton, langley, and madison
> are both "around" South Lakes how about you look
> at the districting make before you open your
> ignorant ass mouth...geez! what the hell is wrong
> with you people you need to think before you say
> shit!

Are you a typical South Lakes Student or one of the high achieving IB students?

Posted by: Oakton Parent ()
Date: November 15, 2007 02:47PM

I sure hope somebody is pulling our leg on this one...

Date: November 15, 2007 02:55PM

For those who want more details about AP/IB programs:

http://www.edexcellence.net/doc/APIB.pdf

Posted by: Cheshire Cat ()
Date: November 15, 2007 02:58PM

Offended Parents (Oakton Parent, JustaMom, and SRE):

SL Student could have worded the post better, or thought before clicking, but I would not be so quick to judge all SL students. After all, were the Virginia Tech shooter or the cop-killer shooter typical Westfield students? Was the drunk driver who killed his friend the typical Oakton student? I don't think I have ever read anyone on this post insulting students from other schools. yet SL students have been insulted several times. One deserves it, but the others didn't.

For the most part, I applaud SL students for being involved on this forum. I have read many passionately posting here about their love for the school. I don't recall seeing any Oakton, Westfield, or Chantilly students posting here. Their parents seem to be more passionate than they about the issue. Please, don't now prompt them to post. I will be suspicious of any perfectly written ones ;).

Posted by: Oakton Parent ()
Date: November 15, 2007 03:17PM

My point was I have no reason to think that the person who signed their name SL STUDENT to that last post is, in fact, a South Lakes student. That post was factually incorrect, grammatically lacking and profanely offensive, so I assume its not from a South Lakes student. You can choose the name you use for each post, so it could be someone trying to spoof us.

But I do worry a bit that you thought it probably was from an SL student, who "could have worded the post better".

And for the record, we (or at least the people I talk to about this) understand that people from South Lakes are pretty much 100% in favor of the redistricting, for all the reasons that have been said here...South Lakes improves, and no South Lakes students get evicted. If I never cited that, it was only because I assumed it was common knowledge.

Date: November 15, 2007 03:32PM

Dear Oakton P,

I just took the post at face value and of course I did not agree with it for all the reasons you cite. I've gotten to the point that I don't want to assume anything on this site. I don't know any SL students who would have written that post and I don't think that the post is typical at all of our students.

Interesting story: Last year our pep squad attended a basketball game at Madison (my son included). Bruce Butler was there as well. Some of the Madison Parents (not students) who were sitting behind our section were not being nice. They were saying offensive things about South Lakes and my son felt that they were trying to pick a fight. One of our students suggested that all of the SL students just avoid confrontation and move en mass. Bruce Butler became aware the situation and spoke with Madison's principal, who asked his parents to calm down and/or move if they didn't want to be behind our section. He congratulated Bruce on the fine behavior and good sportsmanship that our students displayed.

I think that story is much more typical of what I have witnessed over the years.

Date: November 15, 2007 03:38PM

FCO Parent,
If you read the IB/AP document above, you will get a much better idea of IB math. All in all, IB and AP math sound pretty equivalent.

AP / IB and US History
Posted by: Professor ()
Date: November 15, 2007 03:59PM

For SL students and parents, I have heard that IB does not have US History as such. What is offered at South Lakes for US History?

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: November 15, 2007 04:31PM

>>>do you support North Point Reston kids being returned to SL from Herndon<<<

Nope, because that would leave Herndon just like South Lakes is now, very under enrolled, with very large population of low achieving students. That's just moving the problem from one school to another.

Date: November 15, 2007 04:37PM

Chesire Cat,
Have you ever been to any other sports event? Have you ever been to a college football game? Rival teams say awful things about the other school. They sing songs about how bad the other school is. No one is picking on South Lakes any more than they pick on any rival school at a football/basketball game.

I find it very hard to believe that a group of Madison PARENTS were trying to pick a fight with another group of parents. Why would they? Suburban parents don't get in fights! Sheeze. I've never heard of any group of parents in Vienna fighting with another group of parents. Sounds rather far fetched, to say the least. If it was old fashion sports rivalry, get over yourself, it happens everywhere sports games are played. No one is singling out South Lakes.

Date: November 15, 2007 04:40PM

>>>It would be a shame however to lose out on participating in some high school sports or activities that help create fond memories if you chose to pupil place.<<<

Why would you lose out on anything because you choose to attend another school? Those who pupil place into South Lakes for IB, are they excluded from participating on sports teams? Is that a county rule? If a student pupil places at another school, they can't play sports or participate in activities?

Date: November 15, 2007 04:44PM

SL Student,
I have to ask why you are screaming and why you do not use punctuation. It makes it very difficult to read your posts.

FYI, Your is a possessive pronoun, you're means you are.

Are you really a high school student? I seriously doubt it. You sound much younger and much less educated.

Troll, perhaps?

Posted by: slhs pupil placed student ()
Date: November 15, 2007 04:45PM

As a current student at South Lakes it is hurtful to read some of these comments. I live in the Westfield district and turned down TJHSST for the IB Program at South Lakes. I really encourage parents concerned about the academic quality to take a look the IB Program’s website (www.ibo.org) and look through the curriculum. I am sure that you will find that it the program is rigorous and for students choosing to pursue the IB Diploma, even more difficult than AP. The IB program at South Lakes is amazing, and the teachers at the school are great, in fact, probably that best I have had. Many parents are concerned about the school’s safety and I assure you that Mr. Butler, the current principal, has made a number of changes and enforced a stricter discipline policy; I have never felt unsafe at the school. In addition, parents concerned about the school’s environment should remember that every high school in the county has some problems, whether it is drinking, drugs, smoking etc.; those are present in any high school. I really love South Lakes for the diversity it allows students to experience, both racial and economic, which many people above me have also noted. In summary, South Lakes is a great school, now; the current success of the students should not be undermined by its past reputation and urban myths.

Date: November 15, 2007 04:48PM

>>>I don't recall seeing any Oakton, Westfield, or Chantilly students posting here.<<<

Perhaps they are too busy with studying to get involved with the childish antics that go on here.

Re: AP / IB and US History
Posted by: SL Student ()
Date: November 15, 2007 04:53PM

Professor Wrote:
> For SL students and parents, I have heard that IB
> does not have US History as such. What is
> offered at South Lakes for US History?

You are correct in saying that there is no IB US History class, instead, juniors take IB History of the Americas, which covers the histories of both North and South America, with respect to each other and other events around the world. Students taking this course are still adequately prepared to take the Virginia SOL at the end of the year. I hope that answered your question.

Date: November 15, 2007 05:16PM

Neen Wrote:
> Chesire Cat,
> Have you ever been to any other sports event?
> Have you ever been to a college football game?
> Rival teams say awful things about the other
> school. They sing songs about how bad the other
> school is. No one is picking on South Lakes any
> more than they pick on any rival school at a
> football/basketball game.
>
> I find it very hard to believe that a group of
> Madison PARENTS were trying to pick a fight with
> another group of parents. Why would they?
> Suburban parents don't get in fights! Sheeze.
> I've never heard of any group of parents in Vienna
> fighting with another group of parents. Sounds
> rather far fetched, to say the least. If it was
> old fashion sports rivalry, get over yourself, it
> happens everywhere sports games are played. No
> one is singling out South Lakes.

Neen, take a deep breath. If you had read the post, you would see that the Madison parents were being rude to the SL students. Yes, it did happen. Yes, the Madison parents told the SL kids to take a hike. Yes, Bruce Butler confirmed it. Yes, the Madison parents had to be checked by the Madison principal, and yes, parents do sometimes act like asses at sporting events, dare I say even Madison parents.

You really need to take a chill pill. If you would read the posts before commenting, it would be helpful. If you had read carefully, you would have seen that the point of the post was to praise the behavior of our students, not demean the Madison parents.

As to your continual quest to correct the grammar of South Lakes students, I note that you have been corrected several times for spelling and grammatic errors.

As to calling other people site trolls, well...what can I say?

Date: November 15, 2007 05:34PM

Neen Wrote:
> >>>do you support North Point Reston kids being
> returned to SL from Herndon<<<
>
> Nope, because that would leave Herndon just like
> South Lakes is now, very under enrolled, with very
> large population of low achieving students.
> That's just moving the problem from one school to
> another.

So why don't you support Madison Island moving to SL, if the goal is to even out the ratio of low achieving students? You can't have it both ways. When it comes to your schoool, you say that you don't care about demographics, but rather about keeping communities together. You want kids who play sports together in youth leagues to stay with their friends all the way through. Yet, you support Reston being split down the middle for the sake of Herndon's demographics. Reston Youth leagues have students from North and South Reston and they get split up for high school. So which argument is it today?

Regarding MI, there are already Vienna address students at South Lakes anyway. Madison does not need the 30/year students from MI, but SL could sure use them. Every little bit helps.

Posted by: Stephanie ()
Date: November 15, 2007 06:32PM

Hello everyone, I'm currently a student at South Lakes High School. I'm an IB student, meaning I take all IB core classes and an IB elective. I hold a 3.5 GPA and I'm an athlete in the fall and winter on top of everything. I'm amazed by what parents say about our school.
I attended the schools in which many of you are complaining from. Fox Mill, Carson, yes I came from these schools. Coming from these schools I will admit I was a bit nervous when I entered as a freshmen, I was quite afraid I wouldn't fit in, wouldn't make freinds, and wouldn't do well. But I was wrong. I've been challenged at South Lakes since the first step I took through the door.
And through all the challenges I faced, I excelled. I excelled far more then I ever believed possible.
And let me tell you all something, as I would tell my parents. We are all the same. We all see the same things at every school. It is up to us as students, as children, and as responsible human beings to say no. If we don't have the courage to say no, then it doesn't matter where we go to school, we will always be overcome by our obstacles.
It is quite easy I have noticed to pick on South Lakes. Yes, we don't hold records for every team, but look at the number of students that we have compared to other schools. And even with our small numbers we are spirited, and we continue to cheer on our teams.
I guess all I have left to say, is say what you will. We know as Seahawks how truly gifted we are. If we didn't have pride in our school we wouldn't be using our time at home to convince you of it over the computer. Say what you will about us, because we truly don't care. You are allowed every right to point out our problems, but before you judge us truly take a look at yourselves. No school is perfect, every school is truly far from it. Say what you will because we will continue on in the path we have always walked down. We will continue on to success like so many past Seahawks have. And we will always remember South Lakes. We will always remember how great of a school it truly is. So say what you will, say what you will...

And for all of those students unsure of where they are going, unsure of what is next for them, I wish you luck. I can tell you no matter what school you attend you will be welcomed. Oakton, Westfield, Herndon, Madison, Langley AND South Lakes are all fine schools. Everyone has the oppurtunity to excell in any one of them. So good luck all, and I hope you attain what you are fighting for so hardly.

Date: November 15, 2007 07:12PM

Thank you Stephanie. You are a credit to South Lakes. I don't need to tell you to ignore the negative comments. You clearly know who you are and where you are going.

All the best and I'm sure you will be successful, whatever you try to achieve in life.

Posted by: Doglover ()
Date: November 15, 2007 08:46PM

Your posts are amazingly immature. Your nasty comments are much like the other parents I had the misfortune to encounter on Monday night at the boundary meeting. Perhaps the kids from the other high schools are not posting because they do not have ADULTS attacking their school, their intelligence, their morales, or their teachers. My children will go to SL, and EVERY kid in our neighborhood who has graduated from SL has gone on to Ivy League colleges. Oakton, Madison, Herndon, Chantilly do not have a corner on the market when it comes to brains. And clearly, neither do you.

Posted by: Catlover ()
Date: November 15, 2007 09:22PM

Doglover Wrote:
> my
> children will go to SL, and EVERY kid in our
> neighborhood who has graduated from SL has gone on
> to Ivy League colleges.

WOW,..thats all I can say!!!...most kids in my Oakton neighborhood have not made it into "Ivy League" Colleges...how did the SL kids pull that off????????

Posted by: Catlover ()
Date: November 15, 2007 09:40PM

So Doglover.....are your really sure about that announcement? Because, truly, I don't know any of my neighbors who have made it into any of these... Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Penn, Princeton and Yale. So South Lakes is really something else!!!

Posted by: seahawk ()
Date: November 15, 2007 09:45PM

Catlover,there you go proving Doglover's point about SL people being questioned. Perhaps Doglover lives in a small neighborhood full of exceptionally bright students. Four children in my neighborhood of 58 homes graduated South Lakes last year, and all four are attending UVa. I'd say those are pretty good odds.

Posted by: WhatShit ()
Date: November 15, 2007 11:09PM

Dog lover,

You say that all the kids you know... that went to South Lakes... have gone on to Ivy League Schools. hahahahaha.

You might want to spend less time with your dogs.

Posted by: grid lock ()
Date: November 15, 2007 11:16PM

Stop whining about this bs. Just send your brats to school. Tell them to keep their mouths shut and their ears open. If they can make it four years without joining MS13 or getting pregnant then you have reason to be happy. F-ing yuppies.

Date: November 15, 2007 11:19PM

DogLover, The more I think of it, the funnier you appear. Using the, I'm a doglover, therefore, I must be a nice person.....I recycle, I give to the poor, I volunteer..... so, I'm not a racist...blah blah blah blah

Therefore, I have credibility.... WRONG.

We all love our dogs.

Date: November 15, 2007 11:28PM

Where to begin, Catlover. Last year SL sent kids to Princeton, MIT, Cornell, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Wake Forest, Georgetown, many kids to UVA (as many as Langley, BTW),many to W&M. I could go on. This is not to say that kids from other schools didn't get into good schools. I'm sure they did. Just that South Lakes does produce quality students.

Date: November 15, 2007 11:44PM

<<<Perhaps Doglover lives in a small neighborhood full of exceptionally bright students<<<

And they all choose South Lakes over TJ. Interesting.

Date: November 15, 2007 11:50PM

I love my dogs too, even though none of them ever went to an Ivy.

Have you all seen this?
>>>http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=90658&paper=62&cat=104<<<;

Apparently facilities and capacity are not driving this redistricting:

>>>"Strictly from a capacity and facility standpoint, I don't see a compelling reason for the boundary study," said the schools' chief operating office Dean Tistadt at a school board work session Nov. 12.<<<

Who knew? Even the school board didn't know that capacity was not the reason for boundary changes:
>>>AT THE SCHOOL BOARD'S work session, a couple of board members indicated they did not realize that capacity concerns had not factored into the decision to pursue a boundary study.<<<

Unbelievable.

Date: November 15, 2007 11:55PM

SEAHAWK,

You said,

"Perhaps Doglover lives in a small neighborhood full of exceptionally bright students. Four children in my neighborhood of 58 homes graduated South Lakes last year, and all four are attending UVa. I'd say those are pretty good odds."

Doglover's small neighborhood, full of geniuses? Was this some kind of government experiment? Scary.

RE: The 4 kids in your neighborhood who were graduated from S.Lakes and went to college... wonderful... were did all the other kids in the 58 homes go to high school???

Date: November 16, 2007 12:10AM

WhatShit Wrote:
> SEAHAWK,
>
> You said,
>
> "Perhaps Doglover lives in a small neighborhood
> full of exceptionally bright students. Four
> children in my neighborhood of 58 homes graduated
> South Lakes last year, and all four are attending
> UVa. I'd say those are pretty good odds."
>
>
> Doglover's small neighborhood, full of geniuses?
> Was this some kind of government experiment?
> Scary.
>
>
> RE: The 4 kids in your neighborhood who were
> graduated from S.Lakes and went to college...
> wonderful... were did all the other kids in the 58
> homes go to high school???

There were only four seniors in our neighborhood last year and all four went to UVa, so as I said, I think those are pretty impressive numbers for South Lakes. Every younger child in my neighborhood who is school aged goes to school in our pyramid and plans to go to South Lakes. There are no pupil placed or private school kids in our neighborhood.

Date: November 16, 2007 12:15AM

Neen Wrote:
> << full of exceptionally bright students<<<
>
> And they all choose South Lakes over TJ.
> Interesting.

Neen, not everyone thinks that TJ is the answer. I know many kids who forwent admission to TJ to remain in their neighborhood schools. One kid posted earlier today who got into TJ but chose IB at South Lakes instead. I suppose you will contemptuously think that she is an idiot, but as I said, TJ is not the be all and end all for all students.

I should have know you would latch onto Tisdale's comment like a rat terrior.

Funny, SLPadre said that Thomas Moore had his bones and he chewed them relentlessly. I think you are the same type of person.

Date: November 16, 2007 12:19AM

Neen, the arrogance of your comment regarding TJ just struck me. I think you really believe that only TJ students are qualified for the Ivies. What a sad comment about you.

I think everyone posting here with a child in 'regular' high school should be offended by your comment.

Date: November 16, 2007 01:27AM

Not at all. I just don't think that an entire neighborhood of geniuses, and ALL chose to go to South Lakes instead of TJ.

>>>One kid posted earlier today who got into TJ but chose IB at South Lakes instead. I suppose you will contemptuously think that she is an idiot, but as I said, TJ is not the be all and end all for all students<<<

I would say that she is most likely lying. So few kids go through the whole process, and the expense of applying to TJ, taking the test, doing the essays, then doing the resume thing, the awards sheets, getting all the recommendations, and then turn down the acceptance. In fact, I've never heard of anyone doing that. Why would anyone put themselves through all that if they didn't want to go to TJ? That would be a total waste of time, money, and effort. If they were dumb enough to do that, they probably shouldn't be at TJ.

No, TJ is not for everyone, it is for students who excel at Math, science, or computer science. That's exactly the reason why we need another good magnet program, for kids who really want to excel, but aren't math/science students.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2007 03:37AM by Neen.

Date: November 16, 2007 01:30AM

Yes, Seahawk, we know you offend easily, and want others to join you in feeling offended, but you have no problem offending others.

Where did I ever say that only TJ kids qualify for the Ivies? I didn't.

I was questioning an neighborhood of ALL genius students, who ALL got into the Ivies, yet not a one of these geniuses went to TJ. In other words, his story makes no sense. Sheeze. I have to spell out everything for you folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2007 01:31AM by Neen.

Date: November 16, 2007 03:15AM

any takers for
> the MMR program in exchange for a magnet?<<<

Perhaps you could exchange with Madison and their ED center, or Woodson and their deaf center.

It's not just South Lakes that has a special center.

Date: November 16, 2007 07:43AM

Funny that the parents bitching the most about their kids going to a crappy school are the same ones who will vote for Hillary. Just like the Clintons you are all for public schools and PC learning until it comes to your own kids. Then you want only the best or in the Clintons case private school.

Re: high school redistricting - TJ Stats and College Matriculation
Date: November 16, 2007 08:15AM

Need is incorrect about TJ. For the last several years, about 50 of the 500 or so students admitted in the spring decide not to attend TJ. Some attend private schools and some attend their neighborhood high schools.

I would not evaluate a high school primarily on how many of its students attended Ivy League or similar colleges. The Ivies admit many students because he/she has a "hook," such as being a recruited athlete, a member of an underrepresented group, or the parent will donate a million dollars. To varying extents, the same is true with most other selective colleges. Students rejected by colleges because they don't have "hooks" do not reflect badly on their high schools; sometimes they are far more accomplished than most students admitted with hooks.

In addition, many middle class students admitted to highly selective private or out-of-state public colleges choose to attend a Virginia public university.

Posted by: administrative changes? ()
Date: November 16, 2007 08:15AM

Stuff goes from south of 7 to Langley but nothing north of 7 flies south to Herndon or South Lakes. Now that they have strategic governance I expected mre - but am getting less. Plus the Langley addition concurrent with this boundary process for all intents and purposes PRESENTS AS RACIST.

FCPS is so creepy that on it's boundary location lists for driving directions it leaves off stuff that gives the general public easy quick ideas about the goofiness of the Langley boundary. They are Bowl America in Sterling and Woody's Golf course. And why isn't the part of Colvin Run that hooks into the Madison Island in this mix also? What about Field View near Aldrin?

Quote from policy 8130.5 on boundaries:

The Division Superintendent is directed to annually consider the need to make adjustments governed by this policy and to take the actions indicated accordingly. The Superintendent is authorized to administratively adjust school attendance areas, after consultation with the affected School Board representative(s), when any one of the following circumstances occurs: − an emergency or other overriding public need requires such a change. − new unoccupied housing requires reassignment to avoid school crowding or to facilitate student transportation. − less than five percent of the enrollment of each school will be affected, and analysis indicates the change will improve the operating efficiency of the school division.

Interpreting the above language to this inequitable and peculiar mess? The superindentent could administratively place Langley and Madison after consultation and MAKE THE CHANGE. The kicker is no one would care except the people moved...the proof of that is the majority of people agree with this redistricting process or incumbents would not have been re-elected. Consultation is not the same thing as agreement.

Something has to be done about some of these elementary schools as well - Aldrin and Armstrong are very much undercrowded. Forestville is overcrowded in reality since it has a septic system and is on pump and haul which is extremely expensive. [another case where they slopped down a mega million modular with no core change - Herndon -ie Tom Rust- was not happy when Strauss did this].

Flint Hill and Oakton ? Odd boundaries that need adjustment with Sunrise Valley included in the mix.

Re: high school redistricting - TJ Stats and College Matriculation
Date: November 16, 2007 08:52AM

APorIBMom Wrote:
> Need is incorrect about TJ. For the last several
> years, about 50 of the 500 or so students admitted
> in the spring decide not to attend TJ. Some
> attend private schools and some attend their
> neighborhood high schools.
>
> I would not evaluate a high school primarily on
> how many of its students attended Ivy League or
> similar colleges. The Ivies admit many students
> because he/she has a "hook," such as being a
> recruited athlete, a member of an underrepresented
> group, or the parent will donate a million
> dollars. To varying extents, the same is true with
> most other selective colleges. Students rejected
> by colleges because they don't have "hooks" do not
> reflect badly on their high schools; sometimes
> they are far more accomplished than most students
> admitted with hooks.
>
> In addition, many middle class students admitted
> to highly selective private or out-of-state public
> colleges choose to attend a Virginia public
> university.

I was not evaluating SL on the Ivy criteria. As I pointed out, I'm sure every school involved sends kids to the Ivy League. I was only making the point that it is entirely possible that Doglover is telling the truth about his/her neighborhood and that Neen and others were out of line.

Date: November 16, 2007 08:55AM

Neen Wrote:
> Not at all. I just don't think that an entire
> neighborhood of geniuses, and ALL chose to go to
> South Lakes instead of TJ.
>
> >>>One kid posted earlier today who got into TJ
> but chose IB at South Lakes instead. I suppose you
> will contemptuously think that she is an idiot,
> but as I said, TJ is not the be all and end all
> for all students<<<
>
> I would say that she is most likely lying. So few
> kids go through the whole process, and the expense
> of applying to TJ, taking the test, doing the
> essays, then doing the resume thing, the awards
> sheets, getting all the recommendations, and then
> turn down the acceptance. In fact, I've never
> heard of anyone doing that. Why would anyone put
> themselves through all that if they didn't want to
> go to TJ? That would be a total waste of time,
> money, and effort. If they were dumb enough to do
> that, they probably shouldn't be at TJ.
>
> No, TJ is not for everyone, it is for students who
> excel at Math, science, or computer science.
> That's exactly the reason why we need another good
> magnet program, for kids who really want to excel,
> but aren't math/science students.

Neen, you just proved my point regarding your arrogance. So if a student chooses not to attend TJ after getting in that student is 'dumb' and if one says she was admitted and chose not to go she is lying? Sheesh.

Date: November 16, 2007 09:03AM

Neen Wrote:
Sheeze. I have to
> spell out everything for you folks.

Yes Neen, we are ignorant and would not be able to function if we didn't have you making everything clear. Thank you for the service you perform on this site.

>>any takers for
>>the MMR program in exchange for a magnet?<<<

>Perhaps you could exchange with Madison and their ED center, or Woodson and their deaf center.

>It's not just South Lakes that has a special center.

Neen, do I have to spell everything out for you? I think the point that the poster was trying to make was that many here, including you, were proposing turning SL into a Western TJ. In order to make room for a magnet some programs would likely have to be moved out. Get it?

Date: November 16, 2007 09:44AM

Very good points, Administrative Changes. Thanks for posting that.

Posted by: Administrative Changes? ()
Date: November 16, 2007 10:44AM

I have just discovered the FCPS transportation task force has not been given copies of actual bus routes [ see the task force web site]. That is quite silly because those routes in conjunction with boundary maps would shed light on much of this or any other area requiring citizen input for operational efficiency.

From some on-line routes, I have just discovered that a bus rolls through the far south western Forestville attendance area which is Herndon - includes some loads with Reston addresses and then traipses into what now is known as the Madison Island then hops on over straight to Kilmer.

There's another bus that loads up Langley pyramid middleschoolers that live in Herndon or Great Falls NEAR HERNDON HS that lugs them all the way to Kilmer. Both of these are dedicated runs so in addition to bussing most kids in those neighborhoods all the way to Cooper near Langley, people are also stuck with bussing others to a GT center near Tysons - Kilmer.

Strauss/Gibson have us all paying for this. Some boundaries need to be changed.

Click, click on bus routes, then read 60 and 61 and weep. I want a tax refund on this:
http://www.fcps.edu/KilmerMS/kilmera-z/buses.html

Posted by: cheshire cat ()
Date: November 16, 2007 10:57AM

Administrative Changes? Wrote:
> I have just discovered the FCPS transportation
> task force has not been given copies of actual bus
> routes [ see the task force web site]. That is
> quite silly because those routes in conjunction
> with boundary maps would shed light on much of
> this or any other area requiring citizen input for
> operational efficiency.
>
> From some on-line routes, I have just discovered
> that a bus rolls through the far south western
> Forestville attendance area which is Herndon -
> includes some loads with Reston addresses and then
> traipses into what now is known as the Madison
> Island then hops on over straight to Kilmer.
>
> There's another bus that loads up Langley pyramid
> middleschoolers that live in Herndon or Great
> Falls NEAR HERNDON HS that lugs them all the way
> to Kilmer. Both of these are dedicated runs so in
> addition to bussing most kids in those
> neighborhoods all the way to Cooper near Langley,
> people are also stuck with bussing others to a GT
> center near Tysons - Kilmer.
>
> Strauss/Gibson have us all paying for this. Some
> boundaries need to be changed.
>
> Click, click on bus routes, then read 60 and 61
> and weep. I want a tax refund on this:
> http://www.fcps.edu/KilmerMS/kilmera-z/buses.html

That is very frustrating, especially since the Hughes GT center could easily absorb those students. I have always maintained that folks receiving special services should not be picky about where those services are located - after all, they receive them on the backs of others.

Unfortunately, that is probably a very small group of students, but every little bit helps.

Posted by: SLParent ()
Date: November 16, 2007 11:36AM

A couple of blog pages back the question was asked that if a student is people placed into a school can they participate in all activities and sports.

The answer is yes if is it properly approved. When athletes are questioned in regard to their eligibility to play it's because they are in a school district using another address and are caught not being properly placed through the correct channels.

We have athletes that are placed in South Lakes without restriction because they follow the correct approval process.

Posted by: VaDriver ()
Date: November 16, 2007 01:06PM

To Seahawk and all other the other SL homeowners:

Do you all understand some of us are simply considering the business side of redistricting?

All homeowners who are redistricted to South Lakes will effectively be donating $50-100,000 for a social engineering experiment. I'm an empty nester so save the lecture of "its all about the kids".

South Lakes homeowners have a win/win situation. I don't blame you one bit for promoting the whole redistricting effort and trying to stuff it down our throats....you are all highly motivated. You have a conflict of interest and if this nonsense goes through...after litigation....you'll be the happy recipient of my equity.

Posted by: FFXDAD ()
Date: November 16, 2007 01:11PM

OK ... this is my first time writing on this forum, although I have read through a few times. I have seen some positive dialogue and quite a bit of non-productive banter.

Today I read (page 46 I think) a comment from SLVerity, "Tell me Chantilly Mom, if your kids and those at Oakton, and Westfield are as superior as everyone likes to say, then why would they not improve the reputation of SL if they were to attend?"

In having read a few hundred of the posts, I am generally impressed with the thoughts and insight of SLVerity -- and am disappointed in this comment. While I am mildly offended by it, what other choice have we left SLVerity and others when they are constantly feeling attacked. The bottom line is SLVerity is the type of person that should be included in a solutions based dialogue - whether or not you agree with them.

I do want to address that comment though. Moving more (lets be realistic - SL has its share of strong students) higher performing children to a program that does not have the breadth of offerings might help the long term reputation of the school, but prove disadvantageous to the students who are redistricted there during the transition period.

Reality: A disparity in programming exists (its not worth arguing why). Hopefully the intent is not to offer any student fewer options than they have today, but find a way to offer a full complement of opportunities to all students.

Maybe, the questions folks can refocus on are:

How can we increase the options for all students (this means applying more resources to SL ... and resources are often tied to numbers of students)?

How can we provide the desired balancing without eliminating current or expected offerings for any student? there is no quick fix, but EVERYONE should be the same or better off when this is done -- so many smart and caring folks are actively engaged.

How do we maintain a positive community environment? (note there are many types of communities - TJ has a school centric one; Reston has a geographic / services one).

So folks know where I stand, I do not believe this current redistricting study is proper. There are many solutions that should be considered, including boundary evaluation. And that boundary evaluation should be inclusive (it is interesting that certain areas were "eliminated" prior to the evaluation and priod to ANY decisions being made). As a community we each need to look out for ourselves (Seems to bne lots of that), our friends (seems to be some of that) and the community at large (seems to be much less of that). The greatest challenge is helping SL get the programming and opportunities they deserve, without negatively (real or perceived) impacting others - can't we all put or energy toward that!

Posted by: CH ()
Date: November 16, 2007 01:15PM

Neen: > I would say that she is most likely lying.

I know this family personally and she did, indeed, transfer from TJ to South Lakes recently because of ALL the terrific things the school offers: outstanding academics and a wonderful social life among them. Furthermore, my son went to TJ and is at UVA with a dozen AP classes under his belt and 4s and 5s on all the exams, and my other son is getting an IB diploma this year, and guess who's going to be FAR better prepared for college? I'm amused at the incredible ignorance displayed in these posts.

Posted by: cheshire cat ()
Date: November 16, 2007 01:33PM

Dear Administrative Changes?

Could you kindly direct me to the documents you referred to in your prior posts. I would like to investigate further and was unable to locate the things you referenced.

Thanks very much.

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: November 16, 2007 01:35PM

50 pages

is this the longest thread or what?

Posted by: Verity's Proxy ()
Date: November 16, 2007 01:43PM

FFXDAD Wrote:
> OK ... this is my first time writing on this
> forum, although I have read through a few times.
> I have seen some positive dialogue and quite a bit
> of non-productive banter.
>
> Today I read (page 46 I think) a comment from
> SLVerity, "Tell me Chantilly Mom, if your kids and
> those at Oakton, and Westfield are as superior as
> everyone likes to say, then why would they not
> improve the reputation of SL if they were to
> attend?"
>
> In having read a few hundred of the posts, I am
> generally impressed with the thoughts and insight
> of SLVerity -- and am disappointed in this
> comment. While I am mildly offended by it, what
> other choice have we left SLVerity and others when
> they are constantly feeling attacked. The bottom
> line is SLVerity is the type of person that should
> be included in a solutions based dialogue -
> whether or not you agree with them.
>

Dear FFX Dad, SLVerity is no longer posting here, but I forwarded your post to Verity and was asked to thank you for the nice comments and also for the measured post. Verity also wants to apologize if you took offense at a particular comment and wants to assure you that it was posted in frustration and not out of any real animus.

Since you sound very knowledgeable, Verity is wondering how someone could be involved in a solutions based dialogue with parents from other schools, besides posting here and in addition to attending the boundary meetings. If you have any suggestions, please share them.

Posted by: spanky ()
Date: November 16, 2007 01:53PM

I want to pull my kid out of a public school ranked in the top 100 nationally and place them in one thats not even ranked, and is located in a planned community with delusional parents. I'm hoping he can make captain of the cheerleading squad, and could probably help ESOL students with the jewelry making elective.

Any ideas where I might find such a calamity?

GO SEAGULLS!

Posted by: BirdLover ()
Date: November 16, 2007 01:58PM

I have 2 daughters going to Oakton H.S.
Why would I want my children bused to South Lakes?

If I had wanted them to go to South Lakes, I would have bought a house in that district.

Here are a couple of reasons why I didn't

South Lakes has 33% of its students receiving free lunch.
Oakton has 8%.

South Lakes has constant problems with student behavior problems so they needed to add such "special features" as :

----POSITIVE BEHAVIOR SUPPORT PROGRAMS
----TIME OUT ROOMS

Time out rooms??? Sounds like pre-school.

Posted by: Administrative changes? ()
Date: November 16, 2007 02:15PM

cheshire cat Wrote:
> Dear Administrative Changes?
>
> Could you kindly direct me to the documents you
> referred to in your prior posts. I would like to
> investigate further and was unable to locate the
> things you referenced.
>
> Thanks very much.

the actual Kilmer bus routes are on the schools website under kilmer a to z. The transportation task force site stuff is on it's website which has a link on the FCPS school board page. That no route s given confirmation is under questions.

Go to the FCPS homepage for both . School websites are linked on the upper right and the school board is on the left sidebar.

As for recent posts here, the jewelry making is ludicrous at any school. FCPS shuld stop dillying around and call vo-tech VO_TCH, bus kids to it, and make South Lakes a normal AP school. Conversely, if no one will go it should take in about 150-200 kids/grade level from TJ. Run it like Montco Blair. Should I pay for renovating that public version of a private school?

Posted by: FFXDAD ()
Date: November 16, 2007 02:15PM

Verity's proxy ... I am unfortunately not very knowledgeable in this area, just a concerned parent.

My thoughts regarding a solutions based dialogue require first taking some of the emotion out of all of this (and all of the folks who are only looking out for themselves will likely leave). A collective effort to reframe the discussions from "should this boundary study take place" or "what elements should be included in the boundary study" to "how do we resolve the imbalance of offerings, specifically, for SL students" should take place. This shift can only occur if all vocal parties, regardless of their current position, pressure the school board to step back and recall what is important (at the end of the day it is not the school but the students).

If we continue along the current path, very few will win, many will lose, and even more will get hurt (at least emotionally). I would love it if parent groups from all of the schools got together, without the presence of the school board, to devise some potential solutions. (Before folks jump all over this and say that is what they are supposed to be doing, understand they have different contraints and potentially different agendas).

If folks put their energies into addressing the real challenge (which the school board has made near impossible), then a collaborative solution can be achieved. There were over four people years of work effort in Chantilly last week (800 people hours).

The bottom line - if we can get the board to step back and look at alternatives for the real issue, we are more likely to achieve some meaningful results. That may or may not include redistricting -- but it would certainly move us in the right direction moer quickly.

Most folks I have spoken to SL, Oakton, Chantilly, etc. are for a positive result for all. They are just feeling cornered into saying if they are for or against redistricting which should not be the issue. The positive of all of this is that there is greater awareness of this imbalance which is detrimental to SL students. The best way to resolve -- force a change in focus for the next meeting to one of solving the real problem!

Posted by: spanky ()
Date: November 16, 2007 02:19PM

Birdlover,
Thats why you are being redistricted - to even out the socio-economic inequity that is (insert school here) and SL. Instead of letting students "excel" (as previously posted by an IB student) where they are, they'd rather drag you down with them.

That is the public school conundrum.

Date: November 16, 2007 02:20PM

Re pupil-placement: Go to the FCPS website for info: http://www.fcps.edu/ss/student-transfer/index.htm. Sports in FCPS are governed by the Virginia High School League: www.vhsl.org. They want to stop kids from being placed ONLY because they are star athletes to boost the program at their new school. All pupil-placed kids are full-fledged students at their adopted schools and can participate in everything, just like everyone else. I pupil-placed my son to South Lakes from Oakton (actually, BOTH of us wanted him to go there) - we live in Franklin Farm, and I'll be pupil-placing my daughter there. Biggest drawback is transportation.'

Oh, and I'm going to ignore responses that sneer that this option is available so why do I have to send my kid to your school? This is about having a critical mass of well-balanced student population so SL can intrinscially have the same programming and opportunities now available at all the other schools, and so the lower achievers have a better shot at doing well.

I have access to numerous studies (and so do you, through the ERIC database online) that show that lower achieving students (who tend to be in the lower socioeconomic strata) do far better in schools where there aren't a lot of them, and middle-to-upper achievers do well in ANY school, no matter what the socioeconomic mix. Poor kids have less access to support and resources at home, even when parents support their schooling. They do better when there is available support and resources and opportunities for advancement at their school -- which means that the fewer poor kids, the more available resources to them in that venue. Studies show that when there are more choices for academic success -- such as more electives and higher-level courses -- the better kids do because the expectations that kids be involved in them are higher. Think about this when it comes to your workplace. There are many compelling reasons South Lakes needs an influx of kids from the middle-to-upper income strata. A

nd no incoming kids will be harmed in the making of this move!

I can't believe that parents who are concerned about the quality of education at SL haven't received the message yet that it is outstanding.

One other note: If you look at scores, please remember your elementary school math and what averages mean. Oakton et al. has a population of strong underachievers, too. Their scores are reflected in the average, and who knows how low they go? Is that YOUR kid? If not, then your kid will do well at ANY school. If so, your kid will need support and help at ANY school.

Re keeping communities together. We should note that this isn't one of the criteria established by the board, but it is a major concern to all involved. That's why a magnet program wouldn't work. Academy and magnet programs draw kids from various locations who often go for the courses and don't stay involved with the school. The issue here isn't having something "special." It's having parity on basic academic offerings.

Also, if a neighborhood is redistricted to SL, the kid would, in fact, be going to high school with their neighborhood friends.

I have three kids that have gone to a total of NINE FCPS public schools because of a move from Reston, TJ placement, daycare affiliations, etc. They have grown and grown from them all. They all have myriad friends from all walks of life now, and have retained a core group. My oldest son at UVA has best friends still from elementary school who went to several different high schools. Remember that IMing and text messaging has changed the world of relationships!

The most important task for anyone involved in this boundary change discussion is to become informed and keep an open mind and heart. We must remember that we are greater than the sum of our parts. Our school system functions well because it is supported by huge numbers of people who have no direct interest in it, and who care about the system as a whole. It succeeds because people understand how to compromise for the greater good.

Date: November 16, 2007 02:48PM

MESSAGE TO THE SCHOOL BOARD

Don't use my children to help band-aid your troubled schools. If you have troubled schools, it's your fault.

My children are not little pawns to be used in a game where the winners and losers have already been determined.

Date: November 16, 2007 02:48PM

BirdLover Wrote:

South Lakes has 33% of its students receiving free
> lunch.
> Oakton has 8%.
>
> South Lakes has constant problems with student
> behavior problems...

Let's examine this a little bit. I assume this person got the info from the FCPS "official" statistics. Or was it from rumors? Is anyone willing to make a million dollar bet that those official statistics are 100% accurate for all the schools? No? Is that because they don't reflect such numbers as the 33+ Madison HS kids who were suspended or recommended for expulsion two years ago, or the 14 Langely kids the same year? Could it be that SL was seeking to be as accurate as possible so it could objectively figure out how to address any behavior problems rather than ignore them or hide them? Could it be that SL has been aware of unrelenting rumormongering based on falsehoods and is trying to marry truth to fact? These statistics -- at all schools -- include such things as a kid talking back to a teacher along with, say, stabbings, so what do they really tell you?

Here is an example of this rumormongering: A few years ago, the Herndon Connection wrote that there was a stabbing at South Lakes. I didn't have kids there yet, so I called a friend who was a PTSA officer. He said the so-called "stabbing" happened when a Chemistry student holding a pair of scissors turned around and accidentally scraped a fellow student, who got a slight cut on his abdomen. She was mortified. That was the "stabbing."

Before anyone throws safety statistics and numbers around, I would be careful to bar the doors to your own glass house first.

Date: November 16, 2007 03:09PM

CH,

Glad your happy with your decision to send your children to SL. I'm happy for you.

I'm happy with my decison to send my children to Oakton. Be happy for me and shut up.

Posted by: CatLover ()
Date: November 16, 2007 03:18PM

BirdLover Wrote:
>
> South Lakes has constant problems with student
> behavior problems so they needed to add such
> "special features" as :
>
> ----POSITIVE BEHAVIOR SUPPORT PROGRAMS
> ----TIME OUT ROOMS
>
> Time out rooms??? Sounds like pre-school.

Birdlover....catlover here. You're right....can't believe South Lakes lists on its FCPS Profile under special features.... "Positive Behavior Support Programs and Time out rooms.

Bet they are special, indeed!! Just a guess here...but a Public Relations consultant would probably suggest NOT featuring those areas...especially during this review time. But, I'm very glad South Lake HS is so proactive helping students with discipline issues.

Date: November 16, 2007 03:23PM

CH,
Your post is great, but you can see that many here really don't have an open enough mind to hear it. Your energy and ideas can probably best be used elsewhere.

A friend.

Date: November 16, 2007 03:35PM

CH,

The figure is correct so we don't have to examine it a little bit.

South Lakes has 1/3 of its students coming from households either without any income, or with income so low, that they are eligible for FREE lunches.

RE: Behavior issues:

Why, CH, are there TIME-OUT rooms in South Lakes High School? Are they used for students? Or, are the students bringing their own kids to school with them? Time-Out rooms are for toddlers.

Date: November 16, 2007 03:42PM

Dear Friend: You're right. My energies can be used better elsewhere. It's so dismaying to see such a lack of compassion and so much solipsism. My parting thought is would they still believe these things if they visited our school, talked with our kids, and put raw fear aside? Would they actually say these things to our kids in person? See you December 3.

Date: November 16, 2007 04:00PM

CatLover,

The head honcho at the school board is probably on the phone with the minister of disinformation, yelling, "Didn't I tell you to remove those SPECIAL FEATURES from the school website. You've got 10 minutes to come up with a spin on this that's believable."

RE: Your love of cats....hmmmm.

Posted by: SLHS Padre ()
Date: November 16, 2007 04:13PM

And on page 50, the mindless chirping of Bird-brained contributors continues.....

Date: November 16, 2007 04:20PM

Admit it you just don't want your kids going to a school with large amounts of black and hispanic kids. At least with a racist he will admit why he doesnt want his kids going there with yuppies they hide behind statistics.

Posted by: I Told You So ()
Date: November 16, 2007 04:20PM

All of you SL folks should seriously ask the School Board to put the brakes on all of this. Just think how you'll be hating life when all those Westfield/Chantilly/ Oakton people (or wherever) infiltrate and take over your school. The PTA meetings will be most entertaining.

Seriously, think about it!!!

Date: November 16, 2007 04:34PM

South Lakes Pyramid Parent

I think YOU need to open up YOUR mind. People who bought their homes based on the schools in their communities are now are being told that their children will be bused into a different school district.

You, the enlightened one, have the audacity to call these people closed minded? Who do you think you are? You picked your school. Respect the fact that we picked our schools. OPEN YOUR MIND.

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: November 16, 2007 04:34PM

http://www.fcps.edu/fs/food/food_at_school/free_reduced/free_reduced-0708.pdf

that link is to the free lunch application. There is a box that can be checked for NO -don't have social security number for the parent/guardian. I guess they are the children of illegal immigrants because anyone else would have a #.

2 in household $25,327 , 5 in household $44,641 annual income

I remember reading the numbers went up - the cIP last year had South Lkaes at a litle over 25% and now it's at 33%. FCPS mails the letter every year and provides postage paid envelpes for the return - that whole mailing process is expensive and I wonder if parents actually are submitting it in advance at schools where for example the number is greater than 50%. Why spend money on the mailing?

Date: November 16, 2007 04:44PM

Re mailings: Postage is only paid on envelopes when someone uses them. (I just can't help shedding truth on things.)

Re link: The links are funky on this website. If you go to the fcps.edu website, go to site index, click on "P" and find pupil placement.

**SIGH** Folks might notice that no one at South Lakes is AGAINST any of the other schools. Many of us have actually been talking about ways we would love to celebrate and welcome our new communities when the time comes. The opposite seems to be true of some people from our neighboring schools. It's a shame.

Date: November 16, 2007 04:58PM

gridlock

If those black and hispanic kids you are referencing are the ones needing the time-out rooms, than I don't want my kids in school with them.

When will you liberals stop calling everyone a racist? Take some imodium, already! You've thrown the word around so much, it's lost its meaning. Reminds me of car alarms constantly going off in parking lots when no one's stealing them.

Posted by: Show me the money ()
Date: November 16, 2007 05:06PM

BirdLover Wrote:
> South Lakes Pyramid Parent
>
> I think YOU need to open up YOUR mind. People who
> bought their homes based on the schools in their
> communities are now are being told that their
> children will be bused into a different school
> district.
>
Dear Bird Brain,

No one, not one SLHS parent has ever advocated BUSING kids. Busing implies moving "white" students from their nearby school to a less racially balanced school to balance out a school's race. Conversely, it implies moving undesirable students from their closest school to a school with a more "desirable school.

Here is a busing situation - move Dogwood students (only the brown ones please!) out of SLHS and BUS them to Oakton. Or here is another busing scenario - move Waples Mill students from Oakton to South Lakes.

IS THAT WHAT PEOPLE ARE ADVOCATING? IF SO, SHOW ME THE POSTS/COMMENTS!

BUT here is what people are actually advocating. And let's take Fox Mill Elementary students as an example since some already attend SLHS. Let's move them from Oakton (9 miles away) to their closest high school - oh my, it just happens to be SOUTH LAKES (at a whopping 2 miles away).

It's not called busing, it's called logic.

>When will you liberals stop calling everyone a racist?

Here we get the thrust of your argument - South Lakes parents are liberals - ahhh, we get it now. Hey, do you know NEEN?

Date: November 16, 2007 05:12PM

CH,

You have a lack of respect regarding people who don't want to move their kids. You are not being affected. You chose to put your kids in South Lakes. We have not and we don't want our kids moved. This is being shoved down OUR throats, not yours.

Posted by: SLParent ()
Date: November 16, 2007 05:12PM

Why do any of you care if a student is on Free or Reduced lunch? It drives me crazy that this issue is a common theme.

I am with the kids of SL all the time (no I don't work at the school) and believe it or not actually talk to the kids. My own kids grades or test scores haven't slipped because of these students. Amazing but true.

They talk the same, they play sports the same and they behave the same. Just because someone doesn't come from a certain income family home does not make them a less desirable student.

I know some of you will reply to this email with a blanket statement about all SL students so "post away".

Date: November 16, 2007 06:05PM

Show me the money,

RE: Busing
I never claimed that South Lakes parents were advocated busing.

I did say that I don't want my kids moved out of our school district and bused, oops, transported to another district.

Re: the word 'racist'
I never said that South Lakes parents were liberals.

I did say that liberals have overused the racist insult and I suggested the use of Imodium.

RE: Birdbrain
Clearly you don't know much about birds. Their brains are actually rather complex. I'd be happy to direct you to some literature, if you'd be interested.

Posted by: BirdBrain ()
Date: November 16, 2007 06:10PM

Spanky,

Unfortunately, you are correct.

Posted by: VaDriver ()
Date: November 16, 2007 06:27PM

Why do South Lakes parents want our children so badly?

Posted by: OhReally? ()
Date: November 16, 2007 06:36PM

VaDriver,

Good question. They certainly want our children, don't they? It's almost a little scary. If they have such a utopia going on there, why would they be clamoring to get our kids? Weird. Very Weird.

Posted by: geturfacts straight ()
Date: November 16, 2007 08:47PM

please educate yourself before you slam programming at South Lakes.........Positive Behavior Support Programs or PBS is a school-wide discipline program with the emphasis on school-wide systems of support that include proactive strategies for defining, teaching, and supporting appropriate student behaviors to create positive school environments. Instead of using a patchwork of individual behavioral management plans, a continuum of positive behavior support for all students within a school is implemented in areas including the classroom and nonclassroom settings (such as hallways, restrooms). FCPS encourages and supports adoption of PBS in ALL of its schools! Teaching behavioral expectations and rewarding students for following them is a much more positive approach than waiting for misbehavior to occur before responding. The purpose of school-wide PBS is to establish a climate in which appropriate behavior is the norm. ALL of fcps schools have misbehaving students, students who engage in unlawful behavior as well as students who engage is age typical behavior such as cutting class. Focus on promoting SLHS increasing its availability to more advanced classes instead of misjudging it with your ignorance.

Posted by: OhReally? ()
Date: November 16, 2007 09:13PM

geturfacts,

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

VA driver posted a question.

WHY DO YOU WANT OUR KIDS SO BADLY?

Posted by: parentinsouthlakesschool ()
Date: November 16, 2007 09:36PM

We dont want your children. We have a good school here without your children.

We will get better programs if your kids come here. I'm not sure how it all works but thats what I know. And this way we all win.

Posted by: geturfacts straight ()
Date: November 16, 2007 09:59PM

I am not a SL parent. My neighborhood is actually slated for Oakton. YOUR Opinions, judgements and evaluations should be made based on fact not ignorance nor fear of diversity.

Posted by: Property Rights/Wrongs ()
Date: November 16, 2007 10:08PM

All of you that are potentially affected by a redistricting here, and are complaining about your kids being moved or your property values going down, are the ones who DID NOT DO THEIR HOMEWORK before buying your homes!!! Fairfax County has periodically done the same sorts of adjustments that they are talking about here for at least 40 years!! If you wanted to ensure that your children would go to Madison or Oakton or whereever, you should have bought a house within walking distance of that school.

If you want a historical example, the Annandale neighborhood of Camelot was redistricted in 1974 from the Woodson HS district to the Falls Church HS district, when Falls Church intially started showing signs of what was then a decline in the number of students projected to go to that HS. Many other boundary changes have been made over the years, with both new schools being built and with situations arising like that noted above.

If you chose to live in Fairfax County, your only "entitlement" is to have your children be eligible to attend County schools. You have no entitlement to which one! Shame on you for not having done your homework better...

Posted by: SLHS Padre ()
Date: November 16, 2007 10:11PM

OhReally? Wrote:
> geturfacts,
>
> BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH,
> BLAH
>
> VA driver posted a question.
>
> WHY DO YOU WANT OUR KIDS SO BADLY?

What is it about morons that causes them to do the UPPER CASE thing to highlight what buffoons they are?

We don't want you, because you would be even more insufferable in person, for God's sake.

Your kids might stand a chance, if they could get away from you for a while.

Posted by: PAL ()
Date: November 16, 2007 10:14PM

geturfacts straight

" I am not a SL parent. My neighborhood is actually slated for Oakton. YOUR Opinions, judgements and evaluations should be made based on fact not ignorance nor fear of diversity."
How are you "slated" for Oakton? Also, what area/school do you live in?

Date: November 16, 2007 10:38PM

>>>pressure the school board to step back and recall what is important (at the end of the day it is not the school but the students).<<<

That's EXACTLY the problem. The school board doesn't focus on students, they care about 'schools' and principals, and not the students. Ditto staff. It's a big bureaucracy. When did a bureaucracy ever focus on those they are supposed to serve? They don't. They focus on themselves, and their agenda.

Date: November 16, 2007 10:38PM

Property,

1974... That's your big historical example. You might as well remind us of the redistricting of the Indians.

You're not a developer who stands to gain from this, are you? How many pockets have you lined, so far?

Date: November 16, 2007 10:41PM

>>>>The bottom line - if we can get the board to step back and look at alternatives for the real issue, we are more likely to achieve some meaningful results. That may or may not include redistricting -- but it would certainly move us in the right direction moer quickly.

Most folks I have spoken to SL, Oakton, Chantilly, etc. are for a positive result for all. They are just feeling cornered into saying if they are for or against redistricting which should not be the issue. The positive of all of this is that there is greater awareness of this imbalance which is detrimental to SL students. The best way to resolve -- force a change in focus for the next meeting to one of solving the real problem!<<<<

Great idea! If only our esteemed leaders had done that from the beginning. Better late, than never. Let's hope they are as wise as FFXDAD.

Pages: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 189

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.