From: Kyle Miller
Date: November 6, 2017 at 4:07:03 PM EST
Subject: Federal Investigation Opened - RE: LBSS Sexual Harassment & Ensuing FCPS Cover-up
Dear LBSS Booster Club Members:
In lieu of tonight's LBSS Booster Club meeting, I wanted to make sure you are all aware of the following:
Per letter dated November 2nd 2017, the United States Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights has announced that they have opened and will be conducting a formal investigation of the events that occurred at Lake Braddock regarding both the sexual harassment that occurred during the 2015-16 season on the LBSS girl's varsity basketball team and the subsequent sham investigations and cover-up by FCPS administrators and the Fairfax County School Board.
Presumably, this investigation will include LBSS Athletic Director Karl Kern's involvement in the retaliatory employment action taken against former LBSS football coach Jim Poythress and all of the actions taken by LBSS Principal Dave Thomas in response to the harassment that occurred.
Two additional/related items for you:
1. School Board Member Megan McLaughlin will be hosting a community round-table discussion at LBSS this WednesdayNovember 8th from 7:00 - 8:30 pm in the multi-purpose room (enter at Door #17 just to the right of the front entrance). The round-table discussion will focus on the upcoming budget projections, the new superintendent's goals, as well as any other issues or concerns you wish to discuss (i.e. the just announced federal investigation).
2. You can also ask Principal Thomas and/or Schoolboard member McLaughlin on when you can catch the next presentation of Principal Thomas' "Bulletproof" professional development seminar - which has been wildly popular among FCPS administrators and school board members, Virginia Department of Education officials, and Superintendents and executives of neighboring school districts. Please see below for a previous invitation that was sent out that explicitly details the topics that Principal Thomas will cover in his presentation.
P.S. In case you missed it back at the end of June, here is the Washington Post article that details what occurred that precipitated the federal investigation:
5902 Sherborn Lane
Springfield, VA 22152
Cell - 703-244-3471
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kyle Miller
Date: Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 4:09 PM
Subject: Professional Development Seminar - Crisis Management Techniques
,SuperintendentBrabrand@fcps.edu, "Thomas, Dave" , "Atwater, Angela" ,Ryan.McElveen@fcps.edu,ilryong.moon@fcps..edu, "McLaughlin, Megan (School Board Member)" ,Pat.Hynes@fcps.edu, firstname.lastname@example.org
"BulletProof - Management Techniques to Survive a Crisis of Leadership"
Professional Development Seminar - Presented by Lake Braddock (Burke, VA) Secondary School Principal Dave Thomas - Time & Location TBD
Superintendents & School System Executives,
I would like to invite you and your respective staffs to attend a popular new professional development seminar being offered by Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) as approved and endorsed by FCPS' freshly-appointed Superintendent Dr. Scott Brabrand and its School Board Chairwoman Jane Strauss.
With the backing of Dr. Brabrand and Chairwoman Strauss, Lake Braddock Secondary School Principal Dave Thomas will explain and stress the survival tactics necessary to weather the storm and remain employed amidst challenging leadership environments when you are the central figure in Washington Post articles such as the article linked immediately below:
Principal Thomas' "Bulletproof"seminar has already been offered to all FCPS high school and secondary school Principals and Assistant Principals, and Directors of Student Athletics as well Commonwealth Superintendent Dr. Staples and his staff; based on the positive feedback to date, the seminar could be implemented as a best practices practicum for administrators in other school systems.
Principal Thomas will cover topics including:
- How to sandbag your subordinates -- don't let your staff hem you in with e-mails documenting your knowledge of events
- Lying requires a conscious understanding (or documentary evidence) that you "know" what you said wasn't true
- Don't let a moral compass dictate your leadership direction
- Remain fit in stressful environments by running from the truth and shed weight by dodging responsibility
- Co-opt your chain of command so that they become enablers and co-conspirators (See FCPSExecutive Management)
- Intimidate and retaliate against witnesses -- "dead" men (and those who sign non-disclosure agreements) tell no tales
- Capitalize on the craven nature of those with alleged oversight responsibility (See School Board)
- Embrace the mockery of a sham of a mockery that is the FCPSinvestigative and disciplinary process
- Never apologize -- contrition shows weakness and reveals recognition of culpability
- Sanctimoniously proselytize core values to mask the fact that you don't possess them (ex. Integrity)
- Avoid the "third rails" of employee discipline -- don't engage in sexual relations with your subordinates -- but allowing sexual harassment of students under your purview remains permissible
- Selectively adhere to FCPSregulations to your advantage while ignoring others
- Stonewall the community and outlast their short attention spans and limited interest in investing the time and energy to protect their children
- Stay anonymous and remain out of the media especially the Washington Post - any publicity is bad publicity - except for propaganda you promulgate on Twitter
- Remain brazenly arrogant and rely on the odds being infinitesimal that a student/community advocate has the wherewithal and dedication to hold you accountable and ensure the safety and well-being of FCPS students
With appropriate implementation of the described leadership techniques and tricks of the trade, Dr. Brabrand and Chairwoman Strauss are confident that high school administrators throughout Virginia and the greater Washington, DC area will be well-prepared to similarly survive events that should have led to the administrator's professional demise and assist school districts in being able to retain such top-shelf talent as Principal Thomas.
Dr. Brabrand, Chairwoman Strauss, and I encourage you to schedule a date and time that works for you and your staff to join us in Burke for a presentation by Principal Thomas.
5902 Sherborn Lane
Springfield, VA 22152