HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax chief uses staff cuts to raise teacher pay
Posted by: Tax and Spend ()
Date: February 24, 2014 09:35AM

Fairfax chief uses staff cuts to raise teacher pay
Fairfax County schools Superintendent Karen Garza has a history of cutting costs in order to give teachers raises, setting the stage for her budget priorities this year.
http://www.wtop.com/149/3568859/Fairfax-chief-uses-staff-cuts-to-raise-teacher-pay

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) -- Fairfax County schools Superintendent Karen Garza has a history of cutting costs in order to give teachers raises, setting the stage for her budget priorities this year.

Garza has proposed $41 million in raises for classroom teachers and staff. But the budget for 2015 also includes $96 million in cuts that would eliminate 731 staff positions.

The Washington Post (http://wapo.st/1bzV7qc ) reports this is a tactic Garza used before as superintendent in Lubbock, Texas and as second-in-command of Houston's schools.

Garza says teachers drive student achievement and raises are crucial because Fairfax salaries lags behind neighbors. The average teacher salary in Fairfax is $64,813, while the District of Columbia pays $77,512, Montgomery County pays $74,855 and Arlington pays $72,997.

Garza says she wants Fairfax to lead in pay within five years.

___

Information from: The Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax chief uses staff cuts to raise teacher pay
Posted by: dmxTW ()
Date: February 24, 2014 09:13PM

while the District of Columbia pays $77,512

but they are facists shooting each other with a high murder rate and are further in debt

but that's not adjusted for rent in the city v. rent in fx.

---------------------
but since we have a mexican runnign the school system

guess what ?

-------------------
so the answer, instead of going to congress and demanding they stop stealing

to steal more ?

i know how much teachers were paid when i was a kid bitch

------------------------
fucking bitch go back to mexico

Posted by: ode that ()
Date: February 24, 2014 09:16PM

how much are they paying poor white teachers from the usa, in mexico ?

with a bullet ?

no no seniorita

give my money fucking back

Posted by: geezy23 ()
Date: February 24, 2014 11:24PM

In pretty much every elementary school you could cut one secretary position, 2 FLES positions, 1 STEM position (not all schools have one), and maybe an AP position and have no noticeable impact on instruction. Zip, none.

Add in a SPED teacher position too. When I started in the county standard LD caseloads were 15 kids to one teacher and an aid. Now it's down to about 8 to 10 kids to a teacher and an aid.

That's conservatively 5 teacher / admin positions per school. Multiply that by $140,000 each (so says the county) and that's a whale of a savings.

I love FCPS, long-time FCPS teacher, and I'll be the first to say that we're over-staffed. And don't even get me started on everybody at Fairfax Ridge and Gatehouse. Good night, you could can hundreds of people from there.

Posted by: DemocratsTakeNote ()
Date: February 25, 2014 11:29AM

Democrats take note. This story has minimum wage consequences written all over it. Hmm, if you raise people's wages, then others will lose their jobs, unless there is a corresponding increase in revenue to offset the increased cost of the increased wages.And that folks is what we call basic math.

Posted by: NyKhE ()
Date: February 25, 2014 12:34PM

Q: a school has continual failure and is far in debt by green cards stealing run by a crime ring called "fx co gov". which teacher do you give a raise to , which to fire ? a) white b) hispanic c) asian

A: though none of the above is an answer i'm writing it down anyway: fx. co. executives and the principal

for continually over-spending intently and intent failures

Posted by: jDwT9 ()
Date: February 25, 2014 12:35PM

and for false accounting

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.