HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax chief uses staff cuts to raise teacher pay
Posted by: Tax and Spend ()
Date: February 24, 2014 09:35AM

Fairfax chief uses staff cuts to raise teacher pay
Fairfax County schools Superintendent Karen Garza has a history of cutting costs in order to give teachers raises, setting the stage for her budget priorities this year.
http://www.wtop.com/149/3568859/Fairfax-chief-uses-staff-cuts-to-raise-teacher-pay

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) -- Fairfax County schools Superintendent Karen Garza has a history of cutting costs in order to give teachers raises, setting the stage for her budget priorities this year.

Garza has proposed $41 million in raises for classroom teachers and staff. But the budget for 2015 also includes $96 million in cuts that would eliminate 731 staff positions.

The Washington Post (http://wapo.st/1bzV7qc ) reports this is a tactic Garza used before as superintendent in Lubbock, Texas and as second-in-command of Houston's schools.

Garza says teachers drive student achievement and raises are crucial because Fairfax salaries lags behind neighbors. The average teacher salary in Fairfax is $64,813, while the District of Columbia pays $77,512, Montgomery County pays $74,855 and Arlington pays $72,997.

Garza says she wants Fairfax to lead in pay within five years.

___

Information from: The Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com

Re: Fairfax chief uses staff cuts to raise teacher pay
Posted by: dmxTW ()
Date: February 24, 2014 09:13PM

while the District of Columbia pays $77,512

but they are facists shooting each other with a high murder rate and are further in debt

but that's not adjusted for rent in the city v. rent in fx.

---------------------
but since we have a mexican runnign the school system

guess what ?

-------------------
so the answer, instead of going to congress and demanding they stop stealing

to steal more ?

i know how much teachers were paid when i was a kid bitch

------------------------
fucking bitch go back to mexico

Posted by: ode that ()
Date: February 24, 2014 09:16PM

how much are they paying poor white teachers from the usa, in mexico ?

with a bullet ?

no no seniorita

give my money fucking back

Posted by: geezy23 ()
Date: February 24, 2014 11:24PM

In pretty much every elementary school you could cut one secretary position, 2 FLES positions, 1 STEM position (not all schools have one), and maybe an AP position and have no noticeable impact on instruction. Zip, none.

Add in a SPED teacher position too. When I started in the county standard LD caseloads were 15 kids to one teacher and an aid. Now it's down to about 8 to 10 kids to a teacher and an aid.

That's conservatively 5 teacher / admin positions per school. Multiply that by $140,000 each (so says the county) and that's a whale of a savings.

I love FCPS, long-time FCPS teacher, and I'll be the first to say that we're over-staffed. And don't even get me started on everybody at Fairfax Ridge and Gatehouse. Good night, you could can hundreds of people from there.

Posted by: DemocratsTakeNote ()
Date: February 25, 2014 11:29AM

Democrats take note. This story has minimum wage consequences written all over it. Hmm, if you raise people's wages, then others will lose their jobs, unless there is a corresponding increase in revenue to offset the increased cost of the increased wages.And that folks is what we call basic math.

Posted by: NyKhE ()
Date: February 25, 2014 12:34PM

Q: a school has continual failure and is far in debt by green cards stealing run by a crime ring called "fx co gov". which teacher do you give a raise to , which to fire ? a) white b) hispanic c) asian

A: though none of the above is an answer i'm writing it down anyway: fx. co. executives and the principal

for continually over-spending intently and intent failures

Posted by: jDwT9 ()
Date: February 25, 2014 12:35PM

and for false accounting

This forum powered by Phorum.