HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 1234AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 4
Trummer's on Main
Posted by: CliftonResident ()
Date: August 16, 2008 08:36PM

This was previously in the Winery in Clifton thread, but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Here's the word on the restaurant that will be opening in the space that used to be the Hermitage:

Trummers on Main (formerly the Hermitage) restaurant
will open in November 2008. The restaurant will offer guests a completely
new dining experience with an extensive wine cellar and wine dining room, a
bar and lounge with creative cocktails and an elevator for guests to easily
access all three floors. The cuisine will be creative American with a focus
on using products from local farms and waters. Victoria Trummer says "We
look forward to serving the Clifton Community!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trummer's on Main
Date: August 19, 2008 07:38AM

This is the dude opening Trummer's on Main in Clifton. Sounds like some interesting things might be coming!

http://stefantrummer.com/

Posted by: dgclemsonqt ()
Date: October 12, 2008 07:48PM

I just wanted to know if any one had any contact information for the Trummers on Main yet?
Thanks

CliftonResident Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This was previously in the Winery in Clifton
> thread, but I thought it deserved it's own
> thread.
>
>
> Here's the word on the restaurant that will be
> opening in the space that used to be the
> Hermitage:
>
> Trummers on Main (formerly the Hermitage)
> restaurant
> will open in November 2008. The restaurant will
> offer guests a completely
> new dining experience with an extensive wine
> cellar and wine dining room, a
> bar and lounge with creative cocktails and an
> elevator for guests to easily
> access all three floors. The cuisine will be
> creative American with a focus
> on using products from local farms and waters.
> Victoria Trummer says "We
> look forward to serving the Clifton Community!"

Posted by: MILF ()
Date: October 12, 2008 10:06PM

I know the owner, Stefan and his wife (daughter of the owner). They were at Clifton Day today giving info about the restaurant out front. The opening has been delayed unfortunately because of a permit issue...but should be opening in the Spring. The restaurant is going to be awesome- their food is DELISH!!

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: October 13, 2008 12:08AM

MILF Wrote:
> I know the owner, Stefan and his wife (daughter of
> the owner). They were at Clifton Day today giving
> info about the restaurant out front. The opening
> has been delayed unfortunately because of a permit
> issue...but should be opening in the Spring. The
> restaurant is going to be awesome- their food is
> DELISH!!

The dude is married to his daughter?

Posted by: MILF ()
Date: October 13, 2008 01:02PM

LOL- no, sorry...I reread that and it sounded bad- hehe. I know the owner (investor) be bought it for his daughter and Stefan (they are married). Both have culinary degrees and a lot of experience. The owner (investor) doesnt have a culinary degree but he is a very talented chef himself. I highly doubt anyone is going to be disappointed with this place! ;-)

Posted by: CP ()
Date: December 01, 2008 01:47PM

I cannot wait to get to this place. It looks like it's going to be a truly unique dining experience that shouldn't be missed. I've heard a lot of amazing things about the Trummers and I can't wait to see what they bring to the community!

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: December 01, 2008 03:06PM

CP Wrote:
> I cannot wait to get to this place. It looks like
> it's going to be a truly unique dining experience
> that shouldn't be missed. I've heard a lot of
> amazing things about the Trummers and I can't wait
> to see what they bring to the community!
Signed, Mr. Truummer

Date: December 08, 2008 07:54AM

Trummer's on Main
Newly Restored Restaurant in Historic Clifton, VA
Taking a step back in time, Paradigm is proud to be a part of the restoration of the historical Clifton Hotel at 7134 Main Street in quaint Clifton, VA. First constructed in 1869, the building has served several former Presidents and has been a center of social activity in Fairfax County since the early 1900's.

Paradigm Building Group is presently remodeling this historical treasure into the area's newest premiere resturant - Trummer's on Main. As the general contractor, Paradigm is completely renovating the original structure transforming all three levels, including a unique bar and dining area as well as the addition of a new underground wine cellar which will hold 8,000 - 10,000 bottles. Trummer's on Main is sure to be the perfect venue for your next private event.

http://www.paradigmbuildinggroup.com/trummers_on_main.php
Attachments:
trummers-side.jpg

Posted by: VJC ()
Date: December 26, 2008 07:53PM

I was given a Hermitage Gift Certificate for Christmas 2007. Couldn't use it in 2008 due to closure. Will Trummer's honor it" Please advise.

Posted by: Chica ()
Date: December 27, 2008 12:28PM

That decision would probably be up to the Trummer family. I would imagine when it opens, they would like the business and try to build up good will and would honor it. Thats just my opinion.

It looks like it will be a while before they open though. The interior is being totally renovated. It appears there is still lots of work to be done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 12:29PM by Chica.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: December 27, 2008 02:03PM

Thank you for posting this. I will definitely try this place. I have been to the Hermitage about three times and each meal was memorable.

Trickie

s
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: December 27, 2008 02:22PM

s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 08:55PM by inkahootz.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: December 29, 2008 12:52AM

VJC Wrote:
> I was given a Hermitage Gift Certificate for
> Christmas 2007. Couldn't use it in 2008 due to
> closure. Will Trummer's honor it" Please advise.

Highly unlikely.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: December 29, 2008 08:47AM

I didn't realize that Clifton is the last republican stronghold left in NOVA (According to Wash Post). Interesting.

Date: December 29, 2008 08:54AM

I think it's changing faster than some think. The Democratic Women of Clifton group was formed a couple of years ago and seems to have pretty good membership and I certainly saw my share of Obama signs this year. Here is the link to the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/27/AR2008122700616.html

496 Wrote:
> I didn't realize that Clifton is the last
> republican stronghold left in NOVA (According to
> Wash Post). Interesting.

Posted by: Barbara Richard ()
Date: January 01, 2009 01:16AM

We had our wedding reception at the Hermitage Inn May 2001. Robin was the restaurants event planner. She was wonderful, the place was a perfect setting, the food was fantastic. I believe someone named Steve was the chef. We went back a few times after before the new management took over and Robin left.. After we went again it wasn't the same. Since it had been such a long time I had planned on going for Christmas Eve this year only to hear it was closed. I was sad to hear this. First thing I thought of was if the new owners tossed the copies of wedding albums and photo's couples had left who had receptions there. We left ours because we wanted future couples to see how great it was... After reading other reviews here I have to say I do look forward to the new opening of Trummer's on Main. We will go mainly out of curiosity. To see the changes made, but I hope the food and wine convinces us to go often.

Posted by: Wendy Romano ()
Date: January 01, 2009 03:47PM

I was hoping to come celebrate my 30th Wedding Anniversary on 1/6/09 at Trummer's on Main. I am disapointed that you guys are not open yet but thank goodness for so many good restaurants here in the Arlington/DC area.

I look forward to "Trummer's on Main" opening in the new year :) I hope that you have lots of nice advertising/pictures/menu choices available to people like me - who would prefer the convenience of making an on-line reservation moving forward together:) Thanks so much and all the best to you and your staff in the New Year!

Cheers,

Wendy

Date: January 01, 2009 05:19PM

We had our reception there too and I agree that Robin did a great job. I am looking forward to trying it under the new ownership...

Barbara Richard Wrote:
> We had our wedding reception at the Hermitage Inn
> May 2001. Robin was the restaurants event planner.
> She was wonderful, the place was a perfect
> setting, the food was fantastic. I believe someone
> named Steve was the chef. We went back a few times
> after before the new management took over and
> Robin left.. After we went again it wasn't the
> same. Since it had been such a long time I had
> planned on going for Christmas Eve this year only
> to hear it was closed. I was sad to hear this.
> First thing I thought of was if the new owners
> tossed the copies of wedding albums and photo's
> couples had left who had receptions there. We left
> ours because we wanted future couples to see how
> great it was... After reading other reviews here I
> have to say I do look forward to the new opening
> of Trummer's on Main. We will go mainly out of
> curiosity. To see the changes made, but I hope the
> food and wine convinces us to go often.

Date: January 01, 2009 07:58PM

CliftonResident Wrote:
> We had our reception there too and I agree that
> Robin did a great job. I am looking forward to
> trying it under the new ownership...

You're going to get married again to try it under the new management?? Wow, that's hardcore!

Same guy or different guy?

Oh well, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials...let us know where you're registered!

Date: January 01, 2009 08:05PM

Droll Fred, very droll.

tubby Wrote:
> CliftonResident Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We had our reception there too and I agree that
> > Robin did a great job. I am looking forward to
> > trying it under the new ownership...
>
>
> You're going to get married again to try it under
> the new management?? Wow, that's hardcore!
>
> Same guy or different guy?
>
> Oh well, congratulations on your upcoming
> nuptials...let us know where you're registered!
Attachments:
Wilma%20Flintstone.gif

Posted by: Olo ()
Date: January 21, 2009 01:27AM

Can't wait till opeaning day!

Date: January 21, 2009 07:02AM

You may need to wait a while. I drove by this morning and they don't seem to be progressing that quickly. The interior is still down to studs on the main floor.

Olo Wrote:
> Can't wait till opeaning day!

Posted by: Jdubb ()
Date: February 17, 2009 11:02AM

For those interested, the official site for Trummer's is live: http://www.trummersonmain.com/

Posted by: omar ()
Date: March 20, 2009 10:02PM

Lot's of money being dropped on this new restaurant in Clifton and the economy stinks. Wow a mixologist from New York City. I am impressed. Just what I want to do drive to Clifton and then drop $15 a drink and since there are only a few ways out of Clifton I am sure FCPD will be waiting.

Did anyone really think about this business plan? Or figure an old building would need massive renovations to support this wonderful design? Obviously not!

Can't wait to see the dinner entree prices! And I am willing to bet the the wine list on has a token couple VA reds and whites and maybe a couple other East Coast offerings. Bet a couple wont b able to get out of there for under $150 with dinner, appetizers, dessert, a drink and a glass of wine.

Seriously doubt the place will survive 12mos. And yeah I have experience in the restaurant biz. Most restaurants fail. Sounds to me like Alto Plaza South!

Maybe the wedding biz will keep them around Doubtful1.

Omar

Date: March 21, 2009 09:22AM

You sure sound like a fun guy, Omar. Why not give the place a chance and see what they do? Seems like they have lined up some good talent and have some interesting ideas. I guess you'd like the restaurant scene to be filled only with the tried and true, predictable chains? Macaroni Grill and Olive Garden?

omar Wrote:
> Lot's of money being dropped on this new
> restaurant in Clifton and the economy stinks. Wow
> a mixologist from New York City. I am impressed.
> Just what I want to do drive to Clifton and then
> drop $15 a drink and since there are only a few
> ways out of Clifton I am sure FCPD will be
> waiting.
>
> Did anyone really think about this business plan?
> Or figure an old building would need massive
> renovations to support this wonderful design?
> Obviously not!
>
> Can't wait to see the dinner entree prices! And I
> am willing to bet the the wine list on has a token
> couple VA reds and whites and maybe a couple other
> East Coast offerings. Bet a couple wont b able to
> get out of there for under $150 with dinner,
> appetizers, dessert, a drink and a glass of wine.
>
> Seriously doubt the place will survive 12mos. And
> yeah I have experience in the restaurant biz.
> Most restaurants fail. Sounds to me like Alto
> Plaza South!
>
> Maybe the wedding biz will keep them around
> Doubtful1.
>
> Omar

Posted by: clifton ()
Date: March 21, 2009 12:05PM

The old Hermitage location is being reborn into what may well become a regional attraction. Think about Chez Francios. I don't know if it remains so today, but I well remember the days that one had to call exactly two weeks in advance to secure a reservation there. And even at that, it was difficult to get through when they opened the phone line. Even this economy will accomodate something that is truly different and spectacular. So designate a driver and enjoy!

Posted by: omar ()
Date: March 21, 2009 04:08PM

Clifton resident wrote
You sure sound like a fun guy, Omar. Why not give the place a chance and see what they do? Seems like they have lined up some good talent and have some interesting ideas. I guess you'd like the restaurant scene to be filled only with the tried and true, predictable chains? Macaroni Grill and Olive Garden?

No I would like a restaurant with a viable business plan in the old Hermitage spot to survive and prosper. Sorry a NYC mixologist and big time chef from Napa or wherever just isn't going to make it in this market and in Clifton. I am all for local farmers and local producers. My dogs work for local sheep producers. I frequent the Organic Butcher for my steaks and lamb. No the owners of Trummers need to stop dreaming and consider the market and demographics. How has Centerville's Alto's done? What a waste of money and effort. Again owners and investors did not know their market

I can remember when bikers and motorcycle gangs were part of Clifton and back then Clifton Day used to be a lot more fun.

What Clifton could really use is a good Mexican taco cart by the RR tracks. Or a little trattoria serving real regional Italian food.

And sorry I dont frequent Macaroni Grill and Olive Garden like you do. I refer Panino's in Manassas and have been eating there for 20 years.

Chez Francois is still there the old man still cooks on occasion. I can remember my parents taking me to the original Chez Francios in DC.

8 out of 10 new restaurants fail within 5 years. Its a tough business but its even tougher if your business plan is fool hardy.

Sorry Clifton ain't Old Town, Georgetown, or even Winchester.

Omar

Date: March 21, 2009 05:18PM

What percentage of the Inn at Little Washington's business do you figure is from residents of Little Washington? I'm guessing not that much. I haven't the foggiest what their business plan is, or whether it will work. I am happy though that somebody is doing something different with the place--and that it sounds like something I would like. Real estate in the Clifton area is expensive--they paid nearly 2 million dollars for it--before renovations. Do you think they could make it as a pizza place? I'm anxious to see what they do, and hoping it works out.

Posted by: Omar ()
Date: March 29, 2009 12:46PM

Clifton resident

A trattoria does not serve pizza. Man you need to leave your trailer park in Manassas and get out more.

Sorry Trummer's will never be anything close to to the ILW or the Gun Club of Goldvein.

Yeah they paid 2 million for it in Clifton but what is it worth now? And what did their teaser rate go to?

How many folks would go to Trummer's to drop $200+ for dinner for two?

Omar

Date: March 30, 2009 12:46PM

Listen, dude--you don't have a clue. First of all, $200 for two isn't that expensive these days. Lots of people spend that amount on dinner, especially when wine is included. Second, as my name suggests, I live in Clifton not Manassas. I get out plenty and know that many trattoria do, in fact, serve pizza--though that wasn't really what I was referring to. My point was that the only hope they have of making it is as a higher end establishment. Lastly, I highly doubt that they borrowed the money for this project--especially at a teaser rate. Lending was already frozen when they purchased the Hermitage and I doubt they would have been able to get a commercial loan. In short, fuck off.

Omar Wrote:
> Clifton resident
>
> A trattoria does not serve pizza. Man you need to
> leave your trailer park in Manassas and get out
> more.
>
> Sorry Trummer's will never be anything close to to
> the ILW or the Gun Club of Goldvein.
>
> Yeah they paid 2 million for it in Clifton but
> what is it worth now? And what did their teaser
> rate go to?
>
> How many folks would go to Trummer's to drop $200+
> for dinner for two?
>
> Omar

Date: March 30, 2009 12:48PM

CliftonResident Wrote:
> Listen, dude--you don't have a clue. First of
> all, $200 for two isn't that expensive these days.
> Lots of people spend that amount on dinner,
> especially when wine is included. Second, as my
> name suggests, I live in Clifton not Manassas. I
> get out plenty and know that many trattoria do, in
> fact, serve pizza--though that wasn't really what
> I was referring to. My point was that the only
> hope they have of making it is as a higher end
> establishment. Lastly, I highly doubt that they
> borrowed the money for this project--especially at
> a teaser rate. Lending was already frozen when
> they purchased the Hermitage and I doubt they
> would have been able to get a commercial loan. In
> short, fuck off.
>
>

All I know is that the last time I ate at the Heart in Hand, the food tasted like shit. It was also under-cooked. That place has really gone down hill. It would be nice to have a decent restaurant in the Clifton area.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 30, 2009 12:49PM

Trattorias definitely can serve pizza. Trattoria is a non-specific term that can refer to slight variations in different places.

As for 200 bucks not being a lot for a dinner for two, that's outrageous. Of course that's a lot to spend on a dinner for two if you're not already wealthy, wine or not. Many people struggle to come up with that kind of money to spend on food in a MONTH.

Date: March 30, 2009 01:02PM

Yes, many people do struggle to come up with that kind of money but many people do not. I spent $150 for dinner and wine for myself at a restaurant last week. Whether that is outrageous or not is an individual judgement--I'm just saying it's not that hard to do.

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Trattorias definitely can serve pizza. Trattoria
> is a non-specific term that can refer to slight
> variations in different places.
>
> As for 200 bucks not being a lot for a dinner for
> two, that's outrageous. Of course that's a lot to
> spend on a dinner for two if you're not already
> wealthy, wine or not. Many people struggle to
> come up with that kind of money to spend on food
> in a MONTH.

Date: March 30, 2009 01:06PM

CliftonResident Wrote:
> Yes, many people do struggle to come up with that
> kind of money but many people do not. I spent
> $150 for dinner and wine for myself at a
> restaurant last week. Whether that is outrageous
> or not is an individual judgement--I'm just saying
> it's not that hard to do.

If you are already wealthy.

Date: March 30, 2009 01:07PM

And I live in Clifton as well.

Date: March 30, 2009 01:09PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> And I live in Clifton as well.

Oh yeah? How come you aren't CLIFTON Peace? Or CLIFTON Clavin? Or CLIFTON the Big Red Dog??

Date: March 30, 2009 01:13PM

I was responding to that dumbass Omar's remark questioning how many people would drop $200 for dinner for two--the point I was making is that there are plenty who could and would. There are lots of people in this area who can afford to pay that much for dinner for two and who do it all the time. Trust me, I see it.

RESton Peace Wrote:
> If you are already wealthy.

Date: March 30, 2009 02:34PM

CliftonResident Wrote:
> I was responding to that dumbass Omar's remark
> questioning how many people would drop $200 for
> dinner for two--the point I was making is that
> there are plenty who could and would. There are
> lots of people in this area who can afford to pay
> that much for dinner for two and who do it all the
> time. Trust me, I see it.
>
>
> RESton Peace Wrote:
> > If you are already wealthy.

There are tons of $1 million-plus homes in the Clifton area. However, those people aren't idiots. It's one thing to drop $200 at a restaurant in DC. It's another thing entirely to do it in Clifton. Clifton needs a few more neighborhood bar/restaurant-type places and fewer high-end restaurants with sub-par food and service.

Posted by: C-Snob ()
Date: March 30, 2009 03:19PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> And I live in Clifton as well.

The Clifton near Centreville really isn't Clifton

Posted by: clifton ()
Date: March 30, 2009 04:11PM

we dined at ruths chris ffx on the 21st...jammed, no recession there....DaDominico's this past Sat. evening...jammed to the walls....and Panino's in Manassas...not so full, but a $162.00 tab for two....in MANASSAS!
I'm really looking forward to Trummers on Main and truly believe there is ample demand for a really good dining destination.

Has anybody popped into Heart and Han''s Pub? Observation?

Date: March 30, 2009 04:42PM

C-Snob Wrote:
> RESton Peace Wrote:
> -----
> > And I live in Clifton as well.
>
> The Clifton near Centreville really isn't Clifton

I know, I just like to take advantage of my stage in life.

Date: March 30, 2009 06:17PM

We aren't all snobs in Clifton--I didn't even point that out. :)

RESton Peace Wrote:
> C-Snob Wrote:
> -----
> > RESton Peace Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > And I live in Clifton as well.
> >
> > The Clifton near Centreville really isn't
> Clifton
>
>
> I know, I just like to take advantage of my stage
> in life.

Posted by: snob ()
Date: March 30, 2009 07:14PM

Clifton is alright if you can't afford Great Falls....

Posted by: Doc Octomom ()
Date: March 30, 2009 07:49PM

clifton Wrote:

> I'm really looking forward to Trummers on Main and
> truly believe there is ample demand for a really
> good dining destination.
>
>

It may be just a rumor, but didn't the place that was there before need to subsidize its menu with side dishes of love? Maybe there is ample demand, but I'm not sure it's for "good dining."

Posted by: F-n-zee Deutsch ()
Date: March 30, 2009 07:52PM

Omar Wrote:
> Clifton resident
>
> A trattoria does not serve pizza.

Time to throw all of these fuckers in Trattoria jail!

http://www.mangiatrattoriaonline.com/index1.htm

http://trattoria1.com/

http://www.lombardisrestaurant.com/

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/53/1128741/restaurant/North-Jersey/Trattoria-G-Pizza-Restaurant-Sea-Bright

http://www.boorah.com/restaurants/CT/cromwell/abc-trattoria-and-pizza/EDC6A729B3.html

What? Are you from "Lazy Dumbfuckville?"

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: March 30, 2009 09:51PM

snob Wrote:
> Clifton is alright if you can't afford Great
> Falls....

+2

Posted by: VAViking ()
Date: March 30, 2009 11:25PM

To all (particularly Omar)

No one can really tell right now if a high-end restaurant will be successful or not. Yes, you are correct that 8 out of 10 restaurants fail. Some are successful, though, and some are surprisingly successful.

I'm not a critic or a chef, but an accountant. Yep, I'm the schmuck who goes in after the battle's been lost and bayonets the wounded. I've done several postmortems on failed restaurants and I let everyone in on a few things I've discovered over the years.

1.) The Bar - it can be the biggest profit center in a restaurant. If you have the right type of bar attracting the right kind of customer in the right area, you will have a printing press churning out wads of cash. It sounds like Trummer's is going high-end and that's not necessarily a bad thing. There are tons of (cheap) places for the hip twenty-something crowd to go party, but not that many places in Fairfax for older singles to mingle. Most of the places I know are on Kings Street. It'll be nice to go to a bar in Western Fairfax and not feel like a child molester cruising the playground.

2.) The Kitchen - from an operational standpoint, this is where most restaurateurs screw the pooch. Most chefs I know suck at inventory control. They always buy more then they need because they are afraid of running out of something and then they have to throw a ton of stuff away because it spoiled. If you have a wastage rate of 60%, you are going to loose money on the kitchen no matter how much you charge for a meal.

3.) Cash (the big one) - most restaurants fail in the first year simply because they ran out of money. The owners put all their money setting up the place and never budgeted enough to keep it running after it opened. Basic rule of thumb, you should have the same amount of cash in reserve that it took to open the place. In Trummer's, if it's costing them 2 million to open the place, then they should have AT LEAST 2 million in cash to run it.

Posted by: BuckeyeinVA ()
Date: April 02, 2009 09:09AM

The postings are great! It proves that everyone has an opinion and an A-hole and they both stink...

Just kidding. I appreciate the passion that has been expressed on this thread.

I for one am looking forward to the Grand Opening. I am one of the throngs who drive through Clifton on my way to work. We have been to Heart in Hand a few times and it does seem to have lost some of it's quality over the years. The Pub is a lot of fun as well as the outside eating area at the Clifton General Store. We have yet to go into the Wine store, that will be sometime soon.

Don't assume that we all eat at these restaurants 7-days a week. For us maybe once a month we'll go and have a nice dinner and having Trummer's as a new option, this close to home, will be nice.

Has there been a grand opening date set yet?

Posted by: Cliftonite ()
Date: April 02, 2009 10:30AM

As a Cliftonite who does not live in the town of Clifton, I am looking forward to a nice restaurant close to home.

I also agree that having a bar that caters more to an older crowd can be quite successful in this area.

Posted by: Cliftonian ()
Date: April 07, 2009 03:54PM

CliftonResident Wrote:I am anxiousley awaiting the opening and I will hold back my judgements until the food hits my belly. As for this Omar guy I suggest eating my asshole it fairly priced and the buisness plan has held up for 30 yrs and counting.

> thread.
>
>
> Hermitage:
>
> restaurant

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: April 07, 2009 04:05PM

If you can afford it, this sounds really nice.

http://franklymls.com/FX6993653

Posted by: CliftonCreek ()
Date: April 17, 2009 02:36PM

I can't wait for Trummer's to open - there is no reason why Trummer's cannot become a destination like L'Auberge Chez Francois once was. The reason why Alto Plaza failed is the food is HORRIBLE. Anyone read Tom Sietsema's review? He destroyed it.

The important thing is to do it right. The Clifton/Fairfax Station area is still one of the top ten wealthiest areas (by zipcode) in the nation - although yes, acknowledging the previous post, it falls behind Great Falls which is #1!

There are plenty of people in this area that would rather spend $200 or more for a great dinner close to home than drive into Georgetown to spend $500 at Citronelle. My wife and I really miss Maestro at the Ritz in Tysons, Trabocchi was amazing and it was a sad day when he resigned, there are no amazing restaurants within a 15 mile radius.

Look at 2941 - who would think that a restaurant in the bottom of an office building in FALLS CHURCH would make it? What a great place.

If the new chef can grow into a Rick Tramonto I guarantee people will be flocking to Trummer's. Supposedly he spent some time at the French Laundry, and anyone who has worked at one of Keller's restaurants should have had at least something rub off. Let's reserve judgment until the doors open, for my wife and I at least, we can't wait!

Posted by: Redheaded Management ()
Date: May 10, 2009 02:36PM

Well, I just want to input that I too have enjoyed the banter (intelligent and otherwise). I have relocated near Clifton area, and I absolutely love the area, and can't wait for some international flair in the area! I think a high-end property is a great thing for Clifton, both because the clientele can handle it, and it will create a nice little buzz around there. Not necessarily for more traffic, but more interest. GO TRUMMERS!

Posted by: Hondo ()
Date: May 11, 2009 10:40PM

If the food is truly good, then people will come and continue to come. As a lifetime resident of FFX county, I can tell you I love Clifton, and wish I could afford to live there - just a bit too far out commute-wise. There is LOTS of money in FFX folks, and no shortage of people willing to spring a few bucks for a well done meal. I took my wife to L'Auberge Chez Francois for our anniversary and sprung about $250 for two, and it was worth every penny, which is why we do it every year. I also agree with the assessment of Heart in Hand. I like the restaurant, but feel that they need to do a lot to bring their sagging quality up.

Posted by: RW ()
Date: May 12, 2009 07:41PM

At the risk of revealing hidden trade secrets, let me recount a few tactics derived from the restaurant business taught to me by a family member who must, naturally, be kept nameless. Disclaimer: I personally find all this tactics morally reprehensive but only report them to satisfy the public’s right to know. Imagine a restaurant anxious to attract middle-class female customers located within walking distance of a housing project populated by poor, hip-hop inclined young men. Though the “nice ladies” will vehemently deny it, they will go elsewhere if forced to mingle with these “threatening” young men. How, then, can the eatery survive without running afoul of discrimination complaints or, worse, a Denny’s-like hugely expensive lawsuit?

First, softly pipe in classical music, preferably of the Baroque style. It’s not that these women adore Vivaldi, or prefer it over Telemann; rather they find this sound “comforting.” Young black males, however, are almost unconsciously uncomfortable in its presence—classical music, Baroque in particular, is the very essence of “white.” Together with décor, age and ethnic staff composition, background music is an especially effective and legally bulletproof way to “shape” a clientele. It is no accident that successful retail chains obsess over background musical programming while inept rivals often permit staff to select music willy-nilly, a policy that almost always brings trouble given horrific teenager tastes. A jukebox entrepreneur friend once explained to me that his “white trash” bar owners insisted that his machines include at least one hardcore Stand-by-Your-Man country-western tune available to bartenders when undesired scruffy types asked for service.

The menu is also critical. Our devious proprietor will exclude any items known to be favorites among certain lower class types—inexpensive “fast food” fried dishes while pricing everything just a bit beyond what McDonald’s or Burger King offers. And no hamburgers or cheeseburgers, never! Further sprinkle a few intimidating foreign words on the menu—at least five types of Quiches. The coup de grace will be offering all sandwiches with “gourmet” five-grain bread, everything topped with alfalfa sprouts and arugula, only using low-sodium, low-fat deli meats, offering soups of the cream of broccoli or lobster bisque variety, plus a mind-boggling selection of exotic herbal teas, among other “white” delicacies. If a potato side-dish is to be offered, make it organic German vinegar/sour cream red potato salad, never French fries. Sit-down only service is also preferable help since restaurant owners recognize that lower-class blacks prefer counter-service or take-out, and view having to tip waiters a deal killer when making their choices.

Location is also vital, so a savvy restaurateur will avoid entrances through malls populated by rambunctious teenagers (black and Hispanic teenagers, even gangs, prefer enclosed, climate-controlled spaces for congregating). No middle-class customer wants to run this disconcerting gauntlet. The ideal location is one safely distant from where feral youth loll about and, at least I’ve been told, that new, more upscale California malls no longer have roofs or central meeting points that attract scruffy teenagers (McDonald’s overcame this “delinquent” problem by banning cigarette vending machines and with loitering teenagers gone, “nice” families arrived.).

Higher end urban establishments appealing to affluent males also enjoy a repertory of perfectly legal customer-shaping strategies. It is not that these establishments dislike blacks; rather, they realize that if certain minorities show up, their regulars will feel uncomfortable and this destroys business. Next time one enters a fancy bar catering to well-heeled patrons in an urban setting observe the liquors featured at the bar. Chances are there will be no conspicuous displays of certain super high-status Cognacs, especially Courvoisier “Initiale Extra” or Hennessy “Paradis Cognac” and even their lower-priced “VS” versions may be off to the side (more prominent might be Spanish brandies like Fundador). The reason is simple: wealthy whites might order a $200 bottle of French chateau-bottled wine at the meal but not, say, a $100 sniffer of Hennessy Paradis Cognac beforehand. These fiendishly expensive brandies are especially appealing to certain types of show-off customers, and while their lucre may be much appreciated, management seldom appreciates this clientele. As with public schools, a tip point exists—as more flamboyantly-dressed African American customers (and their ladies in tow) flock in for their $25 Hennessy XO’s, the atmosphere shifts, and the uneasy regulars drift elsewhere. Better to just not carry these items.

Subtle differences in pricing can be decisive. To keep an upscale whites, proprietors will price drinks high but also increase quantity to maintain decent value. If you charge $12 for a single malt scotch, pour an ounce and half (a very generous shot) but never, as cheap gin mills do, charge $5 for two-thirds of an ounce in a glass that magnifies content. This will invite the “wrong people.” Similarly, make sure that the cheapest menu item is relatively expensive, but not over-priced for what is provided. Lower-class patrons will reject a $25 for a hamburger even if quality and quantity justify price. For them, the absolute price—$25—is what counts, not the ratio of costs to benefits. The comparison is McDonald’s and they that a $25 burger is a swindle and thus never enter the establishment, let alone return.

Once this perfectly legal, actually benign approach to managing the social environment is understood, all sorts of oddities become apparent. Freedom of association is preserved but only on the sly. A standing joke concerns how WASPy clubs can exclude Jews, and avoid lawsuits: just serve bland, somewhat over-priced food (especially acquired taste dishes like creamed spinach or pot pies). Rest assured, no self-respecting Jew would clamor for membership. If that fails, forbid any menu substitutions and post multiple signs saying, “No loud talking And/Or Exaggerated Bragging About One’s Children.” Gays can also be kept outside the doors quite easily: There is nothing illegal about filling up the jukebox with classic 1970s rock—and removing all the Broadway show tunes. And then follow up with hors d’oeuvres of messy Buffalo wings, only inexpensive domestic beers on tap, and a TV permanently fixed on ESPN. It is hard to be sued by a gay rights group for one’s tacky hors d’oeuvres options.

http://www.takimag.com/blogs/article/stuff_white_people_like1/

Posted by: Redheaded Management ()
Date: May 19, 2009 10:44PM

Well I was blessed with an inside look of Trummer's! One word = Breathtaking.
It's going to blow Clifton out of the water.
3 floors, 8000 square feet of dining. A wine cellar with 8000 bottles of wine, complete with a tasting room and a separate reserve room. The main bar on lowest level is expected to be highlighted by the onyx bar that is lit from beneath.
Bar will have a separate menu than the restaurant. The Glassed in greenhouse will be an additional dining area. The details are unique, stylish, and well thought out.
This is going to be one amazing place, and should pull alot of business!
Overall, I am waiting in line for one of the first tables!
It should prove to be just what Clifton and surrounding areas is wanting and needing!

Posted by: haha ()
Date: May 20, 2009 12:24AM

As someone who works at Cupcakes Actually,
they have continuously delayed the opening of Trummer's. It is an on going joke that they will never open.

CliftonResident Wrote:
> thread.
>
>
> Hermitage:
>
> restaurant

Posted by: Great Oak Lane ()
Date: May 20, 2009 01:06AM

WOW! All of that information from simply taking an "inside look".
This whole thread appears to be employees, owners, and friends of the owners posing as locals and "excited connoisseurs" in an attempt to pump Trummer's up. It is an old trick and frankly a very lame one. A better marketing strategy may be to skip the fictitious "rave reviews" and focus on your cooking. By grossly overspending on the many gaudy remodeling projects, Trummer's opportunity to succeed is razor thin with little margin for error. In this economy that continues to crumble for all classes across the social spectrum, the hardest hit restaurants will continue to be the upper echelon of fine dining. However, as CliftonGeek put it, "If the new chef can grow into a Rick Tramonto, I guarantee people will be flocking to Trummer's." By the same token, if I become the next Michael Jordan, I will make millions playing in the NBA. ---Easier said than done.--- GO TRUMMERS!

Date: May 20, 2009 07:17PM

Redheaded Management Wrote:
> Well I was blessed with an inside look of
> Trummer's! One word = Breathtaking.
> It's going to blow Clifton out of the water.
> 3 floors, 8000 square feet of dining. A wine
> cellar with 8000 bottles of wine, complete with a
> tasting room and a separate reserve room. The
> main bar on lowest level is expected to be
> highlighted by the onyx bar that is lit from
> beneath.
> Bar will have a separate menu than the restaurant.
> The Glassed in greenhouse will be an additional
> dining area. The details are unique, stylish, and
> well thought out.
> This is going to be one amazing place, and should
> pull alot of business!
> Overall, I am waiting in line for one of the first
> tables!
> It should prove to be just what Clifton and
> surrounding areas is wanting and needing!

I hope they spring for a new sign out front....the current one with Home Depot stick-on letters over the old Hermitage lettering is pretty tacky....

Date: May 22, 2009 07:09AM

tubby Wrote:
> I hope they spring for a new sign out front....the
> current one with Home Depot stick-on letters over
> the old Hermitage lettering is pretty tacky....

I wouldn't worry about the sign--I'm positive they'll be replacing that soon. Looks like they are about to paint the exterior, which will be a huge improvement. And the front doors have been removed to make way for new ones. Progress still seems to be slow though--I can't imagine they'll be opening in June.

Posted by: RedHeaded Management ()
Date: May 22, 2009 12:06PM

Sadly, I am disappointed that some people just aren't excited about a newcomer looking to plant roots, and use the local produce and proteins as a fantastic blend.
I am NOT a friend, family member, employee or any kind of relation to the owners at Trummers. I am purely a visiting Hospitality Director from the UK that has been watching the changes over the past few months during my visit. I introduced myself one day and asked the owner (wife), for a tour, which I got along with the story. I thought it was great information to share. I apologize if it seemed a bit direct and descriptive, however, I get paid to observe and to listen, then share. So that is what I did, with much elation and excitement.
On the other note of Trummer's taking so long to open...employees should not disrespect their fellow businesses. Great things do take time, especially an endeavour such as this one. Keep in mind, a cupcake doesn't take time, now does it? Trummer's is a brilliant vision and will be a happy addition to the Greater DC area for many reasons. All the best to you all! Cheers!

Posted by: CliftonCreek ()
Date: May 22, 2009 05:36PM

Great Oak Lane, I am not a friend, employee, or acquaintance of the owners and am genuinely excited about the opening. I really do live on Clifton Creek Dr. but I have to give you credit, after rereading my previous message I thought the "Clifton Geek" jab was well placed as perhaps I did go a little overboard!

I agree that great chefs are few and far between, but can you blame me for being optimistic? It is rare that a restaurant with apparent potential opens within a short walk of your home. I am fortunate that I had a job that enabled me to travel across the country and visit many of the best restaurants in the country. To MAYBE have an outstanding restaurant in Clifton is worth getting excited about. Perhaps it is akin to thinking about what I would do with the money if I won the lottery, but anticipation can be fun too! Let's all root for a successful opening that rewards the risk the owners are taking...

Still CAN'T WAIT!

Date: May 22, 2009 06:10PM

I, too, live within walking distance of Trummer's and am genuinely excited. I'm thrilled to hear there will be a different menu in the bar, as that means I can eat there more frequently without it costing a mint every time. So far I'm impressed with what I've seen so let's hope it succeeds!

Posted by: seriously! ()
Date: June 11, 2009 08:47AM

These people have the patience of Job! Maybe they should have just torn down the whole building in the first place and started fresh. I can only imagine how overpriced their food is going to be to make up for all of this.

Date: June 11, 2009 10:09PM

seriously! Wrote:
> These people have the patience of Job! Maybe they
> should have just torn down the whole building in
> the first place and started fresh. I can only
> imagine how overpriced their food is going to be
> to make up for all of this.

Seriously, how much money have they put down on this dump? They are going to have to have 300 people there every night for the next 10 years just to pay back what they owe! I bet Mr. Trummer - if that's his name - is pretty sorry now he got into this sink hole.

Posted by: Maria ()
Date: June 20, 2009 04:44PM

Would anyone mind letting me know if Trummer's on Main will be a site available for wedding receptions? I walked past it this past Friday and it looked really nice inside, especially the room in the back with all the windows. I am in the market and looking at heart in hand and was curious if there were other options for wedding receptions sites in historic Clifton!

Cheers!

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: June 20, 2009 09:37PM

Sounds like a nice place. I thought the Hermitage was very good and took my wife there on several occasions.

Looking forward to the change - for a first class meal, I hope I am not let down. Not a drinker, so the bar/wine part will not impress me, but...

So when does it open?

Posted by: well ()
Date: June 21, 2009 12:12AM

if the food at trummers sux as much as the cupcakes at cupcakes actually do....they wont be in biz long. ew!!!

Date: June 22, 2009 04:43PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
> Sounds like a nice place. I thought the Hermitage
> was very good and took my wife there on several
> occasions.
>
> Looking forward to the change - for a first class
> meal, I hope I am not let down. Not a drinker, so
> the bar/wine part will not impress me, but...
>
> So when does it open?

Nobody knows. At this rate, I would have to guess 2011.

Posted by: B1shop ()
Date: June 22, 2009 04:58PM

"TRUMMER ","CARMEN ","J","035"," 8709","CURTIS ","AV","ALEXANDRIA ","VA","05/03/2004","DISREGARD TRAFFIC LIGHTS "
"TRUMMER ","CARMEN ","J","035"," 8709","CURTIS ","AV","ALEXANDRIA ","VA","08/10/2004","FOLLOWING TOO CLOSE "
"TRUMMER ","CARMEN ","J","039"," 8709","CURTIS ","AV","ALEXANDRIA ","VA","03/31/2008","IMPROPER LANE CHANGE "
"TRUMMER ","CARMEN ","J","039"," 8709","CURTIS ","AV","ALEXANDRIA ","VA","08/26/2008","HOV VIOLATION "

Date: June 22, 2009 08:22PM

Actually, it looks like they are getting close. They are tidying up things around the parking lot and have been doing some landscaping work. I'm guessing they are a few weeks away.

WashingTone Locian Wrote:
> ffxn8v Wrote:
> -----
> > Sounds like a nice place. I thought the
> Hermitage
> > was very good and took my wife there on several
> > occasions.
> >
> > Looking forward to the change - for a first
> class
> > meal, I hope I am not let down. Not a drinker,
> so
> > the bar/wine part will not impress me, but...
> >
> > So when does it open?
>
>
> Nobody knows. At this rate, I would have to guess
> 2011.

Posted by: it is ()
Date: June 23, 2009 10:29PM

Wont be long - they have a wedding reception slated for July 11th to be held there.

And B1 shop, it's not Carmen Trummer, it's Stefan Trummer. He isn't the owner - he's the owners son-in-law.

Date: June 29, 2009 08:40AM

From Open Table:

http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?iid=&rid=32515&t=fr&msg=Currently%2boffline&d=6/29/2009 7:00:00 PM&p=2&hpu=1330235929

Trummer's on Main writes...
Trummer’s On Main is engulfed in history that dates back to the 1800’s and brings a new edge to the historical area. You will dine where George Washington and Lord Fairfax hunted; the spot the Confederate and the Union met at throughout the Civil War; and the first town to have electricity in Virginia. Each floor has something special to offer for the eyes as well as the palette. The first floor consists of the bar and lounge accompanied by the glass enclosed wine tasting room which has a lovely view of the wine cellar, home to over 10,000 bottles of the worlds finest selection of wine. The second and third floor are used for dining and private party use, each decorated to echo the floor below but with it’s own flare, including fireplaces. The kitchen, where Executive Chef Clayton Miller resides, offers his expertise with training from Norman’s in Orlando, The French Laundry and Daniel. Chris Ford from New York's Chicalicious is the Pastry Chef.

Dining Feedback
Coming Soon
Dining Style: Casual Elegant
Cuisine: Contemporary American
Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
Cross Street: Clifton Road
Price: $31 to $50
Email: trummersonmain@gmail.com
Phone: (703) 266-1623
Hours of Operation: Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Payment Options:
AMEX, Carte Blanche, Diners Club, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, Visa
Executive Chef: Clayton Miller
Dress Code: Smart Casual
Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
Offers: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
Parking: Private Lot
Parking Details: The largest parking lot in all of Historic Clifton, there is always ample parking for our diners.
Private Party Facilities: Trummers on Main offers four truly unique dining areas that can fit virtually any group's desired size or ambiance. The largest, the glass-enclosed, light-filled Atrium (Winter Garden) seats up to 90. This room has the added attraction of having a stage that will be perfect for your band or presentation. We also feature the Gallery Room, a modern, intimate dining area filled with local artwork. It includes it's own private bar and provides a city-like loft experience. This room has about 50 seats. Our main dining room is our centerpiece. It features two fireplaces and has access to the open front balcony. It seats 50. For a smaller group check out or wine tasting room that feels like you've been transported to Europe. The room looks directly into our wine cellar and is the perfect option for a small group celebrating a special occasion or a business meeting(We have a large screen available). This room seats up to 16.
Private Party Contact: Victoria Trummer (703) 266-1623

Posted by: (long time) Clifton Resident ()
Date: June 29, 2009 10:40PM

CliftonResident Wrote:
> From Open Table:
>
> http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?iid=&ri
> d=32515&t=fr&msg=Currently%2boffline&d=6/29/2009
> 7:00:00 PM&p=2&hpu=1330235929
>
>
> Trummer's on Main writes...
> Trummer’s On Main is engulfed in history that
> dates back to the 1800’s and brings a new edge to
> the historical area. You will dine where George
> Washington and Lord Fairfax hunted; the spot the
> Confederate and the Union met at throughout the
> Civil War; and the first town to have electricity
> in Virginia. Each floor has something special to
> offer for the eyes as well as the palette. The
> first floor consists of the bar and lounge
> accompanied by the glass enclosed wine tasting
> room which has a lovely view of the wine cellar,
> home to over 10,000 bottles of the worlds finest
> selection of wine. The second and third floor are
> used for dining and private party use, each
> decorated to echo the floor below but with it’s
> own flare, including fireplaces. The kitchen,
> where Executive Chef Clayton Miller resides,
> offers his expertise with training from Norman’s
> in Orlando, The French Laundry and Daniel. Chris
> Ford from New York's Chicalicious is the Pastry
> Chef.
>
> Dining Feedback
> Coming Soon
> Dining Style: Casual Elegant
> Cuisine: Contemporary American
> Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
> Cross Street: Clifton Road
> Price: $31 to $50
> Website: http://www.trummersonmain.com
> Email: trummersonmain@gmail.com
> Phone: (703) 266-1623
> Hours of Operation: Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am -
> 2:30pm
> Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday
> & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm -
> 9:00pm
> Payment Options:
> AMEX, Carte Blanche, Diners Club, Discover, JCB,
> MasterCard, Visa
> Executive Chef: Clayton Miller
> Dress Code: Smart Casual
> Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
> Offers: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining,
> Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night,
> Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining,
> Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend
> Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
> Parking: Private Lot
> Parking Details: The largest parking lot in all of
> Historic Clifton, there is always ample parking
> for our diners.
> Private Party Facilities: Trummers on Main offers
> four truly unique dining areas that can fit
> virtually any group's desired size or ambiance.
> The largest, the glass-enclosed, light-filled
> Atrium (Winter Garden) seats up to 90. This room
> has the added attraction of having a stage that
> will be perfect for your band or presentation. We
> also feature the Gallery Room, a modern, intimate
> dining area filled with local artwork. It includes
> it's own private bar and provides a city-like loft
> experience. This room has about 50 seats. Our main
> dining room is our centerpiece. It features two
> fireplaces and has access to the open front
> balcony. It seats 50. For a smaller group check
> out or wine tasting room that feels like you've
> been transported to Europe. The room looks
> directly into our wine cellar and is the perfect
> option for a small group celebrating a special
> occasion or a business meeting(We have a large
> screen available). This room seats up to 16.
> Private Party Contact: Victoria Trummer (703)
> 266-1623

Just to clarify a few things that "Trummer's on Main" states. George Washington and Lord Fairfax did not hunt in or around Clifton. If this is disputed, please site your source(s). No, Trummer's was not the spot that "the Confederate and the Union met at throughout the Civil War." AND NO, Clifton was not the first town in Virginia to have electricity. You forgot to mention that Thomas Jefferson built, owned, and operated the original Clifton Hotel and that it served as the original "Camp David" for the early U.S. Presidents. If you are going to B.S., do it right!

Another news flash... You state that Trummer's is in the Adams Morgan neighborhood. That hasn't been the case since Lord Fairfax and George Washington used to hang out together at the Clifton General Store.

Date: June 30, 2009 09:04AM

Geez, cut them a little slack--why such hostility? The Adams Morgan thing is probably just a glitch with the Open Table software. I know you long time Clifton residents resist all change, but Trummer's looks like it will be a big improvement to the town. Certainly better than letting the hotel deteriorate like the Hetzel house did.

(long time) Clifton Resident Wrote:
>
> Another news flash... You state that Trummer's is
> in the Adams Morgan neighborhood. That hasn't
> been the case since Lord Fairfax and George
> Washington used to hang out together at the
> Clifton General Store.

Posted by: fairfaxfeme ()
Date: June 30, 2009 11:54AM

I for one am so excited for Trummers! Drove by this weekend, looks to be coming along nicely. Stumbled upon this thread while trying to find info on the place. Clifton is a cute town and Trummers should be a welcome additon. I also don't understand all the hostility - it should be given a chance.

Posted by: Tinka ()
Date: June 30, 2009 06:39PM

Has this place opened yet? If not, does anyone know when it will open..? I'm eager to check this place out to see & taste what all the fuss is about:))

Date: June 30, 2009 06:51PM

Why is Adam's Morgan listed on its Open Table registration?

As for the price, $31 to $50 an entree is way too damn expensive for Clifton. Yeah, Clifton is a higher end place. But you don't see "Heart in Hand" packed to the rafters, and it has much less floor space to fill than Trummers will and doesn't offer any entrees about the $30 range.

Restaurants make their money off of alcohol, not food. Trummers needs to fill that place, especially on the weekends. I suggest they slash their entrees to the $10 to $35 range and stock some kick-ass wine and hire a great bartender. Otherwise they will be out of business within two years.

Date: June 30, 2009 09:41PM

The location Trummer's is in made it's main money from the big wedding reception area they have in back, before, when it was the hermitage... I heard the restaurant was a loss leader in some ways for the old owners.

Date: June 30, 2009 10:02PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> The location Trummer's is in made it's main money
> from the big wedding reception area they have in
> back, before, when it was the hermitage... I heard
> the restaurant was a loss leader in some ways for
> the old owners.

I guess that makes sense. Though with the train track right there. Sheesh.

Posted by: fairfaxfeme ()
Date: July 01, 2009 10:25AM

WashingTone Locian Wrote:
> Why is Adam's Morgan listed on its Open Table
> registration?
>
> As for the price, $31 to $50 an entree is way too
> damn expensive for Clifton. Yeah, Clifton is a
> higher end place. But you don't see "Heart in
> Hand" packed to the rafters, and it has much less
> floor space to fill than Trummers will and doesn't
> offer any entrees about the $30 range.
>
> Restaurants make their money off of alcohol, not
> food. Trummers needs to fill that place,
> especially on the weekends. I suggest they slash
> their entrees to the $10 to $35 range and stock
> some kick-ass wine and hire a great bartender.
> Otherwise they will be out of business within two
> years.

I would use the same argument as some of the other people on here - if the food is good, people will pay for it. Have you been to the Inn at Little Washington? It is in the middle of nowhere and people travel from the DMV at least over an hour to get there AND spend around $100 a person.

Also, have you eaten at the Heart in Hand? You are paying for the quality you get - which isn't very good.

Date: July 01, 2009 01:50PM

Trummer's food needs to be extremely good if they any chance of making it. I do think that they will do a good bar business. For quality food, I don't think the entree prices are out of whack. If their food is as good as the Inn at Little Washington's then they have a good shot. However, that is a big if! Thousands of restaurants try to replicate the level of quality found at I @ L W. Few if any succeed in doing so. It is a daunting task. In addition the I@LW has a fraction of the overhead that Trummer's has created. Rather than a practical remodel and renovation, Trummer's has gone all out (money is no object), gutting the old Hermitage and creating their ideal of a perfect restaurant. This by itself has to cost millions of dollars. It appears that there is going to be close to a million dollars in wine inventory alone. Because of these factors there is going to be a tremendous pressure for a per unit profit margin and volume of customers just to break even. In this declining market (of upper echelon dining) attaining either is a great challenge. In business success is most often acheived by how your product offering caters (no pun intended) to the times. In Trummer's case they appeared to have missed the boat.
With that being said, I hope Trummer's food matches the hype and that Trummer's has years of success. Depending on the local verdict, I look forward to my future visits to Trummer's.

Posted by: wow ()
Date: July 02, 2009 03:36AM

That was a plug if I ever saw one - you said Trummers 7 times

Date: July 02, 2009 09:59AM

Three in the last line alone. Wow!
While I have reservations (no pun intended) whether Trummer's will make it in the long run, I do look forward to dining there provided that the local feedback and reviews are good.

Date: July 02, 2009 08:21PM

The new signs were up today so it looks like they are pretty much done. I'm planning to check it out as soon as they open so I'll post a review soon.

Posted by: LRR ()
Date: July 03, 2009 05:26PM

Announcement today in the Centre View newspaper: Trummers on Main opens on 7-13!

Date: July 03, 2009 07:00PM

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=330482&paper=82&cat=180

On July 13th, a New York restaurateur couple will open Trummer's On Main, formerly the Hermitage Inn Restaurant, located on Clifton's Main Street.
Stefan and Victoria Trummer have relocated to Victoria's hometown to start the business. They come with a collective service, food and beverage background comprised of Citarella Restaurant, Bouley, 'upstairs' at Bouley, Masa, Restaurant RM and Compass in New York. Stefan's mixology will also play a part; a skill honed for years as a consultant for 202 Restaurant and Ultra Club in New York, L2 Lounge in Georgetown, DC, and Hangar 7 in Austria, his native country.
The executive chef role will be filled by Clayton Miller, offering Creative American cuisine in the form of such dishes as Vanilla Braised Pork Brisket with Rhubarb and Cherry Leaf and Sake Poached Loup de Mer with Matsutake Mushrooms, Jerusalem Artichoke and Tamarind. The chef's resume includes Norman's in Orlando, The French Laundry, and Daniel. Completing the kitchen leadership is Pastry Chef Chris Ford, formerly of Chikalicious in New York. Such desserts include Virginia Strawberry Torchon with Pound Cake Streusel and Brown Butter Custard with Lemonade Sorbet. Overseeing the 10,000-bottle wine cellar and wine program is Sommelier Tyler Packwood, formerly of The Inn at Little Washington.
The restaurant will be open Monday through Sunday for dinner; Sunday brunch (11:30 a.m.-4 p.m.); Lounge (Monday-Saturday 5 p.m.-12 a.m.). Located at 7134 Main Street, Clifton; 703-266-1623; www.trummersonmain.com.

Posted by: DeAndre ()
Date: July 03, 2009 07:51PM

An onyx bar lit from beneath? That is seriously happening. I know my woman is going to love that.

I'm not so sure about the "creative" cuisine. What's up with that? Stick to the basics.

As for Stefan's "mixology," I don't think I'll be needing it. Straight-up Hennessy or Courvoisier suits me fine. (And yes, I can afford it.)

In conclusion, I will be checking it out, and if it's good, I'll be bringing my crew. (And yes, they can afford it too.)

Last thing - food, drink, check. But what about the music? Trummers isn't happening without a DJ playing the good tunes (drum and bass, some electro you can dance or chill to like Cut Copy or Justice).

Remember, people are out for a good time. They don't want to feel like they're stuck in a museum or a library.

Date: July 04, 2009 08:45AM

Sounds like it might be a bit too exotic for Clifton. We'll see.

Posted by: Hornets58 ()
Date: July 04, 2009 02:04PM

Just booked my reservation for Monday night, July 13. I can't wait to see/taste what the wait was all about. I'll report back about the experience.

Posted by: JDL ()
Date: July 04, 2009 02:21PM

Jerusalem artichoke?

Oy, the tribe is welcome here!

Posted by: Fairfax22032 ()
Date: July 06, 2009 03:00PM

A little more from today's WaPo:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/goingoutgurus/?hpid=news-col-blog-viewall

Sounds like an interesting place, but time will tell whether this white table cloth restaurant will succeed. The pedigree of its kitchen staff is strong and it would be nice to see some creative dishes without having to venture into DC.

Posted by: YumVA ()
Date: July 07, 2009 04:03PM

As for me, I can't wait to try Trummer's on Main. I've heard awesome things already. Why don't the critics drop in for a meal and see for themselves?

Posted by: Call them ()
Date: July 07, 2009 04:12PM

Hey, you should give them a buzz and ask them. I bet they will. www.trummersonmain.com

Date: July 07, 2009 04:13PM

YumVA Wrote:
> As for me, I can't wait to try Trummer's on Main.
> I've heard awesome things already. Why don't the
> critics drop in for a meal and see for themselves?

I'll probably try it. I just have to question if a restaurant charging what it does located where it is is going to be successful long term.

Date: July 07, 2009 08:33PM

I have reservations for opening night. I'm not expecting perfection--it will be opening night, after all--but I'd like to support them. I will post on Tuesday with my thoughts. I'm looking forward to it...

Date: July 08, 2009 08:28AM

http://www.northernvirginiamag.com/tag/trummers-on-main/

Trummer’s on Main

Victoria and Stefan Trummer have devoted the last year of their lives to transforming the former Hermitage Inn into their new restaurant, Trummer’s on Main. And we’ll finally get a peek at the fruits of their labor when they formally open their doors on Monday, July 13.

The Trummers have entrusted chef Clayton Miller with helping to realize their epicurean dreams, a responsibility he takes quite seriously. Miller describes views his cooking style as modern American, which means he’s only too happy to draw inspiration from all over the globe in order to weave exotic flavors into local ingredients.

He’s also a fan of carving out separate dining experiences within a single venue, which is why Trummer’s will feature gourmet snacks at the bar (available by request in the main dining room), seasonal a la carte offerings as well as a fluid multicourse tasting menu (3-5 courses or chef’s choice) in the main dining room and a 3-course brunch (coming soon) predicated on fresh pastries, homestyle favorites and snappy petit fours.

“I want the guests to have flexibility,” Miller suggests.

Posted by: Chica ()
Date: July 08, 2009 07:35PM

I got a postcard today saying they are taking reservations starting today, even though the official opening isn't until July 13. So if you are really interested in getting in, call and get in before the crowd on the 13th. oh...and be sure to post a review!

I will give them a few weeks to work out the problems. They have done a really nice job landscaping. It really needed that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2009 07:36PM by Chica.

Posted by: foodie ()
Date: July 08, 2009 07:41PM

I hope it's as good as Alto Plaza!

Pages: 1234AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.