HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...391392393394395396397398399400401...LastNext
Current Page: 396 of 921
Re: The Mike O'Meara Show
Posted by: peekza ()
Date: June 08, 2014 09:08PM

morning zoo is dead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> " Now my personal satisfaction comes from the
> > feedback I get from my listening audience."
>
>
> That's code for " the magic is gone."

No...that's code for " I don't get paid very much to do it now"

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 08, 2014 09:13PM

396...Semper Fathead...
Attachments:
Hey Kelly, remember us.jpg

Posted by: Fanny Mae ()
Date: June 08, 2014 09:54PM

So Robb believes that people who listen to the Failcast and then criticize it really like it, deep down inside. I guess that means Failcasters who regularly read this thread on FFXU like it, as well.

Date: June 08, 2014 11:21PM

Ugh. Tell us some more about how we feel, Slobb. How delusional do you have to be to not even acknowledge that someone might genuinely not like something you're doing? Total refusal to recognize that an opinion doesn't have to be supportive and positive in order to be valid doesn't exactly scream confidence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2014 11:24PM by Disgruntled OMearican.

Posted by: Book Reviewer ()
Date: June 09, 2014 07:10AM

The average person may have no interest in Mike's book, but for this forum it's fucking gold, Jerry! I am 100% certain Mike didn't actually read his own book before it was published. Not because he wanted the truth to come out, but because it was too much effort.

Date: June 09, 2014 08:35AM

Mike on the podcast format and radio:

"Right away, I loved the idea of a condensed broadcast, a concentrated version of what I had done on the radio for years and years. It was all the good stuff, the very best of what we do, and there was a more relaxed feeling because you didn't have to fill four or five hours a day. ... It's a different kind of show when you do 79 minutes versus 4 hours. When you have to fill a lot of time, you resort to interviews, contesting, and taking phone calls. There are times when I miss some of that stuff, but I prefer the show the way it is now."

"I have spent most of my life trying to please people, starting with my family. Always trying to impress -- trying too hard. I get into a room with them and I want to drop the names of people I have interviewed."

"We've got a fantastic partner in KCJJ, but do we want to expand into additional stations? You never say never, but I really enjoy what I'm doing right now. We've made it easy as possible for stations to pick up the show; we've formatted the podcast for radio."

"Radio is just like a lot of media in America right now, dictated by a bunch of scared rabbits that get nervous around innovative, original content. I am not really anxious to jump back into an environment where people are playing scared."

Posted by: Mike D ()
Date: June 09, 2014 09:16AM

The flip flopping is hilarious.

So you don't want to get back into radio because you've done that and you hate the culture and radio is filled with scared rabbits. So you make sure to keep your podcast "radio friendly" just in case someone wants to pick it up, which means you'll jump right back into the thing you claim to hate and be over with?

Who gives a flying fuck about radio? If you're doing a podcast, then just do a podcast as good as you can. Make THAT show grow and radio can go fuck itself. This isn't brain surgery you Lazy Fat Fuck. Just pick a road and commit to it.

I know, I know. I'm telling Mike to be dedicated and focused. We all know how that goes.

Posted by: Blobb Spewsack ()
Date: June 09, 2014 09:23AM

Don't forget to submit a review, and vote on the "helpfulness" of existing reviews.

Posted by: Mike D ()
Date: June 09, 2014 09:28AM

Blobb Spewsack Wrote:
> Don't forget to submit a review, and vote on the
> "helpfulness" of existing reviews.

Absolutely. Been doing that already! I love how the Klubbers are giving it 5 stars and it's saying that they have the paperback edition. Which isn't available to order until today, which won't be delivered until Wednesday at the earliest.

Yeah and WE'RE the ones with an agenda.

Fucking shills.

Date: June 09, 2014 10:22AM

Hidebound Mike, despite his protestations to the contrary, still views interviews as simply filler (like strip trivia and listener calls). Since he's now all in on the wonders of podcasting, perhaps he should tell Maron, Harwicke, Carolla, Sklars, Eisen, Macdonald et al that they're doing it all wrong.

Date: June 09, 2014 10:27AM

Blobb Spewsack Wrote:
> Don't forget to submit a review, and vote on the
> "helpfulness" of existing reviews.

Basing how helpful you find a review on how much you agree with it is sadly not unique to the clubbers. But it is embarrassing how seriously they're taking all of this. News flash, cult members! Nobody is ever going to see these reviews except of all of us. It doesn't actually matter what ANYONE thinks.

Posted by: bubbyman ()
Date: June 09, 2014 10:56AM

I've been reading the reviews and one theme seems to run in all the positive reviews, and today Mike and Oscar made the same point, "If you're a fan of the show, this book is for you."

Great way to market guys, tell anyone that's never heard the show,"Hey this book's not for you. Don't buy it, you won't understand it." Because counting on the current listeners will rocket the book to the top of the NY Times bestseller list.

Date: June 09, 2014 11:26AM

Open Mike.

Only those who "get it", need to get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 11:41AM by Blobb Spewsack.

Posted by: enzo ()
Date: June 09, 2014 11:42AM

Fat Ass is about as white bread corporate as you can get. And that is why he keeps the Fraudcast® radio-friendly. There is nothing edgy, provocative or interesting about him or his idiotic fart parade. The fact that he claims to hate radio management and at the same time actually desires to get affiliates shows you the basic hypocrisy and CONFUSION that exists in his bird brain.

Posted by: Curious Bob Hope ()
Date: June 09, 2014 12:11PM

enzo Wrote:
> Fat Ass is about as white bread corporate as you
> can get. And that is why he keeps the Fraudcast®
> radio-friendly. There is nothing edgy,
> provocative or interesting about him or his
> idiotic fart parade. The fact that he claims to
> hate radio management and at the same time
> actually desires to get affiliates shows you the
> basic hypocrisy and CONFUSION that exists in his
> bird brain.

Confused is the word of the day.

"I HATE radio!" "It's important we keep a radio-friendly format".

Wat.

Posted by: Radio Sux ()
Date: June 09, 2014 12:22PM

It's amazing to me how much Mike can hate an industry that made him a millionaire. He acts like chickenshit radio management is a new thing. He needs to read Private Parts. The only difference between now and then is that Don dealt with all the bullshit while Mike collected his pay. Simply said, if Mike had been able to pull in ratings on his own, he would still be in radio. It's not radio's fault that the overwhelming majority of the listening public didn't "get it."

Date: June 09, 2014 12:37PM

Radio Sux Wrote:
> It's amazing to me how much Mike can hate an
> industry that made him a millionaire. He acts like
> chickenshit radio management is a new thing. He
> needs to read Private Parts. The only difference
> between now and then is that Don dealt with all
> the bullshit while Mike collected his pay. Simply
> said, if Mike had been able to pull in ratings on
> his own, he would still be in radio. It's not
> radio's fault that the overwhelming majority of
> the listening public didn't "get it."

Time to play devil's advocate. I actually believe that it's impossible for shows like Don and Mike to succeed in today's radio. I mean, look at Opie and Anthony - reduced to doing satellite, and Opie has been vocal before about the freedom that doing a podcast would provide.

Where Mike is falling behind is sticking with the shitty radio format. Don dropped the radio format faster than RP3's mom drops her panties when a bag of meth is offered, and he's already more successful than Mike (not like that was hard...).

Posted by: Ermagerd Drted Rfrnce ()
Date: June 09, 2014 12:39PM

The consistent comment that always comes out of Radio Personalities mouths when talking about why they are not on the air anymore is ALWAYS that the higher ups stifled creativity and would not let them do what they wanted to do.

It is NEVER EVER talking about how the interest in personality driven radio which is set on somebody else's schedule is a dead medium.

There are a lot of things to blame, obviously, and maybe if the "suits" had let the reigns loose that maybe it would have been more interesting for a time, but it really isn't as true as they all believe.

"If only they had let me do what I wanted...I'd be the king of radio!!!!"

But look at Howard, he went to satellite and was pretty much forgotten. He was a huge cultural touchstone for decades, and once he went to a format which allowed him to do exactly what he wanted with little to no restrictions? He vanished.

(Yes, I know Howard is still on the air. Yes, I know Howard still has a massive following. But you have to admit, once he went to satellite, it was out of sight out of mind for the vast majority of people)

It's a dead medium that they are all desperately clinging to.

Posted by: jhopkins ()
Date: June 09, 2014 01:00PM

I think radio really comes down to this:
AM
NPR
everything else

The people that listen to what is on AM (right-wing, left-wing, god, etc) will listen to that because that is what they want.

The people that listen to NPR, will tune into NPR, because they want to and because NPR builds their broadcast schedule around when their audience is in the car.

Everything else used to be things like D&M and Howard, but the people that tuned into that aren't listening to the radio, they are on their phone be it a call or music or a podcast, they moved on. They don't have to hear pop song #42 for the 10th time that day. They don't have to hear the LFF talk about his dog taking a shit again. These people that used to be the audience for this type of programming, programs their own stations now.

Posted by: Peanut ()
Date: June 09, 2014 01:08PM

Ermagerd Drted Rfrnce Wrote:

> But look at Howard, he went to satellite and was
> pretty much forgotten. He was a huge cultural
> touchstone for decades, and once he went to a
> format which allowed him to do exactly what he
> wanted with little to no restrictions? He
> vanished.
>
> (Yes, I know Howard is still on the air. Yes, I
> know Howard still has a massive following. But
> you have to admit, once he went to satellite, it
> was out of sight out of mind for the vast majority
> of people)
>
> It's a dead medium that they are all desperately
> clinging to.

You're talking out of your ass. Howard is on network TV every week and is bigger than ever. WTF. AFT was the #1 rated show last week....period.

Posted by: well adjusted ()
Date: June 09, 2014 01:28PM

Pork Chop Suitcase Wrote:
> although, to be fair, it does appear
> that he may have changed a few things on the
> podcast based on things we've said here.

enzo Wrote:
> The problem with Robb is that he has not been
> taped to a tree lately

Preferably on a public road so people can cruise by and throw stuff at him.
Leave him there when the cops show up. Of course videotape the whole thing.

Tease it first and ask for donations, hell I'd throw in a couple drachmas.

Have Robb go to Costco and apologize to the Asian lady he secretly taped.

Make it a weekly segment - 'Robb's Public Humiliation.'
Tons of material, and Oscar would gleefully produce it.

Gold.

Mike, Robb, Oscar, show some guts and do it.

Date: June 09, 2014 01:44PM

On show prep:

Mike: "After 25-30 years in radio, you tune in to what people want to hear. You don't have to rely on hacky DJ prep services to send you discussion topics or sit there with the newspaper to find things to talk about."

Robb: "We've got the same 20 news items from the Associated Press that every other talk show has, but it's our spin on them that makes them unique. It's like Iron Chef. We've got the same ingredients as everyone else, but we're going to make the best tasting food."

Mike: "The best content for our show would be if one of us was an eyewitness to a disaster that was somehow funny. [example:] Robb gets trapped at the top of a roller coaster."
Oscar: "That would be fantastic."
Mike: "Wouldn't that be special? I almost want to pay someone to make it happen. ... Show preparation requires a dedication, a commitment."

Date: June 09, 2014 01:54PM

Young Mike:

his sister: "He was the younger child and he played on my mother's sympathies a lot. My mother to this day will admit she somewhat coddled him. My role was to toughen him up a bit."

sister on incident where she refused him to let him in the house with his skates on and he crapped his pants: "And of course, when my parents got home, I was the one who got in trouble for that. I humiliated him and he does love to tell that story. ... He doesn't talk about me having to help him clean that up while mumbling curses under my breath."

mother: "After Cathy graduated from college, she tried to tell me how to raise Mike."

sister: "I lived back home with Mike and my parents for a year. My brother was ruthless when I moved back home, very brutal to me saying, 'Why are you here? Aren't you supposed to living somewhere else at this point?' I always weighed in when whenever there was a concern about his behavior or his academics. I don't think he appreciated that."

Posted by: Four Hour Club ()
Date: June 09, 2014 01:58PM

Nice discussion today, again, on why the show can't be more than 80 minutes long. To recap, if it's more than 80 minutes, the Iowa station has to put it on two CDs, and that's a hassle. So clearly, the convenience of a board op at a AM station in Iowa trumps taking advantage of the freedom provided by doing a podcast. So stay tied to that 80 minute format, while Don puts out 2+ hours a day, and stops when he's had enough, not because the clock ran out. And throw in a self-imposed requirement to waste two segments reading news off Yahoo and playing some YouTube clips. Add a lame opening bit every day, and bam, you can scribble down three rambling topics on a yellow note pad two minutes before the show starts and you're set. This is surely a recipe for rocketing to the top.

Date: June 09, 2014 02:13PM

I like the way robb plays a recording of a horrible orchestra playing 2001...

But he's already played it on the show before.

Mike called him on that ("Why do I feel like we've heard this before")

Which Robb tries to quickly gloss over by saying it was a different group and recording. Which it wasn't.

FAT AND LAZY.

Date: June 09, 2014 02:25PM

Blobb Spewsack Wrote:
> I like the way robb plays a recording of a
> horrible orchestra playing 2001...
>
> But he's already played it on the show before.
>
> Mike called him on that ("Why do I feel like we've
> heard this before")
>
> Which Robb tries to quickly gloss over by saying
> it was a different group and recording. Which it
> wasn't.
>
> FAT AND LAZY.

And you KNOW it's fucked out if Mike remembers it because he can't remember shit

Date: June 09, 2014 02:35PM

Mike, both self-reflective and delusional:

"I have done things on and off the air that I am not proud of. I do not suffer fools, and I hate it when people behave badly. I am usually more reserved off the air, but I have my moments." (emphasis added)

Date: June 09, 2014 02:45PM

Needy...

Mike: "I have spent most of my life trying to please people, starting with my family. Always trying to impress -- trying too hard. ... I want to talk about my accomplishments in radio. It's constant with me. I can talk to my 93-year-old mom in the assisted living facility in Boston, and it's still, 'Mommy, Mommy, look what I did.' ... Especially when you are the baby in your family, you can feel inferior. It's a feeling I've always had with my cousins and my sister up in Maine. As the youngest, it can be hard to get the respect that you so desperately want."

Date: June 09, 2014 02:52PM

well adjusted Wrote:
> Pork Chop Suitcase Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > although, to be fair, it does appear
> > that he may have changed a few things on the
> > podcast based on things we've said here.
>
> enzo Wrote:
> -----
> > The problem with Robb is that he has not been
> > taped to a tree lately
>
>
> Preferably on a public road so people can cruise
> by and throw stuff at him.
> Leave him there when the cops show up. Of course
> videotape the whole thing.
>
> Tease it first and ask for donations, hell I'd
> throw in a couple drachmas.
>
> Have Robb go to Costco and apologize to the Asian
> lady he secretly taped.
>
> Make it a weekly segment - 'Robb's Public
> Humiliation.'
> Tons of material, and Oscar would gleefully
> produce it.
>
> Gold.
>
> Mike, Robb, Oscar, show some guts and do it.

Make sure to add the parents of the young girl Rob was having his daughter text for him last week. The game winner though would be the boy who played the DJ at the Grease performance.

Date: June 09, 2014 02:59PM

From today's show discussing Tracy Morgan, Mike and Rob both don't know that OTR driver hours are regulated by the government, Oscar had to correct them. Surprisingly, Mike was unaware of it even though he has driven a U-Haul and pulled a motorcycle trailer recently, which he pointed out of course.

Date: June 09, 2014 03:07PM

1. Driven a "22-foot box truck".

CHECK.

2. Pulled motorcycle behind vehicle.

CHECK.

Now an authority on all trucks and driving in general.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 03:12PM by Blobb Spewsack.

Date: June 09, 2014 03:13PM

Did you think I'd forget Robb?

Robb: "One of the driving forces that made me want to go into radio was that for my entire life, I have annoyed, interrupted, pissed people off, and cracked jokes at inopportune times. This got me in all kinds of trouble in school and made me one of the least popular people in my family... I was a loudmouthed kid. Not a rude kid, but a talker. A constant talker. ... On the show, I am a big, bloviating loudmouth. ... I am loud and brash, often saying things that I think people wish they could say but can't get away with in modern society. In real life, most of the time I'm polite and maybe even, in a totally foreign setting, shy. ... I do stuff with other parents and kids, and you can't be a loudmouth like that in real life, lest they label you an asshole. You don't want that. You don't want to be the people that [sic] no one wants to associate with because their father is 'that disc jockey.'"

Mike: "Who was the member of your family you annoyed the most?"
Robb: "Probably my dad."
Oscar: "Yeah, he left! He rolled out."
Robb: "He left the marriage."

Robb: "We all need and crave the 'attaboy.'... when my folks split, I was often shuttled off to my grandparents' house. My grandparents had eight kids, and I was essentially the ninth kid, because I was the oldest grandchild. ... It's a noisy house and it's easy to be overlooked. When you're just a kid, you want attention. I tried to be the loudest, the most talkative, the funniest. I tried to do everything I could to say, 'Look at me.' I craved attention. ... I'm in a constant quest to be liked by everybody, and not just on the radio. This is when I meet people in real life. If someone is standoffish, I want to win them over. I will focus on the one person that does not want to talk to me."

Robb: "There have been so many times that I have left the living room and my stomach hurts because I have been laughing for an hour. ... I don't [dread going to work]. I get excited every day. .. My wife works as a manager at a retail store. Every morning when she wakes up and every evening when she goes to bed she worries. ... We've never had that worry here."

Oscar: "He is Mr. Silver Lining -- there's always an upside."

Mike: "Robb doesn't seem to be bothered by any of life's issues."

Robb: "I worked for WJFK for 19 years, and working there was all I knew how to do. Thank God the podcast happened, so I was able to continue in the same line of work. I never really did anything except The Mike O'Meara Show, and before that The Don and Mike Show. If the podcast hadn't happened, I really never had a plan B. ... [A] day doesn't pass where I don't relish the stars aligning to bring TMOS to life as a podcast. We've landed where we should be. There are people who go through a lifetime and never get to land where they should be.

Author: "Robb, does it ever make you feel bad that your wife is so unhappy while you are so happy at work?"
Robb: "At times."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 04:05PM by Intractable Insobriety.

Posted by: Hi Mike ()
Date: June 09, 2014 03:13PM

Just brainstorming here but on the show today it was suggested that people post pictures of the "book" in interesting places...people with Photoshop have at it.

Date: June 09, 2014 03:19PM

They made it clear that the "post pics of the book" was a "marketing" strategy that they came up with.

Pretty bad in the best of circumstances, but they are relying on sales of physical books, which is just a small fraction of the tiny handful of people who will buy it at all.

Brilliant, guys, brilliant.

Date: June 09, 2014 03:27PM

Hi Mike Wrote:
> Just brainstorming here but on the show today it
> was suggested that people post pictures of the
> "book" in interesting places...people with
> Photoshop have at it.

I wish I had Photoshop skills. Right now I'm thinking of Robb's giant head (from the photoshop of him holding Oscar) on the Goatse guy, with a pic of the book right in the middle of the dookie.

I'm sure that's exactly what they have in mind.

Date: June 09, 2014 03:28PM

Blobb Spewsack Wrote:
> They made it clear that the "post pics of the
> book" was a "marketing" strategy that they came up
> with.
>
> Pretty bad in the best of circumstances, but they
> are relying on sales of physical books, which is
> just a small fraction of the tiny handful of
> people who will buy it at all.
>
> Brilliant, guys, brilliant.

their biggest profit margin is going to be e-book sales, which, unfortunately won't be that great since anyone with a kindle can read it for free through Amazon's library, So other than the klub(less than 1,000 strong), who is going to actually buy this book in either format?

Posted by: jhopkins ()
Date: June 09, 2014 03:29PM

If you read the book, you will come to the realization that the krew is really just that dumb.

Assuming the book is true, they just aren't bright.

Date: June 09, 2014 03:35PM

Mike about Buzz leaving? "That's when I came up with 3 guys busting each other's balls." Yes quite the sea change from the "4 guys busting each other's balls" they used before buzz left.

What about Don? We aren't that close anymore, it hurt me he did other shows without me, I'm glad he's diving into podcasting, and I'd give him a big hug if I see him again. The quotes for these are to long and rambling to copy.

Date: June 09, 2014 03:39PM

bubbyman Wrote:
> Mike about Buzz leaving? "That's when I came up
> with 3 guys busting each other's balls." Yes quite
> the sea change from the "4 guys busting each
> other's balls" they used before buzz left.
>
> What about Don? We aren't that close anymore, it
> hurt me he did other shows without me, I'm glad
> he's diving into podcasting, and I'd give him a
> big hug if I see him again. The quotes for these
> are to long and rambling to copy.

I don't know....you think Don's feelings were hurt when his wife was tragically killed in a car wreck and all Mike could do was worry about having to "steer the show" in Don's time of need?

Date: June 09, 2014 03:45PM

peekza Wrote:
>
> I don't know....you think Don's feelings were hurt
> when his wife was tragically killed in a car wreck
> and all Mike could do was worry about having to
> "steer the show" in Don's time of need?

In Mike's defense(might be the first time those three words have been typed together on this thread), he did at least say he had no way of knowing what Don was going through at the time, but he still somehow made it all about Mike.

Date: June 09, 2014 03:54PM

bubbyman Wrote:
> peekza Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > I don't know....you think Don's feelings were
> hurt
> > when his wife was tragically killed in a car
> wreck
> > and all Mike could do was worry about having to
> > "steer the show" in Don's time of need?
>
>
> In Mike's defense(might be the first time those
> three words have been typed together on this
> thread), he did at least say he had no way of
> knowing what Don was going through at the time,
> but he still somehow made it all about Mike.

It shouldn't take "somewhat of an expert" to figure out that if your partner's wife suddenly dies a horribly needless death, that there might be some sort of melt down/depression in the future...Would you need to be told? Honestly, I'd be more embarrassed about "needing to be told" than I would about callously ignoring his pain...But then, I'm just a hater...

Date: June 09, 2014 03:59PM

and a vitriolic one at that...

Date: June 09, 2014 04:03PM

Hi Mike Wrote:
> Just brainstorming here but on the show today it
> was suggested that people post pictures of the
> "book" in interesting places...people with
> Photoshop have at it.

has Spewak posted a bathroom iPhone photo of him holding it yet?

Date: June 09, 2014 04:04PM

Intractable Insobriety Wrote:
> and a vitriolic one at that...

I prefer to think of myself as a vitriolic pitier. When you consider TMOS in the greater landscape of podcasts, with the history it has...damn. It just makes you wonder what the fuck happened here...

Date: June 09, 2014 04:08PM

Fair enough, CBH, but what about Robbay? Pity or hate?

Date: June 09, 2014 04:10PM

or maybe hateful pity.

Date: June 09, 2014 04:16PM

> Fair enough, CBH, but what about Robbay? Pity or
> hate?

I don't enjoy listening to him. But like I posted a page or so ago, reading the book put me in a different place with regard to TMOS. I don't actively dislike Robb as much as I did. Doesn't mean I don't think he's annoying. I think Don had it right with him in the background.

I'll tell you what it was - he was honest in the book. I tend to be not so critical of those who recognize their faults - and even play off of them, as it seems that is Robb's goal. That earned him a lot of points with me. Not enough to become part of the Mobb or anything.

I will say that I don't blame Headd for where TMOS is. At least not directly. That blame falls squarelly on Mike. Oscar has been a rock star trying to keep this ship afloat.

Does that mean I'm not going to bust Headd's balls? Of course not. Like Mike went on about in his book, they are public figures. They open themselves up to our criticism.

To actually answer your question, I pity Robb. He has invested everything into radio, and when it south, he clung to the only life raft he saw available. The fact that Mike failed him is not entirely Headd's doing.

Posted by: Ermagerd Drted Rfrnce ()
Date: June 09, 2014 04:17PM

Blobb Spewsack Wrote:
> They made it clear that the "post pics of the
> book" was a "marketing" strategy that they came up
> with.
>
> Pretty bad in the best of circumstances, but they
> are relying on sales of physical books, which is
> just a small fraction of the tiny handful of
> people who will buy it at all.
>
> Brilliant, guys, brilliant.

JACK CASSI....UMMM....BOOK CASSIDY!

Date: June 09, 2014 04:26PM

Curious Bob Hope Wrote:
> Intractable Insobriety Wrote:
> -----
> > Fair enough, CBH, but what about Robbay? Pity
> or
> > hate?
>
>
> I don't enjoy listening to him. But like I posted
> a page or so ago, reading the book put me in a
> different place with regard to TMOS. I don't
> actively dislike Robb as much as I did. Doesn't
> mean I don't think he's annoying. I think Don had
> it right with him in the background.
>
> I'll tell you what it was - he was honest in the
> book. I tend to be not so critical of those who
> recognize their faults - and even play off of
> them, as it seems that is Robb's goal. That earned
> him a lot of points with me. Not enough to become
> part of the Mobb or anything.
>
> I will say that I don't blame Headd for where TMOS
> is. At least not directly. That blame falls
> squarelly on Mike. Oscar has been a rock star
> trying to keep this ship afloat.
>
> Does that mean I'm not going to bust Headd's
> balls? Of course not. Like Mike went on about in
> his book, they are public figures. They open
> themselves up to our criticism.
>
> To actually answer your question, I pity Robb. He
> has invested everything into radio, and
> when it south, he clung to the only life raft he
> saw available. The fact that Mike failed him is
> not entirely Headd's doing.

I am hesitant to read any more of the book because I'm happy with the way I view the failcast and I would hate to have them humanized the way Oliver Stone's movie W. did President Bush...I would literally hate for my hatred to turn to pity...

Date: June 09, 2014 04:29PM

> Fair enough, CBH, but what about Robbay? Pity or
> hate?

Hateful pity at the very least...that fat fuck-up deserves every bit of shit that gets hurled his way and more...If only for laughing at his wife's unhappiness or coveting an 8th grader's role in a play...

Date: June 09, 2014 04:30PM

As pathetic as Robb's story is, he has a huge mean streak in him that I can't ignore.

He couches it as humor, but I truly find him deplorable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 04:30PM by Blobb Spewsack.

Date: June 09, 2014 04:33PM

peekza Wrote:
> I am hesitant to read any more of the book because
> I'm happy with the way I view the failcast and I
> would hate to have them humanized the way Oliver
> Stone's movie W. did President Bush...I would
> literally hate for my hatred to turn to pity...

Peekza, I will only say that I think it's a real possibility. The thing Mike reveals are actually SAD, but I don't think they were intended to be as such. Intractable has done a superb job with the quotes. If I had to go into further detail, I would say that Oscar came out looking the best. That might be because Oscar is actually hardworking and puts in the work, but my view of Oscar hasn't diminished at all.

I've already given my opinion on Headd. By the way, at some point in the book Headd talks about how he was getting sloshed daily while unemployed. I'm sure Intractable can pull the actual quote. Alcoholism is no stranger to Headd or LFF.

Mike..between his sister's comments and the stories Mike voluntarily shared..I spent most of the book going "How did this get in?". In my opinion, it did not put Mike in a good light. It made Robb look human, but it made Mike look like a fuck up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 04:34PM by Curious Bob Hope.

Date: June 09, 2014 04:35PM

Blobb Spewsack Wrote:
> As pathetic as Robb's story is, he has a huge mean
> streak in him that I can't ignore.
>
> He couches it as humor, but I truly find him
> deplorable.

He does. But I also suspect he plays it up a bit for the show. He openly admits he tones it down outside the show.

Jesus, am I defending the Headd? At what point do I get banned from FFXU?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 04:35PM by Curious Bob Hope.

Date: June 09, 2014 04:39PM

Curious Bob Hope Wrote:
At what point do
> I get banned from FFXU?

LOLOLOL

Date: June 09, 2014 04:39PM

Blobb Spewsack Wrote:
> As pathetic as Robb's story is, he has a huge mean
> streak in him that I can't ignore.
>
> He couches it as humor, but I truly find him
> deplorable.

Agreed...His poor treatment of those he deems beneath him is the exact reason he can't get a job in broadcasting anymore...

Date: June 09, 2014 04:56PM

Curious Bob Hope Wrote:
> He does. But I also suspect he plays it up a bit
> for the show. He openly admits he tones it down
> outside the show.

Sure. He's different even on Cake & Cookies. And thank God because having TMOS Robb with "Overly expressive like I'm hosting a children's show" Katie together would be too much.

Date: June 09, 2014 04:59PM

Have a drink, Robb.

Robb, after WJFK's TMOS cancellation: "Mostly what I remember at that time is drinking a lot. There was never any reason to get up early or to go to bed at any sensible time. You think, 'Another drink? Sure, why not?'"

Date: June 09, 2014 05:07PM

The fact that they let a CD dictate the length of their show is a perfect example of how lazy/clueless they really are...Tell KCJJ to go fuck themselves and you'd have a much better show...

Date: June 09, 2014 05:11PM

Disgruntled OMearican Wrote:
> Curious Bob Hope Wrote:
> -----
> > He does. But I also suspect he plays it up a
> bit
> > for the show. He openly admits he tones it down
> > outside the show.
>
> Sure. He's different even on Cake & Cookies. And
> thank God because having TMOS Robb with "Overly
> expressive like I'm hosting a children's show"
> Katie together would be too much.

For me, I really began to be bothered by Robb after listening to him on C&C. He is a little more relaxed there and I think we therefore see more of the real Robb, unfortunately for us and him. That's where he talked about the poor middle-schooler in Grease. I get the racist schtick he's aiming for on TMOS -- not funny to me but I get what he's trying to do -- but the undisguised, shameless enmity he had for that poor kid made me stop in my tracks. Yes, Spewak's a troubled man-boy with issues, but c'mon, his behavior is just wrong.

Posted by: Hugh Mever ()
Date: June 09, 2014 05:13PM

> Blobb Spewsack Wrote:
> -----
> > Don't forget to submit a review, and vote on
> the
> > "helpfulness" of existing reviews.
>
> Basing how helpful you find a review on how much
> you agree with it is sadly not unique to the
> clubbers. But it is embarrassing how seriously
> they're taking all of this. News flash, cult
> members! Nobody is ever going to see these reviews
> except of all of us. It doesn't actually matter
> what ANYONE thinks.

That's what I said last week. They don't want to hear it. Every day somebody says something about the show "continuing to grow." They think it is going to be just as big as Carolla's any day now.

Date: June 09, 2014 05:15PM

> Have a drink, Robb.
>
> Robb, after WJFK's TMOS cancellation: "Mostly what
> I remember at that time is drinking a lot. There
> was never any reason to get up early or to go to
> bed at any sensible time. You think, 'Another
> drink? Sure, why not?'"

Having to support your family isn't a good enough reason to go to bed/get up at a reasonable hour? So, instead of striking while the iron was hot and his name was "still out there", he sank into an alcoholic coma? Sounds like you latched onto a winner Cary...Is it any wonder lil Robert has trouble respecting his father?

Date: June 09, 2014 05:16PM

> Disgruntled OMearican Wrote:
> -----
> > Curious Bob Hope Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > He does. But I also suspect he plays it up a
> > bit
> > > for the show. He openly admits he tones it
> down
> > > outside the show.
> >
> > Sure. He's different even on Cake & Cookies.
> And
> > thank God because having TMOS Robb with "Overly
> > expressive like I'm hosting a children's show"
> > Katie together would be too much.
>
> For me, I really began to be bothered by Robb
> after listening to him on C&C. He is a
> little more relaxed there and I think we therefore
> see more of the real Robb, unfortunately for us
> and him. That's where he talked about the poor
> middle-schooler in Grease. I get the racist
> schtick he's aiming for on TMOS -- not funny to me
> but I get what he's trying to do -- but the
> undisguised, shameless enmity he had for that poor
> kid made me stop in my tracks. Yes, Spewak's a
> troubled man-boy with issues, but c'mon, his
> behavior is just wrong.

yeah, he lost all benefit of the doubt when I still listened to C&C

Date: June 09, 2014 05:18PM

I love how Mike said "I don't care if you liked it or not, just give it 5 stars"

Date: June 09, 2014 05:22PM

Hugh Mever Wrote:

> That's what I said last week. They don't want to
> hear it. Every day somebody says something about
> the show "continuing to grow." They think it is
> going to be just as big as Carolla's any day now.

I really don't think it is.

There is no buzz around TMOS. As (i believe it was hahaha) a previous poster stated, the Klub gets a little activity in the morning, then it goes dead. Until such time as someone criticizes the show, then it's all hands on deck in full attack mode.

That group has over 1000 members. FFXU doesn't have near those numbers in this thread. Yet our thread is way more active than the fan Klub.

Date: June 09, 2014 05:23PM

peekza Wrote:
> I love how Mike said "I don't care if you liked it
> or not, just give it 5 stars"

What an insecure little boy.

Date: June 09, 2014 05:24PM

peekza Wrote:
> I love how Mike said "I don't care if you liked it
> or not, just give it 5 stars"

I don't care if you mean it or not! Only tell me things I want to hear! Not TOO obvious.

And now he's joking that he sees his daughters more now than he did when he lived in Manassas. Being an absentee father is hilarious!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 05:27PM by Disgruntled OMearican.

Posted by: Drinker Robb ()
Date: June 09, 2014 05:38PM

So basically Robb decided to just be shit-faced for five months after WJFK cancelled TMOS?? I've never been fired from a job, but I guarantee you I might be shit-faced the first night, but that Monday I would start working every lead I had to land something to provide for my family. Robb is a useless pile of shit.

Date: June 09, 2014 05:38PM

peekza Wrote:

> yeah, he lost all benefit of the doubt when I
> still listened to C&C

What, you're out, pussy?

Date: June 09, 2014 05:45PM

Drinker Robb Wrote:
> So basically Robb decided to just be shit-faced
> for five months after WJFK cancelled TMOS?? I've
> never been fired from a job, but I guarantee you I
> might be shit-faced the first night, but that
> Monday I would start working every lead I had to
> land something to provide for my family. Robb is a
> useless pile of shit.

Meh they had that Safeway money coming in. Robb could relax.

(I actually don't know if Cary works at Safeway..I just picked a store).

Date: June 09, 2014 05:47PM

Drinker Robb Wrote:
> Robb is a useless pile of shit.

On that topic, Mike's following comment may explain why he keeps Robb around:

"Even with solid prep, you still have to be ready to dance when that microphone's on. As Don and I used to say on a regular basis, 'Be ready to make pudding out of shit.'"

Date: June 09, 2014 05:56PM

> peekza Wrote:
> -----
>
> > yeah, he lost all benefit of the doubt when I
> > still listened to C&C
>
> What, you're out, pussy?

I know...I'm sorry...I am a pussy...I just couldn't take it anymore....The babytalk...Robb slobbering all over Katie...the descriptions of his room/fridge/bathroom...the Getting to Know you segment...the fact that he refers to the ground floor of his house as a basement...I have no point of reference, but I would be willing to bet sticking broken bottles in your butt couldn't be as painful as listening to another episode...I'm embarrassed...I'm ashamed of myself...but I just couldn't listen past episode 15...please don't judge me...

Date: June 09, 2014 05:59PM

> Drinker Robb Wrote:
> -----
> > Robb is a useless pile of shit.
>
> On that topic, Mike's following comment may
> explain why he keeps Robb around:
>
> "Even with solid prep, you still have to be ready
> to dance when that microphone's on. As Don and I
> used to say on a regular basis, 'Be ready to make
> pudding out of shit.'"

Mike keeps Robb around because nobody on Earth can kiss an ass like Robb...He can suck out the peanuts without Mike having to pull his pants down...

Date: June 09, 2014 06:18PM

I believe someone requested this
Attachments:
What an ass.jpg

Date: June 09, 2014 06:35PM

peekza Wrote:
> ..please don't
> judge me...

No worries, I don't know the amount of money that would make me listen to that, but it'd be pretty high.

Date: June 09, 2014 06:36PM

Is that book like, really thin?

Date: June 09, 2014 06:37PM

well adjusted Wrote:
> Is that book like, really thin?

181 and that's with transcripts of the show

Date: June 09, 2014 06:38PM

188 pages, so 100 or so literal pages. Yeah. It's a pamphlet.

Oops. I thought Amazon said it was 188. Even so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 06:40PM by Disgruntled OMearican.

Date: June 09, 2014 06:39PM

peekza Wrote:
> I believe someone requested this

No, no, no, no no. I would like to know what time he posted that, though.

Date: June 09, 2014 06:39PM

peekza Wrote:
> I believe someone requested this

OMG, I need an intervention, how did I know he'd do that? Too f'ing predictable.

Date: June 09, 2014 06:42PM

> 188 pages, so 100 or so literal pages. Yeah. It's
> a pamphlet.

Also, every time it's an interview excerpt, the person's name takes up 4-5 lines.

Date: June 09, 2014 06:44PM

peekza Wrote:
> -----
> > peekza Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > > yeah, he lost all benefit of the doubt when I
> > > still listened to C&C
> >
> > What, you're out, pussy?
>
>
> I know...I'm sorry...I am a pussy...I just
> couldn't take it anymore....The babytalk...Robb
> slobbering all over Katie...the descriptions of
> his room/fridge/bathroom...the Getting to Know you
> segment...the fact that he refers to the ground
> floor of his house as a basement...I have no point
> of reference, but I would be willing to bet
> sticking broken bottles in your butt couldn't be
> as painful as listening to another episode...I'm
> embarrassed...I'm ashamed of myself...but I just
> couldn't listen past episode 15...please don't
> judge me...

As the social workers say, "no shaming, no blaming," peek. (If we were in a foxhole together and a grenade rolled in, we know who'd throw himself on it, tho).

Date: June 09, 2014 06:46PM

bubbyman Wrote:
> peekza Wrote:
> -----
> > I believe someone requested this
>
>
> No, no, no, no no. I would like to know what time
> he posted that, though.

11-ish or so hours ago

Date: June 09, 2014 06:50PM

> Hi Mike Wrote:
> -----
> > Just brainstorming here but on the show today
> it
> > was suggested that people post pictures of the
> > "book" in interesting places...people with
> > Photoshop have at it.
>
> has Spewak posted a bathroom iPhone photo of him
> holding it yet?

I'm not on Facebook, so Scout's Honor, I didn't know he'd done it.

Date: June 09, 2014 06:50PM

> peekza Wrote:
> -----
> > Intractable Insobriety Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > peekza Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > >
> > > > yeah, he lost all benefit of the doubt when
> I
> > > > still listened to C&C
> > >
> > > What, you're out, pussy?
> >
> >
> > I know...I'm sorry...I am a pussy...I just
> > couldn't take it anymore....The babytalk...Robb
> > slobbering all over Katie...the descriptions of
> > his room/fridge/bathroom...the Getting to Know
> you
> > segment...the fact that he refers to the ground
> > floor of his house as a basement...I have no
> point
> > of reference, but I would be willing to bet
> > sticking broken bottles in your butt couldn't
> be
> > as painful as listening to another
> episode...I'm
> > embarrassed...I'm ashamed of myself...but I
> just
> > couldn't listen past episode 15...please don't
> > judge me...
>
> As the social workers say, "no shaming, no
> blaming," peek. (If we were in a foxhole together
> and a grenade rolled in, we know who'd throw
> himself on it, tho).

ahahahahaha...I'd throw myself on the grenade if it meant skipping C&C for another week

Date: June 09, 2014 06:52PM

> -----
> > Hi Mike Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Just brainstorming here but on the show today
> > it
> > > was suggested that people post pictures of
> the
> > > "book" in interesting places...people with
> > > Photoshop have at it.
> >
> > has Spewak posted a bathroom iPhone photo of
> him
> > holding it yet?
>
> I'm not on Facebook, so Scout's Honor, I didn't
> know he'd done it.

it's all good...it was bound to happen at some point...As you said...that jackass is predictable...It's his one-trick

Posted by: Spoowak ()
Date: June 09, 2014 07:02PM

Here's our radio legend Rob whining about how his name is spelled in HIS DAUGHTER'S MIDDLE-SCHOOL yearbook. What mature adult wouldn't find this funny if presented with the same thing? Who the fuck would even give a rat's ass? And actually, the school got the spelling right. Congratulations to them for not going along with Spewak's schticky "boss DJ" spelling of his first name. What a complete dick.
Attachments:
dick.JPG

Posted by: Mr Helper ()
Date: June 09, 2014 07:05PM

peekza Wrote:
> The fact that they let a CD dictate the length of
> their show is a perfect example of how
> lazy/clueless they really are...Tell KCJJ to go
> fuck themselves and you'd have a much better
> show...

The lazy fucker wants to have a reason to stop. I bet it drove him crazy in the old D&M days when Don would make the shows go over time. Even with the bonus shows, he acts like there is some pressure to stop after an hour. He says stuff like, "we're up against it folks". I emailed the show a couple years ago and asked, "up against what, there is no reason to rush to finish a bonus show is there?" Rob's answer was that they weren't in a hurry to finish, just in a hurry to get everything in. Huh? Anyway that was one of the reasons I didn't renew the bonus shows. Lack of effort in every way. And a big thanks to I.I. for providing all the quotes from the book.

Posted by: Rob, job ()
Date: June 09, 2014 07:08PM

It should be one B... as in Job. I guess if you don't have a real job, he wouldn't know.

Posted by: Rib Spedick ()
Date: June 09, 2014 07:11PM

Spoowak Wrote:
> Here's our radio legend Rob whining about how his
> name is spelled in HIS DAUGHTER'S MIDDLE-SCHOOL
> yearbook. What mature adult wouldn't find this
> funny if presented with the same thing? Who the
> fuck would even give a rat's ass? And actually,
> the school got the spelling right. Congratulations
> to them for not going along with Spewak's schticky
> "boss DJ" spelling of his first name. What a
> complete dick.

Sorry CBH, got absolutely no sympathy for this self absorbed piece of shit. Fuck you Rob and fuck your other b.

Date: June 09, 2014 07:20PM

> -----
> > Hi Mike Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Just brainstorming here but on the show today
> > it
> > > was suggested that people post pictures of
> the
> > > "book" in interesting places...people with
> > > Photoshop have at it.
> >
> > has Spewak posted a bathroom iPhone photo of
> him
> > holding it yet?
>
> I'm not on Facebook, so Scout's Honor, I didn't
> know he'd done it.

I was actually wondering if it was the other way around: Rob about two drinks in makes the afternoon trip over here and suddenly realizes he forgot to do it. Should have remembered he's dedicated like that though.

Date: June 09, 2014 07:24PM

peekza Wrote:
> The fact that they let a CD dictate the length of
> their show is a perfect example of how
> lazy/clueless they really are...Tell KCJJ to go
> fuck themselves and you'd have a much better
> show...

Let the show go as long as it needs. (I thought it was "organic," LFF). Let KCJJ play their damn 79 minutes.

It ain't that hard, Spewak.

Date: June 09, 2014 07:31PM

Since it seems everyone's here tonight, anyone think they can do 5-10 minutes on something that has upset them about the show or the new book? I'm thinking if I can get enough I can easily put up a half hour present for the crew in celebration of the book release. I can edit out uhhs and change voice pitch without it being too obvious if you don't want your actual voice on a podcast. If it's something from the show, I can put the clip in. I probably won't even credit individual voices other than at the end as a list of contributors. Just an idea, since I know that's about my personal limit on talking to myself.

Date: June 09, 2014 07:33PM

>
> Let the show go as long as it needs. (I thought it
> was "organic," LFF). Let KCJJ play their damn 79
> minutes.
>
> It ain't that hard, Spewak.

The worst part is they probably put the CD in a computer to play it. What radio station isn't all digital by now? (I'm not looking for the obvious KCJJ answer.)

Posted by: Cary and Carla ()
Date: June 09, 2014 07:37PM

peekza Wrote:
> -----
> > Have a drink, Robb.
> >
> > Robb, after WJFK's TMOS cancellation: "Mostly
> what
> > I remember at that time is drinking a lot.
> There
> > was never any reason to get up early or to go
> to
> > bed at any sensible time. You think, 'Another
> > drink? Sure, why not?'"
>
>
> Having to support your family isn't a good enough
> reason to go to bed/get up at a reasonable hour?
> So, instead of striking while the iron was hot and
> his name was "still out there", he sank into an
> alcoholic coma? Sounds like you latched onto a
> winner Cary...Is it any wonder lil Robert has
> trouble respecting his father?

Cary: You have no idea. You have no earthly idea.

Date: June 09, 2014 07:44PM

Rib Spedick Wrote:
> Sorry CBH, got absolutely no sympathy for this
> self absorbed piece of shit. Fuck you Rob and fuck
> your other b.

I really don't want to make it sound like I'm a Robb enthusiast. Not here to change anyone's opinions - mainly because they're perfectly valid. I was just providing my thoughts on the book and the impact that it had on me.

bubbyman Wrote:
> Since it seems everyone's here tonight, anyone
> think they can do 5-10 minutes on something that
> has upset them about the show or the new book? I'm
> thinking if I can get enough I can easily put up a
> half hour present for the crew in celebration of
> the book release. I can edit out uhhs and change
> voice pitch without it being too obvious if you
> don't want your actual voice on a podcast. If it's
> something from the show, I can put the clip in. I
> probably won't even credit individual voices other
> than at the end as a list of contributors. Just an
> idea, since I know that's about my personal limit
> on talking to myself.

bubby, there's no way I could do anything audio that wouldn't make me sound like a horse's ass. I love the idea, but I would have to support it in a non-audio fashion.

Posted by: Schecky Spewak ()
Date: June 09, 2014 07:53PM

A fast attempt. I didn't fart around with getting his sausage-like fingers around the book.
Attachments:
Fat1.jpg

Date: June 09, 2014 07:58PM

Brilliant

Date: June 09, 2014 08:10PM

Schecky Spewak Wrote:
> A fast attempt. I didn't fart around with getting
> his sausage-like fingers around the book.

that is great

Date: June 09, 2014 08:14PM

Robb's fingers, a/k/a boudins blanc
Attachments:
Robb's fingers.jpg

Date: June 09, 2014 08:19PM

Schecky Spewak Wrote:
> A fast attempt. I didn't fart around with getting
> his sausage-like fingers around the book.

Photo Gold. Anyone else notice, the fatter he gets, the less he shows of his face? Him gaining weight helps us all.

Pages: PreviousFirst...391392393394395396397398399400401...LastNext
Current Page: 396 of 921

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.