HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Colonoscopy Anyone
Posted by: fifty ()
Date: March 15, 2008 11:22AM

I'm turning 50 in few months. I see that most of the people posting here are around that age, so many of you are probably thinking about the dreaded colonoscopy. For those of you who have already gone through the procedure, did it hurt? And, which doctors or groups do you recommend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Colonoscopy Anyone
Posted by: DrOnTV ()
Date: March 15, 2008 12:02PM

Never had one, but I know people who did. Most say it's slightly uncomfortable if you remain awake. Apparently some places will put you in 'twilight' if you want.

Posted by: bob ()
Date: March 15, 2008 01:02PM

I have had multiple colonoscopies and endoscopies done over the years and I have NEVER heard of a physician, group or clinic that performs these procedures with the patient 'remaining awake.' Nearly all practitioners perform these procedures using conscious sedation - what DrOnTV referred to as 'twilight.' Conscious sedation works great. Depending on the physician the drugs used to induce the patient will be the same drugs used for general anesthesia at a lower dose, or a mixture of an anesthetic and a sedative. The purpose of conscious sedation is to induce the patient to a point where relatively no pain is felt, and yet can respond to commands verbally and physically. Additionally depending on the drugs used and the anesthesiologist most patients do not remember the procedure itself, this is because many of the drugs used for general anesthesia have amnesia effects. In either case you will wake up in a light daze, aware of your surrounding but not with-it enough to care, 'recover' for about thirty minutes and then leave with an individual you brought to drive you home. The procedures are safe, nearly painless during the procedures - I cannot remember what went on during any of mine, and very quick. I would recommend this group: http://connect.inova.com/physician/mddb.practice.pra_view?p_pra_id=5323

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: March 15, 2008 02:01PM

They aren't so bad, except for the part where it scrapes against the back of your teeth.

Proctology Rules!!!!
Posted by: Dr. Procto ()
Date: March 15, 2008 03:37PM

A student of proctology is in the morgue one day after classes, wanting to get a little practice in before the final exams. He goes over to a table where a body is lying face down. He uncovers the sheet over the body, and to his surprise he finds a cork in the corpse's rectum.
Figuring that this is fairly unusual, he pulls the cork out, and to his surprise, music begins playing, "On the road again...just can't wait to get on the road again..."

The student is amazed, and places the cork back in the backside. The music stops. Totally freaked out, the student calls the Medical Examiner over to the corpse. "Look at this, this is really something," the student tells the examiner as he pulls the cork back out again. "On the road again...just can't wait to get on the road again..."

"So what?" the Medical Examiner replies, obviously unimpressed with the student's discovery.

"But isn't that the most amazing thing you've ever seen?" asked the student.

"Are you kidding?" replied the Examiner, "Any asshole can sing country music!"

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: March 15, 2008 04:04PM

My colonoscopies were all done by Dr. Carol Shuffler in Fairfax by route 50 and Gallows rd. She is awesome and puts you at ease and explains everything. Plus she gives you a great drug that puts you in a twilight sleep. You can pretty much go home as soon as you wake up and you will feel just fine but maybe a little tired. The preparation is what is the hardest part since they give you this salty stuff to drink and it will clean you out. Plus you can't eat for like 36 hrs. before the procedure so you get tired. try to schedule it on a Monday so you can just watch TV or read on the day you must not eat and then drink the salty stuff. Good luck. Having a simple colonoscopy is much better than having colon cancer, often undetected until it has spread. With luck, you won't have to have another for five or even ten years. However, if they do find a polyp, they will snip it out while you are asleep. You will not feel a thing even afterwards. Then they may want you to come back in 3 years.

Good luck. It's not bad at all.

Posted by: fifty ()
Date: March 16, 2008 01:12AM

A couple of years ago, my husband had a colonoscopy. He is normally rather quiet, and very private, but while under the influence of the drugs, he became a total blabber mouth. The doctor, an old college friend, found it very funny, and though he didn’t tell me what was said, it was clear that my husband was blabbing about me. My husband has no memory of saying anything.

I am not quiet to begin with, so, I’m worried that I’ll tell my whole life story. I wonder if they'd let my duck tape my mouth closed.

Posted by: Anyone ()
Date: March 16, 2008 04:44AM

The preparation is worse than the procedure itself. I remember saying "ouch" when the probe hit something. Unfortunately, my test was "incomplete." I was sedated.

Next, I tried the virtual colonoscopy and the imagery was not readable, although I carefully followed the protocol. Minutes before this procedure I was asked to sign papers that said the procedure was "experimental" and may not be covered by insurance. I am disputing the charges, based upon not usable results.

Be sure to check with your insurance on this coverage!

Posted by: Hershey Highway ()
Date: March 16, 2008 05:39AM

I did it cold turkey...no drugs....only because my wife was unavailable to take me home. They won't let you drive yourself while sedated.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: March 16, 2008 07:28AM

fifty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm turning 50 in few months. I see that most of
> the people posting here are around that age, so
> many of you are probably thinking about the
> dreaded colonoscopy. For those of you who have
> already gone through the procedure, did it hurt?
> And, which doctors or groups do you recommend?

I had one. The procedure itself didn't hurt. I was knocked out and didn't feel a thing. It took about an hour.

However, the prep SUCKED. I had to drink gallons of a fowl liquid the night before and crapped my guts out. I drank so much of the shit that I thought I was going to barf.

I have heard from others that there are actually pills you can take for prep that aren't as horrid as the liquid. I suggest you ask about the pill and avoid the liquid if you can. Also, don't opt to take a virtual colonoscopy over the real thing. I understand they aren't as thorough.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: March 16, 2008 11:53AM

I opted to take the pills one time and I regretted it. The pills were huge and I had to mtake like three at a time every few hours. My gag reflex kicked in and I ended up with such a sore throat and sore midriff from gagging. I will just opt for the liguied prep from now on. You can get it flavored. I downed mine with Gatorade which helped a lot. Also you can take it with ginger ale. Unless you love taking huge horse pills, opt for the liquid. Flavor it. Good luck. It's not that bad. Hangovers are a lot worse.

Posted by: bob ()
Date: March 16, 2008 12:36PM

If you drink the solution cold on ice it tastes a little bit better. Also, go ahead and buy yourself some good toilet paper, too. Seriously.

Posted by: IP Freely ()
Date: March 18, 2008 06:46PM

Make sure the anesthesiologist as well as the gastro dr are in your health network. I got a bill a year after the procedure from the anesthesiologist for $800 because my health insurance said that the anesthesiologist was not in my network.

And yes the prep is the worst part..try to eat very light a week beforehand. It helps. The procedure itself was really relaxing and the best nap I have ever taken.

Posted by: IP Relay ()
Date: March 18, 2008 07:11PM

you should just do it yourself at home. its easy, just take one of those $10 logitech webcams and shove it up ur butt, or down your throat.

Posted by: midget ()
Date: March 19, 2008 03:00PM

IP Relay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you should just do it yourself at home. its easy,
> just take one of those $10 logitech webcams and
> shove it up ur butt, or down your throat.

TEE HEE

Posted by: efqefrq ()
Date: March 02, 2009 12:28AM

you are so fucking funny. Why dont you have your fag friend duct tape that same camera on his dick next time he fucks you in the ass. I know without asking that you voted for Obama you fucking idiot

Posted by: had a lot of these ()
Date: March 02, 2009 10:14AM

I've had one every year for several years since I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis.

The prep is the worst part of the experience. Usually you can't eat anything the day before the procedure, and you start taking laxative pills and/or a really nasty tasting liquid laxative mid-afternoon. By late afternoon, and for the rest of the evening, you'll be crapping like every half hour more or less. Have a book or something that you can read because you'll be sitting on the toilet a lot. Careful with wiping because you'll be doing a lot of that too, and can get pretty irritated back there if you're not careful.

This prep will leave you dehydrated, and you usually can't drink anything the day of the procedure. You may feel pretty weak, and thirsty. This is important - schedule your procedure for very early in the day, first thing in the morning if possible. The later in the day it gets, the more dehydrated and weak you feel.

The procedure itself is a piece of cake. Once they get you in there and hook you up to an IV with saline you start getting rehydrated. It might make you a little cold, so be prepared to ask for a blanket. Then they put you under, and next thing you know you wake up in the recovery room. (My colonoscopies have always been with me "out", not awake at all).

You'll be thirsty again as you're coming out from under the anesthesia. Don't drink water fast, or very much at all. If you do you'll feel nauseous. Just tiny sips over a long period of time. Have someone with you as soon as you are put into recovery who will remember to keep you from drinking too much. You may be too out of it to remember yourself.

The remainder of the day, after the procedure, you may be passing a lot of gas. It may be quite painful at times, working through your colon. Ask your doctor to remove as much air as possible during the procedure to lessen this. Your doctor will likely give you some medication for pain, and will instruct you to contact him if it gets bad.

All in all, it's a couple of days of discomfort, but the value of early detection of colon cancer makes it worth it.

My gastroenterologist is Dr. Lance Lasner, in Centreville. I highly recommend him.

Good luck.

Posted by: Robert ()
Date: August 23, 2011 06:34AM

I believe that colonoscopies should be given annually as part of the "cleansing" process. Praying and meditation can be done during the prep day. Hopefully a friend will join you to drink a mug of that laxative mixed with Gatoraide and take off their clothes off. It is a time to open up!

Gowns should not be worn nor sedation given. One simply awaits for the tube to be inserted into their anus. One meditates rather than focus on the discomfort of the exam.

Posted by: Holly Golightly ()
Date: August 23, 2011 07:13AM

wait for it

MOON RIVER

Posted by: ProVallone ()
Date: August 23, 2011 07:55AM

Mr. Misery performs colonoscopies for a fraction of the doctors price.
But I still can't figure out how he does it while he has both hands on my back.
And do I REALLY need one EVERY weekend?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 07:56AM by ProVallone.

Posted by: mark j ()
Date: August 23, 2011 04:45PM

Can anyone else recommend a good gastroentologist?

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: August 24, 2011 01:30AM

Some people enjoy the after effects.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: August 24, 2011 02:33AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 11:10PM by Alias.

Posted by: Jim D ()
Date: October 03, 2011 12:58PM

Seems like an unlikely correlation ... but we certainly know who YOU voted for.

Posted by: Horrible Prep ()
Date: October 03, 2011 04:42PM

As others have said, the worst part is the prep. After that, you won't feel anything since you'll be knocked out. I swore I'd never go through another colonoscopy because of the prep. In any case, if they don't find anything, you don't need to go back for another 10 years.

Posted by: The prep sucks ass ()
Date: October 03, 2011 09:25PM

I was vomiting from all the nasty liquid and nasty tasting shit you need before the test. Plus you are on the can and the next day.I almost shit my pants on the way to the Dr's office.

Posted by: Mary Martin ()
Date: July 19, 2014 10:29AM

I recently had my first routine colonoscopy at age 52. Unfortunately I was under the false impression that I would be under light sedation, NOT general anesthesia. I have a hard time with general anesthesia. In this case I was given proposal. I woke up to throwing up repeatedly and with a severe stomach pain. This lasted about one hour and then I gradually got better. Many people apparently do not have a problem with it but I believe that general anesthesia is over sedation for most people. Below is an article by Dr. Andrew Weil that I believe is very good. Do your own research and be your own judge.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401162/Best-Sedation-for-Colonoscopy.html

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.