HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234All
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: NHL Lockout Over. Capitals 2013 Season
Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: May 13, 2013 11:29AM

Is it really a choke when they were at one point, one of the worst records, were below .500 at mid point, barely made the playoffs by winning out the rest of their games, won all the home games during this series, the games they did lose were decided by goal.

They didn't get swept, they didn't get blown out, and the NYR did have an overall better regular season record.

Yes it will a be another disappointment but "choke" is an over statement.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: May 13, 2013 02:20PM

The officiating yesterday was absolutely atrocious. The NHL should be embarrassed.

I’m predicting another close one.

LET’S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: friskydingo ()
Date: May 13, 2013 02:33PM

It's been the same ref making bad calls thought the whole series.

The Caps thrive in game 7s, I have confidence.

Posted by: Caps Jihadists ()
Date: May 13, 2013 04:20PM

Re: Choking Caps

Well, we do this choking talk every year...because every year there's people who don't understand.

Have the Caps choked ever? Yes.

Is this year a choke if they lose tonight? No. As Zeus said above, when you go 2-7-1 to start a shortened season and you still manage to make the playoffs...it's not a choke to lose in the first round of the playoffs, regardless of how it unfolded. After the first 2 weeks of the season if you had asked informed Caps fans, "Ok...you can jump right now to a one-off game to beat the Rangers for a round one win, do you take that opportunity?" they'd have said, "Sure!" and THAT'S where they are tonight.

A choke is when a team is EXPECTED to win and they don't and honestly since the Caps have zero Cup pedigree...that hasn't happened too many times. Stop listening to Tony Kornheiser and turning his 25 year old catch phrase, referring to the Caps as chokers, into an interest troll post.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: May 13, 2013 04:44PM

the Caps were no hopes awhile ago. now they ended the season on a roll. One goal games are a staple of playoff hockey. The Caps were not even expected to get here and now they have ground out a 7 game series against the NY Rangers, an original six team with a rabid loyal following? yeah Id say thats a success. Each home game has been won by the home team. the Rangers have CHOKED in 5 successive game 7 away games. Its looking GOOD for the Caps and advancing to round 2. Expect a win tonight at Verizon center.

Posted by: 6XJ ()
Date: May 13, 2013 06:01PM

More Complete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The officiating yesterday was absolutely
> atrocious. The NHL should be embarrassed.
>
> I’m predicting another close one.
>
> LET’S GO CAPS!!!

They were just doing what the league told them to do. Game 7 means a lot more money all around. Rangers will probably win, bigger TV market.

Posted by: FucktheRangers ()
Date: May 13, 2013 08:48PM

Caps suck. Joel Ward missed a wide open goal and now we're losing and getting pushed around. Fucking terrible.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: May 14, 2013 02:14PM

More Complete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m predicting another close one.

Close it was not. Seemed like they just gave up. Shame. Very disappointing.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda doesn't win hockey games.

Posted by: Caps Jihadist ()
Date: May 14, 2013 03:22PM

Another sad day for Caps fans...

I give full credit to NYR. They came into this series and its game 7 knowing exactly what they had to do and they went out and did it. Henrik Lundqvist proved he is the best goalie in the NHL currently. He willed his team to victory...a team that went 2-28 on the PP and with the exception of game 7, his team only scored enough goals to win each game.

The easy thing would be to say, "Blow the team up and fire McPhee, too!" They have some good, not great pieces here. I'd make the following changes, additions, deletions:

1) Remember Marc Tinordi? They need to find a player like that. A defenseman that will keep the crease clear and make sound passes on the defensive zone breakout. A player that opposing forwards fear facing to the extent that he effectively shuts down his side of the ice.

2) Remember Dino Ciccarelli? Not the kid toucher in the back of the limo Dino...but the plumber in front of the opposition's net Dino. They had that player in Mike Knuble and they felt he couldn't play anymore. He plays for PHI now.

3a) Sign all the available free agents who have won the Cup. You don't need to play them, but keep them on the payroll. Again, we've had that guy in Sergei Federov and Mike Knuble.

3b) Contract retired players who have won a Cup to consult. Guys like Nik Lidstrom. Surround this team day in and day out who have done it at the highest level.

4) Strip Ovechkin of the C and give it to Troy Brouwer.

5) Call BUF about Ryan Miller.

6) Call PIT about Marc-Andre Fleury.

7) Call VAN about Roberto Luongo. (As long as Lundqvist is active the Caps must assume they'll be facing him in the post-season. If you can't score on a goalie in the playoffs, then you need to have the next best AVAILABLE option in your net.)

8) Start shopping Ovechkin just to understand current market conditions. If you should stumble on a deal that sends draft picks and players that can contribute without having to pay part of his salary to play elsewhere then you have to give that merit. CAR would be a good place to start.

In closing, I have updated my will so that Caps players will serve as pallbearers at my funeral...that way they can "let me down" one more time. Hopefully it will be the last time. They have still won...nothing.

Date: May 16, 2013 11:43PM

Some additional season ending notes...

Ovie (the team captain) skipped the final team meeting in order to play for Team Russia in the World Championships. He also allegedly sustained a hairline fracture in his foot in game 6...but, he's well enough to play for Team Russia?

Date: May 29, 2013 04:38PM

NYR fired John Tortorella today. Better NHL coaches have been fired for less but, this was surprising to me. He's won a Cup and despite being a total prick, he's a great coach. I don't know who will need a coach come next season but, he would be at the top of my list.

Pages: Previous1234All
Current Page: 4 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.