HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: NHL Lockout Over. Capitals 2013 Season
Posted by: Caps Jihadist ()
Date: March 09, 2013 07:05PM

See? I post and then they lose...Christ...

Caps? Caps? Caps! Please listen...when you debut a rookie goaltender, you need to commit to team defense and staying out of the penalty box because...if you don't? YOU MAKE THE POOR GUY FACE 45 FUCKING SHOTS! W...T...F?!?! I'm sure the coaches are pleased with his performance but, if you could've cut that total in half...you mighta'...oh, I dunno...WON THE FUCKING GAME!!!

For those asking about Hamrlik and his remarks about the lockout...He broke ranks with the union and said he just wanted to play and didn't care what kind of deal the players made with ownership. And went on to say that the players were not unified in their opposition to the owners. This really pissed Brouwer off, who I believe is the team's union rep and he said he couldn't trust Hamrlik again on or off the ice.

Look...as the league's active leader in games played, he has more than earned the right to an opinion even if that means his feelings were counter to the union. With few games remaining in his career, it's financially important to him to be on the ice at any cost...I just don't think you want to go public with those kinds of remarks as part of your legacy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: March 10, 2013 04:35PM

@MC Please rename thread to "Capitals 2013 Season OVER"

2nds loss in row. Next three games are Hurricans twice followed by Bruins. If they lose 2 of 3 than its probably to late to save season now that we are passing through the halfway mark.

Caps Jihadi, you were not kidding around, every time you post here the Caps the lose.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: March 11, 2013 09:36AM

Caps laid an egg this weekend. Next two games = the season.

Date: March 11, 2013 06:13PM

Ovi is -5 the last two games. Why was he circling the blue line when the Caps didn’t have the puck? Waiting for them to get possession and pass it to him? He may not have been the reason the Caps lost, but he was certainly partly to blame. While I thought the second one was questionable, those two penalties didn’t help either. Guy makes 10 million a year and he floats around and then falls down. I’m back to thinking he needs to be stripped of the captaincy.

On the bright side Backstrom was 14/14 on faceoffs and…. That’s all I got.

To add to the list of baffling decisions Oates gave the team the day off today. Really? You lose both games over the weekend and you give the team the day off?

I’m predicting losses Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday to put the final nail in the coffin of the 2013 season.

Date: March 20, 2013 11:17AM

Well, since the last post the Caps are 2-3. Woot! Think that just about sums up the season. The Caps are a mediocre to bad team. Not good enough on offense to really dominate, not good enough on defense to stop anyone. Well, except for the Panthers. They need to go 13-3-3 to have a chance at the playoffs. In other words, their season is over.

It was good to see Liach back but he alone isn’t going to be enough. Green has played like what? Three games? Dude is made of glass. It will be interesting to see if GMGM does the smart thing and sells before the trade deadline or keeps on dreaming that this team is just a tweak or two away from contending. They are not.

I don’t really care much. Above all, I just want McPhee fired.

Date: March 22, 2013 07:27AM

They managed to beat up the Jets on the road last night. If they can win again up there they will gain some more ground. Although, its hard to believe they will make playoffs after being below .500 for almost the whole season.

They are actually playing fairly well overall, they just cant overcome the first 15 games of the season.

Date: March 23, 2013 10:41AM

They shredded the Jets again last night and looked good doing it. Holtby has been hot, and the top 6 have been producing like they're supposed to.

They beat the Rangers on Sunday and I will be impressed.

Posted by: Solar CoAsTeR ()
Date: March 23, 2013 11:44AM

was reading in the paper that the Caps Power play is tops in the NHL at something like 25% efficiency! Damn! Well OK. if OVi wants to hang out by himself and one timer shots into the net all day then so be it. The true test will be the three NY contests. Rangers, Iles and Sabres. GO CAPS! They are inching up little by little. Will They be sELLERS or BUYERS or stand pat at the trade deadline? Will they let Ribero go or re-sign the Caps MVP for more years and make another better run next year? Hard to say. What about Mike Green? Brooks Liach? When those guys are on the ice they Caps WIN!

Posted by: Caps Harry Dick ()
Date: March 24, 2013 09:47PM

Caps win again in shootout. They're playing well and in striking distance. Going to be a fun end to the season.

Date: March 24, 2013 10:06PM

Anyone Else HATE the New guy on The Caps Radio? Fucking horrible over enunciation and Smarmy Radio guy voice John Walton. "The Capitalsh need a BIG win heeerrree, SHCORE shum goalsh and take a lEaaaaaduh." I want Steve Kolby back damnit not this smarmy idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: FusilliJerry ()
Date: March 24, 2013 10:40PM

I have been boycotting the entire season. I think both sides, especially the owners are whiny bitches. But listening to 106.7, I have heard the new guys stupid fucking catch line and it is about the most annoying thing I think I have heard any sports guy say. The "Good monring, good afternoon, and good night!" line is horrible and gets more irritating by the day. I wish Kolbe was still here.

Date: March 25, 2013 08:45AM

FusilliJerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been boycotting the entire season. I think
> both sides, especially the owners are whiny
> bitches. But listening to 106.7, I have heard the
> new guys stupid fucking catch line and it is about
> the most annoying thing I think I have heard any
> sports guy say. The "Good monring, good
> afternoon, and good night!" line is horrible and
> gets more irritating by the day. I wish Kolbe was
> still here.

YES! that catch phrase is really annoying as well! man and the "home game color guy" is irritating as well. He has NO personality at all and his "insights" are drivel. H starts every sentence with "Aw" then proceeds to state the obvious. "Aw the caps really need to get something going here, score more goals than the other team ya know to win this game" I hate listening to the internet feed with those two morons when I cant listen to Joe and Craig on Comcast.

That being said I hope Caps get 8th seed and face the Pens in first round and SwEEP pittsburgh! LETS GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: March 25, 2013 09:22AM

HUGE WIN! Huge. Caps save their season for the umpteenth time this season.

Have to keep it going. Still under .500. Ovi is playing well. As he goes the team goes. Fehr with an upper body injury, shame as he was having a good season. Need to pay back the Islanders. Winnipeg won...dammit.

I don't mind Walton on the radio all that much. He's not the best but he's not the worst either.

Posted by: EJ7y9 ()
Date: March 25, 2013 01:31PM

That was a huge win for the Caps. Lucky bounce for Backstrom for that shoulder goal he had in the first. but rather be lucky AND good. A bit worrying that they quit taking it to the rangers in the second. whats that about? Not exactly a complete game when the Rangers took momentum away in the second but at least they held their own in the Third. That Shot off the Face Mask of the Rangers goalie then ringing it off the post...man that could have been the game right there.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: March 25, 2013 02:11PM

bump

Posted by: Snoozy ()
Date: March 25, 2013 03:23PM

Next run of games are a bunch of teams out of the playoffs. I mean if they play DOWN to the competition they are in trouble. But HOT DAMN if they continue this streak they could actually squeak into the playoffs and play Spoiler to some top seeded teams. Happens every year and I HOPE its the Caps Year to be in that Role. God knows they have the power and are on the roll to do it now!

Date: March 25, 2013 10:48PM

Hurricanes sign Semin to 5 year, $35M extension. Good for him. Do the Caps resign Ribero to a similar deal? Not sure what their cap situation is but they may have to let him go.

If they get >4 points out of those (Isles, Sabres, Flyers) three games, I'll be impressed. The have been known to play down to their competition. Also, just when you start to believe in them, they let you down. That's the Caps for ya.

At the very least there is potential for the season to have an exciting finish.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: March 26, 2013 09:32PM

God fucking dammit are we ever going to beat the fucking Islanders?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 09:32PM by Gonads & Strife.

Posted by: Yep ()
Date: March 27, 2013 10:15AM

More Complete Wrote:
> just when you start to believe in them, they
> let you down. That's the Caps for ya.

This.

Date: March 27, 2013 11:28AM

I really like Mike Green’s assist on the game winning goal. Not.

Liach passed it to Green and Green made a mistake. It happens. What frustrated me is that Green had a chance (or three) to redeem himself in the final minutes of the game, and didn’t pull the trigger. Ribero set him up to tee off from the blue line and he hesitated, then passed the puck. Shame.

Aside from a few defensive break downs, the Caps played a good game. The Isles just seem to have their number and sniped one. Guess we’ll have to wait until Saturday to clear the stench of this loss.

Date: March 27, 2013 10:21PM

More Complete Wrote:
> I really like Mike Green’s assist on the game
> winning goal. Not.

Ha! Me too... ugh

Posted by: 2000 ()
Date: March 27, 2013 10:28PM

viewer

Date: March 30, 2013 09:29PM

another heart attack inducing game..

Date: March 30, 2013 09:39PM

and now for the shootout...

Date: March 30, 2013 09:55PM

::phew::

Posted by: Troydingles ()
Date: March 30, 2013 10:04PM

Man, I hope we've turned the corner.

Posted by: Gay Zeus ()
Date: March 30, 2013 10:54PM

Lots of clap trap out there about a gay NHL'er coming out of the closet soon. I really really really hope its Sid the Kid Crosby. Not because I'm gay (I'm not) and have man crush on him (i don't) but because it would merely confirm what all of us Caps fans have known for some time....which is Sidney Crosby is homosexual.

http://www.outsports.com/2013/3/11/4092596/tommy-wingels-gay-san-jose-sharks-coming-out

Date: March 31, 2013 09:11PM

Troydingles Wrote:
> Man, I hope we've turned the corner.

Let victory slip their hands tonight. Why is Shultz on this team? Why is he on the ice? He is terrible in so many ways. I would say trade him but who the hell would want him?

At least they got a loser point but man, when you've got a two goal lead with 7 minutes left, you should win. So frustrating.

Date: March 31, 2013 10:54PM

Shultz and Alzner need to be traded asap. Those fucking guys are killing the Caps.

Date: April 03, 2013 11:39AM

Another HUGE win to keep their hopes alive for the billionth time this season. 2 points out with 2 games in hand on the Jets. Unfortunately, they have to play the Islanders next and when they do they always crap the bed.

Weird to say but it’s been hard to hate Mike Green the last few games and Ovi has been playing great. Ovi is tied for third in goals and top ten in points. He has 15 points and 8 goals the past 9 games. If this is the player he’s going to be moving forward, there will be many a happy Caps fan.

This team has responded from a 2-8-1 start to go 15-7-1. It’s a shortened season but 15-7-1 over 23 games is pretty good any way you look at it. The defense still needs a lot of work but in a regular season I don’t think many would be complaining or doubting the team’s ability to make the playoffs. Just sucks they got off to such a terrible start and don’t have many games to make it up.

Big trade deadline today. I hope Shultz is traded but again, doubt anyone would want him. Just trade him for a pick. Any pick will do. Shoot, I’d take a ham sammich! Imagine the Caps and Mike Ribiero will work out a deal before the season is over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2013 11:41AM by More Complete.

Posted by: WestOx ()
Date: April 03, 2013 12:38PM

Has Green redeemed himself by scoring two goals yet?

If not for that Lucky first goal off chimera past Holtby this would have been a less nail biting game. Man that was awesome how the Caps pounced and score. Scored SCORED! Im digging the grit and determination of this team. It looked a lot more like they wanted it this time around. That Crash Net ridiculous loss in Philly is behind them. A win against any team with Semin on it is great. the Caps are almost back in contention. too bad Sid the kid is out for the duration. I would love to have had him playing and the Caps Bounce the Pens in the playoffs.

Date: April 03, 2013 12:42PM

Should we be worried that the Bruins now have Jagr? I mean the guy gave Philly all kinds of life last year and he is now on a Eastern conference team that the Caps could conceivably have to go through? I dont know that the caps would trade or make any moves at the deadline. I cant think of anyone the Caps would get or trade away to make a push. GMGM seems like he would stand pat and see what this years model, now rounding into shape can do.

Date: April 03, 2013 01:43PM

Right now Green has a clean slate in my book. I’m sure he’ll do his best to mess that up sometime soon.

In regards to Jagr in Boston, the Caps can cross that bridge when they come to it. They still have to get there and a lot can happen in a month. That said, Jagr is 40 but should help the Bruin’s power play, which sorely needs it.

I don’t think McPhee will do anything before the deadline either. However, if moves ARE going to be made I could see a few possibilities…

- A vet goalie. Neuvy hasn’t been able to stay healthy and isn’t having a good year. Could be traded.
- Jason Chimera and a pick or prospect could be dangled for a better LW
- 2/3 F and a 1/2 D could be acquired
- Any deal involving Anaheim could be a possibility since Bruce is there
- A few guys could get contract extensions (this is the most likely).

Date: April 03, 2013 05:55PM

Well there you have it, a big move… First round pick Forsberg for Preditors LW Erat and C Latta. Latta will go to Hershey but the Czech Erat is the big move by GMGM.

Erat is a legit top six winger, but he’s 31 and I had high hopes for Forsberg. Like most Capitals fans, I don’t like the move. Seems like a desperate move to make the playoffs now as opposed to a smart move for a sustainable future. Also, Erat’s contract kind of sucks and will make it harder to re-sign Ribiero.

That said, Forsberg has done nothing at the NHL level and could turn out to be a bust. Time will tell, but making the playoffs just became a little more important.

Date: April 03, 2013 06:15PM

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have acquired forwards Martin Erat (mahr-TIHN EE-rat) and Michael Latta (MIGH-kuhl LA-tuh) from the Nashville Predators in exchange for forward Filip Forsberg, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.

Erat, 31, has recorded 21 points (four goals, 17 assists) and 26 penalty minutes in 36 games with Nashville this season. He ranked tied for first on Nashville in points and led the team in assists at the time of the trade. Erat ranked second among Nashville forwards in time on ice per game (18:55) and tied for second among Nashville forwards in power-play time on ice per game (2:41). He was named an alternate captain for Nashville this season.

The native of Trebic, Czech Republic, currently ranks second in Nashville franchise history in career points (481), goals (163), assists (318), games played (723), game-winning goals (26) and ranks third in power-play goals (42). He recorded a career-high 58 points (19 goals, 39 assists) last season for Nashville and has eclipsed the 50-point plateau in five of the last six seasons. The three-time 20-goal scorer has represented the Czech Republic in the World Championships (three times), World Junior Championships (twice) and the Winter Olympic Games in 2006 and 2010.

The 6’, 196-pound forward has registered 23 points (eight goals, 15 assists) in 46 career playoff games with Nashville, ranking second in playoff scoring, games played, assists and fourth in goals in Nashville postseason history.

Erat was drafted by Nashville in the seventh round (191st overall) in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft. He has played all 723 of his career NHL games with Nashville.

Latta, 21, ranks second on the Milwaukee Admirals (AHL) in points (34) and first in assists (26) among active players. He compiled a plus-9 rating and 184 penalty minutes (led the team) in 67 games played this season. In 122 career AHL games with Milwaukee, the St. Clements, Ontario, native has recorded 23 goals, 41 assists and 286 penalty minutes.

Date: April 03, 2013 06:15PM

I like how they Phonetically (FOE-NET-IK-AH-LEE) spell out the names for us.

Date: April 05, 2013 08:58AM

wow caps in first place in the South East. They are, if the playoffs started today. IN! BLAM! Erat wasnt bad. A little out of sync but he did show a strong presence. If he can manage to get some chemistry with the other guys he will make a a good addition to a playoff run. These late season aquasitions do they ever pan out Really? Mike Green is finally rounding into form. The man has been on fire lately and any Green Doubters are keeping quiet. That was a scary moment when Liach got hurt along the boards again. When Green and Liach are on the ice the team is hella better.

Date: April 05, 2013 10:47AM

Caps need the next 2 games against FL and TB. Montreal will be a test.

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Date: April 06, 2013 12:06PM

6-1-1 in the last 8 games aint too bad at all. Enough it seems to overcome that crappy 1-8 start and propel the team to first. For the moment at least. Green is doing his damndest to redeem himself and once Erat gets into a flow we should see the Caps contend. The problem as the post pointed out was that the teams they beat were not the top tier teams, Montreal will be a test for sure which is why Caps need to beat up on Florida and keep em down in the cellar where they belong.

Date: April 08, 2013 10:14AM

WINNING! 4 in a row!

Date: April 08, 2013 10:30AM

These guys better not douche on us and miss the playoffs. This is the classic DC Sports set up. Just as you start to fall in love, they cheat on you, rip out your heart and stomp all over it.

Remaining Schedule:
@ Montreal
@ Ottawa
vs Winnipeg
vs Ottawa

Given the way they Caps have been playing, its reasonable to say that are better then their record indicates, which is good thing.

As long as they beat Winnipeg and win 1 of the other 3 games, going 2-2 i think they're in???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 10:31AM by Hay Zeus.

Date: April 08, 2013 10:58AM

Ovechkin is also tied with Stamkos of Tampa as league leader in goals with 25 and is 6th in overall points, with 43 points.

Not bad but it still seems like he isn't playing up to contract. Sid the kid for comparison has 15 goals, 41 assists for 56 points and a +/- of +26 (Ovie has 18 assists and +/- of +0)

He seems to be scoring enough but doesnt make the players around him better and disappears at times when the team is struggling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 10:59AM by Hay Zeus.

Date: April 08, 2013 06:03PM

Shame Erat got injured on that dirty hit Saturday. It’s also a shame that the Caps have to wait a year to get payback. Erskine needs to mop the ice with that no name piece of trash goon.

Ovi is playing as well as he ever has. Any questions about him being “washed up” have been answered (how does crow taste Mike Milbury?) Oates is a genius for switching him to right wing. It took Ovi out of his comfort zone and shook things up. If Ovi keeps playing the way he has recently, he may pass Stamkos for the Richard trophy. Shoot, maybe even MVP.

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> These guys better not douche on us and miss the
> playoffs. This is the classic DC Sports set up.
> Just as you start to fall in love, they cheat on
> you, rip out your heart and stomp all over it.

Very true. Just when you start to believe... WHAMO!!! Heart = Broken.

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> Remaining Schedule:
> @ Montreal
> @ Ottawa
> vs Winnipeg
> vs Ottawa
>
> As long as they beat Winnipeg and win 1 of the
> other 3 games, going 2-2 i think they're in???

Wait what? They have three games a week (Tues, Thurs, Sat) until the end of the month. Winnipeg has a fairly easy schedule ahead of them so the Caps need to add two points with the game in hand they have and then beat the Pegs when they play in a few weeks. That would give them 6 points to play with.

The Habs have not lost to a SE division team this year. They are due! Go get em Caps!

Date: April 09, 2013 06:27PM

Looks like Neuvy in net tonight. Why? Holtbeast has had his rest and this is a big game. Ward, Liach, Erat, all out with injury. Smells like a loss.

Date: April 10, 2013 11:08AM

Well Well Well, the Caps beat the Habs! They staved off the old empty net 6 attackers threat and scratched out a 3-2 WIN! Looking good CAPS!

Date: April 10, 2013 02:23PM

The Caps are shredding! I thought Oates was crazy for starting Neuvy last night. Especially with the depleted offense and Holtbeast’s recent awesomeness. Turns out coach knew what he was doing.

Ovi has been playing out of his mind and the whole team has upped their game along with him. They have been very impressive as of late.

There isn’t much room for nit picking but I will anyway because there are plenty of nits to pick, especially on defense. If they make the playoffs, I’m afraid that the defense (or lack thereof) will be their undoing. In addition, I feel they are too soft and it would be really nice to see them goon it up once in a while.

Power Play = First in the league
Penalty Kill = Second to last

The lopsidedness speaks for itself. Still… shredding! LETS GO CAPS!!!

Date: April 12, 2013 06:06PM

Shredding. Holtby is the real deal. I've stuck up for Oates since he got hired but I'm starting to like him even more. The team is starting to show a certain amount of grit. The last 30 seconds of last night for example. Throwing down for Braden? Protecting him? Awesome.

The next 2 and the game on the 24th vs Winnipeg are HUGE.

Date: April 16, 2013 02:40PM

Looks like a tough couple of games ahead for the Caps. They really need to tighten up that defense. They can’t defense is not good enough to sit back and go into turtle mode in order to protect a lead like they did last season under Hunter. They need to keep attacking. Granted, it was Tampa and they have a habit of scoring in bunches.

Leafs will be no easy task tonight, they’ve already beaten the Caps twice I think. The Caps will play 3 high caliber teams this week. Two of which may be first round opponents in the playoffs. If they make it, wouldn’t count chickens just yet. They’ve got to stay hungry, but appear to be peaking at the right time.

Will be nice when Erat learns the system and Ward is healthy. Erat looked lost on Saturday and I never thought I’d say it but I miss Ward.

Date: April 16, 2013 09:59PM

Shredding!

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: April 16, 2013 10:05PM

whats the magic number to secure a playoff spot?

Date: April 17, 2013 05:04AM

ferfux Wrote:
> whats the magic number to secure a playoff spot?

5 games remaining with a 4 point lead and the tie breaker. 6 points and Caps clinch division (either winning or Jets losing).

Date: April 18, 2013 03:38PM

Caps have to play some good teams on the road...

today @ Senators and Sat @ Canadiens

Lines tonight...

Johansson-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Erat-Ribeiro-Brouwer
Chimera-Perreault-Fehr
Volpatti-Hendricks-Beagle

Alzner-Green
Erskine-Carlson
Hillen-Oleksy

Holtby

Craig Anderson will be starting in goal for Ottawa.

Date: April 20, 2013 11:08PM

Well they sucked in Ottawa but they were sure good tonight. It was a must win and they responded.

Magic number is now 4. One win, one regulation loss for Winnipeg and Caps clinch the division! Hard to believe this is the same team from 6 weeks ago. I've said it all along and I'll say it again, Oates is the real deal.

Tuesday vs Peg is HUGE. LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: West0x ()
Date: April 21, 2013 07:07PM

that was a good win against Montreal but with a caveat that their defense has been tanking and sleeping lately. But still Ovi is the League leading scorer! Nice that the magic number to get in the playoffs is getting closer. I cannot wait for the Caps to get in there and finally do some damage!

LETS GO CAPS!

Date: April 23, 2013 09:56PM

YES YES YA'LL! and you dont STOP! WASHINGTON CAPITALS GOT A PLAYOFF SPOT!

YES YES YA'LL! and you dont QUIT! WASHINGTON CAPITALS ARE LEGITIMATE!

Posted by: SEO Dude ()
Date: April 23, 2013 10:25PM

GO Caps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2013 10:25PM by SEO Dude.

Date: April 24, 2013 11:44AM

I cant wait for the playoffs. And I cant believe im saying that considering where the Caps were in the standings a couple of months ago.

Date: April 24, 2013 01:14PM

Washington Capitals clinch Southeast Division, No. 3 seed with 5-3 win over Jets

Eleven weeks ago when the Washington Capitals sat adrift as the worst team in the NHL, few believed that this squad with its new coach and new system could find a way to pull itself together and reach the playoffs.

On Tuesday night, the Capitals demonstrated the product of months of perseverance and hard-earned progress to complete a meteoric rise up the standings. Washington clinched their fifth Southeast Division title in the past six years and their sixth consecutive postseason berth with a 5-3 win over the Winnipeg Jets at Verizon Center.

“The way we started there were a lot of doubters,” said Matt Hendricks, who recorded the first goal of the game. “Our fans were against us a little bit, the media was hard on us a little bit. But we came and did what we set out to do and it’s a great feeling.”

As the sellout crowd on F Street stood in salute for the final four minutes of regulation and well after the victory was sealed, it was a night for validation.

For at least a little while, the Capitals get to enjoy the reward from all the practices and games spent making gradual improvement. The positive details that nurtured confidence and helped instill the belief in this group, which sat 10 points out of the division lead as recently as March 10, that it could eventually succeed.

“I think the beginning of the year when it was new coaching staff, new system, we change our lines and we just don’t know how to play,” said Alex Ovechkin, who recorded an empty-net goal for his league-best 31st goal of the season. “We need some time to realize how we have to play. It take us probably 15 games, maybe 16 games to realize it. We try to find the lineup, we try to find good chemistry and it started working after 15, 16 games.”

While Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom both scored, in this critical game it was role players who stepped up early and often. Hendricks along with third-liners Jason Chimera and Mathieu Perreault each recorded a goal and rugged defenseman John Erskine wrote a new chapter as a folk hero by helping to keep two pucks out of the net.

The Capitals dictated the flow of the game from the outset, winning races to loose pucks and setting up a base camp in the offensive zone with the forward lines rolling with strong shifts one after another. In a game teeming with a postseason-like intensity, it didn’t surprise Coach Adam Oates to see some of the Capitals’ lesser-known figures assert themselves.

“It has a more playoff feel. Those guys contribute a lot, and you know, they really got us into the game and had great games,” Oates said. “It was a hard-fought game. The building was electric. They played very well, I thought. We generated 40-something shots and played good. It kind of had a playoff atmosphere to it. We’ll talk about that tomorrow and move on.”

Hendricks fired a sharp-angle shot from along the goal line that banked off Jets netminder Ondrej Pavelec (36 saves) and in for a 1-0 Washington lead, 3 minutes 14 seconds into the first. On the ensuing shift, though, the Jets were perilously close to tying things up.

Braden Holtby stopped the initial chance on the right side by Andrew Ladd on Winnipeg’s odd-man rush, but the rebound popped out and was sent over to Bryan Little on the left side. With the 23-year-old netminder scrambling to recover, Erskine dove in front of Little’s shot toward the open cage preventing what seemed like a sure goal. Much later in the period, with 13:51 gone, Erskine helped bail out his goaltender and teammates once more.

Jets forward Aaron Gagnon deflected a shot in front that went off Holtby’s pads and then over his head. The puck hit the blue paint and fluttered back up in the air dangerously close to crossing the goal line when Erskine reached in and swatted the puck out of the open net. The play was reviewed but there wasn’t conclusive evidence to overturn the ruling on the ice that it wasn’t a goal.

“I saw it go up off Holtsy and it looked like it was going in behind him,” Erskine said. “I just tried to get behind him and get my stick there and tip the puck out.”

Washington continued to push the pace and with 2:07 remaining in the opening period, Chimera scored his third goal of the season on his own rebound for a 2-0 advantage after a feed from behind the net by Perreault.

Playing to keep their postseason hopes afloat, the Jets responded quickly at the start of the second period when Evander Kane cut the Capitals’ lead to 2-1 just 16 seconds in. Unlike the team that started the season, Washington didn’t reel in the face of adversity and instead continued to press. Even after Jets forward Blake Wheeler tied the game at 2-2 with 14:11 gone in the middle period, the Capitals responded rapidly.

“You’ve just got to stick with the game plan,” Backstrom said. “They tied the game there in the second period, but we came back, we worked harder and then we scored two really big goals there in the second period.”

Thirty-seven seconds later, the building began rocking once more as the Capitals regained the lead. On an odd-man break up ice, Backstrom deflected a shot-pass by Ovechkin for a critical 3-2 edge. A little less than three minutes later, the third line cashed to provide Washington a cushion. Perreault fought for a loose puck in front and chipped it over Pavelec for a 4-2 lead.

Nik Antropov scored with just more than eight minutes remaining in regulation to cut Washington’s advantage to 4-3, but the home team kept working. The Capitals killed off a late penalty to Perreault for high-sticking and didn’t allow Winnipeg a single shot on goal during the advantage.

From the conclusion of the penalty kill to the end of regulation the home crowd recognized not only the successful dismissal of a penalty but how far this team had come in the past three months. The players want to make sure they go further, though.

“Obviously it was our goal,” Holtby said of winning the Southeast. “Just took a little bit of a rough path to get there. But it’s one step. Now we move on. Focus on the playoffs and what we have to do there.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/capitals/washington-capitals-clinch-southeast-division-no-3-seed-with-5-3-win-over-jets/2013/04/23/e5d5db92-ac81-11e2-a198-99893f10d6dd_story.html

LET’S GO CAPS!!!

Date: April 28, 2013 01:29PM

The Caps draw the Rangers in round one... again. So sick of the Rags.

Nice win last night vs the Bruins. It was a great way for the Caps to end the season.

Not looking forward to playing king Henry and the Rags. I'm thinking it will go to game 7.

Date: April 28, 2013 03:37PM

uhg the Rangers again. I am sick of Fonzi too. wish we could have drawn someone else. But oh well thats the breaks for winning the Southeast.

Date: April 29, 2013 06:24PM

Well...well...well and fucking well...

The Caps do it again. They won one more game then they needed to in order to win the worst division in the NHL. A division so bad that they are its only post-season representative. But, they have home ice advantage for at least round one.

As a fan, it's very hard for me to manage expectations this season. After the 2-7-1 start, I was convinced they'd finish last in the league. And it wasn't just the record, it was how they lost and how poorly they looked doing it. And then came those 2 games against WPG...and Green came back...and Ovechkin decided he did in fact want to play hard this season...and now here we are once again. 39 years...38 seasons...and another chance to win their first Stanley Cup.

An objective person would look at this season and say, "We're supposed to be on the golf course right now! How the fuck did we make the playoffs? Well, I guess we'll play with house money and see what happens..."

If the team told us at 2-7-1 that they'd make the playoffs and lose in the first round...hell, we'd take that. But, now that the series is getting ready to start would we still take that deal? Hell, no! Look at the LAK last season. No one picked them for anything and they won it all. So, this season...why not the Caps? Why not indeed?

So, here's my honest prognostication...the only chance this team has to get to the Finals is either if PIT is eliminated early or Crosby is not 100%, the rest of the East can beat on him throughout the playoffs (preferably a 7 game series in their first round) and the Caps play their best hockey to beat a battered Penguins squad enroute to losing to CHI in the finals.

In summary, my wallet likes CHI to win it all, regardless of who wins the East. And my heart will be Rockin' the Red. I like Eric Fehr with his 2 T winners against BOS to be this year's version of John Druce...

Date: April 29, 2013 07:35PM

The Washington Post Prognosticators are picking The Rangers in 7.

Date: April 29, 2013 09:53PM

cicadas are coming Wrote:
> The Washington Post Prognosticators are picking
> The Rangers in 7.

Of COURSE they are...

They'll say the Redskins will get a ring EVERY fucking year but we can't be homers for the Caps...turds. I mean have they fucking WATCHED this hockey team in the last month? Nobody wants to play this team right now...

Date: April 30, 2013 01:49PM

Great article in Wash Post about the 98 Cup Run.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/capitals/washington-capitals-coaches-are-direct-link-to-teams-run-to-1998-stanley-cup-finals/2013/04/29/2477b950-ac56-11e2-a8b9-2a63d75b5459_story.html

Fifteen springs ago, the Washington Capitals entered the NHL playoffs with no particular distinction, no definite direction. They had a new general manager, a new coach, a new arena, and nearly a quarter-century into their existence, no real tradition of success. They finished third in the league’s old Atlantic Division and approached the postseason as the fourth seed in the Eastern Conference, middling by definition. Had they lost their first-round matchup against Boston, old-school hockey people between Washington and Winnipeg might have, collectively, shrugged. BUT

Posted by: village idiot ()
Date: April 30, 2013 02:40PM

The Ducks, coached by one Bruce Boudreau, beat CHI in every match this season. If it comes down to those two in the West, I'm taking the Ducks. Perhaps Boudreau can suceed without the Caps.

Date: April 30, 2013 04:16PM

That would be a sweet matchup in the finals. Ducks Vs Caps.

Posted by: C-A-P-S ()
Date: May 03, 2013 11:30AM

Good show last night boys. Keep it going. Lets go caps!

Date: May 03, 2013 05:16PM

The Caps have won nothing. Too many blind passes onto NYR sticks and a refusal of the defense to clear the crease in front of Holtby. Taylor Pyatt is going to turn into Phil Esposito if the Caps don't start playing with a big fucking bag of knuckles in front of their net.

The Caps have no playoff pedigree and they scare no one. No game lead is safe and no series lead is safe. They have won nothing...keep working boys.

Posted by: TheNorthman ()
Date: May 04, 2013 03:38PM

Caps 2- Rangers 0

Posted by: Yeah, yeah, Ovi's ballsack ()
Date: May 04, 2013 03:41PM

That was a terrific win. The score was only 1-0, but we dominated from wire to wire.

Posted by: RowdyBurns ()
Date: May 04, 2013 06:47PM

Its nice to be on the other side of a 1-0 OT win for a change. Hopefully they can get one win at MSG and close out the series back home.

Date: May 04, 2013 07:48PM

SWEEEP! SWEEEP! SWEEEP!

Mike Green delivers! Why all the hate on Mike Green throughout the season was unwarranted. Dude has been CLUTCH since he's been back!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2013 07:49PM by ferfux.

Date: May 04, 2013 07:55PM

They have still won nothing. I must admit, these are the kinds of games the Caps historically lose so, it was a great relief when Green bagged the game winner. Clearing the puck over the glass causing delay of game penalties is becoming a problem in this series. I'm still unclear if the Alzner clear near the end of regulation hit the glass or not. It didn't look like it did but Torterella didn't seem upset about it. I hope Oleksy bought Green and all the penalty killers a healthy post-game meal because they saved his ass. And not just saved it for that game but for the entire series and possibly beyond. When a rookie makes a mistake like that in a big game loss it can mess up their head permanently.

Where's Backstrom...Ribeiro...??? It's early but these guys are not involved. The defense is still not clearing the front of the net nor are they stepping up on Rick Nash whose game is shifting into high gear. And Holtby...Christ...either freeze the puck or drop it BEHIND the net. This is the playoffs buddy...please try and control the puck better.

I guess it says something that they're up 2-0 having not played their best hockey but, they're going on the road now...to a very loud barn. They've won nothing. Keep working boys.

Posted by: Mike Green says like my nuts ()
Date: May 04, 2013 08:09PM

I've been down on Green for years. He's made me eat my words big time this season. When he's been healthy, he's been great. Not good, great.

Date: May 06, 2013 11:31AM

Seemed like once he cut his hair his play improved. Not that short hair makes someone play harder but that he became more focused on hockey and not high sticking chicks.

Posted by: Same old, same old ()
Date: May 06, 2013 12:27PM

Does anyone really expect the Caps to NOT blow this 2-0 series lead?

It will be tied up 2-2 going back to DC, book it.

Date: May 06, 2013 12:51PM

I predict they will go win game 3 more handily after a NYR heartbreaking loss, lose game 4 and win game 5.

Date: May 07, 2013 08:14AM

After much contemplation last night.....I am no longer in the prediction business.

Posted by: frfx ()
Date: May 07, 2013 08:19AM

Penalties.

Posted by: Refs ()
Date: May 07, 2013 01:20PM

frfx Wrote:
> Penalties.

Yep. What was it like 6 in the first? Can't win giving up that many power plays.

Date: May 08, 2013 04:50PM

Good to see some of you guys back in here. It’s playoff hockey! Almost seems there were more posts when the Caps were stinking up the joint to start the season.

I was just thinking today, this series with the Rangers through 3 games has gone exactly like the Bruins series last year. Caps win the first two at home, one with ease the other in OT, then they lose in a hard fought game three.

Does this mean we should expect the Caps to rally from behind tonight in an OT win? I hope not. Caps need to get one on the road and take this in 5.

Posted by: Same Ol' Shitty Caps ()
Date: May 08, 2013 10:14PM

OK, should I give up hope? I really want to say Rangers in 6 after tonight. Ovi sucked tonight and Holtby looked shaky. I'm just worried that it's the same ol' shit from this group.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: May 08, 2013 10:15PM

Well that sucked

Posted by: So predictable... ()
Date: May 09, 2013 10:36AM

Same old, same old Wrote:
> Does anyone really expect the Caps to NOT blow
> this 2-0 series lead?
>
> It will be tied up 2-2 going back to DC, book it.

Somebody gets a cookie.

Date: May 09, 2013 11:15AM

So predictable... Wrote:
> Same old, same old Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does anyone really expect the Caps to NOT blow
> > this 2-0 series lead?
> >
> > It will be tied up 2-2 going back to DC, book
> it.
>
> Somebody gets a cookie.

HA! Sucks that he/she was right. 'So predictable' gets some credit for posing that before games 3 & 4 (not that it matters).

So now it's a best of 3 series with Caps having home ice. Game 1 starts tomorrow at 7:30PM at the Verizon Center. I will be there (hopefully).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2013 11:15AM by TheNorthman.

Date: May 09, 2013 12:18PM

I hate to say it but Holtby lost that game for the caps.

When your team scores 3 goals against Lundqvist, then you dame well better stay out of the box and win because you're probably not going to score a 4th.

Also the NYR should not getting as many favorable calls back in DC. Here is a run down of the number of penalties called in the first 4 games:

__________Caps___NYR
Game 1...... 5..........6
Game 2...... 5..........4
Game 3...... 6..........3
Game 4...... 4..........2

Note how the NYR were much more competitive in games 2,3&4 when the calls were going their way. Remember the caps barely won game #2 and had the only goal scored of the whole game. Ovie has been shut down because there have not been enough PP scoring opportunities for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2013 01:14PM by Hay Zeus.

Date: May 09, 2013 01:08PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> I hate to say it but Holtby lost that game for the
> caps.
>
> When your team scores 3 goals against Lundqvist,
> then you dame well better stay out of the box and
> win because you're probably not going to score a
> 4th.

Holtby did lose the game. Too relaxed back there. He only had one goal scored on him in the first two games and then he goes up to NY and lets them get in his head.

Date: May 10, 2013 10:56PM

Pretty good skate at the ol' rotary phone booth tonight...

I'm not sure why they gave Wilson a sweater tonight over the other healthy scratches but fortunately he was not a liability. I don't see them winning on Sunday but I like their chances coming back to Chinatown on Monday...especially if it goes into overtime again.

The officiating continues to be inconsistent but what I liked tonight was the Caps played through it and played them oh-fer on the PK. There was a NYR shot on goal after a whistle. That's a dangerous play. I'd like to see the league make that an automatic 2 minute minor unsportsmanlike conduct.

3 down...13 to go. They've won nothing.

Date: May 10, 2013 10:57PM

Well done Mr. Holtby......well done..*clap! *clap! *clap!

Date: May 10, 2013 11:04PM

The reason why a team brings up a 19 year old in the playoffs is because they can skate all fregging night and into the wee hours of the morning. Given the Caps history of games going into multiple OT's, its not a bad idea.

BTW, after last season, my marriage can't take many more 7 game series that also have multiple overtime games. Unfortunately for my wife, What she doesn't know is that hockey was my first love.... specifically Manon Rheaume

Posted by: Ribero ()
Date: May 10, 2013 11:05PM

Fuck yeah. Love it. Just win on Sunday. For God sake, just win on Sunday.

Date: May 10, 2013 11:14PM

Sweet jesus that Lundqvist is a handsome man......I wonder what kind of super sexy goaltending freak babies Lundqvist and Rheaume would make?

Date: May 12, 2013 03:44PM

Game 6 starts in just under an hour. I'd love to see the Caps jump out to an early 2 or 3 goal lead and put it in cruise control from there.

Unfortunately, given that this game's in the Garden it'll probably be another really close one.

Posted by: friskydingo ()
Date: May 12, 2013 03:50PM

Caps take it in game 7 is my prediction

Posted by: friskydingo ()
Date: May 12, 2013 07:00PM

Fuck me, it sucks to always be right, but we got this shit tomorrow..

Posted by: Alex Brovechkin ()
Date: May 12, 2013 07:02PM

We'll lose tomorrow. I guarantee it.

Date: May 12, 2013 07:30PM

The home team has won every game in this series. its in Verizon center. Caps win series. End of story.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: May 12, 2013 07:48PM

Fraid not, they should have dispensed with these guys by now. They will lose tomorrow. Too much pressure for the Caps.

Date: May 13, 2013 08:13AM

Well our old buddy Bruce lost another game 7 on home ice in Anaheim.

Posted by: WTF???? ()
Date: May 13, 2013 11:14AM

Can you say CHOKE! The Caps choke every year and this year is no different. Caps will lose tonight! They suck, their season is done, because they always choke.

Pages: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 3 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.