HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
NOVEC
Posted by: Powercustomer ()
Date: July 01, 2012 08:14PM

Friday's storm was HUGE and SCARY! Power went out Friday night. We called NOVEC and the recorded message said we could expect power to be restored Monday, July 2 at 1PM. Husband pulled out the generator, extension cords, old radio to allow phones to be charged, fans to operated and news from the radio. He also used the generator (FROM outside) to run the refriderator!

Around 7PM Saturday night, power was restored. Thanks NOVEC! Feel really bad for those without power!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NOVEC
Posted by: Love Them ()
Date: July 01, 2012 08:20PM

I love NOVEC. We live near Clifton, and in 20 years I don't think we've ever had a power outage that lasted more than a few hours - and those are extremely rare. I also really like the fact that they tell you when they expect power to be restored.

I don't understand how NOVEC can do in hours what it seems to take Pepco days to do (or more acurately, vice versa).

Posted by: good deal ()
Date: July 01, 2012 08:28PM

NOVEC FUCKING RULES!!!

Posted by: big tennis fan ()
Date: July 01, 2012 08:35PM

Yeah, I love Novec Djokovic too! He's always serving and volleying. I loved it when he won Wimbledon last year.

Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: July 01, 2012 08:36PM

Love Them Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand how NOVEC can do in hours what
> it seems to take Pepco days to do (or more
> acurately, vice versa).

Is PEPCO set up the same way as NOVEC? NOVEC is not-for-profit so can plow earnings into infrastructure.

http://www.novec.com/About_NOVEC/index.cfm

Posted by: NOVEC fan ()
Date: July 01, 2012 08:50PM

NOVEC seems to have a good team that gets power restored quickly. I don;t know why they seem more responsive than Dominion. But I am pleased with their service.

Posted by: Chip Chipperson ()
Date: July 01, 2012 09:08PM

Hey retards. NOVEC has 125,000 customers, dominion has over 800,000 in northern Virginia.

Posted by: 113 ()
Date: July 01, 2012 10:15PM

Chip Chipperson Wrote:
> Hey retards. NOVEC has 125,000 customers, dominion
> has over 800,000 in northern Virginia.

Hey retard, it's not about the number of clients. NOVEC doesn't have as many power outages because they undetstand the importance of properly maintaining their systems before the storms hit rather than waiting until shit is falling down.

And the reason they are able to devote those resources while Dominion cannot is because of what Olde Farte tried to say but got wrong. NOVEC is a cooperative so it is "owned" by the customers and answerable only to them. Dominion is a publicly held corporation that is answerable to Wall Street. Upgrading and maintaining their shit has to be balanced against sending dividends to their shareholders.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 01, 2012 11:20PM

Love Them Wrote:
> I love NOVEC. We live near Clifton, and in 20
> years I don't think we've ever had a power outage
> that lasted more than a few hours - and those are
> extremely rare. I also really like the fact that
> they tell you when they expect power to be
> restored.
>
> I don't understand how NOVEC can do in hours what
> it seems to take Pepco days to do (or more
> acurately, vice versa).

I 100% agree with all your statements.

Posted by: Power customer2 ()
Date: July 02, 2012 10:45AM

113 Wrote:
> Chip Chipperson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey retards. NOVEC has 125,000 customers,
> dominion
> > has over 800,000 in northern Virginia.
>
> Hey retard, it's not about the number of clients.
> NOVEC doesn't have as many power outages because
> they undetstand the importance of properly
> maintaining their systems before the storms hit
> rather than waiting until shit is falling down.
>
> And the reason they are able to devote those
> resources while Dominion cannot is because of what
> Olde Farte tried to say but got wrong. NOVEC is a
> cooperative so it is "owned" by the customers and
> answerable only to them. Dominion is a publicly
> held corporation that is answerable to Wall
> Street. Upgrading and maintaining their shit has
> to be balanced against sending dividends to their
> shareholders.

Agrred! You are 100% correct!

Posted by: Whats up ()
Date: July 02, 2012 01:32PM

Iagree with the posts so far.NOVEC is great. My question is this-Most of the texts refer to power being restored in hours but I can't say the same. At first my powerwas to be on by 1 PM today, then 6PM tonight but now 1PM tomorrow. I live off Braddock Rd and according to NOVEC's map it is the last neighborhood in their coverage area to the East. Is it because we are only a 13 house neighborhood or the last customers on the grid?

Posted by: novec customer ()
Date: July 02, 2012 06:56PM

I'm off Popes Head Road close to where it meets Clifton Road. Restoration times did change a few times for me, but service was restored here around 5:00pm Saturday, which exceeded their estimated restoration of today at 1pm. They have been very reliable in the past and I cannot recall any extended outages since I've lived here. Lots of above ground wires surrounded by big trees back here too.

Date: July 02, 2012 07:11PM

I have to agree. NOVEC restored our power within hours. And they actually seem to listen to customers. A few years ago, we had problems with the power cutting off--only for a few seconds--nearly every morning. Just enough to wipe out all our digital settings, etc. I called to report it, and they explained what they were trying to do. It took them a few weeks in total, with NOVEC trying a bunch of different things. It turned out that some squirrels had built a nest at the top of one of the poles. It'd apparently worn away some of the insulation, and the rising sun burning off the dew would cause a couple-second power outage. The nest wasn't visible from the ground, so they had a truck with a worker in the extension inspect all the wires and connections until they found and fixed it. Nice service.

Posted by: vewDV ()
Date: July 02, 2012 07:31PM

NOVEC is a not-for-profit corporation. As a cooperative it is owned and controlled by its member-owners— the customers who purchase energy from NOVEC.
NOVEC's customer-owners elect a board of directors which governs all Cooperative business affairs.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.