HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 1234AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 4
Incident at Carl Sandburg Middle School, 5/19/2012
Posted by: 2concerned ()
Date: May 21, 2012 11:48PM

On 5/19/2012, during an extra-curricular event at Carl Sandberg in Fairfax County, VA, I witnessed this gentleman in the parking lot of the school.

At first, I didn’t pay attention – he was engaging other people. But, when I came back outside, he was slowly “cruising” the parking, playing Reggae at very high volume. At one point, he stopped, got out, and danced for me while I filmed.

Back in his car, he resumed cruising, taking breaks to do what I’ll describe as “low-speed donuts” in the more crowded sections of the lot. At one point, he stopped again, and informed me that I “would not infringe his right to worship Jesus”, though I don’t believe I’d tried before then.

I called 911, and kept an eye until Police responded. Police interviewed him, determined that he did not pose a threat, but directed him to park his vehicle, and keep the music volume down.

Later, during the finale of the event, this man danced on stage to join a performing Drum Corps, danced with the professional performers, then danced off the stage. The county officials that he passed had all assumed that he was part of the even – I was one of three adults that took notice, alerted staff, and “kept an eye” until he was safely away from the children. I was not able to film this event – my batteries were spent in the parking lot, but it occurred in front of hundreds of witnesses.

Still later, he identified me in the auditorium as the person who had “called the Police.” That is why, upon leaving, and seeing him rolling toward me slowly in the parking lot, my concern was for my own child.

It only later occurred to me: The man had told both the Police and the Fairfax County staff that he had a child in the performance. If this is the case, I would reason that he was the only guardian adult for that child. I called the non-emergency number on Saturday night, but because he had been “cleared” by Police, and the incident had not been reported by County officials, there was nothing he could do. Unable to even call, to see if they were okay, I asked if he could forward it to Social Services, or some similar Department. “No,” he said. “Could I?”, I asked. “Yes, but they won’t be able to do anything, either.”

“Thanks for calling and have a pleasant evening…”

I DO NOT KNOW if this person was having a drug interaction, a medical emergency, or some other issue, but I won’t be able to rest until I know that he and the child are okay, or being looked after.

I do not want to cause anyone embarrassment. I spent quite a while deciding what to do, and I hope the individuals involved will understand and appreciate my concern for their child.

I realize that my concern seems to be an “outlier” here, but I only hope that you’ll find my judgement regarding - and handling of - this matter to be reasonable.

THANKS!

So far, I have contacted, or attempted to contact the FCPS Superintendent, the Police, and a host of others. I've gotten one reply, from the Superintendent's office that told me the matter was being "handed off", with no promise to contact me at all, or confirm that the incident was being investigated.
Attachments:
HaveYouSeen.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Incident at Carl Sandburg Middle School, 5/19/2012
Posted by: icumoncop ()
Date: May 21, 2012 11:53PM

damn i would give it to that hoe hard! i bet blackie was thinking the same thing

edit by Cary: (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
This troll post came from a proxy server hosted at reliablehosting.com. History of abuse. All reliablehosting.com servers have been banned from posting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2012 02:20AM by Cary.

Date: May 22, 2012 02:19PM

This person has been identified. He did, in fact, have reason to be at the school.

I'll probably never know what happened... it was clear that he was distressed in some way, but my deeper worries have been resolved.

The incident is being reviewed by Fairfax. It's my hope that if there wasn't a policy to prevent something like this from happening, or at least to report it, that there will be, by the time the review is conducted. Having two children in FCPS and SACC, I do intend to see the matter through, but policy review does take time.

My thanks to those who provided intelligent replies, and helped this matter receive the attention that I felt it needed.

Posted by: Parental Opinion ()
Date: May 22, 2012 02:22PM

Why is "the incident" being investigated and by whom and who instigated the investigation?

A dad is at his daughter's school and acting happy.

Yeah, he's a DANGER!

Crap.

Posted by: JBass ()
Date: May 22, 2012 02:28PM

I would think if he actually had a kid at the school we would have heard about this on the news..... beings that the kid would have literally died of embarrassment after their dad danced in the parking lot and on stage.

Date: May 22, 2012 02:45PM

I don't intend to cause this person further embarrassment... I'm going to assume that it was an OTC interaction, myself.

Any questions probably should (and I wish you would) be directed toward the Principal at Sandburg, Mr. Terrence Yarborough. His initial evaluation seems to have concluded that this was a "non-event", but having the company of other alarmed parents at the foot of the stage tells me that I am not alone in my concern.

As I searched for help to identify this person, I reached out to most of the local news outlets, but I found only disinterest. I find this distressing - yet darkly humorous - just months after they came from all directions to investigate the report of a small child who "saw a guy in a pickup truck" at our local Elementary.

With the urgency (worry for the child, and him) resolved, the matter will need to be reviewed, and I strongly feel that it should result in the creation of a policy which would prevent something like this, or at least result in it being reported, in the future. On the other hand, if existing policies were breached, I would hope for a different result.

Thank You, Again.

Date: May 22, 2012 02:47PM

Translation:

"I got bent out of shape because some innocent dad wasn't behaving like I'd want him to behave but everyone else officialll involved with anything at all thought there wasn't anything interesting about him.

And he was black, too"

Date: May 22, 2012 02:56PM

BTW, among the news outlets that didn't feel that this was worth mentioning:

Channel 7
Channel 4
Fox News
WTOP

As a parent, I'm left to wonder why they think that I watch the news :-)

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: May 22, 2012 02:58PM

forgot the black guy, who's the hot cop?

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 22, 2012 03:00PM

Parental Opinion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Translation:
>
> "I got bent out of shape because some innocent dad
> wasn't behaving like I'd want him to behave but
> everyone else officialll involved with anything at
> all thought there wasn't anything interesting
> about him.
>
> And he was black, too"

Yeah this is pretty much my conclusion. He was dancing and that translates to an endangered child? I'm not sure what has programmed people to be so concerned when someone plays music, enough that they call the police, call the school, demand they be contacted with updates, demand social services be involved. Sounds like the authorities are humoring the poster. I guess seeing a black guy who is dressed well and driving a nice SUV is suspicious to people.

This guy was literally reported to police for "dancing while black." "Enjoying music while black." At an event with a drum corps. Someone needs to get a grip, get help for their paranoia, and stop harassing people by taking video of them to the point your phone/camera/whatever has batteries die.

Date: May 22, 2012 03:00PM

Honest question.

Can you please outline the key elements that should be incorporated into the policy you seek?

Date: May 22, 2012 03:02PM

Wait, are you trying to tell me this guy was "DWB in a HPS"? (Dancing while black in a helicopter parent school?

Well that explains it, he shoulda known better.

Date: May 22, 2012 03:12PM

Again, I won't go further into the details, though I'm curious what particular brand of racism causes some of you to assume that I'm not black.

Details can be had from anyone who was there, or from the Principal, or from Christine Donohue (Chief of Staff, FCPS), who will tell you that it's SACC's problem (I've yet to hear from anyone on staff there) or you can keep inventing them at your own convenience.

As for the policy:

Handling the parking lot vs. the building as two separate incidents, since the staff would have no way to know what transpired in the parking lot...

There was an unknown (to everyone in the SACC program who was near the stage) person who inserted themselves into a large group of children, causing three different Fathers enough concern to get up and move to the front of the auditorium.

My thinking is that a case like that should have a report filed. At the very least. Otherwise "two separate incidents" have no way to be tied together. We subject ourselves to strip searches at the airport for commuter flights, but we'll make no effort to keep adults from child-packed areas where they have no reason to be?

You might think that my concerns are for naught. That's why (I would hope) tapes will be collected and reviewed. The situation is nearly impossible to "describe" with accuracy.

I never indicated that this person was outwardly hostile. In fact, before the Police, the only outward "aggression" seemed to have a religious focus. Otherwise, yes, he was very happy -- the very definition of erratic. The Police were called not because of his "behavior", but because of the manner in which he was operating a motor vehicle in a busy school parking lot.

My thanks to JBass for the intelligent question. They're often a rarity here.

Date: May 22, 2012 03:36PM

JBass:

I’m continuing to ponder your question, and come up with my own distilled answer.

Could I actually ask you for ideas?

If:
- Someone in the parking lot had troubled you enough to call Police
- That person then surprised you by popping up among a large group of dancing children (including your own)
- The staff thought he was part of the show
- Two other fathers were with you, expressing concern, and convincing the Staff that this “wasn’t on the program”
- 200 parents are filming, and the only clue that something is amiss is that he’s wearing jeans, and has keys swinging at the hip…

Obviously a policy would need to be even-handed, and hopefully not an onerous burden on staff, but without filing any sort of report, for example, would there be any way to know about a pattern of odd incidents, as local schools are probed? Or how about an estranged spouse… incidents like this would SURELY be documentation in domestic situations.

Then, a jump to “terrorism” might sound irrational, but for every precaution I myself take - whether it’s driving, flying, or just crossing the street - I apply twice as much to my children. How many times have I removed my shoes and had them scanned for the sake of one idiot that would’ve most likely failed, had he been given a Bic?

Helicopter? Not really… in fact, had I not been outside while my kids were preparing, I certainly would’ve been among the other parents, filming the show, never suspecting anything unusual. Because of the improvisational talents of the performers, he was integrated into the show almost seamlessly.

Date: May 22, 2012 03:40PM

2concerned Wrote:
> I'm curious what particular brand of racism causes
> some of you to assume that I'm not black.

!!!

I haven't read anything that assumed anything about you w.r.t. skin color.

===========

A guy is dancing - later on he's on stage...dancing? He OUTRIGHT mentions the stupidity of someone calling the police on him. ALL the authorities - every one of them, says there's nothing going on here.

Yet the OP thinks it isn't the OP that's the problem.

Posted by: Bill Gannon ()
Date: May 22, 2012 03:46PM

Should have given him a ticket and let him dance in front of a judge. See how amused the judge would be by this guys "talents"

Date: May 22, 2012 03:53PM

Well, from what I remember of school in FCPS, the mere act of THINKING about driving eratically would get you in a heap of trouble.

If this guy upsets you, take a look at the 'Piggyback Bandit' out of the Northwest.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46412234/ns/us_news-weird_news/#.Tz0qx1wV3js

I would think there are laws on the books that they could have charged him with if they felt so inclined. Disorderly conduct, trespassing, (even if he was originally okay to be at the school, he clearly did not belong on stage at that time. I read an article about a father who got on his daughters schoolbus and was charged with 'Disturbing a school function'. Now I dont know if the school function charge is on the books here in Va. but the point is that the police can generally find something to get almost anybody, if they want to.

With that said, I dont support that type of tactic by the police BUT the schools on the otherhand can track, log and monitor all types of things that the police cant/wont. It wouldnt be too hard to create a database of non-students who have had cause to be questioned by the authorities. Ultimately, at face value, this guy had NO reason to be on the stage. I would have been irked. Its not like it was another student pulling a senior prank (Which would have gotten the student suspended FOR SURE). Its a grown man causing a disturbance at a childrens event. Odd for sure.

Posted by: the OP was right to call ()
Date: May 22, 2012 03:56PM

If this person hadnt called the police and something more serious happened you would be calling them stupid. The OP did the right thing. If the guy wants to run around and act the fool go ahead. You start running a car around a crowded parking lot of kids you get what is coming to you.

You want to drive onto the lot and park your car no big deal, you want to start doing donuts around a bunch of kids shame on you with a ticket at the least. You hit my kid you better start making tracks and hope the po po get to you before I do.

Date: May 22, 2012 04:08PM

Thanks so much, to those that understand. Honestly, I'd been losing sleep all weekend -- really, from the very outset, all I wanted to do was hear that someone knew who this person was, and that he and the child were okay. Or even just that the child was at school. My second worst fear (behind harm to the child) was that he might not have had a child there, at all.

I've gotten "unofficial" support for my action from "a" Teacher's Union, as well. Yes, I feared being an "alarmist", but I'd rather suffer some embarrassment when someone who knows the entire story calls me that, than to regret doing nothing, later.

I can't possibly describe the frustration I felt in that moment. With only his lack of "costume" to give him away, and parents continuing to "roll tape", the moment was almost surreal - as if I was stuck in a horrible movie.

Again, for those that "get it", Thank You. I know many never will.

Date: May 22, 2012 04:42PM

JBass: I just looped back and read your article. That one really chills my spine.

If everyone just assumes that someone else is going to take notice, or do something, nothing ever happens. I wonder how many people have sat in the dark for days, assuming that "the power company was working on it", because surely, somebody else called them.

From what I saw, I was one of only three that really put things together, and for the first moments, even I thought he was part of the show. It was only because I'd heard him tell the police that he was there with his child that I even realized what I was seeing. As soon as that "clicked", I ran to the front, by way of the hall that runs along the side of the auditorium. When I arrived, there were already two other parents, frantically trying to explain the situation to staff.

For others: I've done nothing cowardly or craven, here. I watched his maneuvers in the parking lot after I'd called Police, and I stayed until they arrived, made certain that they knew he hadn't directly threatened anyone. Wen asked me to stop filming, I did. That's why he easily identified me in the auditorium, later -- I honestly couldn't tell whether he was angry or amused at that point. Before I'd even called the Police, I asked him, directly, whether he was "okay." He turned up the music, rolled up his window, and continue rolling by, at a very low speed....

I tried to find more subtle ways to resolve this. I was forced to wait through the weekend before people returned to their offices on Monday, literally losing sleep the entire time, and frustrated that I had his license plate, but the Police were apparently prevented, by their own policies, from even giving him a call. In the end, I did what I felt I must.

I don't think I would've posted anything here, though, had I realized that I couldn't delete the article later. I've been around "FairfaxUnderground" before... while it's a great source of information, it often leaves me feeling as though I should be wearing gloves to touch the keyboard.

It would be difficult to over-exaggerate my appreciation for the other parents who understand my concern. Unfortunately, I might need their support, should the review of this continue to find that it was a "non-incident."

Date: May 22, 2012 04:47PM

This entire thread reads like the "dog murdering vet" thread and the "creepy guy looking like a molester" thread.

A guy with a legitimate reason for being there is at the school, all the authorities say he's fine, ONE out-of-bounds panicking observer posts the guy is doing "slow donuts" (???) and others jump onto the thread as if the guy's a molester murdering kids by plowing them down with a huge SUV while laying down rubber with squealing tires.

BTW - I really don't know what a "slow donut" is - really, I don't.

Date: May 22, 2012 04:53PM

And you "read" like you're barely literate, PO. We all have our charms.

Heheh... had to see what the muck felt like.

Yuck.

Date: May 22, 2012 04:57PM

2concerned Wrote:
> And you "read" like you're barely literate, PO.
> We all have our charms.
>
> Heheh... had to see what the muck felt like.
>
> Yuck.

And you read, literally, like a real flake, no kidding:

>>> "...Unfortunately, I might need their support, should the review of this
>>> continue to find that it was a "non-incident."

Posted by: other parent ()
Date: May 22, 2012 05:08PM

Parental Opinion Wrote:
> This entire thread reads like the "dog murdering
> vet" thread and the "creepy guy looking like a
> molester" thread.
>
> A guy with a legitimate reason for being there is
> at the school, all the authorities say he's fine,
> ONE out-of-bounds panicking observer posts the guy
> is doing "slow donuts" (???) and others jump onto
> the thread as if the guy's a molester murdering
> kids by plowing them down with a huge SUV while
> laying down rubber with squealing tires.
>
> BTW - I really don't know what a "slow donut" is -
> really, I don't.

And you are viewing the actions of the OP through hindsight. What you are claiming was innocent fun was not known by the OP until the police showed up. I would find some guy doing donuts in a school parking lot strange. Kids run around the school all the time not looking where they are going. A school parking lot requires your attention not to be some horses ass driving around in circles.

I would find a grown man jumping up into a class show strange as well. The police constantly tell you to call if you see anything unusual or suspicious. I think this guy qualifies.

Date: May 22, 2012 05:10PM

See... you're proving it again, PO.

When you combine that quote with the first part of the sentence, the CONTEXT changes. I'll give you a moment to look that up.

Now... if you're with me:

You were specifically excluded, by that sentence.

See... literacy. It's hard to overhype.

Date: May 22, 2012 05:18PM

the OP was right to call Wrote:
> If this person hadnt called the police and
> something more serious happened you would be
> calling them stupid. The OP did the right thing.

OH SPARE US. The OP called the police because she saw something suspicious. That was a fine and responsible thing to do. The police came and determined he wasn't a threat, even LET HIM INTO THE SCHOOL. The situation was fully resolved at this point.

The crazy comes in what followed, demanding authorities continue to investigate, demanded involvement of child protective services (?!) and demanded followup communications.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 22, 2012 05:29PM

@just - I missed the whole "demanding" part of this. Point that out to me if I missed that - thanks

@OP - I was gonna rip u a new one at first.............but in all of this you've actually keep a level head on yr view of all this and you've said over and over again you didnt want to cause this dude any embarrassment so I gotcha - you arent trying to get the guy arrested you just want to know everythings kosher, right?

@anti-OP ppl - it's not the same as the Crosspointe Creeper - you know why? Cause OP aint trying to rip this dude a new one AFTER police have said he's cool. OP just wants school system to check over how this was handled. No biggie, really. May just help in case of an actual serious situation, y'know?

p.s. FCPD has some HOTTIES, yo!!! Officer Honey here aint the only one, either!

Posted by: Ladies and Gentlmen... ()
Date: May 22, 2012 05:38PM

You have just entered the "NO FUN ZONE"...
Attachments:
llabieshaveenteredthenofunzone-vi.jpg

Posted by: P7eGd ()
Date: May 22, 2012 05:43PM

I think I saw his uncle demonstrating Kung Fu in a film in Dumfries.

Posted by: Benjamin Sisko ()
Date: May 22, 2012 05:45PM

He looks like Captain Benjamin Sisko from Deepspace 9. I always wondered what happened to him.
Attachments:
Benjamin_ca5da3_217089.gif

Posted by: August West ()
Date: May 22, 2012 06:30PM

Best quote so far: "Otherwise, yes, he was very happy- the very definition of erratic."

Date: May 22, 2012 06:44PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @just - I missed the whole "demanding" part of
> this. Point that out to me if I missed that -
> thanks

No problem... first we consult Webster's.

demand
1. to ask for with proper authority; claim as a right
2. to ask for peremptorily or urgently
3. to call for or require as just, proper, or necessary

Requesting once and being told no and accepting the answer from the authorities is asking. Requesting over and over again, calling many different people, is demanding (see definition 2).

She called 911. Later she called police non-emergency number. Then the FCPS Superintendent, then again the police, and what the OP describes as "a host of others".

The OP wanted promises of followup ("the Superintendent's office...no promise to contact me at all, or confirm that the incident was being investigated.") (see definitions 1 and 3)

Call it what you want, but she fits the definition of demanding communications.

Posted by: The name is accurate ()
Date: May 22, 2012 06:57PM

2concerned is, in fact, too concerned. Good for you for bringing your concerns to the school and police. A good move! They followed up and the police and principal checked it out and let the guy into the school. Sounds like determined he was okay to be there.

You then called channels 4, 5, & 7 and WTOP radio and they all decided there was no story here. Sounds like even Pat Collin passed this up. You know what? It sounds like there is no story here. Of course, this could be a huge conspiracy involving FCPS administrators, FCPD, the local TV media, and the local radio media.

Keep posting just a little information about this and that related to this "incident" and claim you are doing so to avoid embarrassing anyone. Good move to keep the grassy knoll folks salivating to to keep the real story for being told. There’s got to be a conspiracy somewhere.

Date: May 22, 2012 07:03PM

Have you ever had a moment when you're so full of self-doubt, that you have to know?

I'd really wanted to let the process work. I'd truly like nothing more than to remove this post.

But, it's out there.

And I need to know whether I'm sane or not.

I submitted it to Fark.

Date: May 22, 2012 07:04PM

I mean... how can I possibly see this so differently than you folks?

Especially those with kids???

Date: May 22, 2012 07:10PM

@just - i guess you can see it that way. I see it more as requesting really........... but then again I dont know "how" it was done, y'know?

Date: May 22, 2012 07:18PM

Honey, you were there.

We're just responding to your cryptic posts trying to determine if you are a fearful, demanding possibly racist SUV driving member of the momfia or a troll.

Date: May 22, 2012 07:20PM

@2 - most of these ppl are just jerkin yr chain - 10th graders and the like - dont sweat it. You made the right call, ok? If you have a true, actual concern about a child, you stop EVERYTHING YOU ARE F**KING DOING and make sure that kid is ok. Anybody who dont do that needs a foot up their ass.

We can debate all day, all nite about judgement calls, who decides what is "scary", etc. But as long as you know that this whole incident was a no big deal situation at this point, then your cool.

p.s staying on this thread and responding to yr criticizers is NOT going to help you regain any sanity, trust me :)

pic unrelated
Attachments:
danicng suit cat.gif

Date: May 22, 2012 07:22PM

I've just been convinced that it's unlikely that anyone is going to come up with the right answer, unless I push.

So, I'm applying more pressure.

If I'm right, it's my only choice.

If I'm wrong, I'll live with it.

When I'm thinking about MY kids, I don't compromise.

Date: May 22, 2012 07:25PM

You were fine by notifying school personnel.

Everything you've done since is for attention and to fill a deep void of some kind.

It's OK, all the neighbors and Gordon Blvd. know you are a great mother.

Date: May 22, 2012 07:34PM

No... my argument is that the "normalcy bias" is worse than I thought.

Everything was fine this time... maybe it will be next time. I don't find something like this, going completely unreported, to be acceptable.

As far as I'm concerned, my children were involved.

Twice, in one day, I had reason to be concerned for the safety of my Daughter... another for my son, too, who played at Hollin Meadows on Saturday with the field gates chained shut. I'm the only person who's concerned about that, too -- the Fire Marshall wouldn't roll to look from 1 mile away! Either I'm nuts, or these are easily avoidable dangers that wouldn't cost much to fix.

Again, if I'm wrong, then nothing should change. But, I need to know that this has gotten attention, and that I don't have to BECOME a "helicopter parent."

Posted by: This Smells... ()
Date: May 22, 2012 07:35PM

Am I the only one who thinks this is a troll thread? No one talks like this, and no one acts like this.

Posted by: Helper ()
Date: May 22, 2012 07:35PM

2concerned....I'm wondering if you've considered another explanation, ie, that perhaps you're experiencing some PTSD issues. Hypervigilance is a common outcome. I encourage to consider speaking to a professional if PTSD is a possibility, given whatever your history may be. Get some rest....I wish you well.

Date: May 22, 2012 07:40PM

@August - I dunno if she's a good mom for all I know she's the lady I watched that was tailgating on 28 with her kid in the front seat almost slammed into traffic at Compton a cpl hrs ago........

@I lied I think yr a good mom LoLz (or dad I dunno really wasnt paying that much attention)

Anywho like I said as long as yr focused on the POLICY of how/what when down and not the dude and whatever the f**k it was he was doing (man, that was kinda creepy, wasnt it) then yeah, yr sane.

Posted by: Helicopter Pinhead ()
Date: May 22, 2012 07:47PM

Everyone chill the fuck out..GordonBlvd is handling this.

Date: May 22, 2012 08:49PM

I'll try to make this my last post on the topic, unless I can get some "traction." It would be quite easy to just be quiet now, and let this die down.

Unfortunately, I can't rest that way. In recent years, I've seen armed guards patrolling schoolyards, looking for wayward smokers. But, when I call 911 from a school that's 2 (3?) miles from a station, and it takes 10 minutes for Police to arrive, I surmise that prevention is going to much more effective than hoping for a rescue.

As a couple of you have surmised, it's not about THIS incident any longer. It's about the next one. You can call me a troll, and there might even be some truth to the "hyper vigilance" idea... it seems that I'm constantly seeing dangers that others don't... but, yes, I do think about these things more than most. Until submitting my resignation last week, my family's bread was buttered by "cyber-security", and I'm actually working to design security related products now. Still, here in the real world, I suspect that Tom Ridge would approve of my concern :-)

In any event, I don't think that what happened, or how it was handled, indicate that the policies are sufficient - or maybe not enforced, I don't yet know.

I DO think it was, and is, the school's responsibility to notify parents that an "incident" occurred. It wasn't just me that thought so, and the staff led him away as soon as they were able. As I've said before, I want someone who is responsible for my children's safety to tell me that I cannot expect any better before I'll accept that. If that's the case, I would regrettably be forced to consider other options.

If/when any of the hundreds of other people present weigh in, I'll be far more likely to accept their judgement than that which I've received so far. As yet, I have no reason to think that the vast majority are aware, nor are they being told.

And no, I won't rest until I know that the policies are sufficient and enforced, or hopeless and nonredeemable. As yet, I haven't found anyone that's willing to review the matter from beginning to end and promise to keep me aprised. One of many question that I have is: do the Police even notify the school when there's an incident in the school's own parking lot?

The information would have to be shared one way (Police -> School) to protect the confidence of minors, but it strikes me as outrageous that I could be questioned, and maybe arrested in the parking lot, and none of the officials would even be notified. With more information, I believe the staff would have responded much differently. I don't think the "answer" needs to be drastic or unreasonable.

Date: May 22, 2012 09:13PM

I know others asked this but the more you write the less I understand... in thirty words or less, what specific thing must happen to satisfy in your mind that the situation has been properly dealt with? This man is arrested? Warning posters with his face go up at the school? A TV station conducts a full investigation?

And I think you should consider that your actions are having an effect that opposes your motives... you want issues resolved by the authorities, but by constantly bringing up the incident with the authorities you are taking their time away from issues they are facing at that time, all for an issue and a case they consider closed. Just sayin'.

You did well calling the police, your responsibility as a concerned citizen is fulfilled, perhaps surpassed as many would just try to avoid someone they thought was acting strangely.

But also consider people act "strangely" all the time. There aren't enough police resources to spend a week investigating every report of someone acting like they are on drugs in the opinion of the observer.

Date: May 22, 2012 09:17PM

Actually, that brings up another SNAFU...

If the police DID notify the school, and it's a SACC program, is it still a "whole different department" (paraphrasing Fred Ellis).

Truly, the responses I've recieved here have led me to believe that the readership would vote to drop the matter, now. Again, I appreciate the support of those who understand my position, and for those that don't, I hope you never have to.

A couple of incidents at public school events on the same day? Two or three "terrorists" could have a larger psychic impact than the towers... we'd probably never resume extra-curricular activities. I'm certain that I could begin pointing out "scary stuff" all around most of you, that hasn't been seen before now. Yes, I think of these things. In the case of my concern for the child, I simply "put it together" too late, but I'm sure I'd be in therapy for the rest of my life if I'd done nothing, and something happened later.

This has nothing to do with race, or gender -- a threat can come in any shape, and potential attackers aren't always stupid. It'll look just like something you see every day. Then, like after airplanes were hijacked, we'll find ourselves asking "why didn't we see this?" What about "probing defenses?" Had the same behavior occurred within a mile of the White House, he's still be talking his way out.

Perhaps those that don't see it should be grateful that some of us do. Or maybe I'm crazy. The jury is still out, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 22, 2012 09:22PM

You didn't used to post here under the username "Spunky" did you?

Date: May 22, 2012 09:26PM

No, I posted once under a different name, after a friend of a friend was killed. He was a bike, and it tore me up to see what they put him through.

Just once. If I could've wiped my "monitor's memory" after what I read, I would've.

Date: May 22, 2012 09:27PM

Sorry... "He was a biker, and it tore me up to see what they put her through."

She barely survived, and degenerates considered the whole thing to be laughing stock.

Date: May 22, 2012 09:31PM

This was the first response I received from anyone. It came at 11:26AM on Monday. I'd pretty much "gone nuts" pinging people by that point, just begging for someone's attention.

Nothing followed on Monday.

---------

Mr. XXX – I have sent your email off to our security staff, the principal and the cluster. They will look into the matter for you.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Chris Walsh Donohue
Chief of Staff
Superintendent's Office
Fairfax County Public Schools
8115 Gatehouse Road
Falls Church, VA 22042
Ph: 571-423-1010
Fax: 571-423-1007

Date: May 22, 2012 09:32PM

The next correspondence, from anyone, came at 9:35 this morning. By 1:00 or 2:00 yesterday, I'd resumed my "screaming."

------------

Mr. XXX,

I was asked to respond to your below email that was received on May 21, 2012. Your Facebook link was reviewed and the principal of Sandburg Middle School made an inquiry. Apparently, the event you referred to was a School Aged Child Care (SACC) event on Saturday, May 19. SACC is a program run by the Fairfax County government, not the Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS). FCPS’ role in the event was simply to provide the space.

Nonetheless, the information provided to the principal, Mr. Terrence Yarborough, indicates that the individual that concerned you was, in fact, a parent of a SACC child and his participation in the dancing was welcomed by the performers.

You noted that you contacted the Fairfax County Police Department because of your concerns and that they sent a police officer out. They, according to your information, did not find a cause for further action and departed.

If you have further questions, I would suggest you contact the SACC program, http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ofc/Sacc.htm or the Fairfax County Police Department at the Mount Vernon District Station.

Fred Ellis
Director, Office of Safety and Security
Fairfax County Public Schools
8115 Gatehouse Road
Suite 3674
Falls Church, VA 22042
Phone: 571-423-2010
FAX: 571-423-2017
fred.ellis@fcps.edu

Date: May 22, 2012 09:34PM

At first, Fred was pretty helpful. I'd started to become ashamed of myself. Then Fred stopped answering questions, I think.

But, I'd heard back from VA DOE, too. They passed it back to the county. I have yet to hear from Steven Kerr.

------------------

Mr. XXX:

Thank you for bringing this situation to the attention of the Virginia Department of Education. While we prefer that your concern be addressed at the local level, I have forwarded your e-mail, via copy, to Mr. Steven Kerr who serves as an employment investigator at Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS). He will evaluate your information and forward it as necessary to other FCPS staff.

His direct telephone number is (571) 423-3154. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Tom

Thomas Broyles, Director
Business and Risk Management
Virginia Department of Education
P.O. Box 2120
Richmond, Va. 23218-2120
(804) 371-0028
thomas.broyles@doe.virginia.gov

Date: May 22, 2012 09:35PM

The email from DOE was at 10:29 this morning.

Fred stopped answering questions around 11:00.

Date: May 22, 2012 09:38PM

I spoke with Mr. Yarborough's office (Principal, Sandburg). He was too busy to speak, but I was assured that they'd confirmed that it was a parent.

I didn't ask many questions after that -- though there may not be an obligation to do some, I assumed that human decency had forced someone to crack, and actually check on the guy. In fact, I have no idea if that's the case.

Posted by: average joe ()
Date: May 22, 2012 09:40PM

You actually wasted my tax dollars reporting a dancing guy to the Virginia Department of Education? OMG, I can't believe this is a GUY spazzing out over this. I thought this had to be a lady but it is a dude.

Get a clue they stopped responding because there is no point in responding. At what point will you call the White House or the FBI?

Date: May 22, 2012 09:42PM

When a complete stranger, unknown to performers or staff, but with behavior that alarms multiple parents, pops up in the middle of a group that includes your kid, maybe, just maybe, you'll have clue.

I sincerely hope that you never do.

Date: May 22, 2012 09:47PM

If you thought your child was in imminent danger, why didn't you go remove the guy from the stage yourself? Why didn't you protect your child from harm if you felt that way? Why didn't the other parents you claim feel exactly as you do help you remove him as a group?

Date: May 22, 2012 09:48PM

Or grab up your kid and leave immediately if you thought your child would be hurt?

Date: May 22, 2012 09:49PM

Date: May 22, 2012 09:51PM

justsayin Wrote:
> I know others asked this but the more you write
> the less I understand... in thirty words or less,
> what specific thing must happen to satisfy in your
> mind that the situation has been properly dealt
> with? This man is arrested? Warning posters with
> his face go up at the school? A TV station
> conducts a full investigation?

OP, in all seriousness I am interested in your response to the above. What is the trigger that sets your mind at ease that all is okay?

Date: May 22, 2012 09:57PM

There were three males there, including myself, convincing staff as quickly as we could. To "rush" the guy would've at best, ruined the show for everyone. He really was a great dancer, and as I found out later, the music that the Corps was playing was native to his homeland. Only his costume "gave him away", and he'd walked right by a dozen people who never noticed that anything was out of place.

I cannot swear to this... the explanation, as I seemed to hear it from Mr. Yarborough's office, didn't make a lot of sense to me. I had been told by one person at that point that he was a parent, but when I pressed to find out how this was confirmed, I was directed to Mr. Yarborough's office. In the end, as I understand it, he had been dancing backstage, unnoticed. The reason I missed him even popping up, at first, was that he had already been there.

Really, this time it's fine. But, I think the other parents who's children were packed like sardines near the stage should be able to judge for themselves. If the consensus is that I'm nuts, I'll just hope to outlive the humiliation. If I'm right... well... I'm sure I won't be able to pursue this in anonymity -- I'd just like to warn my Wife first.

She's gonna kill me, but she's in Iowa right now with the kids. My Son's team rocked the Odyssey of the Mind State Championship, and they're doing the world finals, now!

Yeah... proud... genuine :-)

Date: May 22, 2012 10:17PM

"Or grab up your kid and leave immediately if you thought your child would be hurt?"

In fact, when my Daughter and I stepped onto the asphalt out front, I saw his Silver Toyota SUV, pretty close to the far end of the lot, begin to roll toward us slowly.

Please... I can't say this enough... the guy did nothing objectively threatening, but this was after

1) I called the Police, and had hung around long enough to be sure that he was okay, and that I wasn't needed for questions
2) he "popped up" once inside the auditorium, made some comment that I didn't quite get (I have a difficult time with deep accents) which included the word "Police"
3) he then surprised EVERYONE by popping up in the middle of the finale.

Truly, that's why I do insist, demand, whatever, that someone who understands basic safety, take a look at this scenario. It's different when looked at as individual pieces, but because of my own activity (sneaking a cigarette), I saw everything from an absolutely unique vantage point. If they look, and tell me that I'm paranoid, then I can either pack my kids off to public school, or seek counseling.

This has been one of the most difficult things I've ever done... I recently resigned, I'm trying to launch a company, and during the brief moment where I thought Fark was going to pick this up, I had no idea whether I was going to get a "Hero" or "Dumbass" tag.

My submitted headline was:
Local lunatic publicly flogged for attempting to... KEEP STRANGERS OUT OF OUR SCHOOLS?

I even asked George Takai what he thought. (He never answers, but it's soothing, somehow.)

Yeah, it might look like I'm an attention whore, but I'm beyond nervous right now. A lot of people have this on tape, and unless I'm entirely "off my nut", it's going to end up on the news. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle WTOP referring to me as a local lunatic after I disparaged them for not looking at the story.

Really, I have tapes... nobody has asked to see them. I'm the only one that saw a large portion of any of it, except for several people who I know he tried to convert.

Saturday was a really bizarre day for me. And the lack of sleep since then hasn't made the following ones much better.

Date: May 22, 2012 10:24PM

Sorry... lost my train of thought. As I said, I'm pretty tired.

Anyway, when we stepped onto the lot, he started rolling, and I told my Daughter: "I just unlocked the car. Don't look back, just go ahead, get in, and lock it."

Murphy could've told you what came next. She stops dead, turns around, and starts scanning to see what's going on.

But he kept rolling slowly, and I never looked back, because I was afraid to make eye contact -- I was just trying to watch the vehicle by way of reflections on other cars.

I realize that this was completely based on my own "fear" -- but none of it is "racist", since I'd feel the same about anyone who acted like that, life-long Fairfax resident, or otherwise. But, my fear did stop me for looking.

It wasn't until much later on Saturday that it clicked: there was a child somewhere, or there wasn't. Either answer could have some horrible implications, and perhaps sleep deprivation and my imagination have just been running free since then.

Again, I'd like an "expert opinion" before I decide what comes next.

Posted by: Priorities ()
Date: May 22, 2012 10:28PM

Seriously though ... who is the chick cop? If I do "slow donuts" will she show up??

Date: May 22, 2012 10:31PM

I can call her, if you'd really like me to :-)

Posted by: This is not a Joke! ()
Date: May 22, 2012 10:33PM

Seriously...ANY woman who can manage to look good in govt-issue pants is HOT!

But this was about a dancing dude, or something...

Posted by: Big Dog ()
Date: May 22, 2012 10:39PM

My guess is that the cop who was hot, after talking with the subject and found that he was not drunk or high so she didn't arrest him. Ran the subject thru NCIC and found that he was not wanted or a sex offender and told him to have a nice day and quit driving like a fool. I bet that she had to document the incident.

I guess we will start Id'ing subjects as they enter to make sure they are related to someone involved in the program. My guess is who ever was in charge of the event did not make a stink or you would have talked with them by now.

Date: May 22, 2012 10:41PM

I missed this (and I'm not accustomed to the "OP" thing):
"What is the trigger that sets your mind at ease that all is okay?"

I suppose that's vague. Most security is a compromise between safety, and getting anything done... in this case, off the top of my head...

1) Do the Police notify the school when there's an incident in the parking lot?
(Think of a lurking parent, getting chased off more than once)
2) Do the Schools talk to each other (if the same guy drew attention in several places, would anyone notice a pattern?)
3) If the Police DID notify FCPS, would FCPS notify SACC? (Apparently, it's a "whole different department.")
4) Were there procedures in place, such as reporting, that were not followed???

Going beyond that, I can't really answer the question. When I did training, we'd refer to the "Orange Jumpsuit Test." In other words, do you think whatever you're doing might land you in one? But the relevant test here would actually be the "sleep test": "When all is said and done, are you comfortable enough to sleep?"

And frankly, based on what happened, I'm not.

Date: May 22, 2012 10:48PM

Well apparently you can't sleep after this since you able to answer after every other person posts. I doubt that the police have the time to tell the schools when something happens on their grounds. My bet is that they only tell the schools when someone from the school system is involved in a police incident. The school security may keep track of those events but who knows. Sounds like you need to run for office. By the look of your last post your spending more money then the county has and creating more paperwork and emails that won't get read.

Date: May 22, 2012 10:57PM

He was "hiding" backstage, as I understand it.

I didn't say that all of these should be implemented, but I think that I should be able to find out what IS in place, so that I can make an informed decision for my kids.

Date: May 22, 2012 10:59PM

And no, the "did I just publicly humiliate myself, and am I crazy?" question isn't really conducive to sleep, either.

I'll probably drop dead for a couple of hours soon...

Posted by: WTF??? ()
Date: May 22, 2012 11:02PM

People, what is the matter with you? You are being trolled! Isn't that obvious by now? He's practically begging to be outed.

Date: May 22, 2012 11:04PM

I swear, I wish I'd never felt a need to do this. And I really wish I'd done my homework on FU -- again, I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to delete this entire thread, once I knew what was going on.

I suppose I'm lucky that I didn't start taunting everyone to get their attention, as had crossed my mind... I actually did a bit of that on Facebook, and I'm not proud of myself.

I know Joe was upset that I wasted the DOE's time (was that a joke?)... I tried pinging the Governor too.

Yeah, maybe a tiny bit "alarmist", I suppose.

At least, the Governor seems to think so :-)

Date: May 22, 2012 11:05PM

Oh, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, too... yeah, I guess I wasted 2 minutes from a lot of different people's days.

Date: May 22, 2012 11:08PM

The notes I've shown are just some of the responses. You have no idea how many people I pinged, tagged, wrote on their public walls...

The VAST majority were just ignored.

Including by SACC.

Date: May 22, 2012 11:18PM

Yes I maybe a troll but come on she is over the edge. Don't worry I am sure that she will have her kids LOJACK soon so she will know where they are if they are able to get beyond the length of the cord she has yet to cut. Nutz are out there hey your kids live with one but it doesn't make it illegal to be one.

Date: May 23, 2012 04:50AM

"Nutz are out there hey your kids live with one but it doesn't make it illegal to be one."

Quite possibly... but I'm not about to rest my child's safety on the opinion of a person who can't even decipher the clues about my gender.

I want the attention of someone who is paid to think about these things. Call it a demand if you'd like.

I really don't see that I have a choice... the "court of public opinion" seems to be in session, and to the best of my knowledge, not a single person who has leveled criticism has bothered to pick up the phone and verify one word of any of this.

Why isn't it on WTOP?

Because they don't think you care.

"Yeah, it happened RIGHT IN FRONT OF 200+ PEOPLE, many of whom were treated to his brand of gospel on the way into the building and/or witnessed his erratic behavior and we didn't mention it. Or investigate it. This time. Because it turned out okay. This time.

Sorry... I DO CARE.

If you don't get it now, maybe you'll be grateful when you do.

Date: May 23, 2012 05:04AM

My intention isn't to sound "sexist", but....

The more I think about this, the more trouble I'm have picturing a woman, standing in the open, engaging him directly, and keeping an eye until the Police arrive.

No... I do happen to be larger and stronger than most. That sometimes leaves me feeling obligated to help others where many just "don't get involved" -- that was the general rule on Saturday. I suspect that I have a touch of an "anti-bully complex", but when I see a unique opportunity to help others, I can't just sit back and hope that someone else might be willing and able to take on the responsibility. When I see things SO differently, I don't see how I could possibly just sit back, and hope that people who're attempting to break the story into little passable bucks come up with the right conclusion.

Between the self-victimizing "anti-snitch" culture, and the fear that trying to do the right thing will lead to unwanted attention, I wonder, how many people could really deal with this site? Though childish, it quickly becomes tempting to roll in the mud with the rest of the pen.

And getting this done quietly?

Been there.

Done that.

Didn't work.

Escalation... it continues.

Date: May 23, 2012 05:21AM

Thinking more... (better rested today, but not much.)

I want to put this out for consideration while I'm about as "fresh" as I'm likely to be today:

I am not having fun with this.

As far as I know, my Wife is going to come up to find me strung from a tree in the front yard, and our home burnt to the ground.

But... that leads me to conclude: if I don't do it, NOBODY ELSE WILL.

I'm continuing not for attention, but because this is actually more "comfortable" to me than doing nothing would be.

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY SUPPORT THAT I CAN GET.

I'm hoping there won't be a lot more to respond to, really. Short of posting the tape, or his plate, I think I've posted just about all that might be helpful to anyone.

Hopefully, I'll find the wisdom to apply the minimum force needed to have this REALLY LOOKED AT. That's all I want.

But please, leave this guy alone. I never meant to call attention to his situation. Maybe there never was a "situation"... perhaps he's just a very gregarious/confrontational person. It's not about him, anymore.

Maybe he just hadn't been sleeping well, either.

Date: May 23, 2012 05:47AM

I couldn’t stop chuckling about something last night, which was unfortunate since I was trying to put it out of my mind long enough to sleep:

“Nobody talks like that.”

That’s not true. I’ve met someone. I hate to say it, but it’s creepy. That’s where context comes in to play again. I worked with the guy for a few hours, and it was “creepy.” Had he randomly engaged me in a parking lot, I would’ve been on alert.

But no, I hope I don’t sound anything like this. I suppose I got carried away with my NVCC education, but I find that even in the digital age, words and ideas can have more power than anything.

But I’ve spent my whole life “having ideas,” not acting, and regretting. Like the housing crash – I swear I called that one, right on the money. A lot of people who know my deeper political and economic views might even consider me radical, but we didn’t follow through on my plan to “dump” the house, and I’ve regretted it ever since. We actually took it off of the market so that I could finish my two-year degree, which took me twelve years, in total.

Any time you make a move like that, though, risk is required. You have to at least KNOW your risks before you can make an intelligent decision.

Since FCPS and SACC are “completely different departments,” would the Principal know about ANY of this if I hadn’t kept pounding on day 3?

I don’t know, but I don’t think it should be difficult to get answers.

I mean, really – people are upset because I BEGGED a lot of people to forward this to that one person, who I can yell at if something goes wrong, who will tell me exactly what was supposed to happen, and whether it happened. Again, I’m not proud of the cajoling that I did. I’d like to hide behind sleep loss to excuse it.

But anyway, tell me who this person is, and I’ll continue it with them. For a moment or two yesterday, I thought that guy might be Fred. Then I thought it might be the guy who never contacted me. By then, I’d realized that I couldn’t take this post down. That’s another regret, but regrets are okay, as long as they’re distilled into something you can act on. That’s where I’m at. I’ve certainly learned something here, and I’m sure I don’t have much choice about whatever I’m about to learn.

But please… tell me who the person is. One name. Have him tell me that he will see it through, give me an idea of when he’ll get back to me, and then I’ll shut up.

Well, really, that’s not true. I’m realizing that I probably should’ve started with my kids’ Elementary, but that wasn’t even an option until Monday, and I was pretty fried, by then.

Oh, did I mention that I’m apt to ramble?

Date: May 23, 2012 06:25AM

I REALLY hope that my Wife forgives me for this, and that there's something to come home to, but....

I realized that it was silly to worry about things "going public." We're already there.

If anyone needs proof that I'm "sincere", they can look me up as "Strydyr," on Facebook.

The photo is of me, not my kids. I had a family photo up until a minute ago.

To my loved ones, and the team in Iowa: ROCK ON!

Date: May 23, 2012 06:34AM

I just realized... that photo is going to convince everyone I have some kind of "cop complex."

I dunno, maybe. If so, aren't you glad that I'm making noise, now?

I was mixed in with your kids, Saturday morning!

Date: May 23, 2012 06:37AM

Hehehe....

I told you all, from the very beginning, that I was willing to accept my own insanity as the final verdict.

I just needed a pro to tell me.

and dont worry...........everyone here will tell ya I'm a pro at this..........
Date: May 23, 2012 06:52AM

ok, yr crazy LoLz

and I dont think you have a cop complex

however, yr photo has give ME a "cop complex" ROWR!

are you even from here? I'm guessing you are not based on the fact you think ppl are gonna call you back on this LoLz

one more piece of wisdom that I'll share that you havent caught onto yet: THE PEOPLE YOU ARE TRYING TO CONTACT ABOUT THIS (what even you admit is a) NON-EVENT HAVE OTHER MORE IMPORTANT PRESSING ISSUES TO FIX!

Can't really focus on helping you discuss what sort of oil you should use in yr car when I'm busy performing open heart surgery, you dig what I'm saying?

Relax, it's over - have a brew. Next time just dance with the guy yrself and start a conversation with him instead of call the cops.

..................wow.............maybe this IS more like the Crosspointe Creeper than I thought LoLz

Posted by: ProudAmerican ()
Date: May 23, 2012 07:00AM

When one sees someone acting this erratically, it's one's responsibility to alert authorities. OP did exactly what she should have done. This was not 'happy' behavior; this was unbalanced behavior, plain and simple. You all should be glad there are citizens out there like OP who are willing to put themselves out to look after the welfare of our citizens. The same people who are giving OP crap would not hesitate to use the same resources had they, themselves felt in danger. That's utter hypocrisy.

Posted by: ProudAmerican ()
Date: May 23, 2012 07:03AM

How many of the people on the streets who end up killing/raping others are repeat offenders? How many of those people were determined to no longer be a threat to others?

Posted by: regular guy ()
Date: May 23, 2012 07:21AM

ProudAmerican Wrote:
> How many of the people on the streets who end up
> killing/raping others are repeat offenders? How
> many of those people were determined to no longer
> be a threat to others?

So far the OP has said he is crazy, has threatened to hang himself and burn his house down due to this, and has posted a couple times of unspecified "further action". I think the cops need to maybe take a look at the OP, not the dancing guy.

Posted by: mental health alert ()
Date: May 23, 2012 07:57AM

The OP really needs a mental health cheack-up. He has lost it.

Date: May 23, 2012 08:43AM

No… I’m at home.  My phone is actually off the hook right now.

My cell number is XXXX

Thanks for your attention,
XXXX

-------------

Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:32 AM

XXXX,

Are you in Iowa with your family?

Janet Molan

---------

Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:56 AM
To: Remaili, Leila
Cc: Molan, Janet A; Jacobs, Jennifer A.

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/913359/913831.html

This isn’t spam.

My name is XXXX.  I’m the Father of two at XXXX.

Please DO NOT reveal my name publicly. 

Honestly, I’m more than a bit nervous, and I might not be doing this at all if my two children weren’t out of town.

THANK YOU!
XXXX

Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: May 23, 2012 10:05AM

In general, it is considered very bad form (a violation of "netiquette") to reveal private communications without permission of the originator - regardless if the originator is a public or private person.

Posted by: B8 ()
Date: May 23, 2012 10:56AM

I was at this event last Sat. with my children as well. I didn't see this gentleman previously (e.g., parking lot encounter prior to the show) but my spouse and I gave eachother "huh?" looks when he showed up on stage at the end of the performance with the Malcolm X dancers, dancing, clearly out of place. No one seemed alarmed, and honestly, until I stumbled over this thread this a.m., I didn't give it another thought. I do thank you for your vigilance and concern. I don't think you're crazy. I suggest you contact, if you haven't already, the Director of the FFX County Office for Children, Anne-Marie Twohie and the Director of the county's SACC Program, Anne Goldstein, with your concerns and a request for an explanation/preventive plan for future events. I'd apprecaite knowing if they don't respond. SACC has a Parent Advisory Council that this issue can be brought to by the co-chairs (for addressing/explanation by SACC/Office for Children management) as well.

Date: May 23, 2012 11:42AM

Yup, Olde Farte...

Why don't I put the safety of my kids at the mercy of "netiquette," so that the people who are paid to look at this don't get embarrassed?

At this point, I'm half-wondering if I can get my Wife, from Iowa, to get a sign on the news:

"Fairfax County Makes Me Dance With Erratic Strangers"

Really... I thought I was actually starting to get somewhere. My last round get a response from Janet Molan, at 8:54. It said "Thank you."

I guess I was an optimist, and I thought someone was going to contact me. Relaxing for a moment, I fell asleep, and now three more hours are gone.

Date: May 23, 2012 11:43AM

The people who're offended at me taking the State's time are REALLY going to be upset about what's coming next.

Date: May 23, 2012 11:53AM

I'm pausing.... I'm SOOO hoping someone will reach out.

This isn't like "John Q." or anything. I was in a whistleblower-type situation once, and it was one of the toughest times of my life. I'd loved the job until then, but I started spending less "remote" time, and couldn't stand what I was watching this guy do to my coworkers.

Well, by the time it was said and done, I'd been prescribed seroquel (I got off of it on day 3 because of HORRIBLE nightmares), and probably come pretty close to a nervous breakdown. Really, finding out what a "anxiety attacks" were, and delving a little deeper into Taoism probably saved my life.

So know: I didn't go into this expecting a cakewalk, though I'll admit that I never imagined it would be as tough as it's become, already.

Date: May 23, 2012 12:03PM

In the end, the outcome of all of this might please some of you....

"The local lunatic pulled his kids from SACC, and he doesn't come to these things, anymore."

I hope not. I've loved SACC. Actually, it's kept us out of bankruptcy.

Admittedly, it's going to be tough to make eye contact, ever again.

Date: May 23, 2012 12:05PM

But is SACC even aware that FCPS holds them solely responsible for security, whenever kids are in a public school building?

As much as I hate to say it, they need volunteers for something like this, if it's going to be done safely.

I call "not it." :-)

But, really:

"The guy was already dancing backstage, unknown to the staff or performers..."

Date: May 23, 2012 12:05PM

That statement gives me the creeps.

If that makes me crazy....

Date: May 23, 2012 12:15PM

I just got a call from "someone who works with Fred."

She wanted me to bring her up to speed, from scratch.

I explained that I wouldn't do that (I'm too tired to try), and that I've already explained the situation and my concerns as concisely as I'd be able to do.

I asked her to call me back, once she'd "read up on it."

Pages: 1234AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.