HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Breaking the Cycle of Poverty in Southeast Fairfax County. How do you do that?
Posted by: Oliver Twist ()
Date: March 30, 2012 05:28PM

Breaking the Cycle of Poverty in Southeast Fairfax County
How do you do that?
Help Is On The Way
By Linda Patterson
http://lorton.patch.com/articles/poverty-is-real-in-southeast-fairfax-county

(*Editor's note: This is the first in a series of weekly columns by Linda Patterson on the needs of local residents experiencing hard times.)

The Lorton area is currently 3.5 percent of the population in Fairfax County. Almost 29 percent of Lorton households have a high school diploma or less, versus 22 percent for Fairfax County as a whole. This lack of education in more than a quarter of South County households means less income and struggling to make ends meet. This is where the Lorton Community Action Center steps in - when unexpected expenses stretch an already tight budget.

Since I became the LCAC Executive Director in January, I've me a lot of folks who have asked me to describe what we do. So, as part of a new weekly column with the Lorton Patch, I will talk about the needs of those we serve and the impacts on our community.

What We Do

The LCAC is a nonprofit that serves the southern portion of Fairfax County in zip codes 22079, 22122 and 22060 (Lorton, Newington and Fort Belvoir). Our goal is to break the cycle of poverty in southeast Fairfax County.

We have seven core programs:

Emergency food, clothing, household and furniture assistance
Emergency housing and utility assistance
Tutoring for elementary children
ESL classes
Pro-Bono legal services
Nutrition classes
Seasonal events (Back to School, Thanksgiving and holiday food baskets)
The LCAC was established in 1975 as the LCIC (Lorton Community Information Center), with volunteers connecting folks in Lorton with services, eliminating the barrier that is created when you are in crisis and have no idea where to turn. Over time, LCAC refined its mission and became “dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in the community through individual and family services, community programs, and partnerships with other organizations.”

Want to Help?

Here is an immediate way to assist area families: On Saturday, March 31, at the Lorton Valley Giant, a local mom and daughter are sponsoring a food drive (10am to 2pm) to benefit LCAC! Consider stopping by and purchasing some rice, canned fruit or canned mixed veggies for the more than 160 families LCAC assists each week through our pantry. I continued to be amazed at the generosity of this community. Thanks for helping our neighbors in need.
Attachments:
4a18dfd2d137a4b4d870270a983024.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Breaking the Cycle of Poverty in Southeast Fairfax County. How do you do that?
Posted by: HooLeo ()
Date: March 30, 2012 05:49PM

Depart the illegal aliens. Most of problem solved. This program only encourages them to stay.

Re: Breaking the Cycle of Poverty in Southeast Fairfax County. How do you do that?
Posted by: bingo matic ()
Date: March 30, 2012 06:15PM

HooLeo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Depart the illegal aliens. Most of problem solved.
> This program only encourages them to stay.

That is a excellent answer and correct. I wish this was a game show, and I could give you a prize. Alas, "hola la migra".

Posted by: batshitcrazy ()
Date: March 30, 2012 07:23PM

Answer is:
Attachments:
danny-trejo.jpg

Posted by: free cheese ()
Date: March 30, 2012 08:31PM

Attachments:
democrats.jpg

Posted by: dbs ()
Date: March 30, 2012 09:16PM

> Almost 29 percent of Lorton households have a high school diploma
> or less, versus 22 percent for Fairfax County as a whole.

The way you present that is flawed. If 29% of Lorton residents have a high school diploma (or less) and 22% of the rest of Fairfax have a high school diploma (or less), Lorton's doing pretty good!

However, if you present it as 29% of Lorton residents *only* have a high school diploma or less and the rest of Fairfax is at 22%, you'll see there's a difference.

And you know what that difference is? Smart people know enough not to live in Lorton.

Posted by: jackie " the joke man" martling ()
Date: March 30, 2012 09:38PM

It looks like someone put a fire out on his face with an ice pick.

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: March 30, 2012 10:43PM

Oliver Twist Wrote:
> Breaking the Cycle of Poverty in Southeast Fairfax
> County
>
>
> Want to Help?

No.

Date: March 31, 2012 05:53AM

This man will help....really. LOL.
Attachments:
gerry 2.jpg

Posted by: Obamaville ()
Date: March 31, 2012 07:38AM

Attachments:
obamaville_santorum_ad2012-wide.jpg

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: March 31, 2012 09:43AM

dbs Wrote:
> > Almost 29 percent of Lorton households have a
> high school diploma
> > or less, versus 22 percent for Fairfax County as
> a whole.
>
> The way you present that is flawed. If 29% of
> Lorton residents have a high school diploma (or
> less) and 22% of the rest of Fairfax have a high
> school diploma (or less), Lorton's doing pretty
> good!
>
> However, if you present it as 29% of Lorton
> residents *only* have a high school diploma or
> less and the rest of Fairfax is at 22%, you'll see
> there's a difference.
>
> And you know what that difference is? Smart
> people know enough not to live in Lorton.

I don't follow. It made sense the first time, and I don't think you need to add 'only'.

Posted by: Gerry Connolly ()
Date: March 31, 2012 11:35AM

We need to raise taxes and give illegals luxury housing, free food, free medical care, free education, and a generous income for life in order to break the cycle of poverty. Enslaving working Americans to serve the illegals is the only possible solution. If you agree, vote for me!

Posted by: Gerry Connolly ()
Date: March 31, 2012 11:41AM

Gerry Connolly Wrote:
> We need to raise taxes and give illegals luxury
> housing, free food, free medical care, free
> education, and a generous income for life in order
> to break the cycle of poverty. Enslaving working
> Americans to serve the illegals is the only
> possible solution. If you agree, vote for me!
Attachments:
236790.jpg

Posted by: Devil ()
Date: March 31, 2012 11:53AM

Maybe tell the lazy ass-wipes to try and get a job!!!!

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 31, 2012 12:48PM

Joking aside, a good portion of SE Fairfax is actually in Moran's district.

Date: March 31, 2012 02:46PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> Joking aside, a good portion of SE Fairfax is
> actually in Moran's district.

A very small portion. The rest is "all Gerry's". Gotta love this a hole.

Posted by: usernmae44 ()
Date: March 31, 2012 02:52PM

Southeast Fairfax
Attachments:
fell better picture.jpg

Posted by: voter me ()
Date: March 31, 2012 02:55PM

Honest Jim or Honest Gerry, six of one half dozen of another. Same ideas, tax and spend.
Attachments:
5098165169_e67bc52381.jpg

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 31, 2012 05:10PM

Sorry batshitcrazy but it looks to me like the 8th does reach down into Newington and Fort Belvoir area, although not to Lorton.

At this point the glib comment would be to say that all of those people who cut your grass or who work the counter at McDonalds or at Home Depot or at the day care facilities have to live somewhere. Many Northern Virginians have no idea how much of their lifestyle is made possible by the work of people who are making twice minimum wage or less. Those people have to live SOMEWHERE.

I do have to shake my head though at the LCAC's comments. They talk about trying to break the cycle of poverty, but it looks like most of their services are intended to help people just hang on.

Date: March 31, 2012 05:44PM

Its all good, buut either way, Moran/Connolly the same, even though I like Moran better. At least he fights other Congressmen LOL. Connolly is more of a shit head, and although I cannot stand Moran, he does do better with constituent services.

That being mostly welfare, giving out government programs that are full of waste, and spending a shitload of our $. Hard earned, by the way.

No doubt Lorton has pockets of poverty. Most areas of Fairfax, and the U.S. for that matter do. Yet compared to the rest of the world, please. Travel to the rest of the globe that 70%(it is factual), does not have running water or electricity to their house. Maybe if we could send Gerry or Jim Moran over there, they might get help. In fact, we should encourage both of them to do this as a public service.

Breaking poverty is important. This is best done through people, and faith based programs, rather than a ever growing government that is ineffective and sloth like in efficiency.

Posted by: don't blame the liberals entirely ()
Date: March 31, 2012 05:45PM

Employers should not get away with paying these substandard wages. Taxpayers (and yes, these are mostly middle class workers) should not be subsidizing these employers (which is what is going on). Republicans will never deal with this either because the 1% are getting richer because of these underpaid workers. They like their serf system.

Date: March 31, 2012 05:47PM

don't blame the liberals entirely Wrote:
> Employers should not get away with paying these
> substandard wages. Taxpayers (and yes, these are
> mostly middle class workers) should not be
> subsidizing these employers (which is what is
> going on). Republicans will never deal with this
> either because the 1% are getting richer because
> of these underpaid workers. They like their serf
> system.

Good afternoon Comrade. The serfs must work harder, as I am a guy who wears a nametag and not a suit, and I demand results.

Posted by: anneal ()
Date: March 31, 2012 07:06PM

Some of you people crack me up. You are acting like Lorton is Detroit. Median household income in Lorton is around $85,000. The U.S median is only $52,000. Route 1 is a very small part of Lorton. There are some very high end developments on the western side of Interstate 95.

Posted by: knee-grow ()
Date: March 31, 2012 07:18PM

try baltimore. you want to talk about a shit hole. It makes rt 1 look like beverly hills.

Date: March 31, 2012 07:22PM

anneal Wrote:
> Some of you people crack me up. You are acting
> like Lorton is Detroit. Median household income in
> Lorton is around $85,000. The U.S median is only
> $52,000. Route 1 is a very small part of Lorton.
> There are some very high end developments on the
> western side of Interstate 95.

True but Highland Hoods, the section 8 housing on Lewis Chapel, and Hagel Circle don't help :).

Posted by: mzBizzy ()
Date: March 31, 2012 08:22PM

the lorton east of 95 is the worst.west side isnt as bad

Posted by: dbs ()
Date: March 31, 2012 11:24PM

snowdenscold Wrote:
> dbs Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > Almost 29 percent of Lorton households have a
> > high school diploma
> > > or less, versus 22 percent for Fairfax County
> as
> > a whole.
> >
> > The way you present that is flawed. If 29% of
> > Lorton residents have a high school diploma (or
> > less) and 22% of the rest of Fairfax have a
> high
> > school diploma (or less), Lorton's doing pretty
> > good!
> >
> > However, if you present it as 29% of Lorton
> > residents *only* have a high school diploma or
> > less and the rest of Fairfax is at 22%, you'll
> see
> > there's a difference.
> >
> > And you know what that difference is? Smart
> > people know enough not to live in Lorton.
>
>
> I don't follow. It made sense the first time, and
> I don't think you need to add 'only'.

The reason *only* is needed is due to the folks having a high school diploma *and* also going on to college. They are not mutually exclusive.

I went to high school and graduated. I then went to college and graduated. I also went and got a post-grad degree. Yet I still fall in the category of having a high school diploma.

I would agree that it's semantics, but it's also incorrect. Just because you understood it doesn't mean it's not wrong. Eavn if yuo cna raed tihs sentnece dosen't maen its rihgt.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: March 31, 2012 11:48PM

dbs Wrote:
>
> The reason *only* is needed is due to the folks
> having a high school diploma *and* also going on
> to college. They are not mutually exclusive.
>
> I went to high school and graduated. I then went
> to college and graduated. I also went and got a
> post-grad degree. Yet I still fall in the
> category of having a high school diploma.
>
> I would agree that it's semantics, but it's also
> incorrect. Just because you understood it doesn't
> mean it's not wrong. Eavn if yuo cna raed tihs
> sentnece dosen't maen its rihgt.

Here is what the guy originally wrote:

Almost 29 percent of Lorton households have a high school diploma
or less, versus 22 percent for Fairfax County as a whole.

You are trying to insist that the plain language reading of "have X or less" still means that there is an implied "or more" that could be tacked on. I don't know anyone (well, I suppose besides you) who would interpret a sentence that way. "Or less" clearly denotes that what it's modifying is a cap or maximum.

If the 'or less' had not been there, I would see your point (yes, I follow your 2nd paragraph).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2012 11:51PM by snowdenscold.

Posted by: Dave Alpert ()
Date: March 31, 2012 11:58PM

Listen, us up and comers have been pushing the trash out of the desirable areas of Arlington, DC and Alexandria because we want to live there now. So suck it up and deal with them. We paid for our urban lifestyle, they can enjoy the dream of the slum suburbia.

Suck it!

Posted by: Have you noticed ()
Date: April 01, 2012 08:19AM

Gerry Connolly has "PEDOPHILE" written all over him. Jim Moran has "DRUNKEN WIFE BEATER" written all over him.

Date: April 01, 2012 08:20AM

Have you noticed Wrote:
> Gerry Connolly has "PEDOPHILE" written all over
> him. Jim Moran has "DRUNKEN WIFE BEATER" written
> all over him.

That is the best thing ever written about these two assholes! Props!!!!!!!!!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.