HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FFX Police Ford Contour/Taurus?
Posted by: Bandbo ()
Date: January 21, 2008 07:33AM

If this is a Ford Contour that sucks. Must be a rookie.
Attachments:
080120_121620.jpg
080120_121426.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FFX Police Ford Contour/Taurus?
Posted by: AlwaysAnEagle ()
Date: January 21, 2008 08:25AM

Was this taken Sunday morning on Braddock near that huge church east of Shirley Gate? I figure that they are paying FCPD overtime for the traffic control, but I think that it is a hazard to be blocking the left lane without any warning. I was on my way to Wegman's around 10:30 in the right lane and two cars in the left lane (obviously not paying attention) suddenly cut in front of me when they saw the cones.

Are there rules for this sort of thing? Does this church get special privileges which allow them to create a traffic hazard?

Posted by: give it a rest ()
Date: January 21, 2008 09:11AM

AlwaysAnEagle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was this taken Sunday morning on Braddock near
> that huge church east of Shirley Gate? I figure
> that they are paying FCPD overtime for the traffic
> control, but I think that it is a hazard to be
> blocking the left lane without any warning. I was
> on my way to Wegman's around 10:30 in the right
> lane and two cars in the left lane (obviously not
> paying attention) suddenly cut in front of me when
> they saw the cones.
>
> Are there rules for this sort of thing? Does this
> church get special privileges which allow them to
> create a traffic hazard?

NO, this isn't a traffic hazard for an ordinarily observant driver, maybe just people with their heads up their rear, especially since the damn car has flashing lights to gain your attention on a Sunday morning with light traffic as opposed to a weekday. Must we always be looking for fault for EVERYTHING the police do? Is anything good enough for you people?

The police can legally take control of any traffic lane, roadway or traffic signal. Their direction even supercedes that of any posted highway sign or signal.

I'd say the biggest hazard evidenced in these photos would be the OP driving around taking pictures with a cell phone camera while driving, but that's just me.

§ 46.2-834. Signals by law-enforcement officers and crossing guards.

A. Law-enforcement officers may assume control of traffic at any intersection, regardless of whether such intersection is controlled by lights, controlled by other traffic control devices, or uncontrolled. Whenever any law-enforcement officer so assumes control of traffic, all drivers of vehicles shall obey his signals.

B. Law-enforcement officers and uniformed school crossing guards may assume control of traffic otherwise controlled by lights, and in such event, signals by such officers and uniformed crossing guards shall take precedence over such traffic control devices.

C. Uniformed school crossing guards may control traffic at any marked school crossing, whether such crossing is at an intersection or another location. Uniformed school crossing guards who are supplied by their local school division with hand-held stop signs shall use such signs whenever controlling traffic as authorized in this subsection.

Posted by: SuperCitizen ()
Date: January 21, 2008 09:35AM

well, there was an amendment to § 46.2-834 and it states: you're a douche

Posted by: AlwaysAnEagle ()
Date: January 21, 2008 09:36AM

I understand the law, but it seems like they are doing this on behalf of and for the convenience of a private entity rather than a true public safety event. Also, I believe that the posted speed in that area is 45 or 50 and you don't get any advance warning regarding the lane closure. This is there every Sunday, so why can't the church spring for a warning sign to be placed near the light for Trinity Christian School

BTW, I was not being critical of the police officer who always does a great job keeping things flowing.

Date: January 21, 2008 09:49AM

I will add that the officer does a good job. Especially since it was a million below 0 yesterday. And, in my defense, one picture I took while stopped, the other was at 15 MPH because everyone had to merge into one lane.

And did we get any confirmation? Taurus or Contour? I was to busy not paying attention to the road and finding the capture-image button on the cell to get a good view of the badges.

Posted by: Andrea ()
Date: January 21, 2008 09:50AM

Could it be possible that he's there to direct traffic when church is finished or something? I know that at McLean Bible Church (or whatever that bigass church is on rt 7) there are always cops there having to direct traffic because of the fucking masses of people trying to push their asses out onto rt 7 at one time.

Date: January 21, 2008 10:35AM

Yes, he is there to direct traffic for Fairfax Community Church. Located on W. Bound Braddock Rd. just before Shirley Gate.

Posted by: v ()
Date: January 21, 2008 11:37AM

I'm bandbo...I take pictutes of cops with my cell phone camera instead of just driving by.

Posted by: v ()
Date: January 21, 2008 11:42AM

Oh wait, that's what fairfaxunderground was based on. I'm dumb

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: January 21, 2008 02:11PM

give it a rest Wrote:

> The police can legally take control of any traffic
> lane, roadway or traffic signal. Their direction
> even supercedes that of any posted highway sign or
> signal.

I'm pretty sure any moron with orange cones can do this. For example, St Timothy Catholic Church on Poplar Tree does this, but the guys doing it aren't in police uniforms or driving police cars. Also, construction crews all over this area do it when they're building the roach motel condos that have popped up in this area over the last 5 years.

Posted by: give it a rest ()
Date: January 21, 2008 02:39PM

trogdor! Wrote:

> I'm pretty sure any moron with orange cones can do
> this. For example, St Timothy Catholic Church on
> Poplar Tree does this, but the guys doing it
> aren't in police uniforms or driving police cars.
> Also, construction crews all over this area do it
> when they're building the roach motel condos that
> have popped up in this area over the last 5 years.

No, that is incorrect. Not just anyone can legally close a road or otherwise direct traffic. Legally, and legally being the key word, for a road crew to be out in the road they actually have to possess a land or road use authorization permit issued by the Virginia Department of Transportation.

Most road use permits only allow the crew to be in the road between the hours of 9 AM and 3 PM, unless there is an emergency roadway maintenance issue or night time paving.

If the church is doing this I highly doubt it is legal as they don't have the authority to use the road without a permit or to direct or stop traffic.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: January 21, 2008 03:40PM

I suggested that separation of church and state was in violation here at least a year ago and never got a clear and "real" answer.

I can however tell you, the gray sedan in question is a Ford Taurus

Date: January 21, 2008 04:12PM

Police help direct traffic for many large gatherings, funerals, etc… I just assume this is considered a large gathering rather than a church/state issue. Unless the police dept. does it for free and out tax dollars pay for it, then it's an issue.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 21, 2008 05:07PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
> I suggested that separation of church and state
> was in violation here at least a year ago and
> never got a clear and "real" answer.

it's really not related to what is causing the traffic, the cops are there as a safety measure. police direct traffic at the patriot center all the time and no, not just the mason cops assholes. it's the same situation as a fire, something catches on fire and they put it out whether it's a store, home, carbecue, church, empty field or a guy that set himself on fire.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: coffin ()
Date: January 21, 2008 08:25PM

They direct traffic the easy way at Mason...at least at that light at Braddock and the Sunoco station. The cop goes into that traffic light control box and must put it on manual override or something.

I got stuck there one night when there was a big show at Patriot Center...I though the damn light was stuck until I happened to see the cop poke his head up over the control box.

Posted by: n ()
Date: January 22, 2008 01:34AM

the vehicle in question is an H2 Hummer.

Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: January 22, 2008 01:26PM

The church does pay a pretty penny to FFX PD for the service, but it is also a service to prevent accidents. I believe the officer being paid is off duty and has volunteered for extra pay.

As for St. Timothy's, I believe that is a private firm with a permit that does the traffic direction.

Posted by: gesoffen ()
Date: January 22, 2008 03:36PM

POS FOrd Taurus. If it was a contour (which they stopped making about 10 years ago), then FFPD must really be scrapping the bottom of the barrel. The ford taurus is nearly the bottom, the contour was the bottom.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: January 22, 2008 03:37PM

So that begs thew question, are they paying those pretty pennies for the FCPD Officers time and services (moonlighting), or for the use of the patrol car (FFXCo. Property), or both.

Posted by: Natas ()
Date: January 22, 2008 09:00PM

Solution to the problem: Outlaw McChurches

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 22, 2008 09:10PM

Natas Wrote:
> Solution to the problem: Outlaw McChurches

that may not go over so well with some people. remember, for every social action there is an unequal and opposite overreaction.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: January 23, 2008 12:00AM

give it a rest Wrote:
>
> No, that is incorrect. Not just anyone can
> legally close a road or otherwise direct traffic.
> Legally, and legally being the key word, for a

I never said anything about it being legal.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: January 23, 2008 11:30AM

Police are in the public safety business...I have no problem with the po-po helping a church lot empty....or a shopping center at Christmas....or motorsickles for funerals. I think all that is an appropriate use of taxpayers' money.

Only thing I can think of that pisses me off is firemen panhandling!
(that was for Kobersteen! LOL)

Posted by: Kobersteen ()
Date: January 26, 2008 04:19PM

duh Wrote:
> Only thing I can think of that pisses me off is
> firemen panhandling!
> (that was for Kobersteen! LOL)

... and to think, I let this quote alone from the thread 'Tom Sarris' Orleans House- R.I.P.' from a couple weeks ago...

"I politely declined because frankly, the owner of a 57 foot vessel (me) doesn't jump at the sight of a C-note! LOL. But, I had been docking at that marina for many years and knew all the wharf rats (winos that hang around boats)...so I told Tom to hang on and I'd get somebody to help him." (From: http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/68881.html)

Again with the motor yacht/vessel! ;-)

Posted by: Bengus ()
Date: January 26, 2008 04:45PM

'Tom Sarris' Orleans House- R.I.P.

did tom sarris close? I need to get an assistant to keep me informed of the fairfax underground news.

I loved that place, all the way down to the cigarette vending machines

Date: January 26, 2008 05:03PM

Kobersteen Wrote:
> duh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Only thing I can think of that pisses me off is
> > firemen panhandling!
> > (that was for Kobersteen! LOL)
>
>
> ... and to think, I let this quote alone from the
> thread 'Tom Sarris' Orleans House- R.I.P.' from a
> couple weeks ago...
>
> "I politely declined because frankly, the owner of
> a 57 foot vessel (me) doesn't jump at the sight of
> a C-note! LOL. But, I had been docking at that
> marina for many years and knew all the wharf rats
> (winos that hang around boats)...so I told Tom to
> hang on and I'd get somebody to help him." (From:
> http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/688
> 81.html)
>
> Again with the motor yacht/vessel! ;-)

Well sorry, pal. I just wanted to relate a story about Tom Sarris...I can't help it that it involved boats!

But obviously, I am quite proud of my Connie! You might think that I'm bragging about wealth or something, but I'm not! She's a 40 year old WOODEN boat...probably worth less than a new 25 foot day cruiser costs. But my wife and I keep her in BRISTOL condition....it's a tremendous amount of work tending to those solid teak decks and all that mahogany brightwork.

And anybody that has ever heard a pair of 8V-71TI Detroit Diesels roar down the river gets hooked on it. They haven't made those 2-stroke "bumble bee" motors in many years.

Date: January 26, 2008 07:38PM

duh Wrote:

> Well sorry, pal. I just wanted to relate a story
> about Tom Sarris...I can't help it that it
> involved boats!
>
> But obviously, I am quite proud of my Connie! You
> might think that I'm bragging about wealth or
> something, but I'm not! She's a 40 year old
> WOODEN boat...probably worth less than a new 25
> foot day cruiser costs. But my wife and I keep
> her in BRISTOL condition....it's a tremendous
> amount of work tending to those solid teak decks
> and all that mahogany brightwork.

Sounds like quite a craft. You *should* be proud.

I too am proud. I am proud of my fellow members of the Fire & Rescue Department, DPSC and the apparatus shop who dig deep and look beyond themselves every Labor Day weekend to make Fairfax County one of the top couple of departments in the United States in collections for the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

See? We aren't so different after all. But, hey, isn't this a cop thread?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2008 07:40PM by Kobersteen.

Date: January 26, 2008 11:25PM

Let's turn it into a boat thread!

Here's a (much poorer) sister ship currently for sale:

http://www.everyboat.com/boat/928-1970-chris-craft-constellation

See, they don't cost much to buy...but LOTS to keep up (properly)...and golly, the price of diesel is about to KILL me! LOL

Here's some shots of a better kept 57 Connie to flip through:

http://www.grandislandmansion.com/mansion_tour/yacht/image5.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2008 11:26PM by duh.

Posted by: Lurker is incorrect ()
Date: January 27, 2008 12:06AM

Lurker.. Wrote:
" As for St. Timothy's, I believe that is a private
firm with a permit that does the traffic direction."

The Fairfax County Police Department Auxiliary Police Unit (unpaid volunteers who are trained) are the people directing traffic at St. Timothy's church. These volunteers are also members of St. Timothy's parish.

Date: January 27, 2008 12:07AM

BTW, Kobersteen, Webster defines "yacht" as "any of various recreational watercraft", (the key word being RECREATIONAL).

So, even an 8 foot pram, if rowed for pleasure, is a yacht.

Date: January 27, 2008 09:18AM

Thanks for the nautical language lesson.

"If not for the courage of the fearless crew, the Connie would be lost. The Connie would be lost..."
Attachments:
DUH.JPG

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 27, 2008 09:23AM

LOL

I could never really understand how this whole "duh vs. kobersteen" thing started?

Date: January 27, 2008 10:06AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> LOL
>
> I could never really understand how this whole
> "duh vs. kobersteen" thing started?

I don't think it is so much a 'versus' as a couple 'differences in opinion' with little jabs stuck in.

Background:
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/45154/page-1.html
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/42028/page-1.html

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: January 27, 2008 10:08AM

AlwaysAnEagle Wrote:
> I understand the law, but it seems like they are
> doing this on behalf of and for the convenience of
> a private entity rather than a true public safety
> event.

They are doing this on behalf of the church but it actually makes it safer for you. Just think of the hundereds of people leaving that church after just getting their hour of religon for the week. They are saved now, they are invincible because God is their copilot. They all want to leave the church RIGHT NOW because they have done their duty and now have places to go. And all the traffic in the 45 MPH zone (doing 60) is in their way. So by the cops being there, on the churches dime, the people at the church get out quickly so they can resume the important stuff in their lives and you don't have to worry about some head up his ass in a hurry jerk pulling out in front of you.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.