HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Boot
Posted by: duh ()
Date: August 31, 2007 06:25PM

It's that time of year again, folks. Well-paid County employees panhandling at busy intersections! I'm a member of a charitable organization...can we do this too? You bet your ass we CAN'T.

Does this piss anybody else off? They had traffic backed up at Braddock Rd (w-bound) and Rt 123 this morning. They stay out in the road after the light turns green...reducing the number of cars that get through on each cycle. Traffic isn't bad enough around here already? And what happens if one of these people gets run over? The taxpayers could end up picking up the tab for their disability for years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Boot
Posted by: G-Man ()
Date: August 31, 2007 06:49PM

On my way home I saw the blocking a turn lane with a fire engine for this crap....

EoM

Posted by: EVH ()
Date: August 31, 2007 07:22PM

duh, shut the "f" up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For what they risk, no amount of money is enough.
Wait a few minutes in traffic, pass them, and be on your way. If you still continue to complain, well, I hope your house burns down.

Date: August 31, 2007 07:42PM

EVH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> duh, shut the "f" up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> For what they risk, no amount of money is enough.
> Wait a few minutes in traffic, pass them, and be
> on your way. If you still continue to complain,
> well, I hope your house burns down.

It probably will burn down with them out panhandling instaed of doing their jobs.

Plus, they're not even trying to raise money for anything to do with firefighting. Jerry's Kids (MDA) is a mediocre charity at best...most rating orgs give it 2 out of 4 stars....only 76 cents of every dollar goes to research.

They could at least find a better charity to collect for...IF they're even collecting for a charity at all. You know dang well a portion of the boot cash is going straight into blue pockets!

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 31, 2007 08:09PM

it's a PR gig. do you think they actually raise much money? if you think so, give yourself a nice nail through the eye because they collect very little. a nice charity dinner or something with entertainment would rack in MANY times what they are collecting now without backing up traffic. one of them almost stepped in front of my car. im just glad it wasnt a cop or he would have shot me, ihop style... and get away with it. im just wondering which genius in charge came up with this idea.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: MBF ()
Date: August 31, 2007 09:35PM

They raised about $350K last year. Sure, it's not millions, but that isn't exactly a pittance.

That said, don't get me wrong, the traffic hold-up is definitely annoying.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 31, 2007 09:53PM

I saw firefighters at 5 different intersections today in various parts of the county

Edit:
While driving to Richmond and back today I passed six (6) speed traps/cops running radar on i-95. Ever seen that many before the new laws?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2007 09:55PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: Job Beams ()
Date: August 31, 2007 10:12PM

I don't wish to sound uncharitable to the volunteer fire department. I agree that the fire fighters are disturbing and disrupting traffic. I was not familiar with the "MDA," when I saw the signs today at the junction in front of the Backlick fire house. Like the two to three times a year calls allegedly from some police department to buy tickets to support the war on drugs, I thought that this appeal was to support the fireman. Someone said this was one of the richest counties with the best police and fire services. I don't understand why they are asking tax payers for donations in traffic...it very annoying.

Posted by: , ()
Date: August 31, 2007 10:53PM

Is it really that big of a deal in your pathetic life to be complaing about it online? Go up to the Fire Department and compalin yourself. OH ya thats right you don't have any balls, so you do it here. By the way, I am not a Fire Fighter. I only burn trees.

Posted by: ' ()
Date: August 31, 2007 11:00PM

EVH Wrote:
> duh, shut the "f" up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> For what they risk, no amount of money is enough.
> Wait a few minutes in traffic, pass them, and be
> on your way. If you still continue to complain,
> well, I hope your house burns down.

Seriously, if you still feel the the same way after reading this post, then you really are pathetic with no life.

Posted by: the dude ()
Date: August 31, 2007 11:10PM

Actually, last year fire fighters all over the US collected 23.5 million dollars for MDA. Fairfax is pretty much always #1

Date: August 31, 2007 11:59PM

duh....learn how to spell.

Posted by: 4wheeler ()
Date: September 01, 2007 07:49AM

Job Beams Wrote:
> I don't wish to sound uncharitable to the
> volunteer fire department.

Just because the logo on the FD unit say volunteer, does not mean the ones riding in it are.

> I don't understand why they are asking tax payers
> for donations in traffic...it very annoying.

The donations are to help raise money for MDA. You don't know anyone affected by it so you could care less.

Posted by: The Dude ()
Date: September 01, 2007 08:46AM

Funds they collect ARE NOT FOR YOUR LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT
They all go towards MDA, so stop bitching

Date: September 01, 2007 09:23AM

I don't care where the money goes...it's an abuse of power to harrass and delay motorists...just because they can. There's lots of worthy charities out there...but none that could get away with what they are doing.

A better way would be to erect signs outside every fire house urging passers-by to pull in a make a donation.

Date: September 01, 2007 09:32AM

duh Wrote:

> A better way would be to erect signs outside every
> fire house urging passers-by to pull in a make a
> donation.

So if there is a sign, would you go out of your way and donate??? Of course not.

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: September 01, 2007 09:39AM

duh Wrote:
> ...it's an abuse
> of power to harrass and delay motorists...just
> because they can.

I heard Fairfax will paint their helicopter black and hover over Duh's house...After they finish banging his wife on the fireboat.

Date: September 01, 2007 09:46AM

4wheeler Wrote:
> duh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > A better way would be to erect signs outside
> every
> > fire house urging passers-by to pull in a make
> a
> > donation.
>
>
> So if there is a sign, would you go out of your
> way and donate??? Of course not.

I do go out of my way to donate to charities of my choosing. I resent having a boot shoved in my face while I'm captive at a red light.

MDA would still have an advantage over other charities....the use of public facilities and manpower to solicit donations.

Tell me...you guys that think this is a legitimate use of County resources...when you toss cash into the boot at intersection A, what do you tell them at intersection B a half mile down the road? "Uh, I gave back there ->"

Date: September 01, 2007 09:47AM

duh Wrote:

I'm a member of a charitable
> organization...can we do this too? You bet your
> ass we CAN'T.

1) what is YOUR charitable organization??

2) Did you ask the fairfax county goverment to allow you to do that and were denied???
>

Date: September 01, 2007 09:48AM

duh Wrote:
>
> I do go out of my way to donate to charities of my
> choosing.
So basically MDA is not your charity of choice

I resent having a boot shoved in my
> face while I'm captive at a red light.
>
I've seen them walk by cars and if someone wants to donate, the aproach the vehicle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2007 09:52AM by 4wheeler.

Date: September 01, 2007 10:03AM

I'll admit they're not as aggressive as some winos I've encountered...but does that make it alright?

County employees should not be panhandling for ANY reason!

Posted by: . ()
Date: September 01, 2007 02:07PM

duh Wrote:

> County employees should not be panhandling for ANY
> reason!

Nor should they be on this website belittling the very county that gave them a career and gives them a "retirement gig" like they have done for you. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. If you don't want to donate, then don't! No one wants to hear your hateful whining.

Date: September 01, 2007 05:05PM

. Wrote:
> Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

if the same hand beats you, why wouldnt you bite it?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Zip ()
Date: September 01, 2007 05:29PM

Duh and everyone that supports him -SHUt THE F**K UP" People like you
really piss me off. This people rescue your ass when you flip your riced out honda civic or wrap it around the tree. They are the ones that have a pager glued to their hip ready to go at anytime. Emergency doesnt care whether these people are asleep with their family or at a wedding, once that pager goes off they have to go. Also while your lazy ass is in front of the computer bashing on these people. They are standing in full uniform in 100 degree weather to collect for a CHARITY. They get paid salary not hourly wage so they dont get extra income and NO they dont pocket any of your money. You should be embaressed for what you just posted and the rest of you that supported "Duh" .
I really dare you to walk up to a Firefighter or to me and say something stupid and ignorant like that.

Posted by: . ()
Date: September 01, 2007 05:54PM

Gravis Wrote:
> if the same hand beats you, why wouldnt you bite
> it?

I don't care what you beat with your hand Gravis, just don't come onto this website and tell us about it. It doesn't surprise me that you would know something about the subject, though. Just as "duh" doesn't have to donate to the the MDA if he doesn't feel like it. He is a drama queen. He creates this subject on a community message board just to berate the fire department for helping out a charity. This entire website is full of people who do nothing but bitch and complain and contribute very little to society.

Posted by: Maybe ()
Date: September 01, 2007 06:09PM

Maybe we contribute lots to society and we just come here to talk shit cause its fun.

Date: September 01, 2007 06:42PM

Maybe Wrote:
> Maybe we contribute lots to society and we just
> come here to talk shit cause its fun.

So what you are saying is that in reality you all are very caring people that respect the law and those who enforce it. Now that is funny.

Date: September 01, 2007 08:44PM

Don't judge :)

EoM

Date: September 01, 2007 08:55PM

I'm not dissing our courageous firefighters...I do admit they don't give me the warm fuzzy feeling that they apparently give some of you (maybe my mama didn't tell me the right bedtime stories?), but they do a decent job. However, panhandling just is NOT in their job descriptions!

I would be just as pissed if County teachers, cops, trashmen, sewer techs, bus drivers, building inspectors...ANY County employees were doing this!

Date: September 01, 2007 09:16PM

. Wrote:
> duh Wrote:
> -----
>
> > County employees should not be panhandling for
> ANY
> > reason!
>
> Nor should they be on this website belittling the
> very county that gave them a career and gives them
> a "retirement gig" like they have done for you.
> Don't bite the hand that feeds you. If you don't
> want to donate, then don't! No one wants to hear
> your hateful whining.

Sorry, missed this...

Hey ., the County did not "give me my career"....I am a retired physician that got tired of fighting insurance companies for payment...and tired of paying other insurance companies' astronomical malpractice premiums. I didn't (monetarily) need the hassle, so I put an end to it.

After a year or so, a "retirement gig" became necessary to stave off TERMINAL boredom! (not to mention that my bride of 36 years wanted my ass out from under foot).

My position (of 3 years now) at FCPS is one that apparently few want...there has been continuous recruitment for at least the past 20 years. While I have ZERO need for the tiny salary I'm paid,,,I very, very much enjoy the job.

However, if FCPS were ever to assign me to panhandle at an intersection...I would resign ON THE SPOT!

Date: September 01, 2007 09:29PM

duh wrote: "they do have a decent job"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the HELL do you do for a living?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?
What good have you EVER done in your life?

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: September 01, 2007 09:42PM

Gravis Wrote:
im
> just glad it wasnt a cop or he would have shot me,
> ihop style...

Ok folks time for a vote.

The problem with this would be what?

Posted by: slinkeyts ()
Date: September 01, 2007 09:48PM

KICK THEM OUT
!

Date: September 01, 2007 10:05PM

EVH Wrote:
> duh wrote: "they do have a decent job"
>
> ----------------------
>
> What the HELL do you do for a
> living?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?
> What good have you EVER done in your life?

Apparently your reading comprehension is poor.

I said what I did for a living, and I said what I do now.

What good have I done in my life? Well, there are people alive today, that wouldn't be, but for my efforts.

Just what do you suppose happens at the hospital?

Posted by: joe ()
Date: September 01, 2007 11:31PM

duh Wrote:
> Just what do you suppose happens at the hospital?

Haven't you ever watched [scrubs]?

Date: September 02, 2007 12:16AM

Richard Wrote:
> Gravis Wrote:
> > im just glad it wasnt a cop or he would have shot
> > me, > ihop style...
>
> Ok folks time for a vote.
>
> The problem with this would be what?

lol! good one.

Posted by: Rowsdower ()
Date: September 02, 2007 01:21AM

duh Wrote:
> It's that time of year again, folks. Well-paid.......

Are you serious? This has to be troll bait. How can you possibly attack a volunteer, charitable act with the argument that it will affect your commute time and your taxes? Get a soul. You have no honor. Real men sacrifice for others. Try volunteering or maybe just holding the door for someone the next time the opportunity rises. What you are actually saying with your doltish comments are that you are a boy and cannot live amongst a community of honorable men.

Date: September 02, 2007 01:53AM

Rowsdower Wrote:
> duh Wrote:
> -----
> > It's that time of year again, folks.
> Well-paid.......
>
> Are you serious? This has to be troll bait. How
> can you possibly attack a volunteer, charitable
> act with the argument that it will affect your
> commute time and your taxes? Get a soul. You
> have no honor. Real men sacrifice for others.
> Try volunteering or maybe just holding the door
> for someone the next time the opportunity rises.
> What you are actually saying with your doltish
> comments are that you are a boy and cannot live
> amongst a community of honorable men.

Serious as a heart attack.

I'll say it again, County employees have NO business panhandling in traffic for ANY, repeat ANY cause. Even if they didn't tie up traffic. Even if they weren't wasting taxpayer dollars. It would still be wrong.

I'm not just "trolling" here...I'm drafting a letter to Mrs Bulova, my Supervisor, to implore her to put a stop to this madness. If the FD has the spare time to stroll around in the median strip, panhandling for hours...they should at least pick up some trash!

Posted by: derrick ()
Date: September 02, 2007 10:24AM

duh,

i have to argue with you that county tax dollars are wasted. the fire department always responds to emergency calls promptly, and collecting for MDA has no effect on that.

i understand what you are saying about "if they have so much free time..." however the reality is that during down time at the fire house the guys spend time training, doing drills, cleaning, and other tasks associated with equipment. as a taxpayer however there is no wasting of your money. all emergency resources are still in place.

the fire chief and those before him believes that this is a good cause and along with the support of the BOS Chairman allow members of fire and rescue to collect for MDA. you have to remember the guys are volunteering to do this, they are not being forced. if you get the station by station results broken down by shift you can clearly see some shifts and members chose not to participate.

if you want trash collecting contact VDOT or asks the Sheriff to conduct a trash clean up.

Date: September 02, 2007 01:38PM

duh Wrote:
> I'll say it again, County employees have NO
> business panhandling in traffic for ANY, repeat
> ANY cause.

NOBODY has any business panhandling in traffic for that matter.

> Even if they didn't tie up traffic.
> Even if they weren't wasting taxpayer dollars. It
> would still be wrong.

i agree, there are laws against this type of stuff, right?

> I'm drafting a
> letter to Mrs Bulova, my Supervisor, to implore
> her to put a stop to this madness.

a petition maybe? i would sign it... so long as it's a real petition and not some online bullshit. oh yeah, be sure to cite some laws, im sure they are breaking plenty.

Posted by: Sharpie ()
Date: September 02, 2007 06:58PM

As one of the boot collectors and I can tell you that Duh is completely wrong. Why just today while standing in traffic, cars were crashing all around us but because one third of our force was already at the spot with the lights flashing, we were able to respond and pull the bodies from the burning vehicles immediately. In some cases, we were able to put the boots down and get our real gear off the trucks before the bodies were burned beyond recognition, saving time in retreiving dental records and all that hassle.
Sure people get distracted when they see us in the middle of the road and yes, we do cause many accidents, but we're helping Jerry's Kids dammit! And if you could just give us $.50, it'll be worth all the fatal and near fatal accidents and traffic back ups.
Thank you Jerry for entertaining us all these years with hilarious comedy and zany hijinx. I just luv it when he say's "oh lady!"

Date: September 02, 2007 07:56PM

Just grab the boot and speed away.

Posted by: gas guzzler ()
Date: September 02, 2007 09:51PM

It was almost impossible to make it from Fair Lakes to Fair Oaks Mall today because the booters had manned two or three intersections.

I did notice that at each intersection at least one fire truck was sitting there idling. How much did they pay in fuel for an all-day campaign? How about they drop the campaign and take what they would have spent on idling trucks and pay that to Jerry?

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: September 02, 2007 10:37PM

Why don't they just throw pancake breakfasts and sell tickets like they use to?

Posted by: Das ()
Date: September 02, 2007 11:53PM

Das Boot?

Posted by: redneck ()
Date: September 03, 2007 06:20AM

To the "riches county in the country"

Quite your crying and bitching.

The Fill the boot campain is for Jerry's kids. Have you ever meet any of them. Would you ever take over the duties of their parents. So their parents could have a "normal" night out or week long vacation.
Yes, the fire department personnel are out there volenteering their time. This is the only time of the most people see them (and they bitch and complain).
THE PEOLPE OF FAIRFAX COUNTY ARE SPOILED BRATS. THEY ONLY CARE FOR THEMSELVES.

So the next you ask them to come out to your kids bitrhday party. i hope tehy say no, it is a waste of tax payers money. If your cat goes up a tree and doesn't come down, SHOT IT. Have you ever seen cat bones/ skeleton in a tree, NO.

Just do as others do, just keep driving by.

Posted by: EEBS ()
Date: September 03, 2007 06:34AM

Hey there duh, you must be a total ass. All you do is complain about the Firefighters in this county. Why the hard on for the Firefighters? They do not have to go out and collect, but they do, and it is for a good cause. So come down off you high horse, and stop bitching.

Date: September 03, 2007 06:53AM

> > duh Wrote:

> My position (of 3 years now) at FCPS is one that
> apparently few want...there has been continuous
> recruitment for at least the past 20 years. While
> I have ZERO need for the tiny salary I'm paid,,,I
> very, very much enjoy the job.

No wonder you are pissed...you are the freaking janitor....

> However, if FCPS were ever to assign me to
> panhandle at an intersection...I would resign ON
> THE SPOT!

So, what you are saying is that if FCPS asks you to help make a difference on some kids lives you would turn it down and quit your job? Isn't that a little selfish??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2007 07:53AM by 4wheeler.

Posted by: Joe D ()
Date: September 03, 2007 09:23AM

You want to see what a differnce it makes.....

The following times are when Fairfax County will be presenting checks on the local MDA telethon (Channel 50):

Sunday, September 2 – 10:45 pm
Monday, September 3 - 11:40 am
Monday, September 3 – 5:30 pm

The first two presentations will be brief, but the last presentation is a longer ‘sit down’ with Local 2068 President Mike Mohler and Fire Chief Ron Mastin.

Date: September 03, 2007 10:37AM

EEBS Wrote:
> Hey there duh, you must be a total ass. All you do
> is complain about the Firefighters in this county.
> Why the hard on for the Firefighters? They do not
> have to go out and collect, but they do, and it is
> for a good cause. So come down off you high horse,
> and stop bitching.

I only have two complaints about FCFD...the boot thing and operating a fireboat in the State of Maryland....outside of that, I think they're just great.

Where'd you learn to read? I already said numerous times that I'm opposed to ANY County employees panhandlimg for ANY reason.

But obviously, many of you think I'm wrong....so if using County employees and resources to collect for a PRIVATE charity is proper...then shouldn't we (the citizenry) have some say over WHICH private charity is the beneficiary? It could be put to a vote, just like a bond issue.

Posted by: redneck ()
Date: September 03, 2007 11:16AM

When the fireboat responds to anything on the potomac it is for mutual aide. The potmomac river belongs to the state of Maryland, to the low water mark on the Virginia shore.
Due to the size of the lower potomac. it would take about an hour for a rescue boat to reach the Virginia side for ant type of rescue. That is one reason Fairfax county has a fireboat. Could you hang on to a capsized boat for an hour or longer to show up to help you?
With your statement you don't want any Fairfax County Equipment going outside it boarders. Weather it be a fireboat, helicopter, fire truck to help someone else out in a time of need. If you lived just into Prince William county near Clifton, and your house was on fire. Would you want the Clifton station to respond?
If it take you just a little longer to get where you need to go this weekend. JUST SUCK IT UP. Quit being a hurry, slow down and enjoy life.

If everyone would stop thinking for themselves for once, and pay attention to what really matters in life. It would be a better place to live.

Try going on vacation to the Amish areas in Ohio or Pa. Try driving around a horse and buggy. These "panhandlers" are nothing compared to them. So have a heart (lol), It is only one weekend a year.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 03, 2007 11:31AM

I just drove by these MDA/fireman, they're at the intersection of 123 and Great Falls St. As much as I don't like the idea of people walking out into the street collecting money, it's not that bad. They made sure they were back up on the median when the lights changed, not like some of the other 'panhandlers' I've seen around here.

Date: September 03, 2007 11:54AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> I just drove by these MDA/fireman, they're at the
> intersection of 123 and Great Falls St. As much
> as I don't like the idea of people walking out
> into the street collecting money, it's not that
> bad. They made sure they were back up on the
> median when the lights changed, not like some of
> the other 'panhandlers' I've seen around here.

I agree that they are as unobtrusive as possible...very minor delays.

They are certainly smart enough to know that if they cause massive disruptions...the game would end REAL quick.

Traffic delays aren't my major objection. What right do they have to make taxpayers feel uncomfortable about giving...what if a driver has no money...or gave at the last three intersections and is tapped out. I know there's no pressure to give...but I've also had people tell me that they ARE uncomfortable and pray for a green light so they don't have to be subjected to it.

They just have no business out there.

Date: September 03, 2007 12:11PM

taxpayers feel uncomfortable about giving

I'm 100% comfortable with totally blowing them off when they approach my car, and I don't think it's mean to do that, but I guess there are some folks that feel obligated.

They just have no business out there.

I sorta agree, I think they should just set up shop outside of grocery stores instead of an 8 lane road. I'd be more inclined to drop them some loose change on my way out of Giant; I'm definitely not diggin thru my pockets while I'm sitting at a busy intersection.

Date: September 03, 2007 01:55PM

duh Wrote:

> What right do they have to make taxpayers feel
> uncomfortable about giving...what if a driver has
> no money...or gave at the last three intersections
> and is tapped out. I know there's no pressure to
> give...but I've also had people tell me that they
> ARE uncomfortable and pray for a green light so
> they don't have to be subjected to it.

AAWWW...you are uncomfortable about giving???? How about you are a little bit honest and grow some balls and say that you don't give a shit because you are selfcentered and selfish. And what about being a taxpayer??? That's your main problem. You think because you "pay taxes" you gave enough???

Date: September 03, 2007 02:51PM

4wheeler Wrote:
> duh Wrote:
> -----
>
> > What right do they have to make taxpayers feel
> > uncomfortable about giving...what if a driver
> has
> > no money...or gave at the last three
> intersections
> > and is tapped out. I know there's no pressure
> to
> > give...but I've also had people tell me that
> they
> > ARE uncomfortable and pray for a green light so
> > they don't have to be subjected to it.
>
>
> AAWWW...you are uncomfortable about giving????
> How about you are a little bit honest and grow
> some balls and say that you don't give a shit
> because you are selfcentered and selfish. And what
> about being a taxpayer??? That's your main
> problem. You think because you "pay taxes" you
> gave enough???

No, I'm not uncomfortable in the least....I tell the boot people straight out that I don't support MDA (or any other "charity that diverts more than 10% of the gross to "fundraising and administrative" costs). MDA is 25%...including a $365K salary for it's director...and the millions they've paid Jerry Lewis for his services. (Is he even still alive?)

No, not me....there are far more worthy charities for my buck,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2007 02:58PM by duh.

Date: September 03, 2007 08:54PM

Just close your window and they wont come to your car.

Date: September 03, 2007 09:30PM

Just close your window and they wont come to your car.

Not true. They were all over McLean today, at least 4 intersections. They approached my car (window closed) at the corner of Old Dominion and Dolley Madison. She came right up to my closed window, but eventually walked on after she saw I wasn't paying attention to her.

Just ignore them if you don't like it, there's no need to get freaked out.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: September 04, 2007 12:32PM

COOL: Duh's house on fire
COOLER: Duh doused with gasoline and set aflame.

Posted by: Kobersteen ()
Date: September 04, 2007 02:47PM

(I'm starting to think that Duh knows me...)

Wow... I come back from a long weekend of Coordinating the 2007 Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Departments Labor day Weekend Fill the Boot Campaign for Muscular Dystrophy and I find this. Interesting.

First of all, thanks to the visitors, citizens and employees of Fairfax County, the Fairfax County Professional Fire Fighters & Paramedics is now the 2007 Fill the Boot champ, edging out Houston, Texas by over $5,000. Fairfax County Fire & Rescue employees, apparatus shop workers, communications professionals and the children of some members (collecting in the safety of Lake Anne Plaza), raised $536,026.32 for the Greater Washington Muscular Dystrophy Association.

I would also like to thank Chairman Connolly and the Board of Supervisors, Fire Chief Ron Mastin and Local 2068 President Mike Mohler who collaboratively make the annual Labor Day Weekend campaign possible. Without their joint efforts, we would not be so successful.

Now then, to those who have support us on here, thanks.

I understand your frustration dealing with the traffic and safety. Prior to every campaign, Fairfax County Firefighters are given very specific directions on proper collection techniques and safety rules. We are highly trained men and women who work daily in the roads, streets, highways and freeways of Fairfax County... we are well aware of the hazards and take every step we can to minimize those hazards.

To clear some misconceptions I have seen here up:
- We are primarily employees of Fairfax County Fire & Rescue. There are some volunteers in Fairfax County, but every front line Engine, Ladder, Rescue and Ambulance is staffed 24/7 by the paid personnel of Fairfax County.
- We ordinarily do not collect for anything but the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Some years back, when Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, we donated a portion of our collection to the IAFF Hurricane Relief Fund who helped IAFF members who suffered personal loss while they protected the cities, towns and counties that they are paid to protect.
- If Duh calls 911 (or someone calls on his behalf), the professionals of Fairfax County Fire & Rescue will respond quickly and treat him (and/or his 57 foot motor yacht) with respect and dignity regardless of what he calls us. ;-)

In regards to the history, or 'Why MDA'?

"A father in desperate need ran to IAFF member George
Graney's Fire Engine Company 1 in South Boston. The
man's name was Charlie Crowley, father of two crippled
sons and a high school friend of George Graney. 'They
will not live to be 21 years old,' said a somber Crowley.
Crowley's sons couldn't walk, attend school, run around,
or play games with their friends. The doctors had
diagnosed both the children with muscular dystrophy, an
incurable and dreadful disease.

Charlie Crowley needed money to take care of his sons.
IAFF Local 718 member Graney immediately rounded up
20 fire fighters and set in motion a door-to-door canister
drive that raised $5,000. Graney soon learned that there
were many families and suffering children like those of
Crowley, and Graney made it his lifetime mission to help
such families and children.

Finally, between August 9-14 1954, Graney raised his voice
at the IAFF's 22nd convention in Miami and proposed
to make MDA the International's "charity of choice. This
marked the beginning of a formal bond between the IAFF
and MDA. The IAFF has emerged as the single largest
sponsor of the MDA under the leadership of General
President Schaitberger, who is also a Vice President of
MDA."

In the 53 year partnership, the IAFF has raised over $300 million for MDA.

I also saw a mention something like 'Hell... the money just goes to the fatcat CEO.' To that, I give you this video that explains why we do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mJIYBJsAKc

I look forward to answering any more questions that anyone might have about the Fill the Boot campaign.

Kobersteen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2007 03:03PM by Kobersteen.

Posted by: psychiatrist ()
Date: September 04, 2007 06:30PM

Kobersteen,

Thank you for all your hard work! Unfortunately, you can't rationalize with irrational people, or 57 foot motor yacht skippers..good luck with the likes of some of these fine Fairfax County citizens. All these people do is complain about our police and fire departments. That is the main purpose of this website. They have absolutely nothing better to do than berate our men and women in public safety in this county. These people, like most Fairfax County citizens, have not a clue about how good they have it and how well they are served by their police and fire departments.

Most of them are spoiled rotten and, more than likely, their intense anger is fueled by jealous rage, unipolar depression or other mental illnesses. There can be no other excuse for their insane curiousity and constant worrying about the police and fire departments of Fairfax County.

Take a look at the posts on this board - nearly 75% have something to do with public safety, and most of them are negative. I can see right through the veil of their hatred. Many people in this website are in serious need of professional assistance and/or serious cognitive therapy. Several others just need a life.

On behalf of the "silent majority" of Fairfax County citizens, we thank you!

Date: September 04, 2007 06:52PM

I know my problem is mental illness for sure. I don't know what the rest of these losers excuses are.

EoM

Posted by: J. Lewis Wants No MDA ()
Date: September 05, 2007 08:25AM

Before the ceremony, please check The Smoking Gun
"Jerry Lewis's Queer Tour Rider
Comedian wants no mention of MDA in show promotion...or else"

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0904071lewis1.html

Posted by: joe d. ()
Date: September 06, 2007 08:59AM

Posted by: myspaceaddict ()
Date: September 06, 2007 10:04PM

duh Wrote:
>
> I do go out of my way to donate to charities of my
> choosing. I resent having a boot shoved in my
> face while I'm captive at a red light.
>

Shoved in your face? I think not... they always walk past the cars and if someone rolls their window down and shouts or hangs money out... then they walk up to them. I think "shoves" is a bit of an exaggeration eh? You should move to Houston, TX, they do it for 3 months straight there, Fairfax only does it for 4 days.

Oh yeah and I bet you don't go out of your way to donate to anything because you sound like an ignorant dick who doesn't care for anyone but himself...

Date: September 06, 2007 10:22PM

I give up.

Most of you have COMPLETELY missed the point. You've twisted my concern over the misuse of (ANY!!!) public employees into an attack on public safety people.

Unbelievable.

Date: September 07, 2007 09:37AM

There, there, Duh...

*I* understand your point.

Unbelievable indeed.

Posted by: Dr Z ()
Date: September 07, 2007 09:54AM

I was out on my boat last Sunday and the Fairfax Fire boat pulled alongside and they were holding out boots. I didnt have any bucks on me so I gave them a choice of some good fishing lures.

BTW if there is waste to be cut in the county budget the proposed fire dept helicopter pales when compared to the school budget. There are on average one administrative person for every two teachers in the system. Ask any teacher off the record and they can tell you how many friends and relatives of connected county officials are employed in high paying positions that do nothing but red tape the teachers to death.

Posted by: J&M ()
Date: September 07, 2007 11:52AM

Wow. For being rated the richest county in the country, there are a whole bunch of uncharitable residents. Do you even realize the difference 50 cents a person could make in childrens' lives? So what if traffic's a little backed up (and not for construction for once), by donating a few coins you could send a kid to a summer camp where they can just be kids, not worrying about MD or anything. The money also goes towards research to eliminate neuromuscular disease. That sounds like a good plan to me. As for "firefighters not doing their job", it may not be in the job description but aren't robots. They do have hearts and care about people. They'll drop everything the moment their pager goes off and rescue whoever's in trouble, even if the person in trouble is one of the whiners off of this site. They don't care who you are, they'll help you. And maybe look at it this way, they help people from fire, falls, etc everyday, why not help people with muscular dystrophy once a year?

Posted by: V.Evans ()
Date: September 07, 2007 12:37PM

Well said J&M! Some people are just to caught up in there own little pathetic insignificant world and the "what can you do for ME" syndrome to take the time to care until....it's one of their family members. What is wrong with people helping people?

Posted by: C. Montgomery Burns ()
Date: September 07, 2007 12:58PM

Release the hounds.

Posted by: , ()
Date: September 07, 2007 01:01PM

J&M Wrote:
> Wow. For being rated the richest county in the
> country, there are a whole bunch of uncharitable
> residents.

Sorry Im not as rich as you are you ignorant peon. Not everybody in the county has a pile of cash laying around like some of you. If you have some much money why dont you donate more and stop complaining about everyone else giving.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: September 07, 2007 01:03PM

J&M Wrote:
> They don't care who
> you are, they'll help you. And maybe look at it
> this way, they help people from fire, falls, etc
> everyday, why not help people with muscular
> dystrophy once a year?

These aren't anti-fire-department criticisms here, so don't try to turn it into that. The issue is impact on traffic and the safety of the firemen. Collecting money for a cause isn't wrong, just don't do it while standing in the road. Your tune would change if you opened up this "privilege" to every worthy charity in the country.

Posted by: J&M ()
Date: September 07, 2007 01:48PM

, Wrote:

> Sorry Im not as rich as you are you ignorant peon.
> Not everybody in the county has a pile of cash
> laying around like some of you. If you have some
> much money why dont you donate more and stop
> complaining about everyone else giving.

Yeah, not everyone in the county does have a pile of cash, including me. The difference is, even with a low income, I can recognize a good cause and people in need of help. I may not have much to donate, but damnit I will and do. And its not like they're asking for $10,000 a person, just a few cents. If you don't like donating, fine, don't, but don't bitch about the process over the internet. This won't help with anything. So there may a few minor setbacks, but hey, it works. Over $536,000 was raised. If any of you have a better idea of raising money, by all means, share your ideas and I'm sure the FD will take it into consideration. As for the traffic and safety of the Firefighters, I'm sure they know not to stand in front of a moving vehicle. Also, have you seen all the construction around here? Traffic is a mess no matter what. At least this event only goes on for 4 days as opposed to months and months. Plus, summer's over, school's starting up and people are going back to work, did we take that into consideration before blaming all of our traffic problems on the firefighters?

-ignorant peon

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: September 07, 2007 02:47PM

DAS BOOT ICHT IENEN FILTHZY AMERIKANER KOMERADE!

Date: September 08, 2007 10:19PM

Kobersteen Wrote:
> There, there, Duh...
>
> *I* understand your point.
>
> Unbelievable indeed.

At first I was going to chide you for patronizing me...someone with degrees far surpassing your own. But then I read that you're spokesman for the "firefighters union"...I had no idea there was such a thing!

You got balls, man....representing public employees in a right-to-work state! LOL And guys/gals that are making many times the salary they could make in the private sector with their high school educations and GEDs, no less!

Are you guys going on strike any time soon? How ridiculous...hey, I suggest you Google "PATCO" before you strike....those Controllers were WAY harder to replace than firefighters would be and look what happened.

But, if you strike anyway....could you schedule it for next Labor Day weekend? That way, I'll not have to post another thread about THE BOOT! LOL

Posted by: / ()
Date: September 08, 2007 10:33PM

duh Wrote:
> At first I was going to chide you for patronizing
> me...someone with degrees far surpassing your own.
> But then I read that you're spokesman for the
> "firefighters union"...I had no idea there was
> such a thing!
>
> You got balls, man....representing public
> employees in a right-to-work state! LOL And
> guys/gals that are making many times the salary
> they could make in the private sector with their
> high school educations and GEDs, no less!
>
> Are you guys going on strike any time soon? How
> ridiculous...hey, I suggest you Google "PATCO"
> before you strike....those Controllers were WAY
> harder to replace than firefighters would be and
> look what happened.
>
> But, if you strike anyway....could you schedule it
> for next Labor Day weekend? That way, I'll not
> have to post another thread about THE BOOT! LOL

Got a pretty high opinion of yourself, jackass? You are, without a doubt, the biggest asshole on this website. Some of these other people cannot help themselves, but YOU, who claim to be a retired doctor, should be ashamed of yourself for your self-important rants and racist comments. Now you sink to a new class of filth by harassing the firefighters for collecting for MD, a bonafide medical condition! You are a disgrace. Grow up, doctor.

Date: September 09, 2007 12:17AM

A bigger asshole than Gravis? I'm honored!

Asshole or not, I was just floored by this firefighter union thing...it MUST be a joke! It must just be a fellowship thing....a place to get drunk. Like the FOP or that place at Seven Corners where the cops get blasted and roar out of in their POVs, drunk as monkeys....jus' because they can.

Posted by: johnson ()
Date: September 09, 2007 12:25AM

duh, there is no firehouse bar. the fairfax county firefighters and paramedic, local 2068 of the international association of firefigthers is an organization that provides support for members. Membership is voluntary, and provides benefits such as life and disability insurance, assistance with human resources and promotional issues and provides advice and guidance to the fire and rescue department from the point of view of the members. in addition the union also supports politicians during elections and lobbies the board of supervisors to benefit its membership.

since virginia is a right to work state there is no barganing agreement and being the county for several years i have never even heard someone mention strike, so im not sure where you are coming from.

the police also have union that does that same thing.

oh and by the way duh i think you would be suprised about the huge number of firefighters and police officers in fairfax county that possess 4 year degrees and even higher. are you perhaps so bitter because you had some trouble on the police/fire written test? or was it the physical that got you? perhaps you should leave your public safety concerns to the professionals and instead worry about your homeowners association, golf green fees, who your wife may be sleeping with, and maybe perhaps hitting the gym a bit so next time you can pass the physical and join us.

Posted by: Dr Z ()
Date: September 09, 2007 01:02AM

There is a bill in congress that will allow Virginia and states like it to permit police officer and fire fighters to unionize. At present it will allow bargaining but not the right to strike nor the right to binding arbitration.

Date: September 09, 2007 01:58AM

johnson Wrote:
> duh, there is no firehouse bar. the fairfax county
> firefighters and paramedic, local 2068 of the
> international association of firefigthers is an
> organization that provides support for members.
> Membership is voluntary, and provides benefits
> such as life and disability insurance, assistance
> with human resources and promotional issues and
> provides advice and guidance to the fire and
> rescue department from the point of view of the
> members. in addition the union also supports
> politicians during elections and lobbies the board
> of supervisors to benefit its membership.
>
> since virginia is a right to work state there is
> no barganing agreement and being the county for
> several years i have never even heard someone
> mention strike, so im not sure where you are
> coming from.
>
> the police also have union that does that same
> thing.
>
> oh and by the way duh i think you would be
> suprised about the huge number of firefighters and
> police officers in fairfax county that possess 4
> year degrees and even higher. are you perhaps so
> bitter because you had some trouble on the
> police/fire written test? or was it the physical
> that got you? perhaps you should leave your public
> safety concerns to the professionals and instead
> worry about your homeowners association, golf
> green fees, who your wife may be sleeping with,
> and maybe perhaps hitting the gym a bit so next
> time you can pass the physical and join us.

No johnson, I never applied to be a police or fireman...I had my sights set much higher. Nor, do I, at age 55, think I ever will! (but I bet I could pass the physical!). As for your other concerns...I don't play golf...HOAs are for the little people...and the wife and I have an "agreement" about certain things! LOL

Okay, I think I understand about the union thing....Koberstein runs sort of a firepersons' benevolent society kind of thing? That's very nice. Sorry for the over-reaction....but when I hear the word union....I think of, you know...United Mine Workers...UAW...APA. I guess that sort of thing wouldn't work in your business anyway...not when the job is something that near anybody can do. Strikes are all about "leverage", you know.

Lest you think I'm anti-public servant...I'm NOT. Years ago, I rented a room in my basement to a young Virginia State Trooper. This fellow was the epitome of public service...a straight arrow that was absolutely incorruptable. He was your worst nightmare...he didn't care what kind of badge was flipped at him...if you were wrong, you were going to jail. He ended a few FCPD careers. A guy with very rare integrity. Don't worry, he's long gone...transferred back to SW Virginia, his home. I wish we had more like him.

Date: September 09, 2007 05:07AM

duh Wrote:
> He ended a few FCPD careers. A guy with
> very rare integrity. Don't worry, he's long
> gone...transferred back to SW Virginia, his home.
> I wish we had more like him.

see... stuff like this is why we need human cloning! jokes aside, we do need more cops like him.

Posted by: Job Beams ()
Date: September 09, 2007 07:05AM

duh makes a good point

charity IS good and it is important to our society

BUT I resent the amount of appeals I receive from many of the national organizations, to include the two or three telephone solicitations yearly from the alleged Fairfax county police--I say this 'cause frequently the caller's accent causes concern

Posted by: Joe D ()
Date: September 09, 2007 03:06PM

Guess you went in the former FOP in seven corners,which by the way has long been gone, when it was Ichabod's?

Posted by: Joe D. ()
Date: September 09, 2007 03:08PM

Joe D Wrote:
> Guess you went in the former FOP in seven
> corners,which by the way has long been gone, when
> it was Ichabod's?

That is for duh

Posted by: kelly! ()
Date: September 09, 2007 03:14PM

at age 55, think I ever will! (but I bet I could pass the physical!). \

duh, for shits and grins why don't you go out and give the physical agilities test a try?

Posted by: Larry ()
Date: September 09, 2007 04:00PM

duh said:

" I never applied to be a police or fireman...I had my sights set much higher."

" guess that sort of thing wouldn't work in your business anyway...not when the job is something that near anybody can do."

"me...someone with degrees far surpassing your own"

You are a pompous jerk. You should take your advanced degrees and stick them up your ass. If being a fireman or a cop is "something that near anybody can do" why don't you apply and see how well you would fare?

Date: September 10, 2007 07:00AM

duh wrote: "You got balls, man....representing public employees in a right-to-work state!"

How does representing employees in a right to work state mean that I "got balls"? Do they not deserve representation?

duh also wrote: "Are you guys going on strike any time soon?"

No. That would be counterproductive to our mission as firefighters. There are many other tools that Unions have then the picket line.

duh then wrote: "But, if you strike anyway....could you schedule it for next Labor Day weekend? That way, I'll not have to post another thread about THE BOOT!"

Fill the Boot has been going on in Fairfax County for around 28 years and nationwide for 53 years. Something tells me that it will be going on long after you head off into the sunset in your 57 foot motor yacht.

duh went on to say: "Okay, I think I understand about the union thing....Koberstein runs sort of a firepersons' benevolent society kind of thing? That's very nice. Sorry for the over-reaction....but when I hear the word union....I think of, you know...United Mine Workers...UAW...APA."

Nope. Full labor union. We are Local 2068 of the International Association of Fire Fighters (www.iaff.org). Sorry to disappoint you.

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: September 12, 2007 07:20AM

I don't like them begging for money either, but I must say they did with style this year. I never saw any of the men and women approach a car that wasn't indicating they would give. They didn't make me feel guilty or anything when I didn't give. There were no negative looks or persistent waving the boot at me.

As for the trucks continually running, it's so that if they got a call, they could leave faster. Getting one of those rigs started takes more than it does for a little camry.

But I think instead of whining about it here, you should continue your campaign against such actions with not only Bulova, but get all the board and the chairman as well, and you should write to the fire chief, both at your local station and whoever it is that heads up the whole division. One letter to one measly supervisor isn't likely to amount to anything.

Date: September 12, 2007 08:48AM

That would never happen. It would take to much effort to actually do something about it. Think about it, they would actually get off their very busy lives to contact the Board of Supervisor and the Fire Chief. Too inconvinient. It's better to whine and bitch in an online forum.

Posted by: myspaceaddict ()
Date: September 12, 2007 06:50PM

^ tehehe :-p

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: September 25, 2007 09:18AM

Just came across this, explains fill the boot, includes Kobersteen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mJIYBJsAKc

Posted by: eccentricldy ()
Date: September 25, 2007 06:45PM

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with "duh" pretty much 100% about THIS subject.

Posted by: The Boot. ()
Date: August 29, 2019 09:15PM

The Bump.
Attachments:
IMG_4472.JPG

Posted by: Mike hunttt ()
Date: August 31, 2019 07:05AM

All the millions...probably billions over the 50 or 60 years and still no cure for M/D

Posted by: broken 2068 ()
Date: September 02, 2019 01:27PM

IAFF states they have 316000 X$100.00 from each member = $31,600.000. Don't ask me for any money. I go out of my way to piss them off. Ask them what volunteer fire dept they are collecting for. IAFF hates volunteers.

Posted by: Alfred E. ()
Date: September 02, 2019 06:03PM

I love the boot and pointless traffic roundabouts.

Posted by: Get a job ()
Date: September 03, 2019 11:57AM

Don't give if you don't like it. I don't mind the fire fighters asking for a contribution it's the bums that I don't like especally the one that brings his dog with him. Or the bums on their smart phones or smoking 5 dollar a pack cigs. Fuck them,if you can afford all that stuff quit begging. I will be damned if you get a single cent from me.

Posted by: found out ()
Date: September 04, 2019 11:13AM

FXCO FF raised $456,000. How much of the total money collected is actually donated to MDA? if there are 2000 members of the fire dept union and each donated $20 a month for a payroll deduction they would have raised $480,000. Disappointed
to say the least.

Posted by: Fairfax Resident A1 ()
Date: September 04, 2019 11:19AM

Won't give them a penny. Nope. No way.
We are taxed enough by Fairfax County for all the illegals in our school system.

Take a drive by ROcky RUN Jr. High and see where all your tax dollars are going for all the over crowded families with kids in our school system. Free lunches.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.