HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fun jobs around here where you will actually earn enough to pay the bills in overpriced inflated Fairfax County?
Posted by: Slacker ()
Date: September 27, 2011 05:43PM

Give me some examples of some fun jobs around here where you will actually earn enough to pay the bills in this overpriced inflated county.

Do not reply with some Northrop Grumman or some Booz Allen Hamilton bullshit!!!!!

I am talking about fun jobs. A job where you will wake up in the morning and actually look forward to going to it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fun jobs around here where you will actually earn enough to pay the bills in overpriced inflated Fairfax County?
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: September 27, 2011 06:01PM

Illegal immigrant.

The day is always fun as you stand at 7-11 (your employment office) and get new tasks with each day.

Perks include:

-Tax free income

-Free medical care for whole family

-In state tuition for college bound niños.

Re: Fun jobs around here where you will actually earn enough to pay the bills in overpriced inflated Fairfax County?
Posted by: Live Moderately ()
Date: September 27, 2011 06:05PM

If you live a more moderate lifestyle and don't feel as though you have to keep up with others, you'll feel much happier regardless of where you work or what you do.

Date: September 27, 2011 06:24PM

washington-wizards-952.gifwashington_nationals_logo-9726.gif4e4b7efb7434316457.jpgwashington_redskins-spear-1024x768.jpg

A good friend of mine suggested playing for one of these teams even if it meant for me to swallow my pride by sitting on the bench for an entire game.

What is the average salary of a bench warmer?

Posted by: herecomesaregular ()
Date: September 27, 2011 06:53PM

awww how cute, the high schooler trolls are growing up.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: September 27, 2011 07:27PM

Slacker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Give me some examples of some fun jobs around here
> where you will actually earn enough to pay the
> bills in this overpriced inflated county.

I'd bet just about any analyst job internal to the NRO would be way cool - those who get to program image understanding software inside there are probaly eager to get to work on a daily basis. I wouldn't mind getting back to my AI/Image Processing background by working there - within walking distance, too.

However, the above is tpyed as an outsider with only a slight glimmer of knowledge about what goes on behind those blue walls.

[it used to be that even the name of the organization was classified. I used to go for long walks past where they built it before/during the time they were building it - the Rockwell sign outside was funny - wish I had taken a photo but had no idea it would have been interesting. Another "company" is building a massive complex next door right now - from the looks of it they have imported and HOUSED workers on-site - bet ya they all have really high clearances]

Date: September 27, 2011 07:37PM

Live Moderately Wrote:
> If you live a more moderate lifestyle and don't
> feel as though you have to keep up with others,
> you'll feel much happier regardless of where you
> work or what you do.

If will never consider Northrop Grumman or Booz Allen Hamilton in my job search.

If I ever do well then you can either stab me, tie me up to a tree and let FCPS 3rd graders throw pies at my face or shoot me with paint balls

Posted by: JawBuster ()
Date: September 27, 2011 07:44PM

Slacker Wrote:
> I will never consider Northrop Grumman or Booz
> Allen Hamilton in my job search.

Why won't you?

Posted by: DJ Magik ()
Date: September 27, 2011 07:53PM

They're looking for Brett Michaels look alike to DJ at some area strip joints. The requirements are to wear Ed Hardy and D&Get knock offs, drive an old Mercedes and have no problem shoving plants up your butt.

Posted by: Live Moderately ()
Date: September 27, 2011 08:04PM

Slacker Wrote:
>
> If will never consider Northrop Grumman or Booz
> Allen Hamilton in my job search.
>
> If I ever do well then you can either stab me, tie
> me up to a tree and let FCPS 3rd graders throw
> pies at my face or shoot me with paint balls

At BAH, you'd have to consider yourself the whore of whores. You'd have to have that "look" - a fresh suit, fresh pressed shirt and tie. Oh, and only being 25 but having a BMW isn't bad for the part, either.

Now, you're probably wondering about the "whoring" part. Well, that will happen when you get assigned to your client(s). You'll be out there working with your clients and presenting them will all kinds of graphs and Power Point presentations on how to make their processes more efficient. You'll have to practice these presentations to the point of making you sick - because you'll have to convince the customer 100% that what you are presenting to them is the God's honest truth. Oh, and for the 2nd part of the whoring, BAH will assign a "bill rate" of $369.00 per hour to farm you out to these companies and for all of your "efforts" you should see about $48.00 - $52.00 per hour.

Have I convinced you yet to go for it?

Date: September 27, 2011 08:12PM

> ...BAH will assign a "bill rate" of $369.00 per hour to farm you out to these
> companies and for all of your "efforts" you should see about $48.00 - $52.00 per
> hour.

That is too close to the truth for comfort - I've worked alongside complete know-nothings being billed by their also-Big-Company at something like three times my billing rate (I was a contractor, too) yet making one-fifth (at most) of what I was making.

But the also-Big-Company was a fave of the contractee company because they were - you know - Big-Company with Big Reputation. The poor worker knew he was over his head and never should have been assigned to the contractee - after half a year he was gone.

Posted by: CERTenly45689 ()
Date: September 27, 2011 08:17PM

You cans work at fire department and play with hoses.

Posted by: FUH Q ()
Date: September 27, 2011 08:28PM

Live Moderately Wrote:
> Slacker Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > If will never consider Northrop Grumman or Booz
> > Allen Hamilton in my job search.
> >
> > If I ever do well then you can either stab me,
> tie
> > me up to a tree and let FCPS 3rd graders throw
> > pies at my face or shoot me with paint balls
>
> At BAH, you'd have to consider yourself the whore
> of whores. You'd have to have that "look" - a
> fresh suit, fresh pressed shirt and tie. Oh, and
> only being 25 but having a BMW isn't bad for the
> part, either.
>
> Now, you're probably wondering about the "whoring"
> part. Well, that will happen when you get
> assigned to your client(s). You'll be out there
> working with your clients and presenting them will
> all kinds of graphs and Power Point presentations
> on how to make their processes more efficient.
> You'll have to practice these presentations to the
> point of making you sick - because you'll have to
> convince the customer 100% that what you are
> presenting to them is the God's honest truth. Oh,
> and for the 2nd part of the whoring, BAH will
> assign a "bill rate" of $369.00 per hour to farm
> you out to these companies and for all of your
> "efforts" you should see about $48.00 - $52.00 per
> hour.
>
> Have I convinced you yet to go for it?

Arvid.jpg

This thread was supposed to be about having fun.

How in the fuck are clients, graphs and power point presentations supposed to be fun?

I would rather whore myself to gay men over on Craigslist or Backpage.

Posted by: h8 nova ()
Date: September 27, 2011 08:44PM

Yeah, A power suit, bullshit BMW, and being a common northern va fake asshhole, does not sound like fun...Damn the common Nova asshole is every where..

Posted by: Bye Bye NOVA ()
Date: September 27, 2011 08:59PM

u-haul2.jpg

Posted by: Contractor ()
Date: September 27, 2011 10:00PM

The worst part is working at BAH or elsewhere (in my experience, BAH's work is terrible) is working with the feds who have no business being in their position. The person I "support" as a contractor is clueless, yet is supposed to be managing a program where we focus on ensuring compliance with laws. So I keep informing them of things, and sometimes they appreciate it, and sometimes feel threatened. It is really frustrating. I'm just trying to do my job and I get to deal with the incompetent dramatic who will never get fired.

I'm switching to fed as soon as I finally get through the fish in a barrel hiring process. I've had one instance where I got an interview. I was selected for the position only to have the guy's choice be denied because he "needed" to hire a veteran instead who apparently had no business in the position. So the guy just pulled the whole position and contracted it out. I wasn't leaving my current gig to contract somewhere else. I want the same security and lack of accountability the people I work with everyday get.

Posted by: headhunter ()
Date: September 27, 2011 10:16PM

Dude - Insurance Investigator. You get to stalk people and photograph them doing shit they claim they're too injured to do. Sometimes you even get to stalk hotties. Good luck!

Posted by: Why Not? ()
Date: September 27, 2011 10:24PM

headhunter Wrote:
> Dude - Insurance Investigator. You get to stalk
> people and photograph them doing shit they claim
> they're too injured to do. Sometimes you even get
> to stalk hotties. Good luck!

Following a bunch of fat guys around Mansassas in their trucks because they're on a workman's comp leave isn't my idea of fun. I'll bet the changes of following a hottie is about 99 to 1. That's not enough to keep me interested.

I think being a private investigator would be much better. If you get hired to catch a spouse who's cheating, you'll either have a chance at spotting a hot wife who's cheating or a hot woman with the wife's husband. The odds of following hot women are much greater in that role. Plus, I'd think you really wouldn't have to shower or shave for the role. Just roll out of bed in the morning, put on a semi-clean Hawaiian shirt and head to work.

Date: September 28, 2011 12:02PM

Actual fun jobs in this area that don't require a suit or sitting in a cubicle:

* work at a skating rink. If you can skate, you could get a job as a rink guard . If you know your equipment, you could get a job in the shop. If not, there's always the snack bar or front desk or party helper. There's Ashburn Ice House, SkateQuest Reston, and also the just-rebuilt, reopening-now Prince William Ice Arena if you don't mind driving. I saw that SkateQuest Reston is looking for a Zamboni driver. Can't get a much more fun job than that!

* work at a lasertag place. There are at least three if not four in this immediate area. You hang out, play/fix the video games, go over the safety spiel, check the vests/lasertag guns, etc.. You get tipped really well if you help at parties and are nice to the kids AND the parents, even the ones you wouldn't normally talk to or who aren't "hot women."

* if you don't mind heights, can be careful consistently, and can keep from making snarky comments about non-hot women, you could get certified to do high ropes/challenge courses and work at an indoor rock climbing center (there's one in Sterling) or at an outdoor place (there are a few in the greater DC area). I hear REI and the LL Bean at Tysons also have people on staff who lead outdoor adventures for locals.

As for whether any of these jobs would pay what you're looking for, possibly not. Don't really know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2011 12:03PM by longtime NoVA res.

Posted by: Welcome to Burger King. May I take your order? ()
Date: September 28, 2011 01:37PM

longtime NoVA res Wrote:
> Actual fun jobs in this area that don't require a
> suit or sitting in a cubicle:
>
> * work at a skating rink. If you can skate, you
> could get a job as a rink guard . If you know
> your equipment, you could get a job in the shop.
> If not, there's always the snack bar or front desk
> or party helper. There's Ashburn Ice House,
> SkateQuest Reston, and also the just-rebuilt,
> reopening-now Prince William Ice Arena if you
> don't mind driving. I saw that SkateQuest Reston
> is looking for a Zamboni driver. Can't get a much
> more fun job than that!
>
> * work at a lasertag place. There are at least
> three if not four in this immediate area. You
> hang out, play/fix the video games, go over the
> safety spiel, check the vests/lasertag guns, etc..
> You get tipped really well if you help at parties
> and are nice to the kids AND the parents, even the
> ones you wouldn't normally talk to or who aren't
> "hot women."
>
> * if you don't mind heights, can be careful
> consistently, and can keep from making snarky
> comments about non-hot women, you could get
> certified to do high ropes/challenge courses and
> work at an indoor rock climbing center (there's
> one in Sterling) or at an outdoor place (there are
> a few in the greater DC area). I hear REI and the
> LL Bean at Tysons also have people on staff who
> lead outdoor adventures for locals.
>
> As for whether any of these jobs would pay what
> you're looking for, possibly not. Don't really
> know.

I do not know how much they all pay but I guarantee you it is not very much. They probably pay enough to rent out a room in a local boarding house but thats it.

Posted by: Realist ()
Date: September 28, 2011 01:53PM

Move outta FFX. Problem solved!

Posted by: Ummm... No. ()
Date: September 28, 2011 05:22PM

Realist Wrote:
> Move outta FFX. Problem solved!

Why should somebody be forced to move away from where they were born and raised?

Posted by: Because ()
Date: September 28, 2011 07:55PM

Ummm... No. Wrote:
> Realist Wrote:
> -----
> > Move outta FFX. Problem solved!
>
> Why should somebody be forced to move away from
> where they were born and raised?

Times change dude. If I were born in the 50s, I would have stayed in Upstate NY and probably had some job related to manufacturing.

Fast forward, there are no jobs in the NE, especially not manufacturing.

Posted by: This is my future? ()
Date: September 28, 2011 09:46PM

lego_cubicle_farm.jpg

So if I decide to stay in Fairfax County this is what I have to look forward to if I want to earn enough to pay the bills?

Posted by: AflCio ()
Date: September 28, 2011 10:19PM

Card-carrying union bus driver for Metro. Earn close to six figures, get to text msg all day, run over people, and you can never be fired.

Posted by: smelly town ()
Date: September 28, 2011 10:41PM

Move to the stinkhole known as Richmond then you will really have something to bitch about

Posted by: Mrs. Robinson ()
Date: September 28, 2011 10:44PM

Ummm... No. Wrote:
> Realist Wrote:
> -----
> > Move outta FFX. Problem solved!
>
> Why should somebody be forced to move away from
> where they were born and raised?

Nobody is being forced to move away. You make your choices. And if whatever "fun jobs" (based on your idea of "fun") do not exist in FFX or thereabouts that will allow you to afford to live here, then you have some choices to make.

BTW, to the original poster, what is your idea of "fun"? Not one person who has yet responded has asked this question.

"Day trader" can be lucrative, if not volatile. But, nonetheless, fun.

"Airline pilot" might or might not be "fun", but you could afford to live here after working through the ranks.

"Entrepreneur" has worked very well for many people in a variety of business environments, in this area, and it could be fun to start and run your own business. However, posting under the moniker "Slacker" leads me to think that your definition of "fun" for a job would involve "little effort". No such animal here or elsewhere these days.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: September 29, 2011 01:15AM

MP02HWTLYTARFTIQFWF5D14QNKS11C54LMSGRRBK

Posted by: Go federal ()
Date: September 29, 2011 04:52AM

Go federal. Same deal as the Metro driver except you don't have to drive a bus. You just chat with people all day and fill out a timesheet. Pay grades are inflated around here, so you'll be a GS13 in no time.

Date: September 29, 2011 10:34AM

This is my future? Wrote:
> >
> So if I decide to stay in Fairfax County this is
> what I have to look forward to if I want to earn
> enough to pay the bills?

I was under the impression that the latest (like multi-year latest) fad is to lower the cubical walls down to desktop level.

And if you're real lucky your cubical won't have 4 walls but 3 - entrance side has no wall.

Date: September 29, 2011 10:39AM

Here ya go - your future:

42inchcube2-300x223.jpg

Posted by: Listen to Go Federal ()
Date: September 29, 2011 11:29AM

Go federal Wrote:
> Go federal. Same deal as the Metro driver except
> you don't have to drive a bus. You just chat with
> people all day and fill out a timesheet. Pay
> grades are inflated around here, so you'll be a
> GS13 in no time.

As a self-described slacker, you'll fit right in. Just put your mind on hold and collect the paycheck. Plus, you get to travel a lot and go to "training" every other week.

Posted by: Good luck ()
Date: September 29, 2011 12:51PM

Good luck getting hired to the federal job. Being qualified doesn't matter as much as being lucky enough to land in the right pile. If you aren't a veteran or a current fed, you might as well just dream about it. You won't even get an interview

Posted by: Seekkerr ()
Date: September 29, 2011 02:53PM

Good luck Wrote:
> Good luck getting hired to the federal job. Being
> qualified doesn't matter as much as being lucky
> enough to land in the right pile. If you aren't a
> veteran or a current fed, you might as well just
> dream about it. You won't even get an interview

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Posted by: Federal Job ()
Date: September 29, 2011 03:16PM

Good luck Wrote:

Why is that? What if he has specialized IT skills? Veterans have always had preference in hiring, which I believe is fair.

Posted by: Annomysoun ()
Date: September 29, 2011 03:29PM

Federal Job Wrote:
> Veterans have always had preference in hiring,
> which I believe is fair.

What makes this fair? Does a veteran invariably perform better than a non-veteran? Are great results born of capability or blind honor? The Federal Government should consist of players, not bench warmers.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: September 29, 2011 04:01PM

Good luck Wrote:

Things to remember about applying for a Federal job:

1.) If you go through USAJOBS, it can take a year to hear a response. Yes, they keep job postings that long.

2.) The Civil Service is extremely political, and quite a few positions are created for individuals. By law, all new Civil Service positions have to be posted publicly. If you go on USAJOBS, there are some very junior positions that list requirements such as individuals must have a Ph.D or must have 20+ years of experience. It's because someone is already lined up for that job, and they make daunting requirements so no one else is considered for that job.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: September 29, 2011 04:27PM

Feds don't get paid squat anyway.

Posted by: Best choice by far ()
Date: September 29, 2011 06:09PM

eesh Wrote:
> Illegal immigrant.
>
>
> The day is always fun as you stand at 7-11 (your
> employment office) and get new tasks with each
> day.
>
> Perks include:
>
>
> -Tax free income
>
> -Free medical care for whole family
>
> -In state tuition for college bound niños.

Illegal immigrant sounds like the best choice by far.
I am 6th generation Dutch-Irish so I do not know how well I am going to fit in outside of the Annandale 7-11.
:(

Posted by: It isn't working ()
Date: September 29, 2011 11:02PM

Federal Job Wrote:
> Good luck Wrote:
> -----
> > Good luck getting hired to the federal job.
> Being
> > qualified doesn't matter as much as being lucky
> > enough to land in the right pile. If you aren't
> a
> > veteran or a current fed, you might as well
> just
> > dream about it. You won't even get an interview
>
> Why is that? What if he has specialized IT skills?
> Veterans have always had preference in hiring,
> which I believe is fair.

Skills are one thing. A stacked deck is another. If all things are equal and one guy is a veteran, sure pick him, but it doesn't work that way. I work as an onsite contractor. The competent fed I work with has told me about his hiring experiences. He says he'll get a stack of resumes from HR, and 90% have no business taking the position he is trying to fill. Yet they have veterans preferences, so they made the list, and he has to interview them.

Another fed I know was hiring and picked a guy who was perfectly qualified after an interview with multiple people who all agreed. The selection got shot down because he didn't take the veteran who was also in the pile. The veteran didn't have anywhere close to the skill set the other guy did. This guy just pulled the position rather than fill it with someone he couldn't use.

Posted by: klepto ()
Date: September 30, 2011 02:12PM

If you want a fun job I hear they are hiring at the following:

Hechinger
Bradlee's
Evan's
BEST
Errols
Crown Books
Dart Drug
Memco
Ed's Bait and Tackle
Borders

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.