HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Mario's coming to Falls Church
Posted by: Jose Batista ()
Date: September 13, 2011 07:11PM

Anyone know where the new location will be?

Like the subs. Love the fries. don't like the pizza. Tastes like chef boy r dee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mario's coming to Falls Church
Posted by: Mandingo ()
Date: September 13, 2011 07:46PM

Are u referring like the on in Arlington by Balston?

Date: September 13, 2011 07:49PM

no senor pass by original Mario's in Arlington other night sign out front say coming to Falls Church

Posted by: Mandingo ()
Date: September 13, 2011 07:56PM

Jose Batista Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> no senor pass by original Mario's in Arlington
> other night sign out front say coming to Falls
> Church

Really, the Mario's have been there for ages, i cant believe its actually going to move.

Posted by: anonyyyy ()
Date: September 13, 2011 08:25PM

Hell Yes! i love that place!!!!!
it sucks driving from Oakton to Arlington to get a cheesteak fix.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 13, 2011 08:58PM

Mandingo Wrote:
>
> Really, the Mario's have been there for ages, i
> cant believe its actually going to move.

I realize it's been there since the Kennedy administration, but seriously, the food is shitty and the people who work there act like dicks. Hopefully they'll put something good in that location. Mario's blows.

Posted by: landon2 ()
Date: September 13, 2011 10:31PM

The sign says nothing about closing the Arlington location. It is way too popular too close and it's been a local landmark since the 50s. A new location is opening up in Falls Church.

But the wording on the sign is kind of vague.

Date: September 14, 2011 02:10AM

Si landon has it right not moving adding a new location in Falls Church just don't know where?

I don't think the food is shitty. good size portions for the price. some of them act like dicks and others are the friendly sort. I think lot of world like that.

Posted by: LaxWife229 ()
Date: September 14, 2011 10:41PM

I saw this yesterday. It will be in the tiny ass annoying shopping center where Velocity % and the Asian Supermarket is on the corner of Gallows and 29.

I have been going to Mario's since I was really small and my mom and dad went there before me. Very excited to only have to drive 5 minutes for a Lefty's Sub rather then fight at the Arlington Location.

Posted by: Big Fan ()
Date: September 14, 2011 10:45PM

IF they pull this off (they F'd up the franchising thing many years ago), I will be a happy camper. I grew up in Falls Church, and later lived in Arlington, and it was a real go-to place for a steak and cheese sub (no, not a Philly cheesesteak).

Now that I am further out in the 'burbs, getting down to "Arlington Town" has become nearly impossible. Merrifield is doable, unless they F-up the roads there some more.

Posted by: MAtel ()
Date: September 14, 2011 11:16PM

Attachments:
new-super-mario.jpg

Date: September 15, 2011 01:40PM

Not crazy about that location. Shopping center is a dump. Get the feeling who ever owns that land is just waiting to sell out to big developer once street construction is done.

should have gone to Yorktown Shopping Center

Posted by: Jazzy Juice ()
Date: September 15, 2011 02:09PM

Jose et. al.. actually a location in that crappy strip mall in ingenious. Once the Mosaic Distrcit goes up and that place has something that even closely resembles a night life, you can expect a lot of folks to stop by. Quite frankly, as sh8tty as Marios food is, it can actually help with the revitalization of Merrifield.

Posted by: Jeongok ()
Date: September 15, 2011 02:31PM

Yes. Lefty's subs are the best and I'll argue that Joe made the best pizza. They gotta put fresh spicy ground beef back on the menu as a pizza topping.

For subs in northern Va, nothing beats Mario's or the Italian Store in Lyon Village.

Date: September 15, 2011 02:44PM

"the Italian Store in Lyon Village"
are there italian subs as good as the ones you could get at Tony's deli on Jermantown rd in Fairfax city? not the place nowadays with same name very different ownership from the original

damn i miss that deli i'd crawl thru 5 feet of snow for one of them italian subs now i can't be bothered it so blah

please tell me Italian Store has italian subs one might want as last meal?

Date: September 15, 2011 02:49PM

The owners of the Lyon Village Italian Store should be the same as when Sandra Bullock went there as a high school kid. Some of the people behind the counter have been there since before I was in high school. Same great subs. Best Philly style Italian subs anywhere in the US except for maybe a couple places in Philadelphia.

LIberals: Why Are So Many on ANTI-DEPRESSANTS? And Should They Be Allowed to Vote?
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: September 15, 2011 02:54PM

`

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 11:33PM by WingNut.

Date: September 15, 2011 03:27PM

Mario's ain't even in the same fuckin ballpark as the Italian Store. Italian Store is good-quality subs and pizza. Good italian meats, excellent bread, good tomatoes, etc. Mario's is slapped-together, tasteless, drunk food. If you're in the mood for a bland cheesesteak with too much bread, tough, chewy meat, and peppers & onions that are basically uncooked- you will find it at Mario's.

Posted by: the noid ()
Date: September 15, 2011 03:29PM

Marios=Ellios

nuff said

Date: September 15, 2011 04:34PM

I guess you have to grow up with the food to truly appreciate it. For the pizzas the only way to order it is to ask for extra cheese on top of the toppings before they heat it up. It's the best.

Posted by: the noid ()
Date: September 15, 2011 04:35PM

Jeongok Wrote:
> I guess you have to grow up with the food to truly
> appreciate it. For the pizzas the only way to
> order it is to ask for extra cheese on top of the
> toppings before they heat it up. It's the best.

If I grew up eating shit, I don't think I would appreciate it. I am talking real literal shit, not metaphorically.

Posted by: NovaTrucker ()
Date: September 15, 2011 04:56PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Mario's ain't even in the same fuckin ballpark as
> the Italian Store. Italian Store is good-quality
> subs and pizza. Good italian meats, excellent
> bread, good tomatoes, etc. Mario's is
> slapped-together, tasteless, drunk food. If
> you're in the mood for a bland cheesesteak with
> too much bread, tough, chewy meat, and peppers &
> onions that are basically uncooked- you will find
> it at Mario's.

don't hold back, tell us how you really feel...lol
but your right about them acting like pricks...the two older guys that have been there forever tend to be decent but the other losers are dicks...especially the asswipe chic who takes your money...it's a chore for her...i caught the old guys getting mad at her too for being lame...and yeah, a sconch chewy...and the pizza is pure shit....sidenote though, they felt bad for not having my call in order ready and must of put 3 lbs of meat on that bitch...shit, i felt compelled to eat it and couldn't f-ing stand up straight after...i love it when i get a deal...even when it's gluttonous

hey meeper...do anything on week 1?

Date: September 15, 2011 05:58PM

NovaTrucker Wrote:
>
> yeah, a sconch chewy...and the pizza is pure
> shit....sidenote though, they felt bad for not
> having my call in order ready and must of put 3
> lbs of meat on that bitch...shit, i felt compelled
> to eat it and couldn't f-ing stand up straight
> after...i love it when i get a deal...even when
> it's gluttonous
>
>
> hey meeper...do anything on week 1?

lol, a lousy 9 out of 16.

That's actually cool if they loaded up your pizza cuz they screwed up the order. That's good customer service actually.

Posted by: NovaTrucker ()
Date: September 19, 2011 08:01PM

they over loaded my cheesesteak...they couldn't pay
me enough to eat that shitty pizza...

i don't do anything till week 4 or 5 through 14 but
here's a no brainer 13 week lock...NEP OV
jesus h...i'm taking that pig to the fair!

are you a resident of redskin nation?

born and bred here...

i'm praying i've scored some primo season tickets
that are quite unbelievable...lets just say the players
can definitely hear me!!

you didn't actually play all those did you?
just opinions, right?

Posted by: Local Dudette ()
Date: October 25, 2011 05:15PM

Just ate at the new Marios in Merrifield. It won't last if the pizza continues to be this bad. The worst I've ever eaten. No spices at all on it. Tomato sauce on bread. The square slice cost nearly $2. and it was only 4 inches. Too bad, it's a great location.

Posted by: super marino bros ()
Date: October 25, 2011 06:43PM

What happened to Marino's?

Posted by: Not Impressed PIZZA ()
Date: October 26, 2011 10:21AM

I tried the new Mario's in Merrifield last week. Almost $10.00 for 3 slice's (2 of them w/ 2 toppings). Cashier poored drink in a cup (Medium). The pizza is not as I remembered from the Wilson Blvd (Arl-original)location. The crust was not cripy, but rather doughy and bland. Something is just not right about the taste - in comparison to Arlington. The management at the new store Must take the employees to the original, watch & learn. And Make SURE they "Taste" the difference between the products. They did throw it in the pizza oven for a few minutes. It is just not the same. They need to improve the way the pizza is "on wait" for a customer. It sits in a little "tent" ready for the toppings and "re bake". It did not taste very fresh to me. $10.00 could have gone way further at 5 guys, Chipolties (sp?). Or $5.00 at Subway. I'll skip this one in the future BUT I cannot wait to eat at Mario's Wilson Blvd, next time I'm in Arlington!

Posted by: A Resident ()
Date: November 10, 2011 08:32PM

I had my second Falls Church Marios steak and cheese today. It is every bit as good as the original. Same ingredients. The place is very clean, the decor was nice, and the two young people working the counter were friendly. I questioned the young lad...he told me that yes it's the same owner as the original in Arlington. He told me "they just wanted to have more stores". He said they plan to build a store in Baileys Crossroads in the future. He said it may be together with a bar. I guess they want to go upscale like Krispy Kreme did on Rt.1. Nothing wrong with that. I did tell him that they need to keep their food the same.

Marinos was Marios trying to franchise a few years back. There was one in Fairfax Circle at one time. I went to one on Rt. 1 by the airport and they had changed the subs. I wasn't impressed and never went back. Marinos was a flop. If they changed or were allowed to change the menu...they were destined to fail.

I like the new Marios in Merrifield and will continue eating there. I like their steak and cheese alot. Whenever I entertain out of towners, I always take them to Marios. I have never heard a complaint. Bon appetit.

Posted by: Kens beatrice ()
Date: November 11, 2011 02:29AM

"The place is very clean, the decor was nice, and the two young people working the counter were friendly. I questioned the young lad..."

The young Hispanic lad with wispy beard? he use to work in Arlington but I think is now manager of merrifield

thing is most of staff at merrifield is hispanic females and I've rarely seen a female working at Mario's Arlington. too me the pizza is prepared differntly at merrifield than arlington. arlington tates like chef boy r dee and merrifield is a bit more doughy and seem to bake it longer not even close to best pizza ever had but tolerable. yeah it does seem on pricey side for the size of a slice.
I too like the steak and cheese and meatball subs

I 've heard the french fries are very good but my doctor limits me to once a month and the milkshakes are too die for

Posted by: Jack ()
Date: December 21, 2011 11:24AM

I think the lad he was talking about was the owner and probably his wife, both of whom are not Hispanic. I see them in there from time to time working. I think the steak and cheese is just as great as the original. I have never been a fan of their pizza anyhow, but this is the place to go for an awesome sub where you can actually taste the steak in it...not the steak-um meat.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.