HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...23456789101112AllNext
Current Page: 10 of 12
Re: 2011 Northern Region HS Football
Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: November 18, 2011 10:46PM

Exact opposite of the Robinson game - Robinson had a great defense and it was a defensive struggle. West Potomac defense only had a few stops in this game but their offense was effective. WP has one heck of a QB - he was impressive but WP threw too much and it came back to bite them bigtime which was probably predictable. The interception return for a TD was the game. That and WP's inability to stop Westfield's running game.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fan ()
Date: November 18, 2011 10:55PM

Centreville gave Lake Braddock plenty of chances to win, time management ended up killing Lake Braddock in what seemed to be a thrilling finish. 21-18, a game a missed opportunities.

Posted by: SBfan ()
Date: November 18, 2011 11:48PM

Stone Bridge had an off year and I'll tip my hat to South County they came in a took it to SB. Mickey Thompson was outcoached and outplayed! Good luck against Yorktown....if you win that one you get to host the Central winner for a trip to the state championship! Represent the North well!

Posted by: concordguy ()
Date: November 19, 2011 01:28AM

Hats off to Lake Braddock, they came with determination and played well.
This was a very hard fought game and really pushed us to step up.

This was the kind of tough game we needed to get ready for Westfield.

Keep your heads up Braddock, you guys played a great game and had a great season.

For the Wildcats, lets get ready for a war with Westfield.

Posted by: concord has an e ()
Date: November 19, 2011 01:50AM

Centreville played bad tonight, but I give credit to the Lake Braddock coaching staff that really improved that squad through the year. Same goes to West Po. Part of the closer scores is the colder weather, but both those teams would have lost by a lot more 5 weeks ago.

Now having had a son that played for Pannoni on Centreville, when everyone was bashing him I told you all he could coach. He had a great stint at Lee and Woodson, and got the short end of lousy talent his two years at Centreville. Now with no one wanting him, he has taken South County to unprecedented heights, playing for its first region championship ever next Saturday. Job well done coach, and that team has come a very long way from the first few weeks of the season, 9 in a row and Yorktown is not stopping them.

Posted by: Nighthawk ()
Date: November 19, 2011 08:59AM

The scary thing for teams in the Northern Region is that West Potomac is a young team. The majority of their team is underclassmen, or at least the best parts of their team are underclassmen.

Posted by: WP!!! ()
Date: November 19, 2011 09:17AM

West Potomac champs!
spacer90.gif

Posted by: WPFan ()
Date: November 19, 2011 10:10AM

Watch out for West Po next year Henderson is gonna have the team ready to compete again and go deep into the playoffs with the highly talented classes of 13 and 14. Caleb Henderson (sophomore) should be 1st team all region without a doubt, over 2500 yards of total offence and close to 30 touchdowns to his name. Demornay Pierson-El, also a sophomore, will dominate again next year as long as these two guys are there West Po will have a great offence. If the defense gets stronger at stopping the run I dont think there is a team that can beat them next year.

Posted by: AightDawg ()
Date: November 19, 2011 02:48PM

WTF How does SoCo Upset Stonebridge. I thought SB was gonna roll through the D5 Northern Region.

But anyways I still think of the National District as a Joke so I'm going with South County winning Region and then losing to Atlee/Hanover in State Semi-Finals.

And Hallelujah LB Lost. Fuck Dem.

Posted by: mmm ()
Date: November 19, 2011 03:01PM

AightDawg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WTF How does SoCo Upset Stonebridge. I thought SB
> was gonna roll through the D5 Northern Region.
>
> But anyways I still think of the National District
> as a Joke so I'm going with South County winning
> Region and then losing to Atlee/Hanover in State
> Semi-Finals.
>
> And Hallelujah LB Lost. Fuck Dem.

Stonebridge is having a very down year. One of their weakest teams in a long time. The Stonebridge teams of a few years ago would have rolled through SoCo.

Also, SoCo has a very good team this year, specifically on defense.

National District does suck for the most part, Yorktown doesn't look too bad though.
Should be a very interesting game.

Posted by: 4shiznits ()
Date: November 19, 2011 05:31PM

Stonebridge has the top defensive player in the northern region the best QB(on paper) another 10 win season and was rolling thru their competition, but now that SOCO beat the breaks off of them, they had a "down year".OK whatever!SOCO pyhsically dominated them, punched them in the mouth and had better team speed. Devin Vandyke, Oren burks, Drew Rector and the entire SOCO D held that powere run offense in check. SOCO Hurt several SB players. It seemed that SB was a little shocked at the speed and hitting of the soco d.SOCO offense is much improved since game 5. SOCO saved drew rector's legs early in the season but now there is no tommorow so all hands on deck best athletes are going both ways in the playoffs. Drew had a big 140 yards rushing on 13 carries and a pick 6 on D. D Vandyke and oren Burks showed why they are D1 recruits

Posted by: PD football ()
Date: November 19, 2011 05:52PM

West Springfield will be solid next year.....if they get a new Head Coach

Posted by: JustaFan ()
Date: November 19, 2011 08:04PM

SoCo-Yorktown is going to be awesome. SoCo is bigger but Yorktown has a track team. We saw them win UVA's passing tourney but didn't think they could play D. Then we saw them drop 51 on Lee last night w/o playing their starters much. They have some fast players but their big FB is key. He runs over people while their D waits for you to make a mistake. I'm going next week because this will be the game of the year. SoCo can win if they avoid turnovers and keep Yorktown's O off the field.

Date: November 19, 2011 08:10PM

I used to think the National Distict was a joke until seeing Yorktown play last night. They are ridiculously fast and have a FB who runs over people, too. I just saw that they beat Hayfield 21-0, a team that beat SoCo on opening day.

Date: November 19, 2011 09:57PM

SOCO that lost to hayfield on opening night 12 games ago looks nothing like SOCO today. Also Yorktown beat hayfield with hayfields top 3 players missing the game. not saying yorktown is not good because obviously they are. SOCO is also fast on d.

Posted by: RootsforSkins ()
Date: November 20, 2011 02:05PM

We played SoCo in the reg season and Yorktown on Fri. Both teams play great D but Yorktown has more O. They beat you up the middle with a big FB and a quick CQ who calls his own draws. When you stop that, they go wide with 3 different backs. They will wear down SoCo's athletes who play both ways and will throw to their tall receiver every time he gets single coverage. Yorktown 27, SoCo 14, but not in a close one.

Posted by: fgt ()
Date: November 20, 2011 02:06PM

4shiznits Wrote:
> Stonebridge has the top defensive player in the
> northern region the best QB(on paper) another 10
> win season and was rolling thru their competition,
> but now that SOCO beat the breaks off of them,
> they had a "down year".OK whatever!SOCO pyhsically
> dominated them, punched them in the mouth and had
> better team speed. Devin Vandyke, Oren burks, Drew
> Rector and the entire SOCO D held that powere run
> offense in check. SOCO Hurt several SB players.
> It seemed that SB was a little shocked at the
> speed and hitting of the soco d.SOCO offense is
> much improved since game 5. SOCO saved drew
> rector's legs early in the season but now there is
> no tommorow so all hands on deck best athletes are
> going both ways in the playoffs. Drew had a big
> 140 yards rushing on 13 carries and a pick 6 on D.
> D Vandyke and oren Burks showed why they are D1
> recruits

StoneBridge had a very down year...

Barely beat a shitty Robinson team. Losing to a shitty Chantilly team.

Don't get me wrong, SoCO is an excellent team and I expect them to handle Yorktown, but you can't say that this wasn't a poor StoneBridge team.

Posted by: Skinsfan ()
Date: November 20, 2011 08:56PM

Props to both westfield and Centreville for getting this far! I expect another class of the titans this week between these 2 excellent teams!Also gotta give props to both west pot and LB for pushing these 2 teams to edge! It also seems that WestPot is going to be very good next year with alot of there young talent. Unfortunetly for Lake Braddock I'm no so sure with them.WestPot has a very good qb while I can't really think of anyone at lb.

Posted by: Big Mike ()
Date: November 21, 2011 12:19PM

Don't sleep on Battlefield. They are the defending state champs and are peaking at the right time. They play the winner of Hylton-Osbourn this weekend, both of whom they have defeated in the playoffs before.

Posted by: Random Dude ()
Date: November 21, 2011 01:23PM

Big Mike Wrote:
> Don't sleep on Battlefield. They are the
> defending state champs and are peaking at the
> right time. They play the winner of
> Hylton-Osbourn this weekend, both of whom they
> have defeated in the playoffs before.

Didn't realize that the boundries of these schools were moved so they are now a part of Fairfax County.

Date: November 21, 2011 01:23PM

Battlefield lost to both Hylton and Osbourn this season and Osbourn was a 7-4 team. The thing that's going to hurt either team is that whoever wins, will be playing on a short week.

Posted by: fan witha question ()
Date: November 21, 2011 02:50PM

where is the Centreville/Westfield game?

Date: November 21, 2011 03:29PM

fan witha question Wrote:
> where is the Centreville/Westfield game?

@ Westfield

SoCo is at Yorktown for the Division 5 game.

Posted by: FireBiddi ()
Date: November 21, 2011 09:05PM

PD football Wrote:
> West Springfield will be solid next year.....if
> they get a new Head Coach

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha 11-19 in 3 years, yeah Good Luck with Biddison. He Blows.

But you bring a good point, I've seen West Springfield Play. They have a good Foundation for a run at PDC next season. QB could be an issuse but irrelevant with Dunn at Runningback. Losing a good Offensive Tackle will need to address a decent O-Line. I dont think they are losing anybody Too Key on the Defense but Secondary was A Weak Spot on a otherwise Solid D. Stop Run fairly well but couldnt do shit against the deep pass needed to beat teams such as West Pot. But they could be a Dark Horse for the District Title if they can do something about the Head Coaching...

2011 Northern Region HS Football
Posted by: GridIron1 ()
Date: November 22, 2011 01:37AM

Centreville at Westfield: Can it get any better than this rematch? Yes. Centreville will come out throwing more on 1st down. This will give them a few key first downs that keep drives going. These two teams are the SEC of the NoVa this year, and possibly, the state. In a nail-biter, Centreville 21-14.

SoCo at Yorktown: SoCo played a tougher schedule, has great D, and dominated SB. Yet films show that Yorktown's backs (#s 1, 2, 3 and 6) hit the line up to 0.2 seconds faster than SoCo's. SoCo's D adjust but its O will sputter vs. a D that has seen more speed in practice than it will see Fri. On what may be the fastest turf surface in NoVa, it's Yorktown 27-16.

Date: November 22, 2011 08:40AM

GridIron1 Wrote:
> it's Yorktown 27-16.

You do realize there has only been one game all season in which South County gave up more than 21 points in a game and that was in mid-September, right?

Over their 9-game win streak, South County is only giving up 7-and-a-half points per game and have created nearly 4 turnovers per game.

And I know it's a down year for Stone Bridge, but when was the last time you saw a team go into Ashburn, hold Stone Bridge to a field goal, and wiln by 3 TDs?

Yorktown could certainly win this game with as talented as they are on both sides of the ball, but if they win it will be in a close, low-scoring fashion.

If you were to put an over/under on this game I don;t think you could set it any higher than 36

Posted by: ballroom ()
Date: November 22, 2011 12:05PM

Matchup of the game to watch will be SOCO LB Vandyke (VT bound) vs Yorktown sophomore RB MJ Stewart (1,566 yds & 29 TD's while averaging only 13 carries a game). SOCO's defense is probably twice as good as the best D Yorktown has seen this year and the same could be said about Yorktown's offense for South County. This will be a great game. Prediction: Yorktown 21, SOCO 20.

Also, whichever team wins get's the home game for the state-semi's against the winner of the D5 central region (I believe Atlee or Hanover) and our two northern teams should beat either of them. Winner would likely play Pheobus (only 5 losses inc. playoffs in the past 7 years!) in in Scott Stadium at UVA for the State final.

Posted by: ballroom ()
Date: November 22, 2011 12:17PM

Also, I found the Yorktown - Lee highlights from Friday if anybody wants to check it out. Anyone have SOCO - Stone Bridge highlights?

2011 Yorktown vs Lee Northern Region D5 Semi-Finals via Youtube

Date: November 22, 2011 12:43PM

My predictions for this weekend,

Division 6
Centreville 14
Westfield 13

Hylton 33
Battlefield 14

Divison 5
South County 22
Yorktown 20

Brooke Point 32
N. Stafford 7

Division 4
Briar Woods 27
Powhatan 14

Division 3
Kettle Run 20
Liberty 17

Division 1
Manassas Park 13
Amelia County 28

Posted by: Love Answering Random Dude Questions ()
Date: November 22, 2011 05:00PM

The answer is never but SB never had a RB as slow and non explosive as they had this year and Burns is the most over rated player in the COUNTRY the kid is absolutely not a football player is a a camp player nothing else he was/is the worst QB to ever play at SB and he handed SC 2 of their TD's just as he handed them to most teams all year Burns was responsible for more points scored for SB opponents - by pick 6's, fumbles for TD's. interceptions that gave teams unbelievable field position, etc stats would show he let up more points on his turn overs than the SB defense let up all year. SC did nothing special to SB Burns folded under pressure as he did all year

After all that SC was a very very good team but they beat a SB with very real weaknesses that I have pointed out on this board all year not just after this loss, in fact I called this loss and called it that Burns would throw a pick 6 in this game

and Rector and Van Dyke are great players on a very good team so my points on SB are not meant to take away from SoCo more to answer that a QB on paper is nothing more than a paper tiger and allen did play great but could not counter how bad Burns is and other SB weakness

Posted by: Jock Strap ()
Date: November 22, 2011 07:12PM

Nighthawk - Good predictions - agree with them all, although I have no idea about the two teams in Division 1.

Brooke Point will roll North Stafford - again. Too bad we didn't get to see Broad Run play the game last week with their starting QB.

Hylton will be too much for Battlefield for sure.

Also think Centreville comes out on top of Westfield.

Briar Woods will win, but it will be close.

Could not agree more with earlier post - Ryan Burns of Stone Bridge is WAAAAAAAAAY overrated. He is the 4th best QB in Asburn, behind Briar QB, and BOTH QB's at Broad Run.

Allen ( Jr. lineman ) at Stone Bridge, however, is a monster. Oklahoma offered ride couple of weeks ago. Has over 20 offers already.

SoCo v. Yorktown
Date: November 22, 2011 09:31PM

Random Dude:

Thanks. My under/over is 43 because Yorktown is missing 2 D starters, gives up lots of yards on kickoffs and plays poor pass D -- plus there is good reason to believe that Yorktown will score.

Yorktown wins because:

1) OFFENSE: Yorktown scored 40+ 8 times; SoCo did that just twice, despite being handed many turnovers from its great D. SoCo gave up 31 to West Po, a team whose O is like Yorktown's. Against Lee, West Po scored 45 and Yorktown had 51. They will throw in a heartbeat and rolled even when Stewart was out hurt and was not getting any of his 1400+ yards. No team has held Yorktown to less than 3 scores.

2) DEFENSE: Everybody knows about SoCo's great D but Yorktown's D held 9 of 12 teams to 15 points or less. They are used to chasing Stewart and Smith in practice, good prep for Friday, and something that will give Yorktown's O more time on the field.

3) COMMON OPPONENTS: Yorktown went 2-0 with no game closer than 21; SoCo went 1-1 and got shutout once by a team that Yorktown blanked 21-0.

4) STREAKS: During SoCo's streak, Yorktown went 9-0, averaging 42 points and giving up just under 11. The team is 21-2 since going to the spread, losing only to Centreville last year in a driving rain and to archrival W&L, whom Yorktown then beat by 22. In July, Yorktown won UVA's 7-on-7 passing tournament over 35 other teams. So both teams are on streaks.

Re: SoCo v. Yorktown
Posted by: Gridiron2 ()
Date: November 22, 2011 11:29PM

Yes, Soco gave up 31 to west potomac but they did have an Oren Burks INT return for a TD and a Jeremy Haynes FF in the endzone for a TD. So they forced 14 points in TOs.

ALSO: stats are nice and fancy but no one has really mentioned the factor that blurs those, Strength of Schedule. Yorktown, Who have you played? You let WnL score 33 points on ya.

I have Soco winning 21-10.

But either way, the winner has a very good chance to win states, Phoebus has lost twice this year! and they barely snuck by last week against Lake Taylor. We could have 2 state champs from the Northern Region. Either westfield or Centreville, pick one.

Date: November 23, 2011 08:02AM

Gridiron2 Wrote:
ALSO: stats are nice and fancy but no one has
really mentioned the factor that blurs those,
Strength of Schedule. Yorktown, Who have you
played? You let WnL score 33 points on ya.

That's correct, and it's reflected in the state rankings.

South County is ranked 17th, 9-3 record, 89.1 rating.

Stone Bridge is ranked 22nd, 10-2 record, 86.8 rating.

Yorktown is ranked 23rd, 12-0 record, 85.6 rating.

Obviously, Yorktown's strength of schedule is being taken into account.

SoCo v. Yorktown
Date: November 23, 2011 11:39AM

Nighhawk and GridIron2--you want to talk SOS and rankings? Let go.

1) The Washingto Post Poll: Yorktown #10, SoCo unranked. The 6 people on that poll actually coach; they don't sit in Richmond computing BCS-like stats. One of them brought his PG team to Yorktown in pre-season and saw firsthand.

2) If you insist on BCs-like stats, see the Active.com Power Ratings: Yorktown is #1; SoCo is #9. http://powerratings.active.com/highschool-football/ratings.htm?group=194375. This poll is D5 specific.

3) SOS: Yorktown BEAT Hayfield, SoCo LOST to Hayfield. Point differential: +28 Yorktown. Yorktown didn't have Green, so enough about Hayfield's player injury.

4) SOS: Yorktown and SoCo both beat Lee. Point differential: +12 Yorktown.

5) SOS: SoCo played Woodson, Annandale, Robinson, TC and Madison. C'mon, are you kidding? Yorktown beat Madison 43-0 last year and the leagues decided not to keep that going. SoCo LOST 3 of its only other 5 reg season games. Your review of SOS takes into account losses, right?

6) SOS: Yorktown beat D6 Concorde Herndon, 41-7 on the road. Hernon lost to Oakton, 42-41. Oakton dominated SoCo, up 21-0 late. The Oakton loss counts, right?

Yorktown played a weak sched, but they did better vs. common opponents in the W-L column. Think Yorktown's D is weak because it gave up 33 to archrival W&L? Yorktown held BOTH common opponents (Lee and Hayfield) to fewer points than SoCo did so think again.

Can't wait to see what happens Fri.

Posted by: southcounty ()
Date: November 23, 2011 06:27PM

the south county team that lost to hayfield in the season opener is nothing like the team that is playing on friday. you can talk all you want but all of south countys' losses were in the first three weeks of the season. players were warming up to the new coaching (really, a ton of the players were still didn't trust the Panonni - the loss of Bendorf was one that the team wasn't ready to embrace with open arms) i know, that shouldn't be an excuse but if you see the way South County played in the first three weeks and compare it to how they have been playing it's different. They are using a more pass-based offense (opposed from their early season running offense) something that has become more and more impressive.

With talents like Shane Foley, Michael Feurguson, who is pretty much the ultimate athlete, with various skills Andrew Rector, who brings TD's on the score board, Devin VanDyke, Timmy Hunt, JP Blake, Jeremy Haynes, Jake Josephs, and Oren Burks the team in itself it supurb - but every team can have good players. It's leaders on the team that make the team have the willpower to go far. This team was talking about making it into the state tournment since August ---- something the school has never been close to, and something that seemed a bit "high hopes" to say the least ---- and some of the seniors will even proclaim they saw this happening freshman year when they went undefeated. It's the attitude behind the talent that makes this team SO incredible.

Not to mention the surge in school spirit.
"I believe" South County can beat Yorktown.

Date: November 23, 2011 07:04PM

u may want to check the post SOCO is ranked 13 Gridiron 1

Posted by: Correction ()
Date: November 23, 2011 07:38PM

GridIron1 Wrote:
>
> Can't wait to see what happens Fri.

Games are on Saturday

Posted by: What ()
Date: November 23, 2011 07:39PM

Gridiron 1 wrote "2) If you insist on BCs-like stats, see the Active.com Power Ratings: Yorktown is #1; SoCo is #9. http://powerratings.active.com/highschool-football/ratings.htm?group=194375. This poll is D5 specific."

This Poll has stone bridge # 3 even after SOCO destroyed them. not sure this poll is credible????

SoCo D vs. Yorktown O
Posted by: Trojans2007 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 07:45PM

I give more cred to Rivals.com. They have YKTWN 7 and SoCo 14. http://virginiapreps.rivals.com/viewrankhs.asp?ra_key=844&Year=2011.

The Wash Post's sold me on YKTWN's O, but also on the 4 turnovers SoCo forced last week. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/football-virginia-playoff-preview/2011/09/07/gIQAnf87oN_story.html.

GridIron1, did you actually see YKTWN-Hayfield? YKTWN hurt itself w/penalties and turnovers and only won, 21-0. Also, the box score from last week shows that YKTWN lost 3 fumbles vs Lee. You seem to know fball so you know that this plays to SoCo's strength. Also, SoCo's QB is smart, makes good reads, and doesn't turnover the ball much. Nobody will argue that SoCo has YKTWN's speed. However, that speed won't make up for being careless around SoCo's D.

This is a big stage. That means jitters and jitters lead to turnovers. This favors SoCo so I'm giving a slight nod to the Stallions.

Date: November 23, 2011 07:50PM

To Correction:

The game is FRIDAY -- not Saturday. You might have been looking at the date and time for the D6 regional final, I think.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/football-virginia-playoff-preview/2011/09/07/gIQAnf87oN_story.html

I think they're having the games on different days so whoever is in town can go to both. Make sense?

Date: November 23, 2011 07:57PM

What -- you make a good point. I can't figure out why Stone Bridge is #3 or why SoCo is only #9 in the D5-specific poll. The poll supposedly came out yesterday. Maybe it's based on the whole season. SoCo's win over SB in a road playfoff game should be given way more weight and they deserve to be way up there.

Posted by: take it to the bank ()
Date: November 23, 2011 08:00PM

totally impartial point of view... I saw SOCO play a very weak WT Woodson team near the end of the year and the takeaways I have for the Yorktown match up are:

SOCO has a solid defense, but not all powerful. WTW moved the ball on them a bit between the 20's. SOCO did shutdown SB last week, but SB stuck to its odd inside running game and paid for it. Yorktown has much more speed and athletisicm than does SB and they will move the ball on SOCO.

On offense SOCO at best is opportunistic. The QB is solid, but average, They will not/cannot throw long, ever. All passes are to the left (QB is a lefty). They do have a solid RB, but not an every play threat. Against WTW they were sloppy with the ball, incl several fumbles, but against WTW they did have an uncanny ability to convert on third and 10/plus.

Bottom line - Yorktown will expose SOCO's base defense and score enough to win. Count on a 24 - 14 Yorktown win.

Date: November 23, 2011 08:21PM

4Shiz...

Thx for pointing out TWP's new rankings re SoCo up to #13. It's good that the coaches are recognizing Soco's performance. I'm amazed at their abilit to cause so many turnovers as somebody just wrote on here, but am still thinking Yorktown has too many weapons on O.

SoCo-Yorktown
Date: November 23, 2011 09:44PM

We played SoCo reg season and Ytown last week. Both play good D but Ytown has more SWAG on O. They got penalized alot cuz they over-SWAG w/variable counts, unbalanced lines, and reverses. But they make you think and if you hesitate on that field, it's 7-0. If we saw this O more, we could stop it. Tru dat: Ytown won last game of reg season last year BUT WL beat them 1 week later in playoff. If Ytown lived in the box like SB, SoCo would win. They don't and seeing this O for first time is big problem for SoCo. Ytown rolls, but props to SoCo's great year.

Posted by: luvsskins ()
Date: November 23, 2011 09:57PM

SoCo will roll over Yorktown. All they have to do is win the first quarter and Yorktown will break down. Not to mention the insane school spirit. SoCo hasn't lost when HypeSquad has gone to the game in large numbers. Any stadium is a home game for SoCo.

Re: SoCo-Yorktown
Date: November 23, 2011 11:08PM

HypeSquad is great but SoCo has lost every time they played a quicker team. Yorktown is MUCH faster; I was on the field against them both. Also, Yorktown's turf is quick. HypeSquad will in the stands, not on the turf. Yorktown will win this game hands down but everybody knows about SoCo's spirit.

SoCo-Yorktown
Posted by: UNC2003 ()
Date: November 24, 2011 10:54AM

Take it to the Bank-- I agree. Yorktown will win 21-14, possibly by more.

Yorktown hasn't played anybody, for sure, but they're 4-0 vs. playoff teams(Hayfield, Langley, McLean, and Lee), scoring 20+ every time. But SoCo's O has had trouble, scoring 13 points or less in 5 of 12 games. Oakton's D is tough, but I'm not sure how to explain the other ones.
Rob: 13,
LB: 10
WSP: 10,
Oakton 7, and
Hayfield 0.
The 31-0 over Madison looks good, until you consider that both SoCo and Madison lost to Hayfield -- and Yorktown beat Hayfield 21-0.

I read about SoCo's D but then just saw that Yorktown gives up fewer PPG so I don't know what to think. One of these two teams is definitely over-hyped and tomorrow will tell all.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: November 25, 2011 01:33AM

Here is the scoreline, two great championships to claim the Northern Region!

Division 5 - Friday @ 1:30pm
South County @ Yorktown (-7.0)

Division 6 - Saturday @ 1:30pm
Centreville (-3.0) @ Westfield

Date: November 25, 2011 12:44PM

GridIron1 Wrote:
Nighhawk and GridIron2--you want to talk SOS and rankings? Let go.

2) If you insist on BCs-like stats, see the Active.com Power Ratings: Yorktown is #1; SoCo is #9.
http://powerratings.active.com/highschool-football/ratings.htm?group=194375.

This poll is D5 specific.

Can't wait to see what happens Fri.
--------------------------------------------------------

Take into account Northern Region only, Yorktown is ranked #1, South County #3 in Nat'l PR but if you if you use the same link and sort it by SOS then South County is ranked #1 and Yorktown is ranked 14.

http://www.yorktownpatriots.com/football/rankings?sort=StrengthOfSchedule

Take into account all AAA Division 5, then Yorktown is ranked #1, SC #9 Nat'l PR but sort by SOS and SC is ranked #9 and Yortown is ranked #64

I don't have a dog in this fight but I can't wait to see what happens Friday either.

Posted by: SOCO ()
Date: November 25, 2011 02:45PM

South County leading Yorktown 17-0 at the half. SOCO looking good!

Date: November 25, 2011 02:56PM

SOCO Wrote:
> South County leading Yorktown 17-0 at the half.
> SOCO looking good!
Just beat me to it. Looks like defense is beating offense.

Re: SoCo-Yorktown
Date: November 25, 2011 02:58PM

UNC2003 Wrote:
> I read about SoCo's D but then just saw that
> Yorktown gives up fewer PPG so I don't know what
> to think. One of these two teams is definitely
> over-hyped and tomorrow will tell all.
------------------------------------------------------
Yorktown gives up fewer PPG because they play worse teams. Don't count your chickens before they hatch but I think we're seeing that Yorktown is/was over-hyped.

Posted by: soco ()
Date: November 25, 2011 03:47PM

South County 37
Yorktown 7

4th Quarter

forced fumbles, 2 blocked punts, pick sixes. D beats O.

Posted by: soco ()
Date: November 25, 2011 04:09PM

37-13 final

South County are Div. 5 Northern Region Champions

Date: November 25, 2011 04:11PM

Congratulations to the South County Stallions on being the AAA Northern Region Divison 5 winners.

Good luck at States next week. Represent Fairfax.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: November 25, 2011 04:42PM

Let me ask you this? Is Coach Pannoni seriously not the coach of the year for the Northern Region? What a tremendous job he has done.

Posted by: SoCo ()
Date: November 25, 2011 04:53PM

Keep talking shit Yorktown. You're not anything. That's the proof. Give Hanover, give us whoever. We won't stop until there's rings on our fingers. County Boys all the way to UVA.

Posted by: nova fan ()
Date: November 25, 2011 05:00PM

Congrats SoCo. Do Fairfax proud at states!

Posted by: SOCO ()
Date: November 25, 2011 05:16PM

Yorktown fans are on hushmode. they got outhyped and outplayed. south county all day.

Congrats to SoCo
Date: November 25, 2011 05:24PM

I just got back from the game and want to congratulate SoCo on playing a terrific game on both sides of the ball. Their D played better than any I've ever seen in 15 years of playing and watching football. The blocked 3 punts, intercepted 2 passes (taking 1 to the House) and caused 2 fumbles.

Even more important, wen Yorktown closed to 17-7 in the third quarter, SoCo more than answered. That's the mark of a champion and we'll be routing for soCo next week.

The last point to be made is that #28 can play. There was a lot of well-deserved publicity about #10, but #28 played an awesome game, too.

I'm a Yorktown fan and am proud of what our team accomplished over the past 2 years, BUT I learned today that this SoCo team is THE class of D5 in this region, and very probably the whole state.

Congratulations to SoCo.

Posted by: congrats ()
Date: November 25, 2011 05:38PM

Congratulations to South County!

Now onto Westfield vs. Centreville..

Posted by: yktownblws ()
Date: November 25, 2011 05:56PM

Yorktown plays such a week schedule, all those stats are meaningless.
Every year they have this great record and talk about how they are so good, playoffs come and they get beat.

Yorktown schedule better teams, you have that option, you have to schedule your district games, all of the out of district games are up to you.

Date: November 25, 2011 06:13PM

yktownblows;

we don't have a choice in terms of which games to schedule; for example, last year we were assigned Centreville, this year we got Langley and Herndon. Those games are assigned. I see you were 4-6 last year or something like that so am not sure what your point is. Yorktown has 2 district championships in its history; you have 1 we both have been there. I can tell by your name that you're a good sport ...

Posted by: UNC2003 ()
Date: November 25, 2011 06:36PM

Your football team obviously can play and i definitely hope they win at states. The only bad part about is that people like you don't know how to be a good sport, whether you win or lose. We've won 2 regional championships and we've lost a few, like today. We know to congratulate the winners. Did anybody teach you how to win or is this such a unique experience for you that you just don't know how to behave?

congrats, SoCo
Date: November 25, 2011 06:49PM

Yktownblows -- that school you're making fun of has won twice as many region champtionships as your team has. maybe when you start winning more of them, you'll learn how to win w/some class. your team was 4-6 last year and that's a great turnaround -- but maybe YOU haven't learned how to win w/class yet. 'm hoping your football team wins state -- unlike a certain team from SoCo that was the overwhelming fav to win states in baseball and lost. we played that team and they were GREAT so we know that great teams sometimes have a bad game.

Your team played an awesome game today; ours sucked and your greatness had much to do w/that. But if Yorktown "blows" because it lost a football game, then what does that say you about you?

Posted by: observerofthis ()
Date: November 25, 2011 07:08PM

Soco has only been open a few years. Your argument makes no sense. You can schedule better teams, they schedule games based off of a ranking system. Rank the westfields, centrevilles, and west pots of the world high, then your schedule will be strong and you can be battle tested, like soco. Their scedule made them stronger.

Date: November 25, 2011 07:20PM

Agree that SOS gets you ready, but I don't know how Yorktown breaks out of its ongoing challenge. They got Centreville (L, 27-0) and Madison last year (43-0). Then this year they get Herndon and Langley, winning by a combined 62-7. I hope they do get a tough game or two on the schedule next year because it's clear that that's the best way to get ready for playoffs. The won the region I think in 1999 or so but it's been slow going ever since. SoCo definitely is tough and must have made incredible strides since the opener. Hat off, for sure.

Posted by: nrperson ()
Date: November 25, 2011 07:56PM

Yorktown came in here talking about how great they were, they 12-0 and were blowing everyone out. The best 2 teams they played were Hayfield and Lee, both were average teams.

Hayfield beat SC at the beginning of the season, Yorktown beat Hayfield, so the Yorktown tried to say we will beat SC, without ever playing the game, but using stats.

Well SC got better due to the fact they played a much tougher schedule, Yorktown continued to beat up on JV teams and talking trash. They won some passing league tournament, they had the best QB RB LB. the best offense and the best defense. All of there players were going to be All met. They were comparing themselves to Westfield and Centreville. Oh they had all of these stats and they were just so good.

Well what happens when you play a good team or even a great team...you lose!
How many first downs did you have today? how about rushing yards?

Start playing team with winning records outside of your district and be competitive... then you will get respect. Going 12-0 against the teams you played was nothing to brag about. I guess you have that figured out now.....haha

Date: November 25, 2011 08:00PM

nrperson --

Every team has a bad game ... just like your baseball team did last year in states. I don't know what your point is since your team was 4-6 last year and we'll see what happens next year. just because you finally won 10 games one year, you're acting like your a football power or something. Call me if you repeat next year and then let's talk, ha, ha.

Date: November 25, 2011 08:15PM

nrperson--

One more thing...SoCo had a D6 playoff record of 1-3. So this year they moved you down to D5 with the other little schools -- where you can be one of the biggest and compete on your size. i personally think you would do well in D6 this year because of your great D, but let's not kid ourselves about your record w/schools in that category. i'm not saying Yorktown would far any better and i'm routing for you for states this year. However, any school moving from D6 to D5 naturally would have an advantage, just like schools moving up initally have a tougher time.

Posted by: wlgen4lyfe ()
Date: November 25, 2011 09:26PM

Hahahahaha Yorktown lost they suck face it.
What happen to all those great players Yorktown has....hahaha
Not so great when they play real teams.....hahaha

We are talking about this year 2011 South County Northern Region Div 5 CHAMPS!!!!

Yorktown......not hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Date: November 25, 2011 09:47PM

wigen4lyfe -- 12-1, beating 4 playoff teams and beating Hayfield sucks? Your team has won 4 playoff games in its entire existence; you've had ONE good year--and we salute you for that. but let's see if you can keep it going -- or whether you go back to being 4-6 again next year. may your football team fare better than your baseball team did ...since we really think your boys deserve to win states.

Date: November 25, 2011 10:15PM

GridIron1 Wrote:
> yktownblows;
>
> we don't have a choice in terms of which games to
> schedule; for example, last year we were assigned
> Centreville, this year we got Langley and Herndon.
> Those games are assigned.
GridIron1, I'm curious. What was the reasoning behind Yorktown scheduling Woodrow Wilson out of the DCIAA? Did Yorktown's coach have a favor to return to Wilson's coach? Not sure why they would do this.

Date: November 25, 2011 10:23PM

So it's South County vs Hanover next week.

The Westfield/Centreville winner will be playing Hermitage.

The Hylton/Battlefield winner will be playing Oscar Smith.

Briar Woods moves on after beating Powhatan 21-7.

Kettle Run moves on after beating Liberty 21-16.

Posted by: Tigger, Please ()
Date: November 25, 2011 10:38PM

SOCO keep wishing and dreaming..you may make it passed Hanover but there is a little school in the ER that will keep those rings off your fingers..Phoebus.
Better look them up.

Date: November 25, 2011 10:47PM

I am a SOCO fan, congrats yorktown on having a great year, good luck with your awesome young players and stay classy, don't take the bait!

Posted by: scstal ()
Date: November 25, 2011 10:54PM

Who cares about the past or even next year

We Are The Champions...We Are The Champions....We Are The Champions
2011 Northern Region Champions!!!!!!

Oh yea...Yorktown is undefeated ...WAS undefeated...

Note to Yorktown.......Dont brag about beating up on the week teams and your padded stats...you had decent players that worked hard...nothing wrong with that.
But come in here and say your QB, RB WR were the best in the region, based off the week schedule that padded the stats...well sorry that doesnt get it.

Date: November 25, 2011 11:02PM

Tigger, Please Wrote:
> SOCO keep wishing and dreaming..you may make it
> passed Hanover but there is a little school in the
> ER that will keep those rings off your
> fingers..Phoebus.
> Better look them up.
If this was any other year, then I would agree with you, but this Phoebus team isn't the teams of the past. They lost two games this year, late in the season and they barely squeaked by Lake Taylor last week and still have to win tomorrow against Norcom and one more game after that before they can lay claim to anything. Don't count your chickens until they hatch.

Date: November 25, 2011 11:08PM

Nighthawk--

Re Wilson, Yorktown has some type of commitment/relationship with DC Public Schools. It goes back over 5 years or so. The same with PG County -- but Yorktown only scrimmages 1 school from PG every year. This year it was Forestville, I think. Playing those schools is a different exprience but probably not great in terms of playoff prep.

Date: November 25, 2011 11:14PM

4shiz--

Definitely congratulations on such a good game today and season, too. A lot of us stayed late and personally shook your players' hands and wished them the best next week. It was a good experience and you could see the leadership the seniors showed. Really good team, for sure, and perhaps one of destiny. Yorktown's youngsters were down after the game, but you have to play good teams to get better like everybody says and this was a good learning experience. Good luck next week!!!!

Posted by: Wildcatfan ()
Date: November 26, 2011 07:37AM

Wildcats ready to roar at Westfield today! It's gonna be a classic, Wildcats win with stifling Defense and ground it out Offense.

Today is the State Championship!!

Posted by: Bulldogfan ()
Date: November 26, 2011 10:56AM

Bulldogs ready to pounce today! biggest game in the state of Virginia part two, this is like the BCS national championship game that's gonna happen between LSU and Alabama. LETS GO WESTFIELD!

It's gonna be a great game!

Posted by: Tigger, Please ()
Date: November 26, 2011 11:38AM

Nighthawk,

If Phoebus is to be beat this would be the year, no doubt.
But they seem to be able to always get it done when it really matters.
Be it skill or just plain luck.

I'm rooting for SoCo being a NR fan and I don't want to see SoCo getting to full of themselves just yet.

When teams see Phoebus for the first time it sometimes throws them, seeing the size of most of Phoebus players...alot of them look like they should be on a college team

Date: November 26, 2011 01:11PM

scstal-

Hey, nobody's post on here said that Yorktown's QB, WR, and FB were the region's best. I wrote that Yorktown turned over the ball alot in beating Hayfield and Lee and that Yorktown's speed wouldn't make up for being careless around SoCo's D. I picked the Stallions. I saw some other posts about Yorktown beating 4 playoff teams, but that's just scheduling and none of them said anything about having the region's best players. This team was picked to finish 3rd in its weak divison (behind Hayfield and Stuart). At yesterday's game, what I saw was a senior-laden team soundly beat a young team that only loses a NG, a QB, 1 LB and 1 FB. All props to SoCo for this year and the Yorktown community to routing for them to go all the way. I think it's fair to say that this young Yorktown team overachieved in beating teams like Hayfield, McLean, Langly, and Lee but Stewart & Co. will be there for 2 more years. As fans, we can appreciate that, as well as the great run SoCo is having!

Posted by: south county ()
Date: November 26, 2011 02:05PM

Why is there so much hate for the SoCo baseball team?? They were a good squad, just like the football team.

Posted by: Soco football player ()
Date: November 26, 2011 04:10PM

South County football has improved a lot since we lost to West Po. Our offense is clicking, and our defense is still one of the best in the State.

Date: November 26, 2011 05:07PM

Northern Region D-6 championship:

Centreville 27 - Westfield 24

Other scores of interest:

Battlefield 28 - Hylton 13

Kettle Run 21 - Liberty 16

Briar Woods 21 - Powhatan 7

Posted by: Great game! ()
Date: November 26, 2011 06:07PM

The Westfield/CvHS game lived up to the hype! Truly a great one!

Posted by: WF-CV ()
Date: November 26, 2011 06:20PM

Cville-Westfield was the best game of the year hands down. Just when you thought it was over for Westfield, Kendell Anderson makes 2 huge plays to bring them back in the game and give them hope. Connor Coward had the game-ending blocked field goal for Cville. Game was down to the wire and I think the truly better team won. Big day for Chase Walter and Manny Smith of Centreville too.

Date: November 26, 2011 07:14PM

Random Dude Wrote:
>Other scores of interest:
>
> Battlefield 28 - Hylton 13
>
------------------------------------------------------
I guess the sleeping Giant has awoken during the playoffs. That doesn't bode well for the rest of the teams.

Posted by: Novafball ()
Date: November 26, 2011 08:03PM

Coach Chris Haddock runs his program the right way and the more disciplined team won via making less mistakes(turnovers/penalties).
Only wish Chantilly hadn't passed on hiring one of their own. CVHS got a good one.

Posted by: really??? ()
Date: November 26, 2011 09:11PM

Haddock does? A player caught drunk and with drug para at a school dance played bothvwats today. That is the right way? I guess if you win.....bs

Posted by: Lighten Up ()
Date: November 26, 2011 09:34PM

really??? Wrote:
> Haddock does? A player caught drunk and with drug
> para at a school dance played bothvwats today.
> That is the right way? I guess if you win.....bs

What would you like the punishment to be? Kick him off the team for life? I'm glad he played.

Posted by: parentmm ()
Date: November 26, 2011 10:04PM

He should be kicked off. Drugs and alcohol are against the law. So football is that important that we can allow the players to break the law? This is an epidemic in our area, not a joke. Parents hosting parties supplying beer. If I were the player who played the games while he was suspended for a couple games I would be pissed. I didnt let my team down, he did. Bottom line is Haddock is like all the rest win at all cost.

Posted by: random opinion ()
Date: November 26, 2011 11:30PM

really??? Wrote:
> Haddock does? A player caught drunk and with drug
> para at a school dance played bothvwats today.
> That is the right way? I guess if you win.....bs

It's funny because unlike some schools in this district (i.e. Oakton), these kids served their suspensions from both school and football. Centreville handled the situation the way that it was supposed to be handled.

Posted by: concernedparentsinffxcty ()
Date: November 26, 2011 11:36PM

It happens at every level, High school, College and in every school...Athletes get special treatment.

If they would have been from the band, drama, or any other club, they would have been expelled.

I ask....Whats more important athletics or doing the right thing?

Posted by: aha ()
Date: November 27, 2011 12:20AM

concernedparentsinffxcty Wrote:
> It happens at every level, High school, College
> and in every school...Athletes get special
> treatment.
>
> If they would have been from the band, drama, or
> any other club, they would have been expelled.
>
> I ask....Whats more important athletics or doing
> the right thing?

Definitely athletics

Posted by: snarlp ()
Date: November 27, 2011 11:38AM

concernedparentsinffxcty Wrote:
>
> I ask....Whats more important athletics or doing
> the right thing?

the right thing is athletics

Pages: PreviousFirst...23456789101112AllNext
Current Page: 10 of 12

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.