HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
One high visibility soccer coach makes as much in salary as my brother who's a lawyer
Posted by: Pele's nephew's brother-in-law ()
Date: April 11, 2011 04:20PM

But it's a matter of supply and demand. Lots of people love playing soccer and there arent' many good coaches. On the other hand, nobody likes lawyers and there are way too many of 'em - people with useless undergrad degrees who went to cheap law schools for the sheep skin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One high visibility soccer coach makes as much in salary as my brother who's a lawyer
Posted by: MrMystery ()
Date: April 11, 2011 04:41PM

GMU's basketball coach is the second highest paid state employee in VA. It all comes down to a consumer's perception of value.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 05:43PM by MrMystery.

Re: One high visibility soccer coach makes as much in salary as my brother who's a lawyer
Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: April 11, 2011 05:06PM

Sate Employee? WTF? Isn't he employeed by GMU?

Posted by: MrMystery ()
Date: April 11, 2011 05:14PM

GMU is a state school, so he is a state employee. All state and public school employees are considered VA state employees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 05:46PM by MrMystery.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: April 11, 2011 05:22PM

I doubt his check says "state of Virginia" or that he is on the state payroll. If he is payed by the state of Virginia, where does all that tuition money go?

BTW: Your signature sucks.

Posted by: funding for state universities ()
Date: April 11, 2011 06:13PM

The coach receives state benefits (like VRS). The state subsidizes George Mason and the other state colleges, so you could say that he is getting probably half of his salary from the state. The other half probably comes from tuition. So---call it what you want to call it---but he gets a pretty big chunk of his pay from state taxpayers.

Posted by: no more doubt ()
Date: April 11, 2011 06:19PM

More Complete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I doubt his check says "state of Virginia" or that
> he is on the state payroll. If he is payed by the
> state of Virginia, where does all that tuition
> money go?
>
> BTW: Your signature sucks.

Name JAMES
Middle Name J
Last Name LARRANAGA
Job Title Professional - Instructor
Federal Classification Title Unassigned
Base Salary $525,000
Total Salary $525,000
Total Minus Base $0
Comments
Department George Mason University
Parent Agency
Years of service 14

http://datacenter.timesdispatch.com/salaries-virginia-state-employees.html

Posted by: Tefdd18777 ()
Date: April 11, 2011 07:11PM

no more doubt Wrote:
> More Complete Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I doubt his check says "state of Virginia" or
> that
> > he is on the state payroll. If he is payed by
> the
> > state of Virginia, where does all that tuition
> > money go?
> >
> > BTW: Your signature sucks.
>
>
> Name JAMES
> Middle Name J
> Last Name LARRANAGA
> Job Title Professional - Instructor
> Federal Classification Title Unassigned
> Base Salary $525,000
> Total Salary $525,000
> Total Minus Base $0
> Comments
> Gender
> State Begin Date 4/1/1997
> Department George Mason University
> Parent Agency
> Years of service 14
>
> http://datacenter.timesdispatch.com/salaries-virgi
> nia-state-employees.html

Thats actually pretty cheap for a college basketball coach with that resume of accomplishments. Larranaga's CAA nemesis from VCU Shaka Smart got bumped from $350,00 t0 $1.2 million a year. He took a #11 seed(same seed as mason in 2006) from the same conference to the final four. Smart is younger though.

Posted by: Real $ ()
Date: April 12, 2011 11:16AM

Tefdd18777 Wrote:
> no more doubt Wrote:
> -----
> > More Complete Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I doubt his check says "state of Virginia" or
> > that
> > > he is on the state payroll. If he is payed by
> > the
> > > state of Virginia, where does all that
> tuition
> > > money go?
> > >
> > > BTW: Your signature sucks.
> >
> >
> > Name JAMES
> > Middle Name J
> > Last Name LARRANAGA
> > Job Title Professional - Instructor
> > Federal Classification Title Unassigned
> > Base Salary $525,000
> > Total Salary $525,000
> > Total Minus Base $0
> > Comments
> > Gender
> > State Begin Date 4/1/1997
> > Department George Mason University
> > Parent Agency
> > Years of service 14
> >
> >
> http://datacenter.timesdispatch.com/salaries-virgi
>
> > nia-state-employees.html
>
> Thats actually pretty cheap for a college
> basketball coach with that resume of
> accomplishments. Larranaga's CAA nemesis from VCU
> Shaka Smart got bumped from $350,00 t0 $1.2
> million a year. He took a #11 seed(same seed as
> mason in 2006) from the same conference to the
> final four. Smart is younger though.

You don't think that'll come up in the next contract negotiation? Plus these guys make a boatload from camps, speaking fees, etc. That's not coming from the state of course, but I bet you Larranga doubles his income through that stuff.

Posted by: speaking fees ()
Date: April 12, 2011 11:20AM

Posted by: This guy ()
Date: April 12, 2011 12:12PM

Not to mention, most universities have independent corporations set up for the athletic departments to sell merchandise and run the athletic programs. Think a high school booster club with a mutlimillion dollar budget. I would not be surprised if a good chunk of his total compensation from GMU came from an organization like that.

Posted by: VAStateWorker ()
Date: April 12, 2011 02:00PM

Well... Right now a bunch of tuition money from VA state schools is going to the wonderful construction up around Tyson's Corner and West Falls church for the Metro and roads. Then there is some going to the repairs in hampton Roads area regarding their growth in population and need for new roads. And the new state mandates that help with improved living in South Western Virginia and compensation for Miner's with various difficulties in the appalachia mountains.

What?? You guys don't remember voting for this stuiff in the last decade? Remember back in 04 when you voted for the imporved roads and highways measure? How about the increased gentrificaiton of the parks and services? On average only 57% of tuiton rates actually goes to the University.

To piggy back off that... UVA, VA-Tech and W&M get the lions share of the funding from the state of Virginia. Mason gets the very least of all the state schools. If it wasn't for their killer fundraising office and all these large companies giving boat loads of money to them... you wouldn't see all these buildings going up.

Just my 2 cents... Thanks for the Pay-Check Taxpayers!

Posted by: LortonGuy ()
Date: April 12, 2011 02:10PM

The school (and in turn the state of VA) collect the royalties from Mason shirts and caps etc. Some coaches negotiate into their compensation a piece of the action on those revenues, I suspect the royalties from merhcandise sales far exceed his salary - especially in those years where he takes them deep into the tourney.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.