HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Recommendation for tree service
Posted by: Logging ()
Date: January 28, 2011 12:15PM

Anyone have a good recommendation for a tree service that will remove fallen trees and limbs and what is the average/reasonable price?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommendation for tree service
Posted by: Not stuck ()
Date: January 28, 2011 01:00PM

JL Tree service did some work for me in the past. They did a good job and were fairly priced:

http://www.jltree.com/

I imagine they're pretty swamped right now.

Posted by: Seeker ()
Date: January 28, 2011 02:30PM

Are you in a hurry? JL is good, but most of the reputable tree services are pretty busy right now and you are not going to get much of a deal. As long as the tree is not in danger of damaging your property or blocking access I might wait a couple of weeks until they are hungry for work again. Two weeks ago you might have paid half of what you will be quoted now given how slow this work tends to be during the winter.

Posted by: elsie ()
Date: January 28, 2011 05:16PM

Posted by: Well duh ()
Date: January 28, 2011 05:32PM

Google gives a list not a recommendation. Have you checked out all the guys coming up from Culpepper offering tree services? They're around right now, but I don't know how reputable they are.

Posted by: tree hugger ()
Date: January 28, 2011 07:18PM

We've used Budd's Tree Service in Burke several times.

Always very reliable, and by far the most affordable that I've found.

703-503-5462

Posted by: What we paid, etc ()
Date: January 28, 2011 07:28PM

Last year we lost a large tree near our house in the major snowstorm but left it broken for several months b/c were too busy with our jobs and family activities to deal with it until the summer.

Finally, we used a tree service that our neighbor was using--Tommy's Tree Service. I think the owner's name was Tommy Frazier.

Anyway, compared to other estimates, we thought the price for taking out 2 trees (1 about 50 feet tall; the other, about 15 feet), including the stumps, was not bad--about $950.

The crew had several trucks, seemed well-equipped and professional, and were bonded/insured (or claimed to be--and I think this was even printed on the trucks).

They worked diligently and efficiently. They ended up getting work from another neighbor as well, and none of us had any complaints.

Posted by: Trees?please ()
Date: January 28, 2011 07:51PM

Let me tell you about how these Culpeper boys tree services work if you choose to hire them.
They knock door to door, we're working in your neighborhood today....Ms. Sheila there had us do some work and blah, blah, blah. Yes ma'am we doin have insurance.
Only if they really do it's not the right one for Tree work. Alot of times they'll have a copy of a insurance certificate, only it's a useless piece of paper since they didn't pay their premiums after getting the cert! and if they drop something on your house, they're gone. OR if somebody gets hurt on your property while doing the work? Guess what , YOUR insurance gets to pay for their injuries!
Not to mention the hack work these drunks do, they shouldn't be wearing spikes to trim a tree and chopping the tops off your trees is not good for them! I don't see how anybody gets talked into letting these guys work on their property. But sure you'll save some money, maybe......
I swear all of Culpeper is one big tree hacking family!

Posted by: meep ()
Date: January 28, 2011 08:07PM

Wow, I am going to post this exact question but made some phone calls instead.
JL had SIXTY emergency calls to go through, the receptionist was very kind though, they have not called back yet. I ended up getting Simply Stumps and Davey Tree to come for estimates tomorrow and next week.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: January 28, 2011 08:19PM

I recommend Strictly Stumps, even though their name implies they only do stumps, they do all tree service stuff. Reasonable prices, and they clean up when done.

703-978-8662 or strictlystumps.com

Posted by: Teh King ()
Date: January 28, 2011 08:29PM

Shadow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recommend Strictly Stumps, even though their
> name implies they only do stumps, they do all tree
> service stuff. Reasonable prices, and they clean
> up when done.
>
> 703-978-8662 or strictlystumps.com

+1 These guys are super. Very reasonable prices and very professional.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The three enemies of the people are hegemony, monogamy, and monotony."-Terence McKenna

Posted by: stickyjames ()
Date: January 28, 2011 08:36PM

I use JL they are awsome. They deal directly with your insurance company and get aproval etc. don't tell them that Jason referred you.

Posted by: bambam ()
Date: January 28, 2011 10:43PM

only use whats in the phone book the rest are a scam

Posted by: lordfairfax ()
Date: January 28, 2011 10:58PM

We've used Tyson's Tree for years and they're very professional. However, as with any firm, now may not not be the best time to get a reasonable quote. If you can wait a few weeks, you will find competitive rates. They do a great job.

Posted by: Seeker ()
Date: January 29, 2011 09:39AM

FYI...if you live in Fairfax City they will be collecting limbs and similar debris starting today.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/fairfax-city-to-collect-tree-d.html?wprss=local-breaking-news

Posted by: *Mulch Man* ()
Date: January 29, 2011 10:27AM

RECOMMENDATION FOR TREE SERVICE :
DO NOT SHOVE THE OLIVE BRANCHES INTO THE WOOD CHIPPER WITH YOUR FOOT.

Posted by: Logging ()
Date: January 30, 2011 05:14PM

Thank you, All

Posted by: Mulch Widow ()
Date: May 26, 2015 09:41AM

ALAS, HE DID NOT FOLLOW HIS OWN ADVICE. MY HUSBAND MULCH MAN IS NO MORE.

Posted by: ...... ()
Date: May 26, 2015 11:46PM

Logging Wrote:
> Anyone have a good recommendation for a tree
> service that will remove fallen trees and limbs
> and what is the average/reasonable price?
>
> Thanks.

Anyone from culpepper.

Posted by: home owner ()
Date: May 27, 2015 08:27AM

Trees?please Wrote:
> Let me tell you about how these Culpeper boys tree
> services work if you choose to hire them.
> They knock door to door, we're working in your
> neighborhood today....Ms. Sheila there had us do
> some work and blah, blah, blah. Yes ma'am we doin
> have insurance.
> Only if they really do it's not the right one for
> Tree work. Alot of times they'll have a copy of a
> insurance certificate, only it's a useless piece
> of paper since they didn't pay their premiums
> after getting the cert! and if they drop something
> on your house, they're gone. OR if somebody gets
> hurt on your property while doing the work? Guess
> what , YOUR insurance gets to pay for their
> injuries!
> Not to mention the hack work these drunks do, they
> shouldn't be wearing spikes to trim a tree and
> chopping the tops off your trees is not good for
> them! I don't see how anybody gets talked into
> letting these guys work on their property. But
> sure you'll save some money, maybe......
> I swear all of Culpeper is one big tree hacking
> family!

+100

My neighbor hired some of these meth heads to take down some oaks one of which was about 80 ft tall and leaning over the middle of his house. How did the culpeper boys accomplish the task? They tied a rope around the upper trunk to an adjacent, taller oak tree and then cut the tree at the bottom, allowing the whole thing to dangle from a single rope next to the house. These geniuses then just cut pieces off the bottom lowering it down until it was mostly gone. Miraculously nothing bad happened, though they did manage to destroy a section of my fence later in the day which I made my neighbor replace.

I have had twin oak tree care out and they were reasonable and knowledgeable. Had another fellow, forgot his name but my wife caught one of his beaners pissing under our deck. I suppose that was better than letting the savage into our house....

Posted by: relogging ()
Date: July 23, 2015 01:45PM

Read this thread. Advice was helpful.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/497529.html

Posted by: Arborist ()
Date: July 23, 2015 05:28PM

Any old Hispanic will do an excellent job of cutting down a tree. Just grab the first one you see and offer them $20 and a bag of tacos.

Posted by: My Choice ()
Date: July 23, 2015 06:12PM

I support a gay tree business - "The Chainsaw Caballeros" They are a troupe of 6 men in black spandex and wearing tree cutting tools on a belts. They appear on the job wielding chainsaws, and perform basic acrobatic moves while perform the task at hand.

Posted by: Gkmdd ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:01PM

DiY or hire a legitimate trained denizen not an illegal

yea - $50 show $25 cut something not big deal

for some pruning treework it could $100 but can be $1500 to $2000 if they have to climb high and it's both a bitch and dangerous (and requires knowlege about pruning). "widower limbs"

some companies might have special truch / equipment but they aren't going to lend it and aren't goign to give much discount - it's for their savings not yours

a large tree can be $1500 $2000 to totally cut down / clear if it's not a danger to a home (including cleanup). if it is a huge tree and a danger. figure two or more workers a few days AT LEAST that gonna run thousands.

Posted by: xcTmk ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:02PM

it's all about $$ - which is best when

serves you right for letting a tree grow next to a house. don't.

Posted by: no rebel yell ()
Date: July 23, 2015 08:08PM

I saw one in the neighborhood called Good Ole Bozy Tree Service from Culpeper. Can they really underbid the locals from Sterling, Chantilly, etc.?

Posted by: iLester ()
Date: July 23, 2015 08:11PM

Going rate that I've been quoted is about $235/hr for a crew of 3. They probably tack on some charges for cleanup and disposal which doesn't require a climber.

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: July 23, 2015 08:53PM

no rebel yell Wrote:
> I saw one in the neighborhood called Good Ole Bozy
> Tree Service from Culpeper. Can they really
> underbid the locals from Sterling, Chantilly,
> etc.?

Good Ole Bozy will be hightailing it back to Culpeper when they do something that causes a big mess -- dropping something on your neighbor's home, etc.

I always get three estimates -- they can really be all over the place -- then go with the low bid from a bonded and insured company.

Posted by: XwHhj ()
Date: July 23, 2015 09:37PM

235 * 8 * 3 is 5640 is $1880 / soft day each

they must be tree doctors or really good pole huggers at that price

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: July 23, 2015 10:12PM

Not arguing with Blanche, just sayin' dept:

We had a bunch of work done about ten years ago. We got three companies in: a local arborist firm, someone else from the Yellow Pages, and one of the good ole boys who come through the neighborhood. Remarkably, all quoted basically the same price (within $100 for over $1500 of work). We went with the arborist. I was amazed that they could stare at the tree and quote that consistently. Still clearly good advice to get multiple estimates, and yes, insurance is key!

We've had a bunch of minor work done since by one of the good ole boys, Carroll Williams. I think I have his number somewhere, will dig it up. I Googled him last time I needed him, couldn't find him, though there is a tree service in Flint Hill, VA that *sounds* like him (but wasn't).

Posted by: walkehdied ()
Date: July 23, 2015 11:08PM

It depends on a lot of factors. We had to get a fallen tree removed from a house back in approximately the 2005-2007 period. Obviously, extra care is required to avoid further damage to the house. We used a group from Rappahannock who was recommended by our realtor. They charged about $1700 to remove the tree which had to be at least 50-60 feet tall.

Posted by: KPW ()
Date: July 23, 2015 11:20PM

Hire the "local contractor." He's got a low overhead.

Posted by: wutang gland ()
Date: July 23, 2015 11:34PM

I saw a flier at a DC nightclub for a group of able looking, lumberjack looking men, and I think it was a tree service because they were advertised as the Log Jammers.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.