HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 189
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: word ()
Date: November 05, 2007 05:33PM

go to fcps.edu, click on "Schools and Centers", enter in the school name and click Find, click on "Profile", click on the tab "Safe and Secure"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: runner69 ()
Date: November 05, 2007 06:13PM

Thomas More Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > >>>No, actually they don't. Most TJ sports
> don't
> > have enough kids going out for their teams. And
> > not knowing the other kids in the school is a
> > why.<<<
> >
> > Totally wrong. Kids who go to TJ don't go for
> the
> > sports. Nor do their parents send them to TJ
> to
> > play sports. Surely you don't think all those
> > geeks on the math team and computer team and
> the
> > physics team really want to play football.
>
> Then who is it with all those bumper stickers with
> "Thomas Jeferson Technical High School we came for
> the sports"? A bunch of imposters?

hey idiot just look at the results from last Thursday's regional cross country boys were FIRST they beat the boys from cougar land and the girls did well also. This is a redistricting issue lets focus on that. get STUpid Gibson out and Kathy Smith out and this thing will go away. give the new board a chance and they will listen to a civilized discussion from the community

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: November 05, 2007 06:26PM

runner69 Wrote:

> hey idiot . . . a
> civilized discussion from the community

Look whose talking

Date: November 05, 2007 06:42PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:
> -----
> > OK, Tom, we get it. All I'm saying is that if
> > many parents come to the boundary meetings and
> > express preference for AP, I think it will make
> a
> > difference. Call me naive, but this is what I
> > think. It certainly can't hurt to try.
>
> I sorry SLPP if you think I went overboard. Just
> saying please will not be nearly enough.

OK, what do you suggest? Should we storm the building? :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 07:03PM by South Lakes Pyramid parent.

Date: November 05, 2007 07:11PM

South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:

> OK, what do you suggest?

1) Get a specific commitment on a plebicite of all families scheduled to be attending SL in 2012. That means families with kids in 5th grade now and excluding families in the Classes '09,'10, '11 who won't be there in 3 years. Send mailers with info on both programs prepared by advocates of each alternative. One vote for each kid. If less than 50% of the 2100 projected kids vote to keep IB, then it gets phased out over the next three years and replaced by AP. If not enough votes are mailed in, then IB stays.

This would get the community invested into the issue and discussing the future of SL.

2) Get a specific list of AP courses to be instituted over the next 3 years with more AP courses added each year as enrollment grows. Have the courses identified with specificity now.

3) storm the buildiing ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 07:12PM by Thomas More.

Posted by: runner69 ()
Date: November 05, 2007 08:29PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> runner69 Wrote:
> -----
>
> > hey idiot . . . a
> > civilized discussion from the community
>
> Look whose talking

I'm glad my children don't go to school with your children More, you are a first class Northern Virginia jacka%^

Date: November 05, 2007 08:58PM

runner69 Wrote:
> I'm glad my children don't go to school with your
> children More, you are a first class Northern
> Virginia jacka%^

Is this More of your civilized discussion?

Is this how kids at TJ engage in an exchange of ideas?

Oh, and I'm not from No. VA.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 09:03PM by Thomas More.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: November 05, 2007 09:08PM

Stu LOVES IB and couldn't care less what parents or students want. South Lakes will become an AP school over Stu's dead body.

Does that work for anyone here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 09:12PM by Neen.

Date: November 05, 2007 09:11PM

Thomas More,
Surely you don't think that Stu Gibson would let the community decide, do you? Democrats don't like that, THEY know what is best for everyone. They like to decide what the little people should get.

Date: November 05, 2007 09:14PM

Thomas,
>>>Oh, and I'm not from No. VA.<<<

Neither is anyone else. But I'm not sure how that is relevant. We live here now.

Posted by: TOStito ()
Date: November 05, 2007 09:33PM

Neen Wrote:
> Thomas More,
> Surely you don't think that Stu Gibson would let
> the community decide, do you? Democrats don't
> like that, THEY know what is best for everyone.
> They like to decide what the little people should
> get.

Republicans seem to think they know whats best for everyone too (coughBUSHcough). Its called being a politician. They're all scum.

Date: November 05, 2007 09:38PM

Many are hoping SL stays with IB. That's their exit plan.

Posted by: Informed voter ()
Date: November 05, 2007 09:52PM

ENOUGH is ENOUGH! Christine Arakelian, AKA - Neen, you are fooling no one! You would think a candidate would have something better to do than plug herself all day on a blog. You don't have my vote!

Date: November 05, 2007 10:03PM

Informed voter Wrote:
> ENOUGH is ENOUGH! Christine Arakelian, AKA -
> Neen, you are fooling no one! You would think a
> candidate would have something better to do than
> plug herself all day on a blog. You don't have my
> vote!

Neen is not Christine. She is too busy to be on a blog all night. Give it up Stu. You're goin' down tomorrow.

Posted by: Informed voter ()
Date: November 05, 2007 10:09PM

Boy are you way off. I am not Stu Gibson but I will vote for him. Goodbye!

Date: November 05, 2007 10:49PM

Neen Wrote:
> Stu LOVES IB and couldn't care less what parents
> or students want. South Lakes will become an AP
> school over Stu's dead body.
>
We're arranging for his political funereal tomorrow

Posted by: Dunk ()
Date: November 05, 2007 10:54PM

word Wrote:
> Many are hoping SL stays with IB. That's their
> exit plan.

Word, bugger off. You add nothing to the discussion. Same for Neen and Thomas. All three say the same things over and over and over again. For that reason, I think this site has jumped the shark.

Date: November 05, 2007 11:02PM

Dunk Wrote:
> word Wrote:
> -----
> > Many are hoping SL stays with IB. That's their
> > exit plan.
>
> Word, bugger off. You add nothing to the
> discussion. Same for Neen and Thomas. All three
> say the same things over and over and over again.
> For that reason, I think this site has jumped the
> shark.

Wow that was a profound contribution. Thanks eversomuch.

How did we ever get along without you these last 11 days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 11:06PM by Thomas More.

Posted by: APorIBMom ()
Date: November 06, 2007 12:53AM

Here is some information for South Lakes parents about how selected colleges view the IB and AP math courses, given the upcoming meeting on IB/AP.

FCPS has not been honest about differences between IB and AP math classes. Contrary to the FCPS math sequence charts, IB Standard Level Math is honors precalculus with extra statistics. And, colleges almost never consider IB Higher Level Math as equivalent to AP Calculus BC. Rather, they usually treat IB HL Math as equivalent to AP Calc AB, which corresponds to the 1st semester of college calculus. AP Calc BC corresponds to the first two semesters.

This pattern is seen at almost all selective colleges around the United States. At U VA, for example, students who score 4/5 or 5/5 on the A{ Calculus BC exam get credit for both Math 131 and Math 132. Students who take IB SL Math never get college credit. Students who take IB HL Math and score 5+/7 get credit for Math 131 but not Math 132. Selective private universities almost universally adopt the same type of approach.

Most students do not use their AP or IB tests to graduate early (although some do, usually to save money). But getting credit for the introductory college classes is useful for other reasons. It lets students place into more advanced classes, which often are smaller. And, it gives them more flexibility in choosing classes and majors.

This year, about 1000 7th grade students in FCPS are taking Algebra 1. Presumably, there are at least 40 at Hughes, if not more. If those students attend an AP high school, many will take AP Calculus BC in 11th grade and post-AP Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra in 12th grade. If they attend an IB high school, however, at most they will complete IB HL Math in 12th grade.

Parents should check the web sites of a few colleges to see how they treat IB versus AP classes, especially in math and science. Every college has its own system, and it's not always easy to find the relevant information. It's worth the effort, though, especially if your child might major in math or science.

Date: November 06, 2007 02:02AM

Informed voter,

No STU, I am not Christine. She's far too busy to be here as much as I am! Perhaps you should be worrying more your campaign, than trying to guess who I am. Several people here, from South Lakes, have told you I am not Christine. Believe them.

Why do you have such a problem with the facts?

Oops, nevermind. I can answer that. So can everyone else.

Date: November 06, 2007 02:05AM

APorIBMom,
Great post on the facts about IB/AP math courses. You said that it's good to check out the facts if your child is likely to major in math or science. Add to that, any student who might want to major in any engineering and/or computer science. AP-BC calculus and multi var are important for those majors too.

Date: November 06, 2007 02:09AM

>>>>Boy are you way off. I am not Stu Gibson but I will vote for him. Goodbye!<<<<

Oh good, that's at least ONE vote for you! Don't count on too many more. You don't appear to be very well liked by democrats or republicans. It would appear that you are even less popular in your district than Kathy Hudgins.

Date: November 06, 2007 03:28AM

Cricket,
>>>My first guess is Stu will be gone.<<<<

I can't tell you how much I love to hear that, almost as much as our friend Christine.

After that, the others don't matter because Christine will open up the discussion.

Date: November 06, 2007 03:29AM

To get information on the schools, including behavior:

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

Posted by: A. Parent ()
Date: November 06, 2007 04:48AM

"Most students do not use their AP or IB tests to graduate early (although some do, usually to save money). But getting credit for the introductory college classes is useful for other reasons. It lets students place into more advanced classes, which often are smaller. And, it gives them more flexibility in choosing classes and majors."

Great point! My kids have used their AP credits and have not had to take several freshman classes. One could graduate early this semester; however, he wants to have a double major and to "relax," taking a course called Wines and Vines.

This discussion thread has been extremely interesting and informative. And to think that I once wanted to live in a "planned" community...

Date: November 06, 2007 07:58AM

Johns Hopkins University demonstrates another way that colleges distinguish between AP and IB courses: they sometimes require higher scores on AP than on IB HL classes for the same amount of credit.

For example, a 4 or 5 in AP Chem or AP Biology is worth 8 credits. A 6 or 7 in IB HL Chem or IB HL Biology is worth 8 credits. At least in FCPS, a higher percentage of kids score 4+ on AP exams than 6+ on IB HL exams. Remember, FCPS normally reports only the percentage of kids with "passing" scores of 3+ on the AP tests and 4+ on the IB tests (and includes IB SL tests in those press releases). That data is not useful. Parents need to know how many scored 6 or 7 on each HL test.

JHU also recognizes that IB has a math class that is comparable to AP Calc BC, IB Further Math SL, which is not offered in FCPS. At JHU, scoring a 3 on AP Calc BC gets you 4 credits and scoring 4 or 5 gets you 8 credits. IB SL Math gets you nothing. A 6+/7 in HL Math is worth 4 credits. Taking HL Math with Further Math and getting a 5 is worth 4 credits. BUT, taking HL Math with Further Math and scoring 6 or 7 is worth 8 credits. Just like taking AP Calculus BC.

Posted by: VOTER ()
Date: November 06, 2007 08:43AM

Attachments:
hmill.jpg
sully.jpg

Date: November 06, 2007 08:44AM

James Madison University, which is less selective than U VA, gives 3 credits to chem majors who took IB SL Chem and scored a 6 (which places them out of Chem 131). It gives 6 credits to chem majors who score a 5+ on IB HL Chem, which places them out of Chem 131 and 132. It gives the same 8 credits (for Chem 131 and 132) to chem majors who score 4 or 5 on the AP Chem test. Different rules apply for students who are not chemistry majors; in general they get more credit.

JMU's faculty don't seem to think much of IB HL Math. A 5+ in HL Math is worth 3 credits in Math 135, which seems to be roughly precalc. In contrast, a 4+ in AP Calc AB is worth 4 credits and is equivalent to Math 235, the 1st semester calculus class. A 4+ in AP Calc BC is worth 8 credits, and is equivalent to Math 235 plus Math 236, or the first 2 semesters of college calculus.

My goal in posting specifics from three different colleges is to illustrate how important it is to check college web sites. Within those web sites, do a search for "IB Credit." It's usually easier to find the information on AP credit.

Once you've done your research, think about what matters to your child. For a budding art historian or international relations major, IB may be better than AP. But for a budding math/science major, AP might be better than IB.

Posted by: early rider:) ()
Date: November 06, 2007 10:08AM

A look at the early returns it appears STUpid Gibson is on his way out as is Kathy "Flip FLop" Smith. Voters keep up the good work!! Redistricting is done thank you ARAKELIAM AND LITZ WELL DONE!!

Date: November 06, 2007 10:12AM

Results are not available until after the polls close at 7pm.

The primary source for local unofficial election returns for the Nov. 6 General and Special Elections will be the Fairfax County Web site at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/eb and Fairfax County Government Channel 16. Returns will be updated throughout the night as the county’s 226 precincts report in.

For complete unofficial returns for the Virginia Senate and House of Delegates districts and the constitutional offices (Clerk of Court, Commonwealth’s Attorney and Sheriff) that are shared with neighboring jurisdictions, visit the State Board of Elections Web site at http://www.sbe.virginia.gov.

Posted by: another mom ()
Date: November 06, 2007 02:01PM

APorIBMom Wrote:
> James Madison University, which is less selective than U VA, gives 3 credits to chem majors who took IB SL Chem and scored a 6 (which places them out of Chem 131). It gives 6 credits to chem majors who score a 5+ on IB HL Chem, which places them out of Chem 131 and 132. It gives the same 8 credits (for Chem 131 and 132) to chem majors who score 4 or 5 on the AP Chem test. Different rules apply for students who are not chemistry majors; in general they get more credit.

> JMU's faculty don't seem to think much of IB HL Math. A 5+ in HL Math is worth 3 credits in Math 135, which seems to be roughly precalc. In contrast, a 4+ in AP Calc AB is worth 4 credits and is equivalent to Math 235, the 1st semester calculus class. A 4+ in AP Calc BC is worth 8 credits, and is equivalent to Math 235 plus Math 236, or the first 2 semesters of college calculus.
>
My goal in posting specifics from three different colleges is to illustrate how important it is to check college web sites. Within those web sites, do a search for "IB Credit." It's usually easier to find the information on AP credit.
Once you've done your research, think about what matters to your child. For a budding art historian or international relations major, IB may be better than AP. But for a budding math/science major, AP might be better than IB.

--------------

Thank you for the research....perhaps you ought to bring these facts at next's week meeting....I do work for a major university that corroborates your findings,so I do have first hand knowledge of what you are describing above. However, if your kids go to SL, I am afraid that they won't have the choice of selecting AP courses since it only offers IB, and no matter how much people root for it, it DOES matter when they are ready for college, and in this area most of kids I happened to know are in the match/science majors.

Thanks again, and hope to see you there!

Date: November 06, 2007 02:22PM

Another Mom,
I think the points about AP being better for math and science are valid, from what I can tell. Bruce Butler IS talking about adding AP classes where appropriate--perhaps adding the higher level math AP would be appropriate.

The issue is that South Lakes can't add AP classes UNTIL the redistricting happens and we have the numbers of students needed, and we know what classes will be in demand.

Posted by: PAL ()
Date: November 06, 2007 03:36PM

Neen & Others,

I distributed flyers for the Stoprd.com cause and I obviously hope for the best of results. However, don't think that this will be over that easy. Without predicting election results I don't see a scenario where this boundary change issue simply goes away. We have a fight ahead of us regarless.

If we don't plan on finishing the game then we will lose out to those that continue to organize and strongly voice their opposition. Please be prepared to open your checkbooks and donate your time. We are very happy at Oakton and are willing to fight to stay there.

Posted by: hmmm07 ()
Date: November 06, 2007 03:58PM

South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:
> Another Mom,
> I think the points about AP being better for math
> and science are valid, from what I can tell.
> Bruce Butler IS talking about adding AP classes
> where appropriate--perhaps adding the higher level
> math AP would be appropriate.
>
> The issue is that South Lakes can't add AP classes
> UNTIL the redistricting happens and we have the
> numbers of students needed, and we know what
> classes will be in demand.

But won't that take a few years? I dont' think it is possible to just decide to implement an AP program and have it in effect with teachers hired a few months later. What happens to the kids who get moved to that school while they are waiting to get that rolling? It is my understanding that, hopefully, they will phase in this change beginning with 9th graders, and not moving anyone who has already begun high school somewhere else. That means it will be 3-4 years before the population at South Lakes is where they want it to be...if everyone goes...which is also doubtful. So I can't imagine the kids who get put there the first few years are going to have any more course offerings than they were already offering there to begin with.

Date: November 06, 2007 04:02PM

PAL Wrote:
> Neen & Others,
>
> I distributed flyers for the Stoprd.com cause and
> I obviously hope for the best of results. However,
> don't think that this will be over that easy.
> Without predicting election results I don't see a
> scenario where this boundary change issue simply
> goes away. We have a fight ahead of us regarless.
>
> If we don't plan on finishing the game then we
> will lose out to those that continue to organize
> and strongly voice their opposition. Please be
> prepared to open your checkbooks and donate your
> time. We are very happy at Oakton and are willing
> to fight to stay there.

Absolutely. I do hope that if the best case scenario happens, and we get people elected who are willing to take another look at this whole process, that it won't mean that we all relax. I cannot imagine that they will abandon the process and the plan to move kids to South Lakes entirely. But it would be nice if they really take a closer look at all the data AND LISTEN TO THE CITIZENS, before decisions are made.

Posted by: CHS Parent ()
Date: November 06, 2007 04:09PM

Chantilly parents feel the same way. We are very happy at Chantilly and are willing to fight to stay there. WE DO NOT WANT TO BE A DOMINO IN THE SCHOOL BOARD'S GAME.

Posted by: WHS Parent ()
Date: November 06, 2007 04:26PM

I spent the entire morning at the polls for StopRD. The traffic was brisk and we hopefully influenced many voters. Stu Gibson actually had the audacity to show up as well and was promptly shut out. He even got into with another representative showing his ignorance and total arrogance -- what a jerk! He's got to go!!!!

We all want to stay at our schools. We've been through this too many times! Leave us alone FCPS. Hopefully we'll make a change in our "leadership" today and bring back the reputation that FCPS once had!

We don't want to change high schools . . . AGAIN! Leave us at Westfield!

GO BULLDOGS!

Date: November 06, 2007 04:37PM

Kathy Smith will surely be voted out of office. I am hopeful that Stu Gibson will as well. The at-large seats were very close last election, separated by hundreds of votes out of 80,000 a piece - so let's hope Braunlich, Raney, and Costantino are in as well. -- Thanks to the good people of StopRD!

Let's remember the clowns that are shown the door will remain in office until Dec 31, creating all sorts of problems as they show a vindictive side to their unhappy constituants. They however will not get to vote on any of this, but they will be influencing the scenarios that are drawn up.

Everyone I know is willing to do whatever it takes.

Posted by: Cougar ()
Date: November 06, 2007 05:23PM

StopRD was out in full force at Oak Hill ES and were professional in handing out the flyers. I observed many people stop and take one and say thank you for the effort. Litz I think is in, the Smith person there couldn't give away redskin tickets. Nobody was listening to her. We can't stop with this one win though we must move throught the next three meetings as an organized group. Oakton/Westfield/Chantilly/Herndon UNITE!!!! We can battle on the sports field for years lets keep it that way. Let's stand together and win this one for our children to keep them were they are.

Posted by: one more voter ()
Date: November 06, 2007 06:26PM

I just came back from voting....and for the looks of the long line...the votes went to....NOT STU!!!
I engaged in several talks with the voters and everyone of them came to vote for
Christine....hopefully the jerk is being voted off.

Posted by: SLParent ()
Date: November 06, 2007 06:49PM

I am glad to hear that one group was professional in handing out materials. My son was volunteering this morning at Floris and had to listen to parent volunteer bash SLHS all morning by swearing and calling the SL students hoodlums.

Since he's a senior and loves SL this was very hard for him to listen to during the morning. I am proud to say he was the "bigger" person and didn't argue with the parent during his volunteer time. He politely approached the adult when voters were not around and explained that South Lakes is a good school.

Please keep the kids out of the ugliness. I understand everyone is upset but he enjoys his school and has tremendous pride in SL. It's not his fault that FCPS is going to redistrict your families to his school.

Date: November 06, 2007 06:59PM

SLParent Wrote:
> I am glad to hear that one group was professional
> in handing out materials. My son was volunteering
> this morning at Floris and had to listen to parent
> volunteer bash SLHS all morning by swearing and
> calling the SL students hoodlums.
>
> Since he's a senior and loves SL this was very
> hard for him to listen to during the morning. I
> am proud to say he was the "bigger" person and
> didn't argue with the parent during his volunteer
> time. He politely approached the adult when
> voters were not around and explained that South
> Lakes is a good school.
>
> Please keep the kids out of the ugliness. I
> understand everyone is upset but he enjoys his
> school and has tremendous pride in SL. It's not
> his fault that FCPS is going to redistrict your
> families to his school.

I'm sorry your son had to listen to that when he was there giving freely of his time. As badly as I want my kids to stay at Oakton, I do understand your concerns that the kids should definitely not be broad brushed. My daughter has been volunteering at the polls as well today. I will be interested to hear her take on the situation as her precinct was a South Lakes feeder school.

Posted by: Concerned Rachel Carson Parent ()
Date: November 06, 2007 08:10PM

APorIBMom Wrote:
> Johns Hopkins University demonstrates another way
> that colleges distinguish between AP and IB
> courses: they sometimes require higher scores on
> AP than on IB HL classes for the same amount of
> credit.
>
> For example, a 4 or 5 in AP Chem or AP Biology is
> worth 8 credits. A 6 or 7 in IB HL Chem or IB HL
> Biology is worth 8 credits. At least in FCPS, a
> higher percentage of kids score 4+ on AP exams
> than 6+ on IB HL exams. Remember, FCPS normally
> reports only the percentage of kids with "passing"
> scores of 3+ on the AP tests and 4+ on the IB
> tests (and includes IB SL tests in those press
> releases). That data is not useful. Parents need
> to know how many scored 6 or 7 on each HL test.
>
> JHU also recognizes that IB has a math class that
> is comparable to AP Calc BC, IB Further Math SL,
> which is not offered in FCPS. At JHU, scoring a 3
> on AP Calc BC gets you 4 credits and scoring 4 or
> 5 gets you 8 credits. IB SL Math gets you
> nothing. A 6+/7 in HL Math is worth 4 credits.
> Taking HL Math with Further Math and getting a 5
> is worth 4 credits. BUT, taking HL Math with
> Further Math and scoring 6 or 7 is worth 8
> credits. Just like taking AP Calculus BC.

The fact that a university requires a "higher score" for IB is irrelevant. The score is on an arbitrary scale! I do believe, however, that your statement "At least in FCPS, a higher percentage of kids score 4+ on AP exams than 6+ on IB HL exams." is potentially relevant. Can you provide the source for the statement? Thanks.

By the way, here is my sampling of schools and credit that can be awarded for AP Math B/C and for IB HL Math:

School AP IB
UVA 131/132 131/200T
William and Mary 111/112 111/112
VA Tech 1205/1206 1205/1206
Johns Hopkins 8 credits 4 credits
MIT 12 units 12 units
Cal Tech None None
Michigan 8 credits 8 credits
Cornell 8 credits 4 credits
RPI 8 credits 4 credits
Yale 2 credits None
Georgia Tech 4 credits 4 credits

I got the information from the admissions section of each school's website. This list shows the maximum credit given (sometimes requires higher than passing scores on the applicable test). There are schools that award more credit for AP than for IB, but some notable schools award equal amounts.

Date: November 06, 2007 10:21PM

A few years ago, FCPS staff distributed data about 2003-04 AP and IB scores county-wide for each AP and IB test, at the GT Advisory Committee. The source was IT/EIS/DS - November 2004.

124 FCPS students were taking HL Math. 4 scored 7, 10 scored 6, 12 scored 5, and 21 scored 4. The rest had scores of 1 to 3.

974 FCPS students were taking Calc BC. 394 scored 5, 184 scored 4, 185 scored 3, and the rest had scores of 1 or 2.

1330 FCPS students were taking Calc AB. 181 scored 5, 231 scored 4, 234 scored 3, and the rest had scores of 1 or 2.

In January 2006, Bernie Glaze distributed data for 2004-05 at GTAC.

108 students were taking HL Math. 2 scored 7, 7 scored 6, 17 scored 5, and the rest scored from 1 to 4.

1063 were taking Calc BC. 543 scored 5, 185 scored 4, 187 scored 3, and the rest scored 1 or 2.

1432 were taking Calc AB. 291 scored 5, 287 scored 4, 258 scored 3, and the rest scored 1 or 2.

Moving from math to science, 126 FCPS students took HL Biology that year. 2 scored 7, 9 scored 6, 27 scored 5, 51 scored 4 and 37 scored 3.

886 FCPS students took AP Biology. 222 scored 5, 181 scored 4, 180 scored 3, 212 scored 2 and 91 scored 1.

Date: November 06, 2007 10:30PM

WE ARE HOSED!

ELECTION RETURNS INDICATE KATHY AND STU WILL BE COMING BACK. INDEPENDENTS - MOON, HONE AND RANEY (close).

THOSE ON THE CUTTING LINES VOTED HEAVILY FOR THE CHALLEGERS, NO HELP FROM THE SAFE DISTRICTS NEAR THE HS.

TIME FOR PLAN B.

Date: November 06, 2007 10:44PM

word Wrote:
> WE ARE HOSED!
>
> ELECTION RETURNS INDICATE KATHY AND STU WILL BE
> COMING BACK. INDEPENDENTS - MOON, HONE AND RANEY
> (close).
>
> THOSE ON THE CUTTING LINES VOTED HEAVILY FOR THE
> CHALLEGERS, NO HELP FROM THE SAFE DISTRICTS NEAR
> THE HS.
>
> TIME FOR PLAN B.

which is what exactly?

Posted by: Cricket ()
Date: November 06, 2007 10:44PM

word Wrote:
> WE ARE HOSED!
>
> (close).
>
> THE HS.
>
> TIME FOR PLAN B.

and that is?

Date: November 06, 2007 10:46PM

@ 10:44....

"...which is what exactly?"

"...and that is?"

Fancy That!

Date: November 06, 2007 10:55PM

word Wrote:
> WE ARE HOSED!
>
> (close).
>
> THE HS.
>
And, even more disappointing...I had my "Wizard of Oz" soundtrack set and ready to play "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" hmmm, rats.

Date: November 06, 2007 10:57PM

I guess, it's show up to the meetings and be vocal... and don't expect any help from your fellow HS people that are not in jeapordy. As the election results bear out, this is only an issue for those of us on the cutting line. For example Fox Mill voted for Christine 2:1. Other parts of HMILL are the opposite. Oak Hill ES the same thing.

I've got alot of respect for the Herndon people because they are unified - no changes to borders. CHS, OHS, WSFS - no such unification. They don't give a damn as long as doesn't affect them.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: November 06, 2007 10:57PM

See, instead of bloviating on here for weeks....you could have been holding bake sales to fund your futile legal challenge of the re-ddistricting.

Oh well, Goodbye Chantilly and Oakton and HELLO South Lakes!

Date: November 06, 2007 10:59PM

APorIBMom Wrote:
> A few years ago, FCPS staff distributed data about
> 2003-04 AP and IB scores county-wide for each AP
> and IB test, at the GT Advisory Committee. The
> source was IT/EIS/DS - November 2004.
>
> 124 FCPS students were taking HL Math. 4 scored
> 7, 10 scored 6, 12 scored 5, and 21 scored 4. The
> rest had scores of 1 to 3.
>
> 974 FCPS students were taking Calc BC. 394 scored
> 5, 184 scored 4, 185 scored 3, and the rest had
> scores of 1 or 2.
>
> 1330 FCPS students were taking Calc AB. 181
> scored 5, 231 scored 4, 234 scored 3, and the rest
> had scores of 1 or 2.
>
> In January 2006, Bernie Glaze distributed data for
> 2004-05 at GTAC.
>
> 108 students were taking HL Math. 2 scored 7, 7
> scored 6, 17 scored 5, and the rest scored from 1
> to 4.
>
> 1063 were taking Calc BC. 543 scored 5, 185
> scored 4, 187 scored 3, and the rest scored 1 or
> 2.
>
> 1432 were taking Calc AB. 291 scored 5, 287
> scored 4, 258 scored 3, and the rest scored 1 or
> 2.
>
> Moving from math to science, 126 FCPS students
> took HL Biology that year. 2 scored 7, 9 scored
> 6, 27 scored 5, 51 scored 4 and 37 scored 3.
>
> 886 FCPS students took AP Biology. 222 scored 5,
> 181 scored 4, 180 scored 3, 212 scored 2 and 91
> scored 1.

Thanks for the great info! If we assume that an AP Calculus BC score 4 is approximately equal to an IB HL score 5 (Virginia Tech), it is quite clear that students who take FCPS AP are better prepared for their tests than those who take IB. Of course, we cannot tell if this is due to:

- AP teachers are better than IB teachers
- AP students are better than IB students
- AP curriculum better prepares students for their tests than does the IB curriculum

It does support the conclusion that a student is more likely to get college credit for math if he/she takes AP than IB in Fairfax County.

Date: November 06, 2007 11:08PM

>
> I've got alot of respect for the Herndon people
> because they are unified - no changes to borders.
> CHS, OHS, WSFS - no such unification. They don't
> give a damn as long as doesn't affect them.

Well, it does affect the bubbleheads. they just don't get that at the moment. of course when they do, it will be too late.

Date: November 06, 2007 11:09PM

Concerned Rachel Carson Parent Wrote:
> APorIBMom Wrote:

How about if you 2 start a new "I love AP/IB" topic?

Date: November 06, 2007 11:15PM

Msg for Stu...

Take ALDRIN instead of FOX MILL they won't mind. (way to show up at the polls Fox Mill - huge turnout)

229 - FOX MILL
Last Reported: Nov 6 2007 10:34PM EST
Christine A. Arakelian 1,033 63.64%
Stuart D. Gibson 590 36.35%
Write In 0 0%

234 - ALDRIN
Last Reported: Nov 6 2007 10:53PM EST
Christine A. Arakelian 473 39.25%
Stuart D. Gibson 731 60.66%
Write In 1 0.08%

Date: November 06, 2007 11:24PM

Cricket Wrote:
> Concerned Rachel Carson Parent Wrote:
> -----
> > APorIBMom Wrote:
>
>
> How about if you 2 start a new "I love AP/IB"
> topic?

Right after you start a new topic on the election... These are all topics that are relevant to the redistricting. If my child is going to take out of a planned track to Oakton and instead sent to South Lakes, I want to understand how that will impact him. Sorry if that is too much trouble for you.

Date: November 06, 2007 11:27PM

word Wrote:
> Msg for Stu...
>
> Take ALDRIN instead of FOX MILL they won't mind.
> (way to show up at the polls Fox Mill - huge
> turnout)
>
> 229 - FOX MILL
> Last Reported: Nov 6 2007 10:34PM EST
> Christine A. Arakelian 1,033 63.64%
> Stuart D. Gibson 590 36.35%
> Write In 0 0%
>
> 234 - ALDRIN
> Last Reported: Nov 6 2007 10:53PM EST
> Christine A. Arakelian 473 39.25%
> Stuart D. Gibson 731 60.66%
> Write In 1 0.08%

Aldrin voted for Stu because he had promised to keep them in Herndon. Aldrin ain't moving anywhere.

Date: November 06, 2007 11:31PM

Concerned Rachel Carson Parent Wrote:
> Cricket Wrote:
> -----
> > Concerned Rachel Carson Parent Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > APorIBMom Wrote:
> >
> >
> > How about if you 2 start a new "I love AP/IB"
> > topic?
>
> Right after you start a new topic on the
> election... These are all topics that are
> relevant to the redistricting. If my child is
> going to take out of a planned track to Oakton and
> instead sent to South Lakes, I want to understand
> how that will impact him. Sorry if that is too
> much trouble for you.

Not suggesting that it is trouble. Just thinking it is a topic that could stand on its own and would attract more viewers who might weigh in on the discussion (those who don't necessarily care about redistricting and who might be able to share more data on AP/IB--this is a big county, you know).

What is troubling though, is your snotty reply.

Date: November 06, 2007 11:36PM

Thomas - Yes it would be just like Stu to F*CK his constituants in this way.

Date: November 06, 2007 11:37PM

PLAN B - A unified Reston / ALDRIN GOES TO SOUTH LAKES

Date: November 07, 2007 12:04AM

word Wrote:
> PLAN B - A unified Reston / ALDRIN GOES TO SOUTH
> LAKES

That has been my objective from the beginning of this process. This morning I believe there is no hope of that outcome.

It's most likely the island, Fox Mill and McNair south of the Toll Road to SL. Those numbers work if the numbers from McNair south of Toll Road are 350.

Stu is just that craven and cynical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2007 01:33AM by Thomas More.

Posted by: SLMom ()
Date: November 07, 2007 01:46AM

I am frankly sickened by the attitude of some of the posters toward South Lakes. We have been in Reston for 30 years and both of my children have been in the South Lakes pyramid. My son graduated in 2001. At that point the school was in a decline with a number of gang-related incidents, yet he managed to get through school unscathed and graduate with his friends. The most positive part of his experience was his Assistant Principal, Bruce Butler, who was unfailing interested in the kids' well-being and insisted on open communications between teachers, administration and parents. As an assistant principal he was limited in his ability to make some of these things happen. As an example, I had one teacher who told me she refused to talk to parents after school hours, although she wasn't really available during school hours either. (As the wife of a teacher, I know that sometimes evening calls are necessary). The principal's office didn't seem to think that was a problem.

My daughter is a Junior at South Lakes now and couldn't be happier with the situation. Bruce has made huge strides in communications between staff and parents and the teachers currently at the school seem to be making a real effort to work with the students and their parents. There's also a real willingness to listen to parent and student input regarding teachers who aren't pulling their weight, exhibit a lack of teaching skills, or show a lack of concern for their students. We've seen some leave in the past two years as a result of this. Discipline for students has also improved hugely. Infractions that were tolerated or ignored during the previous administration were addressed. The improvements are obvious to all of us and enthusiasm for the school is on a decided upswing (as are our SAT scores).

I'm truly insulted by the attitude of some posters, as they imply that my sending my child to South Lakes means that I don't care for her safety or the quality of her education. What arrogance is displayed in questioning the judgment of all South Lakes parents in that way.

My daughter excels as a student (straight A's), is in the National Honor Society, and is in the IB diploma program (which, let no one kid you, is a demanding program). She participates (heavily) in sports year-round and takes part in artistic programs as well. Her standardized test scores are in the top percentiles and she has been courted by top colleges (in spite of opting not to go to TJ). She is, in short a student who would excel at any school.

She steadfastly has avoided being a part of a clique. She prefers having friends from all socioeconomic, ethnic and religious backgrounds, and enjoys spending time with them. She is, in fact, considering taking a "break year" after graduation so that she can travel and learn more about the rest of the world. (I suspect that she's figured out that we're not the center of the universe). (grin)

She has *never* felt threatened or unsafe in her school.

I envy her the experiences that she's had. She'll move into the world much more comfortably than I (with my Midwestern white-bread background) was initially able to.

Chris Cox, a graduating Senior in 2006, eloquently stated his reasons for being grateful that he attended South Lakes. After addressing the "fears" that others have regarding the school, he said:
"You cannot graduate from our high school with the same ignorance that is encouraged in other parts of the world. Our high school represents more cultures and religions than any other in our area, and is the reason I am most proud to have been a student at South Lakes."

His entire speech is attached, in PDF format.

*That* is the kind of student we have at South Lakes these days. And that's why, regardless of the fears of others, we're proud to "subject" our children to the South Lakes experience.
Attachments:
ChrisCoxSpeech-2006.pdf

Posted by: no activities ()
Date: November 07, 2007 06:26AM

If this things starts to roll we need to stand together Herndon, Westfield,Chantilly,Oakton and any other concorde district school that wants to assist. All students should refrain from playing sports, band, drama, and any other activity that the schools have. Yes this may hurt for a season, but the message will be heard loud and clear by every major news network. Stop all volunteer work at the school stop buying all school spirit packages, avoid signing up for CYA, HYA, RYA, etc... I know this is extreme but this message will be heard loud and clear and Stu and Kathy will be to blame for this.

Paul VI make room here we come

Posted by: RUKidding ()
Date: November 07, 2007 07:27AM

Hey, great idea. All you need to make your revenge complete is to ask all students to refrain from doing schoolwork as well.

I suspect that parents in the "undesirable" schools you're targeting would prefer that *you* don't participate in school activities.

Perhaps your best revenge would be to move .. to another school, another district, another state ..

Date: November 07, 2007 07:29AM

Given the election results perhaps IB vs, AP curriculum analyses will be of more interest than in the past.

One likely explanation for why FCPS IB students rarely score 6 or 7, while FCPS AP students often score 4 or 5, is that the IB syllabus for HL Math is designed with 7 mandatory units (mostly precalc) plus 4 optional more advanced units. Perhaps the FCPS teachers are giving the optional advanced units short shrift. In contrast, AP teachers usually feel compelled to cover all topics.

VA Tech's approach to HL Math credit is unusual, because the 5 out of 7 on IB HL Math only counts if the student also gets an IB Diploma.

Few colleges still give credit based on whether a student gets an IB Diploma. Rather, they look solely at the scores on individual HL tests. Indeed, the most advanced student I know in an IB school is not getting an IB Diploma. He takes IB humanities classes at school, plus math/science classes at his local college.

Date: November 07, 2007 08:18AM

It sounds to me like the main criticism of IB is in the math/science area. IB may be superior for English, history, etc.

It might be possible with more kids and great demand for those higher level math and science courses to put more AP courses in those areas in place at SL.

That way, we'd have classes that meet the student's needs in all areas available to them.

AP/IB mom, keep up the good work. I think there should be more analysis so that all South Lakes and potential South Lakes parents are informed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2007 08:19AM by South Lakes Pyramid parent.

From Paul VI
Posted by: Exodus ()
Date: November 07, 2007 09:17AM

Dear blessed No Activities:

Please let us make it simple for you and Paul VI:

You shall make a large check to our institution and thou shalt keep your kids home...since they indubitably would not participate in any school activity anyway, given the relevant parental model.

We shalt give you credit for attendance, and you and your progeny shalt not participate in academic, athletic, or other extracurricular activities.

We will trumpet your "message".

Posted by: SLVerity ()
Date: November 07, 2007 09:59AM

To the StopRD folks who keep insisting that there are few, if any, parents in your area willing to have their kids redistricted to South Lakes, read the following:

A Response to the Recent Bradley Farm Flyer entitled “ Your Property Values and School Boundaries”

I was a very dismayed to receive the recent flyer entitled “Your Property Values and School Boundaries”. I found various portions of the flyer that alluded that South Lakes High School is inferior to Westfields, Chantilly and Oakton and therefore the possible cause of lowering property values to be a ridiculous accusation and extremely offensive. As a resident of Bradley Farm, I felt that the distribution of the flyer was the abuse of leadership position since the BFHOA website was being utilized as a method for further contact. In the future, it would be much appreciated, if you supplied all sides of an argument so that our residents can make informed decisions. This is regardless of who pays for the materials. If you do not want to supply all sides of an issue than please use your private email addresses for further contact.

I have no issue if you oppose redistricting due to the fact that we have been caught up in 3 boundary changes in the past 10 years with a possible 4th on the way. That is a valid community concern. I also do not have an issue if you oppose the redistricting because you already have a child attending one school with the possibility of having the next child attending a different school. That puts a huge strain on any family, therefore, I would also consider that to be a valid personal argument against redistricting.

What I find offensive is that you attempt to compare schools without doing your homework first and then have the nerve to assume the entire community supports your viewpoint. There are quite a few households on the north side of West Ox that totally support the opportunity to be a part of South Lakes High School, because we have done our homework. We understand that numbers and statistics are just that and never tell a complete story. We have attended meetings about the differences between the IB program and the AP program and believe they are both equally excellent and will prepare our children for college. Some of us (God forbid!) might even prefer the IB program, because we firmly believe it is the program that will teach our children how to think and analyze and will help them solve the problems they will have to face in the global community over the next 50 years. We have attended the meetings where we met the principals from South Lakes and Oakton and discovered that we really liked the open, welcoming, respectful attitude of Bruce Butler, Principal of South Lakes and the engaging students that came with him. We have toured South Lakes and have found that the newly renovated school will be a beautiful place to learn and that the diverse student body will teach our children to be more open-minded and accepting. We’ve talked to South Lakes parents, students, and graduates and have learned that they are very proud of their school despite the untrue, negative perceptions that continue to be circulated by uninformed people. We like that fact that South Lakes will have a relatively small student population of only 2,000 students as compared to the other high schools in western Fairfax County. But best of all, if we go to South Lakes, our children will be closer. They will have an additional hour in every school day because they won’t be commuting to Oakton. Hopefully, they will be a little safer because they will not be driving on those awful roads to Oakton after they get their driver’s licenses. We, as parents, will not need to drive as far. All this will help reduce the amount of congestion on the road. With traffic congestion being the considered the “most urgent problem” facing our county by about 75-80% of the candidates running for public office today, I have to ask… Why are we adding to this problem by bussing (or driving) our children 45 minutes away when there are seats available in a good school only 15 minutes away??? That is not using my tax dollars wisely and that makes me angry!

This redistricting needs to happen. There is overcrowding at Westfields and Chantilly and seats available at South Lakes. The magnet school idea has already been discussed and discarded by the School Board in the past. We cannot wait any longer to resolve these issues. The cost is too high at a time when funds are becoming scarce. Fairfax County (not just western Fairfax County) has some of the best schools in the country. Regardless of which school my children attend they will receive an excellent education. It continues to astound me that people in Fairfax County actually fight about the idea that one school is better than another. We should all be thankful that we are lucky enough to live in county where education is highly valued and is considered a high priority by our elected officials and the general population. Not every jurisdiction in the US is as fortunate. The great success of ALL Fairfax County schools, despite the challenges that each individual school has to overcome, reflects that attitude and we should be proud about it! Ultimately, all of our property values will actually increase because all the schools will benefit from the better use of available resources.

There are thousands of kids, families, adults that live in this area that are associated with South Lakes High School and I found the attitude in your flyer to be belittling, condescending and rude to that group of people by making them sound inferior to the residents of Bradley Farm. You have no right do that! We all understand that this is an extremely divisive issue that is putting major pressure on the individuals, families and communities involved. But it is also important to remember that each family’s choice is very personal and no one outcome will satisfy everyone. If you don’t respect others during this process it will only make a hard decision worse. Before you start implying negative things about a particular school, just remember, there are other individuals, families and communities just like yours that support that school for many reasons which you probably do not know. Be fair and courteous to them just as you would want them to be to you.

Sincerely,

Name Redacted
Bradley Farm Resident

P.S. – The name “South Lakes” is comprised of two words not one as you incorrectly state in the flyer.

Posted by: quantum ()
Date: November 07, 2007 10:09AM

SL Mom - you post is interesting, a bit emotional, but interesting.

First, it is not clear to me why parents professing a choice for their existing school is a "sickening" event - they are merely opting to go with what they know, hardly an unusual event, particularly as people are generally resistant to change. Inasmuch as there are parents who do not want to send their children to South Lakes, there is no transitive property in play that makes any sensible person think that South Lakes parents are not "good" parents or don't care for their kids. The fact is that private schools are expensive, are limited in the Fairfax area in terms of choices and supply, and for that reason can often be little more than trading in one set of challenges for another. It is not reasonable to impute any form of "bad' parenting to those that send their children to any local high school - however, that does not make any one institution resistant to criticism.

Second, this is a high income area. People with children move to high income areas by and large to enhance the chances in life for their children. I understand you may be emotional about this, but a statement that your son survived unscathed and with his friends is hardly the kind of aspiration that most people in the area ascribe to, and while I am sure you meant that in one way or another he prospered, the effect of your statement in letting us know he survived serves only to further, not limit, people's fears about SLHS.

Third, I am curious about your reference to the gang problem which you aver existed at South Lakes. You mention that the school has done a good job in enhancing disciplinary enforcement (which I have anecdotally heard is the case). Has this been the primary driver of lessening the "gang" problem? While it strikes me that increased discipline may indeed be helpful, it also strikes me that programs to deal with drop-outs or near drop-outs, which address the kids far more likely to act out (at that point, they feel they nothing to lose) would do more to inhibit gang problems than anything else. South Lakes has by all accords a very competent principal now - although some appear to disagree - and query what he has done in addition to enhancing discipline. It could be possible that the gang related population has moved, but from my extensive trail runs throughout Reston, I don't think that is the case. I mention this only because facts, and more facts, will make transferors comfortable. And again, I think the plea for facts and blunt talk needs to be put into context - by way of example, I think Oakton High School and Oakton parents generally do a poor job when it comes to controlling alcohol and the role that getting drunk plays in the lives of many Oakton teenagers. (I find it particularly appalling that some of their so-called sports stars engage in this behavior - replicating the silly fraternity/sorority lifestyle in advance of college and undermining the discipline that it takes to be a truly competitive athlete). Call me a reactionary all you want, but alcohol and well off kids with cars and the general lack of street sense of most Oakton kids all don't mix well. So I wouldn't be the least bit "sickened" or "offended" if any parent expressed a drinking concern about Oakton. The problem is real, although the degree to which it is real is one that people can disagree on. Likewise, gangs and a meaningful high school educational experience don't either. It would be helpful to know how this problem has been tackled, and to what extent it still exists.

Fourth, although what's past is past, it really does bother me as to why the prior principal was nominated through other than typical processes and that this principal was allowed to stay on for so long. And my criticism is not directed at the parents, but really at the school system, and the School Board, for letting it happen, all in the name of some feel good notions about diversity that have empirically proven to be meaningless when it comes to advancing levels of education. And so it strikes me that rather than being defensive, South Lakes parents should exercise their views at the voting box by voting the guy out who watched over all this mess (and apparently that did not happen), as opposed to rewarding him for his lack of diligence and for his politically opportune plan to transfer in the "right" kind of students (hardly a show of faith in his constituents).

Fifth, and this is just an opinion - people have "compassion" fatigue - especially in Reston, where virtually every form of do goodism has been tried, and with frankly limited success because they don't address the fundamental cultural issues driving the problems. So a plea to diversity, and invoking a sense of moral superiority over those who want things less "diverse" just isn't persuasive any longer. Put another way, people are not going to be easily persuaded by invoking white guilt, and when it comes to our increasing Asian population, they won't be persuaded at all as that group that has historically suffered from discrimination. This is not to say diversity isn't helpful, but its value is way overblown and will not transform a school that isn't doing things right into a positive place to be. This is not to say SLHS isn't on the right track, but merely invoking the shibboleth of diversity isn't going to make the place appear better. Inform us what South Lakes does well - and how it has recovered from some of the problems you mention.

Date: November 07, 2007 10:51AM

Quantum,
I think we have said all there is to say on this topic. Your patronizing attitude is not appreciated by me or probably not any other SL parent who has gone to the trouble to post our experiences with SL and how well our children have done there, and has tried to establish some common ground with the posters here.

You seem to be asking us to say that South Lakes is indeed unsafe, implying we've all been covering something up. We aren't--this has simply not been our experience.

If you don't hear the disrespect in your own voice and those of others here towards South Lakes people, I don't think there is anything else to say. You just keep repeating the same complaints, untruths, whatever, no matter what we say. Enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2007 10:54AM by South Lakes Pyramid parent.

Date: November 07, 2007 10:51AM

Quantum, I read with interest your post to SL Mom. However, I must point out that while your posts have been generally well written, intelligent, and fair, there have been some 'sickening' posts on this site from those against redistricting, and also some posts containing erroneous and incorrect information. Please don't ask me to go back through this thread and glean some of them, because I don't have the time, but I am sure you have read them and even occasionally been embarrassed by them.

With regards to positive steps that have been taken, I will post some information later, when I have time.

Regarding the'appointment' and retention of an inferior principal, I am glad that you are at least recognizing that the parents were somewhat powerless to address the issue. This was an example of do-goodism at its worst. With regards to the directions that elections take in Reston, you must recognize that while there are many parents of school aged children who did not vote for Stu, there are a lot of constituents in this area who do not have children in the school system, and who do vote for democrats time and again. By virtue of the strong democrat preference in our area, the vote of conservatives like me is watered down. It is a fact I have learned to live with, and the positives of living in Reston have outweighed the negative of being outnumbered time and again.

With the removal of Really Rodriguez from the school, parents like me felt empowered once again. I was very much involved in the choice of Bruce Butler, and despite the negative comments from one disgruntled poster on this site, he has done a remarkable job in a short time in raising expectations not only for students, but most importantly for staff. I will provide more information later when I have time.

As far as gang issues go, my children were in the building from 2002 through 2007, with very few incidents. On one occasion an adult male (not in the school system) entered the building and was apprehended. In another instance, an altercation that started after hours off-site was continued before school started in a cafeteria. In that area, Bruce has been very proactive in identifying at-risk students and either removing them from the school (permanently) at the first infraction, or reaching out positively in an effort to circumvent future bad activity. As much as I disliked the prior principal, she also had been making efforts to engage the community and make them aware of the situation and did not sugar-coat negative incidents. I think these efforts have produced positive results, and though there may be gang activity off-site, during the school day I think that is not an issue.

I would like to point out that a few years ago at least one Herndon student was murdered as a result of drive-by gang activity, yet to my knowledge the Herndon principal did not engage the community in a proactive and public way as has happened in Reston. I have not seen the stopRD folks posting here express concern about gang issues at Herndon, Chantilly, or Westfield. In fact, many posting here have expressed a preference for Herndon, Chantilly and Westfield, despite the fact that the County has reported gang activity at all three schools. So I don't think that the 'gang argument' holds as much weight in this discussion as some would like.

Posted by: Exodus ()
Date: November 07, 2007 11:18AM

Quantum is and always has been a bigoted, pompous windbag. Quantum writes from "authority" but is full of it. Pay him no mind.

Posted by: CHS Parent ()
Date: November 07, 2007 11:34AM

I have personally spoken with the Head of Security for Chantilly High School and he reports that there is NO Gang activity there.

Date: November 07, 2007 11:42AM

CHS Parent Wrote:
> I have personally spoken with the Head of Security
> for Chantilly High School and he reports that
> there is NO Gang activity there.

I won't argue with him and perhaps the situation has improved as it has at South Lakes, but that does not erase the fact that Chantilly was included in past reports on gang activity in FCPS schools.

Date: November 07, 2007 11:46AM

SL Verity - let's see the reports.

Posted by: resource allocation ()
Date: November 07, 2007 11:47AM

SLVerity Wrote:

> ...Regarding the'appointment' and retention of an
> inferior principal, I am glad that you are at
> least recognizing that the parents were somewhat
> powerless to address the issue...

This is a persistent problem throughout FCPS and IMHO after Rodriquez and Lake Anne's Padgett , Gibson will be shifting them out in a more proactive way. His base school revolted and I think he is unwilling to put up with any more HR messes.

> ...directions that elections take in Reston...,

I think people trust Stu to take on other areas of the county when they want to do things that negatively impact facilities and taxes paid by Hunter Mill residents. Odd boundaries predate Stu but are driven by Strauss/Langley to the north. Stu has gotten more expensive housing into South Lakes over the last decade off Baron Cameron. New developments went to Forest Edge. Stu also is the only board member who ever came up with some actual momentum on start times. That was for Madison and a big blockade was TJ.

I think a republican Gary Reese was behind making Westfield so huge. Right now the taxpayers and many magisterial districts might need Stu since many of us hope he will stymy the South County Middle School.

Liz Bradsher got elected as the Springfield rep and the area that won't go to Lake Braddock is most likely the Silverbrook precinct. The at-large votes for school board member there were as follows along with what might be the district/residence/base school :

Braunlich 577 [lee]
Cooper 123 [lee]
Constantino 534 [west springfield]
Hone 518 [providence-jackson/falls church]
Hunt 600 [FX station]
Moon 463 [Robinson]
Raney 323 [providence]
Volksdorf 47 ?

Is there a correlation for the votes in that precinct with the propensity to build a new middle school by 2012 even if it delays other jobs and impacts public moneys/parks/projects? Seeing possibly 2 at large members from Providence as well as the Magisterial board member perhaps FCPS will do more boundary changes and use space at Falls Church. After the West County boundary process, I expect Gibson and Smith to block that SC middle school.

> ...As far as gang issues go, my children were in the
> building from 2002 through 2007, with very few
> incidents...

I've considered pupil placing at South Lakes once the population is up [sports teams need more people - no need to get into a football game without protection]
and I think Gibson should somehow get invlved in the VHSL since the whole thing is peculiar.

Posted by: SLNMom ()
Date: November 07, 2007 11:58AM

Thank you for the supportive comments, SLVerity, South Lakes Pyramid Parent and Exodus. In my experience some people will never be able to see past their own viewpoint and will go to lengths to avoid conflicting evidence. It's best to ignore them.

While I can certainly appreciate all parents being concerned for their children, I find the attitude that some express toward South Lakes repugnant, especially as I would venture that not one of them has ever entered the school itself to see what the situation is.

And I can't see how they would think that those of us with children at South Lakes would find their comments less than an insult. One friend said she is "incensed" with the comments because "they make it sound like we're idiots or worse to have children at the school."

Quantum's attitude that we must only have children there because we essentially have no other option is condescending to say the least. Sorry to burst his bubble, but we're not living in subsidized housing, and, in fact, have one of those $5-6k real estate bills that was mentioned in an earlier post. (Perhaps I should mark that as sarcasm, since my point that my son had "survived" which was meant as mild sarcasm, apparently went over some folks' heads).

We moved to Reston because we loved the area and the attitude of the people living here. Reston was very much a "community" at that time and South Lakes was a well-regarded school in the county. Things have changed greatly in the area in the past 30 years and not, I think, for the better. There are more lights, more traffic, more people and a pronounced sense of entitlement from the "haves" (which seems to be a bigger problem to me than many of the others). South Lakes has had its tough years and is emerging from the past three years not only renovated physically, but administratively and in spirit as well. (I'd go so far as to say "rising from the ashes" but it sounds just a little melodramatic).

I'd urge parents with concerns to check out South Lakes personally -- the staff, the students, the parents -- rather than rely on flyers being circulated or forum posts. I believe they'd be pleasantly surprised.

Date: November 07, 2007 12:10PM

Thanks,SLNMom, for being a fresh voice. I'm tired.

And thanks too to SLVerity, SL Padre and other SL supporters. I think SL can be a great school with all the new energy.

It's time to move on from negativity.

Now, about that AP....What do South Lakes current and future parents think? Would you like to have the option at SL to have AP instead of or in addition to IB? I think this is worth discussing, bringing up at boundary meetings, and pushing for.

Date: November 07, 2007 12:29PM

CHS Parent Wrote:
> I have personally spoken with the Head of Security
> for Chantilly High School and he reports that
> there is NO Gang activity there.

What does the SRO say? The head of security is a school employee who is beholden to the principal and will only tell you what the principal wants you to hear.

The SRO is a police officer beholden to the precinct captain.

I'd invite anyone concern about the security at South Lakes to speak to Lietenant Hill, the acting commanding officer at the Reston Police station.

With children at South Lakes since 1996, I can say I had no reports from any of my 4 children of witnessing or hearing about any gang activity at SL. In that time I think I can recall one cafetria fight. Which is far less, by at least 1 order of magnitude, than I observed in my 4 years in high school in a factory town up north. And I'm no fan of SL, either its present or past prinicipal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2007 12:30PM by Thomas More.

Posted by: quantum ()
Date: November 07, 2007 12:35PM

Exodus - glad you know me so well so as to draw a conclusion.

But really, I am pleased at your response, because rather than address the facts (which SL Verity did very well thank you), you call me names and make other elliptical, non-probative points. Name calling in effect is the most ample form of self admission that both intellectually and substantively one cannot compete. Probably not a good thing when on is trying to persuade others about the efficacy of a school people have doubts about, but if you it think works, keep trying.

By the way, I do think many of the problems South Lakes has experienced are starting to bubble up at Herndon - with many of the so-called better students (I have three nephews and a niece that attended there) just grimacing and bearing it. But inasmuch as Herndon is not the focus of a school transfer, such is life. And the schools are in a tough situation because of the illegal immigration problem - by law they must do their best to educate - and there are lots of teachers out there with the patience of Job doing just that - but really, it is hard to deny that these problems are not draining focus and energy from the academic mission of the bulk of the middle class students in our schools, despite the mantra of treating all students the same.

And SL Verity has one thing exactly right - the democrats here seem to continue to vote in lockstep because they value adherence to their worldview as opposed to pure competence, irrespective of political affiliation. With politics at the local level, sheer competence is more important than ideology, and that is of course why I am perplexed at the prior situation at South Lakes and why the politician at issue is not being held accountable for it.

The 2002 school year was a watermark for me in terms of South Lakes, although my complaint is really anecdotal, so maybe not rational. Back then, South Lakes had their single best African American athlete since Grant Hill, an athlete who was first in the nation in his sport and in my view an Olympic contender could he have enrolled in the right kind of university with the right kind of athletic program. This guy was the best in the nation - no question about it - and yet could not meet NCAA qualifying standards for admission anywhere - which when it comes to his sport - is a death knell because there is just place other than our college system to prosper. That is another subject. Non-athletes or non-aficionados of the sport don't know how good the kid was. Alan Webb was a once a fifty year athlete, and then South Lakes the next year has a once in 20 year athlete? And I was upset at this - yes, at the kid to some degree - but really, at the high school. This was a star athlete - the kind that could really make a difference in terms of the image projected to other kids - and the level of athlete that communities in smaller towns break their backs and expend every last ounce of energy to make NCAA eligible (look at your average SEC football team, and you will see many such athletes, who somehow, some way met the lowly NCAA academic requirements). But South Lakes - set in Reston with all of Reston's unbelievable amenities and social programs - could not get this kid through to meet NCAA requirements. I just could not understand it - and was perplexed at why the school could not see the incredible value that would have obtained had they found somehow, some way to get it done. Now, on a rational level, this is not the basis to judge a school, but if a school set in the middle of "progressive Reston" could not find a way to avoid the impression that it exploits athletes to their educational detriment - what school reasonably should be expected to? And contrary to the name calling, this is hardly condescending, because frankly, it is frustrating - common sense dictates that if the highest profile athlete (a good kid, by the way) was not getting served well, what was happening to the normal kids. Were they doomed by a condescending attitude of low expectations? The declining test scores in certain populations indicates that this was so. I say this with the understanding that there is an impulse to shoot the messenger.

Re: high school redistricting - AP/IB comments
Date: November 07, 2007 12:50PM

On the positive side for IB:
- Courses can be taken individually (not as part of IB diploma track)
- IB credits can be used for college credit/placement (as can AP)
- IB diploma track is well-regarded at many colleges (heard from admissions folks) in that students are well-prepared to "hit the ground running"
- IB courses are demanding. Many of my daughter's classes are using college textbooks (sometimes two or three).
- IB courses stress creativity and complex understanding of the matter. The material is far more rigorous than pre-IB (advanced level) classes. Thinking is encouraged (mild sarcasm again .. sorry!)

On the negative side:
- IB diploma track is *very* demanding. All courses are IB level and that can lead to a *lot* of time on homework (not to mention cross-discipline projects that must be worked on after school). Scheduling all of this with sports is .. challenging! (On the positive side, the time management skill set being learned is a real plus to college-bound kids!)
- No study guides .. the kids actually have to learn for the testing process on their own. For anyone used to picking up study guides, this will be an issue.
- IB program is not as well known as AP .. this leads to perception problems with some people (and the need to explain it in frequently to others).
- I do hear (from posts here) that the IB Math classes aren't as highly counted with colleges as AP higher math classes, but that's not an issue for us as my daughter isn't headed toward math/science majors in college.
- Due to the number of classes (and their difficulty) students who are used to seeing straight A's may not be able to maintain this level. If getting straight A's is a *must* for your student or your family, this could be a problem.

I have no problem with AP classes. Most of my daughter's friends at other schools are taking them. Most are taking 2-4 AP classes a semester and are blown away by the thought of our 7 IB courses (it's a curriculum not just individual classes when in the diploma program).

I've no idea what would be involved in offering both IB and AP programs (or if it's even an option). Since IB coursework is now starting at the middle school level at Hughes, you have quite a number of children feeding into the current program. This doesn't preclude introducing AP as well (or even instead of), however, since the IB diploma track doesn't start until Junior year. You have a relatively small number of students actually in the diploma program at any given time.

Posted by: MeMyself&I ()
Date: November 07, 2007 12:51PM

Comments:

1) Honesty and truth are so rare. Isn't this about racism? Please stop couching it in less offensive language. Be true to yourself.

2) Every school - every one - has great teachers, good teachers, mediocre teachers, poor teachers. A child can have a good or bad experience at any school. High test scores at particular schools are due to the make up of the student population. Those who have had certain advantages will of course score more highly on the standardized tests. A school with lower test scores can have amazing teachers, full of dedication and creativity, but we may not be aware of them because the students aren't the best and the brightest. These teachers may have made amazing strides with their students, however.

To be very general, think about the amount of progress as measured on a scale of 1 to 10. One school may be praised because its students went from 8 to 9. Then there is the school whose students went from a score of 4 to 8. The first school's scores are higher, but they were starting from a higher place. The second school's scores keep it in second place, but look at how much more progress has been made!

I'm not saying that this applies to any of the particular schools in this discussion thread. But it may, and it seems that a number of people are not being open minded and honest when learning about the different options. They seem to be clinging to stereotypes without having done any truthful investigations. We're talking about schools here - places that should be about inquiry and discovery. All is not known already - our goal should be to have truthful inquiry and to be open to new ideas.

And a little less selfishness might help things, also. We already have enough mean spirited and selfish people in the world. We need more good guys to play for the other side.

3) Proper grammar, spelling, usage is a GOOD thing.

Date: November 07, 2007 01:08PM

Quantum,

I'm not sure I understand your point about Grant Hill. I was not there at the time so I cannot comment, but if you are all about individual determination, then I'm not sure why it was South Lakes' responsibility to prop him up. I don't think you can blame South Lakes for the negative side of the sports culture in America, which does not support academic achievement, period. On the other hand, Alan Webb was accepted to Michigan, which would at least bolster the argument that SL did a good job with one of its middle class students.

Who was the once in 20-year athelete?

Re: high school redistricting - AP/IB comments
Date: November 07, 2007 01:10PM

SLMom Wrote:
> On the positive side for IB:
> - Courses can be taken individually (not as part
> of IB diploma track)
> - IB credits can be used for college
> credit/placement (as can AP)
> - IB diploma track is well-regarded at many
> colleges (heard from admissions folks) in that
> students are well-prepared to "hit the ground
> running"
> - IB courses are demanding. Many of my daughter's
> classes are using college textbooks (sometimes two
> or three).
> - IB courses stress creativity and complex
> understanding of the matter. The material is far
> more rigorous than pre-IB (advanced level)
> classes. Thinking is encouraged (mild sarcasm
> again .. sorry!)
>
> On the negative side:
> - IB diploma track is *very* demanding. All
> courses are IB level and that can lead to a *lot*
> of time on homework (not to mention
> cross-discipline projects that must be worked on
> after school). Scheduling all of this with sports
> is .. challenging! (On the positive side, the time
> management skill set being learned is a real plus
> to college-bound kids!)
> - No study guides .. the kids actually have to
> learn for the testing process on their own. For
> anyone used to picking up study guides, this will
> be an issue.
> - IB program is not as well known as AP .. this
> leads to perception problems with some people (and
> the need to explain it in frequently to others).
> - I do hear (from posts here) that the IB Math
> classes aren't as highly counted with colleges as
> AP higher math classes, but that's not an issue
> for us as my daughter isn't headed toward
> math/science majors in college.
> - Due to the number of classes (and their
> difficulty) students who are used to seeing
> straight A's may not be able to maintain this
> level. If getting straight A's is a *must* for
> your student or your family, this could be a
> problem.
>
> I have no problem with AP classes. Most of my
> daughter's friends at other schools are taking
> them. Most are taking 2-4 AP classes a semester
> and are blown away by the thought of our 7 IB
> courses (it's a curriculum not just individual
> classes when in the diploma program).
>
> I've no idea what would be involved in offering
> both IB and AP programs (or if it's even an
> option). Since IB coursework is now starting at
> the middle school level at Hughes, you have quite
> a number of children feeding into the current
> program. This doesn't preclude introducing AP as
> well (or even instead of), however, since the IB
> diploma track doesn't start until Junior year. You
> have a relatively small number of students
> actually in the diploma program at any given time.

Good summary.

On IB middle years, the only impact I can see is if your child does not do a language in eighth grade, they cannot do the IB diploma. I don't really see any other impact, and others have posted the same.

In ninth and tenth grade, it is pre-IB in IB schools, and Honors in AP schools. Pre-IB and Honors sound equivalent to me, but don't know this for a fact.

11th and 12th grade is IB in IB schools, and AP in AP schools. Neither AP nor IB has "in between" honors classes at this grade level, from what I have heard--could be wrong.

Posted by: Stephen Falken ()
Date: November 07, 2007 01:19PM

MeMyself&I Wrote:
> To be very general, think about the amount of
> progress as measured on a scale of 1 to 10. One
> school may be praised because its students went
> from 8 to 9. Then there is the school whose
> students went from a score of 4 to 8. The first
> school's scores are higher, but they were starting
> from a higher place. The second school's scores
> keep it in second place, but look at how much more
> progress has been made!

I'm not sure of what you're trying to say here. Given your example, I would soundly applaud the teachers at the school that had raised scores so much. And given a choice, I would send my children to the other school that had the even higher score and had shown a history of maintaining and even improving upon the score. Not a knock against the turnaround school, but better is better.

If you were buying a car and the price were the same, would you buy a Honda with a quality score of 9/10, or a Hyundai that had improved its score from 4/10 to 8/10? I might be very interested in what Hyundai had done to turn around quality in their corporation, but I'd still buy the higher quality car, given the choice.

Are you arguing that we should select the product that has improved the most, rather than the higher quality product? Or were you responding to something else in this long thread that I freely admit to not having read in entirety?

Date: November 07, 2007 01:49PM

SLNMom Wrote:
We had a post earlier saying that folks liked the 2 new Assist. Principals at SL. There was a post that reported enhanced inclusion of grammar and vocabulary in English classes (though this was countered by an IB-English assignment to read an entire book, The Crucible, over a weekend. Sounds like it's still a Lit. class to me).

Can I please ask the proponents of SL and Butler to name specific changes in personnel and policies that would convince the folks at Aldrin, Fox Mill and McNair that they shouldn't oppose coming to SL.

I get it that you feel better with Bruce. Feelings are subjective and can't be quantified as is obvious given our disagreement over Bruce. Disagree with me all you want but I've cited multiple specific events that form the basis for my perspective.

I want to respect your contrary opinion but generalities about evanasent feelings won't persuade the people reading this blog in Fox Mill, McNair or Aldrin who are open to persuasion.

The parents of children, whose school achievements imply gifts of critical thinking, would presumably posses those skills themselves, if gene theory has any meaning.

Let the rest of us read about the war stories, the teachers, coaches and the administrative personnel at SL SINCE BRUCE TOOK OVER that make you believe that things are getting better and will continue to get better.

The case has not yet been made persuasively. Belittling me and trying to shout me down, won't do it. My concrete examples will always leave that nagging doubt behind. An avalanche of positives stories will overwhelm those doubts.

Your PTA leadership should be organizing this. They should have agree on a desired outcome to this process. Unfortunately they don't meet until after the first session.

I'm not taunting you, I'm begging you. You've only got 6 days until the first meeting.

Re: IB vs. AP
Posted by: readingYourPosts ()
Date: November 07, 2007 01:54PM

-----------

It will take years to implement an AP program at South Lakes.....Let's focus on fighting for it. A school is as good as its students....There will always be figths, bad apples, gangs, teenagers angry at the world, and low lives, but if parents are involved all the way along with the teachers in their kids education, they will thrive no matter what. Enough of the negativism PLEASE, you have lemons...make lemonade. SL parents: don't get so defensive...we are not blind...it is obvious you care about your kids...let's not hope you are in the minority, but perceptions are very hard to erase and it is not your job to convince anyone otherwise. We all know how good of a job your principal is doing. KUDOS to him, and I don't even know the guy!

Date: November 07, 2007 02:33PM

quantum Wrote:
> The 2002 school year was a watermark for me in
> terms of South Lakes, although my complaint is
> really anecdotal, so maybe not rational. Back
> then, South Lakes had their single best African
> American athlete since Grant Hill, an athlete who
> was first in the nation in his sport and in my
> view an Olympic contender could he have enrolled
> in the right kind of university with the right
> kind of athletic program. This guy was the best
> in the nation - no question about it - and yet
> could not meet NCAA qualifying standards for
> admission anywhere - which when it comes to his
> sport - is a death knell because there is just
> place other than our college system to prosper.
> That is another subject. Non-athletes or
> non-aficionados of the sport don't know how good
> the kid was. Alan Webb was a once a fifty year
> athlete, and then South Lakes the next year has a
> once in 20 year athlete? And I was upset at this
> - yes, at the kid to some degree - but really, at
> the high school. This was a star athlete - the
> kind that could really make a difference in terms
> of the image projected to other kids - and the
> level of athlete that communities in smaller towns
> break their backs and expend every last ounce of
> energy to make NCAA eligible (look at your average
> SEC football team, and you will see many such
> athletes, who somehow, some way met the lowly NCAA
> academic requirements). But South Lakes - set in
> Reston with all of Reston's unbelievable amenities
> and social programs - could not get this kid
> through to meet NCAA requirements. I just could
> not understand it - and was perplexed at why the
> school could not see the incredible value that
> would have obtained had they found somehow, some
> way to get it done. Now, on a rational level,
> this is not the basis to judge a school, but if a
> school set in the middle of "progressive Reston"
> could not find a way to avoid the impression that
> it exploits athletes to their educational
> detriment - what school reasonably should be
> expected to? And contrary to the name calling,
> this is hardly condescending, because frankly, it
> is frustrating - common sense dictates that if the
> highest profile athlete (a good kid, by the way)
> was not getting served well, what was happening to
> the normal kids. Were they doomed by a
> condescending attitude of low expectations? The
> declining test scores in certain populations
> indicates that this was so. I say this with the
> understanding that there is an impulse to shoot
> the messenger.

This was in the height of Railly's Reign and Henthorn's slow motion retirement, so I understand that frustrations but I can't remember the athlete or the coach. Who are we talking about?

Date: November 07, 2007 02:33PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> My concrete examples will always leave that
> nagging doubt behind.

Thomas, below I provide an example of why it is hard to take you seriously and why I and others question your 'concrete' examples:

On page 14
Thomas More Wrote:
>
>My children have taken IB courses and didn't get the test results back in time to >advance place at college. This happens to lots of IB students. I've reviewed the >material myself and discussed them with teachers at South Lakes who have taught >both AP and IB.

Then on page 17
Thomas More Wrote:

>
> I thought I had already written that I had my kids
> not take IB. The reports of late IB test result
> reports come from parents at other FFX IB
> schools.
>

So who are we to believe, page 14 Tom or page 17 Tom? Why should we listen to your anecdotal stories about Bruce Butler when you can't even get the facts straight regarding whether your children did or didn't take IB classes? And please don't go back and try to edit your posts. I have copied them verbatim.

Date: November 07, 2007 03:00PM

Dunk Wrote:
> Thomas More Wrote:
> > My concrete examples will always leave that
> > nagging doubt behind.
>
> Thomas, below I provide an example of why it is
> hard to take you seriously and why I and others
> question your 'concrete' examples:
>
> On page 14
> Thomas More Wrote:
> >
> >My children have taken IB courses and didn't get
> the test results back in time to >advance place at
> college. This happens to lots of IB students. I've
> reviewed the >material myself and discussed them
> with teachers at South Lakes who have taught >both
> AP and IB.
>
> Then on page 17
> Thomas More Wrote:
>
> >
> > I thought I had already written that I had my
> kids
> > not take IB. The reports of late IB test
> result
> > reports come from parents at other FFX IB
> > schools.
> >
>
> So who are we to believe, page 14 Tom or page 17
> Tom? Why should we listen to your anecdotal
> stories about Bruce Butler when you can't even get
> the facts straight regarding whether your children
> did or didn't take IB classes? And please don't
> go back and try to edit your posts. I have copied
> them verbatim.

Fair comment. the "my children" sentence should have been in quotes since I was quoting a parent at Robinson as the second reference should make clear to a fair person who wasn't trying to persuade by a nit picking attack on the messenger, again.

but I'm asking for positive stories about SL and this posting doesn't have any, again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2007 03:05PM by Thomas More.

Date: November 07, 2007 03:12PM

Whatever. Nice try, though.

Date: November 07, 2007 03:21PM

Dunk Wrote:
> Whatever. Nice try, though.

That's the best you've got.

Do you deny that IB test results are sent out in July because the IB web site says so itself.

Do you deny that many, many colleges (including VTech) now do freshman orientation and class registration in June and early July before the IB test results are availible. That's easy to verify, call VTech and others.

That was the substance of the postings which remains unrebutted.

You want annotations for every posting now.

But there's still nothing positive about SL in your postings, Dunk. Can't think of any or haven't got any? Now I am taunting you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2007 03:22PM by Thomas More.

Date: November 07, 2007 03:29PM

Okay .. since my daughter's been at South Lakes:

1) Two (possibly three, although I'm not sure) Foreign Language teachers have left/been replaced following heavy complaints by students and teachers on their ability to teach the curriculum. The teacher my daughter current has is excellent.

2) One teacher in the Arts Department has also be removed due to inability to teach the class assigned. The class (and higher level course) are now being taught by a great teacher.

3) One entire department's performance for one subject class is being evaluated for change. I'm declining to say which one as this is ongoing, but suffice it to say that the teachers involved have been the focus of intense parent dissatisfaction for the past two years.

My husband is a teacher with the County and has always said that the administration makes all of the difference in the school. Some are more concerned about students and parents, some with politics, and you can tell the difference in the way the school is run and the interactions with families. He's also said that when the administration holds the teachers to a high standard (ability to teach effectively, communication with parents, help for students) the teachers either step up or leave (and although it's rumored that there's no way to get rid of teachers without strong cause, I've seen enough behind-the-scenes stuff to know that teachers can be pretty much forced out if the "fit" isn't right).

The examples I've given are only those that I'm personally familiar with .. I suspect that a good deal more is going on that I'm not aware of as I've noticed the level of turnover the past two years with interest. So far, the only changes I've seen have been positive.

Posted by: SLParent ()
Date: November 07, 2007 03:31PM

Postive stories about SL....

The SLHS PTSA has met regarding the redistricting and is very active in providing information to the SL parents. They are a great group of parents with strong leadership. I applaud their hard work. I'm sure the same can be said for other schools but you are asking about SL specifically. When I attending the last meeting, they gave a very clear overview of the issue without trying to provide a hidden agenda.

Mr. Butler, in my humble opinion, is a good principal. He is fair, compassionate and very approachable. He is at most sporting events and activities and last year played guitar in a multi-cultural talent show. I have only had good experiences with him (even in tough situations). I know he attends a lot of events because I have 2 VERY active students at SLHS and I see him all the time.

Since becoming the DSA, Ms. Jones has made great improvements. Her first concern is the improvement in the SLHS athletic program. She works well with the Athletic Booster Club which has raised more money in the Fall Season than they raised all last year. The Athletic Boosters have also raised awareness of SL athletes through newspaper articles, websites, and Corporate Sponsorship.

I'm not sure if you were aware of last year's Fight for a Seahawk Campaign. A SL student was diagnosed with cancer and the school raised money to help the family. Ms. Trout, the ADSA, shaved her head into a mohawk because the students met the fundraising goal.

These are only a few stories and I'm sure there are a ton more. This is only what I could think of during my busy work day.

Date: November 07, 2007 04:00PM

Thanks to SLParent and SLMom for those great examples. Numerous others have been posted here. Some, unfortunately, fall on deaf ears, or ears that choose not to hear, but my hope is that enough parents will get the message that South Lakes is a good school undergoing substantial (dare I say profound) and meaningful positive changes. The parents have been empowered and their voices are being heard daily.

A school is only as good as its students, parents and administrators, and we are lucky in that regard. I should add that the SL PTSA are doing a tremendous job educating, motivating and supporting their membership regarding the boundary studies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2007 04:21PM by SLVerity.

Posted by: chantilly mom ()
Date: November 07, 2007 04:10PM

somewhere in Oak Hill Wrote:
> Perhaps you should talk to your kids....or engage
> in a conversation with your neighbors whose kids
> go to Chantilly. You would be amazed at the
> "information" you can get. hint: gang activity.
> We are not talking about the teachers or the
> principal here. It is the extracurricular
> activities some of the student engaged, some of it
> at the hallways and locker rooms. Like I
> mentioned earlier, each school has good students
> and some bad apples, and Chantilly is not the
> exception.

there is no gang activity at chantilly. My children go to and have gone to chantilly as do all my neighbors children. It is a wonderful school. In the 5 years that I have been active in the school none of my children, my friends children or neighbors children have had any problems or ever mentioned gangs or violence. Just because there are minorities in a school does not automatically imply they are in gangs.

and if you think that the kids who go to TJ, Oakton or PaulVI don't drink or do drugs then you are kidding yourself... maybe you should talk to your kids...

you need to check yourself for racism and snobbery sweetie.... the northern virginia "air of superiority"" seems to have affected your brain.

Date: November 07, 2007 04:38PM

SL Verity wanted to let you know your document SLHS at a Glance has some factual errors.

The SOL scores looked incorrect. So I checked the county web site link = http://schoolprofiles.fcps.edu/schlprfl/f?p=108:18:3311824215875689::NO::P0_CURRENT_SCHOOL_ID:320

I did not check for other "errors" but given the data below I am sure there are some. I applaud the effort to put the doc together. You discredit yourselves when you fail to use the correct data.

SOL SCORES FOR 2006-2007

SUBJECT / YOUR DOC / # ON COUNTY WEB SITE
------------------------------------------
ENGLISH
Reading / 95 / 93.6
Writing / 94 / 92.9
MATH
Algebra I / 89 / 82.3 *** whopper ***
Algebra II / 83 / 80.6 *** whopper ***
Geometry / 83 / 79.6
SCIENCES
Biology / 85 / 74.1 *** whopper ***
Chemistry / 73 / 67.5 *** whopper ***
Earth Science / 91 / 87.8
HISTORY
World History I / 90 / 82.9 *** whopper ***
World History II / 86 / 84.3
US/VA History / 93 / 92,9

I am still waiting on the link to the "gang" figures from the county that you like to site.

Posted by: SLMadre ()
Date: November 07, 2007 04:55PM

So the SL parents have managed to throw enough chum in the water and catch a few suckers. Go ahead and send your kids to SL - they will take you in faster than a two dollar hooker. Oh wait that was Hughes.....

Don't you really want to look at the SAT scores and the pecentage of students that ACTUALLY take them?????

My money won't be going to any Swiss Bank Account so that my children can take classes in culinary arts, or whatever you want to call the IB program.

If SL was soooo good, there wouldn't be 36 pages of mental masturbation.....Fools would be signing up to be pupil placed.

Date: November 07, 2007 05:01PM

SLMom Wrote:
> So far, the only changes I've
> seen have been positive.

Now this is heading in the right direction. How about some names? Teachers who left that we were happy to see go and why. Teachers who have come, or stayed, and we're happy they stayed and why. Your anonymous on this blog. While others don't, I respect that anonymity enables candor.

Date: November 07, 2007 05:04PM

word Wrote:

>
> I am still waiting on the link to the "gang"
> figures from the county that you like to site.

I never cited gang figures or said I would cite gang figures, merely said that in the past, gang activity had been identified at Chantilly, Herndon, and Westfield. If you doubt it, I would have to say that perhaps Neen was right in saying that people prefer not to believe that their community schools are less than great.

I think that parents at every school should be aware that gangs exist in Northern Virginia, and that no areas are totally immune.

Pages: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 189

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.