HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 189
Re: high school redistricting
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: November 04, 2007 01:14AM

Seriously, someone must have paid Jay Mathews big bucks, or he's smoking wacky tabacky, if he thinks that IB MY program is challenging. NO ONE has EVER said that before, no one at Hughes, or South Lakes. I find the statement rather insulting to our middle school students at Hughes if he thinks this program is challenging them to do anything other than colorful posters. Does Jay think that's the best these 'poor kids' can achieve? Sounds rather patronizing, assuming he actually knows anything about the program. It's a joke. And he's insulting Hughes students with statements like he made. I can't wait to see letters to the editor on this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 04, 2007 01:18AM

SLVerity,
Of course the renovations were not done to attract out of boundary students but they sure are using it as a selling point. That was my point. Why do they do that when parents don't care about what a building looks like, but what is going on inside the classrooms? A nice shiny new building doesn't matter. If it did, we wouldn't have 3,000 kids a year trying to get into TJ.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: November 04, 2007 01:22AM

SLHS Padre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish Dr. Jackson well in her new position.
>
Do you mean that sarcastically as in good riddence?

Date: November 04, 2007 01:23AM

>>>That's the biggest issue people have regarding redistricting -- a plan to move kids all over the place just to add to the population of one school and reduce the population at another. Just solve that problem - move Floris to South Lakes.<<<

EXACTLY!!! That's why Floris and McNair will go to South Lakes and everyone else will be left alone.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:28AM

Neen Wrote:
> That's why Floris and McNair will go
> to South Lakes and everyone else will be left
> alone.

Why on earth would you do that to the kids from Floris?

I know you like to be clever but that's really is callous & cruel. The Floris kids never did anything to deserve that emnity. And skip the cheap shots at SL.

Seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2007 01:28AM by Thomas More.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:34AM

>>>Another failed educational fad. FFX falls for every one that comes along. Our central staff always has to be "au courant." It the same phenomenon that gave us "whole language", "everyday math" and (you know what's next) IB!!!!<<<

Yes, yes, our liberal educrats LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, every educational fad that comes down the pike. The latest is making GT programs SO large that everyone can be gifted! Even students who functioning below grade level can be in a GT center! Isn't that grand? Every GT center now has remedial classes for those students who are below grade level, to help them 'realize their potential'.

Why don't we give every parent in the county a bumper sticker that says 'my child is gifted' and be done with it?

The larger problem, for the children, is that our democrat school board members also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, every educational fad that staff brings to their attention, regardless of how much the community objects, if the community even has the opportunity to object before the latest flakey, dumbed down, program, is implemented.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:37AM

>>>No, actually they don't. Most TJ sports don't have enough kids going out for their teams. And not knowing the other kids in the school is a why.<<<

Totally wrong. Kids who go to TJ don't go for the sports. Nor do their parents send them to TJ to play sports. Surely you don't think all those geeks on the math team and computer team and the physics team really want to play football.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:41AM

Neen Wrote:
> Every GT center now has
> remedial classes for those students who are below
> grade level, to help them 'realize their
> potential'.

No doubt this could be overdone. At the same time, I've known kids who were gifted in math but challenged in reading, gifted in music but challenged in science. I'm sure you have too. Is there no room in your GT program for those kids?

> democrat school

You did it again, Madame McCarthyite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2007 01:41AM by Thomas More.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:44AM

Neen Wrote:
> >>>No, actually they don't. Most TJ sports don't
> have enough kids going out for their teams. And
> not knowing the other kids in the school is a
> why.<<<
>
> Totally wrong. Kids who go to TJ don't go for the
> sports. Nor do their parents send them to TJ to
> play sports. Surely you don't think all those
> geeks on the math team and computer team and the
> physics team really want to play football.

Then who is it with all those bumper stickers with "Thomas Jeferson Technical High School we came for the sports"? A bunch of imposters?

Date: November 04, 2007 01:44AM

People at boundary change meetings always use sports as a reason to not be redistricted. People in the Madison island will point out that their kids play sports in Vienna, VYL. But it NEVER matters. Sports have never been a compelling reason to avoid transferring students. They won't be this time either.

The bottom line is that if Stu wins, he decides who goes to South Lakes. Ditto if Kathy wins. Kathy, Janie, and Stu have already played 'let's make a deal' and they know exactly who will go to South Lakes and who won't. Community meetings won't make a bit of difference, they never do. The only way to have any say in what will happen is to not elect Kathy and Stu. The community has no other way to have any input into what happens. All this speculation about neighborhoods and sports really will not matter if Kathy and Stu win, the community will have no say in what happens. Kathy, Janie, and Stu have already decided. If Kathy and Stu lose, everything opens up again and the community will be consulted, first, deals will not have been made and the future decided.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:46AM

Thomas,
We have that exact TJ sticker on one of our cars! My first child and his friends thought it was hilarious, because, of course, no one goes to TJ for the sports!

You KNEW it was a joke, right?

Date: November 04, 2007 01:49AM

Neen Wrote:
> You KNEW it was a joke, right?

The TJ athletic boosters don't think its a joke but everyone else does, da?

Date: November 04, 2007 01:55AM

It is fairly rare for a student who is very gifted in math to not also be gifted in reading and the other subjects. Most students don't score over 700 in math and below 600 in Verbal. Kids are usually pretty close in scores. Kids in the GT centers who need remedial work need it for both subjects. They are simply below average students who the GT office hopes will someday be gifted by virtue of being in a GT center. It's their latest fad, below average students added to GT centers. In Reston, a few years back, one GT class had a child with Down syndrome. It was not good for the child, she learned nothing, but the kids in the class were very nice to her. She was something of the class pet, very protected by her classmates, but no lessons aimed at her level, so she made little educational progress. The new idea of remedial classes in GT centers would have helped her, but I fail to see why we need to put below average students in GT centers. Why not let them remain in the base school until they become magically become gifted, or at least function at grade level? I can't begin to explain how educrats think.

Just as most voters don't know why Dale Evans has cowboy boots on his road signs, most people here have no idea why you call me Mrs.McCarthy. You're dating yourself.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:57AM

Thomas,
Yes, even the TJ boosters know it's a joke and sell it as such. Da.

I remember when we bought the sticker, everyone was laughing, and we bought it from the boosters.

Seriously, you knew it was a joke, right? No one goes to TJ for the sports! That's why it's funny! duh.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:02AM

Oh, forgot to add, we don't have GT centers for the musically gifted or those gifted in science. (To be gifted in science, one has to be gifted in math. If you can't do math, you can't do physics or engineering.)

Our centers are for academically gifted, not gifted in music, or dance, or art. Some people are naturally socially gifted but we don't have centers for them either. Perhaps we should have those kinds of centers too, but we don't. We do have programs for those who are gifted in sports, they're called sports programs. ;)

Date: November 04, 2007 01:02AM

Neen Wrote:
> It is fairly rare for a student who is very gifted
> in math to not also be gifted in reading and the
> other subjects.

Actually not true. Intelligences come in up to 15 different measurable forms. That's the fallacy of the IQ test. It doesn't measure many forms of intelligence at all.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:07AM

Neen Wrote:
> (To be gifted in science, one has to be gifted in
> math. If you can't do math, you can't do physics
> or engineering.)

Many of the great scientists were not and are not good at mathematics. They had great observational skills. They had great imagination or insights. Yes the physicists, chemists and astronomers need mathematics but anatomists, paleotologists and anthropologists are far less dependant on math.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2007 01:11AM by Thomas More.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:09AM

Neen

Back to Floris, why do you want to punish those kids by making them commute so far when Chantilly is right across the street practically?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2007 01:11AM by Thomas More.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:15AM

Neen Wrote:
> Just as most voters don't know why Dale Evans has
> cowboy boots on his road signs,

I thought Dale Evans was a woman and has been dead for some time.

> You're dating yourself.

If I was worried about that would I have chosen this nom de guerre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2007 01:16AM by Thomas More.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:59AM

Hahaha............that's true.

I asked my children tonight who Dale Evans was, they had no idea, other than the current candidate for clerk. The current Dale Evans picked an odd symbol for FC and voters 18 to 50. Oh well. No one thought he would win anyway.

It's not MY Idea to send the Floris kids to South Lakes. Personally, I don't think they should be immune from this round of redistricting since they've already been moved in the last 5 years. I'm simply telling you what I think will happen, Floris and McNair to South Lakes. It's the most simple solution, upsetting the fewest neighborhoods, AND, both schools are in Stu's district so no other SB member's district need to be upset. (Yes, I know part of Floris is in Sully, isn't it?) Chantilly is too crowded to send Floris there.

The point of all of this is to reduce crowding at Westfield, and possibly Chantilly, and to fill South Lakes. So, wouldn't it make sense to schools out of Westfield and send them to South Lakes, rather than the whole domino thing, with so many different schools?

Of course we don't know what the new and improved projections will show, so we are at something of a disadvantage in predicting anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2007 02:00AM by Neen.

Date: November 04, 2007 02:02AM

Neen Wrote:
(Yes, I know part of Floris is in Sully,
> isn't it?)

Isn't most of Floris in Sully and only a bit, if that, in Hunter Mill.

Date: November 04, 2007 02:49AM

Floris, the school itself is in Hunter Mill so I assume some of the students must also be in Hunter Mill.

Date: November 04, 2007 03:02AM

Neen Wrote:
> Floris, the school itself is in Hunter Mill so I
> assume some of the students must also be in Hunter
> Mill.

Only the northern most 25% of the land area of Floris is in hunter mill. Would the Sully board member let his constituents be treated that way? Too tough to see it.

Date: November 04, 2007 04:07AM

If Floris isn't her school, Kathy has less say in what happens to it. The unwritten rule is that school board members don't mess with schools that belong to another school board member.

If Stu decides that it's best for Floris to move to South Lakes, Kathy will not object since it's not her school but his.

It would be the same if Stu decided to move Berryland out of Madison to South Lakes. Berryland is in Sully but Madison is Stu's school and so is South Lakes. She would defer to him because they are his schools. That's how they do it.

Of course all of this is moot (pardon the legal expression) if Stu or Kathy lose on Tuesday. All deals are off. John Litzenberger may well fight Stu on taking any of his students from Sully.

BTW why did you vote for the at large people supported by StopRd? Do you want them to stop the redistricting? I know why you voted against Stu, because he has done nothing for South Lakes, or any other Reston or Vienna school.

I find it interesting that Stu brags about his experience on the school board but nowhere does he talk about any accomplishments! Who cares if he has set on the board and other things but has never done anything! How about some results? Some accomplishments? Oh yeh, he has fussed a lot about NCLB too. Not actually changed it in any way, just complained a lot. It would appear that he thinks whining counts as an accomplishment.

Posted by: resource allocation ()
Date: November 04, 2007 08:10AM

Stu Gibson has a lot of extra funding in his schools. Has Hunters Woods outlived it's purpose as a magnet school? It's perpetually overcrowded. Why continue with it? I guess other magisterial district board members don't argue with Gibson or are increasing their funding via FLES-Foreign Language in the Elementary Schools.

Why do 2 neighboring schools in the Reston/Herndon area have Japanese Immersion removing access for entire sections of the county? Why does Kent Gardens [Dranesville] have such a high volume of extra funding? That site is in a nice area of Mclean and in the move to put GT cenetrs back in base schools cannot hold the kids...they will be bussed to Churchill Rd which has a modular.

Why did Hughes and some other schools get IBMSY? Marshall's feeder schools do not have it and some students get the IB diploma. Does South Lakes [and any other IB school] have a class size problem because of the IB program? Does it divert ratioed staff to required higher level courses making the other classes have higher pupil teacher ratios? I don't like it - nor will anyone reboundaried if they realize what is happening and find their kid in larger class sizes than they saw at the prior school.

South Lakes is not surrounded by a vast sea of poverty - it is surrounded by an ocean of AP schools. The South Lakes school facility is a public resource that has been mismanaged by successive school boards. Granted they cannot move people in to only to achieve racial balance but they do have a fiduciary obligation to taxpayers in this county.

Gibson's IB obsession is not shared by people in surrounding schools. It does cost extra money since FCPS pays an outside vendor for courses/curriculum while simultaneously having instructional services people on staff. The best thing he's done was the Madison dialogue on start times- one big fat blockade in that was TJ. Should that drive the engine?

What is the CIP/construction/capacity situation in schools around TJ? Should the TJ program be dispersed between multiple schools expanding it's enrollment?

The main criteria for boundaries should be proximity - fill with the walkers, then areas that border other jurisdictions, then move on from there using existing capacity...change program locations. GT center middle schools need to be dispersed back to base schools. The CIP needs to be reworked without modulars where buildings have not had permanent adjustments to core capacities.

Additions should only be built at schools that are central to their service areas.
One FX county CIP document actually had the Langley addition positioned near Herndon HS on a map --that was in the time period when it went on the bond referendum.

Posted by: VOTER ()
Date: November 04, 2007 08:14AM

Attachments:
hmill.jpg

Date: November 04, 2007 08:15AM

Attachments:
sully.jpg

Posted by: Cricket ()
Date: November 04, 2007 08:25AM

Neen Wrote:
> >>>That's the biggest issue people have regarding
> redistricting -- a plan to move kids all over the
> place just to add to the population of one school
> and reduce the population at another. Just solve
> that problem - move Floris to South Lakes.<<<
>
> EXACTLY!!! That's why Floris and McNair will go
> to South Lakes and everyone else will be left
> alone.

Don't be surprised when this doesn't happen.

Posted by: Another Voter ()
Date: November 04, 2007 11:22AM

VOTER Wrote:
> ....

I am surprised that none of the candidates that stoprd.org supports actually state that they will support a morotorium on redistricting. Do they actually support a morotorium or not? If this group is elected will they immediately launch a new boundary process that is fair and that truly addresses the following?

- Underenrollment at South Lakes (this, in my opinion, is a real problem that must be addressed ASAP)
- Attendance islands
- Disparities in commuting distance that detract from "community" high schools
- Has appropriate socio-economic balance

John Litzenberger http://www.coachlitz.com/issues.shtml#parental

Chris Braunlich http://www.chrisbraunlich.org/issues4.htm

Paul Constantino http://www.paulcostantino.com/index.php

James Raney http://jimraney.com/redistricting.aspx

Posted by: taxpayer - oakton are notes ()
Date: November 04, 2007 11:22AM

http://www.dartmoorwoods.com/smithmeeting.htm

interesting website with info on a 10-18-07 meeting with kathy smith.
one Q & A from smith who seems to not realize Langley and South County are in the same jurisdiction as Oakton/South Lakes, etc:

Many questions and comments were made about people moving here or choosing this neighborhood specifically for the schools. Kathy reiterated that Fairfax County is a dynamic place, and there is no economically feasible way to operate our schools without adjusting boundaries when necessary.

Posted by: Pal ()
Date: November 04, 2007 11:30AM

Why not give Stu the problem of overcrowding at South Lakes? We all saw what happened at McNair. Why can't the area immediately south of Frying Pan Road just east of HWY 28 (currently not developed) and the area to the north of there between Hwy 28 and Centerville Rd to the Tollway? This area has been built up extremily fast and it will continue. Many students will show up from this, This could be McNair fourfold. This area is immediately west of MCNair so in order to prevent an island thus McNair needs to go to South Lakes.

On another note, I experience first hand the negative side of going to a less than stellar school in another state. The classroom distractions, intimidation and threats that occur in unmonitored areas such as locker rooms, bathrooms is something I don't want my kids to go through. I'm sorry if it insults anyone if I want a June and Ward Cleaver education for my kids.

Posted by: Another Voter ()
Date: November 04, 2007 11:37AM

Another Voter Wrote:
> VOTER Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ....
>
> I am surprised that none of the candidates that
> stoprd.org supports actually state that they will
> support a morotorium on redistricting. Do they
> actually support a morotorium or not? If this
> group is elected will they immediately launch a
> new boundary process that is fair and that truly
> addresses the following?
>
> - Underenrollment at South Lakes (this, in my
> opinion, is a real problem that must be addressed
> ASAP)
> - Attendance islands
> - Disparities in commuting distance that detract
> from "community" high schools
> - Has appropriate socio-economic balance

Forgot to add:
- Includes middle schools and at least Madison and Langley High School

>
>
> John Litzenberger
> http://www.coachlitz.com/issues.shtml#parental
>
> Chris Braunlich
> http://www.chrisbraunlich.org/issues4.htm
>
> Paul Constantino
> http://www.paulcostantino.com/index.php
>
> James Raney
> http://jimraney.com/redistricting.aspx

Posted by: StoptheSlander ()
Date: November 04, 2007 11:42AM

Pal Wrote:
> On another note, I experience first hand the
> negative side of going to a less than stellar
> school in another state. The classroom
> distractions, intimidation and threats that occur
> in unmonitored areas such as locker rooms,
> bathrooms is something I don't want my kids to go
> through. I'm sorry if it insults anyone if I want
> a June and Ward Cleaver education for my kids.

When have you ever heard of this happening at South Lakes? It doesn't! It probably happens more at the "stellar" schools than at South Lakes! Your comparisons don't apply. Please refrain from making them.

Posted by: oddities ()
Date: November 04, 2007 12:10PM

> > ...classroom
> > distractions, intimidation and threats that
> occur
> > in unmonitored areas such as locker rooms,
> > bathrooms is something I don't want my kids to
> go
> > through...

And you think it doesn't happen at schools like Langley? That stuff is a function of the administrators and Butler and Co are better than Clendaniel's crew. Last year when students vandalized even Church property for spirit week. Been there seen that...

Get rid of IB and Stu's Expectational Cooking Class and South Lakes should be more than fine. The school board is exercising racial prejudice with this Langley business...the same for the county that had released a CIP with Langley in the wrong place on the map a few years ago. Looked like Herndon. FCPS doesn't even have Woody's or Bowl America Sterling/Herndon on it's driving direction list. Since it has other similar sites, I guess they were puposefully left off or removed so people couldn't get the true picture quickly.

Date: November 04, 2007 03:09PM

Remember the discussion of Linda Jone's lassitude...

Turns out she hasn't gotten a fastpitch coach yet. Winter work outs for most high school teams will start in 6 weeks and the softball team doesn't have a coach, or an assitant or a jv coach. She has the best softball facilities in the County and no coach.

There was a special ed teacher at Langston who's been a varsity assistant coach. What's Linda waiting for Xmas?

Linda used to play softball at SL; maybe she'll coach the team.

Posted by: TOStito ()
Date: November 04, 2007 03:37PM

Thats not anything new. The girls field hockey and lacrosse teams NEVER have a coach. Last spring they asked the jv field hockey coach to also coach lacrosse... she had never played before!!!

Posted by: quantum ()
Date: November 04, 2007 04:07PM

The Post had a wonderful article today on a principal at a small elementary school in Montgomery County with very little support and structure that transformed the academic success rates (by a lot, in fact). How did she do so - by telling the administration to back off, and let her establish ability groups - tracking by any name but very effective. Tracking, of course, is anathema to so many diversicrats but this principal (a black woman who must motor around in an electric chair) just cares about what works as opposed to whose feelings are hurt, She does consistently emphasize the positives and diminish the negatives in a way appropriate to elementary school - my guess is that any similar approach with high school students would have to be more edgy that her elementary school approach. But nevertheless her absolute focus on math and reading fundamentals, and having those fundamentals taught within appropriate ability groups (which makes such common sense - most any teacher teaches to the middle of any class) is what seems to be the driver. My question is this when it comes to public education - do principals like this have to fall from the heavens to get any progress - and why can't school officials adopt this kind of thing immediately, all over. The progress is remarkable - in 2003 the ESOL students went from 8 percent passing in math and science to well over 70 percent in 2007. Why can't we expect the same here in Fairfax, and really, if we get rid of the politically correct shibboleths and get down to business, wouldn't issues like the school redistricting largely go away?

Date: November 04, 2007 04:41PM

TOStito Wrote:
> Thats not anything new. The girls field hockey and
> lacrosse teams NEVER have a coach. Last spring
> they asked the jv field hockey coach to also coach
> lacrosse... she had never played before!!!

Coach English used to have terrific field hockey teams. It was to placate her that Henthorn put the bermuda grass on the baseball field.

Date: November 04, 2007 04:48PM

I know I was referring to the past couple of years. Coach English has been gone for 4 years now.

Date: November 04, 2007 04:55PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> TOStito Wrote:
> -----
> > Thats not anything new. The girls field hockey
> and
> > lacrosse teams NEVER have a coach. Last spring
> > they asked the jv field hockey coach to also
> coach
> > lacrosse... she had never played before!!!
>
> Coach English used to have terrific field hockey
> teams. It was to placate her that Henthorn put
> the bermuda grass on the baseball field.

If my kids do get sent to SL, I assumed that one of the silver linings would be the easier time making the sports teams that require try outs (seems like a pulse is all that's required to be on the football team at Oakton also, but that could be just my interpretation of huge roster). From checking out the SL website, I can't tell if there is freshman boy's lax. I realize that this is something specific to my kids and not really important to anyone else reading the message board, but if anyone happens to know about this, I'd be much obliged.

Date: November 04, 2007 05:06PM

There is a JV and Varsity Boys Lacrosse team. There is no need for a freshman team, the freshmen make JV and the sport is not popular enough yet to require a freshman team. Your kids will make it. If they have youth lacrosse experience, they might even make varsity freshman year.

Date: November 04, 2007 05:08PM

foxmill/carson/oakton parent Wrote:
> if
> there is freshman boy's lax. I realize that this
> is something specific to my kids and not really
> important to anyone else reading the message
> board, but if anyone happens to know about this,
> I'd be much obliged.

All FFX high schools have the same number of teams in each sport. If Oakton has a freshman lax team, so will SL. The only caveat is if there aren't enough SL lax freshman to make up a whole squad in which case the freshman would be on jv.

Date: November 04, 2007 05:56PM

foxmill/carson/oakton parent,

If you want more information regarding the South Lakes Boys Lax team, check out their team website: southlakeslacrosse.org

Posted by: SLHS Padre ()
Date: November 04, 2007 06:08PM

And SLHS head lax coach Matt Blamey is a nice and good young guy. So if you wanted to email him about the program, he'd be happy to speak with you.

Date: November 04, 2007 06:12PM

His email is on the South Lakes lax website, but I think it is coachblamey@southlakeslacrosse.com. Btw: the team is improving but any kid will get a chance to play, esp at JV. Experienced, skilled freshmen tend to make Varsity and there are a number of first-timers (who don't play baseball or soccer at HS) who play JV.

Posted by: wondering mom ()
Date: November 04, 2007 06:33PM

I read with great interest your back and forth dialogs....My kids go to Floris and reading betweeen the lines...there is an "informational" meeting tomorrow at NcNair about the so called "IB" crap. My feeling is that they are trying to prepare us for the inevitable...meaning that the upcoming meetings are just charades Stu and Linda play....I am going to vote on Tuesday and hopefully they will vote them off. One of my neighbors had the "audacity" of calling Stu and inquiry about the boundaries....STU hung up on him!!! He is showing his true colors, and does not deserve to be reelected. I read with great interest the Washington Post article about Hughes Middle....Fairfax County is draining money for a bunch of baloney.

My question to you all is that is Hunter Woods is so great as a magnet school, then why kids go to Rachel Carson instead of Hughes Middle.....Because they know better...it is a terrible school along with South Lakes.

My kids will go to private school if the powers that be determine that Floris should feed into SL!

Date: November 04, 2007 06:49PM

Oh wondering mom, have fun paying for private school when you could have gotten a fine eduation at South Lakes. Way to really look into the issues before making your decision. You're doing your children a wonderful service!

Date: November 04, 2007 06:50PM

Pal:

Move to Bedford Falls.

There are are Eddie Haskells everywhere.

Date: November 04, 2007 07:10PM

Wondering Mom:

Hunters Woods kids go to Carson for the same reason that Sunrise Valley GT kids to Hughes, Kilmer, Jackson, and even Longfellow: that's their neighborhood's pyramid middle school.

When my son finished at Sunrise Valley, it amused me at end-6th grade events when other (non-Hughes) parents would find out he was going to Hughes that there would be an awkward pause -- like when one learns of a deadly illness or a broken marriage -- and even some lamentations. Now he and his fellow SV/Hughes classmates are loving Hughes, and he does not have to avoid the hallways, lunchroom, or after-school stuff. And - hey -- his neighborhood friends that went to Terraset, Dogwood, Lake Anne, Hunters Woods, and home school all are doing the same.

More bad info, but get out your checkbook -- your choice.

Date: November 04, 2007 07:37PM

Attachments:
hmill.jpg
sully.jpg

Posted by: PAL ()
Date: November 04, 2007 10:15PM

Padre,
I have everything Bedford Falls has right here in Oak Hill.

Please vote for C. Arakelian!!!!!

Date: November 04, 2007 11:46PM

Cricket said
>>>Don't be surprised when this doesn't happen.<<<

I won't be surprised if Stu changes his mind, assuming he's in a position where he can do that, with any influence.

It's just my guess that McNair and Floris will go to South Lakes. What is your best guess?

Date: November 04, 2007 11:59PM

Quantum said:

>>>> The Post had a wonderful article today on a principal at a small elementary school in Montgomery County with very little support and structure that transformed the academic success rates (by a lot, in fact). How did she do so - by telling the administration to back off, and let her establish ability groups - tracking by any name but very effective. Tracking, of course, is anathema to so many diversicrats but this principal (a black woman who must motor around in an electric chair) just cares about what works as opposed to whose feelings are hurt, She does consistently emphasize the positives and diminish the negatives in a way appropriate to elementary school - my guess is that any similar approach with high school students would have to be more edgy that her elementary school approach. But nevertheless her absolute focus on math and reading fundamentals, and having those fundamentals taught within appropriate ability groups (which makes such common sense - most any teacher teaches to the middle of any class) is what seems to be the driver. My question is this when it comes to public education - do principals like this have to fall from the heavens to get any progress - and why can't school officials adopt this kind of thing immediately, all over. The progress is remarkable - in 2003 the ESOL students went from 8 percent passing in math and science to well over 70 percent in 2007. Why can't we expect the same here in Fairfax, and really, if we get rid of the politically correct shibboleths and get down to business, wouldn't issues like the school redistricting largely go away?<<<

I urge EVERYONE to read this article. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/03/AR2007110301167.html

We could do this in Fairfax tomorrow were it not for school board members like Stu Gibson and Kathy Smith and their liberal compatriots who do not 'believe in' ability grouping, despite ALL the evidence that it works. They 'feel' that mixed classes are much better, even if that means the teacher must teach to the middle and kids on the low end, and the high end, get left behind.

It's the liberal educrats who refuse to do what works, and continue hold back our most vulnerable students, and prevent their success. Our liberal politicians totally support and agree with them, despite overwhelming evidence against them. Instead, they'd rather get rid of any program, like NCLB, which PROVES we aren't educating these children. They'd rather shoot the messenger than change they the way they teach and help those students who need the most help.

There is NO excuse for Stu Gibson not improving Dogwood and McNair. He has NO excuse for not insisting that those schools use proven methods of educating those children EVEN if the staff doesn't want to use methods that work. Who is more important? The staff? Or the students? For Stu, it's quite clear that nothing is more important than his liberal ideology, even if it fails every child in his district. He should be ashamed of himself for what he's done to our poorest, most vulnerable children, those MOST in need of a REAL education. Shame on him. He could insist that they be educated, but he won't. His ideology prevents it. Disgusting.

Date: November 05, 2007 12:05AM

>>>Kathy reiterated that Fairfax County is a dynamic place, and there is no economically feasible way to operate our schools without adjusting boundaries when necessary.<<<

Oh really? Then why isn't Mount Vernon being redistricted When it has more empty seats (792) than South Lakes? And Falls Church too, which is only 65% occupied and has 692 empty seats?

Why is only South Lakes having forced boundary changes? Why was nothing else considered?

Kathy Smith has got to GO, vote for Litzenberger.

Date: November 05, 2007 12:10AM

>>>>One of my neighbors had the "audacity" of calling Stu and inquiry about the boundaries....STU hung up on him!!!<<<

Just who the heck does Stu Gibson think he works for? Contrary to what he may think, he works for US, the taxpayers and voters of Fairfax county. He is a 'public servant', not a servant of FCPS staff and the educrats. How DARE he hang up on a citizen!!! What a total jerk.

STU GIBSON MUST GO! NOW! WE NEED SOMEONE WHO WILL LISTEN TO PARENTS AND CITIZENS!

VOTE FOR CHRISTINE ARAKELIAN!

Date: November 05, 2007 12:18AM

>>>Why did Hughes and some other schools get IBMSY?<<<

>>>>Why does Kent Gardens [Dranesville] have such a high volume of extra funding<<<

>>>>Why isn't Langley in the South Lakes boundary study?<<<<

>>>>Why is South Lakes having forced boundary changes but not other schools that are even more under enrolled, like Mount Vernon and Falls Church?<<<

Most of these questions, have the same answers, Stu Gibson and Janie Strauss get what they want. They are zealous supporters of staff, ALWAYS, any program that staff wants, no matter how silly, how unproven, or how much parental opposition it faces, Janie and Stu will support it. The favor is returned by staff, Stu and Janie get what they want in their districts. Quid pro quo.

As I've said, deals have been made. That's how it works. Stu, Janie, and Kathy will always get what they want from staff, regardless of what the public wants.

Date: November 05, 2007 12:26AM

>>>GT center middle schools need to be dispersed back to base schools.<<<

Many base middle schools, like Thoreau, have a real problem with this idea because it will mean that their school will be terribly overcrowded. Thoreau could face having 20+ trailers if all the GT students return to Thoreau. If Luther Jackson has NO middle school GT center they will have over 300 empty seats because they built an addition that wasn't necessary, and will sit empty, if they cannot force Vienna GT middle school student to go there. Do we overcrowd Thoreau by hundreds of students or force them to go to Luther Jackson, nowhere near where they live?

At this point, why would anyone in this county have any faith in school population predictions or FCPS redistricting plans? The people of this county would do a FAR better job than our school board and FCPS staff. The voters and taxpayers are much smarter and more competent.

I suppose that is damning with faint praise since no one could be worse at predictions and redistricting than our staff and school board.

Date: November 05, 2007 12:41AM

This is amazing, I urge everyone in Sully district to read it:
http://www.dartmoorwoods.com/smithmeeting.htm

Among other things,
>>>>Madison High School has neighborhoods closer to South Lakes, a longer contiguous border, and is more overcrowded than Oakton, why is Madison not included in the study? This question was asked several times and ways. Kathy essentially stated that this was a staff decision made in July of this year and was a settled issue. Kathy did commit to getting an answer back to our community on this question.<<<

HUH??? Staff's decision? Staff decides?? Does the school board work for staff? Does staff dictate what will be done? Then why do we bother to elect a school board? Why are we electing people to work for staff? Silly me, I was under the impression that staff worked for school board.

>>>Oakton is not overcrowded, why is Oakton involved? A: (by Kathy) Proximity to South Lakes, and the fact that Oakton boundaries sit between Chantilly, Westfield and South Lakes. Staff recommendations to the Board was that Oakton should be included.<<<

Again, STAFF decides. Then I guess we don't need Kathy on the school board.

>>>What about the idea of a magnet school at South Lakes? Why not utilize an incentive such as that as opposed to the boundary process? Kathy stated that the magnet school option was not considered, not clear if it could be funded, was not timely and may not address the problem. Kathy mentioned that a Culinary Arts school was part of South Lakes.<<<<

A magnet school option wasn't considered? Why not? What exactly does the school board DO? It would appear that Kathy has NO impact on anything that is presented by staff.

>>>What about the safety issues at South Lakes? Kathy suggested that we contact the principal or security officer at South Lakes for that information.<<<

What a completely pitiful answer. This woman knows nothing and is responsible for nothing. Can someone tell me why she's on the school board? Who is she representing? It certainly isn't her community.

>>>A question was raised about the transparency of the process, that many issues (such as which schools are involved) were predetermined, meaning that the outcome was essentially predetermined. Kathy responded that the board needed to start somewhere, and relied on staff to do the initial groundwork.<<<

Once again, staff does everything and she just approves it. Good grief. This woman is clueless. She has no idea who she's supposed to be working for, or working at all! This woman needs to be FIRED!!!!

Vote for John Litzenberger. He will know who he works for, YOU!!!! Not staff!!

Date: November 05, 2007 12:58AM

>>>When have you ever heard of this happening at South Lakes? It doesn't! It probably happens more at the "stellar" schools than at South Lakes! Your comparisons don't apply. Please refrain from making them.<<<

Before you tell others to stop stating the truth, you might want to find out what the truth is. Please, do your own comparison of behaviors between South Lakes, Oakton, and Madison:
https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/report.do?division=29&schoolName=1310
https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/report.do?division=29&schoolName=1333
https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/report.do?division=29&schoolName=1368

To check any school profile and report card:
https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

Remember when comparing incidents of weapons, assaults on staff, assaults on students, alcohol and drugs violations, etc, that South Lakes has 1,000 fewer students than Oakton and 600 fewer than Madison, yet their incidents of serious behavioral problems are much higher. Do the math, South Lakes is NOT as safe. It just isn't.

Why do South Lakes fans insist on lying about what goes on at SL, when the facts are so easily obtained? AND then they have the nerve to tell others to shut up about the problems?! It only serves to make South Lakes appear to be filled with people who can't find the facts, or want to ignore them, while insisting that everyone else do the same.

So much for all their "critical thinking skills" they like to brag about. Apparently those thinking skills do include thinking about the facts.

Date: November 05, 2007 01:19AM

Not AS safe does not equal not safe at all. Just because the numbers are higher does not mean all groups of kids are effected equally by the numbers. Ask ANYONE who goes to the school and they will tell you that they fell perfectly safe in the environment. Seriously Neen, you need to sit down and eat a cookie or something. You're a little too worked up for 1am on a Sunday night.

Date: November 05, 2007 01:33AM

"Numbers exist to “prove” almost any thesis. However, a critical reader understands that numbers are not facts"

Any critical readers out there?

Its called understanding the circumstances and facts BEHIND the numbers before making your false claims of knowlege.

Date: November 05, 2007 01:55AM

I'm not too worked up, I'm always like this. hahaha........I object to people telling me to sit down and shut up because they disagree with me. Just a quirk of mine.

I'm not trying to 'prove' anything, just posting sources to the facts about the various schools and safety issues. Parents can make up their own minds.

Parents have a right to know the facts, and then make their own judgments. Anecdotal stories about a certain student feeling safe does not mean that their child will feel safe there, or even comfortable.

I would invite parents to read the factual comparisons then walk the halls of the various schools when school is in session and see how they feel. Do the students look like their son/daughter? Do they speak to each other like their children? They are the best judges of where their child would feel safe and happy.

I was used to TJ where there were students from so many different countries and different backgrounds. Some were preppy, some were total geeks, some knew how to dress, others had no clue. Some were popular, most were not, but all had friends like themselves. There was such variety. There was an honor code and no one worried about leaving their backpack anywhere. I never heard any profanity and saw everyone treat each other with respect. I knew my children would feel comfortable there, and safe.

When I went to Madison, I was shocked at the lack of differences among the students. They all looked alike! But, again, I heard no profanity, and while they didn't have the TJ honor code, theft was not a problem. Spending time there with the students, and walking in the halls, I knew that my children would fit in there too.

Visiting the school when everyone is on their best behavior doesn't help anyone to see a real picture of the school on a day-to-day basis. Nor do anecdotal stories of how happy everyone is at the school.

It's such a shame that we all have choice in everything, except the most important thing, where our children are educated, and how they are educated.

Date: November 05, 2007 03:14AM

"Do the students look like their son/daughter?"

Shame.

Posted by: veritysproxy ()
Date: November 05, 2007 07:35AM

SLVerity is off on a business trip for a few days. I will take it from here:

You, Neen, are a serious,serious racist. Shame on you.

Neen wrote: I would invite parents to read the factual comparisons then walk the halls of the various schools when school is in session and see how they feel. Do the students look like their son/daughter? Do they speak to each other like their children? They are the best judges of where their child would feel safe and happy.

Posted by: hmmm07 ()
Date: November 05, 2007 07:39AM

Here is a question for those familiar with South Lakes? What if my kids are just average, everyday kids? What if they are not IB candidates? At Oakton, they will be able to take some honors level courses that are between the regular course and an AP class. What do they have available to them NOW at South Lakes if they are not the stellar IB type students? A friend of mine taught at South Lakes for 10 years and said she would never send her kids there because it was "all or nothing" in terms of what they would get out of the school academically. She agreed that it was a great place for the IB kids, but the other kids really suffered there from lack of any classes offered that would bridge that gap. Personally, I don't have kids who would be TJ students or get an IB diploma. I have kids who will do well picking and choosing from some AP courses that don't involve a ton of writing. Where will they fit in at South Lakes? And again, my question relates to what is available NOW. If they get more kids they will add more classes, but not immediately. What will happen to the kids that get sent there next year in terms of the courses they have from which to choose?

Posted by: SL Parent ()
Date: November 05, 2007 08:19AM

What you said about all or nothing is true. Unfortunately those in the middle get mixed in with poor performers who take up the teachers class time with remedial needs and disruptions. Maybe that will change someday.

Date: November 05, 2007 09:01AM

hmmm07 Wrote:
> What will happen to the kids that
> get sent there next year in terms of the courses
> they have from which to choose?

My friends with kids in that category confirm your friend's analysis at almost evey high school in FFX which is why I call the FCPS system mediocre.

Specifically at SL, the guidance counselors overload the kids' academic work load. If a kid isn't shooting for Harvard, they don't need four years of science, four years of math, four years of social studies and four years of foreign language. Less than 100 out of 1,400 colleges in the US require that work load in high school. Taking that work load only wears them out and drags down their GPA.[I swear that's their purpose. Just to keep your kid out of the limited slots at Va schools.]

Freshman are going to take biology, algebra I, english, world history, and PE.

I'd stay away from Spanish. A few years ago, one first year spanish class year had 4 different teachers in one year. Naturally, they were lost in Spanish 2. Another class had a teacher who could not speak English. You might look at Latin since its especially good at making up for the deficiencies in grammar from FFX's experiment with "whole language" at the elementary level.

7th period should be for fun but stay away from Film. If you want a nightmare story I'll be happy to relate it. Band and dance are good times.

I'd look at a pre-IB class in your kid's strongest subject.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 09:11AM by Thomas More.

Posted by: Cricket ()
Date: November 05, 2007 09:13AM

Neen Wrote:
> Cricket said
> >>>Don't be surprised when this doesn't
> happen.<<<
>
> I won't be surprised if Stu changes his mind,
> assuming he's in a position where he can do that,
> with any influence.
>
> It's just my guess that McNair and Floris will go
> to South Lakes. What is your best guess?

My first guess is Stu will be gone. My second guess is FLoris will put up a huge fight. My third guess is there are schools on the radar that are alot closer to SL than Floris.

Posted by: word ()
Date: November 05, 2007 09:21AM

Relax, McNair and Floris are too big for South Lakes and McNair's got to go first.

Date: November 05, 2007 09:31AM

word Wrote:
> Relax, McNair and Floris are too big for South
> Lakes and McNair's got to go first.

Does that conclusion include leaving the part of McNair currently going to HHS staying at HHS?

Date: November 05, 2007 09:42AM

Yes

Posted by: taxpayer - 11/12/07 school board meet ()
Date: November 05, 2007 09:49AM

and now there is a school board work session on 11/12/07 on facilities including updated enrollment projections on the West County Boundary study. The meeting managers are the architects of that study - Gibson and Strauss. South Lakes capacity is now 2100.

http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/Public?OpenFrameSet

Based on the statement on the FCPS boundary website regarding square footage Langley should decrease capacity even with the addition. Is it correct that South Lakes added square footage for the art wing but prior to now had shown a reduction in capacity?

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: November 05, 2007 10:00AM

see below - how is the kitchen program facility funded? Is it the part on tomorrpw's bond referendum? What is that new money for at South Lakes? Why did they break ground on Lnagley if they need more money? Is this what most people want done with this school building sized to be an avergae FCPS school located in the middle of AP schools? Who decides this other than Gibson?

Lakes HS Culinary Arts Facility
July 13, 2006, regular meeting
Staff response: Dean Tistadt
#07-01 Please provide any historical precedent for funding capital projects, such as
the South Lakes HS Culinary Arts facility, out of the operating budget.
(Stu Gibson)
T
here have been at least two prior occasions when operating funds were used to construct
facilities to meet academy program requirements.
• The culinary arts facility at the Marshall Academy was funded through operating
funds and Perkins Grant funding over a two year period for a total of $500,000.
The use of operating funds was questioned at that time but the project was allowed
to go forward after the School Board was informed that there was no other
apparent method of funding that would allow the construction to take place in a
timely fashion to serve students.
• During the latter phases of the construction of South County Secondary School , it
was decided that there was sufficient student interest to create an automotive
technology program at that school. The capital project was over budget and could
not afford the $500,000 facility costs for this program. Ultimately, the cost was
split between the project and the academy program’s operating budget.
The same situation now exists at South Lakes High School. The school system’s academy
programs would benefit from the location of a culinary arts program at this school but this
requirement was not part of the scope of work of the renovation. The renovation contract
award exceeded the project’s budget by about $3 million so it is not reasonable to expect
the capital project to fund the culinary arts facility.

Posted by: PAL ()
Date: November 05, 2007 10:02AM

I have a question. If Stu goes after certain higher income neighborhoods to be included in the "new boundary" to South Lakes, obviously there will be an extremily large rate of "no shows" due to moving, transfer or private school option. If he is determined to get this socioeconomic group he will have to include a substantially larger area to offset this attrition.How is this taken into consideration?

Mr. Dale better wake up! This school board is alianating people. When future school bonds start getting voted down, Mr. Dale will be credited with overseeing the first step in the decline of the exceptional Fairfax Public School system.

Date: November 05, 2007 10:09AM

taxpayer - 11/12/07 school board meet Wrote:
> Based on the statement on the FCPS boundary
> website regarding square footage Langley should
> decrease capacity even with the addition. Is it
> correct that South Lakes added square footage for
> the art wing but prior to now had shown a
> reduction in capacity?

The renovation was always understood to reduce capacity by50 kids

Date: November 05, 2007 10:36AM

taxpayer Wrote:
> see below - how is the kitchen program facility
> funded?

Has anyone with FCPS explained why the County needs a third culinary arts program to train kids in minimum wage dead end jobs?

Date: November 05, 2007 12:01PM

Neen Wrote:
> >>>When have you ever heard of this happening at
> South Lakes? It doesn't! It probably happens more
> at the "stellar" schools than at South Lakes! Your
> comparisons don't apply. Please refrain from
> making them.<<<
>
> Before you tell others to stop stating the truth,
> you might want to find out what the truth is.
> Please, do your own comparison of behaviors
> between South Lakes, Oakton, and Madison:
> https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/report.do
> ?division=29&schoolName=1310
> ?division=29&schoolName=1333
> ?division=29&schoolName=1368
>
> To check any school profile and report card:
> https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/
>
> Remember when comparing incidents of weapons,
> assaults on staff, assaults on students, alcohol
> and drugs violations, etc, that South Lakes has
> 1,000 fewer students than Oakton and 600 fewer
> than Madison, yet their incidents of serious
> behavioral problems are much higher. Do the math,
> South Lakes is NOT as safe. It just isn't.
>
> Why do South Lakes fans insist on lying about what
> goes on at SL, when the facts are so easily
> obtained? AND then they have the nerve to tell
> others to shut up about the problems?! It only
> serves to make South Lakes appear to be filled
> with people who can't find the facts, or want to
> ignore them, while insisting that everyone else do
> the same.
>
> So much for all their "critical thinking skills"
> they like to brag about. Apparently those
> thinking skills do include thinking about the
> facts.

Neen,
I know for a fact that a serious incident occurred at Oakton last year, with two kids beating up a third. This was never reported to the police, and did not show up in the statistics, because the principal decided it was unnecessary.

Bruce Butler, on the other hand, reports all incidents. So, the numbers are not everything. They just aren't.

Date: November 05, 2007 12:13PM

SLPP - you can't be serious with this crap. What a shill.

Date: November 05, 2007 12:20PM

Word,
Yes, I just make things up all the time. I've got nothing better to do.

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: November 05, 2007 12:25PM

...this is the thread that will not end.... it just goes on and on my friend..... some people started posting to it, not knowing what it was..... and they will continue posting to it forever just because...

Posted by: SLParent ()
Date: November 05, 2007 01:00PM

I am a SL parent of two students. I am disturbed by some of the comments on this blog about SL. It's not my position to lecture other parents. I understand the concerns and won't pretend to tell you I know what is best for your family.

My children are not afraid to go to school everyday. They are very happy at SLHS and when we discussed moving a couple of years ago absolutely refused because they love SL. They are both active in many sports, don't attend IB courses and are your average kids in everyway.

So if you are reading this post understand that there are proud SLHS parents in the community that are not interested in "converting" your kids. We just want you to know that there is no hidden agenda, we just love the school, teachers, principals and students.

Posted by: chsparent ()
Date: November 05, 2007 01:12PM

SLParent Wrote:
>
> My children are not afraid to go to school
> everyday. They are very happy at SLHS and when we
> discussed moving a couple of years ago absolutely
> refused because they love SL.
>
> So if you are reading this post understand that
> there are proud SLHS parents in the community that
> are not interested in "converting" your kids. We
> just want you to know that there is no hidden
> agenda, we just love the school, teachers,
> principals and students.

Just like my children love THEIR school, teachers, principals and friends and don't want to move either.

Date: November 05, 2007 01:25PM

chsparent Wrote:
> SLParent Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > My children are not afraid to go to school
> > everyday. They are very happy at SLHS and when
> we
> > discussed moving a couple of years ago
> absolutely
> > refused because they love SL.
> >
> > So if you are reading this post understand that
> > there are proud SLHS parents in the community
> that
> > are not interested in "converting" your kids.
> We
> > just want you to know that there is no hidden
> > agenda, we just love the school, teachers,
> > principals and students.
>
>
> Just like my children love THEIR school, teachers,
> principals and friends and don't want to move
> either.

We're not suggesting otherwise. We are just trying to keep the record straight by refuting those that continually bash South Lakes for their own purposes.

Date: November 05, 2007 01:57PM

I think the problem with the statistics are that all SL parents I talk to do not understand why the statistics are higher. All universally have stated that the stats do not reflect their own personal experiences with SL. We are not liars, we just don't see that kind of problem at SL. So maybe we are trying to figure out why this is and the best explanation is that the reporting of incidences vary according to the principals of the schools. We do know that Bruce Butler is reports all incidents. Specific instances of incidents not getting reported at other schools (e.g. Oakton) bolster this view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 01:58PM by South Lakes Pyramid parent.

Posted by: Somewhere in Oak Hill ()
Date: November 05, 2007 02:04PM

It amazes me the rancor and animosity expressed on this blog regarding the school boundaries. I have two children and needless to say, I don't want them to move to a different school because of sports, communities involves, friendships that back several years. Some people LOVE South Lakes, and some people HATE it, regardless of their experiences. My beef is that SL doesn't offer AP courses and that's my preference. The School is just a building, experiences good or bad come from the students themselves. Some have a wonderful time, and others struggle for acceptance...it is in the eye of the beholder.

If more parents are involved in their kids' education and are on top of things, they will thrive no matter how good or bad the school is. Yes, SL have a terrible reputation regardless of how much people defend it, but so does Chantilly. Each school have good kids and bad apples who engaged in gang activity....the solution is prevention, more after school programs. Lots of kids have nothing to do until mom or dad come home and is in the 3-5 timeframe that get in trouble. Like someone said earlier, Oakton's principal decided not to publicize the fight, hence, it doesn't show in the statistics. You cannot trivialize these things, but at the same time, he is trying to portrait a rosy picture of Oakton...too bad.

Good luck to you all....and SL parents: keep up the good work for your kids' sake, maybe other parents will follow suit.

Posted by: chantilly mom ()
Date: November 05, 2007 02:20PM

Somewhere in Oak Hill Wrote:
> It amazes me the rancor and animosity expressed on
> this blog regarding the school boundaries. I have
> two children and needless to say, I don't want
> them to move to a different school because of
> sports, communities involves, friendships that
> back several years. Some people LOVE South Lakes,
> and some people HATE it, regardless of their
> experiences. My beef is that SL doesn't offer AP
> courses and that's my preference. The School is
> just a building, experiences good or bad come from
> the students themselves. Some have a wonderful
> time, and others struggle for acceptance...it is
> in the eye of the beholder.
>
> If more parents are involved in their kids'
> education and are on top of things, they will
> thrive no matter how good or bad the school is.
> Yes, SL have a terrible reputation regardless of
> how much people defend it, but so does Chantilly.
> Each school have good kids and bad apples who
> engaged in gang activity....the solution is
> prevention, more after school programs. Lots of
> kids have nothing to do until mom or dad come home
> and is in the 3-5 timeframe that get in trouble.
> Like someone said earlier, Oakton's principal
> decided not to publicize the fight, hence, it
> doesn't show in the statistics. You cannot
> trivialize these things, but at the same time, he
> is trying to portrait a rosy picture of
> Oakton...too bad.
>
> Good luck to you all....and SL parents: keep up
> the good work for your kids' sake, maybe other
> parents will follow suit.

Chantilly has a bad reputation?

since when?

That high school was named one of the best in the country a few years back... so what's changed?

My children attend chantilly and I couldn't be happier with the staff, the principal and their education....

I would really like you to be more specific about their reputation

Posted by: somewhere in Oak Hill ()
Date: November 05, 2007 02:37PM

Perhaps you should talk to your kids....or engage in a conversation with your neighbors whose kids go to Chantilly. You would be amazed at the "information" you can get. hint: gang activity. We are not talking about the teachers or the principal here. It is the extracurricular activities some of the student engaged, some of it at the hallways and locker rooms. Like I mentioned earlier, each school has good students and some bad apples, and Chantilly is not the exception.

Date: November 05, 2007 02:46PM

Somewhere in Oak Hill,
Please come to the boundary meetings and express your preference for AP. There will certainly be many like you, and if the powers that be get enough of a push from the communities involved, include SL, it will be harder for them to ignore. It would be great if SL could have both IB and AP--why not?

Posted by: somewhere else ()
Date: November 05, 2007 02:57PM

somewhere in Oak Hill Wrote:
> Perhaps you should talk to your kids....or engage
> in a conversation with your neighbors whose kids
> go to Chantilly. You would be amazed at the
> "information" you can get. hint: gang activity.
> We are not talking about the teachers or the
> principal here. It is the extracurricular
> activities some of the student engaged, some of it
> at the hallways and locker rooms. Like I
> mentioned earlier, each school has good students
> and some bad apples, and Chantilly is not the
> exception.

I'd like to know where you got your information. I spoke with the head of security at CHS and he told me that there is no gang activity at either Chantilly or Oakton.

Date: November 05, 2007 03:06PM

South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:
> Somewhere in Oak Hill,
> Please come to the boundary meetings and express
> your preference for AP. There will certainly be
> many like you, and if the powers that be get
> enough of a push from the communities involved,
> include SL, it will be harder for them to ignore.
> It would be great if SL could have both IB and
> AP--why not?

Be prepared to be told that SL is too small to have both (compare enrollment with Robinson); to hear more promises about adding AP course (provided they are not redudant of IB, which means very few AP courses); and to hear Goodman say that FCPS will not get rid of IB. FCPS has paid too much money to Zurich for central staff to walk away from IB at SL. That means we may have to get rid of Butler, Goodman and Dale to rid of IB at SL. After we get rid of Stu.

However, since SL was never consulted about IB it reasonable for a plebicite to be held on this issue either before or after the boundary issue is resolved.

Date: November 05, 2007 03:09PM

somewhere else Wrote:
> I'd like to know where you got your information.
> I spoke with the head of security at CHS

You spoke to an FCPS employee who is beholden to the principal for their job.

Talk to the SRO who is the police officer on campus all day. That person reports to the local precinct captain and isn't trying to protect the school's image.

Date: November 05, 2007 03:12PM

I think a side by side comparison chart of the Safety and Security data is in order here.

Posted by: Curious ()
Date: November 05, 2007 03:43PM

word Wrote:
> I'd like to know where you got your information.
> I spoke with the head of security at CHS

You spoke to an FCPS employee who is beholden to the principal for their job.

Talk to the SRO who is the police officer on campus all day. That person reports to the local precinct captain and isn't trying to protect the school's image.

> I think a side by side comparison chart of the Safety and Security data is in order here.

Good idea....I just checked it myself...very interesting. However, the last date posted was for the 2005-2006 school year...so what happened to 06-07?

It was reported some serious incidents in both Oakton and Chantilly, although not as many as SL....so Chantilly mom: check the charts. I agreed with More...you will never get a straight answer with the powers that be unless you check with the patrols. It happened at Westfield too.

Posted by: FSLP ()
Date: November 05, 2007 04:01PM

I can't wait for my kids to go to South Lakes - I think all this talk of security logs and perception of safety is racist. What is really the problem here? Do you want your kids to go to school where everyone looks like them - how long can you keep them in that bubble. Take a look at the real world.

Date: November 05, 2007 04:19PM

FSLP Wrote:
> I can't wait for my kids to go to South Lakes - I
> think all this talk of security logs and
> perception of safety is racist. What is really
> the problem here?

I'm trying to keep an open mind and educate myself about the pros and cons of going to Sl, if indeed that's what happens. Many parents in my neighborhood/schools are doing the same. To the extent that we'd rather not have our boundaries changed, it doesn't mean that we are racist. If you've ever been to Carson, then you know that it's a real mix, less than 60% white. Fox Mill is about 62%. It's not just white parents who would rather not be moved. Personally, I'm not that concerned that my kids will get beat up or whatever, but that doesn't mean that parents who have that concern are racist. A small portion may be, but please don't jump to conclusions.

>Do you want your kids to go to
> school where everyone looks like them

I'll save someone the trouble of pointing out that the diversity at Fox Mill/Carson isn't the same blend as the diversity at SL. Yes, we know, but my point is the kids don't all look alike.

>how long can you keep them in that bubble. Take a look at
> the real world.

Aren't we living in the real world now, or is that just the people in Reston (besides the rich ones who go to Langley, which I assume is also not real).

From what I've gathered, race relations at SL sound pretty decent. Don't play the race card.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 04:26PM by foxmill/carson/oakton parent.

Date: November 05, 2007 04:26PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:
> -----
> > Somewhere in Oak Hill,
> > Please come to the boundary meetings and
> express
> > your preference for AP. There will certainly
> be
> > many like you, and if the powers that be get
> > enough of a push from the communities involved,
> > include SL, it will be harder for them to
> ignore.
> > It would be great if SL could have both IB and
> > AP--why not?
>
> Be prepared to be told that SL is too small to
> have both (compare enrollment with Robinson); to
> hear more promises about adding AP course
> (provided they are not redudant of IB, which means
> very few AP courses); and to hear Goodman say
> that FCPS will not get rid of IB. FCPS has paid
> too much money to Zurich for central staff to walk
> away from IB at SL. That means we may have to get
> rid of Butler, Goodman and Dale to rid of IB at
> SL. After we get rid of Stu.
>
> However, since SL was never consulted about IB it
> reasonable for a plebicite to be held on this
> issue either before or after the boundary issue is
> resolved.

OK, Tom, we get it. All I'm saying is that if many parents come to the boundary meetings and express preference for AP, I think it will make a difference. Call me naive, but this is what I think. It certainly can't hurt to try.

Date: November 05, 2007 04:48PM

South Lakes Pyramid parent Wrote:
> OK, Tom, we get it. All I'm saying is that if
> many parents come to the boundary meetings and
> express preference for AP, I think it will make a
> difference. Call me naive, but this is what I
> think. It certainly can't hurt to try.

I sorry SLPP if you think I went overboard. Just saying please will not be nearly enough.

Date: November 05, 2007 04:50PM

Let's start with this chart, serious incidents per 1000 students.
Attachments:
1.jpg

Date: November 05, 2007 05:14PM

word Wrote:
> Let's start with this chart, serious incidents per
> 1000 students.

First, most of these years were under the prior regime, Railly actually wrote in a report that was sent to the School Board that SL was a school riven with criminal activity. That's not what the SRO reported to their captain. And you wondered why we hated her.

There have been three SROs at SL since my kids went there. I have the SRO's names if you want to talk to them. You could also talk to the SRO at Hughes who is familiar with the situation at SL.

Second, remember, before SL, Railly had been the principal at Pimmit Hills which is where the high school miscreants of FCPS re sent. So she was predisposed to see all teenagers, 90% of whom were taller than her, as a physical threat. She prohibited all hats because "kids might hide razors in the bill of the cap."

The woman was a wack job. Yet STu and Goodman kept her there for 7 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 05:14PM by Thomas More.

Posted by: Concerned Rachel Carson Parent ()
Date: November 05, 2007 05:23PM

word Wrote:
> Let's start with this chart, serious incidents per
> 1000 students.

Can you give a link to the source of the data? I tried http:/fcps.edu and could not easily find the data shown. Assuming the data is accurate (no under reporting involved, which has already been called into question for Oakton) it looks like Oakton, Chantilly, Westfield, Herndon, and South Lakes are trending more dangerous. Only Madison is trending the other way. When will the stats for 2006-07 become available?

Pages: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 189

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.