HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
2020-2021 School year- reduced pay? FCPS
Posted by: Fcps tax payers ()
Date: May 21, 2020 10:04AM

I am wondering what is on the table budgetwise? I am sure I will get blasted for asking. I am the first to support substantial teacher payraises during normal times, and I am forgiving of teachers you due to childcare are doing a mediocre job, but we know kids will do some distance learning next school year now. We can prepare. I suspect over half of teachers are not working their normal number of hours, so for next school year I am wondering if they will reduce salaries temporarily to avoid just laying off some teachers. I reduced my work hours to be able to homeschool to make up for so much my kids are missing and to help them navigate those classes that are poorly executed. If I am now making less money to do someone else's job for free with my kids, I don't think most teachers should get full salary especially if half the school year is distance learning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2020-2021 School year- reduced pay? FCPS
Posted by: j7ngk ()
Date: May 21, 2020 10:11AM

If there is distance learning this fall I will either move to a state that has in-classroom learning or home-school. Zoom education is shit. Worthless shit.

Posted by: Harsh Reality ()
Date: May 21, 2020 10:21AM

99.9 % chance that any Virginia teachers, who are full time state employees, get any pay reductions. If things are really bad then maybe some part time positions are eliminated or there is a temporary hiring freeze for new teachers.

Posted by: kinda in the know ()
Date: May 21, 2020 10:36AM

Not happening. They're leaning towards opening schools in late September, with a rotating schedule. Students will go in every other day or every 3rd day. Since they need 6 days to make this feasible, they're also looking at half day Saturday classes. Teachers will be expected to be in the classrooms to offer both teaching to everyone to a lesser extent than the current curriculum and extra support to those who are falling behind. Classrooms will be limited to 10 - 12 students so that's why they need to move to A-B-C-D-E-F day schedules (e.g. Monday is an "A Day", Tuesday is a "B Day", etc). Teachers in high risk categories will be provided other alternatives if possible.

Posted by: Let’s open up ()
Date: May 21, 2020 11:43PM

Everyone knows the risks, if you want to send your kid in, send them. If not the class should also be on Zoom. I guarantee 70%+ kids would go in person and after a month we’d be around 90%.

I think they should issue pay cuts for distance learning, not because I want my family’s income to go down (spouse is a teacher) but because that is the only way we get back to school. Telling a group they get full pay for half the hours and they will largely embrace it. Tell them it’s half pay and they’ll sing a different tune.

Only factor we need to mitigate is for at risk teachers.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.