HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Six years ago we had the the great Ohio Valley-Mid-Atlantic derecho. Where were you that night?
Posted by: Weather Vein ()
Date: June 30, 2018 08:44AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Six years ago we had the the great Ohio Valley-Mid-Atlantic derecho. Where were you that night?
Posted by: Weather Veins Mom ()
Date: July 01, 2018 08:56PM

I remember that night well. I as in the backseat of my car getting a blowjob from your mom

Re: Six years ago we had the the great Ohio Valley-Mid-Atlantic derecho. Where were you that night?
Posted by: HA HA HA ()
Date: July 01, 2018 09:01PM

Weather Veins Mom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember that night well. I as in the backseat
> of my car getting a blowjob from your mom

Ha ha ha, that’s funny as shit, not really

Posted by: Standing On My Deck Watching ()
Date: July 01, 2018 09:07PM

It was a really wild ride, After 2 minutes I knew it was not a normal storm, the way it was hitting. My trees held firm, I was quite relived no damage to my property. Had a mini one a couple weeks ago it was bad but not like the famed derecho of June 2012

Posted by: C ()
Date: July 02, 2018 03:49AM

That storm sucked. It knocked out power to over a million people in the DC area alone.

Posted by: CMJU3 ()
Date: July 02, 2018 07:12AM

And knocked out Fairfax County's 911 system as well.

Posted by: at home ()
Date: July 02, 2018 09:34AM

At home making our first kid with my wife.

Posted by: chinchilla ()
Date: July 02, 2018 10:10AM

I was watching t.v. in the bedroom and dozing off. My husband had told me to keep an eye on the weather channel but I was tired and wasn't feeling too concerned about it.

Next thing I knew I heard howling winds and the sounds of debris being whipped around outside. We grabbed the kids, went downstairs and the power went off. We were truly worried that a tree was going to come down on the house.

Woke up the next morning with the power still out, looked outside and it was like a bomb had gone off in the neighborhood - chewed up tree branches, leaves and debris everywhere. A house down the street had a tree fall on it and had literally been cut in half. Crazy.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: July 02, 2018 02:22PM

Ft Campbell, Ky

Friend of mine was texting me during the storm

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: July 02, 2018 04:55PM

Looked outside to see the strange winds blowing so strongly that trees were bending over.

Never lost power or internet. It was a few days later that I went to make a phone call on my landline and realized that I had no dial tone.

Posted by: VYVCB ()
Date: July 02, 2018 05:40PM

It happened during the daytime. In the afternoon, if I recall correctly.

Posted by: Topper ()
Date: July 02, 2018 06:32PM

VYVCB Wrote:
> It happened during the daytime. In the afternoon,
> if I recall correctly.

From what I remember it was like 10-11pm at night.

Posted by: It Was About 8 Pm ()
Date: July 02, 2018 11:03PM

Still light out before dusk

Posted by: DFDMF ()
Date: July 03, 2018 12:35AM

I also recall it being around 8:00ish. I was driving west down 50-29 going to the airport. The sky was dark and there was incredible winds and rain and thunder. When I turned onto 28 north, I saw where the derecho had passed. There must have been tornados spawned off it, because cars were strewn all over 28, tossed into ditches and guardrails at odd angles, etc. About 90 minutes later while I was at the airport, another wave came through with incredible power.

Back in my neighborhood of Falls Church, lots of massive trees had fallen and crushed/bisected houses. Power was out for 20 miles around, and most main and side roads were impassable due to trees and wires down. It took a really, really long time to get home, wandering around trying to find an open path.

Posted by: BLMUX ()
Date: July 03, 2018 06:35AM

Posted by: cheekman ()
Date: July 03, 2018 07:13AM

It's weather dude...

Posted by: Jey4u ()
Date: July 03, 2018 11:54AM

It had already passed by 9:00
The way I know is that my airport appointment was at 9:
00 and it passed well before I got there. Maybe it hit DC at 9:00.
However iz it likely that the storm arrived at exactly 9:00?

More likely FAKE NEWS from the masters at WaPo....just making up thd time.

Posted by: Nope.. ()
Date: July 03, 2018 12:45PM

Jey4u Wrote:
> It had already passed by 9:00
> The way I know is that my airport appointment was
> at 9:
> 00 and it passed well before I got there. Maybe
> it hit DC at 9:00.
> However iz it likely that the storm arrived at
> exactly 9:00?
>
> More likely FAKE NEWS from the masters at
> WaPo....just making up thd time.

I remember it happening right before the 11 o,clock news.
I just looked at the weather history for 6/29/12.
On the wind chart it shows a big spike between 10-10:30 pm
I remember the power going out and missing the news at 11
It was after 10pm and before 11pm
The weather history and the WP has no reason to lie, Trump was still New York’s problem then.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/KDCA/date/2012-6-29

Posted by: remember it 2 ()
Date: July 03, 2018 12:59PM

Nope.. Wrote:
> Jey4u Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It had already passed by 9:00
> > The way I know is that my airport appointment
> was
> > at 9:
> > 00 and it passed well before I got there.
> Maybe
> > it hit DC at 9:00.
> > However iz it likely that the storm arrived at
> > exactly 9:00?
> >
> > More likely FAKE NEWS from the masters at
> > WaPo....just making up thd time.
>
> I remember it happening right before the 11
> o,clock news.
> I just looked at the weather history for 6/29/12.
> On the wind chart it shows a big spike between
> 10-10:30 pm
> I remember the power going out and missing the
> news at 11
> It was after 10pm and before 11pm
> The weather history and the WP has no reason to
> lie, Trump was still New York’s problem then.
>
> https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/KDCA/da
> te/2012-6-29

Yeah, I was at a hotel in fredericksburg that night and It hit there at a little after 10pm. The hotel lost power for about 3 hours.

Posted by: wfc ()
Date: July 03, 2018 01:10PM

It Was About 8 Pm Wrote:
> Still light out before dusk

It was definitely after dusk, i went out on my porch a few minutes before it hit and remember it was dark skies. i think it was a few minutes past nine when it barreled through west falls church.

standing outside was a dumb idea, btw, the wind hit so hard it blew dust and dirt into my eyes.

Posted by: Dominion lineman ()
Date: July 03, 2018 02:22PM

Definitely after 10pm. I was called in when they saw it coming on radar.
I don’t care for Doug Kammerer on channel 4 but he nailed this one. He was one of the first ones to use the name Derecho.

Posted by: close but no ceegar ()
Date: July 03, 2018 02:41PM

Dominion lineman Wrote:
>
> I don’t care for Doug Kammerer on channel 4 but
> he nailed this one. He was one of the first ones
> to use the name Derecho.

“The word was first used in the American
Meteorological Journal in 1888 by Gustavus
Detlef Hinrichs in a paper describing the
phenomenon and based on a significant derecho
event that crossed Iowa on 31 July 1877.”

Posted by: Dominion lineman ()
Date: July 03, 2018 03:12PM

close but no ceegar Wrote:
> Dominion lineman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > I don’t care for Doug Kammerer on channel 4
> but
> > he nailed this one. He was one of the first
> ones
> > to use the name Derecho.
>
> “The word was first used in the American
> Meteorological Journal in 1888 by Gustavus
> Detlef Hinrichs in a paper describing the
> phenomenon and based on a significant derecho
> event that crossed Iowa on 31 July 1877.”

Allow me to clarify myself, Doug Kammerer was the first local tv weather person to use the term Derecho for this weather event in this area at that time. While we were waiting to be dispatched, he was doing news break ins and was talking about the Derecho before it got here. I know he isn’t smart enough to come up with a worldwide weather term without getting it from some place else. Please forgive me for not being clear with my response.

Posted by: gwyxw ()
Date: July 03, 2018 07:13PM

It was not that big a deal in our neighborhood. This spring's windstorm and Hurricane Isabel were both far worse.

Posted by: chinchilla ()
Date: July 03, 2018 08:29PM

Hurricane Isabel nailed my neighborhood harder than the Derecho. We lost both power and water with that storm. Not having power sucks but not having water is awful, you can't take a shower, you can't even flush the toilet. Thankfully we knew that Isabel was coming and we were able to stock up on food, put gas in the cars, and I filled up our bathtub with water. When we lost power we were able to use the water in our tub to flush our toilets.

The derecho just came out of nowhere. I had never even heard of one and I had been through a million thunderstorms in Fairfax County so I wasn't really paying attention to the weather people. That thing took us by surprise. Knocked out power not only to our house but to the stores and also the gas stations - which sucked if you were low on gas and had to get somewhere.

Posted by: Lincolnia area ()
Date: July 03, 2018 08:49PM

The thing I remember the most besides the power being out was the heat. It was hot as hell. Upper 90's and 100's. The power was out at all the stores around here. Traffic lights out and accidents at all the intersections. After spending the day around the house in the heat I said screw this and went looking for a hotel room. I lucked out and got the last room at the Comfort Inn at 236 & 395. We spent the night with the ac cranking and got a free breakfast at IHOP in the morning.

Posted by: PG Co Resident ()
Date: July 06, 2018 10:51PM

No power for a week in PG County. I slept with a loaded gun every night, just like I do when the power is on.

Posted by: Must be a shame ()
Date: July 06, 2018 10:56PM

PG Co Resident Wrote:
> No power for a week in PG County. I slept with a
> loaded gun every night, just like I do when the
> power is on.

...to live in fear like that. Join the rest of the country, son--live a normal life.

Posted by: Not proud but alive ()
Date: July 06, 2018 11:43PM

I had to kill a man over the last bag of ice at a 7-11.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.