HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567891011AllNext
Current Page: 4 of 11
Re: Remey Tomb/Crypt
Posted by: The Observer ()
Date: March 11, 2010 07:34PM

A great thread, with a great piece of local history which has been all but forgotten.

As much as I would like to see the Remey Crypts excavated and restored,unless someone can convince the landowner(s) to allow it I'm afraid all the digging and otherwise unauthorized explorations are exercises in futility. The law is very clear on the property rights of landowners, and it is without regard to any implied or imagined historical value of their property.

Also, be aware that because the recent activity has not gone unnoticed, we may expect that just as soon as the crypt is breached (assuming it is still intact to any degree where it actually can be), access will come to an abrupt halt and the landowner, the county, or SOMEONE will call in a demolition team and finally implode the place and put an end to the speculation and digging forever.

So, where does that leave us? The only viable option, if there is enough interest and resources, is to negotiate a deal, either a lease or purchase, for the land.

If the structure is indeed mostly intact, and if there really is enough historical significance this could be feasable.

Citizen and corporate donors might be willing to pay $20 to hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a brick or plaque engraved with their name in a highly visible place at the facility.

Maybe not. Just sayin'...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Woodland Res ()
Date: March 11, 2010 07:48PM

if the police really have made this a big issue of theirs, that is pretty sad. its a shame that they are going to take the fun out of all of this. everyone has been extremely mature with their posts and this has been one of the best threads ever.

Posted by: tree ()
Date: March 11, 2010 07:52PM

Just found this thread, interesting stuff-

Interesting hearing the history of the "Remeum". It's interesting to see his idea and attempts to preserve his legacy and Family history. Not many people would go to the lengths of spending almost an entire fortune creating a giant memorial like the whole Remeum complex. He even did it pretty young in his life, he was even still alive to see it demolished. What was he thinking, spend what, was it 2 mill. in 1939 or 49 on a crazy amount of bricks and labor. Then see the property turn into a place where kid's went to do illegal things. Then see the property destroyed because it's become too much of a nuisance. What a vision! Well at least Remey's project brought a few tons of business to whoever sold bricks back then.

But ultimately we must realize that there are better way's to become immortalized. Remey would be better remembered if he spent that money in philanthropic ways and got a normal grave like the rest of us. That would be a better investment, help people out, leave a better appreciation and opinion of the man. Seems like a good situation all around.

The Remeum as we know it today is a Monument and Crypt honoring bad idea's that ultimately fail. May the idiotic ideas of people gone before us find their resting place deep beneath the soil, never to be disturbed again.

Posted by: Officer Friendly of the FFXPD ()
Date: March 11, 2010 09:11PM

DiamondD-REK, we are also keeping an eye on you son. Keep it legal.

Posted by: Hip ()
Date: March 11, 2010 09:20PM

Visited the Remeum to check out the rumors of the No Trespassing signs. Does not look good for future exploring.
Attachments:
IMG_2982v4.jpg

Posted by: Jimbo ()
Date: March 11, 2010 10:59PM

Geez,

I sure would hate to finally get back inside there and then have to hide from the cops in the dark again.

Staking out the crypts was not a high priority for the police back when it was being used for booze & drugs. It is probably less a priority now, now that it is inaccessible and police department budgets are hurting along with everyone else's.

If someone just HAD to go and try to get in there, despite warnings of trespassing, he would have to do it at night (probably over many nights). The progress could easily be monitored by the authorities during the day. When it appeared that a successful entry was near, they could send someone to catch that person. Who knows? Someone could go to Dick's Sporting Goods and get one of those motion sensor cameras that attach to trees and set it near the work site so the scofflaw could be caught on camera (better wear a mask). It sounds riskier than it's worth, but if successful, the entire Crypt Forum would surely be impressed!I am not condoning this project, merely stating that a successful documented entry would be the acme of ninja studliness.

Posted by: sigh ()
Date: March 12, 2010 12:18AM

we're obviously being trolled -- some pansy who apparently didn't get stuffed into a locker enough times in high school is feeling a little inadequate.

but the fact remains that those code sections could be interpreted to apply. most likely any judge would throw it out since the whole thing is harmless, but it'd still be a pain in the ass.

Posted by: The Sculler ()
Date: March 12, 2010 07:42AM

I'm kind of conflicted. If there was a way to approach the church with a proposal to have the Remeum excavated so that there was something in it for them, maybe that would work. If someone was able to convince the church that it was in the interest of preserving/rediscovering part of this county's history, there's a slim chance they might go for it. But as someone already stated earlier, with the county's budget being the way it is, it all comes down to money - and the lack there of. Unless there's someone out there who's feeling REALLY generous and has some to time to kill doing some SERIOUS lobbying, I just don't see it happening. But if it was done right, it would be the optimal situation.
As I've said before (LONG before all the trolls showed up), there are one too many narrow-minded pencil pushers working for the county that wouldn't approve at all of people being out there. So we're just supposed to forget about this incredible piece of history right in our backyard, and settle for looking at pictures of it in the Virginia Room? How is that fair? We just want to appreciate it, the same way people like to appreciate Mount Vernon. Has anyone ever seen the picture of Mount Vernon before it was properly restored? It looked like it was on the verge of being condemned, and look at it now! (Yes, I realize the Remeum is NOT Mount Vernon, but work with me here) What if someone had just said "Oh, no. That house is too far gone and dangerous for people to be walking around in, just level it."?
Our sense of adventure might get in the way of our common sense every now and then, but in the end we're just looking to appreciate what was once there, and that's difficult to do when it's buried under about 15 feet of dirt. I don't think Mount Vernon would rake in all that cash if all that remained of it was some stones from the foundations.
I can't help but get a little pissed off thinking that there's a fat fuck out there behind a desk that would tell me the only way I can appreciate this history is to fork up an impossible amount of money.

Posted by: Old Guy ()
Date: March 12, 2010 09:56AM

Awesome thread. But funny that all this fuss is over a structure that's 50-60 years old. I have furniture older than that.

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: March 12, 2010 10:08AM

You can always park in the church parking lot and take a stroll on the church grounds. Up near the actual church there are some really old graves, I want to say one was from the revolutionary war but I don't remember since it has been so long since I was up there. At that point you would not be trespassing and you could probably take a walk out to the graveyard and see if the signs are posted. I can see the church not wanting us back there, the last time people could get in this place it turned into party central. Those of us posting here have no desire to destroy/deface the place but as soon as word gets out that there is a way in you can bet there will be all kinds of people out there trying to get in. Sounds like it might be time to head on over to Huntley Meadows and let the Remeum cool down for a while.

We need more info on this slave dungeon, at Huntley Meadows park is a little vague to just go wandering around out there. Was it built out of brick, cement, any info you can find would be great.

Date: March 12, 2010 10:16AM

Scouting for signs while trying to look as academic as possible isn't a bad idea.

As far as the Slave Dungeons are concerned, I found nothing on them when I searched the internet. Plus,that park is way too big to just start strolling around aimlessly. We're gonna need more reliable info. before embarking on that adventure.

Posted by: FFXPD ()
Date: March 12, 2010 02:15PM

The church is concerned with folks parking in the lot that are not on church business. As a result of that, we will be enforcing the parking lot and writing tickets on vehicles that don't belong there.

Date: March 12, 2010 02:21PM

Thanks for the heads up. Now we know where not to park.

Posted by: FFXUPD ()
Date: March 12, 2010 03:16PM

Hi this is officer Fist Mcbutt from the Fairfax underground police dept., and anyone not caught digging up the crypt will be anally prosecuted.

Posted by: oddly enough ()
Date: March 12, 2010 03:42PM

There actually *is* an Officer Butt working for the FCPD.

Posted by: DiamondD-REK ()
Date: March 12, 2010 06:30PM

yo, i was at the Remeum entrance (not 91, the entrance to the path in the woods), and THERE IS a "no tresspassing" sign. It looks to have been posted by the church, and it was not there this past saturday. Either someone is stalking this thread, or someone in the rector's house saw people strolling through the woods. Either way, I suggest a halt to Remeum adventures until we can figure this out.

As others have said, we don't want to attract too much attention at one time. Also, I agree that this a low priority for the police, but we need to tread lightly since the church (at least) has been alerted to our presence in the woods.

Posted by: tyrone ()
Date: March 12, 2010 06:44PM

Everyone invloved-don't go there, we dont want then to mess this up, we only have one chance

Posted by: Anonymous fan of Thread ()
Date: March 12, 2010 10:19PM

This thread rocks, and I don't think you could get locked up for trespassing just to visit the site. It is, after all, listed on the Fairfax County Webpage, and people travel all over the original 13 colonies to see old graves, etc. Digging is another story. I loved seeing the photobucket slide shows, and I admire your daring, but I'd be concerned about it getting traced back to you.

My friend who told me about huntley meadows said that they informed the park authority about the slave dungeon at some point, and unless it was leveled, I'd imagine it's out there somewhere, but you're right about nothing on the internet. When I googled huntley meadows dungeon, there was a conspiracy theory page that thought a coast gaurd GPS was a prison for al queda, but it was about it.

If you are visiting the site, don't bring a shovel. No harm in looking...just disavow knowledge of this thread.

If you are intent on digging, invest in night vision goggles and plan to hide your work, because as someone mentioned earlier, they might just toss TNT into it this time. It sucks, but it's on church property, so they can do almost anything they want with it.

Perhaps it could be protected as a historical site, given the importance of it's designer. If you contacted a local BaHai temple, they might be supportive of it, since CMR was a big whig in that religion, until he caused a schism anyhow.

That's all for now. The only other cool places around might be at Ft. Hunt park, where they interrogated german POWs. We used to go there on field trips, and dare each other how deep into the bunkers we would go. Might be something there too, but I wouldn't dare dig on federal park land. A shovel or even metal detector is liable to get you fined or jailed. I guess amateur archaeology is frowned upon at the moment.

Anyhow, keep the thread active, and post any new developments...it's too damn interesting not to keep after.

Posted by: G ()
Date: March 12, 2010 11:16PM

seems to me the church went to great length & expense over the decades to literally bury this part of their past, and they're not going to welcome anyone poking around back there, much less digging.

DiamondD-REK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yo, i was at the Remeum entrance (not 91, the
> entrance to the path in the woods), and THERE IS a
> "no tresspassing" sign. It looks to have been
> posted by the church, and it was not there this
> past saturday. Either someone is stalking this
> thread, or someone in the rector's house saw
> people strolling through the woods.

umm that was all noted a couple days ago and dismissed as trolling... I guess some of the Indiana Jones wannabes are a little slow.

Posted by: quickThought ()
Date: March 13, 2010 12:26AM

The Sculler Wrote:

> I'm sure those who've been contributing to this
> thread would love to continue providing everyone
> with updates and results. But if the Church and
> the County were asked to participate or aid in
> these explorations, that's a sure-fire way to STOP
> GETTING RESULTS AND UPDATES. As long as everyone
> remains safe, non-destructive and descrete, I
> don't see why anyone should have a concern as to
> what's going on out there.

good call lol

Date: March 13, 2010 04:29PM

We have some recorded film from a surveillance camera placed at the scene. We are reviewing the film and matching faces with our database. Charges may be pending.

Posted by: bored? ()
Date: March 13, 2010 04:38PM

Ha! isnt their some *real* crime you should be investigating??

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: March 13, 2010 05:52PM

bored? Wrote:
> Ha! isnt their some *real* crime you should be
> investigating??

As disappointed as I am not to find out what's really down there, someone misusing YOUR property is a real crime. And Pohick Church deserves the same protection YOU do.

Posted by: TheObserver ()
Date: March 14, 2010 01:36PM

As much as I highly doubt the FFXPD would tell people in an online forum that they are watching you, I do think we should all be a little more careful about what we are doing there. Perhaps, like others have suggested it would be a good idea to bring the church or the Remey family in on this? I mean, someone might be able to ask the church if maybe we can have one weekend or something to explore at our own cost and then when we're done, leave everything the way we found it? That way we get what we want and their property rights are respected. Perhaps someone here knows someone who works at a construction company that does underground work and may have access to the radar that they use to scan underground before digging?

Date: March 14, 2010 02:24PM

We have access to many things, including your IP address. Tread lightly, stay legal.

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: March 14, 2010 05:24PM

FFXPD Wrote
[various stupid things]

C'mon, nobody thinks you're a police man, just that it's pathetic that you think you're messing with people on a forum. Please desist - you're spamming.

By the way, impersonating a police officer *is* a crime. And the moderators have YOUR IP address.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 01:24AM by Spacy.

Posted by: RotnRik ()
Date: March 14, 2010 07:18PM

"FFXPD 0": the 'NO TRESPASSING' signs didn't stop us in the '70s, good luck with your surveillance! DON'T SHOOT ANYBODY! The Crypts (THREAT OF PAGANS & MUCH LESS, THE COPS) was one true THRILL of my childhood. The last entrance I found was about 1/2 way down the south wall at the top edge of the site, that was in the early '80s. ONE LEVEL was all we ever found. WE WERE JUST KIDS HAVIN' FUN, MAN THAT JOINT WAS COOL!!!!!...RotnRik...BURKE BROS...

Date: March 15, 2010 06:57AM

DiamondD-REK Wrote:
> yo, i was at the Remeum entrance (not 91, the
> entrance to the path in the woods), and THERE IS a
> "no tresspassing" sign. It looks to have been
> posted by the church, and it was not there this
> past saturday. Either someone is stalking this
> thread, or someone in the rector's house saw
> people strolling through the woods. Either way, I
> suggest a halt to Remeum adventures until we can
> figure this out.
>
> As others have said, we don't want to attract too
> much attention at one time. Also, I agree that
> this a low priority for the police, but we need to
> tread lightly since the church (at least) has been
> alerted to our presence in the woods.

Damn.

Posted by: Spacy is one dumb mother fucker ()
Date: March 15, 2010 01:55PM

moderator? moderator? You idiot.

Posted by: PD 640 ()
Date: March 16, 2010 01:18AM

The reason that we (the Police) are using this online forum to tell you all that we are watching you, is because there is no advantage for us not to tell you. Those of you who are smart, will take the warning and stay away... we call that "voluntary compliance" and it means less work for us. (insert lazy cop joke here)

For those of you who ignore the warnings and show up anyway, just know that we WILL be looking for your flashlights in the dark; we WILL be looking for MORE of your illegally parked cars on Old Colchester Rd; we WILL call up our helicopter with the "Forward Looking Infra Radar (FLIR) to chase you through the woods at night; We WILL be trying to catch you; we WILL put you in handcuffs and take you to the Adult Detention Center (ADC) and finally, when the case goes to trial we WILL tell the Judge how we first warned all of you that we were going to do it... which means that by giving you all fair warning, we are building a better case for ourselves in court. so the real question is why wouldn't we tell you?

Please do not kid yourself into believing that our Judges will not take this serious... read the laws, there are numerous laws that specifically address what you are talking about doing ...("Trespassing" (generally)... "trespassing in cemeteries"... "trespassing on church property"..."trespass, injuries to cemeteries" (I assure you that the court will see any digging at a burial site as an "injury") That's just a start.)

Before you go trashing us too much, think about it, for us this is not about ruining your fun it is about protecting the property owner. For some of you this is harmless fun, but history tells us that this is a slippery slope. We know that once word gets out that you got away with this, others will follow you. Be honest, we all know that some people who are attracted to cemeteries have a dangerous idea of "fun" and someone eventually takes "fun" too far (ie. more serious problems for the church). Once things get out of hand it will be even harder for us to stop people... and once the Judge starts asking why we are singling out some defendants since we didn't prosecute others, then it will be even harder for us to win in court. By addressing this small problem now (at a minimal financial cost), we are saving ourself a lot of work (and money...don't forget those budget shortages) later. (insert lazy cop joke here)

Lastly, for those of you who don't believe that I'm a real cop... I DON'T CARE. I posted this to help warn those normally law abiding citizens who are thinking about doing something that they are going to regret later (and no, I will not have pity on you then). For those of you who still want to question it, you have two choices: 1) Play it safe and don't test me. or 2) When you get arrested in Lorton you will recognize me because I will be the Officer who is laughing.

Date: March 16, 2010 07:37AM

Wow.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that was very moving. And all those big legal terms you threw in there, very impressive. You even took the time to come up with a badge number for yourself.

Remember, shoulder injuries are much more serious than people think. So stretch thoroughly. Just something to think about when your patting yourself on the back.

If I can give you some advice (as it seems like you take your make-believe Police Officer job VERY SERIOUSLY), it's not smart to admit the flaws and weaknesses of the legal system to the general public much less those that you're trying to intimidate. Also, real police officers usually don't invite citizens to question whether or not they're actually police officers, as they take alot of pride in their jobs (hence the whole "badge and uniform" thing). Just some things to keep in mind when you're making desperate grasps at credibility.

Date: March 16, 2010 09:26AM

The Sculler, mock now, be arrested later. We are watching you son.

Date: March 16, 2010 10:15AM

I don't think I'm alone when I say that I've always had a little fantasy about being cuffed by a smokin' hot female police officer. Ya know, maybe she could shove me into the side of the squad car before she pats me down, kinda rough-like. Can we arrange that?

Posted by: KopCiller ()
Date: March 16, 2010 07:19PM

"trespassing in cemeteries"... "trespassing on church property"..."trespass, injuries to cemeteries"

Officer, please tell us why the police department didn't do their job back in 1956 when was an actual mausoleum, cemetery, and church property to protect. Now that it's an empty, overgrown field it's being protected?

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: March 16, 2010 11:09PM

KopCiller Wrote:
> "trespassing in cemeteries"... "trespassing on
> church property"..."trespass, injuries to
> cemeteries"
>
> Officer, please tell us why the police department
> didn't do their job back in 1956 when was an
> actual mausoleum, cemetery, and church property to
> protect. Now that it's an empty, overgrown field
> it's being protected?

It's a conspiracy I tell ya.

Posted by: Citizen ()
Date: March 17, 2010 11:44AM

Very good point, and if the so called "cop" on this site is for real, why aren't you out solving a crime or protecting the public rather than wasting tax payers money surfing the net?

By the way, Pohick Church is one of the most historic churches in America. It's even listed on the register of national historic landmarks. If the church members themselves didn't want it listed they could ask to have it removed from the list. Visitors come from miles away to visit the site and to see where the father of our country worshiped. Are the police really going to harass/ticket every visitor who parks in their lot? Do they really want that sort of negative publicity? Are they also going to harass the poor souls that come to visit the graves of their lost loved ones that lie buried in the graveyard?

I certainly don't condone any sort of vandalism or destruction and I would personally call the police on anyone that I witnessed doing so, but using this forum to threaten those who haven't yet broken any laws is an abuse of power, not to mention just being a douche!

Date: March 17, 2010 02:04PM

In the beginning, Treasure Oak Court was an option that I considered for a point of entry, as there doesn't appear to be a fence keeping you out of the woods. As far as we know, there's only one NO TRESPASSING sign at the edge of the woods where the church is. So, if one was feeling lucky and was careful as to how they parked in that neighborhood, they could possibly still get in and get away with playing stupid should they get confronted. And someone from the church isn't likely to see you from their window through all those trees.

Just trying to find the silver-lining, for exploration's sake.

Date: March 17, 2010 05:47PM

yo thanks sculler, for being one to BELIEVE me when I said there was a tresspassing sign, church side. I would hope I've contributed enough to the thread to not be dismissed as a troll (post by G, March 12 ... seriously dude, fuck you).

I heard from someone who was a former construction contractor, and he said something about tresspassing signs needing to be at least 50 ft apart on the perimeter of the property (not sure on the figure, of if that is an old law, so I understand if this is hearsay). Before going into the woods, I considered entering through Treasure Oak ct. From what I could see driving by, there is no fence nor a "no tresspassing" sign on that side of the woods. I decided to park elsewhere, and walked to the Remeum via the rector's house road/"path off to the right". I definitely recommend caution before going back into the woods, but going the Treasure Oak way and playing stupid if caught seems like a possibility.

Note: I visited Treasure Oak ct. on 3/6/10, so there may have been a sign posted since then.

Posted by: G ()
Date: March 17, 2010 05:48PM

Visitation rights for family members of the departed are quite a different thing than random hooligan trespassing.

As someone mentioned before, CALL THE CHURCH PROPERTY MGR AND ASK if it's ok to visit back there, instead of sneaking around and risking getting a stupid citation. What's so hard about that? If you're not doing anything illicit, and possibly even want to visit out of genuine historical interest, then making a quick phone call or checking in with the church office should be no problem. The fact that people are sneaking around back there in the dark or with shovels is what made this an issue in the first place, and arguing with some imaginary cop isn't going to fix that.

Date: March 17, 2010 08:25PM

Playing stupid will get you arrested son. STAY OFF THE PROPERTY.

Date: March 17, 2010 09:37PM

to FFXPD: Please take your sidearm and shoot yourself. If you don't have one because you're a phony bitch, then I suggest you find the nearest cliff and see how quickly you can reach the bottom. I'm sorry your parents didn't love you and you can no longer find any scum-sucking piece of shit to like you. It's not our fault you sit at home all day on the computer.

Let me guess the breakdown of your computer time: masturbating, while using your own tears as lubricant = 80%, being an overall bitch = 5%, Talking to your valium addicted bitch of a mother = 15%.

If you're a cop and dislike the "unloading of the sidearm to my temple" idea, then take your baton and shove it up your ass. You make Darwin squirm in his grave by being alive. For his sake, and the sake of humanity, please kill yourself...at this point, its the only option.

Oh and let me guess your response: "Diamond D-REK, you're getting arrested son!"

On a "serious" note, THANK YOU FFXPD, we have heeded your warnings. If we choose to go on to the property (whether legal or not), so be it. There is no need for you to post anything else.

Posted by: walker ()
Date: March 17, 2010 11:10PM

Awesome thread....great pics! Me and some of my friends got busted out there in '81 (or maybe it was '82). We got tickets for trespassing and had to go to court.

Date: March 18, 2010 07:11AM

Oh, Officer, thank God your back! I forgot to tell you earlier, I LOVE red-heads! Can the female cop that cuffs me be a red-head? That would be AWESOME. Maybe she could call me "dirt bag" or "scum" when she shoves me in the back-seat of the squadcar. (Sorry to be so high maintenance, I'm just really looking forward to this!)

Date: March 18, 2010 07:45AM

"Hooligans", as opposed to those who appreciate history, are two very different groups of people.

Posted by: ohkevy ()
Date: March 18, 2010 05:55PM

Very interesting forum here. I looked up information several years ago on the crypts and found nothing so let it go. Finding this rehashes my memories of being their and desires to go back.

I went down in their many times as a pre teen and teenager. If anyone has unanswered questions feel free to ask, I just might be able to help.

BTW, I have been shot at on more than one occasion their back in the day by someone from the house nearby and chased by dogs. Doesn't sound like that goes on anymore from reading this post but visitors were definitely never welcome.

Posted by: super curious ()
Date: March 18, 2010 08:01PM

What is you were to contact a college with an anthropology/archaeology department to see if they would be interested in doing a dig? That way, it would be "educational" and done correctly (i.e. no cave ins).

Date: March 21, 2010 10:49PM

Somebody just go there at night. Be quiet and stealthy and show some sophistication. It would be cool to wear a hockey mask too, so no one would mess with you if it turned out you weren't alone.

If you bring a Sony 'nightshot' camera, you can also see other sources of infra red light used by potential cameras/surveillance equipment (which I doubt is there). That way, you could identify it, disable it or give it the finger.

I don't recall Stumpy ever firing at us but I do remember him setting dogs after us several times. I doubt if that would be the case nowadays, given the huge proliferation in lawyers flying lazy circles over populated areas, waiting for lawsuits from such happenings.

Posted by: Youngster ()
Date: March 21, 2010 10:50PM

I was just talking to my mother about this and she grew up in the area, went to Lake Braddock, and she said that they partied in the early 80s (1984?) there and called them "The Crypts." She said it was all underground by the time she was there, but they eventually stopped hanging out there because bikers were scaring them out of the area.

Posted by: ohh ()
Date: March 22, 2010 09:36AM

What is you were to contact a college with an anthropology/archaeology department to see if they would be interested in doing a dig? That way, it would be "educational" and done correctly (i.e. no cave ins).

that is a very good idea

Date: March 22, 2010 11:33AM

I've been chewing on this idea since it was suggested, but I'm not sure they would think it was worth their time. Now, if a decent amount of those statues/carvings/coffins were still down there (for sure), I can see how they'd be interested in getting their hands dirty. From what we've learned, those items were crafted by some local artists of note and were pretty intricate in detail, but I beleive that most of it was removed prior to the final demolition.

If someone had reasonable evidence to show that some of that stuff was still down there, I agree that you'd stand a chance of getting them involved.

Date: March 22, 2010 01:53PM

A friendly reminder that the Fairfax County police dept. continues to monitor this property and is working closely with the church in prosecuting trespassers, vandals and underage drinking.

Date: March 22, 2010 02:14PM

Speaking of "friendly", how are the arrangements coming with my arrest by a Red-Headed, frisky, female police officer? You're still gonna come through for me, right?! Don't let me down, man! I'm countin' on ya!

Posted by: Ima Lawyer ()
Date: March 22, 2010 02:33PM

I hear ya Barney Fife. Now nip it! Nip it in the bud! By the way, impersonating a police officer is a Federal offense.

Posted by: izbad ()
Date: March 23, 2010 11:28AM

fascinating thread here. Too bad the morons who are digging don't realize they could be digging through asbestos or some other nasty shit. Do you think that "clean" fill dirt was used to fill that place in so that years later it could be safely dug up? I am interested to know what is left down there but you won't catch me digging in that shit hole!

Posted by: inquirer ()
Date: March 24, 2010 05:16AM

Where was the huge crypt Remey had set aside for himself, shown in a couple of the photographs -- where in the plan is this room shown?

Date: March 26, 2010 10:14PM

I was just there about 2 hours ago. There are wooden posts with caution tape around the hole, and a few "no tresspassing" signs in the vicinity of the hole. I found a "no tresspassing" sign, signed by Pohick church, mutilated, on the ground. I've got it now.

I didn't want to take flash pictures in case I disturbed the rector house, but I intend to take daylight photos when possible.

The crypts have been compromised.

Date: March 28, 2010 10:57PM

I'm trying to understand something, as I look at the aerial photographs taken while the place was under construction. Please let me know where I'm off the track. As I understand it, the place was built above ground (or was there an excavation, and things were built below ground level?) and brick walls were built. Part of the entrance was intended to remain above ground, but there were steps leading down into the ground (?) and most of the finished place was supposed to be underground. As the work was being done, the work was in the open air, but eventually a ceiling was built and the whole thing was covered with dirt. Is this correct? Anyway, then the church decided to stop the project, and after Remey got what he wanted out of the place, the church destroyed it with bulldozers. Did the bulldozers get down into the level of construction? Did they knock over the brick walls that were at the underground level? Or did they just fill in the rooms that were below ground level? One of the problems I'm having visualizing all of this is that I don't have a sense of what this place looked like from the side -- how much was above ground, how much below ground; how much was destroyed, how much was filled in with dirt and covered up. For example the "obelisk" shows up as being at one end of the designed complex, in a round room. I gather that meant that when the complex was completed, the obelisk would have been entirely underground, is that correct? But now the obelisk is above ground, which confuses me, because I thought everything was covered over with dirt, and so I thought that everything that was constructed would have been below ground now. Never having been there I can't figure any of this out. And I'm still not clear on where Remey's vault was, in the design. Any help welcome. Thanks

Date: March 29, 2010 07:03AM

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but the best way to clear up your confusion is to actually go there. The satellite photos helped me understand the length of the Remeum, but not the elevation. Like I said before, it was quite a climb up the side of the "plateau" that it was built on. It's easily 40 feet off the forest floor. Once on the top you'll also get a better idea of how much dirt they piled on top of that. It was probably about 6 to 8 feet judging from the base of the obelisk at the end.

Just trust me, go for yourself. It's really pretty cool to see what it once was.
Of course, see some of the above threads for the least conspicuous way in.

Date: March 29, 2010 09:29AM

Diamond D - Has that whole gotten any bigger with all the rain we have had recently?

By the way I think I ran into you out at the site a few weeks back, we were out there with the dog running around.

Date: March 29, 2010 11:18AM

Unfortunately, going there is not an option for me.

I'm further confused by your comment that it was 40 feet off the forest floor, which implies that it's elevated -- but I thought it was underground, below the level of the forest floor. Please be patient with me, I'm just trying to understand. Thanks

Date: March 29, 2010 12:12PM

Don't worry about it man, that's cool. You're dead-on. The whole thing is elevated 40 feet off the forest floor, and a couple of hundred feet from the end with the obelisk to the other end with the vents. That's why it was such a surprise for me, personally, when I got there and found that I had to hike up the side in order to get to it. And, yes, although the whole complex was on a plateau above the forest floor, I think the underground chambers were still about 5 or 10 feet down once you went through the main entrance to the chambers (this, however, is now about 18 below what was dumped ON TOP of the complex).

That's too bad that you're not able to make it out there. My next suggestion would be to simply soak up and enjoy all the photos and scans that have been contributed.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: March 29, 2010 12:22PM

FFXPD Wrote:
> We have access to many things, including your IP
> address. Tread lightly, stay legal.

What a faggot
Attachments:
inet_tough_guy.jpg

Date: March 29, 2010 12:22PM

Thanks. And according to what I've read, the obelisk and the vents are now the only things above ground.

And can you identify the location where Remey had his own vault?

I am looking at all the maps and photos, thanks again

Date: March 29, 2010 12:34PM

Actually, I should be careful when I throw around the phrase "underground". As best as I can tell, using the photos throughout this thread as a time-line, the entrance to the Crypts was not always "underground" in the sense that you had to climb down into it.

If we're talking about circa 1950, you could walk into the Crypts like you were walking into the front door of your house, as the entrance door was level with the top of the plataeu (see Hip's photo from Feb. 22 @ 6:41pm, the doorway was between the two lions).

If we're talking about circa late 1970s, then the entrance was basically buried by the first demolition attempt and you had to crawl down inside (see the photo that Cary posted on Dec. 23 @7:01pm. This photo shows the kids crawling down inside, above what used to be the same doorway with the ironwork that you simply walked through in the 50s).

Hopefully that clears up some confusion. Sorry I don't have the computer skills to put the photos side-by-side for you.

Date: March 29, 2010 12:37PM

That's helpful

Date: March 29, 2010 12:41PM

Honestly, I don't know where Remey wanted his body to be put (seeing as he never go the opportunity). I'd imagine close to his wife, but seeing as I was never down there I don't know where she was eithor. I'm sure someone who was down there back in the day would remember where she was. Maybe the "Remey Chapel", if I had to venture a guess.

Date: March 29, 2010 12:53PM

OK. Because two photos show a large ornate stone vault, one with a beer can in it, the other with two guys in front of it (and the beer can) and one posting said that was where Remey was to be buried. But I don't see any identification of that location. Also, in his huge 3 pages of plans (and I gather only one page of that ever got built) I don't see the location where his own grave would be.

If I read the news accounts correctly, he had the remains of family members brought to the Remeum, but then when the dispute came about with the church, he had to remove everything, and I gather all of those people were re-interred elsewhere, including his wife. I think Remey himself died in Italy and I gather is buried there. But I'm interested in where he planned for his own vault. What I'm after is this: Did he really plan this as an extravaganza for his own grave, and everybody else was decoration? Or was this really to honor his entire family, and his own spot in the scheme was just as one family member, without having a particular place of honor. My guess is that he planned the place of honor for himself, but I don't see that in the design.

Date: March 29, 2010 01:39PM

Yeah, I wish I could place alot of those old-school pictures as to exactly where in the chambers they were, but I'm too young and don't have enough details of the interior.

Some of the answers you might be looking for might be in the "Tales from the Crypt" article on page 1 of this thread. Matt seems to have done a pretty good amount of research as well as having first hand observations, since it was written back in the day. Matt covers how Remey paid tribute to his family throughout history, as well as U.S. history. Also, the plans from his book that were later posted suggest that he'd wanted to include tributes to his Baha'i faith, had the Remeum been completed according to his masterplan.

Date: March 29, 2010 06:27PM

Someone mentioned www.norvapics.com at the beginning of page 1 of this thread. Punch in "Remey" in the search box and there are links to 16 images. Has anyone looked at them all?

Posted by: Sheriff Beauford T. Justice ()
Date: March 29, 2010 08:53PM

Son, the Fahfax po-lice done told you to stay the hell out of that there private property. If I happens to see your slack ass in theah, I will cuff you maself.

Date: March 30, 2010 07:07AM

inquirer Wrote:
> Someone mentioned www.norvapics.com at the
> beginning of page 1 of this thread. Punch in
> "Remey" in the search box and there are links to
> 16 images. Has anyone looked at them all?

Don't bother with norvapics.com. I think we actually have most of their good pictures on here anyway(thanks to skills of some of the contributors on this thread). If you wanna see anything else on their site you have to pay for it, whereas here you can get for free. If you've got money to burn, check it out and let us know what they've got...but I don't think it's any better than what on this thread.

Date: March 30, 2010 07:29AM

Charles Remey was to be buried in the large stone sarcophagus with the beer can on it. The date carved onto the sarcophagus matched his birth year (1874). The year of death was not complete, suggesting that he was never placed in the sarcophagus.

Other coffins and sarcophagi were emptied after burial once the fate of the Crypts was in doubt.
Attachments:
crypt964.jpg

Posted by: Anonymous Fan of Thread ()
Date: April 05, 2010 09:43PM

Awesome stuff...keep the thread going. Diamond DRex? What does compromised mean? Post pics if you can.

Date: April 05, 2010 10:25PM

Thanks, this is helpful. Now if I can just get an understanding of where in the design that large crypt of his was placed.
There is a 3 page drawing of the overall plan, and I think only the first page of it was ever built. It says at the top,

General Plan
The Remeum

Then at the bottom of the page it says

Entrance

and in between inside the building, it says

Cruciform Enclosure.

Was Remey's big crypt which you've shown here, in that section of the building?

Thanks

Date: April 06, 2010 07:55AM

Based on the pictures from page 1 that Cary posted on December 23, 2009 at 7:01pm, it's looks to me like Remey's sarcophagus was on the left once you entered the chamber. I don't think it was that far from the entrance eithor because there's that fancy iron work propped up against the column next to it, which is the same iron work that was once on the main entrance to the chamber.

These are just my observations/guesses. I could be wrong.

Can anyone who was actually there back in the day help us out?

Date: April 06, 2010 10:13AM

On that drawing, there's the entrance, and above it is an empty white square; and above the empty white square is a square with a circle in it between the words "cruciform" and "enclosure". Are you saying that Remey's vault was in that room, near the empty white square?
Then over to the far left is a separate room kind of hexagonal in shape that says "Something Memorial." I can't make out the first word. Is that where the statue of Admiral and Mrs. Remey was?
Thanks

Date: April 06, 2010 11:22AM

Let me help you out, because your bearings are a little off.

The area that you're referring to is OUTSIDE/OUTDOORS. The area with the word you can't read with MEMORIAL below it-that's the obelisk, which is on the other end of the complex from the Crypts.

Check out all the hard work that DiamondD-REK did on March 5th. That should clear up any confusion you might be having when reading the plans.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that Remey's personal sarcophagus was in the "Tombs" or the "Remey Chapel". But I was never there first-hand, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

Date: April 06, 2010 11:25AM

I ran into a buddy of mine the other night and he had his older brother with him who grew up around here in the late 70's. I mentioned the crypts to him and he said he had been in them many times. He described the place just like the pictures I have seen in this thread. He also told me that there were definitely different levels and that he remembered going down to a second and third level a few times but that most of the time everyone hung out and drank in the room we see in all the pictures. I asked him if he had any pic's from back then and he said he would look around and see if he could find any.

Date: April 06, 2010 01:22PM

Thanks, that is helpful, looking back at March 5th. So was Remey's vault in the Inner Atrium, or in the Entrance Chamber? And exactly where in that room, using Remey North, Remey South, etc?
Gratefully

Date: April 07, 2010 01:21AM

alright guys, sorry i haven't been on here in a while.

1: I'll get the pics with the "no tresspassing" signs & caution tape up by friday
2: BBX: yeah that was me there when you were there as well, 3/6/10. Just me and another dude.
3: no additional digging to the hole between 3/6/10 and 3/29/10 (no tresspassing and caution tape were put up between these days)
4: All indications show CM Remey wanted to be buried there (his potential sarcophagus with unfinished dates, also pics from the obelisk's marble plaques bearing his name and unfinished dates). Obviously, it was (at least partially) demolished by the time of his death.

Here's a map & notes hopefully highlighting the general consensus of this thread. Some things may be considered obvious by veterans of this thread, but again, hopefully this paints the general picture:

1: Again, this is the general consensus, but feel free to copy and adjust if you find any discrepancies.
2: The mound in red is just my estimation. I'm horrible comapring actual distances to maps (ie surveying) so that's just my best guess. Note though that the mound starts Reast of the obelisk and ends abruptly Reast of the underground portion.
3: Obelisk = GCR/MJMR memorial (GCR/MJMR = George Collier Remey/Mary Josephine Mason Remey, Charles Mason Remey's parents; again, see pics of obelisk plaques).
4: 1956JD = 91 entrance; the hole is over the general vicinity of the entrance (a few feet differential max).
5: I have noted the survey markers that say CMR/1937. The mark Rnortheast of the planned underground portion was intentional; i did see a marker in that general vicinity.
Attachments:
confirmed.jpg

Date: April 07, 2010 10:44AM

That's awesome, thanks for putting that all together and posting it. I was sort of hoping that with all of the rain we had the hole would have exposed more of that wall and we would be able to better tell what we were looking at. Sounds like they are really watching the place now, it's too bad that a couple people interested in the history of the place and seeing what it looked like are being threatened with prosecution for tramping around on an overgrown mound of dirt in the woods.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: April 26, 2010 02:23PM

Weather is nicer now...anybody ventured out lately and taken pics?

Date: April 26, 2010 02:48PM

I've only been that one time after the last snow storm. Now that the weather is warmer I was picking an average of one tick a day off my dog, and that was in my front yard, so I can't imagine what kind of infestation there is at the Crypts. I know it sounds completely wussified, but the last time I got bit by one of those little bastards I thought I was gonna have to commit myself during the 5 months of the most maddening itching you can possibly fathom (No, I didn't get lyme disease).
Hopefully the church has once again forgotten it's there, and it might be safe for someone bathed in OFF to poke around and take some photos for the rest of us.

Date: April 26, 2010 11:22PM

Do it!! C'mon!! Get out there!!!

We used to go out there at night, braving Stumpy, dogs, cops and fat chicks! We would hide inside the crypt, in the stale darkness,waiting for the cops to leave, as our pants filled...BAH! You know what I mean! Somebody get over there and get some pix of the place.

I'm bored!

Posted by: The Jerk Store ()
Date: April 27, 2010 02:02PM

I love it. The guy who has spent most of this thread attempting to goad others into trespassing can't go himself because he's afraid of ticks. Ha ha ha... Just great.

Date: April 27, 2010 02:11PM

I actually spent an extensive amount of time there over the winter. If you have any questions for me about the site, fire away.

Posted by: bob saget ()
Date: May 05, 2010 04:12PM

Hey guys, even if you think it's interesting, it's not public property, and there's nothing left to see. There's no point in going any more, it's just a waste of time. I've learned from this experience.

Start living, or start dying.

Posted by: PleasantlyWeird ()
Date: May 06, 2010 02:13AM

Bob Saget, you RUIN EVERYTHING!!! lol

Posted by: FFXCTYPOLICE ()
Date: May 06, 2010 07:29AM

Bob Saget is working for us now.

Date: May 06, 2010 07:44AM

Aawww, you sons o' bitches! You had him arrested by the female officer that was supposed to take me down, didn't you?! Do you have any idea how long I was waiting to live out the fantasy of being cuffed by a smokin' hot female cop? No wonder he's workin' for you now! Back to the cold showers for me. You Bastards!

Posted by: Skavman ()
Date: May 10, 2010 07:19AM

Interesting thread. Late comer, but reading this I can confirm a lot of what has been said. I graduated Lake Braddock in 1979, and I didn't know any of the factual history as presented above, but we heard of this place called the Crypts, so visiting sounded like an adventure. In the 1970s some friends and I went there a couple of times. You crawled down/lowered yourself through some large chunks of bull-dozed rock. Inside the the place was cavernous, with many rooms, statues,etc. When I went, there were groups and kids from other high schools hanging out, Some folks had commandeered certain rooms and were sitting around in passing a bong around and drinking. It was creepy, because we always went at night, parked somewhere near the church and walked through some woods in pitch black to reach the opening. It was never a long stay, as once inside, you were in a sense trapped,if the cops showed. Additionally, you never really knew who you were going to meet walking from room to room. Someone mentioned the Pagans, which would have been a concern running into a group of people who would kick your ass for the hell of it... it was a cool experience and memory. Thanks all for posting the facts and photos.

Posted by: The bradlick 7-11 gang ()
Date: May 10, 2010 10:24AM

That was us in the room. Fun on Fri & Sat night. Harmless though

Posted by: Patrick ()
Date: May 14, 2010 09:55PM

Some friends of mine and I from Gar-Field/Woodbridge used to visit there in the early 80's,around 1982-1983.We never had a problem getting in there,as the hole we would drop down was not that much of a challenge to get out of.When we entered you could move 2 directions,1 straight ahead to a rubble pile that allowed you to enter the cathedrial ceiling area or 2 to your right that would pass by the gates and end up at the rubble pile also.Dirt mounds made this difficult to pass but we were @ 17 yrs old and itdidnot matter.We found that somone hung a shepard(dog)in the passageway,kinda sick huh?
We put many candles out for light,drank beer and had good fun,met some ppl there once and soon they left.We never knew this history ,and thx for the info.
Peace to David,Fernando,Robbie,Fred,and Tom I had fun there shame it's gone :(

Date: May 18, 2010 09:40PM

Hey these are pictures from 3/26/10 .... another post following..
Attachments:
018_18.JPG
020_20.JPG
021_21.JPG
023_23.JPG
024_24.JPG
025_25.JPG

Date: May 18, 2010 10:06PM

explanation of pictures:

The numbers in the pic show my approximate location of photos one through six, with the aim of the shot represented by the arrows.
1: looking at the spire/obelisk (note to the left of the foremost treetrunk, you can see a CMR/1937 marker).
2: Looking at the hole. In the picture, the gold and black oval is the hole. Pics 2 & 3 are aimed toward the hole.
3: Close up of hole.
4: From the middle-ish area of the cruciform enclosure... not sure where, but ballpark that area.
5: From that general area
6: Same "No Tresspassing" sign from #5, I just moved back 30-40 steps

DiamondD-REK
Attachments:
remeumafterPIX.jpg

Posted by: kings park 1979 ()
Date: May 26, 2010 06:44PM

RotnRik Wrote:
> "FFXPD 0": the 'NO TRESPASSING' signs didn't stop
> us in the '70s, good luck with your surveillance!
> DON'T SHOOT ANYBODY! The Crypts (THREAT OF PAGANS
> & MUCH LESS, THE COPS) was one true THRILL of my
> childhood. The last entrance I found was about 1/2
> way down the south wall at the top edge of the
> site, that was in the early '80s. ONE LEVEL was
> all we ever found. WE WERE JUST KIDS HAVIN' FUN,
> MAN THAT JOINT WAS COOL!!!!!...RotnRik...BURKE
> BROS...
FUNNY ROTNRIK,or should we say "stanley"
you were never a burke bro

Posted by: kingspark ()
Date: May 26, 2010 06:53PM

RotnRik Wrote:
> "FFXPD 0": the 'NO TRESPASSING' signs didn't stop
> us in the '70s, good luck with your surveillance!
> DON'T SHOOT ANYBODY! The Crypts (THREAT OF PAGANS
> & MUCH LESS, THE COPS) was one true THRILL of my
> childhood. The last entrance I found was about 1/2
> way down the south wall at the top edge of the
> site, that was in the early '80s. ONE LEVEL was
> all we ever found. WE WERE JUST KIDS HAVIN' FUN,
> MAN THAT JOINT WAS COOL!!!!!...RotnRik...BURKE
> BROS...
funny.... mr rick stanley from danbury forest
YOU were never one of the
Burke Bros lol

Posted by: Making_stuff ()
Date: May 26, 2010 07:35PM

This is really cool, guys. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Posted by: TombRaider ()
Date: May 27, 2010 09:11AM

I must say im very impressed with all the work everyone has done on this.

here is my insight on the crypts.
personaly i have been there many times before most of you were born. i have sat infront of the cinder block wall after it was erected and watched as someone broke a hole threw it about the size of a basket ball. on the other side is dirt, why? because there are actually two walls of cinder block on either side of the vent. the vent was used to fill in the space with dirt. your calculations of the vents are only off by a few feet.
as for the area from the rotunda to the baha'i sanctuary,
its all there!
on either side of the baha'i sanctuary there are spiral stair cases leeding to lower levels.
the whole structure was made of brick, so why the cinderblock wall?
it was put there after two girls got lost down in the lower levels and didnt make it out alive.
how can this be verified?
in gmu hokie's feb 19 2010 post it was said that 15 were disintered from the crypt
but his wife was left, thats 16 and he ( mr remy) would have had a place for himself too, thats 17 that we know of.
you guys are smart i can tell, so if the cinderblock wall is the end, where did they keep all those bodys?
now that being said, look at the plans, if its all there i still only count 8 tombs. plus, when building something like this you plan for the future and future burials, correct?
so if there were 17 ,at least, then we know the full first level past the wall exists. if so, so do the spiral stair cases leeding to lowerlevels where 7 more bodys were placed.
i do wish you luck,
even my 17year old after reading all this said, " i wanna go"
even if the entrance chamber still exists ,intact, or hasnt been backfilled with dirt. you still have to get threw the cinderblock walls past the first tombs.

if you do get down there,
and i actualy hope you do
and you make it past the wall,
do yourselfs a favor and take a few small parakeets in cages, the air might be really bad so you know when to get out.
another hint, if your going to dig a hole take a few plywood boards and some hard as nails glue out there and camo the holes so they cant be found by covering the boards with glue and then dirt and leaves and branches.
oh and leave a note for someone just incase you dont return and it ends up being your resting place.
hope i was of some what help
good luck keep posting id love to see if you make it

Date: May 27, 2010 10:10AM

Let make sure I understand what you're saying. When they were demolishing The Crypts, they took the time to dump dirt down a couple of 9"x9" flu-tiles to fill in chambers below that were at least 15 feet deep and 12 feet across?! Not to mention that I had to climb up the side of the vent and wedge my upper body inside just to get a peep down the flus, so how would you get all that dirt down there? Do you have any idea how long that would take and how big of a pain in the ass it would be? They sure as hell didn't take the tops of the vents off, that's apparent from the recent trips we've made out there.

And as for your claim about the 2 girls that got lost down there, there was nothing mentioned in Hokie's post about them. You need to provide evidence of both the lower levels, and the missing girls (I think we would have heard about the girls LONG ago). If kids had gone missing down there, this county wouldn't have just sealed the place up and knocked down a few walls, there would be a huge patch of asphalt, level with the forest floor where The Crypts had once been (this is Fairfax County for Christ's sake, their children are the salt of the Earth as far as they're concerned. They would then also make it a felony to even talk about The Crypts from that day forth).

Pages: Previous1234567891011AllNext
Current Page: 4 of 11

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.