HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567891011AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: Remey Tomb/Crypt
Posted by: The Sculler ()
Date: January 28, 2010 01:01PM

Here's someone's recent Facebook blog about the Crypts. Some people also remember the lions at the entrance, and there's some interesting accounts about a room for someone's daughter that died at a young age. Someone on Facebook even links the blog to THIS THREAD!

http://eu-es.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=10187715121&topic=11155

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jimbo ()
Date: January 28, 2010 10:46PM

I think finding a way into the crypts is more difficult that we thought. Look at these images I just copied from GOOGLE EARTH...

1. taken in 2002: It is labeled according to my memory and the proximity to the church, the caretaker (stumpy the guard, who would let his dogs loose at the sound of noisy teenagers)and the walking path. You can see the bare area of the bulldozed crypts. Not much left.

2. taken THIS MONTH in 2010: Homes built on top of hallowed ground!! These people don't know that they are at risk of being haunted forever by the ghosts of weekends past, stale beer and spend condoms! It's like Poltergeist all over again.

I still hope someone nearby can confirm or deny this as I would like to go back one day and explore. Maybe my memory and landmarks are wrong but I don't think so.
Attachments:
crypt2002.jpg
crypt2010.jpg

Date: January 28, 2010 10:48PM

Wow! That second satellite photo was actually taken today!

Posted by: G ()
Date: January 29, 2010 01:32AM

those images are labelled incorrectly... the crypts were closer to the center of the pics, the remaining tower is located about where the question mark is

Date: January 29, 2010 07:30AM

G Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> those images are labelled incorrectly... the
> crypts were closer to the center of the pics, the
> remaining tower is located about where the
> question mark is

Jimbo,

G is correct. I've never been to the Crypts myself, but those new townhouses ARE NOT built on top of them. First, the image that you found from 2002 only shows where they cleared land for the construction of the townhomes, not where they bulldozed the Crypts. Since they bulldozed the Crypts for the last time in '82, vegetation that had been cleared 20 years ago would have had time to grow back and would not look like that from the air. Secondly, take a look at Historicaeials.com (hopefully the link below works) and you'll see that G is correct in that the Crypts were much closer to Stumpy's house than you recall.

I can see how you'd think that the townhomes were built on top of the Crypts, but they weren't. If all the accounts on this thread state that the Crypts were below all the underground structures, and the aerial photos put them at the location in the link below, the townhomes are not on top of what used to be the Cyrpts. Nice maps, however. Knowing where that path into woods is located will come in handy.

http://www.historicaerials.com?poi=9732

(you're gonna have to click on 1962, as that didn't seem to transfer in the link)

Posted by: Stoney ()
Date: January 29, 2010 05:42PM

The bing.com link provided in the posting dated December 22, 2009 08:22PM provides the best view. Check it out. You can clearly see the brick cross and get an overall view of the site. I used the rotate botton to put Route 1 at the bottom of the screen. That way it was like actually walking down the path towards the crypt because the house off to the left.

Date: January 29, 2010 09:40PM

That's a relief!

Posted by: joedirt ()
Date: January 29, 2010 10:24PM

I when I talked to my father’s friend about it a few weeks back when this thread started he just told me that they completely caved in the tomb. I was not aware it was 5 levels in depth. Rests assure I will call him up by the end of the week and get more info on it. I do know when they filled in the tomb they had to perform an environmental impact study and pull permits for it. Anything underground you fill in even such as a pool you have to do so. They basically don’t want air pockets and water pockets to form that would create a possible sink hole in the future. Unfortunately FFX only keeps permits on record for 5 years depending what kind they are and I doubt they still have them. That is why they buried the front entrance in dirt at first because a demo and fill in is a very expensive thing. He never mentioned to me it was 5 stories underground which seems a bit deep and I am a bit skeptical of. I’ll have more info by the end of the week. I hate to be the buzz kill on this one and wish the tomb was still there but from what I understand It sounded to me it was completely destroyed.

Posted by: bob saget ()
Date: January 31, 2010 03:38PM

Start living, or start dying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2010 07:01PM by bob saget.

Posted by: paranormal activitayz ()
Date: February 01, 2010 08:58AM

man.. i couldnt imagine what id do if I just bought a house and realized it was on burial grounds

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: February 01, 2010 09:03AM

Probably inquire as to whether or not the remains had been relocated. If so I'd just go ahead and live in the house considering spirits don't (typically) hang around where their body was burried.

Posted by: Boo ()
Date: February 01, 2010 09:06AM

News flash!
Just about every inch of land here in this country has been sacred Native American burrial grounds at one time or another.

Posted by: Zoomer ()
Date: February 01, 2010 05:54PM

Hey Guys - I've been following the thread for awhile now, but not commented. I went to Edison High in the 70's and used to go to the Crypt quite a bit. I got there by going down the road past Stumpy's house (always on alert for dogs and the threat of a shotgun full of rock salt) and by parking in the cemetary and going through the woods.

Anyway, I remember the entrance much closer to the "S" in Stumpy's....

-Z

Date: February 02, 2010 07:15AM

joedirt Wrote:
> I when I talked to my father’s friend about it a
> few weeks back when this thread started he just
> told me that they completely caved in the tomb. I
> was not aware it was 5 levels in depth. Rests
> assure I will call him up by the end of the week
> and get more info on it. I do know when they
> filled in the tomb they had to perform an
> environmental impact study and pull permits for
> it. Anything underground you fill in even such as
> a pool you have to do so. They basically don’t
> want air pockets and water pockets to form that
> would create a possible sink hole in the future.
> Unfortunately FFX only keeps permits on record for
> 5 years depending what kind they are and I doubt
> they still have them. That is why they buried the
> front entrance in dirt at first because a demo and
> fill in is a very expensive thing. He never
> mentioned to me it was 5 stories underground which
> seems a bit deep and I am a bit skeptical of. I’ll
> have more info by the end of the week. I hate to
> be the buzz kill on this one and wish the tomb was
> still there but from what I understand It sounded
> to me it was completely destroyed.

joe,

They would great if you can see what you can find out from that guy. A few different sources on this thread have made it sound like there was more than one level to the Crypts, but it's unclear just how many there were. The newspaper article that was posted claims there were 5, but hopefully you're source can confirm that and we can have some credible information. Let us know what he says.

Date: February 04, 2010 05:58PM

I ran into a former member of the Pagans Motorcycle gang that told me that there were other levels and the access was under the large sarcophagus on the left when you entered. He said you could push the whole thing to the side and a square hole was there you could climb down. He said it was pretty torn up down there because they used to throw sticks of dynomite down the hole for the fun of it...

I have been there many times, but only on the first level...

Date: February 05, 2010 09:42AM

Pagans...stay classy.

Date: February 05, 2010 10:11AM

Alright, got hold of my dads friend the info I got from him was.... They had bluprints of the structure for demo and it was only one level. He laughted at me when I asked him if there were 4 sub levels and told me it was a urband legend people started to enhance the creepyness and mystery of the crypt. When I showed him the pictures of the stacks he did not have a awnser for me as why they were still there or could not remember whey they were left up . He said "strap a video camera to a rope and send it on down and see if any of the crypt is still intact but make sure it is waterproof because if there is and voids that were not filled in they will more than likely submerged in water." He was pissed that people vandalized the crypt and they had to destroy it. They could have declared it a historic landmark and preserved the entire grounds. Anyways, Thats the info I recived....

Date: February 05, 2010 10:14AM

p.s nothing was ever built on top of the original crypts, they left the bricks and concrete in the gound and would cost a builder a enourmous amount of money to make buildable. The crypt is there just in 2 million pices 12 ft under

Posted by: Macky ()
Date: February 09, 2010 10:39PM

This is friggin interesting! This would have been a great place to hang out when I was in high school...I went to O'Connell over in Arlington, but had a lot or friends from Annandale (I grew up near Pinecrest). None of my friends had ever heard of it, perhaps it wasn't the place that it was back in the 70's. High school kids in the 70's knew how to friggin party, unlike us 90's kids!

Posted by: rootard ()
Date: February 09, 2010 10:42PM

screw Historicaerials
shitty site

Date: February 12, 2010 07:27AM

joe, thanks for the update from your friend. However, I now have absolutely no idea who to believe as to how many levels there were. Your friend says there was one, but the article from the paper says 4 or 5, plus a couple of other accounts on this thread that claim there was more than one level (including the guy claiming the fuck-tard Pagans used to throw dynamite into the lower levels).

Your friend does have a good idea regarding the video camera. It would make a great post. Any takers? It's a sure-fire way to get to the bottom of alot of these unanswered questions. (I would, but I don't have a camera.)

Posted by: Joedirt ()
Date: February 12, 2010 08:08AM

Call up the guy who wrote the article in the 1990. If he is still alive. Ask him where he recived his information on how may levels there where. Just a reminder, reporters get a lot of thier information from hear say and not fact. Wonder if the old blue prints are up at the fairfax meuseum. I have been up there a few times and they have a ton of info on the county. They also have a bunch of books about local residents and areas in the county writen by locals.

Posted by: Mike1283 ()
Date: February 12, 2010 08:11AM

I would be more likely to believe someone from an annonymous message board over anything that the connection newspaper printed. That article reads like it was done by two high school students writing for the mount vernon high school paper.

Posted by: Joedirt ()
Date: February 12, 2010 09:03AM

Again, That was the info I received from someone who physically had seen the BP to the tomb. There is no reason for a 67 year old man to lie about what he knows about the tomb. I would have loved for them to declare the tomb a virginia historic landmark before they decided to tear it down. It would have been a very interesting site to see. Unfortunatly I think the Church did not want it there and they probably had a lot of sway with the county for the destruction of it. Back it the 60 it was viewed as satanic/un-christian , thats just my take on it (more than likely incorect). I am going to the fairfax meuseum to see If I can find any info/ blueprints on the place to put it to rest.

Date: February 12, 2010 09:51AM

joe, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was calling your friend a liar. Sorry if it came across like that. It's just confusing with so many sources.

Any chance your friend remembers where he saw those blue prints? I called around to a few places and nobody had them in the county. That's why I figure that book that Remey wrote that the Virginia Room has is probably the best place to look for any sort of plans for the Crypts.

Just for fun, I got the name of a guy at the Springfield Connection who has been there for a while who may know Matt Warren (the writer of the article). He wasn't there at the moment, but I'll try to reach him later today. I'd like to see if I can get Matt Warren on the phone and see where he got his info, as you suggested.

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: February 12, 2010 11:55AM

I just wanted to say I'm finding the conversation fascinating and look forward to more information from people more intrepid than I!

...and I wish I'd seen this back in the day.

Date: February 12, 2010 03:27PM

I finally got a hold of somebody at the Springfield Connection, and they said that since the company that owns the paper has gone through bankrupcy since 1990, they don't have any record of Matt Warner, or a way to get a hold of him.

So, joe, if you can pester your friend on behalf of the rest of us as to where the blueprints he saw might be today, that'd be cool.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: February 12, 2010 08:26PM

The Sculler Wrote:
> I finally got a hold of somebody at the
> Springfield Connection, and they said that since
> the company that owns the paper has gone through
> bankrupcy since 1990, they don't have any record
> of Matt Warner, or a way to get a hold of him.

Google?

http://matthewwarner.com/pubs.htm

Posted by: Alan Rogers ()
Date: February 12, 2010 10:56PM

If that is the same Matt Warner, impressive WEB site. Thank you all for posting the pictures, history, and first hand accounts. A lot of interresting, forgotten history is on this thread.I would also liked to have seen the Remey Crypt before the vandalism. I went there twice during the late 70's. Once at night with a friend who said he heard there was other parts to the Crypt other than what was accessible at that time. Also went there one time during the day. From what I remember (over 30yrs. ago) walking the dirt road just past the rector's house was at least a 10ft.tall overgrown mound of dirt where the Crypt was. Walking around to the oposite side of the mound was where the entrance was and the outside courtyard walls, from what I remember the courtyard appeared to be dug out lower than the surrounding area. Also, if I remember correctly there was a couple of vents for the Crypt, but they were circular metal vent pipes with a metal cover. Could the current pictures of the two square brick structures, instead of vents, be part of the top of the brick courtyard walls? Compare them to the very first picture of the Crypt posted on this thread, notice the cement capstone lying beside one of them in the current pictures.I would like to believe that the Crypt was just buried under more dirt, but also I am not discounting joedirt's post. Keep up the history!

Posted by: Elizabeth ()
Date: February 13, 2010 01:31AM

I didn't read most of what you all posted, but I've been there. I grew up in Annandale and went to Jefferson High School, class of '80. I have 4 older brothers. Some of whom told me about the "Crypts" but I never believed them. They told me that it was multileveled and that there was a "guard" named Stump who has no legs and numerous dobermans. The crypt was several layers deep. I only saw the first layer. But I did see a wall of cinderblock (obviously new). I saw the "baby" casket with 1"x3" wedges lifting the top. I did a lot of research in the library at the time. Remy's were a very regal family. Most of them finished at the top of their class at West Point. I have a piece of something...I'm not sure what. It's green marble and it has a star. I've thought of giving it back to the family...but it means so much to me. It keeps the family alive.

Posted by: Mike1283 ()
Date: February 13, 2010 06:42AM

Holy crap, i was right, he was in high school when he wrote that. I was just kidding. My god, I should be picking lottery numbers!

Posted by: AlBlaster ()
Date: February 13, 2010 05:14PM

Looks like the Springield Connection article is by the same Matthew Warner. I found this on his bibliography page:

Approx. 70 newspaper articles
The Connection Newspapers/Centre View/Manassas Weekly Gazette. (Fairfax County, VA.) June-Aug. 1992.

I just sent him an email (including a link to this thread) asking if he has any additional information he can provide on the Crypts. I would really like to see some pictures of what the outside looked like before it was vandalized in the 70s.

Date: February 15, 2010 07:02AM

Thanks, Dane. I'm not sure why I didn't think of Google in the first place. Great find, though.

AlBlaster, let us know when Matthew replies. Hopefully someone who puts that much effort into his website checks/responds his e-mails in a timely fashion.

Posted by: Matthew Warner ()
Date: February 16, 2010 09:50AM

Hi all,

Yes, indeed, I'm the same Matthew Warner who wrote that old article for the Connection newspaper. I'm sorry I didn't write back earlier; any emails sent through my website form that contain a link are automatically deleted as spam. I just chanced upon this message thread by reviewing my site's stats. (Thanks for the compliments on the design, by the way!)

To answer your questions, I wrote that article while a journalism intern at the Connection during the summer between my freshman and sophomore years at college. I learned of the Remeum from my piano teacher Chris Johnston, who is quoted in the article and whose picture was printed with it. As I recall--and this is 18 years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy--I obtained most of my information from an extensive file in the Virginia Room of the Fairfax Library. I imagine the file is still there.

I eventually become a much better journalist than I was at age 19, so I'm not sure I even visited the grounds when I composed the article. I eventually did visit it years later while trolling for ideas for a horror novel. I didn't find much except for an old smoke stack, I think, plus a weathered stone bench. I still have the inscription that I found engraved in the bench:

"Greetings from the builder of the Remum
To those who sit here rejoicing
to those who sit here sorrowing
as he himself has done in days past."

Let me know if you have any more questions, although I think that's pretty much all I remember.

Best,
Matt

Date: February 16, 2010 12:04PM

Thanks for getting back to us Matt.

The information that you got about the Crypts having more than one underground level, was that from the file in the Virginia Room or from another source?

Any chance that your former piano teacher might know, if you still keep in touch with him?

Posted by: Matthew Warner ()
Date: February 16, 2010 02:33PM

It was probably from a written source, if I was that specific. I think the only people I was actually able to interview were Chris and then a person at Pohick Church who obviously wished I never called.

I haven't spoken to Chris in many years, alas. (I miss 'im!) Maybe one of the others here like CBLB78 who've been there might remember.

Posted by: CBLB78 ()
Date: February 16, 2010 05:55PM

Matthew Warner Wrote:
> It was probably from a written source, if I was
> that specific. I think the only people I was
> actually able to interview were Chris and then a
> person at Pohick Church who obviously wished I
> never called.
>
> I haven't spoken to Chris in many years, alas. (I
> miss 'im!) Maybe one of the others here like
> CBLB78 who've been there might remember.

I didn't know of any other levels back in the day but I would tend to believe they exist(ed) :) from the other posts in this thread.

If the entrances to other levels were covered up I would have never known they existed. The excellent photos of the interior from this thread were the areas I hung out in and I never saw anyone exploring other areas.

Date: February 17, 2010 07:09AM

I doubt that a copy of the actual blueprints for the Crypts would necessarily be in the Virginia Room, but the other books that Remey wrote could be useful as far as getting an idea to how many levels there might have been. I'll probably get to the Virginia Room before I get to the Crypts site (for the obvious reason that this shit will NEVER melt!).

joe, is there any word on where your friend saw those original blueprints and where they might be today?

Posted by: BAC ()
Date: February 19, 2010 09:01AM

The papers of Charles Mason Remey (1874-1974) are located at Princeton University. This url will take you directly to the finding aid:

http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/1r66j1172

The papers do contain some drawings and other information relating to the Remeum. Duplicates of a few items are also available in the files maintained by the Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library (Fairfax, Va.).

Current state law requires building and destruction permits be maintained for 3 years from date of finalization, so the County Dept. of Public Works has no surviving records relating to the building or its destruction.

As for the alleged sub-levels, no such luck. Urban legend. They don't appear on any of the drawings pr surviving photographs. All of the alleged eyewitness testimony are second-hand at best. It is always "I was told..."

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: February 19, 2010 09:47AM

The trustees of Pohick Church had to file a lawsuit to get the Mausoleum "Remeum" demolished.

The case file surely must exist.

Has anyone reviewed it?

Date: February 19, 2010 09:58AM

When you say that the sub-levels "don't appear on any of the drawings", I'm assuming that the files that are in the Virginia Room actually have drawings in them of THE CRYPTS that were located in Lorton?

If so, that's great news! I assumed that the book that Remey wrote only had drawings of other crypts that he'd designed and built, but not of the one that was in Lorton. If that's the case, we don't have to bother worrying about where the original blueprints are.

Date: February 19, 2010 09:58AM

I believe the information here has been posted previously but I am not sure.

The case file should be available through the United States District Court in Alexandria although it is likely housed off site.

In the case file there might be documentation of who contracted to destroy the crypts.

Perhaps the persons or companies that did the work can provide further illumination.

Remey Family Mausoleum (Remeum)

Formerly located @1/2 mile southwest of Pohick Episcopal Church, 9301 Richmond Hwy., Lorton, Va.

In 1937 CHARLES MASON REMEY (1874-1974) contracted with Pohick Episcopal Church for 5.2 acres of land to build a mausoleum for his family. Remey reportedly chose Pohick Church because GEORGE MASON IV, his great grandfather, was a vestryman. Remey was an architect of international reputation and a man of some wealth. Construction of the "Remeum" began in 1939 and was finished in 1948, with more than 2 million bricks, and numerous statues and carvings, most by well known artists, used in the structure. In 1962 the church vestry, motivated by concerns over the size of the ediface and serious problems with vandalism, began to negotiate with Remey to break the 1937 contract. An agreement signed in Federal District Court in 1968 gave Remey until April 1973 to remove anything he wanted from the mausoleum, thereafter ownership reverted to the church. Relatives had @15 burials removed to Pompey, N. Y., and by 1973, the year the building was demolished, only Remey's wife GERTRUDE was still there. Her remains were reinterred at Pohick Church before demolition began.

From Cemeteries of Fairfax County, Virginia by Brian A. Conley

Cemetery Index | Virginia Room

Date: February 19, 2010 11:14AM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
> The trustees of Pohick Church had to file a
> lawsuit to get the Mausoleum "Remeum" demolished.
>
> The case file surely must exist.
>
> Has anyone reviewed it?

Who was the lawsuit against? That would help in the search, because they "negotiated" with Remey (or was the lawsuit considered a negotiation?).
Was it the County?

Date: February 19, 2010 11:59PM

My friend (the guy lying in the sarcophagus photo on the previous page) found out about the crypts from his mother, who was on some committee to try and preserve it from demolition. There were some creepy exterior and interior photos of it on their dining room table. He brought me to his house to check out the photos. When his mother saw us looking at them she took them away, knowing full well that we would want to go there. She refused to give us any information as to its location since we had a dubious reputation.

Being around 1977 or so, we were limited as to search engines, Google, and aerial maps. We drove around the Pohick/Ft. Belvoir area and asked around. We finally found it just as Alan Rogers described. You climbed over a tall heap of dirt and rubble that barely covered the entrance archway. When you came down the other side you were confronted with the statues of Adm. Remey & wife. Straight back was a relatively new cinder block wall, which we assumed was the previous way to get to the supposed additional underground levels (which we never found after 27 visits!). The sides of the entrance hall was lined with several large statues representing 'faith', 'hope, 'jealousy', etc.

The statue of Adm. Remey & wife was exceptionally creepy to first timers because he was headless and had red candle wax dripping down his chest (see previous photos). His wife's statue was more subtle. She had burn marks on her face but some brilliant sick-o SOB put glow-in-the-dark paint on her face! The typical scenario when bringing newbies to the crypts was to turn around and shine the flashlight on the statue faces. That usually got a "Holy shit!". Almost always, as you swept the flashlight away from the wife, they would see the faint glow from her face and you'd get a "What the f**k is that?!!" or "Pants full!!!"

If you look at the included photo, you will see a slight green/yellow tint on her face as well as the medals on his chest (glow-in-the-dark paint). Behind his right thigh you can see one of the several statues lining the entrance hall.Straight past the archway in the back is the cinder block wall, although you cannot see it on this photo.

Stumpy had legs because I remember seeing his silhouette in his doorway at night, as he let his dogs out to find us. The dogs were not dobermans but something less threatening (golden retrievers or mutts).

It was a great place, especially when you had no money and you were bored.
Attachments:
Crypt636.jpg
cryptFrame9.jpg

Date: February 20, 2010 12:14PM

Scull,

You might want to make contact with Brian Conley (see below). Last I heard he was operating out of the general district archives in Springfield, but perhaps someone in the Virginia Room at the City of Fairfax Regional Library (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/branches/vr/) could give you his e-mail address.

Brian Conley is the Assistant County Archivist for
Fairfax County. He was the research archivist in the
Virginia Room of the Fairfax County Public Library
until June 2007. He is well-known in our community
for his compilation of County cemetery records of
early residents. He has been a great help to many
members of our Society who have used the Virginia
Room holdings for their own research.
Brian has compiled three books of great interest

The Sculler Wrote:
> GMU Hokie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The trustees of Pohick Church had to file a
> > lawsuit to get the Mausoleum "Remeum"
> demolished.
> >
> > The case file surely must exist.
> >
> > Has anyone reviewed it?
>
> Who was the lawsuit against? That would help in
> the search, because they "negotiated" with Remey
> (or was the lawsuit considered a negotiation?).
> Was it the County?

Date: February 20, 2010 12:21PM

More on the Virginia room . . .

Virginia Room

homepage > library > branches > virginia room
Home
Account Services
Research Tools
Catalog
Databases
Events
Library Branches
Good Reading
About the Library
Site Index

The Virginia Room.The Virginia Room can be found on the second floor of
The City of Fairfax Regional Library
10360 North Street
Fairfax, VA 22030-2514

Telephone: 703-293-6227 and press 6
TTY: 711 or 703-324-8365

The Fairfax County Public Library's Virginia Room maintains a collection rich in regional history and genealogy, as well as local and state government information and legal resources. A particular strength is Confederate Civil War military history. Other resources available for use are: maps, an extensive photographic archive, manuscripts, local newspapers, and rare books.

To protect the fragile and rare materials in the Virginia Room's collection, food and beverages (including bottled water) are not permitted.

Watch the introduction to the Virginia Room video. (Length: 6 minutes 23 seconds)

Directions | Public Transportation | Library Closing Dates
Library Hours of Operation
Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
1 - 5 10 - 8 10 - 8 10 - 8 10 - 6 10 - 6 10 - 5

Contact the Virginia Room
Friends Group President: Phylis Salak
Available Resources in the Virginia Room

* Online Resources
o Fairfax County Genealogy and Local History Sites
o Fairfax County Public Library Historical Newspaper Index
o Fairfax County Cemetery Survey
o Fairfax County Courthouse Exhibit
o Folklore: The Bunny Man Unmasked
o Timeline
o Historical Photographs of Fairfax County
(online images are hosted by the Library of Virginia;
photographs are in the Virginia Room's collection)
o Historical Washington Post (articles from 1877-1990 through the library's
subscription to ProQuest)
o The William and Mary Quarterly
* Local History
o telephone books
o city directories
o newspapers
o History Index
o CD-ROM and database resources
o Fractured Land and Return to Union
* Genealogy
o Continental European
o German
o Jewish
* Government Documents & Voter Services
o 1930 census of Virginia and Washington, D.C.
o Fairfax County Road Orders: 1749-1800 provided by the Virginia Department of Transportation
o statistics
o planning
o schools (including boundary maps)
o demographics
o budget
* Military History
o colonial wars to the present with CW Rocco Sansone collection
o World War I Draft Registrations for Northern Virginia
Housed at the Alexandria Public Library
* Maps
o originals and reproductions of the Fairfax region and Virginia
* Photograph Archive
* Manuscripts
* Rare Books
* Natural History and Environment
o STAR
o Virginia climatological data
* Virginia History and Biography
* Virginia Legal Resources

Library | Catalog | Databases | Branches | Events | Reading | About

Please e-mail suggestions for library services and
comments about the Web site to the
FCPL Web Site Coordinator

Last Modified: Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Contact Us: General (Office of Public Affairs) | Technical (Web Administrator) | Directed Inquiries (County Agencies)
Phone: County Main Number - 703-FAIRFAX (703-324-7329), TTY 711 | County Phone Listing

Accessibility | Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2010
Web Site Survey**Survey: Provide Feedback About the Web Site, Including This Page**

Posted by: Hip ()
Date: February 20, 2010 05:38PM

Took a trip to the Virginia Room this morning and looked at two of the Remey books. The book called "A series of twelve of the preliminary architectural studies for a mausoleum for the Remey Family" is a history of different mausoleum styles. For each style of mausoleum Remey wrote a description and created three drawings: one of the front view, one of the side view, and a floor plan. One thing I found interesting is that all (or almost all) contained lower levels. The book contained his ideas on mausoleums and does not contain the one he built. The last four pages of the book describe his thoughts on what he would actually build and I think fans of the Remeum will find it very interesting.

The second book I looked at was called "The Rem¯eum" and describes what he actually started to build. I say started to build because he had really big plans and what was actually built was only a small part of his overall plan. He actually set up a trust fund so work could continue after he was dead. He was in his 60's when he started to build the Remeum. The book contains a drawing of his plan (from the top, looking down). I would describe the book as having three parts. The first is a description of what he built, the second is a description of what he planned to add, and the third is a series of pictures of statues and tombs.

I also looked at a folder that contained the report mentioned in the Matt Warner article on this thread. Looks like a high school research project from 1991 and I think it's the most comprehensive article available on the Remeum. There were also two newspaper articles.

I copied some of the more interesting stuff and will post it soon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 07:49PM by Hip.

Date: February 20, 2010 05:49PM

Here are the last pages of Remey's mausoleum architecture book. Note the last sentence on page 18 and the first two paragraphs on page 19.
Attachments:
Page18.jpg
page19.jpg
Page20.jpg
Page21.jpg

Date: February 20, 2010 07:09PM

Thanks Hip For posting the fruits of your research. Remey appears to be a very interresting character. It is a shame a part of his history and legacy had to be destroyed.

Posted by: lashdfl ()
Date: February 20, 2010 07:48PM

Doubt the county would have ever given him a permit to build 3 subteranian levels. After they put iron gates and eventually covered the entrance in iron gates, concrete, bricks and eventually 12 ft of dirt and people were still able to get in it but could not get into the alleged underground levels? Hence the reason why I personally dont think there was more than one level. I think he had a grand idea his entire life to build a "pyramid" of his own but, when it came down to local governments approving such a structure he was more than likely denied and had to settle for a single level. If there were more than one level why was his tomb and his families on the first?

A++ to Hip for finding that info

Date: February 20, 2010 09:46PM

Here are some pictures from Remey's Remeum book. The first three are his general plan. The actual drawing was folded up into three pieces and was hard to copy. The second picture joins to the first picture at the Mason Memorial. Also, it's interesting to compare the first picture and half of the second picture to the previously posted HistoricArials photo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2010 07:54PM by Hip.
Attachments:
Layout11.jpg
Layout21.jpg
Layout31.jpg

Date: February 20, 2010 10:01PM

More pictures from Remey's Remeum book. The little boy at the bottom was four years old according to one of the plaques on the brick tower.
Attachments:
Book2.jpg
Book222.jpg
RemeyStatue.jpg
Book221.jpg
Book21.jpg

Posted by: papashango ()
Date: February 21, 2010 10:42AM

thanks for posting that. very interesting stuff.

Date: February 21, 2010 11:57AM

wow.

very extensive floor plans.

from the paragraphs on page 19 it does sound like he completed what he sought out to do and that being underground lairs.

How could you only build the first floor without having begun digging out the bottom ones. i believe there are multiple levels!

Posted by: Whobe ()
Date: February 21, 2010 06:51PM

Was his wife really that short or did he make her pose on her knees? Perfect height anyway.
Also, why did he leave her after getting everybody and everything else out? Strange.

Posted by: DiamondD-REK ()
Date: February 22, 2010 04:56AM

Hey I've been following this thread for a few weeks, decided to register and share my thoughts...

foreword: I'm only 22, obviously never alive during the Remeum golden age.... I just sorta stumbled upon this site/thread & became interested

1: It’s really cool hearing all the stories involving fuzz/pot/brew/good times. I wish my generation had a cool place to chill like that. Thanks for all the history of the structure itself and all the first hand accounts!

2: Based on aerial photos, the "obelisk" that remains is where the question mark is in the photo at the top of the second page. There is a larger than normal shadow, cast by a larger than normal object, i.e. the obelisk.

3: Is anyone intending on trying to reenter the Remeum via the “91” entrance (if it is/was an entrance)? Someone said somethin’ about trying to do that, if so, I’m game. I saw a previous post where someone mentioned that this should be kept quiet. I completely agree; I’ve told one other person.

4: When I go, I’m definitely gonna bring a six-pack to continue the tradition.

Date: February 22, 2010 08:13AM

First and foremost: as Alan already said, Hip, thanks and beyond for all your research. Just amazing stuff.

Second: I've heard from a few sources that people were too frightened to venture all the way back into the Crypts (or was it the cinderblock wall that was in the way?). So am I to believe that ALL the rooms and chambers in the incredibly instensive plans posted above WERE actually underground 30 years ago.

Holy. Shit.

I'd been intrigued by the Remeum before, but now that I have more of an idea of the sheer size/awesomeness of what was down there...(multiple chapels, sprial staircases, corridors, tombs, ALL with approximately 20 foot high ceilings!) Did anyone ever go all the way back to the Calvary Corridor? That must have been incredible! If so, we need pictures!

I was devastated before when I found out the Crypts were demolished, but now that I know that there were more than just 3 or 4 chambers down there I'm just speechless.

Really, of all the places to pick to get high...why didn't people just stick to their parents' basement?

Posted by: bledbetter ()
Date: February 22, 2010 08:49AM

The Sculler Wrote:
> Really, of all the places to pick to get
> high...why didn't people just stick to their
> parents' basement?

Amen to that! There's no reason to destroy our past because of the irresponsibility of the present.

Date: February 22, 2010 12:59PM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
> Scull,
>
> You might want to make contact with Brian Conley
> (see below). Last I heard he was operating out of
> the general district archives in Springfield, but
> perhaps someone in the Virginia Room at the City
> of Fairfax Regional Library
> (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/branches/vr/
> ) could give you his e-mail address.
>
> Brian Conley is the Assistant County Archivist
> for
> Fairfax County. He was the research archivist in
> the
> Virginia Room of the Fairfax County Public
> Library
> until June 2007. He is well-known in our
> community
> for his compilation of County cemetery records of
> early residents. He has been a great help to many
> members of our Society who have used the Virginia
> Room holdings for their own research.
> Brian has compiled three books of great interest
>
>
>
>
>
> The Sculler Wrote:
> -----
> > GMU Hokie Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > The trustees of Pohick Church had to file a
> > > lawsuit to get the Mausoleum "Remeum"
> > demolished.
> > >
> > > The case file surely must exist.
> > >
> > > Has anyone reviewed it?
> >
> > Who was the lawsuit against? That would help
> in
> > the search, because they "negotiated" with
> Remey
> > (or was the lawsuit considered a negotiation?).
>
> > Was it the County?

Hokie, I'll probably stop by the actual site of the Crypts before I go to the Virginia Room (I'm itchin' to see the site once and for all when this snow melts). But when I do go to the VA Room, I'll be sure to ask for Mr. Conley.

Thanks for the tip.

Brian Conley
Date: February 22, 2010 03:55PM

Brian Conley no longer works in the Virginia Room, but surely someone there knows how to reach him.

Last I heard, he was working in the General District Court archives in Springfield off Backlick Road.

Why not stop by office of the Pohick Church itself and see what the folks there will tell you?

The Sculler Wrote:
> GMU Hokie Wrote:
> -----
> > Scull,
> >
> > You might want to make contact with Brian
> Conley
> > (see below). Last I heard he was operating out
> of
> > the general district archives in Springfield,
> but
> > perhaps someone in the Virginia Room at the
> City
> > of Fairfax Regional Library
> >
> (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/branches/vr/
>
> > ) could give you his e-mail address.
> >
> > Brian Conley is the Assistant County Archivist
> > for
> > Fairfax County. He was the research archivist
> in
> > the
> > Virginia Room of the Fairfax County Public
> > Library
> > until June 2007. He is well-known in our
> > community
> > for his compilation of County cemetery records
> of
> > early residents. He has been a great help to
> many
> > members of our Society who have used the
> Virginia
> > Room holdings for their own research.
> > Brian has compiled three books of great
> interest
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > The Sculler Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > GMU Hokie Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > The trustees of Pohick Church had to file a
> > > > lawsuit to get the Mausoleum "Remeum"
> > > demolished.
> > > >
> > > > The case file surely must exist.
> > > >
> > > > Has anyone reviewed it?
> > >
> > > Who was the lawsuit against? That would help
> > in
> > > the search, because they "negotiated" with
> > Remey
> > > (or was the lawsuit considered a
> negotiation?).
> >
> > > Was it the County?
>
> Hokie, I'll probably stop by the actual site of
> the Crypts before I go to the Virginia Room (I'm
> itchin' to see the site once and for all when this
> snow melts). But when I do go to the VA Room,
> I'll be sure to ask for Mr. Conley.
>
> Thanks for the tip.

Date: February 22, 2010 05:24PM

The Sculler Wrote:
> Second: I've heard from a few sources that people
> were too frightened to venture all the way back
> into the Crypts (or was it the cinderblock wall
> that was in the way?). So am I to believe that
> ALL the rooms and chambers in the incredibly
> instensive plans posted above WERE actually
> underground 30 years ago.
>
> Holy. Shit.
>
> I'd been intrigued by the Remeum before, but now
> that I have more of an idea of the sheer
> size/awesomeness of what was down
> there...(multiple chapels, sprial staircases,
> corridors, tombs, ALL with approximately 20 foot
> high ceilings!) Did anyone ever go all the way
> back to the Calvary Corridor? That must have been
> incredible! If so, we need pictures!
>
> I was devastated before when I found out the
> Crypts were demolished, but now that I know that
> there were more than just 3 or 4 chambers down
> there I'm just speechless.
>
> Really, of all the places to pick to get
> high...why didn't people just stick to their
> parents' basement?

As I recall the areas of the crypts where you've seen the photos was the extent of what you could explore in the mid 70's after the 1973 demolition. Anyone else from back in the day correct me if you know otherwise. We've heard of underground chambers but the main area wasn't all that big.

In the mid 70's nobody was vandalizing anything down there. I never saw anyone doing it nor the aftermath of vandalism. People were exploring, partying and having fun. You'd rather party in your parent's basement???

Date: February 22, 2010 06:29PM

Regarding the General Plan, IMO what was actually built is what's on the first page and about half of the second page. I think all pictures that have been posted of the inside are of the Entrance Chamber. I remember a separate room in the back right which looks like would have been the Mason Chapel. I don't remember a room on the back left which would have been the Remey Chapel. I don't think anything to the right of the Mason and Remey Chapels was built.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2010 07:40PM by Hip.

Date: February 22, 2010 06:41PM

Here's the picture and article from the Washington Star that talks about the JDs that broke into the Remeum back in 1956. Although the quality of the picture is not very good it's the only picture I've seen that shows what the outside looked like before it was destroyed. Note the arrow on the right side of the picture that shows the hole they made. From the outside the building looks a lot wider than I remember it being on the inside.
Attachments:
WashStar1.jpg
WashStar2.jpg

Date: February 22, 2010 06:51PM

Here's a Washington Star article from 1973. Sounds like they ran this story right before the church decided to destroy the Remeum. Note the first lines on the top of page 2 that talk about lighting underground portions.
Attachments:
Article P1.jpg
Article P2.jpg

Date: February 22, 2010 07:53PM

I agree with Hip. The only underground parts of the Crypt that were completed; Entrance Chamber, Remey Chapel, Mason Chapel, and the two Tombs beside the Chapels. I remember the cinderblock walls that Jimbo refers too; one was where the entrance to the large storage room would have been and the other was where the entrance to the Rotunda would have been. Thanks again for the pictures, Hip's research, and first-hand accounts. It has been interesting to learn some of Remey,s history and plans.

Date: February 22, 2010 07:54PM

HIP - Thanks for all the great research!!! I know it's appreciated by all and the crypts legend isn't fading away with those of us who actually explored it.

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: February 22, 2010 09:13PM

This has been the best thread on this web site, ever! Thanks to all the people who contributed!

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: February 22, 2010 10:07PM

kudos to all

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: February 22, 2010 10:10PM

Spacy Wrote:
> This has been the best thread on this web site,
> ever! Thanks to all the people who contributed!

Definitely. I didn't think urbex was possible in Fairfax, hopefully it will expand to other places in the county as well.

Date: February 23, 2010 07:51AM

Hokie, as tempting as it is to ask someone at Pohick Church about the Crypts, I don't think it's a good idea. As the latest article that Hip posted (and, thank you again for your hard work and research!), Pohick Church has been dealing with the problems of vandalism for nearly 45 years, so I don't think they'll want to talk about it nor will they be excited about someone being interested in it (despite the innocent intentions).

CBLB78, I got a little excited yesterday when I was under the impression that all of the above plans/drawings were constructed and completed underground, then only to be destroyed because the Church was fed up with the vandalism. Now knowing that it was in fact only 4 or 5 rooms down there and not the incredible vision that Remey had originally plannedd, I'm not AS crushed as I would have been now that I know it's gone.
However, seeing as I'm a complete straight-edge, the appeal of going down there for anything beyond exploration doesn't make much sense to me. I understand having a good time, and that times were VERY different back then (MUCH cooler in alot of ways), but I just think it sucks that a few bad apples had to potentially ruin it for everyone. But when kids stumble upon something as cool as the Crypts that's completely secluded and out of site from the authorities and their parents, I can see how things could get out of hand. But why trash it?

But can you imagine if Remey had completed the Remeum as he'd planned and it was still there today, safe from the elements and corrosion (and NUCS!)? What if that planning committee had been able to make it an historical landmark and it was completely safe from urban development?

Date: February 23, 2010 09:07AM

My point is only that the vandalism problem was from before the 1973 demolition. I think you can blame the eventual demolition on those from back in the 50's and 60's. I don't think we've heard from anyone that was there before the demo.

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: February 23, 2010 10:00AM

Sculler,

I have been to the church and asked them about the crypts, this was sometime in the late 1990's. They didn't have a lot of info but they were very friendly and told me and a friend that the crypts had been sealed and there was no entrance anymore. We actually left the church and walked straight through the woods to were the crypt used to be and no one bothered us or asked us to leave. I imagine that they don't know much about them because the people who took care of the church when the crypts were still open no longer work there and the new people only have stories that have been passed down by former employees. I don't think you would bring any unwanted attention to the site if you spoke with them, although I'm not sure you would gain anything from it either.

Date: February 23, 2010 11:10AM

It would be very interesting to me if someone knew of any members of the Pagens from the 60's or early 70's and could get their take on the Crypts. I really think it was a huge party place for them and they were the ones that mostly destroyed the place in wild drunken, acid laced parties from that time. I've heard many very bad stories of some of the bad things that happened there over the years and the Pagens were always in the center of it. When I first started going there long ago, the first thing we checked for was to make sure no motorcycles were parked close by...

Date: February 23, 2010 11:23AM

Somebody earlier in the thread (I'm not gonna even begin to look for it) had said that they too had taken a tour of the church, and had inquired about the Crypts. That had something like the tour guides were very quick to say that it was something they didn't like to discuss and quickly moved on with the tour. Having heard that, plus reading the articles as to what the church had been through in the past with vandals, I ASSUMED (my mistake) that if they got wind of someone being interested in the Crypts once again they'd be quick to put a stop to it.
But hearing what you said gives me alot of hope. I guess they figure that there's not a whole helluvalot to see back there, so there's no reason to worry about it anymore.
I am looking forward to getting out there once all this crap melts, to just get an idea of where it once was and what it may have looked like. Maybe get an idea of just HOW MUCH demo they did, and what could still be underground.

Date: February 23, 2010 11:31AM

Zoomer Wrote:
> It would be very interesting to me if someone knew
> of any members of the Pagens from the 60's or
> early 70's and could get their take on the Crypts.
> I really think it was a huge party place for them
> and they were the ones that mostly destroyed the
> place in wild drunken, acid laced parties from
> that time. I've heard many very bad stories of
> some of the bad things that happened there over
> the years and the Pagens were always in the center
> of it. When I first started going there long ago,
> the first thing we checked for was to make sure no
> motorcycles were parked close by...

Yeah. If anyone knows any of the original members of that classy group of people, let 'em know, "Thanks a-fuckin'-lot" and "The bitch didn't fall off your bike, she was never on it in the first place since there's nowhere else to sit thanks to your fat ass!"

Date: February 23, 2010 07:11PM

Again thanks to all. When I visited the Crypt in the late 70's I thought it was impressive then, even with the dirt bulldozed in front of the entrance and courtyard walls. I never realized who built it until right before this thread was started and even then you could not find much information on it. Now when you Goggle Remeum this Fairfax Underground thread is there and it is updated when this thread is updated.I believe the Pagans/Hells Angels rumble in the early 80's was the final nail in the coffin (no pun intended) for the Crypt. It has been nice meeting you Hip, Jimbo, CBLB78, and The Sculler.

Date: February 23, 2010 07:54PM

I used Photoshop to put the HistoricArials photo next to Remey's general plan to show the sections that were built. I wish the airplane and copyright text weren't there.
Attachments:
Combined.jpg

Date: February 23, 2010 10:27PM

Alan Rogers Wrote:
> Again thanks to all. When I visited the Crypt in
> the late 70's I thought it was impressive then,
> even with the dirt bulldozed in front of the
> entrance and courtyard walls. I never realized who
> built it until right before this thread was
> started and even then you could not find much
> information on it. Now when you Goggle Remeum this
> Fairfax Underground thread is there and it is
> updated when this thread is updated.I believe the
> Pagans/Hells Angels rumble in the early 80's was
> the final nail in the coffin (no pun intended) for
> the Crypt. It has been nice meeting you Hip,
> Jimbo, CBLB78, and The Sculler.

We're in the same boat. I never knew the actual history back in the day and, later, the crypts were just a memory without any details. I'm sure many who I told my stories to probably didn't believe me. The various pictures of my contemporarys exploring brought a rush of memories. I never thought to take a camera there but I'm glad somebody did. Hip's research and articles are awesome. I'm not sure how you found them.

Now I'd like to hear more about the motorcycle gangs and pre-demolition stories of the 60's and early 70's.

Date: February 24, 2010 07:02AM

Alan Rogers Wrote:
> Again thanks to all. When I visited the Crypt in
> the late 70's I thought it was impressive then,
> even with the dirt bulldozed in front of the
> entrance and courtyard walls. I never realized who
> built it until right before this thread was
> started and even then you could not find much
> information on it. Now when you Goggle Remeum this
> Fairfax Underground thread is there and it is
> updated when this thread is updated.I believe the
> Pagans/Hells Angels rumble in the early 80's was
> the final nail in the coffin (no pun intended) for
> the Crypt. It has been nice meeting you Hip,
> Jimbo, CBLB78, and The Sculler.

Likewise, without a doubt. I've only been in the area since 1998. If you hadn't started this thread, and the incredible contributions of everyone else had not been posted, I would've NEVER known about this treasure in Fairfax's history.

Date: February 24, 2010 08:06AM

Maybe I'm not searching correctly, but the only thing I find on the Pagans/Hells Angels in Lorton when I Google is THIS THREAD! (Hehe) I found another article about the Pagans dumping 2 bodies of a rival gang out near Tysons Corner in the 70's, but that's it.

I don't know if the fight between the Hells Angels and the Pagans at the Crypts was ever written up in the papers. We may have to rely on the memories of posters, if anyone has 'em.

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: February 24, 2010 09:08AM

I don't remember hearing about a fight at the crypts, maybe it was just in this area and not actually at the crypts. I do remember that across the street from Marumsco Plaza on Rt 1 in Woodbridge there used to be an old abandoned house and the Pagan's used it to party and hang out in it. There were always motorcycles parked outside and remnants of bonfires in the yard. It was destroyed years ago and replaced with a bank.

From looking at the historic aerials pic next to the plans I would say the mound of dirt out in the woods is about the size and length of the Cruciform Enclosure. If the Inner Atrium area was built it would seem very possible that it is still intact, they probably destroyed the main entrance and bulldozed a ton of dirt over it but since there was no second entrance why waste the time and money to destroy an area that no one could get to.

I feel like we are writing our own episode of Cities of the Underworld, now if we could just find a way to get down there and see what, if anything, is left.

Date: February 24, 2010 09:17AM

I like your style.

Date: February 25, 2010 10:55PM

In all of our visits to the Crypts, we never saw any evidence of the Pagan motorcycle club. Once, we encountered a guy leaving the Crypt entrance with a shotgun. He was our age or younger. We just sort of nodded at each other and continued inside, hoping not to find freshly murdered people.

On several occasions we heard the tell-tale sound of small rocks rolling down the rubble pile and hitting the floor of the Crypt hall. That meant that someone was on the mound outside the entrance or on their way in...

1. Once I crept to the top of the mount and saw the pant legs of a Virginia State Trooper. I was dismayed and slithered back to deliver the news to my friends. We waited down there without lights or noise for about 45 minutes until the trooper left. That was a little eerie.

2. While roaming around down there one night, we heard a lot of rocks falling and the sound of someone sliding down the rubble pile. We hid behind statues because we thought that this was someone in a hurry. When the person arrived, he was clearly scared shitless. He was latino and was asking "Hey man! Is it cool!? Is it cool!?" One of my buddies decided to mess with his mind. He had a grey Radio Shack flashlight with about a half-dozen D-cells in it. He stepped out from behind the statue and shouted something like "Hail Azmodeus!! King of evil!!! Who will be the sacrifice!!?" We all beamed on him and he screamed. It turned out he had his girlfriend with him and he had twisted his ankle. We let him know that we were just kidding and not to worry. Shortly thereafter, about 6 or so of his friends came down and proceeded to get really drunk and make a huge amount of noise. We left.

3. One of our friends was a total waste-of-skin druggie who wanted to go to the Crypts. On the way there he drank some beers and I think he took some of his mother's quaaludes. We literally carried him into the crypts and put him in the same sarcophagus seen in the earlier page of this blog (the one with our class valedictorian in it). He woke up about an hour later, sat up and said something like, "Whoa! Very cool!" It didn't seem to phase him one bit. I wonder where he is now?

It is a shame that there is nothing left of the place now. Where are today's youth going to go for wholesome fun and adventure?

Date: February 26, 2010 07:12AM

I glad there was a better sense of community back then. If the Crypts were still around today I'd be VERY cautious about worming down that hole and taking a chance on the crazy fuckers that are walking the streets today!

Date: February 26, 2010 06:15PM

Jimbo,
Regarding the pictures you've posted, can you tell us what year they were taken?

Date: February 27, 2010 12:04AM

I was still in highschool, so I'd say between 1978-1980. I was using one of those 110 instamatics.That's why they are so grainy when you scan them and enlarge them.

Here is a picture of me on one of the body slabs in the Crypt. I would wear a head lamp to keep my hands free.It looked dorky but it was very functional.
Attachments:
crypt967.jpg

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: February 27, 2010 11:23AM

I agree this is the best post ever on FFX underground. The thread about who's buried in front of Pan Am shopping center would be second.

But I love historical stuff about our county. Thanks everyone for the historical research on this.

Date: February 27, 2010 01:55PM

When I went there in 1979-1982 we used to take Pohick Road to Route 1 and park at a dumpy a little store. I think it was called the Pohick Country or General Store which was on the other side of Route 1 from the Crypts. It's not there anymore but I haven't heard this store mentioned by anyone on this thread. Just wondering if anyone else remembers the store or where they used to park when visiting the Crypts. I know it's been 30+ years and the area around the Crypts has changed.

Also, on this thread I've learned that Remey called his mausoleum "the Remeum". I think the most popular name we had for the place was "the Crypts" followed by "the Pohick Crypts". I'm interested in how other people referred to the place. We never called it the Remeum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 07:08PM by Hip.

Posted by: chili today, hot tamale ()
Date: February 27, 2010 04:36PM

I've been following this thread too, really interesting thanks guys.

Alan Rogers Wrote:
> I agree with Hip. The only underground parts of
> the Crypt that were completed; Entrance Chamber,
> Remey Chapel, Mason Chapel, and the two Tombs
> beside the Chapels. I remember the cinderblock
> walls that Jimbo refers too; one was where the
> entrance to the large storage room would have been
> and the other was where the entrance to the
> Rotunda would have been. Thanks again for the
> pictures, Hip's research, and first-hand accounts.
> It has been interesting to learn some of Remey,s
> history and plans.

So looking at the map you guys are saying the entrance chamber, two chapels and the two side by site tombs were there and then there was a concrete wall which would have led to the rotunda. I may have missed it but could the rest of the underground tomb have existed, going back to the other tombs, chapels, etc? Like maybe it was sealed off earlier so that if the entrance chamber was broken into it would still prevent people from going any deeper into the tomb?

Posted by: Whobe ()
Date: February 27, 2010 08:24PM

Wasn't there a boarded up building attached to that old store? I used to stop there once in a while when I worked near there.

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: February 28, 2010 12:48AM

I think the fact that after so many have posted here without a mention of anything beyond the first five rooms indicates that it's likely that's all there is.

So, Sculler, what's the status of the plans to slip through the vents to try to get down there again? :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 12:52AM by Kardinal.

Date: February 28, 2010 07:44PM

The "91" picture and the newspaper picture from 1956 (with the juvenile delinquents) look to me like they are the same entrance (the 91 picture obviously after the first attempt to cover the Remeum). If so, where is that entrance on the blueprints? Is the "91" entrance the main entrance on the blueprints? Also, if that is the case, which wall is portrayed in the first picture of this thread?

Date: February 28, 2010 11:06PM

I graduated from Lake Braddock in 1980. What school did you go to, Hip?

I also remember parking at that store. When I read that post I suddenly remembered that we parked by that run down place and we would walk along the same side of the road (in the same direction as the traffic) before cutting right to go down to the crypts. The more direct path was reserved for summer, when the leaves on the trees would block Stumpy's view and quiet things a bit. The indirect path was through the woods and we would come up to the rear of the Crypt. We reserved that for winter since the lack of foliage left us exposed.

I also remember that there were marble plaques with bas relief carvings set into the outside walls. They depicted the freeing of the slaves and some other military scenes. Inside the crypt there was another marble plaque of a Navy ship. I don't remember the name of the ship. I Googled "USS Remey" and I found a US Destroyer by that name but it was named after a different Remey (George C Remey rather than Charles Remey of the Crypts).

Date: March 01, 2010 07:47AM

Kardinal Wrote:
> I think the fact that after so many have posted
> here without a mention of anything beyond the
> first five rooms indicates that it's likely that's
> all there is.
>
> So, Sculler, what's the status of the plans to
> slip through the vents to try to get down there
> again? :)

Well, with Old Man Winter pretty much out of the picture, I'm thinking this weekend looks promising. With the warmer temperatures throughout this week I'm thinking most of the snow will be gone, yet it'll still be too cold for ticks (I hate those little bastards!). I don't have access to any kind of video camera, so I plan to arm myself with a flashlight to take a look down the vents if I can and a rope with something tied to the end to try and get an idea of how far down they go. I'm pretty excited about finally seeing the site, and hopefully no one from the church will be too concerned about me being there, as was discussed earlier. As I've said before, I don't have a digital camera, but I will let you know my take on what I find.

Hip, according to what you said in the early days of this thread, if I'm standing in front of the tower and turn to my right I would be looking at where the entrance would have been. However, using all the information you've posted since then (as well as looking at Bing's bird's eye view and Historicaerials), it looks as if the tower was at the very southeastern end of the Cruciforn Enclosure (in front of the bench), therefore I would need to turn 180 degrees and walk about 100-150 feet to find myself at what was the entrance to the Crypts. What are your thoughts on this, do I have it right?

Something else I found interesting while comparing and contrasting pictures of the present and past, if you look at the first picture of the entrance that was posted on this thread (the "91 picture") and then compare it to the picture from the 1956 break-in, you really get an idea of just how much dirt that they threw on top of this thing. Take a look at the guy from 1956 inspecting the hole in the wall and then look at the "91 picture", and you'll see that it's more than just a few feet of dirt that we're dealing with.

Posted by: Mrs. Remeys ghost ()
Date: March 01, 2010 05:21PM

I'll be waiting.

Date: March 01, 2010 05:23PM

Yo Sculler: you agree that the "91" picture is the same as the 1956JD (juvenile delinquent) picture? If that is the case, I was thinking the same thing about the amount of digging; hence, why we need to be 100% sure of the entrance site before any possible excavation.

Posted by: jgr007 ()
Date: March 01, 2010 07:04PM

I think the store across from the Church and Tomb ended up being Bozelli's. GREAT subs.

A friend of mine has been following this thread. He has pics similar to those posted. His brother-in-law used to go back in there in the late 60s/early 70. and said they blocked the main part off. I believe the quote was that it, "used to back all the way under Route 1." I don't think that is quite true, but I think there is more to it than is shown in most of the pics.

Posted by: Fuzz, The ()
Date: March 01, 2010 07:33PM

Mrs. Remeys ghost Wrote:
> I'll be waiting.

Me too

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: March 01, 2010 10:57PM

This is one of the most interesting topics I have ever followed. I never heard of it before FFXU, but love what has been "dug up". I was raised in the area but am/ was too young to have known about this before now. When i was a teenager, the place at Rt 1 and Pohick had an OLD building that was, at the time (early 90's) an "antique store/ flea shop". Dump of a place, but looking back what a different time, those old farmhouses and country buildings that I barely remember. On the Pagan note, would they have been patrons of Hillbilly Heaven or Bar- J's? I used to date a guy that lived off Rt. 1 and he worked at Booth Feeds (on Rt. 1) and we'd get food at Bar J's (the one on Rt. 1, not in the shopping center)

Pages: Previous1234567891011AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 11

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.