HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567891011AllNext
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Remey Tomb/Crypt
Posted by: 6X ()
Date: February 18, 2014 07:35PM

I did some digging and uncovered this.
Attachments:
crypts 1972.JPG

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: part of the tomb still exists ()
Date: February 18, 2014 09:12PM

increasing scrutiny of local law enforcement became a legal liability to the parish which ultimately contracted with a local road construction company based in nearby Newington, Virginia, to cover over the complex completely and regrade the area so as to eradicate any traces. This was accomplished in the fall of 1983.

Currently the only remaining features of the Remeum are an obelisk honoring Remey's father and mother which stood at one end of the courtyard, south of the inner atrium's entrance, and two chimney/vent structures. The area has been reforested since the 1983 site-work and there are no other visible traces of the complex left.

There remains considerable debate over just how much of the below-ground sections of the mausoleum were ever completed and may still exist below ground. Some claim it was only the one five-room subterranean level, while some witnesses have reported at least two, and possibly as many as five sub-levels.

38°42'26"N 77°11'47"W coordinates of the tomb

Posted by: The Visitor ()
Date: February 18, 2014 10:34PM

Thanks for the picture--I remember that courtyard. On the walls were various plaques, but I don't remember what they were. Very cool place. Shame it was covered up.

Posted by: Mike T ()
Date: February 20, 2014 03:28PM

What a great thread! It brought back lots of memories.

A couple of small things I can add ... You should probably include Thomas Jefferson High School to your list of schools that frequented The Crypts. It was a well known right of passage for us in the late 1970's / early 80's.

Also, I noticed a few people on here going back and forth on whether The Pagans and Hells Angels ever had a big fight there. I can confirm that there was indeed a fairly large fight (with some bikers) that happened on Halloween of 1981. (Actually, It might have been 1982 ? .. but I'm leaning more towards 1981).

It was late Halloween night. My friends and I were down inside the Crypt with a few other people partying. A group of maybe 4 or 5 bikers started climbing through the entrance hole. They were being pretty rowdy, yelling and talking about fighting. I remember at least 2 of them having "Pagans" jackets on.

It was starting to get crowded in there, so we made our way towards the hole to leave. Right as I was climbing out, I heard people (from outside) yelling; "Fight!"

As I got out and my eyes adjusted, I could see small groups of people fighting all over the place. Some were bikers, some had chains and bats, and others looked more like just random teenagers?

As we were getting our barring's straight, and trying to regroup, I spun around just in time to see one of my friends get picked up and body slammed to the ground by a biker. Another biker with a chain swung it at my other friend, and he went down. Luckily for me, police sirens had just started blaring and everyone was yelling; "Cops!" and scrambling to get out of there.

The two bikers that jumped us, ran off, and within seconds we could hear dogs barking, bullhorns, and flashlights were coming our way. There were at least 50 people there ... all running in different directions.

We ended up loosing a few of our friends in the melee and hiding out in some bushes, before finally getting up the courage to sneak back to the cars. Along the way, we saw several ambulances, lots of police cars, and a few officers with police dogs.

I never saw a Hell's Angels jacket. Although, it all happened so fast, I couldn't be certain if they were there or not? It may have just been some drunken Pagan bikers celebrating Halloween by beating on some high school kids?

Looking back on it all, the funny thing was that my friends and I were all dressed up for Halloween. I was a pimp, wearing a loud suit, vest, hat, and carrying a cane. Two of the girls with us were my call girls, and my friend that got body slammed in the fight ... was also dressed up as a girl.

A lot of what happened that night is just a fading memory, but I can still see, in perfect slow motion, the imagine of my friend ... in his dress, being flipped over onto the ground.

When we reconnected with him at the car, one of his balloon breasts had been popped in the altercation. We laughed about that for years.

Ahhh, Good times. Good times.

Posted by: The Yellow King ()
Date: March 24, 2014 03:44PM

Carcosa

Posted by: JML ()
Date: June 06, 2014 09:43PM

Has anyone been around the site to explore lately? Any progress on the story Brody?

Posted by: Brody Levesque ()
Date: June 07, 2014 12:05AM

WASHINGTON

June 6, 2014

Dear JML,

The research is done and now I'm writing the story.

To quote the "Grateful Dead," 'What a long strange trip it's been.'

Sadly though, my 'day job' as a journalist has prevented me from spending enough time to speed up the process.

I hope to have a first draft by November and I'll publish excerpts here in the thread for its followers when I do.

Sincerely,

Brody Levesque

Posted by: AA Crypt Seeker ()
Date: August 15, 2014 09:41PM

No updates recently, hope this subject isn't dead. I would think it's not since there is so much interest in this old crypt. Never went there, but I heard plenty about it. I graduated Annandale in 82 and there was plenty of talk about the "crypts". Just so sorry after reading all these posts that I unfortunately never made it out there.

Thanks to all that have posted and to Brody for his efforts. Look forward to seeing the outcome of everyones efforts. Will be back to check on progress.

Good Luck!

Posted by: Enrico Palazzo ()
Date: August 15, 2014 10:04PM

Thanks Brody for your work on this.

Posted by: Lorton old timer ()
Date: October 24, 2014 12:31AM

bump

Posted by: Glen Anderson ()
Date: November 03, 2014 08:28PM

Brody,
Thanks from myself for the work on the Crypts. Not sure if you were aware of a picture I saw of some books about the Remey Family History that was at Two Guys Antiques & Collectibles in Dumfries, Va. in 2012. This picture is from Facebook.
Attachments:
remey history book.jpg

Posted by: Joanne Steele ()
Date: November 05, 2014 02:44PM

I bought those books back in 2000. If you wish to purchase them please contact me at: hytec@shentel.net

Posted by: Annandale Local ()
Date: November 10, 2014 01:12PM

Any chance anyone can look up Bob Saget's posts that were deleted? I am curious to know what he wrote about that got him in trouble and made him manually delete all the poasts.

Posted by: Shmaug ()
Date: November 11, 2014 12:22PM

Who cares about a bunch of old bricks buried in the ground and some fat old flamer who wants to write a book about them?
Look to infinity, and beyond............
Attachments:
I gotta move!.gif

Posted by: bump a delphia ()
Date: November 17, 2014 09:46AM

bump
Attachments:
fc84040_1235005944896.jpg

Posted by: KellyC ()
Date: November 22, 2014 11:57AM

It's nearing the end of November. I have been following and checking this forum for quite some time, anxiously awaiting excerpts from Brody's book. How is that coming along, Brody?

Posted by: Johnny ()
Date: November 22, 2014 06:37PM

Great thread. I've read it all. Please add me to the list that is anxiously awaiting Brody's work. I can't wait and I am truly hoping he is holding photos of the innermost rooms.

Class of 83 here... I ventured out with 2 older friends late one afternoon in either 80 or 81, parked across Route 1, and quietly trekked to the entrance of the crypts. I don't think we were drunk enough cause it was scary as hell. We each stuck our upper torso through the rough opening but did not go inside. I mainly remember a bunch of beer cans and garbage on the floors and a musty stale stench of an odor in there. I could tell lots of people had come and gone as the path was well beaten but we didn't see anyone at all that night.

Regarding the vents... I have read that the Remeum may have included an actual onsite crematorium... Is there any chance that one or maybe both of the vents you guys have documented here were originally not for air exchange at all but rather to provide combustion air and/or exhaust of the smoke from the cremations? They obviously don't top off at an elevation right now that seems high enough for this use, but we know for certain that there have been at least a couple of serious changes in elevation there that may likely have substantially "shortened" there height above grade.

Leaving the obelisk standing makes sense but I find it VERY INTERESTING that the vents and the site survey markers are still there and visible if anything below was demolished.

I am also remaining suspicious that the reason Brody has not been allowed access to the minutes of the meetings regarding the church actions on the property and on Remey is that their possibly may have been some legal liberties played that the church isn't very proud of. It seems that Remey wouldn't have been able to afford much of a legal defense by the time the church was coming after the property.

Regardless.. this is a most interesting place on the internet.

Posted by: don vega ()
Date: January 09, 2015 07:48PM

2015 bump

Posted by: The real Alan Rogers ()
Date: January 17, 2015 03:56PM

Hey Brody, Happy New Year and looking forward to a good one! How is the book coming along? I am sure it will be a historical read; and many people would be interested to learn of the Crypts (even ones who have never visited them). Let me know so I can buy a copy.

Posted by: jeff mcdermott ()
Date: February 17, 2015 09:53AM

that's him.......that's the gentleman that chased us out of the woods with his 2 dogs and walking cane......what a night !!

Posted by: Cap'n Chaos ()
Date: April 10, 2015 12:32PM

One thing I don't understand is how the portion behind the "91" entrance is constructed. Shouldn't there be a wall there? It doesn't look like there is one. It just looks like a mound of dirt. And if so, what's to stop you from just walking up the mound and dropping right into the inner courtyard? Seems kind of pointless to build 20ft. walls all around the place if they are basically allowing you access to the top so easily.
Attachments:
Remey3.jpg

Posted by: Ghost of Remey ()
Date: April 10, 2015 01:12PM

Cap'n Chaos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One thing I don't understand is how the portion
> behind the "91" entrance is constructed. Shouldn't
> there be a wall there? It doesn't look like there
> is one. It just looks like a mound of dirt. And if
> so, what's to stop you from just walking up the
> mound and dropping right into the inner courtyard?
> Seems kind of pointless to build 20ft. walls all
> around the place if they are basically allowing
> you access to the top so easily.

There was sort of a short wall/crest at the top of the entrance that continued the line from the corners that you can see. But that was more of a decorative finish to the structure.

The realistic answer is that it wasn't really intended as a fortress or some high-security facility. You could have scaled or squeezed under/around the main iron gate at the entrance too if you wanted to. The wall is more a feature of and/or constitutes part of the structure itself rather than for security.

Posted by: Cap'n Chaos ()
Date: April 10, 2015 01:59PM

Ah OK. I got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: April 11, 2015 07:15AM

That guy's been lying to you folks for years. Never had any intention of writing anything other than trolling posts.

Posted by: Another Visitor ()
Date: April 11, 2015 03:01PM

Curmudgeon Wrote:
> That guy's been lying to you folks for years.
> Never had any intention of writing anything other
> than trolling posts.

Thanks Brody. Looking forward to more updates. We still believe in Yins!

Posted by: Bill Blackburn ()
Date: April 17, 2015 09:42PM

In fact once Abdu'l-Baha had legally (and of course spiritually) adopted Charles Mason Remey, Shoghi Effendi appointed Charles Mason Remey to the position of President of the First International Baha'i Council which by definition was indeed the Embryonic Universal House of Justice.

Problems arose with the assassination of Shoghi Effendi during his bout with the flu in England by his wife Ruhiyyih Khanum with help from her henchmen who were among the Hands appointed by Shoghi Effendi himself.

She and the Hands murdered Shoghi Effendi in a coup to get him and Charles Mason Remey out of the way so they could as they say in their own words sieze the helm of the faith. This act caused the disbanding of the First International Baha'i Council, hijacking the Baha'i Administration and duping all of the people who identified themselves as Baha'i's yet were too undeepened in the writings to realize what had just happened in this coup. Now they just follow along like blind cultists giving money to the organization masquerading as Baha'i.

Sucks to be them.

Date: April 18, 2015 02:20PM

Fortunately Charles Mason Remey adopted a son, Joseph Pepe Remey and passed his inheritance to him. That inheritance included the throne of King David which Abdu'l-Baha' and His Father Baha'u'llah ruled from.

The Baha'i Administration survived the coup of Khanum and the Hands which included their assassination of Shoghi Effendi in 1957.

The Universal House of Justice is now well established in the world with the great great grandson of Baha'u'llah seated in an unbroken lineage of succession on the throne of King David which will never be without a descendant of Baha'u'llah seated upon it.

We met with Brody near D.C. a few years ago and greatly appreciate his research and great effort in bringing a part of the history of Charles Mason Remey the son of Abdu'l-Baha' and first Aghsan Guardian of the Baha'i Faith to light.

Date: May 02, 2015 06:42PM

WASHINGTON

May 2, 2015

Dear Folks,

First of all I am writing this work-in-progress read: book- in between regular work as a political reporter. It's simply going to take time.

The research is pretty much done and I also want to acknowledge all of you who "partied" at the crypts who had met with me or spoke to me via phone & email.
Your collective stories are fantastic.

The search for C.M. Remey and his story has taken me from the National Archives to The Library of Congress and 5 presidential libraries and numerous universities' collections.

Whats is always so amusing to me is that so many of you who were there during the Remeum's heyday were quite literally walking through and in some cases over history.

There are still a couple of questions to answer, I guess most glaring are why Remey selected the Pohick Church for this museum/mausoleum/cenotaph to himself and his family. And then why he then abandoned it after spending so much money on it.

I don't have to tell you folks, especially those of you who followed this thread from the start, it's a hugely interesting story.

So, I ask patience and I have promised and will keep my promise that the excerpts will be posted here. With thanks to Cary of course who owns the site.

Be well folks,

Brody Levesque

PS: As always you folks are free to contact me at my email address:theroadtraveler@gmail.com

Posted by: Peter W. ()
Date: May 06, 2015 07:03PM

It's fascinating the accusations that people will make up when it appears from the history that Remey was attempting to seize the headship of the Bahai community for himself. Remey was a sad individual and the 50 or so people who still follow him stoop quite low to make allegations that reveal baseness and crazy conspiracy theories. Remey's crypt is a fascinating and weird story for people in Fairfax County and a colorful bit of local history. But it is pretty flimsy as a statement on the Bahais.

Date: May 07, 2015 03:05AM

AN OPEN EPISTLE FROM K. P. SEELEY Knight of Baha’u’llah

Dear Neisan R. Pehnro,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I’ll get right to the body of your message.

If seen as presented by the organization based in Haifa, Israel the Baha’i Faith could indeed appear to be a “watered-down, customized version of Shiism” as you said.

In fact the actual Baha’i Faith isn’t anything of the sort. What happened was that in 1957 Ruhiyyih Khanum, the wife of Shoghi Effendi, together with the Hands appointed by Shoghi Effendi led a coup that derailed Shoghi Effendi’s long-term plans for the progress of the global teaching effort and the development of the Baha’i Administration, the very role for which he was chosen by Abdu’l-Baha’.

They lied to the entire world of Baha’i believers by telling them to pray for his recovery from the Asian Flu many hours after he had passed on to make time for them to solidify their grip on their assumed positions of authority, positions which they did not actually hold.

The primary goal of their coup was to disband the First International Baha’i Council which had as its President, Abdu’l-Baha’s adopted son, Charles Mason Remey who was to serve as The Aghsan Guardian of the Baha’i Faith upon the passing of Shoghi Effendi, as provided for explicitly in the Will and Testament of Abdu’l-Baha’. That First International Baha’i Council appointed by Shoghi Effendi was, in accordance with the writings of both Baha’u’llah and Abdu’l-Baha’, the first of four stages in the development of the true Universal House of Justice of Baha’u’llah.

Once that council and its President were effectively removed and replaced with/by Ruhiyyih Khanum and the Hands, and the Baha’i’s of the world were sufficiently convinced that turning to Khanum and the Hands was indeed the proper thing to do, they were free to make up whatever they chose to command allegiance and extract money from their followers who never realized they were no longer following Baha’u’llah and had come out from under the provisions of His Covenant. Their false, non-Baha’i administration has continued in this manner to this day.

Part of the false narrative they concocted was that God had mysteriously changed His will with regard to the continuation of the Guardianship (the Davidic Kingship, see Psalm 89, Jeremiah 33 & The Proclamation Of Baha’u’llah pg. 89) without providing any direction as to what the new plan was. They used the term “Bada” to express this. (Baha’u’llah prophesied decades earlier that some within the ranks would attempt to suffocate His Revelation with “the pillow of bada”.)

This was simply a lie but they were told by Khanum and the Hands that turning to the EXPLICIT writings of Baha’u’llah, Abdu’l-Baha’ or Shoghi Effendi would be the wrong thing to do and would lead only to confusion and conflict. They were told that they must stay calm and await the instructions of the Hands. This set up a type of Imamate where the Hands would be the supreme leaders telling all the people what to believe, who to talk to, who to avoid/shun and what subjects were taboo to speak of amongst themselves under threat of the most severe spiritual and temporal sanctions. Uninformed yet religious people being as they were in the Baha’i world at that time and since, this tactic proved very effective and their self-created, self-assumed positions of authority were thus secured in an atmosphere of fear, misplaced reverence and ignorance.

They invented and perpetuated the prohibition of women being elected to the UHJ, as you now understand from your reading of this proclamation – http://www.uhj.net/justice-for-women.html – which clears that matter up. Now you know that no such prohibition has ever been, nor now is, any part of the Aqdas, the Baha’i Laws.

To be clear on the Aqdas, we the Baha’i’s Under the Provisions of the Covenant are not in any way reforming the Aqdas. The Aqdas has never actually been given to the people. What parts were given by Shoghi Effendi were co-opted, rewritten and mis-interpreted by the Hands and fed back to the people following them saying things in diametric opposition to the Revelation of Baha’u’llah and the 12 Basic Baha’i Principles. http://uhj.net/bahaiprinciples/bahai-12-principles.html

Quoting Shoghi Effendi:

“The Persians do not have the complete “Aqdas”, nor even a complete compilation, as it is not yet a “book”. The laws are encountered in many Tablets written by Baha’u’llah. For example, in a Tablet written to a certain person, He would suddenly announce a new Law. Some day, all of these will be compiled into a single book. “The Aqdas” will have to be translated by experts. The present Guardian will not do it. When the Baha’i State is formed, “The Aqdas” will be promulgated. The Laws are few but very strict…. There are twenty-six volumes of the Tablets directed to persons, which contain parts of the “Aqdas”. These will later be included in the “Aqdas”.

“I have indicated some of these laws for present observance. I shall see how the people obey them and give them out gradually. Little by little the Guardian will indicate those Laws which are obligatory, binding, and those which are recommended.” (Shoghi Effendi, To a Believer, Jan. 15 – Feb 11, 1956)

The 26 volumes that will form the Aqdas include the 12 Basic Baha’i Principles – http://uhj.net/bahaiprinciples/bahai-12-principles.html – These form the core principles of the Aqdas, they are upheld by the current Guardian, and they are not to be violated.

With this in mind I will now address the issue of Homosexuality in the light of the true Baha’i Aqdas. You will see as you did in the case with the equality of men and women, the 6th Basic Baha’i Principle – http://uhj.net/bahaiprinciples/equality.html – upheld in the true Baha’i Aqdas, that the Aqdas is not in need of any reformation but more of a restoration from the corruption imposed upon the Baha’i’s and others by Ruhiyyih Khanum and the Hands.

The Aqdas makes no mention whatsoever at all of Homosexuality or anything related to the entire LGBT population within the family of Man.

Ruhiyyih Khanum and the Hands conflated the Aqdas law against Pederasty with Homosexuality for personal reasons and absolutely nothing more.

All laws regarding marriage among Baha’i’s are for the protection of the children who can come from the union of a man and a woman to help assure that they’ll have a stable, loving home to be safely and successfully reared within. There are no laws in the actual, true Baha’i Aqdas regarding Homosexuality.

One’s sexual identification is not a matter of law. It is not an issue for the state and furthermore it is not an issue at all. It is a private, personal matter in which the state, in this case the Baha’i Administration, has absolutely no jurisdiction. Nor is one’s sexual identification a spiritual matter, it is a biological (scientific) matter.

The violators of Baha’u’llah’s Covenant have chosen to use letters, some of which are of suspicious origin, yet attributed to Shoghi Effendi, as justification for their draconian attitudes toward the entire LGBT population. Back when these letters were allegedly written by Shoghi Effendi it was thought that Homosexuality was a mental illness as defined in the DSM, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of mental disorders. This incorrect attribution has at its root a false Christian Theology the psychology of which I will not get into in this letter as it would be tangential and voluminous but it must also be said that this false Christian Theology and that of “original sin” have no place within the Bible as well.

Suffice it to say that none of what is used to permit any discrimination on any level up to the atrocities in such places as Uganda and others against any among the LGBT population has any origin or place within the Revelation of Baha’u’llah or the actual, true Baha’i Aqdas.

Here is what Shoghi Effendi stated about reliance upon him for guidance in matters of science:

“The infallibility of the Guardian [Shoghi Effendi] is confined to matters which are strictly related to the Cause and interpretation of the teachings; he [Shoghi Effendi] is not an infallible authority on other subjects, such as economics, science, etc.” (Shoghi Effendi, 17 Oct. 1944)

As stated earlier;

The 26 volumes that will form the Aqdas include the 12 Basic Baha’i Principles – http://uhj.net/bahaiprinciples/bahai-12-principles.html – These form the CORE PRINCIPLES of the Aqdas, they are upheld by the current Guardian, and they are not to be violated.

In the matter of sexual orientation/identification of the LGBT population within the global family of Man, there can be no prejudicial laws or discriminatory practices within the Baha’i Community worldwide. This is in accordance with the 7th Basic Baha’i Principle – http://uhj.net/bahaiprinciples/remove-prejudice.html – upheld in the true Baha’i Aqdas, which requires the elimination of all forms of prejudice. Any prejudicial or discriminatory laws, acts or practices in this or any other regard are in direct violation of the Baha’i Aqdas.

The Fundamentalist Baha’i’s, Firm in the Covenant, are those who adhere to the 12 Basic (Fundamental) Baha’i Principles which are upheld one and all within the Baha’i Aqdas as found throughout the writings of Baha’u’llah and made increasingly clear and explicit by the explanations and commentaries of Abdu’l-Baha’.

I hope that you will find this a satisfactory explanation in response to your inquiry and it is my hope that you will feel free to share this document with all.

Yours in service to God through service to humanity,

KPS,
Knight Of Baha’u’llah

Date: May 07, 2015 03:19AM

Dear Brody,

Being a close friend of Mr. Remey's grandson I can provide you with some insight as to why he abandoned his Remium project. I'll write more on this after I've had a good night's sleep.

It's good to see you're still at it.

Thank you,

Bill B.

Posted by: Bababooey ()
Date: August 23, 2015 09:42PM

BUMP WTF

Posted by: Bababooey tooey ()
Date: August 23, 2015 10:32PM

Bump the bump, because it's been an hour. We need this shit figured out NOW.

Posted by: fullofit ()
Date: August 23, 2015 11:48PM

Bill Blackburn Wrote:
> Dear Brody,
>
> Being a close friend of Mr. Remey's grandson I can
> provide you with some insight as to why he
> abandoned his Remium project. I'll write more on
> this after I've had a good night's sleep.
>
> It's good to see you're still at it.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bill B.

Unless a PM is involved, that's either laziness or lazy trolling.

Posted by: vbvlv ()
Date: September 06, 2015 06:18PM

crypts are scary

Posted by: Walter hill ()
Date: October 15, 2015 12:44PM

Wow cool site, wish I'd brought a camera the many times I went there back in the late 70s. I went to Jefferson hs (class of 77) and we used to go there just about every weekend until the "heat" got too hot. I remember one night when there were about 20 to 25 people there and some drunk guy fell off the wall and we had to call an ambulance, the police came and it was heavily paroled after that incident.anyone remember the abandoned gas station across route one? We used to park our cars there.

Date: October 24, 2015 01:17AM

Hey sorry it's been so long but life has a way of forcing one to redirect their attention at times.

Anyway, after this passage of time and returning here it occurs to me that folks here wouldn't much like what I have to say about why he gave up on the Remium.

Besides, especially at this time surrounding "all-hallows eve", it's best to let your imaginations run amok for a while ;)

Happy Halloween.

Bill B.

Posted by: Freddd ()
Date: October 24, 2015 01:22AM

Boooo! What a tease.

Posted by: hDE49 ()
Date: October 24, 2015 07:41PM

Intersting read about some local history that many may not have known much about.

I grew up in Arlington, but have traveled Fairfax for years and have lived here now for quite a while and I had read comments about the Crypts/Tombs etc here on FFX many times, however, did not understand or know what anyone was talking about.

Really a neighborhood/lower regional thing that people were aware of.

Although this facility and the person that built it may have seemed a bit strange, at the end of the day it seemed that Mr. Remey had his reasons and he had good contacts for the sculptures and other craft work for the facility.

Really, really sad at the end of the day all of this was pretty much destroyed by a bunch of kids that did not understand the reason or history behind this facility. It turned out to be some sort of drunken and drug laden amusement part for people to ultimately vandalize and destroy.

This being said, Mr. Remey did not have the forethought to maintain and protect the facility and this is probably what lead to its ultimate demise.

Again, whether or not you agree with Mr. Remey's religious beliefs, affiliations or ideas, this was one mans idea and dream that he ultimately built but ignorance and stupid teenage behavior at the end of the day really ruined it for the family and community.

Seems that if the timing would have been different and someone was a real overseer this facility might even still be standing today and could have been one of very few private burial facilities of its kind in the country.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: October 24, 2015 08:11PM

I grew up in Arlington and heard of others going to the crypts and went there with them once. I don’t remember too much, just the entrance but don’t remember going in. I probably was too scared and opted out.

Bill, do tell. Let’s hear it. Come on.

Posted by: MarkC ()
Date: October 25, 2015 09:58PM

Here are some pictures from several trips we made to the Remey Crypt in the late 70's. Luckily, we brought a 35mm camera with a good flash so the pictures are very clear. This is the entrance to the crypt. You had to climb up and over the door and then drop about 6 feet into the main room. The first thing you saw was the staue with the missing head.
Attachments:
crypt1.jpg

Date: October 25, 2015 10:05PM

On this late-night visit, a few guys with gas masks went in about 30 minutes before we brought some girls who had never been there before. The guys hid in the back recesses and gave the girls a scare they will never forget.
Attachments:
crypt2.jpg

Date: October 25, 2015 10:12PM

Statue that was in the main room. The elaborate sculptures and artwork were damaged beyond repair. I felt bad at the time that someone's family history was defaced and destroyed. It was clear that a ton of money had been spent on the construction.
Attachments:
crypt3.jpg

Date: October 25, 2015 10:16PM

Group of us kids from the 70's. The youngest was probably 10 or so at the time; pretty brave to go into such a scary place.
Attachments:
crypt4.jpg

Date: October 25, 2015 10:18PM

Another one of the defaced statues.Sad that all that amazing artwork is buried under tons of dirt.
Attachments:
crypt5.jpg

Date: October 25, 2015 10:22PM

The Crypt was one of those places you never forget. Doubt if anything of that scale will ever be around for today's kids to explore and be scared out of their minds.
Attachments:
crypt6.jpg

Date: October 25, 2015 10:27PM

You can tell from this picture how large the main room was. The ceilings were probably 20 feet high. The room led back to 2 small adjoining recesses that had elaborate carvings of American historical events that the Remey family had participated in. There was a cinderblock wall that was several years old that had been constructed to block off the end of the hallway. Someone had knocked out one of the blocks and there was dirt behind it so no one tried burrowing deeper. Never saw any evidence of any other levels.
Attachments:
crypt7.jpg

Posted by: thanks ()
Date: October 26, 2015 01:22AM

Awesome pictures! Thanks for posting them!

Posted by: HY9jt ()
Date: October 26, 2015 06:26AM

Great addition to the story with more pictures.

Seems like at the end of the day the "explorers" of the day will most likely have the best pictorial history of the site.

Keep the pictures coming, I know that many of the locals may have a pictures stashed somewhere in their belongings.

Totally agree that it is very sad what happened the site. Seems that Pohick Church may be to blame if in fact they had been entrusted "assuming paid" to maintain and secure the site. I guess they just assumed that they would not need to do anything for the site.

Posted by: Ironical ()
Date: October 26, 2015 12:31PM

What a shame, destroyed by ignorant kids, then covered up by ignorant god worshipers of the Pohick church.

Posted by: otherview ()
Date: October 26, 2015 06:08PM

From the church's point of view, I don't believe that ignorance is the right word. It is more neglect and wanting to get rid of it. They had to pay money and exert effort to secure it against all kinds of persistent human vermin. They had to pay to bury it. The remeum didn't provide any benefit to the church. It was only a drain on resources. It had no value.

Posted by: cA CHING ()
Date: October 26, 2015 07:50PM

Dig it up and charge a small fee to tour the ruins. This could be a windfall for that historic church that was defaced by Yankee scumbags, New Yorkers carved their gang signs on the stone doorframe.

Date: October 26, 2015 09:49PM

Here's another picture showing how you had to enter through the front gate. I can remember sitting in one of the recesses and being struck by how quiet and almost peaceful it felt in there. Of course your mind played games with you and you were waiting for some eerie presence to make itself known. The most surreal vision was one cold, moonlit night when we snuck through the woods and were in the courtyard outside the entrance. The towering obelisk and surrounding ruins were something out of a post-apocalyptical dream.
Attachments:
crypt8.jpg

Posted by: Class of 68 ()
Date: October 26, 2015 10:13PM

Those are probably the best pictures that exist of the inside of the place. Good job. We were there a lot but never took any pictures. Unlike today, people didn't have cameras with them all the time like they do now. Still doesn't really do justice to the atmosphere of place. One of those things where you really just had to be there to appreciate it.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: October 26, 2015 10:33PM

Wow! That is so cool.

Posted by: ku3LC ()
Date: October 26, 2015 11:11PM

otherview Wrote:
> From the church's point of view, I don't believe
> that ignorance is the right word. It is more
> neglect and wanting to get rid of it. They had to
> pay money and exert effort to secure it against
> all kinds of persistent human vermin. They had to
> pay to bury it. The remeum didn't provide any
> benefit to the church. It was only a drain on
> resources. It had no value.

So does anyone know if Remey put a trust together to protect and maintain the facility? I cannot believe that someone that would spend the money and build something like this would think no maintenance or security would be required for the site.

I would have at least put 2 layers of fencing with barbed wire around the place, this would have been cheap compared to what was invested in the building of the facility. They could have put dogs in the main portion of the crypt and maybe in the inner fence buffer.

Grass will grow, trees will fall.

I bet that Pohick Church either pocketed the money and/or did not pass along what the agreement was to protect and maintain the facility.

Unfortunately anyone that originally worked on the facility is probably long dead and gone so there is only history from the kids that visited the place.

Posted by: EDDEW ()
Date: October 26, 2015 11:16PM

ku3LC Wrote:
>
> So does anyone know if Remey put a trust together
> to protect and maintain the facility? I cannot
> believe that someone that would spend the money
> and build something like this would think no
> maintenance or security would be required for the
> site.
>
> I would have at least put 2 layers of fencing with
> barbed wire around the place, this would have been
> cheap compared to what was invested in the
> building of the facility. They could have put dogs
> in the main portion of the crypt and maybe in the
> inner fence buffer.
>
> Grass will grow, trees will fall.
>
> I bet that Pohick Church either pocketed the money
> and/or did not pass along what the agreement was
> to protect and maintain the facility.
>
> Unfortunately anyone that originally worked on the
> facility is probably long dead and gone so there
> is only history from the kids that visited the
> place.

He did but he was near broke by the end and the fund already was running in the red by ~1960. Covered somewhere earlier in the thread.

Date: October 27, 2015 01:29AM

WASHINGTON

October 27, 2015

Dear MarkC,

Excellent photographs. those really are unique. I'd like permission to use them if possible, my email is after my signature below.

To 'ku3LC' and 'otherview'. There was no trust sadly. In a deposition he gave in the mid 1960's during the Federal Lawsuit against him by the Pohick Church vestry and administrators, Remey indicated that he had spent upwards of $2M in construction and other costs.

By the time he died in 1974, he was pretty much penniless. In fact he was buried in an unmarked grave in Florence, Italy, until his adopted son was able to raise enough money to have a proper headstone memorial installed.

When Admiral Wadleigh took charge of essentially shutting the Remeum down per his brother-in-law's (Remey) wishes, the money the Admiral spent was his own funds.

As far as the Pohick Church was concerned. It was the millstone around their collective necks and was a huge nuisance. They wanted the permanent lease broken and they wanted to regain the property and be done with. In the end, they were forced into having Shirley Contracting Corporation bury the thing.

The religious aspects are a small part of the larger story in reference to the section above regarding the Baha'i and Remey's role. But, in no small way Remey did intend for the Remeum to become a focal point, but I suspect he never thought that it would end up being the urban legend and public nuisance it did.

Best Regards,

Brody Levesque
theroadtraveler@gmail.com
(202) 556-0877

Posted by: buMeD ()
Date: October 27, 2015 02:14AM

Brody Levesque Wrote:
>
> To 'ku3LC' and 'otherview'. There was no trust
> sadly. In a deposition he gave in the mid 1960's
> during the Federal Lawsuit against him by the
> Pohick Church vestry and administrators, Remey
> indicated that he had spent upwards of $2M in
> construction and other costs.
>

From your earlier post on page 5:

Through a series of legal maneuvering, the case found its way into Federal Court District Court, culminating in the final agreement nearly 8 years later which led to Remey's vacating the property and receding it back to the Truro Parish/ Pohick.
It should be noted also that the trust fund set aside by Remey to defray security costs, maintenance considerations, and expenses incurred by Truro Parish/Pohick insofar as the Remeum was concerned had dwindled to a negative by 1960 and actually was running a deficit.

Date: October 27, 2015 04:13PM

WASHINGTON

October 27, 2015

Dear buMeD,

At the point I was referring to in the 1960's there was no trust as the monies were exhausted so although its I guess a matter of semantics. I should have been more clear. My apologies.

The difficult part has been trying to find any kind of record in terms of capital outlay. The other part of this is I question that if in the 1950's Remey was paying the Pohick Church out of the trust, and since I cannot gain access to those records, (the Church has refused access) I'm wondering how much the monthly outlay was for routine landscaping and grounds keeping.

There are pictures of the courtyard for example that show beautifully landscaped flower beds and neatly trimmed bushes and hedges alongside the brick work and walls.

I have court filings that use the $2M figure, but I'd love to come across the other records, some of which the church may still have.

Best Regards,

Brody Levesque

Posted by: UCnjp ()
Date: October 29, 2015 08:41PM

This place must have been like Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom or some sort of Indiana Jones type exploration for kids in NOVA. I am sure it was quite the fun, scary and mysterious place to go and trespass in and to make it out without much incident.

Just such a shame so much destruction and damage occurred.

Posted by: Goober ()
Date: October 29, 2015 08:51PM

Yankee gangs defaced that church.

Date: October 29, 2015 11:02PM

I never saw any destruction of the interior on my adventures to the crypt. It was always kids just exploring and hanging out. I doubt the desecration would have occurred if there was any kind of security.
Attachments:
crypt9.jpg

Posted by: mCpTy ()
Date: October 30, 2015 07:23AM

Keep the pictures coming.

These seem to be the best documented history of the site.

Posted by: Hellboundsteel ()
Date: November 05, 2015 09:16PM

Anyone remember the 5 point star that was on the outer wall? i have one I removed in 72 when I was there will get a pic and add it for all to see.

Posted by: KryptKeeper ()
Date: November 21, 2015 10:29PM

This must be a later picture as the large statue when you enter is on the ground. We were frequent visitors in 1978-79 and the statue was still intact then.
Attachments:
crypt10.jpg

Posted by: mviker ()
Date: November 28, 2015 04:07PM

Walt...

Were you there the Halloween your brother hid in the back with a chainsaw that had no chain? We hid in one of the back chambers and scared anyone that came in. we'd wait until they climbed down inside, then Richard would fire up that chainsaw and scare the crap outta them. The cops eventually came and got a good laugh with the chainsaw prank and told us to get the hell outta there. Not sure if you were in on that one or not, but I know we went there at least once out of a bunch of times that I went back in the day.

Had some damn fine times there. Inside and out. The place was pretty much already torn up by the time we discovered it, but impressive none-the-less. It sure would have been cool to find a way into the rest of the place as that was one of the big draws to go. Everyone wanted to be the one to discover the rest of it's legendary lost chambers, but never did. Looks like we were all very close. Just didn't know it. Ahhhh.... Good times. Glad to see you're still kickin'!

Kevin H.

Posted by: Lara Croft ()
Date: January 28, 2016 05:31PM

Are there any updates? This is probably one of the most interesting threads on here...

Posted by: Erin Spaddle ()
Date: January 29, 2016 09:55PM

Read it all, was wondering if there was any chance an independent film could be shot there, and if there is any chance of entering the tombs

Posted by: Shhhhhh ()
Date: January 29, 2016 10:52PM

Troll

Posted by: Alexander Smith ()
Date: February 16, 2016 04:17AM

MarkC, those are extremely interesting pictures, thank you. If you have anymore stashed, please do history a favor and upload. Really, they should belong to public domain.

Thanks again.

Posted by: the more you know ()
Date: February 16, 2016 05:52AM

The Remey Family Mausoleum, called “The Remeum” by its builder, was located on just over five acres of land about one-half mile southwest of Pohick Church (q.v.), and east of Richmond Highway (Route 1). The mausoleum was the dream, and ultimate disappointment, of Charles Mason Remey who contracted with Pohick Church in 1937 for the rights to build a family memorial on the church grounds, perhaps choosing the location because of its connection to his ancestor, George Mason, according to The Death of a Mausoleum, by Shahrzad Shareghi and Annie S. Wang.

Charles Mason Remey was born in Burlington, Iowa on 15 May 1874, the eldest son of Rear Admiral George Collier Remey, U.S. Navy, and Mary Josephine Mason, according to autobiographical information Charles Remey sent to a friend and which is now on file in the Virginia Room, Fairfax City Regional Library. He studied widely in the late nineteenth century and became an instructor of descriptive geometry and an assistant professor of architecture at George Washington University from 1904 to 1908, and then toured the world studying Oriental architecture. While studying in Paris at the turn of the century, Remey became interested in the Baha’i World Faith and was chosen by the Head of the Faith in 1920 to design Baha’i temples in places such as Mount Carmel, Israel, Teheran, Iran, Kampala, Africa and Sydney, Australia.

According to the autobiographical sketch, Charles Remey married Mrs. Gertrude Heim Klemm in Paris on 17 July 1931. (Note that Gertrude Heim Remey’s gravestone gives the date of marriage as the eleventh of July.) Mrs. Remey died in Washington, D.C. on 5 August 1932, according to her husband in his sketch.

Construction of the Remey mausoleum began in 1939, according to an article by Thomas Love about the site in the 9 April 1973 issue of the Washington Evening Star and Daily News. Charles Remey’s memorial to his family and its contributions to the country was planned as a “magnificent complex of walled courtyards, underground chambers with soaring vaulted ceilings, marble reliefs and statues, carved pillars, chapels and burial vaults,” according to the Star. Remey devoted most of his modest fortune and many years of his life to build this grand edifice which was four times the size of Pohick Church when completed, according to The Death of a Mausoleum. The Star article reports that over two million bricks were used to construct the mausoleum.

The Star article describes panels of reliefs by Washington sculptor Felix de Weldon (known for the Iwo Jima Memorial near Arlington National Cemetery) which dramatized historic events in which the Remey family participated, “from the landing of the Mayflower to the sinking of the USS Yorktown.” A pair of “massive sleeping lions” by de Weldon guarded the entrance to the mausoleum. Inside the memorial were life-size statues depicting “Faith,” “Charity,” and a copy of Michaelangelo’s “Bruges Madonna.” Another series of reliefs illustrated the lives of Saint Peter, Saint Paul and Saint Stephen.

Remey commissioned life-size statues of his parents and a reclining figure of his wife. A huge marble sarcophagus carved in Lisbon was brought to the mausoleum for Charles Remey’s final resting place. The sarcophagus had an inner oak coffin with beautiful wooden carvings from Oberammergau, Germany. His wife’s body lay in a simple white marble sarcophagus next to his. Remey transported the bodies of fifteen other relatives, most from Iowa, according to the Star, and enshrined them in The Remeum.

Remey landscaped the grounds around the memorial, the Star reported, and provided water for the plantings and electricity to light the underground areas of the memorial. The Death of a Mausoleum says that he established a trust account with Pohick Church for the maintenance and security of the memorial.

Problems with the property began in the 1950s. The 27 March 1956 issue of the Evening Star describes the vandalism of the “unfinished Remey family memorial” by eleven Mount Vernon High School boys who used a steel bar, four axes and a pick to hack their way into The Remeum. Vandalism continued unabated over the next several years. The 9 April 1973 Star article described the desecration by “hundreds of vandals who have stolen, broken, defaced and burned their way through the complex over the years.”

The article describes the destruction in detail:

Rather than being the thing of beauty as it was designed, the mausoleum now resembles a dump. Fragments of smashed marble reliefs and statues litter the floors, along with beer cans, whiskey bottles and old candles. Wooden coffins and chests have been broken to bits and their charred remnants scattered....

Thousands of tiny glass fragments designed to form mosaics have been poured into the ground. Statues too large to steal or smash have been chipped and painted or blackened with soot from candles and torches.

Attempts to stop vandals from entering the mausoleum have been unsuccessful. Massive iron gates and heavy wooden doors have been cut, bent, ripped off their hinges and torn down. The entrance to the interior was blocked with a wall three-bricks thick in which a hole large enough for entry has been opened.

What was planned to serve as a place of worship and remembrance is now the scene of nocturnal beer busts, drug parties, high school initiations and exploring expeditions....

An unknown number of urns containing the ashes of cremated bodies still lie amidst the trash in the mausoleum. One near the door has a plate which simply says “ashes of K. D. K.” Relatives believe that this may be Mrs. Remey’s first husband. An urn bearing the name of “Charles Estherbrook” lies open and empty.

By 1958, Pohick Vestry expressed concern about the vandalism and desecration taking place so near their historic site. The Remeum was large and imposing, but in an area remote enough that the church and local authorities were unable to provide security. In 1962, the Vestry refused to grant permission for further expansion, according to the 1973 Star article. Negotiations were soon underway to break the 1937 contract. An agreement was reached in 1968 in which the property reverted to Pohick Church. Remey was given five years to remove anything of value from the mausoleum. Admiral Watley, Remey’s brother-in-law, transferred the remains of fifteen family members to Pompey, New York. At the time of the 1973 article, plans were underway to reinter Gertrude Remey in Pohick Cemetery. The grave marker over her grave there appears to be a marble plaque from the Remeum. After her removal, the Remeum was demolished.

Charles Mason Remey was living in Florence, Italy by 1966. He died there on 4 February 1974, aged 99 years. In a final insult, his obituary in the 24 February 1974 issue of the Washington Star gives his name as George Mason Remey. The obituary does not reveal where Charles Mason Remey was buried.

Posted by: Tricia Talbert ()
Date: February 23, 2016 11:12PM

I loved going there in the late 70's to early 80's. I'm so excited to see these great pictures… I never thought about taking a camera so I love that they are posted here.

I'd love to go back and see if we could get in. I remember that directly back was a cinderblock wall that led to another portion but I have no idea what is back there.

Posted by: Tricia Talbert ()
Date: February 24, 2016 12:12AM

Where was this picture taken?

Date: March 03, 2016 11:06PM

WASHINGTON

March 3rd, 2016

Dear Folks,

I have finished & published my first book, which I have provided a link [below] to download the pdf if any of you would care to read it.

I am now working on the book that was inspired by this thread. The outline is 425 pages give or take plus another 15 in exhibits and photographs.

I'd like to thank all of you who contributed your time in interviews and e-mails and provided data or information that added to the knowledge base for this unique story.

I am hoping to have this book finished and edited by mid 2017 and as I have promised, I'll release excerpts here in this thread on the FFX Underground.

Without a doubt, this has got to be one of the more interesting stories that I have ever run across in the 35 + years that I have been a journalist.

It has been quite an experience and I look forward to finally being able to tell this story.

Warmest Regards,

Brody Levesque
theroadtraveler@gmail.com

Book Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlcmo1991qqabjy/Public%20Downloadable%20Version%20-%20The%20Sunshine%20Special%2C%20FDR%27s%201939%20Lincoln%20K-Series%20Presidential%20Limousine%2C%20By%20Brody%20Levesque.pdf?dl=0

Posted by: knFJT ()
Date: March 04, 2016 08:08AM

knFJT

Posted by: Daffy DUCK ()
Date: March 04, 2016 12:08PM

Tricia Talbert Wrote:
> I'd love to go back and see if we could get in.

You'll need a backhoe to get in. You would be prosecuted for doing this on private property. You would end up disappointed, covered in ticks and in jail and wouldn't get in.

God knows what lives in the empty crypts now. It is probably like the Indiana jones thing where snakes are everywhere.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: March 04, 2016 02:13PM

Best thread ever

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Posted by: Lara Croft ()
Date: March 04, 2016 04:49PM

Brody Levesque Wrote:
> WASHINGTON
>
> March 3rd, 2016
>
> Dear Folks,
>
> I have finished & published my first book, which I
> have provided a link [below] to download the pdf
> if any of you would care to read it.
>
> I am now working on the book that was inspired by
> this thread. The outline is 425 pages give or take
> plus another 15 in exhibits and photographs.
>
> I'd like to thank all of you who contributed your
> time in interviews and e-mails and provided data
> or information that added to the knowledge base
> for this unique story.
>
> I am hoping to have this book finished and edited
> by mid 2017 and as I have promised, I'll release
> excerpts here in this thread on the FFX
> Underground.
>
> Without a doubt, this has got to be one of the
> more interesting stories that I have ever run
> across in the 35 + years that I have been a
> journalist.
>
> It has been quite an experience and I look forward
> to finally being able to tell this story.
>
> Warmest Regards,
>
>
> Brody Levesque
> theroadtraveler@gmail.com
>
> Book Link:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlcmo1991qqabjy/Public%2
> 0Downloadable%20Version%20-%20The%20Sunshine%20Spe
> cial%2C%20FDR%27s%201939%20Lincoln%20K-Series%20Pr
> esidential%20Limousine%2C%20By%20Brody%20Levesque.
> pdf?dl=0

It is great to hear that the book is coming together! I spent an entire day reading through this thread back in October and have since wondered what happened to it.

Looking forward to reading the book!

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: March 04, 2016 04:53PM

Congratulations on your new book! I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to the one you write about the Remey Tomb/ Crypts. The only reason I ever come back to this troll infested website is for updates and more info on this!

Posted by: Bump It Up! ()
Date: March 20, 2016 10:52AM

BUMP IT UP!!!!!

Posted by: The media ()
Date: April 29, 2016 08:05PM

Theres been a lot of media attention on Fairfax Underground today so Im just bumping this excellent thread so some new eyes can see it. Sorry if this isn't allowed.

Posted by: Mohammed Ali DED ()
Date: June 04, 2016 10:24AM

Bump bump bump bump bump

Something something racist

Something something troll

Something something Pagans

Something something eesh

Posted by: eHCXu ()
Date: June 04, 2016 01:44PM

eHCXu

Posted by: Wendy Dalberto ()
Date: June 05, 2016 12:34AM

Around that same timeframe (early 80's), I remember climbing across a flat and very narrow slab of rock to jump down into a crypt at the church. There was either one or two stone burieal container. The opening to crawl over the Rock and drop down into the inside of the crypt was super narrow. You had to slither across the rock to get in between. Is this the Remey crypt that you're talking about? I've always wondered who was in the stone caskets and now I'm looking at it online and found your post. I went to Hayfield and graduated in '83.

Posted by: CJR ()
Date: June 18, 2016 02:36AM

Bump

Date: June 23, 2016 03:02PM

I went to Jefferson High School graduated 1975 we use to go the crypt on Friday and Saturdays then to the power lines for a bond fire. One time I took 13 girls in my pick up, we were all drinking Bones Farm Strawberry wine. We used to get up on the wall and lower everyone off this huge lions head sculpture. We would sneak past the caretakers house and dogs would start barking what a rush. Inside there where old rooms, old stone like caskets with broken lids, it was the rush of a lifetime went there from 73 to 78 probable. We never destroyed anything just partied. The whole place was a wreck by then-but dam was it fun as hell and scary. I remember Patty Teegarden was so drunk that night with all the girls I had all she could say is no more dogs. :) Great times kids now a days will never know.

Posted by: UHw3k ()
Date: June 24, 2016 07:39AM

Christopher Harmon Wrote:
> I went to Jefferson High School graduated 1975 we
> use to go the crypt on Friday and Saturdays then
> to the power lines for a bond fire. One time I
> took 13 girls in my pick up, we were all drinking
> Bones Farm Strawberry wine. We used to get up on
> the wall and lower everyone off this huge lions
> head sculpture. We would sneak past the caretakers
> house and dogs would start barking what a rush.
> Inside there where old rooms, old stone like
> caskets with broken lids, it was the rush of a
> lifetime went there from 73 to 78 probable. We
> never destroyed anything just partied. The whole
> place was a wreck by then-but dam was it fun as
> hell and scary. I remember Patty Teegarden was so
> drunk that night with all the girls I had all she
> could say is no more dogs. :) Great times kids now
> a days will never know.

Your grasp of the English language is atrocious. You must have been an exchange student.

Posted by: 4g9fc ()
Date: September 08, 2016 11:46AM

bump

Posted by: stephen ()
Date: September 08, 2016 08:59PM

1975, Boone's farm, power lines and hard partying. I grew up in another state and it brings a tear to my eye to hear you mention the good life. Did you also climb fences at night to swim ?

Posted by: Jefferstonian ()
Date: September 08, 2016 09:18PM

Jumped a couple fences, mostly swam in local lakes. My parents owned a boat at a marina. I didn't need a key to start that boat, or my friends parent's boats. The Potomac Was big fun, couple of waterski jumps back in the Fun days.

Posted by: Google is our friend ()
Date: September 21, 2016 10:40AM

It seems Mr. Remey and his wife are buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/gcremey.htm

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: September 21, 2016 06:17PM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2016 09:46AM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Steve Seman ()
Date: October 03, 2016 11:24AM

chuckhoffmann- Actually, Charles is buried here...

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=112797922

Posted by: Orb Hunter ()
Date: February 04, 2017 07:30PM

Munkey_D Wrote:
> If you find the entrance, I have NVG I would like
> to to try out =]

The amount of Sprit Orbs in the pic is incredible - Paranormal Activity for sure.

Posted by: 9t6ym ()
Date: February 09, 2017 03:42PM

nvg / night vision?? if a nother entrance is found you don't want nvg. you want powerfull led light. maybe play w/ thermal. orbs could be just old pics? dust. Paranormal maybe? its been a long time.

Posted by: Kibbles ()
Date: February 10, 2017 11:13AM

I say to HELL with these pohick church PUNKS! I say RETURN THE GROUNDS TO THE PEOPLE and give us access. I'm tired of these ivory tower theocrats telling us we cant dig up history. Lets mobilize some tractors and dozers and get to work! Yeeeeeaaaaaah!

Posted by: Mike Spurlock ()
Date: March 01, 2017 04:31PM

No need to bother talking to the government types.
The county gave a developer permission to build there, and it's all gone.
Check the satellite maps.

Posted by: wmGKD ()
Date: March 04, 2017 11:42AM

Mike Spurlock Wrote:
> No need to bother talking to the government
> types.
> The county gave a developer permission to build
> there, and it's all gone.
> Check the satellite maps.

Wrong. The crypts are in the woods behind the development.

Posted by: Remey Family ()
Date: March 04, 2017 12:25PM

Weren't they one of the owners of the Arthur Treacher's over in Fairfax Circle? Right up from Kamp Washington?

I think they had a stake in the 3 Chef's over in Annandale, too.

Pages: Previous1234567891011AllNext
Current Page: 9 of 11

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.