HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567891011AllNext
Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: Remey Tomb/Crypt
Posted by: blake lane 73 ()
Date: February 07, 2012 11:02PM

Stephen,did you get inside before concreting?

Stephen,did you get inside before concreting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stephen ()
Date: February 08, 2012 02:28PM

No,never got in there, Park police were always checking the place. I see a sign on FF parkway for an ex nuke sight.

Date: February 08, 2012 03:24PM

Attention all, I created a thread for NIKE missle base info.Just Do IT. We should keep this for Remy Crypt info allthough infiltration to both and others seems to appeal to the same personality type.

Posted by: richard ()
Date: February 23, 2012 05:55PM

I made this overlay using transparancy on a couple of the arials from the 60's and to find the crypt location, then aligned that to the roads on the 2010 map. This is what I cam up with, not exactly where the new development is.
Attachments:
overlay.jpg

Posted by: Kamel Kourt ()
Date: February 23, 2012 08:16PM

Does anyone remember the small motel across the street? The "Kamel Kourt", I think it was called? When did it close, and when did it get ripped down?

Date: February 24, 2012 03:08PM

Richard, nice piece of work , but I remember the site being slightly south of the location shown . Recall passing Stumpy's house and a greater distance to the Crypts from his house. See my posts on this and other Remy threads . Also NIKE missile thread. The discrepancy could be associated with the widening of Rt. 1 and the re-alignment of the Telegraph road intersection. Would love to get a ground penetrating radar data sweep of this site today . It's a legitamate part of FFXCO history. To quote Joe Strummer "The future is unwritten."
Brody, you still monitoring this channel?

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: February 24, 2012 03:28PM

blake,

I think he's pretty close to right on, the part that you are seeing up near Stumpy's would be underground, if it was ever built. I think the cinder block wall that we've heard about being used to black access to the farther reaches is actually where the red line runs through the S in Stumpy's.

Posted by: Duck N Cover ()
Date: February 25, 2012 04:00PM

Were the red line runs thru the S in Stumpys is I believe the Narthex entrance. Were the inner atrium (outside) transitioned to the first underground chamber.

Looking at the 1958 picture, the first level underground is really more of an almost surface level structure with dirt covering it in the shape of a small mound. The lower three levels are definitely underground.

I wonder if the structure sustained any damage in the 5.8 August earthquake since it is most likely unreinforced or marginally reinforned concrete overlayed with brick. Due to the steel needed for the war effort, I wonder how much reinforcing steel is in the underground structure.

Of the supposed 2 million bricks used, how many were used in the outside, the walls, towers and inner atrium structure.

Generally, most underground structures ride out earthquakes better than the above ground structures. Only when we can see the blueprints can we get a better idea of the construction materials, thickness, ect.

Somewhere out there are photos, unfortunatly most people would'nt know what it was that they were looking at. Something their Great Grandfather or Grandfather took years ago. The construction workers or supervisors, military or civilian aviators, newspaper story.

Brody, any word on the digitalization......

Date: March 03, 2012 03:13PM

Used the scale from google maps, overlayed the original to fit the scale. i don't know how to triangulate a location so i did it linearly. all the numbers are aproximate to the best i could guess.
Attachments:
super update.jpg

Date: March 03, 2012 03:16PM

all the measurements are from the obelisk

Posted by: Lee ()
Date: March 04, 2012 11:44PM

Want to see real pics of the crypts from what it looked like when I went there?
Go to Facebook, enter Annandale, VA. in search and click on photos.

Posted by: Carl O ()
Date: March 22, 2012 10:00PM

Any news here on the blue prints?

Posted by: Hayfield Farm Gun Club ()
Date: March 22, 2012 10:30PM

Richard,

Can you explain the "WTF" indicated on your photo? I don't see what feature in the photo has you confused?.

Posted by: NovaTrucker ()
Date: March 23, 2012 08:52PM

Lee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Want to see real pics of the crypts from what it
> looked like when I went there?
> Go to Facebook, enter Annandale, VA. in search and
> click on photos.

Lee, i'm not finding this....there is no option for photos

Date: March 24, 2012 01:31PM

There are quite a few pics on this site from inside and at ground level
posted on this site. If interested, you can read my posts here describing my visits and associates from the mid 70s to mid 80s. Also see NIKE missile site thread for more adventures from this era. Brody, do you still monitor this thread? Whats going on with digital recreation of inside the Remeum from the original blueprints?

Posted by: Brody Levesque ()
Date: March 24, 2012 05:17PM

WASHINGTON

March 24th, 2012

Dear Blake Lane 73,

Due to my current position as Washington bureau chief for a magazine, sadly I have been swamped with the day to day grind. That said, I do in fact monitor this thread and in answer to your question, as the digitisation of the blue-prints is being accomplished 'pro bono' coupled with the fact that the prints were in fair condition to start with, I have not pushed the New York architectural firm in regards to 'speeding' the process along.

Also, I am currently still writing and researching Remey's early years prior to the Remeum up to the tragic death of his wife in 1932- squeezed in between work and other commitments.

I do need to point out that I am still collecting interviews/stories from the folk who were in attendance at the Remeum over the years during the many 'events' that took place.

An early follower of Remey's has contacted and forwarded copies of letters written in the 1930's and 40's discussing the construction which has been enlightening.

I just ask that folks bear with me as this is the 'slowest' part of gathering and writing a story.

Warmest Regards,

Brody Levesque

Posted by: A Resident ()
Date: March 25, 2012 04:57PM

NovaTrucker Wrote:
> Lee Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Want to see real pics of the crypts from what
> it
> > looked like when I went there?
> > Go to Facebook, enter Annandale, VA. in search
> and
> > click on photos.
>
>
> Lee, i'm not finding this....there is no option
> for photos

From Facebook...Annandale, VA...

Posted by: Boo ()
Date: March 27, 2012 12:05AM

That Annandale blog got those pictures from HERE!

lol

Posted by: FrankieJ ()
Date: April 24, 2012 04:46AM

Wow, this forum is a wealth of things that I haven't thought about forever. lol Growing up around here in the late-60s early-70s, we were regular visitors to "The Crypts" and some of the local adventure landmarks mentioned in other threads.

Not much to add beyond what others here probably have already said. When we first started going, I'd guess around 1970-ish, there already were at least some minimal attempts to block the entrance where everyone climbed through. The iron bars still were across the hole but they'd been bent apart just wide enough that you could slip through. Most of the statues and bas relief work inside was already busted up to some degree at that point, heads knocked off, etc., but some remained intact. I remember the statue and the large vault just inside the entrance as shown in the pictures. In the back room to the left as you entered were other several others one of which I seem to remember having glass sides to it. Don't recall now what was to the right. Nothing particularly memorable I guess.

More impressive to me than the inside was the courtyard and other grounds all of which were in pretty good shape at that time. As others have mentioned the lions and the big iron gates as well as other statues were very impressive. Particularly so at night with nothing but the moonlight and you're zonked out of your mind at the time. lol It's a shame if none of that was salvaged. Even back then I could appreciate that it was not "hack" work and very obviously was done at great expense by some real craftsmen.

Probably the strangest thing that I saw there was one night when a group of probably 20 people were there having some kind of ceremony complete with hooded black robes and candles and chanting and the whole bit. It was like something out of a bad B horror movie. No idea who they were.

Don't know whether anyone has mentioned the elaborate mosaics that were in a covered arched area to the right of and between the main gates and the entrance to the crypt. I seem to remember that being a secondary area with vaults built into the walls possibly for other family members. Some of it was busted up by then but a lot of it remained. All done with small, probably 1/4" square glass pieces of different colors with gold foil backing. And I'm not talking about a few. More like hundreds of thousands of them. The mosaics covered the ceiling and walls of that whole area. Somewhere I still have some of the pieces that I picked up off of the ground.

I went back once later during the day while working for the County, coincidentally, doing inspections of abandoned properties in the area so figured I had a good excuse if anyone said anything to me. ;) Probably around 1978 or so. Looked basically the same as I remember but more run down and grown up. I didn't try to go inside at that time.

Anyway, thanks for the memories and all of the information that I never knew about the place!

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: April 24, 2012 08:11AM

"Richard,

Can you explain the "WTF" indicated on your photo? I don't see what feature in the photo has you confused?."

The "WTF" is from an earlier post of that aerial and it refers to that neighborhood being built right there.

Date: April 24, 2012 01:09PM

Glad to see some more activity on this thread. You can check my posts to see my experiences here. Whassup Brody?

Posted by: FrankieJ ()
Date: April 25, 2012 01:25AM

You know, the more that I thought about it today after reading this thread I'm *very* surprised that the "plug" installed to prevent access to the other sections wasn't penetrated over the years.

As above, I was first there in what would have been the Summer of '69 or 70. Apparently, it was installed in '68. The brick/block construction (as shown in the first picture just above on this page) clearly was newer/different and, at least looking at it now, it should have been obvious that it was a pathway that had been blocked. We looked all over and many times for the way to the "secret levels" as I know others did too, but never considered that. (Hey, we weren't really at our analytical best when we were down there. lol ;) But there must have been some people around back then who had seen it just a few years earlier and knew what was behind it. I mean you had +10 year's worth of people who had access from the time of the article about the break-in in '56(?) up until it was plugged in '68.

If you look closely at that pic, in the upper right inside the doorway where the block wall is, you can see where somebody had removed a small section. When there you could see dirt behind it. It looked like that as long as I was going there and seems to have later. With all of the people going in over the years you'd have thought that somebody would have gone further and eventually punched through. They got through everything else that was put in the way to get inside of the place.

But back then we didn't have the benefit of the Interwebs and all of the layout shown in this thread. If we had, then I'm absolutely sure that it would not have lasted. The idea of the dirt behind and between the block walls really was genius on someone's part. OK, maybe not genius but it was good enough to fool a couple of generations of drunks and stoners at least. lol

The other thing that I wonder about is how they completely filled that space between the two walls with dirt? They could have from the front but it was at least over the level of that hole shown so that would have been kind of difficult. Does one of the vents line up with that space? Someone mentioned filling some space through one of the vents shovel-by-shovel. Wonder if that's what they were talking about.

The area where the mosaics were that I mentioned earlier were where what's marked on the plans as the catacombs. You can see it in one of the pictures in the thread that were taken sitting on the cap looking out as the area to the left with the arched structure.

Also thinking back again I remember better now that the entrance that we went through wasn't covered with "bars" as I'd said earlier. Actually, it was one of the iron gates that I'd guess was at the doorway to the inside originally. They'd cemented up the door and then piled various stones and other materials like those that you can see in pictures in front with the gate jammed behind all of that and over the hole.

Posted by: Remey's Head ()
Date: April 27, 2012 05:08PM

Its summer time lets start digging

Posted by: Carl O ()
Date: May 31, 2012 11:29AM

Hey anyone here,

Once this like the crypts was one of the coolest places to visit. There was Scully and Brody and the idea of a virtual tour of the crypts based on the origional blue prints.

Oh well maybe this thing like crypts is a thing long and gone.

Posted by: UgroundFFX ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:04PM

No Trespassing signs are posted around the perimiter of the church's land, which is private property. I inquired at the office, and visits to the site are not permitted. I was told that trespassers will be prosecuted.

Posted by: blueflash ()
Date: June 16, 2012 02:04AM

i dont understand this? How can Pohick Church allow the remaining obelisk monument to the Remey family to stand, yet not allow anyone back there to see it?

Posted by: because.... ()
Date: June 17, 2012 11:59PM

Because it is their property and they can dictate how it is used.

If you were related and had a valid reason for visiting, they could allow a visit. My guess is that nobody but us curious internet goons want to see that stuff anyway.

Posted by: NANCY517 ()
Date: June 19, 2012 06:33PM

THIS IS NOT TRUE ABOUT A MOTORCYCLE GANG FIGHT,i GREW UP IN POHICK ESTATES 1 MILE FROM THE PLACE.I USE TO GO THERE MAYBE 10-15 TIMES NEVER HEARD OF NO FIGHT.i HAVE STORIES I CAN TELL OFF MY OWN THAT ARE CRAZY BUT THEY NEVER HAPPENED.

Posted by: JenK ()
Date: June 19, 2012 07:37PM

How bad is a trespassing prosecution? I've never been arrested(knocking on wood now..), once can't be that bad can it? I'd be up to look. It sucks the few remaining pieces of history like that are closed off to us. :-(

Date: July 14, 2012 11:22AM

WASHINGTON

July 14, 2012

Dear Folks,

Greetings to all who have been so patient and also have been invaluable contributors to the accumulation of facts, stories, and details, particularly those of you who have so graciously allowed myself & staff to obtain oral histories from you regarding the Remeum.

Sadly, due to scheduling and the fact that I am Washington Bureau Chief for a national publication, I honestly have had to lay the ongoing research about the Remeum & Mason Remey aside temporarily just because of the constraints on my time.

Having stated this, let me assure you that I am fully committed to completing the book project and sharing the project's findings with all of you here in this thread.

To this end, I am going to introduce you gentle folks to a historian who lives in Kennebunk, Maine, whom I am bringing in to assist with the research and the writing duties as a co-author/co-contributor on this book project. Her name is Maureen Gill, and her background is here:

Maureen Gill is an educator, public speaker and author known for her insightful historical analyses, biting political commentaries and riveting fiction. Maureen has spoken before audiences at the MacLean Center for Medical Ethics at the University of Chicago, numerous universities, the Newberry Library, and various civic, religious and private groups as well. Maureen is a committed social activist and her areas of interest are human and civil rights, animal rights and healthcare reform.

Her first novel, January Moon, is a gripping detective story about racism, religious fanaticism, mental illness, pure evil and undying love; it is also the first American work of fiction to situate female genital mutilation at the center of a crime story.

Maureen resides in southern coastal Maine and is a featured weekly OpEd columnist at the York County Journal Tribune, where she writes about national and local issues.

Her website is here: http://maureengill.net/

I think that by asking her to join the efforts, we can once again establish some forward movement. I have sent this thread to her for her review and also will be sending emails out to those of you who have so generously given of your time to talk with my staff or I, to seek your permission to interview you herself. Thanks to all of you, very much.

Now, one last thing, the church is upset because they have apparently had a couple of incidents of trespass related to the Remeum. I would once again plead with all of you to respect the Pohick Church's stance on the Remeum. In other words, please confine your tours to the graveyard and the church as those are publicly accessible. Do NOT head up the ridge to the site, please.

I understand the high level of interest that all of you folks have, but again, if there is to be any possibility that permission might be given to gain entrance to the property, it most likely won't happen if the church officials are battling a trespass problem.

[ Mind you, I am an accredited journalist conducting legitimate research and I was refused permission to not only gain permission to tour the site, but also refused access to the parish minutes of those vestry meetings from the 1930's through the 1960's that might shed light on Remey's relationship with the Pohick Church vestry and rectors.]

As always, feel free to contact me and be well folks. Have a great summer too by the way.

Sincerely,

Brody Levesque
theroadtraveler@gmail.com
(202) 556 -0877

Posted by: Slyv ()
Date: August 11, 2012 02:31PM

I was there this morning taking pictures for my site http://www.forbidden-places.net/explo1.php#.UCag06A2YT0. Parked on the other side of the highway and walked in along the wood fence. Once I saw the spire sticking up I just cut throught the woods. I didn't get bothered by anyone and I spent about 90 minutes looking around. I walked around the church and its little graveyard. There was no one there so I suspect they have gone under in this economy.
I think once we get more people involved and get a bigger exposure it will really begin to open up. Theres only so much that this board can do and with the internet we can get world wide attention and really get things moving in the right direction.

Posted by: TheUnderground ()
Date: August 11, 2012 03:13PM

Slyv Wrote:
> I was there this morning taking pictures for my
> site
> http://www.forbidden-places.net/explo1.php#.UCag06
> A2YT0. Parked on the other side of the highway and
> walked in along the wood fence. Once I saw the
> spire sticking up I just cut throught the woods. I
> didn't get bothered by anyone and I spent about 90
> minutes looking around. I walked around the church
> and its little graveyard. There was no one there
> so I suspect they have gone under in this economy.
>
> I think once we get more people involved and get
> a bigger exposure it will really begin to open up.
> Theres only so much that this board can do and
> with the internet we can get world wide attention
> and really get things moving in the right
> direction.

Pics. or GTFO

Posted by: JenK ()
Date: August 11, 2012 04:29PM

Everything gets torn down around here! I went to the remains of Storybook Land in Woodbridge a couple days ago and there's some old foundations and chunks of colored concrete, but there's nothing there! They developed all around it, but it's just an empty lot. NoVa is all about tearing it down, it's sad.

I asked my godmother about the Remey Tomb and she said 'Oh yeah, we all used to go get high there in the 70's, but I was too scared to go into it'.....*sigh* and this is why it's not available to us now :( damn teenagers havin too much fun back in the day....

Posted by: Been there, done that ()
Date: August 11, 2012 06:28PM

JenK Wrote:
> Everything gets torn down around here! I went to
> the remains of Storybook Land in Woodbridge a
> couple days ago and there's some old foundations
> and chunks of colored concrete, but there's
> nothing there! They developed all around it, but
> it's just an empty lot. NoVa is all about tearing
> it down, it's sad.
>
> I asked my godmother about the Remey Tomb and she
> said 'Oh yeah, we all used to go get high there in
> the 70's, but I was too scared to go into
> it'.....*sigh* and this is why it's not available
> to us now :( damn teenagers havin too much fun
> back in the day....

That's what happens when you have the kind of growth that we've had around here. The whole area is a completely different place now (unfortunately).

Date: August 12, 2012 01:46PM

Brody, any progress on the digitization of the blueprints?

Posted by: bitten to hell and back ()
Date: August 24, 2012 05:21PM

Alright, I have a MUCH better reason then No Trespass signs to stay away....ticks, and yes it's VA, we expect ticks in the wood...not like this, I literally thanked God I brough a change of clothes, we're talking hundreds of pinhead size ticks all over me!!!! I'm praying I managed to shower them off. That said, I taped string and 2lil lights to my camera and dropped(gently)it down the vents today, but didn't really see anything but brick :( I was hoping maybe there'd be a shot into the tomb. Oh well.

No one really around, there is a house very very close to the tomb, if they were in their yard they'd def see you back there, but it's very quiet and seems deserted.

If you're at the back of the cemetary, there's a gravel parking lot and a lil clearing, you'd head to your right, cut back and head up the hill...which is how I got lost for an hour, do NOT go left toward Clochester Rd!!!

I found 2 possible areas that may have been the entrance everyone mentioned after it was razed, but neither is fesible to try ot get into, plus I was alone and I ain't gettin' stuck! One, with shovels and a couple people, maybe....either way, neat piece of history. rban exploring ftw :)....I know, pics or gtfo...I'll go w/pics
Attachments:
rmcrop6.jpg

Posted by: bitten to hell and back ()
Date: August 24, 2012 05:23PM

IDK, how to do more than 1 photo at a time....i so suck at computer stuffs :( if you want to see more, or the vids, lemme know, I can zip them(or ask someone to ;)) and email them.
Attachments:
rmDATEcrop2.png

Date: September 16, 2012 12:52AM

I have 2 gates to the place in my back yard and I know someone else that has the brass eagles 2 of them and he has parts from the light fixtures and alot of marble from the place.

Date: September 16, 2012 12:58AM

are you the Brody that knows Katey from Edsall rd /Duke st area who lives at Rob's?

Posted by: know it all ()
Date: September 16, 2012 01:33AM

stop lieing they are not your family,such crap.don't ask me how i know this i just do and the bunny man bridge is crap and untrue do your research on both.

Posted by: old school Lorton ()
Date: September 16, 2012 12:00PM

thank you so much I grew up in Pohick Estates 1 mile from the place,my brothers brought up out of there brass gargoyles heads marble iron gates the chandelier lights.They still have these things my brother said it took days to chip those brass gargoyle heads off the wall.I am so sick of hearing the pagens hung out there,they did not.How did that rumor get started?I'm 47 but my brothers are 59 and 60 we went to hayfield to,my brothers were the first set of students to enter hayfield.I have 2 of the iron gates that one goes at the top of the grave the other at the bottom of the grave in my back yard.Sorry I just asked my brother he said that some of the pagens (he knew some of them) went there but that it wasn't like a club house hang out.He also said now that he's older that they should not of been there that it was a place of burial and what they did was disrespectful to the dead and the family.

Posted by: tell the truth.... ()
Date: September 16, 2012 12:26PM

just from how you described it I can tell you have never been down there,I have, one of your biggest lies was the water on the floor.Anyone that has ever been in there will know what I mean.Your urban legends made me laugh,and it's not a coffin that you put your foot on to get down in there,it's parts of a broken iron gate.Please....

Posted by: Lorton old school..... ()
Date: September 16, 2012 12:43PM

yes and the fact that she committed suicide she shot herself in the head twice.Sounds funny to me,when it only takes one bullet to the head to kill.Why the second bullet?This was printed in the news paper on her death.

Posted by: Hypocrisy is the New Black ()
Date: September 16, 2012 01:14PM

old school Lorton Wrote:
> thank you so much I grew up in Pohick Estates 1
> mile from the place,my brothers brought up out of
> there brass gargoyles heads marble iron gates the
> chandelier lights.They still have these things my
> brother said it took days to chip those brass
> gargoyle heads off the wall.I am so sick of
> hearing the pagens hung out there,they did not.How
> did that rumor get started?I'm 47 but my brothers
> are 59 and 60 we went to hayfield to,my brothers
> were the first set of students to enter hayfield.I
> have 2 of the iron gates that one goes at the top
> of the grave the other at the bottom of the grave
> in my back yard.Sorry I just asked my brother he
> said that some of the pagens (he knew some of
> them) went there but that it wasn't like a club
> house hang out.He also said now that he's older
> that they should not of been there that it was a
> place of burial and what they did was
> disrespectful to the dead and the family.

^ Says the person who admits that they vandalized and stole property from a tomb. lol

Posted by: Lorton old school.... ()
Date: September 16, 2012 01:23PM

Story Book Land was closed after a child had gotten in one of the wooden cars or structures that the children played in and was bitten by a copper head and died.There was also other problems such as the cost of keeping the place safe for children leaves branches snakes.The place was in a wooded area and the up keep became more than it was worth than to keep the place running.

Date: September 16, 2012 01:33PM

I didn't steal anything my brothers did as teens,If you care to come to Stafford Va I will show you the gates I have.Look at the picture of the big marble coffin and you will see part of the gates,study it,what I have is the top and bottom part.I didn't steal them they hung around the house (my parents) finally I brought them here.Anyway the gates are made with the same pattern except at both ends of them there are places to put candles in them.Laugh all you want,how many stupid things did you do as a teen that you have regrets about now?This is how my brother feels about it now, that he shouldn't of been back there doing what he was doing,he is 59 now, he was 17 then.

Date: September 16, 2012 01:41PM

I didn't steal anything my brothers did as teens,If you care to come to Stafford Va I will show you the gates I have.Look at the picture of the big marble coffin and you will see part of the gates,study it,what I have is the top and bottom part.I didn't steal them they hung around the house (my parents) finally I brought them here.Anyway the gates are made with the same pattern except at both ends of them there are places to put candles in them.Laugh all you want,how many stupid things did you do as a teen that you have regrets about now?This is how my brother feels about it now, that he shouldn't of been back there doing what he was doing,he is 59 now, he was 17 then.Bring your camera to.

Posted by: Joe schmoe ()
Date: September 20, 2012 03:10PM

I find it hard to believe that the crypt has gone almost 30 years without someone finding a way in. I bet someone found a way in and hid the entrance. Under stones or bushes or anything of the sort.

Posted by: crypt keeper ()
Date: September 20, 2012 03:47PM

I believe you. My brother took somethings too. Can you post a picture of the gates you have? I will post a picture if my brother still has anything from the crypts.

Posted by: Adventurer ()
Date: October 20, 2012 05:53PM

Hey guys

Awesome thread- lots of hard work makes it exciting to read.

Ive spent the past several years exploring lots of abandoned places-

Henryton, Glenn Dale, Forest Haven, National Park Seminary, several forts and other places.

I went to the Remeum this morning, saturday with the wife.

There are several "no trespassing" signs in the woods- we went in anyway.

All we found was the big marble obelisk and a shit ton of poison ivy. I will go back in the winter when the vegetation dies down. Sad place

Cheers!

Posted by: NancyG ()
Date: October 26, 2012 09:19PM

is there another way to ask questions on this forum? I am dying to know if this is where I went in early 80's.

A Resident Wrote:
> NovaTrucker Wrote:
> -----
> > Lee Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Want to see real pics of the crypts from what
> > it
> > > looked like when I went there?
> > > Go to Facebook, enter Annandale, VA. in
> search
> > and
> > > click on photos.
> >
> >
> > Lee, i'm not finding this....there is no option
> > for photos
>
> From Facebook...Annandale, VA...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Date: October 26, 2012 09:33PM

I remember going down through a hole and stepping onto a concrete? crypt and walking through what seemed like hallways with small open rooms off them and there were the crypts in there ( the things that the coffins go inside of). That is IF this was where I was! I remember distinctly one crypt had prone statues of twins made on top of the "lid" . Does anyone know if this is where I was?? I was in Fairfax County, it was abandoned, had to walk through woods had to avoid a large old house where a caretaker? lived. I have been trying to find this place again.

Posted by: Uh huhh ()
Date: October 26, 2012 09:40PM

NancyG Wrote:
> I remember going down through a hole and stepping
> onto a concrete? crypt and walking through what
> seemed like hallways with small open rooms off
> them and there were the crypts in there ( the
> things that the coffins go inside of). That is IF
> this was where I was! I remember distinctly one
> crypt had prone statues of twins made on top of
> the "lid" . Does anyone know if this is where I
> was?? I was in Fairfax County, it was abandoned,
> had to walk through woods had to avoid a large old
> house where a caretaker? lived. I have been trying
> to find this place again.

Had to be.

Date: October 27, 2012 07:28PM

Does anyone have any photos taken down inside where the crypts were? I am so glad to have found this site, I have spent the last 28 ormore years trying to find this place again and I sure "feel" like it must be it.

Posted by: Facebook thief ()
Date: October 27, 2012 08:18PM

NancyG Wrote:
> Does anyone have any photos taken down inside
> where the crypts were? I am so glad to have found
> this site, I have spent the last 28 ormore years
> trying to find this place again and I sure "feel"
> like it must be it.
Attachments:
crypts 3.jpg
crypts 7.jpg
crypts 1.jpg

Date: October 28, 2012 06:34AM

Thank you! This has to be the place! I was taken there by a friend and we spent a whole day there both underground and above. I had tried for years to figure out where I was that day and when I saw this forum was so excited to realize that this might be it!! I am 99% positive it was. I had a map to it that was drawn on a napkin and remember I was told to look for the big cross. Does anyone remember the tops on the crypts and the other carvings on them? Thank you again!!

Posted by: mviker ()
Date: November 05, 2012 05:23PM

Yet another tale from the Crypts...

We used to hang out at Bradlick shopping center back in the day. The day was late 70's into the early 80's. The Crypts were one of the places we went to do our thing, mostly hang out, drink a few beers and enjoy some smoke. It's as everyone else that's been there described. One time, it had to be a fabulous place, but by the time we discovered it, it was pretty well trashed. We'd go in and hang in the furthest rooms. Sometimes others were there, sometimes, we had the place to ourselves.

I do have one unforgetable time there. We went one Halloween. A buddy of mine brought a chainsaw without the chain, just the bar. we hid in the back and waited for someone to show and sure enough, they came crawling in through the entrance and began their way to the back where we were. Once they rounded the corner, my friend fired up the chainsaw and you could hear them almost literally clawing their way back to get out. screams and crying, it was great!
The only drag about it though, was that the chainsaw must have caught the caretaker's attention. we were met by the police when we finally decided to leave, but they just told us to get the hell out of there. They had a good laugh with us when they saw the chainsaw and heard our story. Fun times, Very cool place even though it was trashed.

Love this thread. Very interesting stuff, both from a teenaged party place to the very real history behind the man and the family that rested there. Thanks very much to all of you!

Posted by: Bikergunnut ()
Date: November 18, 2012 07:54PM

Does anyone have a picture of the top of this crypt. It had less than a foot clearance to the ceiling but we got on top of it once and the symbles spelled out the word "Evil" (Dale City croud)
Attachments:
IMG_0056.jpg

Posted by: Bradlick 7-11 gang ()
Date: November 19, 2012 06:26AM

mviker Wrote:
> Yet another tale from the Crypts...
>
> We used to hang out at Bradlick shopping center
> back in the day. The day was late 70's into the
> early 80's. The Crypts were one of the places we
> went to do our thing, mostly hang out, drink a few
> beers and enjoy some smoke. It's as everyone else
> that's been there described. One time, it had to
> be a fabulous place, but by the time we discovered
> it, it was pretty well trashed. We'd go in and
> hang in the furthest rooms. Sometimes others were
> there, sometimes, we had the place to ourselves.
>
> I do have one unforgetable time there. We went one
> Halloween. A buddy of mine brought a chainsaw
> without the chain, just the bar. we hid in the
> back and waited for someone to show and sure
> enough, they came crawling in through the entrance
> and began their way to the back where we were.
> Once they rounded the corner, my friend fired up
> the chainsaw and you could hear them almost
> literally clawing their way back to get out.
> screams and crying, it was great!
> The only drag about it though, was that the
> chainsaw must have caught the caretaker's
> attention. we were met by the police when we
> finally decided to leave, but they just told us to
> get the hell out of there. They had a good laugh
> with us when they saw the chainsaw and heard our
> story. Fun times, Very cool place even though it
> was trashed.
>
> Love this thread. Very interesting stuff, both
> from a teenaged party place to the very real
> history behind the man and the family that rested
> there. Thanks very much to all of you!

Yeah, that was us. We just wanted to hang out in the back room too. And yes you did scare the shit out of us. I remember that chain saw showing up at a party but I can't remember who had it. Fun times!

Ride to Remey Tomb/Crypt
Posted by: Klamato McGillicuddy ()
Date: November 25, 2012 01:18PM

We have a bus people! We are going to meet at the Huntington Avenue Mtro station, just off 95, every Saturday at 6 am. We'll go down US 1, Richmond Highway to the Lorton Post Office. We'll go in from there and explore, bring your digging tools and good gloves. Hopefully the coordinates will be up on Google Earth soon. Time to make it happen People!
Attachments:
th.jpg

Re: Ride to Remey Tomb/Crypt
Posted by: Sup yo ()
Date: November 25, 2012 10:04PM

Good luck Klamato ! Bring a lawyer first

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: November 25, 2012 10:58PM

Since we're all older people here, this reference will work.

Get Geraldo Rivera to broadcast the unearthing of the Remey Crypt!

Posted by: Haig Pakhchanian ()
Date: January 04, 2013 12:19PM

Could I possibly come over to see your artifacts? I visit my kids in stafford frequently.

Posted by: Haig Pakhchanian ()
Date: January 04, 2013 12:26PM

Lorton old school.... Wrote:
> I didn't steal anything my brothers did as
> teens,If you care to come to Stafford Va I will
> show you the gates I have.Look at the picture of
> the big marble coffin and you will see part of the
> gates,study it,what I have is the top and bottom
> part.I didn't steal them they hung around the
> house (my parents) finally I brought them
> here.Anyway the gates are made with the same
> pattern except at both ends of them there are
> places to put candles in them.Laugh all you
> want,how many stupid things did you do as a teen
> that you have regrets about now?This is how my
> brother feels about it now, that he shouldn't of
> been back there doing what he was doing,he is 59
> now, he was 17 then.Bring your camera to.

Could I come and see your artifacts? I visit Stafford often. I'm will be descrete as well. haiantnic@yahoo.com

Date: January 20, 2013 11:30AM

Yes, your brother says I can come too. I am a well of discreteness. No worries, I bring camera. Directions please. bmehlman@fbi.gov

Posted by: Bump! ()
Date: February 08, 2013 03:29PM

This is probably verboten, but Fairfax Underground is in the Washington Post again today so we probably have some fresh eyes on the forum. Bumping this thread for the new readers.

Posted by: LBSS class of 85 ()
Date: February 08, 2013 04:47PM

I love the history aspect of Fairfax County, We moved into Lake Braddock in Dec of 1972, Many of the stories of the Cripts, Silos, Pits (the only site I visited in late 1980's) The Urban Legends, of Rabbit man, the person at Burke Lake. Then of course the Civil War Era of the county (Burke especially) I have been into the Silas Burke House, Had Many conversations with Willie Harlow, The Woods Community Center. The Old Railroad bed along along Burke Road. The Stores from the 70's Dart Drug and Dart Home, The Rolling Valley Mall Movie Theater. Victors Pizza (Before Domino's) how angie left Victor and opened her own store in Twinbrook. The Houses from the civil war that have either been moved, Burned Demolished in the name of Progress. Reading your account of the Cripts is very interesting. I have but 1 question, besides the Rumors it was 27 levels deep, is why was his wife the only one left here in VA? I may have missed it somewhere, but that sticks out as a question in my mind.

Date: March 10, 2013 02:45PM

Artifacts were no good. They give me tea to drink before I could look. I woke up with no pants and drooling. Very bad.

Posted by: History Freak ()
Date: May 17, 2013 02:36PM

The beef between Peagans (Lorton) and Hells Angels (Annandale) started at "Hillbilly Heaven Club" on Rt.1, south of Pohick. The true rumble took place at the crypts. That was in the 60's. In 72/73, my Dad and others in construction were hired to fill the crypts in. A few days into the work, when the dozer operator shut down the machine, and was walking towards my dad and others sitting on a truck tailgate, a man in a long grey, white robe, extended his arms out and asked him "Why are you desecrating this sacred ground". The operator turned towards my dad and friends and said, get aload of this guy, he wants to know why we are filling the crypt in? All of them on break asked, "What man? When he turned around, there wasn't anyone there! Needless to say, the operator called it quits, and loaded up his dozer, and left the site. Dad couldn't wait to come home and tell us about the ghost! I, independently asked 3 of the men that were there, and each told me the same story. They also said that is why there was a small opening at the top of the crypt. Job almost completed.

Posted by: Actiondale ()
Date: June 30, 2013 03:12PM

Bump

Date: June 30, 2013 03:51PM

WASHINGTON

June 30, 2013

Dear LBSS class of 85,

You had asked; "I have but 1 question, besides the Rumors it was 27 levels deep, is why was his wife the only one left here in VA? I may have missed it somewhere, but that sticks out as a question in my mind."

The answer is pretty simple. According to my research, Admiral John W. Wadleigh, Remey's brother-in-law acting on Remey's behalf, arranged to move the remains of the family members as a result of the final disposition in the civil lawsuit between Remey and the Vestry of the Pohick Church in U. S. District Court in Alexandria in 1967.

At issue was the fact that Remey's wife had committed suicide coupled with the fact that Remey himself couldn't afford to have her remains shipped to either Kansas City, Missouri where her family was from, nor to the Mason family burial ground in New York state.

In way of further explanation, the other 15 or so remains were in burial urns- cremated- not full sets of remains hence little to no cost and less legal hassle versus shipping a full set of remains. Regulations of that time period stipulated that human remains must be shipped by a licenced funeral home to a licenced funeral home/parlor.

Remey, by 1967 was all but financially tapped out. In fact, when he died in 1974, he died a pauper. A family source told me that there would have been little to no support by anyone in the family to have borne the costs associated with shipping her remains.

Now, the other issue was the manner of her death. Ironically, she was buried down the hill in the Pohick church's graveyard, in an area that was unconsecrated, which was prescribed for suicides as the church views this as sin. Today of course, her grave is surrounded by other folks and times have changed and suicide- save maybe for a Catholic parish graveyard- is no longer a barrier to a burial in those graveyards.

I hope that answers your question.

Sincerely,

Brody Levesque
(202) 556-0877

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2013 03:53PM by Brody Levesque.

Posted by: jorhanca ()
Date: July 23, 2013 10:07PM

Is this thread dead? Just finished reading the whole thing and I'll be really sad if the story's over! :(

Date: July 23, 2013 10:32PM

WASHINGTON

July 23, 2013

Dear Jorhanca,

I seriously doubt that this thread has passed on given the amount of interest that this subject generates, particularly among those folks who actively participated in some of the "partying @ the crypts" during its heyday.

I am still very much active researching this story when time permits and as I discover new sources of information.

Sadly, the Pohick Church has been extremely reluctant to cooperate with my research regarding church records of the Vestry minutes covering the events leading up to Remey's lease of the property he built the Remeum on and also the Vestry minutes of the meetings where the church finally sued to get the property back.

I have also not received permission to visit the site myself to examine what is now left although as you can see from the photos and posts, others have so at least there is a record of the remains still standing.

I hope to have some free time later this fall to start the actual writing of the entire story, of which I will be sharing excerpts here with the readers of this thread.

Sincerely,

Brody Levesque

(202) 556-0877

Posted by: DCON ()
Date: July 24, 2013 11:38AM

Brody Levesque Wrote:
> WASHINGTON
>
> July 23, 2013
>
> Dear Jorhanca,
>
> I seriously doubt that this thread has passed on
> given the amount of interest that this subject
> generates, particularly among those folks who
> actively participated in some of the "partying @
> the crypts" during its heyday.
>
> I am still very much active researching this story
> when time permits and as I discover new sources of
> information.
>
> Sadly, the Pohick Church has been extremely
> reluctant to cooperate with my research regarding
> church records of the Vestry minutes covering the
> events leading up to Remey's lease of the property
> he built the Remeum on and also the Vestry minutes
> of the meetings where the church finally sued to
> get the property back.
>
> I have also not received permission to visit the
> site myself to examine what is now left although
> as you can see from the photos and posts, others
> have so at least there is a record of the remains
> still standing.
>
> I hope to have some free time later this fall to
> start the actual writing of the entire story, of
> which I will be sharing excerpts here with the
> readers of this thread.
>
> Sincerely,
>
>
> Brody Levesque
>
> theroadtraveler@gmail.com
>
> (202) 556-0877

Brody,

Thanks for all that you have posted.I look forward to reading more.I visited the Crypts many times while a student at J.E.B. Stuart High between 1979 and 1982. We always wondered what was behind that blocked in wall at the end of the chamber.Surely there are pictures out there of the other level(s)?

Posted by: Old Dude ()
Date: July 24, 2013 12:48PM

DCON Wrote:
>
> Brody,
>
> Thanks for all that you have posted.I look forward
> to reading more.I visited the Crypts many times
> while a student at J.E.B. Stuart High between 1979
> and 1982. We always wondered what was behind that
> blocked in wall at the end of the chamber.Surely
> there are pictures out there of the other
> level(s)?

I'm really surprised that wall never came down. We pecked away at it a few times but never had any tools with us or knew what was there to have the incentive to really go after it. Had we known there was all that behind there we surely would have.

Doubtful there are any pictures other than maybe if some were taken during/after construction. I don't think that there are many who got in there before it was blocked up and people didn't have cameras with them all the time like they do now. The odds of finding someone who did, and took pictures, and still has them, and finds this thread and posts them are very, very low.

Posted by: bumpin ()
Date: August 09, 2013 02:16PM

Every day im BUMPIN it .....

Posted by: Anna Goddard ()
Date: August 18, 2013 02:17PM

Hello today. We are from the Netherlands to visit Washington. Yesterday was holiday so we go to see the Remy museo. The cab takes us to church and we walk. Many police come and we are given notices but no arrest. Police take us back to Washington and say do not go anymore. We did see nothing but woods and church. Did we go to wrong place? Is this secret place? One more week and we return for university. Who can take us there?
Attachments:
Radboud Group.jpg

Posted by: J.E.Hoyle ()
Date: August 24, 2013 12:00AM

I've lived in Lorton for my entire life, 42 years. I've heard my friends tell me about this place for years, as it was pretty much covered over when I was approaching my teens, and I grew up in Mason Neck. I think that Brody should interview more old pagan bikers who used to go to The Crypts. I look forward to a book, TV show, or something on "The Crypts" soon.

Posted by: J.E.Hoyle ()
Date: August 24, 2013 12:27AM

Hey Dutch People: You were in Fairfax County, which has a major police presence since the early 80's pretty much. If you'd read earlier posts, especially by Brody Levesque, you'd know that Pohick Church apparently prosecutes trespassers. I live nearby and even I'm a little scared to go, mainly because I don't need to deal with the heat, not to mention the ticks and chiggers. My friend, who went in The Crypts as a kid, told me that a few years back he asked someone in charge at the Church about The Crypts, and he said it was like a storm cloud gathered around the person as they leered down at him disdainfully..You were lucky. They gave you a ride back to DC too?

Posted by: GlenGould ()
Date: August 25, 2013 05:11AM

Brody,

I suspect you already know this, but there is a good chance the flood gates will open when you get something widely published. This story is inherently fascinating--and not just locally--in so many areas: history, religion, architecture, culture, folklore, conflict. I've been captivated by the mystery of the Remey mausoleum since the early 80s and having followed this thread for a couple of years now I see credible evidence that much of the structure remains intact. Once you get the word out the curiosity will not be stopped. Some sort of archaeological expedition will surely follow. This story is a goldmine of 20th-century weirdness and intrigue. Perhaps you can make the landowners recognize that they will only quell the lure of the unknown by acknowledging all this fascination and allowing a well-documented investigation to take place.

Thanks for all your work on this subject.

Posted by: Enrico Palazzo ()
Date: August 25, 2013 05:52AM

I wonder if it is legal to tunnel way underneath and "enter" the crypts from below. Though this is probably not feasible it sounds really cool. Can you imagine being the first one to enter with a torch?

Posted by: Lonnie Frericks ()
Date: August 25, 2013 10:26AM

Enrico, I would be willing to help dig a tunnel and be the first person to enter. Are you seriously going to put this together?

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: August 25, 2013 12:14PM

The church likely won't be moved to allow anything to happen on that site due to the nuisance it has been in the past.

One way that might make them change their mind is to have some "legitimate" organization ask to excavate it as part of a dig for historical artifacts. This organization would have to put up a bond and have the resources to restore the site to a natural state when complete.

The church might be motivated by having this nuisance (trespassers and, especially, that obelisk) removed once and for all.

I think I left my car keys down there too, so we can grab those while we're at it.

Can anybody think of any organizations that might be interested? Will it turn out to be a letdown like Geraldo Rivera's opening of Capone's vaults? This area is rich with history - I imagine some group would be interested if they were able to solicit donations for the effort.

One more idea: Let the memory of the tomb's nuisance fade along with the elders passing away for another two or three decades - then see if the next generation's curiosity is as strong as it is here in this thread.

Posted by: The Craven Warlock Breed ()
Date: August 25, 2013 01:44PM

We shall never let the memory of our forefathers pass in vain. We shall reclaim the site of our our hallowed coven, descend into its lower levels and find our way to the murky pits of hell and prepare for the Great Awakening. Or some such bullshit.
Attachments:
hidden-rooms-priest-hole.jpg

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: August 25, 2013 03:17PM

>Can anybody think of any organizations that might be interested? Will it turn out
>to be a letdown like Geraldo Rivera's opening of Capone's vaults?

Rules vary between states and I've never led a crew in Virginia so I may be wrong here, but I'll bet it'd be virtually impossible to get permission to dig your way in. I mean real permission, although you might not need it if you can get the landowner to agree. If that's a church and there're dead folks down there, good luck.

That said, if they could be and they wanted an actual archaeologist to consult on this, I might be available. Scratch any archaeologist and you'll find a treasure hunter, or at least the soul of one.

Posted by: Gregg ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:04PM

Hey RustyHammer,
Aren't you my fellow bandmate where we played at your house with our band? I never realized we were that close to the crypts. I had always wanted to visit. It has to be you...the stage, parties, jamming until 4AM. A cool place, amazing how you made it work for yourself and your dog. If it's you, and I'm pretty sure it is, hope you are doing well and still making music. Give me a shout if you like at gtrgregg@yahoo. Peace. -Gregg

Posted by: Enrico Palazzo ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:21PM

All our lives we're simply passing through history. This...This IS history.

Bellock

Posted by: Johnny ()
Date: September 25, 2013 12:20PM

This is an amazing thread.

I just stumbled across it accidentally yesterday morning, and I have continuously reading every post on every page ever since. To see almost two years of info all at once, with the great photos and stories is simply fantastic.

I grew up in Arlington and graduated high school in 1980. I never went to "The Crypts" but I certainly heard of them. Never from someone who had actually been there, always at least third-hand info about somebody else's older brother who had been there, or something like that. I didn't even know where they were, just somewhere in Fairfax. But they were always described as spooky and a party hangout.

I hadn't even thought about them in years. Wow, this was a terrific read. Thanks to all of you for all the work you did here. And to think that we are all at least 50 years old now!

Posted by: Amazing Place ()
Date: September 25, 2013 07:39PM

When we visited, back the mid 70s I think, there were boxes and boxes of different kinds and colors of small tiles inside. Probably for completion of the walls, floors, whatever. The tiles were brightly colored and of course we took some since the boxes were opened with tiles spilled all over the floors, but they're long gone from my possession.

Also remember walking in an outside courtyard that contained writings inside niches in the surrounding walls. I believe they were prayers and spiritual writings.

I also remember all the horror stories about people looking inside the crypts and finding bodies. Didn't happen. The remains were removed before the place was abandoned, as I'm sure someone has written in this thread.

Real shame this place was never completed; I'm sure it would have been an amazing and beautiful place. We were amazed that a place like that existed in our area. I so wish we had taken pictures, but hey, we didn't have cell phones back then!

Posted by: Allan Payne ()
Date: September 29, 2013 01:42PM

"I so wish we had taken pictures, but hey, we didn't have cell phones back then!"

Hey dumbass, "we" did have cameras back then. I smoked at least a couple of pounds of weed in the krypts. Also camped out there a few times. I took a lot of pictures. Spent a ton of money getting them developed.
Attachments:
Krypt 1973.jpeg
Krypt 1977.jpeg

Posted by: Brain ()
Date: December 07, 2013 12:27AM

Nice try on those photo's. Ones a photo of a Roman Crypt, and the other is a cemetery vault from Edinburgh Scotland.

Posted by: CARTERSLADE ()
Date: December 08, 2013 06:47PM

Well been reading for hours all 8 pages some report.I saved every pic Icould.You see never took a camera with me all those years ago wish I had.And through all 8 pages the pics I was really looking for were absent.I saw alot of pics some made me go whom!the one of the entrance in 91 that looked more like 81 82.Iwas there not shure of year other than it was befor 91 Ilive in alex all my life moved in 91 havent been bac since and it was a couple of years befor i left iam thinkig 88 89 in winter feb the place I had been to many times was gone me and a friend who also had been with me when we were younger were walking on alevel out area were it use to be entrance walls gone fairly fresh dirt no grass weeds zip.in some areas track marks from dozerall that was there was cross at the east end 2 vent shafts on sothwest edge at cleared line and tree line that was it.pic in 91 looked about how it was in 80s befor not as much dirt in front of and a big rock or concrete slab you had to squeze behind to get in.well bac to pics.all were nice to see and have. blue prints well got me doing alot of thinking.see first time I was there 77was 15we parked pohick rd 6 of us jetted over 1 down path dobbermans barking not cockerspaniels uphill to entrance when we arrived we were met by people leaving we heard thm they heard us everyone hidd for next 30 min we were in a stale mate noone moved or spoke finally some said hay and everyone came out we went in it was somthing to be hold even in a trashed state all marble collumms that still shined there was a main room as soon as you climbed down the half ass wooden ladder the long room was a sort o f waiting worshiping room benchs of marble made to the walls4 or 5 per side statues everywhere most headless we drank and made merry for a while others came you coud hear them befor they squezzed behind rock at entrance we turned off lites darkest place ive ever seen like being blind.When they got in and down the ladder we made noises and whale scared the shit out a few good fun.They stayed a while left and then a strange thing happen we were yaking and cutting up when to our suprise and being the only one in the joint a guy appeared from the rear I mean at the end away from entrance he was not with privious crowd he walked up said hey we were like.wtf he started talking about the joint. we ask were did you come from he kept talking the other 4 freinds got a little detached ignoring the guy and his info he was rambling on about. me and another were listening the others tuned him out he was telling us about other levels and took us in the direction he came from in the bac there wre 5 rooms. Between to bac rooms ther was a passage way now bricked up you see differance in bricks he said this was the way to lower levels this was close to admirals room I no this because I said bac in begining 2 pics I hadent seen or heard anyone mention the white marble battleship inlaid in wall adorning tomb it was 2 to 3 ft wide 5 or 6 feet I was suprised no pic nobody mention it in any forum ?Also a block of green marble as big as a coctale table that said medatation.We went bac to front to were the rest of gang was we started telling them what this guy said they were a couple years older and said they been coming here for a couple years the 5 rooms were it.we took them bac to the rear and were dude was we walked bac he was gone we showed them the spot in the wall they said they never noticed it befor and then we spent another hour trying to find out how this guy got out was not hiding in tomb only a couple were open we looked for other exits tap on walls nothing the guy looked 40 at least glasses said he been coming here for20 years moer people came we went bac to what we were doing be for dude did his whoodinne act to this day i stll wonder and then see these blue prints and pics whom always thought the crypts were part of the old pohick church did not no of remey family tomb never paid attention to names of admiral so it all is really something would giveanything to see the place down there again one last time befor iam dead!all I no is the guy never left or came in the way we did!!!

Date: December 10, 2013 05:08PM

Sorry about poor grammer and writing skills caught up in memory of pass girfreind tryed to repair laughing all the way edit would not allow when she was correcting said only editor was allowed so much for edit opp! noticed in pics from this site pic one when you zoom in to the right of tall pilliard and to left of v in tree line top of cross is seen also in pic2 of cross v in tree line in later pic still seen one can line up pillar of cross for poss fix
Attachments:
CRYPT1.jpeg

Date: December 11, 2013 11:55AM

Zoom on first pic see the cross 2 pic v in tree line pics years apart tree line still there matchs up with old pic
Attachments:
PohickCrypts1.jpeg
PohickCrypts2.jpeg

Posted by: Bev ()
Date: December 20, 2013 10:05PM

This is an amazing site. After 46 years I've found the answer to the mystery that has been with me all these years. I was only about 17 or 18 from Indiana and was driving down what I believe then was route 1, when without reason or rhyme I was compelled to stop along side the road, it was as though something made me stop and determined me to walk into what was then the wooded area beside the Church. It was there in a clearing I saw the bricked walls and large iron gates. I could only pier in to see the grounds.

When the person I was with indicated he felt as though someone was watching us - there wasn't a sound or even a hint of breeze, but his insight was correct, a man approached and explained it was a private burial tome for a man's wife...which tonight I find to be true. Thanks I have often attempted to find additional information on that location probably because finding it seemed so out of the ordinary, It was what I would call a truly unnatural pull to the place...I had never been in VA before those two years in my life and certainly knew nothing of the Remey Tome Thanks Glad to Know

Date: December 23, 2013 07:58PM

Where did the activity on this one go? Brody? Guys? Maybe the curse of the Remeum claimed them all! Post at your own risk. Made some good reading though, I heard of the crypts back in the late seventies/early eighties but was a carless kid. Been to other cool places though, this one would have rocked though. Revive this thread!

Date: December 23, 2013 07:58PM

Where did the activity on this one go? Brody? Guys? Maybe the curse of the Remeum claimed them all! Post at your own risk. Made some good reading though, I heard of the crypts back in the late seventies/early eighties but was a carless kid. Been to other cool places though, this one would have rocked though. Revive this thread!

Date: December 24, 2013 06:03PM

WASHINGTON

Christmas Eve 2013

Dear Folks,

Here's wishing all of you a Happy Holiday & my desire that the new year will be peaceful and productive for all of you.

Working on the book now and occasional additional research.

My thanks again to all of you who wrote, called, e-mailed, and provided valuable insight into a story that quite frankly was amazing. Be well.

Sincerely,

Brody Levesque
Attachments:
Christmas Wreath gif file.gif

Brody Levesque
Posted by: Dr Meredith Grey ()
Date: December 25, 2013 02:55PM

Brody,

Wishing you a Merry Christmas. Our next session is scheduled for Thursday morning at 9:15. We will continue our discussion of obsessing over a pile of refuse that is buried under tons of dirt and will never be seen during your lifetime. Tell all the "pool boys" at http://www.islandhousekeywest.com/ I said hello! La ti da.
Attachments:
Your Doctor.png

Posted by: Wes Meade 2014 ()
Date: January 10, 2014 01:16PM

Certainly hoping that 2014 will bring some new information and enthusiasm to this project! Anyone up for a cold winter visit to the Remeum?

Pages: Previous1234567891011AllNext
Current Page: 8 of 11

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.