HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Swine Flu Vaccine?
Posted by: At a Loss ()
Date: October 09, 2009 09:29AM

I'm at a loss about what to do about the swine flu vaccine for the my children. I had concerns about a new vaccine not having a track record (e.g. Guardasil and that catastrophe) and when I asked our pediatrician she echoed my concerns and said that she will not be giving it to her patients or her own kids. However, all over the news doctors and the CDC are imploring parents to get their kids vaccinated despite what their pediatricians might advise because kids under 18 are at most risk of death form the virus. A 14 y.o. died in Fairfax County last week from the virus. According to the news, of the people who end up in the hospital with the swine flu, it's mostly kids under 18 who end up in ICU.

I can't help but consider that they want as many people vaccinated as possible to help stop the spread of the pandemic... and so what if there is a "little" collateral damage, it's for the greater good. The only example ABC and Dr. Tim Johnson gave of a doctor not vaccinating his patients was that the pediatrician told the parents to supplement with vitamin D and C to boost the immune system. Lame example from ABC. They could have given more formidable examples from respected pediatricians to warrant a more cerebral response from the experts. Dr. Nancy Snyderman from NBC was so adamant about vaccinating that one would think she owned stock in the pharmecutical company. Meanwhile, many respected pediatricians in Fairfax County are recommending against the vaccine.

Still at a loss.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Swine Flu Vaccine?
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: October 09, 2009 10:25AM

I simply don't trust anything the media or government says to do when it comes to something like this. Especially with such a rapid turnaround on a vaccine from the initial outbreak. If your pediatrician won't give it to her kids, what does that say?

I, for one, will NOT be getting the vaccine. So if I do die, fuck it, my bad.

And for what it's worth...my daughter will never get that Guardasil. They'll have to kill me first.

Posted by: pgen's MC ()
Date: October 09, 2009 10:27AM

just eat a pound of bacon a day like I do and you will be able to fight off swine flu

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: October 13, 2009 03:04PM

I refuse to take it. Never had a flu shot, never had a problem. What doesn't kill you...

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 13, 2009 03:34PM

If the flu kills me, my genes were not strong enough. Evolution in action. Let it come. Fuck the shots.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: October 13, 2009 03:53PM

"Meanwhile, many respected pediatricians in Fairfax County are recommending against the vaccine"

What's your source for this? I'd like to see it.

You can always play the odds that 1) your kids wont get it and 2) if they do, they won't die from it. To play devil's advocate, did you have any issues with the immunizations the county required for school? If it was the polio vaccine, would you do it?

Posted by: Sick sick sick ()
Date: October 13, 2009 06:01PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the flu kills me, my genes were not strong
> enough. Evolution in action. Let it come. Fuck
> the shots.

And what about Mr. Cobblesworth?

His "little city" will become the equivalent of a ravaged, post-apocalyptic wasteland, in which he suffers a slow, painful death by starvation.

Where is the Master? Surely the Master has not abandoned me?!

You are truly a selfish bastard -- a devil indeed, Mephisto.

Posted by: against the vacine ()
Date: October 13, 2009 10:20PM

The 'Health Ranger' said of the vacine that it identied a large group of really stupid people.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: October 14, 2009 06:29AM

At a Loss Wrote:
> I'm at a loss about what to do about the swine flu
> vaccine for the my children. I had concerns about
> a new vaccine not having a track record (e.g.
> Guardasil and that catastrophe) and when I asked
> our pediatrician she echoed my concerns and said
> that she will not be giving it to her patients or
> her own kids.

I highly doubt this is true. If it is I would do two things
1) Get the swine flu vaccine for you and your kids
2) get a new pediatrician and report the current one to the AMA or other similar medical regulating body

The swine flu vaccine is a no brainer. Get it or you risk so much. And if you have kids hopefully they will grow up smarter than you,

And as far as playing the odds - 10s of millions of people will get it. People will die from it. Count on your kids being among the group that will get it.

If the doc said she will not be giving it or recommending it - that is serious malpractice and worthy of getting her license revoked. And if she has kids, her parenting license should be revoked as well.

If you are over 18 and chose to be stupid and not get it - fine. If you have kids get them vaccinated at the first possible opportunity so they can live to be 18 and make their own stupid decisions.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: October 14, 2009 06:33AM

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: October 14, 2009 06:48AM

This was a rough story to watch. This woman believes she had a reaction to her flu shot.

Woman Says Flu Shot Triggered Rare Disorder
http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=92345&catid=158

She says 10 days after getting a flu shot at a Reston grocery store in August and on her second wedding anniversary she got sick. First, she came down with flu like symptoms, then convulsions and blacking out.

She's seen more than 60 doctors. She says all of them were stumped until Johns Hopkins diagnosed her with dystonia. She believes her flu shot triggered it.

Jennings says, "Nothing else explains such a fast moving neurological damage. The medical hospitals ruled out everything, CAT scans normal, blood normal, MRI normal. The only thing that explains it is the shot caused the neurologic damage."

She says it is a strange disorder where muscles work against each other. She can't walk forward, only backwards. She can run but she can't stop without help. She can whisper but has difficulty speaking. Noises can cause convulsions. Her resting heart rate is 90. When she runs her blood pressure dips to 58. She gets exhausted walking a few steps but she could run for hours.

Drugs such as valium and klonopin that make you sleepy give her energy for hours.

Jennings says the disease is irreversible. Once she loses an ability it doesn't come back. Jennings says there are only three ways you can get dystonia as an adult and they include head trauma, drugs use and poisoning. She says she has not experiences any of that.

There is no cure. One in a million are diagnosed with the disease. She says she just want's healthy people to talk to their doctor and weigh the risk.

While the Centers for Disease Control cannot comment directly on this case, they say they have no knowledge of a link between the flu shot and dystonia.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 06:48AM by Registered Voter.

Posted by: At A Loss ()
Date: October 14, 2009 09:07AM

Well thanks. I was hoping for some unput from other parents who may have similar dilemas concering a hastily manufactured vaccine. I certainly wouldn't consider it stupidity, Fairfaxdude, to question the government, especially after requiring the Guardasil vaccine for our 11 year old girls, and even more so since the recommendations were changing almost daily.

Every year the flu vaccine is newly created for the strain of viruses they expect to be prevalent over the winter. Since the swine flu vaccine is made by the same scientists I don't view this as any different and have concluded that benefits greatly outweigh the risks as with most vaccines.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: October 14, 2009 01:08PM

I'm also at a loss as to whether to get the shot. I'm in an age/health group that for which it's recommended.

However, I have ZERO trust in the US government. Under Dubya, the FDA was a wholly-owned subsidiary of the big pharmaceutical companies....has Obama returned the FDA to the purpose for which it was intended?

I just don't know....

I know the new regime is cracking down on food companies that make drug claims on their packaging (Cheerios lowers your cholesterol 4 percent!, and similar bullshit...)

Posted by: FakeMoses ()
Date: October 14, 2009 01:35PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> If the flu kills me, my genes were not strong
> enough. Evolution in action. Let it come. Fuck
> the shots.

Mephisto, you seem to be quite the fatalist. Earlier today, in this thread - http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/40/255779.html - you posted “So we suck all the oil out of the ground, burn it, and pump the exhaust into our atmosphere. Worst case scenario: global warming kills us all. We become fossils.”

Now this.

You live life on the edge yet enjoy yourself.

If I were Jewish, I'd say "mazel tov."

Date: October 14, 2009 02:27PM

Well, who wants to live forever? Everything gets really boring after 25.

Date: October 14, 2009 02:43PM

Imagine how boring life would be if you were The Highlander.

Date: October 14, 2009 02:47PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> Imagine how boring life would be if you were The
> Highlander.

Seriously. No wonder they killed each other; what else were they gonna do?

Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: October 14, 2009 03:02PM

play solitaire

Date: October 14, 2009 04:12PM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> play solitaire

Yeah, but how long until you're really, really good at Solitaire? How long before it ceases to provide any sort of mental stimulation to stave off the effects of insanity as you watch everyone you love grow old and die around you?

Unless you're an OCD Highlander, but then we start getting into quality of life vs. quantity.

Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: October 14, 2009 04:42PM

you can actually get good at solitaire? i thought it was just luck of the draw. i would say about 24 hours of playing solitaire before you completely lose your mind beyond no return.

on a side note, they only die if they are decapitated right? could a highlander drown? what would happen if they were in a fire?

Date: October 14, 2009 05:32PM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> you can actually get good at solitaire? i thought
> it was just luck of the draw. i would say about 24
> hours of playing solitaire before you completely
> lose your mind beyond no return.

Of course. There's a strategy to every game. If you've got infinity years to work on it, I'm sure even a retarded house cat would get good at it eventually.

I'm ashamed to know the answers to these questions:

> they only die if they are decapitated right?

Yes.

> could a highlander drown?

Nope. The only thing that can kill them is cutting off their head.

> what would happen if they were in a fire?

They heal incredibly fast, so probably just their clothes would burn and it would hurt a lot. If you're talking about a crematorium/rocket ship fire, that would probably count as a decapitation.

Date: October 14, 2009 07:05PM

MrMephisto Wrote:

> > could a highlander drown?
>
> Nope. The only thing that can kill them is
> cutting off their head.
>
> > what would happen if they were in a fire?
>
> They heal incredibly fast, so probably just their
> clothes would burn and it would hurt a lot. If
> you're talking about a crematorium/rocket ship
> fire, that would probably count as a decapitation.

I remember watching that Highlander TV series back in the 90's and I recall that they actually died, but come back to life. Sometimes it seemed like they reanimated quickly, others their body would be there long enough to be taken to the morgue where *surprise* they'd open their eyes and sneak out. I guess it depended on what the plot needed.

One episode had the villian be somebody from Duncan MacLeod's past who he lead a mutiny against and left the villan on a deserted island where he starved to death every few weeks for a couple of years. And I think that once, an immortal burned up, but they never really addressed how he healed. Maybe it was the vampire in the first Blade movie who ran around all charred up for most of the movie after Blade lit his ass up in the first 10 minutes.

How I remember this type of useless information, I'll never know.

Posted by: Doug Flutie Flu ()
Date: March 14, 2020 03:11PM

Is there still time to get the swine flu vaccine? I heard it is spreading rapidly.

Posted by: Jerry ()
Date: March 15, 2020 10:34AM

Doug Flutie Flu Wrote:
> Is there still time to get the swine flu vaccine?
> I heard it is spreading rapidly.

No, we all died from it already.

Posted by: I'm k. I think I'm gay. ()
Date: March 15, 2020 09:24PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.