HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What Ever Happened to Roy Rogers?
Posted by: Address ()
Date: August 29, 2013 11:37AM

It's now the KFC at 6227 Little River Turnpike in Alexandria - southwest "corner" of 236/395 interchange.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJS is Best ()
Date: August 29, 2013 02:47PM

Thanks for the info. Geez...I hope they got a new fridge. I know I saw someone here post that she worked there and they just put metal sheets over the wall. Spooky.

Date: August 29, 2013 02:52PM

Freezer....it would be hard to get that many people in a fridge. Surprised they didn't demo the place. I grew up in the deep South where several people were rounded up and killed pretty much just like this at a Popeye's. It's still there. And I'll still never go in there. And I love chicken...so.

Date: August 29, 2013 03:06PM

No, it was the walk-in fridge (about the size of a small bathroom in a house.) I worked there when it happened. I do remember a steel plate being put in to cover a small area that had several bullet holes. The plate was about 12" square. I don't remember multiple plates that the other poster referred to.

It was shocking when it happened, and now very sad to remember 4 lives cut short. They probably should have bulldozed it instead of reopening.

Date: August 29, 2013 03:21PM

Oh, wait - I just remembered that the freezer was the second part of the walk-in (you had to go thru the fridge to get to the freezer.) I think the plate I remember was on the door to the freezer part.

Not surprisingly, the details have faded with time. It's been 37 years.

Date: August 29, 2013 03:25PM

Do they at least have some sort of memorial there? I also lived right by a Blockbuster where a guy named Donald Ray Wheat killed two customers and two store employees. They moved the blockbuster and it's some sort of urgent care place now. There are four crosses out in front of the building though.

Both the Popeye's killer and Blockbuster killer were sentenced to death. Donald died before they could fry him though.

One of the 4 victims shot multiple times at the Popeye's lived...just like one of the victims in the Roy Rogers....and they were also rounded up into the walk-in freezer.

http://blog.al.com/east-alabama/2013/04/death_row_inmate_loses_appeal.html

http://onlineathens.com/stories/051802/new_20020518040.shtml

Date: August 29, 2013 03:38PM

No memorial that I remember. I went to one of the funerals, but there wasn't any of this candlelight vigil/ perpetual shrine stuff that it so common today.

The place reopened in a pretty short time, maybe a week or so, and it wasn't long after that they arrested a guy who lived in the apartments off Beauregard.

Date: August 29, 2013 03:58PM

It's also weird that there isn't a picture out there of James Breeden. I mean this was 1976, not 1776.

Crazy that you worked there and it reopened so quickly...that must have been very eerie.

Posted by: Fairfax Bob ()
Date: August 29, 2013 07:24PM

LJS is Best Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the current site where the freezer murders
> took place? I've heard a couple different
> location, both KFC I believe.

It was the Roy Rogers on 236 on the right before you turn off for Landmark. On Google maps it looks like there is a KFC there now. Haven't been to that area for like 25 years but I remember the story and location well from when I was young.

Date: August 29, 2013 08:01PM

There were pictures of Breeden in the paper when he was tried. I remember trying to decide if he looked like the artist's sketch.

It was creepy, but I think there was more of a "get-back-to-the-routine" approach to things back then, so it did reopen quickly. Plus, maybe crime scenes were processed faster back then since forensics weren't so advanced - there wouldn't have been as much to do, I guess. However, the Fairfax detectives came by pretty regularly.

Most everybody who worked there moved on pretty quickly. Since we were mostly teenagers there were other jobs to be had and most kids I remember went on to college, some out of the area.

Date: September 05, 2013 08:39AM

I worked at that infamous Roy Rogers near Little River Turnpike in the mid '80s. It was my first job I was fifteen lied about my age, shortly after in order to get a job you had to show your social security card but I only had to fill out the application...aww the good old days. We lived in Bragg Towers at the time. Best was still open in the mall across the street where I would go to kill time xeroxing my hands on their floor models. Anyway I heard about the freezer murders from the first evening I worked there. I believed it a little bit but then I thought it was an old local legend the kids told eachother. It seemed like if the story was true they would have closed the establishment down. It was'nt til I started checking this site out a year ago and cross checking other sites that I found out that this event actually happened.

Yes and Landmark was still an open air plaza mall. They had a show on the radio, can't remember if it was DC101, that played '60s music for like an hour, maybe "flashback" and I would go to the Sears with a couple blank cassettes and tape the show every day. Amazing they never ran me out of there.

Posted by: World Ended in '77 ()
Date: September 05, 2013 08:46AM

Also referring to the Little River Turnpike mall in the 80's, on the side where Best had their store, I remember the mall formed a U-shape. There was a Fayva Shoes, Best Co. in the center, and the right arm of the U there was a Rack Room Shoes, and behind this arm of the mall there was small old decrepit graveyard in the brush. Wonder if it still there. Roy Rogers was across the street from this. Wonder if it is still there.

Posted by: Dave L ()
Date: September 28, 2013 02:46PM

I found my way here via Google Search, because I did work for Jr. Hot Shoppes, Marriot's forerunner in the fast food stakes before Roy's, 22 months from 1972 till October 1974. My store was in Moorestown Mall NJ, was the cheapest place to eat in that mall (which also housed a full-fledged Hot Shoppes), and I got hired the last week of November 1972, which meant Black Friday shoppers. I was put on the grill job the first day, and I lost three pounds the first day! It took a lot of 35 cent cheeseburgers to pull $300+ hours.

Anyway, what brings me here is the frustrating failure of my memory as to what the chain's quarter pound burger was called. They were formed by hand from bulk hamburger, never frozen, and they were damned good. It was either a "Grand Something" or a "Something Grand." Without cheese they went in a red & black wrapper, with cheese a yellow and black. (Oh yeah, they were served on toasted onion rolls too.) I remember the Royal Burger, Pappy Parker's chicken, everything else but the quarter number that I formed and cooked so many of.

I jumped ship to go to work for 7-11 in October 1974, just as my Jr. was scheduled to close up a week and convert to a Roy's, but I was versed in how to work for one thanks to the supervisor schooling my manager had long since sent me to. What a long time ago.

Posted by: Lorton ()
Date: September 28, 2013 03:08PM

The Roy rogers in Masnassas sucks. The one in Fort Hunt is good. The one in Kingstowne is ok. The one near Mount Vernon is ok too. I think there may be a couple more in Northern Va, but I can't think of them right now (I don't feel like googling).

Hardees is owned by the same company that owns Carl's Jr., which we don't have around here. They have the best commercials though.

Posted by: Lorton ()
Date: September 28, 2013 03:18PM

Roy's wife's (Dale) horse was named Buttermilk. His dog was named Bullet. I went to the Roy Rogers museum when I was a kid, I think somewhere in California. His horse, Trigger, Buttermilk, and Bullet are all stuffed, or at least they were in the mid 70's.. His silver dollar decorated cars were there too.

Posted by: Retired Punk ()
Date: September 28, 2013 06:22PM

World Ended in '77 Wrote:
> Also referring to the Little River Turnpike mall
> in the 80's, on the side where Best had their
> store, I remember the mall formed a U-shape.
> There was a Fayva Shoes, Best Co. in the center,
> and the right arm of the U there was a Rack Room
> Shoes, and behind this arm of the mall there was
> small old decrepit graveyard in the brush. Wonder
> if it still there. Roy Rogers was across the
> street from this. Wonder if it is still there.

Roy's is gone, but that little graveyard is still there. I just checked it on google maps. I remember drinking a few beers in the graveyard with the girlfriend one afternoon while waiting for another friend to get off work at Tower Records. Ahh...the good old days.

Posted by: RoadMusings_ ()
Date: September 28, 2013 06:29PM

Isn't there a Roy Rogers in the Franconia area off the Franconia-Springfield Parkway? Or did that close?

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: September 29, 2013 10:41AM

Good thread...loved me some Double R Burgers...circa 1969 ad.
Attachments:
roys2.JPG

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: September 29, 2013 11:18AM

Its on the right on Rt 236 around the entrance to the shopping center with the international food store, I think its a IHop.

The killing's were in 1975 .

Paul Breeden I think thats his name. Dont know if he got out or died in prison, he got life.

Look up Robert Horan Fairfax County Commonwealths Attorney, The case was one of the top 10 worse crimes in FXCI in the 40 years he was CA

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: September 29, 2013 11:21AM

1976 James Breeden sorry to all Paul's

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: September 29, 2013 12:23PM

It is currently the KFC at the intersection of 236 and beauregard street.

Posted by: Royyyy ()
Date: February 15, 2015 10:39AM

I love roy

Posted by: SearchingVA ()
Date: October 22, 2016 12:50PM

Tinabop looking for someone who worked at Roy Rogers's Alexandria 1978. How long did you work there?

Posted by: PPFC ()
Date: November 14, 2021 12:14PM

I believe Roy Rogers in Front Royal sells Pappy Parker fried chicken.

Posted by: Dale + Trigger = ()
Date: November 14, 2021 02:11PM

There are some Roy's around, there are two in lower Alexandria, maybe more.

Posted by: One Roys On Rt 1 Near Ft Belvoir ()
Date: November 17, 2021 12:34AM

One Roys reopening at Belle View center after some place torched and they had to fix about 5 stores up. Roast beef good fixings and Double Bar burgers or R burgers are very good and so is the chicken plus they have hand dipped ice cream and good sides I like Roys and have for decades

Posted by: A Sickness Has Descended On Us ()
Date: November 17, 2021 12:48AM

> Anyone remember the multiple murder at Roy Rogers
> in Landmark? It was a robbery went wrong.

No the killer Breeden did what he planned to do .The SOB escaped the death penalty and I heard he did 25 lousy years it was one of Fxco Com Atty Robert Horan's biggest cases in his 40 years in office and the worst mass murder in Fairfax Counties history till this day

He killed 4 people in cold blood shot in the head in the walk in refrigerator the 5th lived by a miracle then Democrats got rid of the Virginia death penalty a year ago in 2020 , that's as sick as Breedens crime but just look at their worst US president of All Time JOE Biden and the worthless joker Kamal the VP

Thank God Terry McAwfull lost his ass running again for governor this year Democrats have done far too much damage to Virginia

Posted by: A Sickness In Real Life ()
Date: November 17, 2021 01:13AM

The Roy Rodgers murders in 1976 45 years ago now on Rt 236 near Landmark center

James Leroy Breeden 39 was the mass killer who got off easy , no fault of Robert Horan-(D of the OLD SCHOOL) who wanted to send him to the chair as he did a few who did burn

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1977/03/06/healing-after-horror-of-murder/d3cf8c6e-3c31-4b7f-b79d-773e1306d7e9/

"The date - March 6, 1976 - marked the beginning of one of the most grisly and sensational murder cases in Fairfax County history.

Last November, James Leroy Breeden, a 39-year-old Alexandria man who had spent most of his adult life in prison, was convicted of the murders, and the shooting of Julie Nakpodia. He was sentenced to five consecutive life terms and 20 years in jail.

He got off at 25 on parole the sick bastard he killed 3 not 4 and one shot in the head survived he and the "Chillum Thriller " hot rod car Killer on July 4th 1971 in Annandale deserved to be electrocuted this perp also did around 25 and was out so much for justice in Virginia with Democrats

"July 5 NO IT Was July 4th 1971 – 41-year-old Lieutenant Commander William F. Rolland, Sr. and his 19-year-old son Bud (both unarmed) are shot to death to settle a traffic dispute at the intersection of Columbia Pike and Sleepy Hollow Road in Annandale by 27-year-old Roger W. Whitney.[21]"The "Chillum Thriller" of Chillum Maryland by DC to the north from Fractured Fairfax . His car was named Chillum Thriller it had that painted on it

https://www.fracturedfairfax.com/1971.html

Posted by: Not soft on crime but ()
Date: November 17, 2021 07:06AM

The guy should have fried. Since he didn't I have no problem letting him out after 25. 25 is more than enough to keep someone in jail. Why should the taxpayers of Virginia have to keep paying for his upkeep? Why shouldn't we free up his spot in prison to house some other low life who committed his crimes more recently?

Posted by: name ()
Date: November 17, 2021 08:32PM

The full history of Roy Rogers because y'all suck at telling it:

They were bought out by Hardees then Mcdonalds bought the rights to the name.

Eventually, all stores that weren't franchised store closed. Leaving only some in Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.

Around 2010, one of the franchisees bought the name rights back for Roy Rogers Franchise Company, LLC.

Most of the new stores opened were opened by this franchisee who started also allowing a few other franchisees.

They continued to open more stores throughout the 2010s including the ones in Gainsville and Manassass.

Covid hit Roy Rogers hard. A lot of their avid customers are older members of the community who might not be interested in getting fast food out if they aren't allowed to eat in store or have to wear a mask. Since 2020, the Manassass store closed.

I'm surprised the Belle View Roy Rogers didn't close with the lack of drive through.

I grew up with Roy Rogers as the place my parents would drive out of our way to go to! Hoping that their issues are those of the past and they can continue to open new franchisees

Posted by: Older People Know ()
Date: November 19, 2021 11:42PM

Where cheap food that's better for you is at S&W Cafe years ago , Roy Rodgers . The Roast beef is a better heathy choice then burgers but there burghers are very good for quick fast food ones

Posted by: Simply Put ()
Date: November 20, 2021 12:01AM

>Why should the taxpayers of Virginia have to keep paying for his upkeep?

His crime was heinous by far, you can never trust heinous people in prison or out they can kill or harm innocents as long as they live

What Democrats in Virginia and other states should have done is abolish circumstantial only and DNA testing only as the evidence to try someone with a penalty of death, they could have made that life without parole unless new evidence proved them innocent

But for those heinous killers where credible witnesses and the other strong evidences are present including circumstantial and DNA to make a complete iron clad case that proves guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt without malice or prejudice (As in The DA's malice and anti gun prejudice in Kyle Rittenhouses case) that's when the death penalty should still be sought and executed as sentence as soon as possible

Sorry all that does not suit Democrats narrative, that is coddling criminals for votes as felons now can vote in many states . Pity the victims and their loved ones not the criminals who did the deed . Another reason Terry McAuliffe-(D) the felon pardoner of 200000 + felons without checking what they did violent or not reformed or not lost

You attempt to reform all , but when the case involves very heinous crimes of death of victims you execute if you can , they never again will kill if that is carried out

Posted by: Only NOVA Native Left ()
Date: November 20, 2021 08:18AM

name Wrote:
> The full history of Roy Rogers because y'all suck
> at telling it:
>
> They were bought out by Hardees then Mcdonalds
> bought the rights to the name.
>
> Eventually, all stores that weren't franchised
> store closed. Leaving only some in Virginia,
> Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.
>
>
> Around 2010, one of the franchisees bought the
> name rights back for Roy Rogers Franchise Company,
> LLC.
>
> Most of the new stores opened were opened by this
> franchisee who started also allowing a few other
> franchisees.
>
> They continued to open more stores throughout the
> 2010s including the ones in Gainsville and
> Manassass.
>
> Covid hit Roy Rogers hard. A lot of their avid
> customers are older members of the community who
> might not be interested in getting fast food out
> if they aren't allowed to eat in store or have to
> wear a mask. Since 2020, the Manassass store
> closed.
>
> I'm surprised the Belle View Roy Rogers didn't
> close with the lack of drive through.
>
> I grew up with Roy Rogers as the place my parents
> would drive out of our way to go to! Hoping that
> their issues are those of the past and they can
> continue to open new franchisees

Big mistake when RR restaurants were converted to Hardees. It's never been the same even with new RR owners. RR restaurants used to have a decent salad bar and the quality of the hamburger meat was much better than now.

Posted by: Last NOVA Native Left ()
Date: November 20, 2021 08:22AM

name Wrote:
> The full history of Roy Rogers because y'all suck
> at telling it:
>
> They were bought out by Hardees then Mcdonalds
> bought the rights to the name.
>
> Eventually, all stores that weren't franchised
> store closed. Leaving only some in Virginia,
> Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.
>
>
> Around 2010, one of the franchisees bought the
> name rights back for Roy Rogers Franchise Company,
> LLC.
>
> Most of the new stores opened were opened by this
> franchisee who started also allowing a few other
> franchisees.
>
> They continued to open more stores throughout the
> 2010s including the ones in Gainsville and
> Manassass.
>
> Covid hit Roy Rogers hard. A lot of their avid
> customers are older members of the community who
> might not be interested in getting fast food out
> if they aren't allowed to eat in store or have to
> wear a mask. Since 2020, the Manassass store
> closed.
>
> I'm surprised the Belle View Roy Rogers didn't
> close with the lack of drive through.
>
> I grew up with Roy Rogers as the place my parents
> would drive out of our way to go to! Hoping that
> their issues are those of the past and they can
> continue to open new franchisees

Big mistake when Hardees bought and converted RR restaurants to theirs. RR has never been the same since even with the current RR owners. RR used to have a decent salad bar and the quality of the hamburger meat was much better than now.

Posted by: Pappy Parker ()
Date: November 20, 2021 01:59PM

PPFC Wrote:
> I believe Roy Rogers in Front Royal sells Pappy
> Parker fried chicken.

They can't use the name Pappy Parker because it is a Marriott trademark. It is the same recipe from what I understand.

Posted by: kpkht ()
Date: November 20, 2021 02:19PM

Simply Put Wrote:

It isn't about being soft on crime. Its a matter of cost-benefit analysis. I am looking at it and saying given that the guy has been in jail for 25 years, perhaps our at capacity prison system would be better off using his bed for some other prisoner who committed his crime more recently.

Posted by: Nova00 ()
Date: November 20, 2021 05:51PM

The one on Manchester boulevard is still open

Posted by: Thats Good To Know ()
Date: November 20, 2021 10:45PM

I thought they closed after Shoppers left

Posted by: roy slaughters ()
Date: November 21, 2021 02:07PM

Fairfax Bob Wrote:
> LJS is Best Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What is the current site where the freezer
> murders
> > took place? I've heard a couple different
> > location, both KFC I believe.
>
> It was the Roy Rogers on 236 on the right before
> you turn off for Landmark. On Google maps it looks
> like there is a KFC there now. Haven't been to
> that area for like 25 years but I remember the
> story and location well from when I was young.

Ny times 1976,

ALEXANDRIA, Va., March 7 (UPI)—The Fairfax County police searched for clues and suspects today in the fatal shooting early yesterday of four men and the wounding of a woman in the Roy Rogers restaurant.

The survivor, Julie Nakpodia, 22 years old, the wife of one of the victims, was in critical condition today with head wounds. Nurses said the temperature in the freezer congealed her blood and prevented her from bleeding to death. She was conscious long enough to tell officers the assailant was a “rather large” white man from 25 to 30 years old.

The victims were identified as the night manager, Dennis A. Gildea, 36; Richard H. Morefield, 20; Patrick T. Marcil, 22, a Federal Bureau of Investigation employee who moonlighted at the restaurant, and Edward Nakpodia, a Nigerian student at Luther Rice College who had stopped to pick up his wife.

https://www.nytimes.com/1976/03/08/archives/clues-sought-in-the-killing-of-4-in-virginia-restaurant.html

Posted by: marvins mess. ()
Date: November 23, 2021 07:47PM

I remember that place. We got chicken from there and pizza from Starvin Marvin across the street.

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.