HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Knive sharpening
Posted by: dullard ()
Date: November 19, 2016 04:28PM

can someone recommend a good knife sharpening service?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Knive sharpening
Posted by: Maybe ()
Date: November 19, 2016 06:47PM

If we're talking kitchen knives, the Williams-Sonomas in the area offer it once a month. There is usually a little sign on a front window with the date.

Posted by: Country boy ()
Date: November 19, 2016 07:08PM

Get a stone and do it yourself. It's not that hard and your knives will always be sharp.

Posted by: FmLKF ()
Date: November 19, 2016 07:10PM

It's not that hard to do it yourself. You can buy a good whetstone for less than $10. And a 100 youtube videos showing how to do it. Doesn't even take that long.

Posted by: w453452345234 ()
Date: November 19, 2016 08:11PM

There are a lot of videos on YouTube about it and there are some fairly inexpensive stones out there to use. Like almost everything, though, it is a lot more involved than it looks. I've read entire books on the subjects.

If you're sharpening kitchen knives, the above suggestion about Williams&Sonoma sounds like a great idea. Giant used to--many years ago--sharpen knives for customers. Often they're just running them through a Chef's Choice type of machine, which is very simple and which gives a darn good edge quickly. The Chef's Choice is about $150 to $180 on Amazon, but like I say, it's fast and simple and gives a very good edge.

The Worksharp is another interesting system. I've tried the Lansky and didn't have much luck but other folks swear by it.

I have found that if the knives are quite sharp when purchased, it's so much easier to keep them that way. Knives that come quite dull when purchased are often rather difficult to sharpen.

Good luck.

Posted by: PitJ ()
Date: April 24, 2020 11:59AM

Guys, I need your help right now, cause I need to find good pocket knife and I'm only a beginner so I need your professional advice. Thanks!

Posted by: Pedro Manuel ()
Date: April 24, 2020 12:32PM

Machete is my go to knife

Posted by: SanDy ()
Date: April 24, 2020 01:58PM

Hm, I recommend you to check one article https://topmultitool.com/best-otf-knife/ What do you think about it?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.