HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Winpax ()
Date: July 16, 2009 07:37AM

First time poster but long time reader. Please reply if you have something constructive to say.
I have an 8 year old male bichon frise (think 10 lbs white poodle who can never sit still). He has torn his ACL (the ligament in his hind leg)- BOTH of them. He is having surgery at Southpaws on Rt. 50 next month. I am looking for advice- if you have had this done on your pet or you have a friend who did, please post if you can. I'm really looking for recovery time (since both of his legs will be wrapped, how long until he may bear some weight on them?) What was the outcome of the surgery- would you do it again if you had too? Things you would or wouldn't do if you had to do it again. Oh, and the size of your dog. Any advice would be helpful- thanks everyone!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: wuht ()
Date: July 16, 2009 08:18AM

whut did the pet doctr say who is doin teh surgery good luck with your dog i hpe everythin turns out okay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Eastsider ()
Date: July 16, 2009 08:27AM

The dog is almost certainly done for the season. With hard work in physical therapy, he should probably be ready for next year's playoffs.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: July 16, 2009 08:43AM

prayers for you and your dog

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Date: July 16, 2009 09:23AM

Call it the country boy in me, but I would put him down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Chong's Dine and Dash ()
Date: July 16, 2009 09:41AM

We take dog, give you free meal, deal?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Fairfax22032 ()
Date: July 16, 2009 12:50PM

How does a Bichon end up with bilateral ACL tears? I know that they are active, but it is not like they involved commonly engaged in agility trials or fly ball. I have to wonder whether this was really affecting the dog's quality of life since it cannot be an inexpensive surgery - not something where I would put down a dog, but seems sort of over the top to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: July 16, 2009 12:59PM

Winpax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First time poster but long time reader.

You should know exactly what to expect, then!

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 17, 2009 12:21AM

Fairfax22032 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does a Bichon end up with bilateral ACL tears?
> I know that they are active, but it is not like
> they involved commonly engaged in agility trials
> or fly ball. I have to wonder whether this was
> really affecting the dog's quality of life since
> it cannot be an inexpensive surgery - not
> something where I would put down a dog, but seems
> sort of over the top to me.


I am curious about the injury as well. I have two Jack Russells, and an Alaskan Husky, which are all extremely Hyper and active dogs, and they have never received permanent injuries aside from my older JRT who has a compressed Vertebrae (From a fall down stairs as a puppy). Despite the compression, it has no effect on her quality of life, as she jumps and plays like any fun loving dog.

Your dog wasn't run over, was he?

I would like to hear more about this injury, and best of wishes to you and your dog.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Date: July 17, 2009 01:24AM

throw in trash. get new rat from spca

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: clingon ()
Date: July 17, 2009 01:51AM

eight belles it

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Winpax ()
Date: July 17, 2009 07:51AM

I live in Falls Church and have a 1/3 acre in my back yard. It's a bit hilly, lots of trees and ivy. He plays rough with my dachshund; digs lots of holes in the yard, is very jumpy- like he's on a springboard, and jumps off of furniture and the bed. He's small for a Bichon- about 9 lbs and less than 1ft high. My dogs also have a doggie door that they have to hop through to get outside, which they do a lot. The bichon is a rescue- he was almost 2 when I got him so I don't know what his history was before me. A few things though- when I first got him, he could jump up to my shoulder, and I am 5ft4. He's would also run in and out of the house once he saw the mail man, the UPS truck, other pets, the doorbell ring, etc. This is the main reason for the dog door- he loves to run in and out (at least he rarely barks). He's a very social dog, very hyper until his back legs went. First he was holding the left leg up (around March); the vet said it was his CCL and to carry him, restrict his running. This seemed to help, but then he started holding up the right leg (early May). Back to the vet, same advice. Late June the vet suggested the surgery and August works best for my schedule. The reason I posted was to see if anyone had any advice- Fairfax is huge, somebody had to have done this on their dog before. Of course, I knew posting might make some idiot too excited that he probably giggled his way through typing some moronic response. To those who actually wrote something sincere and polite, thank you- I was hoping for a few 'normal' people to write in. As for the rest, I hope you never have an actually problem or issue because what comes around, goes around.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: ecg ()
Date: July 17, 2009 10:07AM

My in-laws have a small breed dog - a mix of jack russell and something else. He tore the ACL in his left knee and had to have a TPLO ACL repair. They kept him confined to a carpeted room with nothing for him to jump on for 8 weeks and then minimal activity for 4 more weeks. Now you can't even tell he had anything done!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Ruff Times ()
Date: July 17, 2009 10:51AM

We had a Bichon who also tore ligaments in both hind legs. He had a problem with the left hind leg for several months before developing a similar problem with the right hind leg. The symptoms you described with your dog sound similar to what we experienced. Based on the information I was able to find when we went though this, it appears this type of injury is often the result of long term “wear and tear” but can be caused by a single event, as well.

Do you know what type of surgery the vet is planning to perform? There are a few different options. I also believe the expected recovery time can vary depending on what type of procedure is performed.

We decided to have surgery performed on both legs at the same time. Our dog had the TPLO (Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy) procedure performed. The surgery helped. But our dog continued to have some problems with the left leg. Follow up x-rays showed the surgery went well. But our dog had a lot of arthritis in the left leg, which probably made things difficult. Our dog’s recovery seemed to go a bit slower than expected. Our dog was also a rescue, so we were unsure of his exact age, but we think he was probably between 9 and 11 years old when he had the surgery. He weighed around 11 or 12 pounds. I think the combination of our dog’s age, his pre-existing arthritis problems in the left leg, and the fact that he had surgery on both legs at the same time made recovery go slower than normal. Our dog was put on Previcox after the surgery, with the hope that we would eventually be able to wean him off the medication. Unfortunately, our dog always seemed to have problems with limping and stiffness, especially in the left leg, whenever we tried to wean him off the medication, so he remained on it for the rest of his life.

About 9 to 12 months after the surgery, our dog started to have seizures, and then later he developed some problems with his kidneys. He only lived for about another six months after those problems got bad. I think the surgery and recovery process was tough on him, but I also believe we did the right thing by giving him a chance at a better life by having the surgery. Although our dog never regained his ability to jump or climb stairs, as we hoped he would, and his recovery was long and hard, he did run around the yard a few times and had a lot of good days, so I am grateful for that. I do not regret doing what we did. If I am ever faced with the same situation in the future, I would probably have the surgery performed again.

If you are having doubts about going through with the surgery, or about which procedure you should have performed, the best thing I can suggest is that you do as much research as possible to educate yourself. That way you might have a better idea about what to expect as far as how your dog’s recovery process might go and what his prognosis will be for having an active life. You may also wish to consider getting an opinion from a few surgeons or vets, especially if you have any unresolved questions or concerns about what you have been told thus far. One thing I would suggest is that, if you have the surgery performed, it would be best to have someone be home with your dog, if possible, while he recovers. That way you can keep an eye on him and hopefully make sure he doesn’t do too much too soon. If you have any other specific questions, please feel free to post them and I will attempt to respond when I can.

I wish you and your dog the best of luck.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: LOLcat ()
Date: July 17, 2009 11:33AM

ShooooOooooot IIIIIIIIIIIT! with yer legally purchased fire arm dat iz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Winpax ()
Date: July 17, 2009 11:46AM

Thank you Ruff Times- your posting was very helpful what with you also having a Bichon. I am hoping that since this started in March, I am getting the surgery done before TOO much damage is done. I've read that arthitis in 100% after the surgery but at least the tear(s) are fixed.
I plan to board him for 1 wk after his surgery- for 'just in case' type of thing. After that week, I will take 1 1/2 weeks off and be with him. My husband works from home, so he'll be there after that. Since I am more of the caregiver to my dogs, I feel more comfortable being there for him when he comes home. My parents live in Arlington, they're retired and volunteered to watch him 24/7 for a week or 2 that way we can have a little break. I know this will be long, but he's just too young and too sweet to put down.
Thanks again everyone! Your advice and posts have helped.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Been there, done that ()
Date: July 17, 2009 03:10PM

Ok, I have a 100 pound dog that tore his ACL about a year and a half ago. I never had surgery performed on him. What I would do is this. Start feeding your dog a raw diet. Yes, I said feed him a raw diet. It is so much better for your dog in that, it is what they are meant to eat, you will not have to deal with the carbohydrates that they put into dog food. Carbs are particularly bad for dogs in that they cause a dog to gain weight, contribute to cancer (cancer feeds off of sugar,and carbs are sugars), increases inflammation in the body which will accelerate arthritis in the joints. I know its hard to phatom raw food for your dog but, it will not turn them into a blood thirsty killer. Secondly, put about a tsp. of salmon oil on your dogs food whenever you feed it. Make sure to keep the weight down as well. Lastly, give your dog glucosamine and MSM daily. You can get it at Costco. If you do these things, I can promise you your dog will recover very well. Oh and lastly, do not feed your dog every day. Make one day a day where all you give it are soup bones. When the digestive system has a chance to relax, the dog's body will divert more energy toward detoxing itself and healing injuries. I hope this helps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Wtf ()
Date: July 17, 2009 08:36PM

Been there, done that Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, I have a 100 pound dog that tore his ACL about
> a year and a half ago. I never had surgery
> performed on him. What I would do is this. Start
> feeding your dog a raw diet. Yes, I said feed him
> a raw diet. It is so much better for your dog in
> that, it is what they are meant to eat, you will
> not have to deal with the carbohydrates that they
> put into dog food. Carbs are particularly bad for
> dogs in that they cause a dog to gain weight,
> contribute to cancer (cancer feeds off of
> sugar,and carbs are sugars), increases
> inflammation in the body which will accelerate
> arthritis in the joints. I know its hard to
> phatom raw food for your dog but, it will not turn
> them into a blood thirsty killer. Secondly, put
> about a tsp. of salmon oil on your dogs food
> whenever you feed it. Make sure to keep the
> weight down as well. Lastly, give your dog
> glucosamine and MSM daily. You can get it at
> Costco. If you do these things, I can promise you
> your dog will recover very well. Oh and lastly,
> do not feed your dog every day. Make one day a
> day where all you give it are soup bones. When
> the digestive system has a chance to relax, the
> dog's body will divert more energy toward detoxing
> itself and healing injuries. I hope this helps.

Worst advice ever, take your hollistic medicine bullshit and go fuck yourself. They dog tore it's cruciate and your cure is eating raw meat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: July 17, 2009 11:22PM

Been there, done that Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, I have a 100 pound dog that tore his ACL about
> a year and a half ago. I never had surgery
> performed on him. What I would do is this. Start
> feeding your dog a raw diet. Yes, I said feed him
> a raw diet. It is so much better for your dog in
> that, it is what they are meant to eat, you will
> not have to deal with the carbohydrates that they
> put into dog food. Carbs are particularly bad for
> dogs in that they cause a dog to gain weight,
> contribute to cancer (cancer feeds off of
> sugar,and carbs are sugars), increases
> inflammation in the body which will accelerate
> arthritis in the joints. I know its hard to
> phatom raw food for your dog but, it will not turn
> them into a blood thirsty killer. Secondly, put
> about a tsp. of salmon oil on your dogs food
> whenever you feed it. Make sure to keep the
> weight down as well. Lastly, give your dog
> glucosamine and MSM daily. You can get it at
> Costco. If you do these things, I can promise you
> your dog will recover very well. Oh and lastly,
> do not feed your dog every day. Make one day a
> day where all you give it are soup bones. When
> the digestive system has a chance to relax, the
> dog's body will divert more energy toward detoxing
> itself and healing injuries. I hope this helps.


I would still do the surgery, after finding the best surgeon for that particular procedure in the area.

If it was simply a sprain, and not a complete tear, then yes, feeding the dog better, getting a few pounds off and feeding glucosamine and MSM would be a good first attempt to resolve. I've done that with one of my dogs who sprained his right ACL.

But a raw or as close to raw diet as possible is definitely better for dogs in the long run. Feeding Purina and all the other commercial foods you find in the grocery store to your dog would be like feeding yourself from your neighbor's garbage can and things you find on the side of the road (because that is exactly what goes into the commercial dog foods.) You can find better quality "commercial" foods at pet stores and online (but they will still be highly processed).

I feed my dogs Nutro and Wellness, but it is only about 1/4 of their whole diet.

The rest of their diet consists of either boiled chicken, raw beef or occassionaly chicken necks, green beans, brussel sprouts, lima beans, carrots, spinach, salmon oil (I just give them 1000mg human capsules), a third of a Move Free (MSM/Glucosamine/Chondroiton), a teaspoon of olive oil, a teaspoon of unpasteurized yogurt made from grass-fed milk (the probiotics help them digest raw veggies better), and occassionally as a treat they get a frozen marrow bone (keeps them busy for about an hour or so.)

It's actually cheaper to feed your dog whole foods rather than buying bags of commercial dog food. You can get chicken breasts for as low as $1.69 a pound, boil up a week or more worth in a short time, freeze it and then defrost two or three day's worth at a time. Same with beef. Buy whatever cut is on sale, a steak costing less than $10 can feed two 20 lbs dogs for a week. Just cut it up into bite sized cubes, bag up a day or two's worth in each bag, and freeze (it's supposedly a good idea to freeze the raw meat to kill parasites). Bags of frozen green beans are like $.99 each, maybe $1.49, and last about 4 days for two 20 lbs dogs.

Plus, when you're trying to get weight off a dog, the best thing you can do is fill them up on green beans, an entire bag of green beans is about 30 calories.

My dogs only go to the vets for booster shots and injuries. Never any illnesses or degenerative issues. The vet always remarks at how healthy they look compared to many of the dogs he sees. Thick shiny coats, bright, tear-stain free eyes, good muscle tone and waistlines.

And they love their food. You can tell what they value more by what they eat first (yogurt, then raw beef, then the various veggies, then the dry dog food.)

I have heard a lot of people say "but when you feed them 'people food' won't that teach them to beg at the table?" -- no. A dog that has never received food from the table will NEVER expect food from the table. Once a dog receives food from the table, he will ALWAYS expect food from the table. My dogs have no idea this is "people food", and they've never eaten it anywhere besides from their very own dog dish (they don't even think to steal from the other dog, they know who's bowl belongs to who). They even lay on the empty chairs at the dinner table when we eat dinner, and we never hear a peep out of them.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2009 11:38PM by Thurston Moore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: yea ()
Date: July 17, 2009 11:50PM

hooray 4 thurston...now go take a bong hit and play with your doggies!



Thurston Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Been there, done that Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ok, I have a 100 pound dog that tore his ACL
> about
> > a year and a half ago. I never had surgery
> > performed on him. What I would do is this.
> Start
> > feeding your dog a raw diet. Yes, I said feed
> him
> > a raw diet. It is so much better for your dog
> in
> > that, it is what they are meant to eat, you
> will
> > not have to deal with the carbohydrates that
> they
> > put into dog food. Carbs are particularly bad
> for
> > dogs in that they cause a dog to gain weight,
> > contribute to cancer (cancer feeds off of
> > sugar,and carbs are sugars), increases
> > inflammation in the body which will accelerate
> > arthritis in the joints. I know its hard to
> > phatom raw food for your dog but, it will not
> turn
> > them into a blood thirsty killer. Secondly,
> put
> > about a tsp. of salmon oil on your dogs food
> > whenever you feed it. Make sure to keep the
> > weight down as well. Lastly, give your dog
> > glucosamine and MSM daily. You can get it at
> > Costco. If you do these things, I can promise
> you
> > your dog will recover very well. Oh and
> lastly,
> > do not feed your dog every day. Make one day a
> > day where all you give it are soup bones. When
> > the digestive system has a chance to relax, the
> > dog's body will divert more energy toward
> detoxing
> > itself and healing injuries. I hope this
> helps.
>
>
> I would still do the surgery, after finding the
> best surgeon for that particular procedure in the
> area.
>
> If it was simply a sprain, and not a complete
> tear, then yes, feeding the dog better, getting a
> few pounds off and feeding glucosamine and MSM
> would be a good first attempt to resolve. I've
> done that with one of my dogs who sprained his
> right ACL.
>
> But a raw or as close to raw diet as possible is
> definitely better for dogs in the long run.
> Feeding Purina and all the other commercial foods
> you find in the grocery store to your dog would be
> like feeding yourself from your neighbor's garbage
> can and things you find on the side of the road
> (because that is exactly what goes into the
> commercial dog foods.) You can find better
> quality "commercial" foods at pet stores and
> online (but they will still be highly processed).
>
>
> I feed my dogs Nutro and Wellness, but it is only
> about 1/4 of their whole diet.
>
> The rest of their diet consists of either boiled
> chicken, raw beef or occassionaly chicken necks,
> green beans, brussel sprouts, lima beans, carrots,
> spinach, salmon oil (I just give them 1000mg human
> capsules), a third of a Move Free
> (MSM/Glucosamine/Chondroiton), a teaspoon of olive
> oil, a teaspoon of unpasteurized yogurt made from
> grass-fed milk (the probiotics help them digest
> raw veggies better), and occassionally as a treat
> they get a frozen marrow bone (keeps them busy for
> about an hour or so.)
>
> It's actually cheaper to feed your dog whole foods
> rather than buying bags of commercial dog food.
> You can get chicken breasts for as low as $1.69 a
> pound, boil up a week or more worth in a short
> time, freeze it and then defrost two or three
> day's worth at a time. Same with beef. Buy
> whatever cut is on sale, a steak costing less than
> $10 can feed two 20 lbs dogs for a week. Just cut
> it up into bite sized cubes, bag up a day or two's
> worth in each bag, and freeze (it's supposedly a
> good idea to freeze the raw meat to kill
> parasites). Bags of frozen green beans are like
> $.99 each, maybe $1.49, and last about 4 days for
> two 20 lbs dogs.
>
> Plus, when you're trying to get weight off a dog,
> the best thing you can do is fill them up on green
> beans, an entire bag of green beans is about 30
> calories.
>
> My dogs only go to the vets for booster shots and
> injuries. Never any illnesses or degenerative
> issues. The vet always remarks at how healthy
> they look compared to many of the dogs he sees.
> Thick shiny coats, bright, tear-stain free eyes,
> good muscle tone and waistlines.
>
> And they love their food. You can tell what they
> value more by what they eat first (yogurt, then
> raw beef, then the various veggies, then the dry
> dog food.)
>
> I have heard a lot of people say "but when you
> feed them 'people food' won't that teach them to
> beg at the table?" -- no. A dog that has never
> received food from the table will NEVER expect
> food from the table. Once a dog receives food
> from the table, he will ALWAYS expect food from
> the table. My dogs have no idea this is "people
> food", and they've never eaten it anywhere besides
> from their very own dog dish (they don't even
> think to steal from the other dog, they know who's
> bowl belongs to who). They even lay on the empty
> chairs at the dinner table when we eat dinner, and
> we never hear a peep out of them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: July 17, 2009 11:51PM

Oh yeah, it wasn't a sprain, it was a partial tear of the ACL. The vet said that since it was still partially attached, it was better to see if it could heal on it's own. A full tear means (I believe) that a surgeon needs to restretch the now retracted ligaments and reattach them. When they are only partially torn, there is no retraction since it is still, at least partially, attached.

"Been there, done that", it sounds like your dog only had a partial tear. I think that's the only way you can hope for it to heal on its own.

In my case, the vet wanted to prescribe a pain killer, but I was concerned that if he didn't feel the pain, he might end up tearing it completely. The vet agreed and I just gave him the Move Free, and started him on a diet. He lost 2 pounds (10 percent of his body weight) and it healed in about a week and a half.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: July 17, 2009 11:54PM

yea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hooray 4 thurston...now go take a bong hit and
> play with your doggies!
>
>

Really, if you are not Inkahootz or Alias, you do a good job impersonating them.

Is it truly necessary that anyone who posts anything serious must have a troll start acting like a little 12 year old?

And actually, I apologize, alias, you actually do attempt to engage in discussion MOST OF THE TIME.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: notinka ()
Date: July 18, 2009 12:00AM

Thurston Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yea Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > hooray 4 thurston...now go take a bong hit and
> > play with your doggies!
> >
> >
>
> Really, if you are not Inkahootz or Alias, you do
> a good job impersonating them.


ROTFL...douche

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: July 18, 2009 12:21AM

notinka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> ROTFL...douche

You roll on the floor, laughing. Then you douche?

Hey, if your vagina smells, you gotta douche, right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Alias ()
Date: July 18, 2009 02:37AM

]



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 11:08AM by Alias.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: July 18, 2009 04:08AM

Alias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thurston,
>
> I think my dog is displaying signs of depression.
> When I throw a ball, she still runs after it,
> but, often, it’s more like a fast walk. She picks
> at her dinner, sometimes ignoring the meal,
> entirely. She still wags her tail, but it’s a sad
> wag.
>
> Would my dog benefit from a few sessions with a
> counselor?

i think you should kill your dog along with yourself. your dog is picking up on your subtle cues which causes its own depression. so do your dog a favor.. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: July 18, 2009 04:39AM

Alias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thurston,
>
> I think my dog is displaying signs of depression.
> When I throw a ball, she still runs after it,
> but, often, it’s more like a fast walk. She picks
> at her dinner, sometimes ignoring the meal,
> entirely. She still wags her tail, but it’s a sad
> wag.
>
> Would my dog benefit from a few sessions with a
> counselor?


Alias,

Your dog is suffering from being owned by you.

I think you should hold your breath for a really long time.

Dude, seriously, you occassionaly engage in a discussion. Then you sometimes troll. Pick your poison. It is really hard to discuss things with you when you so often troll.

You have some really valid ideas, even if I disagree, it would be nice to be able to discuss instead of dismissing you as a troll.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Alias ()
Date: July 19, 2009 02:43AM

\



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 03:50PM by Alias.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Alias Mirror Site ()
Date: July 19, 2009 03:04AM

>I think my dog is displaying signs of depression. When I throw a ball, she still runs after it, but, often, it’s more like a fast walk. She picks at her dinner, sometimes ignoring the meal, entirely. She still wags her tail, but it’s a sad wag.<

These are your perceptions, not reality.

You see a "sad wag" because you yourself are sad.

The wag is the same as it ever was.

Alternatively, the dog senses your different attitude towards it, and is behaving differently... confused... unsure what it means "to be a dog."

Do you know what it means to be a dog?

Perhaps if you did you would be less judgmental.

Perhaps if you finally admitted that you hate the dog because you hate yourself.

That would be progress, at least.

THE ALIAS SAILA EHT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: puppylover ()
Date: July 20, 2009 04:26AM

Have you had a second opinion? I highly suggest the vets at Parkway Vets in Burke. You must follow your gut when it comes to your beloved pets and a second opinion could never hurt.

I wish you the best of luck with the surgery and a speedy recovery. Be well!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: donkeytimes ()
Date: July 20, 2009 09:35AM

I do not have a dog currently, but I do know Southpaws is clearly the best animal hospital around, feel good knowing they will do the best they can for you animal.

Good luck, you pup will be fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: P More ()
Date: July 20, 2009 02:48PM

Two years ago our then 11 year -old golden-collie mix had tplo done on the rear left at South Paws. South Paws was great, and he recovered well. It takes a while and the restrictions aren't fun-two legs I don't know if it would be worse than 1, they walk on it right away. Unfortunately today I am extremely unhappy to see the same symptoms on the other leg and am searching the internet for alternate treatments or locations that are not so costly. South Paws is terrific if $4,000.00 is easy to pay. Especially since our dog is 13 now another $4,000.00 is alot. Some sites say that f the dog is over 6 to do something else. I won't just let it go, but I am open to other ideas, also because surgery is so hard on them the older they get,so I am going to spend the day exploring the web I think. There is a new procedure ("TTA") (Albemarle Vet Health Center does it, apparently only 10 locales in Va do, but I can't imagine South Paws isn't one of them) is less invasive (although not all dogs qualify). Albemarle just called me back and said it wouldn't be $4,000.00 there (the D.C. area is so expensive compared to most places). I think I am going to drive the extra time and take my dog to Albemarle tomorrow for a look and estimate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: P More ()
Date: July 20, 2009 04:09PM

For a different (and informative) view on TPLO, a link I encountered:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tiggerpoz/index.html

Everything I read seems to agree that smaller dogs have better outcomes with conservative management (activity restriction instead of surgery), so maybe you might want to try that first.
As I said, my dog did great after recovery but the surgery was hard on him, and I now realize other dogs do not all do so great, and maybe it is not necessary for every case.

Also, maybe not right in your case, but braces seem to be a good alternative for older dogs, and also to aid in healing. see orthopets.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: P More ()
Date: July 20, 2009 04:11PM

That link did not go through completely. Trying again

http://home.earthlink.net/~tiggerpoz/index.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: P more ()
Date: July 20, 2009 04:12PM

Don't know why the link keeps abbreviating, but when I click on it it does link through.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 22, 2009 09:14PM

Winpax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in Falls Church and have a 1/3 acre in my
> back yard. It's a bit hilly, lots of trees and
> ivy. He plays rough with my dachshund; digs lots
> of holes in the yard, is very jumpy- like he's on
> a springboard, and jumps off of furniture and the
> bed. He's small for a Bichon- about 9 lbs and less
> than 1ft high. My dogs also have a doggie door
> that they have to hop through to get outside,
> which they do a lot. The bichon is a rescue- he
> was almost 2 when I got him so I don't know what
> his history was before me. A few things though-
> when I first got him, he could jump up to my
> shoulder, and I am 5ft4. He's would also run in
> and out of the house once he saw the mail man, the
> UPS truck, other pets, the doorbell ring, etc.
> This is the main reason for the dog door- he loves
> to run in and out (at least he rarely barks). He's
> a very social dog, very hyper until his back legs
> went. First he was holding the left leg up (around
> March); the vet said it was his CCL and to carry
> him, restrict his running. This seemed to help,
> but then he started holding up the right leg
> (early May). Back to the vet, same advice. Late
> June the vet suggested the surgery and August
> works best for my schedule. The reason I posted
> was to see if anyone had any advice- Fairfax is
> huge, somebody had to have done this on their dog
> before. Of course, I knew posting might make some
> idiot too excited that he probably giggled his way
> through typing some moronic response. To those
> who actually wrote something sincere and polite,
> thank you- I was hoping for a few 'normal' people
> to write in. As for the rest, I hope you never
> have an actually problem or issue because what
> comes around, goes around.


That's really wild that your dog just started with the tears out of nowhere. I guess if he was born with, or developed, weak tendons it might be a possible cause. The only other cause would seem to be some repeated action which he took part in that caused it. Keep us updated on the details, and again, Best of Luck!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: July 22, 2009 11:18PM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> That's really wild that your dog just started with
> the tears out of nowhere. I guess if he was born
> with, or developed, weak tendons it might be a
> possible cause. The only other cause would seem to
> be some repeated action which he took part in that
> caused it. Keep us updated on the details, and
> again, Best of Luck!

Doggy doors can sometimes be the cause.

You're supposed to install the door at a certain height based on your dog's height. If you have different sized dogs, the shorter of them is going to be at a (slightly) increased risk for ACL tears or sore back legs from smacking into the bottom edge of the door frame.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Alias ()
Date: July 24, 2009 02:06AM

]



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 03:57PM by Alias.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: July 24, 2009 02:37AM

Alias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doggy doors?
>
> Kids and dogs are home alone.
>
> Just make sure they eat organic food.


Latchkey dogs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Alias ()
Date: July 24, 2009 03:10AM

'



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 04:38PM by Alias.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Winpax ()
Date: July 24, 2009 08:45AM

Update-
Okay, so Winston in scheduled for surgery mid-August. He's not having TPLO he's having "Cruciate Bilateral".... I am not sure on the name. It's less expensive than TPLO, same results, a little less rehab time (still about 3-4 months for normal activity), but this kind is a bit easier on smaller dogs. For both knees it will be $3,746.70- $3,831.70. Since it's both legs, he will stay overnight 2 nights.
Just to clarify a few things, the dog door is about 3 inches off the door, so it's not very high off the ground for him to jump through. Then again, he's a Bichon- he jumps all over the place and can't sit still even when he's hurting.
He's not overweight since he's so active, so no issues there. The doc said that over time, ccl/acl tears just happen. Jumping off the bed, jumping to grab a treat, running up or down stairs- it just happens. Sometimes with a lot of 'rest'- meaning you lock the dog up for a week and keep it's movements down to a minimum, the tear will kinda heal on it's own if it's not too bad. This just didn't happen w/us.
Another issue with these types of injuries is the cartilage is soft tissue and doesn't come up in x-rays so they have to do an mri- about $2,200. I didn't do this b/c the doc did a few tests and you can tell that the diagnosis was correct. I'm obviously not an expert, but with all the reading of done on this, I know it isn't anything else.
I want to thank those again with the sincere comments and advice- I knew there had to be a few of you out there!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: donkeytimes ()
Date: July 24, 2009 09:10AM

Good luck Winston and Winpax.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Old Yeller ()
Date: July 24, 2009 09:14AM

Take the dog out by the wood shed shot it. You act as if the dog is a person.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: donkeytimes ()
Date: July 24, 2009 09:50AM

Old Yeller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take the dog out by the wood shed shot it. You
> act as if the dog is a person.


That's the spirit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: donkeytimes ()
Date: July 24, 2009 09:53AM

I would also add, I care for animals often than some people when they act or say ignorant things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Old Yeller ()
Date: July 24, 2009 10:05AM

donkeytimes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would also add, I care for animals often than
> some people when they act or say ignorant things.

A few too many cats at your house?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: donkeytimes ()
Date: July 24, 2009 02:08PM

Leave the animals out of this Old Yeller, you damn fool.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: July 24, 2009 02:22PM

I recommend giving it to the Super H mart on 29.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Porksta ()
Date: July 24, 2009 06:47PM

Oddly enough my Bichon has also torn out both his hind ACLs. It happened a while back so I cannot remember exactly how ling it was, but they have never retorn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Date: July 24, 2009 07:05PM

What the OP doesn't reveal is that the dog tore his ACL while trying to seal the gap on a Cover-2 from the weak-side CB position at Redskins training camp.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: PresaCanario ()
Date: July 25, 2009 12:38AM

Not ACL but had TPO surgery for my dog at Southpaws.

They are awesome and I would not hesitate to use them again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Alias ()
Date: July 28, 2009 03:32PM

;l



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 07:44PM by Alias.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: July 28, 2009 10:27PM

Alias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ****UPDATE****
>
> Thurston,
>
> Your analysis of my behavior and its detrimental
> influence upon my dog hit hard. I put myself on a
> ten day, be nice and smile plan and I think it has
> made a difference. My dog, my cats and even my
> beloved zebra finch have all perked up. (I
> haven't noticed any change with the fish or mice.)
> You've probably noticed that I have become a
> kinder and gentler poster here at FU. So, thank
> you for helping me understand myself.
>
> This is "Little Bird" flying around. She's like a
> new bird!


That's great. Glad I could help.

Don't forget to thank bloodyblisters, too. He came up with the original diagnosis.

Hopefully the mice will respond, soon. I doubt the fish will, they seem to be in their own little world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Alias Mirror Site ()
Date: July 28, 2009 10:44PM

>I put myself on a ten day, be nice and smile plan and I think it has made a difference. My dog, my cats and even my beloved zebra finch have all perked up.<

These perceived changes in behavior are doubtless purely imaginary.

In the unlikely event they're not, probably your pretending to act "as if" you are a normal human being has freed your pets from their existential crises, allowing them to behave "naturally" and "instinctively" as a dog, a cat, a finch, and so forth.

If they realize you're faking it, however, the results will be disastrous, and probably irreparable.

In other words, the mask you now wear -- you must never remove it.

THE ALIAS SAILA EHT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: TB ()
Date: April 23, 2014 11:37AM

Yes, my 9 year old Bichon just had two ACL reconstructive surgeries one week apart. He tore one ACL and when he got home from the surgery the other one tore. He is now 4 weeks post-op and doing much better. It has been really tough on him and me. The first few weeks were so hard as he needed constant attention so my surgeon kept him for a week after surgery and I keep him at my regular vet during the day while I am at work to be sure he stays safe and can heal. The ACL reconstructions were extracapsular repairs. The cost was high and in total I probably will spend $5000 total. So worth it - but patience and a lot of TLC is required. I have another 9 year old Bichon at home and only pray that she stays healthy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: rIM tIN tIN ()
Date: April 23, 2014 12:33PM

Thank you so much for reviving a FIVE YEAR OLD THREAD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: Hmmmmm ()
Date: April 23, 2014 12:34PM

Winpax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First time poster but long time reader. Please
> reply if you have something constructive to say.
> I have an 8 year old male bichon frise (think 10
> lbs white poodle who can never sit still). He has
> torn his ACL (the ligament in his hind leg)- BOTH
> of them. He is having surgery at Southpaws on Rt.
> 50 next month. I am looking for advice- if you
> have had this done on your pet or you have a
> friend who did, please post if you can. I'm really
> looking for recovery time (since both of his legs
> will be wrapped, how long until he may bear some
> weight on them?) What was the outcome of the
> surgery- would you do it again if you had too?
> Things you would or wouldn't do if you had to do
> it again. Oh, and the size of your dog. Any advice
> would be helpful- thanks everyone!


You'd be better off asking the dog than asking for factual information on this board.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: It's a toss up ()
Date: April 24, 2014 10:18AM

Spend $5k for surgery on your Bichon or feed 50 starving children in Kenya for a year? You can be sure that diehard Libs will choose the dog.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ACL tear in small dog- any advice
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 24, 2014 06:55PM

5 grand? For a fucking dog? This is why other countries laugh at us.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 ********   ******    **    **  **     **  **     ** 
 **        **    **    **  **    **   **   ***   *** 
 **        **           ****      ** **    **** **** 
 ******    **   ****     **        ***     ** *** ** 
 **        **    **      **       ** **    **     ** 
 **        **    **      **      **   **   **     ** 
 ********   ******       **     **     **  **     ** 
This forum powered by Phorum.