HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Re: need to build a sonic in the area
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: June 17, 2009 04:04PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 07:11AM by WingNut.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good Computer Shop in Falls Church or Annandale?
Posted by: Furfur ()
Date: June 17, 2009 04:09PM

Have you tried Micro Center? People there seem a little more knowlegable than Best Buy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." - Anton Lavey

Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: June 17, 2009 04:16PM

Furfur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you tried Micro Center? People there seem a
> little more knowlegable than Best Buy.

I'd say they are basically the same as BB. And SLOW--if you need it fixed fast.

Call CedarPC.com, in the cedar park shopping center in Vienna. 703-208-0858.

Ask for "Tea" one of the owners. 2 locations, small Asian-family owned. They will fix it, test it, and get it back to you fast. ASk about thier workload, they'll basically tell you when they can get to it.

And you won't get upsold or bullshitted. Unless you ask them to.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: June 17, 2009 04:37PM

Ive actually heard about them as well. Uber-quick was the way it was described to me.

Date: June 17, 2009 04:43PM

Well its a small operation, so workload is key. If they're busy on any given day, you might be stuck with BB/Microcenter response times.

But I'd rather spend money at a small business like theirs any day over the other alternatives.

Usually have a good deal running on typical peripherals, monitors, etc, also.

Date: June 17, 2009 05:35PM

Furfur Wrote:
> Have you tried Micro Center? People there seem a
> little more knowlegable than Best Buy.

I bought one there at Pan Am a few years ago and had the same impression, but was curious what the other options were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 07:11AM by WingNut.

Date: June 17, 2009 05:41PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 07:10AM by WingNut.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 17, 2009 05:50PM

Computer Warehouse in the Tysons part of Falls Church.

http://www.pcretro.com/computer-warehouse

Knowledgeable staff, always been very helpful. I've actually taken things in there on a weekend, and they popped the case right then and there to run some diagnostics.

It's in the Tysons Station shopping center along Rt. 7, across from Idylwood Plaza.

Date: June 17, 2009 06:03PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 07:10AM by WingNut.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 17, 2009 06:09PM

I know a dude at pcretro (grew up with him).. the same company as computer warehouse. he says they do good repair work, and he's a knowledgeable dude, so....

Posted by: ffxstoner ()
Date: June 17, 2009 06:20PM

Fix it yourself. If you just want to make your computer faster buy some ram a gig will cost you no more then $40. Post your specs and ill tell you what kind of ram you need. If you want to go further on upgrade your processor you can get a nice daul core for under $200 that will make your computer fly. Now if your having virus or spyware troubles its easiest if you just do a system recovery if you don't want to lose all your data you can try a system restore. Start > run > msconfig system restore. I would do a system recovery most likely your pc is filled with crap you don't need and its slowing it down.

Border Security is CHEAPER Than Wars
Date: June 17, 2009 06:38PM

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 07:05PM by WingNut.

`
Date: June 17, 2009 06:40PM

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 07:15AM by WingNut.

Date: June 17, 2009 06:45PM

Whats your pc model? Go to start>run>dxdiag you can see the model. You can put upto 2 gigs probably. Is it it just pentium or pentium 4 or something if its just pentium your processor is old as fuck.

Date: June 17, 2009 07:08PM

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 07:14AM by WingNut.

Date: June 17, 2009 07:20PM

Oh its a pentium D. No that's good those are new still being sold today. Get more ram, go to control panel and delete shit you dont need also go to msconfig and startup services and unselect anything you don't want starting up. Are you using xp or vista?

Date: June 17, 2009 07:21PM

ffxstoner Wrote:
> Oh its a pentium D. No that's good those are new
> still being sold today. Get more ram, go to
> control panel and delete shit you dont need also
> go to msconfig and startup services and unselect
> anything you don't want starting up. Are you using
> xp or vista?

Vista

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 07:14AM by WingNut.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 17, 2009 07:22PM

Na your pc is fine but you gave a kinda vague description of your issues... I used to fix people's pc's in their houses professionally (solo contractor, not GOC or GS) and I learned that I had to force people to communicate at a more technical level even if they don't like it... frequently I would have to sit there and point at things on the screen and define a vocabulary for them to use to explain things to me.

anyway, I agree with the other dude, paying a shop is bullshit if you have half a brain and can describe your problem in detail to us. I for one would offer any knowledge I have. But the fact is that most windows issues are trivial and can be fixed if you know the right terminology to look up the problem and learn solutions.

Then again, you may have a virus or some other ungodly issue that isn't easy to diagnose/repair... I hate that shit sometimes.

Date: June 17, 2009 07:44PM

x

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 07:14AM by WingNut.

Date: June 17, 2009 09:38PM

Were going to make your computer go back in time if you dont mind losing some data save it on a thumb drive. Go to start then hit run then type in msconfig. A little thing will popup hit system restore then you will see a calendar and choose a date were you know you weren't having that problem. Thats the easiest way for now.

Date: June 17, 2009 09:49PM

...adding Twilight Zone music.......

Date: June 17, 2009 10:15PM

x

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: June 17, 2009 10:59PM

Backup everything and do a clean install of Windows.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 18, 2009 05:13AM

WingNut,
for windorz vasta you need at least 2GB of ram to ensure steady performance. seriously, the "home premium" version needs 1.3GB on start up, it's completely ludicrous. there is also a huge ass lawsuit about this issue where computers like your's are barely scraping by with the most stripped down version of vasta.

Genevieve Wrote:
> Backup everything and do a clean install of
> Windows.

DO NOT DO THIS. windorz vasta has some hardcore antipiracy crap so that if you bought a computer with vasta, your license is directly linked to the vendor's (dell/hp/etc) version of vasta. they will only give you a "restore disc" instead of the install disc. so if you think "well, this key will work if i just download a copy of the same version of vasta" you are mistaken. i tried to get rid of the excess bullshit that hp put on a laptop with an install of the same damn version (home premium) but since it was OEM instead of HP's custom bullshit it wouldnt accept the key. actually, that's not true, i registered vasta with the key while it was running and it said it was fine. upon reboot it says i need to register it before it would let me even use vasta. that time the registration process failed repeatedly saying my license key was not valid. fuck macroshaft and their fucked up software. linux is the cure to the windorz plague.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2009 05:23AM by Gravis.

Date: June 18, 2009 07:44AM

x

Posted by: Fairfax22032 ()
Date: June 18, 2009 07:53AM

I need to keep Cedar PC in mind if I have problems in the future, but when I had an issue a few months ago with my shared family desktop not booting I used Craigslist with good success. The guy I contacted is a computer technician for FCPS and he charged me $125 for diagnostics, data recovery, reformatting the HD, Windows installation, and file restore and the work was done in less than 24 hours. The computer runs tons better than before (it is an older HP) and we lost just a handful of data.

The only downside of Craigslist is that you may need to reply to a lot of ads. Most of the guys I spoke with were jerks who wanted $100 or more just to look at the problem and didn't want to be bothered with actually diagnosing and repairing my problem.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 18, 2009 09:52AM

WingNut Wrote:
> Someone else told me that and I thought they were
> just trying to upsell me, I couldn't imagine that
> Vista wouldn't run well on 1 GB RAM. The highest
> RAM I'd had before this was 512

you can thank macroshaft for their efforts to make their code as inefficient as possible.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 18, 2009 11:11AM

Get Windows XP, while it is still a microsoft product, it is better than vista hands down.

backup everything and install XP, problems will go away

As for you favicon problem, install and use Firefox

Date: June 18, 2009 12:24PM

If your using vista basic you need a min of 512 if your using the others you need 1gig just to run it. I wouldn't change from vista it would be to much of a pain finding all the xp drivers for your pc etc.. A good free operating system you should look at is fedora you wont have to worry about any viruses and its user friendly.

Date: June 18, 2009 12:44PM

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2015 10:26PM by WingNut.

Posted by: Fairfax22032 ()
Date: August 04, 2009 08:14AM

fairfaxdude Wrote:
> Call CedarPC.com, in the cedar park shopping
> center in Vienna. 703-208-0858.
>
This place is GREAT! Our older family PC died following a power surge a couple of weeks ago. After seeing this post I decided to take it to CedarPC on Friday afternoon and was told that the motherboard was toast, but the hard drive was still readable. Spent $75 to have the data transferred to my Maxtor external drive and purchased a used Dell desktop loaded with Vista Home Premium for $110. Nothing great, but now my wife can check her e-mail and eBay.

This is one of those places that must get a lot of word of mouth business - excellent recommendation and definitely worth keeping in your address book.

Date: August 04, 2009 12:39PM

Fairfax22032 Wrote:
> fairfaxdude Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Call CedarPC.com, in the cedar park shopping
> > center in Vienna. 703-208-0858.
> >
> This place is GREAT! Our older family PC died
> following a power surge a couple of weeks ago.
> After seeing this post I decided to take it to
> CedarPC on Friday afternoon and was told that the
> motherboard was toast, but the hard drive was
> still readable. Spent $75 to have the data
> transferred to my Maxtor external drive and
> purchased a used Dell desktop loaded with Vista
> Home Premium for $110. Nothing great, but now my
> wife can check her e-mail and eBay.
>
> This is one of those places that must get a lot of
> word of mouth business - excellent recommendation
> and definitely worth keeping in your address book.

Hey, glad it worked out for you! Yeah, these are the kind of small businesses that thrive on word of mouth--I'd never go to Microcenter or Best Buy for help now.

Posted by: kevin ()
Date: August 04, 2009 01:41PM

surprisingly, the dudes at micro center are very good. the fairfax location actually happens to have the best service department in the chain. i would never compare them to best buy. that's just insulting. granted, the other employees in the store may not be able to provide you the same technical knowledge, but i'd feel more than comfortable letting micro center handle my computer (if i, for some reason, couldn't do it myself).

they did used to be slow. they were always backed up A LOT about a year or two ago, but they aren't anymore.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.